- the Bullies are the Christians.
- Actually, figure skating has a huge fundamentalist Christian side......
The Figure Skating Hall of Fame is in Colorado Springs, CO. home of the Evil Dr. James Dobson and his anti-gay group, Focus on the Family.
Scott Hamilton, founder of the Stars on Ice skating shows, is a Born Again Christian and speaks on Pat Robertsons 700 Club.
The current Director of Communications for Skate Canada (Barb MacDonald) does pro bono work for One Way Ministries. Their current director is former Focus on the Family Canada (yes they are world wide). Skate Canada has also officially promotes 2 Evangelical Charities: World Vision Ministries and Serving n Mission.
American Figure Skater Paul Wylie is an outspoken Evangelical Christian.
Christian Televangelist Pat Robertson used to own the company which is now Stars on Ice.
Six time Canadian Champion, Jennifer Robinson (who just got elected to municipal office last month) is a spokesperson for World Vision Christian Ministries. She recruited Jeffrey Buttle and Joannie Rochette into the life.
American figure skater, Rachell Flatt, is also an Evangelical Christian.
- Stars on Ice refused to hire Johnny Weir because he was not "family friendly". (GLAAD called them on it - no results)\
Skate Canada started up its "Tough" Campaign 1 year before the 2010 Olympics. (EGALE Canada called them on it - no results)\
CBC''s Battle of the Blades, replaces male figure skaters with hockey players to "attract" new audiences to figure skating.
- As I said....
- THE GOOD GUYS: Brian Orser, Johnny Weir, Adam Rippon, Chris Mabee, Joey Russell, Michael Islam, Drew Meekins, David Wilson.\
THE HAVE IMPROVED: Jeffrey Buttle, Jeremy Abbott, Tessa Virtue, Ashley Wagner, Dorthy Hamill\
THE NEUTRAL: Taylor Toth, Stephen Carriere, Jeremy Ten, Kevin Reynolds, Garret Gosselin, David Baden (only because he picked up Adam) Kim Yuna (only because she kept David W), Doug Leigh\
THE NOT SO GOOD: Evan Lysacek, Benoit Lavoie, PJ Kwong, Michelle Kwan, Patricia St. Peter, Yuki Saegusa, Scott Moir, Rachal Flatt, Tom Zakrajsek\
THE EVIL: Kurt Browning, Scott Hamilton, David Pellieter, Jamie Sale, Steve Disson, Jef Billings, William Thompson and Debbie Wilkes, Patrick Chan, David Raith, Byron Allen.
- "What about meeeee"
Elvis Stojko and his fine fuckable bubble butt
- Good Guys should also include coaches Mark Mitchell and his partner Peter Johansson, also Pricilla Hill (who always seemed very loving toward Johnny).
- Elvis Stojko, Not so Good. He is not bright enough to be evil.\
Brian Boitano, Not so Good. He is a 60 year old, chickenshit, closet case.
- ....sounds like a lot of self-loathing closet-cases are running the show....
- "Elvis Stojko, Not so Good. He is not bright enough to be evil."\
Why? What did he do? I know he''s isn''t a fundie.
- Elvis said: \
"We (Elvis and Skate Canada) don''t want to obliterate all the gay guys" on ABC World News about 1 year ago.
- Big deal r11.
- Richard Callaghan = Pure Evil. He is the one who messed up Todd Eldredge''s head so badly. Rudy Galindo = Good Guy, but was messed up on drugs. Timothy Goebbels was too, but his brain kicked in 3 years ago. If Sasha Cohen was male, she would be Brian Boitano. Evan Lysacek will never be a rocket scientist. Smuckers is a fundie company and major Republican party donor.
- "If Sasha Cohen was male, she would be Brian Boitano."%0D\
What does that mean?
- Who are the bullies?%0D\
Bullies are always The Closet Cases.
- So Kurt Browning, David Pelletier and Elvis Stojko are closet cases?
- Elvis Stojko is closet cases and has had many boyfriends.
- I don''t think Pelletier is gay. Considering he has cheated on both his wives with other women.\
Stojko I can believe is gay.
- Really? Elvis Stojko is a closet case? He was the subject of a "Wait, Wait, Don''t Tell Me" quiz recently. The correct answer was that he had started a campaign to make Canadian male figure skating more butch.\
To his credit, the contestant, Elvis Costello, picked the wrong answer. He thought Stojko''s campaign was to call the Canada Goose by its proper name, rather than the frequently but mistakenly used "Canadian Goose"
Don''t start me talkin''
- What about Andrew Poje? Canada''s 3rd-ranked ice dancer.\
I think he often talks about how much he likes being a guy in figure skating because of all the women that are available.\
Is he really a pussy hound, or is he a closet case?
- Emanuel Sandhu is gay. Of course, Kurt Browning hates him too, but not as much as Johnny Weir. \
I thought it was interesting that Battle of the Blades flew Johnny Weir up to Canada to appear on the show for 3 minutes. That reeks of PR trouble. I wonder if the Mo''s at the CBC are starting to get freaked out about the homophobic leanings of this show?
- "Really? Elvis Stojko is a closet case? He was the subject of a "Wait, Wait, Don''t Tell Me" quiz recently. The correct answer was that he had started a campaign to make Canadian male figure skating more butch."\
There are butch gay guys you know? It''s OK to butch it up a bit.
- Is Thomas Verner gay?
- Butch gays guys don''t marry women. We call these type of gay guys cowards or chickenshits.
- FRANK magazine was saying Stojko was gay years ago.
- Has anybody noticed how the 2011 Stars on Ice cast is all the homophobes with no gays? I knew there was going to be a Johnny Weir backlash, but this is bordering on civil action territory.
- The Anschutz family are behind the evil.
- Is Charlie White straight? He''s dating Tanith Belbin at the moment.
- Isn''t Tanith a little bit older than Charlie? \
Wow, the women are boring this year. Carolina Kostner? Please. Rachel, another please. \
What about the German pairs team. I''m glad they didn''t retire after Vancouver. Are they a couple?
- why is Patrick Chan evil?\
I saw Jeffrey Buttle on church street once and said hello....he took off like a rocket once I mentioned his skating.
- "Isn''t Tanith a little bit older than Charlie?"\
Yes, but it''s not unusual to see an older woman with a younger man today. Look at the Ashton/Demi thing.
- Patrick Chans parents are a big part of the problem. \
They demand he be treated like a God, even though he has never won a World Gold. They pushed Skate Canada to butch up the sport. Patricks coach quit, 6 weeks before the Olympics and the only coach he can get now, is his choreographer. That tells you a lot about what it is like being around him and his parents.\
Patrick Chan also mocked Johnny Weirs costume at the 2010 Olympics.\
Skate Canada always grossly over scores Chan too, which makes him even worse.
- Chan is a hot power bottom though.
- Charlie White one of the few actual straight figure skaters.\
If I had to pick a mo who was going to take on Skate Canada, I would pick Paul Poirier. He is still young and learning, but this guy is not by nature, what you would call a "fraidy cat" (like Buttle). \
The Dyke side is strong in Paul and one of these days, he is going to directly stand up to Skate Canada, more so than Johnny Weir, who is more of a passive aggressive Rebel.
- Here is wishing Fairyme Abbott the best at the Rostelecom Cup in Russia. May he beat the Evil Chan.
- Skate Canada obviously can''t get rid of Paul Poirier for being gay since he and his skating partner are the top Canadian dance team right now with Virtue & Moir out.\
Paul and Vanessa are likely to be the next stars of Canadian skating.\
He seems like a gentle, easy-going guy though. Is he openly gay?
- I don''t think they get rid of anybody, that could expose them to a human rights charter challenge. They just suggest how much better your life would be if you left competitive skating and they over hype your competitors to convince you that your winning was a fluke and was not likely to happen again.
- Fucking Elvis Stojko;s hairy bubble butt makes me HARD!
- Has Rockne Brubaker skated this season yet?
- I don''t seem so bad now, do I?
- Who is that girl at 42? Is she one of the Christian homophobes in figure skating? Rachel Flatt? I know that is not Michelle RepubliKwan.\
US Figure Skating came to the financial rescue of the Stars on Ice franchise last year. So I''m guessing there are a few homophobes, beyond Scott Hamilton. Anybody have the details?\
The Evangelical Canadian PM, Stephen Harper, will not be in power forever. So when the Conservatives are kicked out, then, maybe, somebody, will go after Skate Canada''s government funding.
- sure he is R36. And Leif Garrett is just aching to fall in love with a teenage girl like you.
- What are you smoking R45? Everybody on this board wants Abbott to win over Chan. Support the family! Who is Leif Garrett?
- At the Russian Grand Prix event this morning, Chan fell but still came in first in the short, 4 points ahead of second-place Jeremy Abbott. Chan may have landed a quad, though; I haven''t read a detailed account of the event.\
Rockne Brubaker has not skated in any of the Grand Prix events this year. After last season, he split with his former partner Keauna McLaughlin (who will be one of the "pros" on ABC''s Skating With the Stars). Therefore, I believe he and his new partner will need to go through sectionals to earn a place at US Nationals. After competing at Nationals in Jan., 2011, they''d qualify for consideration to be placed in some of next year''s Grand Prix events.
- Rockne is the hottest skater in U.S. skating and has a huge ass.
- skate bump
- Thomas Verner beat the Evil Chan in Russia. I was hoping for Fairyme Abbott, who only got bronze. I don''t think Thomas is family, but who knows. If he is, I am morally obligated to support him too.
- Chan fell three times and still beat Abbot by ten points. It''s absurd. Verner''s tacky Michael Jackson tribute was the best skate of the day though.
- Tomas Verner is rumored to be gay.\
And so why didn''t Abbott place ahead of Chan?
- Abbott himself fell twice and made little mistakes throughout his long program. Still, Chan was overmarked(first place) in the short despite being one of only two skaters that fell during their short program.
- Well if Abbott fell, I''m not surprised at his placing then. If you are going to have a shot at overcoming the preferential treatment for Chan, you can''t fall or the judges will use that to give the edge to Chan.
- Former figure skater here!\
Figure skating costs on average 20k a year if you''re competitive. It shouldn''t be any surprise that wealthy conservatives push this sport on their children.\
A ton of the skating coaches are alcoholics and cokeheads, especially the one''s I trained with in Chicago. \
Evan Lysachek needs to come out! Used to practice with him, he''s a really nice kid though.\
Is it a homophobic sport? Ironically, yes. \
Did it take a huge part in helping me come to terns with being gay? Yes.
- "Evan Lysachek needs to come out! Used to practice with him, he''s a really nice kid though."\
Did you see him hitting on guys? Did he have a boyfriend?
- 1. Everybody on the planet knows Evan Lysacek is gay. \
2. Figure Skating is a rich kids sport. No question.\
3. Figure Skating is a Republican sport too.
- I thought Nicole Bobek was gay.
- The reality is, 99% of male single skaters are gay in real life. About 50% of other male skaters are also gay in real life. \
Figure Skating is a gay sport, like Basket ball is a black sport. The difference, is the NBA doesn''t have a problem with it.
- I''d love to fuck Chan''s tight hole!
- The tactics used to destroy the credibility of politically volatile threads on DL is most interesting. It starts with a request to change the topic, next accuses posters of being trolls, then finally, saturates the thread with pornographic vulgarities, hoping at each step, people will get turned off the thread. In some cases it actually works, but not in serious cases of Homophobic Discrimination like we are seeing at Skate Canada and in figure skating judging, R61.\
Skate Canada is actively trying to flush gays out of figure skating and has the silent support of the USFSA and the ISU. History will not treat these folks kindly.
- [quote]2. Figure Skating is a rich kids sport. No question.\
Exactly. Which is why skaters like Harding had to go out there and really win it. They loathed her athleticism.
- You post the same inaccurate shit on all of the figure skating threads R1.
[quote]The Figure Skating Hall of Fame is in Colorado Springs, CO. home of the Evil Dr. James Dobson and his anti-gay group, Focus on the Family.
It was there many years before Focus on The Family became a well known presence in Colorado Springs and probably has more to do with the Broadmoor training facility being there then anything else.
[quote]Christian Televangelist Pat Robertson used to own the company which is now Stars on Ice.
Pat Robertson NEVER owned STARS ON ICE. For a very brief period of time he owned the ICE CAPADES which he bought from Dorothy Hamill after she went bankrupt. He had zero involvement with it and unloaded it less then a year after it was purchased. The show was bleeding $$$ badly and folded.
[quote]2. Figure Skating is a rich kids sport. No question.
Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Scott Hamilton, Nancy Kerrigan, Debi Thomas, Linda Fratianne, and Todd Eldredge among others did not come from big $$$. Linda's mother infamously sued her dad for back child support after the 1980 Olympics, her dad was a district judge and basically said he was broke from paying for Linda's training.
- R64 is right that it''s not just a rich kids sport. There are some who come from rich families, but many who don''t.\
Lots of figure skaters have to work part-time jobs and borrow money from relatives in order to afford it.
- If coaching and ice time cost $20,000 a year you cam be damn sure the parents don''t work at Walmart.
- What''s the deal with Chan''s wonky eyes? It seems like one pupil is always drifting in some other direction from the other. He also has weird dents on his face. Was he in an accident at an early age?
- Scott Hamilton does currently own Stars on Ice. \
Scott Hamilton speaks on Pat Robertson''s 700 Club, Christian TV show. \
Here is one, of many Scott Hamilton clips from Pat Robertson''s 700 Club.
- Scott Hamilton does not own STARS ON ICE. \
Pat Robertson has zero affiliation with figure skating.
- Paul Wylie has gayface for days and days.
- Paul Wylie has pocket gay height for years.
- r68 says the same thing about Gloria Estefan. *wink*
- "East Company from 1977 to 1984, bought Ice Capades assets in a bankruptcy sale and attempted to revive the company with the critically acclaimed Frozen in Time: Cinderella on Ice, but attendance figures remained stagnant. In February 1995 they sold the company for $10 million to television evangelist Pat Robertson''s International Family Entertainment Inc."
- Why did you feel the need to edit the wikipedia entry R73?\
Here is the CORRECT notation:\
[quote]In 1993, Dorothy Hamill, who headlined the East Company from 1977 to 1984, bought Ice Capades assets in a bankruptcy sale and attempted to revive the company with the critically acclaimed Frozen in Time: Cinderella on Ice, but attendance figures remained stagnant. In February 1995 she sold the company for $10 million to television evangelist Pat Robertson''s International Family Entertainment Inc., but they announced plans to sell in August 1995, and Ice Capades went out of business a short time later.\
Slate magazine article linked.
- I didn''t edit it R74. I didn''t include the entire entry because it was only to respond to the incorrect information posted by R69, claiming Pat Robertson has zero affiliation with Figure Skating, which I have now proven wrong. \
Why do you try to make it into something it is not? \
Next step, why Stars on Ice (US) didn''t hire Johnny Weir again this year, but hired his two adversaries, Kurt Browning and David Pelletier, who have both made homophobic comments about Weir. Also, why Smuckers is a major Republican donor. Are you going to call me a liar and give me the opportunity to link you wrong again?
- Perhaps r74 has financial intere$t$ in this subject, which skews his/her mind.
- David Pelletier is hardly one to talk about moral issues considering his history of adultery.
- COME ON!!!! He even stands like a mo!
- Since when is gay a moral issue? Is being black or female a moral issue? R77?
- R80, I meant that if Pelletier objects to Weir being gay because HE thinks it is immoral, it would be hypocritical considering he has cheated on both his wives and has questionable morality himself.
- [quote]Who is that girl at 42?\
How soon we forget.
Now starring on "World''s Dumbest..." on TRU-TV
- I see this as a generational thing. \
The Baby Boomers are in control of figure skating and the companies that still sponsor it. Boomers are not pro-gay, look at their public voting records for proof. Next up is the Gen-Xers. They are a mixed bunch, some are pro-gay, some are anti-gay. Add to all of this, the backwards countries, now players in figure skating (South Korea in particular) and the fundamentalist Christian backbone that seems to be part of this world.....well things don''t look good anytime soon.\
I think the figure skating gays need to hook up with some show business type gays and work together to roll over all the bigots. Maybe Johnny Weir will bring some of his new celebrity contacts back to figure skating and reinvent skating shows for the new century, under "family" control this time!
- R82, that "girl" in the purple has man boobs. Is that even a women?
- [quote]I didn't edit it [R74]. I didn't include the entire entry because it was only to respond to the incorrect information posted by [R69], claiming Pat Robertson has zero affiliation with Figure Skating, which I have now proven wrong.
You're still wrong. It was Pat's son that bought it and unloaded it quickly and is irrelevant to the discussion. Pat Robertson's company's brief ownership of the long defunct Ice Capades has zero relevance to the discussion of homophobia in figure skating.
You are an idiot R76.
[quote]I think the figure skating gays need to hook up with some show business type gays and work together to roll over all the bigots. Maybe Johnny Weir will bring some of his new celebrity contacts back to figure skating and reinvent skating shows for the new century, under "family" control this time!
The U.S. market for figure skating has been dwindling for years. First the oversaturation of the sport after Tonya/Nancy then the Olympics debacle in 02 has hurt the sport. The bigger $$$ is in Japan but they have their own stars. It's not the crown jewel that it was at the Winter Olympics that it used to be. Who was the bigger star of the games, Shaun White or Evan Lysacek. Other then DWTS and Ice Shows you don't see Evan doing all that much.
- Because of homophobia R85. Gays would support figure skating if there was anything to support. Smuckers and the Anschutz Crime Family won''t be underwriting it forever.%0D
- Praise the Lord Jesus Christ R85!!!
- Is Chan a top or bottom?
- [quote]If coaching and ice time cost $20,000 a year you cam be damn sure the parents don't work at Walmart.
Ever hear of sponsors or benefactors? Both of Scott Hamilton's parents were teachers but a rich couple helped finance his athletic career. Todd Eldridge's parents took out a second mortgage on their home. George Steinbrenner helped out Tonya Harding financially.
[quote]Because of homophobia [R85]. Gays would support figure skating if there was anything to support. Smuckers and the Anschutz Crime Family won't be underwriting it forever.
Really? Did you read the vicious comments people left about Johnny Weir here during the Olympics. Skating's big audience is old queens and fraus. I don't see much news about figure skating on very many gay oriented sports boards.
U.S. skating as a whole sucks right now. No female or pairs stars and only one up and coming male skater (I doubt Evan or Johnny will try for Sochi in 2014) and a few solid dance teams. Looking at the SOI lineup more then a few of those skaters need to be put out to pasture (Browing, Weiss, and Eldredge). Weiss and Eldredge weren't exciting to watch as amateurs and even less so as pros. Katia needs to think about hanging it up as well. Judging by the empty seats at many of the SOI shows now days, a lot of people just aren't interested in watching figure skating or paying the high ticket prices for these shows anymore.
At this stage in the game, I don't see what either Boitano or Dick Button have to lose by coming out of the closet.
- Old Fraus mostly, some rural, fangirl tweenies under parental escort.\
Look at the audience demographics in the photos. 90% female, most 50ish. The only queens that still go to these events are coaches and their boyfriends or skaters boyfriends. Beyond that, it is all female.\
If there is a gay male at a figure skating event today, is is because they personally know one of the competitors.\
There are no Dykes in figure skating. Obviously, because they would be screaming mad and tearing up the place right now. When Dan Savage recommend that people buy "Stars on Ice" tickets and throw rock salt on the Ice during performances, nobody did it. You know why? Because there are no Dyke figure skating fans.
- Is Brian Joubert gay?
- Brian Joubert messed around with guys when he was younger. But he doesn''t classify himself as gay and will likely marry a women eventually.
- "Brian Joubert messed around with guys when he was younger."\
How do we know this?
- Miss France came out as tranny, r94.
- Because the sport is homophobic R90 and R91. If it embraced gays, they would come. You can''t say gays not coming is why the sport is homophobic because there was a time when the queens couldn''t get enough of Misha Petkevich and Tim Woods.%0D
- Figure Skating told Gays to hit the road, you are scaring off all the straight guys. It is that simple.\
They only have themselves to blame for the collapse in numbers.
- [quote]Because the sport is homophobic [R90] and [R91]. If it embraced gays, they would come. You can''t say gays not coming is why the sport is homophobic because there was a time when the queens couldn''t get enough of Misha Petkevich and Tim Woods.\
Or maybe gays, like most other Americans could give two shits about figure skating, or like most people have a passing interest in it every four years at the Olympics. I doubt most gays even know that figure skating has homophobic people involved in it.
- There are always people like R97 and R98 thinking up excuses for homophobia. The sooner both of you are dead the better off the world will be.%0D
- Figure Skating is rife with homophobia today. Anybody who does not see that... well, is the problem and/or working for Stars on Ice or Skate Canada.
- R99 you''re deranged and a freak. You obviously have ZERO READING COMPREHENSION SKILLS and are frankly too stupid to live. "Excuses for homophobia"? More like FACTS about a sport that has been in decline for many years in the U.S. and MANY of those reasons have nothing to do with homophobia. Psst.... not all gays like the same things, nor are they all alike, and nor do they support anything and everything because it was "embraced by the gays." Figure skating has always been seen as a gay sport and nothing will ever change that. \
Young PEOPLE in general aren''t going to the same boring routines, musical choices, and a group of performers that have zero star appeal or charm. Unless it''s a Disney On Ice show, most kids that are at SOI shows only go because they were dragged there by there mothers or grandmothers. \
Seek help, R99.
- " I''m Sharon Angle''s gunt masseuse! "
- R99/102=FAIL. You have already used that one hon.
- r103 = MASSIVE FAIL! YOU have also use that word before, dear.\\t
- " I lap up Christine O''Donnell''s qweef splatter!"
- R104/105 try again sweetie and try and be more original. The fact that you can''t defend your own points is a MASSIVE FAIL and just shows how fucked up and crazy you are.
- Figure Skating is Obsolete. It is a station wagon in the world of CUVs.\
Stars on Ice is a show of living Dinosaurs.\
The only Gays figure skating still has, are the 1950s era closet cases, like Brian Boitano and Jef Billings.
- r106, \
We don''t care about your little girl fight. Now go pull each others hair in the corner, hon.
- Is somebody trying to saturate this thread with a teenage girl back and forth to take away from the very serious topic being discussed here? Sounds like a PR attempt to nuke the thread to me.\
We will have to create several new threads on Homophobia in Figure Skating. Titled by the organizations and people who are the worse offenders.
- R108 dear stop clearing your cookies and find another thread to troll you're unoriginal and boring.
[quote]Is somebody trying to saturate this thread with a teenage girl back and forth to take away from the very serious topic being discussed here? Sounds like a PR attempt to nuke the thread to me.
Oh please don't delude yourself.You just said it yourself at R107 figure skating has become obsolete. Unless there is another Tonya/Nancy, or someone that has the starpower of Fleming or Hamill, then it's not going to pick up popularity anytime soon. Kids and young people don't want to see 3 different Carmen programs, nor do most people understand the scoring system that awards points for uncompleted jumps, shitty spins and footwork because they had a higher degree of difficulty over a skater that had a clean program and completed their elements.
If American figure skating wasn't stagnant or boring, maybe there would be more interest in the stories of homophobia, but as of right now it's a sport that is largely ignored by the sports media.
- r110 please step away from the paranoia buffet.
- Because you won''t stop with your RAGE-O-HOLIC bullshit it''s FF to you R110.
- The Third Sex
- R111/112 once you move out of your mother''s basement and develop a little bit mentally then maybe people will take you seriously. \
Straight men will never be an audience for figure skating. \
The American market is dwindling for figure skating. The big market is now Japan.\
You rarely read anything about figure skating in the sports press or even the gay press. Some of the allegations of homophobia may have been looked at a little more seriously, had the issue not been reduced by Johnny and Even to a name calling catfight. \
Seats are empty at professional and amateur level competitions and have been for years, homophobia isn''t the cause. The sport is boring now, partially because of the old school codgers that are in leadership positions, and partially because the new scoring system took away the uniqueness that a lot of skaters showed on the ice. \
The SOI shows aren''t designed to appeal to a younger audience, it''s your granny''s figure skating show now.
- Jef Bilings is the Roy Cohn of Figure Skating World and one of the people behind Smuckers continued refusal to hire Johnny Weir.
- Japan is not a homophobic country R114. Nice try, but you have explained nothing. There is no "natural homophobia" in figure skating. It comes from a few rich people imposing their hate on an entire sport.%0D
- Smuckers alone R116? Or are there more?
- [quote]Japan is not a homophobic country [R114]. Nice try, but you have explained nothing. There is no "natural homophobia" in figure skating. It comes from a few rich people imposing their hate on an entire sport.\
R116=comprehension challenged retard. There was nothing in that post that had anything to do with whether or not Japan is homophobic. All all figure skating fans morons like you. Maybe that is why people don''t take you seriously. \
Figure skating is huge in Japan right now because they have a number of top level skaters and are considered superstars over there. \
[quote]There is no "natural homophobia" in figure skating. It comes from a few rich people imposing their hate on an entire sport.\
You really should pull your head out of your ass before you type.
- And you should stop making apologies for homophobia. It''s all of a pattern with the same right-wing trolls who banned back flips because they wanted to preserve "artistry" against "athleticism" and ended up getting neither. They need gays more than anyone needs them.%0D\
Weir is a case in point. He didn''t give fuck all about their "system."%0D\
Find a gayling with more balls and you will get even better results.%0D
- " I''m a PEDO! "
- I agree that the homophobia in figure skating is driven by aging executives and board members. Johnny Weir is the biggest PR opportunity that show skating has today yet Stars on Ice continues to hire Todd Eldredge and Michael Weiss? Sasha Cohen? \
What are they doing to keep the 65 year old women awake during the Ice shows this year?
- R120 is a troll that was banned from another forum and has been posting this shit for years. It's not 2001 anymore, time to move on.
[quote]And you should stop making apologies for homophobia. It's all of a pattern with the same right-wing trolls who banned back flips because they wanted to preserve "artistry" against "athleticism" and ended up getting neither. They need gays more than anyone needs them. Weir is a case in point. He didn't give fuck all about their "system." Find a gayling with more balls and you will get even better results.
You're making zero sense. Backflips were banned almost 40 years and had nothing to do with politics. Gays aren't going to flock to a sport because some of the participants in it are gay. I haven't seen a large group of gay men show up at US Nationals or any other competition because Johnny Weir was there. Homophobia or not, you aren't going to attract anyone to a show that is the modern day version of the Lawrence Welk show.
The sport and the athletes are boring right now, and the leadership and judging is still filled with corruption. Unless you fix that you will never come close to addressing or be able to get rid of the homophobic elements in the sport.
- I like the Lawrence Welk Show comparison.
- But Johnny Weir wasn''t out R122. Certainly he had fans, rather crazy ones, here on datalounge and around the world. SO if you didn''t see any gays following him, you weren''t looking.%0D\
They can attract people. Your problem is you hate figure skating period, so you want it to die and take all those nelly closet homosexual with it. Circuses used to be a tired "family" entertainment that only old people and little children watched too. And now they are a big and glamorous business again. Save us your bullshit and give us homosexuals and tell the Anschutz family and Smuckers to shove it up their ass.%0D\
- What skating needs is a Cirque de Soleil and they aren''t going to get it from a self-loathing little shitheads like Brian Boitano or Wylie or David Pelletier.%0D
- Still less from Patrick Chan''s goons.%0D
- Gay men are figure skating. Without them, figure skating dies. \
Witness what is happening in Canada right now. They are holding their International comps in 3rd tier towns, like Kingston pop 117,000, because they can''t afford the big city venues. Still mostly empty seats in Kingston. Their Corporate sponsor (HomeSense) left. Chan only gets media when Skate Canada buys it, he is probably the most despised male skater in the world today (FSU for proof). Yet, there is no sign of them changing anything.\
When Bank of Montreal leaves Skate Canada, they will be holding comps in peoples backyards.
- only another troll would know that r122. \
- Just die already R128.
R124 you are just fucking insane and are making no sense. Have you been to a figure skating competition or show in the last decade in a half? Attract who? You don't back up any of your points and when you try to you fail miserably. You are full of shit about circuses and what they do to animals is abominable so find something else to compare it with. In the US, figure skating is already dying you nitwit. It lost a huge number of fans after the 2002 Olympics and the scoring system in place now is too confusing for most people to follow. You also appear to have forgotten how saturated TV was with God awful figure skating shows after Tonya/Nancy to the point where it became too much and too stupid.
[quote]But Johnny Weir wasn't out [R122]. Certainly he had fans, rather crazy ones, here on datalounge and around the world. SO if you didn't see any gays following him, you weren't looking.
The VAST majority of them HERE were ripping him to shreds. Try reading comprehension.
Most of Rudy and Johnny's fans are girls, not out gay men. You obviously haven't been around a lot of these skaters, because if you did, gay or not most of them while pleasant enough are boring and don't have the charisma that is now needed to be a huge sports star.
- I am not comfortable with Brian Boitano''s many organizations for kids. A 50 year old "straight" guy who has never been married should not be founding organizations for children.\
Brian Boitano makes my skin crawl, he is like the Michael Jackson of figure skating.
- R129=nutter. If you don''t like the sport, step off the thread and go jerk off to Monster Truck Rallies. But stop saying don''t resist the homophobia.%0D
- R131=fingers himself thinking about rimming Dick Button.
- Skate Canada%E2%80%99s problems are all centered around it%E2%80%99s CEO, William Thompson. Thompson, a Corporate Lawyer from Kitchener, Ontario. He worked in a secondary capacity for Skate Canada until 2006. He was also one of the judges who voted Jeff Buttle the Bronze in Torino 2006. A few weeks after the Torino Olympics, William Thompson took on the position of CEO, on the premise of getting Skate Canada ready for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.
In 2007, Brian Orser decided to create his own Pride Run Team, the Silver Bullets, to raise money for Charity. Brian has run on other teams in previous years, but this year he was going to start his own team. He got the support of the competitive skaters from Doug Leigh%E2%80%99s, Mariposa Skating School in Barrie, Ontario. This School has the biggest Olympic medal count, by far, of any School Skating School in Canada. 3 Mariposa Skaters signed up, Jeff Buttle, Chris Mabee and Joey Russell. This created a backlash from the conservative skating moms. Buttles agency, IMG, didn%E2%80%99t like it either. William Thompson made his first mistake here. He decided to run for Jeff Buttle, instead of letting Jeff fight his own battles. Jeff was sent to last minute training in California. Thompson ran. It was not suppose to happen this way.
In doing this, William Thompson opened up an explosion of homophobia behind the doors of Canadian figure skating including, coaches, board members and a lot of screaming from Patrick Chan%E2%80%99s parents. In June 2008, William Thompson ran again, but it was aggressively hidden from the conservatives. No Skate Canada mention was ever made of Orser%E2%80%99s PrideRun team.
Over the summer of 2008, Skate Canada had the discussion that really messed things up. They decided to give into the conservative parents & coaches and launched the Skate Canada %E2%80%9CTough%E2%80%9D campaign to re-brand figure Skating as a straight male sport. They had the aggressive support of many heterosexual skaters like Kurt Browning, David Pelltier, among others. The new Director of Marketing hired, was Debbie Wilkes, the occasional CBC figure skating reporter and technical analyst. She had little marketing or public relations experience for such a grand title at such a strategic time. This was William Thompson%E2%80%99s second big mistake.
In September of 2008, %E2%80%9CTough%E2%80%9D was introduced to the skaters. Jeff Buttle and Chris Mabee, the Gold and Silver Medalists, quit. The %E2%80%9CTough%E2%80%9D campaign may have been a contributing factor, but there were other reasons. Patrick Chan has beaten Buttle at nationals in 2008 but Buttle won worlds Gold the same year. Jeff was convinced by many, but mostly Kurt Browning to retire. Jeff knew that Patrick Chan was already the chosen favorite of Skate Canada leaders and he did know he was not the new %E2%80%9CTough%E2%80%9D image they wanted to promote. Jeff is very much a chameleon type and is easy to influence. Chris Mabee left because Jeff left. The smoking gun is that Skate Canada asked Chris Mabee to hold off his official announcement for 3 months, until December. Skate Canada knew at this point, their %E2%80%9CTough%E2%80%9D campaign was causing internal problems.
The US figure skating association was a bit nervous about this, but had unofficially agreed to support Skate Canada in re branding figure skating. They were getting nervous for 3 reasons. 1. Skate Canada losing Buttle and Mabee at the same time. 2. Johnny Weir was unpredictable and potentially militant (which they were right about) and 3.. LGBT rights organizations in the US are in war mode and looking for targets these days.
Part 1 of 2
- Everything seemed to be going down this shady path Ok, when the inexperience of Skate Canada%E2%80%99s new Director of Marketing was exposed. She said %E2%80%9CTough%E2%80%9D in a way that made it sound homophobic. The campaign had always been homophobia driven, but so far, they had kept it from being discussed publicly. Wilkes exposed that. CBC and some Canadian media picked up on it in Jan/February of 2009, but Skate Canada did nothing to reverse it. They denied, denied, denied. Their communications company was Media Profile, a small Toronto firm which had recently retired their founder. Like Debbie Wilkes, Media Profile was out of their experience level.
The accusations of homophobia, were not properly addressed and Skate Canada De-Gaying figure skating threads exploded on the net. Again, it was ignored. The marketing team, lead by the inexperience of Debbie Wilkes, was not social media savvy. They still lived in the old media world of TV and radio. This internet anger spread south of the boarder, where the LGBT community is militarized, including sites like Outsports. Skate Canada ignored it and even convinced the easily manipulated Jeff Buttle to come to their defense.
By the end of April in 2009, US media was getting interested but they needed something concrete, so they got Elvis Stojko, who is much more popular in the USA than in Canada. Elvis is a closeted gay man, but not from fear, like Buttle, but out of self hate. Elvis is also not too bright. ABC News chatted him up, knowing that with enough questions, Elvis would give them a homophobic sound bite, which is why they interview him. Elvis didn%E2%80%99t disappoint. %E2%80%9CWe are not trying to totally obliterate the Gay guys%E2%80%9D. All of a sudden, the few thousands Skate Canada was ignoring became millions. Skate Canada rushed to react, but their PR, Media Profile was way out of their league and unable to get Skate Canada a counter on ABC. All they could do is post a denial on their website, which few read.
Skate Canada denial: 700ish views.
Elvis Stojko saying Skate Canada wants to obliterate gay guys: 23,400,000+ views
At this point, Skate Canada%E2%80%99s publicly shut down. They sent the skaters to LA for a bit of professional media training, but beyond that, they did nothing to improve things, hoping for Olympic medal glory to restore their public image. When Scott and Tessa won and Joannie%E2%80%99s mother died, Skate Canada had what they thought, were tickets to a new future. They still failed to deal with the real problem. They ran away from it.
After the Olympics, Skate Canada CEO, William Thompson demoted Debbie Wilkes and hired Barb MacDonald to be the new Director of Communications. But Barb MacDonalds was the communications person for an Ottawa based Evangelical Christian group, fighting against gay equality. William Thompson never considered it or was indifferent to it. That was his third major mistake. Under pressure, Barb left her official capacity at One Way Ministries, but it was semantics, she is still involved, but in a low visibility role. Nothing real actually changed.
This is the precarious position Skate Canada is in now. They are still giving into the influence of conservative parents with Evangelical Christian Director and continuing to re brand the sport for straight males, even though, they know their entire mens singles Olympic medal count is 100% by gay men. It is all going to blow up again, because it was never addressed properly. As time passes and the general public level of homophobia wanes, these Skate Canada actions will seem more extreme. History will eventually hang them.
Many of the fans have a bad feeling about this, many also support it. But it has divided figure skating fans in Canada, mostly by generation. Audience numbers are dropping. The ones who stayed, are dying off of old age. The problem is not going away. I don%E2%80%99t think William Thompson is the one who can fix it. He made the mess, but his hiring of Barb Macdonald exposes him as not having the skill to fix it or having a personal agenda.
It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall at the Bank
We ARE watching things south of the 49th
- of Montreal. I worked with their marketing people on joint projects, years ago. I know they, as part of professional protocol and as Skate Canada%E2%80%99s #1 sponsor, have been privately talking about this. BMO leaving won%E2%80%99t be financially significant, but it will be strategically significant, seen as a warning to other potential sponsors.
CBC%E2%80%99s show, Battle of the Blades, reads like a paragraph out of Skate Canada%E2%80%99s %E2%80%9CTough%E2%80%99 Campaign book. With Rich Mercer and Gavin Crawford, I%E2%80%99m guessing that the CBC wants to balance out it%E2%80%99s programming as to not be seen as the %E2%80%9CHomo Network%E2%80%9D. The US won%E2%80%99t pick up an American version of Battle of the Blades, they think swapping out male figure skaters, when their entire 2010 Olympic mens team is gay, is too homophobic.
All and all, figure skating in general is not keeping up with the times. It is more popular in Asia, because Asia is socially 20 years behind the West. That won%E2%80%99t last for 20 more years, social media has compacted the time frame for social change. The economy is in the toilet and will be used as an excuse of convenience. But entertainment products historically skyrocket when times are bad.
Stars on Ice will be slowly bought out by annual cash injections from the USFSA. IMG looks at them like GM looks at Congress. De-Gaying figure skating means turning away gay creativity, which is exactly what figure skating needs to salvage it from the same fate as the dinosaurs. Skate Canada CEO, William Thompson does not see that and therefore remains the biggest threat to figure skating for the 21st century, in North America, as the USFSA is currently void of leadership and run by accountants.
Figure skating competitions will always be held, so what we are taking about, is the size of the audience watching. Will the audience of future be sitting in stadium seats or lawn chairs?
went to 3 of 3 due to DL post limitations
- Stojko is a closet case circa Ted Haggard.
- Sounds like Wm. Thompson was not an incompetent but a wedge for the evangelicals.
- Patrick Chan got many times the support and promotion from Skate Canada as Jeffery Buttle. Even though Jeffrey won the World Championship in 2008 and an Olympic medal, while Patrick Chan won neither.\
Talk about discrimination!!! Jeffrey should have filed a complaint with the Human Rights Board.
- iSports media, in Toronto, is a big driver of this. They are the ones who came up with the idea of replacing all the male figure skaters with hockey players on the show, Battle of the Blades.\
The only figure skater iSports promotes, is Patrick Chan.
- In terms of Patrick Chan, the year Patrick and Jeffrey competed against one another (it was only one year) Jefferey was already Olympic Bronze Medalist and making money through endorsements and skating shows.\
Patrick was just up and coming and had neither. So more funding was allocated to Patrick, because Jefferey was bringing in his own funding.\
The single year Jeff and Patrick competed against one another, Patrick Beat Jeff at Nationals. Yet Jeff turned around winning world, and retired shortly after.
- Skate Canada made a commercial for Patrick Chan. They never did that for Jeff Buttle, even though Jeff was the World Champion. McDonalds also did a commercial for Patrick Chan only. \
So much for the promote your World Champion philosophy every other sports organizations in the world abides by. This was such a gregarious act of discrimination, in favour of Patrick Chan against Jeff Buttle. A Canadian Human Right Panel complaint should have been filed and may have been, if EGALE didn''t wimp out.\
iSports was founded by Ex-IMG people. You know, the ones who wouldn''t hire Johnny Weir to do Stars on Ice because he is not "Family Friendly". So you know where all this comes from.
- I realize that there are a lot bigger problems in the world than figure skating, but really, why hasn''t this been made into a campaign? Why isn''t Skate Canada''s hide nailed to a wall? \
I thought Canada was soooo much better at social issues than the US. What kind of fuckery are they being allowed to get away with?
- Cute 9-year-old girl skates to Willow Smith''s "Whip My Hair Back and Forth"
- Some of you posters truly need psychiatric help.
- R144=Patrick Chan''s mother. Your kid is no good, he always chokes.%0D
- If the Haus Frau at R144 has any evidence that R133-135 post is incorrect in any way - post it or STFU!
- Does anyone know anything about Ice dancer Paul Poirier? He''s obviously gay. Does he have a boyfriend?\
He has a beautiful ass.
- R147....Andrew Doleman
- Paul and Andrew are a couple?
- "Couple" is such a hetero thing in amateur sports. Lets leave it as messed around. Even though Jeffrey Buttle was a "couple" with Andrew Hallam, he still messed around (Sandhu, Andrev), lusted for anyone 3 inches or more taller than him. Johnny Weir and Stephane Lambiel (also Lysacek) messed around, but I wouldn''t call them couples. Maximo Scali messed around from day 1, on Jeremy Abbott, who got really pissed off because he thought they were a couple, but couples don''t exist on the gay side of amateur sports, unless they are showbiz couples arranged by the agencies, like Lysacek and his female of the month. Too many options are available combined with the extreme libido of competitive athletes.
- Is Paul Poirier a bottom?\
Has anyone fucked that tight 19 year old hole?
- I think history will really crush Skate Canada.
1. They forced the new COP judging system on the ISU, because Skate Canada thought Sale-Pelletier were underscored. The fans fled the sport, because few understand it now.
2. They then, forced their "Tough" Campaign on figure skating and were accused of homophobia by the biggest American new organizations, which they barely responded to. Losing even more fans.
3. They put their entire promotional budget into Patrick Chan. Patrick Chan, who is grossly over scored, has spawned a new term, Chan-flation. Losing even more fans and becoming hypocrites for promoting the corrupted judging, they bitched about in 2002. They just switched the judging system out, to favor Canadians.
4. They hired an anti-gay Evangelical Christian Director of Communications (Barb MacDonald) who they think will be able to undo all of this.
Skate Canada has done more damage to figure skating in the last 8 years, than all other ISU members combined. History will hold them accountable. Asia will pick up the sport and figure skating will become like Ping-Pong, all because of Skate Canada.
- Anyone else a fan of Paul Poirier''s butt?
- Paul''s butt:
- Paul''s butt:
- Not impressed at all R151, 153,154,155. I''m sure Paul is a nice guy, his face is his best feature, not his butt. Too squared off.\
By far..... the most attractive guy in figure skating is Stephane Lambiel. He alone, gets the top 5 spots. Then slipping in others Charlie White or Brian Joubert.\
For the ugliest award, many, many nominees qualify. Figure skating is not known for the best looking guys, lots of hobbit like creatures: Stojko, Boitano, Hamilton, Browning.... just getting started here....Evan Lysa...yuck! (I wish Evan would stop pretending to like girls and actually join the straights)
- R156, Paul has a great ass, those just don''t happen to be the best shots of it
- So how does Johnny Weir officially coming out impact all of this?
- News from Colorado Springs, the home of US Figure Skating............\
"The Colorado Springs, Colo., Catholic diocese has launched its own chapter of a 12-step program for people with unwanted same-sex attraction, The Gazette of Colorado Springs reports. \
"Twelve Steps of Courage" is modeled after the structure of Alcoholics Anonymous. Instead of focusing on addiction, however, program participants admit they are powerless over their same-sex attraction and promise to "make amends to those they''ve hurt," TheGazette reports. The program has 110 chapters internationally.\
%E2%80%9CIt%E2%80%99s not about therapy and not about activism,%E2%80%9D the Reverend Larry Brennan, diocese director of priest formation, said of the Colorado Springs chapter. %E2%80%9CIt%E2%80%99s about support."\
Is anybody super suspicious of why they made Colorado Springs the Figure Skating HQ?
- Are the National Championships this weekend?
- US Nationals are next weekend. Jeremy Abbott usually would be able to take it with no real competition, but he is getting very - long in the tooth. Many others, at his age, would have retired after the Olympics. Adam Rippon will eventually take the US title, but Abbott may still have 1 last fight left. Abbott does very well on US soil, very poorly outside the US (or Canada as he won Gold in Canada last year). Brandon Mroz is a lazy, basket case. If he even came close to winning, the USFSA would give him the gold, but he can't even come close enough to make that shady move plausible. What happened to Stephen Carriere? He was a cutie :(
Canadian Nationals are this weekend. As the tradition in the last 3 years, Canada will be giving the Gold to Patrick Chan, but he has decided to show up anyways. Any guesses on the Chan-Flation numbers this year? Poirier/Crone (because on DL, the pretty one goes first) will win Gold. Hopefully they will keep the title in 2012, when Virtue/Moir return.
Apparently there are girls skating in these competitions too.
- .........Patrick Chan scored 101.72 in his short program and 205.09 in the long program, at the 2011 Canadian Nationals in Victoria, BC. Although he fell 7 times and doubled 2 quads, his foot work was exceptional, giving him the highest score ever in figure skating and securing him as the best skater in all of human history. Skate Canada CEO, William Thompson was thrilled with the audience turn out, saying they were only 2,555 seats short of selling out the 3,000 seat venue. You can watch skating live at 2:00 pm Saturday, between %E2%80%9CThings I stick up my nose%E2%80%9D and %E2%80%9CCanada%E2%80%99s Great Road Signs%E2%80%9D. Courtesy of the Canadian taxpayer funded CBC TV network, hosted by Kurt %E2%80%9CNo Q-Weirs%E2%80%9D Browning and PJ %E2%80%9CFlowers are pretty%E2%80%9D Kwong............
- "Poirier/Crone (because on DL, the pretty one goes first) will win Gold."\
Paul Poirier is hot. And gay. And only 19.\
He is so cute.
- Kurt Browning is gay. When he is not burning down houses he is flaming around arenas! His 15 minutes was up long ago. Talk about someone who is desperate to be loved by the public. This guy forgets that he let his country down because he could not land jumps in competition when it mattered.
- Very funny, R162. Thanks!
- Does Brian Joubert have a boyfriend?
- Browning is not gay, however the way he bitches about Johnny Weir, I can understand how people would think that. Maybe he experimented with guys when he was a teen.
Michael Weiss was also a big anti-Weir fanatic. I wouldn't be surprised if Weiss was the main reason why Smuckers refused to hire Weir.
David Pelletier doesn't ping at all, so I don't know why he hates Weir so much.
Patrick Chan attacks or avoids everyone, he is just an arrogant SOB (Chinese Princess). How long can it be before he slices the leg tendons of his competitor?
Jeremy Ten is sitting this one out due to injury. I wish he would just stand up to be counted as family and stay clear of Chan. This is a race versus "family" struggle for Jeremy.
Kevin Reynolds needs to move to Mariposa. Joanne has hit a wall with him, just like she did with Sandhu.
Adam Rippon needs to stop having so much fun in Toronto and get serious. He has the talent.
Canada doesn't have any media draw with T&S gone, but that matters little, because Ice Dance never pulls in the big numbers or ever will. It is Singles that draws the audiences, well used to anyways.
Figure Skating is in for some lean years in North America, expect homosexuals to be blamed (again and repeatedly) for this (directly and indirectly), because if we could only return to the boom years of Battle of the Brians, people would come back right? ;)
- I don''t know if Browning is gay, but there are clues that he could be. He often comments on how hot some of the male figure skaters are, and claims that it''s his wife who told him to say that.\
He has said Brian Joubert is a "stud" and said Charlie White is handsome.
- Is Frank Carroll gay?
- Yes, R169.\
It''s pretty obvious that he''s an old queen.
- R167, Kevin is actually a MUCH better skater than Patrick. hell, he landed two nearly flawless quads in his short program! Patrick Chan has struggled with his quads for a long time, and gets more points than Kevin even if he falls! Too bad this sport is full of corruption and buying results. It''s sad. Kevin Reynolds is an excellent skater, sympathetic too, and yeah, gay. He deserves so much more attention than what he''s getting!
- Second vote for Kevin. Now if he could just lose the Justin Bieber hair style, I would like him even more.
- The adorable Paul Poirier and his partner are in first place after the Ice Dance short program, but only by a small margin.\
Hopefully Paul and Vanessa will finish 1st in the long.\
Anyone tapping Paul''s ass right now?
- Patrick Chan interview: 2:10 on his short program and 1:43 minutes talking about trying to impress a girl in a bar. See the clip on Skate Canada''s website if you really need to.\
That is Skate Canada today! Kevin Reynolds need not even bother to show up. Guys like him don''t win in skating events Canada anymore.
- Here is hoping Canadian skater Joey Russell stays on the mens podium. He is a good person and very marketable, unlike Chan, who has turned off most skating fans due to his attitude, arrogance and the favoritism/over scoring Skate Canada always shows him. Money does not buy fans, nor do Gold medals. Somebody wins Gold every year.
- CBC didn''t even show the other men''s skaters in the short program last night - they only showed Patrick Chan and cut out all the others.
- It doesn%E2%80%99t matter how many Gold medals Patrick Chan wins. If the audience doesn%E2%80%99t respond to him, few tickets will be sold and the interest in mens skating in Canada, will continue to erode. iSport Media, generating fake internet hype and media for him, won%E2%80%99t change anything. \
Skate Canada does not understand this ......yet. It was a mistake to only broadcast Chan on CBC. It fuels ongoing rumours of favoritism.
- R177, you wouldn''t believe the hype Chan is getting in the Canadian media. "Patrick Chan just landed a quad!" I mean, really?!?! he is kinda late, many other skaters have done that before him. I actually hope he fails, and that some other skaters will take over for Chan. Someone who''s actually talented and hopefully gay just to give the finger to Skate Canada.
- I miss Bryce Davison and his butt
- Was it a nice, big butt, R179?\
As for the men''s event, the final standings today were:\
1. Patrick Chan\
2. Shawn Sawyer\
3. Joey Russell\
4. Kevin Reynolds\
I was happy for Shawn and Joey. They skated well and were really emotional to get on the podium.
- Yeah, Patrick''s straight . . .
- Patrick pinged to me a bit in his interview today, but I can''t be sure if he is gay or just a dorky Asian guy.\
Joey Russell, Shawn Sawyer and Kevin Reynolds are obviously gay though.
- i agree - luv Bryce
- Evan Lysacek went to Calvin Klein''s hooker...I mean boyfriends 21st birthday party on Friday.
- Skate Canada is straight now. I have never seen any male figure skater dedicate so much interview time to talk about fictitious girls in a bar scenarios, as Patrick Chan. I could understand if he was actually dating a real girl, but the need to make this stuff up and ramble on about it..... Obviously Skate Canada is encouraging him big time, else the footage wouldn''t have been hyped on Skate Canada site. What a sick organization.\
Jeffrey Buttle is their guilt trap. Athlete Ambassador??? I didn''t notice that title anywhere else in the ISU ;). It sounds made up to me. Why don''t they just call Jeffrey Buttle what he really is, the token homo to distract from Skate Canada''s campaign to flush out gays from figure skating.\
BMO should have abandon Skate Canada 2 years ago. All this is going to come back and haunt BMO in the future. Gay world has a very long memory for this kinda thing. \
"Bank of Montreal helps athletic organization obliterate the gays"
- Last week, I came across an article remembering the 1961 US Skating team that all died in a plane crash.\
From their biographies, it seemed US skating back then was a straight sport
- [quote]From their biographies, it seemed US skating back then was a straight sport\
More like closet cases.
- Ice Network already has 5 photo collections of US junior nationals posted right now and will have complete behind the scene coverage of Seniors, as usual on the day they occur. The Canadian Championships are over and they don''t have one single photo of the event posted. The incompetence driving Skate Canada goes well beyond their campaign to De-Gay figure skating and Skate Canada wonders why nobody knows their skaters? What a joke organization.
- Kevin Reynolds looks like the Son of Chucky with sharp blades attached to his feet. He scares the hell out of me.
- Look south of Canada for hope. Jeremy Abbott and Adam Rippon are different. The whole gays are bad for the sport thing doesn''t work in the USA. Regardless of how many medals Patrick Chan wins, he will still not have the fandom Adam Rippon or Jeremy Abbott have already. Charlie White went to Johnny Weirs book signing, can you imagine the arrogant Patrick Chan ever doing something like that? Never.\
Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano tried the gays are bad thing, but Johnny Weir smacked them down. Smuckers is still on the case though. Maybe Smuckers should link up with Skate Canada. They seem to have the same outlook.\
Jam for Jesus...anyone? Godly Strawberry Jam, Heavenly Peach Jam or Christian Cranberry Jam? Peanut Butter for Pentecostals?
- "Skate Canada is straight now."\
R185, give it a rest. I agree with you that there is discrimination against gays in figure skating, but don''t overplay your hand.\
Most of the rankings at this weekend''s nationals had nothing to do with sexual orientation. Half the winners were gay, afterall.\
Look at how many gays made it onto the podium. Paul Poirier won in dance, and he is gay. Shawn Sawyer and Joey Russell won silver and bronze in men''s, and they are gay.\
And Eric Radford won silver in Pairs, and I think he is gay. Rudi Swiegers who won bronze in Pairs could be gay too. \
And I suspect Andrew Poje who won silver in dance could be gay as well.
- Poje is not gay, but the skating queens lust over him. He is the chosen object of desire behind the scenes of Canadian Skating today. Why him? well let us just say, severe lack of competition.
- Is Rockne or Ryan Bradley gay?
- They''re supposedly both straight, R193.\
They are both hot, Rockne especially. I think the U.S. Nationals is coming up this weekend, so we should create a new thread for it when it''s on.
- Rockne bulges in all the right places
- Do you mean his big butt, R195?
- Among other places
- So he has a big crotch bulge? A big cock?
- So it appears
- Okay, I''ve heard all the stories about Paul Wylie and his evangelical proselytizing, but can anyone provide solid evidence for this? I know he married some heifer, but I also know that he managed to get through Harvard law. Does he really need commentary on figure skating to make a good living? I would like to believe that he has the balls to acknowledge talent, regardless of the sexual identity of the person. Come on, he''s lived through it. If he''s gay, get on with it. If he''s not, can he not find it in himself to judge the skating without the added burden of sexual orientation? Is he that one note?
- I can''t stand Johnny Weir; I think he''s a flaming loudmouth. Maybe if he had medaled at the Olympics and/or placed higher than 3rd at the Worlds, he might have been able to break the barriers he constantly complains about. But he''d rather blame others for his own failings as an athlete and pursue famewhoredom. At this point I think he''d market his own stool samples if it would get him on Wendy Williams.
- R191, thank you. I was just going to ask about Joey Russell. I figured he was gay after that guy from 1G5G said he knew him.
- R189, he may not be very hot, but he is an amazing skater. Sure, he failed at the nationals, but really.. that was the exception. He is the #2 Canadian right now after Patrick Chan.
- Look how MASCULINE Evan looks with Calvin Klein''s gay pornstar/hooker boyfriend!
- Shawn Sawyer is #2 in Canada now, R203
- R204, that birthday cake looks absolutely revolting!
- Does Evan know that guy is a pornstar?
- So is the US Worlds team officially De-Gayed now? 100% free of homo''s? Did the Patricia St. Peter and David Raith, follow Skate Canada''s lead? Is the world of figure skating safe for straight people again?
- Give it up, R208. You ruin your credibility with your anti-gay conspiracies every day.\
Yes, there is anti-gay bias in skating. But the sport is not being cleaned of gays - they are the majority. There would be no one left if they did that.\
The U.S. figure skating men''s team is likely all gay. Bradley pings, and so do Dornbush and Miner.
- I''m a lesbian who used to figure skate. Trust me, I definitely wasn''t out.\
I do wonder about Sasha Cohen.
- [Quote]But the sport is not being cleaned of gays - they are the majority. There would be no one left if they did that.\
LOL. I just found this funny for some reason :)
- The Exhibition Programs are on NBC right now
- "Stars on Ice" is 100% Homo Free this year.\
Smuckers is OK with gays buying their jam, just not OK with gays skating in their Ice Show. They call it "Family Values".
- Virtue & Moir are returning this month at Four Continents. Wonder how they will do against Charlie White & Meryl Davis?
- The USFSA today is Davis/White. Like Skate Canada is Patrick Chan.\
Federations shouldn''t pick favorites, but they do.
- Perhaps not, R215, but on the other hand it''s totally normally for any organization to give the greatest amount of support to its best prospects, is it not?
- I don''t have a problem with Ross Miner being given a Worlds spot over Jeremy Abbott. Jeremy Abbott has had long enough to prove himself and he failed. When Jeremy does well, it is a fluke. Consistency is the thing, that separates the Gold Medal winners from the pack. Most of the senior competitors are capable of winning Gold, if they do their best. Plus, I think Ross is a nice guy in person.\
Tanith Belbin, a Canadian, got President Bush to quick approve her US citizenship, so she could compete in the 2006 Olympics against skaters in the Country to which she was born? She ain''t gettin any Maple Syrup award for that. History has shot people for acts less treasonous.
- R217, it was Democratic Senator Carl Levin of Michigan who fast-tracked Belbin''s U.S. citizenship through the Senate
- I keep hearing that Brian Boitano is gay but I just don''t see it.
- I think Paul Wylie went to Harvard business school, not law school. He worked for Disney for a while and then wound up in Charlotte working for a Billy Graham program. Now he coaches and commentates.
- R218, GW Bush had to personally sign it. Levin presented it to President Bush.\
R220 Paul Wylie is the "Ted Haggard of Figure Skating". Need we say more?
- So is Takahashi gay? Does he have a boyfriend?
- R210, does Sasha Cohen date men? I have never seen her linked with any man nor any photos of Sasha and any man whatsoever.%0D\
Perhaps no men ask her out? %0D\
There is something that seems a little weird or off about her - I don''t mean gayness - I just mean something a little weird about her personality.
- What is your point R221 and how is it relevant to the discussion?
- Is Paul Poirier involved with anyone?
- Sasha once shared an apt. with Evan Lysacek, not that it means anything. I recall reading somewhere that Jenny Kirk (former girlfriend of Evan, before Tanith Belbin) said that it seemed like all the guys she dated turned out to be gay.
- Isn''t Jenny Kirk vastly older than Evan Lysacek?
- Where''s Fedor Andreev these days?
- Jenny Kirk is less than a year older than Evan. Fedor is now competing in ice dance for Russia with Jana Khokhlova.
- Tanith "dated" Evan because she was looking to become an American citizen and it helped her cause. They never actually had sex or really dated. It was for show. \
Evan Lysacek has never had sex with any girl, in spite of all his lying about it. That is why so many people despise Evan Lysacek. Or should we rename him Evan Lies-acek.
- Has Evan had sex with a man?
- R231 back to the FSU now..........
- Smuckers Stars on Ice\
Smuckers Straights on Ice\
no homos allowed!
- Peggy Fleming
- Evan is Bisexual, but I don''t think he''ll ever come out.He had a great friendship with Jeff Buttle, and always thought there was something there.%0D\
Anyone remembers when Stephane Lambiel was dating Carolina Kostner lol...%0D\
Not sure why anyone would say Scott Hamilton is a homophobe? Galindo and Boitano have only good things to say about him .
- Well, I do wonder why Rudy never skated with Stars on Ice. It was nice to see him invited to skate at the recent tribute to American skaters (the one with most of the Olympic medalists, no Michelle Kwan).
- Rudy had a contract with the Michael Collins tour, Champions on Ice.
- The Worlds is coming up in a couple of weeks so maybe we''ll have more to talk about then.
- [quote]Evan is Bisexual, but I don''t think he''ll ever come out.\
No, he''s gay.
- Worlds is in 2 weeks:\
Will Patrick Chan win the world title this year?\
How will Ryan Bradley do in his first competition as American champion?\
Does Brian Joubert still have it, or do people only care about his big butt?
- I think either Patrick Chan or Daisuke Takahashi will win. Bradley will realize that outside of the US, his goofball theatrics, slow spins, and horrible skating technique will not go far. Joubert isn''t a contender in my book. His time was years ago, and his jumps aren''t as consistent anymore. His spins are still subpar and he spends too much time posing.
- "I think either Patrick Chan or Daisuke Takahashi will win."\
That''s not exactly a risky prediction. Takahashi is the current World Champion, and Chan is the silver medalist. Obviously they are the 2 with the best shot at it.\
It would be more interesting if a 3rd man were to pull an upset on both of them.
- There is no 3rd man. The only male skater still in competition, who has laid down a performance that can beat these two, is Jeremy Abbott (at US 2010 US Nationals). The USFSA decided Jeremy is done and effectively ended his career at 2011 Nationals, because Jeremy consistently won''t deliver at International Events.\
I doubt Skate Canada will have any Chanflation power in Tokyo, against Japans World Champion, so Takahashi keeps the World title for 2011.
- Takahashi would like to win on home ice in Japan, yes, but he has not been consistent this season and Chan has already beaten him already this year. If he messes up, he could lose the World Title.
- If Chan wins, interest in figure skating will plummet worldwide. (Like there is much left to fall). Nobody wants a rich, spoiled brat, Johnny Weir (Gay) hating champion. \
Chan''s coach left him 6 weeks before the Olympics because he couldn''t stand being around Chan''s arrogant parents.\
Canadian TV will over hype Chan because he is Chinese and they are desperate for that demographic. They didn''t hype Jeff Buttle, even though Buttle won World Gold and Olympic Bronze. He could barely get a radio interview afterwords, while Chan got National TV coverage and a McDonalds sponsorship as only World Silver Medalist.\
See why so many on DL despise the World of Figure Skating, hence this thread?
- R245, you tend to exaggerate. Many people don''t know enough about Chan to care whether he wins and be turned off if he does.
- Barb McDonald, Skate Canada''s new Director, works for an Ottawa based Christian Organization (One Way Ministries) which promotes a cure for homosexuality. \
I''m guessing the ABC New Story about Skate Canada''s "Tough Campaign" was ignored.
- bump for the unhinged obsessive skating freak troll!
- I''ll be watching to see Brian Joubert''s ass, and that''s about it.
- When do I get to see Ryan Bradley''s plump butt again? Will he be participating in the World Championships? Are the World Championships happening?
- No one knows yet. They were supposed to happen next week, but they''ve been postponed.
- There won''t be a many left watching figure skating now. Lack of any World Championships, really kills cumulative market share.
- Does Paul Poirier have a boyfriend?
- Does that comment from R252 mean that they have cancelled the championships? I''m not exactly tuned in, but the last I head earlier this week is that a few options were being weighed. One was to move them to Moscow in April. Another is to still hold them in Toyko, but in October. %0D\
- No they have not been canceled yet. The ISU hasn''t announced an official decision yet. They are expected to post something on their website tomorrow morning.
- If this is a comeback in Japan Fall Worlds, Dai has to win - it is political.
- So does anyone know whether Paul Poirier''s hole is virgin or not?
- I want Ryan Bradley to bend over for me.
- This weekend''s interview with Paul Poirier - go to the 2:08 mark:
- Is Canadian Womens Champion Jennifer Robinson, still promoting the Evangelical Christian, World Vision Ministries? Last time I heard she was elected as a councilor in Barrie. I see a future Conservative MP in the making. \
Barrie is Scary.
- Is Paul Poirier considered a twink?
- SKATE CANADA is back at it again! This time via proxy through an ex-hockey player Georges Laraque\
APRIL 7th 2011 "It''s the stigma that people have that the only men who go into skating are gay, so he''s trying to make people understand that yeah, there are also straight men."
- It is kinda of ironic that Georges Laraque is a PETA person and PETA boycotts AIDS research. I am wondering why PETA people are so against the gay community? It is the fashion industry domination that they hate so much?
- What''s the latest on Paul Poirier?
- I can''t believe how hypocritical Michael Buckley is for continuing to support this homophobic sport. \
Michael Buckley is the Roy Cohn of Figure Skating.
- All you folks slamming Figure Skating and Canada for being homophobic; why don''t you find Elvis, JFK and Marilyn since they''re all still alive living with Howard Hughes. While you''re at it, help OJ find the real killers and help Scotland Yard with the case to prosecute Queen Elizabeth for killing Lady Diana.\
Find a real cause! Stop bullying in the school yard rather than finding fake bullies on here! \
- Figure Skating still exists in the retro world of Elvis Presley and Marylin Monroe, that is the problem. The world changed and figure skating didn''t. It is not 1959 anymore, but watching a figure skating show and hearing about Skate Canada''s "tough" campaign, you wouldn''t know that.\
R267 you will find others like yourself here:\
Move on now!
- There you go again. I just like skating but you are acting bitterly and seem to look for something evil in every comment.\
For example Peta is against animal testing for any disease. They arent anti gay; in my opinion they''re just wrong- not targeting gays ... Just wrong...in my opinion.\
So Mr or Mrs Free Society, I won''t move on. I believe in equality but not bitterness and launching the 2011 Salem Which Hunt version for the alleged anti-gays.\
We gays, yes I said we, ar no better if we go painting eveyone''s with the same brush.
- I want to see Paul Poirier''s ass getting fucked
- So which figure skaters still promote the anti-gay World Vision ministries? Does Stars on Ice still do the "Give Money to Jesus to Save the Children" thing after every show?
- How come Rudy Gallindo wasn''t ostracized by the skating community the same way that Johnny Weir was? Is it because Weir is a prima donna?
- Why is Michelle Kwan bad?
- Speaking of Canadian figure skaters, who was the cute blond guy who used to skate with a woman back in the 80s?
- R274, are you talking about pairs skater Paul Martini? He and Underhill were 1984 World Champions
- R274, thanks. It was Paul Martini I was trying to remember. I used to have a crush on him back in the day.
- R276, there''s a clip somewhere where Underhill accidentally pulled down his pants during a move on ice and you can see his ass in tight briefs
- The World Championships were pretty good this year, although delayed by the quake in Japan.\
The Americans sucked ass in all the disciplines. Ryan Bradley, that overrated, funny-looking geek skated like shit, helped LOSE a spot for US men on the World team next year, then retired. What a fucking loser! Same with Rachael Flatt, skating on a bum foot when she should have withdrawn so someone else could have gone in her place. Fuck pairs and ice dance. Meryl Davis has a flat, funny-looking bordeline ugly face and I can''t stand her or Charlie...
Tanith Belbin''s Anorexic Doppelganger
- The Bank of Montreal finally fled Skate Canada. They should have left when the ABC World News Story about Skate Canada''s "Tough" campaign broke in April before the Olympics, but because the Olympics were in Canada, they stay longer. Nice to see them finally realize that the homophobia runs deep in Skate Canada. Artistry also fled. My guess is the CEO, William Thompson leaving Skate Canada will be announce at the AGM in P.E.I. this week. \
Remember you heard it here on DL first!
- Didn''t Jennifer Robinson turn down PLAYBOY? She''s very pretty, but her skating was for shit.
- Did that little fundie freak Patrick Chan get raptured?
- Yeah, I bet he had rapture while he was getting BONED in his ass, the little potato queen
- What is a potato queen?
- Scott Hamilton has got to be gay. There''s no way that little ice twirling bottom isn''t gay.
- Paul Martini used to skate to romantic love songs with his skating partner, Barbara, wearing tight blue faded jeans that he looked muscular, beefy, hot, and sexy in.%0D\
It was swoon time.
- Scott could be gay, but he had a very long term girlfriend, and now a long-term wife and two kids that he has biologically fathered.
- R286 Doesn''t mean a thing. Have you ever watched Oprah?
- Yes, R287, I said that Scott might be gay. Can you not read nor interpret what you read?
- Since Skate Canada publicly admitted this month, they knew all along "Tough" was not about attracting new male skaters, that they actually have more now, than in previous years, all the major sponsors have fled Skate Canada, including their major long time sponsor, the Bank of Montreal.\
Maybe the board will dump those responsible, primarily, CEO William Thompson who lead the movement to De-Gay figure skating, but also skater Elvis Stojko, who sparked the ABC story and Jeffrey Buttle, who promoted the new "Tough" campaign for Skate Canada (and who is also the current Canadian spokesperson for World Vision Evangelical Ministries). CBC sports writer, PJ Kwong, is still promoting the male figure skaters are heterosexual propaganda on her blog, so her too. \
Openly gay, 2 time Olympic Medalist, Brian Orser, has still not attended 1 single Skate Canada event since this campaign started in 2008. He attended every one up to this point.\
What a f*ucking mess they have made of things in Canada.
- R288 Can you post without sounding like a complete snatch?
- R283, I think it means an Asian gay male who dates/haves sex with gay white males
- so Patrick Chan is gay?
- Skate Canada realizes it''s Social Conservative values are driving away the big sponsors like Bank of Montreal, HomeSense and T-Fal, so they have now changed their strategy to go after hundreds of smaller sponsors instead.
- I think Chan is gay. Plus he has crazy insect eyes.
- Patrick Chan is the only child of Chinese immigrants. If you know anything about Chinese culture, you would know, Patrick being Gay is not an option.
- He''s got firm and massive thighs....love that.
- Most figure skaters have those, R296 - all the jumps develop the butt and leg muscles. That''s why many skaters have big butts.
- R297, Kurt Browning doesn''t - he''s always had skinny legs. Evan Lysacek looks like a prisoner of war in a Sonja Henie movie. \
OTOH, Brian Joubert has a hot, muscley lower body with a nice bubble butt and incredible looking legs. Stephane Lambiel has long, graceful and shapely gams with good calves.
- Joubert''s ass is definitely one of the nicest of all time in figure skating. Lots of photos on the net.
- Rippon is not a Christian at all and I
think neither is Michelle Kwan.
I know for sure Rippon is not Christian
and neither is Alissa Czizny.
On the other hand Adelina Sotnikova
and Oksana Baiul are,God helps them
skate beautifully and triumph.
- Women as they age get in the habit of putting NASTY things near their UT.
R295, I do know that Chinese culture is less homophobic than ours.
- I have no clue who most of these people are. Last time I watched skating was when Boitano won.
- [quote]Does Evan know that guy is a pornstar?
- Mitt Romney will be opening the new season of STARS ON ICE 2012 in Lake Placid.
If there ever was more proof of homophobia in figure skating.......
- [quote]On the other hand Adelina Sotnikova and Oksana Baiul are,God helps them skate beautifully and triumph.
I thought Baiul had converted to Judaism a few years ago.
- She didn't convert to Judaism, she uncovered her original Jewish heritage and married a Jewish man.
- Rochne Brubaker's butt looked especially delicious during his short program this year.
- I got a charge out of this whole thread, which I stumbled on searching for something else -- I forget what. Some excellent posts, the two long ones in the middle about the Canadian scene were fascinating.
The reason Browning is such a 'phobe is too many people assume he is gay, and that pisses him off. Guys like Browning (who seems kinda gay) can get married, have kids...whatever, people will still think he's gay, because he's a skater, and especially not very butch.
Browning has to realize that his problem of being a wealthy, semi-famous skating guy who people take for gay is NOTHING compared to the prejudice and obstacles that even the average gay person goes through, or has gone through, especially the gay guys in skating.
I knew a few guys who were in the top 5 at U.S. Nationals (1990's) and being gay, putting up with the homophobia and self-hatred was HORRENDOUS for them. There was this dual thing. Everyone knew Boitano and Orser were gay (and the whole list of greats in the past), and that there were butt-loads of gays in skating, but it didn't matter. There was still lots of confusion and homophobia.
On top of that, I knew one gay skater friend who was petrified he'd die of AIDS (before protease inhibitors hit the market in the late 90's). He was too scared to be tested for HIV. (He's okay now.) I was furious that the major training center he was at didn't have a program of some sort, to give them a condom course, starting at maybe 11 or 12. (He was older.)
As far as the Canadian TOUGH program, that's just going to get the gay skater kids all bent out of shape and confused. Even straight skaters will be turned off from everyone so bent out of shape.
I'm not sure if any of these issues have much to do with the waning interest in skating. I agree that it got over built because of Tonya, when also-rans of all types were earning good salaries in cheesy shows. For me, it was kind of a golden age. I liked seeing it. I also think the new scoring system, and the fact a skater can't just do an exciting spin with one or no position changes, and they have to cram in a lot of flailing to get points -- well, it's just taking the creativity out of it. The programs started to look too much the same.
Another factor might be that the Internet took some of the mystery out of skating, after fans got their initial decade of being able to share their enthusiasm and ideas about the sport. Also, though, people became more participatory in doing their own things on the Internet -- like making videos or web sites.
The easy access to an archive of performances throughout skating history has changed things too. Before the Internet, and especially before video recorders, I used to get excited for every competition on TV. You had to use your imagination about the lives of top skaters. Now I don't even care about the Olympics.
I don't think you can underestimate the impact of the Internet on everything in society, and our attitudes about things. You can't go back to that time when the public thinks every ladies champion is a queen, when in fact most of the men's champions are.
I think skating should let everyone out of the box, so that something that is creative or beautiful to watch can earn some points, even if it is not extremely difficult to do.
Christianity screws up some skaters, in places where it penetrates the rink, like Colorado Springs or the top of the Canadian scene. It does, if they or too many people around them get fixated on the moral turpitude of guys wanting sex with each other... And it can be really bad if one of those persons is the gay kid's parent.
I imagine in Colorado Springs the Ted Haggard incident relieved some of the pressure, since even the Jesusiest of the Christians turned out to be seeing a guy on the side and doing meth, not that those things go together. LOL
Plus I think the founders of the ex-gay program there in the early 1980's ended up running off with each other. It's pretty comical when you think about it.
- The Internet often gets blamed for everything people don't like about how the future is evolving. In reality, before the Internet even happened, things still became stagnant and died off, over time, unless reinvented.
Yeah Browning has big issues.
The TOUGH program scared away all of Skate Canada's main sponsors. They have been draining their savings quickly.
Lets us just call the problems at the top of the Canadian scene by the name of "The Family Moir & Barb" (left side and Barb MacDonald, right side at link)
- I'm not blaming the Internet for not liking how the future of skating is evolving. I accept that there will be ebb and flow. I devoted quite a chunk of my life to skating. It was enough. I just think the Internet is a possibility. It's only been in the last few years when a person could miss a competition on TV, and just catch up by seeing the performance on the web, if it were worth seeing. The Internet has made things accessible. I believe that's part of the reason for the smaller crowds, and less interest.
I used to sit through some butt-numbing regional competitions just to see the up-and-coming skaters. Why do that, when anyone worth seeing will be on YouTube, even when they are tots?
The funny part is, for a while some people were blaming Tonya Harding for doing this, making it too popular, which they claim killed it. I think it's quite the opposite. She ignited the scene for ten years maybe, and otherwise it would have stagnated. I think some people might have been waiting for more fights.
Let's think how the Internet has influenced people's gay awareness in skating. Most people in his own country didn't know Ondrej Nepela (1972 Olympic gold medalist) was gay until he died of AIDS. I didn't know myself until I skated with a different division of a show he was with as a professional, in Europe.
Well, now you don't have to be a skater or international traveler slash grand inquisitor to find out about these things.
It's not that everyone's posts on the Internet are correct or reliable, but like the two part post by someone about the Canadian scene, in this thread... You get a good idea of someone who obviously writes really well and seems to be making reasonably plausible statements.
If you're a gay skater kid, you want some role models.
However, the TOUGH program seems like it will scare everyone away, including the straight guys. You don't become a figure skater because you want to change the image of the sport, as Scotty Hamilton once claimed he switched to a more masculine costume and thereby made skating soar to new levels of butchness. That's a delusion that sets in after someone becomes famous. Straight guys, if they get wind that the skating association is all hung up on this issue, will just want to avoid it entirely.
No matter what Browning and [I think] Stoiko claimed about being too stubby for the hockey team -- the only reason they got into skating -- skaters have to like jumping, spinning or dancing on the ice to be successful in figure skating.
An association isn't going to change that type of perception. It's sad to read about how Brian Orser's efforts were thwarted, to bring more open attitudes for gays in skating. He was just trying to help gay kids feel comfortable about it, and not wait until 10 years in their professional career to come out.
Boitano once was asked what he thought about all the skaters who were dying of AIDS. He just said something lame about it be no different than other sports.
When Pokar died I cried. I had him on tape of the Romeo and Juliet he did with Hamill, and the next thing, he was dead. Such a handsome young guy.
You'd think that now that the dropping dead horror is over, the skating association would like to make it easier for the gay guys, help everyone to heal. Apparently not.
- Elvis and his hot bubble butt.......that was a while ago. Elvis was staying at the same hotel, we just happened to be in the steam room together. let me tell you..Elvis is some hot bottom boy! He could not get enough. It was so yummy!
- The current crop of skaters also lack personality.
- yummy r312. tell more please.
- Gracie Gold will be the new savior of American skating. Is she a Jew?
- So I hear Todd Eldredge has become a father. He divorced his first wife and now is a dad by his fiancee. I remember his first wedding was on that awful wedding show, "The Knot". I swore Todd was gay, but he's not. But was he or was he not abused by his coach Richard Callaghan?
- more elvis stojko hot hairy hole stories please!
- And Jeremy Abbott's career comes to an end in 3...2...
- Spoiled rich loser won't earn a trip to Russia anyway.
- Your all sick and twisted. It's not because Johhny chugs cock that people won't hire him-- it's because he sucks.
Have a nice day.
- Our poor little pocketgay Douglas Razzano was left out of any assignments. :(
Wagner's little bitch got 4cc instead. Fuck you Adam "choke" Rippon!!!
- [quote]American Figure Skater Paul Wylie is an outspoken Evangelical Christian.
This is pretty funny considering I'm pretty sure I had him not too long ago.
- R322 you're pretty sure? But not completely sure? If you slept with him, please provide details. Always thought he was odd looking but cute.
Was in Boston visiting. Met this guy at a bar who told me his name was Brian. I don't normally go for older dudes but recognized him so went along with it. Loved having his ass eaten and kept asking me to do it. Loved getting fucked even more. I've got a pretty large dick and he took it like a champ. Jerked himself off while I fucked him. Seemed like he would have liked me to degrade him (I didn't) as he kept referring to himself as a whore/slut. When I left, I intentionally called him Paul instead of Brian and he freaked out.
- This may be slightly off topic but I caught Brian Boitano's new show on HGTV a couple of days ago and was pleasantly surprised at how watchable it was. It is about him renovating a family house in Italy. We all knew he was gay even before he came out for the Olympics but I didn't know he had any design background. The show was a nice change from all of the real estate/Property Brothers/Love It Or List crap that has overtaken that network in recent years.
- Paul Wylie pings to high heaven.
Anyway, Ice skating has become a colossal bore with its new point system. Each routine is just pasted together to gain the most points, and each routine looks just like the one before.
I was in the audience of the US National Championships recently. Watching the top few skaters on TV is one thing. Having to sit through the top 20 basically doing the same routine was utter torture.
There's no spontaneity anymore.
- I wonder if Eric Radford will suffer any repercussions for coming out?
- Isn't homophobia and figure skating akin to homophobia and ballet dancing?
The homophobes will not win this one.
- [quote]I wonder if Eric Radford will suffer any repercussions for coming out?
In terms of his amateur career, I doubt it. He & Megan Duhamel skated in the Grand Prix Final today & they're in first place after the short program. So I don't think the judges are going to hold it against him. Will he still get asked to do Stars on Ice, I dunno, but I certainly hope they've progressed a bit since the days when they shunned Johnny Weir. Granted, you can see Johnny's flames from space, so that was a little different (still shitty of them, though).