Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

GOUT

Ouch!

I've never had it before, but my big toe joint started hurting yesterday, and today it's swollen and I can't walk.

It's so fucking painful!

I can't see the doctor until tomorrow. Are there any home remedies to make it feel better, until I get to the doctor?

by Anonymousreply 96April 21, 2024 10:49 PM

Heroin

by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2021 1:16 AM

Cherries and cherry juice as a regular part of your diet will reduce flare-ups 35 to 40% but I doubt it would have any effect overnight.

by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2021 1:19 AM

Take Alleve or Advil until you get stronger NSAIDS from the doctor. It is another inflammatory problem, like so many medical conditions.... including that virus thing that's lately been in the news.

by Anonymousreply 3August 27, 2021 1:27 AM

Ew. Only fat people get gout.

by Anonymousreply 4August 27, 2021 1:34 AM

You eat too many organ meats.

by Anonymousreply 5August 27, 2021 1:35 AM

No, R5.

I drink too much.

I don't eat organ meats at all.

by Anonymousreply 6August 27, 2021 1:39 AM

OP - What your just listed is my friend's problem. He has gout and he's 71, overweight (not grossly) but huge gut, and......he drinks. He drinks beer mostly if not only just beer. I think he drinks pretty much every day. He once told he cut back on pepsi or coke and that seemed to help. He was probably drinking rum and coke / pepsi, I don't know.

I should add that his diet is kind of junky. His wife does all the cooking but they eat LOTS of meat, very salty diet (lots of fast food) even though she cooks most of the time. They do bacon and eggs every day I think. He is fairly sedentary. Oh...and he's on a list to get 2 knee transplants next year.

Not in the best of health.

by Anonymousreply 7August 27, 2021 1:49 AM

OP - Found something on one of the sources of gout: Beer.

6. Beer (Link below)

People with gout should avoid drinking beer. The breakdown of beer in the body causes a spike in uric acid levels. Beer also dehydrates the body and slows the elimination of uric acid. Most experts suggest people with gout skip alcohol wherever possible, but an occasional glass of wine is generally fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 27, 2021 1:55 AM

R7/R8 thanks.

I drink beer every day.

Lately, I've also been eating a lot of salty and fatty food. Not really on purpose, but it just happens.

R8 I love eggs and sausage, and eat it fairly often. I also LOVE diet coke. Maybe 3-4 cans a day.

I'm not sedentary, but I do have a poor diet.

I think you both have pinpointed my problem.

Not sure I can cut back, though I should at least try. Especially since this pain is awful. Even when I'm off the foot, it's still a throbbing pain in my toe joint. Arrrgh.

by Anonymousreply 9August 27, 2021 1:59 AM

OP - I am the same poster at r7 and r8. lol

by Anonymousreply 10August 27, 2021 2:00 AM

Ice for swelling.

by Anonymousreply 11August 27, 2021 2:01 AM

I had/have gout. My doctor said it was called "the rich man's disease", since only people who eat really "well" get it. In my case, lots of eating out and sweets, I guess. It's a build up of uric acid. I've been taking allopurinol for it for years now and haven't had a flare-up in all that time.

by Anonymousreply 12August 27, 2021 2:03 AM

Drink as much water as you comfortably can.

by Anonymousreply 13August 27, 2021 2:29 AM

My partner has it, and isn’t overweight. IPA beers are a real trigger for him. He now drinks Coors light most of the time. He is fine with meat. His Dr gave him medication that he only takes when he has a flare up (once a year or so). Marijuana edibles help with the pain. He took resveratrol before he saw the Dr, and that helped quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 14August 27, 2021 2:45 AM

Drink lots of water, it will help to dissolve the crystals.

by Anonymousreply 15August 27, 2021 2:47 AM

Soak your toe in milk.

by Anonymousreply 16August 27, 2021 2:56 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 27, 2021 3:29 AM

I remember reading something about aspirin aggrevating gout. something about crystals in your big toe.

by Anonymousreply 18August 27, 2021 3:36 AM

I empathize, OP. I had 2 severe attacks in the last year. I couldn't walk. It felt like sharp knives. Hope you get better. Cut out meat and alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 19August 27, 2021 3:56 AM

Gout is due to a dietary deficiency. Make sure you get enough vitamin C. The human body is unable to create this vitamin in its own.

by Anonymousreply 20August 27, 2021 12:37 PM

Don’t eat anything. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 21August 27, 2021 12:39 PM

Chacun a son gout.

by Anonymousreply 22August 27, 2021 12:57 PM

[quote] He is fine with meat.

I think we need to hear more.

by Anonymousreply 23August 27, 2021 12:58 PM

OP, you must be of royal blood. Gout is a King's ailment.

by Anonymousreply 24August 27, 2021 12:59 PM

I thought I had gout once... turned out it was a bone spur in my big toe... still very painful.

by Anonymousreply 25August 27, 2021 1:03 PM

Learn what purines are and which foods have a lot.

Me: I keep tart cherry juice in the fridge at all times.

by Anonymousreply 26August 27, 2021 1:03 PM

[quote] Chacun a son gout

Or, as the typist in Rumpole's office heard it: Jackie had some goo.

by Anonymousreply 27August 27, 2021 1:21 PM

R4 - incorrect. My mom got it and she was petite and slender as hell...which, of course, I didn't inherit. Awfully painful OP. Acupuncture helped my mom but you need a good acupuncturist. The one she had retired and the other guy that she went to during the second bout was about as useful as a colander to a DL-er boiling pasta.

by Anonymousreply 28August 27, 2021 1:27 PM

I have gout. It’s a myth that only fat people get it. It’s in the arthritis family so if you’re genetically disposed to arthritis you can get it.

Change of diet helps a lot. Bananas are good for helping to dissolve the crystals as well as the above mentioned tart cherry juice. I mix it in water.

Avoid alcohol, red meat, soda and sugar.

To help relieve pain soak your foot in warm water and epsom salt. This helps take the swelling down.

by Anonymousreply 29August 27, 2021 1:35 PM

Ibuprofen 800 mg three times daily or Aleve 500 mg twice daily for 5-7 days unless you have an active ulcer, poor kidney function, poorly controlled BP or heart disease. Works as well as other gout flare regimens.

Drink lots of water.

Cut out the crap food and drink.

by Anonymousreply 30August 27, 2021 1:42 PM

High uric acid and arthritis run in my family, so plenty of gout with an added side of stomach ulcers. I get gout at the base of my thumbs and I find massaging them helps a lot, especially if I catch it early. Skipping a couple of meals and drinking plenty of water and green tea can stop a flare up. If it starts getting chronic then it's back to the low purine diet,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 27, 2021 1:55 PM

Thanks for all your helpful advice in this thread.

It has definitely opened my eyes to my crap diet.

I used to be able to handle eating any way that I wanted, but it seems that as I get older, it's causing problems.

Beer really seems to be affecting me the most. Besides gout, I think it was also causing me problems with too much gluten. I was (and still do) break out in rashes whenever I have too much beer, and I think it has something to do with the gluten, which triggers these rashes.

As I mentioned, I drink beer or wine every day, so I'm probably going to have to cut back or cut it out completely.

I also love rich foods. Especially steak (with the crispy fat). In fact, I was going to cook a ribeye with shrimp scampi this weekend for dinner.

Butter and cream are also favorites. A place near where I work had a lobster bisque special on Tuesday, and I had two bowls of it!

Then I eat a ton of chips, and I made a fresh salsa last weekend that came out a little bit too salty, but I ate it any way.

I also don't drink very much water. Maybe one bottle a day, if that. The rest is either diet coke, coffee, and beer or wine.

Clearly as I type this, I'm starting to see that I have a horrible diet.

Surprisingly, I would say I'm only about 15-20 pounds over weight (six feet, one ninety), due mainly to the fact that I exercise regularly and don't over eat. It's just that what I DO eat, is crap.

Looks like it has all come to a head for me, and something has to change. But thanks again for the advice.

Now it looks like I'm

by Anonymousreply 32August 27, 2021 2:01 PM

R30 At that rate with the NSAIDS your kidneys are going to take a hellava hit, along with thinning all organ walls which can result in internal bleeding. Aleve has one more strike before being banned by the FDA.

OP: CBD is supposed to be a good anti-inflammatory, and doesn't compromise organ value. See if you can get a composite med like vicoprophen (7.5/200 ratio, this drug was designed for patients who should avoid high NSAID doses.

Fatty meats, fatty fish, sugar and booze are the most common culprits. But talk about the meds and diet with your dr.

by Anonymousreply 33August 27, 2021 2:01 PM

I would add to this discussion, mushrooms are also high in uric acid, strangely enough.

But see a doctor about your toe; my dad had to have his toe partially amputated due to gout (and no, he's not a fat fuck)

by Anonymousreply 34August 27, 2021 2:07 PM

I had a flare up last year that was painful. My doc gave me Indomethacin, a strong anti-inflammatory, that worked extremely well. You can’t take a lot of it, though. She only gave me 5 days worth, but what a difference it made. I have arthritis,but can’t normally use these types of drugs, but this one brought such sweet relief.

by Anonymousreply 35August 27, 2021 2:08 PM

^ Tumeric is also useful with gout related inflammation.

by Anonymousreply 36August 27, 2021 2:08 PM

How do you take the turmeric, R36?

Dissolve it in water?

by Anonymousreply 37August 27, 2021 2:10 PM

R37:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 27, 2021 2:15 PM

Tumeric is probably most effective when taken as a potent supplement (which will have the correct balance with Cucumin etc. Tumeric needed the cucucumin to be absorbed best by the body).

However, a daily drink of Tumeric tea only helps - empirical studies suggest a positive impact on all inflammation, including arthritis... as well as depression.

by Anonymousreply 39August 27, 2021 2:16 PM

Oops, R36 beat not-R36

by Anonymousreply 40August 27, 2021 2:18 PM

My husband has gout.

by Anonymousreply 41August 27, 2021 2:20 PM

I had it one time in three toes on my left foot. The tops of my toes hurt like hell for a few days and I couldn't figure out what triggered that. I love seafood, and I've read it could be a cause.

by Anonymousreply 42August 27, 2021 2:22 PM

Oh dear, OP, it’s actually referred to as “the Gout.”

by Anonymousreply 43August 27, 2021 2:23 PM

R32, please change your diet. It’s currently very dangerous

by Anonymousreply 44August 27, 2021 2:26 PM

Jesus Christ I've had it in both toes all week! All through that Hurricane. Got prescriptions and couldn't walk to CVS to pick them up- truly painful and tedious.

by Anonymousreply 45August 27, 2021 3:11 PM

OP - The low purine diet is not too difficult. Get your uric acid levels checked before you start and again in a couple of months. You might be surprised how quickly your UA levels drop.

by Anonymousreply 46August 27, 2021 3:59 PM

OP - Thanks for the detail at r32. You forgot to mention if you wipe front to back or......

by Anonymousreply 47August 27, 2021 6:16 PM

Orudis is great for gout. But it's not over the counter in the USA anymore. I believe you can get it over the counter in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 48August 28, 2021 3:01 PM

I order colchicine through Canada Drug.

by Anonymousreply 49August 28, 2021 3:04 PM

I don’t drink anymore and still got it. My dr. said red meat is the culprit but I eat like garbage anyway. A good excuse to shape up.

by Anonymousreply 50August 28, 2021 4:54 PM

I had gout in my right big toe about 15 years ago. I'd been talking about superfoods with a friend, noticed spinach was on the list, and ate it at nearly every meal for two weeks or so. And one morning I woke up and my big toe hurt so much, I couldn't even stand having a sheet on it.

Turns out spinach is quite purine-rich. My doctor prescribed indomethicin, I stopped eating the spinach, and I was better within the week IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 51August 28, 2021 5:13 PM

OP here.

I went to the doctor and got the online results of my blood test(s) back.

Can anyone help me interpret this?

Uric Acid Standard Range: 3.8-7.8 mg/dL. Your Value: 9.3 mg/dL.

I'm assuming it's high? Does this mean I have gout?

My doctor also had me take x-rays just in case I injured my toe, but they came back all normal.

Unsurprisingly, my cholesterol levels are high also.

CHOL Standard Range: 35-199 mg/dL. Your value: 286 mg/dL.

HDL Standard Range: >=35 mg/dL. Your value: 54 mg/dL.

CHOL/HDL Average Risk of Heart Disease: Females 4.4 Males 5.0 Your value: 5.3

Damn, I'm unhealthy.

by Anonymousreply 52August 28, 2021 7:20 PM

I also got this result, but I have no idea what it means.

ERYTHROCYTE SEDIMENTATION RATE (ESR)

Standard Range: 0-20 mm/hr

Your Value: 40 mm/hr

Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 53August 28, 2021 7:23 PM

You didn't discuss the results with your doctor?

by Anonymousreply 54August 28, 2021 7:31 PM

High uric acid means it's very probable you have gout. Elevated ESR means there's some inflammation in your blood (which is expected with gout).

by Anonymousreply 55August 28, 2021 7:36 PM

Not yet, R54.

My doctor is off on the weekends, but I can access the test results online.

We'll probably talk about it next week, but I was just curious.

by Anonymousreply 56August 28, 2021 8:27 PM

OMG some bad advice here. Avoid aspirin and ice and elevation, as this is a crystalization problem. Instead, max Advil dosage and soak the foot in hot water. Drinking a lot is good too. Avoid meat (esp cured meats) and chicken. (It's said beef is bad but chicken seems to cause more for me).

And in the future, when you feel that twinge in the ball of your toe, take the advil and it'll probably stave off a full attack. Haven't h ad one in years. (But the first time, I didn't know what it was and did all the wrong stuff, and wanted to cut my foot off.)

by Anonymousreply 57August 28, 2021 8:55 PM

[quote]Drinking a lot is good too

OP will interpret this as 'anything goes' and go out and buy a case of Coors Lights now, r57.

by Anonymousreply 58August 28, 2021 8:58 PM

Haha R58, in case it wasn't obvious: WATER

by Anonymousreply 59August 28, 2021 9:01 PM

OP needs A, B, C. type of information. Very detailed, r59.

by Anonymousreply 60August 28, 2021 9:03 PM

OP, once again drink, lots of water. With high uric acid, you're also prone to develop kidney stones, so hydrate! Get a prescription for Allopurinol.

by Anonymousreply 61August 28, 2021 9:24 PM

OP is a fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 62August 29, 2021 3:03 AM

Your uric acid level is too high. you want it below 5, ideally 4. your doctor will probably put you on this which is now generic too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 29, 2021 5:51 AM

I've been on both Uloric and Allopurinol. Both worked.

by Anonymousreply 64August 29, 2021 7:23 AM

I started getting gout when I was 12/13 and wasn’t drinking beer at all. I was a fat kid but I wasn’t THAT fat. Sometimes it’s just genetic.

by Anonymousreply 65August 29, 2021 7:28 AM

Stop drink soda (including diet soda) and alcohol, OP. If you need to tell yourself it's not forever then it's not forever and tell yourself that. Increase water intake. Keep a full glass or bottle of water next to you all day. Drink constantly. No need to overdo it or gulp it down, just a steady intake throughout the day, at least 1 liter.

If you're going to take a turmeric supplement get one with piperine included. If you're going to use turmeric powder to make a drink, grind black pepper into it just before drinking (black pepper contains piperine, which increases the absorption of the curcumin in the turmeric). As others have mentioned, get some cherry juice. Not sweetened and find a good brand (there are some shitty brands out there since cherry juice for gout - and sleep - became a thing)

by Anonymousreply 66August 29, 2021 7:39 AM

R57 Putting ice on it is standard care. It's painful because it's inflamed, and cold will help with that. I wouldn't recommend high doses of ibuprofen without advice from his doctor. Not everyone can take that and we don't know if OP has other health problems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 29, 2021 7:50 AM

[R4] Not all people who have gout are fat. I know two people who have gout. One is a long-distance cyclist and avid skier, and the other is a tiny woman who weighs about 100 pounds and is extremely active.

by Anonymousreply 68August 29, 2021 8:25 AM

Those otherwise "healthy" folks may be the exception I am inclined to think. As I mentioned, my neighbour is around 70 years old, married, she cooks for him but it's terrible out-of-the can stuff, plus their forays into fast food every other day, coffee, beer, rum, Lays potato chips, etc. They're both pretty much sedentary. He's getting 2 knee replacements soon. He doesn't take care of his teeth, waits for big flare-ups then he goes. It goes on.

by Anonymousreply 69August 29, 2021 1:25 PM

^^^ Forgot to mention, huge meat eaters (steak, burgers, etc). Bacon and eggs every day practically.

by Anonymousreply 70August 29, 2021 1:26 PM

How many pounds of organ meat do you eat each day?

by Anonymousreply 71August 31, 2021 7:40 AM

OP is a ghoul

by Anonymousreply 72August 31, 2021 7:42 AM

Why do you insist on stuffing your body with organ meats?

by Anonymousreply 73August 31, 2021 7:48 AM

[quote]You eat too many organ meats.

Not true, my other half got it at 55 and neither of us eat organ meats. It's too much rich food that can cause it. In my partners case looking back several days before he had a steak, bacon, shrimp, lobster rolls with butter, and finished it all off with beer. We had relatives in town for 3 days so we kind of broke our routine going out every night to dinner. He thinks the beer is what pushed it over the line. He was not a happy camper. It was his first time. I have been lucky so far.

by Anonymousreply 74August 31, 2021 8:13 AM

You deserve it, OP. Go fuck a sheep.

by Anonymousreply 75August 31, 2021 8:18 AM

[quote]Stop drink soda (including diet soda) and alcohol, OP

Diet soda or Diet Coke does not cause gout. It's the sugar in soda that is the culprit. Including fruit juices. Diet soda is basically carbonated water with food coloring, there is no link to gout.

by Anonymousreply 76August 31, 2021 8:18 AM

Your indulgence in rich organ meats is the cause.

by Anonymousreply 77August 31, 2021 12:59 PM

Isn't gout caused when the crystals in your urine become long chain molecules, and collect in the joints of your toes?

by Anonymousreply 78August 31, 2021 1:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 31, 2021 1:03 PM

Lol, R78, uric acid, not urine.

by Anonymousreply 80August 31, 2021 3:26 PM

You can always wait it out, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 31, 2021 3:34 PM

It’s seriously funny to read some of the “medical advice” on DL. Really? Beer? Add cherry juice to OP’s shitty diet?

Cut out the meat, alcohol, eat fruits and vegetables, get moving, and lose weight.

I know that NOBODY wants to hear this, because if people would use common sense we wouldn’t have a billion dollar weight loss industry that sells useless gimmicks.

by Anonymousreply 82August 31, 2021 3:37 PM

Can you have gout on the top middle section of your foot?

I woke up yesterday with it hurting just a little bit, and by evening it was full on pain. I could barely walk.

It's not swollen or anything. Just painful, but it feels like it's swollen.

by Anonymousreply 83December 11, 2022 7:32 PM

Gout can be genetic or due to diet. Kind of like Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes (bad comparison but you get the idea).

by Anonymousreply 84December 11, 2022 7:42 PM

OP--I found that a supplement, Uric Acid Support containing tart cherry has been a god-send. I get it from Amazon--they have lots of variations on the same thing. What works for me. is from a company called "Concerning Life" but I'm sure many of the others work as well.

What's been even better has been getting prescribed a medication which, for me, keeps gout away. Hopefully your doctor will prescribe something for you. The med I'm using is Allopurinol. I've had gout for five or six years, and in the last two, since starting on the drug, I've only had it once, when I skipped the med for a few days. (Used the sour cherry supplement to clear it up.)

Drink a lot of water.

by Anonymousreply 85December 11, 2022 7:42 PM

r83 - I've had gout on that part of the foot. Yes, it can be painful.

by Anonymousreply 86December 11, 2022 7:42 PM

Ugh, R86.

I was afraid of that.

I've had to stay off of my foot all day, and I don't know how I'm going to go in to work tomorrow.

I don't even know what to do about it.

R85's advice sounds good, but Amazon delivery will take a while, and I can't even drive to a pharmacist.

Damn, damn, damn!!

by Anonymousreply 87December 11, 2022 7:46 PM

As others have mentioned, get a prescription and take a regimen of Colchicine and eliminate alcohol until the gout goes away. In the future, limit your intake of alcohol, or the gout will return.

by Anonymousreply 88December 11, 2022 8:13 PM

R88 Gout isn't just alcohol. I mean, I drink a ton of wine and have never got gout. It's also meat, obesity, seafood and other high purine foods.

by Anonymousreply 89December 11, 2022 8:15 PM

The following foods are low in purines:

Eggs

Nuts and legumes

Any type of fruit

Whole grains

Vegetables (excluding asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, and green peas)

Low-fat dairy products

Poultry

by Anonymousreply 90December 11, 2022 8:18 PM

Have ANOTHER drink, WHORE !

by Anonymousreply 91December 11, 2022 8:29 PM

Pay attention and as soon as you feel that characteristic twinge, take anti-inflammatories for a bit (avoid Aspirin, I like ibuprofen). Most times, this will nip it in the bud. Once you're in a full blown attack, you often need something stronger, like indomethacin.

For me, stubbing my toe can lead to an attack, probably inflammation cascading. I don't drink at all and I'm not obese. Charcuterie is also bad and not something I enjoy enough to risk gout over. Hydration is important as well.

by Anonymousreply 92December 11, 2022 8:31 PM

R91 Nobody is saying that but if you reduce gout to just alcohol that's just not accurate.

by Anonymousreply 93December 11, 2022 8:31 PM

I got it in my right foot last week. It was excruciatingly painful. I couldn't even put on a shoe two days later.

I am not overweight. And I eat a very healthy diet.

I started drinking more water, nettle tea, cider vinegar, and tart cherry juice (not from concentrate). The cherry juice really helped me sleep.

I also haven't had any alcohol for over a week. I think that his the key.

Today, I can walk normally without any pain. I even went to the gym.

I really don't care if I ever have another glass of wine. I never want to feel that pain again.

by Anonymousreply 94December 11, 2022 10:59 PM

I woke up this morning with gout in my left foot.

It hurts!!

by Anonymousreply 95April 21, 2024 7:59 PM

I've been having this ache on the bottom-middle of my left foot. It comes and goes. Gout? My mom's gout is related to her blood cancer.

by Anonymousreply 96April 21, 2024 10:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!