- Newman and James Dean screen test.
Pan T. Moiste
- Whoa! Damn that was hot.\
And surprising that they''d be that open in front of the camera at a screen test.\
They seemed really hot for each other.
- Yum, the man was so hot
- He must have been around forty in the OP''s picture, his hair is grayish and he''s got a few lines here and there - both of which made him hotter than when he was young. The gray hair he had for most of his career looked better on him than his original light brown, it brought out his brilliant eyes and perpetual tan. Oh, he was hotter at fifty than he was at twenty-five, and without any plastic surgery either!%0D\
And how tall was James Dean? Newman was only about 5''7", but he towers over Dean.
- Yeah surprising how much smaller Dean was. Hollywood magic. Newman NEVER photographed how slight he really was.
- I think Ryan Phillippe is his secret love child with a full lipped Russian woman.
- did he enjoy sex with Dean, or did Jimmy ask him to stub out cigarettes on him?
- James Dean was maybe about 5''7" tops. In Giant he looks like a tiny little midget person next to Rock Hudson.%0D\
Paul Newman was maybe 5''9"
- I had that photo on my computer at work for the longest time. While most of the people loved it, we had one 20-something year old twink who had absolutely no idea who it was, even when I named most of Newman''s most famous movies. It made me feel so old.
- Look at the clip from "The Long Hot Summer." You don''t need to watch the whole thing (although you should); the shirtless scene is at the beginning.%0D\
No actor today comes close to him in looks or in magnetism.
- Matthew McCounaghey(sp?) almost did around "A Time to Kill"
- Brad Pitt did for many years. To many he no longer does, but I actually find Brad Pitt to be sexier now (except for that awful Billy Goat beard)than he was at the height of his beauty.
- you have no taste r13
- Newman looks kind of bland to me. If you saw him on the street and he hadn''t been famous, that face would not have stood out in any way.\
I just do not get where this "beauty" is.
- Good lord, R11, are you trying to make me have a heart attack! I use to think Brando was hotter than Newman at his prime, but after looking at that clip, my opinion has now changed! Talk about sheer male perfection.\
You''re right: Not a single male actor today compares to Paul Newman at his prime.
- [quote]Newman looks kind of bland to me. If you saw him on the street and he hadn''t been famous, that face would not have stood out in any way.\
Dude, you have to be kidding.
- "Oh, he was hotter at fifty than he was at twenty-five, and without any plastic surgery either!"%0D\
His nose job is common knowledge.
- When are people on DL going to realize that not everyone, no matter how erotic to millions, appeals to everyone. You would think that gay people who should understand what its like to be in the minority when it comes to sexual attraction, would understand that just because people share a sexual preference for a gender, doesn't mean that they share a sexual yen for a particular person.
Personally, I think Paul Newman is justifiably uber-eroticized. But that doesn't mean I would jump to the conclusion that anyone who didn't find him erotic was joking.
Now back to this screen test. Jesus, was that hot. Not that surprising that Dean, who exemplified maverick, would be afraid to ask Newman to kiss him. Somewhat surprising that Paul would answer "can't here" but then again I'm sure Paul was functioning in a Hollywood where it was known that such "private" candor would be protected from public consumption. Its a different world now.
I was skeptical clicking on to that link, but its very clear that these two men were extremely turned on by each other.
- [quote]"Personally, I think Paul Newman is justifiably uber-eroticized."\
[bold] MARY! [/bold]\
Don''t come in here trying to be pretentious, unless you have your umlauts handy, Miss R19.
- R19 is a trip. Thinking he has it all figured out. \
And, R15, it''s in his eyes. Start there. Those blue eyes are killer. And you may find yourself unable to look away.
- I don''t think he ever had a true peak. You watch any of his movies for 10 minutes and you''re convinced you''re watching him at his peak. \
He kept it together into his 70''s too, and that''s an amazing feat considering the smoking and the drinking.
- No man over 40 can be "at the height of his beauty."\
But I wish you luck with your tragic self-delusion, Gramps.
- r24, many men look their best b/w 35-45. That is common knowledge.
- Cary Grant looked better in his 50''s than he did in his 30''s, that''s just a fact.
- [quote]you''re convinced you''re watching him at his peak. \
Newman was very good at sticking to age appropriate roles, a lesson many of toady''s stars should learn.\
And yes, I''m talking to you. Mr. Cruise.
- now, THIS pic is hot!
- I bet that [r24] is only in his twenties and already looks like shit
- He must have had very good genes. He liked his beer, but never looked bloated or paunchy. And he did take good care of himself.%0D
Looking at pictures of him as he aged, it's obvious he never had plastic surgery. Considering everything that is known about him, I doubt seriously that he ever had a "nose job." %0D
Richard Burton commented on Newman in his diary:%0D
"At one time Paul Newman came in. Paul is what I call a real actor. A nice man, extraordinarily youthful looking with a complexion so peaches and cream that at first I thought he had makeup on. Every move he makes is like one practicing--with no need to look anymore--in a mirror. I don't mean that unkindly. He doesn't even know he's doing it. He is a keep-fit fanatic and my God the results are remarkable. He must be at least my age and yet with a little care around the eyes and a dye-job on the hair he could still pass for 24 or so. I would hate to look like him. I did once before acne re-mapped my face and I hated it. I abhor mere prettiness."
He was the ideal man. His looks of course. But it was also his voice, his sense of humor, his caring and philanthropy, his politics. All of it. No one matches him.
- "Cary Grant looked better in his 50''s than he did in his 30''s, that''s just a fact."%0D\
Cary did keep his looks a long time. There is a scene in An Affair To Remember where he wears a bathing suit and his body looks great. He would have been about 53 at the time!%0D\
"But it was also his voice, his sense of humor, his caring and philanthropy, his politics."%0D\
Agreed. In addition to being super hot he was also proudly liberal and pro-gay.
- Add Sean Connery to the list of men who were better looking as they aged. The Sean Connery of The Man Who Would Be King makes the Sean Connery of Dr. No look like a punk. Although to be fair he did go through an ugly phase for a few years in between.
- MMMMMMMMM Daddy.
- R15 is Helen Keller.
- I''ve always admired and have been attracted to older men (I''m early 30''s). With that said, I think that he was sort of ugly in his early years but seemed to blossom later in life. IMHO, Paul was hot looking up until his death in his 80''s.
- R15 I did meet him in CT one Sunday morning in the mid-1980s. I wasn''t a fan before that but I was a fan after. He was otherworldly. I was next to him and he looked at me, smiled and politely nodded.%0D\
He was not some regular schmo actor. I know what "star quality" is and that man had it. It was more than just his eyes, or his face.
- I agree that not everybody has the same taste. What appeals to some - does nothing for others.\
But to make the comment that if you saw him on the street you''d never really notice him is patently absurd. The eyes alone would make him stand out.
- He was magnificent. No other adjective can describe his beauty.
- "They seemed really hot for each other."%0D\
Oh, please! They were obviously both nervous and were joking to ease the tension. %0D\
Dean was bi. Newman was straight. %0D\
- Did people understand the removed subtext of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof at the time the picture was released? What did they think had Brick so fucked up?
- Why they 'killed' the other Paul Newman thread?
- Talk about erotic, wow. Why can't men as hot as that make romantic gay movies? (I understand the politics of why they don't - but let's get beyond that already, and that there are few men as hot as that.... but still) I'm sure neither of them thought that would ever be shown outside the studio!!!!
- Anyway i had sent four photos of Paul that i personally adore, i'm going to resend them in this thread this time because someone ''killed' the other one.
- Paul at his most beautiful
- Paul at his most beautiful again
- Newman had intelligence and compassion behind those eyes. Others may come close to his handsome but none of them compare to the man.
- Gorgeous Paul with sweet and kind Joan
- R47 i totally agree with your point of view.
- R48? My name is Joanne, bitch.
- Lol, i know Joanne it was a speed error sweetie, don't get pissed off. Love you!!!!!!
- So, was Paul gay or bi? That video of his screen test with James Deen shows a clear sexual chemistry between the two, and we all know that James was reportedly bi.
- R52 there are rumors that want Paul to be bisexual. Some of these rumors want him to have slept with Robert Wagner, i don't know if they are true or not though, how could i know...?
- I agree with you R13.
I Love Brad
- There are also rumors that want him to have slept with the writer Gore Vidal.
Below there is a photo of Paul from the movie
''The Left Handed Gun''. This movie's script was an adaptation of a teleplay written by Gore Vidal.
- I was just watching this vid yesterday. He was around 34 here, and so beautiful. Someone correctly commented that it looked like Daly wanted to jump him.
- Watch My Line, nice R56.
Joanne is watching Paul...
- Paul and the love of his life Joanne Woodward
- [quote]I agree that not everybody has the same taste. What appeals to some - does nothing for others.
[quote]But to make the comment that if you saw him on the street you'd never really notice him is patently absurd. The eyes alone would make him stand out.
You contradicted yourself. If one doesn't find certain features attractive, one is less likely to give notice, regardless of how amazing the features may appear to somebody else. Not "really" noticing Newman due to his eyes is not "patently absurd". I don't find blue eyes attractive, and don't focus on people who have them. That would have likely applied if I had seen Newman on the street.
Paul and two puppies on his lap
- Look at that bicep. He was always in good shape but I never knew that he worked out.
- Small story.
Woman in her 50's lives in small town in Connecticut. It's a hot summer day and she is doing some shopping in the little shops, when she decides to have an ice cream cone.
She enters the ice cream shop, which is empty of customers except for a man in the very back who is eating a dish of ice cream. She goes up to the counter and orders her ice cream cone. As the shop lady is scooping her ice cream she looks to the back the shop again. And OMG - it's Paul Newman. She is trying very hard to remain cool, not shriek, he slightly nods and smiles at her.
Still telling herself over and over again that she has to remain cool -she calmly pays for her cone and exits the shop. When she gets to her car she realizes she forgot her cone. She goes back ino the shop and says to the lady, that she forgot her cone.
From the back of the ice cream shop, comes THAt voice, as he chuckles and tells her -"you put in your purse."
Indeed. She had.
- He was a really beautiful man
There was character before his beauty and charm and a certain warmness.
- Until the very end Joanne and Paul stayed as one.
Their marriage worked out and lasted until Paul's final death. Joanne was of course by his side.
Paul was a gentleman. If he ever did something naughty, he always cared not to hurt the people he loved the most and he was very discreet and had the courage to keep his secrets deep inside him without needing to ''get rid of them''.
- Ryan Lochte looks just like him, but w/ none of the charm.
Ok, maybe in the colour of eyes...
- *the eyes...
- I already believed Newman was bi. There was always a homoerotic edge to his acting and the parts he played. He wanted to produce and star in The Front Runner with Tom Cruise. Some of his scenes in Cool Hand Luke, in fact the whole movie, seemed to be geared to the gays.
- R71, yes i believe that strongly too. There was certainly something homoerotic in Paul. You can see it in the posture of his body and in many of his photos. If you asked me i would say with an almost unbeatable conviction, that he was certainly bisexual.
- [quote]Until the very end Joanne and Paul stayed as one. Their marriage worked out and lasted until [bold]Paul's final death[/bold]. Joanne was of course by his side.
Are you saying he died more than once? I've never heard that before.
- Paul reached death more than once with his illness, that's why i wrote that sugar R73.
- He came close to death, or he was pronounced clinically dead, R74? I was upset enough by his death that I never read any accounts of the end so this is news to me.
Please don't call me sugar, Flo.
- I would agree with that r12, but he certainly has not aged like Newman.
- R75...you are impossible but i guess you already know that. Lol!
Can you relax and be less tight and superficial? Jesus!
I think i've made my point pretty clear, stop ridiculing everything you see written.
Why i shouldn't call you sugar? Are you bitter?
- [quote]I would hate to look like him. I did once before acne re-mapped my face and I hated it. I abhor mere prettiness.
Poor Richard Burton, quoted at R30. The grapes were especially sour that year.
He never looked as good as Paul Newman, not even before his face got pitted. Burton was a fine-looking man when he was younger, but Newman was always better looking because he looked like he had a well developed sense of humor and his face was simply more interesting.
They were both drunks and Newman smoked (don't know about Burton but I assume he did too). Newman seems to have spent a lot of time in the sun, but for some reason none of that damaged him the way alcohol ravaged Burton. Burton was a miserable unhappy man and I haven't ever heard anyone say that about Newman.
- Burton realized he'd compromised his career after he left his wife Sybil and went Hollywood. His career deserved a better trajectory. Burton ended up a spendthrift alcoholic with everyone living off of him. His was a rather sad slide of epic proportions. In a life of material splendor, his artistic growth stunted, and the Welsh guilt over his own soul pushed him further into the bottle.
Newman with first wife Jackie Witte and their young son Scott in 1955. Scott tragically died of a drug overdose in 1978. Newman started the Scott Newman Foundation to help others recover from drug addiction.
Behind those blue eyes...and funny sunglasses
Joanne Woodward: “Being married to Paul is being married to the most considerate, romantic man.”
“He has good character, and not many people do. I think he would rather not do anything wrong, whether on a moral or an artistic level. He is what you call a man of conscious- not necessarily of judgement, but of conscious. I don’t know any other actors like that.”
-Gore Vidal on Paul Newman
Paul Newman's letter to his wife on their wedding day...
“Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens. A good marriage must be created. In the Art of Marriage, the little things are the big things. It is never being too old to hold hands. It is remembering to say ‘I love you’ at least once a day. It is never going to sleep angry. It is at no time taking the other for granted; the courtship should not end with the honeymoon; it should continue through all the years. It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives. It is standing together facing the world. It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family. It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy. It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways. It is not expecting the husband to wear a halo or the wife to have the wings of an angel. It is not looking for perfection in each other. It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humor. It is having the capacity to forgive and forget. It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow. It is finding rooms for things of the spirit. It is a common search for the good and the beautiful. It is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal, dependence is mutual and obligation is reciprocal. It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.”
- Paul and Joanne set a marriage benchmark in a number of ways.
1. They lasted when most Hollywood couples don't.
2. They lasted for 50 years. (Which is remarkable, because nowadays only five percent of couples make it to that anniversary.)
The pair's marriage lasted 50 years but began as an adulterous affair. But Newman wasn't cheating so much as he was recognizing that he'd found his ideal partner.The divorce from his first wife Jackie Witte went through, but it remained one of the strangest things about Paul's entire life. He danced gingerly around questions about his time with Jackie: 'I was probably too immature to make a success of my first marriage,' was all he would say. When pressed, he replied: 'What happened to us during that period is nobody's business.'
He did, however, confess to one emotion. 'Guilty as hell' was how he described himself about his first marriage, adding: 'And I'll carry it with me for the rest of my life.'
- Paul was hot! Nice sixpack.
- Paul was a beautiful human being
Paul with his wife and Robert Wagner
- is it true Paul fucked James Dean?
- R89, there are rumors but only Paul and James know for sure.
- R77, you didn't make your point clearly at all; that's why I was asking. I wasn't making fun of you or anyone else.
Never mind, I googled and got the answers.
I asked you not to call me sugar because it's both vulgar and a put-down. Well, unless you're chomping a couple of sticks of gum and you're a red-headed waitress in a diner.
- R91...you frustrate me so with your lack of tenderness and kindness. I should put you on ignore immediately, because i feel that you are a creepy and a nerdy jerk. In other words, you behave like a big swollen asshole.
If you think that calling someone sugar is vulgar, then you are vulgar yourself and nobody needs you if you are like that. At least not a woman in her right mind.
- r84 brought a tiny tear to my eye.
- Paul with Clint Eastwood, yes that photo!
- Paul Newman's senior picture in 1943 at Shaker Heights High School.
He is 18 years old in this photo and he looks so much younger!
- That's a hot pic at R94. I think Clint was probably the top.
- Did he and Redford ever make wild passionate man love?
- R97 hehe...you are sweet.
I personally don't know the answer of your question.
- A gayish photo of Paul with Robert Redford
- That link R2 posted broke my computer. When I clicked on it all the color went away. Virus alert!
- I LOVE YOU STUPID CLUELESS TWINK, TAKE CARE!!!!!!!
- His son Scott was beautiful. What a waste.
- Oh, this is Paul's son?
The one who died? What a pity, indeed.
- Paul with Frank Sinatra
- Sugary Newman.
- Beautiful and as nice as a human being can be.
Nobody has a flawless character but Paul tried not to hurt others much.
- Paul with his daughter Susan
- Am I imagining the subtext in "Harper", or was it just Paul's sexuality/real chemistry with men bleeding over into the work?
- TCM queen, some others too have detected homosexual subtext in 'Harper', however i didn't view it. Maybe Paul and Robert Wagner had something intensely bisexual in them (personally, i think that both Paul and Wagner was very bisexual-looking, in general) and they made some people thought about it in the movie. Nonetheless, 'Harper' as a movie is not homoerotic at all.
- Paul Newman and Robert Wagner in a car together for the movie 'Harper'...
- Guys, you two were terrific together. Bravo.
- In Darwin Porter's book on Newman he cliams they had an affair and Newman was bi and when he first came to hollywood, he had many affiars with both men and woman.
- James Dean says "kiss me" Paul newman says "can't here" lol
- He was like a kid too. Look at him!
- Paul had charm and beauty and i have reasons to believe that he was a truly good person. It's rare to see male actors so beautiful, sweet, humorous and tender like Paul.
He made some mistakes with his first marriage, but everyone makes fucking mistakes and Paul did so many good things in his life!
- Puppy face
- A big kid
- With Anthony Perkins!
- Paul was awesome. You know that!
- To know him is to love him
- He fell for Joanne
- I think that Paul with Joanne opened up many cool and positive sides of himself
- In that pic with Robert Newman and Joanne, him and Robert both have that 'we just fucked' guilty look. Joanne looked so much older than him.
- I love that Paul Newman and Gore Vidal were super-close bosom buddies all of their adult lives.
- Vidal & Newman did this same pose with Woodward many times throughout their lives.
- R128 supposedly Joanne had a romantic affair with Vidal and not Newman. Have you got anything to say on this?
- Paul as a father
- r128 you fail at posting links.
- CBS This Morning Saturday had a long clip of Paul and Joanne very early in their marriage. He was stunningly gorgeous and looked like a model.
He also came across as bi.
No link as I couldn't find one.
- I wonder how he and Brandon got along on off and on the Hud set?
- R134, sorry, personally i don't know the answer of your question
Below there is a gorgeous photo of Paul
- On set...
- During read-throughs of The Long, Hot Summer (1958)
- Paul in dark
- His beauty peaked at about 17, same as yours OP.
- Paul & Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
- Paul’s Navy portrait pt. 3.
- Paul and Scott Newman
- with Joanne and four of his six children
- Paul Newman at the Actors Studio in New York City circa 1950s
- A photograph of film stars Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward features on the poster for this year's Cannes Film Festival. Organisers said they chose the image, taken during the filming of 1963 movie, A New Kind of Love, to pay tribute to Newman, who died in 2008. The festival runs from 15 - 26 May.
- Wow, beautiful photos and posters guys!
- Oh my!
- During read-throughs of The Long, Hot Summer (1958)
- Why he got to drinking?
- Paul Newman photographed at home, 1958.
- Paul Newman photographed by Gene Lesser on the set of Cool Hand Luke
- (When a photo seems cache or forbidden, color the address of the link which is at the top of the page and then press the button ENTER. Then the photo will appear.)
Paul Newman photographed by Roddy McDowall, 1965
- Paul Newman was a class act; smart, sexy, generous and kind. He was committed equally to justice and pranks. He was something you don’t hear mentioned often these days; a good man. —Susan Sarandon
- Aside from being gorgeous and and all around great guy. His mouth/lips are perfect. Damn!!
- Is it true about Newman and the buckets of ice water thing?
- In 1978, Paul Newman's son Scott Newman, who was an aspiring actor in his own right, was found dead in a hotel after overdosing on pills and alcohol. He was 28.
- He has a perfect mouth
- Paul Newman and Barbara Bohnet, Kenyon College, 1947
- Paul Newman, Kenyon Alumnus, visiting campus, with R. Edwin Moore and Richard Taomas
Paul Newman, 1949
- The Interim Committee, 1948, Paul Newman is the second boy on the right
- Dude looks like a lady
- Now what if Paul Newman in that first pic looked like that today and wanted to date Tom Daley? Would would still be up in arms??
- Loool R166!
'From the Terrace' (1960)
- I wonder if...did he swing both ways? I think he did!
- Not that it would make any difference, just wonder...
- Look out or you will awaken the ghost of DAVID EHRENSTEIN.
- Oh, ok...
- The cast of "The Towering Inferno"
- On the set of 'Exodus'
Paul Newman speaks during a democratic television telethon circa 1960’s.
"Ever since “Slapshot” I`ve been swearing more. I knew I had a problem one day when I turned to my daughter and said: `Would you please pass the fucking salt?`." - Paul Newman
Paul Newman take his dogs for a walk in Paris.
- Tres gay
- Very beautiful indeed.
- Those eyes...
- Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, and Faye Dunaway Photo
- With a can of beer on his hand and Joanne Woodward on his side
- The color photograph is from a series
used for a 1968 feature in LIFE MAGAZINE
so NEWMAN would have been 43 at the time.
He was beautiful, wasn't he ?
- Yes KELT, Paul certainly was gorgeous at almost any age!
- 1962 Joanne Woodward & Paul Newman Vintage Press Photo
- 'The Sweet Bird of Youth'
With Geraldine Page
- 1970 Press Photo Actor Anthony Perkins, Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.
- He truly was blessed with a lot: those blue eyes, great skin, handsome face, fine body. His only flaw, if you can call it that, was that he wasn't tall. But who cares? He was so beautiful that it almost hurt to look at him.
- Hands down, one of THE most talented actors of any American generation & definitely among the best-looking, ever.
His roles in "Hud" & "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" were especially amazing, IMO.
- He and Tom Cruise were pretty good friends.
- Redford and Newman eventually became fairly good professional friends, although it could not be said that they were terrible close. For one thing, their temperaments were very different. Although Newman could be quite political in his own way-Joanne was the catalyst in this-he was not quite as committed as Redford, who occasionally found Newman to be rather frivolous.
Paul Newman said that he admires Redford:'He's not been sucked in by fashionable things and he keeps his life to himself, and he's very comfortable in his own skin, i think.'
But he admits that when the two try to have a conversation there are always long pauses because they are both very private people. 'We both look at the floor', said Newman.
On another occasion, Newman said, 'I have known the man for over forty years and i don't know him, not really.'
For his part, Redford said of Newman that he admires the way acting came naturally for Newman when it didn't for him.
When Newman toyed with the idea of filming the gay novel 'The Front Runner', which delineated the affair between a coach and a younger athlete(he dropped in order to do 'Slap Shot'), some people believed the stories that Redford would play Newman's younger lover. It is unlikely Newman approached Redford about the film-although not impossible-primarily because there was a much greater age difference between the characters in 'The Front Runner' than there is between Newman and Redford; the coach is middle-aged and the athlete he falls in love with is in his twenties.
In any case, it is doubtful that Redford who fretted so over his gay/bisexual role in 'Inside Daisy Clover', would have had the courage to even consider playing a part in 'The Front Runner'. Newman certainly lost his courage when he opted for the less controversial 'Slap Shot'.
While Newman and Joanne Woodward seem to be supporters of gay rights, Redford has never stood up for gays in any strong public manner, although he has allowed many gay-themed films to be shown at his Sundance Festival and openly supported them.
(excerpts from the book 'The Sundance Kid: An Unauthorized Biography of Robert Redford')
- Home video of Paul with Natalie Wood and others (including Jane Fonda) at a backyard BBQ in Malibu.
- I think he looked even more gorgeous a deade later when he was fully grey and a had a few more lines. Absence of Malice and The Verdict was when he looked the best. What was he, mid/ late 50s? Impressive. No one has aged better, ever.
I've read that Redford wasn't interested in any participation of THE FRONT RUNNER. Also that Redford claims that he hadn't known the Wade Lewis character in INSIDE DAISY CLOVER was bi-sexual and that he felt tricked when they had edited in dialogue in scenes where he was not to fill in the audience on Wade's true nature. Redford, typically for men and particularly so for that era didn't like being perceived in such a way.
- Joanne Woodward = HOME-WRECKER