- Because it''s so gay. Duh.
- American men are very shy. And it''s getting worse. Guys at the beach not only wear board shorts--they wear boxers underneath. Basketball, lacrosse and football uniforms show less skin. Many guys hides behind a towel in locker rooms. Schools don''t require showers.\
Could be a coincidence, but this has happened just as people figured out that there are hidden gay people among them.\
Thank God for water polo.
- GAY GAY GAY!
- It''s just part of the styles the media pushes. Formerly, fashions like that changed every 10 years or so, but ever since they started pushing ghetto shit, they''ve never let up.
- Considering the obesity rate in this country I''d say it''s a good thing.
- Americans are too fat to wear them.
- What do you mean schools don''t require showers? I graduated from high school in 2002 and we had to shower after gym and after practice, but it was a private school. Is it a public school thing?
- Straight guys don''t want gay guys looking at them in Speedos.
- Banana hammocks are really fugly. Even Speedo makes board shorts now. Gross. No one wants to see your business grow up.
- This thread needs pics. Tom Daley and his diving partner Max Brick. Of course they''re British.
- Americans are generally fatter than Europeans.
- I saw a lot of fat Germans in speedos
- While vacationing in the Caribbean, it was the Canadian and European men - especially the Germans - who wore Speedos.%0D\
There were those who did, and should not have and those who could did not. The same went for the women who went topless - none that we met were Americans. People from the U.S. have too many hang-ups. %0D\
- Brits aren''t wearing speedos as much anymore either.
- [quote]Brits aren''t wearing speedos as much anymore either.\
Yet they continue to smile. Strange.
- It is a rule in Britain that one must wear a Speedo rather than swimming trunks due to what trunks can be carrying into the pool.
- Everyone looks better in a speedo, no matter what they weigh. Board shorts are offensive and ugly.
- If I had the bod for it, I would wear them all the time. Hell, I''d wear them at the grocery store.
- Our Opposition Leader wears budgie-smugglers for the photo ops. I don''t want to know quite that much about our politicians.
One of the Aussies
- Usually I wear nothing at all.%0D\
And R9, no one will ever see your business grow up.
- I want a return to the male short shorts fad so popular in the 70''s and 80''s.
- Americans have small penises and are 2 fat.
- They will be popular under the BurkaBikini Act of 2011. You will be limited to these two clothing items when boarding an airoplane.
- Thanks, R10.
- r19 I don''t want to know anything of his politics but that is one hell of a nice body.
- Because most women don''t like to see it staring them in the face, in public.
- I would like to see something shorter and tighter...but not the speedo.
- Because we actually know it''s disgusting.
- R10 & R24 = resident DL pedos
- Speedos look like kiddie underpants.
- Max Brick is 18 and Tom Daley is 16, according to Wiki, r30. And rs 10 and 24 may be similarly young.
- As stated previously American men are more likely to have been raised with a higher sense of modesty about their bodies than European men. In my own home growing up neither myself nor my older brother were even allowed to go shirtless at any time unless we were somewhere swimming, and even then my mother felt that when we were out of the water we should put on a top of some sort. In her eyes nipples were simply not meant to be flashed around nonchalantly. \
And to this day it is a rare occasion that I will take my shirt off in public and my body, while not Adonis like, is nothing to be ashamed of.\
That said, I do find these guys I see all the time jogging who are wearing the spandex running shorts that go down to the knees and a pair of loose fitting shorts over them. I can only assume they are embarrassed to show their pubic bulges. How sad for the viewing public.
- I have a drawer full of speedos and board shorts. I wear the speedos when I swim for exercise and I wear the board shorts for - guess what???? Surfing! Board shorts are necessary because they slide easier on the board when moving from one position to another.
- Fuck you and Anita Bryant R30. We''ve had enough of pedo accusations from you hate-mongers so it''s f&f big time. Go back to your sickos at Focus on the Family, we don''t want you and your ilk.
- r27, we''re gay. We don''t care what women want.
- A better question is why is the speedo popular outside the country. The majority of men are straight. The majority of women think men look hideous in speedos. American men are full of common sense on this one.
- r37, the majority of women can be conditioned to think anything. Their opinions have varied with the fashions of the times.
- An earlier pic of Tom Daley just to annoy r30.
- Fair enough R38, same as men (witness the wide variations in what men find attractive between times and places: rubenesque and curvy or twig thin). But why would men want to wear something that in this place and time is considered quite ugly to the people they''re trying to attract?\
And there''s a strong possiblity it''s not conditioning (see link. apparently men, not women, naturally check men''s packages out).
- [quote]Men tend to fixate more on areas of private anatomy on animals as well, as evidenced when users were directed to browse the American Kennel Club site.%0D\
from R40''s link
- R2 is right - this is a lot like straight men who put a towel around them in the locker room before taking off or putting on their underwear.%0D\
They''re terrified that some ''mo is going to check them out.%0D\
That and the attitude that showing off your bod somehow isn''t considered masculine.%0D\
- If they have a big one, both straight and gay guys, like to show it off.They would walk around naked constantly, if given the chance.
- In the 80''s speedos were popular, hell tight jeans on men was popular and those little jogging shorts too. \
It''s just changing fashion.\
I even think the Europeans aren''t THAT into the banana hammocks anymore.
- When G Gordon Liddy took his first shower in prison, he walked there naked as he had done in school and in the Army, which freaked out all the black guys who insisted he use a towel.
- Not a fan of the "traditional" style speedo. But I really wish the square cut variety would become more popular. Not everyone would look as good in them as Daniel Craig did, but they''re a might more flattering than the baggy board shorts or the banana hammocks. \
... Not that there''s really much of an option for body flattering styles in men''s swimwear. Pretty much the only body flattering style is a good body to begin with.
- I like the square cut. I''ve got one similar to Craig''s but without the racing stripe down the side. It''s made by Speedo.
- I don''t know what you mean by square, but I don''t like the dainty looking ones with the string-like sides and long looking pouch (due to it rising too far above the crotch). The speedo in this link seems about perfect. Notice how there''s not too much difference in vertical length of the side vs the package.
- I wear either a traditional speedo or a square cut one. I''m 46, in fantastic shape, and I don''t give a fuck what others think. When appropriate, I go naked. IT''S CALLED BATHING.\
Board shorts are ridiculous (unless, apparently, one is on a surfboard, as r34 pointed out). They remind me of those absurd suits from a hundred years ago. Who needs all that wet fabric weighing one down?
- I HATE that men''s thighs are never visible. I''m not talking about speedos but that the shorts MUST cover the whole length of the thigh. I HATE> that.
- Do you live in Boston R49?
- I have a very dear friend (straight) who was born and raised in Bulgaria. A few years ago we went to a large water park for the day. He wore the skimpiest speedo I have ever seen. He was oblivious to the looks he received. He is built like the proverbial brick shithouse. Even I looked at him lustfully that day. I almost felt guilty.
- OK R48. That kid is just a little too young for us to be assessing his speedo.\
I''ve been wearing my new square cut suit lately.\
I think it might have to do with guys being embarrassed about their chicken legs too. So many guys work out their upper body but their legs are still twigs. Board shorts would cover them up.
- fuck what women think, I dress for me .
- Sungas! Popular in Brazil, they are somewhere in between a speedo and a squarecut.
- Sungas may be what Brazilians call that, but it''s a squarecut. It just happens to be a squarecut that''s a bit shorter than the squarecut worn by Daniel Craig at r46.
- Guys become more aware of their weaknesses and flaws. Plus they fear to be exploited or judged based on how their bodies look.
- yes, when I''m in shape, no when I''m not.
- Wronng R56 - squarecuts have a slight inseam. Sungas do not.
- Not a mystery, most guy don''t want the world seeing their small flaccid penis. No matter how mighty the oak my grow, people judge from the tiny acorn.
- My squarecut Speedo doesn''t have a slight inseam. It''s not a Sungas. Not all squarecuts have the same exact design. Some have an extra inch on top and bottom. Some have an extra half inch on top. Some have an extra quarter inch on the bottom. Again, just so you comprehend, not all squarecuts have the same exact dimensions.
- American men don''t wear speedos for the same reason they don''t wear Daisy Dukes, man purses and any number of Euro-trashy trends. %0D\
They do not want to be thought of as:%0D\
That is the greatest fear of straight American males. Once a particular fashion item is associated with gays, str8 dudes will never be caught dead wearing it.
- I asked my son why he never wears the skinny jeans I bought him and he said, "because I''m straight, mom."
- The Brazilians wear it well
- no r51 I live in Manhattan, but I''ll wear a speedo in Boston, too.
- American male in speedo.
- Americans are uptight pussies. Boardshorts are ridiculous for the beach. They shoould at least bring back some sort of bathing suit that looks like a bathing suit even if it''s not a speedo. Boardshorts scream insecurity.
- Good news:\
This report claims renewed popularity.\
Speedo reports sales in Australia have increased 17%, and 44% worldwide.\
I presume not in America. Outside NY & LA, it''s always been a deeply prudish country.
- During the last Olympic games, in the running events, the contrast between the uniforms of the male athletes and female athletes was extreme.\
The male runners had uniforms covering their bodies from their neck to their knees. The women runners, in contrast, were wearing the briefest of bikinis.\
For some reason it is OK for women to be barely covered, but either the athletes or the American team feel that males need to be covered.\
Would a scantily clad runner in the traditional singlet and light shorts be considered gay, or indecent?
- [quote]Plus they fear to be exploited or judged based on how their bodies look.\
You mean like men do.
- American men like to look as much as possible as Peanuts characters at all times.
- OP, the answer is very simple: Homophobia.%0D\
Irrational fear of being perceived as gay, or receiving unwanted attention from gays.%0D\
- But it''s crazy because they show their bellies but not their legs, and legs are much sexier than bellies, as well as less affected by fat.%0D
- No, r51, Manhattan, but I''ve worn a speedo in Beantown too.
- this I found on the speedo fantasy board - I found it interesting
- [quote]The Brazilians wear it well\
Because they are all bisexuals.
- because while we think more about sex than any other country, we are also more self-conscious and fucked up about it than any other country.
- Americans don''t accept that males have penises.
Ricky from Spain
- Dude, speedos are fuckin way gay and shit. It''s what all those dudes in Europe wear because they''re all fuckin bi if they''re not gay and I think, like, Socialism has something to do with it too.
Straight American Guy
- because it is associated with effeminate and/or creepy males.
- "If they have a big one, both straight and gay guys, like to show it off.They would walk around naked constantly, if given the chance."\
Not really, in America, men who purposely show their package in public are perceived as perverts, creepy, and sexual predators. People are frightened are repulsed by them. American women especially recoil at men who they perceive as exhibitionists. Americans dont like men showing off their lower bodies, although men are encouraged to show off upper bodies (abs, pecs, biceps).
- Asses either to flat or too fat in American\
This one is just right!
- American males mimick guys they perceive as cool. Except for professional wrestlers, the kind of guys who wear speedos are perceived as very uncool by the large majority of American men. Therefore, speedos are ridiculed and despised here.
- American men have to keep their thighs covered. They''ll wear the top of their shorts down around their pubes but the shorts go to the knees. Thigh flesh is off limits to all viewers. Bizarre, but true.
- Yep, American men love to show off pecks, abs, biceps, even the top of their pubes, but anything below the navel is off limits. There is a reason why American dudes spend so much weightlifting the upper body but neglect their lower bodies. American men are very upper body focused, could care less about the public view of their lower bodies. It''s invisible in the public realm.
- White thighs are ugly.
- Why don''t Americans sunbathe and swim naked?
- Thank you r82. He''s amazing, just amazing. He''s the best thing I''ve seen on this site in years.
- Same reason basketball players wear shorts down to their knees now and not the short shorts they wore for decades.
- [quote]because while we think more about sex than any other country, we are also more self-conscious and fucked up about it than any other country.\
No, Japan has that distinction. Very weird fetish culture over there.
- "The same went for the women who went topless - none that we met were Americans. People from the U.S. have too many hang-ups."\
I, for one, am grateful. I don''t really enjoy seeing fat old grannies with their tits hanging down to their knees or some old man''s low hangers. When I''ve been overseas to topless or nude beaches I rarely see anyone who looks good naked. Mainly fat old people.
- Aside from the many people who should cover up a bit and don''t, Americans who could look perfectly fine in a Speedo have far too many hang-ups and are repressed about everything having to do with the human body.%0D\
Could we at least bring back some kind of decent swim suit that look like a swim suit for staright and gay males in this country--yes gays have just as many hang-ups. But for christ''s sake, what''s with these ridiculous board shorts? Do you really need to be that covered up to lay out in the sun and go swimming?%0D\
Does the totally impractical long board short really make you "not gay." Is it necessary to go to that length so you "won''t be gay?" It''s utterly ridiculous.
- I like this style.
- if americans are so uptight about their bods, why do so many guys wear tank tops, wear skintight underarmour shirts, wear muscle shirts, and go topless in public (running, playing basketball, biking, etc)?
- [quote]what''s with these ridiculous board shorts? Do you really need to be that covered up to lay out in the sun and go swimming?%0D\
American men have thigh shame. They don''t want their thighs to be seen in public.
- R96 see R85.
- "But why would men want to wear something that in this place and time is considered quite ugly to the people they''re trying to attract?" %0D\
Because they don''t care. I''m from South America and grew up feeling very comfortable with my body. I know I look good in them but I do see guys who I don''t think look good. I look away. I guess most American women would say "eww?" Very mature. I bet r40 has been called a "cow" and/or "whale."%0D\
Moving here, it''s obvious to me Americans are more about money and financial success. Foreigners are more about love/living. %0D\
I''d even say most South Americans are more gay friendly than North Americans, which is another good thing. Less sexual hang ups. Same with Europeans and many Asians.
- I always wear a Speedo. I like them. The newer spandex racer ones are a bit much for me. I go for nylon suits with at least a 4" side panel. Or the blue water polo suit. I don''t like the skin-tight look; I always buy one size larger so there''s a little movement to the fabric. Works for me!
- [quote]I''d even say most South Americans are more gay friendly than North Americans%0D\
I found that to be true in Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Uruguay, and Brazil, but not Venezuela.
- you forgot Argentina, the mostgay friendly country in this hemisphere, besides Canada
- r100, where do you live or wear the speedos? If in the US, how do people respond to you wearing them in public?
- Americans are very body conscious, despite the epidemic of fatness. People judge peoples'' bodies very severely here, even when their bods are imperfect. In the past, men were exempt from body criticism, but today in the age of Men''s Fitness coverdudes and fitness male models with huge pecs and ripped abs, men are also judged harshly for daring to show their bodies in public if they don''t have ripped abs, huge pecs/biceps, and the v-look.
- In Europe more and more men are wearing board shorts.
- [quote]you forgot Argentina, the mostgay friendly country in this hemisphere, besides Canada%0D\
I didn''t forget it, r102. I was speaking from experience at r101, and I haven''t been to Argentina. I spent time in all those other nations.
- by Alicia Potter
John Updike once compared the male body to a bank account: as long as it's healthy, a man doesn't think much about it. Clearly John Updike never met Emanuel Ward.
Ward has the physique of a star sprinter. His biceps bulge; his calves curve; under his green T-shirt, his stomach no doubt ripples. Yet last summer the 27-year-old Ward found himself fretting: how would he look in a swimsuit? Maybe not as buff as his buddies, he thought, vowing to step up his gym regimen. "I didn't want to be ashamed," he says.
Not a typical guy thing to say, right? Think again. Being a man these days seems, well, an awful lot like being a woman. For men, more than ever, looks count. In Vogue and Men's Health alike, modern-day Adonises sell everything from protein powder to Armani cologne. They've got washboard abs, silky skin, nipples so erect they cast shadows. The male torso reigns as the decade's most powerful "crossover image" (appealing to men, women, gays, and straights alike), reports Peter Arnell of the New York advertising agency the Arnell Group.
"It's kind of sad, but sometimes I see a guy on TV who's buff," Ward says, "and if I haven't been working out, I think, Wow! I better get back to the gym." He admits a Hanes underwear ad usually does the trick.
If this is gender equality, then the turning of the tables is not without a surprising, and potentially harmful, set of side effects. As men become more body-conscious, and as advertisers become more shameless about objectifying the male physique, men are acquiring problems formerly associated with women: eating disorders, body obsessions, low physical self-esteem. One body-image study found that 45 percent of men were dissatisfied with their physiques; women were only slightly less satisfied at 55 percent.
Some women, like Gwynne Reynolds, a 28-year-old marketing executive, say it's about time. "I think it's only fair that men get a taste of what it's like to be us," she says. Meanwhile, millions of guys on StairMasters are pondering what it means to be a man.
How else to explain the success of the movie The Full Monty, a 90-minute riff on the crisis of the male self-image? The British comedy, about six laid-off steelworkers who put on a strip show despite their considerable physical flaws, has already raked in about $80 million worldwide. Yes, The Full Monty was funny, but it revealed more than just flesh.
"You'd better pray that women are more understanding about us," one of the film's characters says. "Anti-wrinkle cream there is, anti-fat bastard cream there is not."
Read more: Male Body Image %E2%80%94 Infoplease.com
- r101, I don''t have your experiences, but on wikipedia, there''s a section about gay rights in South America and Venezuela does have less than others.
- Speedo Etiquette
Speedo is a brand of swimwear, but the term popularly defines a small, short and tight bathing suit worn by men. Speedos are designed for swimming, as their lightweight, slick fabric and skin-hugging shape helps to increase a swimmer's speed. They are also good for tanning as most of the skin is exposed. Since the 1970s, Speedos have been a notoriously revealing swimsuit choice and there are some etiquette should be observed especially in North America.
Where to Wear
Speedos may be fun and convenient to wear. They are suitable for the beach, pool or private boat but not in general public. Some news events have reported that Speedos worn in public areas such as stores, restaurants, parks, libraries -- even around the neighborhood -- may cause a social disturbance. One USA Today article tells of a case in Arkansas where a man was charged with indecent exposure for wearing Speedos and a small shirt into a restaurant. Bring shorts and a shirt to wear over your Speedo once you leave the swimming area. Keep a towel on hand, which you may wrap around your waist for bathroom trips or emergencies. Wear flip flops with your Speedo on deck.
Who Can Wear
Speedos are suitable for boys and men. However, they are often associated with blatant sexuality in adults. Their super-tight contours and clingy fabrics are revealing and suggestive. Men should take steps to reduce the offensive properties of a Speedo in every context. In Europe, Speedos are far more acceptable in social swimming situations than in North America, where body image and exposure is an issue of manners.
Speedos are for anyone, but their design favors youth or men with trim athletic builds. Men who are heavy, very thin or over forty years of age should avoid Speedos. All of these groups look more attractive and better concealed in fitted trunks or fuller boxers. Ill-fitting Speedos cause body parts to hang out, clothes to slip down and emphasizes bulge. This is risky and impolite.
Speedos should fit properly. They must look and feel comfortable and come correctly sized. Get help from a store clerk if needed. Bathing suits that are too small pinch or irritate the skin and "stuff" the body in place. Suits that are too large may flap or hang open especially in the water.
Speedos should sit on or just above the hip and pelvic line, and lie flat against the body on all sides. The bottom should be fully covered. The seams and elastics should be fitted and snug but not tight. Be sure that nothing personal is exposed, including pubic hair. Move around, lie down, squat and jump to test the coverage and capacity of your suit, particularly at the edges. The crotch area should be loosely "nested" with room to "breathe." Avoid provocative looks.
If your Speedos are faded, worn or loose, buy a new pair. Choose opaque materials that are not too thin. The best keep you dry and prevent chafing. Colors should be simple and sensible. Dark and neutral colors work best for an attractive, masculine look. Gregarious colors like neon orange can be considered gaudy. Etiquette also includes hygiene. Adult males should employ good grooming habits and keep clean.
- In Britain, wearing speedos is the law if you''re going in a public swimming pool. No shorts allowed.
- I prefer Aussie Bums Wonderjock. Less swingage when I run on the beach.
- I''m wearing one as I type. Seriously, I"m getting ready to go to the pool.
- Modest beautiful bodies are so plentiful here in the US combined with our great sensibilities about modesty and appropriateness, prevent the Speedp from taking hold as part of our couture. Another obstacle to over come is NASA''a unwillingness to share their space age materials needed for X, XX, XXX, XXXX, XXXXX, XXXXXX, XXXXXXX, XXXXXXXX, XXXXXXXXXX, sizes needed by the average sized American ass. Conventional spandex has reportedly killed countless innocent tourists at the beach when, without warning, these wearable sling shots have failed and taken off their heads during a spontaneous catastrophic fabric failure.
- Personally, I hate them, but, not because they''re too gay, but because most people look horrible in them.\
I saw a 7 or 8-year crucified for wearing one at a pool one day. The other kids left him bawling his eyes out. That''s how young it starts.
- I blame the kids parents R114. %0D\
Nobody buys or wears Speedos and even Olympic Gold-Medal Swimmer Michael Phelps looks MUCH better in board shorts or a NORMAL bathing suit. Speedos are highly inappropriate for a public beach, and I say this as a gay man.
- Highly inappropriate? Really? That''s fucked up.
- I think most AMerican men are not willing to put up with the ridicule, and possible arrest, for wearing a Speedo. I have even heard gay dudes say they could never find a guy who wears speedos attractive who wasn''t only wearing them because he is a swimmer. And women despise them.....
- I wore one when I went to Cancun right after college with a straight buddy of mine. Though I thought I looked slamming, I never wore it in the states.\
Interestingly, my now-married-with-four-kids buddy is the one who insisted we both get speedos for the trip.
- This kind of works with the "Cats are gay" thread. North American mentality is still extremely homophobic, sexually immature, and masculinist. If Sarah Palin becomes president, it''s only because she loves her guns.
- notice how sarah palin consistently puts democratic men down as being effeminate or not masculine enough?
- I think this one is pretty cool.
- sorry, but even though the dude has a nice bod, the cut of the swimsuit still says "effeminate" to me. perhaps it''s because we already associate that type of swimsuit bottom with women, but it''s hard for most men to look masculine in a speedo cut.
- Disagree. The more you show, the hotter it is.
- [quote]the cut of the swimsuit still says "effeminate" to me.\
The one in R123''s post screamed "effeminate" so loudly the neighbors complained when I opened the link.
- , I wear A Speedo just about anywhere ... Riis Park in New York City, the gay section way to the left and down right with the straights; in the Hamptons, East, West and in Quogue; certainly in South Beach and in a club in London. No one made me uncomfortable by leering at me, nor has anyone thrown any stones at me. I see Speedos all around. It''s just a slick swim suit Classic. Not generational. Try the water polo suit, use a size larger so it''s not skin-tight and stand up straight. I don''t know from this anti-Speedo sect on DL. It''s just stupid. I''m out now, but straight college kids wear them all the time! Even old men do. Just don''t go too tight! If you look good naked you''ll look masculine in a Speedo, many with far more fabric than lots of briefs sold in the faggy apparel stores in gay ghettos. I like blue ones. Favorite is/w orange side panels. If you''re really uptight about wearing one, wear one anyway and wear an over-sized tee shirt, then take it off when you get comfortable.
- It was very popular in the 80''s and even early 90''s (see old reruns of MTV Spring Break for proof).%0D\
The reason it''s not now? One word: Homophobia.%0D\
Pure and simple. Thread closed.%0D\
- I have very nice legs - so I dare wear short shorts.
But no Nair for short shorts, thanks
- This chick talking about men in speedos just said she does not find men attractive to wear clothes that look like her clothes, especially swimwear. I have heard a lot of women say the same thing. Speedos look too much like women''s bikinis; they are essentially mankinis, which most view as uncool.
- Are you all really surprised people aren''t wearing Speedo''s much anymore? Look at how harsh you judge the way people look. A guy could have a regular size package and some of you would say, "That''s too small!" or someone could be skinny but not have abs and you say, "He''s not in shape!". Can you blame people for being shy? People are sick of being judged.
Wanna know why?
- On Monday 6th June 2011, @MsXK510 said:\
"A guy could be in the speedos and be ripped to within an inch of his life and I don''t think I''d look again. It would have to be the Bermuda shorts and the pot belly." ~ #CherylCole
- The cut of the Speedo makes all the difference in the world.
- IN an age where Americans have contempt for and deride underwear briefs as "tight whities" for old and effeminate men, it should be no wonder that Americans vehemently oppose a style of swimwear that is cut like underwear briefs. It makes it more inflammatory that they are worn in public.
- r134 sounds like a movie trailer v.o.
Cumming At A Theater Near You
- I see quite a few speedo tanlines in the locker room of my gym in Houston, so maybe they''re just wearing them in the tanning beds? On the other hand, go to the gay beach in galveston and that''s all you''ll see.
- Agree, r120. We live in an immature macho culture that worships "masculinity."
- The Speedo and the square-cut were much more the norm decades ago. But now, anything that is tight or form-fitting is considered gay.\
Which is really kind of odd. In the mid-twentieth century, "gay" was little discussed, little known, and not very well tolerated. However, tight clothes were not much of an issue through the 1960s and 1970s, and this included athletic and swim-wear. Today, gay is an integral part of American culture and has gained great acceptance -- especially among people who are under 35 -- yet, straight men eschew any clothing that is in some way too closely identified with gay men.
- Effeminate or not?%0D\
- Icy cold water?
- R142. Damn, he''s hot.
- Yankee Doodle Daddy
- Speedos should be outlawned on these three. I want them totally naked.
- The guy on the right in the link at R146 is Bryan Thomas, a male model. Agree -- they should all be naked.
- I don''t think it''s really about speedos looking gay, at least it''s not the #1 reason why guys don''t wear them IMO. I think the #1 reason is because they''re associated with old men and perverts in this country. And with the puritan country America is, it''s "inappropriate" to show that much frontal "nudity" in the eyes of many. Also, men are insecure about their bodies as much as women are, and their packages. They don''t want to be embarrassed.
- Jerry O''Connell
- "Disagree. The more you show, the hotter it is."\
Not really. It depends upon what you are showing and the time, place, and manner. Showing too much in the wrong place (public venue) can be very creepy and pervy, if not illegal.
- [quote]Showing too much in the wrong place (public venue) can be very creepy and pervy,%0D\
When this shows up, it''s a red flag that a Bible-thumping Fundie frau or a George Rekers clone has invaded the thread. There''s a reason the "pervy" accusation is on their dirty mind.
Eulalie Mackecknie Shinn
- Jerry O''Connell''s stick legs do not go well with a speedo.
- "When this shows up, it''s a red flag that a Bible-thumping Fundie frau or a George Rekers clone has invaded the thread."\
Or just a mainstream American who is representative of the overwhelming majority of Americans, regardless of sexual orientation or political affiliation.
- Patriotic Speedo
- @ r153 Same fucking thing.
- creepy and pervy?
- The Speedo is more wrong than it is right on those that wear it.%0D\
Unless you are a professional athlete in a sport that requires a speedo, don''t wear one. You don''t have the body for it.
- "Because it''s so gay. Duh."%0D\
Now there is a post that sums up much of DL and the gay community- as homophobic and the wider straight world. How sad is that?%0D\
- AS, not and-
- Boston Speedo Santas
- Yellow big bulge
- Making adjustments
- I almost wish that the pic at R162 was from the back, considering how the cutie''s suit is half way down his bum.
- [quote]Unless you are a professional athlete in a sport that requires a speedo, don''t wear one. You don''t have the body for it.\
That''s absurd. I know plenty of gay guys in their 20s, 30s, and even a few in their 40s, who have incredibly ripped, banging bodies, who are not professional athletes, and who can easily carry off a speedo. \
But even beyond that: just no. Wear whatever the hell you want. Whether you have the body for it or not, because board shorts or square cut or speedo -- and everything between -- will not make any difference in the long run anyway.
- Wonderful scenery
- R9 How dare you?
- "Not a mystery, most guy don''t want the world seeing their small flaccid penis. No matter how mighty the oak my grow, people judge from the tiny acorn."\
This answer comes closest.
- [quote]OP, the answer is very simple: Homophobia. Irrational fear of being perceived as gay, or receiving unwanted attention from gays.%0D\
Actually THIS answer came the closest.%0D
- I''d be curious to see if guys, both gay and straight, genuinely enjoy hitting the beach wearing what amounts to a pair of polyester capri pants featuring oversized cargo pockets. Is that not cumbersome and weighty when you''d rather feel unrestrained to, I dunno, jump around and swim?
Not even a speedo wearer
- Swim trunks are pretty comfortable
- Whatever. I have at least ten of them. I have no problem wearing them to swim laps at the gym, going to the gay beach or when in Mexico on vacation. You people are weird.
- Straight men are too fat to wear them and they''re afraid everyone will find out they have small wieners. They also don''t want to be ogled...they don''t want a taste of their own medicine.
- I saw about 20 guys wearing them on the Asbury Park beach today, ages 20-40.
- I prefer square-cut "European" trunks anyway. Much more flattering on hot guys.
- [quote]I know plenty of gay guys in their 20s, 30s, and even a few in their 40s, who have incredibly ripped, banging bodies, who are not professional athletes, and who can easily carry off a speedo. \
Let''s exchange friends. Mine are all fat and would look awful in Speedos.
- Good god, who is he, R162!?!? What school or pool is that?
- [quote]I prefer square-cut "European" trunks anyway. Much more flattering on hot guys.\
I this the cut you''re talking about? Anything looks good on a guy with tight stomach/waist and a nice ass.
- The reason is simple: Americans are too fat and have body shame issues. Europeans are fat too but they still believe they are gorgeous even when they look repulsive, for evidence check any beach in Odessa.
- Why do you want to know, R177?
- Three-day Speedo Weekend!! See y''all in Galveston!~
- Blue speedo, big bulge
- Stuffed Speedo
- Two packages
- BB trio
- I just wish American men are more open-minded and bold to wearing Speedos. Everybody else in the world wear skimpy trunks even in Asia.
- Wouldn''t you like to be sandwiched between these two?
- The one on the left is hot, R187. The one on the right looks a little freakish.
- Beach boi
- I don't mind fat people in speedos at the pool or beach. I don't know why Americans have this preoccupation with other people's bodies. I mean, an obese tub is just as visibly offensive with speedo or board shorts.
Whatever, live and let live.
- All this should be resumed by: We started to be repulsed by our own body.
Have you ever seen animals ditching another animal because of it's private area? It's only an human thing. What's wrong with a penis? It's a natural part of the body!
Sure it is related to sexuality, so is breast. Why don't women hide their breast? they are allowed to wear tight shirts.
Who decided that penis are ugly? We were put on earth with this physic and we should just appreciate it the way it is.
- It's hard to hide small man parts in a Speedo. Boners are also hard to hide in any suit, but why would anyone want to hide it.
- American men suffer from many problems, self conciousness, fear of homosexuality, and sexual repression (as a result of that fear). Simply seeing the impression of another man's genitalia inside speedos can cause the American man to aggressively question his own sexuality, even though he has already established that he is not attracted to men. Often repeated phrases such as "that's so gay" "no way, it's gay" and "no homo" enforce this fear of homosexuality and outline their deep seated problems that revolve around their interactions with other men.
For such aggressively self proclaimed heterosexuals, it's a mystery as to why they talk about homosexuality more than homosexuals themselves. Heard more gays than a Pride march? Oh look, there's another insecure American, wasting his time proclaiming the world from his internet box about how he isn't gay by telling you just that. No homo? No, not homo but very insecure.
- Cuz most american males are too fuckin FAT to wear them!
- I like fat guys in speedos.
- They look really uncomfortable.
- Mah husband, Russell Tovey.
- [quote] Why do you think the speedo isn't more popular in this country?
Obviously, you've never been to Poodle Beach in Rehoboth
- R196 is right. I've been to Poodle Beach. There are some great Speedo photos in this thread.
- Was in France a few years ago, and went to a local community pool outside of Paris. We were told we couldn't wear our trunk bathing suits, and only speedos were permitted. Had something to do with fabric screwing up their filter. So my bf and I had to buy a couple of black speedos from the pool shop. Being very self-conscious about my body, I was worried. Shouldn't have been. All the men were wearing them, and by DL standards, none of them should've been!
- They are extremely comfortable. They dry quickly and they feel great.
- Saw several square-cuts on the beach today.
- I was JUST thinking about this today! Back in the 90's, when I was going through puberty, I used to record various TV shows (Ricki Lake, Donahue, MTV Spring Break etc) when they'd have guys on wearing speedos. I'd then jerk off furiously to them. But in the past 10-12 years I can't remember the last time I've seen a guy on TV wearing a speedo! What has happened :(
- I wear one and do so without any guilt
- Nice Speedo bulges on this page.
- It's not as popular in this country because Americans, more than others, tend to be hyperconscious about exposing a great deal of their bodies only when and if their bodies conform to a standard of physical adequacy and or perfection that is drilled into our heads by society. We are brainwashed to only like our bodies and feel comfortable enough with them to not be anxious about exposing them when they approach this standard. And many of us - see DL - love to put down those who aren't sufficiently on board with this protocol and have the audacity to rebel, i.e., be comfortable enough with who they are to not give a shit about the etiquette of only exposing a great deal of flesh when and if one has what the majority appear to deem a body worthy of such exhibition.
- Moreover, speedos are shaped like women's bikinis and that style is so associated with what women wear that the overwhelming majority of AMerican dudes don't want to wear it. American males don't like to wear clothing that mimics clothing women wear.
- Although I have never heard of Poodle Beach before, I am gonna guess that it is not exactly a beach popular with mainstream America. I get the feeling it is somewhere only a certain subculture type goes to.
Ever hear the saying "10 lbs of shit stuffed in a 5 lb sack"? That's me in a speedo. I'll stick to board shorts, and trust me ---you'll thank me for it.
- [quote]American males don't like to wear clothing that mimics clothing women wear.
No doubt you think he should wear board shorts.
- I feel sorry for this guy if he's trying to win at a swimming competition. That thing must slow him down in the water as if he's dragging an anchor.
- nice pit hair
- For all those who think guys wearing a Speedo look femmy, I'd like to see you share that viewpoint with this guy.
- because it is not considered masculine or manly and is associated with creepy or non-mainstream guys.
- Americans loves Wrestling. Most of the wrestlers wear SPEEDOS ( tight brief bikinis) why is it ok to Watch wrestlers jumping around in speedos and huggning each other but not wear them on the beach. A black speedo brief is made for the beach and it looks exactly like some of the wrestlers tights. Ex, Lex Luger, Goldberg, Dwayne Johnson, Steve Austin, Lesnar = they all wear speedos, only difference is they don't swim in them, they hugg each other in them.
Speedos are accepteble in some parts off europe
Ok to wear: Spain, Portugal, Greece, Bulgaria, southern Italy, former Yugoslavia, France and Germany
Not ok to wear: UK, Sweden, Norway, Danmark
- Speedos aren't popular because they aren't masculine. Most dudes don't wear something that looks like a girl's bikini. It is the same reason dude refuse to wear briefs for underwear; too girly.
- Yeah, speedos make guys look "femme".
- QUICK TEST:
Which one looks the most masculine?
- American men don't wear speedos because the American frau cunts want it to be all about them and their tits. Truly straight guys just go along with this.
- R217, the dude in Carolina blue board shorts. He looks like a regular cool dude.
- [quote]Although I have never heard of Poodle Beach before, I am gonna guess that it is not exactly a beach popular with mainstream America. I get the feeling it is somewhere only a certain subculture type goes to.
"Poodle Beach" is the name that has been given to the southernmost section of the beach in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Decades ago, that is where gays decided to congregate, and it has been that way ever since. It is amusing to see clueless straights and their families realize where they are as it slowly dawns on them that the beach is mostly populated by men in tight swimwear. So yes, there are a lot of Speedos on a lot of the guys.
(And, for the record, a good number of lesbians tend to go to a state park beach north of town that is about two miles away from Poodle Beach.)
- I love that this thread topic comes up every couple of months simultaneously as there's all this shaming of fat people on DL. The two are connected. Guys are insecure about their weight (even if they're not obese) and so they wear baggy shorts to take attention away from themselves; the cute guys who you want to wear the Speedos follow suit as a result.
- r220, as you can guess, you won't find many masculine bisexual gay guys at Poodle Beach. The name alone keeps them away, in addition to the swimwear worn by so many of the guys.
- For R220....
You forgot to mention that the North Shores beach where the lesbians congregate is known as Dinah Shores!
Speedos are a privilege, not a right.
I wear them everywhere but the gym pool. Too much gay boy attention there is distracting.
Plus you have to find the right cut for your ass, thighs and junk. Not a thin cheap suit. Just like undies guys.
Oh yeah, you have to at least be in shape, and should have some ass on you.
- R218 -- it has NOTHING to do with American women and absolutely everything to do with: speedos = fag.
- American women really, really hate guys in speedos. Most of the antispeedo comments I hear are from women, and they are very strident and negative in their criticism. They usually respond to a dude in a speedo with, "ew,gross, nasty."
- Possibly because very few men look good in a speedo. The "ew, gross" may also be (outside of a strip club) because many women don't want to see a guy's junk outlined?
- Yep, chicks think guys who show bulge or genitalia outline in public are perverted, creepy, or otherwise weirdos. It repels women.
- It's obvious that when this guy isn't naked, he has been known to wear a speedo. I think he's got a great speedo tanline.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--YIwAZnnhrI/T83jltRJx7I/AAAAAAAAJZs/tn9GELj1pSI/s1600/hot nude male 2.jpg
- Here's another speedo fan.
- [quote]you won't find many masculine bisexual gay guys at Poodle Beach. The name alone keeps them away,
It's not the name of the beach. There's no "Poodle Beach" sign. It's a nickname used by gays, but the beach always has a goodly amount of masculine men, some in speedos.
- Alexis Bloom @l3xilicious
I just can't take guys serious in speedos
- Their tanlines indicate short shorts, not speedos.
- I love a tight speedo
- Yes please!
- Maybe because they look so uncomfortable?
How do you guys walk around with those things?
- r236, that is why speedos are not popular, because of people who wear them as a way to engage in creepy sexual exhibitionism in public spaces without regard for public offense.
- You are absolutely right, R239! I mean, I'll look at it (any maybe suck a little bit), but I'll be morally outraged the entire time! The nerve of some (hot-cocked) people!
- Showing a Speedo tanline.
- Every guy that looks like this should be [bold]required[/bold] to wear nothing but a Speedo
- I saw an ugly old man in one at the beach yesterday. He was sitting there yakking on the phone with his legs spread in an obscene pose like, "Drool on it, prevs!"
- [quote]"Drool on it, prevs!"
I've never seen a prev at the beach. Do they have their own section where they're allowed?
- It's a special "code" term for Those In The Know!
- r240, that due is creepy. not hot
- Because American men don't want to be perceived as feminine or creepy.
- Is this guy feminine or creepy R247?
- flowery speedo
- [quote]Why do you think the speedo isn't more popular in this country?
Body shame. It's taught from an early age.
- It is not more popular because of the kind of guys that wear them here are not exactly the kind of guys most dudes want to emulate. If hip hop stars, football players, basketball players, and action movie actors wore speedos, maybe American men would consider them, but the kind of guys who prance around in them are not exactly good promotions for the swimwear.
- [quote]the kind of guys who prance around in them are not exactly good promotions for the swimwear.
Don't look, R251. You need to shield your eyes from this prancer.
- Spoiler ahead for R251, another prancer.
- Close your eyes R251, or this guy will prance you to death.
- All those people trying to ignore the Speedo prancer.
- showing his prancing foot
- Does R251 realize he can prance around in board shorts, too.
- [quote]Body shame. It's taught from an early age.
Then why is it non-existent in the Castro with the very men who SHOULD have body shame? (Because they're fat and wrinkled.)
- [quote]American men would consider them, but the kind of guys who prance around in them are not exactly good promotions for the swimwear.
Is that what you think of this guy?
- r259, if that guy is American, I bet you he doesnt wear speedos in his regular life. I see guys that have bods like him all the time, and none of them wear speedos at the pool or beach. A model photoshoot is not real America.
- It has nothing to do with men not wanting to appear feminine, IMO. And more to do with people in general, male and female, being incredibly uptight about all things that have to do with their bodies, the bodies of others, physical contact, sex and sexuality in general, and with men, penis size. The USA is simply an extremely repressive, uniform place, and most people have a lot of defenses and walls up that have been built throughout our lives. If it became a trend, more people would wear speedos, but it won't become a trend because so many people are way too insecure to ever wear them publicly unless it's done as a joke and as an intentional defiance of social standards or a show of personal arrogance, rather than as a legitimate fashion choice.
- Hot Speedo guy
- ewww. girly men.
- OMG, they're wearing flip-flops!!!!!
- Tailgate party
- I wear speedos when I'm in very good shape. I don't when I'm not because I don't feel comfortable, let alone sexy, in one. What's the fun of wearing a speedo if you don't feel very good about your body?
In fact, I feel much more comfortable being naked on the beach (assuming it's a beach where some others are naked) when I'm less than fit than I do in a speedo.
- Team spirit
- Orange budgy smugglers (with a side order of amazing legs!).
- This one comes with a convenient zipper
- Somebody have a problem with my Speedo?
- Guys like this will never go out of style.
- Can you imagine the danger of the zipper speedo. That would hurt lol
- Speedo bulge at the pool party
- glory hole
- Swimsuits are shorter this year - above the knee except for guys still wearing old board shorts from six years ago.
- Speedo highlights nice buns
- looking good
- if ya think, dude
- what do guys wear in Florida?
- Wish i had a large cock my is only 6 ins
- In addition to a great ass, R281 looks like he has pecs that jut.
- its simply a fashion thing and if you haven't noticed in america the bathing suites have been getting shorter for men again in the past 5 years. Also to reply to those homophobic people lmfaoo gay guys are not checking you out get over yourself and showering after gym isn't a thing in public schools probably because their isn't enough time. Sports teams do shower though. I graduated HS in New York in 2011.
- American men in general seem to be more prudish about their bodies than men in Europe.
- R287, an alumnus of any public high school should know the difference between "there" and "their."
- During a trip to Louisville, gay adult film star Jessie Colter visited the recently re-opened Kentucky Kingdom. Jessie, like myself, tends to opt for the shorter side of men's swimwear. Upon arrival at the park, Colter was allegedly informed that his briefs were acceptable for wear at the park.
However during his stay at the park, Jessie was allegedly approached by a LMPD officer asking that he leave the park or face arrest. According to this article, a "LMPD officer allegedly approached Jessie, called him ‘queer’ and threatened him with arrest, for wearing Speedo swimwear. 'He informed me that several Public Safety Officers from the park had warned [me], which is 100% false,' Colter added."
Colter did decide to leave the park, and no official complaints against the park have been filed. Kentucky Kingdom has been contacted for a statement, but at time of publication I have not received a reply. This story will be updated once I do receive word from their team.
Kentucky Kingdom does outline a dress code on their site, which in summation gives them the right to refuse anyone for a suit the do not deem to be fit their standards.
"Guests must wear shirts and shoes at all times while at Kentucky Kingdom, except when inside the Hurricane Bay water park. Proper swimming attire is required at Hurricane Bay. For their own safety, guests may not swim in cut-offs or other clothing with rivets, zippers, or buckles. Kentucky Kingdom is a family-friendly theme park and reserves the right to determine whether a guest’s attire is appropriate."
While there has been no response from Kentucky Kingdom a local twitter user does seem to corroborate Jessie's story.
- Because McDonalds.
- men should show it
- Yahoo! Australia! Speedo heaven!
- Because it really only looks good on men with perfect bodies. It's even less flattering and forgiving than a woman's bikini, which provides support and coverage up top. Men more than 10 lbs overweight just look awful in them, as do very skinny men with no definition.
They also, to my eyes, look absurdly and laughably feminine. They look just like women's panties. For this reason I vastly prefer square-cut suits, which are nearly as revealing but have a more traditionally masculine cut. Upper, inner thighs and hip joints look less ridiculous on a man when they're covered, and not revealed by a cut seemingly inspired by Jane Fonda's aerobics-wear from the 80s.
- [quote]Yep, chicks think guys who show bulge or genitalia outline in public are perverted, creepy, or otherwise weirdos. It repels women.
Uh, no. I think they're repelled by the sight of a man wearing something that is virtually identical to their own panties. A guy showing a bulge in board shorts or even shorter-cut trunks is fine. It's the "encased in thin, skin-tight material on a very skimpy garment" aspect that is a turn off. A bulge is fine. If we can determine your religion by the tightness in of your wet bathing suit, it's too much. Some suits you can practically tell if a guy shaves his balls and how many days of stubble growth he has. THAT is what's pervy, the unabashed exhibitionism of a garment that has all the coverage and opaqueness of a wet Kleenex.
Imagine if women started wearing boxer shorts and men's undershirts (aka "wife beaters") instead of bikinis and low-cut one pieces...would straight men drool over that? Would they react with anything but revulsion and ridicule?
The speedo hate is largely about perceived cross-dressing, when it's not about straight-up looksism and body-judgment, the latter being wholly unavoidable in a swim suit environment...giving all the more reason to seek out more flattering styles if you aren't a Greek god come to life.
- R290, I've told this here before but last spring when I went to the water park and wore my loose Adidas swimming shorts into the pool I was approached by an employee who told me that shorts are forbidden. I had to rent a pair of tight swimming trunks and swim in them. They offered two styles of trunks: short speedos and boxer styled tight trunks. This story as a contrast to what happened with that porn guy.
R295, I haven't been to Australia but one guy at cam4 (the always hot m a n s a f) said that very few guys were speedos at beach anymore. It's usually loose shorts nowadays. Such a shame if it's true.
- For many American men, comfort is more important than fashion. Speedos are not comfortable. Your junk is all crammed up in some sweat inducing fabric, and if you add beach sand to the mix it gets even worse.