Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

George Jetson is going to be born in 10 days - where are all the flying cars?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2024 3:21 PM

I love how the future is so progressive. Judy Jetson was a carefree hoe with no shaming involved. I imagine they eradicated all STIs by this point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2022 7:40 PM

It's a wrinkle in time George Jetson is about to be born while adult George Jetson is somewhere in syndication...

Marty, get the DeLorean George needs our help!

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2022 7:48 PM

The flying cars might be decades in the future...

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2022 7:50 PM

As a little kid I sincerely believed that the future would be like the Jetsons... I'm still waiting 😠

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2022 7:54 PM

The Jetsons used to disturb me as a kid because they lived in apartments suspended on poles that were probably hundreds of thousands of feet above the ground. Nobody had fear of heights? Jetsons parodies constantly bring up how easy murder could be. Just push someone out that window.

Flying cars sounds dangerous and terrifying. People can't drive for shit on land, imagine hundreds of feet in the air. I assume they would be self-driving.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2022 7:56 PM

Wow OP! Very cool tidbit. How did you discover that fact?

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2022 7:58 PM

@r5, " Jetsons parodies constantly bring up how easy murder could be. Just push someone out that window. "

😂

Have you ever been to an apartment building in NYC or Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2022 8:07 PM

@r5, "Flying cars sounds dangerous and terrifying"

You don't fly commercial, do you?

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2022 8:09 PM

R8 There's a big difference between pilots who are licensed and trained and regular people who are dumb as rocks and disregard driving regulations. I would assume flying cars would be available to everyone from teenagers to the elderly. And unlike cars on the ground where there's an accident and you can run out or have someone pull you out. If you're high in the air, you're SOL.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2022 8:14 PM

^ You do know that 1000s more people die in car wrecks than plane crashes, right? How about those high rise apartments? How many people get pushed out the window every year?

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2022 8:17 PM

R10 Yes and with flying cars would entail 1000s of deaths just in the air because many people are impatient and irresponsible with driving. Unless the population was more scarce and there was no heavy traffic. I like the theory it's post apocalyptic with the Earth is uninhabitable and The Jetsons and others are survivors who went above the surface.

And people pushed out of windows in cities could possibly still survive depending on high the apartment is. In the Jetsons world, the chance of survival would be zero.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2022 8:22 PM

^ you're weird 😂

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2022 8:49 PM

Should been 90's Tom Hanks, but they blew it.

by Anonymousreply 13July 30, 2022 8:48 PM

Happy literal birth day tomorrow, George!

by Anonymousreply 14July 30, 2022 9:03 PM

Is it too late to abort?

by Anonymousreply 15July 30, 2022 9:09 PM

I always thought it was weird that Judy already had white hair when she was only a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 16July 30, 2022 9:13 PM

We do have robot sex-slave maids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 30, 2022 9:33 PM

Jane! Stop this crazy thread.

by Anonymousreply 18July 30, 2022 10:20 PM

Rosey was really a shaved ice grater who identified as a robot.

by Anonymousreply 19July 30, 2022 10:31 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GEORGE!

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2022 1:05 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2022 1:11 PM

Planes don’t really fly in three dimensions like the personal flying vehicles of the future did in our imaginations. Planes go up, settle at an altitude (for the most part), and fly straight. a flying car would be more like a helicopter, which are much harder to pilot and seem to crash a lot. And that’s without having to maneuver around other helicopters or land in spots other that a helicopter pad.

by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2022 1:25 PM

He fucked Rosie. It's her baby!

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2022 1:39 PM

r17 She's a real doozy!

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2022 3:58 PM

Coming...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2024 1:58 PM

An absolute disaster, R25. As R22 said, planes fly in quite a rigidly regulated space, and a lot of planning and work goes into making sure flights are predictable and safe. Imagine thousands - nay [italic]millions[/italic] of entitled assholes just flying willy nilly in three dimensions (and, in the U.S., with guns!)

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2024 2:28 PM

r26 Yep. Even delivery drones have proven to be a nuisance, imagine cars flying everywhere. A drunk driver wouldn't just crash into another car or a pedestrian or the occasional corner shop, they could crash into any apartment *anywhere*. Or someone could decide to suicide into Streisand's living room because they wanted to go out in style, the possibilities for disaster are truly endless.

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2024 2:59 PM

Or, they are programmed by AI, start point +end point and route is plotted avoiding all obstacles?

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2024 3:08 PM

r28 They said the same thing about self-driving cars ages ago and we still can't get them to work safely outside of Waymo's hailing service in ‎Phoenix, SF, ‎L.A. and ‎Austin. We'd need to figure that out first and have it work to perfection before we let cars up in the air.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2024 3:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2024 3:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!