- Nobody ever knows how to link through Google Image Search.\
Here, for R1:
- 30 St Mary Ax aka the Gherkin aka London''s Dong
The Voice of the Night
- i actually like R2''s pic!
here, i said it!
- Yes, anything/everything by Gehry; and I''d add anything by Daniel Libeskind as well.
- Is that Libeskind picture real or Photoshop?\
It is currently just a hole in the ground, but if they ever manage to build the Chicago Spire, aka Chicago''s Dong, we might have a new winner.
The Voice of the Night
- R6: It''s a presentation rendering of an unexecuted (I hope) design. It looks like the drunken soap bar whittling of a prisoner or a sailor too long at sea, dreaming of the next Chinese turn at hosting the Olympics.
- I actually like OP''s casino building but only because it''s a casino and that''s precisely what the design suggests -- like a gushing oil well of easy riches.
- Geary, with all the meringue he puts on buildings, can''t compare with the elegant lines of pervious eras.
- the miniskirt and the underpants
- Londons Mittel Orbit Structure:
Nothing else even comes close........
- This Gwathmey Siegel architectural abomination, finished circa 2005, litters NYC's Astor Place and does *shame* to the gracious 19th-century Cooper Union building across the street.
- R11, I'm afraid you're wrong.
- I'm with r11; that is bloody awful.
- The new DeYoung Museum of Art in San Francisco looks like a post-nuclear bunker out of Mad Max. You can't see it in the picture, but the tower is actually twisted and skewed, and is an OFFENSE TO THE EYE in person.
- this one is on my street and I like it!
- R16, that's *hideous*. You win. (And thanks for reminding me that Liebeskind is the single WORST major architect to emerge during the past 20 years.)
- Sorry boys, but at least your abominations have interesting, creative shapes.
This pile of architectural vomit was finally demolished last year.
- Didn't somebody on DL post a story about the Ryugyong Hotel in Pyongyang, North Korea? That thing is hideous.
- wow, that is like something out of a horror movie about an evil empire!
- R18, I really don't think that building is that bad. It's pretty standard '60s architecture.
- Definitely a contender.
- I can't find a photo of it, but how about Fort Book on the campus of the University of Toronto. A monstrosity that'll last for 1,000 years.
- oh, that's pretty gross, R22 - where is it?
- Is this it, R23? It is ugly.
- [R21] I agree. Here is an article on the demise of the hotel.
- subway token
- OMG, R27. Where is that monstrosity? Can you imagine looking out your window and seeing that on a daily basis?
- Deutsches Historisches Museum (I.M. Pei | 2003)
- not a fan at all of this one
- I think that Tac Jar Hotel, when it was blue in the 1950s, looked kinda nice. Nobody has topped the Mittal Tower in London yet.
- This monstrosity in downtown Pixburgh. It's so big and ugly it's almost impossible to get it in one photo and show any detail.
- I wish everyone would post the locations.
- R33, the one I posted, R32, is the PPG (Pittsburgh Plate Glass) Place in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Greater Columbus Convention Center
- Wow, R35. That is phenomenally ugly. That is where ugly goes to whoop it up.
- The Harold Washington Library is so grotesque and insane that I actually like it.
- This one doesn't need to worry about an earthquake.
- Whatever is holding up Madonna's face.
- R38, that feels a little Bilbao Guggenheim (which I don't think is ugly, but here it is anyway).
- R19 Why does Pyongyang need such a large hotel? I can't imagine they get too many visitors.
- R39 So funny I forgot to laugh.
- R38, I rather like that one.
- R43, I kind of like it, too.
- If you like R38 you have no taste.
- Don't try to apply logic to North Korea, R41.
- That monstrous hotel in Pyongyang has frequently been called "The Mordor Hilton".
- I hate to say it, but the new Dallas Science and Nature Museum is fucking ugly. Every time we went by it, we thought it was just under construction. No, it's really this ugly.
- Let me try that again.
- I actually like the design of the Perot Museum, R48. It's the Winspear Opera House that is the new(ish) monstrosity in Dallas.
- Believe it or not, this is a high school. Your tax dollars at work!
- While I don't love the outside of the Winspear, the inside is beautiful.
- The DeYoung is amazingly bad, how did that design get approved. The old Mission-style building in it's original state was much better. SF is stuck with that DeYoung until the next big one which one can hope will do enough damage to it so there's an excuse to demolish it.
- The Freedom Tower is pretty heinous.
- The Caltrans District 7 Headquarters in Los Angeles. Ugly gun-metal gray behemoth, nicknamed "The Death Star" by locals.
- The sprawling $250 million Our Lady of the Angels Cathedral in Los Angeles, nicknamed "Taj Mahony" or "Rog Mahal" after Archbishop Roger Mahony.
- Heh heh, R51, I also have a "Death Star" nearby, it's the Social Sciences building on the U.C. Davis campus.
The inside is worse.
- R51, where is that high school located?
- R58, the school in R51 is the Ramon C. Cortines School of Visual & Performing Arts in Los Angeles, directly across the 101 Fwy from cathedral in R56.
- This one takes the cake. It discragraces the entire Muslim world with it's hideous cheesy immitation of Big Ben with more cheesy cartoonish arabic written on it, is made out of material that will look like crap in 20 years, and could not look more out of place with it's surroundings than any structure on Earth.