- He was considered sex on a stick in his prime. He was also very amusing when he appeared on The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson. He appeared in one or two iconic movies and had a string of box office successes.\
Sad that he fucked himself up with awful plastic surgery and an awful plastic ex-wife.
- "Which one''s the slut?"
- He had a lot of charisma and was very sexy at one time. He lost the sexy and people lost interest.
- Hairy chest in the 1970s. That''s it.
- One of the reasons.
- He savagely beat his first wife, didn''t he? Sampled the gardens of Dinah and Sally. Only made two really good films: Del. and BN. Dated Sofia, but maybe that doesn''t count. Best buds with macho-hetro-pussyhound Dom Deluise. Once got a quick glimpse of Loni Anderson without her wig and some say was never the same again. Rumored to have had AIDS in the 90s only to find out he had TMJ. Likes warm cocoa after mowing the lawn.
Burt Reynolds? Is it Mr. Burt Reynolds troll.
- Lost his mojo when Sally Field became known as a serious actress and he was rumored to be very jealous of her. Wasn''t satisfied with being a bigger box office draw. Was kind of a summer blockbuster guy there for awhile, but his doofy movies weren''t meant to carry him through to his old age. Transitioned pretty successfully there for a while with the sitcom and some character parts. Then imploded again after the Loni marriage ended and he abandoned his son, Quint. Remember when he dressed up like Prince in that purple concoction ??
- Hot, hairy, with meat on his bones in the right places. Not so much now but when he was in his prime, he was really hot.
- Because this was sexy in the 70s...\
- Saw that image of him in 9th grade in a copy of Newsweek in the school library. Will never be the same. I was obsessed. Not so much anymore.
- Was originally offered the Jack Nicholson role in "Terms of Endearment" but turned it down because he promised Hal Needham he''d do another "Cannonball Run".%0D\
Deserved the oscar for "Boogie Nights" as did Julianne Moore.
- Burt did not savagely beat Judy Carne
- Mr. Burt Reynolds would have been superb in Terms of Endearment! Oh, I wish this had happened.
- Saw Lucky Lady recently and his bulge was unbelievable.
- His son Ryan is hotter than Burt ever was.
- Considering the gene pool of Burt Reynolds and Meg Ryan, it would be impossible for Ryan NOT to be hot, R15.
- Damn, you''re a humorless twit, R12. Go buy a new cane.
- His poster got him a lot of deserved attention.
- Sure, let''s make a big joke out of wife beating. [r17], honey, pray that you make it long enough to use a cane ... with that attitude it might be difficult.
- Plus Ryan inherits all that Reynolds Wrap $$$ when Burt dies, because Meg was cut out of the will.
- He wasn't a bad actor and he was sexy at one time. He was always funny and nice on talk shows.%0D
His two best movies were "Deliverance" and "The Longest Yard." He did the Cosmopolitan nude layout around the time of Deliverance and said he probably would have gotten nominated for an Oscar if he hadn't done that.%0D
The Smokey and the Bandit movie was a huge blockbuster but the sequels were garbage. The SATB movies destroyed any credibility he had as an actor.%0D
He has a huge ego; he said in a Playboy interview that his acting was as good, or better, than the acting of Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman and Robert DiNiro. He seemed very jealous of them.%0D
He's another one of those celebrities who has made a ton of money and then loses it all. He declared bankruptcy at one point, but I think his finances are better now.%0D
His time, the seventies, came and went. The Oscar nom was "Boogie Nights" was his last chance for an Oscar (he dearly wanted to win). His face is destroyed by bad plastic surgery. I think he works occasionally but not much.
- On the Datalounge, Burt is gay. (LOL)
- [quote]He''s another one of those celebrities who has made a ton of money and then loses it all. He declared bankruptcy at one point, but I think his finances are better now.\
He didn''t blow his money, he built a live theater and acting school in Jupiter, Florida and gave a lot of work to casts and crew. That''s how he lost it, but it was noble.
- I always fantasized about him when I was younge jerking off. My friends and I, even the straight guys would always comment on his huge dick. Like "he must be as big as Burt Reynolds". we always just assumed he was huge, probably because for the times, he was the masculine ideal.\
I bet he was just average.
- Hey R12, take the stick out of your ass. It''s DL. Why the hell are you here?
- His son is a shorty but hot.
- Wasn''t his first wife the drug-addled Judy Carne?\
Laugh-In''s "Sock it to me" girl?
- I actually love the movie "The End".
- [r25] And you are the boss of ...?
Lucky we''re not in the same room
- Judy Carne was able to put her drug problems behind her and have a great Broadway career.%0D\
She was perfection in "Chess"
- I thought Judy Carne came out as gay after she left Reynolds.
- "I thought Judy Carne came out as gay after she left Reynolds."%0D\
No, she admitted to be being bi, but not gay.
- bi-sexual in the auto-biography
- I eat old people''s excrement that''s why I''M HERE!
- Liza Minnelli had a hot and heavy affair with Burt when they were filming LUCKY LADY. She was married to Jack Haley,jr. at the time. The press though sister Lorna was involved with Burt when in fact it was Liza.
Joey ("I like SunnyD and Ho-Ho''s") Luft
- I thought burt was a fag.
- R30, not only was Carne a smash on Broadway, but her hit, "Bette Davis Eyes" was one of the biggest-selling singles of all times.
- Oh yeah? How?%0D\
Jack Haley, btw, was Liza''s second gay husband. She''s bi, you know.
- R30- Judy Carne was never in CHESS on Broadway. Maybe she did a regional production?%0D\
Her one Broadway credit was the 60''s revival of THE BOY FRIEND with Sandy Duncan and Ron Young.
- bump for burt
- The thing with Judy Carne left Burt and went into a relationship with a woman. It was Errol Flynn''s daughter, Rory.
- Don''t forget Judy has all the money rolling in from inventing chili
- "Liza Minnelli had a hot and heavy affair with Burt"%0D\
No, it appeared they had a hot and heavy affair, but if truth be known, Liza is still a virgin.
- [r34] spare us, please
you''re the epitome of wit and wisdom
I always thought of Burt Reynolds as a big joke because of the car race movies, the posters. My mother and her bridge group friends joked about him, but even to them, I think, he sounded like a celebrity you just joked about, totally past his prime.\
When I caught DELIVERANCE and THE LONGEST YARD on cable, I could see how he rated with the star actors of the 70s, like James Caan. \
He must have missed out on all the cool movies of that era (the EASY RIDER/RAGING BULLS directors) and went for the money, and had to wait to be rediscovered for BOOGIE NIGHTS.
- Watched Smokey and the Bandit again the other day. I can''t believe I never noticed the fucking bulge going down his leg. I think it''s clear he''s cut.%0D\
David CAssidy in The Partridge Family reruns always has a grapefruit in his crotch!%0D\
I can''t believe, as a queen under construction, I never noticed those things when I was younger.
- He was gorgeous.\
- [quote]Don''t forget Judy has all the money rolling in from inventing chili\
Now THAT was funny.
Sock it to me.
- r37, you''re thinking KIM CARNES of the raspy voice.\
She just finished a huge gig in Rome, a Michael Jackson tribute concert that filled a fucking stadium.\
- "I think it''s clear he''s cut."%0D\
R46. Burt Reynolds is uncut.
- He seems to like to slap people. I have the impression he''s a really obnoxious jackass. Check out the vid of him on Carson with that guy who hosted that kid''s game show Double Dare back in the 80''s. He''s an ass.
- Debbie ''Darth'' Reynolds is his father.
- He''s also heir to the Reynolds Wrap Aluminum fortune.
Tin Foil Tales
- What ever happened to his roommate, Ernie ?
- Speaking of James Caan, Burt was desperate to play Sonny in the original Godfather and always felt that losing the role hurt his career as a serious actor. %0D\
At that age he certainly looked more believable as Marlon Brando''s son than Caan.
- He would have looked like Brando''s son. How interesting, thanks for that info. %0D\
I have always thought Reynolds was the epitome of the closeted movie star. He dated Dinah, was married to Judy Carne and Loni Anderson, had a thing with Sally Fields and was best mates with Dom Delouise!
- Burt Reynolds is another of thus country''s insaitable taste for shit.
- Maybe it''s dated by now, but watch "Deliverance" and tell me you can''t see the sexy.
- Burt Reynolds WAS a joke in the 70s. Other than one or two good roles, two good films (how about Starting Over?) he king of the dumb stuff and of fan magazines. Mostly he was a talk show buffoon -- went on constantly with Merv and Johnny complaining about how he only got shitty movies. \
"Burt was desperate to play Sonny in the original Godfather"\
Never heard that one, but since he complained about EVERYTHING he didn''t get, why not.
- r49 is not getting it.
- r51 - I remember how awkward that was. He cut the guy''s tie. Then I read later that kid''s host had major OCD so he probably was dying inside when that happened with Burt.%0D\
- Judy Carne was always a lesbian. her relationship with Burt was a bearding one for both of them.
- Dinah was also a beard...
- I wonder if he broke any of Sally''s bones while fucking her. I mean that was before Boniva.
- he fucked Loni Anderson
- I have a soft spot for "Best Friends" with Goldie Hawn.\
They used to show it on HBO maybe 40 or 50 times a week back in the day, and I think I would watch it every time. (Give me a break, I was eight.)\
Great cast (Jessica Tandy, Audra Lindley, Keenan Wynn) and both Burt and Goldie are really charming in it.\
They also use to show "Semi-Tough" constantly, which isn''t a terrible movie either. And I think it is the first movie I remember seeing boobs in, which made it fascinating to even gay little me.
Binky, the "Lost" Von Trapp
- The funniest part of this thread comes from the link at R23 about his dinner theater. And it%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s the part about Farrah Fawcett:\
[quote]Farrah Fawcett had a rather strange opening night in Butterflies Are Free at the Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater in Jupiter, Florida, on 30 July 1980. An obese lady in the front row of tables began yelling insults at her and making bird calls during the performance. Later, this unidentified lady raised her dress and flashed the performers, causing co-star Dennis Christopher to take notice, although the character he was playing was a blind man. Nearby, a male patron began vomiting, and yet another patron fainted. Incredibly, the reviews for Farrah''s performance were positive.\
The Golden Girls used to always reference going to see ridiculous actors cast in ridiculous roles there. My favorite was Sophia being taken to see Ruth Buzzi in Evita.
- Huh??? Meg Ryan and BURT REYNOLDS had RYAN REYnolds as a kid?!? How did I not know that?%0D\
On his wikipedia page -it only talks about Quinten.
- [quote]He was considered sex on a stick in his prime. He was also very amusing when he appeared on The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson.%0D\
See for yourself . . .
- r60, not getting what? A completely lame attempt at humor.\
So not funny.
- r61: Marc Summers is his name, just looked it up. I tried to find the clip on YT, but didn''t. Summers threw a glass of water in Burt''s face to get him back and play along, and said in an interview that Carson never invited him back on the show because of it.
- Judy Carne was not a lesbian. She swung both ways. She had an affair with her co-star on the tv series "Love On A Rooftop", the delectable Pete Duel. They were both pretty fucked up people, so it''s no wonder they clicked for a brief time. They remained friends, and in her memoir she tells of how Duel beat up a guy who called her a dyke. Carne was a drug addict and was mentally unstable. She got famous as the "sock it to me" girl on "Laugh-In" but it turned out to be a curse; she was never taken seriously as a actress because of it and when she went out in public idiots would try to do things like throw water on her. I guess since she had water and other stuff thrown at her on "Laugh-In" they thought she liked it. %0D\
I''ve never heard ANY gay rumors about Reynolds. In fact, he''s always been a typical Hollywood pussy hound.
- I remember that at the height of BUrt''s early fame he''d often appear unannounced on Dinah Shore''s afternoon talk show. It made him seem like an especially great guy, kind of slumming with the older lady he loved.
- It was once cool to wear the miss much leather -
- At the height of his career the Creep-O-Meter started going off, though. He became menacing, sullen, strange. He had that terrible bout with his jaw (TMJ) which people assumed was a cover for botched facial work plus all the drug rumors. His love life had rumors, too. His finances were in turmoil all the time. His break-up with Anderson was awful. And he became pathetic and finally a plastic surgery freak. Ugh.
- A friend of mine worked at Burt''s dinner theater in Jupiter, Fla and said the cast was amused whenever Burt showed up with his "assistant," a hunky Vietnam vet.\
The closeted macho actor in the book and miniseries CELEBRITY was blatantly based on Burt. Especially in the book. NBC cast Joseph Bottoms in the role, making sure he didn''t physically resemble Reynolds. If they''d cast someone like Joe Penny the link would have been easier to make.\
Sally Field made a crack in an interview with Playboy magazine that she didn''t want her young sons around Burt because of his lifestyle. I think it didn''t take a brain surgeon to figure out what she meant by that.
- [quote]The Golden Girls used to always reference going to see ridiculous actors cast in ridiculous roles there. My favorite was Sophia being taken to see Ruth Buzzi in Evita.\
And Blanche would always refer to the men they''d see as "Mr.".
- ''Sally Field made a crack in an interview with Playboy magazine that she didn''t want her young sons around Burt because of his lifestyle"\
She meant his life of drugs and booze.
- "Judy Carne...had an affair with her co-star on the tv series "Love On A Rooftop", the delectable Pete Duel."\
And very GAY Pete Duel. I say she was a lesbian regardless of which gay guy she slept with.
- "And very GAY Pete Duel. I say she was a lesbian regardless of which gay guy she slept with."%0D\
Pete Duel was not gay. You are so fucked up Liza, that you don''t know what you''re saying. As usual. And your "Liza" fashions suck.
- [quote]The closeted macho actor in the book and miniseries CELEBRITY was blatantly based on Burt. %0D\
Interesting! Read that book in junior high, I remember loving how juicy it was.%0D\
- I think it is hilarious that people say Burt isn''t gay. I think he is an example of hiding in plain site until AIDS struck.
- Has nothing to do with whether Duel was gay, but why did he commit suicide?
- "Judy Carne, Dinah Shore, Sally Field, and Loni Anderson"%0D\
"Best friends Dom Deluise and Charles Nelson Reilly" %0D\
"hyped-up masculinity with leather daddy mustache that would later be replaced by an awful hairpiece "%0D\
"a later appearence on the Golden Girls"%0D\
Classic Hollywood Closet Homosexual.
- He must have been clinically depressed. He was in a decent TV series at the time called Alias Smith and Jones with Ben Murphy. After his death, Henry Fonda sound-alike Roger Smith took over the role.\
I''m laughing at you, R82.
Burt Reynolds is so not gay
- "Has nothing to do with whether Duel was gay, but why did he commit suicide?''%0D\
Despite being young, handsome, talented and successful he was chronically depressed. He was also an alcoholic. The night he killed himself he had fallen off the wagon and was blind drunk. Possibly being drunk was the what pushed him over the edge. He kept a gun and killed himself with a bullet to the head. Bad idea to keep a loaded weapon around when you''re struggling with alcoholism and depression.
- This is why...\
Was named the #1 top money-making star at the box office in Quigley Publications'' annual poll of movie exhibitors for five consecutive years from 1978 - 1982, equaling the record set by Bing Crosby from 1944 - 1948. Only Tom Cruise, who was named #1 six times between 1986 and 2001, has won more box office crowns. Both Clint Eastwood and Tom Hanks also have been #1 five times, but non-consecutively.\
Has been named to Quigley Publications'' annual Top 10 Poll of Money-Making Stars 12 times, tying him for 10th place with Harrison Ford. John Wayne is #1 on the all-time list, with 25 appearances in the Top 10.
- He refused the role Kevin Kline played in Soapdish (1991), with Sally Field, because his then wife, Loni Anderson, told him that the whole Hollywood would laugh at her, as Reynolds and Field once had a very publicised love affair.
- Sally Field doesn''t strike me as the "beard" type. I think the "lifestyle" she was referring to was Reynold''s macho Hollywood posturing and preening. According to her he was also quite the male chauvinist; he liked to keep women in their place, that is, subservient to the male.
- Re: Pete Duel--holy shit, he was adorable. Such a waste and such as sad ending.
- [quote]Deserved the oscar for "Boogie Nights" as did Julianne Moore.%0D\
- In case anyone was wondering, Judy Carne did indeed say that Burt beat her.\
The Library Journal review of her autobiography, which can be found on the book''s Amazon page, reports that "he [Reynods] beat her [Carne], she says."
- For some reason, at first I read R65''s "He fucked Loni Anderson" as "He fucked *Louie* Anderson."
Dom DeLuise, maybe, but Louie Anderson? Doubtful.
- Loni Anderson says he beat her, too.
- Never thought he was hot. He looked ever worse without the moustache.
- My father was a huge Burt Reynolds fan back in the day. He says that Burt was frustrated in his attempts to be taken seriously as an actor, so after a certain point he stopped caring about awards and went for cash instead. In his early years, he resembled a young Marlon Brando.\
His Boogie Nights performance isn''t notable so much for it being dazzling, but for the fact that for the first time in decades, Burt Reynolds didn''t play Burt Reynolds.
- Another young one.
- This thread is TOO FUNNY.
- Burt was kinda hot, sort of talented, made some good movies and some real duds. Saw him recently on an episode of Burn Notice and he looked pretty bad.\
Had crushes on Pete Duel and Ben Murphy (WEHT?) on Alias Smith and Jones and my wee self was devastated when Duel died.
- When the movie Paternity opened in 1981, the movie poster drove many 30-something women crazy.
- He "discovered" Robert Urich....
- He was very funny in Meet Wally Sparks.
- He was gorgeous in that football movie.
- He was always funny on The Tonight Show -
- I still say Burt knows more than he''s telling about the death of that writer during the filming of The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing.%0D\
So does Sarah Miles.
- Supposedly Miles boyfriend/manager had beaten her up and Burt pounded him for it or maybe he just overdosed.
- Reynolds turned down the role that Jack Nicholson played in "Terms of Endearment." The character was not exactly in prime physical condition; Reynolds did not want to play a character whose paunchy midsection would be on display in a love scene, so he turned down the role. Of course Jack Nicholson let his fat belly hang out for all the world to see and won an Oscar. I suppose Reynolds rues the day he passed up a chance to play a character that might have gotten him the Oscar he is so desperate for.
- Thanks for the link r108.%0D\
I wonder who Miss Miles was sleeping with at that time? Since she went to get her birth control pills it sounds like it was Reynolds, since she had spent the night with him.%0D\
I guess the victim''s mom never believed the testimonies from Miles or Reynolds,either.%0D\
- He was fuckin'' hot.%0D\
- Burt was very jealous of Sally''s success. He refused to escort her to the Oscars the night she won for Norma Rae, I believe.