Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Emma Watson is an awful actress

I kind of liked her being Hermione but I can’t stand her as an actress.

Awful in The Bling Ring, I slept in the cinema watching the Beauty and the Beast (first and only time that has happened to me) and obviously the worst at Little Women.

How is she so likeable? She makes good box offices. I understand that some mediocre actors are popular like Tom Cruise or Angelina, but Watson is getting like worse in every film she is in.

by Anonymousreply 38May 26, 2020 6:49 PM

Casting directors keep mistaking her for EMILY Watson.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 10:20 PM

I liked her in Bling Ring, but otherwise I agree.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 10:22 PM

Her American accent is terrible

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2020 10:23 PM

She'll never live down the role of Hermione.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2020 10:27 PM

The Beauty and the Beast was the only one of the "live action" Disney remakes I saw, and it will be the last. It was awful, and she was awful in it. I'll stick with the original.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2020 10:30 PM

A textbook bad actress. Kind of a beauty tho ,very sell-able.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 12:53 AM

[Quote] Awful in The Bling Ring,

That's what made her so hilarious. Well that and the bad American accent.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 8:34 AM

It's interesting how some child actors were fine actors as children but are atrocious as adults. Is it because awkwardness and insecurity can settle in during puberty?

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 8:37 AM

She isn’t cute and she can’t act. I assume she must give a mean blowjob.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 8:41 AM

She's got such a big forehead; she'll look like Angela Lansbury in 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 8:49 AM

I think she has name appeal for people who remember her role on HP, so she gets cast on that alone. I didn't see the new LW, but I remember some passive aggressive DM article about Emma did very little press for movie and that she wasn't happy with how much of her role didn't make the final cut. So I guess directors like the name recognition - her acting, not so much...

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 9:19 AM

Yes she is.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2020 12:11 PM

[quote]So I guess directors like the name recognition - her acting, not so much...

She was a last minute replacement for Emma Stone, so she was t exactly anyone’s first choice.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 12:15 PM

She’s no me.

Perhaps a lesbian role for her would help matters?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2020 12:36 PM

She was pretty bad in the Harry Potter movies. Very stiff.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 1:11 PM

Awful actress. I couldn't get past that she was cast as Belle in Beauty and the Beast. She's no great beauty. But I like her work outside her acting.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2020 1:19 PM

Who is still giving her roles? She can’t act for shit. She’s not that pretty too.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2020 1:24 PM

R16 How many hours does she spend doing that "work" that you like?

Does she do anything with that $80 million she's sitting on?

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2020 1:39 PM

Do kids who grow up on franchises like HP get acting coaching along with conventional education tutoring? Watson went to college when the movies finished. Her fortune now could buy her access to the best professional training. Any sign this lucky woman has invested time and money in the craft?

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2020 1:47 PM

R19 I don’t know what Daniel Radcliff’s training was, but he was very good in those films.

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2020 3:38 PM

She was a bad actress in Harry Potter, she hasn't improved in my opinion. But she seems level headed and intelligent and well educated so I'm torn on my dislike for her

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2020 5:21 PM

There’s this YouTuber (link below) who until quite recently had a concerning obsession with Hermione and with Emma, going so far as to copy the latter’s speaking style, and name her channel/gimmick after the former. She created an entire lifestyle around ‘What Would Hermione Do?’. If it’s parody or at all self-aware then it’s fucking genius; if it’s in earnest then she’s totally bonkers. Either way, entertaining. These HP superfans are something else. I even sort of like the girl, though I desperately want to shake her by the shoulders and tell her to get angry and get a Mohawk and start listening to Pantera, or something.

Long ago I too was a bookish Millennial girl and yet I never understood the attraction of Hermione. Why would you want to closely follow or stan a character that’s just like you, in the sad boring real world? If a young woman were to obsess over any of the females in the ‘Harry Potter’ world I would have assumed it would be Fleur (the glam seductive French wench who tries to beat Harry in that tournament), Ginny (the tough but beautiful tomboy who bags the hero in the end), Bellatrix (batshit gothic Queen who does whatever she wants) or even Luna (that Manic Pixie girl who can see ghosts and shit) would be the obvious choices. Hermione was just so dull and sententious, plus didn’t really ever do much interesting but sidekick for Harry or pore over books. I liked Pansy best, the bitchy sourfaced midget who used to hang out with Draco and catcall people - she seemed fun and very Datalounge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2020 8:35 PM

Agree, she's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2020 8:41 PM

I liked her okay in “The Perks Of Being A Wallflower.“

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2020 9:04 PM

Isn’t she just paid to wear expensive lipstick on magazine covers, get trendy haircuts, and titter poshly and politely when asked personal questions in tedious interviews?

Oh, and something or other about being an Ambassador of sorts. But that’s not exactly a job, per se, is it...

I wonder if she’d actually get into RADA? Or RSC? She might manage a semi-competent turn as Imogen (CYMBELINE), I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2020 9:12 PM

Her American accent isn't good, but I did enjoy her in BLING RING and WALLFLOWER, both of which were roles that didn't tax her meager abilities.

I liked her Hermoine in the first two POTTER films as she was natural and engaging, but as she aged she became much more self-conscious in her acting. I recall reading that while doing the POTTER series she decided not to pursue acting as a career, but she obviously changed her mind. Too bad. I'm sure she's gotten some good money over the last several years, but there's no way that will continue much longer.

She was passable as Meg in LITTLE WOMEN, but nowhere near as good as Trini Alvarado was in the superior 1994 version.

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2020 9:34 PM

Isn't she like some proto-feminist now too?

by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2020 9:48 PM

She’s only popular because of the millennial obsession with Harry fucking Potter, the most overhyped string of children’s movies ever.

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2020 10:02 PM

R28: The most overhyped string of books too.

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2020 10:07 PM

She could have lengthened her career and been the thing she was capable of being - the Julia Roberts of her generation, with a limited range and a charming persona - for a few years.

But she's picked odd films and most of the interest in her has completely evaporated.

The rumors about her being a total nightmare on set probably haven't helped.

by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2020 10:08 PM

[quote] Why would you want to closely follow or stan a character that’s just like you, in the sad boring real world?

I want to be the one that was a nerd in the HP movies but then turned out to be blazing hot all grown up!

by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2020 10:10 PM

I've enjoyed her in everything I've seen her in except Little Women. She was hilarious in The Bling Ring.

by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2020 10:16 PM

She might come into her own way, way, way later in her career. Like late 50s, early 60s. She needs to grow into her face, and get some mileage under her belt. Right now there is just no there, there.

by Anonymousreply 33May 25, 2020 10:31 PM

Agree with the poster upthread who said she was good in the first two HP movies. Great when really young but then she became over the top and shrill. She ruined every scene she was in from the third movie onwards

by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2020 2:23 AM

My only theory as to how she still gets acting jobs is the worldwide following from Harry Potter.

by Anonymousreply 35May 26, 2020 3:14 AM

Emma was fine in Perks but Ezra stole the show in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 36May 26, 2020 3:46 AM

Hadn’t we collectively decided that ‘Emma’ was a typical name for a Frau? I don’t remember in which thread exactly.

by Anonymousreply 37May 26, 2020 6:29 PM

Nah. Names don't get much more neutral than 'Emma.' It's classic, nobody ever needs to spell it, and the person bearing the name could be 5 or 95. It also works all over the world. I don't particularly care for it, but it's kind of an all-purpose name.

by Anonymousreply 38May 26, 2020 6:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!