Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Ghosts’ Has Become Such a Big Hit That Even CBS Execs Are Surprised: ‘TikTok Is Blowing Up!’

“Ghosts” may be the unlikeliest comedy hit in recent CBS history. It’s a single-camera half-hour, adapted from a cult U.K. series, and it’s not from Chuck Lorre. Yet the show, which was just renewed for a second season, has already become a breakout for the Eye network, averaging 8.1 million viewers season-to-date, and improving its time period 15% from last year.

And that’s just on linear, where “Ghosts” is the No. 2 comedy on broadcast, behind only CBS’ “Young Sheldon.” It is also performing well on Paramount Plus, which reports that it’s the No. 1 comedy on the streamer.

“It’s the most pleasant kind of surprise,” says CBS Entertainment president Kelly Kahl. “Material we fell in love with, a pilot we fell in love with. It’s like most hits, nothing screamed that, ‘hey, this is gonna be a breakout hit.’ We hoped for it. We always do. But it was a little bit of a departure from what we normally do. So it’s enormously gratifying to see the show that builds a little each week, increasing audience, the delayed viewing, the streaming numbers, and just the buzz.

“It’s also gratifying to put a big four-quadrant, mass appeal hit back on broadcast TV,” Kahl adds. “It’s fun reading the tweets. We have to take it as a compliment that a lot of people are saying, ‘I can’t believe this show’s on broadcast TV.’ ”

The series stars Rose McIver and Utkarsh Ambudkar as Sam and Jay, who inherit a mansion in the countryside that they plan to turn into a B&B. But when Sam hits her head in an accident, she starts to see the ghosts from different eras who inhabit the manor, including an American Revolutionary War officer (Brandon Scott Jones), a 1920s jazz singer (Danielle Pinnock), a Viking (Devan Chandler Long), the home’s original owner Hetty (Rebecca Wisocky), a Lenape Native American (Román Zaragoza), a hippie (Sheila Carrasco), a 1980s Boy Scout leader (Richie Moriarty) and a late-’90s wolf of Wall Street (Asher Grodman).

Just like the original 2019 BBC series, “Ghosts” takes full advantage of that large ensemble, diving into each character’s backstory and the comedic give-and-take among the spooks, the “living” who can see them and Sam’s husband, who cannot. “We have a lot of very interesting characters and great actors, and that gives us a lot of places to go,” says executive producer Joe Wiseman. “We like to do stories that sometime take place in the past. Sometimes they take place in the present or a mix of the two. It really gives us an opportunity to start digging in deeper.”

CBS chief marketing officer Mike Benson says “Ghosts” is also gaining traction in social media, appealing to a younger audience that isn’t normally known for their love of content on the Eye. “The really interesting that’s happened this year is with ‘Ghosts,’ it’s got a very broad diverse audience where we not only see our core 45-plus CBS audience watching but we also are seeing teens watching,” Benson says. “TikTok is blowing up over ‘Ghosts,’ which you might scratch your head and say ‘really, CBS has a show that’s doing really well on TikTok?'”

“It’s been really gratifying,” says fellow EP Joe Port. “People are telling me that they watch it with their families. That’s awesome; you can get things on different levels.”

In some ways, “Ghosts” is a modern, sophisticated version of the high-concept premises that once dominated sitcoms like “I Dream of Jeannie.” But the producers say the fact that their lead character shares a name with Samantha of “Bewitched” is a coincidence. “Although this is a show about ghosts, we want the stories to be real,” Wiseman says. “Ultimately, the show isn’t about the supernatural: We consider the ghosts as people — they live lives, and we want to tell stories that are relatable to everyone.”

There are ghosts everywhere on “Ghosts,” but don’t expect to see a spinoff just yet. “We’re concentrating on this one right now, but yes, this does seem like something that could be franchised anywhere,” Port says.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512April 26, 2024 8:20 PM

But for now, Port, Wiseman and CBS are content for now to focus on planning Season 2, as Sam and Jay prepare to open their B&B, much to the spirits’ chagrin.

“The last five episodes [of Season 1] are building toward the opening of the B&B,” Port says. “In the British version, they actually never opened the B&B so far over three seasons. But, we did as many episodes in one season as they did in three seasons. We have to tell a lot more stories in a year and just because we’re opening the B&B doesn’t mean it’s going to be the guest of the week. There’s going to be a lot of stories that happen when there are no guests there. There’s going to be fits and starts, but we do like the storytelling engine of being able to just have people drop in and without too much trouble on our part for coming up with a reason why they’re there.”

Future episodes will continue to introduce a few more ghosts — it’s a large property, after all — as well as the return of Crash, the headless 1950s ghost seen in the pilot.

As for next season, there’s a chance that “Ghosts” might produce even more than this season’s 18 episodes (limited by COVID contingencies). And Kahl says growing “Ghosts” into an even bigger hit is a priority at the network.

“I think we’ve just scratched the surface in terms of potential audience,” Kahl says.

by Anonymousreply 1February 4, 2022 12:53 AM

The previews for that show look really good.

I've been meaning to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 2February 4, 2022 12:54 AM

It’s fun, and sweet.

Love the revolutionary, closeted dude.

The hippie chick actress has the same last name as my moms maiden name, I wonder if we’re related. 😛😛

by Anonymousreply 3February 4, 2022 12:58 AM

It's consistently funny. The actors are solid.

by Anonymousreply 4February 4, 2022 2:24 AM

The writing and campiness is what’s special about the show. Like the Golden Girls cast, all the characters balance each other well.

by Anonymousreply 5February 4, 2022 2:38 AM

I've loved Rebecca Wisocky since her turn on Devious Maids.

by Anonymousreply 6February 4, 2022 3:16 AM

This is the first I've ever heard of this show.

by Anonymousreply 7February 4, 2022 3:18 AM

It's fantastic. Funny and touching and witty. The acting is good across the board as well. So glad this is a hit.

by Anonymousreply 8February 4, 2022 3:25 AM

It is such a fun, show I'm glad I found this thread. It has that Bewitched and I Dream of Jennie feeling. And, since they are going to actually open their B&B it opens up such great stories maybe a guest can also see ghosts, or maybe they have a ghost that travels with them.

by Anonymousreply 9February 4, 2022 4:29 AM

I binge watched the BBC version on a plane ride and loved it. Need to watch this version and I'm glad to read the premise translated well across the pond, cause sometimes American remakes just don't cut it.

by Anonymousreply 10February 4, 2022 4:38 AM

Tell me about the closeted dude, R3!

Is he cute?

by Anonymousreply 11February 4, 2022 6:53 AM

Yeah, it's weird and fun. I thought by now they would have run out of ideas for episodes. But they keep bringing in new ghosts so it won't get stale.

I love the wall street dude who died without his pants.

by Anonymousreply 12February 4, 2022 7:04 AM

I watched the first couple episodes but didn't keep up with it. It was much better than the trailers made it look so I may try to catch up at some point. On a related note I'd like Utkarsh Ambudkar in me QUITE deeply

by Anonymousreply 13February 4, 2022 7:47 AM

Who is the gay revolutionary?

by Anonymousreply 14February 4, 2022 1:14 PM

I really need to start watching this.

I think it's On Demand on my cable provider.

by Anonymousreply 15February 4, 2022 7:14 PM

He’s not closeted. That didn’t really exist back then, did it?

He just says things that make you think he might be gay. He had an interesting connection with a British official. Everybody (the other ghosts and the Rose character) could see some flirting there but he was clueless.

He made fun of Ben Franklin and mocked Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 16February 4, 2022 7:44 PM

R16, he’s gayer than a picnic basket filled with Liberace and a bag of dicks falling out of Liza Minnelli’s mouth.

by Anonymousreply 17February 4, 2022 7:54 PM

I just googled the show, and the Wiki page for "Ghosts" says that the character is indeed GAY and CLOSETED:

[quote] Brandon Scott Jones as Captain Isaac Higgintoot, a closeted gay American Revolutionary officer who died of dysentery two weeks after the siege of Fort Ticonderoga and is a footnote in history. He is based on the Captain in the original British series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 4, 2022 7:58 PM

Brandon Scott Jones looks gay too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 4, 2022 7:59 PM

Is this as good as the BBC original? I want to check it out, but I can't find it over here at the moment!

by Anonymousreply 20February 4, 2022 8:00 PM

After hearing good things about the show, I tried to watch it on the CBS app. Not available, but you can watch on paramount plus, which is a paid service. Since I could not watch the first few episodes to catch up, I haven't gotten around to watching it on CBS.

Read DL praise ABC show Abbott Elementary. Caught up on the first 5 episodes on the ABC app for free. Watched the 6th episode on network ABC.

by Anonymousreply 21February 4, 2022 8:13 PM

Aww, thanks for the post, OP. Possible spoiler below.

We love this show! The dialogue bounces quickly, and we’ve caught a lot in reruns that we missed the first time around.

The bizarre subject matter and storylines are grounded with really touchingly moments and observations.

Funniest moment: when the ghosts run to the kitchen to witness the livings having a spat over home improvement, and begin calling it like a sporting event: “Watch now, he’s going to pivot back to the roof!”

Most touching: when Pete’s wife visits, and he learns he has a grandson.

by Anonymousreply 22February 4, 2022 8:14 PM

Going to the restaurant and seeing her mom was touching as well.

by Anonymousreply 23February 4, 2022 8:15 PM

Am I the only one other than the gay revolutionary guy that thinks Jay in a snack?

by Anonymousreply 24February 4, 2022 11:44 PM

is a snack? I meant.

by Anonymousreply 25February 4, 2022 11:44 PM

Can you stream this on Hulu or something?

by Anonymousreply 26February 5, 2022 1:49 AM

I think you need CBS all-access, R26.

by Anonymousreply 27February 5, 2022 1:52 AM

Watched the first episode of the American version; didn’t care for it. Watched the BBC original; so much better!

by Anonymousreply 28February 5, 2022 2:14 AM

[quote]Am I the only one other than the gay revolutionary guy that thinks Jay in a snack?

r24, see my post at r13

by Anonymousreply 29February 5, 2022 2:53 AM

I came across this a few weeks ago on Paramount + and thought it would be stupid so ignored it. Then saw the guy who died without pants and thought, "He's hot; I'll just watch one episode "

It had me in stitches, walking that line between being incredibly witty and silly. Definitely surprising. I'm only five episodes in but am glad this show is getting all this attention suddenly. It seems to have exploded in the past few weeks and so far, seems to really deserve the accolades.

by Anonymousreply 30February 5, 2022 3:02 AM

So why does the Indian guy's Wiki page say that he's married to Naomi Campbell?

Is he really?

It says they were married in 2019, but there's no mention of him on her Wiki page.

I'm confused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 5, 2022 6:54 AM

I'm watching it on the CBS streaming channel, not Paramount+. Don't know if that's just a Roku thing where they are separate but it's got all the episodes so far for free.

by Anonymousreply 32February 5, 2022 7:09 AM

R32, I'm on roku and I have the CBS app. I couldn't find the show late last year after reading about it in DL. I'll try again. Thanks for the tip.

by Anonymousreply 33February 5, 2022 12:39 PM

Why doesn't Trevor (Asher Grodman) have any pants?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 5, 2022 1:51 PM

Because he wasn't wearing them when he died, R34.

by Anonymousreply 35February 5, 2022 2:07 PM

R33, I've caught a few episodes on the CBS streaming channel as well. It's there somewhere. Good luck.

I always knew this would be a hit. It's cute, it's funny, it's low commitment and it's not super serious. It's a nice way to pass the time.

The characters are nicer in this version than the BBC version (at least initially) but I love them both for different reasons.

[quote]I just googled the show, and the Wiki page for "Ghosts" says that the character is indeed GAY and CLOSETED:

Anyone can update the Wikipage. The character is gay on this version, same as the BBC one, but I wouldn't say he's closeted in the classic sense. He plays it off more as he doesn't fully understand it. Like he'll flirt with the British soldier in front of the others but not realize he's doing it.

On the BBC version, the Captain (his equivalent), would never do that. In later seasons he actively tries to hide it and even is worried that the owners will find his love letters to his lover. He knows he's gay and doesn't want anyone to find out.

[quote]Why doesn't Trevor (Asher Grodman) have any pants?

Trevor died without pants so he's stuck without pants or underwear on apparently.

His BBC equivalent did too, but he died of a heart attack on a toilet.

I just love this cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 5, 2022 2:07 PM

Asher Grodman is sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 5, 2022 2:25 PM

It cracked me up when the gay Revolutionary officer kept talking about how strapping and handsome Jay is, and how he has broad shoulders, and a v-shaped waist. Lol. And that was only in episode one!

By the way, the lead character Utkarsh Ambudkar is NOT married to Naomi Campbell. He's married to this lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 5, 2022 2:30 PM

[quote] On the BBC version, the Captain (his equivalent), would never do that. In later seasons he actively tries to hide it and even is worried that the owners will find his love letters to his lover. He knows he's gay and doesn't want anyone to find out.

I don't think that is the case with the character. The character is so repressed, that the storyline with his fellow comrade isn't about their pseudo romantic relationship (as the viewer initially assumes), but sharing the secret about the secret weapon, the bomb, that's hidden in the garden.

by Anonymousreply 39February 5, 2022 2:31 PM

I just discovered this show on Paramount +. It's really charming. But I'm not gonna lie, the only reason I even clicked on the box was Trevor. This and Abbot Elementary are 2 biggest sitcom hits for me this year.

by Anonymousreply 40February 5, 2022 2:36 PM

[quote]I don't think that is the case with the character. The character is so repressed, that the storyline with his fellow comrade isn't about their pseudo romantic relationship (as the viewer initially assumes), but sharing the secret about the secret weapon, the bomb, that's hidden in the garden.

You're right about the garden/letter/pseudo relationship thing. I've seen so much television since then, I may be getting confused. Thank you.

Long story short: after reading interviews with both actors ...

American Captain: Repressed & "Closeted" but isn't even at the point where he can even truly acknowledge any of it. The episode where he told the British soldier he killed him was the first step on his long journey because he also had a crush on him.

British Captain: Semi-Repressed & Not-So-Closeted by the end of the 3rd season after he decides to help plan the gay wedding. His real problem is that being gay was illegal in the 1940s, according to the actor/creator so while he knows he's gay and he's very much of his time, the wedding was him seeing for himself that it's all okay.

Reminds me of the Larry character from Doom Patrol, who knew he was gay, openly slept with a man, knew how society would treat him in the 60s and didn't necessarily want to discuss it initially in the modern day even after he knew no one would care.

by Anonymousreply 41February 5, 2022 3:50 PM

Another GHOSTS fan here!

Turned it on as a fluke several months ago and was charmed by the premise (even though the first episode wasn't the best). Since then, it's only become better, funnier and campier. One of my favorite episodes is when Jay gets accidentally possessed by Hetty.

Love the cast and the characters. In addition to the already mentioned Trevor and Captain Higgintoot, I'm particularly fond of the Viking Thorfinn. He always cracks me up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 5, 2022 4:01 PM

Is it good like Ted Lasso is "good," or is it actually good?

by Anonymousreply 43February 5, 2022 4:07 PM

I thought the actor playing Hetty was Laura Kightlinger at first. But I love that character.

by Anonymousreply 44February 5, 2022 4:12 PM

Binged it this weekend... it's so damn good.

by Anonymousreply 45February 6, 2022 1:34 AM

How did the Viking end up in the house?

And the Jazz Singer?

Rofl.

by Anonymousreply 46February 6, 2022 2:05 AM

There is an origin story for the Viking. He died on the grounds of where the house was built. The Native American (who is fantastic) was a similar situation.

by Anonymousreply 47February 6, 2022 2:08 AM

R48 lightening struck the Viking’s metal helmet and killed him on site; he recognized his own bones when they were found during fountain renovations.

by Anonymousreply 48February 6, 2022 2:10 AM

Woops, sorry R47, didn’t catch your post.

by Anonymousreply 49February 6, 2022 2:11 AM

And the cholera zombies in the basement?

Lol... I really don't understand who in the hell they are.

by Anonymousreply 50February 6, 2022 2:15 AM

The cholera ghosts are hilarious. What's difficult to understand? They died there during a cholera plague.

by Anonymousreply 51February 6, 2022 2:18 AM

My fave, for purely slutty reasons is Trevor, followed by the Alberta and Hetty and I love the Native American guy. There is another ghost, the guy with no head, but they don't seem to give him a story.

by Anonymousreply 52February 6, 2022 2:20 AM

Hetty cracked me up when she was talking to the "Arrow Head" guy about cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 53February 6, 2022 2:24 AM

I think it’s odd in the article the network person says this isn’t a supernatural comedy like Bewitched. As if Bewitched were only about the magic when it has much more to it than that, much like this comedy does. We started watching right away and tell everyone it’s our favorite show.

by Anonymousreply 54February 6, 2022 2:25 AM

They apparently got rid of the headless guy after the first two episodes. There really are plenty of ghosts. They aren't all in every episode as it is, which is odd because it isn't like they can go anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 55February 6, 2022 2:34 AM

I just watched the pilot. It seems like something i would have watched in 1963.

by Anonymousreply 56February 6, 2022 2:43 AM

The pilot is the low point. It improves very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 57February 6, 2022 2:50 AM

R54 That is hilarious because the first thing I thought of about this show was that it is like a new Bewitched. The main character is even named Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 58February 6, 2022 2:54 AM

Pluto TV has the first 13 episodes up for free.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 6, 2022 3:05 AM

R56 This thread should be categorized as “New Classic DL,” aka kvelling over network sitcoms. Does it have a laugh track?

by Anonymousreply 60February 6, 2022 3:22 AM

The headless guy is coming back in season two according to one of the articles.

by Anonymousreply 61February 6, 2022 3:23 AM

It looks so stupid and I hope it dies. In a grease fire. And never comes back to life.

by Anonymousreply 62February 6, 2022 3:24 AM

As the episode where they discovered they can go down on themselves in addition to being sucked off, there is much to explore with this show. So far we have only met ghosts that "live" where they died. But, I could see there also being ghosts that haunt particular people or objects which would be a fun way to bring in guest ghosts once the B&B opens.

by Anonymousreply 63February 6, 2022 3:28 AM

Asher is quite strikingly pretty.. wish i had that full head of shiny healthy hair he has!....

by Anonymousreply 64February 6, 2022 3:29 AM

[quote]They apparently got rid of the headless guy after the first two episodes.

He walked by in the background in the Halloween episode.

R63, we've seen the doctor and people on the street who seemed to be going about their ghostly lives away from where they died. Unless they all actually died on the street and the doctor died in the hospital where he worked.

by Anonymousreply 65February 6, 2022 3:34 AM

R65 I suspect the doctor did and the old couple I figured were run over in the crosswalk.

by Anonymousreply 66February 6, 2022 3:36 AM

That would suck if they just have to spend eternity standing in the middle of the street.

by Anonymousreply 67February 6, 2022 3:41 AM

Did they ever address why the old lady who died in the pilot episode got to go to "heaven," while all the rest of them are stuck in the house?

by Anonymousreply 68February 6, 2022 4:06 AM

Is season one wrapped up with just the 13 episodes?

by Anonymousreply 69February 6, 2022 4:19 AM

It seems to be that you only "stick around" if you have unfinished business. All the ghosts that remain have things to fix and finish before they get sucked off.

by Anonymousreply 70February 6, 2022 4:19 AM

I love this show! I admit I started watched just because of the hot 90's dude bro ghost with no pants, but was really surprised by the talented cast and clever writing.

I was so happy to see Brandon Scott Jones as the gay soldier. I feel in love with him on the The Other Two (also a great show!) and he's just as funny here.

by Anonymousreply 71February 6, 2022 4:49 AM

[quote] I admit I started watched just because of the hot 90's dude bro ghost with no pants

I love that the writers have really nailed all of his 90's references.

Lizzie Grubman, The Blue Room turning Leo DiCaprio away at the door, etc.

It's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 72February 6, 2022 4:58 AM

[quote]All the ghosts that remain have things to fix and finish before they get sucked off.

I have this feeling, that's just pure speculation, that they're not going to move on until they're all ready to get sucked off at the same time.

Even after Pete sees that his wife and daughter are okay he's still there and can't figure out why he didn't move on.

[quote]Is season one wrapped up with just the 13 episodes?

There will be at least 18 episodes. There was a COVID issue on set so they had to break production for a bit back in December so I think that's why there's a delay.

by Anonymousreply 73February 6, 2022 6:18 AM

I’m glad this show is doing well, I think it’s hilarious. I’ve watched a couple of episodes of the UK version, and don’t find that as compelling. I did start watching it for pantsless Asher Grodman, but stuck around because it’s really charming. I particularly love the cholera ghosts on the basement.

by Anonymousreply 74February 6, 2022 6:44 AM

Does Asher ever take his shirt off?

by Anonymousreply 75February 6, 2022 6:53 AM

Where can I watch the UK version?

by Anonymousreply 76February 6, 2022 12:09 PM

HBO Max has the UK version.

by Anonymousreply 77February 6, 2022 1:36 PM

This is my favorite new heartfelt comedy since The Good Place. That show was also surprisingly good, and I highly recommend it if you haven't watched it.

by Anonymousreply 78February 6, 2022 1:56 PM

It's not hilarious but always makes you smile. The acting is really solid as is the writing. It's a relaxing way to spend :30 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 79February 6, 2022 2:05 PM

[quote]I’ve watched a couple of episodes of the UK version, and don’t find that as compelling.

It definitely has a different feel. It does become more compelling around S3 when the couple fully accepts the ghosts and the show stops having the husband be stupid and develop an actual personality beyond that.

This version accelerated that and the husband was never comedy relief from sheer stupidity.

The only character and type from there that I wish was here was, "Kitty." She's definitely not Alberta but her story is sad and all she really wanted to was to have a sister she loved that loved her. When she was finally able to deal with her death, it was a great payoff.

by Anonymousreply 80February 6, 2022 3:10 PM

[quote]Does Asher ever take his shirt off?

I'm not sure it's possible for him to take his shirt off. You are stuck the way you died.

by Anonymousreply 81February 6, 2022 4:26 PM

I'm surprised that no one has complained yet, that the Native American character is played by a filipino guy.

by Anonymousreply 82February 6, 2022 5:25 PM

[quote]Genetically, Native Americans are most closely related to East Asians. Native American genomes contain genetic signals from Western Eurasia due in part to their descent from a common Siberian population during the Upper Paleolithic period.

[quote]The Philippines officially the Republic of the Philippines (Filipino: Republika ng Pilipinas), is an archipelagic country in Southeast Asia.

So, it all works.

by Anonymousreply 83February 6, 2022 5:35 PM

I noticed that right away, but just sorta shrugged and moved on.

by Anonymousreply 84February 6, 2022 6:16 PM

Watched the American version first, then jumped to the British version because usually it is superior...not in this case...the main couple are more endearing in the CBS version (yes it is more sitcom-y), but the British couple are meh and you really can't believe they will make a go of it (as opposed to the Americans). The American ghosts are more diverse, whereas some of the British ghosts are interchangeable. Even the "similar" ghosts are a bit superior in the American version.

Before the complaining begins, I'm an ex-pat.

by Anonymousreply 85February 6, 2022 7:10 PM

[quote]I'm surprised that no one has complained yet, that the Native American character is played by a filipino guy.

He's a mutt of Akimel O’otham, Mexican, Japanese and Taiwanese descent.

I tried to be a snob about CBS' version because I am a huge fan of the original series, but the American version is charming. Cheesy like so many sitcoms, but charming. And as the majority of the British cast created the series they get producer credits on this one so I am glad it worked out for them .

by Anonymousreply 86February 6, 2022 7:18 PM

I liked the first episode when the revolutionary war guy said: "I always try to make sure the men under me are having a good time."

by Anonymousreply 87February 6, 2022 8:25 PM

Just started watching the American version and it’s awful in comparison to the British!!! Awful! So slapstick and annoying

by Anonymousreply 88February 6, 2022 9:37 PM

Slapstick?! There is nothing slapstick about it. It is witty and charming. I loved the meta dialogue about how they can go through walls but somehow don't fall through the floors and can sit on chairs.

by Anonymousreply 89February 6, 2022 9:46 PM

I tried watching the UK version and it’s missing the charm the US version has.

by Anonymousreply 90February 7, 2022 5:04 AM

GHOSTS UK's gay captain is more handsome than Issac.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91February 7, 2022 6:33 AM

In the most recent episode, I read a preview for it but didn't get to watch it.

It says the Native American character reveals a secret. What was it?

by Anonymousreply 92February 7, 2022 2:36 PM

No spoilies r92!

Now watch, someone will post a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 93February 7, 2022 6:43 PM

The secret is he is a transman.

by Anonymousreply 94February 7, 2022 7:08 PM

R92 There wasn’t a new episode this past week, so that may be coming up this Thursday.

by Anonymousreply 95February 7, 2022 8:57 PM

R81 Actually, in the episode where they discussed if ghosts can have sex the native one said yes and he said they could remove their clothing. Also we know they have their sense of smell, so I'd imagine they can still feel hot and cold, so even if they could they wouldn't want to be naked all the time. I do wonder if it would possible for them to switch clothing, though.

by Anonymousreply 96February 7, 2022 9:19 PM

R95 The next new episode is February 24

by Anonymousreply 97February 7, 2022 10:16 PM

I'm surprised that the fey military officer isn't attracted to the hot Wall Street douchebro.

On the show, he seems repulsed by him! Lol.

by Anonymousreply 98February 7, 2022 10:41 PM

The Wall Street dude is a douche bag.

Since he’s attracted to the Brit, he likes people with manners and who shows proper decorum.

by Anonymousreply 99February 7, 2022 10:45 PM

R96. I don’t think he said anything about removing clothing, just that they could have sex, but couldn’t “finish”.

by Anonymousreply 100February 7, 2022 11:39 PM

[quote] they could have sex, but couldn’t “finish”.

Lol.

I highly doubt that the show would mention anything about the ghosts being able to "finish" after sex.

Where did you even get that from?

by Anonymousreply 101February 8, 2022 1:15 AM

R101 it is in the end of the episode where the native had been trying to reconnect with another native ghost at the newspaper.

by Anonymousreply 102February 8, 2022 1:22 AM

R101, they did say it on the show. "Sam, come back, I wanna tell Jay about ghost sex!" after one explained to her they could have it but couldn't finish.

[quote]I'm not sure it's possible for him to take his shirt off. You are stuck the way you died.

If it follows the BBC version: he could take his shirt off but as soon as he put it down to discard it, it would reappear on his body. (Because another character tried to get rid of something and it reappeared.) So I guess technically he could hold it in his hand or put it behind his head but not take it off completely and leave it.

Then again he's not wearing underwear either so he wouldn't even need to remove his shirt to have sex where he couldn't ejaculate.

by Anonymousreply 103February 8, 2022 2:09 AM

It's a fun show and all the characters are engaging, rather than what could have turned out to be shrill caricatures.

That said, the premise will wear thin sooner rather than later.

While "ghost of the week" and "unfinished business" will work for a a season, eventually they need to go somewhere - there needs to be a broader story arc. Ultimately, the question in the viewers' mind is how to get them each sucked off. But, that question wears thin too without some more immediate thru lines.

For now, I'm enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 104February 8, 2022 2:30 AM

That's also why the scout leader guy can't remove the arrow in his throat.

by Anonymousreply 105February 8, 2022 3:18 AM

Something that always bugs me in the original is that Fanny died by falling (well, being pushed out by her closeted husband) out of a window, but her ghost form isn't a gory version of her broken body laying on the ground. I mean, yeah, that would be hard to look at, but it would be more consistent with the lore of the show's ghost appearances.

by Anonymousreply 106February 8, 2022 3:26 AM

Reminds me of a popular 1960 Italian film comedy with Marcello Mastroianni, "The Ghosts of Rome." Very similar in story set-up and characters. It was a well-regarded movie, but now seems essentially forgotten. Except by the people who came up with the series, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 107February 8, 2022 3:41 AM

Reminds me of a popular 1960 Italian film comedy with Marcello Mastroianni, "The Ghosts of Rome." Similar set-up and characters. It was a well-regarded movie for many years, but is now essentially forgotten. Except by the creators of the series, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 108February 8, 2022 3:48 AM

I love how they show Hetty as a true member of the American Aristocracy when she goes all racist on The Irish and before her husband goes down, how she never loved him, and he was her least favorite cousin, Throwaway lines that make me laugh my ass off. What makes it a success is...THE WRITING.

by Anonymousreply 109February 8, 2022 4:00 AM

Exactly, R109!

The ghosts are so silly. They're like children. They like to watch tv. They get their feelings hurt so easily. And they're constantly bickering.

They're also like a peanut gallery surrounding Sam, which is totally hilarious.

And I finally found out the secret Sassapis was hiding. Let me just say that I love Cholera Nancy! She was freakin' hilarious, and made me choke/laugh quite a few times.

by Anonymousreply 110February 8, 2022 5:50 AM

“The last time I felt palms this soft I was shaking hands with a Vanderbilt.” Jay possessed by Hettie on meeting the wedding planner, just a great throwaway line. Also “Can I trouble you for some cocaine, I’m all out?”

by Anonymousreply 111February 8, 2022 6:05 AM

The guy who plays "Thorfinn" (Devan Long) is just... wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112February 8, 2022 6:45 AM

Ghosts has wit and charm and a certain piquant poignancy that the Chuck Lorre vomit factory lacks. So sad that Ghosts is sandwiched between the crappy United States of Al and the retooled B-Positive (which took a deus exmachina to pull it back from the shit pile).

by Anonymousreply 113February 8, 2022 1:00 PM

Where can I watch the original BBC Ghosts?

by Anonymousreply 114February 8, 2022 2:31 PM

[quote]Where can I watch the original BBC Ghosts?

by Anonymousreply 115February 8, 2022 2:55 PM

The BBC version is on HBOMax.

by Anonymousreply 116February 8, 2022 2:56 PM

HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 117February 8, 2022 2:56 PM

I made the mistake of watching the British version first, can’t stand the American one. Here are my random thoughts: The characters don’t have as much depth, it’s all dumbed down and the jokes are just jokes, nothing else. I feel like American shows are afraid to let people be ugly. You can really see that in the stock broker character vs the politician. Speaking of which, thing that bothers me the most is the safety pinned shirt that the stock broker has, it’s the weirdest thing. Of course, lots of Mazel Tov blah blah blah because every show has to have that. If this is the Hudson Valley, one of the ghosts should have been a comedian on the borscht belt.

by Anonymousreply 118February 8, 2022 2:57 PM

I like both shows for different reasons.

[quote] I feel like American shows are afraid to let people be ugly. You can really see that in the stock broker character vs the politician.

While I'm not disagreeing with you, some of it is British vs American cultural differences.

The stock broker looks like a typical stock broker of the 90s. Many of the younger ones had that fratty, bro, chug a beer, flirt with everyone, does cocaine for fun look that Trevor reflects.

While the politician looks like a politician whether it's over there or here and after the past few years of politics on every platform in the US, I can see why they didn't want to have a similar character here. I think that's part of why it's so successful. People want to watch a short show that's funny and not too heavy.

Also UK ghosts has had 20 episodes over 3 years. This show will have to pump out 22 episodes a YEAR (after this year since it's only 18 thanks to COVID) so I'm sure they'll have time to get more into the ghosts in the house.

by Anonymousreply 119February 8, 2022 5:09 PM

Watched the first two episodes on Pluto TV last night. Thanks DL, never would have watched this otherwise, but it's just the kind of show I've been looking for.

by Anonymousreply 120February 8, 2022 10:41 PM

I agree with R118 but I will say that the Us version grew on me as a glossy, fluffier version. Higgintoot (primarily), scout leader, and Thor saved it for me. That said, the British version is significantly better for all of the reasons 118 stated.

by Anonymousreply 121February 8, 2022 10:51 PM

121 Again, just want to thank DL for turning me onto this show in the first place!!! Such a wonderful show to escape to….humor that is actually funny is absurdly rare these days!!!!

by Anonymousreply 122February 8, 2022 10:54 PM

When DL calls it, whether closeted actors or good tv shows, it's rarely wrong.

by Anonymousreply 123February 8, 2022 11:18 PM

Apparently, a new ghost will soon join the cast: Odessa, a teenage girl who was killed on her prom night in 1987. Although the other ghosts know of her, she's been asleep up in the attic until being awakened by Jay.

Also: a future episode will tell the story behind Trevor's lack of pants. :p

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 9, 2022 9:21 PM

Will Odessa be yet another 80s Jewish character?

by Anonymousreply 125February 9, 2022 10:44 PM

[quote]Also: a future episode will tell the story behind Trevor's lack of pants. :p

A future episode will cover each and every one of the ghosts' backstories.

The more clever episodes will weave the two narratives into intersecting A and B stories that share a climax and resolve both.

by Anonymousreply 126February 9, 2022 10:51 PM

Will they explain why the bottom of his shirt is safety pinned together so it doesn’t come open?

by Anonymousreply 127February 10, 2022 1:16 AM

They did the blur out thing a couple of times already, R127.

by Anonymousreply 128February 10, 2022 1:18 AM

I would hate to act through an entire series, with no pants.

Hopefully, they'll find a way for him to wear something.

by Anonymousreply 129February 10, 2022 1:20 AM

It’s odd how in the British version his shirt kind of opens and closes naturally, while the American one looks so weird.

by Anonymousreply 130February 10, 2022 1:23 AM

R129 Since we know that ghosts wear what they die in and that ghosts can possess the living. What if, once the B&B opens up, he possesses a guest so that he can romance Jay's sister? But, before they can do anything, the body he is possessing dies. They could say it is a quirk but he now has those clothes. I mean I like him pantless, but it would have to get old for the actor at some point, just like the poor guy with the arrow through his neck.

by Anonymousreply 131February 10, 2022 2:23 AM

Meaghan Rath, on Being Human's ghost Sally, wore the same dress and sweater for three seasons.

by Anonymousreply 132February 10, 2022 5:10 AM

[quote] Meaghan Rath, on Being Human's ghost Sally, wore the same dress and sweater for three seasons.

Wearing a dress and sweater does not compare to having no pants.

by Anonymousreply 133February 10, 2022 6:40 PM

Is there a new episode tonight on CBS?

by Anonymousreply 134February 11, 2022 1:19 AM

Nope

by Anonymousreply 135February 11, 2022 1:23 AM

Not until the 24th.

by Anonymousreply 136February 11, 2022 1:24 AM

I can't wait until the show comes back.

I need a good laugh.

by Anonymousreply 137February 12, 2022 7:17 PM

This SHOULD be a sign for networks to take more chances, instead of programming the 25th version of Fire/Police/911/Corpse Patrol.

by Anonymousreply 138February 12, 2022 7:31 PM

[quote] This SHOULD be a sign for networks to take more chances,

You do realize that this is an adaption of an established British TV show, right? It's not some brave, brand new concept that hasn't been tested in any other market.

by Anonymousreply 139February 12, 2022 7:44 PM

You do realize most Americans don't watch British TV right? The poster didn't say "original".

by Anonymousreply 140February 12, 2022 7:49 PM

I like it. But, it can sometimes induce a sort of headache. Something about the pacing of the dialogue. And it needs more variety in that pacing.

I like that the cholera ghosts are mostly forgotten and mostly have a miserable little life. We see that they can LEAVE the cellar. But only 1 did. And she was very vivacious. Now, back to standing by the furnace, frozen in the darkness?

by Anonymousreply 141February 12, 2022 8:07 PM

R139 So was All In The Family, but it was still a big risk and changed the face of American TV forever.

by Anonymousreply 142February 12, 2022 9:10 PM

I think they should start stealing more quality shows from overseas. And, not just England.

by Anonymousreply 143February 12, 2022 9:19 PM

r138, and FUCK CBS for killing its only character driven show. I loved All Rise. And it was a Black driven show with a bunch of fierce lesbians. All Rise needs to be brought back.

FUCK YOU CBS.

FUCK YOU.

by Anonymousreply 144February 12, 2022 9:27 PM

r142, that's what you consider a big risk in 2022? Mary!

by Anonymousreply 145February 12, 2022 9:50 PM

R145 The point is that when it premiered it was revolutionary and CBS took a risk with it. Just like CBS took a risk with this show, even though this is a much more gentle show. It is a risk because I imagine the show is not cheap because of the special effects.

And, yes All In The Family would be a risk in 2022, they spoke of things in a way that wouldn't be tolerated by the twitter mob of today.

by Anonymousreply 146February 12, 2022 9:59 PM

All Rise went to the Own network, it starts in June, I think.

20 episodes, too. 🥳🥳

by Anonymousreply 147February 12, 2022 11:47 PM

I think the issue is Ghosts isn't a traditional "CBS" kind of show. I never watch anything on CBS. I wouldn't have found Ghosts if it wasn't for Paramount +

by Anonymousreply 148February 12, 2022 11:52 PM

I wouldn't have found Ghosts if it weren't for this thread, and wouldn't have watched it if it weren't for Paramount+.

by Anonymousreply 149February 13, 2022 12:59 AM

I wouldn't have found Ghosts if it weren't for this thread, and wouldn't have watched it if it weren't for Paramount+ and I wouldn't have the bravery to go to the office pantsless if it wasn't for Trevor Lefkowitz.

by Anonymousreply 150February 13, 2022 1:42 PM

I have to be careful to click to another channel after it's over - I don't want to see one second of the horrible B POSITIVE with that annoying, ugly blonde actress. It's bad enough we have to watch the promos.

by Anonymousreply 151February 13, 2022 4:09 PM

Too many ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 152February 13, 2022 4:17 PM

R152 That's like watching Bewitched and complaining about there being too many witches.

by Anonymousreply 153February 13, 2022 4:20 PM

R152, I thought so at first, too, but, now that everyone is established, it isn't a problem having so many ghosts and it just adds to the story possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 154February 13, 2022 4:42 PM

I miss the headless guy.

by Anonymousreply 155February 13, 2022 8:13 PM

He had zero lines, r155.

What is there to miss?

by Anonymousreply 156February 13, 2022 9:51 PM

Wouldn't be the first guy to lose a job in Hollywood because he had no head skills.

by Anonymousreply 157February 13, 2022 9:52 PM

The show isn't bad but the British version is so very much better.

The lead American actress isn't very good. Anna Faris would have knocked the role out of the park. Rose McIver has no charisma or charm.

by Anonymousreply 158February 13, 2022 9:55 PM

The American version is a lot better. And the lead actress was also the lead in "iZombie". She's fine.

by Anonymousreply 159February 13, 2022 9:59 PM

The British one seems to be going for a more traditional haunted house feel, even when it is funny it is still sorta scary, while the American one seems to be going for a more whimsical feel like the supernatural sitcoms of the past, Topper, Bewitched, I Dream of Jennie, etc...

Also, I don't know why but the two main black characters in the British one are annoying as fuck, the husband seems mentally challenged at times, and Lolly Adefope, whom I have seen in various things, is just grating in this. I mean I really felt bad for the rich white ghost lady when the husband broke the wall separating their rooms because having to deal with Kitty, all the time, would be like hell.

by Anonymousreply 160February 13, 2022 10:13 PM

Rose McIver is bland and flat. The actress in the English version gets it right.

by Anonymousreply 161February 13, 2022 10:17 PM

[quote] Rose McIver is bland and flat. The actress in the English version gets it right.

She was even worse in that stupid Flowers In The Attic sequel, "Petals on the Wind."

I recognized her from that, and had a good laugh.

Rose is such a terrible actress. Maybe it's because she's from New Zealand, and they don't have a big film industry.

by Anonymousreply 162February 14, 2022 9:24 AM

Watched the first three eps on Pluto and I'm not keen on it. Kinda surprised it's such a hit. Perhaps an undemanding comedy is extra appealing in these times; call it Schitt's Creek Phenomenon. Though personally I found Schitt's Creek charming and this show....not so much. But some of you are saying it gets better so perhaps I'll try another ep or two.

by Anonymousreply 163February 14, 2022 5:08 PM

R163 I've watched all 13 episodes that have been shown.

It does get better as things move along. All of the characters have benefitted from the next 10 episodes that you haven't viewed.

I watched the first 6 episodes in a fall '21 marathon & the next 7 just recently in another marathon (I had no clue it was back on=I guess my adblocker works like a charm).

I think you should give the rest a try. This show will be the next Big Bang Theory unless they all get big heads & want a ton of more $$$ for the next season.

by Anonymousreply 164February 14, 2022 5:17 PM

I'm watching the British one now. I prefer the husband in the British one - he's funnier and dryer. The British one has better pacing. Some of the episodes have suspense in the plotting.

by Anonymousreply 165February 14, 2022 7:06 PM

The American one needs some outside characters - people from the village. More friends or family of the couple. Etc. I suppose B&B guests can add but on the other hand they will be 1 off appearances and that will get tiresome. The show will need characters that appear a few times a season.

by Anonymousreply 166February 14, 2022 7:08 PM

I watched a couple episodes of the British version and I like it better. The acting is less forced. I might revisit the American one eventually but I'll stick with the original for now.

Is it just me, or does the scoutmaster sound a lot like Reece Shearsmith? Really threw me the first time I noticed.

by Anonymousreply 167February 16, 2022 4:13 PM

Is this a Russell T. Davies show?

by Anonymousreply 168February 16, 2022 4:16 PM

In fairness to the American version, most of the British cast had worked together for years and years on the children's series Horrible Histories before even starting Ghosts, so that's likely a big reason why the British version feels a bit more natural

by Anonymousreply 169February 17, 2022 3:34 AM

CBS? I don't DO network TV. Pass!

by Anonymousreply 170February 17, 2022 3:52 AM

R162 McIver is very very bad. Usually I'm not a fan of recasting but it might be something to consider in her case. I would have assumed that an actor who came all the way from new Zealand would have to be significantly talented to land a regular part in an American show but evidently not.

by Anonymousreply 171February 17, 2022 3:55 AM

In fairness to the British version, most of the American cast suck.

But seriously though, if half the performances are weak the director bears a lot of the blame. Possibly the editor?

I do like the Viking, the son of liberty, and particularly the Victorian (?) woman. They are putting in good work. Or at least have charm.

by Anonymousreply 172February 17, 2022 5:07 AM

Rebecca Wisocky, the "victorian (?) woman", AKA Hetty, was also good on Devious Maids.

Holy shit, time flies. Devious Maids ended in 2016.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173February 17, 2022 5:13 AM

New episode tonight!

by Anonymousreply 174February 17, 2022 2:49 PM

I like all of the cast except for McIver and the hippie chick. I think they’re all pretty engaging, but I agree with others, McIver was much better in iZombie. Here she’s very bland.

by Anonymousreply 175February 17, 2022 3:10 PM

It isn't new, R174. It's a repeat of the episode where they go to the restaurant where Sam's mother died. It was a good episode.

by Anonymousreply 176February 17, 2022 3:13 PM

Whoops, I jumped the gun.

The new episode is on Feb. 24. Next Thursday, not tonight.

by Anonymousreply 177February 17, 2022 3:14 PM

Ghosts

Ghostwriter

SEASON 1, EPISODE 14 • NEW

Sasappis offers to help Sam complete the bed and breakfast website so they can start taking reservations; Pete bonds with Jay over basketball, until Jay makes a new living friend; Flower attempts to be Pete's new basketball buddy.

by Anonymousreply 178February 17, 2022 4:02 PM

Oh wow, Wisocky was one of the insane Romulans in the first season of Picard.

She was also on a TV show called Svetlana. DL icon in the making?

by Anonymousreply 179February 17, 2022 5:22 PM

Running through her IMDB photos, she is one fucking beautiful woman.

There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 180February 17, 2022 10:52 PM

Who, R180?

by Anonymousreply 181February 18, 2022 12:16 AM

Madonna, Rose, Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 182February 18, 2022 1:53 AM

Did you know there are 4 main ghosts who are the stars and 4 recurring ghosts who are basically guest stars and don’t appear in every episode?

Can you guess which 4 are the main ghosts and which 4 are recurring?

by Anonymousreply 183February 18, 2022 7:50 AM

I watched it last night and it was awful but we'll give it another shot.

by Anonymousreply 184February 18, 2022 10:07 AM

Interesting that the actress who played Sam's mother is a main character on the last season of Lucifer.

The character Linda on Lucifer is Amenodiel's baby momma and Luci's therapist.

Rachael Harris — LOVE HER.

by Anonymousreply 185February 18, 2022 1:06 PM

Yes, R184.

Hetty, the Scout Master arrow guy, the Viking, and the gay Revolutionary soldier seem to be the main characters.

Then the Wall Street guy, the Jazz Singer, the hippie, and Sassapis are the background characters.

by Anonymousreply 186February 18, 2022 1:45 PM

CBS is ruining it. Was trying to watch it on demand but because it is so popular they have numerous commercials. When they ran out of paid commercials they ran 3 minutes of commercials for CBS shows several times during the 30 minute program. I finally gave up.

by Anonymousreply 187February 18, 2022 1:58 PM

This show is blah. Too loud and too frantic.

by Anonymousreply 188February 18, 2022 2:00 PM

[quote]Rebecca Wisocky, the "Victorian (?) woman", AKA Hetty, was also good on Devious Maids.

Yes, we know R171.

by Anonymousreply 189February 18, 2022 2:05 PM

I’m so glad DL brought this show to my attention because I love it.

The Victorian ghost and the gay general are the best characters.

by Anonymousreply 190February 18, 2022 8:54 PM

[quote]on the children's series Horrible Histories

This show is actually really fun! I know it's a children's show, but it's one that won't drive you crazy watching it with the kids.

by Anonymousreply 191February 18, 2022 9:16 PM

[quote] Yes, [R183]. Hetty, the Scout Master arrow guy, the Viking, and the gay Revolutionary soldier seem to be the main characters. Then the Wall Street guy, the Jazz Singer, the hippie, and Sassapis are the background characters.

Wrong! Hetty and Thor are actually recurring guest stars. The main female star is ALBERTA!! It goes Isaac, Alberta, Pete, Trevor. Then guest stars are credited in alphabetical order, Flower, Thorfinn, Hetty, and Sassapis.

by Anonymousreply 192February 18, 2022 11:50 PM

R192 But, hasn't Hetty played a bigger role? Is she a guest star or a "guest star" like Heather Locklear on Melrose Place?

by Anonymousreply 193February 18, 2022 11:52 PM

Hetty isn’t in all the episodes. Hetty, Thor, Flower, and Sassapis switch off episodes. Only the four main ghosts Issac, Alberta, Pete, and T- Money are in ALL the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 194February 18, 2022 11:57 PM

That's odd R192, because Hetty makes the bigger impact on the show.

Same for Thorfin.

I barely notice Alberta, and Trevor doesn't seem to have as many lines as Thor.

Your list seems very off.

by Anonymousreply 195February 19, 2022 12:00 AM

R195 Yes other than the occasional one liner, the only episode where Alberta is really prominent is the one concerning her crazy fan.

by Anonymousreply 196February 19, 2022 12:02 AM

[quote] I particularly love the cholera ghosts on the basement.

That's a sentence I never thought I would read. Question: How can I produce a successful TV show? Answer: Just write in some charming cholera ghosts in the basement.

by Anonymousreply 197February 19, 2022 2:21 PM

We see that the ghosts in the Cholera Pit CHOOSE to stay in the Cholera Pit. When they get going, talking about the water heater, it reminds me of DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 198February 19, 2022 4:03 PM

We ARE the Cholera Ghosts!

by Anonymousreply 199February 19, 2022 4:06 PM

Finally caught up in this thread. Some random thoughts:

The cast is quite large for a half hour show. I'm sure the recurring ghosts are probably all getting promoted to regular once the budget increases for season 2. Although, Flower seems to make the least splash. Everybody else gets more to do.

I believe The Living Couple's acting is deliberately blanded. I remember in good old Star Trek they had the directive to tone humans down in order to let aliens appear more quirky. This type of direction may apply here, too. I'm cool with that. But I gotta say it was fun to watch when Hetty took over the husband's body.

by Anonymousreply 200February 19, 2022 5:34 PM

[quote] I'm sure the recurring ghosts are probably all getting promoted to regular once the budget increases for season 2.

I hope they promote Hetty and Sassapis to regular cast members. Flower and Thor can stay recurring. A little of them goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 201February 19, 2022 11:08 PM

Thor is a lame character/actor. 🤮🤮🤮

by Anonymousreply 202February 19, 2022 11:10 PM

I wonder if there is tension between the four main ghost stars and the four recurring ghosts. Is it an upstairs, downstairs situation? Do they treat them differently and look down on them like the Cholera ghosts? Does Asher Grodman shudder with disgust when Rebecca Wisocky and Devan Long pass by him?

by Anonymousreply 203February 19, 2022 11:13 PM

This is just promo and potentially embellished, but it gets me the impression that they are all in it together at this point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204February 20, 2022 3:47 AM

I like all of the ghosts, they each provide a glimpse into their time in history.

by Anonymousreply 205February 20, 2022 4:34 PM

Hetty has such charisma, I'm surprised that she's a supporting character- she's usually in the front of the group with the cub scout guy-I don't even know his name.

by Anonymousreply 206February 21, 2022 2:18 AM

Pete.

by Anonymousreply 207February 21, 2022 2:27 AM

Of for fuck’s sake! This entire thread is three fraus talking to one another.

Stop schilling this insipidly stupid show OP! It’s juvenile and it’s likely already cancelled due to its shitty ratings.

by Anonymousreply 208February 21, 2022 3:52 AM

Geez, who pissed in your cornflakes, r208? It's a fun, silly little show. If it isn't your cuppa, move it along, toots.

Also, its ratings are high, and it's been greenlit for a second season.

Maybe try decaf.

by Anonymousreply 209February 21, 2022 4:10 AM

[quote]Of for fuck’s sake!

Oh dear.

[quote]Stop schilling

Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 210February 21, 2022 4:15 AM

Who is R208 and why are they acting like a demented 9 year old having a fit because something they don't like, other people DO like?

Uh, dumbass at 208, the OP linked to a story in Variety clearly stating the show is a success. If you're going to throw a tantrum, at least throw one backed up with actual facts.

And, if you hate the show, the it's fairly easy to...NOT WATCH THE FUCKING SHOW OR READ AND COMMENT IN A THREAD ABOUT THE SHOW YOU HATE.

by Anonymousreply 211February 21, 2022 6:00 AM

R187 I watched the first couple episodes on demand and there were literally like 50 commercials in each. Record it instead. I think Pluto has it also now, with much less commercials.

by Anonymousreply 212February 21, 2022 6:40 AM

No commercials if you watch on Paramount+

by Anonymousreply 213February 21, 2022 2:51 PM

I may also add that I thought Hetty was principal cast, due to the fact that she is the ancestress of the Living Zombie Girl, whose name I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 214February 21, 2022 2:53 PM

I watch both the British and the American version, both have their charm but for me, as with many productions, the British one is better.

The US version does do their bit to add the touching and heartwarming but the Brits do this in their sleep and are simply better at writing characters that feel fleshed out and whole.

I'm not seeing this as a smash hit but it is the first show in a while that wasn't just outright shit. For those who are crazy about it hope it has some legs.

by Anonymousreply 215February 21, 2022 3:11 PM

I looked at some Horrible Histories clips on YouTube. When he's not being a fuddy-duddy, the Captain is rather hot.

by Anonymousreply 216February 21, 2022 7:24 PM

It's much better than the British version and the seasons are longer too.

by Anonymousreply 217February 22, 2022 4:21 AM

[quote] I'm not seeing this as a smash hit

Well, I guess if YOU’RE not seeing it as a smash hit then it must not be. Never mind reality or facts or ratings or the Variety article posted. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 218February 22, 2022 4:56 AM

This show was actually created by ghosts. I didn’t know that. It was written by them too. I wonder if they get credit for the American version.

by Anonymousreply 219February 22, 2022 4:59 AM

[quote]This show was actually created by ghosts

Spooky!

by Anonymousreply 220February 22, 2022 3:01 PM

No r218 it's not a smash hit TO ME.

As I said, for those who are crazy over it, I hope it has a good run.

It's almost like opposing opinions aren't welcome here.

by Anonymousreply 221February 22, 2022 3:09 PM

Drop dead, R221.

Miserable cunt, you are.

by Anonymousreply 222February 22, 2022 4:51 PM

[quote] It's almost like opposing opinions aren't welcome here.

Whether it’s a hit or not is not an opinion. It is a fact. What is wrong with you and the person above who said the show is about to get cancelled? You’re not dealing in facts or reality.

by Anonymousreply 223February 22, 2022 5:01 PM

Plus, if you are cunt enough to troll an innocuous thread about a fantasy program, then you deserve to be called out for the miserable, bitter, gaping cunt you have become.

Begone!

by Anonymousreply 224February 22, 2022 5:06 PM

Oh for chrissake, R215 made abundantly clear that it isn't a hit FOR HIM, and that HE doesn't FIND it a smash hit. He didn't dismiss the show's objective success or your precious opinions. What he said was that he doesn't care about the show as much as others do. He made it about his own preference, not about objective data. That's not exactly an outrageous response. Maybe he didn't spell it out so even the most illiterate understands. But with a little goodwill you can read that he perfectly respected your not really that important opinion.

by Anonymousreply 225February 22, 2022 10:17 PM

[quote]But with a little goodwill you can read that he perfectly respected your not really that important opinion.

Are you new?

Goodwill to DLers is a thrift store.

by Anonymousreply 226February 22, 2022 10:54 PM

[quote] made abundantly clear that it isn't a hit FOR HIM, and that HE doesn't FIND it a smash hit. He didn't dismiss the show's objective success or your precious opinions. What he said was that he doesn't care about the show as much as others do. He made it about his own preference, not about objective data. That's not exactly an outrageous response. Maybe he didn't spell it out so even the most illiterate understands.

The thing is whether something is a hit or a smash hit, or a bust or a bomb, isn't a subjective personal opinion. He can say he doesn't like it and or he feels it doesn't work for various reasons. But, being a hit or not has NOTHING to do with that. A hit is defined by how many people watch, a critical hit is determined by the overall response of critics and maybe awards, but each person doesn't get to declare a show a hit or not, only the public, as a whole, can do that. Obviously, he or you must be illiterate for not understanding a term that predates tv, radio, or even film. A Hit is defined as "a great success," that is measured objectively not subjectively. For instance, I do not like "Keeping Up With the Kardashians," but I have no problem calling it a hit. Because it has been a massive hit.

by Anonymousreply 227February 22, 2022 11:20 PM

^ I know you want to be right, and admitting that other opinions have merits is not what we usually do here. But try it. It makes things pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 228February 22, 2022 11:35 PM

New episode on Thursday!

by Anonymousreply 229February 23, 2022 12:34 AM

"Hit" indicates it has a some sort of wide spread popularity.

Saying bitchily, "well, It's NOT a hit for ME!" doesn't really mean anything. It just sounds dumb.

"I don't like the show and I don't understand why other people do like it" is a valid opinion.

by Anonymousreply 230February 23, 2022 3:57 AM

R227 is correct.

R225/R228 is a moron.

A thing either is or is a hit. This show is a hit. Period. That's a fact.

You can dislike the hit show. That's an opinion. But you can't claim that it being a hit is an opinion. There's no such thing as being "a hit for me". That is a meaningless phrase.

by Anonymousreply 231February 23, 2022 3:58 AM

Can we please shove the people arguing about this in the cholera pit?

by Anonymousreply 232February 23, 2022 4:03 AM

"Big hit" these days doesn't mean sheeeeeet. Ratings are miniscule. TV shows are no longer "events" where everrrrrrrryone watches them. Five million viewers per episode is now considered to be a "big hit". LMAO!

by Anonymousreply 233February 23, 2022 4:15 AM

R233 after seeing what happened to Hetty’s husband I can understand why Mr. Cosby wouldn’t like Ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 234February 23, 2022 4:21 AM

That was hilarious! Can't wait for the new episode!

by Anonymousreply 235February 23, 2022 6:35 AM

Why? Why! Why? Why! Why? What is wrong with you?!

That was so scary!

by Anonymousreply 236February 23, 2022 6:55 AM

[quote] Oh for chrissake, [R215] made abundantly clear that it isn't a hit FOR HIM, and that HE doesn't FIND it a smash hit.

And who the hell is HE? Nielsen? You can’t independently declare if something is a smash hit or not.

by Anonymousreply 237February 23, 2022 7:07 AM

This thread is being run by a shill people. Look at R235 and some of the other random threads with one line replies. You can't necessarily track them to any other posts, (i.e., they're clearing their cache), and routinely and intentionally bumping the threads.

This show has typical winter time ratings for any "wacky" sitcom but doesn't appear like it will be a lasting program, (I could be wrong). I do know that someone is in this thread to bump and promote the show. If you look at some of the other online discussions about it, Reddit etc., you'll find some of the exact same comments. It's shill 101. I've been here for 21 years. You tend to spot them easily after a while.

by Anonymousreply 238February 23, 2022 1:35 PM

Thank you r225 that is why I attempted to clarify my post at r221.

by Anonymousreply 239February 23, 2022 1:40 PM

r230 no one needs you to tell them what a valid opinion is.

Your opinion of MY opinion is not valid.

by Anonymousreply 240February 23, 2022 1:43 PM

You're all cunts. Shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 241February 23, 2022 6:03 PM

[quote]I've been here for 21 years.

Well then, you'll expect the "Oh, dear" for not having a properly placed comma in your very first sentence, R238.

by Anonymousreply 242February 23, 2022 6:26 PM

What will tonight's episode be about?

by Anonymousreply 243February 24, 2022 7:34 PM

Basketball, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 244February 25, 2022 12:40 AM

It is pretty good show except that episode with the Indian husbands annoying fugly sister (does that unfunny ghastly fat woman get cast for every Indian sister role?)

They are trying way too hard with all the interracial couples also.

by Anonymousreply 245February 25, 2022 3:57 AM

Bad episode tonight. 🤮

by Anonymousreply 246February 25, 2022 3:59 AM

R246 Oh jesus another bad episode already? Is it as bad as the episode with the Indian sister getting ghosted? like that hot dead ghost guy would be into that fat annoying thing.

by Anonymousreply 247February 25, 2022 4:03 AM

R246 must be from Massachusetts

by Anonymousreply 248February 25, 2022 11:32 AM

[quote] does that unfunny ghastly fat woman get cast for every Indian sister role?

What else has she been in?

by Anonymousreply 249February 25, 2022 5:15 PM

This was a pretty bad episode. A let down after the high of the last episode with Tobias going to hell. Why would an Indian father have an Asian son? And how did Sass die on the way to his speech?

by Anonymousreply 250February 25, 2022 5:19 PM

I'm bummed to hear it was a crap episode.

I haven't watched it yet, so I'll be prepared.

by Anonymousreply 251February 25, 2022 6:00 PM

[quote]Why would an Indian father have an Asian son?

The two actors are actually father and son, r250.

by Anonymousreply 252February 25, 2022 6:07 PM

^ I guess we have to ask the mother then. LOL

by Anonymousreply 253February 25, 2022 6:08 PM

This was a simple episode but I like the connections...I do love Sas! I would date him in a second!

(translation for the WOKE: middle aged, entitled white homosexual--not queer-- has fetishist feelings for Native American/Filipino/Asian male)

by Anonymousreply 254February 26, 2022 1:48 AM

Is Trevor only sexy as a ghost? He looks kinda gross in his official headshot. Looks like a Botoxed lesbian with too many fillers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255February 26, 2022 5:47 AM

Yeah, not sexy at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256February 26, 2022 3:31 PM

Why doesn’t he use his Tinder picture with the dog as his official headshot? That was a good photo.

by Anonymousreply 257February 26, 2022 6:13 PM

Before he was casted as Ghosts, Trevor taught acting to inmates at Rikers Island.

by Anonymousreply 258February 26, 2022 6:15 PM

R258 I was just going to post that Trevor is a pretty accomplished ghost! “ Asher holds a MFA in Acting from the American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco and a BA in Film and English from Columbia University in New York. He currently teaches acting in the Hunter College Theater Department and previously to the inmates at Rikers island. ‘

by Anonymousreply 259February 26, 2022 6:16 PM

His official headshot looks nothing like him. It looks like a plucked and preened Arab guy. If you asked me who that was, I would not have guessed it was Trevor from Ghosts. Shouldn’t a headshot be representative of how you look so casting directors can decide to cast you?

by Anonymousreply 260February 26, 2022 6:23 PM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 261February 26, 2022 7:31 PM

"Casted"?

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 262February 26, 2022 9:42 PM

May......be

by Anonymousreply 263February 26, 2022 10:06 PM

R256 what is that Trevor is wearing under his shirt?

by Anonymousreply 264February 26, 2022 10:07 PM

Can someone explain to me (a Brit) why American TV feels the need to remake shows like this? I’ve never understood it, even since people started saying the US Office was better than the original. Other countries watch American shows and don’t feel the need to remake them to make them more accessible or relatable or whatever. Only one of the British Ghosts is particularly specific to UK history anyway (Humphrey the headless Tudor).

by Anonymousreply 265February 26, 2022 10:28 PM

Asher Grodman is family, right? Everything about his social media says homosexual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266February 26, 2022 10:51 PM

[quote] what is that Trevor is wearing under his shirt?

Nothing. He wears absolutely nothing underneath.

by Anonymousreply 267February 26, 2022 10:57 PM

Piss off bugger!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268February 26, 2022 11:00 PM

R265 Piss right off you wanker!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269February 26, 2022 11:00 PM

It seems he has gray chest hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270February 26, 2022 11:02 PM

[quote] Can someone explain to me (a Brit) why American TV feels the need to remake shows like this?

No.

[quote]I’ve never understood it, even since people started saying the US Office was better than the original.

Because it is.

[quote]Other countries watch American shows and don’t feel the need to remake them to make them more accessible or relatable or whatever.

Because America is the end all, be all. It is already accessible to all. Friends is accessible and relatable to everyone, whereas U.K. versions like Coupling are not accessible to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 271February 26, 2022 11:07 PM

Anyone see the preview for another new CBS shitcom, something called like When We Roll/Let's Roll/Roll With It/whatever? It's a shitcom about a family and the dad is a professional bowler. OMFG.

by Anonymousreply 272February 26, 2022 11:19 PM

[quote]Friends is accessible and relatable to everyone

Well that will happen when you reduce yourself to the lowest common denominator

[quote] something called like When We Roll/Let's Roll/Roll With It/whatever?

They're setting a sitcom on United 93?

by Anonymousreply 273February 26, 2022 11:20 PM

I dunno R266, he seems straight to me.

I'm actually wondering if his girlfriend is recording the video here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274February 26, 2022 11:24 PM

China remade Glee? I gotta see THAT!

More related to this show: Grodman doesn't ping my gaydar at all. My gaydar is not fine tuned, so that doesn't necessarily mean much. His gray hair looks interesting.

by Anonymousreply 275February 26, 2022 11:39 PM

Mark Hamill is a fan of Ghosts and has written to each cast member. What a suck up. Is he looking to get sucked off or what?

Mark Hamill made me cry.

This national treasure took the time to write each member of the @ghostscbs cast personally & support our show (who is this guy?!?…THERE ARE TEN OF US!)

Thank you, @hamillhimself - you are a mensch of the highest order and have given us a thrill that we will never forget.

Woodstone mansion is always open to you.

In fact…Luke, will you be my father?

Sincerely, T-Money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276February 26, 2022 11:40 PM

"Ghosts" is tailor made for star cameos, just like those sitcoms in the 60s and 70s like "Here's Lucy", "Batman" and "Fantasy Island."

by Anonymousreply 277February 27, 2022 1:02 AM

Mark Hamill needs to suck up? Really?? He’s more popular than Harrison Ford!

by Anonymousreply 278February 27, 2022 1:07 AM

I just watched the "Alberta's Fan" episode, and the whole thing had me cracking up.

I laughed throughout the entire episode.

That was a good one!

Thanks, whoever pointed it out.

by Anonymousreply 279February 27, 2022 1:27 AM

The D&D episode is also quite good. Too bad the gay characters aren’t eyecandy though.

by Anonymousreply 280February 27, 2022 1:47 AM

R280 I find the British one sexy. But, I've always had a particular thing about upper class British guys.

by Anonymousreply 281February 27, 2022 2:13 AM

No love for Thorfin?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282February 27, 2022 2:27 AM

One thing they kinda need to do, before long, is to figure out some way that will allow Jay and the ghosts to communicate, without him developing what his wife has. It was still funny in this episode but it will wear out before too long.

by Anonymousreply 283February 27, 2022 2:47 AM

Jay did a hilarious impersonation of Hetty.

He was fantastic!

I forgot what episode that was, but try to catch it if you can.

by Anonymousreply 284February 27, 2022 2:52 AM

Only one (living) person can see and communicate with the ghosts in the house? OMFG, that premise rips off the Ann Jillian NBC sitcom Jennifer Slept Here from 1983-84. A new family moves into a dead movie star's old house and only the boy (John P. Navin, who had the very first line on the pilot of Cheers) can see the ghost of the movie star (Ann J.) still "living" in the house. DL fave Georgia Engel plays the boy's mom and Fiona Apple's father plays the boy's dad. Glenn Scarpelli is the boy's best friend (Glenn left The Ann Romano Show to do this show!).

by Anonymousreply 285February 27, 2022 3:03 AM

I didn't think the new episode was all that bad. I mean, it wasn't great, but it had its moments.

by Anonymousreply 286February 27, 2022 3:17 AM

For 284. Hetty in the human body was indeed hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287February 27, 2022 4:20 AM

[quote]Why would an Indian father have an Asian son?

More about Román Zaragoza, who plays Sasappis, r250. He's of Akimel O’otham, Mexican, Japanese and Taiwanese descent .

[quote]what is that Trevor is wearing under his shirt?

[quote]Nothing. He wears absolutely nothing underneath.

Correct, r267. In fact, in an early episode, maybe the pilot, Trevor raises his arms, pulling up his shirt. His nether regions are as pixilated as genitals in Japanese pron. In another episode, he says he wishes he had underwear, prompting Hattie to say: "We all do".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288February 27, 2022 8:07 AM

I know Trevor doesn't have any underwear......I meant the actor in that picture.......at R256.

by Anonymousreply 289February 27, 2022 2:12 PM

I think it's some form of made-for-filming special made underwear. Probably something sturdier than this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290February 27, 2022 2:38 PM

[R269] Ha ha fair enough, I stand corrected. Reading my post back, it does sound unnecessarily aggressive. I was actually just curious to hear from American viewers whether they feel foreign-made shows are less accessible or if it’s more that the TV networks assume that to be the case. As an aside, from the list you linked to, I only recognise one show apart from the reality/quiz shows, that being the truly awful Golden Girls remake Brighton Belles. It got deservedly mauled and canned after, I believe, one series. God knows who thought it was a good idea. You don’t mess with perfection.

by Anonymousreply 291March 1, 2022 1:09 AM

The remake I've always thought was interesting was when France remade Maude as Maguy, it ran for 333 episodes or 192 more episodes than the original.

by Anonymousreply 292March 1, 2022 1:37 AM

I got to the end of the British episodes and now I'm sad. Curse you, short series!

by Anonymousreply 293March 1, 2022 2:57 AM

Is Kitty retarded? WTF is wrong with her that she hasn’t developed past a three-year-old.

by Anonymousreply 294March 3, 2022 12:47 AM

It makes no sense that the recurring ghosts aren’t in every episode. Where would they go? Why would Hetty not be there to meet Pete’s wife? You would think it would be a major event for them, considering they’re always complaining that they’re bored for eternity and nothing ever happens. Where else did she have to be?

Why weren’t Flower and Sasappis there to meet Jay’s sister? Sas being nosy would definitely want to meet her. Were they snubbing her? Why wasn’t Thor there at Hetty’s possession? They made such a big deal about not being able to find Hetty but did they ever wonder why they couldn’t find Thor??

by Anonymousreply 295March 3, 2022 12:52 AM

R295, one word—budget. The cast is rather large, so they only use a handful of actors in each episode. But you’re right—where the hell else would they be? Maybe now that the show is a hit, they’ll have a bigger budget and can use more of the actors in each episode.

by Anonymousreply 296March 3, 2022 1:02 AM

I hope they bump Hetty and Sass from recurring to regular next season. But since they’re adding more ghosts next season, like the teenage prom queen and Crash, they might get even less screen time.

by Anonymousreply 297March 3, 2022 1:09 AM

They need to have more ghosts sucked off. Too many.

by Anonymousreply 298March 3, 2022 1:28 AM

Maybe once a week they spend a day with the cholera ghosts. Or maybe there is some downtime for regenerating. I think they mentioned that going to sleep doesn't really do anything and that it's pointless.

by Anonymousreply 299March 3, 2022 4:09 AM

This show has more implausibilities and inconsistencies than The Golden Girls! 🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 300March 3, 2022 4:34 AM

And why do they need roommates? Why can’t they each have their own rooms? Why would they need to double up? And why wouldn’t Sasappis want to room with Thor? Why would Hetty want to room with Isaac?

by Anonymousreply 301March 3, 2022 5:55 AM

Please stop over-analyzing this show.

It's light-hearted fun, meant to entertain.

And that's exactly what it does.

Those of you nit picking every little detail, are really annoying and boring.

If you don't like the show, then don't watch. It's really that simple.

by Anonymousreply 302March 3, 2022 6:01 AM

I wasn't thrilled with this most recent episode.

I'm starting to understand that with the Viking character, a little goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 303March 4, 2022 6:26 PM

And in this instance SQUIRREL! is appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 304March 4, 2022 7:16 PM

HA! I hope Isaac tells his "friend" how he feels.

No new episode until March 31 when Trevor reveals why he isn't wearing trousers!

by Anonymousreply 305March 4, 2022 9:20 PM

So Isaac came out to Hetty?

by Anonymousreply 306March 4, 2022 11:17 PM

[quote]So Isaac came out to Hetty?

Yes, and it was both hilarious and touching.

by Anonymousreply 307March 4, 2022 11:21 PM

I thought he wasn’t gay. That what people were saying upthread.

It makes no sense for Hetty to be so accepting. She hates the Irish and thinks women shouldn’t handle money but she loves the gays? Makes no sense for someone of her period. Too unrealistic. She would hate the gays too.

by Anonymousreply 308March 5, 2022 7:06 AM

R308, fraus love the gays. Hefty is a frau.

by Anonymousreply 309March 5, 2022 1:11 PM

There was NO touching.

by Anonymousreply 310March 5, 2022 1:49 PM

Hetty has been dead for 130 years. I am positive that Sepsis has taught her the two souls. I'm positive she has heard Flower talk about Gay Liberation. Ghosts learn and progress, and this is what makes them either drop to Hell or get sucked off. Ghosts evolve.

by Anonymousreply 311March 5, 2022 2:00 PM

I don't watch TV much because nothing is interesting, anymore. However, this is the first series I have watched in five years. I think it is refreshingly amusing and original. Thankfully, they keep it down to a half-hour. That's about all I can stand of tv in one go.

by Anonymousreply 312March 5, 2022 2:02 PM

Hetty has been a friend to Issac for over 130 years so I guess that’s enough time to come to terms with it.

by Anonymousreply 313March 5, 2022 5:23 PM

It is interesting that they didn't make Hetty's husband gay in this one, her British counterpart was killed by her husband after finding him with a couple male servants having a gay ole time.

by Anonymousreply 314March 5, 2022 5:26 PM

I'd rather watch reruns of Quincy on COZI-TV!

by Anonymousreply 315March 6, 2022 4:18 AM

Good for you, r315. Now go away.

by Anonymousreply 316March 6, 2022 11:57 AM

It's a show with a lot of scenery-chewing. No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 317March 6, 2022 11:59 AM

I can't wait for the B&B to open so we can see "very special guest stars" check-in like the old-timey sitcoms used to have.

For example, William Holden on "I Love Lucy" comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 318March 6, 2022 12:36 PM

[quote] Hetty has been dead for 130 years. I am positive that Sepsis has taught her the two souls. I'm positive she has heard Flower talk about Gay Liberation. Ghosts learn and progress, and this is what makes them either drop to Hell or get sucked off. Ghosts evolve.

So in 130 years she hasn’t evolved on being racist to the Irish or thinking women should have rights but has only evolved on the gay issue?? That’s pretty inconsistent to her character.

by Anonymousreply 319March 6, 2022 11:50 PM

Looks like you're on to something, r319. You totally should write to the studio and make them aware of that. Clearly this is important to you.

by Anonymousreply 320March 7, 2022 12:33 AM

Della, did Newhart have very special guest stars check-in?

by Anonymousreply 321March 7, 2022 12:37 AM

I don't know, r321, I wasn't a "Newhart" watcher, but, there's this Google thingy you might want to explore.

by Anonymousreply 322March 7, 2022 12:56 AM

This show in its first season got higher ratings than Euphoria, but got 1/100th the amount of hype.

by Anonymousreply 323March 7, 2022 1:02 AM

R321 I loved that show it was hilarious! I think they had some famous guests over the years. I have to go look myself, it's been so long.

by Anonymousreply 324March 7, 2022 1:16 AM

r324, I was rude to r321.

I took their post to be from a nuisance follower(s) that see my name and try to bait me. I make the mistake of venturing into the Meghan & Harry threads. There, I land short of wanting Markle to be burned at the stake, as her obsessive haters want.

I'm sorry, r321, if I mistook you for one of them.

by Anonymousreply 325March 7, 2022 1:43 AM

Della, you obviously missed my disinterest in guest stars.

by Anonymousreply 326March 7, 2022 4:24 AM

The US shows shines when it creates its own stories. When it follows the UK version, it's pretty much fails. For example, the backstory of Pete is way better handled in the UK version (including the hilarious dark details of his death).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327March 7, 2022 11:41 AM

Sorry, it pretty much fails.

by Anonymousreply 328March 7, 2022 11:45 AM

[quote]It makes no sense for Hetty to be so accepting. She hates the Irish and thinks women shouldn’t handle money but she loves the gays? Makes no sense for someone of her period. Too unrealistic. She would hate the gays too.

While, you could say, most people would have been upset during her time period there were people who wouldn't have been if they noticed at all.

Her point was that Isaac was her friend and that mattered more than anything. While she clearly had issues with the way Sam lives her life, in the end, she likes her so she has let go of a lot of that.

I'd argue it's more realistic that while she may be to the "right" with most modern ideas there are a couple she had no severe problem with like her husband being a robber baron.

by Anonymousreply 329March 12, 2022 11:11 PM

[quote] It makes no sense for Hetty to be so accepting

Let me understand this, you want sense from a show about a woman who talks to and sees ghosts?

You must really be perplexed by the fact they can walk through walls but don't fall through floors.

by Anonymousreply 330March 12, 2022 11:19 PM

Hetty is a loveable bigot. She scolds anybody who isn't up to snuff with her outdated views, but at the end of the day she has formed friendships with her fellow ghost and her still living distant relative, Sam.

by Anonymousreply 331March 12, 2022 11:26 PM

Sorry, with her fellow ghosts ...

by Anonymousreply 332March 12, 2022 11:27 PM

I love the British counterpart to Hetty- Lady Fanny Button- her facial expressions are priceless:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333March 12, 2022 11:48 PM

There is a chance this cute sitcom can be analyzed to death. But...

The ghost's horizon should be severely limited. Yes, many of them existed hundreds of years and should have changed their views on certain things by then. But then again, all they ever see is this house. They didn't habe TV, possibly a bit radio and maybe a paper floating around. They probably went with changing times a lot less than humans. I'm curious if that can get addressed in a story. I wonder what times means to them anyway. Just think of those poor cholera ghosts in the basement, standing around for decades with the lights off.

by Anonymousreply 334March 12, 2022 11:48 PM

There are always new ghost arrivals, telling the older ghosts "what's new" in the world. The exposure to TV and internet should get them all up to speed eventually. Unless you're stubborn, like Hetty, and reject most modern inventions and social progress.

by Anonymousreply 335March 12, 2022 11:53 PM

The show's ratings are falling. The hype is over. I suggest you focus your attention on CBS' new "dad who is a professional bowler with a family" s(h)itcom debuting on March 31.

by Anonymousreply 336March 13, 2022 12:04 AM

[quote]The show's ratings are falling. The hype is over.

The ratings have been consistent. The show is already renewed. It's still the 6th ranked show on the network.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337March 13, 2022 1:52 AM

This show seems to remind me of "Head Of The Class" where it had 10 students, a teacher, principal & a secretary all vying for plots & interactions. It will not end well. They should've followed the UK version which hasn't added any new ghosts to their mix in 3 seasons.

The pit is a 1 trick pony. They should keep maybe 5 & suck off the rest. The last 2 episodes (watched back to back) were complete disappointments to me. Hetty's acceptance of Issac seemed heavy handed & preachy to me. Is Ellen's old crew involved with any of this?

The writers can always have a bus with 60 passengers crash thru the front gate for new additions (or even a plane crash) if the current ghosts get big heads & too difficult. They should've waited to add new ghosts to see how the originals pan out & give them their necessary screen time.

by Anonymousreply 338March 13, 2022 9:26 AM

The problem with any ensemble show is the struggle to keep demographics interested in one single character they might find appealing. If they can't find anyone else likable after a couple of episodes, viewers lose interest, because in this busy time, caring about one single character isn't enough. Viewers stop watching and check online episode reviews to decide if the show got interesting again until they stop checking out the online reviews, because something else got more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 339March 13, 2022 10:33 AM

^ Not sure, I understand your post, r339. Are you saying ensemble shows are a problem because viewers may only tune in if their favorite character from the ensemble are prominently featured in the episode. And they stay away if not?

by Anonymousreply 340March 13, 2022 1:45 PM

What's kinda sad is that the actress playing Hetty is doing a better job emoting naturally with a Mid-Atlantic accent than almost all the actors on, "The Gilded Age".

by Anonymousreply 341March 13, 2022 4:06 PM

[quote] Hetty is doing a better job emoting naturally with a Mid-Atlantic accent than almost all the actors on, "The Gilded Age".

I agree!

Her character is very convincing as someone from that era, which is why I like Hetty so much.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this actress in anything, before her appearance on this show.

by Anonymousreply 342March 13, 2022 9:55 PM

Poor Travis's heart exploded? So he isn't whole on the inside.

by Anonymousreply 343March 13, 2022 10:25 PM

R342, I just saw the actress playing a lesbian major on a rerun of United States of Al. She was good in that role, too.

by Anonymousreply 344March 14, 2022 1:01 AM

[quote]I'm surprised I haven't seen this actress in anything, before her appearance on this show.

Perhaps you should watch more television and less internet porn.

by Anonymousreply 345March 14, 2022 1:27 AM

What do you know... she was also in ST Picard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346March 14, 2022 3:56 AM

The wait for new episodes every few weeks is getting annoying.

by Anonymousreply 347March 14, 2022 4:04 AM

It really is r347. They will lose viewers if they do this again.

by Anonymousreply 348March 14, 2022 4:20 AM

[quote]I just saw the actress playing a lesbian major on a rerun of United States of Al. She was good in that role, too.

I guess that explains why she was so accepting of Isaac's whole gay situation.

by Anonymousreply 349March 14, 2022 4:22 AM

Tonight's Trevor episode did not disappoint! Couldn't believe the headless guy showed up again out of the blue.

by Anonymousreply 350April 1, 2022 3:14 AM

ANOTHER 2 week wait for an episode now. We should all tune out next episode to show our displeasure. I know I will.

by Anonymousreply 351April 1, 2022 3:19 AM

WHY THE FUCK IS THERE SO MUCH TIME BETWEEN EPISODES?!?

by Anonymousreply 352April 1, 2022 3:21 AM

I get the feeling that they didn't expect it to be so popular, so didn't order a lot of episodes.

Once they realized, they rushed to film more.

by Anonymousreply 353April 1, 2022 3:32 AM

There is trouble behind the scenes. Producers and writers at odds. A few overly demanding cast members. The cast will be trimmed and the husband might be replaced. All this is causing delays between episodes and CBS execs are not happy.

by Anonymousreply 354April 1, 2022 3:38 AM

[quote]A few overly demanding cast members. The cast will be trimmed and the husband might be replaced.

Aren't they all relative nobodies?

You wait until the show is a bona fide hit in it's second or third season before starting to make demands. I wonder which ones think they are in any position to make demands.

by Anonymousreply 355April 1, 2022 3:42 AM

The wait between episodes is killing their momentum.

by Anonymousreply 356April 1, 2022 3:43 AM

Exactly, R356. Other shows have been killed by this exact problem.

From a ratings juggernaut for CBS, to people tuning out because they can't find it, and are bored waiting for it.

by Anonymousreply 357April 1, 2022 3:46 AM

The headless guy is called Crash.

by Anonymousreply 358April 1, 2022 4:31 AM

He always was r358. I guess maybe it was only in the credits, though. I don't remember anyone calling him that.

by Anonymousreply 359April 1, 2022 4:58 AM

I actually forgot about this show because it hasn't been on for so long.

What a bummer.

by Anonymousreply 360April 1, 2022 5:47 AM

He was called Crash tonight, I believe, by Flower.

by Anonymousreply 361April 1, 2022 6:14 AM

I haven't seen the episode yet, r361, but I knew the headless ghosts name was Crash. I must have read it somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 362April 1, 2022 6:50 AM

The cast members making demands are Flower, Jay, Crash, Tiffany, and Danielle.

by Anonymousreply 363April 1, 2022 10:08 AM

[quote]The cast members making demands are Flower, Jay, Crash, Tiffany, and Danielle.

If true, that's crazy, r363. As r355 said, you wait til the show is settled in before making demands. Also, the actors/characters you mention are very easily cut, with the possible exception of Jay/Utkarsh Ambudkar. The character Crash has only been in 2 or 3 episodes and has spoken only one line. Flower/Sheila Carrasco and Alberta/Danielle Pinnock are not that interesting as characters, and neither are particularly good actresses.

I don't know who Tiffany is, but they can easily lose the characters of Crash, Alberta, and Flower. Let them be "sucked off" or "go down on us", never to be seen again. The remaining cast cab handily take up the slack.

I'd miss Utkarsh Ambudkar, though. His impersonation of Rebecca Wisocky's Hetty when she possessed Jay was pretty damn funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364April 1, 2022 11:08 AM

Tiffany is probably the girl from the prom who they said was usually "sleeping" all the time. She makes a brief appearance in the next episode's promos.

by Anonymousreply 365April 1, 2022 12:12 PM

[quote]The cast members making demands are Flower, Jay, Crash, Tiffany, and Danielle.

Given the premise of the show, any of them, including Jay, can easily be killed off and new ghosts brought in to replace them. Having her husband die and NOT become a ghost would actually make for a poignant story arc.

Rose McIver (Samantha), Hetty, Isaac, and maybe Thorfinn (given the backstory of his being Hetty's invisible friend from her own childhood which adds a lot of depth to the overall story) are less replaceable.

by Anonymousreply 366April 1, 2022 12:23 PM

It's a fun show, but boy, if that behind the scenes gossip is true, it really went down the drain fast. The original show is still on air (series 3 aired last year, including a Christmas special featuring Jennifer Saunders as guest star). I wonder if the US show will last that long with all that drama happening already?

by Anonymousreply 367April 1, 2022 12:29 PM

[quote]It's a fun show, but boy, if that behind the scenes gossip is true, it really went down the drain fast.

I haven't heard about any of that except for here, from r354, who hates the show and r363. whose post, even if true, makes no sense. An actress whose character (Tiffany) has yet to make an appearance 16 episodes in is demanding more money? Who would be that stupid, when, as r366 says, most of them can be very easily replaced?

by Anonymousreply 368April 1, 2022 12:57 PM

I’ve not read anything about tension on the set. Source?

by Anonymousreply 369April 1, 2022 1:04 PM

Do Ghosts have sex?

by Anonymousreply 370April 1, 2022 7:35 PM

So it appears...

by Anonymousreply 371April 1, 2022 8:37 PM

[quote]Do Ghosts have sex?

In one of the episodes, the 500 year old Native American ghost says that ghosts can have sex, but that they "can't finish".

by Anonymousreply 372April 1, 2022 8:40 PM

The thing is that CBS never ordered many episodes to begin with, just 18 episodes if I remember correctly. And then a cast member tested Covid positive mid-December which delayed production. And I'm sure special effects prolong production even further. So I can see why they need to fill the season with re-runs. Very unfortunate though. I agree, they're at risk losing momentum.

by Anonymousreply 373April 3, 2022 1:47 AM

[quote] In one of the episodes, the 500 year old Native American ghost says that ghosts can have sex, but that they "can't finish".

I know, I'm analyzing this to death, but I doubt that this is reliable information. As far as we know no ghost had 'relations' with another ghost leading to the point where they tried sex. There is no rule book. And unlike Samantha, none of the ghosts got a chance to talk to peers outside the Woodstone estate. Maybe Sasappis tried to jerk off and couldn't finish.

by Anonymousreply 374April 3, 2022 1:54 AM

[quote]An actress whose character (Tiffany) has yet to make an appearance 16 episodes in is demanding more money?

She's going to be one of the major characters in season 2 as there will be a season-long mystery of how she died. If she's demanding now, the writers will scrap the seasons long who-dun-it and make her die in a silly way like what they did to Trevor after he got too big for his britches.

Rumor is they'll replace the husband but he won't die. They'll just get another actor to play him like they did the second Darren. Actors being considered are Kyle Bornheimer and Thomas Middleditch since he's leaving B-Positive.

by Anonymousreply 375April 3, 2022 3:17 AM

Or is B-Positive leaving him?

by Anonymousreply 376April 3, 2022 3:20 AM

[quote] Actors being considered are Kyle Bornheimer and Thomas Middleditch since he's leaving B-Positive.

You're a little late for April Fools' Day, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 377April 3, 2022 3:21 AM

[quote]In one of the episodes, the 500 year old Native American ghost says that ghosts can have sex, but that they "can't finish".

[quote]I know, I'm analyzing this to death, but I doubt that this is reliable information. As far as we know no ghost had 'relations' with another ghost leading to the point where they tried sex. There is no rule book. And unlike Samantha, none of the ghosts got a chance to talk to peers outside the Woodstone estate. Maybe Sasappis tried to jerk off and couldn't finish.

You really are overanalyzing this. Why would Sasappis lie?

[quote]She's going to be one of the major characters in season 2 as there will be a season-long mystery of how she died. If she's demanding now, the writers will scrap the seasons long who-dun-it and make her die in a silly way like what they did to Trevor after he got too big for his britches.

[quote]Rumor is they'll replace the husband but he won't die. They'll just get another actor to play him like they did the second Darren. Actors being considered are Kyle Bornheimer and Thomas Middleditch since he's leaving B-Positive.

You are just making shit up now.

by Anonymousreply 378April 3, 2022 4:41 AM

[quote] Why would Sasappis lie?

He wouldn't lie. He just wouldn't know any better.

by Anonymousreply 379April 3, 2022 10:53 AM

The husband's role is a bit of a let down for the actor and the character. He is never going to have any dialog with the ghosts, so he can only have conversations with the wife or guests.

by Anonymousreply 380April 3, 2022 10:57 AM

[quote]Why would Sasappis lie?

[quote]He wouldn't lie. He just wouldn't know any better.—Analyzing beyond death now.

Sasappis is asked directly if ghosts can have sex. He responds "Yes, but we can't finish. It's very frustrating". He then chases Sam down, saying "Wait! I wanna tell Jay about ghost sex!". Sounds like he's speaking from personal experience [and I can't believe we're discussing this, r379].

[quote]The husband's role is a bit of a let down for the actor and the character. He is never going to have any dialog with the ghosts, so he can only have conversations with the wife or guests.

Jay can talk to the ghosts, r380, and they have been able to respond by having Trevor write on Jay's shower-fogged mirror. They can expand on skills later. Trevor can get better at typing on the computer. Jay could have a life-threatening experience or be possessed again.

by Anonymousreply 381April 3, 2022 11:27 AM

All Jay needs is a near-death experience to communicate with the other ghosts. That could become a storyline in a future episode or even a cliffhanger (will he succeed, will he fail, will it go sideways, and he becomes a ghost himself????).

by Anonymousreply 382April 3, 2022 12:30 PM

[quote] Given the premise of the show, any of them, including Jay, can easily be killed off and new ghosts brought in to replace them. Having her husband die and NOT become a ghost would actually make for a poignant story arc.

what r366 said.

Or, if Jay dies and is made a Ghost, and, widowed, she falls in love with somebody else... Or, she dies and is made a Ghost, the possibilities are endless for all the characters.

Including being sucked off if the actor wants to leave the show or is booted.

by Anonymousreply 383April 3, 2022 12:30 PM

what r382 said, too.

on the topic of casts demands, I'm out of touch. I didn't realize acting jobs with steady pay are so plentiful. If I were a recurring cast member on ANY hit show, I'd just thank my lucky stars and shut-up.

by Anonymousreply 384April 3, 2022 12:34 PM

Alan and I can help with negotiations!

by Anonymousreply 385April 3, 2022 1:55 PM

r382- that's one of the episodes in the British version, but I haven't finished that one yet.

by Anonymousreply 386April 3, 2022 2:38 PM

A good story arc would be if the husband gained, then lost, the ability to see the ghosts.

That way, there would also always been the threat to her and the ghosts that she might lose the ability to see and communicate with them. If he stays on the show, it would also make his relationships with the ghosts he knows more meaningful AND would also create tension with any new ghosts who might not like him.

by Anonymousreply 387April 3, 2022 11:11 PM

Tiffany, Crash, Nancy, Nigel, and William are going to become regulars next season.

by Anonymousreply 388April 4, 2022 5:21 AM

[quote]on the topic of casts demands, I'm out of touch. I didn't realize acting jobs with steady pay are so plentiful.

The only place I have seen of any talk of cast demands has been here, r384. I'm taking those claims with a grain of salt. Speaking of....

[quote]Tiffany, Crash, Nancy, Nigel, and William are going to become regulars next season.

You previously claimed that Tiffany (who has yet to appear) is going to be one of the major characters in season 2 and there will be a season-long mystery of how she died. The next episode (April 14th) is titled "The Attic Girl" so I guess that might be Tiffany? Also that that actress (whoever that might be) is demanding more money. Do you have links for any of this or can you at least give us an idea of your sources?

I was able to find one obscure gossip site that did suggest that Betsy Sodaro (Nancy) will be returning. Not welcome news, imo. I find Sodoro's voice grating, and the character one note.

by Anonymousreply 389April 4, 2022 10:51 AM

I can see that writers may find the group a little too cohesive. There is no real antagonist in the current cast. Everybody loves and respects everybody. It's tough to create a good story without drama. So far, the guests provided the drama, but that could become problem in the long run.

Of the listed characters I could only see William with potential. I agree, Nancy is one note at this time. Good writing may be able to go beyond that. I don't find Nigel interesting enough right now. And Crash - well he is a prop, not a character.

Just be aware, whoever they make regular, one of the same gender probably has to go. I'm thinking Flower has the least profile at this point.

by Anonymousreply 390April 4, 2022 11:46 AM

[quote]Tiffany, Crash, Nancy, Nigel, and William are going to become regulars next season.

Also, who is William?

by Anonymousreply 391April 4, 2022 11:47 AM

I'm sorry I meant Elias, Hetty's husband and least favorite cousin.

by Anonymousreply 392April 4, 2022 11:49 AM

[quote]Of the listed characters I could only see William [meaning Elias?] with potential. I agree, Nancy is one note at this time. Good writing may be able to go beyond that. I don't find Nigel interesting enough right now. And Crash - well he is a prop, not a character.

Elias went to hell. No reason why they can't bring him back, I guess, but he was a literal moustache twirling villain. His ghost power of making people (and animals) horny was mildly amusing but would get tiresome for me pretty quickly.

John Hartman (Nigel) is a Second City actor, so he presumably has some range, but Betsy Sodaro (Nancy) has essentially played the same role with the same voice in everything I've seen her in. No amount of writing can help with that. I have never seen her out of a character, so she might be able to do more, ala Jean Stapleton or Irene Ryan.

Crash is a prop for right now, but he does have a head and can speak if they ever find it and reattach it

by Anonymousreply 393April 4, 2022 4:07 PM

speaking of salaries are 1) all of them getting paid the same amount and 2) how much per episode?

by Anonymousreply 394April 4, 2022 9:58 PM

The 4 main ghosts are paid the same amount and the 4 recurring ghosts are paid scale. But I think Sass recently got promoted to main ghost as he's credited differently now and moved up the credit list. The 4 recurring ghosts used be credited alphabetically at the end with Roman credited last.

by Anonymousreply 395April 5, 2022 8:19 PM

R395, I wouldn’t even know who’s main and who’s recurring.

by Anonymousreply 396April 5, 2022 8:20 PM

Flower, Thor, Hetty, and Sass are recurring. They don't appear in all episodes like the main cast does.

by Anonymousreply 397April 5, 2022 8:25 PM

Who can qualify to get sucked off? All the ghosts seem kind-hearted enough so I guess that's not it. Is it anything like un unfinished business?

by Anonymousreply 398April 5, 2022 8:31 PM

Thanks r397. Except for Flower, all of these characters are as good or better than the main characters.

by Anonymousreply 399April 5, 2022 8:32 PM

Why does everyone hate Flower in all forums?

by Anonymousreply 400April 5, 2022 8:39 PM

I don't think it's hate. It's just that the character has the least profile, imo. She doesn't seem to add much.

by Anonymousreply 401April 5, 2022 9:27 PM

Irritating character who adds zero to the story.

by Anonymousreply 402April 6, 2022 8:30 AM

I think that Flower shows the randomness of death.

by Anonymousreply 403April 6, 2022 10:44 AM

Flower is on a permanent trip; it's tedious.

Add me to the list of people who'd like to see Jay, for a bit at least, to be able to communicate with the ghosts. Once Sam starts interacting with them he has little to do other than find fresh ways to say "OK."

For drama, they could have some total tool come as a B&B guest, then die and hang around to torment everyone for a while.

I think what really works is having the ghosts be grounded for the first time maybe ever, because Sam is their Google to the real world. It makes it easier to believe they're evolving and why.

One season in, Hetty has become my favorite. Her aside comments about the sexes, class and cocaine are a riot.

by Anonymousreply 404April 6, 2022 6:41 PM

Hetty MUST have a secret that prevents her from being sucked up.

by Anonymousreply 405April 6, 2022 9:25 PM

In the UK version, there was an episode where an annoying neighbor and his wife join the living couple for dinner and the ghosts and the female lead freak out when the annoying neighbor shows signs of having a heart attack. They desperately try to get rid of him, so he won't die on their land and become a ghost, annoying them for all eternity. I believe in the US version, the annoying neighbor is played by Mark Linn-Baker.

by Anonymousreply 406April 7, 2022 2:47 AM

Trevor giving away his pants and boxers....

by Anonymousreply 407April 7, 2022 1:57 PM

Love that the banker's big secret is that he's a good guy.

by Anonymousreply 408April 7, 2022 3:17 PM

[quote]Aren't they all relative nobodies?

Rose McIver had, iZombie for 5 seasons before it ended.

[quote]All the ghosts seem kind-hearted enough so I guess that's not it. Is it anything like un unfinished business?

I still believe they won't get sucked off until they're all ready to go beyond their own issues; like Alberta finding out who killed her after proving she was murdered. There are other ghosts in the house. There (if it follows the BBC series) were other ghosts around that got sucked off during their time there. However, this particular group has stuck with each other.

by Anonymousreply 409April 7, 2022 3:27 PM

I wish the writers would figure out a way for Trevor to lose the shirt so we can finally see his naked ass! Or maybe figure out a way to have him find Jay's underwear drawer and steal a pair of his briefs. Jay looks a little less bulky than Trevor, so the briefs would be too small and Trevor could spend the episode with hands covering his bulge. I think Asher is sexy AF! He's the only reason I watch Otherwise, it's a pretty lame show. Just a rehash of Bewitched, Jeannie, My Favorite Martian, etc.

Any gay rumors about Asher? Seen a few short interviews on YouTube, I think I detect a little pinging.

by Anonymousreply 410April 7, 2022 3:50 PM

I watched one or two interviews with him on YT, too. In one he very casually mentions a crush on a girl in his teenage years. It wasn't like 'Look at me, the stud who gets laid by the hottest women'. It was more mentioned as added background for something else. If that was a calculated story to stay in a closet, it was done beautifully, not as ham-fisted like other cover-ups. I think it was a true story.

by Anonymousreply 411April 7, 2022 7:13 PM

[quote]Just a rehash of Bewitched, Jeannie, My Favorite Martian, etc.

How is this a rehash of those shows? I don't think those shows even had ghosts.

So Trevor's friend David Woodstone is Rose's uncle. Why didn't great aunt Sophie leave the mansion to her own living son instead of some grand niece she's hardly ever met?

by Anonymousreply 412April 7, 2022 10:26 PM

I thought they said in the pilot he predeceased her r412.

by Anonymousreply 413April 7, 2022 10:31 PM

(R412) Ordinary/"Living" Humans/Mortals interacting with Non-Human/Not Alive/Alien beings who possess "supernatural" powers, and are seen/known/aware of by one person/a select few.

Hilarity ensues when said "supernatural" beings attempt to adjust to the "Ordinary/Human/Living" world while attempting and/or failing to conceal previously mentioned "supernatural powers".

Think about the similarities in the basic themes. I would also throw in "The Addams Family/The Munsters/Mork and Mindy" and perhaps a dozen or so others I can't think of at the moment.

Getting back to dreamboat Asher, I was underwhelmed (to say the least) as to the "big revelation" as to why Trevor isn't wearing pants. In fact, it was such a letdown that I must have either dozed off, ran into the kitchen for a snack, or to the bathroom to pee, because I don't really remember the "shocking details" . Something about hazing a new financial wizard and stripping him, and Trevor uncharacteristically lending him his pants and "boxers" (by the way wouldn't Trevor's character have worn boxer briefs, or would that have been anachronistic?) . Don't remember the rest, did Trevor accidentally drown? While I'm at it, did they bother explaining why Trevor is still wearing his shoes without pants/underwear? We know that the real reason is so that Asher doesn't need to walk around the dusty, unsafe set in his stocking feet and risk stepping on a rusty nail or a tack. But why would Trevor still be wearing shoes? Can we not assume he removed his shoes when he took of his pants/underwear?

They better figure out a way to show Asher's cute tush soon or I suspect they will lose a lot of their gay viewers (which I venture to guess make up a large percentage of their viewership)

A

by Anonymousreply 414April 8, 2022 4:01 AM

[quote]Ordinary/"Living" Humans/Mortals interacting with Non-Human/Not Alive/Alien beings who possess "supernatural" powers, and are seen/known/aware of by one person/a select few.

You could literally say that about Harry Potter. It's kind of a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 415April 8, 2022 4:06 AM

Why is American TV so prudish? In the UK version it was clear that Julian (the UK version of Trevor) had a heart attack during kinky sex.

by Anonymousreply 416April 8, 2022 6:16 AM

So Trevor's friend David Woodstone died young too? Is that friend group cursed or what? 2 out of 4 have died. So who was Ari calling and asking "Did one of you squeal about what we did?" if David is dead? The Asian guy? Why did he say "one of you" if the other person isn't even alive?

by Anonymousreply 417April 8, 2022 10:15 AM

Since no one ever found out what these guys did, does that mean Trevor's body was never found and is still in the lake? Is Trevor technically a missing person and not dead?

by Anonymousreply 418April 8, 2022 10:18 AM

[quote]So Trevor's friend David Woodstone died young too? Is that friend group cursed or what? 2 out of 4 have died. So who was Ari calling and asking "Did one of you squeal about what we did?" if David is dead?

There were at least 5 guys at Woodstone. Trevor died there, and David died around the age of 52. not so young when you consider he abused drugs and alcohol, So yes, Asian guy and Pincus - plus they all made phone calls to their dads after Trevor died, and probably blabbed to other "bros".

[quote]Since no one ever found out what these guys did, does that mean Trevor's body was never found and is still in the lake? Is Trevor technically a missing person and not dead?

I think Trevor mentioned he got the photo of him for the dating app from his obituary.

Did anyone else think that Ari looked like Anderson Cooper?

by Anonymousreply 419April 8, 2022 11:38 AM

[quote] In the UK version it was clear that Julian (the UK version of Trevor) had a heart attack during kinky sex.

Apples and Oranges.

I think in this case, it's much more interesting that finance bro Trevor is actually a good guy and he didn't want people to know.

BBC Ghost's Julian is married, older, cheats and has free passes with his wife, is a conservative MP and we don't get to see him really be "sweet" until he starts playing with the home owner's niece to stop her from crying and help her mother get some sleep. (Which also connects with him realizing how much he wasn't there for his own child.) He's based on the former conservative politician, Stephen Milligan, who allegedly died of autoerotic asphyxiation.

I think Julian/Trevor are different enough at this point that it makes sense to diverge here. Julian was never really a good guy so his death fits it.

by Anonymousreply 420April 8, 2022 12:51 PM

Does anyone actually know for sure why one becomes a ghost? Everybody seems to assume that individuals keep hovering around because they have unfinished business. But that's never been confirmed, right? They could be ghosts because some Grand Schemer could hold them for personal pleasure. Or one of the ghosts in the house is keeping everybody else for company. Or heaven has a wait list. Would like the writers to explore this some more.

I'd also like Sam to venture out more to ghosts nearby. Does the annoying neighbor couple have their own ghosts? There seemed to dozens or even hundreds (thousands?) of ghosts in the city nearby. Should be interesting to find out more about them.

And then I would like to see some inventive ways for Jay to communicate with the ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 421April 8, 2022 1:19 PM

Alexa!

by Anonymousreply 422April 8, 2022 1:29 PM

I don't know. If the gays lose interest in Trevor, Crash isn't too bad to look at. Thick dark hair, blue eyes, heavy lashes and brows, nice mouth and chin. He's even more my type than Trevor!

by Anonymousreply 423April 8, 2022 8:53 PM

Each to his own R423, still think Trevor is Hot AF and won't rest till we get to see his naked butt! Am thinking about circulating a petition.

by Anonymousreply 424April 8, 2022 9:57 PM

It's broadcast, it would be pixilated, like they do when he wears briefs, and they pixelate the underwear.

by Anonymousreply 425April 8, 2022 11:39 PM

[quote] Thick dark hair, blue eyes, heavy lashes and brows, nice mouth and chin.

If only Crash knew where all that is right now.

by Anonymousreply 426April 9, 2022 12:05 AM

[quote]It's broadcast, it would be pixilated, like they do when he wears briefs, and they pixelate the underwear.

Trevor's nethers were pixelated in an early episode. Maybe it will go to Netflix eventually.

by Anonymousreply 427April 9, 2022 12:15 AM

And you can tell he was wearing tighty whities that were pixilated.

by Anonymousreply 428April 9, 2022 2:20 PM

I want one of those bottles of vodka.

by Anonymousreply 429April 9, 2022 2:24 PM

[quote]I want one of those bottles of vodka.

I...don't think you do, r429. I'm pretty sure that "Chekov Chill" is a stand in for Smirnoff Ice, which is a malt liquor beverage.

by Anonymousreply 430April 10, 2022 3:14 AM

[quote]An actress whose character (Tiffany) has yet to make an appearance 16 episodes in is demanding more money?

[quote]She's going to be one of the major characters in season 2 as there will be a season-long mystery of how she died. If she's demanding now, the writers will scrap the seasons long who-dun-it and make her die in a silly way like what they did to Trevor after he got too big for his britches.

[quote]Rumor is they'll replace the husband but he won't die. They'll just get another actor to play him like they did the second Darren. Actors being considered are Kyle Bornheimer and Thomas Middleditch since he's leaving B-Positive.

After last night's episode (Attic Girl), we should know better than to listen to r375's "insider" reports. First, the prom girl's name is Stephanie, not Tiffany (and that is one hard-looking "teen"). Second, we learn within the episode that we meet her in how she died. I didn't like the character at all, and I hope she goes back to sleep for another year.

by Anonymousreply 431April 15, 2022 9:03 AM

Some of the fun that has been missing from the last several episodes was back with this episode (and some real random moments), but overall I liked it. Hetty's "Take it down!" at the end made me chuckle as well as the cliche "prom moment". This episode also highlighted why Jay needs to stay: even as second fiddle, he shines with the smallest bits.

by Anonymousreply 432April 15, 2022 11:35 AM

Ghost Prom!!!!

by Anonymousreply 433April 15, 2022 1:20 PM

Isaac: You think she gets sucked off?

Hetty: Sucked off at Prom? I suppose anything is possible!

by Anonymousreply 434April 15, 2022 2:25 PM

Odessa A’zion, Stephanie, was in Grand Army, but it was canceled by Netflix after one season. It's sort of a mashup of Euphoria and Degrassi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435April 15, 2022 2:34 PM

Hetty had some really good moments in that episode. The actress is talented. It was also fun having Alberta being able to run Alexa but then understanding the hell that the ghosts put Sam through with their ongoing requests.

by Anonymousreply 436April 15, 2022 7:56 PM

I didn’t like this episode as much as others, but I think the show’s unevenness is probably due to the impact of Covid-19 on schedules, etc. Some episodes I really, really enjoyed (The Vault is so funny), and you can see the potential, but others like this one leave me meh.

by Anonymousreply 437April 15, 2022 8:56 PM

I really hate the attic girl... The actress AND the character. I hope we never see her again.

by Anonymousreply 438April 16, 2022 4:22 AM

Well, you're going to be seeing a lot of her as we delve into the mystery of why she was killed next season. Was the boyfriend involved and why did he survive? Was it the real chainsaw killer or a copycat sent by someone who wanted her gone?

by Anonymousreply 439April 16, 2022 7:30 AM

This was a very childish episode. It seemed like a simplistic children's show. I've been telling people to watch Ghosts and would have been embarrassed if they saw this as their first episode.

by Anonymousreply 440April 16, 2022 7:32 AM

[quote] After last night's episode (Attic Girl), we should know better than to listen to [R375]'s "insider" reports

Was anyone really listening to R375?? Sounded like pure bullshit to me, from the get-go.

by Anonymousreply 441April 16, 2022 7:50 AM

I believe it was a belated April's Fools joke.

by Anonymousreply 442April 16, 2022 8:34 AM

[quote]Isaac: You think she gets sucked off?

[quote]Hetty: Sucked off at Prom? I suppose anything is possible!

Best part of the episode. And Hetty is the best ghost.

by Anonymousreply 443April 16, 2022 4:26 PM

My favorite Ghosts, in order:

1) Alberta

2) Hetty

3) Trevor (for obvious reasons)

by Anonymousreply 444April 16, 2022 4:28 PM

Trevor trying to avoid handsy Stephanie is great, too.

Trevor: Not going to happen!

by Anonymousreply 445April 16, 2022 4:30 PM

r443, that is because the writers are naughty.

by Anonymousreply 446April 16, 2022 4:31 PM

Hetty needs her dress adjusted. It does not look very authentic in terms of color or fabric. Especially the top front looks heavily padded, almost like a space suit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447April 16, 2022 5:19 PM

I like the show, even though this past episode wasn't that great, my biggest gripe about the show is that the ghosts are too modernized.

by Anonymousreply 448April 16, 2022 5:24 PM

Is there a new episode tonight?

by Anonymousreply 449April 22, 2022 2:11 AM

Yes r449, it is the season finale.

by Anonymousreply 450April 22, 2022 2:39 AM

Will one of the ghosts die in a season finale cliff hanger?

by Anonymousreply 451April 22, 2022 2:43 AM

It would be nice if one got sucked off...

by Anonymousreply 452April 22, 2022 2:46 AM

Asher comes from a Billionaire family. His father sold his medical service buisiness for like a billion and a half dollars.

by Anonymousreply 453April 22, 2022 3:00 AM

Do you think Jay died in the fall and will be a ghost now?

by Anonymousreply 454April 22, 2022 3:02 AM

[quote] Will one of the ghosts die [...]?

Lol

by Anonymousreply 455April 22, 2022 3:39 AM

[quote] Will one of the ghosts die [...]?

The show pretty much established that ghosts can be sucked off.

by Anonymousreply 456April 22, 2022 7:17 AM

I liked that that slow rolled the credits on the season finale. Gave viewers time to add a name to the characters. Now if they could get rid of United States of Al and both B Positive and the bowling crap. I want Al murdered by a Taliban cell and the bowling mom have to give $20 blow jobs with Nadine to make the mortgage. Georgie on YS is interesting. Ghosts is superb and Bill is going Bye Bye. CBS RETOOL NOW!!!

by Anonymousreply 457April 22, 2022 2:56 PM

^^^BULL, YOU FUCKING AUTOCORRECT

by Anonymousreply 458April 22, 2022 2:58 PM

No mention of Issac & his romance?

The DL is slipping big time!

by Anonymousreply 459April 25, 2022 3:55 PM

R454, that’s what I think is a possibility. That would open so many more story avenues, the most obvious being that she meets someone, and falls in love and wants to marry him

by Anonymousreply 460April 25, 2022 5:19 PM

So she cheats on Jay? Of course the show won't go there. The show won't kill off Jay. Its a light hearted comedy. The most they would do is for the fall to temporarily let Jay see the ghosts but I doubt that. The fall was just a sight gag for this episode and won't even be mentioned next season.

by Anonymousreply 461April 25, 2022 5:33 PM

R457, I saw a promo that said the 6 most watched comedies are on CBS. They are Young Sheldon, Ghosts, There Goes The Neighborhood, Al, and the cinnamon rolls show. Poor B Positive didn't make the cut.

by Anonymousreply 462April 25, 2022 5:37 PM

It was interesting the other ghost was jealous of Isaac......and lied to Isaac about the other guy being sucked off.

by Anonymousreply 463April 25, 2022 6:11 PM

[quote] The show won't kill off Jay.

They are not. I read an interview with the producers about what's coming in season 2. They said they are looking into exploring more ways for Jay to interact with the ghosts. So he will stay. Now that doesn't exclude the option of recasting. But Jay stays.

by Anonymousreply 464April 25, 2022 8:02 PM

I am surprised that Hetty hasn't made an issue if the interracial marriage.

by Anonymousreply 465April 25, 2022 8:16 PM

I’ve lied about getting sucked off all the time!

by Anonymousreply 466April 25, 2022 8:54 PM

R465, of course she has. They just won’t show it since they don’t want her to look racist.

by Anonymousreply 467April 25, 2022 9:43 PM

Who said the boyfriend survived R439? Just because he isnt a ghost doesnt mean he wasnt killed or we just havent seen him yet. And, if thats a mystery next season, thats a bad idea -the actress and character were a complete turnoff.

by Anonymousreply 468April 25, 2022 9:46 PM

R463, greasy little Red Coat three way!!!

by Anonymousreply 469April 25, 2022 9:52 PM

Nigel said they had a tryst. Was this before they were dead or after? Could dead people have a tryst? Would they need to use protection? Was this pre-AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 470April 25, 2022 9:55 PM

I find Thorfinn sexier than Trevor. We all have our personal preferences. Still loving this show ,I agree that Hetty is truly the standout among the ghosts. I like them all,even poor Flower who everyone seems to hate. Nancy the cholera ghost I find hilarious but a little of her does go a rather long way. Against my better judgement I also like B-Positive,though I loathe and despise Middleditch . thank god hes rarely on.

by Anonymousreply 471April 25, 2022 10:05 PM

Why is he rarely on? Isn’t he the star of the show? That’s like Dharma and Greg with the Greg.

by Anonymousreply 472April 25, 2022 10:15 PM

I did like how he shouted “Sam!” in the last episode, a nice callback to Bewitched.

by Anonymousreply 473April 25, 2022 10:40 PM

What’s Be Witch?

by Anonymousreply 474April 25, 2022 10:51 PM

[quote]the actress and character were a complete turnoff.

It would have been better, IMHO, if Stephanie wasn't a mean girl ghost. Then at least you could feel bad for her. (And maybe at some distant point figured out who killed her and then contact her now older parents.)

[quote]I am surprised that Hetty hasn't made an issue if the interracial marriage.

Besides the obvious idea that her hatred of the Irish can be played as a joke (since it's not as current as an issue) it would be problematic because two of her fellow ghosts she's spent years with, Alberta and Sasappis aren't white. Also Trevor is Jewish.

She would have either gotten over her prejudices against those groups (if she had them) or learned to keep them to herself.

However, there's no Irish ghost there so she has neither gotten over it or felt any need to be silent about it.

by Anonymousreply 475April 25, 2022 11:12 PM

[quote]and the cinnamon rolls show.

Expect to hear from my lawyers, CBS.

by Anonymousreply 476April 25, 2022 11:23 PM

Is "Ghosts" ever going to have another episode? Or is 18 episodes it? Was that last episode (the Norse curse) really the season finale?

WTF IS GOING ON?

by Anonymousreply 477May 20, 2022 4:18 AM

They’re recasting and retooling before they’re back.

by Anonymousreply 478May 20, 2022 4:39 AM

... Why?!?

by Anonymousreply 479May 20, 2022 2:30 PM

R478 is just making that up, r479. They also posted this:

[quote]This show was actually created by ghosts. I didn’t know that. It was written by them too. I wonder if they get credit for the American version.

The Norse Curse episode was the finale of season one, r477.

by Anonymousreply 480May 20, 2022 5:26 PM

There was no indication it was the finale. It didn't seem like a finale. And 18 episodes is a weird number of episodes for a season, isn't it?

Anyway, that's genuinely disappointing. I expected 2-4 more episodes.

by Anonymousreply 481May 21, 2022 6:51 AM

R480, how is that a false statement? All 8 ghosts actually do get credited in the credits as executive producers.

by Anonymousreply 482May 21, 2022 10:51 AM

The season ended not with a bang, but with a whimper...

by Anonymousreply 483May 24, 2022 3:54 AM

With the success of Ghosts, ABC is creating their own version with Gina Rodriguez. Gina’s career and romantic life completely falls apart and she has to move back home and take a job writing obituaries. One day she hits her head on the way to work and now she can see the people she’s writing obituaries for. They help her write the obituaries which gains a huge following for how well thought out and well researched they are. Then she finally meets the One in a meet cute at a funeral. Only problem - he’s dead. The meet cute was at his own funeral. Can a couple make it when one isn’t breathing? Would you watch?

by Anonymousreply 484May 24, 2022 5:14 AM

Finally caught up on this show and ended up watching 16 episodes in a row (thanks, insomnia). The first two episodes took a while to build, but after that, I was all in. Got a few laugh out loud moments in every episode, some wonderfully moving moments, and a really likeable cast. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 485June 19, 2022 10:11 AM

r477 and r481, per the article in the OP:

"As for next season, there’s a chance that “Ghosts” might produce even more than this season’s 18 episodes (limited by COVID contingencies)."

by Anonymousreply 486June 19, 2022 10:18 AM

Lesson I learned from Ghosts:

Nobody gets sucked off on Prom Night.

by Anonymousreply 487June 19, 2022 2:18 PM

Lesson I learned from Ghosts:

They have naughty writers.

by Anonymousreply 488June 19, 2022 5:08 PM

Anyone going to watch the ABC ripoff?

by Anonymousreply 489June 19, 2022 8:05 PM

More ghosts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490July 22, 2022 6:37 PM

Ghosts is back tonight, and the reviews are great! Well, one review. I love this show!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491September 29, 2022 6:10 PM

Good opening episode for the second season. Very glad it's back on.

by Anonymousreply 492October 1, 2022 2:33 AM

The second episode was charming. Too bad the Alberta character didn't get to die in the ivory outfit she wore while performing in the flashback. And they have toned down Flower being a strung-out idiot, which is a very welcome development. She was the one that needed to go last season but might be able to be redeemed now.

by Anonymousreply 493October 11, 2022 3:14 AM

[quote]With the success of Ghosts, ABC is creating their own version with Gina Rodriguez. Gina’s career and romantic life completely falls apart and she has to move back home and take a job writing obituaries. One day she hits her head on the way to work and now she can see the people she’s writing obituaries for. They help her write the obituaries which gains a huge following for how well thought out and well researched they are. Then she finally meets the One in a meet cute at a funeral. Only problem - he’s dead. The meet cute was at his own funeral. Can a couple make it when one isn’t breathing? Would you watch?

This sounds horrible. All ABC shows suck.

by Anonymousreply 494October 16, 2022 5:04 AM

Last week's episode was charming.

by Anonymousreply 495October 19, 2022 3:22 AM

This week's show continued the charming run. The actress who plays Hetty just keeps knocking it out of the park. I love her speaking voice.

by Anonymousreply 496November 4, 2022 3:19 PM

[quote] With the success of Ghosts, ABC is creating their own version with Gina Rodriguez. Gina’s career and romantic life completely falls apart and she has to move back home and take a job writing obituaries. One day she hits her head on the way to work and now she can see the people she’s writing obituaries for. They help her write the obituaries which gains a huge following for how well thought out and well researched they are. Then she finally meets the One in a meet cute at a funeral. Only problem - he’s dead. The meet cute was at his own funeral. Can a couple make it when one isn’t breathing? Would you watch?

Has anyone seen the Gina Rodriguez Ghosts ripoff yet? How is it?

by Anonymousreply 497February 26, 2023 6:34 PM

R496, I love Hetty, too

by Anonymousreply 498February 26, 2023 6:38 PM

Is anyone still watching this show?

I didn't watch season two when the episodes first came out, but now I'm watching them On Demand, and it's still funny as hell.

I'm surprised by the Hetty and Trevor coupling. It kind of yucks me out because they're so mis-matched.

However, I do love the Isaac and Nigel story. There was one hilarious episode where Nigel's ex-lover from the shed just stares at Isaac, and then gossips that Nigel gave him a blowjob during the Christmas holidays when Isaac and Nigel were "broken up."

Then there was the gay Puritan in the neighbor's house who Isaac started "dating" by shouting across the yard. And the Puritan was horny and dirty, and Isaac got grossed out by him.

The whole thing was fucking hilarious!!

I'm hooked again.

by Anonymousreply 499August 26, 2023 1:03 AM

I also love Nancy the cholera victim.

She is one of the best characters on the show!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500August 26, 2023 1:07 AM

Asher Grodman is a real smarty pants.

He has a BA from Columbia and an MFA from the American Conservatory Theater.

He's also an Adjunct Lecturer at Hunter College.

36 and single. Why? He's a great catch. Handsome, rich and smart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501August 26, 2023 6:20 AM

I am allllll about Devon C Long

by Anonymousreply 502January 8, 2024 3:21 AM

What is the deal with the suck-offs? Is this really part of a CBS show?

by Anonymousreply 503January 8, 2024 7:00 PM

Season 3. Anyone watching? Flower is back. Wonder how the actress felt being written off then back on.

by Anonymousreply 504April 21, 2024 12:50 AM

The April 11th episode featuring Isaac & Nigel’s bachelor parties and Alberta screwing a visiting poltergeist was one of the funniest of the season.

by Anonymousreply 505April 21, 2024 1:01 AM

[quote]Wonder how the actress felt being written off then back on.

She had a baby.

by Anonymousreply 506April 21, 2024 1:07 AM

R503: Yes. As is "going-down" (to hell), although used less frequently. It's wonderfully & juvenilely hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 507April 21, 2024 1:25 AM

Oh thanks. Well congrats on the baby!

by Anonymousreply 508April 21, 2024 8:27 AM

This last episode was so fun! Plus I really felt bad for Hetty.

She mentioned she overdosed but then we come to find out how she really died.

The constant ridiculous positions and things they put in front of Rose’s character are funny.

by Anonymousreply 509April 21, 2024 3:43 PM

They rarely have any hotel guests. Why aren't they broke?

by Anonymousreply 510April 21, 2024 3:46 PM

Jay is my favorite character.

Utkarsh Ambudkar is very talented and does a lot of the heavy lifting in Ghosts.

What I mean is that he has to be the straight man for the hijinks engaged by the Ghosts, he has to not overplay how he's totally accepting that they're there, and he's pretty funny in his own right.

I'll predict how the series ends- either Jay or Samantha dies by a freak accident. They're a ghost. Then either the living Jay or Samantha meet someone they want to fall in love with, poignancy ensues, they remarry and whoever is the ghost gets sucked-off.

by Anonymousreply 511April 22, 2024 2:27 AM

I may be in the minority, but this season has been a let down.

by Anonymousreply 512April 26, 2024 8:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!