Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Girls5Eva"

I got Peacock to watch "Poker Face" and came across this show. It's hysterical – a flash-in-the-pan girl group from the late 1990s, now in their forties, decide to reunite and tour.

The casting is great. Renee Elise Goldsberry is the group diva; obviously she's a great singer but she's also a very funny comedienne. Busy Philipps is very good as a Botoxed Jersey housewife and Paula Pell is a riot as a bitter lesbian dentist. Sara Bareilles plays the "normal" mother who works in a restaurant.

Very funny writing as well. If you liked "Difficult People" or "The Other Two" you'd likely enjoy this.

Has anyone else watched it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 6, 2024 1:15 PM

So it's not as dreadful as the trailer? I want my 2 minutes back.😵‍💫🤡👎👎💩

by Anonymousreply 1February 2, 2023 12:47 AM

I'll check it out OP. It's got a 96% critics rating on RT.

by Anonymousreply 2February 2, 2023 12:52 AM

I watched the first few episodes when it came out a couple of years ago. I thought it had potential. But I got busy and never went back to watch the rest of it. It's moving to Netflix for season 3.

by Anonymousreply 3February 2, 2023 12:54 AM

I watched it, the show has a lot of charm I enjoyed it. It will definitely find an audience when it hits Netflix. Not enough people give a damn about Peacock.

by Anonymousreply 4February 2, 2023 12:59 AM

I love that their career tanked after the single "Stop Flying Planes Into My Heart."

It was released Sept. 10, 2001.

by Anonymousreply 5February 2, 2023 3:55 AM

This looks fun!

by Anonymousreply 6February 2, 2023 4:02 AM

I’m really glad my UK friends can now start watching it on Netflix.

I adore Sarah Bareilles and Renee Elise Goldsberry in this but Busy Philips is often tacky and unfunny and Paula Pell looks way too old to be their contemporary.

by Anonymousreply 7February 2, 2023 4:12 AM

[quote]Paula Pell looks way too old to be their contemporary.

I think that's part of the joke. In the flashbacks she's clearly the youngest one and in the modern group she's got ten years on all of them.

by Anonymousreply 8February 2, 2023 5:15 AM

I don’t think it’s meant to be a joke, R8. They cast her because they wanted her. She’s got good comedy timing and is likeable. But she’s still miscast.

by Anonymousreply 9February 2, 2023 1:03 PM

The first season is pretty funny - there were some niche, throwaway cycling jokes about Bareille’s husband that had me in fits.

I swear I had ‘New York Lonely Boy’ stick in my head for DAYS after I watched the show, it’s actually really catchy.

by Anonymousreply 10February 4, 2023 12:30 AM

I downloaded “New York Lonely Boy.” It was worth the moolah. So good.

by Anonymousreply 11February 4, 2023 7:17 PM

Reviews are good. All six episodes of season 3 out on Netflix today, March 14th!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 14, 2024 3:18 PM

Paula Pell still looks a decade older than the others.

by Anonymousreply 13March 15, 2024 4:03 AM

I never thought Paula Pell’s character was meant to be the youngest of the group. My impression was that she’s meant to be around 7-10 years older than the other characters, and looked young enough during her girl group era to blend in. Once the group ended, she let herself go because she never expected to be famous again. I can’t remember if any of that is explicit in the show, though.

by Anonymousreply 14March 15, 2024 4:15 AM

r14 Your impression was correct. That's the whole joke, i.e. that one member was so much older than the others and that this aged almost disabled lesbian is now on a national tour with them.

by Anonymousreply 15March 15, 2024 4:27 AM

Not even a minute into the third season and already cackling at their Fort Worth song. Such a shame this show never got big, the jokes are hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 16March 15, 2024 4:28 AM

Evangeline you woke up from your coma!

by Anonymousreply 17March 15, 2024 5:02 AM

I love this show! I paid for Peacock for way too long due to it. Rewatching it and I'm so happy for season 3. I love Paula Pell in this too. So many great moments and side characters

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2024 3:51 AM

I stayed up way too late binging season 3 last night. I was howling with laughter at several points. There better be a season 4. So many good payoffs. How in the hell can you hate Paula Pell?

by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2024 2:54 PM

Nobody else is watching it? That appearance by the Property Brothers made me not exactly a fan, but certainly gave me a newfound respect for them? And the guy who played Mad Dog was so dreamy

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2024 7:41 PM

Just finished the first episode. Prince Andrew just went on and on and on naming his stuffed animals through the credits, this show is crazy.

by Anonymousreply 21March 18, 2024 7:49 PM

Are you starting at season 3 or from the beginning?

by Anonymousreply 22March 18, 2024 8:16 PM

No, I'm watching the third season now.

by Anonymousreply 23March 18, 2024 8:17 PM

Oh, sorry, misread that. I'm watching the third season now, but watched the previous two seasons as they came out. I'm an original fan!

by Anonymousreply 24March 18, 2024 8:18 PM

Me too! I paid for Peacock just for the show. You are in for a treat this season!

by Anonymousreply 25March 18, 2024 8:29 PM

Here is Road Dog

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 18, 2024 9:54 PM

It’s the funniest show on tv right now. I have to rewind because I miss jokes while I’m laughing at the last one. Be sure to pause and read Gloria’s list of types of women she’s gonna screw. I just hate the short seasons.

by Anonymousreply 27March 18, 2024 10:51 PM

I loved this series in its first run and was so glad to to see a new season. The writing and performances are so sharp.

I started watching what I thought was the new season last night, but it was actually the first episode, but I didn’t mind because it was so funny. I’m going to do a series re-watch.

A nurse to Sarah at the start of the show: “Your breasts are perfect… for a mammogram: they’re already all squashed.”.

by Anonymousreply 28March 19, 2024 2:08 AM

Is this season only going to be a total of 6 episodes or are they doing a split season?

by Anonymousreply 29March 19, 2024 2:12 AM

Paula Pell was hilarious as Elaine Stritch in Documentary Now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 19, 2024 2:56 AM

Wickie, bemoaning that at her lowest she worked as a background actor on "The Goldbergs":

"Have YOU ever walked through a Jeff Garlin fart cloud? Because I have."

Renee Goldsberry is fantastic as Wickie.

by Anonymousreply 31March 19, 2024 2:57 AM

Actually really funny. Just finishing the first season.

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2024 2:06 AM

Poker Face is entertaining but how can one person stumble upon so many murders?

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2024 2:30 AM

^^^

Oh, you’d be surprised…

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2024 2:41 AM

I love that they survive on tour by using credit card points to stay at "Marriott Divorced Dad Suitelets," with sad middle-aged men in the lobby, buying prewrapped presents out of a vending machine.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2024 2:57 AM

I swear the third season is the funniest one yet, just finished the fourth episode. I only watch one every two to three days because I want it to last. That daddy song during the credits was outrageous! So glad it's on Netflix now and more people are discovering it, I saw Reddit waking up to it as well recently.

Oh, and Renée Elise Goldsberry is absolutely unhinged as Wickie. I had no idea she'd make me cackle so much when I first saw her in Altered Carbon where her charisma immediately made her stand out from the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2024 12:01 PM

[quote]Oh, and Renée Elise Goldsberry is absolutely unhinged as Wickie. I had no idea she'd make me cackle so much when I first saw her in Altered Carbon where her charisma immediately made her stand out from the rest of the cast.

I knew she was pretty and she could sing, but she's a killer comedian too. Love Wickie!

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2024 6:40 PM

Omfg! Rewatching it and apparently I missed like 30 jokes the first time. I hope it gets a couple more seasons. Maybe more since I feel like it's improving with time

by Anonymousreply 38April 2, 2024 11:23 PM

How have I never heard of this before? I will be checking it out.

Were there any manufactured American girl bands in the Girls Aloud, All Saints, Spice Girls model? Plenty of American boy bands, black female groups like En Vogue existed and a legit band like the GoGos doesn’t count. Freestyle groups like Expose weren’t designed as teen idols. Just thinking out loud.

by Anonymousreply 39April 2, 2024 11:34 PM

Very clearly a Tina Fey production. Many of the jokes could come straight out of 30Rock or Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

by Anonymousreply 40April 3, 2024 3:37 AM

Cease and desist!

by Anonymousreply 41April 5, 2024 8:57 PM

So what are you waiting FIVE?

by Anonymousreply 42April 5, 2024 10:49 PM

Just finished the third season and the closing "Get It Off Your Chest" song was hysterical! So many embarrassing little life truths in there.

My favourite line of the season was probably Paula Pell's "Oh my god, have you not shit yet still?" to her rescue squirrel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 6, 2024 1:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!