Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Billy Gardell from "Bob Hearts Abishola" lost 150 pounds. He looks fantastic!

Billy Gardell says he's "walking around pretty healthy these days" after losing more than 150 pounds.

The Bob Hearts Abishola star talked to Entertainment Tonight about the latest on his health journey since being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and undergoing gastric bypass surgery to reduce his risk of COVID-19. At his heaviest, Gardell was 370 pounds. In the nearly two years after the surgery, he said "I float between 205 and 210."

"I think you got to find peace with yourself and at some point, look in the mirror and go, 'You know, it's probably time to take care of you.' And I didn't get that note early on," he explained. "But I'm a big believer that when you get it, you get it. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as you get it."

Gardell noted that he had "chickened out" from doing the surgery twice, but ultimately felt inclined to do it at the peak of the pandemic. He wanted to address his heightened risk, as well as his earlier development of Type 2 diabetes. Most importantly, he wanted to be healthy for his son.

"When you hit 50, you start doing that dad math, like, 'If I can live 25 more years, and he'll be 40,' ... You know what I mean? So I want to be here for him," Gardell said. "I've been an example in a lot of good ways for my child, but I feel like I wasn't a good example of health for him. And so I want him to see that. It doesn't matter what age you are, if you are willing to do something a day at a time, you can change anything."

The actor noted that his evolving body continues to be a source of speculation and criticism as he exists in the public eye.

"Of course, there's always people online that, you know, when I was heavy, they were like 'You're too heavy!' And now it's like, 'Are you sick?'" he said. "Can I just walk the earth, please?"

Fortunately, he's felt an immense amount of support from the people that he works with on his current sitcom.

"One of the gifts of the show was to be able to, you know, talk to our producers and say, 'This is what I want to do' and they were incredibly supportive and they just gave little nods to it as it was happening," he explained. "The true people that were tortured here was my wardrobe guy and my makeup people. At one point, we were taping my neck back because my skin hadn’t adjusted yet and stuff, so god bless them. They got me through it. They made me look good all the way through. And it was a nice progression to have the audience watch in real time."

Gardell joked that his one complaint about his new body is that the ankles on his pants are now "too tight." He said, "I don't want to do yoga to get out of my pants. That's where I miss my fat boy pants, because you could drop them and step out like a fireman."

Jokes aside, he's happy about the potential of being a role model for others going through a similar journey.

"If you’re trying to lose weight, a day at a time is the most important thing. Sometimes an hour at a time." he said. "You know, in this life, sometimes you have to surrender. And asking for help is the thing people are most terrified about but it is the very thing where strength is born."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2024 1:20 AM

From 370#

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2023 11:11 AM

To 205#

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2023 11:12 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2023 11:15 AM

DL in its infinite wisdom decided last week that Gardell had cancer and was just days aways from death.

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2023 11:16 AM

He was great as Herschel Sparks on YOUNG SHELDON.

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2023 11:17 AM

I’m proud of him but I think he looked better at 370. He aged rapidly.

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2023 11:20 AM

The first thread was more interesting

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2023 11:23 AM

[QUOTE] I’m proud of him but I think he looked better at 370. He aged rapidly.

NOTHING ages one more rapidly than being morbidly obese. At 370, he would’ve been dead within 10-15 years. He potentially added decades to his life.

by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2023 11:25 AM

Il a choisi son cul.

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2023 11:30 AM

He looks like death. He needs to find that middle ground.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2023 11:36 AM

What do you have to eat to get to 370 lbs ? Lardsicles?

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2023 9:43 PM

Better off fat

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2023 9:56 PM

He’s giving strong, late-stage Burt Reynolds vibes in that tux picture.

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2023 9:59 PM

He had gastric bypass. He should have taken on an exercise routine so that loose fat would have some shape underneath it. That's what my husband did. There's still baggy skin to deal with but muscle tome makes you look less wasted.

by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2023 10:42 PM

^tone

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2023 10:42 PM

Enjoy your unemployment!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2024 3:23 PM

I have never heard of him or that show

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2024 3:28 PM

Ozempic Face

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2024 3:30 PM

He looks great and he's healthy. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2024 3:37 PM

Damn if he'd just waited 6 months he could've done ozempic

by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2024 3:41 PM

Good for him, and he looks fine - older but far healthier. He's 54 now. The moustache really doesnt suit him though, he looks better at R16's link

by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2024 5:24 PM

The key for Gardell is his shoulder width. I’m not sure if it’s due to working out or not, but he still has much of his shoulders from when he was big. A lot of times when guys lose lots of weight rapidly, they end up with weak, narrow shoulders from upper body muscle loss and it produces a bobble-head effect. Al Sharpton is a great example. But if you watch the video in R16, you’ll see that Gardell has wide, strong shoulders and that’s why he doesn’t look sickly and weak.

by Anonymousreply 22April 21, 2024 5:34 PM

He did the first Ozempic commercials.

He really took off after the Lorre comedy Mike and Molly that sent Melissa McCarthy to stardom.

by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2024 5:39 PM

I wonder if he had surgery to get rid of the massive flaps of skin he must undoubtedly have after losing that much weight....?

by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2024 5:40 PM

R24. Some people don't bother. My friend had bypass then skin removal surgery and he said the skin removal was much more painful and the recovery was torture. He regretted doing it.

by Anonymousreply 25April 21, 2024 5:51 PM

I never found him attractive before the weight loss and I love big guys. So now he’s really off my radar. He should shave that foolish mustache and buy some modern eyewear. Still, if he’s happy and healthy than good on him. Have to say, however, that he looks better than John Goodman, who’s a fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 26April 21, 2024 9:07 PM

Mr Skin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 21, 2024 10:29 PM

Good for him. I know he does look a bit older as he lost a lot of weight and probably too quickly due to gastric bypass, but the trade off of better health and less joint pain has got to be worth it.

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2024 1:12 AM

I'm not sure that people who've had gastric bypass are that much healthier. They all look unhealthy to me after the big weight loss. I had a female friend who had it done and she was dead a few years later from an infection. I think it introduces a whole new set of problems for many of them. Just look at all the health problems that Al Roker has had.

by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2024 1:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!