Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Benjamin Hickey recounts how Madonna pissed off Natasha Richardson by braiding her hair throughout the Cabaret show

[bold] Video at the link. Here's the article [/bold]

Madonna once braided her hair while watching a performance of "Cabaret" -- and the late Natasha Richardson wasn't too thrilled about it, according to costar John Benjamin Hickey.

While appearing on "Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen" on Sunday, Hickey, 57, was asked by a viewer if he's ever been starstruck by a celebrity who was in the audience while he was performing on stage.

Responding to the fan, the "In Treatment" star shared "a version" of a time he was starstruck, recalling an interesting story of when Madonna came to watch "Cabaret" many years ago.

Back in 1998, Hickey starred in a revival of the musical alongside "the great Natasha Richardson" and Alan Cumming.

"One night in the audience, Madonna was there," Hickey explained. "And we were all so excited that she was there. And there were lights on the audience. Madonna proceeded to sit and braid her hair through the entire performance."

Although Hickey said he "didn't care one way or another," he said that it angered Richardson.

"Our leading lady, Natasha Richardson, came backstage with steam coming out of her ears. 'How dare she?,'" Hickey claimed, adding that Richardson was "absolutely right."

"If you're gonna come to the theater, don't sit and braid your hair," he said. "Have some manners, especially if you know all eyes are on you. So, I guess that was a version of being starstruck -- but not in the right way."

Richardson tragically passed away at the age of 45, after she suffered a head injury in a ski accident in 2009.

Meanwhile, when "WWHL" host Andy Cohen asked Hickey if he was "clocking" Madonna during the performance, he said he wasn't sure because he sometimes gets tunnel vision while on stage.

"Especially if someone famous is out there or somebody I respect a lot," he added.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 17, 2021 3:21 AM

start at 2:30 in the video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 14, 2021 10:46 PM

For what it’s worth, multiple posters on here say that John Benjamin Hickey is a flat out asshole and treats people less important than him like crap.

by Anonymousreply 2June 14, 2021 10:47 PM

Natasha should have swatted Madonna's hand the second she felt it on her head. I wouldn't want Madonna's hand touching my hair either. Why would she even think Natasha wanted her hair braided? What a ginormous ego.

by Anonymousreply 3June 14, 2021 10:59 PM

This reminds me of a story a flight attendant friend told me about Christie Brinkley on a flight. She popped out of her seat and started a protracted hair brushing session in the aisle with hair floating around the cabin. The FAs weren't sure what to do - there wasn't a no grooming rule - until an older couple motioned them over to complain. She complied.

No matter what or where a narcissist needs to demonstrate that they're the most important person in the room. It must be as gratifying and reinforcing as the first few drinks are to an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 4June 14, 2021 11:00 PM

R3 ok Ms Litella.

by Anonymousreply 5June 14, 2021 11:05 PM

R3 Madonna braided her own hair while sitting in the audience throughout the entire show

by Anonymousreply 6June 14, 2021 11:07 PM

I thought she was braiding Natasha's hair too. Madonna knows how to make it all about her, always and forever.

by Anonymousreply 7June 14, 2021 11:30 PM

How is it possible for an audience member - even Madonna - to braid a performer’s hair during the performance?

by Anonymousreply 8June 14, 2021 11:35 PM

I dont think R4's story should be overlooked. I can't stop laughing thinking about Christie Brinkley standing in an airplane aisle, slinging that hair around while brushing it. That's too funny.

by Anonymousreply 9June 14, 2021 11:50 PM

Waylon Flowers called. He wants Madame back.

by Anonymousreply 10June 14, 2021 11:55 PM

I actually think actors on stage demanding total fealty to the audience watching is the height of bourgeois entitlement. If someone wants to take a nap or examine their cuticles then so be it providing they’re not making loud noise.

by Anonymousreply 11June 14, 2021 11:59 PM

She was also seen texting during another play. She is so immature. She thinks she's being an edgy provocateur rebel but she's really just an obnoxious stuck up bitch.

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2021 12:08 AM

[quote] For what it’s worth, multiple posters on here say that John Benjamin Hickey is a flat out asshole and treats people less important than him like crap.

As opposed to Madonna, you mean?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2021 12:12 AM

Ah, so that's a Detroit accent! R13

by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2021 12:21 AM

[quote] She popped out of her seat and started a protracted hair brushing session in the aisle with hair floating around the cabin.

R4, I can't stop laughing..."hair floating around the cabin."

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2021 12:48 AM

R11 but how do you think Madonna would react if someone in the audience of her shows looked disinterested, was sleeping, texting or doing anything other giving 100% of their attention to her?

by Anonymousreply 16June 15, 2021 1:02 AM

R3 There is no such word as "ginormous." Are you in elementary school?

by Anonymousreply 17June 15, 2021 1:06 AM

R17 No, high school. I'm too old for you.

by Anonymousreply 18June 15, 2021 1:08 AM

[quote] R3 There is no such word as "ginormous."

R17 You should have kept your mouth shut, Bookmaven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 15, 2021 1:15 AM

I kind of love how everybody is turning on Madonna -- even the dead!!!

Hopefully Whitney sends a message from the grave. Drag her, Whitney!

by Anonymousreply 20June 15, 2021 1:19 AM

If only Patti had been playing Sally Bowles, the shit would have got real and Madge would have left the theater with a bleeding scalp.

by Anonymousreply 21June 15, 2021 1:20 AM

R4/9 - She really was slinging her hair around from the way my friend described it and she's not one given to exaggeration. She had 20+ years seniority so got to work 1st class and hadn't seen something so out there. Demanding, rude passengers, sure. The FAs felt bad for passengers in the vicinity but couldn't do anything until someone complained. This was mid-90s before in flight behavior became really outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2021 1:23 AM

I can totally picture that Christie Brinkley moment.

by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2021 1:24 AM

Natasha Richardson never could concentrate on the job at hand.

by Anonymousreply 24June 15, 2021 2:02 AM

I met JBH and don’t agree that he is disagreeable! He was friendly and welcoming.

by Anonymousreply 25June 15, 2021 7:37 AM

R2 At least John Benjamin Hickey got naked, even full-frontal at times on stage and screen, and was wonderfully moving in his Tony-winning performance in "The Normal Heart".

by Anonymousreply 26June 15, 2021 7:44 AM

Patti actually would have made a very good Sally Bowles!

by Anonymousreply 27June 15, 2021 7:46 AM

She wasn’t braiding her eyelashes and still watched the performance. Someone should have told Natasha that life’s too short to get upset over every little thing.

by Anonymousreply 28June 15, 2021 8:50 AM

Well, the part does call for a singer who isn't very good.

by Anonymousreply 29June 15, 2021 9:37 AM

Maybe Madonna self-soothes by braiding her own hair. That would be my first thought.

by Anonymousreply 30June 15, 2021 9:42 AM

Bitchy move. Madonna must have been deeply jealous of Natasha’s beauty, talent, and access to Liam Neeson cock.

by Anonymousreply 31June 15, 2021 9:46 AM

If Madonna was non binary and used they/them pronouns and the headline read "John Benjamin Hickey recounts how Madonna pissed off Natasha Richardson by braiding their hair throughout the Cabaret show" I'd think that Madonna was braiding Natasha's. John's/John Benjamin's and her own hair.

by Anonymousreply 32June 15, 2021 10:11 AM

Natasha Richardson gave one of the best performances I’ve ever seen in my life in Cabaret. She was absolutely mesmerizing and won every acting award that year.

Leave it to Madonna to be bored.

by Anonymousreply 33June 15, 2021 10:56 AM

Madonna is a white trash sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 34June 15, 2021 11:38 AM

[quote] Leave it to Madonna to be bored.

Leave it to Madonna to feign boredom as a cover for her seething jealousy of Natasha is more like it.

by Anonymousreply 35June 15, 2021 12:07 PM

[quote]Patti actually would have made a very good Sally Bowles!

No she wouldn’t. Sally needs an element of vulnerability, which Patti has none and was one of the reasons for the failure of “The Baker’s Wife” and “Oliver” two roles that rely on vulnerability.

by Anonymousreply 36June 15, 2021 12:13 PM

This is a fairly common tactic of celebrities. Attend a performance and be distracting. It is a version of "there is no such thing as bad press:" Even now, many years after the event, you are all talking about Madonna. It may be a manipulative move, but it worked.

by Anonymousreply 37June 15, 2021 12:17 PM

When Natasha Richardson left the Broadway Production of "CLOSER" , the producers scrambled to get a name actress to join the production, which was desperately in need of a marquee name to stay alive. Several name actresses were approached, but an appropriate match was proving very difficult to find and they were turned down by those that could have made it work.

Enter Madonna, entitled and with minimal to no acting ability but plenty of box office potential and at the very least, the ability to generate plenty of press for a show that was already limping along. Madonna had seen the play and wanted to do it.

The producers were sure she couldn't act it, but thought she could save the production from closing. Rupert Graves caught wind of this and reminded the producers he had casting approval in his contract. A meeting was arranged to appease Graves and get Madonna on board. Madonna was late for the meeting, unprepared and rude. She was shocked that Rupert Graves had any kind of say over what she could or couldn't do, and she acted like an ass to throw her weight around. When it became clear to her that Graves was unimpressed and not the least bit intimidated, she turned on the "charm" basically begging him to let her do the play.

Graves hated her and everything she was about and refused to sign off on Madonna. The play limped along and closed sooner that the producers wanted, but this was one time Madonna had no choice but to take no for an answer.

by Anonymousreply 38June 15, 2021 12:37 PM

Braiding hair. Pffffffft. Call me when she gets arrested. Lightweight!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 15, 2021 12:38 PM

Hickey is on a slippery slope.

Just like Natasha.

by Anonymousreply 40June 15, 2021 12:41 PM

R37 Yes, Madonna has clearly won.

by Anonymousreply 41June 15, 2021 1:16 PM

Natasha clearly hasn’t, R41

by Anonymousreply 42June 15, 2021 1:45 PM

Fucking theatre people--on stage and in the audienece--are THE worst.

by Anonymousreply 43June 15, 2021 2:07 PM

Self grooming in public is trashy. I once sat next to a Brit on a flight from London to NYC who plucked her eyebrows and nose hairs while talking non stop. I asked her to kindly keep her elbow out of my space and the bitch got offended. She was a hairy Paki, too.

by Anonymousreply 44June 15, 2021 2:33 PM

[quote] Graves hated her and everything she was about and refused to sign off on Madonna. The play limped along and closed sooner that the producers wanted, but this was one time Madonna had no choice but to take no for an answer.

Natasha Rchardson was replaced by Polly Draper - who fulfilled the last 3 months of the production before it closed.

by Anonymousreply 45June 15, 2021 2:38 PM

I remember seeing this photo when Natasha and Liam first got together and thinking to myself, WHEW!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 15, 2021 3:50 PM

[quote] Natasha Rchardson was replaced by Polly Draper - who fulfilled the last 3 months of the production

I am sure Draper was light years better than Madonna could ever hope to be. Draper, btw, had a few near misses with very important film roles early in her career ( before 30 something) I always liked her.

Madonna also wanted to play Mrs. Kendall in the Billy Crudup ELEPHANT MAN in the early 2000's. Rupert Graves was in that production LOL, wonder if he vetoed her casting in that case as well.

by Anonymousreply 47June 15, 2021 5:52 PM

Another thing to like Rupert Graves for, besides all his wonderful full-frontal nude film appearances!

by Anonymousreply 48June 15, 2021 6:03 PM

Wasn't Madonna approached to play Sally in this same production at some point? I swear I heard a rumor about that at some point. I know Toni Collette was supposed to replace Natasha but there was some problem with Equity. A shame, too, because she'd have been spectacular in the role. Jennifer Jason Leigh came in instead and was very good.

by Anonymousreply 49June 15, 2021 6:18 PM

Why does Equity give Toni Collette grief? She has an Academy award nomination for "The Sixth Sense" and played Muriel in "Muriel's Wedding". She's of international renown, even if her name isn't a household word. She was fantastic when she was allowed to be on Broadway in "The Wild Party", even stealing the show from Mandy Patinkin being a lunatic to her.

by Anonymousreply 50June 15, 2021 6:22 PM

And we’re off … the thread starts with John Benjamin Hickey and Madonna and we’ve now transitioned to Mandy Patinkin. Leave it to DL.

How soon before we get to Follies and ultimately Joan Fontaine?

by Anonymousreply 51June 15, 2021 7:30 PM

Nice to know Livvy's still with us!

by Anonymousreply 52June 15, 2021 7:46 PM

there was talk Madonna was approached about replacing Richardson.

Toni Collette was supposed to replace Jennifer Jason Leigh but Equity said no. This was before The Sixth Sense and the Oscar nomination.

Hickey is a chronic liar so take the story for what it is worth.

He was still bearding with women well into his thirties despite playing all these gay roles and everyone assuming he was gay.

Very nasty piece of work. True as said above. He's nice to the names, terrible to the little people. (I always thought he was bipolar. Rapid mood swings.)

by Anonymousreply 53June 15, 2021 8:00 PM

And she complained that Madonna stole all the attention from her? This is fucking Madonna

by Anonymousreply 54June 15, 2021 8:07 PM

Dame Frances Barber played the Natasha role in Closer in London. I'm not sure if she's ever done Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 55June 15, 2021 8:08 PM

[quote]Dame Frances Barber played the Natasha role in Closer in London. I'm not sure if she's ever done Broadway.

She’s done off-Broadway. I saw her a few years ago at the Lortel playing Lady Sneerwell in The School For Scandal. She was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 56June 15, 2021 8:18 PM

She braided her hair for 3 hours? Story sounds exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 57June 15, 2021 8:50 PM

R56 wins the Mary! of the week award.

by Anonymousreply 58June 15, 2021 9:02 PM

[quote] She braided her hair for 3 hours? Story sounds exaggerated.

Agreed. Natasha's hair wasn't that long.

by Anonymousreply 59June 15, 2021 9:07 PM

No Madonna supposedly was braiding her own hair. But how long could it have taken?

by Anonymousreply 60June 15, 2021 9:12 PM

OP's grammar error caused all this confusion. Hysterical to imagine Madonna braiding Natasha's hair against her will.

by Anonymousreply 61June 15, 2021 9:21 PM

[quote] Hysterical to imagine Madonna braiding Natasha's hair against her will.

Especially while singing “Maybe This Time”. Madge tried to harmonize and kept singing flat.

by Anonymousreply 62June 15, 2021 9:41 PM

there's only "confusion" if you posted without reading the article or watching the video clip

by Anonymousreply 63June 16, 2021 1:57 AM

[quote] there's only "confusion" if you posted without reading the article or watching the video clip

R63 But doesn't the thread title come before both of those? Does the thread title not have an element of responsibility to guide the reader in the right direction?

by Anonymousreply 64June 16, 2021 2:14 AM

The grammar error in the title is LITERAL violence.

by Anonymousreply 65June 16, 2021 3:31 AM

I feel violated and used as a pawn by OP.

by Anonymousreply 66June 16, 2021 3:34 AM

R44 Paki is basically the N-word. You should remember that the next time you're around a British person. It's pretty fucking trashy if you're talking to Americans too. Get it together.

by Anonymousreply 67June 16, 2021 3:36 AM

Girls, girls you're both racists. Ethnicity didn't need to be said in the first place, R44.

R67, you are more concerned with slang instead of an ethnic background wasn't even needed when describing the experience.

by Anonymousreply 68June 16, 2021 3:44 AM

I don't think hair braiding is something to get angry about. But Madonna would be the first to call someone out for similar behavior. So, fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 69June 16, 2021 3:46 AM

R68 the irrelevant ethnic background was bad but I wanted to keep my complaint focused on the word since it was the ugliest part of the story. It would be more accurate to call Paki a slur than slang. Faggot and chink are both slang but we think of them as slurs first and foremost since their point is to make people feel bad, like paki. Saying I'm more concerned with slang makes me sound like a shallow word cop which I am not.

by Anonymousreply 70June 16, 2021 4:25 AM

r57 She was braiding cornrows. And it's a very time consuming hair do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 16, 2021 4:25 AM

[quote]Madonna also wanted to play Mrs. Kendall in the Billy Crudup ELEPHANT MAN in the early 2000's.

Kate Burton played Mrs. Kendall and was duller than watching paint dry. She and Crudup had no chemistry and neither has any charisma at all. It was a dull, earnest production. I'm sure Madonna would have been awful.

by Anonymousreply 72June 16, 2021 4:47 AM

How was Patrica Clarkson/Bradley Cooper's version?

by Anonymousreply 73June 16, 2021 6:11 AM

I'm so upset that apparently I attended a party that Andy Cohen was at. I thought I had more class than that. I hope I dropped him like a hot potato once Natasha died.

(and did I even like Liam? That movie I made with him is one of my worst. I seem bored in it and I only got second billing.)

by Anonymousreply 74June 16, 2021 6:12 AM

Does Cohen describe his relationship with Hickey in his books? The first time he had Hickey on he kind of joked that they had dated and Hickey flaked on him. He seemed hurt. I wonder how they eventually became friends.

This would have been about the same time I knew Hickey. He was very duplicitous. Hooking up with guys (like Andy apparently thru 976 numbers) while still pursuing women. Cohen had Allison Janney and Hickey on and asked if Hickey had dumped her. She begrudgingly said well yes but that was "towards the end of that" meaning his dating women.

Strange how they all remained friends.

I went on 2 dates with Hickey. (no sex) He was ice cold and had trouble making eye contact at the start of the first one. Then he seemed to warm up to me and was so happy and relaxed at the end that we decided to meet again.

On the second one he was ice cold again. Mean, and annoyed and kept asking about how much money I had. Plus on one of the phone calls in between he talked with so fast and with a no affect. I described it to a therapist and he said it sounded like pressures speech to him. (Something bipoar and I guess other people get.) Anyway the therapist said he sounded like a sociopath looking to see how I could be of use to him. That scared me off a bit so the second date kind of was the end of it.

(Plus he got annoyed at the waiter for not cutting the crusts off his bread.)

by Anonymousreply 75June 16, 2021 6:39 AM

I braided my hair while watching Madonna trying to act in "Speed-the-Plow".

by Anonymousreply 76June 16, 2021 6:47 AM

Madonna is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 77June 16, 2021 6:52 AM

a dl classic thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 16, 2021 6:52 AM

Madonna may have been trying to cover her ears. Richardson was thought be some theater snobs to be great in Cabaret but YIKES! She was not a singer. (and the whole thing they tried to sell about she's not supposed to be a good singer since she's working in a seedy club didn't make sense. Then how come Alan Cumming, Denis O'Hare, and the whole rest of the cast could sing?)

by Anonymousreply 79June 16, 2021 6:54 AM

My dream would be for Madonna to go to a show starring Patti LuPone and start her usual disruptive shit in the audience and to have Patti go off on her like the Italian Fishwife she is.

Patti would snatch every hair off Madonna's head.

by Anonymousreply 80June 16, 2021 6:54 AM

^^by some theater snobs

by Anonymousreply 81June 16, 2021 6:54 AM

Why do people hate my mom so much?

Also, why was my mom ever famous? The bitch can’t sing. It’s weird she’s a famous “singer.”

by Anonymousreply 82June 16, 2021 7:15 AM

There was a bitchy ass guy reminded me of JBH at the Nordstrom rack this Saturday. I was like ‘smell you old man..’

by Anonymousreply 83June 16, 2021 7:30 AM

I always see a ton of obviously gay men shopping alone at Nordstrom Rack. It would be a good place to pick up dick.

by Anonymousreply 84June 16, 2021 8:04 AM

R84 You know, you’re right... I was just looking like shit that day and off my game. I’m gonna doll up next time I go in.

by Anonymousreply 85June 16, 2021 8:21 AM

R75 Pressured speech is when they can’t stop, and it has plenty of affect. I don’t believe you dated JBH anyway.

by Anonymousreply 86June 16, 2021 8:25 AM

[quote] Someone should have told Natasha that life’s too short to get upset over every little thing.

It’s a very British luvvie thing to be appalled by the ungrateful audience. Meanwhile I was at the National Theatre sitting behind Alan Rickman and Fiona Shaw talking and giggling together like they were in their living rooms. Once he realised at the interval he was pissing us off, he shot us an apologetic look and piped down, but she didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 87June 16, 2021 8:39 AM

R86 Going on two dates with a C list actor is totally within the realm of possibility. I don't have a dog in this fight but accusing someone of lying just because they tell an interesting story is tiresome. It's not like he claimed to have fisted George Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 88June 16, 2021 8:44 AM

Entertainment people can be the worst audience members. I sat behind David Marshall Grant at an off-Broadway show. He talked through Act 1. He left at intermission, then crept back 10 minutes into Act 2 because he left his scarf on his seat.

by Anonymousreply 89June 16, 2021 1:58 PM

R70 Racial slurs are perfectly acceptable on DL, it seems, just so long as they aren’t American racial slurs.

I called a couple of people for using the indigenous Australian equivalent of the N word in another thread recently as well as asking Muriel about the acceptability of hate speech and got no response. The posts still stand.

by Anonymousreply 90June 16, 2021 2:22 PM

Madonna probably thought she was perfect to play a gorgeous, wild, young British girl.

by Anonymousreply 91June 16, 2021 2:40 PM

Well r86 I was just relating his rapid talking second hand so the therapist could have misdiagnosed it. I think I just told the doctor that he spoke incredibly fast like he couldn't get the words out fast enough. I may have added the no affect part myself or misremembered it. It was just very rapid talking without seeming a need for it.

Fine don't believe I dated him. It wasn't particularly memorable. He wasn't even a C-List actor then. He was a temp worker who'd been in a few off-Broadway shows.

I'm not alone. Someone else posted in another thread that the met him on a 976 line and had a jack off session with him. That person said he was nice. I didn't see that side of him. (pun intended.)

by Anonymousreply 92June 16, 2021 9:50 PM

R4, is this similar to Christie Brinkley's hair performance in the airplane aisle? Please tell me this happened in Coach and not First Class.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 17, 2021 3:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!