- It was rare, but when he socialized with fellow NYU students last year he did not self-identify as straight. That''s all I''ll say.
- what program did he do at NYU (it was a non-degree program right? I''m interested in them..anyone have info?)
- I am 100% sure he is straight
- [quote]I am 100% sure he is straight\
Based on what evidence?
- According to posts I''ve read on other sites, people claim to have seen him making out with guys.
- I wonder what self identify as straight means, and I wonder, in general, how the hell R1 remotely knows what he is talkiing about including the terminology "self identify as straight". Who do you know anywhere who when they socialize "self identify as straight" and therefore we think they are gay?
- I always walk into a room filled with people I don''t know, clear my throat, and announce how I self-identify sexually. It really gets the party going.
- How many times are we going to go over this topic? \
If you read the looong New York magazine profile of Franco from a few months ago, by a gay writer, you came away thinking this is likely a straight guy who is nonetheless interested in queer theory and homosexuality as an artistic subject. That was clearly the conclusion of the article writer, himself a gay man who broached the "gay question" at length to numerous people who know Franco. \
I know that answer doesn''t cut it for most of the black and white thinkers who frequent this board, but it''s the best you''re gonna get.
- There are comments on other websites that say James has been seen making out with his boyfriend and hitting on other guys.
- Not quite, R8.\
I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again: I''ve known a couple of men in LA who have dated him. He''s quite the closet case, remarkably. \
With all due respect to you, R8, and the magazine writer, no straight man loves to be immersed in "queer theory".
- Then why not name them, R10? You''re on an anonymous message board.
- "I''ve known a couple of men in LA who have dated him."\
Have they had sex with him? If so, what did they say about what he is like in bed? His cock?
- The fallacy to your statement, r10, can be summed up in this question: Why would a closet case, if that''s what Franco is, so openly dabble in queer theory and gay imagery if he was gay but trying to hide that fact? It makes absolutely no sense.
- R8, NY mag isn''t gonna out Franco without proof, that''s a lawsuit waiting to happen.
- Why would Franco sue, R14? If he''s gay friendly he wouldn''t mind it if they called him gay.
- Hiding in plain sight, R13
- I have no idea what he does with his dick, but his heart belongs only to himself.
- He is bi and fairly open about it. He just hasn''t formally come out. He is hiding in plain sight.
- I''ve already told you people - not gay and no pot. Why won''t you believe me?
James Franco, smoking reefer while riding a cock
- [quote]Why would Franco sue, [R14]? If he''s gay friendly he wouldn''t mind it if they called him gay.[/quote]\
Obviously, none of us here would personally know if he''d be offended. The point is, is that the author/magazine can''t say that he''s gay without evidence, that''s libel.
- You think he would, though, R18.\
With the projects he chooses, the last thing he should be worried about is his career.
- How naive. If NY Mag writers started insinuating the people they were interviewing were closeted, R8, they would stop getting interviews with top celebrities.
- This site cant be sued like a newspaper, that is why people here get away with false gossips
- [quote]With all due respect to you, R8, and the magazine writer, no straight man loves to be immersed in "queer theory".\
- Labels. Why do they matter?
- Ask the people who are closeted R25.
- Franco in Drag in Candy magazine.
- I worked with him right before he got "Freaks and Geeks". I would have to say Bi because he flirted furiously with the male cinematographer and the makeup and scripty girls.
- James Franco is this generation''s James Dean and just like James Dean he is 100% bisexual.
- You James Franco freaks ought to just do like the Raul Esparza freaks and have a dedicated thread, instead of starting this one every 3 days.
- r17 - James has spoken out about what he does with his dick...%0D\
[quote] "So, when I%E2%80%99m alone, I do masturbate a lot. I don%E2%80%99t know why. It%E2%80%99s like you have those days where it%E2%80%99s just like, I have a ton of writing to do, or a ton of reading to do, and you%E2%80%99re just like, OK, I%E2%80%99m going to be on the couch all day or in bed all day just doing that%E2%80%A6 I tend to have a four- or five-time day."
- R29 is right on target!
- Also here is a blind item from Perez back in 2006 about James Franco having a bf on set\
What seemingly cuckolded British actor doesn''t have to worry? Sources tell PerezHilton.com that his Slutty girlfriend is just friends with her co-star, who also happens to be gay!!! Yes, Frankly, we were a bit shocked by this revelation too. But, multiple sources close to the hunky actor confirmed this news to us, and - what more - they tell us that his boyfriend is staying with him in Canada, where they are filming. Now things make even more sense! This Slutty actress has bearded a closeted actor in the past. Could her Brit boyfriend swing both ways too???\
Answer Sienna, Jude, Hayden and James Franco
- My male friend had a three-way with him and a girl. If he "self-identifies" as straight, he must have forgotten because he sure was bi that night. This was last year in NY. As my friend put it, "he pounded me while I was pounding the chick."
- OP, what do you think we''re going to give you: DNA evidence?
- "It was rare, but when he socialized with fellow NYU students last year he did not self-identify as straight. That''s all I''ll say."\
Since Franco studies at Columbia, not NYU, you probably don''t have a hell of a lot more to say, at least anything credible.
- r36 at least make your trolling worthwile. Everybody and his dog knows that Franco has been enrolled at both NYU and Columbia for at least the last year.
- I''ve posted this several times, he dated this girl on the right quite a few years ago. I did see him at Gay Pride in Weho this year. He''s probably bi.
- I thought this thread needs some more pictures. Story attached.
- List of gay and bisexual males in Hollywood
-Tom Cruise (gay)
-John Travolta (gay)
-Will Smith (gay)
-Jake Gyllenhaal (gay)
-Anderson Cooper (gay)
-Leonardo DiCaprio (bisexual)
-George Clooney (bisexual)
-Zac Efron (gay)
-Ashton Kutcher (bisexual)
-Antonio Banderas (bisexual)
-Colin Farrell (bisexual)
-Hayden Christensen (gay)
-Ryan Seacrest (gay)
-Tom Welling (gay)
-Chace Crawford (gay)
-Hugh Jackman (gay)
-Tobey Maguire (bisexual)
-Matt Dallas (gay)
-Jude Law (bisexual)
-Ewan MacGregor (bisexual)
-Eddie Murphy (gay)
-Channing Tatum (bisexual)
-JC Chasez (gay)
-Dominic Monaghan (gay)
-Brody Jenner (bisexual)
-Corbin Bleu (gay)
-Antonio Sabato Jr. (gay)
-John Mayer (bisexual)
-Elijah Wood (gay)
-Spencer Pratt (gay)
-Ed Westwick (gay)
-Emile Hirsch (bisexual)
-Kevin Smith (bisexual)
-Justin Timberlake (bisexual)
-Robert Downey Jr. (bisexual)
-Jonathan Rhys Meyers (gay)
-Tyson Beckford (gay)
-Wentworth Miller (gay)
-Jared Leto (gay)
-Kanye West (bisexual)
-James Franco (bisexual)
-Pete Wentz (bisexual)
-BeBe Winans (gay)
-Dave Navarro (bisexual)
-Duane Martin (gay)
-Mario Lopez (gay)
-Lucas Grabeel (gay)
-Robert Pattinson (bisexual)
- r41, do you really believe all that bullshit
- It''s James Franco Day!
Proud James Franco Troll
- R42, I know it seems ridiculous, but that list is more true than you would ever want to believe. I don''t know about all of them, but I''ve worked for CAA for 2 years in the early 2000s and can verify at least 20 of those names. And I''m being serious. Those dudes aren''t straight. I''m telling you.\
If you look closely at the names and a few of the supposed girlfriends they are linked to/dated/or even married, a lot of these guys are using the same 3 or 4 beards. \
Sienna Miller for Jude, James & Hayden, Sean Combs, Daniel Craig \
Kelly Preston for John Travolta & Tom Cruise\
Renee Zellweger for Clooney, Bradley Cooper, Kenny Chesney\
Sarah Jessica Parker for Robert Downey Jr, Matt Broderick\
Quit reading People Magazine and US Weekly. \
They''re lying to you.
- I believe you r44. I think the number of gay and bi men in entertainment are off the charts.%0D\
CAA is master of cover up ops too.%0D\
"The fallacy to your statement, [R10], can be summed up in this question: Why would a closet case, if that''s what Franco is, so openly dabble in queer theory and gay imagery if he was gay but trying to hide that fact? It makes absolutely no sense."%0D\
As someone else said, hiding in plain sight.%0D\
When you are well repped enough by a powerhouse agency you can get away with ANYthing. Literally anything. Ask r44. %0D\
They even have the national glossies against the wall. The agencies feed the glossies - the glossies run only the nice heterosexual stories and sell any incriminating pictures they get hold of back to the agencies for scoops and exclusives on something else. %0D\
It can be a nasty self-feeding industry but it keeps each player in a job.
- "Hollywood, with it''s dozens of gay stars,it''s hundreds of gays in positions of creative and executive power prefers to reside in one huge, beautifully appointed celluloid closest. Or a gilded birdcage with a cover over it"-Time Magazine
- Hiding in plain site is endemic in Hollywood,the only gay people in Hollywood are the ones who say they are gay,it really doesn''t matter how obvious you are as long as you say you are straight.
- Bisexual to the core.
- There are some good posts on this page, particularly at R45, R46 and R47.
- What''s next for James?
- R36, you''re the idiot who clearly doesn''t know Franco or anything about him or anyone that knows him.\
Saying "he does not self-identify as straight" was my convoluted way of saying he is bi.
- posing for the cover of a tranny style mag
- R44, what does that say about the beards? Are they closeted lesbians or just into it for the PR?
- Kevin Smith? Spencer Pratt? Eww, and LOL
- R53, It seems to me they''re mostly publicity whores. Bisexual themselves in some cases. Jessica Biel & Cameron Diaz for example. They both like dating bi guys and both are bi themselves. Take a good look at their dating histories.\
Cameron dated Timberlake, Leto, Rodriguez and Criss Angel \
Jessica Biel dated TIMBERLAKE and Derek Jeter who has been fucking dudes for years.\
Also, it''s the simple reasoning that a girl would want to help her gay friends anyway she could. \
Plus, these gays, sorry GUYS, pay these women in a few cases--sometimes a lot of money. We''re talking millions here.\
The closet in Hollywood is not cheap. AT.ALL.
- I posted this at the "Gay Rumors that were True" thread but I''m posting it again here because this list was compiled in 1968 most of them turn out to be true years later...\
"In January of 1968 an underground book, Hollywood Homos,was published and distributed under the counter at newsstands along Hollywood Boulevard and other places. It was an exposed of gay Hollywood, and it''s editors run pictures and identified The Top Homos of Hollywood.."Hollywood Babylon Strikes again!\
Here is the list\
- Someone on eonline said his bf is Vince and gf is a beard:
"Franco, obviously. Old news, but currently interesting I suppose due to the drag spread he just did in Candy mag. Franco's gf is rumored to be cool with being used, agrees possibly in order to further her "acting" career--currently she's filming the movie "The Help" and likely wants to continue to climb the success ladder. All who know Franco well, also know his partner, Vince well. V. I'm told is over the-top-possessive, with jealousy that rivals any girl. He is rumored to have been the man in question on the Canadian film set whom Franco took with him--having supposedly lived with Franco for the last decade. I'm told Franco behaves lately as if he has lost what was left of his mind....not just based on weariness and/or lack of sleep. Keeping secrets while trying to appear completely transparent must be exhausting. There is also the rumor of his having resumed a nasty habit for which he obtained help awhile back--but which he has now given up on trying to avoid. A shame, he's sad. "
- Yul Brynner liked women a lot and was married multiple times and was with a lot of ladies.\
But I have heard that he was open-minded and did experiment with guys a few times. He certainly was open to participating in threesomes with a woman and another guy.
- [quote]I''m told Franco behaves lately as if he has lost what was left of his mind....not just based on weariness and/or lack of sleep. Keeping secrets while trying to appear completely transparent must be exhausting. There is also the rumor of his having resumed a nasty habit for which he obtained help awhile back--but which he has now given up on trying to avoid.\
Very sad news.
- What nasty habit? Drugs?
- At the New Yorker interview with Paul "Pee-wee Herman" Reubens as week ago, Paul mentioned something about a "favor" he did for James Franco. He didn''t elaborate.
- He''s obsessed with queer culture! Obsessed!\
In his writings/essays/poetry.\
in his short films.\
In his art.\
the characters he plays in movies like \
like James Dean,Scott Smith,Allen Ginsberg..\
He''s also been seen in several glbt pride parade..\
and appeared in Out,The Advocate and Candy magazines...
- What does it all mean?
- i''m not interested in all the rumors, innuendo, what someone''s friend said, artys gay film interest, etc.%0D\
QUESTION: has he sucked cock or had a cock up his ass? yes or no...
- I think he watched some gay sex when he was researching prostitution for "Sonny"
- R64, yes. I don''t think he''s been going to those gay bars, or has that art curator boyfriend and his cock hasn''t been used for something. It''s James fuckin'' Franco.
- What does that mean, R66?
- I just watched Howl and the movie is not all that great but Franco is excellent. He is the real deal. Gorgeous. He has the most beautiful mouth and really big hands too. He is rather hairless though.
- What about Kidman with Cruise and Keith Urban?
- James Franco is at least bisexual or even a closeted gay man. C''mon it''s not THAT hard to tell he''s not straight.
- James Franco is at least bisexual or a closeted gay man. C''mon it''s not THAT hard to tell!
- Hello, "Guest". Is this your first time visiting DL?
- Westho pool party...likes his mouth on wet-suited peen.
Dicker tand Dicker of Beverly '' ills.
- I don''t care how he identifies sexually, all I know is everytime I''ve seen him on interviews. the look in his eyes and his manner tell me he''s tasted cock.
- I only tasted cock when I had to do research for my role as a male prostitute in "Sonny".
- If he''s a huge hit at the Oscars, will that delay his coming out or speed it up?
- Are you guy following James on Twitter? There is a picture that is kind of icky.
- James will be tweeting about the Oscars this week. It''s so exciting, I may faint
- James sleeping with-his cats!%0D\
It''s so exciting I may faint
- Even if he isn''t biologically gay, I think he should come out anyway. He''s flirted with us, taken our culture and our representatives and in return, he belongs to us. He needs to come out, I don''t give a fuck if he''s straight or not. He belongs to our community now. Little boys shouldn''t play with matches if they don''t intend on getting burmed.
- R80 did you really just compare being gay to getting burned?
- This is even more exciting than James sleeping with his cats.%0D\
James and Anne will be singing an dancing in a scene from "Grease".%0D\
Just Watch. Im so excited that I''m fainting again.
The Fainter has Fainted
- No, r81 , I think r80 was pointing out the hypocrisy of somebody who is such a closet case mining gay culture and history to further his own career, all the while playing "la la, it''s the theory of sexuality that interests me."
- Epitome of bi, right R1?
- Oh, god, it''s the "Epitome of Bi" troll!!!
- You all are such dopes. Have you never met a cool smart straight guy in his 20s living in the USA in the past 5 years? ALL those guys are interested in Queer Theory and, like, oh, wow, "gender issues." It makes them feel cool to study that stuff. They''re ALL drawn to it. And chicks dig them for it. And they''ve all kissed their best friend or their sister''s boyfriend at a rave when they were 16. Some of you queens need to get out of the house more often! Put down the art deco phallus and dry the lube off your grubby fingers and go meet people who actually live in the world. "A guy who is interested in queer theory" is what "straight" means in 2011.
- The Grease clip is a 8 on the cuteness factor but I''m not wowed. If Travolta and ONJ show up in the scene, then I would be wowed.
- I knew he was a cat person
- ""A guy who is interested in queer theory" is what "straight" means in 2011."\
Could you translate that into English please?
- Excuse has anyone seen my shit covered tampon?
- R41 A higher proportion of bisexuals than in the general population?
- r90, is it so hard? Cool straight college guys are all ABOUT queer theory. It makes them feel edgy and hip. No way does it mean they''re gay. If you think that kids in their 20s these days stick as rigidly to essentialist categories as you and I did 30 years ago (I''m 52), you''re not paying attention. Kids engage in all kinds of same-sex flirtation and activity these days, all the while thinking of themselves as basically straight. All you fools who want to insist James Franco is "gay" are missing the point. For one thing, Franco''s an actor - separate sexual category. Here are some of the sexual categories: Gay Straight Lesiban Bi Transsexual Trangender Questioning Actor. And for another thing, even if Franco weren''t an actor, he''s in the generation and socio/economic and education-level category of kids who don''t think that doing same-sex stuff in a flirty or stoned-at-a-frat-party-way means you''re gay.
- At least he is not singing that horrible "remember me" monstacity.
- Hey, 41, if that''s the list, how come no fat, ugly guys are on it? In Hollywood, only great looking guys are gay? How about Seth Rogen, Franco''s "sidekick"? Why isn''t he gay? Or the other Apatow guys? Jason Segel or that "sexy" Jonah Hill? Or how about that hot Danny MacBride? Franco''s the only gay one? Or is he the only good lucking one who''s not intimidated by gay roles and culture? Give me a break. I''m not saying he would turn down a guy, but talk about exclusionary. Why don''t you put out a REAL list with guys that aren''t just your fantasy?
- [quote]he''s in the generation and socio/economic and education-level category of kids who don''t think that doing same-sex stuff in a flirty or stoned-at-a-frat-party-way means you''re gay%0D\
Which reminds me, I wish I had a dime for every time Mark Hoppus on his weekly talk show on Fuse commented on (or asked one of his male guests about) some other male musician being "dreamy."%0D
- "Kids engage in all kinds of same-sex flirtation and activity these days, all the while thinking of themselves as basically straight."\
I''m not sure if that''s quite as common as you think. I would think that especially among straight guys that sort of behavior would be reprimanded.
- r97, you don''t know the same 27-year-old straight guys that I know.
- "Have you never met a cool smart straight guy in his 20s living in the USA in the past 5 years?"%0D\
R87 are you crazy?!? 99.99% of the straight men in that age range are bloated and have bad hygiene. They are hardly the dynamos you describe.
- "Why don''t you put out a REAL list with guys that aren''t just your fantasy?"\
Why don''t you make a list of guys you want to be straight?\
- Sorry, boys -- he likes pussy.
- "99.99% of the straight men in that age range are bloated and have bad hygiene."\
What about the good-looking, well-groomed straight guys out there?
- Isn''t he only into trade?
- That must be his kitties Sammy and Zelda. His place looks very messy. Also, bad posture for the neck.\
My question. Who goes around snapping pics of him sleeping all the time?
- He and uber hot Canadian actor Xavier Dolan shared a hotel room in NYC last month. \
In the Know
- He''s been uploading narcissistic poseur shots on twitter. Shame when somebody smashes your illusions.
- Oh, then it MUST be true, r9. %0D\
- Xavier Dolan:
- He posted a pic of the porcelain throne.
- OMG R106. That is some dish. Tell us more!\
Xavier Dolan isn''t just an actor, he''s also a writer-director who, at age 21, has already made two acclaimed films. His second, Heartbeats, opens in NYC today and is fantastic. It''s about two hipster best friends, a male and a female, who fall in love with the same guy. It should be unbearably twee and pretentious, but it''s a really stylish, fun movie. Dolan is a very talented kid -- and, yes, he''s hot.
- Xavier is openly gay
- "My question. Who goes around snapping pics of him sleeping all the time?"\
It''s probably Vince J aka "V" his long-term bf and Business partner...They have an open relationship.
- James is into guys who are smart.\
Here he is flirting with one.\
- "It''s probably Vince J aka "V" his long-term bf and Business partner...They have an open relationship."\
I''m open to believing that. It would make sense with other things about James.
- I heart how James uses the word "y''all" in the YouTube savannah interview.\
He''s so tweet.
- [quote]"Have you never met a cool smart straight guy in his 20s living in the USA in the past 5 years?"\
And James Franco is not straight.
- Oh, r117, prove to me that he''s had your dick in his mouth, repeatedly, when he wasn''t drunk, and he knew your name.
- I never understood how someone who is as uninteresting and dull as James Franco can generate such interest among the gay community. What exactly is it that gets you guys going about him?
- I would think his girlfriend Ahna or his brother are taking the sleeping pictures.
- R119, James is always doing something interesting?\
What are other male celebs doing that is better?
- His brother Dave pings more than James. Any one know if Dave is gay?
- He does a mean Cher imitation--just saying
- I eat shit.
- I think it''s time for James to tell us about his cock.
- R80, that is the sweetest, most moving thing I''ve heard in a long time...
- R106, R109, but Nolan is only 21
- I meant Dolan
- r121, tell me please - what does he do that is so interesting? General Hospital?
- No, R129, a film called 127 hours for example, for which he''s received an oscar nod.
- Is James on General Hospital right now?
- They should have Franco fuck Sonny Corinthos on GH. \
Sonny''s ploughed through every pussy in Port Charles, so it''s time for some new frontiers.\
He has sexual issues which need exploration and I think Franco could initiate them with some fellatio.\
Don''t call me crazy. This is a man who shot his wife in the head as she birthed his son!!!\
- r130, doesn''t mean a damn thing. Lots of other people have Oscar nods. What EXACTLY is it that makes Franco so interesting? %0D\
And, r132, the gay subtext played out between Franco and Steve Burton was obviously done on purpose. But as a GH watcher, I hated every minute Franco was onscreen because he did nothing to make the show ... interesting.
- What''s the big goddamned deal about James Franco, anyway?\
Dude, I just say 127 HOURS. What the hell? Why make that movie? Here''s the sum total of Franco''s performance:\
Aaarrrrrgghhh uhhhhhh gwaaaaggghh.
- R134 = Jake G., jealous that his career is on the way down
- I mean, seriously: Did you like 127 HOURS?
- It looks like somebody liked it, considering it''s been nominated for an Oscar.
- r137, that''s an answer? Duh, I guess I figured that someone must have liked his movie, or at least him in his movie, or he would not have been nominated.\
Are you being deliberately hostile?\
I just wondered if anybody here actually liked the film.
- I liked the movie but I didn''t cry.
- R136, I loved it. I think it''s brave and jazzy.%0D\
Replying to other people on this thread: what makes Franco so important? It''s his willingness to take risks, to learn, to do what he bloodywell wants to and not give a rat''s arse what anyone thinks about him. Admirable
- I have no idea one way or another and I don''t really care, but to those who ask how would coming out hurt him, here is a thought:\
A closet gay man playing a straight man - happens all the time\
An openly gay man playing a straight man - not all that successful except for NPH.\
A straight man playing a straight man - yawn\
A straight man playing gay characters, getting involved in gay causes, wearing drag with pride and a wink - That, my dear, is a cash cow.
- I guess the question is how much longer he can keep this routine up. Another year? Another 5 years? Eventually it will wear out.
- Anybody have a link to the Yale Daily News?%0D\
See Franco''s latest Twitter picture.%0D\
Also, there is a telling video that he captured. They are all doing a rah rah before the Oscar show and uhm Franco gives a salute of a different kind.
- What is his deal?
- James has posted more of his paper bag artwork. Now there is a scrap with Anne''s name and a scribble mark in the middle. Also more cat collages.\
He''s so exciting. He''s the next Pollock.
- Who is the chickJames keeps filming? They are both being annoying.
- People who hate women are also people who hate homosexuals.\
Queers who degrade and demean women are self-loathing homosexuals.\
If you hate women, you hate yourself.\
Stop the DL violence against women.\
Stop using the c-word on DL.
- r147 is a pc cunt who''s pussy stinks
- [quote]and I''m certainly not one who needs "proof," \
Good, because that would be hard to rpovide on an anonymous gossip board.
Sworn affidavits? DNA evidence?
- I have a [male] friend who made out with James Franco. He actually thinks he''s straight, but may not know what he''s talking about.
- Anyone else find it amusing that former DL troll David Ehrenstein is fond of repeating that Franco and George Clooney are absolutely straight and that if they were gay they''d definitely be out because they''re cool like that? Then he''ll get huffy over some unknown on Glee refusing to come out. It''s weird.
- watched the younger Greg Wise in The Buccaneers recently on netflix and was struck at the physical similarity with James Franco, they both have an almost Eurasian look, besides being dreamy.
- [quote]An openly gay man playing a straight man - not all that successful except for NPH.\
And that''s because NPH was firmly ensconced in the role when he came out. He would have NEVER been cast in that role if he were out already.
- I get the distinct impression that Franco likes to see himself as an "enigma" and stokes the questions regarding his sexuality to add to his "mystery", which isn''t very mysterious at all. That issue aside, it seems that he may have overplayed his hand in his "sociology of fame", as Gaga put it. \
The Oscars backfired on him, IMO, and he seems to be retreating a bit. He was the only one not to show for the F&G reunion at the Paley Center, although he sent a video comment slamming Hathaway. I thought the absence was odd as he consistently works with Apatow and Rogen. Only Segel seems to make snide cracks about him at times. At the reunion, there was a comment about how Franco was "method" in a scene with Busy Phillips, Apatow commented on he was the only one to get an Oscar nom, and Segel made a crack that Franco was just better looking than them. Love Segel but sense a bit of jealousy there.
- "he sent a video comment slamming Hathaway"\
What did he say?
- Franco has admitted that he was annoying and weird on the set of Freaks and Geeks.
- "I guess the question is how much longer he can keep this routine up. Another year? Another 5 years? Eventually it will wear out."%0D\
Believe me. He has already reached that saturation point.
- He sent a video of him holding an IPAD with a picture of Anne H. on it and saying that they were in rehearsals for the Emmys and the NAACP Image Awards. Then he said to the IPAD, "do you have anything else to say, Anne" and he held it up to his face and made fake, whiny, girl voice and said "Love and Other Drugs is out on DVD". It was obviously a slam on her being a sellout or something. \
The applause were deafening, so the first part was hard to hear but I think he told them all he loved them, etc. Besides Segel, he seems to have a nice thing going with Rogen and Apatow and Phillips said they talked through some wierd thing that happened on the set years ago. Segel definitely seems to have an issue with Franco but I love them both. Oh well, some people just don''t get along.
- "It was obviously a slam on her being a sellout or something."\
I don''t get it.
- He was imitating her hawking her DVD. He was making fun of her with the fake voice and obvious interest in selling DVDs, not creating "art", like him. Note sarcasm on my part.
- All I know is Endless Idaho and My Own Private River is Van Sants way of outing River and Keanu. I guess he used Franco to do it.
- Did some idiot say AGAIN, that a gay man could not play a straight man? Because if you did, I would really like to beat the shit out of your dumb ass.
- I think they meant a gay may was far less likely to be cast as a straight guy, not that they shouldn''t be.
- To  sorry it''s a late reply but the chick''s name is Nina Ljeti a 20 year old NYU film student from Canada whom Franco has reportedly been with/dating/banging/using for over a year. At one time there was a huge discussion about her on a fansite where students from NYU were commenting about it. Supposedly he targets very young unknown girls (and maybe guys?) at the colleges he attends to take care of his ''needs'' in addition to his own velvet hand. I think Vince handles the confidentiality contract issues with said young things. But he was also seen a few months back with a hot male model-looking guy, reportedly holding hands, canoodling in a union square coffee shop known to host lots of models. I think Franco just enjoys the buffet wherever he is.
- I've heard that Franco's a deeply closeted bisexual or gay man and addicted to drugs.
None of this is surprising.
- Ask him yourself: 818-300-6254
- Asheville Scene
Franco and the 'Spring Breakers'
James Franco, the serial student and studly movie star, showed up at the Toronto International Film Festival last week with his four young co-stars dressed to the nines, while Franco sported a leather jacket and a T-shirt. But it wasn’t just any T-shirt.
While starlets Vanessa Hudgens, Selena Gomez, Rachel Korine and Ashley Benson strutted around in form-fitting dresses of lace and leopard print by designers like Dolce & Gabbana, Franco proudly showed off a blue Warren Wilson College shirt. Some might say he was woefully underdressed. Others might say he was just mad repping the get-your-hands-in-the-dirt school out in Swannanoa.
Franco is a Warren Wilson student who has finished his master of fine arts degree in poetry and is currently working on his MFA in fiction. College spokesman Ben Anderson said “we're glad anytime one of our alumni wears a Warren Wilson College T-shirt, regardless of how much attention it attracts.”
Franco and crew were drumming up press for “Spring Breakers,” a new flick out soon about a drug dealer who bails out four young women who land in jail after robbing a restaurant to pay for their spring get-away.
- James Franco created a character named James Franco. In order to make a rather uninteresting and unlikable character more compelling, he has deliberately kept us in the dark about his sexuality. He teases and hints and plays all kinds of games, knowing it gets far more attention than telling the truth.
It works, and as long as it does he's unlikely to change anything.
- Can this become the new Keanu is a mess thread since they are so similar.
Come on DL we need a Keanu thread.
- It's gotten old. He killed the mystic with that terrible Oscar-hosting gig. He's done.
- ames Franco: Serious image is 'draining'
James Franco thinks being serious is ''draining''.
The 34-year-old actor - who is also an accomplished author, artist and university lecturer - admits trying to impress the public is tiring and he has now decided to take on projects for himself, despite what others may think.
When asked who the real James Franco is, he replied: ''I don't think I'm one or the other. I love the academic world but I also like being silly. When a serious image becomes a part of your life, it was be draining.
''I guess it comes from wanting people to like you. I don't know [if I'm liked]. I've been involved in projects that people enjoyed, and I'm grateful. But now I feel free to do projects for more artistic reasons.''
One of his personal interests is gay culture, which he has explored through several film roles - including Gus Van Sant's 'Milk' - and his own experimental visions.
However, James insists he doesn't pick the parts deliberately and he instead tries to put across a bigger message which everyone can relate to.
Referring to his fascination with the society, he told Britain's Marie Claire magazine: ''In some cases it's accidental. I didn't do 'Milk' to play a gay character - it was a great film by my favourite film-maker.
''The equality message doesn't just apply to gay culture, it applies to everyone. I try to highlight dynamics, engaging with them in a way that helps people look at them differently.''
- I wouldn't be surprised if James' dick had been in Dave's mouth or boyhole at some point.
- r174, don't be so vile and perverted. Sick thought.
You know it wouldn't surprise me...
- Do the Franco brothers have even more gayness than the Jonas do? Cause I think the only vaguely attractive Jonas is of course straight.
The eldest Franco is out, James is at least bisexual and I can't see the one who actually uses moisturiser, Dave being straight.
Speaking of incest, R174 is on to something. Joe totally dry humps his brother.
Well that was interesting...however I don't think it comes out as incestuous. It's brotherly love.
Now the Franco brothers seem a bit more raunchy imo.
- Do we have a picture of r175? Yes, here it is:
- The eldest Franco is out, James is at least bisexual and I can't see the one who actually uses moisturiser, Dave being straight.
Which Franco are you talking about, r177?
[italic]James Franco is the eldest of three sons 2 younger brothers; Tom (Thomas)and David[/italic]
James was a loner in high school and teased by the popular girls who spread rumors of his alleged gayness. Dave, was popular with the girls, voted "best looking" and seems comfortably straight.
- The middle Franco brother, Tom, is actually straight and doesn't have to beard since he's not in showbiz. James and Dave are also publicly straight so the only debate is whether James is in the closet or not.
From Tom's bio:
[quote]In January 2010, Tom's life partner Julia Lazar joined the team, and has catapulted the art experience of Tom's adventures into the public eye through her live and social media abilities. She has also become a main collaborating artist with photography and curating live art events.
Tom's site linked
- He never sucked my cocks.
- Who even cares if James is bi or gay. He's really not even cute, he's ok looking at best.
Dave on the other hand, I'd love if he was gay(I know he's not...). Funny, good looking, and doesn't take himself too seriously. Plus he's pocket sized so you could carry him around in your purse while shopping.
- Dave has said he's straight.
James hasn't said he's straight but has said he's not gay.
- What r183 said, except carrying Dave around in a purse.
- Oh R177/R181 I had read the other unknown Franco brother was gay and I also thought he was the oldest. There's 3 of them right?
I think James is the best looking, but Dave has more going for him in many ways and isn't as pretentious, but then who isn't.
- CDAN BI. Though this could be anyone JF was one of the guesses.
- "James Franco" is not a "very unusual" name.
- James's review of The Place Beyond the Pines was embarrassing. The movie basically has three parts and James only talked about Ryan Gosling's part. He gave him a fucking tongue bath.
- R189 Who wouldn't give Ryan Gosling a tongue bath?
- He is obviously bisexual from statements that he has made. He's said why do people have to be one or the other. In other words he is neither gay or straight. Bingo. He's bisexual.
- R183 Completely agree-James is not great looking and average at best when he's cleaned up. Dave looks much better.
- James seems to be crushing hard on Ryan Gosling if his review of 'The Place Beyond the Pines' is any indication.
- This guy is really annoying. Did you see him on Charlie Rose? Couldn't stop rambling and seemed really off. He killed his chances of being a real movie star because he overexposed himself and lacks mystery.He is a exhibitionist constantly looking for attention.
Just take a look at his interview with Charlie Rose. After 10 minutes you want to slap him.
- Gosling doesn't even have much screen time in Pines.
- Both are closeted homos.
- Check this to see if there's any evidence of him wanting to fuck Gosling.
All I know is that he was extra creepy here especially with that tache and was a real douche. He did get Ryan to laugh at Jesse Eisenberg, whose intelligence he's clearly jealous of.
- R193 "Burning for Gosling"
lol so now we know James' type...
- Franco is a hypocrite. Goes out of his way to support gay rights, but won't come out as gay or bi.
- Franco is the white male version of Jennifer Lopez.
Overexposed and slowly dismantling his own career out of jaded boredom. By the time he wakes up it'll be too late, just like the late Ms. Lopez.
- R200 that's a good comparison. They are both annoying and are jacks of all trades and masters of none. Oh, and both attention whores.
- In OZ, JF reminded me why I used to think he was very goodlooking, circa Spiderman era. He somehow got his looks back for OZ. Otherwise, he looks like he is not taking care of himsself.
- I can't stand Franco, but this made me laugh:
[quote]...The Drive Scorpion jacket; the Blue Valentine two-tone leather, I mean, come on giiiiiiirl; and here a red jacket, more nondescript than usual Gosling but still cool ...
LOL. James, if you want to fuck the guy just call him up and see if he's game.
- Haha that review was awesome. I hope Ryan read it.
- He probably has read it, I remember thinking he was gay back on Breaker High. I was a teen, and not remotely attracted to him. Now, Scott Vickaryous on the other hand...Yeah.
Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if they met up and fucked. Neither is really that attractive, both are totally overrated, perfect for each other.
- Ryan does it to me. James does not.
- The guy is a douche so I really hope he is straight.
- I don't buy that he's gay. Just don't. I don't have a horse in this race btw.
- What makes him a douche?
- I agree with R197 to a certain extent.He Does seem creepy in that video ,but I think he is trying to act like he is this deep intellectual actor.
BTW, his Brother is way hotter than him.Not the long haired brother with the blog, but his brother Dave Franco is hot!!!
- FRANco is straight. Nice try, guys!
- yeah, straight woman!
- He's not gay, he's just playing us. A lot of celebs do that. It's trendy.
- Go to Huffpost and read his review of Ryan Gosling's movie and think again.
- Fangurl R213, yes its very "trendy" to suck cock on DL. Always been, always will be. James just takes the glass closet to the new level!
- James Franco in and out of drag with his 'Spring Breakers' co-star and girlfriend(?) Ashley Benson making their own music video.
- He's gay. Privately identifies as bisexual but leans gay. A lot of men do it. You're just uninformed if you think he's straight.
- He'll come out when he writes his bio at age 65.
- He's a douche
- Naw, he is not gay. So much unsubstantiated wishing on this board.
- James Franco is getting an award from a bunch of love-stricken queens at the Miami Gay Film Festival.
- His sexual orientation is douche bag.
- Dave Franco likes nipple play.
- Dave is hot!
- Lol you need proof to be straight? Only a f@g would say that. James ain't full out gay. Maybe he experience but all the way no. I like how a gay rumor is true tea to you f@gs but being heterosexual is an lie. Last time I check heterosexuality is the norm not homo.
- R225 needs her meds!
- Nutjob r225 is right, unfortunately. Hetero is the default.
- R227, are you in the same hospital?
- Oz has made over $228 million in North America
- it is a hit for sure
- Oz will always be an awful movie no matter how much money it makes.
- Oz sold tickets on the strength of fondness for the original. Franco cannot claim credit for even one cent of revenue generated.
- If it had bombed, you would have blamed Franco.
- Yes, R233, we would have. Then you would have stamped your foot and put your fists on your hips and told us we were all just jealous.
- Ah Judy...
- Did his massive star power make Spring Break a hit?
- James shows off his sexy soles in the latest issue of Complex magazine.
- His new film is getting raves.
- R57 I don't think that's true. Apparently, Vince has a baby.
- I wanna see "This is the End"
- Hey, it was his birthday yesterday! Happy birthday, James!
- [quote]Hey, it was his birthday yesterday! Happy birthday, James!
Do you know how to read? It' was his brother DAVE'S birthday.
- R242 James is an Aries. It means he can't have a June birthday!
Which reminds me who is compatible with James' zodiac sign?
- r244 Sagittarius.
- R245 and Leo. To a lesser extent, Aquarius and Gemini.
- Are there still any fangurls delusional enough to believe James Franco is 100% straight? Even James Franco doesn't believe it.
- r247 little brother Dave doesn't believe it either. Dave looks over his shoulder and sees him as he's fucking his ass.
- This is the End is a hot.
- Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:23 pm | Updated: 6:09 pm, Thu Jun 27, 2013.
Tim Clodfelter/Winston-Salem Journal
A casting call for a new James Franco movie has been canceled, and the future of the project is unclear.
“The plug has been pulled on ‘Garden of Last Days’ so there will be NO auditions on Sunday!” Phil Newsome, one of the owners of Altair Casting and Production Services LLC in Winston-Salem, said in an email message to the media on Thursday afternoon. He confirmed that the plug had been pulled on both the film and the auditions, but could provide no other details.
Altair was to hold an open casting call Sunday for the film, which was scheduled to be shot in the Winston-Salem area starting July 10.
Calls to an office associated with the film were not immediately returned.
Initial news reports on national movie industry sites had the film being shot in the New York City area before the casting call in Winston-Salem was announced. It is not clear whether the film has been canceled outright, is moving locations, is being delayed, or something else.
Franco was scheduled to direct the film and possibly co-star in it as well, with a cast including Emilia Clarke, one of the stars of HBO’s “Game of Thrones.”
Franco has been very busy lately. He stars in the apocalyptic comedy “This is the End,” which is now in theaters, and directed and stars in the movie “As I Lay Dying,” which made its debut at the Cannes Film Festival last month. He has several other films listed as being in postproduction or pre-production on the Internet Movie Database. And on Monday, Franco started a crowdsourcing campaign at Indiegogo.com to help raise money for three movies based on stories from “Palo Alto,” his 2011 collection of short stories.
- He seems like such a little demanding diva.
- He's going for the women and the gay men, as an audience that is. And that's a very big audience when it comes to male heartthrobs. Brilliant strategy.
- I don't know whether to commend him on striking while the iron is hot with his 1,001 films every year, or tell him to fucking calm down.
- James Franco is interesting. His looks are average in some ways, beautiful in other ways. He has a winning smile, that's for sure.
- Now Dave, on the other hand... woof...
- He cleans up well in those Gucci fragrance commercials. They must have made him bathe.
- For James Franco, having the honor of working for him in his latest film is greater than making any money.
The "127 Hours" star is directing a movie called "The Sound and the Fury" and his search for a female lead led to a casting call being sent out — one that offered low pay and said employment by Franco "in itself can be considered great currency.”
According to the call obtained by RadarOnline, the movie will be a feature film that will take 13 days to shoot and operate on a low Screen Actors Guild budget.
“[Franco] is a fantastic director and quite loyal to his actors!! This story is both deep and rich!” the casting call reportedly reads.
The role for the film — which is based on William Faulkner's novel — is for an African American woman between the ages of 45 and 60. The actress would play Dilsey, "one of the black servants of the Compson Family."
- In the past year, Franco has used the crowdfunding program Indiegogo to try to raise $500,000 to make three films based on his own short stories.
- I keep getting a stupid ad of someone punchung Franco.
- Cue Viola/M joke at r258
- oops? what? did I miss my cue?
I'm at the second act of The Trip to Bountiful and must have dosed off a bit. Viola looks quite old and tired in this. The poor dear.
- Franco plays with cultural theory and uses it like Matthew Barney does. Both uninterest me. Both are overrated. But I came across something Franco had written. He's not dumb and he has mastered culturespeak. So to answer your question, R2, it was in Cinema Studies I think.
- This thread is supposed to be about gay James Franco. I want FIRSTHAND accounts. Stay on topic, PLEASE.
Ugh. Once again now, more stories about how you know he fucks dudes.
- In case it needs clarification, I include queer theory in cultural theory. Franco has more than the former in his arse-nal so I thought I'd give him that.
- I think Franco did the film production course at NYU. I think he got a degree. (the only one of his many master's programs that he actually finished.)
- He's like the Mickey Rooney of the 21st century. He's always around doing something, but never doing anything great. The epitome of blah.
- Seth Rogen:
“In all seriousness, he is a very hardworking actor. He once told me he worked for 36 hours straight, which I don’t believe — the straight part, obviously.”
- Can't we send him to England? If we have to put up with Piers Morgan, let them take James Franco.
- He' a fucking tease. One of these days he's going to get it good. I think he has a very gay fetish. He's done it.
- cut off his penis, feed it to the donkeys!
- As someone who has hung out with co-workers of actors/actresses, I can say that James Franco gets really compulsive trying to get someone's (he likes) attention.
- Not sure if High or Shy, but i'd totally fuck him if given the chance.
- Ok, so no one has any gay stories.
- I think he is gay, just hiding in plain sight. A fucking tease as well.
- I know women he's bedded, no men. I think he plays on the gay for media attention and to start speculation about him. But I say straight. My question is why does he always look high on red carpets? Is he a big time pot head?
- He's definitely gay, even though I don't want someone like that on our team. Anyone who can't see it is blind. Wentworth Miller did a better job of hiding in the closet than him. Too many incidents and stories to discount.
- My personal observation of James is that he is really sexual but also really dysfunctional (he is a heavy drug user, and he goes in and out of dealing well with his increasing level of fame).
I don't buy the "I wish I was gay" line because he has experimented with anything and everything. I don't think he wants to self-identify with being gay, straight or even bisexual. He's an academic but needs an editor and 24-7 supervision, much like a child.
- I think he and Vince are "married/together" and have a child.
- Who is Vince?
- Vince Jolivette, Franco’s roommate and general right-hand man (he runs Franco’s production company and plays bit parts in many of his films), met Franco in acting class in 1996.
- I really don't get him.
- R278, what exactly did you observe (if you can possibly spill it without giving yourself away)? I understood James to be a recovering alcoholic (heard about him attending gay AA meetings, for what that's worth) but not a drug user, unless you count alcohol and Starbucks.
Douchey dilletante he may be, but he's without peers or precedent re: the homo obsession. It'd piss me off if he turned to in fact be straight; it'd tickle me if he truly was one of them queers.
- Vince has a baby daughter, but there is no picture indicating who the mother is or that he's in a relationship with the mother.
Vince's Facebook profile says that he is interested in women.
- Are you not counting marijuana or other party drugs as drugs? James has been looking really rundown lately ... completely unhealthy. He has HIV? Something is odd with him, beyond Redbulls and caffeine.
- Speaking as a bisexual here...I think James is a bisexual narcissist. I think he's mostly attracted to anyone who will flatter his ego.
- I bet he would be a lousy boyfriend. Could you imagine being with someone who did nothing but talk about themselves and "art" 24/7? How dull.
You never hear him talk about current events, charity work, politics, or anything that isn't about him or "art".
- James Franco is gay. And his family and friends know that. He is dating with Vince Jolivette. Even, they have a kid. He'll admit soon.
- He was amazing in Pineapple Express--kept in character (or himself?) of clueless, sweet stoner in an underrated film and performance. 'I hate lingerers', heh. Needed a lot of editing (subplots with cops, especially, and more with Amber Heard would have helped) but the bromance with Rogan and Danny McBride was improv genius.
- Vince is seven years older than James.
More acceptable for the sensitive souls at DL?
- James and Vince have sure been together a long tine. I remember back in '07 or '08, Vince came to visit my acting studio in Sherman Oaks. He was introduced as James Franco's "partner" and I wondered if they were partners in more ways than just filmmaking.
If they really are together, I wonder if they have an open relationship?
Who is the mother of Vince's daughter?
- [R291] "if they were partners in more ways than just filmmaking."
Why did you say that? They have flirted or another thing like that?
- It's what r288 said. Care to elaborate, r288?
It would be akin to dating Marc Kudisch.
- He's effing exhausting. I've never seen someone so obsessed with themselves and needing so much attention.
- They look like a married in this picture. Even they have a kid.
- R296 James looks like he hasn't showered in 2 weeks in that picture.
- James slept w a woman I know recently. R288 is delusional.
- What do you think about Henry Cavill and James Franco? Did they have sex or not? I think it could be.
- R296 Cute
- The kiss with tongue
- He is not gay. Perhaps, quasi-bi.
- [quote]James looks like he hasn't showered in 2 weeks in that picture.
My first thought when seeing the picture.
Not gay, never was gay, never will be.
- He's omni-sexual.
- why does he go out of his way to ruin his good looks?
- yes, r306, I also wonder why he does that.
- When Franco was reviewing movies for Huffpo, he attended the Superman premiere but said he couldn't approach Cavil for a comment because he probably dislikes him since he was an asshole to him when they shot a movie together back in the day. I'm assuming Franco was rude to Cavil who was nobody at the time. I don't think they had sex.
The Gyllenhaal rumor came from an insider, though.
- This is the Franco I prefer.
- [quote]This is the Franco I prefer.
I want to believe that Dave Franco and Zac Efron had a thing during the shoot of their movie.
To me Dave seems much more interesting than James although I can't deny that James is very charming, too. He was hilarious in 30 Rock with his body pillow lover few years back.
- I think that gender is not an important aspect of James Franco's choice of sex partners.
- Straight, straight, straight.
- Not, not, not.
- Maybe he just shoves his dick into whatever is handy?
I have admit I'm puzzled by all the single actors who seem to have no girlfriends.
I can understand those who beard (Travolta, Cruise, DiCaprio, Jackman) but Franco? I can't figure him.
- Just saw his movie Interior Leather Bar. It was not what I expected. It was 70% documentary, showing background filming, JF talking about why sex is taboo on film, choosing actors, etc. The 30% of actual recreation was lackluster viewing.
The actor portraying the Al Pacino character was kind of awful and ugly.
- Is James Franco naturally smooth or does he have laser light surgery?
- He's insane, but I can't help it.
I love him.
- I think that James is pan-sexual.
- There have been a few blind items about him, but nothing publicly proven.
- Has he started rehearsals yet for Of Mice and Men?
- He needs to present hole!
- [quote]To me Dave seems much more interesting than James
- Why do you hope he's gay, OP? You sound like a 13-year-old boy.
- The NY Times just posted an open letter that James wrote about Shia La Boeuf.
THE recent erratic behavior of Shia LaBeouf, the 27-year-old actor best known as the star of the “Transformers” movies, has sent the press into a feeding frenzy. Though the wisdom of some of his actions may seem questionable, as an actor and artist I’m inclined to take an empathetic view of his conduct.
Let’s review the facts. First, in December, Mr. LaBeouf was accused of plagiarism after critics noted similarities between “Howard Cantour.com,” a short film he created, and a story by the graphic novelist Daniel Clowes. Though Mr. LaBeouf apologized on Twitter, conceding that he had “neglected to follow proper accreditation,” it turned out that the apology itself appropriated someone else’s writing. Was that clever or pathological?
Then, earlier this month, with these actions focusing the tabloid gaze on him, he wore a paper bag over his head that read “I am not famous anymore” at the red-carpet premiere of his latest movie, “Nymphomaniac.” And last week he staged an art show called “#IAmSorry” that involved having him sit opposite visitors to a Los Angeles gallery while he wore a similar bag over his head and stared at them through cutout eye holes.
This behavior could be a sign of many things, from a nervous breakdown to mere youthful recklessness. For Mr. LaBeouf’s sake I hope it is nothing serious. Indeed I hope — and, yes, I know that this idea has pretentious or just plain ridiculous overtones — that his actions are intended as a piece of performance art, one in which a young man in a very public profession tries to reclaim his public persona.
Actors have been lashing out against their profession and its grip on their public images since at least Marlon Brando. Brando’s performances revolutionized American acting precisely because he didn’t seem to be “performing,” in the sense that he wasn’t putting something on as much as he was being. Off-screen he defied the studio system’s control over his image, allowing his weight to fluctuate, choosing roles that were considered beneath him and turning down the Oscar for best actor in 1973. These were acts of rebellion against an industry that practically forces an actor to identify with his persona while at the same time repeatedly wresting it from him.
At times I have felt the need to dissociate myself from my work and public image. In 2009, when I joined the soap opera “General Hospital” at the same time as I was working on films that would receive Oscar nominations and other critical acclaim, my decision was in part an effort to jar expectations of what a film actor does and to undermine the tacit — or not so tacit — hierarchy of entertainment.
As an actor, you are often in the uncomfortable position of being the most visible part of a project while having the least amount of say over its final form. In one of the most striking scenes in “I’m Still Here,” a 2010 film co-written by Joaquin Phoenix that purported to document his life as he retired from acting and became a hip-hop artist, Mr. Phoenix paced around his yard at night, ranting about the submissiveness of being an actor. Even if the conceit was ultimately a joke (and initially it wasn’t clear that it was, for Mr. Phoenix stayed in character in public throughout the filming), the movie was nonetheless earnest about an actor’s need to take back a little bit of power over his image by making such a film.
Any artist, regardless of his field, can experience distance between his true self and his public persona. But because film actors typically experience fame in greater measure, our personas can feel at the mercy of forces far beyond our control. Our rebellion against the hand that feeds us can instigate a frenzy of commentary that sets in motion a feedback loop: acting out, followed by negative publicity, followed by acting out in response to that publicity, followed by more publicity, and so on.
Participating in this call and response is a kind of critique, a way to show up the media by allowing their oversize responses to essentially trivial actions to reveal the emptiness of their raison d’être. Believe me, this game of peek-a-boo can be very addictive.
Mr. LaBeouf has been acting since he was a child, and often an actor’s need to tear down the public creation that constrains him occurs during the transition from young man to adult. I think Mr. LaBeouf’s project, if it is a project, is a worthy one. I just hope that he is careful not to use up all the good will he has gained as an actor in order to show us that he is an artist.
- Maladies is another queer-themed movie he's done.
David Strathairn plays a queen, Catherin Keener plays a (drag) king.
I'm curious to see if his character has any queer tendencies.
- I'm glad he is supporting Shia but LaBeouf may have more serious personality problems.
- James is looking chunky. Needs to lay off the carbs.
- What's with him and Seth Rogen's fascination with Kim & Kanye? First the video spoof, and now they're spoofing the Vogue cover. It's getting kind of tiresome.
- HOLY SHIT! I just searched "Sean Cody" on Bing, and on the side, there was a snippet of the Wikipedia entry for SC with an image next to it...and the image is of James Franco. WTF?!
- ^ Does anyone else get the same result on Bing?
- LOL now that is funny! :P
He needs to make a movie with the Sean Cody guys.
- He is so gay.
- He is spending a lot of time in Brooklyn...not sure who with.
- Is he dating with Klaus Biesenbach?
- Wasn't he meant to be Ted C's Crotch Uh Lastic?
- Hilarious Review of is new "poems::
[quote]James Franco's poems: hard to forgive
James Franco's first collection of poetry includes an ode to Heath Ledger and a poem in the voice of Lindsay Lohan
[quote]North Korea recently condemned the actor James Franco's upcoming film, The Interview, as "an act of terrorism and war". Let's hope they don't find out about his poems.
Franco's debut collection, Directing Herbert White, is being published by Faber (yes, really). It's the latest artistic hand grenade to be lobbed by the Hollywood renaissance man who, aside from starring in films such as Pineapple Express, 127 Hours and Spring Breakers, is the author of short stories, a novel and some questionable journalism; director of the short film Dicknose in Paris, in which he walked around the French capital with a prosthetic phallus attached to his face; and painter of nudes of his co-star Seth Rogen (plagiarised, apparently intentionally, from another artist). His semi-drag recreations of Cindy Sherman's photography led New York Times critic Roberta Smith to call him "embarrassingly clueless about art".
Everything Franco says and does is wreathed in a protective thicket of irony and "persona": even his cameo in the US soap opera General Hospital was presented as an attempt to "disrupt" the audience's suspension of disbelief. If that sounds a bit studenty to you, he was also enrolled in four graduate study programmes at the time. Introducing a poetry reading during the Chicago Humanities Festival, Franco said that his work was "trying to say something in addition to what's on the surface". A morbid obsession with doomed celebrity is a running theme. Inevitably, more than one poem alludes to Heath Ledger. "Ledger" is the most explicit about it.....
- He has hamster hands like the gays.
Straight as they come.
- Few years ago Jake moved to New York.
Are James Franco and Jake Gyllenhaal dating?
Alexa Mittman @alexa_mittman 21m
And a guy who writes jokes for film scripts and claimed James Franco and Jake Gyllenhaal are dating...
- I think James Franco and Zachary Quinto would make a great and hot couple! They must date.
- james franco's new movie "good people" is insufferable. gay or nor, he needs to disappear for a little bit
- James Franco may be having sex with his roommate Scott Haze whose gender is irrelevant.
- He will come out of the closet soon, i hope.
- Why does he keep doing every other movie with Seth Rogen? His career is a total joke these days with all these stupid movies lately.
- He had so much promise....sigh
- Hosting SNL
- He was really great the first time he hosted SNL when Pineapple Express (actually his best performance in a movie) was out.
But yeah, he really has become utterly egomaniacal, pretentious, and thoroughly uncool. I used to really care whether he was gay or not. Now I have practically zero interest in him.
- James Franco is like James Dean or Marlon Brando bi. He has had lots of homo sex but he is eccentric and will never let a label term come from his mouth. It will come out eventually of course just like James Dean. It's an opem secret
- R353, if you know more, you should share. Anonymously of course.
- I bet he's never had any sexual contact with a guy outside of acting. He just wants the pink dollars.
Oh but he has. He may have stopped fucking guys now, but he sure was when he was in college here on the east coast.
detail, please! you had a sex with him?
- Two film legends and an American guy.
- Creepy how he keeps hanging out with Courtney love. Two psycho attention whores.
- I can back up R356
I have no idea whom he's fucking now but when I studied at NYU, he attended there (among other schools) and many of us there were aware that he was fucking guys and girls.
He wasn't OTT obvious about it but it was talked about.