- I don''t know about "we," but I love her and always have.
- She sang the sexiest song ever, apparently.
- I''m hopelessly devoted to her. I love her. I honestly lov her.
- What is it about her that appeals to the gays?
- Because she would take us to a place... where nobody dared to go!
- Great point, r5.
- My love is running deeper than the night, stronger than the north wind blowing. It''s a fire burnin'' bright; and it''s always been this way.%0D
- Gays loved and continue to love her because: (1) she''s extremely pretty and has great hair; (2) she''s extremely nice (or so was her public image); (3) her image was also about being a wholesome pretty virgin on the surface who was at night a secret slutpig (cf. GREASE, "Physical"); (4) like Tori Spelling, she was always perfectly aware of her inadequacies as an actress and wanted to work all the harder because of them (even if to little effect); (5) the great John Farrar arrangements; (6) she loves us back (she''s hugely pro-fgay); (7) She''s incredibly humble ("This next numbah was the title song I sang inna movie called XANADU... *gasps after tumultuous cheering* oh, yew actually SAWWR it?"); (8) she married crypto-gay hunky dreamboat Matt Lattanzi; (9) her song''s lyrics are so unabashedly sugary; (10) no one could possibly ever cross their arms together behind her head more fetchingly than she does during the XANADU title number
- Did they ever find her missing boyfriend?
- I''m still waiting to be taken to a suggestive movie.
- how could you not?
- r9, I think it was pretty much confirmed he is in Mexico.%0D\
Fucker skipped out on his kiddo too.
- She''s the one that I want. \
Here''s my favorite Olivia song. Seriously.
- Apr 2, 2010 ... The former boyfriend of Olivia Newton-John, who vanished five years ago, has given private investigators conclusive proof he is alive
Truth is Stranger Than Fiction
- She''s okay. I like her songs more than her singing.
- My favorite comment about her (and I don''t know where I heard it) was: "If Wonder Bread could sing, it would sound like Olivia Newton-John".
- I love that song R13 and I love the way she looks there. My favorites are Please Mr. Please, Come On Over, If Not For You, and It''ll Be Me.
- Olivia Newton John ~ The RuPaul Show
- OP, what do you think we think of her? Seriously, does this question even need to be asked?
- She is a fuckin'' Goddess on Earth.\
Had a better quality version of this on VHS for years.\
Tried my best to emulate this look (yes, I''m a guy).
- r20, oh that brings back the memories. Love that song.
- If she''s Wonder Bread, then I''m buying loaves until they come out my ass.
- That number with Gene Kelly is just wonderful and much better than I remembered. %0D\
As if there were not a hundred OTHER reasons to love OLJ, she goes down in film history as the last partner for Gene Kelly onscreen, joining the ranks of Judy Garland, Rita Hayworth and Vera-Ellen. She is surprisingly good in that number, getting the simple choreography down and looking like a better dancer than she is. Gene said Judy did the same with him.
- She''s like an angel to me!!
- If Not For You - George Harrison on guitar.
- Please enlighten me: Is she gay?
- She''s not gay r26.
- I find it quite whacky that her grandfather was a famous German-Jewish physicist who won the Nobel Prize and that her father helped crack the Enigma code during the war.
- Love Olivia and have all her albums. Her voice has really aged well, and she still sounds and looks great. \
She has a sense of humor about herself and her career that is disarming. \
This song was a flop, but is one of my real guilty pleasures-
Elron and Bernie
- What''s up with her freaky daughter?
- love her.
- This is my favorite flop song, plus Matt is in the video!
- [quote]I find it quite whacky\
- Do you think Olivia and Karen Carpenter ever bumped pussies? They were BFFs for years.
- You''re a bore, r33.\
Did you know that about Olivia Newton-John? It''s all true!
- Love us some ONJ!
- I wish she would do another pop album. Re-team with John Farrar and give us a dose of the old magic. %0D\
Amy Sky is good, but the healing CD''s are getting redundant.
- R27, many think she is gay.
- R37, look up ONJ''s "Sordid Lives" songs on youtube for a change of pace.
- Anybody read Sing Out by Boze Hadleigh? The section Songbirds supposedly contains an interview with ONJ and her then husband Matt Latanzi.
- Olivia was the kinder Madonna of my generation - she ruled the airwaves. Beautiful and affable. %0D
About 2 years ago I was taken to /went along to see her live. OMG, the "whispy" voice that she's accused of - NO, NO, NO NO ! She had an enormous range,(held those high notes - WOW did she!, incredible vocal strength and range, perfect pitch and she was fun and humble. She sang "Cry Me River" - now my fave reading of that classic, (also on CD of hers called, "INDIGO"). I ran out and got as many CD's as I could find. She was always stunning and today, with a few forgiveable tucks or fillers, she still looks like a million. %0D
Live in concert - no dancers, explosives, CHER nonsense - a proper vocalist - mesmerizing. %0D
Listening to her last CD now - a healing CD, "Grace & Gratitude" - gorgeous, and it will speak to anyone who has been through a trial of any kind. One track with musical interludes - incorporates all faiths without being a religious CD - it is an hour of meditation - gorgeous. If only I could rewind time and have followed her all of her 40 years out there... a true vocalist - beautiful and this CD, "Grace & Gratitude" is stunning. I've always liked her - cutie pie etc.,etc. but man, this CD has been on repeat on my IPOD at home for months now. Olivia is a beautiful singer and I suspect a truly beautiful soul.%0D
Nay sayers - no time for you. I'm a late in life "convert" and glad thatI rediscovered this rollerskating muse - she is all that and so much more.
Happy to have rediscoverd Olivia
So wait, how was she like Madonna?
- She released one of my favorite songs in 1992. I was living in Orlando and the pop stations there played the hell out of it, it was always packing the dancefloor at the clubs. I never bought it as a single, though. When I moved to other cities later on, no one had ever heard of it. Anyone remember this song?
- R32 beat me to it. Soul Kiss should have been one of her biggest hits. The song could be released today and not sound a bit dated. That is when she looked her hottest too.
- Plus, Olivia never had to take her clothes off to sell a record.
- The song from the scene just before R12''s. Not on the soundtrack (only on the B side of Suddenly 45).%0D\
Plus the video has some vintage photos of the Pan Pacific where they filmed much of the movie.
- R43, I remember that song, "I Need Love". Unfortunately, it did very poorly on the charts, peaking at #96. I never once heard it on the radio, but I know it because it first appeared on her compilation album "Back To Basics" which was released that year. It was one of four new songs on that album, all the rest were previous hits. "Soul Kiss", which someone posted earlier, wasn''t really a flop. It peaked at #20. Perhaps a flop compared to her list of Top Ten hits, but peaking at #20 out of a 100-position chart ain''t too shabby, either. %0D\
Anyone who might want to get a CD of her hits should get the 2-disc set called "Gold". It has all of her hits except one major hit, "I Can''t Help It", the duet she did with Andy Gibb, and one minor hit, "I Need Love". There is also a DVD set of her videos called, "Video Gold I and II" which is great as well.
- My favorite lesser known ONJ song .... also features Matt L.
- [quote]many think she is gay.\
Yeah, and most of them belong to the flat earth society.
- I was obsessed with her as a youth in the 70''s, mainly because she was pretty, nice, seemed humble and has some really good 70''s hits. I think her voice is underrated, she is definitely a better singer than she is given credit for.\
I really like her early 80''s stuff when she released Magic, A Little More Love and tried a harder edge. She was suprisingly versatile, she started as a country singer. Let Me be There is a great song as well, she has a really impressive catalog.
- Does anyone have a copy of that video where she, Karen Carpenter, and a bunch of others are singing? It was posted here a few years ago but I''ve not seen it since. Part of it took place in some night club. I don''t remember the name of the song.
- Wasn''t it ''Heartache Tonight'' from one of Olivia''s specials, R52 ?
- That''s "Heartache Tonight" from her pre-Oscar "Hollywood Nights" special in 1980! Love it! This is also where Tina met Roger Davies.
- Karen Carpenter looks like hell in that clip.
- R41 is the *screamer* of other threads.\
Puleeeze, Olivia was no Madonna of anyone''s generation. She was a just a pleasant singer of routine pop songs, many of them were hits. \
If you count ONJ as a 1970s Madonna, you''d have to count in ALL of the others: Karen Carpenter, Cher, Donna Summer, Toni Tennille, Helen Reddy and on and on.
- Madonna has mentioned Olvia as an influence and borrowed from her.%0D\
"True Blue" - "Physical" covers%0D\
"Physical Attraction" - Blatant rewrite of "Physical"%0D\
You Madge freaks need to give it a rest.
- Madonna''s singing abilities (or lack of) is not what makes her MADONNA.
- [quote]Karen Carpenter looks like hell in that clip.\
- I would like to see Olivia''s MCA albums remastered with bonus tracks. Her original albums have been out of print for awhile now.
- LOVE LOVE LOVE her!
- We''re gay. She''s an icon. We love her. Nuff said.
- She''s turned into another plastic surgery freak, unfortunately. I also thought it odd that she was so willing to play herself in Glee as a raging cunt, as well.
- Come on Over is my favorite song of hers.
- I think she has a new CD coming out.
- Like others here, I''ve always been a fan and have all of her albums in all forms (8-track, record, cassette and cd).%0D\
My favorite song is "1,000 Conversations" from "Don''t Stop Believin''." It was never a single or hit, but I love it.
- R66, she has a new version of her last CD coming out; it''s not a pop CD but one of her New Age Cds of instrumentals and meditative ballads. The original version is great background music but, as much as I admire her for just doing whatever she feels is her calling, I really would love for her to do one kick-ass from start to finish pop/dance album.
- I fell in love with Livvy because of this song "Country Girl."
- LOVE ONJ! She has always and always will be (lip injetions and face work aside)Totally Hot.
- she was truly beautiful in her prime and still looks pretty good depite the fillers and botox.
- IF she was in her prime today and with all the paps and sites - she would be all over the place %0D\
look at her in the TOTALY HOT pics - amazing %0D\
Xanadu - stunning %0D\
Physical - cute and pretty %0D\
and soon after she walked away from the spotlight to have a family ( hot hubby) %0D\
came back with THE RUMOUR - still hot %0D\
If only her primetime career days were NOW - wow what a beauty she''d be all over the place.%0D\
- She was hottest in the Totally Hot phase. R70s clip has her hottest looks. That was her prime in my opinion.
- She''s too greasy!!
My father''s words (I agree)
- She''s building The Olivia Newton John Cancer and Wellness Centre.She''s a beautiful caring woman.
- She''s totally bilking her fans with the re-relase of the snoozy "Grace and Gratitude." Many of the tracks have been re-sung and there are also 2 new tracks on the domestic re-release. However-there is a 2 disc version being released in Austria with the second disc containing remixes of Physical and Magic by Tracy Young. The kicker-the first disc is the original version of "Grace and Gratitude", so a true fan gets to pay an import price for the 2 remixes and an album they already have as well as shelling out $10 for the domestic re-release. She''s the Marie Antionette of the 21st century. Oh, and save your "it''s all the record company''s fault" spiel.
Olivia says what recession?
- She had a sweeter voice when she sang Country pop in the mid 1970''s before going to the pop route.
- Didn''t she go bankrupt at some point? Some failed business venture in cosmetics.\
Does anyone know how involved/uninvolved she was in raising Chloe? It''s weird how I still think of Olivia as the sweetest thing ever, despite the car wreck that is Chloe(for which Livvy must at least be partially responsible for).
- I don''t understand why you (or your father) would consider her greasy, R74. It''s not like she looks like Danny Trejo.
- Olivia didn''t go bankrupt, even though a lot of articles mention that. Her clothing store, Koala Blue, went bankrupt, which meant Olivia lost her investment.%0D\
The original KB store was very successful, and within a couple of years, all these franchises popped up. That was just a bad idea. The main attraction was Olivia, not the merchandise. She would appear at the opening and attract customers, and then all the excitement was gone. Once you had your cute KB t-shirt and mug, you didn''t really need to go back. There''s just no way those stores could have lasted. All the investors lost their money. They all seemed to blame Olivia since she founded the store, but I don''t think she really had any part with the franchising.
- "A kindler, gentler Madonna? ...BECAUSE she ruled the airwaves for 15 years. Pop's then princess racking up 100 Million LP's sold. And she starred in Grease, the most successful, beloved movies of all time. It still plays well, while Xanadu gains a larger cult following every year. Madonna is not fit to wipe her ass. Madonna thought by shock and trash talk, she'd be noticed with her Mickey Mouse one note voice. Now Madge is eloquently "British", (won't even go near how she destroyed Evita). I was just trying to make you younger ones understand how BIG Olivia was for years. When she returned from years off, (marriage, kid), radio had forgotten her. Check her for range, emotion and versatilty. She was a knockout and if today was her heyday, magazines would go wild. Instead she does charity work now, sings what she wants to while Madonna willl be singing duets with Myley Cyrus JUST to stay in the game when she is 60. The reference was so you'd understand her popularity, all achieved w/o grabbing her crotch like "hungry with blood still on her muzzle, Madonna.
She''s a Lady
- The transformation that Olivia had in Grease with "You''re the One That I Want" is what Madonna is STILL trying to top.
- She did an outdoor Gay Pride concert here in NYC and it got virtually no p.r. - she needs to work on that. It was on Governor''s Island off the southern tip of Manhattan. Didn''t hear one word about it. . .did anyone go??? It was on a Sat. evening.
- "Physical Attraction" - Blatant rewrite of "Physical"\
You. Are. On. Crack.
- Here''s pics from the NYC Gay Pride concert, looks fun. Someone notes that they were kicking themselves for missing it, because the Pier Dance sucked.
- I have the 2 disc set of all of her videos and some of them are craptastically hysterical. She is beautiful and I like her songs. I, too, saw her live and she was good!
- She''s not bankrupt. Her money was carefully invested during her glory years and she is set for life.
- I liked her Physical and Soul Kiss albums, but other than that, I really don''t like any of her other work. Never seen more than 15 minutes of Grease because it looks so irritating and annoying and never seen Xanadu at all. I do remember her playing in some Christmas movie once that was cheesy but OK.
Good voice though
- Vicious of you not to like and adore "Xanadu"! My friend saw it twice on the East Side on acid! We used to roll up the carpet, put on the album and rollerskate to it. Sorry I missed the Governor''s Island gig but seriously Livvy needs better p.r. and a more prestigious gig, like The Beacon.
- "Soul Kiss" is written by Mark Goldenberg of The Cretones fame. He also wrote "Kick in the Heart" for Kim Carnes'' excellent "Cafe Racers" album for EMI.
I liked "Crazy in the Night"
- I always liked this song. Came out at a time when gay men were referred to as being magical. So this song fit that image . And, anyway the guitarist and the drummer in the video are hot.
- Her squeaky, high-pitched voice was nothing much to listen to. But she was lucky in that she got a lot of very commercial, catchy songs that became big hits, even though her singing wasn''t impressive. It also didn''t hurt that she was good-looking. She was very marketable. %0D\
She was originally packaged as a country music singer! Several of her early hits got on the oountry music charts and she was nominated and I think won several country music awards. There was some criticism of that; she SANG what sounded like country music songs but was definitely a pop singer. %0D\
I always thought she sounded silly as hell singing sexually suggestive songs like "Physical." She never seemed even remotely sexual, even when she tried to be.
- "You. Are. On. Crack."%0D\
You know nothing, as usual.
- I feel bad for her daughter..
- Here''s her daughter.. she already has plastic surgery at a young age and her voice is awful.
- She sounds good live and has a great body for someone her age. I liked her in that Last Party movie, though she was playing herself. And Sordid Lives was hot, too.
I have the original "Totally Hot" lp in my collection, with Xanadu
- Do they go to the same hack for PS?\
How could ONJ pay for so many procedures on her young daughter? So wrong.
- "Olivia didn''t go bankrupt, even though a lot of articles mention that."%0D\
No, she didn''t go bankrupt. But a lot of the investors in "Koala Blue" lost their shirts. They thought it was a sure thing; a clothing line by Olivia Newton John! Surely the money would roll in. But it didn''t; the corporation was very ineptly run, and it failed. A lot of people were angry at her for that, but she didn''t really seem to have anything to do with the business end of the venture. It was just a clothing line with her name on it. But I think she did bear some responsibility for its failure.
- I know a longtime member of her band. According to him, she is not gay, and she is very nice and down to earth.
- [R96] That was a great comparative -funny. Madonna''s face is so rough, Olivia WAS Magic. She needs a PR Machine now, and Madonna can continue with her elocution lessons. I wish Madonna couldlearn to control her batting eyelashes. they beat in relation to how nervous she is - so distracting...you think she is going to take flight. Olivia, why you let your daughter mess up her face is shameful, but you are forgiven, you brightened my youth, my twenties and even now, you sparkle, (although I have to research what your latest releases are... GET A PR REP~!
Honestly Love and am Hopelessly devoted to Olivia
- I like "Heart Attack"! The drums, the weird synth, the Tom Scott tenor sax solo, fun song! Played it at the local gay bar and people liked it, had totally forgotten about it.
- If you love her, let her know.
- "You Were Great (How Was I)" duet with Carl Wilson of The Beach Boys is good. Sounds like a "Grease" song.
from "Soul Kiss" album
- She, Kenny Loggins & Cher all had the same manager, John Kolodner.
- Koladner is not a manager He was A/R at Geffen. CHer has her manager now and becasue Cher wants to work and be big, she is. When Olivia was with Roger Davies she opted to stay home and "phone it in" and that''s why, (in part). she''s so far off the map now.%0D\
I like Olivia alot - beautiful woman, gorgeous emotive voice. Loggins can write a nice tune, I am not much for Cher, (actually think she is untalented in many ways). To each his own.
- What was the deal with her runaway husband? Did he actually die, fake his death, or just go on walkabout?
- You don''t see Liv going around trying to play Mama Rose
- She''s still got it. I wish she''d release another pop-esque album.
- She looks really good in that clip, thanks! Sound mix is iffy. But used to love that song.
- Cher is not untalented, she''s multi-talented. Not many stars can rock a successful music and movie career over decades, idiot at 106!
- Every straight guy loved her in the 70s
- Dear [R11] Cher can act, but she herself says she is no great singer. She has no range. To each his own, but I would rather see/hear a singer SING and not what Cher does with lipsyncing, dancers, elaborate sets, pyrotechnics, costumes etc. All of that is to guise the fact that she has a lousy voice. I mean who could listen to a Cher ballad? No range, emotion etc. She was very lucky to be at the right place at the right time with M. Nichols that led to her revival.%0D
Ugh, I could care less about her, and won't say any more except that she looks silly trying to compete with the kids - she is not attractive, and pretty damned mean,(she did some # on her then manager, when "Believe" hit big. Nevermind, it is a matter of opinion and Cher is no vocalist. Olivia has gotten better, stronger over the years and does what she wants musically, because she knows radio is unfriendly to her anyway. Too bad not enough people know her work after 1988, (and that she semi -retired when she had a kid). She's a well kept secret and recently even wowed over the V.V. crtics as a phenomenal singer. Cher is an attention seeking PERFORMER, she is not a vocal artist, she can act, Olivia cannot. Peace to you.%0D
- Olivia was "the shit" from 1975-1982. She was the Madge/Mariah/Katy Perry/Adele of her time. I think her "Xanadu" stuff like "Magic", "Suddenly" and the movie''s theme song, surpass 90% of the MOR/Hot AC crap that''s out there now. Kylie Minogue said back in the late 80''s, that just seeing Olivia on the screen inspired her to get into music and showbiz.
- Who wrote that she was Sandra Dee to Linda Rondstat''s Connie Francis? I remember reading that ages ago and cannot remember who wrote it. It was quite spot on. \
Is the rumor true that she and Karen Carpenter were lovers?
- Olivia was robbed and should have been the lead in "Mamma Mia". They didn''t need Streep to sell tickets - it was already a pop cult classic and Olivia would have been a better choice - there was no acting required for that roll. Olivia''s people should have at least tried to get her in, but Tom Hanks useless hiena(sp),hanger-on wife wanted Streep who is an "A" List. IT was pop role that Olivia could have nailed. Stupid producers, Rita Wilson? %0D\
Olivia is still a doll in many people''s book, she is unfortunately not known to mainstream excpet for Grease and that ranks way below in all of the good music she turned out.
Give me the 70''s and early eighties any day.
- I loved the songs like "Have You Never Been Mellow," "Please Mr. Please," and "If You Love Me, Let Me Know." To me that is classic Olivia Newton-John at her finest.
- Just saw this again - Gosh, Olivia was such a lady and divinely gorgeous.
I repeat- she should have gotten the lead in the film version of MAMMA MIA, Olivia WAS the seventies prettiest lass/singer. Mamma Mia didn't need Streep to sell tix, (thank you Rita Wilson)and ONJ singing the ABBA songs would have been superb.
Olivia will always rock - thank god she got bettter hair and make-up after Grease. The Totally Hot photo shoot ...and Xanadu just fabulous.
NOW she just needs a Public Relations machine to get her back on the map. I heard that Ellen would not have her on as a guest as she is a "has been"? If that is true, phooey on Ellen and IF Olivia had the right public relations to barter/bargain other artists when dealing with Ellen, she would be on. Fire your PR peeps Olivia.
- I saw her in December at a small local theater and was blown away at how good she was. She put everything into a 2.5 hour show.
- [quote]I repeat- she should have gotten the lead in the film version of MAMMA MIA, Olivia WAS the seventies prettiest lass/singer. Mamma Mia didn't need Streep to sell tix, (thank you Rita Wilson)and ONJ singing the ABBA songs would have been superb.
That would have been epic! My gosh, she would had a multi generational built in audience and that is a hard thing for a film to have.
R123 you need to be ONJ's publicist, man.
- Thanks, but it is elementary. "Producer" Rita Wilson,(how do you spell hyeana?) HAD to have an "A LIST" name- Meryl. No sweetie, ON-J was the perfect fit and it would have made for a far more pleasant, FUN movie. It was guaranteed worldwide hit on it's own. Olivia singing ABBA - OMG! Tom Hanks, (AND HOLLYWOOD), should lance and get rid of that boil, Rita Wilson for good.
Olivia recently walked 125 miles on The Great Wall of China to raise $200 million for cancer. Now that is an accomplishment. BUT her "publicist" only managed to get her 2 minutes on the national joke, that atrocity - "news" program: FOX & FRIENDS hosted by the three most unprofessional morons who talked over Olivia the whole time. It aired at 7:30 AM? Why even bother? She NEEDS NEW PR - a professional publicist with some industry clout. Who's in charge now? A fan plucked from the crowd? A relative in need of a job? She is being rooked.
Always a fan and trying hard to find her on real talk shows.
- I forgtot this reminder....
- Except for maybe Markie Post no one could rock a mullet like Olivia. Come to think of it no one should try.
- I absolutely love ONJ. Check out her "Gaia" album, the only one where she wrote every song. It's actually pretty good, although it gets a little hippy dippy after a while. On a side note, my fave forgotten ONJ song is "Tied Up." Incredibly sexy to me.
- Love Tied Up.
I love the whole CD Come On Over. To bad they didn't hype it. They new her image was about to flip flop with Grease so they just kind of let it lay there. Several great tracks. The title song of course. It'll be Me and He's My Rock stand out.
One of the best album covers too.
Also loved nearly every track on Soul Kiss. Why that bombed is still a mystery to me.
- There is no song called "He's my Rock" on "Come on Over". Some fan.
- Yeah got it wrong. It must have been on Clearly Love. Great song.
- But I just love It'll Be Me.
- Avoid the soundtrack to "A Few Best Men" at ALL COSTS. Olivia should be ashamed to have her name stuck to this. Even her long awaited reunion with John Farrar amounts to a "meh".
- It is very interesting to hear John Farrar's solo take on It'll Be Me from his album Reckless. It is totally different. Olivia's is better, but his is cool. Also on his album is his version of Recovery from the Physical album. Again Olivia's is better.
- Pretty girl, UGLY child, second only to the Rumer Willis in the ugly department, closet lesbian and bad plastic surgery.
- She takes us through that wonderland that only toucans share.
- She's from a place... where nobody dared to go!
- "It'll Be Me" an old Cliff Richard song. "Come On Over," and old Bee Gees song, "Carried Away," rejected by Barbara Streisand as inferior and written by Gibb. "Toughen Up," rejected by Tina Turner. "Please Mr Please," an old Bruce Welch song
Here's a brunette ON-J on Australian TV as a kid
- Olivia's complete transition and transformation, both professionally and personally with Grease and then "Totally Hot" was stunning to witness because it was so natural and perfect!
- That was not a mullet , although it was 83 and ON-J should never be compared to Marky Post.
Olivia never looked better than she did here and should ave hawked it - hhair and make-up contracts, but oddly, she never did.
Defending O' again
- I think she deserves a medal for even living on the same street as that crazy woman Babula and having the restraint to not set fire to Babula's insult to architecture, the "barn". What I could do with a flame-thrower and about an hour would make your head spin like Linda Blair in "The Exorcist".
- Favorite ONJ song of all time, Deeper Than The Night.
- She really did reach her peak of beauty during A Little More Love. Though I also really liked her look in Soul Kiss.
- and have you all seen this ONJ gem?
- One more post before I become the ONJ troll. Though it may be too late. Here is a video with some pictures of a very, very young Olivia. She looked like a very sad little girt.
- Last one - July 1980 and even though she had to know she was gorgeous, she never flaunted it? AND we didn't have all of the paps and celeb sites / the net to catch her every move. I still think my [R141] can make one's heart skip a beat.
Love the Lovely Livvy
- I was never a hardcore lesbo but i have licked pussy at least twice in my life and it was fine.
- Not a lesbian. But boy, I wish she was.
- She was on "Katie" this week and Didi Conn came out and made a sex joke about Livvy's baked apple! In fact ONJ was also on The Chew the same day. Looks good and I wish she would do a concert at The Beacon or City Winery. I've been working "Deeper Than The Night" and "Whenever You're Away from Me" - she and Gene Kelley sound good together and I love the big band arrangement. Would be really fun to choreograph.
- So, there are lesbian rumors about her? Why?
- Why she and her first husband Matt Lattanzi got a divorce after 11 years of marriage?
I also read this in IMDb about and i found it so fucking bizarre:
On June 30, 2005, her long-time boyfriend, cameraman Patrick McDermott, went missing after going on an overnight fishing trip on a sport fishing vessel out of San Pedro, California. He was located in April 2009 by "Dateline NBC" investigators. Missing since January 2005, he was found in a Mexican beach town, living under the name of Pat Kim and working on a yacht that carries tourists in and out of a marina near Sayulita, Mexico.
Anybody knows Olivia's reaction after learning that?
...And my God, her second husband's name is Amazon John Easterling!
- Is she a lesbo?
- I never understood the appeal of her singing--thin, airy voice, and shrill on the high notes (I saw an interview, where her father, a music teacher, opined that she had "a ....nice....voice," and that was it). Not much of an actress, either. But always seemed nice, down to earth, and generous.
- [quote]What do we think of her?
OP afraid to voice an opinion that may go against other views.
- and she probably would have agreed with everything R155 said. I always got the feeling she never took it all too seriously and realized she had a lot of lucky breaks.
Her she is at the height of her fame and she just wants to through the spotlight to her sister and Jeff Conway.
- Is her possible closeted lesbianism an issue to her gay fans?
- I didn't know that wack boyfriend was found. They hussed that up.
- and a rather surreal clip with ONJ and Gloria Swanson. Had no idea Olivia was a high school dropout at the age of 15.
- Gay closet case Brit singer Cliff Richard helped her start out, giving her a back-up singing job on his t.v. show.
- When I was a child I was baffled as to why I was the only boy who preferred the looks of innocent Sandy.
All the straight boys loved sex kitten Olivia with the tight leather pants.
- I really like only four songs from her singing career (except for the Grease soundtrack)
Is that a sin that i find most of her songs boring?
- Has had the same girlfriend for over 30 years.
- I saw ONJ when she was doing the David Foster touring circuit a few years ago and that bitch could sing. Flawless vocals that were live (cuz I was sitting right there). After seeing Babs, Aretha, etc. lose their voices I was surprised she sounded so good.
- But does she eat pussy?
Miss Donna Mills
- She is in the closet, i think.
- She ruined John Denver's career (Fly Away).
She killed John Travolta's career (Two of A Kind).
Elton John handed her a hit (The Rumour) and she failed.
She's a washed up, closeted, old bat.
She tried to be a sex kitten but Sheena Easton beat her to it, and Madonna did it better than both of them.
- Olivia is flawless. Very giving and very humble about all the success she has had. She doesn't seem to take the praise or the criticism too seriously.
- She fucks women?
- No, women fuck her.
- I met her when I worked in the Emergency Room.
One night she came rushing and in yelled. It's my daughter, it's my daughter."
I said, "What's wrong," She said, "She ugly and has no talent, oh won't someone please help me."
We couldn't help.
- She is like a lesbian tractable woman
- I never cared much for her music (I was a rocker and never did the pop thing). However, there was a time in my teens (the late '70s and early '80s) where I would have considered going straight for her. She was quite the looker. She's still not too hard on the eyes. Poor Travolta didn't age well though.
- Rob Olivia Newton-John was never Grace Kelly. How did you fall for her ffs?
- I was kidding Rob. Olivia has a melodic soft voice and i guess you appreciated that and her suave character...
So what's your favourite song of hers?
I would say 'Xanadu'!
- I was obsessed with her in the early 80s - she was so pretty and I loved her videos.
I've seen her live a few times and am shocked that her voice has held up so well. It sounded as though it might be thin but in truth it is very flexible and she has kept her high register in her later years.
She seems to have no pretenses about her talent or career which seems very refreshing in a very Doris Day-like way.
- Fly Away was one of John Denver's biggest hits. Her backing vocals turn a good song into a great one.
- She was god awful in that Sordid Lives TV series on Logo.
- Yes i like women! Stop it.
- R176: I was exaggerating about the going straight for her, but she just had something that I found appealing. If I ever decide to tap a lady fish again, she would be my ideal. Funny you should mention "Xanadu." I never saw the movie, but I did have the 45 single of that song. I was kind of closeted then and didn't want my brothers or my buddies to know I had it, so I hid it away in the slip cover of my Rush "Permanent Waves" album and only listened to it through my headphones. They were none-the-wiser.
- Rob you are my last message for tonight.
You made me smile with your attitude.
I suspect you are very sweet and a lot of other guys in here seem sweet or something like that...
Well, yes Xanadu is magical and i love magic.
Oh, i also really like 'Magic' by Olivia Newton-John
Be cuddly to your lover.
- I always thought Olivia was giving a shout out to her lesbian sisters when she did Sordid Lives. After all, she confesses to an affair with Grandma. I thought it was common knowledge she was gay.
Fly away stalled out at #14 and it was the first non top ten hit for Denver in years. John never had another top ten hit after that.
Same with Andy Gibb. He did a duet with ON-Lesbian and it went to #8 - I Can't Help It.
Andy Gibb never had another top ten hit after that.
Cliff Richard after dominating the British charts had top ten break through in the states with Devil Woman, We Don't Talk Anymore and Dreaming. He did a duet with ON-Lez: Suddenly. And that was it for him in the states.
That's Olivia Neutron Bomb, she kills careers but leaves buildings standing.
- Young Olivia
- I've always adored her. In my opinion, she was far better than Madonna or Lady Gaga. Both Madonna and Gaga use studio trickery on their voices to make them more palatable. Olivia has a marvelous singing voice that needs no enhancing in the studio. She is also very sweet and kind to her fans (I have met her twice-very charming both times). I love Madonna and Gaga too, but Olivia is the real McCoy. Her music takes me back to a magical time. Thank you for the music and the memories, Olivia. I love you.
Marty White, Life-Long Fan
- ON-J ruined more careers than Laugh-In
- okay, R172 - that was prety funny!
ONJ definitely could have had a bigger career but maybe she wasn't wise to the business the way people are now, or maybe she just had lousy management.
Or maybe what it boils down to is that she just didn't want to work that hard. She probably made a decent salary for her work (she only got the Grease role after Marie Osmond turned it down, so it's not like they were throwing mega millions at her) and although she had the most popular song of the 80's with Physical, I don't think she made monster money like what Gaga is doing now. It IS a shame because I've seen her twice over the years and both times she was superb. Great voice, very humble--and really seemed to be enjoying it. She should go on the road again but who knows if she will. Have any of yous seen this clip where she jumps on stage to sing Xanadu from Don't Tell Mama's from 2007?
- Yes ON-J made a boat load of money. Steve Kipner wrote physical and said he made $5 million dollars off of it.
And he only got HALF of the money, as he only wrote the lyrics. So if the writers made $10 million, you can imagine what she got.
Her problem is she tried to become the Queen of Kink and dumped John Farrar in the process. She was too old to pull that off.
She had Sheena Easton, who pulled a similar move and was able to do it very nicely and then Madonna bested everyone.
Then she had a kid and quit trying. In fact she said in an interview in 1998, when she released her failure of a comeback album "Back With A Smile," it was her ugly kid that got her back in the business.
One day Chloe came home from school and said the kids had to write about what jobs their parents, and she asked her mother what she did for a living.
Olivia said it was then she realized she was a singer who didn't sing.
- She is an interesting lesbo.
- R189 i just found this article...Read it.
- He daughter's voice when she sings is ugly.
Sorry but it is.
- She blames Mom for leaving her in "these big houses" while she was at the height of her career. Poor little thing.
Rich People's Problems
- Watching her hits dvd as I type! Yummers!
- [quote]One day Chloe came home from school and said the kids had to write about what jobs their parents, and she asked her mother what she did for a living.
And Livvy replied, "I go to a place... where nobody dared to go!"
- Koala Blue
- She seems especially cheap. You may like her.
- Would you fuck Olivia Vikki?
- Steve Kipner wrote the melody for "Physical" (and another good song for Chicago "Hard Habit to Break") lyrics are by Terry Shaddick.
- She is the lesbo queen.
- I know it's probably cheesy to say it, but I love ONJ. I love her late 70s early 80s stuff, and her country-pop stuff from the 70s. Is she the greatest singer who ever lived? Nope, but she had a nice quality to her voice, and she was sure beautiful,especially around 1980's "Magic". I remember her singing it on The Midnight Special and it was one of the few times as a kid I really had a crush on a woman.
My favorites are "A Little More Love", "Please, Mr. Please", "Deeper than the Night", "Magic", "Xanadu", "Landslide", "Twist of Fate", "Living in Desperate Times", "Sam" and of course, "Hopelessly Devoted to You".
The less said about "Soul Kiss", the better. :-)
If you love me, let me know.
If you don't, then let me go.
- ONJ is not a lesbian (sorry ladies).
I have been acquainted with her for over 30 years.
She is the polar opposite of a lesbian, she is a cockhound and a ho.
Well, not so much any more, but believe me, she was a down n' dirty cock fiend back in the day.
- R203 fool! You are blind.
- Olivia at her most glamorous.
- The "Two of Kind" video is fantastic, the one with John from that film is hoopy! And I saw them filming the movie on Columbus Ave. in the early 80s. They were both so new wave-ish and hot.
- [quote]The less said about "Soul Kiss", the better.
I disagree. That was her best album IMO. Yes, it sounds dated, but most albums do sound dated eventually. The song "The Right Moment" from the album is the best ballad she's ever done.
- She took me through that wonderland that only toucans share...
She took me to a place...where nobody dared to go!
Now...not so much.
- Have you never been yellow
Have you never tried
To the Chinaman inside....Inside of a Jew
Have you never been happy
To hear a song
Have you never thought being gay was wrong
- If you love me let me know
If you don't, then you're 'mo
I've no time for masquerades
And no protection from AIDS
If you love me, let it be
But don't give, me HIV
Take away the chain
I hate S&M pain
- Her hair in the Rumour video is flawless.
- I love Soul Kiss. This song doesn't sound dated. The rest of the CD does. I thought in this video for Soul Kiss is when she looked her best. Why the hell was there a career killing uproar over THIS?
- Soul Kiss was awful, you can tell it was two songs thrown together, and it's done so badly it sounds, when you go to the chorus, that someone switched radio stations midstream.
eat shit and die
- I like Soul Kiss and the Rumour but her healing music that she has come out with lately is not my flavor. Don't even get me started on the Chrsitmas album that she did with Travolta.
- Has Olivia ever been wet because of a woman?
- Bitch got enough names for three people. I hate that.