- is this the third of three or the first of the next three....
- With Gloria Stuart and Arthur Penn, that makes three. I''m in the clear!
- Eddie Fisher%0D\
- strange, he kept muttering about losing a glove...and then something about an anagram
- RIP Stony.
- I''m sad.
- Didn''t see this one coming. Was he on the death list predictions for this year?
- Wikipedia has been updated:
- R5= Wilma Flintstone.
- I think Kirk Douglas, John Gavin and Herbert Lom are the only actors left from "Spartacus" now.
- It''s "Antoninus", OP.
- Some Like It Hot \
- Strange, there''s nothing on imdb...
- So, R13? IMDB is hardly a major news site.\
They''ll probably put it up as Breaking News later this morning. It''s still early in the AM.
- Now the Breaking News banner on CNN:
- Yeah, I''d forgotten about that, R14. It''s past noon here.
- People whose first thoughts are "that makes three!" are sooo pathetic.
- It''s only 6:30 AM on the Eastern Coast of the U.S.
- He was married six times.
- In drag in Some Like It Hot, he was my first crush. So beautiful. RIP
- I will always remember him for how outspoken he was that Brokeback Mountain should not get any awards, and certainly not any Oscars.%0D\
- He was hot in "Spartacus" too
- Perhaps he wasn''t thinking right at the time, R21, because apparently he was known to be gay-friendly.\
He also didn''t seem to mind re-dubbing his lines for the restored "Spartacus" a few years back for the homoerotic bathing scene between him and Laurence Olivier.
- I''m checking out pictures of him in a steam room ads with Hugh O''Brian, Rock Hudson,Scott Brady ect in the book "Hollywood Babylon ..Strikes again!"
- It''s now on IMDB:
- And PEOPLE:
- Jamie Lee will never be able to poop comfortably again over this distress.
- Has Jamie Lee issued a statement?%0D\
I will always remember him for the line:%0D\
" I wull go to the castle of my fadduh!"%0D\
I''m jobless so I think I''ll watch "The Vikings" on hulu, today%0D\
I wonder if LArry King will sit shiva on his show?%0D\
See. This is when I will miss Larry King! People will die and who will mourn!
- he was a homophobic assclown with the iq of a peanut.%0D\
good riddance tony cuntis
- "Has Jamie Lee issued a statement?"\
Not so far. Her rep contacted ET about the death though.
- Just saw him in "Sex and the Single Girl." Bacall is the last one standing from that one.
- You''re full of shit. He wasn''t homophobic. In fact, he was one of the featured talking heads in the celluloid closet. He was very funny and self-deprecating.
- Homophobic? I thought he wrote in his autobiography he was bi? Also, that gossip columnist in Star magazine, Janet Charlton, said in the late 1950''s Tony and Danny Kaye used to go around Hollywood dressed in drag wearing ball gowns.\
Did Jamie Lee Curtis ever write an autobiography growing up in tinsel town?
- Never heard gay rumors about Hugh O''Brian though he didn''t marry until 2006 at 81. %0D\
Debby Reynolds was at the wedding.
- "Hugh O''Brian, Rock Hudson,Scott Brady ect"%0D\
It''s Me Again
- [quote]I will always remember him for how outspoken he was that Brokeback Mountain should not get any awards, and certainly not any Oscars.\
So what? I agree with him.
- A friend of mine went on vacation to the Caribbean and the early 90s and TOny brought a"friend" along with him. The person in question was a much younger very effete gentleman who kept saying:"Tony,Tony!" Tony admitted that he was with guys as well. I think he prefered women though...
- I liked him more after his appearance in The Celluloid Closet...It was nice to see an actor from his era talk about gay subtext in movies.\
- Now since Tony Curtis is dead author Darwin Porter is going to write a biography on him saying he had sex with the same actors he uses over and over in his biographies, Marlon Brando, Montgomery Clift, Merv Griffin, and Rock Hudson. It''s like Darwin Porter presses a button, and a machine just shoots his bogus crap out. The only difference is he changes the names and tweaks the information here and there. I don''t doubt Tony Curtis was bi because there is plenty information out there that he was, including his autobiography. I just think Darwin Porter is a sleaze ball that puts his own spin on things.
- Great quote from the L.A. Times obit:%0D\
"I''m telling you, I''m lucky to be me," the former Bernie Schwartz told a Buffalo News reporter in 1993. "When I was a kid, I wanted to be Tony Curtis, and that''s exactly who I am."%0D\
- The correct quote is:%0D\
"Yonduh lies the castle of my fadduh."%0D\
which he spoke to the lovely Piper Laurie in The Prince Who Was a Thief (or was it Son of Ali Baba?).%0D\
Tony was stuck in awful Universal B movies until Burt Lancaster chose him as his costar in the A list Trapeze in 1956. The pairing was quickly followed by 1957''s The Sweet Smell of Success.
- "Yonda is da castle of my faduh."
- My partner had him in the East Side Club in the early 80s.
- My parents met him in Vegas a few years back. He kissed them both and they loved it. He was my mom''s teen dream idol.
- Per the NY Times:\
[quote]Mr. Curtis endured several more Universal costume pictures, including the infamous 1954 film %E2%80%9CThe Black Shield of Falworth,%E2%80%9D in which he co-starred with Ms. Leigh but [bold]did not utter the line, %E2%80%9CYondah lies da castle of my foddah,%E2%80%9D [/bold]that legend has attributed to him. His career seemed stalled until Burt Lancaster, another actor who survived a difficult childhood in New York City, took him under his wing.
- His whole career was one long Cary Grant impression.
- Yes, in his first autobiography he addresses those gay rumors saying he has had "close adult relationships with men all my life. I felt no need to explain them then, and no need to explain them now."\
So at least bi - he was married many times and had lots of kids.\
Last thing I saw him in was that SOME LIKE IT HOT the musical tour (SUGAR) where he played the Joe E. Brown role and sang "I Fall in Love Too Easily". He was old then, but never missed a show the whole tour, and did running trenches with the rest of the cast during the curtain call/bows to the title number.
- He and Burt Lancaster were just excellent in Sweet Smell of Success. In fact, I think their characters are two of the creepiest in American cinema.
- Does anyone have a clip of him saying his (in)famous line? I can''t find anything on YouTube.
- The NYT obit/bio is the best so far. I had no idea he had such a harrowing childhood!%0D\
His parents were Hungarian Jews. His father had a modest tailor shop in the Bronx, and his mother was mentally ill, and beat him and his brothers. %0D\
One of his brothers was also mentally ill, the other one was hit by a truck and killed when Tony was a little kid. When he was eight,his parents gave him and his brother up to state homes because they couldn''t afford to keep them. %0D\
He dropped out of high school and joined the Navy for WWII, took acting classes when he got out.%0D\
I had no idea he never won an Oscar. He certainly did excellent work in "The Boston Strangler," "The Sweet Smell of Success," "Some Like It Hot," and "The Defiant Ones." He even learned how to perform on the trapeze for the movie (same name.) Burt Lancaster was athletic, but Tony matched him.%0D\
He was also active in the Civil Rights movement in the 60''s. He went to Selma with Marlon Brando and a lot of others.
- I was sent to a summer camp run by priests when i was 8. I remember they ran a movie one night with Curtis called "The Great Impostor" or something like that in which Curtis takes his shirt off to help his girlfriend with the dinner dishes. And I remember thinking that I really liked how he looked with his shirt off, but wondered why, exactly, it was required to strip to dry crockery. It never happened that way at my house. Of course, the priests probably ran that movie because they liked to see Tony Curtis'' chest, too.\
Anyway, that began my youthful obsession with Tony Curtis.
- He also helped to restore the largest synagogue in Budapest.
- "Why would a guy want to marry another guy?"%0D
Another golden age star leaves us. He was among the last "wave" of studio system stars who came of age in the 1950's. He was painfully gorgeous in that era, too. Black curly hair and the most gorgeous eyes! He was a mess, of course, (as many if, not most of the studio stars were) once the system broke down and he was sort of "cast out" into the world to fend for himself. It was a rocky road.%0D
His career never reached the heights it did during the days of Spartacus and Some Like It Hot, etc. But he did a lot of good work and became a darned good actor. He deserved an Oscar.%0D
He had some awful toupees for years but finally got some that looked pretty good during the last decade or so of his life.%0D
He was always fun in interviews and was very over the top.%0D
He was not unlike Joan Crawford in that he had a horrible hardscrabble childhood, came up from nothing (with no education) and through fierce determination and ambition, some lucky breaks and hard work, carved out a Hollywood star.
- He was mean to Marilyn.
- Old Ray Liotta
- However Ray Liotta had a good nose job.
Park Avenue Plastic Surgeon
- He was lucky in that everything he did in that golden period of the late 50s to early 60s was and remains a classic - but by the late 60s he had peaked and back in dreck-ville making anything he was offered - but then most good-looking actors get about 10 years max. %0D\
He was certainly stuck in Universal fodder until canny Burt picked him for Sweet Smell of Success in ''57 after their teaming in Trapeze in ''56 and I just know Burt was bi ... so did he want pretty boy Tony ?
- Thank you OP, for the good taste to have avoided the words "breaking" and "passed" in your headline.
- R50 - he never actually said that. Scroll up for a quote from the NY Times.
- No way on Earth he was ever hot enough to be anyone''s idea of a slave boy.
- Saw him on some British show about six months ago. His head was shaved and he looked puffy and strangely not unlike Rod Steiger. Very sad.
- I''m still convinced he had an affair with Burt Lancaster. As noted, Lancaster "took him under his wing" and really helped his career in the late 1950s, and there''s a burning sexual chemistry between them in "Trapeze" and the very homoerotic "Sweet Smell of Success" (both produced by Lancaster). %0D\
In a biography of Lancaster, it said that "Trapeze" was shot in Paris, and both Burt and Tony stayed in a hotel... and sent their wives and kids to stay in the country.
- Loved ''Trapeze''. Burt, Tony, the campy Gina Lollobrigida. Almost inspired me to run off and join a circus. Curtis made some classics that will negate all the awful work he did in the beginning and late part of his career and put him up there with the great stars.\
He did, however, owe an apology for suggesting Mitchum was a racist for not doing ''The Defiant Ones'' It was later proven Mitchum was not --he had been on a chain gang once and said a white and black man would never have been chained together in that era. That was his problem with the script, not that he didn''t want to work with Poitier.
- Has Janet Leigh released a statement?
- About this time last year, I saw him at the Sedona Art Festival, where he was a featured artist. He was constantly surrounded by women.
- "And before he could get a word out, I rolled down the window, stuck my head out and said very loud: ''I fucked Yvonne De Carlo!''"
- A strange guy. He admitted he fucked men during his career, and didn''t seem to think it that strange; but then he bitched and moaned about "Brokeback Mountain."\
He could be good if you got him in the right part, but he was usually not cast as New York street types (which he was), for some insane reason.
- You just know that Tony and Burt Lancaster fucked.
- I would have fucked both of them. I hope they did fuck each other.
- R65 -- Janet Leigh died in 2004
- R36- you agree that brokeback Mountain was a terrible movie because it ruined the cowboy mythos by making the characters gay? What the hell are you doing on this board, asshole?%0D\
Once loved him, but his homophobic remarks around Brokeback will be the thing I remember him for. It was unnecesary, and completely hypocritical.%0D\
It should also be noted that he later backed away from the notion that he''d ever had anything more than friendships with other men, Perhaps he found god late in life? He certainly found homophobia.%0D\
He was wonderful in his hey day, but should''ve left the world before the unfortunate homophobic impulses too over.%0D\
Of course now he''ll be outed by every author who ever knew him.
- Jamie Lee has released a statement:
- Sometimes it just becomes legend that you said a line that you never did.
"Play it again, Sam."
- [quote]Janet Leigh died in 2004%0D\
No excuse, R71, that''s what a publicist is for.
- I agree that he was a total ass clown. No one ever thought much of him as an actor so why he didn''t keep his comments about BBM to himself is beyond me. All I thought at the time is "What''s his problem?"%0D\
He should know how hard people work get films made, to make them and in particular a film like BBM and just kept his mouth shut.%0D\
Good riddance, Tony Curtis. You asswipe.
- [quote]He admitted he fucked men during his career, and didn''t seem to think it that strange; but then he bitched and moaned about "Brokeback Mountain."%0D\
The secret to having a gay old time in his era was to be discreet about it. You could fuck anyone you wanted so long as you paired up in public with a glamorous member of the opposite sex. He would have resented the openness of BBM because it spoiled the fun as he knew it. He waited until he was old and his career had cooled off before he told anyone about the men in his life.
- Yes but old people need to realise - TIMES CHANGE.
- When did he admit to fucking men?
- He was a major piece of ass in his day; you cannot tell me he did not have lots of gay sex to get to his star position in that era.
- And let''s not forget what a fine artist he was. %0D\
He could do a sad clown painting like no one''s business.
Zsa Zsa''s loaded diaper
- Tony Curtis played the definitive "David O. Selznick" in "The Scarlett O''Hara War."
- I think it was on Charlie Rose that Curtis told a story about taking his younger brother to the Central Park Zoo. Curtis was 13 or 14, and when it came time to feed the seals, the crowd swelled and everyone was pushed together. He felt a strange sensation and then realized that a man standing behind him was pressing his erect cock against Curtis'' backside.\
The story was told in the context of when he began to realize that his looks might be out of the ordinary.
- As a kid, one of my favorite "Early Show" movies was "Houdini" co-starring Janet Leigh.
- Laurence Olivier wanted him to be his sex slave in "Spartacus".
- Tony Curtis in his prime. Tell me you wouldn''t have fucked him six ways to Sunday.
- It''s Jamie Leigh as in Leigh, get it?
- Watch me sitting shivah this Monday on Dancing With the Stars! 8:00/7:00 Central.
Jamie Lee Curtis
- I want Tony inside me quite deeply.
- But didn''t Tony himself create the legend of that mispronounced line? I could swear I heard him retell it in some interview.%0D\
He and Janet Leigh were an INCREDIBLY hot couple in the 1950s...a lot more than Debbie and Eddie, Liz and Eddie and Anybody and Eddie.%0D\
I was shocked to recently hear that Billy Wilder had to bring in another actor to dub the voice of Geraldine, Tony''s female counterpart in Some Like It Hot.%0D\
I can only think with his body of work, he must not have been very beloved or appreciated by Hollywood if he was never even considered for an honorary Oscar.%0D\
Perhaps Jamie Lee will come out with a memoir now.
- BBM was OK, but it certainly wasn''t Oscar material.
- [quote] As a kid, one of my favorite "Early Show" movies was "Houdini" co-starring Janet Leigh.\
- TCM already has their tribute lined up, but no Some Like it Hot or Houdini which seems very odd.
- I don''t see ''Spartacus'' either.
- Rory Calhoun. by Liz Evaluates
"He was Guy Madison's longtime lover, and those
two gorgeous boys enjoyed banging each other more than they enjoyed banging me me. But I had both of them on several occasions and once we tried a three-way similar to the one I had with those brothers, Lawrence Tierney and Scott Brady. One night Rory fucked Guy in the ass, while Guy pounded me. Quite a night. Rory came up the hard way and even serve time in prison. But then who hasn't? He climbed the lavender ladder to success with handsome Alan Ladd and with the voracious, cocksucking faggot, Henry Wilson, agent from hell. When he wasn't plugging Guy, Rory nailed Betty Grable,Marilyn Manroe and Susan Hayward. He told me he broke into movies fucking Ladd, who suggested he give acting a try. I told him Ladd had fucked me. Rory agreed with me most actors are bi.Every man makes requests for what turns him on.Instead of a blow job, Rory likes his armpits licked as a means of him getting hard. He told me that both Guy and Marilyn would do that for him..."
Book: Hollywood Babylon..Strikes Again!
- They may not have the rights to air some of the films named above. Movies from libraries owned by Time Warner, like MGM and Warner Brothers, can be played on demand, but other films have to be leased individually. Even if they''ve shown "Spartacus" before, they may not have a deal with Universal to show it now, and may not have the time or money to include it in the tribute.
- Errol Flynn. by Liz Evaluates
"He was quite a cocksman, and I learned the secrets of his success with woman and young boys. He was completely bisexual. Before mounting me, he put cocaine on the tip of his penis. Before getting into the saddle, he likes to be fellated, and he sure filled up a girl's mouth. He told me he's had sex 12,000 to 14,000 times in his life-the gender didn't matter-sometimes at the rate of four times a day. I was honored to be included in his list of lovers-some really big names like Howard Huges, Laurence Oliver,Eva Peron, Tyrone Power, Doris Duke,Rock Hudson,Babara Hutton and Truman Capote. 'I'm just a goddamn phallic symbol to the world,' he told me. I wanted my thing with Errol to continue, but he had to many other holes in Hollywood to service to make me one of his regulars. Frankly, I think he preferred 14-year old boys ass and 15-year old girl virgins, and I didn't fit the category.I later read that he was the Gestapo's most glamorous agent. That really startled me. I found that hard to believe, Instead of spying for the Nazis, I think he preferred rape-statutory or otherwise, personal brawls, drinking bouts, voyeurism, and old fashioned screwing st the front or back door."
Hollywood Babylon..Strikes Again!
- R3 was the first I heard about Greg Giraldo being dead. I didn''t know the family had pulled life support. I am not taking this well, surprisingly.\
Tony Curtis kind of surprises me, but it''s not like he was young.
- Goodnight you GREAT LESLIE you.
- He was gorgeous when young
- Sorry but Tony played Josephine in Some Like It Hot....there was no Geraldine.
- I can forgive TCM not showing Spartacus, and I''ll give them a pass on Some Like it Hot because they show it so often, but Houdini, especially since it co-starred Janet Leigh, should definitely have made the list.\
That said, I was just looking through IMDB, and, holy cow, he made some real crap late in his career.
- TCM''s 24 hour tribute:\
* 5 a.m. Beachhead (1954) - with Frank Lovejoy and Mary Murphy\
* 6:45 a.m. Kings Go Forth (1958) - with Frank Sinatra and Natalie Wood\
* 8:45 a.m. The Vikings (1958) - with Kirk Douglas, Ernest Borgnine and Janet Leigh\
* 10:45 a.m. Operation Petticoat (1959) - with Cary Grant and Dina Merrill\
* 1 p.m. Who Was That Lady? (1960) - with Janet Leigh and Dean Martin\
* 3:15 p.m. Sex and the Single Girl (1964) - with Natalie Wood, Lauren Bacall and Henry Fonda\
* 5:15 p.m. You Can''t Win ''Em All (1970) - with Charles Bronson and Mich%C3%A8le Mercier\
* 7 p.m. Sweet Smell of Success (1957) - with Burt Lancaster and Martin Milner\
* 8:45 p.m. The Defiant Ones (1958) - with Sidney Poitier and Theodore Bikel\
* 10:30 p.m. Trapeze (1956) - with Burt Lancaster and Gina Lollobrigida\
* 12:30 a.m. The Great Race (1965) - with Jack Lemmon and Natalie Wood\
* 3:15 a.m. Don''t Make Waves (1967) -with Claudia Cardinale and Sharon Tate
- I did not know Elvis copied Curtis''s hairdo until I read it today.
- At one time that lying, swishy bastard was going around to all the talk shows claiming he had sex with Marilyn Monroe in order to get attention and publize..something...maybe he wrote a book, I don''t remember. %0D\
Curtis couldn''t stand Marilyn and wasn''t nice to her when he worked with her and he said that kissing her in Some Like it Hot was like kissing Hitler! Jack Lemmon was a gentleman and very nice to Marilyn. But Curtis was an attention seeking, lying, arrogant prick to the end. Good riddance.
- R105 is truly a hysterical, retarded, idiot Marilyn queen. %0D\
Tony Curtis DID have a brief affair with Monroe in the early days of their careers. Marilyn got around. She fucked practically everybody. It was no big deal for either of them.%0D\
Yeah, Curtis couldn''t stand her. Neither could anybody else on the set of Some Like It Hot, and that includes Jack Lemmon. He pitied her, but he found her as unbearable as everybody else did. %0D\
I remember a story from the set of Some Like It Hot. Lemmon and Curtis and Monroe were all in costume, Lemmon and Curtis in full drag. Seeing Curtis in a tight skirt, a member of the crew said to Monroe, "Tony''s ass is better than yours!" To which Marilyn replied, "well, he doesn''t have THESE", and proceeded to whip out her jugs. Marilyn was quite the exhibitionist.
- "Marilyn got around. She fucked practically everybody."\
Why was she such a whore?
- But Jack Lemmon had the good taste not to disparage any of his colleagues in the press.
- He hated Shelley Winters. They worked on two films together and on the first one between takes Tony was drawing. Shelley walked by and said "What the hell are you drawing for, you should be studying your lines!"
- It''s a shame that Tony could never build on the acclaim he earned for his Sidney Falco in The Sweeet Smell of Success, a role said to be closer to his persona and background than all of the light comedic parts and silly historic exotic princes he played most often. %0D\
Was he just thought to be too pretty for any of the more rugged and gritty roles in the 1960s? Or was he simply too lazy to pursue those parts?
- [quote] strange, he kept muttering about losing a glove...and then something about an anagram%0D\
He did not lose his glove. He and Guy switched ties that time they met for drinks.
Rosemary, Quite the Happy Lady, Living In The Bram
- I have seen him wearing makeup in real life.
- "Sidney Falco in The Sweeet Smell of Success, a role said to be closer to his persona and background than all of the light comedic parts and silly historic exotic princes he played most often."%0D\
Another role that must have been closer to his real self was the hustling Lt. Holden in "Operation Petticoat". Holden came from nothing and was using his looks, charm, and missing ethics to rise in the world; he was a brilliant comic variation on the same character.%0D\
Hilarious film, BTW, and Curtis is so good he holds his own with Cary Grant. Check it out then next time it''s on TCM.
- "I was honored to be included in his list of lovers-some really big names like Howard Huges, Laurence Oliver,Eva Peron..."\
Errol Flynn fucked Eva Peron?
He played the Boston Strangler in the mid 60s.
- He was already paunching out and going to seed when he played the Boston Strangler.
- I loved Operation Petticoat (1959)and I was going to post that r104, I remember reading that along time ago since I was a big Elvis fan. \
No on has mentioned the TV show The Persuaders, loved that show and I bought the same type of Jacket he wore on that show. \
I''m a Lesbian and thought he was beautiful, and of course I''ve had a crush on his daughter JLC since I first laid eyes on her.\
The first movie I remember seeing him in was Six Bridges to Cross where Sal Mineo played his character as a young man.
- Did he hook up with Cary Grant?
- reply 106\
Darling..if anyone sounds "hysterical" its YOU.\
Any time Monroe''s name is brought up you drag your tired ass out of the gutter and spew your vitriol endlessly. Give it a rest dear. You have grown tedious and frankly, because of your bitter tone its hard to take anything you post seriously . I question why you despise someone as essentially endearing as Marilyn Monroe. And please don''t give me bullshit about not being able to tolerate "Idiot Marilyn " worshippers. Why should you be so vested in what others say about a woman who has been dead for over 40 years. Are you insane??? or just an evil bitter cunt??
- Yul Brynner. by Liz Evaluates.
"He was a bit of a shit, a pig big really.but he knows how to turn a woman on. He wanted me three ways. He told me that in addition to Marlene Dietrich,Joan Crawford, Marilyn Manroe and Tallulah Bankhead, he once banged Nancy Davis, She was the one who married the president. I went after Ronnie myself, but he got away.I was too much woman for that nerd.Even though Scott Brady had warned me, I didn't get a request to used a dildo on Yule. He had an uncut cock and used to pose for nudes. I understand that Andy Warhol bought an original nude of him for a lot of money.When aroused, Yul rose to an impressive eight inches.Something like that. I didn't actually take measurements. He told me he lost his virginity to a woman when he was only ten years old. Perhaps he exaggerated, but things like that happen. I found out he was addicted to opium. Deborah Kerr,of all people, has gone on record claiming he was a 'very sensual man.' He was, He liked to eat half a grape then kiss me while I shared the other half. I guess that's what i known as sensual."
Hollywood Babylon Strikes again!
- Wait, r120--is that what Tony Curtis said about Yul Brynner?\
If not, who said it? And why would you be posting it on a thread about Tony Curtis?
- I remember on the Susielee thread, she said Tony Curtis was a liar about having a fling with Marilyn. She said, he was making it up to sell his book about the film Some Like It Hot. She said he truly did not like her at all. Tony Curtis was just stunningly handsome, but I think he exaggerated a lot to sell books, and he was a phony.
- As he got old, he just got crazier and crazier. I DO think he made a bunch of stuff up to keep himself in the spotlight. Who could disprove what he said? Most of those folks were all dead. If he slept with Marilyn, well, it was just his word. He did have "proximity" to her, for sure.%0D\
As all those other old stars were, he was "manufactured" with an artificial name. He grew up around the publicity mills, with made up stories keeping stars in the spotlight. Everything ABOUT them was false, including their backgrounds and names. He learned from the best during Hollywood''s golden age. In writing his late in life books and telling stories, I am sure the ghosts of Hedda Hopper, Louella Parsons and Walter Winchell were hovering somewhere nearby editing his copy.%0D\
Tony Curtis was the Brad Pitt and George Clooney of his day. Times ten.
- But r123 it is precisely Tony''s manufactured Hollywood artifice that makes him so fascinating today. He was one of the last of a breed of god-like stars who in their heyday completely seduced the American public yet came from origins far more humble than most of their audience. A truly American story!
Archibald Leach and Tula Finklea
- Glad someone mentioned The Persuaders and The Great Race. Curtis had fun with his image in both.
- Why were he and Jamie estranged for so long?
- Tony and pal on set of "Don''t Make Waves". Be sure to watch it when TCM shows it.
- He was a phony. I used to see him at The Gaiety in New York,always alone. Recently Curtis was involved with a very shady character in Vegas who has tried to sell a 1959 Cadillac fleetwood as Marilyn''s own personal car. Claiming it was used during the filming of Some Like It Hot. Marilyn NEVER personally owned a 1959 Cadillac and only used a studio limo during the shoot. Curtis was made a secret partner in the sale and went on to shamelessly promote the caddy as belonging to MM. The car was priced at $200.000 and Curtis would have made a bundle off the sale. Fortunately, many Monroe fans publicly questioned the ownership, knowing it was a fraud, and the car has not sold. Curtis was a liar and had absolutely no reservations about making money off of Monroe''s name.You could not believe a word out of his mouth. Curtis never slept with Monroe.
- No matter where I go, I know where I came from (from the Bronx!)
tony from the black
- Could he BE any gayer?
http://www.seraphicpress.com/images/Tony Curtis ''52.jpg
- Well, admittedly, you can see a lot of where Elvis got his look and style in that very early photo of Tony though it filtered out of Elvis into something entirely different.
- Tony Curtis in drag set the standard for female (impersonating) beauty. I try to do my best to live up that standard along with a contemporary beauty, Guy Pearce, in drag.%0D\
Is He still dead??? Or was he lying about that too???
- Tony Curtis shows director Stanley Kubrick some card tricks on the set of 'Spartacus'
- In 1970, Tony Curtis playd with Charles Bronson in the movie 'You Can't Win'Em All'. They shoot this film in Turkey. Tony, in his autobiography 'American Prince' writes about Charles Bronson and about Turkey...:
'Charles Bronson and i took over. Charley was a thoughtful, intelligent man, and he and i got along very well.'
'Turkey was an interesting country. A local Columbia pictures employee recommended that i go to a Turkish bath in Instabul, but when i went into the place and got undressed, i discovered a lot of guys standing around with erections. As calmly as i could, i delicately turned around, put my trousers back on, and got the hell out of there.'
- Tony Curtis about his fourth wife...
'On the last day of February 1993, i married for the fourth time. I wasn't expecting it and i wasn't looking for it, but even though i was in my late sixties i was still capable of falling head over heels for a stunningly beautiful woman.'
'I was attending a dinner at the Friar's Club when i looked over at the next table and saw a young woman whose plunging neckline revealed quite a bit of the most beautiful, inviting breasts i had ever seen. She was a tiny girl, not more than five foot two, but she was so sexy that i couldn't help staring at her for the rest of the evening, imagining what it would be like to make love to her. I don't know what it is about breasts that revs me up. Maybe i didn't get enough breastfeeding when i was a baby. But whenever i feel an attraction like that, i put my charm into overdrive and see if i can make something good happen.'
'I was 67 and she was 33, but in my mind's eye i was still a youngster. I'm fortunate enough to feel that way now, as of this writing i'm 83. When you get to a certain stage in life, women your own age seem ancient. Of course, they're no more ancient that you are, but they don't match up with the way you feel. I know it sounds crazy but i refuse to give up that part of me that is still in tune with my youth-that part of me that still wants to steam up the windows in a car by making out. Why should i give that up if i don't have to?'
- Bearding up right to the end.
- R137, in his autobiography Curtis says that he hasn't anything against gay people. He says that if someone is gay, it's not a fucking big deal but homosexuality, he says, is not his kind of thing. He also mentions George Cukor and Vincente Minnelli and mentions that they both were of the greatest directors and it didn't matter their sexual orientation. He happened to work with Minnelli in a movie and he praise him as a director. He also says that whenever someone happened to call Minnelli a faggot behind of his back, he(Tony Curtis)didn't let that pass and put the other guy in his place.
Anyway, i don't try to defend him. He was a huge jerk and it comes out in his autobiography, lol! However, 'American Prince' is a very interesting book, he seem to know how not to be boring.
- Here are some photos of this cocky jerk.
- ****BREAKING NEWS****
Three years later, Tony Curtis is still dead.
- Guess he didn't eat enough Boniva
- Boniva=Sally Field
Activia=Jamie Lee Curtis...
- Sidney Poitier, Tony Curtis, Sammy Davis jr & Jack Lemmon
- [quote] strange, he kept muttering about losing a glove...and then something about an anagram
It was his tie. And he didn't lose it, he exchanged his with Guy's.
I have to hang up now....
- With Marilyn
- And this
- Curtis found himself in an odd position in 2005, when he was widely quoted as blasting Brokeback Mountain, apparently taking offence at the notion of "gay cowboys." He insists now that he was widely misquoted.
"I never said that I didn't like the film. I just didn't know what the big deal was. To see two guys falling in love? A lot of people were waiting for them to break out the Vaseline and start fucking each other up the ass. People didn't want to see the subtleties unfold."
Curtis now says he loves his gay fans, and notes that he worked with many gay men in Hollywood over the years, including director Vincente Minnelli. And he says he loved the references to his work in the teen comedy Clueless (1995), in which star Alicia Silverstone realizes the boy she's pining over is gay, in large part because he's rented a series of Tony Curtis movies.
"I loved that!" he says.
Curtis racked up more serious queer film cred when he appeared in an amorous scene with Laurence Olivier in a hot tub in Spartacus (1960) —a scene that was famously cut by prudish censors, only to be restored in the director's cut decades later.
"I've always had great, profound friendships with gay men."
But Curtis closes our interview with an assertion of his heterosexuality: "You know, I think that one of the most beautiful moments a guy can have is going down on a girl. That corridor that lasts forever. What's the only bad thing about oral sex? The view! I mean, when you're down there, what can you see?"
- We get it, Tony. You did like oysters - too.