- Given that over 50% of Americans are now classified as "morbidly obese", I don''t think anyone wants to see more of them in a speedo...\
Better they should be as covered up as possible.
Dr. Sanjay Gupta, almost US Surgeon General
- Well it''s not just body issues; it''s bulge iissues. You don''t always want to show off your bulge or lack thereof. Some people are jut more shy, modest, etc.
- So true! Ever since gay men have been associated with tight fitting clothing, short shorts, and speedos, straight culture has shunned that type of clothing. Back in the60s and 70s before gays were really out there, men wore tight and fitted clothing. Thankfully this has not caught on in the rest of western culture.
- They also don''t take showers in school or prance naked in the locker-room now that they know they can''t necessarily spot the gays. Strange.
- This is the way to look when you're at the beach.
- Honey, if I had that body I'd wear tiger-striped hammock thongs too.
- americans are all dumb brain-washed sows when it comes to body-issues.
- It's true that when I was growing up men wore much less than they do now. Not only were bathing suits smaller, but shorts often were smaller and tighter (for younger men).
- Speedos should be illegal. The only guys who wear them in the U.S. are creepy exhibitionists are prancing effeminates. As one chick said, guys who wear speedos should just complete the picture and wear bikini tops because they are already wear bikini bottoms. Dudes look best wearing masculine, boxy/square cut trunks or board shorts, not a feminine bikini cut.
- As they say about nude beaches, it's always the people whose bodies you don't want to see who seem most intent on showing them off.
- OP? That article about swimsuits had far too many words and far too few pictures. You're an idiot.
- Speedos make my mouth water.
- It's the same in Europe, the covering up... It's not just the USA.
In France and Italy in the 70s they wore demi speedos with butt cleavage. Now they usually wear those dreadful long things like in America.
I posted a link here once, to a guy in Italy wearing those tiny speedos and the girl who had 'innocently' posted it with other pics of friends and family from the '70s, took it down, obviously alarmed to find it had been viewed over 1500 times and linked to a gay forum. lol.
(most of her other stuff had 10 views at most)
- & Rod Stewart took it to the extreme...
- Ahh, remember all the calendars and photo books in the early 80s with men in Speedos? The cover of the "exercise" book Working Out by Charles Hix...
- R9 is so ridiculous.
- I'm American and a lot of my guys my age prefer trunks and board shorts, not because they have body shame, but because it looks masculine. Speedos and short shorts and tight pants are perceived as feminine and gay.
- From the article:
[quote]"American men have an aversion to displaying their bodies in public," one German visitor blogged. [bold]"Ever since gay men came out of the closet in the '80s and showed us who they were, straight American men went into the closet to show us what they weren't..."[/bold]
- Why would guys want to wear something that resembles a female bikini? It's the same reason guys ridicule briefs as tighty whities. Manties are not manly.
- This is so sad r9
I am thinking you are mixing Victorian morality up with masculity.
Guys now look like we are trying to win some Edwardian swimsuit contest so sad.
Guys in speedos made me gay!!
- R19 Why? Because it shows off the goods! DON'T ASK QUESTIONS!!
- r20, guys like to show off their upper bods. That is why they wear Under Armour shirts, tank tops, and sleeveless shirts.Dudes like to show off their upper body strength and musculature. It's what society views as the visible physical signs of masculinity in public. So, dudes are showing off their bods, just the upper bod. That's why so many guys only work out their upper bods, it's THE physical sign of masculinity in our society. Guys who show off their lower bodies are viewed as creepy, weird, or perverted.
- [quote]I'm American and a lot of my guys my age prefer trunks and board shorts, not because they have body shame, but because it looks masculine.
No, it doesn't look "masculine." Those board shorts look silly, just as silly as if they were wearing a thong. Neither is "masculine."
Guys wear board shorts because they're afraid they'll be accused of being gay if they wear something that's cut above their knees. It's peer pressure that makes them wear silly looking "shorts" and they're not man enough to wear something that looks good. It's a continuation of body shame from their younger days and they can't overcome or outgrow it.
- I wish basketball players didn't wear long shorts, they've almost become long pants. i like to see the athletes body, which includes legs.
- Give it up, R23. Your "body shame" narrative isn't convincing any hot guys to bare themselves so you can feast your pervy eyes on them.
- [quote] Your "body shame" narrative isn't convincing any hot guys to bare themselves so you can feast your pervy eyes on them.
Since when is it pervy to enjoy seeing the naked body? Perviness is in the eye of the beholder. I can appreciate a woman's body for the beauty if its form. There is nothing pervy in it. I can also enjoy admiring a great body on a man without being pervy about it. Is everybody who admires Michelangelo's 'David' being pervy?
Your body shame forces you to think that looking at the naked body is being perverted.
- r23, you make it sound like they would be inclined to wear short shorts if society didn't frown upon it. trust me, we grew up wearing basketball shorts, and that's what we like, who we are. hip hop styles predominate, and short shorts are not a part of it. you probably grew up pre-hip hop when short shorts were liked and ok. we never had any fondness for that type of style, and don't want to. we like our generation's style. stop trying to force the 1960s on our generation.
- [quote]stop trying to force the 1960s on our generation.
Force? Who's forcing you to change? If you want to look like you're some dork wearing culottes, just do it!!!!
- 1. The old G0Y Manifesto troll is also the anti-effeminate troll. That took me a while.
2. They took my lead on tweed. More and more are heeding my call for 5" inseam shorts. They'll all wear square cut trunks within three years. Be patient.
3. OP is a shitty shitty queer for not posting visual aids in support of his premise.
- R21, perhaps I should've added, "they prefer to wear trunks and boarder shorts because THEY THINK it looks masculine." That's what the straight guys I know say. They associate short shorts with Daisy Dukes and thus feminine or gay. You may think they look like dorks, but they don't. Face it, your look is passe. You sound like those oldsters in the late '60s bemoaning the young men with long hair.
- R30 probably has a mullet hair cut to go with the culottes.
- I still can't get out of my head a guy I saw in orange lycra speedos at a gay swim meet 20 years ago. Pony tail, phenomenal body, and the most eye-popping packed in lunch, which had everyone buzzing. Pure magic.
The thing about Speedos reflects America's childish Puritan hangups with the male body. But the pendulum will swing again. In another 20 years or so I suspect cocks will again be outlined in trousers like they were in the 70s.
- [quote] In another 20 years or so I suspect cocks will again be outlined in trousers like they were in the 70s.
Doubt it. But even if it does, you'll be dead or in the retirement castle by then, elderqueen.
- R19, I wear briefs because they are better. who gives a fuck what others think
- [quote]Guys who show off their lower bodies are viewed as creepy, weird, or perverted.
which is idiocy
- [quote]I'm American and a lot of my guys my age prefer trunks and board shorts, not because they have body shame, but because it looks masculine.
it looks like a skirt to me so it comes across as girlish and silly to me
- [quote]hip hop styles predominate, and short shorts are not a part of it.
The pendulum has already swung past you, new eldergay, THAT "hip hop style" of yours is [italic]tired[/italic].
Kids are wearing stovepipe pants again and pointy shoes like back in...ah, guess what?
- R35 gay kids perhaps, but not straight ones.
- None of the hip hop guys have any problem letting their pants hang low exposing an ass crack that practically eats their tight underwear up.
- [quote]straight American men went into the closet to show us what they weren't. Before the late '80s men wore shorter shorts and swimwear was short and fitted. Men used to be so free and liberated then. Now they are scared.'
There are NO young men in any country in the world wearing skimpy bathing suits on the beach with the possible exception of Brazil and even there at least half the men on the beach have several yards of material in their bathing suits. Pretending this is only happening in the U.S. is total bullshit. Show me a current pic of any beach in the world (non-nude) where the majority of the men are NOT wearing down-to-the-knee bathing suits....
- I love men in Speedos and loved all those 80s spring break type comedies where even the most masculine men would be in a Speedo.
Times have changed.
- With a nice square-cut, you don't have to worry about inner thigh hair.
Sometimes speedos make you look like you have Will Ferrel in a scissor-hold.
- thank you, r40, from what I have experienced and heard while traveling in Europe and Latin Americans, young guys there don't wear speedos today either. They have adopted the American trunks as the predominate swimwear.
- r37, perhaps that's the style in VERY WHITESVILLE USA, but I live in a much more urban and colorful environment, and hip hop still rules here!
- r40 needs to visit Australia.
- [quote]Ever since gay men came out of the closet in the '80s and showed us who they were, straight American men went into the closet to show us what they weren't.
It has a lot to do with the women. If they didnt think speedos were the garb of gay men, they would buy them for their men. And the men would wear them. Women buy most of straight men's clothing. The funny thing is, most women probably really like how speedos look, but they just dont want everyone to think their guy is gay.
- No doubt a lot of it has to do with fad and trend- but clearly, as is so blatantly obvious on this thread- gender insecurity, misogenism and homophobia have a lot to do with it too.. Gotta feel sorry for a lot of posters on this thread like R9.
- Dudes are wearing this in Brasil today.
- R40, that is true. Thanks to everyone wanting to mimic American styles, the world has become homogenized.
- "who gives a fuck what others think"
THAT, you scaredy-cat hip-hop kids, is how a man thinks.
- R45, YOU need to visit Australia. The beach I went to recently had virtually no speedos on any guy under 50. Even the lifesavers were wearing long shorts, not speedos. Very disappointing. Why does everyone in the world hate the U.S. (allegedly) and yet they all want to be us????
- Odd, if no one is wearing them, that stores would still stock Speedos.
- My boyfriend wears bikini underwear, but only the bottoms.
- r46, Ill take two of him please...
- "Masculine" guys have no problem exposing their chests and abs, but not their legs? Considering how low slung some of the "boring" shorts and jeans are these days, showing lower abs and the "v". Let's see some thigh and bulge, dudes.
I guess in some cases it would be from homophobia but it seems really arbitrary to me, like most fashion.
That said, if you don't have the body for it, for God's sake, don't wear a speedo.
- Nicholas Clay had the body for a Speedo.
- I certainly don't think speedos are for everyone, but I also don't think a person should be looked down upon for wearing one. It's no one's business at all! Look at all the fat, fugly chicks who waddle around in way too small a bathing suit... We may not love that, but we just roll our eyes and look away. It doesn't become a media story. People were generally healthier in the '70s and the body types of young people tended towards the lean. Hart Bochner and his blonde friend in Breaking Away personify what I'm talking about; the trim, healthy, attractive young man in a speedo as a matter of course. No steroids, six-pack abs, fake tan, waxing, etc... just a guy in a small suit.
As far as lifeguards go, board shorts actually prevent them from swimming as fast as they should be in order to save a life!
- One of the HDmovie channels is playing Private Resort (1985) with Rob Morrow and Johnny Depp. They both wear more coverage in their suits, but many of the extras, of all shapes and sizes, are in speedos. It was neat! Of course, both leads also have extended bare ass scenes to make up for some of the lack of frontal exposure.
- Rob Morrow had such a great body in that movie.
- Do they even sell speedos in most American clothing stores? The only place I see them are in Sporting Goods stores like Sports Authority.
- [quote] In another 20 years or so I suspect cocks will again be outlined in trousers like they were in the 70s.
When you say it's gonna happen now... when exactly do you mean? See, I've already waited too long, and all my hope is gone.
- [quote]Do they even sell speedos in most American clothing stores?
Not outside of L.A. and NYC, no.
- I've seen men's Speedos in clothing stores in San Diego, Fort Lauderdale, the Hamptons, Cape May, and Savannah.
- The stigma against speedos is so strong that only very daring effeminate guys will wear it in America. Older men just don't care. It's becoming that way in Europe too.
- I love the guy in the Speedo in the Carls Jr Turkeyburger ad. Yum.
- Sarah Powell @sare_bear101
Foreigners in speedos #notagoodlook
- no self-respecting guy should wear board-shorts, thread closed.
- r68, if you want respect, you don't wear speedos.
- Any self-respecting guy should wear whatever they want.
- Yay R70! Too much sheep mentality in the world.
- [quote]Sometimes speedos make you look like you have Will Ferrel in a scissor-hold.
LOLZ! Worth the price of admission today, thanks!
- Think beach and most guys like to think bikinis, but what’s more important is the choice of male beachwear as you enjoy the sun, sand and surf this summer.
From board shorts, jammers, trunks, speedos to mankinis, there’s an ever increasing variety of men’s swimwear. So how do you find the perfect suit for you to chill out in?
You can begin by striking thongs, G-strings or mankinis off the list (unless you’re Borat!). Fashion designer Amanda Bachalli advises, “Make your choice based on what you’re going to be doing at the beach. Are you going swimming, playing a sport or just lounging around?” While jammers and briefs are suitable for serious swimming, board shorts are best for surfing and trunks are the most versatile.
Model Acquin Pais tells us, “I usually prefer swim trunks but if I’m going surfing, then the longer board shorts are more comfortable.” Though he’s always in shape for the beach, the model admits, “I wouldn’t wear a pair of speedos. I think celebs like Daniel Craig and John Abraham look great in them but they’re not for everyone.”
Acquin adds, “In India especially, guys tend to focus on the upper body while working out so they end up with skinny legs. To carry off speedos you need to not only be fit, but also have a strong pair of legs. Otherwise you’ll just look like Johnny Bravo!”
Event organiser Zubair AH agrees, saying, “If I had that kind of body, then I’d show it off in a pair of speedos too.” Seeing as most guys aren’t 007 material, however, he adds, “I think swim trunks are the best choice. They’re quite a bit roomier, they’re comfortable and they suit most guys.”
Amanda adds, “What guys need to do is stop playing safe and experiment more with bright colours and patterns. Even if they’re wearing plain trunks, they can have colourful trimmings to brighten it up.”
Student Pradeep Rao sums it up saying, “The beach is where you go to see and be seen. So get in shape, go shopping and don’t forget your sunscr
- Spring Break 2012 - Knees! Knees! Knees!
Male college students are wearing shorts that are at or above the knee. The old calf-length board shorts seem limited to junior high and some high school students.
I saw Speedo-clad students at two beachfront hotel pools. They were competing in some swim events. No college males in Speedos on the beach but a few were wearing square cuts.
- You can begin by striking thongs, G-strings or mankinis off the list (unless you’re Borat!). Fashion designer Amanda Bachalli advises, “Make your choice based on what you’re going to be doing at the beach. Are you going swimming, playing a sport or just lounging around?” While jammers and briefs are suitable for serious swimming, board shorts are best for surfing and trunks are the most versatile.
Model Acquin Pais tells us, “I usually prefer swim trunks but if I’m going surfing, then the longer board shorts are more comfortable.” Though he’s always in shape for the beach, the model admits, “I wouldn’t wear a pair of speedos. I think celebs like Daniel Craig and John Abraham look great in them but they’re not for everyone.”
- I wear just a regular swim trunk to the pool, but when I'm lying in the lounge chair, I hike up the sides for a more full coverage tan. I can't believe my eyes when I see young guys laying out in LONG board shorts and they actually keep tugging the legs DOWN if they happen to ride up above the knee. Why would you want tan lines that begin at the knee?? (I know someone will say, "Why would you want tan lines at all?!" I mean this for people who like to be in the sun...)
- It's no different than women wearing a string bikini or a thong- you have to have the body for it or you'll get harpooned.
- I noticed that someone who had a Speedo blog was made to list it as "adult content." That's really pathetic.
- This is what is known as a "low rise" Speedo.
- Speedo Blog is adult content. Not appropriate for children.
- I hate speedos.
- [quote]I hate speedos.
Most people who are 140 lbs. overweight hate speedos, r82. In-shape people like speedos and wish they could wear them without scorn from ugly fat people.
- r83, you want to poll most dudes in mainstream America who are fit? You can ask the guys at my gym, at the basketball court, on college football/basketball/lacrosse/soccer teams? I know a lot of very fit young college and military guys (my peers), and none of them wear speedos. In fact, they ridicule them in the sharpest terms. I don't think you know modern American fit males very well.
- I vacation all over Europe and almost every male wears speedos. Any age, any body, any package. No issue at all. If they hide something, they wear a t-shirt to the speedos to hide the beer belly. The longer shorts are a fashion item for the younger guys, but not because of prudish thoughts to hide the bulge. It's hip cause it's American. Utter nonsense, I know.
- But the younger dudes are the cool/hot ones. Why would anyone emulate the uncool dudes with busted bodies?
- [quote]I know a lot of very fit young college and military guys (my peers), and none of them wear speedos. In fact, they ridicule them in the sharpest terms. I don't think you know modern American fit males very well.
Of course they ridicule them. That's what they're EXPECTED to do so they just fall in line. The same guys, in a private backyard pool, will be wearing a speedo. You obviously don't know the lemming mindset of modern American fit males.
- "In fact, they ridicule them in the sharpest terms."
When you're not around, I'm sure they're ridiculing your ass, so your point is.....?
- speedos are not cool, dude
- R86 So, I hide my body, because someone looking less fit wears the same swimwear? Nope. Sorry, but Speedos are unpopular in America, because you all have body issues (proven by the growth of this insane plastic surgery industry during the last years). Europe is far more liberal und less uptight in these matters. And I do hope it stays this way.
- Board shorts are getting shorter - about three inches above the knee is the latest length on the surfers and in the surf shops. Living in a beach town, I get to see the changing styles so it's nice to see shorter shorts again.
- I don't like short shorts on guys. It looks weird and girly. They are only getting short amongst a certain, uh, type of guys, not the large majority.
- R92= Eff. Troll who realises the Webby is on to him. Just say it, bitch.
Short shorts on guys who aren't fat says to me they have the confidence not to give a fuck about what advertising/'society' tells them. A recent Fosters beer advert scoots around the issue of whether it's okay for a straight guy to allow his friend rub sunblock onto his back and the 'experts' on the other end say "It's fine but lose the 'budgie smugglers'" i.e. a very clear but coded homophobic message designed to appeal to Neanderthal straight men.
How they got away with that I have no idea. The REAL man wouldn't give a fuck if people saw two buds helping each other out and assumed they were a gay couple.
God I fucking hate advertising.
The fact is, if you're lean and have at least a modicum of definition and are also relatively young looking, break out the trunks or Speedos, because you'll probably look good in them. Board shorts are conservative immature fratboy bullshit, unless you're actually surfing.
- Thank you for being the voice of reason, AYB. I'm in love with you more now than ever, LOL.
And R92, the "large majority" of guys of which you speak are out of shape and ugly and look ridiculous in just about anything, so I guess you're throwing yourelf in that max as well, right?
- What r90 said. Most young straight guys in America are way more body conscious now than anyone would like to admit. They like to be covered even in locker rooms.
And you just aren't going to expose that much of your body if you dont like how it looks in the first place. Women have always been like that, and now the men are the same way. Add that to the current clothing style you'll find no one in speedos.
By the time most young guys get over their body consciousness, they are older and not in shape. And most American guys get fat after 25 anyway.
For you, r92:
- What do they wear in the DOminican Republic?
- "By the time most young guys get over their body consciousness, they are older and not in shape. "
That's called being so hopeless you have no pride in your appearance.
- There is this one dude at the gym who wears speedos. He is the same guy that wear tights to lift weights while people roll their eyes at him. People look nervous when he is wearing speedos and avoid him. He is one bold dude.
- pools open in three weeks. how many dudes will wear speedos at your pool?
- my pool opens this weekend
- Speedos were Australian. Google Aussie Rules football. You'll see that even their footballers shorts are cut high. None of that baggy daggy puritan shit.
- The mostly young gays who say that speedos look like female bikini bottoms are so conditioned by the straight mass media that they can't clearly think for themselves even as gay folk. They don't read Maxime but damn Carmen Electra should wear those speedos.
Speedos came into fashion during the unisex craze that started in the 60s up to the mid 1980s. Men and women wearing almost the same thing, gender free clothing, hair styles etc. Sci-fi shows almost always showed the future as being advanced and unisex which was a trending thought back then. Only after decades of conservative culture has the unisex trend disappeared. All men wear blue. All women wear pink. It's an ugly world out there and ain't because of speedos.
- Gee, straight men are insecure lemmings.
What a shock!
- Looking at the surfers this weekend, it's evident that board shorts cut above the knee are in style.
- No body shame here.
- Thong or Speedo?
Which do you prefer?
- Small package
- Speedo couple
- I watched a nice fit-fat guy jogging in a wet speedo in Miami this week. I was transfixed on his ass and thighs bouncing up and down, some people just look better in speedos than others
- In the ocean
- I like the boxer style swimtrunks but I always cut out the inner thing so my big junk can just swing free when I get out of a pool with a semi hard on....the boys just drool...
- Is that the same couple we see in r109, r111?
- Haven't seen any dudes wearing speedos at pool yet. All board shorts and trunks with young dudes.
- "Speedos came into fashion during the unisex craze that started in the 60s up to the mid 1980s."
Hmmm, never heard that. I like the distinctions between the sexes including clothing personally.
- They look better when you have a nice ass to fill them up
- wow r9, you have some serious issues to overcome...sad
- r17...wow just wow
- Americans, if you see a dude with a speedo on, snap a pic and let us evaluate the situation.
- If it's good enough for Russell...
- Perfect swimwear
- Nice and tight!
- The fucking word is "predominant", not "predominate", you fucking imbecile retards. I am SO FUCKING SICK of seeing this everywhere!!! What the fuck is WRONG with people??
- What's wrong is that they wear their speedos far too tightly
- [quote]Board shorts are conservative immature fratboy bullshit, unless you're actually surfing.
I'm so fucking tired of seeing clones with board shorts hanging below the knees. A muscular thigh is a beautiful thing. Sure beats seeing shaved pube stubble.
- Nobody wants to see flabby morbidly obese americans showing your hanging love-handles.
- IMHO...seems like his bulge was diminished from too much use of steroids.
- Nudes are rude
But speedos are neato!
- There are many types of speedos and different brands like it now. If you are not insecure then do what you want. I wear one all the time when i swim. I am 29 and quite frankly it is more comfy in the water. Im not the perv for wearing them. you are the perv for staring and making a huge deal of it. if i have to look at camel toe, you can look at a bit of a bulge. and to the hag that said its childish.... i am willing to bet you always wear a pony tale and a dress that covers your whole legs. it is 2012 and its time to get out of others buisness about what and why they do what they do. there is nothing wrong with being comfy and having a good time in the water. Only in America do you find such stupid people to make a huge deal out of stupid things. Were your swimgear proudly men.
- I agree
- Nicely done
- Long shorts and bathing suits are more a result of the influence of black athletes starting with basketball players. Before their influence, everthing had gotten really short through the 70's. Starting in the 80's, blacks had a real aversion to wearing short shorts. Bathing suits just followed that trend.
- r135, I agree that African American and urban culture has driven style, especially for men. And for that, I am grateful.
- Ugh, not me
- [quote]And for that, I am grateful.
Bleech. Oh, hell NO.
- r138, those nut huggers were obscene and repulsive. People today can't believe basketball players actually wore those hot pants. They look like chicks.
- Today's basketball players look like they're wearing culottes - they're just one degree from wearing a skirt.
- That can't be comfortable wearing all of that Frock and fribbery
- Damm, that ass @ 134 looks tasty.
- nasty nastay!
- Dirty speedo
- looking good and nasty!
- Nice Speedo bulges in some of these photos
- I love the hairy guy
- r147 that is not a speedo. It is a square cut.
- [quote]that is not a speedo. It is a square cut.
While some may be square cut, the page has Speedo styles also. Don't you have a scroll bar on your screen so that you can move down the page?
- Check this hose!
- Hot day, I see
- This guy must have spilled some ice cream on his Speedo.
- Whoa, imagine finding him in your backyard
- Yank colors with Saudi Air Force plane. Strange photo.
- WTF is that?
- Speedo tan lines
- "those nut huggers were obscene and repulsive. People today can't believe basketball players actually wore those hot pants. They look like chicks."
This post reeks of homophobia, sexism and every kind of prudish and provincial impulse that the '70s, had we done them properly, would have banished to history's dustbin.
- One of those tree hugging people
- sorry but you lost, r158
- some guys have more to keep in their speedo than others
- Not one speedo yet at my complex pool. Not even the non-Americans. Cool.
- Well, the Future history of the speedo lies in . . . .Russia!
I just finished an article in this month's National Geographic about Russian Dachas (summer vacation cottages) and their Dachniki. This is all likely translated but here it goes:
"A word about the dacha dress code: For Men: Speedos, sometimes paired with rubber boots. "Why do Russian men wear Speedos?'I don't know, but it is truly Russian,' Says Melissa Caldwell, a social anthropologist at the U of Cali, Santa Cruz. 'I once almost had to burn my eyes after walking through a park in St. Petersburg and encountering what seemed like thousands of middle-aged men sunbathing in their Speedos')"
- Cool r162? Sounds more like middle America boring.
- r164, not wearing speedos is not synonymous with boring. good taste, yes, but not boring.
- or dullness
- There is a dude who wears a speedo on American Ninja. He is portrayed as doing it as a joke and the announcers are clearly creeped out by his wearing it on the show.
- New speedo sighting
- During the sandbar 4th of July sequence in Magic Mike, most of the strippers were wearing jams (except Alex Rodriguez, who wears a European-cut swimsuit). I imagined all the middleaged & elderly DLers who post endlessly here (& on threads like this) howling impotently in fury during that scene.
- jams are ugly
- PROVO, Utah -- A Utah police officer fired for dropping his pants and flaunting a green Speedo during a "Princess and the Frog" skit at a school is getting his job back.
Cody Harris filed an appeal after he was dismissed from his position as a Provo school resource officer in May. The Provo Civil Service Commission decided Wednesday that Harris should be reinstated.
Provo police said in an email that the department still backs its initial decision to fire Harris, but it will honor the commission's decision.
Harris was dismissed after Provo police said he removed his pants to show off the Speedo-style suit and made inappropriate gestures and comments while a group of female students were nearby.
Harris will receive training to work in the patrol division.
- Saw two square-cut Speedos at the beach yesterday.
- saw a normal speedo at the pool today - hot muscle bear too
- Looks better than board shorts.
- Olympian shows off his newest Speedo.
- Well, I was surfing on the net and I came to this topic...what is the matter in the US to wear short shorts or speedos?
I am Italian and I always wear speedos. I feel much more free and it dryes very quickly.
A lot of men here wear them without all this concern...isn't this a bit childish? Masculinity is not about what you wear, is about how you are...of course, you need to have a fit body and good legs to wear speedos...otherwise girls would just laugh at you!
- Yes, you Europeans are so enlightened. I especially enjoy the intellect evinced by your former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi and his 'bunga bunga' parties.
Can We Just Let This Thread Die?
- Tom Daley, reigning King of all Speedos!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aYBzKpaI7Ho/UB6Hd5eYScI/AAAAAAAAAaU/Mbc-VU0hfR0/s640/Erick Seng 3.jpg
- Moon over Miami
- For those who "just want this thread to die."
Suck on it!
- I met the guy who designed speedos once. He complimented me on the colour combination of my outfit. He told me he did design speedos, but I didn't know it was him so I brushed him off. I later on saw a picture of him in a local newspaper.
- American men are more self-conscious about their bodies than anyone outside the Arab world
- The best part about having to watch those Jacques Cousteau shows when I was a boy was getting to see the bearded, trim helpers and divers in their speedos. Sigh.
- That Australian lifeguard is hot.
- lifeguard competition
- [quote]guys who wear speedos should just complete the picture and wear bikini tops because they are already wear bikini bottoms. Dudes look best wearing masculine, boxy/square cut trunks or board shorts, not a feminine bikini cut.
I disagree with R9.
- Asses of death.
- A better way to wear a Speedo.
- When I hear Speedo, I think of Judge Reardon, the Speedo-wearing lunatic judge on [italic]Justified[/italic].
- [quote]guys who wear speedos should just complete the picture and wear bikini tops because they are already wear bikini bottoms.
- squarecut speedo
- Somebody forgot to wear his speedo.
- I read a swim blog and the author went through a phase when he kept going on about how boys wouldn't go into swimming because of having to wear Speedos and the associations with them. He's gay-friendly though, but was highlighting how American males have hang ups about it.
- r197, it is true. I think the decline of swimming as a sport (not just recreation) is linked to its association with men wearing speedos. Even women mock men in speedos.
- nice speedo bulge
- beach guy
- On my knees in the sand in front of those guys in R190 photo.
- R199 is that a flashlight in your speedo or are you just glad to see me?
- The only dude at my complex wearing a speedo is over 70. Unreal.
- Most Italian men wear Speedos on the beach.
- European men are not as beefy (muscle or fat) as American men. They don't have as developed bods.
- red speedo
- purple speedo
- Nice speedos
- Square-cut Speedos are making a comeback at Carib island beaches.
- square cuts are not called speedos
- R209 is perfect
- [quote]square cuts are not called speedos
Square cuts are called Speedos when they're made by the Speedo company. Google "Speeedo square cut" and don't come back until you've earned your G.E.D.
- I like speedo style suits, I've never understood the American disdain for them. Silly body issues I guess. Sad that American culture has given men a complex.
- If All men wore them it would not be an issue
- American men didn't wear Speedos; they (in the 50's and 60's) wore thigh-high trunks and/or higher-thigh fitted swim trunks.
But never without support, as Speedos lack.
Europe, now, ......
- r215, no it's mostly because most Americans think that speedos are cut too much like women's swimwear, ie, bikinis and therefore are not masculine/manly. It is the same reason why most young/youngish American men ridicule briefs as "tight whities."
- Women ridicule speedo wearers even more than men. Chicks hate speedos.
- why the fuck would I care about that?
- Also, in the United States, it does not help their reputation that almost all of the men Americans see wearing them are European or flamboyantly, overtly feminine. It is not a good image for getting American men to follow suit.
- they can get the fuck over themselves.
- Speak for yourself, r222.
- I meant r219!
- No SPEEDOS allowed. This is America.
- I saw two speedos at the beach yesterday. Both men were in good shape. There were several squarecuts also. Smaller swimsuits are making a comeback in the U.S.
- I word "speedo" has become a joke in and of itself. You say the word and people snicker and roll their eyes.
- ban them
- Only one week left at the pool, and still haven't seen one dude in a speedo.
- Not one guy in speedos all summer.
David Duchovny said he regrets wearing a red Speedo in the pilot episode of "The X-Files" during an appearance in New York with former co-star Gillian Anderson.
The two actors appeared Saturday night at the Paley Center for Media in New York to discuss the show, which celebrated the 20th anniversary of its debut last month, The Wall Street Journal reported Sunday.
Anderson said she was told she won the role of FBI Special Agent Dana Scully on a Thursday and by Saturday she and Duchovny were in Vancouver filming the pilot.
Duchovny said the show's creator, Chris Carter, wanted him to wear swimming trunks in the episode.
"I said nobody swims in boardshorts," so he wore his own Speedo. "I have regretted it ever since."
Anderson said she and Duchovny were often in bad moods when they had promotional photo shoots for the series because of the intense filming schedule required to produce two dozen episodes per season.
The shoots were held on weekends and "it was all day and that's your one moment off," Duchovny added.
"We were doing interviews every week," Anderson added, saying they didn't realize the popularity of the series until the third season.
Read more at
- In order for speedos to be acceptable in America, you have to have role model macho dudes wearing it, such as football/basketball players and hip hop artists. It would take a macho revamp too, perhaps masculinizing the cut somewhat.
- How odd that R212, R228, R230, R231, R232, R235, R238 apparently hates Speedos and wants to ban them, yet he keeps posting in and bumping up this thread!
- Totally on point OP. Many respondents prove (and the German's) your point.
- Not wanting speedos is one of saddest things about modern life.
The body should be celebrated in all its glory not hidden by by square cut board shorts,with everyone calling everyone else dude.
- Great post, r243!
- Stretched out blue one.
- Speedo is a brand. You can buy styles that are not the classic "Speedo" … square-cuts, board shorts, jams, even towels. But the nylon brief cannot be beat! Anyone looking good and in good shape looks good in them. Just don't go for one too tight. I like the brief with the 3" side panel. The 1" is just gross, makes you look all dick. No need for that. The water polo model is great, too. Often you can get a good deal from the company, on sale, the odd color combos and prints that didn't sell through last season.
- nylon brief?
- swim time is here
- I've seen several speedos on the beach recently. Board shorts seem to be gone. But the swim shorts still reach almost to the knee (better than the silly ankle length from several years ago).
- Bartender at Fire Island Pines.
- Just a bit more than a speedo.
- square cut
- Up on the roof
- Are you guys allowed to wear loose swimming shorts in the swimming pools in the US? I went swimming the first time for over 10 years earlier this year as part of my physiotherapy in public spa that also had many big swimming pools. I was wearing my loose Adidas swim board shorts and after just a minute in the pool a lifeguard/employee came to tell me that loose shorts are not allowed.
I tried to protest that they are swim shorts made especially for swimming but no, I couldn't wear them. Apparently the machinery that cleans the water get easily clogged by the wrong kind of fibres so you can only use tight trunks that are made of spandex or whatever that material is called. I had to rent a pair and there were only two kinds of trunks available: speedos or tight swim trunks.
I'm always amused by the hate speedos or tight trunks get from the American guys when here they are the only thing we are allowed to wear in the pools. I'm certainly not complaining because all the men wear tight trunks. It's a bulge fest.
- I LOVE a hot guy in a speedo!!!
- [quote]Are you guys allowed to wear loose swimming shorts in the swimming pools in the US?
Yes. Unless it's a swimming meet, guys will be in long, loose swim suits.
- Interesting thread, with a clear generational divide.
It's not surprising to me that the rightward shift in American politics since Reagan brought about the corresponding increase in social conservatism that I see here. In fact socially conservative sloganeering is what Reagan used to bring the country to the right in accordance with the interests of the business lobby.
Other points come to mind but I'll leave it here, except to say, I suspect all DLers against speedos here are from the Reagan generation and after.
Boardshorts are beach and swimwear that says No 'mo.
- beach fun
- water polo team
- hump day
- This is how to wear a Speedo
- My body is ready for caftans
- Speed-NO! Girls ban budgie smugglers on the beach
MEN, it's time to give your skimpy Speedos to the nearest Oxfam! Budgie smugglers are officially a fashion faux pas as two-thirds of women say they prefer guys in swim shorts, according to a study by travel agent On The Beachight and barely-there swimwear in a big fashion NO this summer.
An overwhelming 98% of British women would prefer their men not to wear snug Speedos during their holiday, according to a study conducted by travel agent On The Beach.
The survey of 1,500 British holidaymakers revealed that only 2% of girls would like to see their men sporting tiny pants on the beach, with two-thirds choosing swim shorts as their preferred option.
However, 13% said they would rather see their man wearing the more tight-fitting swimming trunks.
Alistair Daly, chief marketing officer at On the Beach, says: "We often see pictures of celebrity men wearing tight-fitting Speedos on holiday but our survey suggests that girls are not keen on their partners doing the same!"
- Speedo = around the butt nut hut
- I am often embarassed seeing a man wearing speedos. Your eyes automatically go to the crotch area. Worse sight, European men, fat, hairy, wearing tight swim wear. If one is an exhibitionist, well speedo would no doubt be your choice of beach apparel.
- Hell, you may as well just wear jeans at the beach.
- nice jeans bro
- The guy on the left represents,for me,the ideal length and fit for swimming attire...it's classic and unfussy.
All the others make it seem the wearer is going for a "look".
- I like the black square cut - and the guy wearing it.
- I prefer speedos
- Nice speedo tan line on Tom Berdych.
- [quote]Why would guys want to wear something that resembles a female bikini
I don't know, why would women want to ware something as masculine as pants? Might as well let your upper lip hair grow and stop shaving your pits.
Real ladies wear dresses, men wear pants. Lesbians exempt of course.
After all, the only women in history that wore pants were either gay or wanted to be precised as men.
- [quote]officially a fashion faux pas as two-thirds of women say they prefer guys in swim shorts
100 % of men is the UAE prefer their women in a black full lenght Burka.
- Real silver
- It would be nice if people like R280 would take a moment to learn how to post a photo.
- when I was in college, I got some kind of urinary tract infection that lasted a few weeks and I lost, like, 10-12 lbs.
I kept it off for about 3 months, but that was the only time in my life I could wear and look good in a Speedo.
- This is how to wear a Speedo.
- Several Speedo squarecuts on the beach yesterday.
- Love r284's photo! That IS how you wear a speedo!
- Zack Stewart
- speedos need to be worn
- During a trip to Louisville, gay adult film star Jessie Colter visited the recently re-opened Kentucky Kingdom. Jessie, like myself, tends to opt for the shorter side of men's swimwear. Upon arrival at the park, Colter was allegedly informed that his briefs were acceptable for wear at the park.
However during his stay at the park, Jessie was allegedly approached by a LMPD officer asking that he leave the park or face arrest. According to this article, a "LMPD officer allegedly approached Jessie, called him ‘queer’ and threatened him with arrest, for wearing Speedo swimwear. 'He informed me that several Public Safety Officers from the park had warned [me], which is 100% false,' Colter added."
Colter did decide to leave the park, and no official complaints against the park have been filed. Kentucky Kingdom has been contacted for a statement, but at time of publication I have not received a reply. This story will be updated once I do receive word from their team.
Kentucky Kingdom does outline a dress code on their site, which in summation gives them the right to refuse anyone for a suit the do not deem to be fit their standards.
"Guests must wear shirts and shoes at all times while at Kentucky Kingdom, except when inside the Hurricane Bay water park. Proper swimming attire is required at Hurricane Bay. For their own safety, guests may not swim in cut-offs or other clothing with rivets, zippers, or buckles. Kentucky Kingdom is a family-friendly theme park and reserves the right to determine whether a guest’s attire is appropriate."
While there has been no response from Kentucky Kingdom a local twitter user does seem to corroborate Jessie's story.
As a gay man that grew up in the area, I have received my fair share of hate and discrimination because of my sexual orientation. 4th Street Live's dress code is a prime example of a double standard: women are practically allowed to wear whatever they chose, but a man can not wear a tank top, low cut shirts, or shorts that are too short. Granted, I understand it's within the establishment's rights to put forth a dress code policy, but why the double standard? Why is it ok for women to show off their bodies, but when a man does it we are asked to leave or put on more clothing?
A Speedo may be a little out of place at Kentucky Kingdom, but at the end of the day ask yourself if it's out of place because it's inappropriate or because we, here in Kentucky, have made it taboo? Sound off in the comments, or feel free to hit me up on Twitter, @TheKenGent. I'd love to hear your take on all this.
UPDATE [July 10th]: Kentucky Kingdom office has reached out, and will be in contact tomorrow in regards to a statement
- Where's Richard Armitage?
- What? No pictures of Neil Patrick Harris in a speedo?
- Is it the suit? Or, what's in it?
- Who said that men don't wear pink?
- Do the tats work? Or, non?
- This is cute little number.
- From the back.
- From the side.
- I'll take two, please.
- Hmm... I don't know... What does it look like from the back?
- It doesn't "grab" me.
- YASSS!!! Me, likey!!!
- CHARGE IT!
- How I define a little black dress...
- [quote]Speedos should be illegal. The only guys who wear them in the U.S. are creepy exhibitionists are prancing effeminates. As one chick said, guys who wear speedos should just complete the picture and wear bikini tops because they are already wear bikini bottoms. Dudes look best wearing masculine, boxy/square cut trunks or board shorts, not a feminine bikini cut.
Well! Smell her! ...carrying around a bit of extra poundage, honey?
- r306, a dude wrote that.
- If he's hot in a jock, I'm sure he's just as hot in a g-string.
- I'll take it!
- This works too!
- [quote]I'm American and a lot of my guys my age prefer trunks and board shorts, not because they have body shame, but because it looks masculine. Speedos and short shorts and tight pants are perceived as feminine and gay.
I say bullshit to this! 80-98 degree weather, and you're walking around in board shorts? American men have simply become puritanical. You see it in the gym locker rooms where you have all the towel dancers. If straight men have become so afraid of their bodies being looked upon by a possible gay man then they are the ones with the issues.
Somewhere in this thread Black guys are mentioned, and from what I've seen at the beach this is very true. I've seen a number of Black guys wearing cargo pants, a tank top, or T-shirt, who jump into the ocean wearing all of that. They don't even take off their shirts! This is nothing but body shaming, or afraid of being perceived as gay. Just stupid!
Now... the Black girls on the other hand, wear it all, and some of them SHOULDN'T be wearing what they are wearing! But, good for them! You're there to enjoy the beach.
- I guess it depends who is wearing the g-string.
- How can you NOT like speedos?
- Perfectly attired
- So, this guy doesn't look bad in a speedo. I wish Will Smith was wearing one!
- You all realize that about 18 of the last 20 posts are from the same fixated loon, right?
- So what of it R316? I never tried to hide it. I'm just keeping the thread a rolling. Anyone is more than welcomed to chime in with their point of view. I tell ya... some of you are just the epitome of the gay stereotype.
- You can't put Speedo on an Expando body.
- Thanks for keeping it going R317.
- nice bulge
- Fun time
- Oh! R323!!! Where did that one come from? I like that suit, and would buy it for myself!
- Americans are turning more against speedos than ever.
- R325 And more over wight, there is a connection.
- R323 hot
- Sprinkle speedo
- This is how to wear a Speedo.
- mini speedo
- Would you turn down this Speedo wearer?
- Black and white
- Better than board shorts.
- You can get arrested for wearing those Pervy things in the US
- what is the site that fraus discuss soccer players in the UK?
- R333 absolutely not! hot hunk!
- Women hate dudes in speedos, while means dudes hate speedos.
- R340, your comment makes no sense. Anyway...from what I could understand of your posting, you must have forgotten that you're on a gay chat site. Who cares what women hate or like?
But, if women do hate men in speedos it can only be because of the attention that "their" guy is getting. Look... if you have a great body, whether you be a man or a woman, you're going to get attention. I'm as gay as the sky is blue, but I have seen women with drop-dead gorgeous bodies, who wear wearing bikinis, who have caused even me to stop, and go WOW! If you got the body, SHOW IT!!!
This reminds me of a guy in my gym. Cute, quiet, "boy next door" type. Think "geek" or "dork" in a nice way. Ya know...the Sears catalogue look. Well honeys, you wouldn't know it by the way he dresses, but when he is in his underwear...(I'm having palpitations already), Armani, Gregg Homme, Andrew Christian, to name what I have seen...and he looks GREAT, and he is HOT as hell!!!
He reminds me of that old cliche; "Be a lady in the streets, but be a whore in the bedroom!" WHEW!!! That boy is hot!!!
Anyway...if you've got the body, then show it! I hate seeing these good looking guys in those gawd-awful board trunks. It's too hot for all of that clothing.
- ...and one more thing. If you're not looking at least half way decent in a speedo, a square cut, or just a nice mid thigh trunk, ya know..."he's alright, but if he loses 5-10 pounds, he'll be a knockout" then its time to push the plate away from the table, and get to the gym!
Not everyone needs to look like the guy in the link. That's all way too much work! But, we all can be height/weight proportionate!
- Damn he's sexy r342
- That's a nice Speedo.
- R343, the point is that the fact that most Women ridicule men in speedos has a huge effect on prevailing attitudes towards speedos in America, wherever the sexual orientation or gender. I don't think it is because women are jealous of the attention men theoretically would get in speedos. After all, women love to see buff shirtless men showing off ripped abs and huge biceps. Moreover, you don't wear underwear in public, so there is no
Concern for jealously, but young women sure do lampoon men who wear bikini briefs or tighty whitie brief underwear. I think people just think men in speedos are creepy exhibitionists, or, very feminine. That is the public mainstream perception of men who wear speedos domestically. American Men, straight and gay, usually avoid speedos because they associate it with public exhibitionism, foreigners, creepiness, or feminine males. Until they no longer have that association, they will remain very unpopular in this country.
- R344 is FANTASTIC!
- My real name is MISTER EARL!
- and of course with speedos one must remember the SPF!
- A recent survey showed that Americans and Brits are the most uptight about wearing Speedos. Apparently, they're embarrassed about showing their cock in public. LOL. What a bunch of uptight twats!
- R349, what type of person is okay with showing their genitals in public?
- OO, OO, OOOOO, I know R350!!! What is a ...NUDIST!
- R345 summed it up perfectly.
- So, women laugh at him R352, and R345? Okay...
- I get lots of laughs looking at this guy...
- Even Mr. Armani likes a speedo.
- This guy just has me rolling all over the floor in fits of laughter.
- Oh, those silly boys!
- Luke 16:15 says in part 'what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in he sight of God.' Since being elegantly clothed is more highly esteemed than is being merely well dressed; and being well dressed is more highly esteemed than is being poorly clothed; and even being poorly clothed is more highly esteemed than is being unclothed, being naked must be more acceptable in God's sight than is being well clothed. Therefore, if speedos should be outlawed it should only be after board shorts and all other swimwear offering more coverage than speedos have been outlawed.
- [quote]You can get arrested for wearing those Pervy things in the US
That's actually true in some parts of the country. It religious extremists gone amuck!
[quote]A recent survey showed that Americans and Brits are the most uptight about wearing Speedos. Apparently, they're embarrassed about showing their cock in public. LOL. What a bunch of uptight twats!
and that's such a shame in this day and age. I have noticed that it is the young who are acting like this. I see these young guys wearing a tank top under a T-Shirt. Really? It's just too damn HOT for all of that clothing! You don't have to have the "perfect" body to wear a speedo. Many men, who are height, and weight, proportioned look very sexy in them. A man wearing a speedo tells me that he is comfortable with his body, and sexuality. I wouldn't kick this guy in the link out of bed.
- Or this one.
- Or, even him. ...but I'm known to be a slut.
- There are dudes here in Miami that jog in a speedo on the beach. Latino dudes with thick brown asses and muscled chests. This thread might get me to go speedo watching today, lucky me!
- Muscle slut shirt, and speedo!
- Now, THIS is when we begin to run into problems. But hey! good for him!!!If he feels comfortable, and confident, wear it papi!
- Another no bueno, but hey... for some this works.
- It's all about the abs. Mmph!
- green speedo, nice pecs
- swim meet
- Is that a thong tanline on France?
- Army guy is ready to play.
- btw, comparing the fashions between the U.S., Europe, and Eastern Europe, I had to check out very recent beach photos of a formerly Eastern European country that's now part of the West and is in Northern Europe.
The conclusion is,
The size of men's shorts is inversely proportional to their age.
— aka the older the shorter, the younger the longer (and usually better-looking :).
But rarely do boardish shorts go past the knee, like they often do in the U.S.
So, for people who are conscious that their bodies are out of shape or more, but who stil want to go on a beach, then board shorts are perfect.
Truth to tell, speedos only look great guys on who are in good shape.
- This is what to wear to a pool party.
- R374 If you look like most of the guys in that picture, the appropriate thing to wear would be your birthday suit.
- A brother in speedo, the rarest specimen of them all!
Looks like he needs extra crotch room...
- Is anyone up for an invasion of Upper Arlington?
- Rod Stewart. Not bad...
- Older daddy in a speedo. Not bad!
- Mark Damon. Not bad!
- Yes sir! It's about the abs!!!
- One wonders what a caftan made by Speedo would look like. That I would wear...
- I actually own these too in red.
- Ahnold again. Still, not bad.
- WHOA! R376! HOT!!!
- Yasss! Hunny!
- There is nothing remotely feminine about speedos. Masculine and feminine guys both wear them. It's the guy who might make them appear feminine, not the article of clothing itself.
There is absolutely nothing hotter on a well built guy in my opinion.
Next we'll be hearing that masculine guys only wear boxer shorts too. Pathetic.
- Comments from the net:
-This last one’s for you, fellas. If you’re on vacation in Europe or competing in a swim meet, you’ll fit right in wearing a Speedo.
Otherwise, give us a break and keep a little more of yourself to yourself with swim trunks that won’t make us blush when we look your way. Rod Stewart hasn’t exactly been rocking the Speedo look all these years. (personally, I think Rod looks great!)
-Perhaps those of us who wear Speedo style swimwear do it for OUR comfort and don’t care what others think. Less is more when swimming or wearing wet cloth on our body. Get over it.
-I find that people complain not so much about the speedo but the figure of the man wearing it. It's this odd societal attitude that wearing exposing clothing is a privilege for skinny people only.
-I wouldn't be seen dead wearing speedos/swim briefs. I imagine my mum had me wearing that type when I was little. But now? Good grief no. I have not been swimming in a while, but I seem to remember most chaps wearing swimming shorts. When they say Europe - I don't think they are including the UK I don't think you will find many e.g's of average men wearing swim briefs on British beaches... (fat turd)
-Men in long swim trunks = THIS year’s fad. Ever see a tan line that stops at the waist and doesn’t begin again until the knees? NOT pretty… or handsome. I notice that it’s not a man writing this; how would you (or any other woman) like to be told that you should wear a swimsuit that covers most of your thighs?
-I would not be caught dead wearing the droopy dorky drawers that most American insecure idiots were. When I go to the beach I want to be comfortable and enjoy the sun on my skin. Why do American's feel its ok for women to wear normal swimwear but expect guys to wear these ridiculous long johns.
-If I look as great as Rod when I'm his age, I would wear a Speedo. And I'm female.
-I've gotten speedos as a joke gift, but the joke was on the jokee as I wore them out when we went to the beach. I've always been 160 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal...
-Hey, Liz, if you like trunks, wear them yourself. It's like trying to swim in a parachute. I prefer skinny-dipping myself; but I wouldn't want to make you blush. That's another beach no-no.
- Not bad.
- I agree R389! Does this guy look feminine?
- Or, this guy?
- Or,even this guy?
- ...and then you have this! Why wear anything?
- In the States, speedos are extremely unpopular because of who wears them. The men who wear them are usually way out of shape, older, or very uh, unmanly. If football players, hip hop artist, or Marines wore them, they might be more popular. But the strong stigma against them is tied to the unpopular group of men who wear them.
- Says it all...
- I work out intensely 5 days a week, including lifting, 45 minutes of cardio and swimming. I follow a high protein, lo-carb diet. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs, prescription or otherwise.
If I want to wear a Speedo when I swim or go to the beach(and I do), that's my prerogative and I don't give a flying fuck what some prissy cunt(male or female) thinks about it.
- R398, can I feel up your ass?
- WOW! Speedo; Muscle Slut shirt; ...I wonder if he bottoms?
- Sorry, but wearing speedos will never be accepted in America. It is too associated with feminine guys.
- Says who?
- [quote]Sorry, but wearing speedos will never be accepted in America
Yes, you are sorry. Speedos are worn by thousands of swim teams in high schools, colleges, and YMCAs all across America. Pull your head out of the sand for once and look around.
- When you have the body...
- R403, but that is in the restricted environment of a sports uniform in a formal activity. You hear male swimmers on teams commonly object to wearing speedos, and many opine that swimming would be more popular in the US if its competitive swimmers did not wear speedos. Moreover, it is not like non competitive casual swimmers wear speedos in America. Guys only wear them when forced by competitive rules, and then, often very begrudgingly.
- Really? I know competitive (or formerly so) swimmers and I've never heard that.
- Here's a woman that doesn't like men in speedos. However, I think it's more like someone is worried she may not be able to contain her own excitement, therefore fearful of seeing men in the things.
No! Keep those Speedos off American men!
By Jamesetta M. Walker
© July 9, 2013
A response to Simon Doonan's Slate column, "Why Are Guys Afraid to Wear Speedos?"
OF ALL THE THINGS to organize a pro-movement about, the wearing of Speedos in the United States should be the last.
It's a Euro-Mediterranean thing, an underground fetish. That's where it needs to stay.
If I were to go to the Oceanfront and see waves of men in Speedos, I might not ever go to the beach again.
First, the Speedo throng is not likely to be full of calendar-worthy beefcakes. It overwhelmingly would include flabby, gorilla-hairy dudes. I'm not just saying that. Statistics on American obesity bear me out.
OK, stats might not back up the gorilla-hairy part, but I'm sure you can imagine how it would be based on what we've already seen.
Second, men, good manners dictate consciousness of your junk. Some stuff is meant only for your mama or your mate to know about.
That's not stopping guys of all shapes and sizes from taking to the Web and to the waters to strut their stuff in some supposed backlash against board shorts. There's a Tumblr page and a Facebook site dedicated to encouraging guys to wear Speedos. The mission on the Facebook page proclaims "the Speedo is coming back to stay!"
Not in the good ol' U.S. of A.
I polled 10 American men on whether they'd wear a Speedo. The age spread was mid-30s to early 60s. The majority appear to be exceptionally fit.
Their reactions ranged from a terse "No," to a shake of the head with that "you must be crazy" look, to a profanity-laced diatribe about indecency.
To his initial "No," one mature fella added this caveat: He'd wear one under the condition that a bet was involved and that he got paid handsomely.
I hope no one bets him. He has children who have to live in this country.
I asked one of the more cosmopolitan men why he wouldn't wear one, and I got a lengthy explanation about how "that's just not what men are supposed to do." A man's business should not be on display.
I concur. And neither should a woman's, for that matter.
I can't think of one good reason to publicly cavort wearing a Spandex patch.
If one is about to dive in and swim competitively, I guess he needs the advantage of a Speedo. Otherwise, what's the attraction of frolicking in male briefs two sizes too small?
Please don't tell me.
No, wait... narcissism, perhaps?
Go ahead, put yourself on display. Just don't go too far in Virginia Beach. A thong-style Speedo could land you in jail, according to city code section 22-10 - no exposed pubic area or buttocks.
I'm not getting my tankini in a twist about it. On a bright, summer day chill'axing, one should look like whatever kind of fool he desires.
In America, if we see you coming in a Speedo, we will clear the beach for you.
- The Doonan article:
Why Are Guys Afraid to Wear Speedos?
American men need to get over their Freudian fear of showing off their junk.
- [quote]Here's a woman that doesn't like men in speedos.
WHO, WHO, you stupid twat!
- Another comparison.
- OOPS! No clothes!
- He's hot
- Not hot
- To each his own R417. But, that's a hot ass there!
- If ya think, dude.
- I think he's tremendous
- -Great .....a story on men's irrational fear of speedos and a slide show of women in string bikinis.
-It's a generational thing. My generation of males had no problem wearing tight jeans, shorts, or swim suits that left little to the imagination in the 1960s-80s. Today's "men" are little more than overgrown children to chicken to display what they've got yet love it when their generation's women wear skin-tight clothes. Hypocrites. The ladies are waiting for you to pull up you saggy, shapeless drawers, boys. Stop dressing like 5-year olds.
-I think the real fear is that visible junk may be construed as perverted behavior. Family values in this country are so whack that people want to clothe naked statues.
-Either you wouldn't look good in Speedos or you have an issue to deal with concerning your body--get to a gym.
-It is a strange dichotomy in this society. Mainstream films can show full female nudity and all manner of horrid violence, yet the male genitalia remains off limits. And certainly men are not encouraged to "celebrate their bodies" as a form of liberation as modern women are. A man's "junk," as this article sadly puts it, is more often seen as an image of shame and aggression than anything to be celebrated. Perhaps it is time for the Penis Monologues?
-Men's pubic region is not exactly an attractive area, so why is it a surprise that we don't want to wear a speedo. Nobody wants to see that. (too funny!)
-I love speedos, as a protest against the TSA I once dropped my pants and put said pants on the conveyor belt at LAX airport back in 2004 because they wanted me to "step aside". They wanted to arrest me for indecent exposure but couldn't because the little blue speedos I was wearing are considered swimwear and cover up what needs to be legally covered. I walked through the metal detector and asked them if they still wanted to frisk me and to quote the over paid, under educated TSA lady, "Boy, put yo pants back on!" Needless to say, but people were cheering and clapping for that. After my pants were back on they asked me why I was wearing it, I said I wanted to go swimming after I got to my destination.
-Men like being able to talk smack about women, it gives them prestige among their small-brained buddies. Listen to men at a beach watching women, talking about that one's a dog, etc. But men do not want women to see their stuff and be able to rate and denigrate them the way they do women.
-Some of us still believe in leaving something to the imagination. For those who feel they have to display their junk for all to see, I say don't worry about them they are already doing it. For those who some might feel are afraid to do this I say, you need to learn something about modesty and dignity. Most that don't show their junk to strangers IMHO are those that respect themselves and those they come into contact with.
-I'm not particularly a fan of speedos, but having lived in Europe and elsewhere for periods of time, I have to say I am amazed at the prudishness of so many American men...from the oversized (baggy and almost ankle-length "shorts") to the baggy-assed jeans, some guys are way too uptight about letting their attributes be admired. (However, that having been said, if I appeared to have "zero" upfront, as the guy in the accompanying photo apparently has, I would definitely be hesitant about wearing a speedo, for sure!)
-Our society is so uptight. Personally, I am female, and I wouldn't mind seeing more men in speedos or short square briefs. I'd rather see a dude who's got some color sporting a speedo than a pale, pasty guy with knee-high tan lines from wearing board shorts. I think it's such a double standard that women should feel compelled to wear skimpy bikinis yet some men feel that it's horrible to bare even a little bit of skin. By all means, wear whatever you think is comfortable according to what you're doing, but nobody should be afraid to wear less clothing because of what other people will think. If you don't like what someone is showing, don't look, it's really as simple as that.
- Russell Brand
- Wyclef Jean!
- Hugh Jackman
- just don't do it, bro
- Ryan Lochte!
- I prefer him in these, though!
- -Agreed. As a woman who loves men, the more I see of them the better. Especially if they're hot. Come on guys, you like to see our bodies, show more of yours.
-I always break out the speedo when vacationing in Mexico, Carribean or on a cruise. I don't care what the women think. It's my wife I care about and she encourages me. I'm an exibitionist anyway. I think it is really the American women that drive American men to go with the long swim suits. I think they (American women) feel ashamed when they have to stare!
-Will Americans ever get over their sex hang-ups? Why do we have to now use the term "junk" for a portion of anatomy which all men have?
-It's not that I am afraid of showing off my junk. It's just there isn't very much to show. In fact, Peggy Lee recorded a hit about my junk in 1969 called, "Is That All There Is?" I have been embarrasses ever since!
-1) Homophobia is still rampant in the U.S.
2) Americans are extremely prude.
3) Most American men are overweight.
-Between board shorts and rash guards, men might as well burkas to the beach.
-Speedos are disgustingly revealing. Save it for the bedroom.
-Could be that the US women have a fixation on "male-bashing".....there's simply no holds barred when you get three or more women together and they start talking about what they consider "men's deficiencies". US women are perhaps the angriest women on the planet. And I say that after having traveled to 16 countries around the world. Get over it, girls.
-I don't think we are afraid of showing off. It's just that most American males have a gut that makes a speedo totally inappropriate.
-As someone who routinely ditches the swimsuit all together, I say wear what you want. Bare skin doesn't have to automatically be sexualized; just keep it clean. It's summer, have fun and don't worry about what people, who you will never meet, think about you.
- David Beckham!
- Hulk Hogan
- Seal & Heidi!
- Terrell Owens
- Ricky Martin!
- -Fear of showing their junk? What can you expect from a country full of wacky Puritans teaching little boys their penis is evil. Then you have the other side of the coin, Men who think it is wrong to wear a Speedo on the beach, but take cell phone photos of their nude junk at parties and then plaster them all over the internet.
-Does their exist anything more fragile and delicate than a heterosexual male's ego?
-I don't know if men are too scared to wear speedos, but I know that I am scared of looking at most of those who do. The majority of men that I've seen wearing them are just plain frightening, and I live down the shore so I've seen plenty of them. Stick with more traditional men's trunks or board shorts. No one wants to look at a hairy, middle-aged man with a beer gut and moobs in a speedo, and guys who look like that far outnumber the fit and toned guys wearing them. I wouldn't inflict my body in a bikini on a bunch of innocent bathers, so these guys should have the same consideration.
-Men have become neurotic prudes while large and proud women have no problem squeezing their girth into a tiny two piece.
-WE American women look at you men in Speedos with disgust. And no, it's not some Puritan sensibility. You are under a very false impression that We want to see your junk. (must be a lesbian)
-I'm the most self-conscious personally conservative person I know and even I think the current style in swim trunks in absurd. Why not make 'em 3 inches longer and call 'em trousers.
-It's not fear, it's decency. News flash, we don't want to see your 'junk' outside the bedroom. It's disgusting. Just another form of flashing. Focus on something else, like developing a personality and manners. (Fundamentalist)
-it's not just speedos... there are guys at my gym who wear shorts in the shower... and go fully clothed in the sauna and when they are changing they do the "wrapped towel around waist while putting on underwear" thing like they are outside in a parking lot... and we are talking about a locker room filled with guys with the same junk... i just laugh every time
-If you've got nothing to hide, show it. If you've got nothing to show, hide it.
-yes, American men are afraid of their junk. They - we - are afraid of being sized up, or rather, sized down, with their endowment being OUT THERE. Speedo's are the ultimate in putting your business on display, and American men are size-obsessed enough to not want that sort of attention. It also gives the impression that you are gay if you notice, or even look at, another man's package. It boils down to the fact that American men are self-conscious and afraid.
-I rock speedos all the time. I'm American. I have a girlfriend. She loves em and if there's a funny saying or print on em so does everyone else at the party. There's no sense in wearing so much clothing if you're at a hot beach with a bunch of other scantily clad women around. It helps you appreciate the saga they have to go through anyway to find their swimwear every summer. People are just using the "euro or gays" only nonsense so that they can ostracize something different. Ya'll can rock ur wet capris and I'll continue not to have stupid tan lines.
-Can't speak for other women. Maybe it's just me. But I think speedos are very unflattering to the rest of the male body in total. In spite of the fact that they may be more revealing of genital's, which isn't necessarily a turn on, they just don't look good to me. Neither do boardshorts that come to the knees or flap like skirts. I don't know what you call them, but there's something between wearing a skin-clinging membrane around your privates and looking like a girl in a skirt. If it shows a man's backside to good advantage and shows off broad shoulders, narrow waist, nice hips, without clinging like girly stuff, I'm all for that. He's my guy.
WHEW!!! Now discuss...
- Matt Bomer
- They are Always hot
- Yes, daddy!
- Whatever you want daddy!
- One of the best things about being a gay man is that I don't have to give two flying fucks about a single thing any woman on earth thinks.
- Oh, this guy is sooo feminine...
- ...and that's great R441, but what we have here are other gay men criticizing other gay men if they want to wear a speedo. There are enough examples that have been posted here to dispute that idea. REAL MEN CAN WEAR SPEEDOS! Those who are against them are usually out of shape slobs, or puritans.
I brought this thread to the attention of 3 women. Their thoughts? Well, all 3 said that you have to have a body on point to wear them (I disagree), but they hated the long board shorts. What they thought was sexy are the short square cut.
- R438, HOT!!! Not all thin boys look good in speedos, but he's not one of them!
- You can be big and hairy and still look hot in them too
- Ya sure can, R445!
- Pierce Brosnan!
- Lance Franklin!
- Keith Urban!
- John Allen Nelson!
- I want to be thin so much.
So I can have no stomach and wear a Speedo just once more.
- So, what's stopping you R452? Just do it!
- Don't be afraid R452! Just do it!!!
- DIEGO SIMEONE
- It DEFINITELY would NOT be me!!! But, good for this guy! Look at him go!!! Look at all the fun he's having!
‘Screw What Everybody Else Thinks’: Speedo-Wearing Gym-Goer Told to Change Attire or Face Cops — Cries Sexism, Discrimination
Brad Cieslowski doesn’t mince words when describing his physique.
“I think I look good, yeah,” he told WJBK-TV in Southfield, Mich.
The 29-year-old doesn’t have a problem showing off his body in public, either — which seems to have led to a cringe-worthy kerfuffle with his fitness club.
Cieslowski had just completed a three-hour workout last Saturday at Lifetime Fitness in Novi, Mich., which is about a half hour northwest of Detroit, then decided to relax in the club’s hot tub.
But it wasn’t long before a lifeguard approached Cieslowski and told him he needed to “change into something more appropriate; that is not appropriate,” he recalled.
That, Cieslowski said, referred to his “square-cut speedo” suit, he explained to WJBK, as well as “the bulge. That’s usually people’s problem with the speedo, is the bulge.”
Cieslowski said he’s worn the speedo at the gym previously without incident, but this time some fellow gym-goers apparently complained to staffers, who then told Cieslowski to cease and desist.
“He says, ‘We can all see it.’ And I said, ‘Well then stop staring. No one’s making you look at it,’” Cieslowski told WJBK.
But when the staffer threatened to call police, Cieslowski reluctantly complied, adding that it turned into a scene in which he was “embarrassed” and “publicly humiliated” and “discriminated against.”
His short-form stance? “Screw what everybody else thinks,” he told WJBK.
“I can say the same thing about all the women around this pool in their bikinis and their one-pieces, showing off every nook and cranny of their body leaving absolutely nothing to the imagination but their skin color,” he told WJBK.
“I’m not allowed to be myself and wear what I want to wear and it’s ridiculous, and it’s incredibly sexist.”
Lifetime Fitness released this statement in response to the situation: “We acknowledge there are various types of swim attire…however we have a two-layer house code. In this instance, multiple members registered concerns rooted in discomfort and as a result the decision was reached to ask the member to leave the pool area.”
Cieslowski said he wasn’t aware of the two-layer rule before the incident, adding that he’ll comply. He noted, too, that he spoke to the gym’s general manager, who Cieslowski said apologized for how the situation was handled.
What do you think? Sexist move by the gym…or appropriate action?
- Society doesn't have to tolerate your weird, selfish exhibitionism. Find a gym that is okay with speedo wearing and shut up.
- [quote]Society doesn't have to tolerate your weird, selfish exhibitionism.
and, yet society must tolerate the following?
[quote]It has been my experience that those who can pull off wearing items like this never do. The ones that should never wear items like this always do.
He does have a point. It isn’t always the hot chicks in the revealing active wear. At my gym, I routinely see hugely fat women, like 250 pounders, that stuff their utter sized boobs in sport bras and tanks where their nipples look like the knobs on a range top. They also wear lycra tights showing every divot of celluite on their huge misshapen thighs. Then they get off the treadmill and they have a cameltoe in which one could hide a laptop.
- It was probably a complaint by a jealous old fart who is totally out of shape. I doubt the gym lifeguard warns women about their obvious cameltoe.
- They look really uncomfortable. I like having some room for my junk to move around.
- [quote]like having some room for my junk to move around.
Longer swim shorts have a lining to keep your "junk" from moving around. A Speedo is does the same.
The guy at the gym, wasn't wearing a speedo brief, he was wearing a square cut.
- [quote]Longer swim shorts have a lining to keep your "junk" from moving around.
Not the ones I wear.
- MORE SPEEDOS!!!
Jose Conseco dancing in speedos!
- The Royal Jewels!
- R463, there is a medical reason for the lining in a man's swimsuit. Of course if you're a eunuch it wouldn't matter.
- Another Tom!
- [quote]there is a medical reason for the lining in a man's swimsuit.
Sure there is.
- PAY DIRT!!!
- nice duo
- R464 Go Daddy indeed!!
- Too much?
- If you need some help...
- Hotness in b&w.
- They work for me
- hot daddy
- Shemar Moore!
- Would you turn him down?
- hot daddy redone
- swim with him
- Speedo trio
- Why is the USA so Speedo-phobic? This is the feeling I get from a lot of people. I think there are a number of factors at work here. First, prominent displays of sexuality are judged differently from males to females. Ladies are encouraged to wear skimpy bikini swimwear, even when they shouldn’t. I have seen some girls wear bikinis, because they have a big chest. Yet, they have cottage cheese thighs too.
When you look at the list of actresses that have done nude scenes, the list is very long. The same can’t be said for actors willing to do nude scenes or full frontal nudity. Why is this? It seems that taking their tops off allows actresses to be taken seriously.
Another reason for the Speedo phobia, is the fact that a lot of men let themselves go. If you knew that you had to wear Speedos at the beach or pool, maybe you would try harder to stay in shape. And you don’t have to have washboard abs to pull one off either. You can have some gut, and still look good too.
Guys are insecure about the size of their manhood, is another reason I hear for men not wanting to wear Speedos. You don’t have to be well hung to wear them. I have seen many guys who have average or small penises still look very nice in them.
Woman don’t want to see a guy’s junk, is one of the most ridiculous reasons I have heard for not wanting a man to wear Speedos. Women I know love guys, and their penises. The women who are “scarred” by seeing an outline of a man’s cock and balls in Speedos are those ladies that are probably afraid of sex, and only do it for their men in the dark.
And of course, the old standard: I am not gay, why would I wear one? I guess gay guys are more in touch with their bodies than straight men. You should wear one cause your girl likes how your body looks in one. And you get to show the world that all the time you have spent in the gym has paid off.
- I'd like two of these, please.
Earl of Sandwich
- Kicked out of stadium for wearing a Speedo. The fat fraus in the background were offended by his skin show.
- I forgot how great Russell looked in them. I now remember how hard I became!!!
- Sylvester Stallone
- beach guy
- Oh nooo....
What were they thinking?
- Check this bulge
- Demonstrating the Speedo Strut.
- purple package
- Let's get a front view R490!
- The speedo '70s.
- Get your hand out of my speedos!
- From the back R490!
- Discarded speedos...
- Don't laugh at my speedos!
- St. Tropez speedos, 1978
- very brief speedo
- BONER for R507! Not laughing R505! Heavy breathing... yes...
- Tight fit.
- Eyes forward.
- These examples are getting me horny!!
- checking out the speedo guy
- Who's the guy at R502?
- 7. See. 14
- hairy hunk
- R514...he's Ed Barnard.
- Colorful Speedo
- More dudes with phat asses please
- Speedos, speedos, speedos.
1977...when speedos were speedos and everyone wore speedos.
- Women are threatened by make sexuality. If a man looks sexy, she looks bad in comparison. It's an exhausting game that straight men have to play with women, they're always validating or placating them.
- cute speedo guy
- Cute trunks...
- Gregory Harrison
- Real men wear pink!
- He's a cutie
- Sam Champion and gold digger...err... husband.
- I'm feminine?
- Atlanta's annual speedo run! CUTIES!!!
- Boston's annual speedo run!
- G. Gordon Liddy...
- Bobby Ewing?
- speedo trio
- Winsor Harmon
- Aaron Ridge!
- It's a great look
- Maxwell Caufield
- @R539, Now... what's his story? Anyone know? Talk about someone who has always pinged to me!
- Oh! That's cute...
- Nasty! Pig Nasty!!
- Colin Farrell
- ...and how about these twins?
- My first cruise...
- Gay, or straight?
- Dunno, but his mannerisms and presentation are very feminine.
- just chillin
- very good use of a speedo
- Isn't this Coach Bob AKA _______?
- Pavel Novotny
- The fabulous, Mr. Rick Rude! RIP...
- Real men wear pink, encore!!!
- Well? Do you want this?
- YESSS!!! Let it hang, honey!
- ocean fun
- Hello, daddy!
- Your place or mine?
- @R560! NEITHER!!! ...unless your daddy is covering my tab too!
- I want to lay with r545 and r548, at the SAME DAMN TIME
- Cool cat.
- Going my way?
- Mello yellow
- Speedo duo
- David Duchovny
- purple passion
- lifeguard does his stud stroll around the pool
- nice package
- Cute little ass! Would love to bend him over my knee...
"pat!" "pat!" "pat!"
- ...and here I thought I had seen it all.
- Phil Sullivan...
- People are saying they hate guys in Speedos, but have no problem watching pro wrestling where they are the uniform of choice.
- Good point R579! And, in pro wrestling, they're rubbing their "no-no's" against each other.
- Just because, honey...
This is related to R342
- R580, which is incredibly hot
- We hate Speedos! They look so, you know...gay. Lol. We like long bathing bathing suits on a guy, only women (like me, hint hint) should attract that much attention!
- Gio Dell
- Gio Dell live!
- I saw a man wearing a speedo at my local pool
Is that like spotting Bigfoot?
- Gabe Kapler said he wears a Prince Albert.
- tmi, dude
- [quote]I saw a man wearing a speedo at my local pool. Is that like spotting Bigfoot?
Did he have big hands too? OH, my!!!!
- It will soon be time for another Speedo thread.
Beaches in Italy this summer are filled with men of all sizes and shapes who wear Speedos. Unlike men in the U.S. who wear silly board shorts/culottes, they haven't been filled with body shame. They just go to the beach to soak up some sun and have fun.
- [quote]It will soon be time for another Speedo thread.
Oh, yes!!! ANOTHER THREAD, PLEASE!!!
- Age: 28
Hair: Light Brown
Shoe 9 1/2
- Oh, say! can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
- Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
- And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there:
- ^ Thank looks like Gary Marshall
- Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there:
Oh, say! does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
- Oops. *That* looks like Gary Marshall. And I mean R596's pic.