- Maybe she was a smart confident woman who liked a lot of sex.
- She was smart, tough, independent, and I think she felt her sexy image limited her in the roles she was given, because those were the days of the sexy blonde bimbo. She wanted to play a sexy smart cookie (which she eventually did in Police Woman). %0D\
She supported her mother and sister Mary Lou, and cared for her personally when Mary Lou developed early-onset Alzheimers.
- She was also one of JFK''s mistresses...
- I''ve read a lot of movie star biographies and there''s never been any hint of Angie being infamous as a slut. In fact she''s one of the very few stars that nobody has a bad word to say about. In one bio it said that when George Gershwin was sick and dying Angie was one of the very few people he allowed to visit him and that after her visits he was remarkably cheered up. \
I think she is what you think she is; a beautiful woman who was a good friend, a good mother and a good actress. She may have been one of those women who men see as more of a good pal than a sex symbol . She played poker with Sinatra, Gregory Peck and their wives etc on Sundays for years. I think it says something that the wives liked her.
- In the early ''90s I was with a group of my students at the Metropolitan Museum and one of them spotted Angie Dickinson (I loved that she even knew who she was!). The student spoke with her and Angie was very nice and gracious and looked pleasantly surprised that a teenage girl recognized her. \
Which does not answer your question, but that''s my Angie Dickinson story.
- I heard Lucy never forgave her after she got so much acclaim for her role in "Dressed to Kill" a role originally offered to Lucy who turned it down on the advice of Gary Morton.
- I remember my dad saying Dickinson slept around on Bacharach.
- R5, was that the same day she and a strange man played cat and mouse throughout the museum and finally ended up at his apartment and then she went to sneak away quietly only to discover that he had herpes so she rushed out of his apartment down the hall and into the elevator only to be stabbed to death by an angry trannie?
Lucy wasn''t offered Dickinson''s role. She was pursued to play the dragged-up killer.
- [quote] George Gershwin was sick and dying Angie was one of the very few people he allowed to visit him %0D\
George Gershwin died in 1937.%0D\
I think Angie was just a toddler at that time...
- R4 - Angie Dickinson was 6 years old (she claims 1931) when George Gershwin died (in 1937). Did she really know him?
- R5, I''m impressed by your student
- Perhaps that poster meant Ira Gershwin?
- She comes off as a class act. She also does not "kiss and tell" and that is why there is no autobiography about the men in her life.
- R4 here. Yes, my apologies, I did mean Ira Gershwin. \
Apparently Angie played poker with Ira and his wife for years
- Actually asswipe R9, Ms. Ball was offered Dressed to Kill, not to mention Manchurian Candidate and Driving Miss Daisy. In fact, she certainly would have nabbed the Oscar that Lsnsbury lost in ''62 with a performance that was simply too telegraphed. Lucy would have triumphed.
You forgot Thelma & Louise.
- She was far better in "Rio Bravo" than your precious St. Meryl was in that dingo ate my baby epic.
- Her daughter committed suicide a couple of years ago. She seems like a "broad" and as a woman that is meant as a tremendous compliment.
- Dull actress.
- Back in the day, she was hardly known to the public. B movie actress; D-list in today''s terms. \
Of course, within the industry, it was entirely different.
- she may well have been a wild thing; but she wasn''t publicly a subject of scandal or rumor.
- She''s a whore, darling, like all the actresses.
- Thank God Lucy turned down Policewoman.
- There was a big scandal when it was revealed that Angie had a body double for "Dressed to Kill" Many thought at the time that it was her body.%0D\
- And that they couldn''t meet her quote to replace Farrah Fawcett in Charlie''s Angels.
- Did Marlene Dietrich ever have any choice words about Angie when she stole Burt Bacharach away from her? Is Angie mentioned in Maria Riva''s book about Marlene?
- Burt what Ms. Ball really regretted was turning down the part of Darth Vader in Star Wars.
- The Dickinson body double thing is what enraged Ball, because she was under the impression that she would have to do her own nude scenes. I have an old interview that she did in Parade Magazine saying that she would''ve taken the role in "Dressed to Kill" had she been able to use a body double. Most industry types thought she would''ve gotten an Supporting Actress Oscar out of it.
- Is the "Lucille Ball Troll" new?
Did you miss the MAME thread?
- Lucy was also offered SM''s part in "Terms of Endearment" and they were prepared to dig her up and everything, but she rapped twice on the table.\
If only Lucy forgot how to rap...
She taught Fresh Prince all her moves and now you know him as Will Smith
- Angie Dickinson is hott.
- Little known movie trivia: Lucy was supposed to be Angie''s body double in Dressed to Kill by Gary talked her out of it.
- There was a big press reaction to her legs being insured for a million dollars. Big deal back then.
Are you talkinga bout Cyd Charisse?
- She was willing to tolerate and keep her mouth shut about a lot of freaky stuff involving famous people with shady ties to the underworld.
- Vampires and haints, R38?
- Angie was a class act and seemed to have a sense of humor about her career and Hollywood in general. I remember at most award shows she knitted. When she was nominated, she would smile and nod to the camera with her knitting, knowing she could stay seated. \
When she did win (a Golden Globe for Police Woman, maybe?) she seemed shocked but gave a fun, honest speech. I think she said ":this is the first time anyone in Hollywood has called me an actress!"
Would this bod lie?
- r 38: No, Betty Grable. Her gams were insured by Lloyds of London for $1 million.
- Carrie Underwood annoys me, but I find I''m willing to give her somewhat of a pass because she looks like a young Angie Dickinson. (And I think she knows it and plays it up).
- I heard that Lucy was planning to survive her last health problem but Gary Morton talked her out of it.\
I remember Angie DIckinson showing up on all the old talk shows with that hair and my mother would always say something like, "I wonder what she was doing before coming out on stage." Angie had the first practiced and professional case of bed head ever, and maintained it as a trademark throughout her career.
- I''ve seen a snippet of a Larry King Live interview Dickinson gave in the mid 1980s where she says (paraphrasing): "I don''t feel like I matter anymore". I thought, He''s not your shrink, lady, and you''re on national television, leave off the pity party.
- I remember that, This is Your Life, wanted to do a episode on her and she walked off the set. She did not want her past on parade.
- In 1983 my great grandma was visiting her sister in California and they took a studio tour. Angie Dickinson was filming there that day. Granny didn''t actually see Angie Dickinson, but she did see a chair with Angie''s name on it. She snapped a picture of it for me. So I have a Poloriod of Angie Dickinson''s chair. It''s a precious family heirloom.
- FYI dickbreath...Ms. Ball was also offered the role of Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate. The real shame is that she never had the confidence that audiences would buy her as any character other than her sitcom persona which was light years away from her real personality. There were great untapped dramatic performances in that brilliant female clown and we are the poorer for it.
- I heard Lucy was supposed to get that Golden Globe award but Gary talked the voters out of it.
I''m sorry but after that Mame thread I can''t resist
- Cute Angie story. What a great broad.%0D\
[quote]Have you ever analyzed your personal appeal? It''s a wonderful mystery. I love that men of all ages wink and whistle at me. I was walking on the beach in Hawaii recently %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%94 not even in a bathing suit %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%94 and I passed this kid about 12, and he screamed, ''Hey, I got a boner!''
ol Blue Eyes
- Yes, Angie walked out of her "This Is Your Life" tribute. I know, because I was a P.A. on that show. They had flown in all of her relatives from North Dakota, Jackie Collins and Earl Holliman were in the green room, Burt Reynolds was in the makeup room, and Bob Hope was in the limo coming from dinner at Chasen's with the Reagans. She was the first person to ever say "no" in the US version of TIYL(dunno about the UK version- I seem to recall someone bailing out there first).
Her daughter Nikki was there, with a crewcut and wearing a electric blue satin man's suit. She was almost blind and slightly autistic (maybe Asperger's?), as she was born very prematurely. When Angie found out that Nikki was there, that was the last straw, as Angie was very, very protective of her... not in an embarrassed way, but in a very motherly way. Nikki did commit suicide a few years back.
BUT... the big reason Angie didn't want to do the show was that she was afraid her checkered past would be revealed. Angie had affairs with LOTS of guys (JFK, Sinatra, Dean Martin, Johnny Carson, David Janssen), and she when she first started in Hollywood, she made money as an escort. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean she was a hooker, but she would ask daddy for a fifty to go to the powder room, like Holly Golightly.
The sad part is that her agent (at the time) Merritt Blake, was SURE Angie would LOVE the idea of the TIYL tribute (as did her best friend and secretary). Boy were they wrong.
And when Angie left NBC studios that night (in Burbank, where she spent much of her childhood), she refused to see any of her friends and family... she just wanted to get the hell out there. All the hallways in the studio were cleared, and she was driven in a studio cart to her car service. She looked like a very lonely person (I was one of the few people who saw her, because I was on the way to tell Burt Reynolds to go home).
And... little known fact that wraps it all up. They replaced the Angie tribute with a tribute to Kathie Lee (knowing they had to find a publicity whore big enough to not say know). At the taping of the KLG tribute, Frank Gifford told me that when he screen tested in Hollywood in the late '50s, Angie Dickinson (who was already a contract player working on television) read the scene with him.
- Let me tell you, if the director of Sophie''s Choice ahd gotten HIS first choice, we''d all be saying "Meryl who?" and Miss Ball would have gotten her much-deserved Oscar.
- I can just her Lucy saying "A dingO ate my baby WAAAAAAAA"
- Lucy was also offered the role of Nino Brown in New Jack City but Gary talked her out of it.%0D\
- [quote]She was far better in "Rio Bravo" than your precious St. Meryl was in that dingo ate my baby epic.\
When I first saw Rio Bravo I thought to myself - So, this is where Jessie Lange got the idea of how to play sexy right.
- I remember Lucy turning down ''Klute'' because the producers insisted on the artistic necessity of nudity in the film. She was also first choice as "greeting alien" in ''Close Encounters of the Third Kind'', but had to pull out due to illness.
- Lucy''s imdb page says she was the first choice to play Elen Ripley. Is that true?
- Dickinson was very good in Point Blank - which I think is on TCM this month.
- No, she did shave her head for ''Star Trek-The Motion Picture'' though. ''Star Trek'' had been a Desilu production and for sentimental reasons had dibs on the role of Ilia. %0D\
Florence Henderson was up for Ripley in ''Alien'' but was injured in a Wesson oil commerical fire.
- r58, I had no idea Florence was up for any mainstream films, had to imagine anyone other that Sigourney for Ripley.
- What was her relationship with Earl Holliman like?
- Lucy did not shed her signature locks to portray the alien navigator in ''Star Trek'', the stills you see of a bald Ball are of her in a skin cap. She chose not to do the film when when the studio resisted casting Gale Gordon, who was struggling finacially at the time, as her love interest.
- Did any of you bozos read r50''s post? This is the kind of stuff everyone usually loves here...real insider info.%0D\
Great post, R50! Thanks.%0D\
Enough with dumb, tired Lucy stuff.
Yes, funny you should ask, I WAS made King last week
- r59, I sure hope you''re good-looking cuz......
- Remeber when Angie bearded for John Barrowman? He told the press that they were a couple. They pulled it off for a couple of years. This must have been 10 years ago.
- R50, any other show biz memories? Thanks for sharing.
happy now, r62?
- R64 Link? I know Barrowman''s said he se squired Dickinson, Cher and Stefani Powers around town but I''ve never heard that they pretended to be a couple.
- >>>There was a big scandal when it was revealed that Angie had a body double for "Dressed to Kill"\
LOL. There was no scandal. The body double thing was a way of getting more publicity for the film. i was there, kids.
- This month''s LA Magazine has an article about Angie and her daughter. Autism is the theme of the month and Burt and Angie''s daughter had%0D\
Asperger''s Syndrome. Sad.
R62, happy at last
- I met last year and she is still lovely for her 70''s. She still wore the newsboy cap. I had my "Dressed To Kill" DVD signed and she had fond memories of it and said "Now THIS is a scary movie". This isn''t me, but the shot was at the same function.
- R 37 Angie Dickenson''s legs were insured for a million with Lloyds of London. By the studio.%0D\
- Weren''t Lucy''s vocal chords also insured for a million dollars by Lloyds?
- r65, here are a couple other memories from that day:
Earl Holliman kept hitting on the other (also male) P.A. Nice guy, but a little lech-y.
"Vicki" was also taping at NBC that day, and in my brief dealings with her (the producer of TIYL knew her from the Carol Burnett show), she was an entitled bee-yotch. Lucie Arnaz, who was a guest on her show that day, was hilarious and down to earth (IMO)
Burt Reynolds couldn't have been nicer about the whole thing, considering he had flown in on his own dime from Florida for the show.
Angie was wearing what looked like a wig from the Eva Gabor line - low grade Dynel. And she kept saying, "Burt Bacharach knows I would NEVER do this show!" Meanwhile, they had been divorced for almost twenty years and we didn't even contact him (since we had the go ahead from her agent, her assistant, her best friend, and her sister).
The PTB should have known that Merritt Blake (Angie's agent) wasn't really in step with Angie's wishes when he kept pushing to get Suzanne Pleshette on the show. When she called us back (and she was a complete doll about it, btw); she said, "You really want me? I mean, Angie's a great gal, but I don't really know her that well. You know, we worked together 30 years ago... I have meeting of my condo board that night, but I guess I could get out of it."
At that point, Nikki was a drummer in an all-girl band. She wasn't particularly upset when her mother walked out; she just became fixated on taking home her cue cards.
Pat Sajak, who was the host, was smart alecky, aloof, and phoning the whole thing in (In other words, just like I thought he'd be).
- Sounds like you should start your own thread, r72, or have someone start one for you.
- R72 how many episodes of this did you guys do? I remember NBC aired a Betty White/Dick Van Dyke combo that must have been around the same time.%0D\
- R50/R72 - love your posts. Thanks for sharing.%0D\
I saw Angie a number of years ago in Bullock''s in Sherman Oaks. (yes indeed, Bullock''s is sadly long gone) I recall how beautiful she was. Well, her face. Her hands looked like those of a 75 year old. Total disconnect. Faces can be "done." Hands can''t.%0D\
- Angie was known for being very talented in bed. Back in groovier times it was quite a compliment.
- Sounds like Angie is a classy lady in that she keeps her private life to herself. Her reaction on TIYL is that of a very private person. "Burt Bacharach knows I would never do a show like this" \
Also, when she was asked to write an autobiography she was offered a huge sum, THen she told them that she wouldn''t write anything about having known the Kennedys. Publishers not happy-she wouldn''t write anything scandalous to sell the book so she got out of the deal. \
As for the poster who wanted to know what Marlene thought of Angie, according to Steven Bach''s bio Dietrich couldn''t believe that anyone could smile so much!
- I would love to read more from the PA at TIYL. Great stuff!
- I adore her but when I used to see her on The Tonight Show I felt she came across as a clinical idiot.
- Thanks r62! The Dick Van Dyke/Betty White episodes were a few years earlier than the Angie Dickinson/Roy Scheider/Kathie Lee Gifford episode. I didn''t work on those, but a lot of the others I worked with did... Ralph Edwards was still able to host those; by ''93 he was not up to it (although he did appear on the Kathie Lee one, as he had discovered her as the "La-La" girl on Name That Tune).
- I get her mixed up with Rue McClanahan. They look so much alike.
- [quote]What was her relationship with Earl Holliman like?%0D\
Lucy strongly considered having a relationship with Earl, but Gary talked her out of it.
- From all accounts, Angie is very much-liked. She is also very discreet. Brava, Angie!
- Here''s a good thread that shows People Magazine covers from 1970 to 1979. Angie was in the November 27, 1978 issue
- Was Earl Holliman ever married? A handsome guy like him.
- Dressed to kill is airing at midnight on IFC - Independent Film Channel
- There was a rumor for years that she was involved with Dionne Warwick.
- I believe Dickinson was the first person to perform I''ll Never Fall In Love Again publically, on one of the late night talk shows.
- Earl Holliman is tres gay indeed- he was in a LTR with soap actor Anthony George. He's also consdered one of the 'nice guys' in the business as he is also an animal rights activist. He was hot back in the day playing Rock Hudson and Liz Taylor's son-in-law in "Giant" (wonder if Rock or James Dean slept with him!). Can anyone provide a link to any shirtless photos of Earl?%0D
BTW, Angie is a real broad, in the old sense: she palled around with Sinatra et al and is still very discreet. Even Barbara Sinatra considers her a pal. One thing's for certain: she was a much better parent to Nikki than Burt was! She did everything for her daughter to make her happy whereas Burt actually put his now-grown daughter into a nuthouse for a while because of her long battle with depression, something Nikki never forgave her father for. It doesn't say much for Burt Bacharach as a father or a man. On the other hand, it shows what a true lady Angie is for putting the needs of her 'special needs child' (who did go to college) over everything else.
- LIke ALL Hollywood actresses, she was a whore that did anything with anyone to get a role. Let's be realistic here folks!
- Oh, shut up, R90.
- Great thread with fascinating gossip despite the Lucy overkill.
- It's well known that Garry said that had he verb married to Lucy at the time, he'd've talked her out of I Love Lucy.
- Lucy would've been great in Fatal Attraction and would've won the Oscar had she played Alex Foster.
- Her daughter killed herself in the last couple years
- I remember Earl Holliman very well. He had his own TV show for a while in the 50s and was a guest star on several others as well as in movies. Always thot he had a sort of sexiness to him but never knew he was gay! Interesting news!
- I offered Gary Morton a blow job if he would talk Lucy out of "Dressed to Kill" as I was on the short list if she turned it down. The rest is history.
- [quote]Burt what Ms. Ball really regretted was turning down the part of Darth Vader in Star Wars.
They could've saved money as they wouldn't have needed James Earl Jones to dub the voice.
- I was her stand-in once. So surprised that she actually thanked me, and was extremely gracious, cheerful, and generous in spirit. Is she bi?
- She's a "stand up broad" who kept her mouth shut about JFK, Sinatra and everyone else she fucked, thus earning what passes for respect in Hollywood.
I never heard any bitchy stories about Angie Dickinson. Apparently she's not the sharpest tool in the shed but is a genuinely nice person.
- I forget.
- We have an elder fish-friend who is from a very famous show biz family. In the early 1960s she happened to be at the Palm Springs airport when President JFK arrived by surprise(for a 'rendevous' with Angie Dickinson, un-announced of course). Our friend just happened to be there at the airport with her grandfather and Louella Parsons for some other un-related matter.
We asked our fish friend what she thought of getting this up close to President JFK and she said "I thought he was the most gorgeous man I had ever seen".
- I love singing her poems to the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas."
There is something dykish in her, am i wrong?
I'm sure that if she she is not in the closet, she is at least bi. I'm 100% sure about that.
- Angie was like by men because she was a man's woman. She was not the kind of girl to spend her time with girl friends and all that.
- I just remember in the '70s, a neighbour of ours had a poster of her in his garage where she was bare assed and sitting on her bum with her arms wrapped around her knees and her ankles crossed in front of her - covering her pussy. It was around the time of Police Woman. It was very Playboy.
Also, for some reason, I associate Angie Dickinson with Martini & Rossi.
- This one.
- I also think Martha Plimpton could play Angie Dickinson.
- She bears a strong resemblance to Ellen Barkin.
- Is this Martha Plimpton or Angie Dickinson?
- Lol R110. I got your point. However it is Dickinson as you must already know. Hehe.
- So, am I wrong to think that she made herself available to a circle of men, no strings attached, no emotional attachment or complications involved, and they passed her around? And for this loyalty and service she was considered "one of the boys" and a "stand up broad?"
I'm not terribly familiar with her, but this what it sounds like to me. If true, jeez, someone, her dad, Bacharach maybe, really did a number on her.
- Don't know guys really...
I insist that this woman is in the closet and she can't accept that.
I don't take a vow for that though. Nobody can be sure for no one, after all.
- I can picture a new L&O SVU episode or story arc. Angie could be a new DA or a new precinct captain. She still looks young enough. I would say a judge or politician, but she needs to be able to interact with Detective Benson.
- JFK only went after Angie when Lucy turned him down. JFK never got over it, blamed Ricky, and presto: Bay of Pigs.
Very few people are aware of this.
- Dressed to Kill is wonderful, it's the sort of film that hardly ever gets made anymore.
- Yes ''Dressed to Kill'' is a very interesting movie. In that film particularly i detected lesbian overtones in Miss Dickinson.
- [quote] Also, for some reason, I associate Angie Dickinson with Martini & Rossi.
because she and her then husband, Burt Bacharach did a commercial for Martini & Rossi
- Angie? Angie Baby???
- The worst hair. No comb? Did she not have mirror to look at the back of her head?
- Angie had to use a body double due to the fact she was born without any nipples or aereolae, a rare but real genetic defect.
- Angie has nips. Nude at link
- Those are prosthetic nips.
- You find her attractive?
I want to see how men find her...
- Oh..and how women find her?
- Those nipples are painted on.
- Oh,I borrowed your razor...and well, you'll read all about it. Some blonde bitch saw me, but I'll get her.
- ...with garden shears! You call that normal?
- That's kind of what it sounds like to me, r112. I've never been sure why being considered "one of the boys" is supposed to be a compliment.
I cried for her when her only daughter and child died.
- Lucky for Olivia Newton-John that Lucy turned down the role of Sandy in Grease. Although I think Lucy and Travolta could have been movie magic.
- R132, shame on you bitch.
We are talking about Angie Dickinson in here and you're being 'cute' with irrelevant comments.
- In my closet I have; in a clear garment bag; the entire all white costume she wore in Dressed To Kill- splattered with fake blood still- I even have her bloody pantyhose and shoes.....dont ask where or why- but I got it....
- R133-please go fuck yourself.
Respect Angie fucking bitch.
- Shame on you R135, shame on yaaaa!
You have no idea about Angie Dickinson, you are just a goofy bitch!
WATCH THIS AND LEARN YOU PIECE OF....
- I once worked with this lady who knew some Las Vegas people who did back up performing on stage etc. She said she heard Angie was a wild Nympho who had a wild sex life with women and men. How she knew this information on Angie I have no idea.BTW, here is some extra gossip I'll share with you. This lady had a friend who was a Las Vegas show girl who worked with Debbie Reynolds and Mickey Rooney in different shows. She said her friend said when the crew on Debbie Reynold's show took a break from rehearsals, there was this prostitute hanging around back stage that was well known to do anything with anyone with the show business crowd. She said Debbie Reynolds was playing footsie with the prostitute and vice verse and Debbie said, lets go ups stairs. They both left holding each others hand, and went up to a little room off the stage and had sex. BTW, the prostitute earned the name, CANDY for obvious reasons. Also, this lady's friend said Micky Rooney was one nasty drunk and he could get scary mean to work with.
BTW, Earl Holliman is definitely gay and when he was younger in the 50s and 60s he was hot!
One of the posters on this thread mentioned Angie's reunion with her famliy and friends was canceled. As I recall, Angie grew up in a very dysfunctional and abusive background. Her father was an alcoholic and he was very abusive to Angie.
I agree that Angie seems like a very nice lady. she took care of her sister who got Alzheimers and her daughter who I think was slightly autistic. she loved her daughter dearly.
R138, very interesting what you said.
I devoured it.
- [quote]Angie grew up in a very dysfunctional and abusive background. Her father was an alcoholic and he was very abusive to Angie.
This explains a great deal. Just sad.
Angie as 'Big Bad Mama'
- I heard that Lucy was offered the role of Maria in "The Sound of Music", but she was afraid of heights.
- On the night of his inaugural in 1961, JFK quietly slipped away from the ball to rendezvous with Angie, while Jackie returned to the White House alone.
- I think she had a 'friends with benefits' relationship with Sinatra;
Angie: I'm a hot bitch. Problem? Didn't i know how to please you before?
She could be sweet not only a sexy bitch.
Which is her best role (leave out 'Dressed to Kill')?
- Angie will NEVER tell about her affair with Kennedy in the White House swimming pool in 1960, nor will she ever kiss and tell about all the men in Hollywood who passed her around. She's loyal. In fact, she was tricked into a "This is Your Life" show, and when she got to the studio and found out what they were up to, she left, refusing to appear. Angie doesn't like to dwell on the past. She's a great lady.
- Point Blank & Police Woman.
- I always thought that it was hilarious that Blanche on GG's always considered Angie Dickinson her celebrity lookalike. So random really.
Was she good in Rio Bravo? She has enough time in it?
- In her day, she was well known to be kept by the rich and powerful. To her credit, I don't think she ever pretended to be anything other than what she was. Studio heads liked her because she looked like she could suck an elephant through a keyhole.
When she gave birth to her daughter, at the time the child was believed to be the smallest preemie who had ever survived. Not much was known about how to treat many of her problems. Dickinson talked about how hard they had to work at stimulating her senses with ever-changing bright pictures and sound. Given what went on with her later, it seems they were not entirely successful.
Blanche did have the same kind of looks although their features weren't that much alike. She looked more like Dorothy Malone from an earlier era and later Diane Sawyer reminded me of her.
- All this Lucy stuff is BS by a troll. Lucille Ball was like 70 years old when "Dressed to Kill" was made. Imagine Lucy getting VD from her pickup trick in the museum and then the scenes of her getting stabbed to death in that elevator. Also, when the sleazy movie begins, imagine Lucy getting morning fucked in the bed by her husband -- as was done with Angie. Lucy probably thought this was a filthy, dirty movie. Lucy was against filth in movies, she was very disgusted about the trash Hollywood was putting out.
- Lucy was a bitch and not a good hearted bitch.
At least, that's what my intuition says.
- R154 tears of laughter at your post!
- I just heard of things of Angie Dickinson here and there ,but I agree that there isn't any gossip or any real information that has been written on her. Its really weird. Its a shame and a loss that she doesn't write an autobiography because I'm sure she has a lot of very interesting stories.
My mother had a friend who worked in Hollywood in the film industry, and she would rarely name drop and talk about her experiences. She would only do this once in a blue moon. You couldn't ask her about this person or that one because for some strange reason she thought you were invading her privacy and you were being too pushy. She talked about this or that when she brought it up and who she wanted to talk about. Hey! whatever! I think its natural for people to ask about various famous people were and /or are like. Also, the old Hollywood crowd have always believed in the philosophy of closing one chapter of the book and moving on to another.
However, I talked to other people who were connected with old Hollywood ,and the old Hollywood crowd had so much interesting stuff to say than new Hollywood. I'm not the only one who is aware of this fact. You could listen to their stories for hours and you wouldn't get tired.New Hollywood is boring with a capital B ,and they have 0 interesting stuff to say.
- R157, do you happen to know who was the greatest love of Miss Angie Dickinson?
- R158, sorry I don't.I'm just aware of the usual rumor like everyone else that JFK was.
- Oh R159, i hope not, cause i dislike politicians.
Anyway thanks for replying ~ ~ ~
- It seems that most actresses aren't too willing to fess up to their sleeping around, most likely because of the old double standard still out there, even today. If they're famous enough, a biographer will dig around and find out for us (a la Princess Grace), but Shelley Winters is just about the only one who admitted to her affairs, which is why her books were so popular.
- [quote]most likely because of the old double standard still out there, even today.
Out there?! I see more double standards here on DL on a regular basis than I do "out there." If Angie Dickinson were 30 now and acting the same way with the circumspection that typifies Hollywood now, DL would be all over her calling her a slut and a whore like it does Kate Hudson, Megan Fox, Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, et al.
- Any gay out there had ever an erection by watching Angie?
She is in a relationship now?
- Angie Dickinson, very 1960s
- I think she was but she still had quite a few fans.
- It was either Next or HX bar rags here in New York that did a story on Angie a few years back. She's done a ton of work helping to educate on HIV/AIDS and, as I recall, even doing hospice work.
In light of that, it saddens me to see people diss her, particularly because she never turned Anita Bryant or Jane Russell on gay people. To the contrary. A living angel.
- She was a crusty old broad of 45 when she did Police Woman. And still a sex symbol. Pretty groundbreaking.
- Yes, Angie Dickinson oozed sexiness as a Police Woman and not only then...
- She is so incredibly hot as the teacher in PRETTY MAIDS ALL IN A ROW.
- She got AIDS from her trick in Dressed to Kill.
- R171, excuse me?
- Great thread
- I always pegged her not as a sex-kitten or ice-princess or as sexy but as having a "hard", "cocktail waitress" look.
In retrospect, her pre-Botox frozen face paved the way for a much later generation of Botox frozen faces, talking through taut, clenched teeth smiles.
- She has had an amazing life would love to know the real details of her sex life. She's really the last insider and knows where all the dicks were buried. Can't think of anyone else who is still with us with such knowledge.
- [quote] She was almost blind and slightly autistic (maybe Asperger's?), as she was born very prematurely.
She was brain-damaged, which is a term nobody uses anymore. They don't even like to say "neurologically damaged." They instead say Asperger's or autism.
But the girl was born prematurely, and she was given high concentration oxygen in the incubator. They didn't realize back then that there was such a thing as oxygen toxicity, which damages the eyes, lungs and nervous systems of premature infants. Nikki Bacharach's problems were all related to her prematurity and the treatment given to premature infants in those days. I think it's awful that Dickinson doesn't come right out and say it, but she won't. She instead uses Asperger's syndrome and autism to give her late daughter some kind of cachet.
- I always wondered why the mystery surrounding Nikki. Always the same answer to questions. I find it a bit odd that Nikki (rip) lived alone with all her problems
- RE 175 - What about Jeanne Martin, Dean's widow . They were married since the early 50's . She too, knows everything.
- Yes but Jeanie Martin didn't bang the most promident men in the free world. Geez Angie ihas been around. Even fu**king George Jessel
- Jeanne and Dean divorced in 1973 and Dean remarried, so Jeanne is NOT his widow.
- Angie is on TCM tonight co-hosting "Yankee Doodle Day" with Robert Osborne--they keep cutitng back to her in soft focus, which is pretty ridiculous (it's like the back-and-forth normal-to-soft-focus shots on the old "Doris Day Show"), but she's so warm and sweet (as always) you can forgive her.
- R181 It's been a long time since her last avocado.
- Not the brightest bulb in the box. She bunged on the fake Hollywood persona a fair bit. eg Pretended to the press it was her youthful naked body in Dressed To Kill until the body double spoke out. Did the breathy actressy faux act on UK talk show Parkison until fellow guest Billy Connelly used the phrase "as popular as a fart in a spacesuit" and then the mask dropped.
- Didn't Angie originate the role of Kate Winograd?
- She confounded TCM's Robert Osborne as a guest host by only referencing stag films when it came to discussing her favorite cinema.
- She is in a bisexual list
- R62, the secret to keeping your hands young is to apply Retin-A to them (while they are slightly damp after a shower or just washing) before you go to bed. Slather them with cocoa butter in the morning and every time after you wash them. Also, NEVER dry the backs of your hands! Smear on the cocoa butter and let them air-dry.
- Does it matter what brand coco butter
- I use Palmer's. It isn't greasy, and it smells good without being overwhelming. The best time to apply it is while your hands are still damp from washing.
- R184 No. Her career was in the dumper back then and she demanded too much from TPTB at Days. They offered the role of Alice Horton's lesbian best friend but she declined.
r186 I've heard that before as well but she leans towards men. I mean she fukced Larry King...no clamboxer in their right mind would fuck,suck, or even kiss that thing.