- Also a thing about "Aura" -- "Awrah" in Arabic means the parts of a woman's body that must be covered per religious modesty guidelines. But Gaga seems a bit confused on this, like she thinks "awrah/aura" is the veil or clothing that does the covering.
- Anyone else?
- Everything I've heard from the album is hot. SEXX DREAMS, ARTPOP (TITLE TRACK), DO WHAT U WANT, AURA, and even APPLAUSE are awesome tracks that show why she's the most polarizing yet talked about, creative and musically talented of all the other pop starlets (the Katys, the Rihannas, the Mileys, etc.).
I think the vast majority of people saying they hate it, it's horrible, she's over, etc., are just haters.
- I love most of it. Like her or not, she does whatever she wants. I give her respect for that.
- I don't like it and won't buy it. That doesn't mean Gaga's any worse (or better) than any other pop tart and it doesn't mean I'm a hater. I just don't like the album.
- Listening to it now... I think it's pretty hot.
Manicure, Swine, Sexxx Dreams are pretty tight.
Donatella is kinda flimsy but I think it'll find life as a kind of cheeky anthem.
- I really like Dope. I'm glad she changed the lyrics from I Wanna Be With You. It's a great ballad.
- I've only heard "Applause", and I loved that song... if the rest of the album is in the same vein, I'll probably enjoy it.
- I like most of the songs. Some of them aren't my taste but I love that Gaga changes it up on each song.
This album should sell much better than Perry, Cyrus and Shitney's new shit stuff.
It's just annoying someone leaked the songs, as this will certainly hurt sales.
- released in the US today.
- Just copped it today. It's hot. Go Gaga!
- I hope it outsells Emmy.
- But Mariah's massive release today will totally eclipse Gaga.
- Gaga's PR is out in force what a farce won't bother listening, hell no,
- For what it's worth, I've heard Applause at least 30 times in the past few weeks but the only line I really remember is, " I live for the applause."
- I think it's very, very bold. Gaga does not take the safe route, that's for sure. Some songs work really well (Dope, Sexx Dreams, Gypsy, Do Want You Want, and Applause) some seem like she's trying too hard (MANicure, Swine), some are simply overproduced messes, but might be great live (Venus, Aura - though I love the intro to that) and some are just misses (Donatella, the hip hop song).
I give it a strong B+. I hope it sells well.
- Nobody cares about Shitpop.
- the backlash building against this poor girl is going to make the Madge hatred on DL look like a love-in.
- SHUT-UP, 17!!
I thought this was Lady
Gaga's best album to date...5 stars.
- Why backlash? She's putting out new music, not starting World War 3.
People who used this dated word sound like they are suffering from acute arrested development.
- She dumped her manager because she wouldn't take his advice about the record.
- Extremely unconvincing dead-eyed Interscope skank. Fever Ray thief turned Christina Aguilera and Neon Indian thief. Steal on, reptile.
- Brilliant album! There's only two songs I don't care for. The rest is perfection.
- Good, r22.
- The only people who don't like her are ancient Madonna queens. I have no time for them and their had-been queen. When Madonna produces a great album again, then we'll talk.
Anyhow, I got the album today, the pink and silver foil cover. Jeff Koons did the special edition. Her launch party lady night with her flying dress was insane.
- R26 speaks the truth.
- You are soooooooo cool, r26. Very cool. I wish I was you.
In 10 years, you'll be an elder gay and made fun of.
- [quote]The only people who don't like her are ancient Madonna queens. I have no time for them and their had-been queen. When Madonna produces a great album again, then we'll talk.
Thank you, I was hoping someone would make honest sense here.
Art pop has to be Lady Gaga's greatest achievement in years!
- [quote]The only people who don't like her are ancient Madonna queens.
Newsflash: I don't like either one of these cunts.
- Don't worry, r28, Do you really think there will still be any Gaga product for the then middle-aged monsters to defend?
- She's too obsessed with sex.
What is she, a hussy?
- The reviews are so-so. And her first week US sales are expected to be a third of what her last album sold.
- Did you see that meat costume she wore, r32?
She is a total hussy.
- I don't think I like it. That doesn't mean it's a bad album...it's just not in my taste. I am a huge fan of the single Applause, however. I love her previous albums and Applause, but this album beyond that isn't my cup of tea.
- Said it once, will say it again. She's over, death throes. Hit dogs hollar if her shit is so great why the fan-bots. Let her so called art speak for itself.
You know the bitch is over when little hillbilly Miley Cyrus makes her look like an ancient out of touch hag.
- Only song I ever liked of hers was LoveGame.
Everything else I couldn't have cared less about - this album included.
- I like most of the songs on her album. I'm not surprised the Vadge stans hate Gaga-she has all the talent Vadge wishes she had.
- ^ yawns
- she writes her own songs so there is that...
I like how she spells out words in her chorus.. I learned how to spell applause that way. before it was hard.
kind of how I like Gwen Stefani for teaching me how to spell bananas.
- but does she dial her cell phone with a pencil?
- Gaga is SO over, OP. Are you living in Indiana?
- [quote]The reviews are so-so. And her first week US sales are expected to be a third of what her last album sold.
No one expects her to sell that much. Katy Perry was expected to sell like that album, it's her peak with a massive single, and she didn't even clear 300k.
- ARTPOP is #1 on iTunes in 89 countries.
- R44, that won't pay very many bills.
- .."she writes her own songs" ...
Right. Like Madonna and Beyonce write their own songs. Silly bitch she adds a few words to ghost-written lyrics!
Same with Lauyrn Hill that chick got sued and had to pay for taking entire credit for her groundbreaking first album.
Gaga is hype with no more talent than any theatre major or middle class kid who had piano lessons. Tony Bennet was blowing smoke up her ass.
Again, if hillybilly hick Miley Cyrus can trump Gaga in the press she is OVER.
3RD and last message on this thread. Just can't stand to see fan bots or shills camp out like roaches.
- It's cute when extremely old people like R46 assume anyone cares what they think about anything, ever.
Write a letter to the editor, grandpa.
- R44 just loves to lie about Gaga, doesn't she? ARTFLOP is NOT #1 anyplace except in Andorra for JC sakes! And this is why that lying monster neglected to post a link to her lies.
Artpop is stalled at #21 on itunes, at link provided. The reviews have been middling to disappointing.
Gaga is SO overexposed right now with her stupid little getups and hats (Hey! Look over here at ME!--NOT my CD sales!!)
She's a disgusting swine and this latest flop was anticipated. Heck, she was totally shaded by Miley at that program a few weeks ago. No one even noticed her.
- Actually, R47, I just read R46 and agree with him entirely and I'm only 26. Does that make me old, too?
- So this won't be her TRUE BLUE?
- No it's gonna be her Black Out!
- r46, she does write. That was her job before going solo. She was a songwriter and she's musically trained. You do realize that she plays multiple instruments right? Madonna and Beyonce can't do jack shit. Gaga is not a vanity writer. She's the real deal.
- R48, you dumb old fart, here. 89 countries #1
- #1 United States
#1 United Kingdom
#1 Brunei Darussalam
#1 Costa Rica
#1 Czech Republic
#1 Dominican Republic
#1 El Salvador
#1 Hong Kong
#1 Papua New Guinea
#1 Saint Kitts and Nevis
#1 Saudi Arabia
#1 South Africa
#1 Sri Lanka
#1 The Bahamas
#1 Trinidad and Tobago
#1 United Arab Emirates
- To be musically trained and not a vanity writer and the best she can come up with is "riding disco sticks," poker faces and government hookers?
Real deal my ass.
- Hey, let's all look at the bright side: A Gaga has made it all the way to #9!
- Look, I can pull a list out of my ass!
- Madonna's ancient fan base is going ballistic all over the web now. They're even deleting their iTunes app until they don't see Gaga listed as having the #1 album. Gaga knocked Eminem's album out of the top spot.
She should sell over 300k at least, beating Katy, Miley, etc.
She's already #1 in Japan in physical release.
This album will sell 1mil easily in its first month.
For someone who is over, screamed by Madonna fans, she seems to be okay. Oh, and she had gotten rave reviews. She's of course gotten mixed ones as well. Everyone gets those. She just released the ARTPOP app.
Gaga will forever be the face of this moment in history in terms if gay rights in the US as an entertainer. This is why Madonna is trying to get with the gays again and embarrassingly put up kids who commuted suicide from bullying. She's revolting, not to mention a sociopath. Read her brother's book.
An interviewer said this about her, using Madonna's infamous statement that she wanted to rule the world.
Gaga shot back: "I don't want to rule the world, I want to be part of it."
Therein lies the difference between her and Madonna who only gives a shit about herself.
You have to love that Madonna fans making fake web sites pretending to be Gaga fans, fake postings on Craigslist, and writing fake articles. They keep getting caught. One was writing fake anti-Gaga articles for The Examiner. The writer didn't exist, and was using a stock photo of an Asian woman for their Bio. Honestly, Madonna fans are obsessed with this girl.
- R58 is like a blind man swinging into darkness. Desperately trying to connect a punch. He keeps swinging and swinging until he finally collapses into himself, weeping with despair and the futility of it all...
- r56/r57 is a psychopath. Open up your iTunes app.
Even Kworb has it listed.
You have to love Madonna fans dealing with dementia.
- Poor Madonna fans. Bwahahaha.
- Wow! #147 in Cambodia
GaGa is setting the world on fire.
- This is funny how Gaga fanboys are setting it up against Madonna. Dare I say I don't like Gaga (although I used to around The Fame) and nor do I like Madonnna (although I used to from around Ray of Light to American Life). Gimme some Avicii, Robert Babicz or Radio Slave and we'll have something to discuss.
Now how does it fit in your value system where you must loathe one to love the other one and vice versa.
At the end of the end, I could not care less if Gaga is #1 or #21. And most of the people don't either. Get a life!
- You know, a few months back I was totally on the "gaga is over" train. I didn't like Applause very much. I thought it was insular and overindulgent. I must say though that she's gotten me back with ArtPop. I think it's just really, really good. It's the perfect combination of influences from her first three albums and it's exactly what she needed to do right now. The only two songs that truly don't work for me are Aura and Venus, and as someone stated up thread even they will probably be amazing live.
After that awful Born This Way record, it's nice to see that she can have fun again while still having a somewhat serious side. I can't wait for this concert. What I like about Gaga is that her tours are in support of one record and if I went to a concert that was only ArtPop songs I'd be totally cool with that, unlike boring Beyonce who tours with no new material and does the same stuff all the time so every tour is a greatest hits tour.
- Please R26. I'm a late-80's baby and will testify any day that Madonna is shit but Gaga is far worse.
That said, I don't understand why we keep comparing the two bitches. Madonna is dead, yes we all know that. Gaga's biggest rivals are Katy Perry, Pink and Miley, and frankly all of them shit all over her.
Gaga hasn't had a decent tune since bad romance 4(?) years ago. Madge fucked her over when she called her reductive on tv. Perfect word for Gaga tbh.
- I don't want to continue a war since I love them both, but come on, "Fashion" sounds just like M's "Holiday"
- SHe is #26 on Itunes right now...oddly enough the Glee a Katy or a Gaga is number 11 - she is being upstaged by mediocre tv show singers covering her music.
- She's #1, gramps. Get your grandchildren to show you how to use an App.
- lol, yeah, sure, Madge.
- [quote]She's #1
Is she selling the album for $0.99 again?
- Gaga's album has DROPPED TO #26 on iTunes!!!!
She's a FLOP! A great, big FLOP!!!
- Oh MY GOD!! R53, in a desperate attempt to prove that GaGa is #1 somewhere in the world, USES THE FLY BY NIGHT ONLINE SITE "OH NO THEY DIDN'T" AS SOURCE MATERIAL!!!
Hey Shitstain Monster, why not try some LEGITIMATE music site like iTunes (where she is #26) or AMAZON.
What an asshole you are. Using ONTD as source material!
Gaga is pygmy pig meat.
- R58 vomits a lot in his post, but notice he does not provide a single LEGITIMATE link.
R58 is obsessed with Gaga and her cratering career. No one gives a shit about that pygmy pig.
- I love that the only defense her fans seem to have against any Gaga negativity is 'you're old!'
- It's still #1 on iTunes. R73 just started 5 anti-Gaga threads. lol. Poor Madge.
- Except, R75, we can all clearly see at the iTunes link below, that it is way down at #26 and sinking like a stone!
You are a pathetic, pathetic, pathetic liar.
- R73 when go to the iTunes store on my app, Artpop is the #1 album.
When I go to Amazon music, Artpop is the #1 album.
- All her albums should have been EP's, too many MOTR tracks than detract from the awesome tracks. Artpop is weighted towards the former.
- Apple's site doesn't update for days. Open the app.
Lady Gaga was on Howard Stern today. Madonna's head is going to explode. lmao
Howard Stern: "Madonna is jealous of you."
Gaga: "I think she's more aggravated that I'm not upset that she doesn't like me."
- On her app? All you have to do is use an independent computer, not a malware loaded app, asshole. Do we have to tell you EVERYTHING?
- It's a really good album. Our country is so weird. We lift people up, only to knock them down. Gaga is doing exactly what she's always done and now it's getting vilified. I wonder if her "lil monsters" are at the root of this. They are annoying as fuck and so it's easy to judge her because their behavior. Because if some unknown had released this album, it would be considered a damn good pop album.
- I think people are just sick and disgusted with her pretentiousness.
- [quote]I love that the only defense her fans seem to have against any Gaga negativity is 'you're old!'
No, it's the "old angry Madonna fans", it's not everyone who isn't a fan is "old". She appeals to every demographic. If you don't like her, that's fine. Everyone has different tastes. It's not because you may be old that you don't like her. It's the Madonna fans that are old, who go on a rampage about her because Madonna represents their youth, and they can't stand anyone who took over the market Madonna claimed 20-30 years ago, and that includes the gay community worldwide. They're pathetic and fun to poke with a stick. Our resident anti-Gaga troll is a bitter old fart.
- [quote]On her app?
The iTunes app.
- r82 started this thread:
"Gaga ArtPop FALLS From #21 to #26 on iTunes Chart!!! Humiliating Disaster For Gaga!"
- And started this one:
"Lady Gaga introduces latest gimmick as early ArtPop album sales figures crash. (EXAMINER)"
And posting an Examiner article (Wikipedia) is hilarious.
- r82 started this thread too. Bwahahaha!
"Streisand Picks Up $2.3 million Fee For Singing 10 Songs at Private Party!"
And some people say she isn't relevant?
Streisand was paid $2.3 million dollars for one hour of singing at Lincoln Center in NYC for a banking group.
- And started this one:
"Susan Boyle Gets "Done-Up" For Her New Christmas Album!"
I hope I get this in my stocking!
- I haven't read anyone, any of these threads, mentioning Madonna at all except for the Gaga bots. Why do they assume that if one thinks that Gaga is overly promoted trash, that that person automatically supports Madonna?
- What do you know, she started this one too:
"Lady Gaga ARTPOP Album Stalls at #21"
- [quote]I haven't read anyone, any of these threads, mentioning Madonna at all except for the Gaga bots. Why do they assume that if one thinks that Gaga is overly promoted trash, that that person automatically supports Madonna?
Time to start another thread, troll.
- Thank you, R90, for collating all of Gaga's failures into one place for us to find them and view her living tragedy. You are a very good little monster!
- [quote]Thank you, [R90], for collating all of Gaga's failures into one place for us to find them and view her living tragedy.
- Geez, you have a lot of time on your hands. And now someone else is telling everyone to flag you for spam.
[quote]"GaGa continues to steal from Madonna in a reductive frenzy to support ARTPOP lagging sales."
[quote]The little pygmy pig continues to steal from Madonna!
- Current gossip is hardly spam!
Why don't you go out and buy her CD and support the little pig?
- Hurry the fuck up! We need another thread, r95. What is taking you so fucking long???!
- And the Darwin Award of the day goes to R90 for compiling a list of anti-gaga posts for the world to see!
A big GOLD STAR for our buffoonish, impotent friend who takes such great pleasure in FFing comment he does not like----as if it mattered to anyone.
- I love R58! Preach, girl!
- [quote]And the Darwin Award of the day goes to
the one who started ten billion anti-Gaga threads, proving he's a mental case.
- R58 admits she's a Craigslist troll on that post! A CRAIGSLIST TROLL!!! Isn't that where all the gross femmies go to find sex because no one will talk to them in the club??
- [quote]Gaga's biggest rivals are Katy Perry, Pink and Miley, and frankly all of them shit all over her.
That fact that you actually had the courage to type that, and I assume you did it with a straight face, is astounding. Those other bitches (Katy, Nicki) are Gaga wannabes. When she was doing Jo Calderone at the MTV awards several years back, those two chicks were in the audience wearing cheese boxes on their heads and blue wigs (i.e., Gaga had already been there-done that). Shit all over Gaga? What?? Gaga has more talent in her pinky than Katy Perry and certainly Miley Cyrus. She is on another plane visually, artistically and creatively than all of her contemporaries (Britney, Xtina, Rihanna, Beyonce, P!nk, Katy) in that her art is more left of center and experimental. She doesn't fit the mold like those other girls (bland and boring ass Katy Perry in particular).
- [quote][R58] admits she's a Craigslist troll on that post!
- r101, it's a loon.
- R101, have you ever thought about attending a remedial English writing class at your local community college? Your prose is terrible---but we loved the part about "more talent in her little pinky" schtick! HaHaHa!
- I just looked at the poll that started this thread. The majority love it. No wonder this ape went nuts here. It has nothing to do with Gaga anymore. It's just the madbot troll. They aren't lovable like janbot. I think he's trying to be though for future rants.
madbot is preparing the noose for next week when Miss Gaga is #1.
Even if you're not a fan, just come and poke this troll with a stick. It's hysterical!!!
- madbot (r105) is peddling as fast as she can!
- How do you come about saying that "a majority" loved it, when clearly UNDER 1/3rd responded that way?
Do you know the meaning of majority, asswipe?
- [quote]have you ever thought about attending a remedial English writing class at your local community college?
Just because you can't afford to even go to a community college...
[quote]but we loved the part about "more talent in her little pinky" schtick!
Actually, you should have said, "...but we loved the 'more talent in her little pinky' schtick!"
Talk about terrible prose. Pot, meet kettle.
"you can't afford to even go to..."
Maybe you should look into split infinitives, hmmmm? That is a good place to start. Oh! And I hear that Harvard has reserved a place for you!
- A NEW GAME!
Let's guess how much lower ARTPOP will sink on iTunes in 24 hours!
- madbot is obviously drinking and posting now.
- [quote]madbot is obviously drinking and posting now.
Isn't he pathetic? And now he's now infiltrating other threads. He can't seem to take a hint that a), nobody gives a shit what he has to say and b), he's a complete unwanted nobody.
- Where's janbot?
- I hope she releases Gypsy as a single. I think that's my all time favorite Gaga song.
- A lot of people say "Gypsy" for a single. I know "Do What U Want" is the next single. Terry Richardson is shooting an elaborate music video right now for it. "Gypsy" was suppose to be the second single I think. "G.U.Y." might be a single. Labels are always after radio-friendly songs. This album would make some killer music videos. I wish she'd do what Janet Jackson did, which was do a short film using all the songs that would be future singles. They then cut the scenes featuring the songs and released each of them separately for each single's release.
- That was a very smart and innovative thing that Janet did with the RN 1814 album, and she won a Long Form Video Grammy for her efforts.
- Janbot! Welcome back, baby! Where you been??
- This album sucks. I had very high expectations, because Born This Way was a freakin modern masterpiece in my opinion. But all the songs on Artpop are bland and sound almost the same. Her last albums was filled with some really catchy songs and awesome retro sounds, but I didn't remember a single melody from this one.
- r118, ironically, people felt the opposite about Born This Way. I loved it but the consensus is that it was too serious. Artpop is fun. There's only two songs I don't care for.
"(i.e., Gaga had already been there-done that)"
Are you texting from the 90s or just living in Indiana?
"There's only two songs..."
- I think this albums great, and didn't care for Born This Way. I agree with the poster that isn't feeling Aura and Venus, but most of the others are fun and inventive, especially Gypsy SexxDreams Fashion Do What You Want Mary Jane Holland Applause and of course Dope which is a beautiful heartfelt ballad. I think she managed to build on her old sound while also being original and experimental, and doesn't take herself too seriously. I really wasn't sure whether I was gonna like this but I do. It also has a cohesiveness that you can only get from a true artist that creates their own material as opposed to other current female pop stars who are manufactured.
- [quote] madbot is obviously drinking and posting now.
She is nutty. Anytime there's a thread of another female singer that's a threat to Madonna's throne, madbot shits all over it. Madbot's meltdowns are a joy to watch!
Oh, and madbot is The Streep Troll (for those of you who weren't aware of this fact).
- Gags is no threat to Madonna's throne. Her career is already on the decline. People are sick of her stunts. Fartplop is expected to sell a third of what BTW did in it's first week of release and less than MDNA's first week sales. It's a good thing Gags looks like a clown because she could get a job with Ringling Bros. when this whole pop star thing ends. But, frankly, given her drug habit she'll probably be dead in a few years.
- [quote] A - love it -- 29.166666666666668%
And DL'ers still have absolutely no taste whatsoever.
- I do think someone should tell GaGa she isn't really a dancer. It might put an end to her struggles to prove otherwise.
- Gosh some of you get tied up in knots of anger and silly flame throwing over an album of songs by a pop artist!
I am not a particular Gaga fan or Madonna fan. I like some of both of their music catalogues- Madonna's being much larger of course- since the 1980s.
Isn't it OK, in fact good, to enjoy music and let others enjoy the music they love too? Now I do not understand Britney Spears or Katie Perry or Taylor Swift particularly- but then I am not a 15 year old girl. I am sure they do not understand Tosca or Callas or Pavarotti etc.
Point is- it's all OK and you can be sure your tastes will evolve over time- and some stuff you will love forever (Smokey, Eagles, Aretha, Barbra, Joni, Judy Collins, Beatles, what is better than St Peppers or Revolver, Leontyn Price,- my God what a sound she made, any Puccini arias- the original power ballads.
If someone does not like what you like, does not mean what they like is puke- it tends to all be good in that it bring joy to the listener.
Now flame on- knock another down.
- I'm not exactly a fan, but I enjoy Gaga. The album is really underwhelming, though. I previewed the whole thing on iTunes, and there was only one song that made me think, "Wow, I need to download it immediately," and that was Gypsy.
- More songs on an album that I like than don't like and the album is a success to me. I love Swine, Artpop, Aura, Gypsy, Do What You Want, and Manicure. Could live without Fashion, Donatella, that Mary Jane song, and I hate Dope and the song with TI.
- The Jewels and Drugs with TI was truly awful.
- Uh oh, it's all over but the crying:
According to Hits Daily Double ArtFLOP is now expected to ONLY sell between 250-275k copies in it's first week of release.
To compare, Miley's Bangerz sold 270k in it's first week of release, while Katy Perry's Prism sold 286k. That's right, Gaga is selling LESS than Katy Perry now.
A reminder: MDNA sold 359k copies in it's first week of release back in March 2012.
- [quote]A reminder: MDNA sold 359k copies in it's first week of release back in March 2012.
And the majority of those copies were the ones that were given away for free to people who bought a concert ticket, which was a gimmick to inflate sales.
- I haven't heard the album, but I did hear her sing on Howard Stern the other day and she sounded great.
- But let's be real, a 250 k opening week after months of pre-orders coupled with a cult-like fanbase = insane 2nd week decline.
I can see this thing doing around 50 k next week.
She was fun! But now exhausted.
- At least the bitch has an actual singing voice behind all her madness, unlike Shitney Spears and Katy Perry. Why is everyone calling Gaga a "flop" when Britney's newest single "Perfume" didn't even crack the top ten on iTunes? At least Gaga's is a decent number for an album that hasn't produced a monster single like the others ("Roar", "We Can't Stop", "Royals", etc).
I wonder if her jazz album with Tony Bennett will bomb.
- Lady Gaga's collapse is complete, She'll NEVER be Queen of Pop.
- I find it hard to believe she'll only sell 150,000 US albums (she had 100 k in US pre-sales) for a 250k US first weeks sales total. In the UK, as of Tuesday night, she'd already sold 50k albums.
Not saying it isn't accurate, but it seems those numbers are under reported.
- Gaga is OVAH.
- What happened to the days when record companies released an album 3-4 weeks after the first single was released? It made much more sense that way. Instead, labels release 2 singles before they even release an album now and by that point it's been months of hype and people aren't interested anymore. This new marketing strategy doesn't make sense.
That said, the new album is plain and same old, same old.
- The album sucks, with only Applause, GUY and Sexxx Dreams as standout tracks. Everything else is shitty, cheesey (badly written for the little monsters to gobble up) and badly edited. Ah well.
- madbot started yet another thread based on the Examiner which = Wikipeda. The writer is fake. It uses a stock photo of an Asian woman for the writer's bio.
madbot, get some help.
- Even my teen age relatives think she stinks, ha. Loving how Perez took off the gloves and called her A DRUG ADDICT, LOL!! Love love love that he finally grew some balls and stopped sitting on the knowledge that she is JUNKIE, obviously.
You fanbots and shills have an uphill battle cause she is silding down, her Q rating is in the toilet, she can't lose 20 pounds like she used to and is using her song Applause for a damn KIA car commerical.
Again, tired bitch makes Miley look edgy and fresh, its a wrap you infantile tweekers need to take a nap.
- r131, The jews? What about the jews?
- ‘Dope’ storms onto Billboard Hot 100, ‘Applause’ holds strong
Lady Gaga has two entries in the top ten of this week’s Billboard Hot 100.
Mother Monster’s “Dope” makes an impressive debut on the chart at no. 8, thanks to over eight million views of her performance at the YouTube Music Awards last week. The Rick Rubin-produced ballad, which serves as a promotional single from Gaga’s just-released album ARTPOP, marks Gaga’s thirteenth top ten hit on the Billboard Hot 100.
The album’s lead single “Applause” holds strong at no. 10. Released in August, the song has spent its entire chart run inside the top ten and has sold over 1.8 million copies in the United States alone.
- R133, MDNA was NOT given away for free with a concert ticket. You had to pay $11 for the CD. I know because I had to pay it. So, once again, you are full of shit.
As far as gimmicks go, GaFlop invented them when she sold her last album on Amazon for 99cents a copy to boost sales. This triggered a new rule by Billboard that sales of CDs priced less than $3.59 would not be counted in over-all sales.
FlopGa originated this deception and she has paid dearly for it.
- madbot is shitting himself.
- R138, you state that Gaga sold 100,000 in pre-orders and then go ahead and link to music week which says absolutely NOTHING about 100,000 preorder ARTPOP sales.
Why do you feel it is necessary to pull such huge numbers out of your ass and publicly lie about them and make yourself look like such a damn fool?
- I love how madbot's author on the fake Examiner site was proven to be fake.
- madbot is putting the bullets into his revolver.
- [quote]MDNA was NOT given away for free with a concert ticket. You had to pay $11 for the CD.
Honey, that's a scam. She also gave the album away with purchases of her shitty perfume. She, like Gaga, got called out, and the rules had to be changed yet AGAIN.
MDOA had the biggest drop in 2nd week sales in the history of Soundscan.
- R142, your prejudice is showing!
Angela Cheng, the writer for The Examiner, has been writing for that magazine for several years now. If you took your little monster fingers out of your ears, eyes and butthole you would realize that.
Asian stock photo! You have no shame, girlyboy.
- Metacritic has the album clocking in at 64/100.
- R145 makes us all laugh again with his attempt to equate "views" on the internet with actual purchases of a song!
As we all know, Gaga was caught making her Applause youtube video loop around and around again to garner additional "views" and was called on the carpet by Billboard.
Gaga is over. Every attempt she makes to remain relevant seems to blow up in her face.
- Have a listen to the Lady's utter crap "Venus".
She takes great pride in writing this crap in 4/4 time in the key of plain old C.
Mars! Venus! Neptune! Pluto! Uranus!
They should give awards for such depth.
- [italic][R142], your prejudice is showing!
Angela Cheng, the writer for The Examiner, has been writing for that magazine for several years now. If you took your little monster fingers out of your ears, eyes and butthole you would realize that.
Asian stock photo! You have no shame, girlyboy.[/italic]
First off, F&F.
Second, it was already proven. Angela Cheng is actually Claude Fraser. Is that you Claude?
You should also read the other articles written by them.
- madbot, how many threads did you start today? We already handed you your ass, honey.
- I'm LOVING this album. VENUS is fucking awesome. SEXX DREAMS is fucking awesome. AURA is fucking awesome. DO WHAT YOU WANT is fucking awesome. DOPE, G.U.Y., ARTPOP...it's just a fucking amazing record. She is artistically so far ahead of the Katys and the Britneys that it's a shame.
Can't wait to see her perform DO WHAT YOU WANT with R. Kelly on the AMAs, and her hosting/music gig on SNL this weekend.
- "ARTPOP is a portrait of an artist at her prime"
Lady Gaga opens ARTPOP by posing a critical question to the listener, her “cosmic lover”: “Do you want to peek underneath the cover?” If your answer is anything less than a resounding hell yes – head for the hills, quick. You’ve been forewarned. Gaga’s third full-length studio album is no peek, but a full-frontal exhibition of her psyche in all its batshit glory.
The girl who lives behind the aura,” on the other hand, is Stefani Germanotta, a supremely canny, talented, and bruised artist. Years of hijinks have taken their toll. It seems as if Gaga now only inspires derision – or worse, indifference – from all outside her cult of Little Monsters. I, too, used to dismiss her outright, and even relished each harsh criticism regularly lobbed her way: sexless Madonna wannabe, weirdo provocateur, brazen kleptomaniac. That is, until I reviewed Born This Way, her terrific 2011 sophomore album (which, admittedly, tended to buckle under its own heft), and began to perceive Gaga anew. A few months later, I was introduced to the woman buried under the wigs in a revelatory interview with Howard Stern on his SiriusXM radio show. By the time Germanotta performed “The Edge of Glory,” solo with grand piano, I was left rapt, deep in the back pocket of her black-leather hot pants. Here was an artist and musician who could have flourished in any number of respectable genres (take your pick). Germanotta instead chose a radical route – to inject Pop Art into the artifice of pop. Taking a new moniker from a Queen song (with a thunder-clapping wink), she consequently strode atop the Hot 100 in Alexander McQueen stilettos and a beekeeper’s suit.
Stefani Germanotta’s alter-ego detonates like a supernova throughout ARTPOP, a truly bonkers album aimed squarely at the mainstream, ready or not. (I suspect not.) Sonically, ARTPOP picks up where Lady Gaga’s phenomenal EP The Fame Monster left off. Born This Way’s guitar bombast rears its rawk head every so often, and Gaga takes a few detours, both welcome (splendid piano balladry) and failed (disastrous hip-hop). But ARTPOP mostly booms with familiar four-on-the-floor electronic dance. Gay scenesters across the land may now roar with a collective hallelujah.
Lady Gaga’s utter lack of self-restraint sets ARTPOP apart from her earlier work (ruminate on that for a moment). The Fame’s chilly remove and Born This Way’s self-help bluster are thoroughly exorcised. For once, Gaga’s quotidian performance-art stunts can be heard in the sound of her music: ARTPOP brims with blindingly vivid, jubilantly executed, idiosyncratic pop. Gaga sings with deadpan flair and full drag-show drama, when she’s not bleeding her vocal cords dry in a soaring holler. Song lyrics vary from playful and comical (“I know that mom and dad think I’m a mess/ But it’s alright because I am rich as piss”), to piercing and emotionally naked (“Been hurting low from living high for so long”). More often than not, her words stick their landing. Any hack can be provocative and weird with substandard material (entire genres are built around that premise, after all). Only a visionary would be willing to take such exquisitely wrought melodies, so fit for popular consumption, and subvert them for the sake her art.
ARTPOP may be marred by some missteps – the obvious Bowie homage “Fashion!” and the forgettable “Sexxx Dreams” – and sinks to a career-worthy nadir on “Jewels and Drugs.” Also, did Gaga have to telegraph her intent so literally with the album’s title, in ALL CAPS no less? These flaws aside, this is not just another collection of pop songs. Lady Gaga aspires for the sort of greatness her peers couldn’t fathom, let alone attempt. (I doubt Miley Cyrus has even heard of Clarence Clemons or Brian May; both were prominently featured on Born This Way.) Make no mistake – ARTPOP is a portrait of an artist at her prime.
Strike through the kaleidoscopic swirl of ARTPOP and you’re bound to hit a melody that could rival “Paparazzi” and “Bad Romance.” “Aura” and “Venus,” ARTPOP’s opening knockout, contain Gaga’s strongest choruses on the album and maybe to date. Plucked from its context, the plaintive call at the center of “Aura” represents the year’s finest pop moment. A close runner-up would be the exuberant hook that rockets “Venus” upward. ARTPOP concludes by slowing to a gorgeous halt (“Dope”), building up grandiosity (“Gypsy”), and then tying a bow around itself with a club-ready manifesto (“Applause”). In between, we encounter Gaga at her brashest (“Swine”), slinkiest (“Artpop”), and most sexually political (“Do What U Want”).
Lady Gaga opens ARTPOP by calling bullshit on herself and my entire review: “Enigma pop star is fun/ She wear burqa for fashion/ It’s not a statement as much as just a move of passion.” Is that not the central doubt that nags at us all when we evaluate the worthiness of contemporary art? Is Gaga being ironic? Is the snake swallowing its tail? Do we have to call in a philosopher to untangle this mess? Before you ponder any of the above questions, consider for a second what Katy Perry would have to say about all of this. [B+]
- R148, I was linking that she sold 50k in the UK as of Tuesday night, which I also brought up in my post. I don't have the link about the 100k of pre-orders, but I read it in the LA Times. I will try and find it... I really don't give care how many records she sells or doesn't, but when I read that she was only projected to sell 250k, it read as false to me.
- SWEET JUSTICE!
Gaga is predicted to sell LESS ARTPOP than Madonna's MDNA!
Oh yeah! She's the Meryl Streep of music alright!
- madbot sounds fat.
- madbot just posted ANOTHER FAKE Examiner article. lmao
- Isn't R162 witty and clever? We only have to read that witty and clever remark every other day by some schmo in Indiana who still thinks it is fresh.
Boy, DL really attracts the losers in this world, like R162.
- madbot is now going on a rampage in yet another thread, proclaiming Madonna is the queen of pop.
- and madbot starts ANOTHER ONE.
- Yes, we're all losers. Meanwhile, you started 8 anti-Lady Gaga threads today.
- Bumping your own failed troll threads now, eh, madbot?
- R168, you've been trolldared. There is more yellow on this board than in all of China. You crazy, gurrl!
- Poor fucked up madbot. You started ten threads on her.
Can't wait for her to be #1 next week. You'll off yourself and then we won't have read your Madonna drivel.
You are not janbot. Deal.
- No doubt she'll be #1.
But where is the profit in that, if you are selling your work at the bargain basement price of $5.95? Who does that besides GaGa?
She'll whore herself out to be #1, on that we are in agreement.
- [quote]proclaiming Madonna is the queen of pop
Yeah, but she kind of is.
- r171 is still babbling away.
- r172, no she's not. She's musically irrelevant and is now a nostalgia act singing Like A Virgin night after night in her mid-50s.
- I am not the "mad bot" and I like both equally, but no one has chimed in on this thread re how eerily similar "Fashion" is to M's "Holiday". Talk about a rip off....
- R175 is quite right. Gaga continues to be influenced by Madonna to the point of ripping-off Madonna's music ONCE AGAIN!
It doesn't matter. After this ArtPop fiasco, Lady Gaga will become Lady Who?
- I like her way better when it's just her and her piano... I still liked it though.
- R177, in that Howard Stern interview, he said the same thing and she hinted that she might do just that next time, with Rick Ruben producing. She really needs to do that. I like Artpop, but it does suffer from being too produced.
- Pop Emergency: Gaga's Artpop is Flopping Real Bad!
Submitted by TheDreamer on November 14th, 2013 – Flag this news as inappropriate
Just as when the little monsters are laughing when Katy Perry's Prism had a mediocre debut a few weeks ago, the karma is in them now. Not even Lady Gaga's highly overhyped album could overtake Katy's mediocre sales. And now, the KatyKats (Katy's fanbase is having a field day again in the music forum ATRL). The overhyped predictions of the monsters for Artpop's opening sales went as much as 500,000 to more than a million saying it is the album of the millenium. Truth is, based on presales yesterday it was predicted to do 275,000 and now it keeps getting lower to a mere 240,000. The decline and decay is real and by this rate she would be irrelevant in the next two years. She could always be the opener of Katy Perry's Prism Tour next year!
Photo Credits: TheDreamer's Logo
Lady Gaga's 'ARTPOP' Loses Steam, Sales Projections Fall Below 275k
Njai JoszorThursday, November 14, 2013 Comments
Lady Gaga's anticipated album, "ARTPOP," is not doing as well as previously thought.
According to new projections, the album will fall well below expectations from earlier this week that placed it with a no.1 charting debut and sales at or near 350,000 copies.
Based on sales from Monday forward, trusted sources say the "Applause" and "Do What U Want" led album will sell around 260,000 copies first week.
No doubt a blow for Gaga, who has been promoting the album heavily this week, the total will still place her among this year's pack of strong sellers including Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus, but far short of her last album, Born This Way's over 1 million selling debut.
Gaga will continue to promote this album throughout the month with appearances and performances, including a set at the 2013 American Music Awards.
- madbot just started two more anti-Lady Gaga threads. In them, he doesn't understand Google Play, saying that they're going to be stuck with the album if they don't lower the price and then, not surprisingly, screams that Madonna is the queen.
I think madbot has started 12 threads in less than two days.
Can't wait until this idiot is banned.
- Her interview with Stern yesterday was fantastic. She comes off as very real and candid.
- What does very real actually mean?
- She needs to release Gypsy as her next single. That will be huge. I just read this article saying that Sound Scan "album" sales are going the way of the dinosaur and what they might start doing is counting 10 sales of any one single as an "album" sale. They used Miley's Bangerz as their example. If you count up her album sales + every 10 purchased singles of Wrecking Ball and We Can't Stop, her first week sales would have been 750,000k. I would imagine Katy Perry and Lady Gaga would have similar numbers. It was a very interesting read... I'll try and find the link.
- I still don't get why some fans are so wrapped up in sales, chart position, radio airplay to make a single huge. Are they such social outcasts that such stats give them a feeling of social validation when their fave act sells well? And what about the following week's sales? Acts like Gaga and Madonna have huge fan bases who buy the first week, but then have serious falls the following week because the album and/or songs primarily appeal to the fanbase and not the more casual fan or someone who's just likes an appealing song.
- R185, I think it comes to Hype v. Reality.
When you come to DL and have to read that Gaga is the Queen of this and the Meryl of that---you expect something out of all that.
Supposedly she is a miracle lyricist, musician extraordinaire. And then....then you get VENUS below on ArtPop.
"Mars! Venus! Jupiter! Neptune! Uranus!
My ass is famous!" all written in an unremarkable 4/4 time in the key of C.
What do you think of this?
- r185 you're right to a certain extent, but I think sales are used by people to justify the popularity of their faves and to gauge the cultural impact. I must admit that these first week numbers threw me for a loop, but it really doesn't matter. I adore this album. I personally am not a little monster or whatever but I'm really, really enjoying the music and who she is as an artist right now. And next year she'll go on tour and I will HAPPILY shell out $300 for those tickets because tours are what really matter anyways.
- Mother Monster is influenced more by Whitny Huston than that old bitch Madonna.
"Whitny Huston". Uhh-huh. Time to turn your bottle of Gin in and go to bed, little pink monster.
- [quote]When you come to DL and have to read that Gaga is the Queen of this and the Meryl of that---you expect something out of all that.
And by "you", you mean whom exactly?
- R190= the consummate example of an asshole on DL
- Brilliant album. The only false note is that rap/hip hop number. It's her most musically cohesive album to date. Hope it sells well.
- I agree with R187. DL had sort of turned my into a Gaga stan, but I'm not really. The internet has made liking a pop star a competitive sport. It's Madonna v Gaga v Katy Perry v Rihanna v Britney v Whoever. It's ridiculous and arrested, but I've got sucked into it a few times.
This is a great pop record (at least to me). It has its flaws, for sure. But overall, I think I only like Lorde's CD better. But it's fine if others don't care for it.
R86, Venus isn't my favorite song, but writing a pop song in 4/4 time in the key of C doesn't mean Gaga doesn't know how to write a good song. Not every song needs to be in F# with a bridge that has chords in sevenths and ninths to be considered "good". Some of the best songs of all time are three power chords.
- Thank you r191. I have been here for many years, so your compliment is pleasing to me.
Of course I am not surprised that trolldar-ing you makes this thread light up in yellow. I bet you really hate that feature, don't you?
- The songs on this album are great. I love her music because it always has great hooks and big, powerful choruses, and this album definitely delivers on that front. Plus, the girl can SANG!
- R194, you can be a Troll and follow me around for eternity. I don't give a shit. Why should I? It only makes you look like more of an asshole, especially when you come here to brag about it.
- The one thing that Gaga should appropriate from Madonna is the role of Evita.
Gaga was born to play Eva Peron. She kind of does already, but her descamisados are a different underclass. She loves her monsters, and exploits them well. She looks like Peron, dead or alive, and could sing the hell out of that score.
Next stop, off Broadway.
- You know that is not a bad idea at all.
Gaga is homily enough to play Evita, she is as small as a pygmy like Evita, but most importantly she has that hugely noticeable overbite just like Evita.
Good idea, buddy. Are you in Hollywood?
- Don't cry for me, bitches.
- THE GUARDIAN on Gaga's career decline:
***Lady Gaga faces battle to remain No 1 as Artpop crawls to top of the charts
Lady Gaga, it seems, will chalk up her third No 1 album on Sunday. On the face of it, it's a triumph. But this may not be the continuation of an imperial phase and could be the start of a new period in the career of Stefani Germanotta.
The portents for Gaga's comeback have not been encouraging. Her last tour failed to sell out, advance reviews of her new album, Artpop, were decidedly mixed, and its first single dropped out of the chart almost as soon as it went in. On top of that, the singer had made dark comments about feeling "tormented" by the "corporate" music industry.
There have been rumblings, in the media and industry, for some time that Gaga, despite having sold 24m albums, might face a challenge to retain her level of success, and that some recent upsets could suggest that both she and the public had tired of the star known to her fans – the "Little Monsters" – as Mother Monster. Earlier this month she parted company with her influential manager, Troy Carter, with the inevitable "creative differences" being cited. Carter was said to have felt liberated by the break. Shortly before Artpop's release this week, the production duo Infected Mushroom, who contributed a song, revealed they felt "compromised" by the "cheesiness" of the result and asked for the band's name to be removed from the credits.***
Full article at the link. This is not the Examiner or some random blog. This is THE GUARDIAN. Let's see the Little Ghouls try to justify this.
- It bears repeating: Gaga peaked with The Fame Monster (specifically Bad Romance). The upside is that if her cult-like fanbase remains loyal she should have a Cyndi Lauper-like career. Just not Madonna-like.
- It really does not bear repeating. Nothing in this thread does. Quit bumping it.
- Nobody is forcing you to read this thread, dumbass.
- [quote]This forever A list diva interacted as little as possible with this current A list celebrity/singer/diva in training who wanted to hang out with the superstar. The superstar told her to come back in a few years when she had not been copying someone and when she was off the drugs and off the shock. I'm guessing shock meant shock value. Would make sense.
[italic]Barbra Streisand and Lady Gaga "Glamour’s 2013 Women of the Year Awards"[/italic]
I love Babs!
- R200, that article doesn't make any sense. "Applause" has been in the Top 10 since August. It's not "Roar", but it's an indisputable hit single.
- R200, your post is devastating news. And it doesn't even touch upon the lawsuit Gaga's personal assistant has lodged against her or Gaga's own admitted heavy drug use.
She is deeply troubled not only her personal life but in her professional life. She once evoked wonder but now evokes guffaws of laughter with her desperate attempts for attention and fame---her crazy get-ups and her most recent "flying suit" fiasco emblematic of her decline.
With every musical release, she becomes more and more irrelevant. It's actually quite sad.
- madbot has started 12 threads on this girl trashing her. madbot needs mental help.
- R193, who the fuck would write in F# Major?? Give us a break.
- I liked Gaga's debut and early singles. When The Fame/Monster (or what it was called) came out, I lost interest. Somehow Lady Gaga has managed to capture the magic of her first album. Even surpassed it. Artpop is much better than Katy's new album.
- It is a good record, despite it's lack of sales and the haters/spammers. Dope is Number 8 and if she releases Gypsy, I imagine that will be a top 10 hit as well. 3 top 10 hits, plus a well reviewed 4 single (DWYW) is quite impressive.
I think Gaga will be better served NOT being the biggest pop star in the world. She's is too off-center to sustain that and I agree that she does come off a bit desperate in trying to remain there. But she can have a long career, in a way that Katy Perry or Miley won't, because she actually is talented. She can do an acoustic album or a jazz album or an album of ballads or whatever. I think once she no longer has to worry about being the top dog, might allow her to take a look back and maximize her potential.
- OK, awkward confession time. I'm the OP of this thread.
And guess what... I listened a 2nd and 3rd time to the album, and really like it now. Fave song at the moment is Manicure. And the sound, throughout album, is absolutely a treat on headphones. She worked with some superb producers on this.
And I totally agree, word for word, with R210. The Gaga/Tony Bennett duet video said a lot about her versatility as an artist.
- From GAZETTE:
More misses than hits.
"ARTPOP" feels like one gigantic, overproduced audio mess. If you haven't already jumped aboard the S.S. Gaga, "ARTPOP" isn't going to make you want to do so any time soon."
Everywhere you go online, you can't seem to escape these hideous reviews for ArtPop, they are all over the fucking place.
- Meanwhile, the hideous reviews for ArtPop keep rolling, rolling, rolling in!
- It's like Lady Gaga is this generation's Tiny Tim.
- Half of the replies in this thread belong to trollina r214.
- Oh...shut up, r213.
- R206/R208/R212/R213/R214 is the most annoying DL troll in recent memory.
- I don't get why this mentally illl anti-gaga troll isn't banned yet? What do we have to do? I'm sure ff has been hit more than enough times already
- R218, Let me explain it to you.
The moderator's of Datalounge hate Gaga with equal venom.
- [quote]she should have a Cyndi Lauper-like career. Just not Madonna-like.
Oh please. Lady Gaga is on another level. She's already at that status where she will certainly be considered on a level ala Madonna and Janet 20 years from now. She is the only one of her peers who is consistantly talked about, debated, and interviewed by everyone from Oprah to Barbara. She hobnobs with the Eltons and the Springsteens. She's adored on both sides of the Atlantic, and is a celebrity amongst celebrities (Perez Hilton, Adam Levine and Xtina shade or used to shade her out of jealousy and Howard Stern, Oprah and Anderson Cooper adore her). She's polarizing, and gets people talking whether they love or hate what she's doing. All those things make up the prime recipe for becoming a future legend.
By the way, I am fucking in LOVE with "Venus".
- Oh god, that annoying thing at R196 is back again?? Mods PLEASE ban that stupid motherfucker.
- The album is epic. She doesn't need the gimmicks anymore but I think she's a creature of habit.
- This is the album Madonna would have put out if she actually cared about making music nowadays.
My favorite tracks:
ManiCure (What Blondie should sound like if releasing music now)
Do What You Want (People want a track sans R.Kelly but it would spoil this amazing!!?
- Someone should tell R218 that his FF key was disabled 2 months ago.
- What drugs is she on?
- "The moderator's of Datalounge hate Gaga with equal venom."
Have you seen the number of hate-filled Madonna threads started on DL? These Gags threads pale in comparison. Grow some balls, Little Ghoul.
- Dear Gagastans - the world is laughing at you.
No one outside of queens with hideously bad taste even consider that coked up whore for a second.
- Don't worry, R218. I make it a point to FF every post that troglodyte puts up, even in non-GAGA threads.
- There is nothing more pitiful than an overweight, middle aged gay man who is envious that a younger, more talented woman (Gaga) has usurped his queen, a woman who used to be considered the queen of pop (Madonna).
- Half of the album is really good! DWUW, Venus, Artpop, GUY (Love Game part 2), Sex Dreams, Fashion are all on heavy rotation. Still, her career would be better off had ArtPop been her next release after The Fame Monster. Born this Way was such a doozy.
- "There is nothing more pitiful than an overweight, middle aged gay man who is envious that a younger, more talented woman (Gaga) has usurped his queen, a woman who used to be considered the queen of pop (Madonna)."
Gaga has not usurped Madonna in any way. Her career is already on the decline, just 5 years after it began. Album sales down. Ticket sales down. Public interest down.
- I think Artpop is a Lady Gaga's most fun to hear album. Everyone agree?
- Gets way better with multi listening...loving it now
- I agree R232 and R233. It's a fun CD and with each listen it gets better. She is at the top of her game.
- [quote]Gaga has not usurped Madonna in any way
Really? Well, she has a number 1 album and everyone talking about her (bad or good)--i.e. things that Madonna used to do, so...
What's more, with each tv appearance she proves that she has more talent in her pinky than Madonna ever had in her entire being.
- Only really like 'Sexxx Dreams' and 'Donatella'.
- R233 and R234, so one has to force theself to like it?
- Madonna's PR stunts seemed designed to keep her looking edgy in spite of her having a huge audience. Being popular with a general audience is the kiss of death with territorial teens, pop's only reliable consumer.
Gaga's career to date has been nothing but a succession of stunts, which kept her in the news in spite of her lack of general popularity.
I remember the tabs reporting every detail of Madonna's personal life for about 15 years, '84-around 2000. Tabs are ruthless, if it sells they'll print it. Gaga? They report her PR stunts. There's no general interest in this woman. That's reason #1 her career is already in steep decline.
- It's hilarious the way that Gaga fans think that just because Gaga has a number 1 album (although, that's not actually verified for Artpap) that she has "usurped" Madonna. As though no one else has ever had a no 1 album or been talked about a lot. Oh, and Gaga has to go make a huge effort to keep herself the focus of public attention and ger her albums to hit the number 1 spot.
R235, honey, let's talk about this in 2040, when Gaga will be the same age as Madge is now. If Gaga is then still as much a part of the cultural landscape as Madge is today at 55, then we can start to compare them. In any case, Gaga after three albums is nowhere near the standard that Madge had achieved after three albums.
True Blue - still fabulous after all these years.
- "Oh, Merle! Have you heard? Gaga has a new album out that will change the Universe! Let's get on DataLounge TODAY and swoon over it as if we know what we are talking about!
And don't forget to FF everyone who doesn't agree now and use lots of LOLs and ROTFLMAO things like that! See you later at the mall!"
- "Really? Well, she has a number 1 album and everyone talking about her (bad or good)--i.e. things that Madonna used to do, so..."
Madonna is 30 years into her career. Gaga is only 5 years famous. Get back to me if Gaga has that kind of longevity. 5 years into her career, Madonna was about to release her Like A Prayer album. Do you really want to compare Artpop to Like A Prayer?
- Am I reading iTunes Charts correctly that her album is at #88?
- Pfftt, oh, please, R239. The year 2040? You're reaching, honey. Madonna is only in pop culture now because she refuses to act her advanced age and is desperate to keep up with the likes of a Lady Gaga, who, as someone else said, has usurped her in the pop culture lexicon.
[quote]Gaga after three albums is nowhere near the standard that Madge had achieved after three albums
Really? Gaga already has several artists copying her (Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Ke$ha, Xtina), she's a fashion and pop culture icon after just five years of being on the scene, she hobnobs with the upper echelon in the music industry (Cher, Elton John, Bruce Springsteen), has a bevy of stars who adore her (Oprah, Cyndi Lauper, Howard Stern, Anderson Cooper, Beyonce), and some who don't (Bette Midler, Grace Jones, Adam Levine, Perez Hilton), and some who are just plain jealous (MANdonna--it wasn't a good look for a woman of 55 to consistantly verbally shade a woman who is half her age just because said woman is more talented and popular than her). Add to that her strong hold on the media (they can't stop talking about her whether or not they're saying good or bad things, which doesn't matter, because they're talking), her rabid fan base on both sides of the Atlantic, her award wins, successful tours, millions of records sold and I think it's sufficient to say that comparing what Madonna had accomplished in 1986 vs. what Gaga has already accomplished is a moot point.
- [quote]5 years into her career, Madonna was about to release her Like A Prayer album
And she couldn't get another US #1 album until more than a decade later, with MUSIC. After LIKE A PRAYER she fell off--BIG TIME.
- R244 is right. Madonna in the early to mid 90s was falling fast. It's the way Americans are with our stars. We build up, then knock down. Gaga is going through that now. And just like Erotica is now considered a damn good record, so will Artpop in retrospect.
Gaga is going to be just fine. Because after we knock them down, we as Americans then love a good comeback story (see: Madonna's Ray of Light).
- 244, Madonna followed up Like A Prayer with the biggest hit of her career (Vogue), the highest grossing movie of her career, the biggest scandal of her career (Justify My Love), and a greatest hits album that's sold more copies in the US than all 4 of Gaga's albums combined (not including her current flop).
And this is 1990 im talking about. Hell, Gaga's career-to-date dosent stack up to 1 year in that old bitch's press file.
- R245, Ray Of Light was an awesome album, that's why she "came back".
- How was Ray Of Light a "comeback album"? Her previous disc was the Evita soundtrack. From the movie she won a golden globe for.
Her disc before that was Bedtime Stories, home to her longest running #1 single, Take A Bow. She sandwiched a 2nd greatest hits collection between those 2. it's sold roughly what The Fame has in the 5 years its been available.
- Could we please have more discussion about Madonna's past album sales versus Gaga's? We are just not discussing this enough. For example I simply must know if Madonna sold more records in March 1991 than Gaga did in January 2012. More Madonna Gaga talk oh please.
- Fat elderly Madonna queens are still living in the past as evident by this thread.
- Is it 1989?
- Gaga's #1 in the UK knocking Eminem out of the top spot.
- The Gagastans have become strangely silent. I wonder if they have been wiped out by the tornados and power outages in the midwest. That would be tragic. We should all say a prayer.
- ArtPop PLUMMETS to #81 on iTunes!!!!
It is officially OVER!! LOOK!
- It's going to be the number 1 album, R254. Relax.
- Yeah, #1, all we have to do is turn the chart upside down! Thanks R255!
- Wow! I guess this thread didn't go the way the OP had intended it.
- Idiot at R254 doesn't know that for iTunes positions nobody should check that site. Apple doesn't update it... Check from the iTunes Store app on your PC of apple device. ARTPOP is still at #2 behind Eminem...
- R257 - yeah, I forgot how much these OCD Dataloungers like to bark and bark and bark and bark about chart statistics. I was more interested in what actual humans on DL thought of the music itself.
- R258, it does INDEED update! In fact, it updated this morning when it Artpop plummeted from #21 to #88. I would call that quite an update!
- It's a solid album. Some really great songs esp the r Kelly duet. And please, applause is a huge hit.
I still can't believe no one agrees with me that fashion sounds like holiday.
- [quote]I still can't believe no one agrees with me that fashion sounds like holiday.
Just popped over to iTunes and loaded the sample and agree 100% with you.
- Yes, very similar chord progression. I like it though for that reason; it's very "up" and breezy and fun.
- People like r243 are so, so stupid.
Honey, just because you have a Gaga dependency, doesn't mean popular culture appraises her in the same way you do. Sure, we're currently being subject to her latest 25 million dollar marketing campaign and so her Fartplop is difficult to escape from, but if you crawled out from under your Gaga-world shell, you'd see that she's not impressing that much.
Oh, and scoring the highest-grossing tour of 2012 is hardly a sign of being "desperate". Nearly 30 years after Madge's first concert tour, I'd say that's pretty darn impressive and any attempts to claim Gags has "usurped" Madge in the pop culture lexicon are delusional.
More to the point, why does one have to usurp the other? Because they are both female? Or because Gaga is patently trying to usurp Madonna's position, however much her Little Monster idiots try to deny that?
- [quote]Or because Gaga is patently trying to usurp Madonna's position, however much her Little Monster idiots try to deny that?
Not hard to "usurp" what is wide open and available because it has been lazily forfeited.
- Lady Gaga gives Madonna a taste of her own medicine. I fucking love it!
- Madonna is the biggest copycat in the history of entertainment.
- Just listened to ARTPOP. The album is a mixed bag.
A few treats, a few duds.
Dope, Gyspy, Sex Dreams, Artpop, Fashion, and the R. Kelly duet Do What U Want are my favorites. The rest I can do without.
- We all have to laugh at R267, still waving that disproven judiciary report again and again like a white flag of surrender!
- [quote]We all have to laugh at [R267], still waving that disproven judiciary report again and again like a white flag of surrender!
Disproven? In your WILDLY deluded dreams. Everyone knows MANdonna had ripped everyone off from Monroe to Blondie.
- [quote]Honey, just because you have a Gaga dependency
Nope, I just like making idiots like you eat your words. Although I will admit that her new record is extremely infectious.
[quote]you'd see that she's not impressing that much
Compared to who? When you sell a million the first week out, as Gaga did with her last CD, there's pretty much nowhere to go but down anyway. She's #1 in the US and the UK and you will just have to suck it up, take it in and DEAL with it.
[quote]Or because Gaga is patently trying to usurp Madonna's position
As what, a desperate, old, washed-up hag who doesn't dress or act her age (even though she MORE than looks it)? Gaga said it best in the Howard Stern interview:
[italic]"There’s always this pissing match: ‘She’s taking her torch, is she the new her, is she going to outlast her or not? There’s this thing with some people that I’m a threat to the throne. I don’t want your fucking throne! No thanks! I have my own! I actually don’t want a throne at all, because I don’t view myself as a queen, I view myself as one of my fans."[/italic]
Don't worry, Gaga. Whether you know it or not, you've already taken the thrown and planted your supple round ass right in the seat.
The #1 album on both sides of the world
- My favorite part of all of this?
Eminem is going to block her from #1 in the states.
You heard me.
In 2010, his last album opened with 740k. His 2nd week was 313 k.
His new album did 790k last week.
On Wednesday, based on Tuesday sales, the label estimated 250-275k for Gaga and 225-250k for Eminem. Then on Thursday they lowered the estimates for artpop to 240-260k and claimed "incomplete data" when asked about Em.
IMO, Gaga's gonna do around 230k and Em will be Between 280-320k.
- [quote]My favorite part of all of this?
Why would that be your favorite part in all of this? What's in it for you where she debuts on the charts? You people are more than pitiful.
- The album is atrociously mediocre, and most songs are unlistenable - they appear to be fragments of several melodies mashed together under the agglutinating power of an evenly noisy production.
The only decent song is Do What U Want. The rest is not even mediocre.
- R274 has ZERO taste.
- What's in it 4 me? Watching the hateful little monsters meltdown.
- Actually, he won't R272.
Gaga will debut with a #1 album. You may say the numbers suck, blah blah blah, but Em is not going to block her number 1.
- [quote]What's in it 4 me? Watching the hateful little monsters meltdown.
Hateful? No one is more hateful than Madongatha the Wicked Witch and her evil fanbase of gay drones.
And it will be #1. I can't wait for you to choke on your own envy.
- They're about to dance to Gaga on DANCING WITH THE STARS. The woman is everywhere. She IS pop culture.
- I don't give a shit about Gaga or Madonna, but since Eminem is a homophobic asshole I'd root for either of them over him.
- R279, etc. you really are a twit and, although you don't realise it, hugely embarrassing yourself.
Dancing with the Stars isn't the epitome of pop culture and, besides, various entertainers and performers are on it all the fucking time. "Being everywhere" is about marketing. Being number 1 is not really a reflection of artistic greatness but is instead mostly about marketing and sales tactics. Gaga is a boring fart. You are very stupid.
- "They're about to dance to Gaga on DANCING WITH THE STARS. The woman is everywhere. She IS pop culture."
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! My sides hurt.
- [quote]R279, etc. you really are a twit and, although you don't realise it, hugely embarrassing yourself
Said the pot to the kettle.
[quote]Gaga is a boring fart
No. What she IS is a current pop phenom with a number 1 album. And you are sitting in your living room in your apartment in Loserville, West Bumfuck, typing about her on a fucking internet forum. You epitomize FAILURE.
[quote]You are very stupid.
Again, pot meet kettle. Get lost, bitch.
- [quote]BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! My sides hurt.
Well, after that, I flipped the channel and the APPLAUSE video was on, so...
Yes, she IS everywhere, and you will stay butthurt about it
- [quote]Being number 1 is not really a reflection of artistic greatness but is instead mostly about marketing and sales tactics.
That's right, r281. Madonna's #1 tour was just over hyped drivel. Her record sales mean shit.
- I regretted the day I bought Madonna's MDNA such dreck (except for Gand Bang). Subsequently I skipped her tour too. Was not going to spend my cash on her singing atrocious songs. As a Madonna fan I expected more from her. It seems like she doesn't care anymore.
- That's OK, R270.
She deducted your $160 nose-bleed tickets from her $340 million haul of loot, and she wants me to tell you she thinks she can get by without it.
- Hey GaGaStan, Let's call it quits on this thread. No one is getting anywhere and I think we've flung enough shit at each other to keep us purring at least until the next...umm..week, I mean century.
You love yours. I love mine. And never the twain shall meet. If we can agree on that, we can move on with life.
- JUST IN FROM FORBES:
***Lady Gaga and Madonna have a superstar rivalry made in gossip-blog heaven. The former burst onto the scene five years ago with a provocative pop sensibility reminiscent of the latter’s. Last year, Madonna accused Gaga of ripping off one of her songs; this year, the “Born This Way” singer insisted she doesn’t want the Material Girl’s throne.
From an earnings perspective, however, there’s no question over the winner of this battle’s latest round. The honor goes to Madonna, who pulled in $125 million over the past year, making her the highest-paid musician in the world. The bulk of Madge’s millions came from the tail end of her MDNA Tour, which grossed $305 million. She augments her income with heady merchandise sales at concerts, as well as her Material Girl clothing line and Truth or Dare fragrance.***
- [quote]this year, the “Born This Way” singer insisted she doesn’t want the Material Girl’s throne.
It's probably true. But it's fair to say Gaga may not have what it takes to sit on that throne for a sustained period of time. She was the Biggest Thing in 2009-2010 and earned it, those songs/videos were great, but she's also rather odd looking and beyond self-indulgent. We'll see what 2014 holds for her.
- I read a link to ONTD that said she's beginning to realize that all the stunts/outfits are hurting more than helping. I SO hope her next album is just her at a piano and I hope she allows someone to help her write/edit lyrics. "Dope" should be a huge hit, but the main line of the chorus is cringeworthy: "I need you more than dope".
I love Gaga, and I also have come to love Artpop, but I get why many people are "over" her. She is diluting her talent with all the tricks, which is a shame because she really is supremely talented.
- r289, Gaga is #2 on the list.
- It's too bad Madonna had to open her fat mouth repeatedly and trash her. She asked Gaga to join her on tour last year for a one-off surprise performance. Gaga turned it down. Madonna was pissed as hell and spent five minutes of her show trashing her. Madonna spoke about Gaga again last November in yet another interview. Her whole "reductive" comment was embarrassing. She was talking about a 20 year old girl. She's that threatened? The more Gaga didn't respond the angrier she got. A good ribbing is fine. Madonna actually hates her. I really hate it when women hate other women. Madonna should be happy if she inspired anybody. Madonna was "inspired" by anything and everything that came before her and during. It's extremely hypocritical on her part. Madonna doesn't get that she's been around long enough to be payed homage to. It's not like Gaga stealing from Rhianna. If you're going to pay homage to the past, Madonna is the past. Much of Old Hollywood was still alive when she took its imagery and made it her own. Madonna is that old now.
What I value about Gaga more than anything is that she's part of a genre that was made up of corporate creations for more than a decade now. I'm sick to death of Britney Spears and all her prototypes. Gaga's weird schtick makes money making the industry more willing to take risks again backing acts. Whether you like her music or not, there's a silver-lining to her existence, and not for anything, she's gotten an entire younger generation active in supporting gay rights not to mention true non-musical artists.
All people who become big have to be knocked down. It's right on schedule I guess.
- Gaga is a label creation too. Most artists signed to major labels are. Jazz and classic rock are the genres most suited to her style but she did dance-pop in order to be a commercial superstar.
- "She was talking about a 20 year old girl."
Bitch is pushing 30.
- [quote]Gaga is a label creation too.
No she isn't. She was a writer for others. She was a behind the scenes person for years.
[quote]Bitch is pushing 30.
"Born This Way" came out when she was 25. Madonna is more than twice her age.
- Gaga celebrating ARTPOP going platinum in Canada
- That's a cute outfit, but with the curves of her legs showing through the dress and with those shoes it makes her look like she's standing on stilts. She's looks about three feet tall.
- I'll always root for Gaga because she's the only one who is putting out anything even remotely interesting. I simply cannot contemplate living in a world where the biggest pop stars and fucking Katy Perry or Taylor Swift.
- Same here R299.
- I second R299. Gaga often tries too hard, but at least she's interesting. It's too bad Madonna stans and Gaga stans can't get along. They've been the only interesting "huge" pop stars in the last 30 years.
- R299 and R300
Listen to Beth Hart sometime, well now. I am not going to put down Gaga, but there are better songwriters, better singers and equally passionate performers. Beth Hart is not a POP singer or a circus act, but she is another antidote to the pop tarts.
Hart is the most under appreciated singer/songwriter performer in the US. She is valued most everywhere else in the world. She is forty, so some things are over that she went after, didn't want or fucked up real bad. She has been around a while...keep an open mind.
One more by Hart. Sister Heroine. She wrote this song for her dead HIV+ addicted sister. There is no irony here, but it is a rock/pop song. A bit Gaga. Hell of a voice and talent. Sexy chick.
- Hey M! I totally agree. So many better performers/singers out there in comparison to Gaga. But, Gaga somehow become the biggest pop star in the world and it was sort of cool to have such a huge star possess actual talent (even though less famous artists had/have more talent) compared to Britney, Rihanna, Katy, etc.
How've you been?
M is remarkably well. I try to think of you before I speak of Gaga, and because the bf likes her too. Macho Italian talk. I am good at it.
Can't be silly on this thread or some squad comes to drag me off. I love Bad Romance and Speechless. M is behind, the way boys like it.
I hope you are well and happy, J. I think of you whenever I am here. How are you? Did you read the last messages I left in our bottle? Did I guess right about your life?
- Thanks for asking, M. I'm happy, healthy, in love and I'm making a new record to boot. 2014 will be a good year for me.
Could not happen to a better guy, at a nicer time. I tend to invert sentences, as you know.
I am very happy to hear all good news about you. Have many celebrations and stay loved! It's a quiet thing, love. I will listen for your lyrics.
- Beth Hart *almost* broke through with "LA Song (Out of This Town)" in 1999. By that time the record labels's quest to find Alanis 2.0 had shifted to finding the next Britney. The late Shelby Starner was another young singer songwriter whose work has stood the test of time.
- I'm loving how all of the naysayers are quiet as mice now that Gaga's album is confirmed as #1 in the US as well as the UK. LOVING it.
- (that wasn't me at R306)
- R310, really?
My response was so finely crafted and sweet too. Fuck you at R306. I will beat you dead.
Real J, I will not beat you dead. I love you. What else is new?
- Yeah, we have an impostor. Kick his ass, M!
We should stick to my thread. DLers hate hijackers. I'll start a Dynamic Singers Part Deux...
- R309, with a 25 million dollar marketing campaign and all sorts of tricks being pulled, it's going to hit the number 1 spot. That doesn't mean it's the greatest album of 2013 or even a great album. It's about record industry marketing. "Number one" album doesn't mean anything. The best music probably doesn't get anywhere near the top levels of the charts.
Seriously, people who think that just because a pop album gets to the top of the charts then it must be great or even universally liked, are really fucking stupid.
In any case, it's not so clear that this album is selling in the huge quantities her fans are trying to claim. There is a lot of evidence, however, that people are fed up with the Gaga overyhype.
- This Beth Hart looks rode hard and put away wet. Yikes.
Beth Hart has been around since winning Star Search twenty years ago. She was an unlikely pop star, and never really was. She played Joplin off Broadway, and put out a few very good records in the late nineties. She was a heavy drug user. A lot of life hasn't been pretty for her. But she is open raw brave, a tough and generous performer. There is a beauty in that.
She is stunningly talented as a singer, pianist and songwriter. Listen to her albums My California, or the new Bang bang, boom boom. There is every kind of star in her voice, including POP. Luckily she loves to sing the blues. She is of the best in the world.
- Holy shit, Beth Hart is fucking amazing. Thanks for yet another find, M.
- "She was a heavy drug user."
Well, that explains the rode hard and put away wet look she's got going.
- Here is an example of another utterly psychotic frau with Gaga Derangement Syndrome.
The mousey frau tweets relentlessly against Gaga, while licking the anuses of Katy Perry and others.
- For an established act with a large fanbase, it's really second week sales that matter, not first week. First week is a reflection of the fanbase turning out to buy and the marketing campaign. Second week and subsequent weeks are a reflection of casual fans, new fans, and those who decide they want to buy the album because they like what they have heard so far on radio, streaming, etc. No one in their right mind thought that Artpop wasn't going to debut at #1 or at least #2 given Lady Gaga's large and devoted (and for a few fans-absolutely insane) fan base.
- [quote]For an established act with a large fanbase, it's really second week sales that matter, not first week.
Okay. Looking at past albums by established female solo acts that were #1 in their first week of sales. Second week sales for the Katy Perry album were 92,000. For Miley Cyrus, 72,000. Both albums are generally viewed as hits, not flops.
So if Gaga lands in that range, which is likely, will the detractors still keep barking "flop! flop!" ? Just wondering where the ever-moving yardstick is.
- Those here desperately trying to cover the titanic flop are the same who we're screaming what a flop MDNA was. Karma is a bitch, FartPlop is even a bigger flop, the numbers are the numbers. FARTPLOP SOLD LESS THAN MDNA. Make up all the excuses you want, this is the truth. And perhaps, likely even, if the miserable ghouls of hers weren't so vile and nasty, people like me would have bought the album and she would have done much better. The ghouls turned me off to Gaga, she's not even on my radar anymore.
- Lady Gaga claims 'ARTPOP' is a hit as album crashes and burns worldwide
November 19, 2013
On Tuesday evening, Lady Gaga started a bunch of Twitter rants on how successful ARTPOP has been selling worldwide. However, that's hardly the case. The first week numbers for ARTPOP in the United States will be around 260,000 copies -- that's almost a 75 percent drop in sales from the first week sales of "Born This Way" in May of 2011. What makes this number even worse is that Gaga manipulated the system once again by releasing her album on a Monday. Most new releases come out on a Tuesday.
Even though it will debut at number one in the United States, the album is expected to plunge next week. ARTPOP has already dropped to number 8 on iTunes. On Amazon.com, it has plummeted to number 6. But the United States isn't the only area where ARTPOP is flopping. In the UK, Gaga sold only 65,000 copies of her latest musical disaster. 20,000 of those copies were sold with a severely deep discount. The album is expected to drop out of the top ten this week.
Things are even worse in Australia. ARTPOP debuted with sales of around 15,000. At this point, you should be able to see 'ARTPOP' in deep discount bins everywhere soon. It's a sad time for Lady Gaga and her little monsters. Lady Gaga and Interscope may claim the album went platinum in many country worldwide, but certifications are about shipments, not actual sales.
Billboard.com has tried to promote Lady Gaga on their website all week. This weekend, six of the top ten stories were all by Lady Gaga. We have been told that Billboard purposely underestimated Lady Gaga's first week sales at about 240,000 to 250,000 so that they can claim she outdid expectations. Their final numbers will likely be between 260,000 and 270,000. However, as much as they try and unprofessionally defend Lady Gaga, they probably won't mention that ARTPOP was initially expected to sell almost 475,000 copies.
Last week, Billboard let Lady Gaga's song "Dope" chart at number 8. This chart position was based on thousands of free downloads of the single given away to those who pre-ordered ARTPOP and people who watched the YouTube Awards without intending to watch Lady Gaga. Actually, many people tuned out when she appeared. It was like watching a train wreck. Perhaps Madonna perfectly described the current state of Lady Gaga's career with the word "reductive."
- LO-fucking-L, that article is by "Sabrina O'Connor" who is a deranged Gaga hater. Check out her twitter feed.. the poor woman has no other life than sitting at her computer trying to torpedo Gaga. Look at this mess:
- R324 How does it matter if she's a hater or not? She's talking numbers, she talking truth. One thing this generation does not do well with is truth. They just can't handle it. MDNA OUTSOLD FARTPLOP IN FIRST WEEK SALES. THATS THE TRUTH.
- Adele Tweeted her love for ManiCure:
"MANiCURE IS THE BEST"
- I honestly don't remember MDNA coming out. Until a few days ago I thought it was called MDMA, like the drug.
Was there press for this album? Any hit singles?
- Gaga posted on her Facebook:
"I put so much love into my music, into my shows, I make it all for you. I'll never understand the overflow of hate sent my way. Or maybe thats what entertainment is now. It's more fun to point & laugh than appreciate the artist. I'll keep rehearsing my steps #showbiz"
- ARTPOP--#1 in 82 countries. Two singles in the Hot 100 top ten.
- It's official. ARTPOP debuts #1.
- R325, thanks for the CAPSLOCK emphasis on your obsessive HATE FOR (sic) FARTPLOP.
Madonna's MDNA album first-week sales also outsold recent albums by Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus. Are those albums flops as well?
Look, I am actually the OP of this entire thread. And I started it unimpressed. But you unhinged hate-banshees are driving me to take the opposing side. Frankly I agree with her Facebook post at R328 up above. That, and I kind of liked the album when I listened to it twice more. Gaga's an interesting pop figure, very outspokenly pro-LGBT throughout the past five years, and I wish her well. So she trips on her own pretentiousness sometimes, what's the huge deal. Not getting the hate.
- [quote]MDNA...Was there press for this album?
[quote]Any hit singles?
Just one. Although I don't know if I'd call it a "hit" hit. It didn't go to #1 and was a L.A.M.E. rip-off of Toni Basil's "Hey Mickey". A terrible, terrible song that was A) completely soulless and B) too young a song for a woman as old as Madonna to be singing. The whole album came and went because it was beyong terrible. It certainly paled in comparison to the rolicking fun ride that is ARTPOP.
- [quote]LO-fucking-L, that article is by "Sabrina O'Connor" who is a deranged Gaga hater. Check out her twitter feed.. the poor woman has no other life than sitting at her computer trying to torpedo Gaga. Look at this mess:
HAHA!! That makes that insipid, insane, non-factor of a "review" of hers all the more hilarious and frivolous. The Gaga haters are a crazy bunch. Their ramblings are futile, because she is the best of the young pop tart bunch (with a #1 album, to boot).
- Unfortunately this narcissistic deranged generation seems to feel that if we don't absolutely love and adore them and what they like then we deserve to have a war called upon us. FUCK THEM. They are disgusting and the have ruined the girls career. Does she have talent? She sure does. Is she original? No, but most of them aren't. It's not her. It's her following. This is indeed the backlash that some of us predicted. Her following are tatted up pierced unemployable messes who sure aren't going onto iTunes to download her album. Possibly they will steal it. They don't have the money.
It would have been perfect for Gaga to slide right into Madonnas throne and have the entire gay population love her like we have Madonna for so long. But the ghouls fucked it all up for her. Now she's stuck with a following that's damn busted and broke! Bad situation for the girl, there's always another "Madonna Replacement" right after the last one flopped. What the ghouls don't seem to get is that we have seen this happen many times with many faces in the 30 years of Madonnas career.
Oh, and let's not forget......... See link.....
- OP/R331: I think Artpop is OK,and I agree with you that Gaga's biggest problem,creatively, is she trips over her own pretentiousness. As for fan flame wars between Gaga, Madonna, and Katy Perry fans, they all have some fans who seem to be social outcasts and very hurt and damaged by this and they must find validation from sales and chart rankings of their favorite diva. But as the cliche goes, hurt people hurt people and thus the fan wars. It's very sad.
- I typically just buy singles I like from Lady Gaga. But I was inspired by the Gaga hater in this thread to go to iTunes and buy the whole album.
Thank you, Gaga hater, for pushing my buttons. It's a great album, and I'm glad to have it.
- Oh please, R334. MANdonna couldn't even get another #1 album Stateside after Like A Prayer until Music (more than a decade later). She is derivative, unoriginal and NOT the only dance diva of her generation to have inspired the dozens of female pop acts to emerge since the '80s. The media would have you think this is so, but it isn't.
- I wish they'd find a new way to track an album's popularity. They need to somehow include youtube views, single sales, Spotify listens, etc. Young people (and 34 year olds like myself), other than Southerners (re: Taylor Swift), just don't buy CDs anymore. And every year, the remaining few who do buy CDs shrinks exponentially. They buy singles and stream. I loathe Katy Perry, but if this was 2000, her album would have sold a million at least, in its first week. Same with Miley and probably Gaga. I think "Wrecking Ball" has something like 300,000,000 views. If there wasn't any other way to listen to that save the radio, Bangerz would've sold millions. "Applause" has over 100,000,000 as does "Roar". And the artist does make money off those views, so they should count for an album's tally, somehow.
Why buy an album? You listen to it streaming, buy the singles (or torrent them) you want on your phone, then listen to the other songs when you feel like it on Spotify. They have to find a new way to add up an album's "listens" in all the variant forms one can now access any given record.
- R334 is decreeing generational vengeance upon the millennials because, um, sad because Madonna no longer Queen, and also something something Gaga and besides, R334 really really really hates some of the Gaga fans?
OK. Got it.
- Pretty much, R338. I don't buy music. I stream everything on Spotify. Been streaming Artpop constantly.
- Even if Madonna is no longer Queen, that doesn't mean Gaga is. Rihanna and Katy Perry have stronger claims to the throne. But frankly, the public doesn't pay to see any of those 3 in concert now in their prime so I can't imagine any of them having the career longevity of Madonna.
- Oh people will pay to see Gaga. She's great live. She's not the Biggest Pop Star on the planet anymore (and, frankly, it's shocking she was just that the last five years), but she's still in the mix. If I were on her team, I'd have her next album be her at a piano.
- r327 [quote]MDNA...Any hit singles?
Only in Madonna's deranged head.
- Is it just me or has Lady Gaga's voice weakened? Did she damage it by doing too much coke or something?
- Her voice sounds the same to me R344. There are a lot of production tricks on ArtPop but there are moments when her voice is given full direct treatment and it sounds as strong and full as ever.
- Oh, look! Another frumpy cunty psychotic Gaga hater, suffering form a terminal case of Gaga Derangement Syndrome!
Poor little mousy cunt; never gets laid, but rubs her gunt with each vitriolic Gaga-hate tweet1
- "Oh people will pay to see Gaga."
They're hardly paying to see her now, I can't imagine how she'd fare 20 years from now with a tour (assuming she hasn't succumbed to coke).
- Both the Gaga haters on these twitter links and on this thread are absolutely insane. INSANE. And I can't believe that a site with regulars as old as some of you are has so many people who care so much. I mean, I could give a fuck about Katy Perry. I think she's totally lame and an unformed artist, but I promise I wouldn't spend any more than 30 seconds of my life bashing her online.
Gaga seems to inspire this visceral hate that is actually kind of scary. She's definitely right to have security. And the Madonna comparisons? Give me a break. Madonna was the perfect "gay icon" for that generation, only so much as she completely exploited a community for profit while never really risking too much in her so-called support.
Actually I don't know why gay men with a shred of dignity worship either of these bitches. You guys are too old for this shit.
- I loved gaga's first hits (poker face, paparazzi, etc) but this new album is just awful. She needs to take a couple of years off to regain her creative strength
- R348, you exemplify the problem. Just because some Gaga fans think she is absolutely wonderful, you think the rest of us have to find her absolutely wonderful too. But, we don't, in fact, we're sick of her fucking publicity machine. Yet you, her followers, can't understand that quite a lot of people don't feel the same way as you, you can't break out of your little bubble of Gaga worship to consider for just one moment that maybe not the whole of humanity thinks she's as wonderful as you do.
So, you call us insane because we don't worship your goddess. No, we don't, we think she produces substandard music and her image is a load of hype. It is being pushed on us by a 25 million dollar marketing machine, but we're sick of this shit, which is why some people react with what you call "hate".
Also, your insistence that if, in your opinion, Gaga is great then Madonna must be shit is also fucking annoying, especially since you are rewriting history and demonstrating the ignorance and gullibility of Gaga worshippers.
Please, just go away and take your Gags goddess with you.
- R350, you just provided a perfectly unhinged barking-chihuahua example of what R348 is talking about. Note that R348 didn't even identify as a "Gaga fan" at all - he said,
[quote]Actually I don't know why gay men with a shred of dignity worship either of these bitches. You guys are too old for this shit.
I must concur.
- Well, probably because I'm not a gay man, r351.
- Finally, an article that has a keen perspective about Artpop and Gaga's place in the pop landscape. And it isn't biased by Gaga stans or Gaga haters.
- GAGA on Facebook:
"Today ARTPOPs #1 all over the world! I'm so happy+grateful to my home +international fans! This is a party record turn it up lets celebrate!"
Celebrate indeed. And the poster upthread who said that the album is "just awful" has AWFUL taste.
[quote]They're hardly paying to see her now
Really? So is that why the Born This Way Ball, despite ending early due to her health issues, was one of the most successful tours last year?
- An ARTPOP Film Starring Lady Gaga.
- Ouch, it looks like ArtFlop will tumble down to #7 on next week's chart, with sales of 50-55K. Katy Perry is having a better chart run with Prism:
First week: 286,000
Second week: 92,000
Third week: 61,000
Fourth week: 46,000
Fifth week: 35,000 to 40,000
At this rate, ArtFlop will likely leave the top 10 the week after next.
- For most of us Gaga detractors it's not about Madonna vs Gaga (although anyone with a brain knows Madonna > Gaga). It's about her horrible, nasty fan base The Little Monsters. They are the scourge of the internet and Gags has them to blame for her downfall.
- Thanks, R353. Good to have a smart, informed and balanced piece of writing on this.
- R358, yes, but Gags encouraged them, they didn't emerge on their own, and she does nothing to discourage their more crazed aspects. In fact, she exhorts them to make her "bigger".
I'd ask whether album sales really matter that much anyway. It's not as though they're a reflection of the quality of an album, in fact perhaps the opposite is true in many cases as many "top" singers, bands, etc. are just putting out whatever commercial shit they think will sell the most. The very fact that it "matters" whether Gaga's album tops or "flops" is in itself a reflection of the fact that she's more about marketing and selling and shifting a product, than about the music.
- I disagree, R360. As that Pitchfork article espouses, Gaga is entering the post- Imperial Phase of her career. Like Madonna with Erotica. Very few artists even have an Imperial Phase. I think in the past 30 years, for female pop stars, we have Madonna, Whitney, Mariah, Britney, and Gaga. Maybe Janet and Beyonce.
And the backlash and insane media scrutiny is because no one can sustain their IP. We are quite literally hoping/wishing/reveling in her fall. And the Biggest Pop Star in the World ALWAYS falls. We just have to see if she can retain her A list status (like Madonna did) or not (Britney). And because Gaga, lover her or hate her, has the musical/singing chops, there's a good chance she will. Artpop's "flop", which it really isn't (just like Madonna's Erotica wasn't *really* a flop) will be overlooked if she puts out a great next album.
- Gaga posted this pic on her Facebook last night before she went to sleep with the caption "Excited for the AMAs" I can't wait to see it. By the way, she looks great here.
- [quote]Very few artists even have an Imperial Phase. I think in the past 30 years, for female pop stars, we have Madonna, Whitney, Mariah, Britney, and Gaga. Maybe Janet and Beyonce.
MAYBE Janet? MAYBE??? I think you meant to include her in your previous sentence, particularly where you included (guffaw) Britney Spears of ALL people--a woman who has hijacked every career move Janet has ever made. Are you forgetting that Janet was one of the dominate female pop icons from the '80s, '90s AND the 2000s?
- [quote]It's about her horrible, nasty fan base The Little Monsters
Oh, that's mature. Hate the artist because of her fanbase? Stupid.
So what, R357? Next week and the week after haven't arrived yet. Gaga is set to perform on the AMAs and Ellen on Monday, so you don't know what the trajectory of her sales will be (not that they're horrible now, anyway).
- R363 Exactly. Some people are just fucking stupid. The woman was one of the biggest artists (female or male) in the 80's and 90's, had 10 #1 songs and 6 #1 albums.
- Oh god. Fine, Janet is included. Anything to keep the Janbot at bay. My bad. Janet is the queen of all things.
- I guess I was too young to properly remember Janet's stature (born in 1980). I remember Madonna, Whitney and Mariah being huge. Janet seemed to be a half tier beneath them. But if she belongs there, fine. My point was more about the fact that any performer who is exiting their Imperial Phase goes through what Gaga is going through now...
- If you were born in 1980, then you were born two years before Janet's debut album was released. It made some waves on the R&B charts, but it wasn't a big pop hit. Neither was her second album, but when she released CONTROL in 1986, she was well on her way to becoming a pop icon. A half tier beneath Mariah? Janet was making hits before Mimi even got started. She dominated the mid-late '80s, the '90s and the first half of the 2000s, so how you don't remember her stature is baffling. She made movies, toured the world, was the highest paid female in music two times in the '90s, and put out hit record after hit record and hit single after hit single. Nevermind the fact that her videos help set the benchmark that many pop acts in years to come would follow.
- Calm down, Janbot. I can only go off my experiences, which you don't get to dictate. I'm not a really a fan of pop music. I don't have any horses in the race (of the list I made, I only like Whitney and Gaga - and neither to the "stan" degree). So, in many respects, that makes me a perfect person through which to filter which pop star "crossed over" - meaning who was well known to the average person who isn't normally into pop stars.
Janet just never registered to me - certainly not like Madonna and Whitney (who I suppose would be her two main "rivals" given your timeline). I remember liking Again and that Runway song. Sorry. I have no hate towards her. However, I'll happily take your word for it; no need to throw stats at me. Long live Janet!
- "Artpop" seems to be becoming a "singles record". It would be interesting if she released "Jewels & Drugs" to urban radio after "Do What You Want". Unlike the krautrock EDM of her last album, she seems to be going back to the NYC street sounds of her first one.
- I'm not a huge Gaga person but I've been watching this album unfurl.. Do What U Want is a bangin track. I'll just enjoy the song...I don't care about all this Madonna stuff or album sales stuff. Though that song really should hit top ten.
- Janet just didn't seem as big because she released albums every 3-4 years, and her peers (Madonna, Whitney, Mariah) always had music in some format out (studio album, soundtrack, compilation). Janet is underrated and no match for the bigwigs in the industry like her brother, Madonna, Whitney, & Mariah but she def. held her own and prospered often surpassing them in some regards.
- R363, don't you think we're in a somewhat different era, however? With the internet, downloads (illegal and paid), constant celebrity news, hundreds of television channels, etc. Being a tad older than you, in my 40s, I can't remember if it ever mattered so much if albums went straight in at number one or shifted hundreds of thousands in their first week.
In any case, our views aren't so different - I personally don't think it matters how much an album shifts, as it's not really a reflection of whether it's any good or not. Which is kind of what you're saying, that sales figures aren't the marker of the status of an artist.
Btw, Erotica was Madonna's fifth studio album and what was interesting about it was how it was a marked shift in the kind of music she made and the ideas she was working with. This is the problem, as I see it, with Gaga, she's not developing her music or her ideas. Unless she can start to do that - instead of trying to grab attention all the time with her latest "shocking" regurgitation of the same old thing - then she's not going to be as dominant a cultural figure as you think.
- Oh hey Janbot! *waves at r363*
- I meant to address my post at r373 to r361.
- Re: Mariah vs Janet - Mariah was a much bigger star and commercial force. That's why she released an album every year and effectively had a 10 year uninterrupted single release pattern; She could survive the overexposure. Janet had to vanish for 3 years in between releases.
Fun fact: Mariah's debut came out in 90 and by 93 she'd sold more albums in the US than Janet, career to date.
And Janet was certainly not a bit star in the 00's. She had 3 hits in 00-01 and they were here swan song. She was a front for Jimmy and Terry and when there sound fell out if favor it was all over.
People like to blame the superbowl, but the 1st single off Damita Jo had already bombed.
- I disagree, R372. Janet was on a par with those artists you named (MJ and Whitney even covered her songs in concert--and so did Prince, btw). I know you said she surpassed them at times, which she did, but she was by no means below them in any regard. You said it yourself when you mentioned her penchant for releasing albums every 3-4 years. That is the main reason her numbers and stats aren't as high as Madonna's/Whitney's/Mariah's--because she didn't have a new record out every year or every other year like they did. It made her fanbase want her more when she DID come back with new material.
[quote]Mariah was a much bigger star and commercial force. That's why she released an album every year and effectively had a 10 year uninterrupted single release pattern; She could survive the overexposure.
Ha! Don't make me laugh. The very reason Mariah's "Glitter" album and movie flopped was in direct correlation to that overexposure. When she came out, she was dubbed The White Whitney and she was hot, so of course she put the albums out in rapid succession. Her quality suffered, however, because her very first album was and still is her best. Janet was the highest paid woman in the music industry twice in the 1990s because of her commercial appeal (she was all over MTV because of her innovative videos, she won a slew of awards, she was the first female to have an album debut at #1 during the SoundScan era, she was the first and only female to have 7 top 5 Hot 100 hits from one album, she had the biggest debut world tour of any artist in history (a record she still holds), she was the first female to have 5 consecutive #1 albums, etc.).
[quote]Janet had to vanish for 3 years in between releases.
Nope. She chose to vanish for various reasons.
Between RN and janet. she toured all over the world, made her film debut with Poetic Justice, and was honored with a ton of awards, which accounts for that downtime.
Between janet. and The Velvet Rope (a four year gap) she once again toured the world over (her janet. tour lasted for a year and a half), she dueted with her brother on "Scream", released a Greatest Hits album (Design of a Decade), released a couple of singles from it and made a couple of videos for them. She also went through a bout with depression, so all of that accounts for those four years.
Between The Velvet Rope and All For You she toured (her VR tour lasted 9 months), made a movie (The Nutty Professor) and made a song for the soundtrack, which accounts for that album gap.
[quote]Fun fact: Mariah's debut came out in 90 and by 93 she'd sold more albums in the US than Janet, career to date.
El wrongo. Mariah had sold about 20 million albums in the US by 1993, which is less than Janet's US sales to date.
[quote]And Janet was certainly not a bit star in the 00's. She had 3 hits in 00-01 and they were here swan song.
Bull and shit. Janet was still considered one of the preeminent dance divas when the 2000s rolled around. She had the longest-running #1 song of 2001, the biggest first-week sales of her career in the same year (The All For You album sold 605,128 copies in its first week), and the year before when "Doesn't Really Matter" hit #1, it made her the first female to amass a #1 in the '80s, '90s and the 2000s. She also toured several times and starred in a film that went to #1 at the US box office (her second consecutive film to do so at that point). She was also MTV's first crowned "Icon" and she won several important awards in that era, including a Best Dance Recording Grammy for her "All For You" single, the American Music Award's highest honor--the Award of Merit, and Billboard Awards' Artist Achievement Award.
- [quote]People like to blame the superbowl
People blame the Super Bowl because the Super Bowl WAS to blame. It's the reason pop radio and MTV pussied out of featuring Janet in their line-ups. For an artist to go from being heavily featured on raido and MTV to nowhere to be seen within a blink of an eye, you can best believe it was the Super Bowl.
[quote]but the 1st single off Damita Jo had already bombed.
Wrong again. "Just A Little While" was released a day before The Super Bowl, which is hardly enough time for a single to gain much traction at radio. When the Halftime incident happened, radio and MTV immediately blacklisted her, and the single went nowhere (although it did give her her another dance #1).
- Janbot, please start your own thread. You've stated those stats 8 thousand times. We know where you stand on this highly important subject. TIA!
- [quote]Janbot, please start your own thread
Oh, I already have, but why would I do that when the very person I'm speaking to is in THIS thread?
- At the end of '93, Mariah's debut was at 8 million, Emotions and Unplugged were both triple platinum and Music Box was at 5 million (on it's way to 9 million).
Control and RN1814 were both at 6 million and the Janet album was quadruple platinum.
I remember this because Billboard, in naming Mariah their female act or the year, compared their numbers to point out how quickly she'd surpassed Janet and become Whitney's only real competition when if came to selling CDs.
- R381, Janet's most popular CDs have never even been recertified. Mariah is famous for having her discs recertified to bolster numbers. If Control, RN 1814 and janet. were recertified today, there is no telling what their official numbers would be.
- They've all had ups and downs. Lady Gaga would be no exception.
- Madonna, Mariah, Celine, Whitney, Janet and Streisand are the greatest selling female pop stars of all time, with Ms. Ross not far behind. Ain't no way You Tube views or single song downloads are ever going to top their impressive achievements.
If people want to rate Gaga in terms of success and talent, then compare her to her contemporaries: Katy, Taylor, Rihanna, Beyonce, Miley and Kelly.
Only Clarkson has a great voice and doesn't give a fuck about hype.
Beyonce and Gaga are on the second tier with considerable talent, created personas, shady ethics and a couple of memorable songs. They want to rule the world, but cannot manage themselves. Their seams are showing.
Katy, Rihanna and Swifty are at the base of the talent pyramid but they are wildly successful, hard working, dependent on others, and least likely to fall. They are not about to give up their spot.
It is all in reverse of a highschool cheerleader pyramid. The chubby girl is on top, the "popular" mean girls anchor away, and the glamorous middle is most prone to collapse.
Miley Cyrus was kicked off the squad for drugs and truancy, but is expected to be a mid-tier replacement next season.
- Just released: ARTPOP is the most successful album of 2013 for a female artist. It's currently coming in at over 600k copies sold in its first week. She's also the face of Versace. I guess Donatella had a good sense of humor... or she's deaf.
What is going to be REALLY interesting now is how Britney Spears' album does. It's released in less that two weeks. Both singles flopped, her Vegas show isn't selling, and she won't promote.
and janbot, place your bets: new Janet album in 2014 or not?
- I thought Janet became chubby and a Muslim. Does she even want to try to get back in the pop arena?
- R384, I'd quibble with your stacking but I really just want to thank you for omitting that no-talent skank, "Ke$ha."
- Great post, R384. And thanks for the info, R385. As for Janet's new 2014 album, I'd place bets on a "yes".
Did anyone see Xtina and her team cover Janet's "Black Cat" and MJ/JJ's "Scream" on The Voice the other night? They were great.
- 382 you are flat out lying now. It now takes less than 500 copies sold for the week to make Billboards catalogue chart and I have never seen a Janet albums on it. Soundscan captures 90% of the market.
Janets albums are not recertified because the sales plateau she hits 2 years post-release is where they stay.
Mariah has the same problem. Of the moment pop has no shelf life.
Mariah has 2 9 million sellers and Fantasy is diamond (over 10 million).
Janet's product sold like Mariah underachievers like Rainbow. Face it.
- No, YOU face it, fuckface. Janet Jackson's most popular and successful CDs HAVE NOT BEEN RE-CERTIFIED. And if they were, there is no telling what the final tallies would be. It costs to have your albums re-certified, and Janet is probably just not interested in doing something so unnecessary just to keep up with the divas who DO re-certify their discs (Mariah, Madonna, etc.).
[quote]Janet's product sold like Mariah underachievers like Rainbow
You dumb ass. RAINBOW is only triple platinum in the US, which is far less than Control, RN and janet.'s US sales.
- Wow, I think the Janet Jackson ultra-fan may be as touched as the Madonna ones.
- Exactly what magnificent sales heights are you expecting Janet to achieve selling a few dozen albums a week?
Dude, face it, your idol is a chubby old muslim housewife now and NO ONE is checking for that shit.
THE ART OF LETTING GO #janetyourfanisannoying
- r384, and what about me?
- The RIAA charges $350.00 to audit and certify an album. And they do all the work.
Janet's got nothing to certify, other than her bankruptcy.
- Oh I forgot that I eat shit for breakfast. Ignore me.
- I don't give a fuck what Janbot thinks, Janet was never the vocal equal of Mariah or Whitney.
- [quote]Exactly what magnificent sales heights are you expecting Janet to achieve selling a few dozen albums a week?
What the fuck kind of nonsense are you babbling about? A few dozen albums a week? You stupid bitch. When Janet was at her peak, she was selling millions of albums a week. AS I STATED UPTHREAD, her highest first-week sales ALONE came from the All For You album, which sold over 600,000 copies in the first week. Her albums are multi-platinum, shithead.
[quote]Dude, face it, your idol is a chubby old muslim housewife now and NO ONE is checking for that shit.
Chubby? Bitch, Janet is in great fucking shape and has been for quite some time now. Let me give you a little advice--before you start to tap your keyboard to post something again, please think about what it is you're going to say so that you don't come across sounding like a complete fucking idiot.
[quote]Janet's got nothing to certify
Really? So three multiplatinum albums that have never been recertified is now nothing? What the hell kind of logic is that? What kind of standards do you go by? Oh, that's right, the impossibly imbecilic ones.
[quote]other than her bankruptcy.
Bankruptcy? Bwahahaha! The FUCK???!! Janet Jackson is one of the richest women in music, and now that she's married to a billionarie, she's even richer. Take that "bankruptcy" shit over to Toni Braxton's fans.
Also, if you're going to make a dig about her (her weight, finances, etc.), then at least have the common sense to come correct. Because right now, you're dead wrong about EVERYTHING, including her record sales. Now take your narrow ass somewhere, sit down in a corner and marinate on that.
THE ART OF LETTING GO #of that blunt that's depleting your minimal brain cells
p.s. "slamb". SLAMB?? What the fuck is that? Learn how to spell before you try to step to me the next time, little boy.
Janet earlier this year receiving an amfAR award--in TIP TOP physical shape
- [quote]I don't give a fuck what Janbot thinks, Janet was never the vocal equal of Mariah or Whitney.
I never said she was. They've done a different type of music than Janet's music. They are torch singers/R&B songstresses for the most part, whereas Janet is a dance-pop/R&B artist. Her songs fit her voice just as their songs fit theirs. What's more, Whitney once covered Janet's "Control" in concert in the late '80s, and Mariah was always giving props to Janet.
I'm over her.
Also hate the fact that she snagged a HOT boyfriend in Taylor.
- [quote]eternal lambnation
Oh, that says it all. And that also explains your weak ass "slamb" comment. Who the hell calls their fans "Lambs", anyway? Lambs to the slaughter of your eardrums, maybe. Bitch, go suck a dirty dick. You AND your overweight, no-ass-having, fake watermelon-sized tittied, butterfly-worshipping, hoarse-voiced idol are OVAH.
Oh, and Janet is MUCH prettier
- M, you can't ever wake the Janbot. She doesn't stop. In her odd little world, Janet is the sun, the moon, oxygen, Oprah. Just move on. Trust me.
Janbot? Sweetie? Janet Jackson is the most important artist of all time. She changed the world. No one else matters. No one. Not Madonna nor Whitney or Gaga fuck Britney. M'kay? Take that little round pill. Good girl. Just shut your eyes...
- Janbot liked my post at R384. Who wouldn't? A gaga fan maybe. But it stands as the truth cleverly told. Ja*et J*c*son is part of the truth J.
I wish I could waken you when I wanted you...like a genie in a bottle baby.
- Gypsy is my favourite track on the album, but overall, I prefer Born This Way as nearly every song on BTW was amazing, while only a handful of songs on ARTPOP were replayable. After such a long time promoting the album, I had high expectations, but the album was a real let down.
- She's performing DO WHAT U WANT with R. Kelly on the AMAs tonight.
- Will Gaga dress up as a teenage black girl? Will R Kelly pee on her?
Will Katy Perry wait till they're even done to denounce the whole affair on twitter?
Will Miley finally throw a hip out twerking?
All that and more tonight at the AMAs.
- Well know we know. Gaga arrived astride a human horse, Katy did racist geisha drag, and Miley cried.
- Okay, I've been a GaGa fan for a while. Love ALL of her previous albums.
I bought the CD and was looking forward to it. I liked the single "Applause" well enough though I thought the narcissism was kind of a turn-off... it's still a decent song with a good video.
But... after two full listen-throughs, I just can't get into the new album at all. I find it tedious, a turn-off, or just off-putting. So much narcissism... and so few hooks.
I tried to give it a third listen, but I found myself just skipping track after track, as the songs grew more and more grating. The subject-matter is the problem sometimes, the music or vocals is the problem other times...
I think I'm probably going to put this away, and am unlikely to ever listen to it again.
- listened to it a few times
not bad nor life changing either
- Her muppet Xmas special looks absolutely dreadful. What is she thinking?
- This album is ALL THAT
I am sure you have seen gaga live a few times. I am not too old for much, but I can't face thousands of little monsters, a strangely prophetic name for many of her fans.
Here is Gaga on a better day, 4 years ago. I love everything about this performance, especially this voice. It is not as agile, clear or strong these days. She is swooping and straining, vocally and otherwise now. Her voice HAS deteriorated and little monsters grow into big monsters. Her voice is fixable.
This is not a unique video, just proof of what you know and I sometimes forget. Gaga is good.
- I actually have never seen Gaga live. Don't let my participation in these Gaga threads fool you. I'm a fan of hers for sure, but not at all a Monster or a Gaga stan.
My world is indie music.
- Gaga and The Muppets on ABC? I can't wait!
- Leave it to Janbot to invade and destroy any musical thread that does not bare homage to her washed-up piggling of a hero.
- Lady Gaga "ArtPop" album FALLS OUT OF iTunes top 100 album chart.
A hideous and humiliating FLOP for Gaga. If she spent as much time creating her music as she did dressing up trying to shock the public, she might have had a longer run.
- Difficult third album thing. Really no big deal and there's still a couple of great tracks. Hopefully she'll be back on form on the next album. Calm down bitches.
- [quote]Leave it to Janbot to invade and destroy any musical thread that does not bare homage to her washed-up piggling of a hero.
What, are you angry or something? The waters were calm until you came in here talking some shit that died down two days ago. Eat a royal bag of fuck.
Oh, and Janet is beautiful, rich and everything you'll unfortunately NEVER be.
- Not that I care, but Artpop had the biggest first week sales for any female artist worldwide, in 2013. It's underperforming in the US, but not worldwide.
- This album is anything but a flop. If it had debuted anywhere but the top 2, and had never yielded a top 10 hit, then maybe I'd be inclined to agree with such an assessment. However, the way it stands now, with the album debuting at #1 in many countries and yielding 2 top 10 Hot 100 hits, coupled with what R418 has said, and I'd say that this is hardly third-album jinx syndrome.
- Artpop just set a new record for the biggest percentage decline ever in the US, - 81%.
Artpop falls to #7 this week, selling 50,128 copies.
IMO, she forgot who was actually buying most of her product -- straight women. She's alienated them by morphing into someone they don't look up to. This is where Madonna could come in handy for some career advice.
- It's not a flop, R420. You just have to accept it. It's not a huge hit either. It's a decent selling album. It will end up selling a million or so in the US once she tours and probably 2-3 million world wide. Both are more than respectable in today's torrent driven market and on par with Katy, Miley and Rihanna.
Applause is hit. Dope charted at number 8 - and that was just a promotional single. Do What You Want is climbing and will land in the Top 10 once the video gets released and Gypsy will be a Top 5 hit (it's the only breakout single on the album).
- Applause is the only song I like. This makes a total of only 3 songs I like by her, Poker Face, Bad Romance, and Applause. The rest of her songs are gilded turds.
- R421, you are so fucking sucking on a bag of shit!
Pull down numbers out of thin air, or out of your cheesy asshole, why don't you? Her album won't sell even ONE million. It has ALREADY FALLEN OFF THE ITUNES 100 ALBUM CHART!
Kaput! Fini! She was sidelined in that TV show this week by her competitors. She is a slutty drug addicted whore who cannot sell CDs because the fucking world is bloody fucking tired of the cunt!
- I keep reading that you have to force yourself to listen to and relisten to Artpop in order to come close to liking it.
To me, if you have to force yourself to listen to an album, you don't like it. Period.
- I disagree. There is at least 4 tracks on the album that are instant and radio friendly.
I think Artpop is one of Gaga's better albums with some great pop songs on it. Unfortunately I really hate how she promotes it. She is never consistent with the concept/image or dancing.
The live performances of Do What U Want have been atrocious.
- 421: No, not on par with Miley or Katy, who both did over 90k in week 2. And its only going to get worse, Artpop is in freefall.
- Who cares if it sells. She's a performance artist now...not pop star.
- R423, R426, I'm not a Gaga stan. I do like her, but I've never even bought one of her albums. The only reason I post here is because the only that irritates me more than stans, whose idol can do no wrong, is haters, whose anti-idol can do no good.
Of course those numbers are estimates. I think fair ones, but who knows? As I've said, her popularity in the US is waning for sure, but not worldwide. She's being outsold by Miley and Katy in the US, but is outselling them worldwide. I didn't make those numbers up. I honestly don't care.
And she will have three of four hit singles off this albums. Maybe not Bad Romance hits, but hits nonetheless.
- "Jewels & Drugs" The song is exactly the type of rap music that's being played in clubs around the world right. I have a feeling that if she released the song as a single it would be a surpise hit due to T.I., Too Short, & Twista's signature rap styles. The beat and melody to the song is bad ass! This song is the hidden gem that should get radio play!!
- Except it won't be played R429. The whole CD has been tainted now and declared radioactive with all of this bad publicity. No one will get near it. It has cooties.
- Gorgeous Gaga
- [quote]The whole CD has been tainted now and declared radioactive with all of this bad publicity
Bad publicity? Did she publicly flog a nun or something?
- R425, I just can't agree. I love every song on every previous album.
I can only find ONE song on this album I can listen to over and over ... Applause, the first single.
I've tried several times, but I just can't listen to this CD. I keep just hitting the "skip" button to move to the next track because I just don't like what I'm hearing.
I'm very, VERY disappointed in this album. And there's just not much that is radio friendly, or even HUMAN BEING friendly... it's so fucking self-absorbed, narcissistic, arrogant, bragging, and awful. It is hands down her worst album ever, and easily the worst album I've purchased in years.
I doubt I'll listen to it again ever. I can't understand what anyone sees in this collection of songs.
It's nothing like her previous albums. It's over-produced, self-indulgent, hookless dreck.
- Hookless? I think you need to listen to the album again. AURA, VENUS, MANiCURE, DO WHAT U WANT, SEXX DREAMS and G.U.Y. are MADE of hooks (nevermind G.U.Y.'s brilliant bridge). And the title track is pure '80s bliss.
- Queen of fucking pop, bitches!
- R422, other really good songs you should give a second chance to are "Just Dance", "Telephone" (the video sucks, but the song is good), "Paparazzi", "Summerboy", and "The Edge of Glory"
- Not one pop diva of late has been able to match the pure aural bliss that is GAGA's "Heavy Metal Lover". Damn those record company execs for not releasing this badass song as a single during the BORN THIS WAY era...
- R434, we're going to have to agree to disagree. Even when there are hooks, there are horrible, off-putting lyrics. Or the song just gets tedious.
I really, really WANTED to love this Album. I was really looking forward to it.
But after three listens, I just have to put it away, because it's just fucking crap.
- I think whether you like this album or not is a subjective question of personal taste. If you like muzak that tries too hard, is loud and brash to catch attention, or you think Gaga's music is really original and innovative then you are but in reality are unaware that it's incredibly derivative, unoriginal and mainstream, then you'll like this album and Gaga in general. If you want music that's a bit different, genuine and truly innovative, that has some depth and insight to it, or you just want some great pop to have fun to, then you're unlikely to be a Gaga fan.
- I'm glad that we are all in agreement that she is a flop and a dead horse. Now, let's move on.
- I'll try again!
If you think Gaga's music is really original and innovative then in reality you are unaware that it's incredibly derivative, unoriginal and mainstream!
(That's the problem with multi-tasking…)
- I have to agree with R433. I've never purchased a Gaga album before, but I think her singles have been great ear candy. I bought ArtPop early this week because it was cheap and I like Applause. But I am very disappointed. It's both pretentious and juvenile. After five or six listenings, applause continues to be the only song I like.
- Her Muppets show is on now and it's great. I love the live performances of VENUS.
- I think the fact that we're even here talking about her ad nauseum is proof that A), she's still popular as all get out and B), she ain't going anywhere. And R440, we're not all agreement with that assessment.
- Well, it's not really that ad nauseum, seeing as you're only r444 on a thread that's been around for a month on what is supposedly the hottest star on the planet, as her marketing/cult followers would have us believe.
The reasons she's being talked about are: a) her fanbots fill up threads trying to convince everyone that the whole world just loves her, when it's patently not true, b) those of us who find her annoying and a fake enjoy having an outlet to say that she's annoying and a fake. But, we wouldn't be annoyed or think that she's a fake if it wasn't being pushed down our throats all the time that's she just AMAZING.
Sure, "she ain't going anywhere" right now as she has a huge marketing campaign on. But, after this album's sales cycle is over and she's done the tour and all the rest of the publicity campaign, she's going to struggle with her next album in two or so years time. She's struggling to maintain credibility even now, in a couple of years the novelty will have worn off almost completely.
- R445, I totally get people's hesitance towards her. But I think Gypsy will be a huge hit. And if she reigns in her oddness and just sings, her next album could cement her place back on the A list. Or, she could continue to not listen to her naysayers and fade. Who knows.
- She can no longer sing, and those who are shifting their position to say next time she will sing jazz or standards or power pop ballads are missing that she had a kind of barroom, off broadway voice at best, and even that is pretty tuneless and out of shape now. Gaga will never be anywhere near the top again. Not only from this one bad album, but because she has been exposed as a confused, pretentious entertainer and worse, a mediocre one. Listen if you can to her and Joseph Gordon-Levitt destroy Baby it's Cold Outside. Destroy as in sing very badly, look embarrassingly amateur and sound very much out of tune. It looks like a walk through rehearsal. Tony Bennett may have praised her, but he'd be much better off singing with the corpse of Winehouse. A professor of mine once told me that bad art enrages people in ways that are hard to understand. I believe this is true. Gaga has some monsters still, but she is impressing no one else with ears, and certainly not within the music business. She barely registered at the VMA's in her Marilyn drag. She will crank out another hit and cut short another tour. In a few years she will be singing an album of standards, like all others do when they want to prove their versatility and sing at least well composed songs and hold on to a smaller audience. A very bad sign for someone her age. I like a good standards album, if she were a good singer. She's not. You cant play like Whitney or MJ when your talent is so small. It took them twenty years of monumental effort to damage their voices and reputations. They kept the love of their fans regardless. I think Gaga needs rehab on something, but her time as a POP superstar is over no matter what she does. I am sure she is a nice woman, but she is delusional.
- Is Gaga original? NO. Derivative of better performers. YES.
1980, "I'm Gonna Be Strong."
- And she stole all of my wigs!
- Re: R447 - I am not a Gaga cheerleader here, but anyone who claims she "can no longer sing" is a person whose opinion should not be taken seriously. Her flaws are obvious - excessive and sloppy self-indulgence being #1. To the point that most fans end up abandoning her. But vocally? She's one of the far better pop singers we've had to date in the 21st century. If you listen to that link to her live "Dope" on Howard Stern, you really can't deny that she's a good singer for her genre.
- R450, mostly true, but the low ballad on her new album... her voice is terrible on that one. I have no idea what's wrong, but it's flat and just grating. She's done so many beautiful slow ballads before, but I had to skip that track every time because it was like listening to a drugged cat get its tail stepped on. I have no idea why she let that track out into public. Ugh.
It's like she recorded it after a night of binge drinking, smoking, drugging, and screaming over the loud music at a club.
Seriously, I was shocked at how bad she sounded.
- Firstly, let me state that I am a HUGE Madonna fan.
And I thought the MDNA tour was brilliant.
I don't think Gaga is a good "tour"...who needs the preachy speak every 5 mins? And, let's face it, she can't dance well.
Having said that, you cannot state that ARTPOP is not an excellent effort. The R. Kelly duet is pop at its best.
Aura is wonderful. Gypsy should be huge. And she CAN sing!
Venus is an excellent song. Applause deserves its attention in the top 10. I even think Swine is excellent.
But the very best pop song is Fashion. Of the year.
So, naysayers, instead of jumping on the hate train, actually listen to the album OR just Fashion and then report back.
It's a great effort.
- [quote]you cannot state that ARTPOP is not an excellent effort.
I can and do. It's her weakest, least-listenable album ever.
- [quote]b), those of us who find her annoying and a fake enjoy having an outlet to say that she's annoying and a fake
This is what grates on my nerves about her detractors. If you don't like her so much, then why waste your time talking about her on an Internet forum? It's counterproductive and stupid at best. Besides, at the end if the day, she is the one with the fame and fortune--not you.
- I don't bother to read any of of the criticism of Lady Gaga's latest album, or partake in it on this thread. Because, I'm enjoying listening to Artpop, and could care less what you anti-Gaga jerks think!
- Then why did you come hear to tell us that, r455?
Oh, and don't you feel embarrassed to say you're enjoying Fartplop? It's such a juvenile album anyone claiming to enjoy listening to it must be pre-adolescent.
- R456, is correct. It is a juvenile album for juvniles. What is particularly grating to me are the stupid, inane lyrics. They are not clever, poetic, offer no insight into any interior world. The are awful!
"Mars! Venus! Jupiter! Uranus!
Don't you know my ass is famous!"
Just GO AWAY you old COOTER!
- You're mean and rude, r456. As they say, opinions are like assholes.
- I think the albums great, creative and full of hooks. She layers different sounds and beats and keeps it interesting, maybe some people find it overwhelming, its not simple enough for them like a Katy Perry song. Her vocals are spot on and varied, in addition to sounding like herself, she can sound like Debby Harry, Gwen Stefani, and yes, Madonna. I drove around with a friend for less than an hour yesterday and she was all over the radio, Applause and Do What You Want were on every station. I always liked her but I now am a bigger fan since this album, the Stern interview, and her appearances in which she seems to be adapting a more kooky fun persona.
She may not be perfect, but she's heads and tails over other manufactured female pop stars like Miley, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, and Katy Perry. She's a true artist.
- R459, gaga a true artist? Think of all of her ridiculous, ridulous costumes, her absurdly juvenile lyrics and tell us she is a true artist.
She is an awful fabrication and is dissolving in the mist.
- [quote]Oh, and don't you feel embarrassed to say you're enjoying Fartplop? It's such a juvenile album
Oh, that's rich. The person calling the album "Fartplop" is using the word "juvenile" to describe something.
And, the day an album that debuts at #1 across the world is considered a flop is the day that the music industry is truly dead.
- R459 is correct.
- It's interesting how Gwyneth is often called pretentious. I find Lady Gaga awfully pretentious. She's not the only pop artist to produce shit, sound like shit and look like shit. The issue is she's acting like her shit is gold.
Your standards have to be rather low to be impressed by her vocal ability. As a lyricist, she's truly laughable. She is not a good dancer. I think Madonna can look desperate, at least she can do a decent tour. She also doesn't have to give away tickets to try to fill up stadiums. When you're a pop diva on a tour, you should be able to dance. No, it hasn't stopped Rihanna. But, Lady Gaga claims that she wants to put on a good show, she was interviewed on CBC this evening by Wendy Mesley and said exactly that. Well, I say learn how to fucking dance.
Explain how someone who purports to care so much about putting on a good show for her devoted followers can look so sloppy. Her wigs and weaves are awful. Five dollar whores have better wigs than that.
- The performance on the AMAs had so much creepy imagery - racially obsessed sex, no-professionalism retrograde office sex that erases the wins of feminism, echoes of R Kelly using power to pee on young girls, Obama the first black president parodied as a white woman obsessed do-nothing...For someone who acts "avant' and "art", the seediness and ugliness of the subtext is galling. Unless her handlers had exactly that in mind, as DogDog babbles blather about her needs as an artist.
- It is a shame, actually. She seemed to hold such promise 4 years ago. But that was a Eon ago in pop sales time. I guess she just didn't have what it takes.
- What a bunch of haters. Her performance at the AMAs was one if the better reviewed performances of the night.
- R466 If she was The Queen her performance would be the only one everyone would be talking about.
- R463 seems like she has a personal grudge.
- I agree R466. I've never seen such a collective bunch of desperate losers like the ones in here hating on Lady Gaga. The woman had the #1 album all over the world. She's also got a bunch of DL queens analyzing her every move. She's SO not over, and if you think she is then you need a reality check.
- R469. She's one of the few pop stars who's really genuine about the gay community, has talked at rallies and concerts supported by gay groups, hass et up a foundation for self-acceptance, is actually a good vocalist and a great performer, and everyone on here and even everyone out there hates her. Instead of bringing down pop stars like Miley and Katy and all those talentless girls, they hate the most on Gaga. They say she's shoved down our throats when she's even barely noticed anymore compared to other celebrities. They say her music is too pretentious when it's objectively better than her peers'.
It might be people hate her because of her annoying fanbase, but hating on a person because of that is just petty.
- Exactly, R470. She's awesome and she's miles ahead of her peers in every regard (and the washed up 56 year old who shades her all the time, too).
- Wow, Little Monsters complaining about "haters". What a bunch of hypocrites.
By the way, we don't hate Gaga, we just think she makes below-average generic pop music but are fed up with having it force-fed to us as the most amazing, radical thing ever.
Yes, Gaga makes statements in support of gays, because in the late 2000s/early 2010s that's actually an easy thing to do and doesn't take huge amounts of courage. It's not quite the same as the 1980s when I was growing up and, yes, despite the historical revisionism we get on DL, Madonna was almost the only pop cultural reference point to legitimise different sexualities.
But, just because Gaga likes gays that doesn't mean I have to think her music is great and that she's wonderful. Are we obliged to prostrate ourselves in front of her because she supports gays?
Oh, and Gaga's gay support has nothing to do with marketing or making herself seem "edgy" and radical", to make up for her mundane muzak, has it?
Gaga's muzak just reminds me of standard, generic New Wave/Hi Energy/pseudo-punk mush that was pumped out non-stop in the 1980s when I was a teen. But since her Little Monsters are aged around 10, they aren't aware of the fact that she isn't original or radical. And I don't mean in the way that all pop culture is derivative, but in the direct copy way.
The Mylie Cyrus Wrecking Ball video, released two months ago, has 368,321,484 views on YouTube. The Applause video, released almost four months ago, has 111,460,944 views. That's certainly, a solid showing for a supposedly top artist like Gaga, but Miley's massive figures show that Gaga can no longer rely on being received as the hottest thing of the moment, regardless of whatever muzak she puts out. And, no, Miley's not doing anything original either, but whatever it is she's doing, it's honest and expressive of its target audience. At the age of 20, Miley has shown that she can completely reinvent herself and take her work in a whole new direction. Gaga is unable to do so.
The problem for Gaga is that, despite her constant costume changes, she can't reinvent herself, she seems unable to grow and develop as an artist. Gaga fans may make themselves feel better by making stupid misogynist and ageist comments about Madonna, but at some point Gaga too is going to be 30, she's going to be 35, she's going to be 40. Is she still going to be pushing the same old act then?
- (R472) said everything I've been thinking and then some. It's not a hatred of Gaga fueling the backlash; personally I wish her well - I just enjoyed her act better the first time around, 30 years ago. Madonna is everyone's main focus, but she has also generously sampled from Grace Jones, Annie Lennox, Cyndi Lauper, and even Bette Midler (not to mention countless New Wave acts). Again, entertaining, but not original in the slightest.
And again, ageism and misogyny are not valid arguments. Gaga is a woman who has greatly benefited from the pioneering efforts of other women, so sexist attacks against her rivals only makes arguments on her behalf seem shallow and crass. And in case you missed the memo - you either age or you die. If you're lucky, you too may one day be 55 years old, and I can guaran-fucking-tee you won't think it's time for a poodle-perm and a rocking chair, and you will still have plenty you want to say and do. Show some respect - to your elders and your future selves as well.
- I personally just hate this album. It's practically unlistenable, after three pretty damn good albums. She's still written some of my favorite pop/dance songs ever, but this album is a bitter disappointment, and her attitude on it is actually repugnant. Every song is like "I'm so think and pretty and RICH!" Well fuck you bitch. Write something that someone else can actually relate to. Or even WANTS to relate to. Jesus. Get over yourself.
Very, very disappointed. And put off.
- Applause for r472 and r473.
Well said and done. Take a bow.
- What I've learned on the DL:
Miley is better because she has more Youtube views. So does Beiber and I'm guessing cats who knock shit over. Oh, so is Katy because Roar outsold Applause. Roar, that amazing song that will be studied for decades. Rihanna has more number ones. In other news, Danielle Steele has outsold Faulkner. Shocking, I know. Madonna is Midas. The gold standard. She did it first and better, and the fact she can't sing or play an instrument DOESN'T matter because she's Madonna. And, of course, because, suddenly, Gaga now can't sing either. Lauper is Gaga's cautionary tale. Gaga once wrote great pop songs, now she can't do it. She's only likes the gays because it's easy to do in these gay ol' times. Nevermind she got her start being played in gay clubs the world over and has never forgotten that, unlike other pop divas (see: Madonna). Gaga emulates/apes/copies literally every single pop star that came before her. Every single one. Even though she's one of the only pop stars who went to Tisch and is a classically trained musician. She's too ugly to be a real pop star. She tries too hard. Her fans suck. She likes cocaine. The fraus of the DL have spoken! Her new album will kill puppies and slay unicorns.
Dudes, so Artpop isn't her opus. Big deal. Don't buy it. Move on. This thread is ridiculous.
- "The performance on the AMAs had so much creepy imagery - racially obsessed sex, no-professionalism retrograde office sex that erases the wins of feminism"
While watching it I couldn't help but think Madonna would have been sitting at the President's desk in the oval office if this had been her performance.
- R476 described precisely why I loathe the Gaga haters. And it's pretty seeing people say they hate ARTPOP but loved her previous efforts especially when the same people were in 2011 hating on BTW because they preferred the generic mess that was The Fame. The majority love silly, cliche songs like found on The Fame so stop with the talk that Gaga's songs have become worse. She's improved musically and evolved from the idiotic pop records on The Fame and The Fame Monster. Personally I believe Born This Way is her opus but ARTPOP is a solid good pop album as well, just less mature unfortunately.
- There is nothing "evolved" about ARTPOP. It's a braying, hookless mess. It's grating, arrogant lyrics that completely detract from the music.
Even "Applause", the best track on the album by far, is an arrogant, self-absorbed, repugnant mess lyrically. It's all about HER. SHE's so amazing and wonderful and rich and beautiful. Ugh.
How can you even put up with that shit?
And her slow ballad is tunelessly awful. Her voice sounds raw and flat on that track.
How can you defend this?
What a disappointment you have turned out to be J. My bf was right. He is most always right, damn.
I too am doing research. Aren't we all?
- R472 is embarrassing.
- Marco, don't judge me because I find Gaga interesting! Trust me, I'd rather be listening to your great Whitney links. Or Neutral Milk Hotel, Elliott Smith, Nirvana, Kelly Clarkson, Nick Drake, Bowie, The Who, Cat Power, Wagner, Liz Phair's Exile on Guyville, The Pixies, Joni, Velvet Underground, Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes, The National, Margot and the Nuclear So-Sos, The New Pornographer's, The Smiths, etc.
I like Gaga. I do. Historically, I find all pop music boring and nonsensical. When I heard "You and I" a few years ago, I thought it was great and it made me reconsider my stance. One of my best friends also sold a novel recently and one of the main characters is a Gaga-like character. I was one of her "readers" and it forced me to delve deeper into the Gaga ouerve. I find her utterly charming, in all her vainglorious splendor. I don't think she's the best thing ever. Not by a long shot. But I can't help but defend her. Sue me. Still love you...
- The ant-Gaga haters are ridiculously pathetic. The comments are laughable.
I don't waste my time reading such putridness.
- This thread is in need of some tension release, provided by a badass pop star with a sense of humour about it all.
A moment with Pink.
- M, I always forget about Pink. She's fantastic. Great link.
- Don't judge unless you can do the job yourself.
- Why not, R486? We're the ones who can't get away from it
- Gaga is the Humpty Dumpty of our musical generation. And no matter what her little monsters attempt to do, they can't put her back together again.
- Ha! Bravo R476! Perfect post.
It's funny how these people brand anyone who says something positive about Gaga a "Little Monster". And you're right, if you don't like the fucking songs then don't buy the album . Enough people around the world loved it enough to make it debut at #1.
R472, are you joking? Miley Cyrus isn't even in Gaga's league. She's just a kid trying to do what Rihanna has already done. Lady Gaga is in a class all by herself when it comes to her contemporaries. She's the only one who writes most of her material, plays an instrument, and is gutsy enough to work outside the box when it comes to her image and music. She's also the only one who has legend after legend complimenting her and wanting to work with her. Cher, Elton, Springsteen, Liza, Cyndi, Janet...they've all either worked with her in some capacity or have had wonderful things to say about her talent. She even has some of the veterans jealous (Madonna--it KILLS her that this brilliant young chick won't beg to work with her), or simply throwing shade (Bette, Grace Jones). Not one of Gaga's contemporaries can say that they've been on the radar of such legendary figures in the industry. She's practically had shade thrown at her from the start (ahem-Xtina-ahem), and when people shade you with such ferociousness, it generally means that you're doing something right.
- And yet, R488, you remain so enchanted by "humpty dumpty" that you consistently come into her thread to post. The hilarity is astounding.
- The performances on her Muppets special were epic. The Elton "Benny and the Jets"/"Artpop" mash-up was all kinds of awesome.
- Also loved the "Fashion" performance with RuPaul
- JGL was a cutie in his performance with Lady Gaga
- And yet, her CD fell 81% in sales last week. You monsters need to go out and buy a few thousand copies each to prop up her image a bit and make yourselves feel good.
- Monsters? Because some of us say flattering things about her? GTFO with that shit. And you go on and on about how "over" she is just to make yourself feel adequate, and yet you'll never be as rich, famous or talented as her.
p.s., and yet MDNA still holds the fastest plummet distinction.
- [quote]and yet you'll never be as rich, famous or talented as her.
It's exactly that elitist arrogant attitude that is such a turn-off on this latest CD.
Good god, did you really just say that? As if any of those things are things to aspire to or that make you "better" than someone else? Seriously? [italic]Seriously?[/italic]
- Of course she's extremely rich and will remain so the rest of life, unless she's somehow reckless enough to burn through hundreds of millions. But her fame is waning, if she was ever queen she no longer is. Applause stalled at #5, the album plummeted to #8 its second week, and the Thanksgiving special was a ratings turkey. The writing's on the wall, she's on her way out.
[quote] Monsters? Because some of us say flattering things about her?
No different Gaga's defenders always assuming her detractors are Madonna fanatics.
- I don't understand people like R496 and R497--people who claim that they're "force fed" Gaga on a daily basis, are sick of her and generally dislike her music yet frequently post in DL threads of which she is the topic. Are you masochists, or just severely mentally retarded?
- Can anyone here say "M.C. Hammer"? He blew through his millions on coke, as will Gaga.
- Janbot! I was bored and watched the last episode of Glee on demand. They played Janet's Rhythm Nation. It was amazing! I loved it. I was too young to recall it live, so I looked it up on youtube. She was great. I'm a total fan. I love the DL. I learn so much shit I'd never glean on my own.
- R500 = Beauty School Dropout.
- I saw it too, R500, and it was awesome.
- It was BETTER than AWESOME! It was totally RAD and TOTALLY TUBULAR, dudettes! I brought it to school the other day but my homeroom teacher took it away from me! BUMMER man, like BUMMER!
- I'd be willing to bet that R503 would test positive for being clinically insane.
- M, how can this not be a considered a great pop moment? Come on. I know the chords are simple. A few C, G, Aminors, and Ds. But that's what Dylan did too. She's a cool chick.
- R495 But total sales in first week were more for MDNA. Second week too.
- R498? Hon? Can you cite exactly where R496 claimed he was "force-fed" anything? Are you really that delusional, with such poor reading comprehension?
- J, my boy, Gaga was a cool chick, I thought. When she is not promoting this album. I find it difficult to communicate with people who came to their musical awareness in front of a computer. I used to look forward to a singer or bands new album, go out and buy it, and be excited to see them on an Awards Show or if lucky, late night talk. When I wasn't playing, I was checking out dive bar bands or
attending stadium concerts. That is how we got to know the music, and get a feel for how artists presented themselves and if they could actually perform in a way that approximated their recordings, or invited you to know them in a different way. LIVE.
Gaga did most of that, old school and new, but come on, she is an empress with too many outfits and no clothes to wear now. That is why I posted her version of Bad Romance from the Ellen Show. She was SINGING live, with little production, dancing with club abandon and pop star attitude and making that future pop classic song come to life on an afternoon talk show! Her voice is amazing in that performance. Of course she is a good pop artist, great at swinging hook to hooks songwriter, and until recently one of the better voices in POP music. ArtPop is not really about any of that. The album is for die hard fans and young memories. I am very grateful to You Tube sparing me listening to full albums.
You should post links more often, I know the "You and I" song, but her performance with Nettles was both polished and spontaneous, where live magic happens for musicians. People still like to see proof of that even if they don't buy albums or go to concerts. How can you really know what your favourites are about, musically and philosophically by reading about them? Gotta listen to their work and SEE how they present it. Jeff Koons never helps.
I own the Fame Monster, and Madonna's Ray of Light. One each. That is all I have wanted from those two. But I have explored much more. I did like the video you linked very much, lots of great songs are written in pretty major and simple chord structures. I don't think that you should put Gaga and Dylan in the same sentence ever again though J :)
I have met and worked "around" Jennifer Nettles, and Gaga was at least on par with her as a vocalist, with more variations in her inflections and subtle tone changes during their duet. It was a fun performance of a good song. Thanks. Btw, don't ever meet Jennifer Nettles.
I noticed you made a shout out to Janbot. You must have been cute and hunky and drunk. I am sure that Janbot agrees with me that Janet Jackson's music was on point babe, the girl had it tight for 20 years. Janet is not a dynamic singer, but those who say she can't sing are just dead wrong. You know I know a bit about this. JJ sang in a small and very sweet lyrical voice, with sharp diction and cool texture. She speaks like a girl and moved like the ONLY girl. She made me hard. She was underated THEN, never mind now or on DL. Janet had the Jackson crazy gene that image was all, but her personality always came through. Her dancing, musical attitude, unique concerts and fully conceived performances are why so many dislike Britney. People should compare and contrast bad imitations. Listen to Rhythm Nation and The Velvet Rope albums since you clearly never listened to Janbot. Black artists of any kind don't seem to show up on your list of musical favourites.
We have very different musical sensibilities, and play very different beats. Classic soul, R&B, blues and jazz are my favourite waste of time. I am a classical musician, not a rocker. I was shocked that you called pop music nonsensical and not worthy of your attention before Gaga? Do you know how much territory pop music covers J? Clearly I have done you some good kid and you contribute to the libretto I am working on. I can't talk about it here. It is about real singers, fake singers and genuine fake singers. Well, a bit more. Gaga and you contributed one musical phrase - Vainglorious is a good word.
Listen to Beth - she's not pretty - Hart. Cheers kid. Whiskey Sunday.
- M- Great post. I agree with you that Gaga can be tedious. I don't like that about her. I do like the fact she can have those Bad Romance-on-Ellen moments. Only a very few "pop" stars can do that, because so few have her musical chops. I forgive a lot of her annoyances because of that. And I really like five or six songs from Artpop. I just do. I don't like if for any other reason than, well, I do. That simple.
And by "pop" being nonsensical, I mean Beiber/Selena Gomez/Britney pop. Not great pop like MJ or Prince or, from my world, Nirvana.
Funny, I saw Dylan this summer. He played with Wilco (one of my all time favorite bands). He was HORRIBLE. And I love Dylan. He couldn't sing, which was fine. We all know he can't sing. But he refused to play any of his big songs. All he did was play redundant blues songs from his last indecipherable album. The hubris was off the charts.
I wasn't drunk with the Janet post, but I'm always willing to learn and evolve. So I went on a youtube binge. She has some great songs for sure.
- [quote]I wasn't drunk with the Janet post, but I'm always willing to learn and evolve. So I went on a youtube binge. She has some great songs for sure.
- I have no idea what "yas hunty" means. I'm assuming it's an insult? Ouch. I'm forever wounded.
- J, you are cute. I believe they meant that was mighty white of you, white boy. You do kind of deserve it, condescending to discover Janet Jackson on GLEE for fuck sakes, and then give your holy grunge approval to some of her songs in 2013.
Or they just quoted you and added a hell yes. I am sure you know the etymology of the word hunty. Context is important, as you know.
- Oh Marco. I grew up in LA south of the Ten. Google that. It ain't Montreal! Tough place to be. I know black men. And they've known me. I don't give a shit about one's skin color. Im a diehard leftie, I have a gay mom, my best friend is a lesbian black chick, I'm a pretty white boy novelist who loves to learn. I wasn't being condescending in reference to Janet. I simply didn't remember her. The same way I didn't get Whitney until you. I watched some bad TV show and I got it. I think that's sort of cool and a testament to Janet's influence.
When Janet was huge and when Whitney found the pipe and after Kurt died, I was this scared kid, smoking weed, playing bass guitar with black guys who could out riff me, trying to be cool in the worst sort of way and listening to this. I was 16 when this came out. It's not Wagner. But it's what got me through the day way back when. Janet did not.
- 40% give it a D or F in the poll in the OP.
I gave it a D. I'd give her other albums all As or Bs.
It really is this album. Not her, not me... just this crappy album.
- [quote]I have no idea what "yas hunty" means. I'm assuming it's an insult? Ouch. I'm forever wounded.
Well, if you weren't so stupid then you'd know that it's an exaggerated way if saying "Yes, honey," which would be an agreement to what you'd said. Stop assuming, because you know that it only makes an ass out of you.
- I'm not stupid, and I never would have guessed that "yas hunty" meant "yes honey". Jesus.
- Yes R515, I'm stupid. Damn the fact I have a Stanford BA. "Yas Hunty" is my Waterloo!
- R517, you do sound like a perfect example of the wordmeld that is "hunty", hunty.
- Yas Hunty sounds like a movie about East German lesbians that I never, ever want to see.
- "Hunty is a portmanteau. A portmanteau is word typically combines both sounds and meanings, as in smog, coined by blending smoke and fog. Hunty combines the sound a meanings of honey and cunty."
That said, it is usually used affectionately, by drag performers and some black gay men.
I love you J. I am sorry, but I was only teasing you, honestly. I have read between the lines of our many communications and I never once thought you were racist or anywhere close. I just thought in that one post, you came across as a little condescending when in fact you are more likely to be a gee whiz kind of guy. Plus my bf was here and we were messing around so I put the black dick sign off, as an on purpose bad taste joke. He laughed. Sorry kid.
Regardless, I am always pleased to know more about you. I grew up in Toronto, not Montreal. No silver spoon, but I do have an Italian mother which is kind of the same thing for a boy. I am a bit of an ass, but charming, no? Rhetorical.
Nuetral Milk Hotel. Sad and sweet sound, pure. I am going to hunt them down at my favourite music store. It's more fun that way. Thanks kid. You are the best. Janet never got me through anything either, hunty. *smile*
Can everyone just go back to fighting about Gaga now please?
- You and your stupid friend have ruined this thread.
I hope you both get botulism.
- Yeah, get the New AIDS why doncha and leave us alone.
- I love R521 and feel she might be Janbot. M, you and I are ALWAYS fine. Yes, I used caps.
- Glancing just now at my thread watcher, I saw this:
"I just listened to Gaga's new album Artpop.
How often do [italic]you[/italic] take a shit?"
- [quote]Damn the fact I have a Stanford BA.
I don't give a fuck if you had a degree from Harvard. You're stupid.
- [quote]I love [R521] and feel she might be Janbot.
Nope, she's not me.
- Oh Janbot. Your bon mot regarding my intelligence is brilliant! Well done!
- Gaga posing with Kansai Yamamoto on her recent jaunt to Asia. His sweaters were all the rage in the '80s.
- That is a pathetic photo of poor Gaga. She really is still on the pipe.
- Happy New Year Kid!
Gaga sounds great here. Live acoustic performance of Applause. Nice to hear the resonance back in her voice and see the focus on her talent. Pretty, seldom heard falsetto too. I'm impressed, ha.
You said next album, she should sit down at the piano and sing. Right about that and many other things, you are.
- On discount on iTunes. Get it while it's cheap.
- R531, it'll be cheap for a long, long time.
I don't understand why people think she has musical chops. She's not sitting down and playing Rachmaninoff! She's playing songs in the key of 'C' in 4/4 time....not exactly the most challenging material.
- Thanks for that M! I had a nice mellow New Year's. Have a bit of insomnia tonight, thus why I'm up. Hope yours was well. Love that link. R532, you can hate the Gagas all you want, but the girl can play. You don't get into Tisch if you can't. 4/4 time is called pop music. Which is what she writes. Bob Dylan wrote three chord songs mostly in C or G and they changed the world. So were many Beatles songs. And Elvis. And Nirvana.
- This year really exposed Gaga as the insulated rich kid she's always been.
Madonna needed 20 years, a billion dollars and a move to England to become pop culturally tin-eared, and she's still never released work as deaf to the zeitgeist as this artpop fiasco.
- Where is the resurgence this album is supposed to be experiencing?