- There are scenes in Serial Mom where Kathleen Turner clearly is on either liquor or drugs (possibly to treat her rheumatoid arthritis). One scene where the family is leaving the house is shot at quite a distance -- if you watch Kathleen, she''s clearly stumbling.
- Ricky Nelson in the last few years of "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet."
- On Love Boat, Lauren Tewes'' eyes were practically spinning out of her head.
- La Lupe notoriously behaved like she took hits before coming out on stage.
- The director of Herbie Reloaded or whatever made a montage of Lindsey Lohan acting fucked up and ruining takes on the set. She showed it to a film class and got in a lot of trouble for it. I''d love to see that tape, that was before everyone knew Lindsey was a druggie.
- Lance Armstrong\
Oh dear, did I say that out loud?!
- Willie Ames on Charles in Charge...
- Though she denied it, Farrah on "Letterman."%0D\
Also, Karen Lynn Gorney at the "Sat. Night Fever" premiere special on ABC was totally coked.
- Not drugs, but there are a bunch of performances of Wendell Corey''s where he is so obviously drunk it''s embarrassing.\
And of course, there is that Stevie Nicks video...
- Joan Crawford in her later films and TV appearances was obviously drunk.
- [quote]The director of Herbie Reloaded or whatever made a montage of Lindsey Lohan acting fucked up and ruining takes on the set. \
That is terribly unprofessional.
- Joaquin Phoenix/ I''m still here
- Doug McClure - totally staggering on "The Merv Griffin Show."
- Andrew Dan Jumbo or whatever his name was from that dumb While You Were Out show. Totally coked out the entire time. sniffling, twitchy, etc. What happened to him anyway?
- The Six Million Dollar Man reunion special where every actor had a huge cold sore ( plenty of closeups) and each character slurred through meaningless drivel.
- Melanie Griffith in Working Girl. The throat clearing was excessive.
- Jessica Savitch really does own this thread.
- Robin Williams in Mork & Mindy: coked up beyond belief. It''s not him being crazy Mork: it''s a coke addict visibly on a binge.
- Liza in The Act, The Rink and Victor/Victoria.%0D\
Oh, and of course her concert in Sweden.
- Just about every appearance Judy made after 1965 she was either drunk or stoned. So sad considering her talent. The end was coming fast.
- Johnny Depp during his final season on 21 Jump Street
- Liza in New York, New York. You can see the coke sweat when she sang the title tune in that film.%0D\
And of course, her mother.
- Judy Garland in unused footage for Annie Get Your Gun.
- Match Game ''75, Match Game ''76, Match Game ''77....
- Carrie Fisher in the "Star Wars Christmas Special." Probably Harrison Ford too, but he just looks embarrassed.
- Which Stevie Nicks video? the live one, where she''s all sweaty?
- I remember watching the 1976 Academy Awards broadcast and thinking every person on that stage must have been on something. Robert Shaw looked high as a kite.
- 60 Minutes interviewed Liz and Dick. You could hear a totally sloshed Liz off camera cat-calling to Dick while they filmed his segment.
I Love Lizzy
- Some of those celebrity game show contestants in the 1970s were drunk...on power.
- I would mention Whitney Houston''s infamous 20/20 interview, but as we all well know, crack is whack.
The Voice of the Night
- Per R28''s post, do they provide blow backstage at these events or was that just in the seventies? Anyone?
- What about Whitney''s day 1 Oprah interview? Probably day 2, also, now that I think about it.
- Dennis Miller and Bill Maher...Good stuff, no? And by that I mean coke.
- Bill Maher always seems really, really stoned. R11, unprofessional of the director? Sort of but those Herbie movies were supposed to be a franchise and Lindsey fucked it up and made a lot of enemies on the set.
- Bill Maher admits to smoking pot so no surprise if he''s stoned on the set. %0D\
- RDJ-Home for the Holidays
- Judy Garland is running full speed on amphetamines in MOST of her MGM musicals, folks. Just watch her nervous, shaking hands, for instance, at the restaurant table scene with Peter Lawford in Easter Parade. Her nervous, halting and "hyper" performance style was due, in some measure, to the effects of the pills.
- Lohan in I Know Who Killed Me. She doesn''t breathe through her nose once during the entire film.
- I remember my father saying that it was obvious that Dana Plato was "drugged up" way back when I was a kid in the early 80s.
- Bette Davis presenting an Oscar in 1987.%0D\
Liz Taylor - "Glaaaaadiator"
- We cannot be as professionally reliable at all times, such as I was on this year''s Tony Awards.
Mrs. Michael Douglas, having a bit of a nip whilst powdering my nose backstage
- Brittany Murphy was fucked all the time after she started to lose weight.
- Saturday Night Live, any and every season. In the 70s, probably the entire cast except for Jane Curtain and Gilda Radner.
- David Bowie on Dick Cavett
- Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor both appear to be plastered throughout [italic]Boom![/italic]. It''s fascinating to observe how Burton''s charisma and timing remain intact despite this and how he can still put a performance across whilst a liquored-up Liz is visibly impaired and even stumbles over her lines like an amateur-- many of her scenes look like outtakes. Mesmerically awful.%0D\
Burton is cataleptic from booze in many of his later films, especially [italic]Bluebeard[/italic] in which he appears to be propped up by unseen stagehands like some oversized bunraku puppet.
- It''s so nice to be remembered, R45, you bitch.
- R46 reminds me of Lady Di in the Panorama interview.
- Tom Waits on Mike Douglas. Skip to 4:00.\
He and Bowie are two of my favorites. Glad they made it out of that time and kept making great music.
- Sorry I fucked up your name, Jane, you ignorant slut.
- geez, that''s hard to watch, r46. I''m glad he didn''t kill himself - he came so, so close.
- The only reason my morbidly obese sister and I watched One Day at a Time was to play, What''s Mackenzie on?
- r25, I saw some interview with one of the panelists who said they taped half the shows in the morning, had a liquid lunch, then taped the rest of the shows. So when you watch the show half will be sober and half will be lit up.
- Jack Nicholson in THE LAST DETAIL. Totally stoned on pot, yes?
- Melanie Griffith told Charlie Rose once that she was high during every scene of Working Girl and that she went into rehab immediately after it ended.\
Not sure if you can tell. What do you guys think? \
(she said Mike Nichols saved the day by editing it together well)
- Not a performance, but an ordeal (to watch): Julia Roberts at the Academy Awards circa 1990 or so. She had on a broze satin-y halter type gown and no foundation garments on so one boob splayed to the left and the other loosely bobbed side to side. And she was bombed out of mind! I think she had just dumped Kiefer Sutherland.
- James Spader in "Secretary" looked like a sweaty coke-pig if ever I saw one...his nostrils have that inflamed ''deformed'' look from constant drug abuse. Not sure if he really is a druggie...just sayin''...
- "And of course, there is that Stevie Nicks video..."%0D\
What video? Surely in this YouTube world we find ourselves in someone could provide a link and some context?
- My thread does not exist.
Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell in HOOK.\
Robin Williams, Hook.
- Yeah, wasn''t Julia nodding out in her trailer from heroin?
- [quote]Lohan in I Know Who Killed Me. She doesn''t breathe through her nose once during the entire film.%0D\
Thankfully, I did not see that film, but you speak to one of my big issues with Lindsay''s drug use. In THE PARENT TRAP, it was clear by the way she spoke the girl had serious adenoids, allergies, or asthma. She sounded seriously plugged up, and not from a cold. Why the hell would someone with ENT issues ever do a drug whose delivery system (e.g., anything that you sniff) would worsen those problems?
- Steven Spielberg apparently still nurses a grudge against Roberts for Hook.%0D\
Truman Capote was legendary for this kind of thing. I actually remember when People Magazine had a short lived summer series and Capote was on several times to comment on whatever the topic was. He could barely speak he was so wasted. But that voice! I can''t remember what the famous Gore Vidal line is about Capote''s voice.%0D\
Meanwhile, a coked out Bianca Jagger also was a regular commentator--each time wearing a different outrageously dyed monkey fur coat. (And no, that line isn''t like "Korean wig factory" hair. She actually bragged about her assorted monkey fur coats).
- La Liz
- Mackenzie Phillips on One Day At a Time.
- Liz Taylor is so damn likable!
- Mr. Spielberg,\
- Tom Arnold on the Roseanne show was OBVIOUSLY tweeking his balls off! Watch his jaw move, he was just wierd and wired. BLEH
- [quote] Thankfully, I did not see that film, but you speak to one of my big issues with Lindsay''s drug use. In THE PARENT TRAP, it was clear by the way she spoke the girl had serious adenoids, allergies, or asthma. She sounded seriously plugged up, and not from a cold. Why the hell would someone with ENT issues ever do a drug whose delivery system (e.g., anything that you sniff) would worsen those problems?\
I have had sinus problems my whole life and have also done a ton of coke. My septum is so deviated I could never even snort through my left nostril just as I''ve never been able to breathe through it. My health certainly wasn''t what was on my mind while I was using. What was interesting to me about her not doing any nose breathing is that casual users tend to sniff a lot (which she didn''t do at all) and serious users develop pretty painful septal ulcers which are aggravated by air passing over them and eased by more coke.
- Just type "whitney houston live" on youtube...
- Melanie Griffith in Working Girl, though supposedly coked up gave such a mellow understated performance. She was damn good too. Maybe she should do it before every performance?
- R11 = Dina Lohan.\
Mackenzie Phillips on One Day at a Time.\
The Not Ready for Primetime Players on SNL every week.
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers in Match Point.
- This is going way, way back. I was watching the Joey Bishop late night talk show (with Regis Philbin as his announcer) and his guest was singer Keely Smith. She sang her song and walked over to sit down and chat with him and it was obvious that there was something wrong with her. Joey almost immediately went to a commercial and when they came back, Keely was gone and Joey made some lame excuse for her absence.%0D\
Most of the guests on those talk shows like Johnny Carson were half in the bag by the time they sat down. They must have had some real good shit in the "green room." One famous show with a half bombed Dean Martin and George Gobel was hysterical.
- In the 1970s there was always booze backstage on all the talk shows. A lot of people would imbibe before they went on to talk to Johnny Carson, Mike Douglas, etc. So many guests were clearly half in the bag when they sat down to chat. They also smoked cigs right on camera as well. Such a different era.
- [quote]They also smoked cigs right on camera %0D\
Merv Griffin always had a cigarette going. We saw his show through a haze of smoke.
- There have certainly been tons of guilty parties from SNL but when Jimmy Fallon was on cast, he was pretty bad off. Breaking character and laughing is a time honored tradition on SNL but you could tell by the reactions of the other cast members that Jimmy took it too far. The worst I remember was the "Lovers" skit in the hot tub. Most of it is fun but watch all the way to the end when Jimmy Fallon gets out of the hot tub. Rachel Dratch gives him a look that could kill. My theory, Jimmy broke wind in front of Will Farrel's face. Watch how he bends over right in front of him.
There was also a weekend update skit where someone clearly yelled at him off camera. He was at his worst: laughing, couldn't deliver the lines, and he his hair looked insane like he kept running his hand through it. The camera cuts to Tina Fey for about 45 secs while she reports a joke. The next time the camera is on Jimmy Fallon, his hair is messily pushed into place and he played the entire rest of the update completely straight faced.
- Jimmy Fallon seems particularly untalented to me for some reason. Then again I haven''t really seen an SNL episode since the 80''s. I may have caught one or two sketches of the two manic cheerleaders but that''s it.
- [quote] In the 1970s there was always booze backstage on all the talk shows. \
There still is, at least for Jimmy Kimmel''s show, so I assume that it''s the same for all of them in their green rooms.
- John Goodman is excellent in "Roseanne" - people love him, I think he won Emmys, too. Never noticed the tweaking.
- Please educate me, since I''ve never done coke, nor (seemingly) hung out with people who have done it. I can spot people who are on x or something speedy, but coke?\
And how do you know when someone''s on meth?
- There is basically no footage of Judy Garland from her mid-teens through to the end of her life where she's NOT on something. Most hysterically, her Barbara Walters interview where she just CANNOT seem to get that furball out of her throat and has a hacking cough and is gesturing oddly and has problems with simple word retrieval.%0D
I submit THE JUDY GARLAND SHOW as exhibit A of the daily life of an addict--watching the shows in the order they were taped can be a harrowing experience. You can see little bits of her slip away (for your entertainment pleasure).%0D
You can see her daughter Liza under the influence quite a bit--like on HSN. Liza is sometimes on uppers, when she's ridiculously manic; then other times she seems to be on downers, where it seems like she's coming to you through a fog. A clear, sober Liza is unmistakable and wonderful.%0D
Judy's daughter Lorna can be seen on a UK talk show grinding her jaw, coke style--and talking about her mother, repeating the same phrase over and over.%0D
Interesting about Keely Smith R75 as she says now that she never really drank or had other bad habits.%0D
Speaking of Smith, PLENTY of people in the NY cabaret world have...issues and take stage under the influence. Smith is sober/clean now.
- i fucking hate people like Jimmy Fallon who pretend to crack up to get people to laugh at them because, ultimately, they''re not good comedians.
- One of my favorite drunk bits on The Tonight Show is when Oliver Reed is completely sloshed and starts saying the most assholish chauvinistic things he can say just to rile up Shelley Winters (who is also clearly drunk). She stalks off the set, and then when he goes even further she walks back and empties her drink over his head.
- Greg Brady, stoned (by his own later admission) on The Brady Bunch:
- Amy Winehouse is frequently (always?) messed up. One time she punched a fan in the audience (I think at that rock festival they have in England every year.)\
I saw a Truman Capote interview, I think with David Frost, where he flat out asks Truman if he''s wasted, and he hems and haws and tries to dodge the question. Sad.\
People say that while most smoke pot to get high, Willie Nelson smokes it to get "normal." Larry King asked him if he''d smoked pot the day of his interview with him, and he said yeah.\
Kris Kristofferson, Janis Joplin - both drank whiskey during their concerts. Janis switched to heroin because she said the booze was ruining her voice. Bad decision.\
The week he died, Jimi Hendrix turned up at a gig and they wouldn''t let him play because he was so messed up.
- There was a Tony Awards I think in 85 when it seemed everyone was drunk or high. They were doing a salute to Kander and Ebb, and Robert Goulet came out smashed to sing the title song of "The Happy Time," and missed the initial cue and slurred right over it, "Have we started?", and then the conductor repeated it so he can slide into it. And then I seem to remember Liza Minnelli losing her shoe while dancing to "Never Be a wallflower" with Chita Rovera, and also being off-tempo and only remembering her steps when Chita did them first.
- Chita Rivera, of course, not "Rovera"
- That was ''84, R88. That year they did a salute to Kander & Ebb, Jerry Herman and Sondheim (all of whom were nominated). Dorothy Loudon is famously sloshed on that year''s show.
Bossy! Bonnie! Franklin!
- [quote]Amy Winehouse is frequently (always?) messed up. One time she punched a fan in the audience (I think at that rock festival they have in England every year.)\
I think the ultimate Amy Winehouse moment was from around the time she first hit the scene, she was performing on TV, and in the midst of it, she actually reached up into her wig, pulled out a stash of either heroin or coke, and snorted a line off her finger.
The Voice of the Night
- Something was wrong with Robert Guillaume on that show too, r90. I remember him fucking up his steps when they did songs from "Company."
- The Stevie Nicks concert dvd is "Red Rocks" or maybe "Red Rocks Live". She''s heavy in this , and they cut away to audience and band reaction shots a lot.
- Lincoln, Nebraska''s CBS affiliate had a much loved news anchor who would do the 6:00 news, walk out of the studio and into the nearby American Legion Club where he would drink (usually with Cornhusker football coach Bob Devaney) until about 9:50 when he would go back to the studio to do the 10:00 News. At 10:35 he would be back in the Legion Club with drinks already waiting on the bar.\
This went on for 25 years. He was a machine.
- [quote]Why the hell would someone with ENT issues ever do a drug whose delivery system (e.g., anything that you sniff) would worsen those problems?%0D\
Because it''s cocaine!%0D\
We used to snort Afrin between bumps to keep our nasal passages as clear as possible. I remember once warning my party buddies, very seriously, how Afrin was dangerous because you could get addicted to it. Silence ... then after about 30 seconds we all collapsed laughing at the irony of that statement.
- Joyce DeWitt Three''s Company 1980.
- Hey VoN, it''s on YouTube:
- While filming Monster Island, Godzilla was frequently high on Gamma Rays.
- on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, Richard Pryor turned to Hermione Gingold, or some other grand dame, and said "Do you get high?" It was obvious HE was at the time. \
Early episode of SNL with guest host Buck Henry, you can see everyone wiping their nose and sniffing from the coke. \
Not long ago, Ted Turner gave a speech at the National Press Club in Washington while he was totally drunk off his ass.
- I think this is the Stevie Nicks performance being referred to. Coked up or not, I love it.
- This thread is making me want a bump.
- 101 posts and no mention of me. My, the public does have a short memory.
- What kind of drug did he used?
- Judy Garland with Barbara Walters
- That "Stand Back" clip at R100 was pretty good actually. It''s not that obvious to me if she was on drugs -- she performed with that kind of passion and improvisation after she got sober. \
But if you want to see Stevie Nicks on drugs, here''s the worst of it, interview from 1986 -
- Jessica Lange throughout Tootsie. She rarely makes eye contact and has a dopey grin on her face. Totally high.
- A friend saw Rickie Lee Jones in concert back in the 80s. She said Rickie sat at the piano and after every song she would bend down out of the eyes of the audience and then come up sounding more and more drunk until one time where she didn''t come up (presumably, dropped on the floor). That was the end of the concert. \
Cat Power used to be famously drunk during her shows. She''s OK now.
- Chelsey Handler seems drunk/stoned every night -- her eyes glassy
- What was Paula Abdul on?
- Oh my God, the list of performers who have performed or given interviews while drunk or stoned is endless. %0D
Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix frequently went on tv shows and performed live high as a kite. Hendrix was particularly spacey in conversation; it was obvious his mind was blotto. At Woodstock Joplin shot up heroin before going onstage. Footage of that performance shows her looking and sounding wretched and sweating like a horse.%0D
Jim Morrison was a pathetic drunk who performed while smashed. The show where he was supposed to have exposed himself to the audience was one where he was either drunk or stoned out of his mind.%0D
Ricky Lee Jones would do drunken shows and make a fool of herself. She was also a junkie and probably did some shows under the influence of that, too.%0D
Joe Cocker, a raging drunk, would be sloshed onstage.%0D
Melanie Griffith's alcoholism and drug addiction are obvious in "Working Girl." Her puffiness and odd mannerisms stem for her excesses. %0D
Richard Dreyfuss was coked up while filming "The Goodbye Girl." One critic commented on his "spitfire performance." Well, all the "spitfire" came that white powder he snorted up his nose. %0D
Elizabeth Taylor, Judy Garland, Liza Minnelli, Cybill Shepard, Farrah Fawcett...all have been on tv behaving like they're fucked up on something.%0D
Truman Capote...that interview on some local show in NY where he was pitifully impaired is agonizing. That poor man, killing himself slowly.%0D
I remember a talk show that had Jack Kerouac on and it was so obvious he was very drunk. It was very sad to see him that way, and embarrassing to watch.
- R63 here. R70 and R95, I asked that question because as someone with lifelong sinus problems (chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis), it drives me nuts being plugged up most of the time, but I''m used to it.%0D\
But when that usual bad state is exacerbated by a cold, severe sinus infection, or prescription drug like Trazodone--and I literally cannot get ANY air through my nostrils--I panic. It feels like I''m going to suffocate to death every moment. Especially when I''m asleep and forget to keep my mouth open to breathe. %0D\
I would rather shoot heroin between my toes than fuck my nose up any more than it is.
- Jessica Savitch was on Donahue in the early 80s promoting her book Anchorwoman and was totally coked up; it was bizarre
- Stevie Nicks comes to mind... GOD do I love her!
- Jessica Savitch coked-up on Donahue was nothing. She used to do the fucking NBC Nightly News while she was coked-up. She was pretty hardcore.%0D\
Ironically, her tragic early death was unrelated to her drug abuse.
- I am including a link to the grandest Jessica Savitch coke fueled hissy fit of all time. %0D\
- When Jessica Savitch was at NBC, somebody put up a photo of her in the elevator with 2 drinking straws taped to her nostrils.%0D\
R115, that is THE classic coked-out moment in television history.
- I love watching David Bowie when he is on drugs. He also said that he got drunk for his appearance on Soul Train because he was nervous.
- What is Paula on? Painkillers?
- Gossip I heard about Matthew Perry back in the day: Matthew was very self-conscious about his body, a little gynecomastia. He always had it and you can see it in early pics of his tennis clothes and during the second season of Friends. He even did the drape the sheet over his chest in bed bit and doubled up clothing to hide it.
A lot of his self-abuse involved how horrified he was at looking at himself on the show, especially with LeBlanc and Schwimmer (I know) being pitched as the sex symbols. He went in for surgery after the second season and the writers wrote in the third nipple/nubbin removal in jest about it in collaboration with him. The painkillers for "sinus surgery" joke was also written into the show and attributed to Rachel.
But he still wasn't happy with his body. He was a classic anorexic/bulimic for awhile. That wasn't all drugs in Season 3. He looks skeletal by the end of that season.
The drinking and painkillers may have had a separate cause, but a lot of his issues were tied up with that.
- Thanks R119, good gossip. Do you know if Matthew Perry is supposed to be a nice guy?
- Then there was the second season of ''The Monkees," from 1967-68, which aired constantly on MTV and then NIckelodeon for awhile in the 80s.\
In any given episode, at least two of the four guys were halfway baked on weed. Usually Peter Tork and Micky Dolenz, but Davy Jones was pretty funny when it was obvious he''d been partaking. And very cute, it goes without saying.
- James Brown in this interview. It''s possible he''s just batshit insane and not drunk.
- Yes, [R120] he had a good reputation -- smart and never lorded it over anyone. In fact, all the cast had a generally good reputation, except for Schwimmer, toward the writers (at times) and Cox, who complained some that her character wasn''t as funny as the rest and had less of a storyline. The writers delivered, though, with the Monica-Chandler storyline and she was happy for the run of the show after that, at least with the creative team.\
The cast were very loyal to each other and always relatively patient, considering the craziness around the show.
- Thanks r123. I wasn''t a fan of the show but I always thought that Matthew Perry seemed like a decent guy.
- Did we really get this far in the thread without a mention of Jasmine Guy on Broadway in The Violet Hour? I was there the night they pulled her out of the show at intermission!
- Most of the cast of Natural Born Killers.
- [quote]Most of the cast of Natural Born Killers.\
I''m drunk, and read that as saying "Most cats are Natural Born Killers".\
I was nodding my head and thinking "Yes, they are".
- this woman
- r93, there''s a lot of Stevie shots in that concert that were most certainly filmed in a studio! Stevie was a major mess in ''89..
- Add to R127, the Chaos Rising documentary on the DVD where RDJ is twirling around a heroin spoon.
- George Bush during his entire presidency.
- R96- Youre right Joyce DeWitt seems to be on something around the 4th season (where she lost weight and cut her hair short). She is so manic in those shows. It had to be coke. I wonder why Suzanne never spilled the beans when their feud began? By the final season she had mellowed again (and put the weight back on). I think by the final season the whole cast and crew hated each other.
- When Liza was doing THE RINK, she would hide coke in her costume so she could take a snort or two whenever she was off stage.
- Why is this thread so fascinating? Loving it.\
BTW, in all fairness, R42, hadn''t Bette Davis recently had a stroke? It probably wasn''t drugs or alcohol...
- Wow, R104, that''s really classy of Baba to be talking in front of Judy''s children about whether she''s an addict or not. Nice.
- Add to that R131 the fact that he couldn''t complete one sentance while spinning that spoon. Not even one.
- modanna on letterman! fucked up!
- DL fave Olivia Newton John on SNL around 1982. Totally coked out of her mind and it was not a one off. %0D\
When she came home to Australia to support Xanadu, she appeared on our top music show ''Countdown'' in order to judge a Xanadu dance competition (this had to be seen to be believed). The footage of her singing Magic and Xanadu is classic. Sweating, wild eyed and stumbling about. Naughty Olivia!
- I don''t think Olivia ever was on coke, you''re the first one to ever mention that, I think you''re making it up. Provide proof, please.
- Ben Affleck 1996-2007
- Posters here have mentioned some of Johnny Carson''s guests, but how about Carson himself?\
Somebody would have had to tie Carson''s hands behind his back to keep them away from his nose during his opening monologue every night. We used to sit and laugh at how obvious he was, but his loyal fans never seemed to catch on.\
Quite a few of the old movie stars were drunk most of the time. If William Holden was on screen after his earliest movies, he was drunk.\
Robert Mitchum admitted he was a pot smoker, and he looks pretty stoned in some of his performances.
- Kathleen Turner\
1990 Tony Awards.\
In introducing Grand Hotel she shouts "BerLIN!!!!!", and almost falls over.\
Anyone remember that?
- THAT''S MISS KATHLEEN TURNER TO YOU, BUCKO! R143
FUCK OFF. REGARDS - KL
- DL use of the c-word, and the word "frau," must be stopped - not just because they are offensive, but because they are making it possible for people to harm queer teens.\
Stop the violence.
- R145 you are batshit fucking crazy.
- Leave out the "batshit" and I agree, R146.\
Unnecessary in that sentence; your meaning is very clear and emphatic w/o it.
Anti-"Bat Shit Crazy" Troll
- Thanks to the cuntfrau troll for bumping this wonderful thread.
- Jeez R115, I was expecting far more than a reasonable sounding woman who expects things to run smoothly. She hardly raised her voice.
- Have you watched the 4th hour of the Today show?
- River Phoenix in That Thing Called Love.
- R143, that was insane. By the end of the night, I remember her making an entrance and tripping over her own feet.
- GWBush, the entire 8 years more high than not high.\
Especially when he announced the illegal invasion of Iraq on television.\
Somewhere in Europe the news feed caught him saying "were gonna get em" and laughing in that maniacal deputy dawg way.. but it was never shown here
- I have no doubt that all actors/actresses are high out of their fucking minds or drunk as shit when filming.
- R143, she was also blizted at the 1995 Tony Awards. She pronounces Ralph Fiennes'' name wrong and then is visibly wasted in other moments of the night.
- I think Bill Clinton and W were both on coke. Bill''s constant "allergy problems" were due to coke. W seemed at times to be on anti-psychotics too. W traveled with his own special toilet for god''s sake which prevented other governments from getting samples of his fluids.
- Weird this thread was bumped because just the other night I saw an old CHEERS where Kirstie Alley and Roger Rees are clearly coked out of their minds. Isn''t it also true that Bebe Neuwirth was into heroin at times during CHEERS?
Sometimes You Wanna Blow... Where Everybody Knows Your Name!
- Watching Cheers lately everyone appeared to be on drugs at some point or another.
- Sarah Palin''s resignation speech
- River Phoenix in SNEAKERS\
Robert Downey, Jr. in HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS and ALLY MCBEAL
- coke bump!
- R143 I would KILL to see that.\
Hasn''t Miss Turner been carried out of bars because of her sloppy drunkeness?
- [quote]W traveled with his own special toilet for god''s sake which prevented other governments from getting samples of his fluids.%0D\
I never heard that before. Interesting. I think W was on some kind of medication during his (so-called) presidency. Anti-psychotics are a good bet.
- John Boehner with all that alcoholic weeping.
- Jeezus Christ Philip McKeon looks like Jabba the Hutt in R86''s link.
- Anna Nicole Smith and Courtney Love OWN this thread!
And it took 166 posts...
- OMG - I can''t do links to save my life, but Anna Nicole Smith in Skyscraper is the funniest thing ever. Outakes are hilarious. The director feeding her lines (no, not that) and she still blows it (no not that either) - check it out. YOUTUBE - Anna Nicole Skyscraper.
- r168, you copy and paste the link into the URL field. It''s not complicated.
- Vanity was so blitzed during this interview with Dick Clark on American Bandstand that you just know Dick was thinking, "This chick is on some GOOD shit."
- Neil Young is Scorsese's The Last Waltz. Not only can you see the rock hanging out of his nostril, he's practically trying to chew his own face off. Must have been some good shit.
- [quote]John Goodman is excellent in "Roseanne" - people love him, I think he won Emmys, too. Never noticed the tweaking.
He never won an emmy (got nominated endlessly) and the tweaker in Roseanne was TOM ARNOLD, not Goodman (though he has demons of his own).
Arnold's jittery fidgeting, bouncing, jaw chewing, and teeth grinding was very obvious. Any other actor would have been fired, but he was fucking the stra, creator, and producer.
Later in talk shows it was worse, with some serious finger fidgeting. Very uncomfortable to watch him. I'm thinking serious methhead.
- It might not have been obvious but the original company of Fosse's "Dancin'" had very serious cocaine use, especially from Ann Reinking and Vicki Frederick.
- I thought John Goodman's problem was booze.
- R139, does this really looked like someone who is coked up? I don't think you know what on earth you're talking about.
Oh, and the performances of Xanadu and Magic that you refer to are also on YouTube.
If she's on coke there, I must be on crack right now.
- Amy Winehouse in Belgrade
- I think Cherry Jones is mildly to moderately stoned on a bit of weed in this interview from the set of "New Years Eve."
Her eyes are glassy. She looks really great, though, I just truly think she is a mite bit stoned on weed.
- Minnelli and Moore, and many of the crew on Arthur, were coked to the gills.
- Robert Plant was high as a kite in "The Song Remains The Same" documentary for Led Zeppelin.
Jimi Hendrix was totally out of his mind at the Isle of Wight weeks before he died.
- Here's the clip of Kathleen Turner introducing Grand Hotel...watch the entire first minute.
- Edie Beale in Grey Gardens.
- r180, to me she just looks like she had to get up from the dinner table to do a quick intro and was still chewing her food, burping, and had something stuck between her teeth ... but no drugs.
- R182, come on! she is clearly drunk.
- R172, Goodman actually was, according to Roseanne in her new book, a cokehead. She mentions in the book how, while filming a scene, she looked up his nose and saw coke boogers.
- Yes r184 we all know that - but the only one in that show who looked tweaked out was Arnold. Goodman, like Bertinelli, Williams, Fisher, Bateman, DeVito, and others who apparently were partying it up pretty hard in front of the cameras, passed undetected (by the public anyway).
- Michael Pitt on Boardwalk Empire. And rumor has it he was fired because of it.
- Clip of Kerry Katona (talentless Northern bint) on This Morning tv show, clearly off her face and trying to deny it.
This was pretty big news at the time, because this was live daytime tv and she was clearly a shambolic mess.
- Director Sydney Pollack confessed in a documentary about Natalie Wood many years ago that he had to get the actress genuinely drunk for a drunk scene in This Property is Condemned.
- Was Katona made fun of on an episode of Ab Fab? Edina woke up and a voice (like Katona's) was on the radio.
- Tea Leoni in DEEP IMPACT. She clearly looks zonked out on something.
I bet Diana Scarwid had to take a few hits of something to do battle with Faye "Psycho" Dunaway on the set of MOMMY DEAREST.
- Melanie Griffith in Working Girl.
How many times does she clear her throat in that film? It is like all the time. Right before every last scene she clears her throat. So annoying. Is that a sign of some sort of drugs taking?
I think it is all she can do to speak of that shit film "New Years Eve." Maybe she fired one up before that thing you posted? Just kidding. If Sarah Paulson introduced her to some shit on that film, all Lesbian theater geeks will be up in arms about it because we all love Cherry Jones.
- Turner raising her voice a bit on "Berlin" is to quiet the audience applause, obviously trying to keep the show running close to on schedule.
- [quote]as though they're sinuses are filled with a mixture of coke and snot.
Christine Lahti, having missed this thread 'cause I was in the bathroom
- I can't believe nobody has mentioned Tom Cruise's performance on Oprah.
- OMG, r6!
- I disagree, R185. There are many times while watching "Roseanne" that I thought John Goodman must've been on [i]something[/i]. He, too, was quite manic and figety at times. Maybe not as much as Tom Arnold, but the twitches and ticks were definately noticeable.
- For R27. There is an old video floating around called something obvious like, "Stevie Nicks Backstage Drugs." An edited copy is at link, though technically she's finished her performance.
In the unedited version the audio is clear. You've found that copy when you can hear Stevie tell another woman that she should have joined them on some trip, "you fucker!", and describing how her legs were shaking to some guy. It's funny, not meant to be mean spirited, a real slice of backstage life. The camera follows Stevie as she literally trips around the backstage area, hugging and chatting with everyone, including a child who Stevie explains found a piece of jewelry that had come off during the show. A minute later some guy puts his arm around her waist, and Stevie doesn't miss a beat as she removes it.
It's worth keeping an eye out for.
- I take it back, this video looks like it has all the audio.
- [quote]Judy Garland in unused footage for Annie Get Your Gun.
I have seen all of that footage, and Judy isn't edgy or manic, she's really just exhausted looking. She turns it on and off like a light switch, but when it goes off, it's OFF! She just seems depleted, poor thing.
- Natasha Lyonne in Freeway 2
- One of Eric Dane's last episode of Grey's Anatomy. Especially in that flash back scene where his character is in bed with Callie, You could see his body and he just looked like someone on Intervention before the recovery.
- There is also an interview Whitney did with Mariah Carey for PoE and it is, in a word, painful. You can see bits of it at link, wish I could find the whole video for the full effect, but it is still obvious beyond belief.
Also, at one point Whitney goes into what is clearly a not so flattering impersonation of Celine which was fun. Mariah just sat bac and laughed nervously and patiently tried to wrangle Whitney in at one point. She was actually trying to help her not embarrass herself.
- Pretty much every celebrity ever on a Battle of the Network Stars. I'm guessing the cocaine being passed around by competitors was plentiful. The one who stood out to me when I recently watched an episode was Andrew Stevens (Flamingo Road).
- [quote]Bette Davis presenting an Oscar in 1987.
Maybe you're right but I always assumed her behavior was due to the stroke she had.
- Steve Winwood with Traffic playing "Dear Mr. Fantasy" live at Santa Monica in 1972. His pupils were dilated.
- Kathleen Turner in "House of Cards". Drunk.
- Which is more unprofessional? Ruining a movie b/c you show up on set fucked up and hungover or publicizing it to a small group of UCLA film students. We've only read about it this, it was never leaked.
- There is a 1967 pulp movie called HOT RODS TO HELL!. Veteran actor Dana Andrews from Hollywood's golden age, is propped up to play a role in this "hip" new exploitation flick about dangerous bikers torturing his innocent suburban family. Andrews is visibly drunk-- even very drunk-- throughout the film, slurring with eyes at half-mast, and it's embarrassing to watch... that is, unless you are watching the film as a campy cult hoot, as many do now.
david lincoln brooks
- Barry Williams was admiitedly high in the Brady Bunch episode where Bobby was the safety monitor.
Pandora the cat.
- [quote] Saturday Night Live, any and every season. In the 70s, probably the entire cast except for Jane Curtain and Gilda Radner.
Gilda Radner was doing heroin on SNL.
- In his later years, Keith Moon would pass out onstage from drugs and booze. But in earlier years, he took amphetamines and his stage performances were kind of super human. A Quick One While He's Away in the film Rock and Roll Circus is amazing.
- DL fave Patti LuPone during her stint in "Evita" on Broadway.
- I've read most of the bios on Snl and Radner and I don't think I've ever heard it said that she partook in any drugs, certainly not heroin.
- From the multiple accounts of SNL that I've read as well, Radner and Curtin were always singled out as the only two not using...Radner had terrible bulimia however. Never heard anything about Curtin, other that she came into the Henri Bendel's in Chicago (looooong time ago) and my friend waited on her and said she reeeeeked of cigarette smoke.
- The 1985 Tony Awards. Both Robert Goulet and Liza Minnelli were incredibly chemically altered. Goulet couldn't figure out when his cue was to start singing "The Happy Time" and asked the orchestra leader during the musical intro, "Have we started yet?"; Liza fell out of her shoe while dancing the "Don't Be a Wallflower" number from "The Rink" with Chita Rivera and would forget her steps.
- Susan Dey at the 1990 MTV awards