Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Legendary Conservative Theater Critic, Michael Riedel

Is this guy straight? He’s so bitchy and hated by everyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 6, 2024 6:26 PM

I’ve always wondered about him.

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2023 2:40 AM

He’s kind of a CUTE nerd.

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2023 2:41 AM

I loved his two books about Broadway from the 1970’s through 9/11. Dishy, fast-paced, and, yes, bitchy. I was also shocked when he thanked a wife in the acknowledgements.

I suppose if you’re from that world, gay isn’t a big deal so why would he lie about it? He has a VERY gay sensibility though.

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2023 2:43 AM

Is he conservative? He comes off as very liberal on those old episodes of Theater Talk.

by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2023 2:44 AM

[quote]When you read New York Post theater columnist Michael Riedel, there's no mistaking whom the writer is.

Oh, fucking DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2023 2:45 AM

I've actually spent time with him and some of my friends worked with him at the Post back in the day, that's how I met him. He's a smart guy and nothing like his "punchy" persona, really nice to talk to and not snobby or anything.

by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2023 2:45 AM

Edna at 7.00 says he is 'serious theatre journalist'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2023 2:48 AM

[quote] Legendary Conservative Theater Critic

Op, what is it about him that makes you brand him as 'conservative'?

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2023 2:49 AM

Isn't Dame Edna and right wing cunt?

by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2023 2:53 AM

[quote] Op, what is it about him that makes you brand him as 'conservative'?

Michael Riedel (born December 24, 1966) is an American theatre critic, conservative broadcaster, and columnist. He is the co-host of "Len Berman and Michael Riedel in the Morning" on 710 WOR in New York City, weekdays 6-10am. Riedel has been a controversial and influential Broadway columnist of the New York Post for over 20 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2023 2:54 AM

[quote] Dame Edna … right wing?

What makes you say that, R9? What have you heard?

by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2023 2:57 AM

I know Riedel is at least bisexual, because a male friend of mine told me that he (Riedel) seriously came on to him some years ago, and my friend had absolutely no reason to lie about that.

by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2023 2:59 AM

That biography at R10 brands him as 'conservative' but I can't see anything in it which justifies that branding.

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2023 3:01 AM

He is a conservative and he is straight. There was an article about him a few years ago that confirmed both these things. It didn’t literally say Michael Reidel, heterosexual, lol but it talked about his relationships with women. It did also go into his politics.

I found it odd when I read the article that his personal politics seemed to conflict with the majority of people’s rights of people he worked with…but I think that happens a lot

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2023 3:04 AM

Wikipedia says he joined the Young Republicans when he was 12. But that's about the only reference I found about his conservatism.

I remember reading an article after Obama became president, and he expressed how disappointed he was that he was hoping Obama would become another FDR. Maybe he's one of those New York Rockefeller Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2023 3:06 AM

Do his private beliefs have any bearing on him writing a history of Broadway.

And anyway the OP has dished up a story which is SEVEN YEARS OLD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2023 3:11 AM

[quote]He is a conservative and he is straight. There was an article about him a few years ago that confirmed both these things.

How amusing that you think he must be straight just because it said so in an article you read. Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2023 2:24 PM

[quote] Legendary Conservative Theater Critic

Op, what is it about him that makes you brand him as 'legendary'?

by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2023 8:59 PM

That's what I'd like to know, R18. OP speaks of Riedel like he's the late John Simon.

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2023 9:01 PM

He is a right wing conservative and very open about that. I listen to him and Len Berman, a moderate Democrat, sometimes in the morning. He married a woman last year or maybe the year before. It is his first marriage and he is in his 50s.

by Anonymousreply 20February 11, 2023 9:06 PM

I can confirm he's straight. I went out with him a few times in the early 2000s. He was badly hung up on some theater ingenue (if he told me her name, I've forgotten it) who either dumped him or he was in unrequited love with. He's very smart, super snarky, and blonde, pretty much the top things I'm attracted to.

by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2023 11:29 PM

[quote] He's very smart, super snarky, and blonde…

But does he go to the right synagogue?

by Anonymousreply 22February 11, 2023 11:33 PM

I was forced to take a criticism class in art school. I wanted to strangle. I couldn’t help thinking where is there art. I get that they may help sell papers but really. I mean get a life.

by Anonymousreply 23February 11, 2023 11:34 PM

Straight from his mouth: "I'm a conservative republican, so I don't really argue that I want to see lots of plays denouncing George Bush because that's boring, and you're preaching to the converted. I want to see sort of the one man Jesse Helms play that's a celebration of his life. That would really turn the town on its head!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 11, 2023 11:35 PM

[quote] What makes you say that, [R9]? What have you heard?

You’re joking, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 11, 2023 11:36 PM

But R25, what words and thoughts has Humphries uttered that disagrees with your superior morals and philosophy?

by Anonymousreply 26February 11, 2023 11:39 PM

Riedel has never been a "theatre critic". He's a gossip columnist, nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2023 12:01 AM

[quote] He's a gossip columnist.

And I haven't picked up his 7 years old book which costs $15 on Amazon, R16.

by Anonymousreply 28February 12, 2023 12:07 AM

[quote]I can confirm he's straight. I went out with him a few times in the early 2000s. He was badly hung up on some theater ingenue (if he told me her name, I've forgotten it) who either dumped him or he was in unrequited love with.

That doesn't "confirm that he's straight." As I reported elsewhere, a male friend of mine said that Riedel came on to him big time quite a few years ago, and my friend had absolutely no reason to make up the story. He did say that Riedel was drunk at the time (an apparently frequent occurrence) and also, if I recall correctly, that Riedel tried to talk my friend into a threesome with the two of them and a woman, but I would still say it's inaccurate to simply describe him as "straight."

by Anonymousreply 29February 12, 2023 12:18 AM

R21, huh? How does your experience proves he is straight?

by Anonymousreply 30February 12, 2023 2:05 PM

[quote]I want to see sort of the one man Jesse Helms play that's a celebration of his life. That would really turn the town on its head!

He wants to see a one-man play celebrating the life of a white supremacist supply-sider homophobe? Oh, yeah, that would really shake 'em up in midtown. A regular Belle of Amherst, but with hoods! What an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 31February 12, 2023 2:22 PM

R20 So he said he's a conservative, do you think he's a MENACE to society?

Do we need to start a boycott, R20?

by Anonymousreply 32February 12, 2023 7:29 PM

R25 Oh, fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 33February 12, 2023 7:33 PM

He’s an arrogant, pompous, self-important blowhard without an ounce of talent of his own — even for snark. It just comes off as mean-spirited without humor snark requires. And he revels in mean-spiritedness. He’s pitiful, lonely, fetid, angry, short-sighted, uninteresting and cruel.

by Anonymousreply 34February 12, 2023 7:51 PM

Oh, R34, I think you might be describing 60% of Datalounge.

But we don't have our own TV show and we didn't publish a $15 book 7 years ago (R16).

by Anonymousreply 35February 12, 2023 8:05 PM

R32, no boycott. I WILLINGLY listen to him because he is about the only right winger I can stand, and I like the comparative dialogue between him and Len. I don’t think he is a MENACE but do think he is a bit of an ass.

by Anonymousreply 36February 12, 2023 8:12 PM

^ Go take pleasure in his assness.

by Anonymousreply 37February 12, 2023 8:14 PM

So a DLer “went out with him a few times” (see r21 ) and that proves he’s straight?

I know we don’t have any straight women cunts on our site, right?

by Anonymousreply 38February 12, 2023 8:29 PM

Maybe what R21 is too delicate to say is that he tore up her kitty like the voracious hound he is, leaving no doubt that a turbo-driven heterosexual male lurks right under the pinky-lifting shade-throwing poindexter surface.

by Anonymousreply 39February 12, 2023 9:05 PM

Can you really be a "legendary" theater critic if you're writing for the New York Post?

by Anonymousreply 40February 12, 2023 9:31 PM

R14- We'll take your word for it- he's a PUSSYHOUND

by Anonymousreply 41February 12, 2023 9:51 PM

His conservative bent is very evident in the THEATER TALK episodes with "critics round tables." Watch how he pounces on Susan Haskins every time she tries to make a feminist point, or how he rolls his eyes at HAMILTON as overly woke garbage.

He fares much better as an interviewer -- he generally comes across as well-prepared and respectful and gets good responses from his guests.

by Anonymousreply 42February 12, 2023 10:11 PM

He was head over heels for a beautiful dancer in a big musical about 10-12 years ago and she wouldn't give him the time of day. Well, look at him!

by Anonymousreply 43February 13, 2023 4:38 PM

Last year he married girlfriend of ten years. Bought Camille Paglia's adjacent apartment. Talked on morning radio show (WOR AM 710, 6:00-10:00) about what a horror the renovation has become.

by Anonymousreply 44February 13, 2023 5:02 PM

He should form a support group with David Mamet, Twyla Tharp, and Laurie Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 45February 13, 2023 6:31 PM

[quote]Oh, fuck off. —barry is golden

And a Right-winger. Always has been.

by Anonymousreply 46February 13, 2023 6:36 PM

[quote] Can you really be a "legendary" theater critic if you're writing for the New York Post?

Cindy Adams, Dear Abby, and a load of other ones wrote for the Post. Legends.

by Anonymousreply 47February 13, 2023 6:38 PM

[quote] Always has been.

And how has that affected you, R46? How has this allegation impinged on your life?

by Anonymousreply 48February 13, 2023 6:48 PM

Dear Abby was syndicated, R67. I don't know if Cindy Adams was/is as well.

by Anonymousreply 49February 13, 2023 7:35 PM

Cindy Adams has been in a coma for the last 10 years.. A mailboy writes her column.

by Anonymousreply 50February 14, 2023 1:57 AM

Oh, you can certainly be legendary as a gossip columnist at the NY Post. What's a rag like that for, if not gossip?

But a theater critic has to have a few brain cells to rub together. I don't think they go for that kind of thing at the Post.

by Anonymousreply 51February 14, 2023 4:34 AM

Good God he's a cunt, and I'm pretty sure he posts here. He's a real asshole to Julie Andrews and people who have health issues in this vid from 1996, and I've seen the same unforgiving attitude here, for example. This guy needs to be put in this past where he belongs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 28, 2023 7:42 AM

He's the devil. At 2:10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 28, 2023 1:01 PM

Does he have a nice dick?

by Anonymousreply 54March 29, 2024 11:41 PM

I worked with him once, and was also on jury duty with him once.

He doesn't ping at all. He's straight. Bitchy, but straight.

by Anonymousreply 55May 6, 2024 4:27 PM

I loved Razzle Dazzle. The whole Shubert section would make a great miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 56May 6, 2024 6:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!