- No, it''s still Madonna.\
- We are not amused.
HRH ELIZABETH II
- Nope, Queen Lilibeth would still be number one.
- Lady Gaga is more famous than AJ, but less beautiful.%0D\
Lady Gaga is less famous than QE, but much better liked.%0D\
Lady Gaga is less famous than Madonna, but much more talented.
- Lady Gaga is already fading. Flash in the pan.
- Tired. Ovah. Like Aunty Em, she was a burst of fresh air then became just another corporate robot.
Pee Wee Poundstone
- Hillary Clinton and Angela Merkel don''t even get a mention?\
And I like QE a hell of a lot better than Gaga. What''s to like about Gaga? So she sings and gimmicks herself up, and that makes her #1 amongst the planet''s women? WTF?
- Michelle Obama\
- Bitch, I will cut you.
Elisabeth II, by Grace of God, Queen
- Madonna, Queen Elizabeth, Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Posh Beckham, Angelina (in that order)
- Lady Gaga is one of the most famous women among teenage girls and gay men. \
Most adults don''t really know who Lady Gaga is.\
Queen Elizabeth II is easily the most famous women in the world, Hillary Clinton would be in the top 10 too. Not Lady Gaga. Not even in the top 40.
- Pope Benedict XVI.
- R7 I don''t think Angela Merkel is that famous%0D\
R8 Oprah isn''t famous in Europe. Is she in Asia?%0D\
R10 Old people don''t know who Posh or Angelina are (or Lady Gaga, maybe not even Madonna)
- I just went to a small province in China and, while most of the teenage girls didn''t speak English, they all knew Lady Gaga and "Poker Face".
- "Oprah" is not famous in Asia either. She''s a talk show host, if you can believe that. What''s her big contribution?\
She''s not John Lennon or Germaine Greer.\
If her show is broadcast at all, it''s on the most obscure cable channel around 2 am, and in most countries it''s not shown at all.\
Her appeal is strictly limited to a ''white guilt'' US audience.
- That''s pathetic, R14.
- Oprah is famous in the USA, but outside...not so much.\
Angela Merkel is the most powerful women in the world today, but QE2 wins the fame title by a long shot.\
Lady Gaga???? OMG OP(R14). How old are you?
- R14, that''s amazing! I just went to an obscure Chinese village myself and, while the teenage girls mostly didn''t speak English, they all knew that you were full of shit!
- No. Lady CaCa is not the most famous woman.
- Jolie isn''t that globally famous.
- I went to an impoverished little village in Tibet last year for humanitarian reasons. In one hut, in a village of no more than 10 people who had never heard of Lady Gaga or Queen Elizabeth, an old woman lay dying, cancer streaming from her eyes. I kneeled down benevolently to comfort her in her last moments, since I''m quite the humanitarian, and she coughed up some blood and gasped at me, "You didn''t bring that cunt, Debra, did you?"
- If you asked anyone under thirty in the states to name a Madonna song, most would just stare at you.%0D\
"Into the Groove" came on the other day and a young woman I work with when asked thought it was Cyndi Lauper!
- Why do older gays focus on Madonna so much? There are a lot of old British pop stars, but Madonna is the one who keeps getting brought up over and over. Why her for a gay icon instead of one of her contemporaries - the Beatles, Elton John, David Bowie, Lulu, etc?%0D\
Personally, I doubt that she''s even that famous among straight people.
- Gay men always liked divas, Judy, Marilyn, Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey, etc. We even gravitated to the strong girls on the soaps, Heather Locklear, Joan Collins, etc. whatever drew us to strong willed women put through diversity and coming out on top, Madonna is the pinnacle of that.
- Lady Gaga be ugly.\
I liked it when Princess Diana was the world''s most famous woman.
Probably because "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" is getting so much air play these days.
- Lady Gaga could walk around my neighborhood on the Upper West Side in jeans and t shirt as Stefani and be invisible.
- Are you serious, OP?
- The Hillary Clinton trolls are on this thread, I see. Girls, a decent percentage of AMERICANS, let alone foreigners, would not recognize her from a photo.\
- Why do people think that Oprah is big outside of the US? She''s not.
- "So she sings and gimmicks herself up, and that makes her #1 amongst the planet''s women? WTF?"\
You DO realize you could actually be describing Madonna instead of Lady Gaga? Madonna has always been all about gimmicks, at least Gaga has a good voice and can play an instrument, I''m not even a fan, yet I can hear that! \
What she needs to do now is make a movie, hopefully she can act, that would totally piss off Madonna, haaaaa!
- The world''s most famous? It''s still Streisand.
- Lady Gaga will be more famous in twenty years.
- "Old people don''t know who Posh or Angelina are (or Lady Gaga, maybe not even Madonna)"\
I beg to differ, my mom is in her late 70s, she knows all of the above. It''s pretty hard to escape any pop culture icon these days. If these celebs are not plastered in the newspapers, they''re all over TV. Old people don''t live in caves.
- Let''s see her get her face onto some fucking currency!
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth
- Julia Roberts%0D\
No, don''t laugh, but for at least 15 years (1990 - 2005), she was the most famous actress in the world.
- It''s Britney, bitch.
- [italic]It''s Britney, bitch.[/italic]\
- [italic]Angela Merkel is the most powerful women in the world today[/italic]\
The majority doesn''t even know who the fuck Angela Merkel is. It has nothing to do with power, but with notoriety. Re-read the title of this thread.
- Miss Ball is the most well known. The world loves Lucy.
- Elton John ranks pretty high on the list.
- In 1913, almost 100 years ago, the New York Times did a study to find the most famous woman in the world. At the time, it was Mary, Queen of Scots.\
URL opens a pdf file of the old article.\
I know this is 100 years old and not what you are asking, but came across it and thought I''d throw it out there.
- Of course, MADONNA forever............
- Of course, MADONNA has still been No.1 for 3 decades.
- Despite being dead 50 years, Marilyn Monroe is still pretty famous. Her image is instantly recognizable, and she has become Hollywood personified. Her candle is kept burning (so to speak) every couple of years with new books, movies, and documentaries. Just this past year, "My Week with Marilyn" and "Smash" continue to keep the Marilyn myth alive, and artists like Nicki Minaj introduce her to new fans. Also, her estate continues to make millions every year. Elvis Presley perhaps surpasses her in worldwide popularity, but for women Marilyn is still tops.
- Do children still know Madonna? I need to ask my nephew... If they do, I think she beats Gaga. Everyone over 20 and alive knows her.
Americans need to accept that the rest of the world doesn't give a shit about Oprah. And Michelle Obama? Is this a black pride thing? The most famous men in the world are African-Americans (most famous man alive - Obama, most famous dead or alive - Michael Jackson, even if you're counting Jesus), but, I'm sorry, the world doesn't really give a fuck about O's wife, stylish outfits or not.
Hilary is very famous! More recognizable worldwide than Angela and definitely Michelle.
something like that
- Madonna is the Most Famous woman in the planet. Everyone knows Madonna!!!
- Whether she is or isn't is unimportant. I can't stand most pop music or celebrity, but she's one of the few that has struck me as a genius in her field. Madonna did this for many years, but has become a pastiche of herself recently. Hopefully Gaga won't, but who knows. Just as Bowie, The Rolling Stones, and others became hackneyed and full of limp posturing, MDNA did the same. It will be somewhat interesting to see if Gaga does the same.
- No. The world's most famous woman is MADONNA.
- The fact that this thing is famous just goes to show how completely fabricated celebrities are. I remember being embarrassed when Perez Hilton was constantly pushing her before she reached saturation point with the media.
- Here are photos of the Queen of Pop out and about in New York. She looks stunning!
- The number one female artist on the planet has an amazing singing voice.
- Lady Gaga is the Meryl Streep of music.
- I'm Queen of Music.
- Word on the street is......Gaga has the lost the weight she put on from this past fall. She's back in fighting shape......
- I have to laugh about ANYONE still inquiring about Lady GaGa. She's in pop heaven with Melissa Manchester, OK?
- Madonna wins this. Any attempt at any other name, including the Queen of England, is just disingenuous.
- R55, that street you mention must be a boulevard in Hell. Just google recent photos of GaGa and her boyfriend, she still has cottage cheese thighs and looks gross.
- Isn't Lady Gaga that faded pop star who peaked in 2010?
- [quote]Lady Gaga is the Meryl Streep of music.
No that's me, honey. 17 #1s = 17 Oscar noms + critically acclaimed acting.
- OH, FANK YOU, OP, YOU POSTEDED ABOUT MY FAVORITE SINGING STAR!
- OP, Lady GaGa is the world's most famous man.
- Every now and then someone sweeps into the room for a few years and gets the Spice Girls award. GaGa has had it now for 3 years.
- QEII is the most famous and admired woman in the world and among the richest, if not the richest. She's worked 60 years as Queen to get to that position.
Entertainers come and go - their popularity among "the public" generally applies to specific age groups. No way Madonna is better known or liked worldwide than the Queen.
- R64, what are you, about 80 years old?
- Christ almighty my bottoms gettin hot.
- 67 posts, whaddaya think OP?
- Madonna is not known in places like Africa (except Malawi where she stole those kids). Oprah is famous worldwide and she even brought Australia to a standstill.
- No she did not. You watch too much TV.
- Lady Gaga has dethroned that talentless old whore. Lady Gaga is the number one female artist on the planet. Madonna is scared shitless of the Queen of Pop. Lady Gaga reigns supreme at the top.
- Actually the young generations don't know Madonna so well at all. Gaga has her followers and is known, but not outside of young generations so well. E II is very well known, so is M Obama. Oprah is known on some countries without the hype she has in US.
- Ha, ha, ha, r70! You're so funny!
I spend a lot of time in Italy. In bars, supermarkets, stores it's very common to hear Madonna songs being played, from the whole range of her career. Lady Gaga, nothing.
In the past week or so, I heard Get into the Groove in a supermarket in Milan, Love Profusion in a cafe in Bologna and Girl Gone Wild in a clothes store in Florence.
- QEII, Hillary, Madonna, Aishwarya Rai or Kareena Kapoor, Frau Merkel, Kylie, Shakira, Michelle Yeoh, Pamela Anderson (star of the most globally broadcast show in history), and pregnant Kate are all more famous than Stefani Germanotta.
- All time most famous would be The Virgin Mary but I think she may have faked her credentials.
- Lady Gaga is queen of pop.
- [quote]comparing Madonna to Lady Gaga is like comparing Justin Beiber to the Beatles.
This weekend, Madonna's MDNA Tour is available on the Epix website. Considering Madonna is inching up to her 60th birthday, it is quite impressive. She sings, she dances, she thanks her audience, and she tries to shock. This all would have been reasons to give Madonna two thumbs up just five years ago. Since then, however, a much better pop star has come on to the scene.
After seeing Lady Gaga's Born This Way Ball tour, Madonna's seems to be a little reductive. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch it. Even though the violence in the first act might turn off a lot of people, it seems all symbolic and watching the special effects on the screens takes away from the gory parts.
During the second section, she sings "Express Yourself" mixed in with a much better song, "Born This Way." Then, Madonna repeats, "She's not me!" You are right, Madonna, She is not you. Lady Gaga is a much better singer, dancer, musician, actress, icon and everything else.
As much as Madonna tried to emulate Lady Gaga's dance moves, the former Queen of Pop just doesn't have the elasticity of the new Queen of Pop. Watching Lady Gaga dance is an amazing experience, whereas watching Madonna dance is impressive -- if not a little reductive.
Madonna tried to play the guitar during the show, but it comes off as more of a gimmick. Lady Gaga, however, plays the piano on her tour and sings beautifully. Madonna tries to sing and she does succeed until she tries to hit the high notes. Then, she sounds reductive.
Still, comparing Madonna to Lady Gaga is like comparing Justin Beiber to the Beatles. If you get past that, you may just enjoy the show.
- It's funny how far Gaga has fallen in the three short years that the OP originally posted this. This thread should basically be titled "The Anatomy and Autopsy of a Pop Career"
- Who are these women you speak of?
- Lady Gaga is only 27. Madonna was 27 in 1985. Madonna hadn't achieved at age 27 what Lady Gaga has achieved at age 27. Lady Gaga wins.
- I am starting to think that even she bought into her own hype. In 2008 she was a breath of fresh air, taking a NYC style "urban EDM" to the masses, but when she released "Born This Way", her issues based platform drove of a lot of casual fans. Supposedly, she has been working with Red One, Beyonce and Kendrick Lamarr in order to return to her fun roots. This album will be *crucial* to her longevity. Katy Perry, Rihanna, Ke$ha, Ariana Grande etc. should take note since the window of opportunity closes at the sped of thought nowadays.
- Madonna is just about to retire. MDNA was her farewell tour.
Lady Gaga is supreme ruler of music. She is queen of pop. Lady Gaga's singing voice is sensational.
- Queen of Pop.
- Lady who?
Most of the mainstream audience
- r84 No one wants to buy Madonna's shit. She's a has-been. They're tired of spending money on that old whore.
MDNA, biggest flop in the history of the charts.
- Ok r85, but you didn't answer my question: Who is this Lady Gugu the OP is speaking of?
- r86 Lady Gaga is queen of pop.
- Sure, ok r87. Lady GooGoo is QueenQueen of Pop.
- r88 Lady Gaga is number 1.
- r80, you're reasoning has so many holes it in, it might as well be called swiss cheese.
- Bitch PLEASE!
- r90 Lady Gaga is the number one female artist on the planet. Madonna is a talentless old has-been. MDNA, biggest crapfest ever in the history of the charts. LOL. Fucking hell. Lady Gaga is the Meryl Streep of music.
- Not that I'm a huge Madonna fan, but R85, didn't Lady Gaga hold the title of the biggest flop in history prior to Madonna's latest release? Therefore, making Lady Gaga's last release the second biggest flop in history? Honestly, few people take Lady Gaga seriously, and she has herself to blame for that.
- Madonna thought she was set for ever. Enter Lady Gaga. ROFL!!! Lady Gaga gives Madonna a taste of her own medicine. I fucking love it!
- Yes, R93, but when your fall is from being platinum the first week out, it's not nearly as bad as what happened with MDNA.
- Can one of the Shitty Monsters who have invaded the thread please explain to me what it's like to live a life obsessed by a marketing product? Do you get paid to crawl through forums and post? I'm being serious - it's really bizarre. I'm assuming you are over 18 years of age.
- "During the second section, she sings "Express Yourself" mixed in with a much better song, "Born This Way.""
What kind of delusion?!?
"As much as Madonna tried to emulate Lady Gaga's dance moves, the former Queen of Pop just doesn't have the elasticity of the new Queen of Pop."
Elasticity? Gaga's the one with the broken hip.
- r96 Madonna is one of the biggest copycats in the history of entertainment. The pictures speak for themselves.
- "Elasticity? Gaga's the one with the broken hip."
LOL This is true.
- Celine, Barbra, Rihanna, Beyonce, even poor old Britney have all sold more than Gaga. Her time is over and she didn't make it to the best sellers list. Time to dry your little monster tears and face it, she was fun while she lasted but she went too diva too soon. She doesn't have the staying power of a Cher or even Dolly.
- Trolldar R98 and this thread lights up like a Christmas tree.
Seek help, dear.
- r101 = In denial.
- [quote]Celine, Barbra, Rihanna, Beyonce, even poor old Britney have all sold more than Gaga.
r100 = Uneducated trailer trash fag.
When did Britney start out? When did Barbra start out? Moron.
Lady Gaga has achieved more at age 27 than Madonna did at age 27. Lady Gaga wins.
- Oh look. R98 has learned how to clear out her cookies. If she learns how to clear out her crusty old mussy next she might get asked to the prom!
- BUT R103, will Gaga achieve as much as Madonna has by age 54? Unlikely, but nice try. Gaga has also had a nice easy template to copy from in my and many others opinion.
[quote]will Gaga achieve as much as Madonna has by age 54?
YES!!! Plenty more, even!!!
[quote]Unlikely, but nice try.
LOL! You're just saying that because you don't have any arguments. ROFL. Fucking idiot. At age 54 Lagy Gaga will have achieved 1000 times what Madonna achieved by age 54.
[quote]Gaga has also had a nice easy template to copy from in my and many others opinion.
So did Madonna. Madonna was never original. She stole everything from everyone. Madonna is one of the biggest copycats ever.
- Madonna copying Marlene Dietrich:
- Madonna copying Karl Lagerfeld:
- LMFAO!!! Madonna has ZERO originality. LOL.
- Yellow, yellow, yellow...
- You say Madonna has copied others, but Gaga has copied Madonna. A copy of a copy of a copy. Gaga is so not the most famous woman in the world. Lets see what this next album is all about dear, maybe that will put it into perspective for you. I don't dislike Gaga at all, but she is not Madonna.
- r111 [quote]Gaga has copied Madonna
Lady Gaga doesn't need to copy Madonna. Madonna is beneath her.
[quote]I don't dislike Gaga at all, but she is not Madonna.
You've got that right. Madonna is a cheap copycat. Lady Gaga is queen of pop. She is the reigning ruler of music. She has dethroned that talentless old street walker trash.
Lady Gaga is the meryl streep of music. She has a sensational singing voice.
- Madonna is merely Marilyn Monroe tribute artist:
- The pictures speak for themselves.
- Madonna must have some sort of identity disorder. LOL.
- Holy fuck, R114!
You mean to tell me that the Material Girl video is based on Marilyn Monroe's Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend?
I'd have never known that!
- r116 Everything Madonna ever did is based on something someone else did.
- Madonna wants to be everyone but herself. She's weak and insecure.
- It is all so... yellow
- Lady Gaga? I think I remember her. Had a hit or 2 a few years back, right?
My mom loves Madonna! Or used to. She's gone deaf in her old age...
- Queen of POP.
- Lady Gaga, the queen of pop, is amazing singing live.
- The entire planet loves the Meryl Streep of music:
- W&W r16
- Lady Gaga is a future Oscar winner for sure.
- The world's most famous woman is undoubtedly Queen Elizabeth. Michelle Obama and possibly Hillary Clinton are more famous than Lady Gaga.
I wouldn't recognize Lady Gaga if she were standing next to me.
Young Chinese girls are not much of an indication. I wonder whether their parents know who she is, or their grandparents.
- Lady Gaga is the most famous woman in the world.
- Liz II, Hilary and Michelle are all definitely more famous. I think of Adele as being more famous. Andelina Jolie would be more famous too.
Lady GaGa is very well know by people within a certain age bracket, but barely known otherwise.
- Oops I meant r116 in post r124
- R80, to say "Gaga wins" on that basis, you will actually have to see where Gaga is in the year 2040 when she's 54, how her career worked out over those years and whether anyone is still talking about her to the extent people talk about Madonna today.
But, sure, Madonna had to do things like go to New York from industrial Detroit, fend for herself and work on the scene for a bit so it took a bit longer, she didn't have a privileged New York background where her parents could send her to the poshest private schools and help her get into art school.
- r130 [quote]to the extent people talk about Madonna today
These days people only laugh at Madonna. Because she's pathetic. She tries too hard at staying relevant. She is reductive. She refuses to age gracefully.
- [quote]Everything Madonna ever did is based on something someone else did.
You can say THAT again!
- Madonna is far better than Lady Gaga, it goes without saying. There is no comparison actually. Madonna is the miracle of pop music. She is very contagious in a creative way though.
My grandmother doesn't know either Lady Gaga or Angelina Jolie but she knows Madonna.
- R132, but didn't Janet "borrow" that look from her brother?
- Is there any way we could persuade the webbie to hand over the 18 bucks from each paying contributor to this thread to get the gaga Gaga troll the help she so desperately needs? It's not funny anymore, gurl is in danger (of a 72 hour hold order).
- Lady gaga is done.
- Mother Theresa and the Fucking Queen of England
- R110= Coldplay
- R134, I know the answer to this!
This was all Paula Abdul's style. The clothes, dancing, and the rest. That era was arguably the only thing that keeps me from hating Paula! I'm sure that era is the only reason Simon Cowell repeatedly hired Paula, too.
Shame that no one ever remembers to credit her, though, it was genius!
- To answer your question R134: No, Janet's all-black military look was not borrowed from the English royal court look her brother sported in the '80s.
As for you, R139, well, FAIL. Paula Adbul chroeographed three video from Janet's CONTROL album. The RHYTHM NATION choreography and concept was born from Janet's collaboration with Los Angeles break dancers Anthony Thomas and Terry Bixler.
- R134 You're right, love Paula, straight up
- Madonna has been the world most famous woman in the world since 1985.Case closed !
Gaga's last album sold 1,5 millions only. She struggles to sell out 500 seats night clubs for her new tour.
Few month ago She even posted a link allowing her fans to play for 6 hours in a row her song "applause "in a desperate attempt to reach N°1 at billboard before K.Perry lol ! She faked a hip injury to cancel The US leg of her flopped BTW tour because of poor tickets sales.She's currently trying to test every song form her last flopped album to look for a new "bad romance", she talks about compassion in a fur coat, she runs a youth foundation and sing with a child molestor. Her "lady gaga and the Muppet spectacular" TV stupid show had one of the worst rating ever and now she even has a video game named flappy gaganas (it means :floppy gaga)! Can anyone be more pathetic ? seriously such a fast decline is impressive. And she deserves it. bitch can't sing and can't even dance !
- ...and she is just not attractive.