Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

*The* Gretchen Whitmer Thread

Gretchen Whitmer is very presidential, despite what she has said about not running. Great potential as a uniter and has accomplished a great deal in Michigan.

Progressive Democrat who comes across as relatable. See link—“Michigan’s First Dogs.” Love this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 18, 2024 2:28 AM

Just watched her interview this morning on 'CBS SUNDAY MORNING'. If Biden doesn't run, I thought she'd be an interesting and powerful candidate. I thought I'd like her more after this interview, but for some reason it did just the opposite for me. I don't know why. Yet, she will be an interesting candidate moving forward and I'd like to learn more about her.

PS - I think she'd be a great VP for Biden's second run.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2023 5:30 PM

Whitmer is awesome. My money was on her being Bidens VP.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2023 5:33 PM

I'm surprised the far right wing loons haven't attacked her lesbian daughter on social media and tv shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2023 5:46 PM

Don’t sleep on NC governor Roy Cooper. Maybe he can be her VP.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2023 5:50 PM

I'm a straight woman but I find her sexy as fuck. Get it Gretchen!

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2023 6:08 PM

Hope she loses the accent before attempting a national campaign.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2023 6:14 PM

As for the previously mentioned Roy Cooper, he needs to remain as the governor of N.C. In that role, he is an effective check on the bat shit craziness of the r-controlled legislature there. And that is an important role for any Democratic governor to hold in states where the legislature is not under control of the Democrats.

In Wisconsin, Democratic Governor Evers holds a similar power position that has effectively strangled some of the worst intents of the maga republicans that control the legislature in that state.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2023 6:20 PM

Big fan of hers

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2023 6:22 PM

If you put Whitmer next to fug freaks like Marjorie Taylor Greene, Elise Stefanik, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, and Elissa Slotkin-she comes off looking a super model compared to them.

Interesting tidbit, Whitmer was ranked 8 in the 2008 Maxim Hottest Politicians list. Sarah Palin was number 2 that year. Here's annoying Cenk and Ana from Young Turks talking about the list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2023 6:22 PM

She seems very likeable and intelligent. She’s not a stupid hillbilly like our governor is.

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2023 6:33 PM

[quote]Hope she loses the accent before attempting a national campaign.

What accent?

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2023 6:34 PM

If you are a Republican, you would love to have someone like Whitmer, who will be seen as even less likable than Hillary, run for president. There’s the same phenomenon for both of them, where their supporters think their super but unfortunately can’t see the unlikability. The supporters think that since they were successful in their home state, everyone will love them nationwide.

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2023 7:50 PM

R12, interesting point, but I just don’t see Whitmer triggering the visceral level of hatred in these voters that Hillary Clinton triggers. I have always supported Hillary but thought her whole “deplorable” bit was nothing short of political suicide.

I don’t buy that Whitmer is worse than Hillary, but any Dem woman running for president will have an uphill battle.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2023 8:01 PM

[quote]I just don’t see Whitmer triggering the visceral level of hatred in these voters that Hillary Clinton triggers.

I dunno, seems pretty visceral to me:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2023 8:04 PM

Horrible plot from some very unbalanced extremists, but 14 deplorables don’t speak for the entire country.

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2023 8:09 PM

I think she has potential. She should at least try to vie for a VP role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2023 8:25 PM

I despise HRC and I love big Gretch. Do you have any proof that Democrats and Independents don’t like Gretchen R12? We all know the GQP want to kidnap and kill her, but they won’t be voting for a Republican regardless.

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2023 8:29 PM

R15 Prior to the kidnapping plot arrests, there were several Michigan based Facebook groups where both men and women were pretty vile about how they talked about Whitmer. Some saying that she should be lynched, shot, beat up, beheaded, and the threats also extended to the state AG Dana Nessel. Nessel is Jewish and there was a recent story about how she was on some guy's hit list that had several Jewish politicians on it. Sadly, many regions of our country are still misogynistic and anti-Semitic. I hate to sound like a pessimist, but a part of me thinks it will be 20 years before a woman is elected POTUS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2023 8:34 PM

[quote]I hate to sound like a pessimist, but a part of me thinks it will be 20 years before a woman is elected POTUS.

I've long thought that a Republican woman will make it into the Oval Office before a Democratic one does.

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2023 8:37 PM

One of the things that made me like Whitmer is a video where she talked about supporting programs that help people get vocational training for trades careers. She said that people in society shouldn't push the idea that everyone needs to go to college and that many people can have good paying careers as mechanics, welders, electricians, plumbers etc.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2023 8:41 PM

She's beautiful, and scary (like she might kill you).

God help me.

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2023 4:59 PM

Gretchen for Prez, who’s with me?

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2023 5:01 PM

Why, why does God make creatures such as this?

I'd lick her all over, and die in her arms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2023 5:21 PM

I actually intended to post the link below.

Oh, well. God give me strength.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 6, 2023 5:26 PM

Interesting, how the lipstick lesbian has a crush on straight woman Whitmer. I'm an actual lesbian and nobody ever has crushes on me except my gummy tooth wife.

Also, Big Gretch's lesbian daughter needs to go Weight Watchers.

by Anonymousreply 25May 6, 2023 7:28 PM

Her sister is launching a Congressional run for an NY seat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 6, 2023 7:36 PM

Excuse me, R25, I was unaware of Lady Nessel's existence. Now that I AM aware, I say she can call me at ANY time, day or night. I'll cook for her, bathe her in rose water and pull out my black garter belt from the underwear drawer.

If you'd be so kind to let her know, please, and thank you.

by Anonymousreply 27May 6, 2023 7:51 PM

R27 I forgive you. It's not easy for elected lesbians like me since the lesbo idiot Lori Lightfoot fucked up things for other lesbian politicians.

by Anonymousreply 28May 6, 2023 8:07 PM

How wonderful to have a state attorney general who kisses her wife like this in public - "Fuck the haters, I'm a lesbian and I exist, we exist".

Cute. Thank you, Dana Nessel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 6, 2023 8:13 PM

Someone needs to stage an intervention with Gretchen regarding the botox and other work she's getting done on her face. She needs to tone it down.

by Anonymousreply 30May 6, 2023 8:16 PM

I love her. She doesn’t back down to shitbags one little bit.

by Anonymousreply 31May 6, 2023 8:52 PM

I adore her—so much so I'd want her to be protected from the inevitable onslaught of public abuses she'd suffer were she to announce a bid for presidency, or even be invited to join Biden's ticket. Like, I would fear for her life. She and her family are likely very aware of this risk, which is incredibly sad.

by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2023 9:12 PM

I like her vibe. She seems serious and smart like Newsom but doesn't come off as smug.

by Anonymousreply 33May 6, 2023 9:24 PM

R32 I think the likely death threats are probably why she will never run for president. Some nutso was arrested a couple of months back for online threats against Whitmer, LGBT people, and other politicians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 6, 2023 11:35 PM

Also, Trump should have been dragged more for egging on people in Michigan. Christian Nationalists who are Trumpsters also need to be called out more their anti-Semitism. Governor Josh Shapiro of Pennsylvania is another person who I think would make a good president like Whitmer. But, he would likely end up being the target of anti-Semitic threats from the Christian Nationalists.

by Anonymousreply 35May 6, 2023 11:40 PM

Her sister Liz Gereghty launched her Congressional campaign today. The sister is very frauish looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 9, 2023 10:27 PM

She has no interest in running for higher office. Now at least. She’s our governor.

by Anonymousreply 37May 9, 2023 10:28 PM

Of course she has no interest in running for office right now. Biden is running for reelection! Everyone is going to step aside and wait for the 2028 election.

Guarantee she will run then. Like 2020 a million people are going to run.

by Anonymousreply 38May 9, 2023 10:35 PM

She probably has no interest even then.

by Anonymousreply 39May 9, 2023 10:38 PM

Bitch better watch her moves!

by Anonymousreply 40May 9, 2023 11:07 PM

Oh Chasten. Pete can be VP.

by Anonymousreply 41May 9, 2023 11:10 PM

Pete has zero chance of ending up as VP on a presidential ticket. I don't think Whitmer will ever run for president.

by Anonymousreply 42May 9, 2023 11:12 PM

I would be pleasantly surprised if Buttigieg didn’t run for office here. I would be impressed.

by Anonymousreply 43May 10, 2023 12:32 AM

He could run for governor in Michigan and Chaster will be first Queen.

by Anonymousreply 44May 10, 2023 1:02 AM

[quote] Guarantee she will run then. Like 2020 a million people are going to run.

I'm already planning my 2028 run

by Anonymousreply 45May 10, 2023 1:05 AM

The Lipstick Lesbian in the thread probably doesn't know we exist.

by Anonymousreply 46May 11, 2023 9:42 PM

Hello, ladies (R46). I'm afraid I've been out of the loop for quite some time now when it comes to most state governments, as I haven't lived in the US since 1998. But I'm pleased to make your acquaintance. I'd like to extend an invitation to Miss Kotek for tea, so we may get to know each other.

by Anonymousreply 47May 12, 2023 1:01 AM

[quote]Bitch better watch her moves!

[quote] —Chasten

Oh, shut up Chasten. Your husband Petey looks haggard and wears boring suits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 19, 2023 1:55 PM

It's injustice that Vanity Fair is covering Whitmer and not my wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 16, 2023 12:01 AM

[quote] I despise HRC and I love big Gretch. Do you have any proof that Democrats and Independents don’t like Gretchen [R12]? We all know the GQP want to kidnap and kill her, but they won’t be voting for a Republican regardless.

Progressive types like the hosts and other commentators on The Young Turks, The Majority Report with Sam Seder, and other YouTube shows don't like Whitmer because she doesn't go far left like AOC or Bernie. Ana Kasparian, Emma Vigeland, and to a lesser extent Sam Seder are pained whenever they have to report/comment on things Whitmer has done in terms of reproductive rights, gay and lesbian protections, and union issues. There was a guy from Michigan who called in The Majority Report last fall and praised Whitmer for what she's done for abortion access in the state. Sam and Emma were a bit annoyed with the guy praising Whitmer. I imagine if Whitmer ran for president and was elected, Vigeland, Kasparian, Seder, and other similar YouTubers would be having meltdowns in private.

by Anonymousreply 50June 16, 2023 12:45 AM

[quote] PS - I think she'd be a great VP for Biden's second run.

Nobody loves me.

by Anonymousreply 51June 20, 2023 12:24 AM

A Newsome/Whitmer ticket would be a tsunami level victory.

by Anonymousreply 52July 11, 2023 4:11 AM

Someone really needs to tell her to stop screwing up her face with botox and other procedures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 18, 2023 1:30 AM

I like Gavin Newsome, but a liberal Democrat from California will be a very, very hard sell. I assume he will run at some point, but I don't think it will be easy for him at all, despite whatever predictions fans are making now.

by Anonymousreply 54July 18, 2023 1:33 AM

UGH THERE'S NO FUCKING "E" AT THE END OF MY LAST NAME.

by Anonymousreply 55July 18, 2023 1:35 AM

See, that right there is gonna cost you, Gavin. Start spelling your name right!

by Anonymousreply 56July 18, 2023 1:36 AM

Someone upthread mentioned Roy Cooper. The Dems should get behind Cooper or Andy Beshear as possible future presidential candidates.

by Anonymousreply 57July 18, 2023 1:41 AM

I wonder if she wears the harsh makeup to make hersrlf look more formidable. I was looking at the pics thinking, jeez, soften up the look, but maybe there's a point to looking sharp. Like r21 said, beautiful and scary.

by Anonymousreply 58July 18, 2023 2:42 AM

I realize that no matter who is running the state, I hate them by default because I hate Michigan. No matter what the standing governor does, they can't fix my visceral hatred for Michigan and the fact that I loathe it here. I've only been "cognizant" of the governors since Granholm, and I was indifferent toward her because in my mind, Michigan just sucks regardless. I can't find one thing to like about the state. Not one.

by Anonymousreply 59July 18, 2023 3:50 AM

Cute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 21, 2023 3:20 AM

r59 then move.

by Anonymousreply 61July 21, 2023 3:21 AM

She has beautiful daughters, one is a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 62July 21, 2023 3:22 AM

This is corny, but it's inspiring to see her being supportive of the lesbian daughter. It's a bright spot in a crazy country that still has a lot of homophobia going on.

by Anonymousreply 63July 21, 2023 4:23 AM

r61 I did. I had to move back to this ugly mother fucker for familial obligations.

by Anonymousreply 64July 21, 2023 5:38 PM

[quote] She has beautiful daughters, one is a lesbian.

They look real-life versions of Cabbage Patch dolls. The chubby brunette lesbian Sherry isn't bad looking. I feel sorry for the blonde girl Sydney who really didn't get any of her mom's looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 1, 2023 2:59 PM

Also, the daughters will probably go on weight loss drugs and will dabble into plastic surgery at some point.

by Anonymousreply 66August 1, 2023 3:01 PM

Still denying any interest in the White House.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 27, 2023 1:48 AM

I love her

by Anonymousreply 68October 27, 2023 1:52 AM

Gretchen's dad was pretty hot in a 70s dad kind of way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 27, 2023 1:59 AM

^^^ The dad pings to high heaven and looks like he's smelling cookies in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 70November 22, 2023 12:45 AM

She has gone too far with the botox and other work on her face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 29, 2024 1:52 PM

Interesting, book coming out in July.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 5, 2024 5:49 AM

This thread didn't age well.

by Anonymousreply 73April 5, 2024 7:00 AM

R73 Of course, it didn't. She went overboard with the procedures and is now basically the Democratic version of Kristi Noem.

by Anonymousreply 74May 6, 2024 8:11 PM

Hopefully, she includes a section about adopting/rescuing animals.

by Anonymousreply 75May 6, 2024 8:18 PM

R75 The dogs she owns look like purebreds. That said, the dogs are probably treated well and not abused.

by Anonymousreply 76May 16, 2024 2:40 AM

The person who styled her for the Webby Awards need to be slapped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 18, 2024 2:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!