- Don''t post a link, that would be far too much trouble.
- Royalty queens....
- Monarchies are funny.
- thanks OP: all those pics and the funny, witty article that you linked really made my day!
OP is stupid
- Am I the only thinking that the groom pings? Victoria is very simpatica.
- Here''s a link. It''s a Flemish newspaper but it''s only pictures no text.
- getty images link
- Thanks, r4.\
The dress is beautiful and they DO look like they''re madly in love; in one pic, it looks like she''s wiping a tear from his cheek.\
Prince Carl Philip is so un-fucking-believably gorgeous.
- She has Cloris Leachman hands.
- The gown is deadly dull, but the veil and crown are stunning! Seriously, why wear a gown that dire? Does the princess have such a nothing figure that all she has to show off is her neck?\
Check out the royal barge, though (pic 10). I''d marry anything for that.
- i think the groom is hot in a nerdy way!\
oh, and i''m sure these bitches post on DL
- Love the pic of our Queen Beatrix, I think it was #17 on the Flemish link. She''s such a fierce bitch.
- Victoria was the one who had the most pronounced eating disorder. In the last 10 years, anyway. Long thought to be a lez; love seeing her looking healthy.
- The wedding is very beautiful and Victoria''s dress is very elegant. I would have loved to be in that small boat with them.
- I''ll be there in 2 weeks.
- Small weddings are so adorable
HRH Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece
- I''d skip a wedding but go on a honeymoon with her hunky brother.
- [quote]Long thought to be a lez; love seeing her looking healthy.\
Can she even be a lesbian? What would happen if she was one? I don''t think they would let her live her life with a woman, no matter how ''relaxed'' these royals seem to be.
- Oops! I just posted about this in another thread, didn''t even see this one. He pings hard, what''s his story?
- That raises an interesting question, r19. Are there any royals that are openly gay? \
Same-sex marriage is legal in Sweden (other countries with royals that allow same-sex weddings or civil partnerships: UK, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Portugal), so, technically, a prince or princess could marry a person of the same sex in those countries. I don''t see why it would be frowned upon.
- I thought she called off the wedding because he cheated?
- OMG, R12. Looks like a nursing home for drag queens.\
And Rumor Willis might have competition with this Victoria person.
- I thought so too r22. Was it true that he did cheat?
- We just got back from watching the celebrations around town. Victoria looked glorious (the five seconds I got a glimpse of her when she passed in the carriage) and they look madly in love! She thanked the Swedish people "who gave me my Prince". *sniff*\
What has happened to Queen Rania of Jordan? She is always the most stylish of them all, but today she looked like she has escaped from a drag show. \
Horrible hair, horrible tiara, veeeery thin.\
Victoria''s brother Carl-Philip is bisexual. It''s an open secret (lot of gay man in that family), but it is out of the question for him to be open with it. He has had a longtime girlfriend who he broke up with last year and now he is dating a pin-up model.
- R24: Gossip says that Madeleine cheated with Henrik Lundqvist, the NHL player in New York Rangers first. It was after that that her boyfriend was unfaithful with a norwegian model.\
Latest gossip is that Jonas Bergkvist has made a colleague pregnant and that was what finally destroyed his relationship with princess Madeleine.
- Ah so the whole cheating thing wasn''t with Princess Victoria then.
- R27: No, Victoria and Daniel seem to have been faithful and madly in love for eight years now.
- Streaming, with incredibly in depth analysis
- I love her wedding dress. Very classic.\
He seems like a Clark Kent.
- Where is there any info on Victoria being a lez? I''ve googled it and not coming up with anything.
- R31: No lez rumours around Victoria or Madeleine.
King Juan Carlos of Spain just had surgery to remove a lump located in the lung. He is ok, but I think the doctors told him not to travel. Also, the Spanish Royal House usually sends the Crown Couple to those events, not usually the king (even though the Queen did attend the wedding). Another version (which is very true) is that he cannot stand Letizia at all, and they practically have no communication between them.\
Also, a Spanish newspaper (El Mundo) once hinted that Letizia might have an eating disorder and were harshly censured by the Spanish royal house to the point that no news media would dare to hint at that again. There is a lot of censorship in Spain regarding their royal family.
- R33: any gossip about the state of prince Philippe''s and Letizia''s wedding? There has never been any chemistry between them and they don''t look happy together at all.
There is really no chemistry and it has a lot to do with the personality of Letizia versus that of Felipe. Felipe is a very mellow guy and Letizia is very dominating and egocentric. (By the way, I follow closely Spaniard news particularly that of the Royal Family, and what I just said is what everyone in Spain is noticing.) Another point is that Felipe after his marriage has distance himself from his own family (his two sisters in particular) and the rest of the other Royal Family. You will see that both Felipe and Leticia stayed together during the whole ceremony while the other Royal couples mingle amongst themselves.
Letizia is trying to consolidate her presence in Spain (since the monarchy is NOT secure since a lot of people are Republicans or Juancarlistas ei. Like King Juan Carlos but not Felipe), and by doing that she coming out as someone who is very insecure and controlling.
Also, Felipe and Letizia are starting to have vacations separated (She alone in Switzerland and Portugal, while Felipe is... who knows where).
- Why is it only Fags and Fraus are obsessed with royalty?
Straight guys who don''t give a shit
- R35: Thanks for the excellent gossip! I thought that Felipe looked much happier when he was with his ex girlfriend, Eva Sannum. They were a great couple and he looked genuinely happy when he was with her. I feel sorry for him that he ended up with that anorectic sour-puss Letizia.
and yet you posted on the thread.
- You people are confusing pinging with a severe case of Euroface.
Yes, he was very happy with Eva but his parents didn''t like her because she was a lingerie model.\
Rumors has it that the King didn''t like Letizia (still doesn''t) but Felipe said he would renounced his rights as crown prince if he wasn''t allowed to marry Letizia.
- What is the royal line for the Spanish royal family? How far back and all that?
- Is Letizia popular in Spain? \
Everytime I think of the Spanish Royal family I remember that line from Ab Fab: "Aren''t they the ones that look like potatoes?"
1700 according to Wikipedia with overthrows and restorations.
She is adored by the media (she is an ex journalist) but not well liked by the people. She is very close to the news media conglomerate because she knows first hand the power they hold.
- My partner and I had crowns fashioned for our commitment ceremony. It was romantic to place a crown on each other''s head. Our little dog, Jacqueline, had a crown of her own as well.
- Barbara Cook could be a stand-in for Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.
- Crown Prince Frederik is another hot royal. I''d like to be a sandwich between Prince Carl Philip and C.P. Frederik.
- What the hell happened to Prince Albert? He''s become fat and fugly now.\
Prince Joakim of Denmark is not bad looking either.
- Ugh.. Gross!
- I think the Swedish royal family is very attractive. \
I would love more Letizia dirt. I think she''s hot I had no idea she was bitchy.
- Prince Carl was Crown Prince until they decided to change the laws and allow first born women to become Queen. You think since the law was already in place when he was born they would have waited for the next round of children instead of letting Karen Carpenter become Queen.
- Victoria is far more beautiful than Madeleine, despite the jaw (which is smaller in real life - the pics do her real life face no justice).\
She has finer features, is more regal looking, and today, she was simply radiant. She looked stunning.\
She is also a warm and friendly person, unlike Maddy, who overdressed for the wedding -- attention seeker that she is. \
Btw, r39 completely nailed it. There''s nothing remotely gay about the hubby. Only Americans would think he pinged.\
The hotter royal, imo, is Crown Prince Haakon of Norway.
- Here''s a link that explains who everyone is in English.
- r51 that happened when Carl Phillip was a year old or so. It''s not as if he''d been expecting it and they took it away from him. Sweden is very into gender equality, they wanted to banish the old semi-Salic style of succession where the males inherited first regardless of birth order. \
The Swedish bishops threw a fit last month when Victoria announced that she wanted her father (the King) to give her away in church - Swedish couples traditionally walk down the wedding aisle together and have disdained the Anglo-American style of a father "giving the bride away". They said it was "not Swedish" and devalued gender equality! The compromise was that Victoria and her father met the groom halfay up the aisle, and they continued on together.
- I also loved the wedding gown. It was elegant, and not dull. Beautiful ivory colour, too.
- Queen Beatrix looks like the Quacker Factory Lady on QVC.
- He''s not William and she''s not Kate. Wake me up when a couple worth gushing over gets married.
- Since Victoria has suffered through eating disorders throughout her life, is she capable of carrying a baby (heir or heiress to the throne) to full term?
- R53 Thank you for that link. And thanks R 41 for the link regarding King Carlos. So - he is loosly a Capet - which go as far back as the 11th century -even further I think - in France.\
I love the photos of Victoria. I love what she wore in all the photos. That girl has Grace Kelly style. I hope we see more of her. \
I think England changed their rule for who inherits the title too. If William has a girl born first, she will become Queen.
- So did ABBA get over themselves and show up?
- The UK hasn''t changed its succession laws yet, boys still get the throne 1st. however if William''s 1st-born is a girl I believe they may change that law (and the horrible one on the books that bans any Roman Catholics or any heirs married to Roman Catholics from inheriting as well). \
alas ABBA didn''t show but Bjorn & Benny are good friends of the King and I believe were invited to the wedding today.
- I love royal wedding. But honestly, Prince Carl Philip should be on the way to being king. That law about the first born should not apply to him. Prince Carl Philp is far too good-looking to be out of the running. Love live King Carl Philip!
- Who is Prince Albert''s girlfriend? Does anyone know what''s going to happen in Monaco if Albert doesn''t have a child? I know he has an out of wedlock boy with some woman but I understand he can''t inherit the throne. Does Caroline''s son get it or does Monaco go back to France?
- his gf is some woman named Charlene that he''s dated for ages, but for some reason won''t marry. Oddly enough, she was his "date" to the wedding today in Stockhol; in the past, most royalty attending the weddings of other royalty didn''t bring "dates", only spouses or official fiancees could accompany them. Times apparently have changed. \
Albert''s two illegitimate kids cannot inherit his title or "throne" although they can inherit his money (he''s loaded). When Albert dies, his leadership of Monaco passes to Caroline (if she''s still alive); after her it will go to her eldest Casirhagi son. This unless Albert marries and has a legitimate child of his own.
- She married a fitness trainer?
- Does that gorgeous Prince Carl Philip have a boyfriend or a girlfriend? Damn, he''s handsome.
- Isn''t Prince Carl Phillip dating a reality TV star? A female reality TV star, BTW.
- J''adore Beatrix!
- What is supposed to be in r25''s link?\
I want more gay/bi gossip about Carl Philip....
- [quote]My partner and I had crowns fashioned for our commitment ceremony. It was romantic to place a crown on each other''s head. Our little dog, Jacqueline, had a crown of her own as well.\
- "She actually looks really nice in that outfit. It''s more stylish than the usual frockage worn by royals (see Diana wedding gown horror)."\
Yes, Diana''s gown was a monstrosity. It was very of it''s period, the eighties: too damn much of everything. The damn thing had a 25 ft. long train! The carriage she rode to the church in was small, and the train and gown got crushed and wrinkled by the time she got there. The dress was a disaster, just like the marriage.
- R71, few people acknowledge that the train to Fergie''s dress was even longer than Diana''s! And her marriage was even more disastrous!!
- The best Betty can do is send that useless son Edward and his notorious wife along? She must really hate these people.\
Isn''t the Crown Prince of Norway married to a former single mother who was on the dole? Letizia is a divorced tramp whose first marriage the Catholic Church managed to overlook because it was civil and, therefore, ''didn''t count''. Frederick of Denmark married some real estate agent from Australia. And Victoria''s husband was a personal trainer.\
Seriously, does Royalty have any standards any more?
- Was Luann invited?
I don''t think the citizens of those countries care. In Spain, for example, they have used Letizia (white wash) background to say that the monarchy is becoming ''more like the people and closer to it''s citizens'' and not just for people of privileges.\
The only royal people marrying other royal people are of dead monarchies because they need the wealth and connections (like the current French dukes, etc).
- The couple looks so in love and happy. Does anyone know what Daniel does (or should I say did)?
- It''s very telling that a former anorexic ended up marrying a fitness trainer.
- Isn''t Frida of ABBA friends with the Swedish royal family?
- She has wonderful posture. And the Swedish Royals certainly have good genes. All very attractive
- It''s hilarious to see all of those old fat fucks in their military uniforms with the medals. You just know the extent of their military service was getting the clap from a Navy nurse.
- LOL R70. \
OK, who can explain all those medals and star pins all the royals wear?
- [quote]ew people acknowledge that the train to Fergie''s dress was even longer than Diana''s!\
That''s because it wasn''t. Most people are smarter than you.
- Daniel Westling looks about ten times better WITH the glasses.
- She is smiling in EVERY photo. I''ve never seen anyone look so happy.
- The couple looks so in love! I would kill for her pink dress at the the top of the livejournal link.
Want the dress
- Swedes in general are the best looking in Scandinavia. The royal family are fug compared to its people.\
The royal wedding was awesome and outbeated the Danish and Norwegian Royal weddings.
- Europe is so irrelevant. Lets talk about Obama!
- WHAT a stunning staged royal wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!\
When that gilded royal barge arrived at the palace I almost died and went to heaven!!! Those lavendar orb flower arrangements on the balustrades. Fucking GORGEOUS. And then when they walked through to the city side for the concert under the balcony: so well done! \
A few tidits:\
1. The amazing cameo tiara Victoria wore is Napoleonic.\
2. Benny Anderson (ex ABBA) wrote the fantastic special song "Resting blissfully in your arms" that occurs after the vows. The lyrics are fabulous. I''ve attached a link to a video of the song: it''s the first up in the video.\
This the first I''ve heard that Carl Philip is bisexual. Any more gossip? He''s a wet dream!
- The groom''s fantastic speech:
- The beautifully decorated watergate at the palace. Very Cecil B. DeMille!
- Close up of their arrival at palace. God I love those flowers.
- The royal barge on its way to the palace.\
I wish I could find some shots of the soldiers and sailors. There was also a dark haired courtier standing behind the king at the banquet who was a wet dream.
- R88: Carl-Philip went to a posh boarding school in Sweden and a friend's sister was there at the same time. According to her, it was well known and accepted at the school that CP was bisexual. After he graduated, there were rumours that he was having an affair with a Swedish singer, Peter Jöback, and some people say that they even made out in public in a nightclub in Stockholm. That was in the 90's so internet and internet gossip was not big at all here. Luckily for the prince.
And the press didn't write about it, of course.
Shortly after that, Carl-Philip has a new girlfriend, who is a commoner from a normal Swedish family and - she is allowed to move in with him, be seen with him on parties, is invited to the royal family and so on. That is usually something that takes _years_, but it seems that the royal family was willing to accept anything to stop the rumours.
Funny thing, Peter Jöback and his male partner/husband was invited to the wedding and were seen on tv on their way to the dance floor. ;)
I think it's because PJ sang at the royal concert and all artists who did that were invited.
- Damn, why wasn''t this royal wedding televised? These grand affairs make for great TV. And they''re so much better than anything else on television. \
Abd that Swedish Royal Family win the Miss Photogenic contest hands down, especially His Hotness Prince Carl Philip.
- I only saw one photo of Prince Nikolaos of Greece and his fiancee. I''m assuming Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece attended as well.
- Nice Swedish genes...brother and sister.
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Wedding Crown Princess Victoria Daniel Westling 8rAlw83HM5Bl.jpg
- Yay, sailors! \
Boarding the royal barge for the trip to the palace...
- Thanks for the dish R93. I was wondering who that hammy simpering singer at the Royal Concert was. Now after Googling his name from your post, I made the connection. Peter Joback really is TERRIBLE! And anyone who sings ''She'' in 2010 needs to be taken out back and fed to the lions.
- R33, maybe if he married Eva he would be happy now, but I''m sure he wasn''t allowed to by his parents. Such a shame.\
Sure, our crown princess Mette Marit is far from perfect, but she''s doing a great job and she''s very much liked by the Norwegian people. The king and queen let their kids marry out of love, as it should be. Though our princess Martha Louise is kinda crazy and married an author or romani heritage. He is also crazy. Thank god she is not first in line to inherit the crown. And also, little princess Ingrid Alexandra looked pretty today. Her first big event. Too cute!\
Anyway.. Here''s a pic of Spain''s crown prince Felipe and Eva. They broke it up shortly after this event.
- R94: It was televised and the Swedish broadcasting company has made the material to viewers all over the world on their webpage - you can watch it all over again there. www.svt.se\
Also check all the clips on Aftonbladet and Expressen.\
R99: MM is doing a great job and I wonder what has happended to her the last months. She used to look really dull and boring but now she''s got a great wardrobe, fabulous hair and looks like a movie star. Has she got a new stylist or something? \
We saw her in Stockholm this week and she is even better looking in person btw. Stunning!
- @r96, Too bad that Victoria''s genes got fucked up. That woman is fug.
- Mette Marit is also a really nice person. I met her several times in the 90''s, before she met Crown Prince Haakon. She used to hang around Copenhagen a lot and just have a great time with her Danish and Norwegian friends.
- Anyone who dates Prince Albert is after the money. He''s just a big fat ol blob - totally unattractive.
- Yeah, R100. I noticed that myself. She looked spectacular at the wedding! She has always been beautiful, not movie actress beautiful perhaps, but more naturally beautiful, if that makes any sense. She usually dresses really nice too. Though I must admit that she has looked especially gorgeous the last few months. Maybe she did hire a new stylist! lol.
- [quote]Anyone who dates Prince Albert is after the money. He''s just a big fat ol blob - totally unattractive.\
Hard not to think so. That girl he is with has a had a great makeover methinks. The gown she''s wearing is phenomenal, and her sculpted hair is superb.
- The family spent millions of dollars while their country is suffering financially, and then they mucked up a lucrative deal to televise the wedding to the world. \
Mark my words: It won''t last more than 5 years.
- The bride is absolutely gorgeous. The groom adorable. This is a royal wedding that actually looks like a fantasy of a royal wedding. Simple, elegant.
- Q.: Do you have Prince Albert in a can?\
A.: No, we can barely fit him in a piano crate.
Thanks. I''m here every Tuesday. Try the veal.
- Queen Margarethe and Prince Henrik of Denmark look like they''ll get drunk at home after the ceremony and joke about which of the other guests were complete cunts.\
They look like they''d be a lot of fun.
- No members of the Greek royal family?\
They seem to show up at everything.
- Wait...they were there.\
But where it the Crown Princess?\
Still at the airport for some duty-free shopping?
- The Greek royals were there but not the crown prince and crown princess. Haven''t read why.\
Queen Anne-Marie is first cousin with the Swedish king so they are invited to everything.
- Queen Anne-Marie!
- My sister (the psychologist from the Seinfeld thread) went to Amherst with Prince Albert. According to her, he was a very nice man. When our parents went to Europe for their 25th anniversary, Albert arranged for them to have dinner with his father (which was a big thrill for my mother).\
He used to be a great athlete. That whole family is dysfunctional. But unless he has lost his character with his waistline, it''s possible his girlfriend loves him because he''s a good man.
- Most interesting gossip all day r114. Thanks for posting.
- Helena Cassidine was holding them hostage.
- Don''t know why His Serene Highness Prince Albert doesn''t marry a trophy wife and spawn some kids. He clearly has done so with two other women, so it''s not like he isn''t capable of the heterosex.\
Caroline''s kids are, well, gorgeous but I''m not sure Andrea is all that bright and hasn''t been educated to take on the duties of the monarchy.\
Interesting this is all unfolding.
- Why on earth did Daniel give most of his speech at the wedding in English?
- In answer to R118: English is the lingua franca of the different royal houses in Europe.
- I asked him to give most of his speech in English, r118. I told him we have major discussions of royalty at DataLounge and that Queen Margarethe is one of our honorary faghags.
- Long live the Swedish monarchy!!\
- [quote]The family spent millions of dollars while their country is suffering financially, and then they mucked up a lucrative deal to televise the wedding to the world. \
R106. How did the Swedish Royal Family muck up a televised wedding deal?\
Surely, MSNBC could have broadcast the Swedish royal wedding rather than one more Saturday of those endless repeats of "Lock Up" and crime documentaries.
- R45, please be kidding.\
R114, does your sister the psychologist mind that you''re posting enough detail about her life for total strangers to be able to look her up and find out her name? Most people would.
- [quote]The Greek royals were there but not the crown prince and crown princess. Haven''t read why.\
Greece doesn''t have a Royal family. They were democratically removed by referendum. These losers needs to get a life.
- Princess Marie-Chantal is about as royal as Butterfly McQueen.
- Prince Nikolaos of Greece and his fiancee attended the Swedish royal wedding. His mother, Queen Anne Marie, is the cousin of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden. The Greek Royal Family remains an entity and retain their titles even if they do not reign.
- So far no-one''s been able to tell me why they all have those medals (the men) and the women wear sashes and stars. Good old Carl Philip (drool) is wearing a necklace star thing... what''s that all about?! Obviously I know it''s a royalty thing -- but does each medal/sash/necklace thing have specific meaning, and if yes, where can you find out about such things?
- Thanks for the link, R100! \
King Constantine sat right behind Carl XVI Gustav. Victoria''s younger brother is drop dead gorgeous. So are the Crown Princes of Norway and Denmark.\
Queen Margarethe''s consort is another Prince Philip, in other words, a complete ass. He could barely contain his boredom throughout the ceremony. She''s well-loved in Denmark. He, in contrast, is not.
Bonnie Prince Charlie
- R128, they''re chains of office. They date back to the late medieval and early modern times when such things denoted ranks, such as lord chancellor, lord treasurer, and what not. The chains around the various kings and princes represent military orders.
Bonnie Prince Charlie
- R128: the orders and medals are given as an honour from the king. The highest ranking order in Sweden is the order of the Serafim and it is only given to royals or heads of states. That's the wide blue ribbon that all the royal guests carried across their bodies - prince Daniel was given his before he exited the church yesterday.
Then there are other medals that can be given to basically anybody as an honour. There are different kinds of medals and different sizes. (The bigger, the better, sort of.)
The king holds a medal ceremony every year when he gives out medals to Swedes who have made a difference in some way over the years: scientists, writers, singers etc.
Medallions are also made for special royal events and given to people who participate in them. All the servants who helped with the wedding yesterday were given a medal from Victoria and Daniel - Im not sure if the same medal, or a fancier one, were given to all the guests too.
The big golden "necklaces" that the king and prince CP wore yesterday were the order of the Serafim. The chains are only given to very special, high ranking people and I think that it may be given only to male members of the royal family in Sweden.
- If I were a prince, I would have no desire to join the military. Being a prince is hard enough.
- Prince Carl Philip was in the navy, getting a military education for a couple of years. Lots of young men in navy uniforms... need I say more?
- I''ve plenty of military medals from the U.S. and the gold medal of honor from a European nation. I get that out just once a year.
- R102: Wow, cool you got to meet her! I''m glad she''s as nice as she comes across. I personally like Mette Marit. She''s a good princess, and the people like her too.\
R106: Funny you should say that. The Swedes actually move to Oslo because the unemployment rate is so high in Sweden. It''s much easier to get a job in Oslo, and the salary is MUCH higher than in Sweden. But then again, everything is more expensive here too.. I think the most important thing is just to get a job though, and like I said, it''s much easier in Norway. The Swedes often work in restaurants and shops, and you can hear Swedish EVERYWHERE in Oslo. More and more Swedes come here every day. They often mock Norway, and I''m not saying my country is perfect, far from it. I just find it funny that they talk shit about Norway when Sweden is in such a dire that they have to move here to get a job. LMAO.
- I love the fact that the Swedish Royal Family are direct descendants of Desiree Clary, a wealthy silk merchant''s daughter from Marseilles. She was once engaged to Napoleon and her sister was married to Napoleon''s brother Joseph. Desiree later went on the marry Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, a general of the French army and later a Marshal of the Empire.\
It was Bernadotte who was later selected and elected to be the Crown Prince of Sweden as the country was in need of an heir. He was adopted by the King Charles XIII of Sweden.\
A Hollywood version of Desiree''s story was made in 1954 starring Jean Simmons as Desiree, Michael Rennie as Bernadotte, Merle Oberon as Josephine and Marlon Brando as Napoleon.\
One of Princess Victoria''s names is "Desiree".
- Don''t they all look just so silly? Like a bus-and-truck of The Merry Widow starring Patrice Munsel.
- [quote]Don''t they all look just so silly? \
No, they don''t, but I guess it makes you feel so much superior to say that, Miss Thang.
- Question for the resident royalty experts:\
Is there a hierarchy among the European monarchies? Which are the 3 most prominent families? I personally think it''s quite telling that Great Britain sent the Count and Countess of Wessex to attend the nuptials of the future Queen of Sweden. Does that mean that the Swedes/Nordic monarchies aren''t very significant?\
Also, why would Queen Rania of Jordan be invited, but not an assortment of Asian, Middle Eastern, or African monarchs? What relationship does Sweden have with Jordan? I know she''s internationally known, but Queen Rania showed up in an unimpressive outfit/tiara and she''s not from one of the European families...
- God r138, I shudder at the thought of your wardrobe.
- I wonder if these so called "royals" deep down envy those of us who really were selected by their God to be born as queens for life, regardless of country or status?
queen mary of the many.
- Her husband looks like a consultant with Anderson Consulting, aka Accenture.\
She looks stunning! For the most part, they all have such better taste than those British Royals!\
P.S. No one should ever wear a gown with a mermaid silhouette. It''s just tacky and makes anyone wearing it look hippy. Note: Crown Princess Maxima of the Netherlands...
- Most of the European countries with monarchs have populations less than the size of California. The exceptions are Spain and Britain, and only the British monarch has reach beyond Europe, as she acts as head of state for a number of ex-British colonies (and pretty large ones, at that). \
To us, they seem to live in a sort of Brothers Grimm fairytale world because we''re not familiar with their day-to-day lives. The British monarchy is perceived differently because there''s no language barrier and they attract fame whores like Diana and Fergie.
- The big golden "necklaces" that the king and prince CP wore yesterday were the order of the Serafim. The chains are only given to very special, high ranking people and I think that it may be given only to male members of the royal family in Sweden.\
Actually both King Harald of Norway and Finland''s President Tarja Halonen both wore the order of Serafim when they attended the wedding. The order was a gift from the king and it is gender neutral.\
The princesses and the queen also have the necklace but prefer not to wear it, I assume because it''s heavy and wouldn''t fit with their dresses and appearence. They just wear the star of the necklace.
- [quote]I shudder at the thought of your wardrobe.\
Enjoy your shudder, r140, I''m certain my wardrobe is much worse than you can imagine. I have mostly shorts, tank-tops, and an assortment of flip-flops. It''s what one wears when residing in a beachfront village. Please get on with your shuddering. I''m sure you do it magnificently; better than any Queen or queen at that wedding.
- R139...There was a certain amount of protocol involved with the seating arrangement in the cathedral with reigning monarchs given precedence over heirs presumptive and lesser royal personages. Though I do not have the 'Almanach de Gotha" readily at hand (LOL!!!), I believe the order of precedence for monarchs is dictated by the tenure of reigns. As for the presence of the Jordanian king and his consort, remember that that monarchy is the most Western in orientation amongst the Arab monarchs, which explains his presence. Same for the Japanese Crown Prince, who was dressed in white tie. You'll never see a member of the Japanese Imperial Family dressed in military uniform, owing to Japan's war-time role and post-war constitution.
As for Edward representing the Queen, much has to do with scheduling with a good deal of pr going into it. Protocol would dictate the presence of the Prince of Wales as Victoria is his counterpart. He may have been previously committed. They could not send William, because he would upstage the bride with speculation over his future plans. Hence, the Earl and Countess of Wessex!
Bonnie Prince Charlie
- R146, that was a great response, but does it really all boil down to tenure? Is HM The Queen, Elizabeth II treated better than or equal to other European monarchs? She''s more revered than the rest, but does her popularity have no impact on how the other royals treat her?
- R146, yes and no. The British Royal Family is the most well known and she is The Queen. But she is related to most of them. And Elizabeth will treat other reigning monarchs, or even deposed ones such as Constantine, as her equals. I believe that she''s closest to the Danish Queen, who calls her :Lilibet," her childhood nickname.\
Among the royals, the Grimaldis are almost considered the "poor relations," as they are "serene" and not "royal."\
God, I love this stuff...have so since childhood...yet some people were surprised when I came out of the closet! Go figure!
Bonnie Prince Charlie
- QEII should have sent Princess Michael as compensation for sending no-one from her immediate family to the wedding of Princess Michael''s son.
- Actually William wasn''t sent because he is in South Africa with Harry following the World Cup. Also I''m certain he wouldn''t upstage the Crown Princess in her own home country. Perhaps in the UK press.
- William has been in Africa this week. Some kind of bowl game - the Africa Bowl? And QE2 and hubby were at the races at Ascot. Did she have one of her horses running?
- The Grimaldis require a male heir in order for Monaco''s independence to continue; otherwise, it is ceded to France. Monaco is nothing more than a tax dodge and the epicenter of Eurotrash.
Princess Stephanie, at the Wheel
- QEII doesn''t travel much anymore, due to advance age. Phillip doesn''t tavel, due to advance foot-in-mouth.
- Not true anymore 152, Princess Caroline''s daughters are in line to the throne after their older brother.
- Actually, R153, QEII and Phillip still travel quite a bit for octogenarians. They are touring Canada for a week this summer. R146''s explanation makes more sense.
- "Rumors has it that the King didn''t like Letizia (still doesn''t) but Felipe said he would renounced his rights as crown prince if he wasn''t allowed to marry Letizia."\
How on earth would anyone know such a thing? The Spanish royals are the soul of discretion.
- Actually Queen Elizabeth is somewhat notorious for not showing up at royal weddings. Or so I''ve read. I guess the busy dame doesn''t have time for such time consuming events as weddings.
- "What is the royal line for the Spanish royal family? How far back and all that?"\
One of the best lines in Europe. Make the British royals look like Trumps. The King is a Bourbon on both sides (thus going back to Hugh Capet), and is descended from Louis XIV 17 ways and Maria Theresa of Autria 9 ways. When his grandmother, the favorite granddaughter of Victoria wanted to marry his grandfather, the Spanish parliament had to pass a law making her a Spanish princess because being a granddaughter of Victoria was not considered "royal" by Spanish standards.\
Letizia is the first non-royal in history to marry into the family.
- It really wouldn''t do to have the Prince of Wales at the wedding since the media would be comparing his Duchess to all the horses in the procession.
- QEII thinks she''s above the continental royals. She was conspicuous by her absence. The excuse is that she puts her official duties before social ocassions. Sure, sweetheart.
Princess Michael, Still Seething Through Gritted Teeth
- [quote]Queen Margarethe is one of our honorary faghags.\
Absolutely! She understands the critical importance of powerdressing, fur, and ordering men around!
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/K2dbyyRzuZK/Dinner Christiansborg Palace/QkSWz_AqX1C/Queen Margrethe II Of Denmark
- [quote]QEII thinks she''s above the continental royals.\
I am the doyen of monarchs!
- In other words, it''s obvious that these ceremonies are primarily aimed at fellow royals (or should I say "royals" since in fact they''re no different from you or me). I suspect it''s all a matter of one-upsmanship. \
(I''m the one who asked earlier about Daniel speaking English at his wedding, which is purely for the benefit of the other royals apparently rather than the Swedish public, which lends the royal family whatever legitimacy it has and presumably has enough national pride that they would prefer to hear their royal family speak Swedish.)
- English is the only language that most of the Continental royals have in common. It is particularly pervasive throughout Scandinavia. Pretty much everyone at the reception would understand English, and only the Swedes would undertand the Swedish. \
Queen Margarethe also gave a speech in English at her son''s wedding, although he was marrying an Australian.
- You have no idea, R163, with you "presumably," what you''re talking about. The Swedes (who mostly speak English well, thank you very much) expect their royals to communicate with the world.\
Your Sarah Palin is not the model for a Swedish prince.
- Do you mean to imply R164, that the Australians would not understand English?
- Given that her husband was or is a personal trainer I''m surprised no body shots have popped up, weird.
- It seems odd, in this forum, that nobody has mentioned the well-known fact that Victoria''s father, the King, is gay.
- Project Rungay did a good breakdown of the wedding
- r168, perhaps because you are wrong. You''re probably mixing him up King Gustaf V, who was outed after his death.
- I thought the Prince consort of Denmark is the gay one.
- Interestingly, several of the Swedish princes of Gustav ''s generation were gay. Prince Eugene, an artist, left his fabulous home Waldesmudde (sp) to the people. If you''re visiting Stockhom it''s worth a visit. Has a lovely hugge painting of a nude youth (''Water Sprite'') in the living room. Another of the gay princes married Grand Duchess Marie the younger of Russia. Their son, who I think died very recently, lived on the most magificent island estate on one of the Italian lakes.
- I''ve just watch the new prince''s speech. There can be few princes born to the blood who could be so graceful or gracious on such an occasion (certainly not the Brits).
- Most of us bitches would give our right nut just to have his hair.
- The only male-on-male hugging was between the new prince consort and his lovely brother-in-law.\
- "I thought the Prince consort of Denmark is the gay one."\
Oh. I hadn''t heard there was a quota.
- "Carl-Philip went to a posh boarding school in Sweden and a friend''s sister was there at the same time. According to her, it was well known and accepted at the school that CP was bisexual. After he graduated, there were rumours that he was having an affair with a Swedish singer, Peter Jback, and some people say that they even made out in public in a nightclub in Stockholm."\
Nothing more than an entertaining fantasy.
- Peter Joback was even a guest at the Crown Princess'' wedding. He attented with his boyfriend. I highly doubt Carl-Philip messed around with him. However Carl-Philip might not be straight, but the Joback-affair was entirely made up by the Swedish tabloid.
- [quote]Letizia is the first non-royal in history to marry into the family.\
So that handball player would married the Infanta is royal? Who knew?
- Did the king create Daniel a prince, or does he just assume the title, Prince Consort, upon marriage? Will there be an HRH in front of his name?
- He was given the title HRH, and will most likely be named Prince consort when Victoria becomes the Queen of Sweden.
- Does anyone expect her to have kids? One would think her eating disorders would''ve rendered her incapable of carrying a baby to full term.
- She hasn''t suffered from anorexia for the last ten years, and her sickness lasted for about a year or two. I don''t think it affected her when it comes to pregnancy.
- The pictures were lovely and she is impressive insisting on marrying for love, but the whole promenade of royals had me wondering what the hell was the point of all these birthright nobodies and their fabulous unearned wealth. \
I know some of them do good work, but seriously why do they still get this treatment in 2010?
- I thought it interesting that the least decorated royal there, Prince Albert, is the only one with any political power at all, and in Monaco his power is absolute.
- R185: I don''t think any tabloids or magazines ever wrote about the alleged affair, it was just a rumour (a very persistent one though!) around town.\
Swedish media is very careful with what they write about the royal family and I don''t think they ever would write about the royals gay affairs, even if they could confirm that it was true.
- You''re right, R179. It should have been "this is the first generation in which non-royals have married people in the Spanish line of succession without those people having to give up their place in the line of succession."\
And the fact that Iñaki, Duke of Mallorca was a handball champion does not erase his aristocratic background or current professional position. No need to sneer.\
Besides, he''s GORGEOUS.
- R185, "political power" is not the only -- or even the best -- kind of power. John Boehner has political power.
- R175, you should have seen the way CP looked at Daniel. I was like wow! He really is gay/bi!
- Nonetheless, one would presume it is the power that would be inextricably linked to being a king or queen, non?
- [quote]you should have seen the way CP looked at Daniel. I was like wow! He really is gay/bi!\
So you think the Crown Princess looks at Daniel as if he''s gay?
- Here are some more pictures, from huffpost. I am so madly in love with Daniel''s mother''s look. Now that is one frau who knows how to draw attention to her look even in a roomful of royalty and former models.
- I love the gown, the veil and the *size* of the crown, but not the little cameos.
- r186, I live in Sweden, perhaps you do too? Anyways, the news paper Expressen which wrote about the affair, in blind item might I add, later on confirmed that the publicist knew it was made up. Because he was actually present at the club during the alleged night keeping an eye ,in his journalist ways, on the Prince through out the night.\
He went along with it anyway because like you said, it definitely was the talk of the town the next morning. Back then the whole gay issue was a little bit more sensitive, the Prince was seen chatting one-on-one with the gay celeb at the club was enough to make him gay as well.
- No, R190, not for the last few centuries.\
Where have you been?
- And I didn''t get to attend, yet again. Sigh. If you''ll excuse me, I''ll go have yet another nervous breakdown now...
HIH Crown Princess Machiko of Japan
- So glad everyone went with the ''Barbie''s Royal Wedding'' theme...
- Are there any monarchs outside of Muslim countries (Saudi Arabia, Brunei, Jordan, the UAE) who actually have real and substantive political power anymore?
- When Prince Carl Philip was younger and starting out in the military, several gay publications featured hunky photos of him. Unlike Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, I don''t think there have been any nude pics of Carl Philip.
- Prince Albert shares power with the one house Parliament.
- I want to see those "hunky" photos, R199.
- Who here has seen any members of royal families? While we''ve all seen our share of queens, let''s hear about royalty spotted here and there.
- There are nude pixs of Fred Denmark?
- Carl Philip in a wetsuit:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i48/hippie_cyndi/Prince Carl Philip/de4f8307.jpg
Bonnie Prince Charlie
- What''s a "house Parliament"?\
Oh. Do you mean a one-house Parliament?
that might have been the case but not anymore. Actually when Felipe got married, Juan Carlos told someone from the press that Felipe ''has crewed up the Monarchy.'' \
In the family pictures (like during Summer vacation and Easter), Juan Carlos ignores Letizia all the time (they barely if ever talk), and he also ignores the daughters of Felipe and Letizia (it''s so sad because it''s very obvious). He is more close and caring to his other grandchildren. Believe me, if you follow the Spaniard Royal family, it doesn''t take a genius to know that Juan Carlos doesn''t like Letizia. Felipe''s sisters, Elena and Cristina, also doesn''t talk to Letizia. The only one that is close to Letizia is the Queen because she is head over heels in love with Felipe.\
Yes, Inaki is very hot but lately he has let himself go... with all the business controversies he has been having...
- In the deep blue sea:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/jdmarkley/Prins Carl Philip/8447.jpg
Bonnie Prince Charlie
Yes there are nude pics of Fred.. in his house in South of France and peeing on a yacht.
- Seems to have bonded with his new brother-in-law!
- Quite the hunk:
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/ZTiBKVDmfdh/Beach Bodies 2008 2009/9vVthHA6kj_/Prince Carl Philip
Bonnie Prince Charlie
- There are also pics of CP Frederik running naked to a swimming spot at a river or lake.
- Topless princes:
yes, that is true.. that is a bizarre one because wasn''t he on top of another man naked? it looked like a party for nudes. I haven''t seen that pic in a while.
- Carl-Philip with UNshaved chest:
- There are lots of pics of Carl-Philip and Daniel being physically affectionate. I know it''s a leap, but wouldn''t it be a kick if Victoria has done what Caroline of Monaco did: marry her brother''s lover?
- That is NOT Carl-Philip. That''s one of the guys from Monaco.
- R214, I think that is Princess Caroline of Monaco''s son.
Bonnie Prince Charlie
- WOW, Queen Rania looks awful. The whole palace in Amman must have been distracted to let her pack that gown; it''s falling off of her shoulders, and not in a good way. WTF?
- Royal bump! I want to hear more more MORE about all the royal scandals and personal accounts people have had. I know someone who''s friendly with Prince Frederik of Denmark and apparently he''s a lovely guy. Wish I could contribute more... \
Someone HAS TO have some inside scoop! Come on, don''t be shy!
- Everything you wanted to know about the wedding:
- r198, they do in Monaco, Liechtenstein, Nepal, Thailand, Brunei, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE, Tonga, Swaziland, and Lesotho.
- I recall a documentary many years ago that included an interview with the Grand Duke of Liechtenstein (father of the current Grand Duke). He was saying that he wanted his land back in Czechoslovakia that had been seized by the Communists.\
Most of their landholdings had been in Czechoslovakia and Hungary, they bought Liechtenstein just to get the title and never really lived there until they got kicked out of their real homes during WWII.\
The old Grand Duke was doddering at that point. As he was ranting about his confiscated property, his wife leaned over and said, "Darling, we know we are not going to get it back"\
Fast forward, the current Grand Duke and want-to-be Autocrat has probably worked hard to get that property. Does anyone know if he has?
- I doubt it, r222. Haven''t heard anything about it, though.\
All I know is Liechtenstein is currently under a lot of pressure from the EU, particularly Germany, for sheltering tax evaders. They are cracking down on Switzerland and Luxembourg, too, but Liechtenstein is one of the most un-cooperative and arrogant tax havens out there.\
The pressure in this economic climate is growing, so I think the Grand Duke has got other things on his plate at the moment.
- Why are we bothering with William and Harry? Prince Carl Philip of Sweden is the most handsome man on the planet. Damn, what a hunk!
- Just looked up the Liechtenstiens. They are Princes not Grand Dukes, pardon me. They are more progressive than I realized. In 1984 they allowed women to vote. How liberal of them.\
Still didn''t find out about the land. Did find out that they magnanimously allowed concentration camp inmates to work their eastern European estates during WWII. What mensches.
- Love the look on the face of the guy behind the gorgeous Carl-Philip:
- Prince Carl Philip is so damn handsome. He''s the perfect blend of Swedish, German and Brazilian.
- CP Frederik the Dane, having a pee.
- Any Sophie(English royals really are German Euro-trash)of Wessex and Andrew gossip?
You Scandis do it well.
- The groom really needs some plastic surgery, those granny glasses just aren''t enough.
- Here is Prince Carl-Philip with his close friend. They are watching a football/soccer match I think. The text say "You have to be more discreet CP!" His friend is married though..
- So Carl-Philip is a rise queen, then?
- R228. Thanks for the shot of Denmark''s Crown Prince Frederik and his royal uncircumcised cock. Now what the hell is wrong with Prince Carl Philip of Sweden; doesn''t he ever have to piss in public?
- Thanks R7 - for THIS link!
Fuck the royals
- And THIS one!
- I''m quite taken with this gorgeous Swedish Royal Family especially that sexy hunk Prince Carl Philip. His sisters are quite beautiful too.
- "Rumors has it that the King didn''t like Letizia (still doesn''t) but Felipe said he would renounced his rights as crown prince if he wasn''t allowed to marry Letizia."\
How on earth would anyone know such a thing? The Spanish royals are the soul of discretion.\
They are discrete, but word leaks out sometimes. Like the fact that Sophia got tired of JC''s womanizing a while ago, and has discreetly carried on several "close friendships" herself, most notably w/a Spanish journalist/writer (all male). Yes, I know someone who is close to one of the Infantas and their Greek cousin (Alexia). \
Word was Felipe, tired of his father''s meddling in his love life and dictating that he wed a royal or noblewoman (this after he was made to break up w/Eva Sannum, whom he loved dearly) - told his father in no uncertain terms re. Letizia, "if you don''t like my marrying her, you better prepare everyone for Queen Elena". And with that, the kind relented and the engagement proceeded.
- sorry kind = king in the previous post
- r237, I completely agree and that is what I tried to say in post r206.
- Too bad one of the Windsor boys isn''t dating the pretty Madeline.
- Again, R237, you are simply fantasizing. "Word was" is not documentation, and -- again -- there is no way you would know these things.
- Victoria is one of my favorite royals! She looked so beautiful. Her sister is also beautiful. Though I wonder how Victoria felt about being compared to her sister and how Madeleine is the "pretty sister".
- I'm glad someone bumped this really timely thread up.