All Threads by Date
Gwyneth Paltrow On Her Critics: "Who Gives A Sh*t?"
Gwyneth Paltrow has reached the point where she could not care less what her detractors think of her – a defiance she punctuates with expletives several times in a frank new interview.
"The older I get, I realize it doesn't matter what people who don't know you think. It doesn't matter. You're wasting your energy," PEOPLE's 2013 Most Beautiful Woman tells the British magazine Red's December issue.
"It's like, if your partner comes to you – or your best friend – and says, 'Listen, I want to talk about something you did that hurt me, or I think you could improve,' sit down and listen to what they have to say. But some friend of so-and–sos – it's like, who gives a s---?"
The Oscar winner's comments come in the wake of reports that Vanity Fair is preparing to publish an unflattering profile of the actress.
It's just gossip, says Paltrow, 41. "That's why I really don't read anything," she tells Red. "If it's important, it filters down to me."
Paltrow also hits out at women who judge other women. "Nobody else can tell [a woman] how many hours a week she needs to devote to this, that or the other … F--- what anybody else says … It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. That's what we've got to let go of. That idea of 'Oh god, if I don't show up to this concert, all the other mums are going to think I'm terrible.' Well, so f---ing what."
The actress says she gives everything to her kids when she's with them, and everything to her career when she's not.
"That's my work/life balance," she says. "I've made it work for me, but it doesn't matter what my specific thing is … It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It matters what you think of yourself. And what your children think … So if anyone is going to ask my advice, I'd say, do what is right for you, and don't give a s--- what anyone else thinks."
Asked if she might have more children with husband Chris Martin, the mother of two – Apple, 9, and Moses, 7 – says it's pretty unlikely, partly because she's getting her baby fix with her brother's new infant.
Also, she adds, "I'm feeling at such a comfortable point in my life right now, like I'm starting another chapter. Like today I was sitting in the bathroom with Moses, and I was like, 'Oh my God, I'm so glad he can wipe his own ass.' I'm so glad I don't have to do that any more. I don't know if I could go all the way back."
And speaking of kids, Paltrow says she planning on taking them back to live in London after her current stay in Los Angeles.
"I don't want [Apple and Moses] to be teenagers in LA. No way," she says. "I'm looking at this like two years, three years tops, then we will go back. It's part of my parenting philosophy that children should get the opportunity to reinvent themselves at a few points in their childhood to see where their strengths and weaknesses lie and to experience living in different cultures … It's an experiment. We'll see."
- Well..not everyone can jet back to London to raise their kids in privilege. But there IS a lot of truth in what the old beyotch says.
- Poor, poor Gwyneth, the subject of harsh criticism, and only her wealth and privilege to comfort her.
- Oh Goop. Get a fucking life. The rest of us have to, why not you?
- I'm taking her advice: I'm not giving a fuck what she says.
- Well I hear that
- One of Goop's problems is that she frames her opinions as advilve. It makes her sound supercilious.
- Yet she puts herself out there in the public begging people to admire her AND has chosen to work in a profession that relies on what people think of her.
Bitch doth protest too much.
- She still works?
- Her cursing proves that she's angry. And she wouldn't be angry if she truly didn't care.
- R6, "advilve"? Is that a pill?
- That cunt knows she gives a shit or she wouldn't have cared that Vanity Fair was writing a cover story on her.
- Please. She was being very specific. She was talking about the "work/life balance" and how women have to negotiate having a family, a career,and a marriage, etc.
She acknowledged that women often felt pressured by other people's expectations, and guilted about not "being there" for the kids, and she said she finally got over that, and doesn't give a shit what people think.
Her whole thing is, who are they to judge. She used the example of being judged a bad mom if you have to miss your kid's recital. She said when she's with her kids, she gives them 100%, and she does the same when she's working.
She said the whole "work/life balance" thing is really what works for you, and not other people's expectations or definitions. I happen to agree with her. I think people put extra stress on themselves by attempting to live up to other people's expectations.
- Do you kiss your mother with that mouth, Gywnnie? Not that Blythe would *want* a kiss from you.
- I'm sort of liking her more now.
- [quote]She said the whole "work/life balance" thing is really what works for you, and not other people's expectations or definitions
Who is this bitch to talk? She doesn't work and when she does she has the means to have her kids nearby or with a nanny. I think the point is that this bitch has no business discussing this issue AT ALL.
- Goopy is criticized for being a pretentious cunt. Who in the media has ever criticized her parenting style? She is deflecting.
- I'm starting to like her, too.
- I want her life!!!
- [quote]"I don't want [Apple and Moses] to be teenagers in LA. No way," she says. "I'm looking at this like two years, three years tops, then we will go back. It's part of my parenting philosophy that children should get the opportunity to reinvent themselves at a few points in their childhood to see where their strengths and weaknesses lie and to experience living in different cultures … It's an experiment. We'll see."
Translation: I'm in LA for two or three years, and if I can't get my career going by then I'll have the kids to use as an excuse when we return to London.
- No translation needed, R19. Anyone with more than one brain cell would see that being the offspring of two celebrity parents could, based on lots of historical examples, make for a rough adolescence in LA.
- "Please. She was being very specific. She was talking about the "work/life balance" and how women have to negotiate having a family, a career,and a marriage, etc."
No, you "please." No women go through this other than entitled white American fraus looking for an excuse to quit working and start the process of driving their husbands into an early grave with their double SUV payment Mommy-Nazi-ing, which model of "motherhood" (where you never see the nannies) GOOP has perfected. Women everywhere else in the world manage to make a living, raise children and maintain relationships all without acting like they deserve an Academy Award for--gasp!--managing to get through a normal day. She's a multimillionaire, all the real work in her life is done by servents, and she would kill for some of that "work" she's claiming to be guilt-tripped about, if only anybody would hire her old box-office poison ass. I really wish you frauen would take your hero worship of this cunt and follow her off the nearest cliff.
- I'll tell you who gives a shit: SHE DOES.
Why else would someone who never passes up an opportunity to bash America, hightail it back to LA when it becomes crystal clear that the Iron Man franchise is the only thing keeping her career afloat? If she doesn't give a shit, why would she care if Vanity Fair planned on doing an article on her?
And I seriously doubt someone so lacking in self-awareness would EVER waste their time listening to a partner or friend who felt slighted/hurt by their actions. The bitch thinks she's above reproach, which makes it strange that she would use an analogy that implies she's open to constructive criticism from those close to her.
- [quote]"That's why I really don't read anything," she tells Red. "If it's important, it filters down to me."
That's the same philosophy George W. Bush had.
He was a moron too.
- Her whole GOOP bullshit is targeted specifically at fraus who DO care and want to impress each other. Gwynie is talking out of her ass, as usual.
- I want to lick her vagina and suck on her deflated titties.
- I should have given her to God when she was born!!!
- [quote]Who Gives A Sh*t?
Gwyneth sounds like the kind of person who would lose sleep over not being loved by everyone.
- I like her, too. She seemed lots of fun on the Spain travel documentary.
- "children should get the opportunity to reinvent themselves at a few points in their childhood."
Maybe that's her rationale for not spending time with them.
- poor Gwyneth, no one will ever understand her and know her needs like daddy did
- Great post, R21.
- I've always liked her and have always realized that it has only been a handful of shrieking gays on this site and a few other sites (and maybe they are the same people), who keep the hatred going.
Hatred. What is the point of it?
- Why is she constantly giving interviews? She has no movie to promote. Her stupid cookbook came out months ago. She can't give it a rest for more than a second?
Maybe if she would disappear every once in a while, people wouldn't criticize her.
It's just that she's always THERE, saying or doing some stupid shit. Never going away, even though it's obvious by the state of her career, nobody wants her.
- She's raising kids R33, something you've never had to do.
It is not uncommon for mothers of young children to cut back on work to be with their children.
Yup, old Georgie, reduced to sucking on a pacifier and finger painting.
- R34 How old are you? Lol. You write like a child. Maybe you are.
- This is the first time in years that I've read something about Goop that makes me like her more, not less.
- R36 states that I write like a child, yet R36 still employs that tired-out "LOL" and most likely "LMFAO" from the 90s if given a chance.
If we give him time, he will entertain us with a Yada, Yada, Yada from the 80s.
A year from now, he'll be trading in his stone washed denims, white leather tennis shoes and his LOLs when the news filters down to his tragic trailer park in his flyover state that no one does these things anymore.
- She's raising kids [R33], something you've never had to do.
It is not uncommon for mothers of young children to cut back on work to be with their children.
Yeah, right. Her kids are school age. If studios were hiring she'd jump at the chance. Her career hasn't been hot since 1999.
And I don't know what being a mother has to do with constant famewhoring.
- Interesting piece about mass Gwyneth hatred.
- R38 You are very stupid. Turn off your computer and rethink your life.
- And of course all of this bothers you tremendously, R39, because....oh!..because you have no friends or life outside of your People magazine subscription.
- R38, you said that exact phrase in three other threads tonight. What is wrong with you? Are you suffering from writer's block or are you just a stupid, witless boy?
I hope Goop pays you by the word.
- I don't hate her, I think she actually very funny.
- R43 What in frau heaven are you talking about? And why are you referencing your own post about flyover fashion and "LMFAO"? Get a grip, fraucunt.
- And yet, R39, she was in one of the hottest movies of this summer, raking in the money. So odd for a woman who, as you attempt to suggest, isn't working.
In Hollywood you only need 1 hit movie per year and she is part of a hit franchise.
What is your successful career? Stocking shelves?
- R47 You are very stupid. Turn off your computer and rethink your life.
- THE ice princess strikes again.
- My goodness, I *do* get a kick out of these ridiculous media fabrications about me! I mean, please: me? Get ... "mad"? Sigh. Don't you know anger is for plebeians?
Really, you should have known this article was a fraud as soon as you read the insinuation that *I* would wipe my child's arse! I don't even wipe *my* bum; that's Nguyen's job.
- R21 = Red Dragon Cheese Queen
- R51, another meaningless punk in DataLounge with Cheetos breath.
- Wow! DataLounge is cool and so am I! Hey, are there any more Cheetos, mommie?
- Why is R36/R41 in every thread robotically telling posters they "write like a child" and to "turn off your computer and rethink your life?" Very creepy and dull witted.
- I agree R54, I've been saying the same thing today.
- i think the hatred of some people towards her stems from jealousy.
i actually like her - living her life exactly the way she wants it and able to speak her mind out.
- Oh, please. She cares. Or else she would not have felt the need to respond. A simple "no comment" to the press' inquiries about the upcoming Vanity Fair piece would have made me believe her.
- I don't hate Gwyneth. To be honest, when she first came onto the scene I was a huge fan (Seven, Emma, Hard 8, Talented Mr. Ripley, Shakespeare in Love, Great Expectations, Sliding Doors, A Perfect Murder...).
However, she comes across as a vapid cunt these days and it's just hard to take her seriously. It also doesn't help that she's actually gotten worse as an actress.
- Fuck Vanity Fair. They made her relevant again.
- Iron Man 17 (or whatever the fuck it was) is not a Gwyneth Paltrow movie. I'll bet the comicon fanbois don't even notice her. I wonder if they could spell her first name?
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder poster child.
- Comicon fanbois?
You are really over extending yourself.
- I'm getting out of Gwynneth Hating, it's become too mainstream.
Hell, it's become an industry!
- Given the fact that more people hate on Goop than useless idiots like Chris Brown, Miley Cyrus or Kim Kardashian I'll say celebrity culture and peoples taste has hit an all time low.
- huh? r64 the threads on those cunts are huge
- Wow. She really is freaked out about this Vanity Fair piece. I wonder if it's going to include her affair with the Glee writer/producer?
"OH I NEVER READ ANY GOSSIP! WHO GIVES A SHIT? IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY THINK!"
Well, at least she sticks with the classics. Absolute, utter bullshit from ol' Goopy. Her obvious panic is becoming quite enjoyable.
- NONE OF WHAT HAS BEEN SAID comes close to the weirdness of her sitting in the bathroom with a seven year old son. Where was she sitting ewwwww, where was he sitting? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww
- That phony, stupid, pretentious, deluded, self-important cunt is now 41 and with each passing year, she's becoming less and less relevant. Has she really developed, even evolved as an actress? No. Does she have star power and charisma? No. Is she smart and brave enough to gain 50 pounds to play those "Shelley Winters" parts as she ages? No, and she doesn't even have the talent pull that off. She's turning into a relic.
She is being talked about a lot for somebody who is irrelevant. Did she not have a NYT bestseller recently. She is a great actress, love her performance in Iron Man and Thanks for Sharing. She was excellent in Proof, Sylvia and Hard Eight.
Chill and don't forget to take your meds in the morning!
- R68, once you resort to worn-out phrases and words like CUNT and RELEVANT, you tell the world you only have a 10th grade education.
- R68= another pencil dialer
- Makes a lot of sense to me. Most people would benefit by adopting that philosophy.
- "Is she smart and brave enough to gain 50 pounds to play those "Shelley Winters" parts as she ages?"
She doesn't have enough of a common touch to pull that off. If she wants to keep acting into her old age, she'd be better off keeping the eating disorder and playing upper-crust bitch roles.
- I agree [R-73] but I think her ego is so gargantuan that she would never play "upper-crust bitch roles." Aside from not having the talent, those types of roles are usually supporting, not leads. If she's lucky, she'll age gracefully like her mother, yet I doubt it. She'll be a wrinkled up, sagging, dried up bag of bones scrambling for the next "mother" role to an A-list movie star.
- [quote]she'd be better off keeping the eating disorder and playing upper-crust bitch roles.
You expect her to take the roles her mother turns down?