- I Want To Wake Up.
- Dreaming of the Queen
- My October Symphony
- Hard to pick one but 'I'm Not Scared' has always been one of my favorites.
- Post links, people. It's not difficult.
- West End Girls
- I guess it's not lesser known, but Being Boring is one of my all time favorites....
And the video is hot!
- GO WEST...I know it was a huge hit back in the day, especially among gay men of a certain age, but now it is forgotten.
- The Loving Kind.
- In Denial
- Hit and Miss
More than a Dream
You Know Where You Went Wrong
- The Way It Used To Be
- The End Of The World
- Not sure if I like the Dusty Springfield or Elton John version of IN PRIVATE.
- Too Many People
- Twentieth Century
- I agree with R4 that "I'm Not Scared" is the best especially the extended version. I like "Your Funny Uncle" which is about a guy dying from AIDS and his uncle attending his funeral. It quotes from Revelations 21:4:
"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."
- Oh, and Let the Music Play (Crying Game soundtrack) + Red Letter Day.
- Great one, R20.
Why aren't some of you posting links?
It should've been a single but, given its subject, it would've been highly controversial, so it was even dropped from the album (Fundamental.)
- Left To My Own Devices and I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing.
Your funny uncle.
- Miserablism. It's brilliant.
- "Home and Dry"
- "It Doesn't Often Snow At Christmas"
I like this original version better than the remixed version they included on their 2009 Christmas EP.
- the song about traveling in the car "your head resting on my shoulder" ??
- r30 that song is called "Liberation" and I love it too. It's off their excellent "Very" album.
- R31 you are a love and I love you
- Thanks, r32. Glad I could help. This thread is inspiring me to make a PSB playlist for my ipod. It's been a while since I've listened to their 90s stuff and they had so many good songs.
- Many of you are just naming PSB singles.
I don't think you understand the point of this thread, especially R6 through R8.
This thread isn't "name a Pet Shop Boys song you know."
- X2 for "Being Boring"
- "home and dry"
- One of my favourites:
- Jealousy for me too. Lush
- Many of their b sides were gems. My favorite: "Do I Have To?"
- Delusions Of Grandeur
- R39 - are you familiar with the early 90s cover of Do I Have To?
It's quite beautiful.
- The Boy Who Couldn't Keep His Clothes On - a terrific B side, about a disco boy who has to keep dancing and taking his top off. Its probably not on video.
The Truck Driver and his Mate.
- It's Just My Little Tribute To Caligula, Darling!
- r41, thank you, I'd never seen that. Beautiful version of a beautiful song. In a just world, both versions would have been more successful than they were.
- "It's a Sin" : the song was a fitting backdrop when played in a pivotal scene in the movie "Party Monster." My all time fave is "West End Girls."
- I adore this particular live rendition of 'It Doesn't Often Snow At Xmas (Live 2000)'. Very cheery and joyful. And the children choir just makes it extra special:
- R42, those are my very favourite three PSB songs.
- Definitely NOT Always On My Mind.
- "Closer to Heaven"
"I Get Excited"
- King Of Rome.
So Sorry, I Said.
It's rather queer than Andrew Lloyd Webber has written a whole musical around the Profumu affair when Nothing Has Been Proved captures the whole drama in less than 5 minutes and in a melody that ALW could only dream of.
- I was shocked in the early 90's when my local tween video show played "Being Boring" video, bare assed male model and all. That video was very gay oriented, more so that the better known "Domino Dancing".
- [quote] I was shocked in the early 90's when my local tween video show played "Being Boring" video, bare assed male model and all. That video was very gay oriented, more so that the better known "Domino Dancing".
You would never know that it was directed and shot by the very hetero Mr. Bruce Weber.
Where've you been? Who've you seen? You didn't phone when you said you would. Do you lie? Do you try to keep in touch? You know you could. I've tried to see your point of view but could not hear or see for jealousy.
- Two Divided By Zero
- Some lesbians direct gay porn. You don't have to want to sample the "goodies" to have a good eye for what will please others.
- I'm not saying Weber's straight, either.
- Only The Wind...
"My nerves are jangled but I'm pulling through
I hope I can handle what I have to do..."
- The End of the World- (couldn't find a youtube clip that works)- "at midnight in desperation, imagine TOTAL TEENAGE DESTRUCTION" always cracks me up.
- The Trouser Enthusiast remix of both Discoteca and Red Letter Day.
- I don't know why Some Speculation isn't better known. It is -- to my mind -- one of their all-time best...Very dark and sexy:
"What's your game? What's his name?"
- Romeo in Hell. I love their mid-career cd's the best. I didn't love the new one, though. I'm not a fan of dance or electronic music, and it felt like it was just a bunch of "sounds," rather than the well-written songs that I like more. They are brilliant, and I hope they leave that pure electronic/disco stuff behind for their next cd.
- This kind of music was so awful. White music of that era was so bland and lacked soul and feeling. Too whitebread for me.
- R63 here again. I forgot my favourite of all time. Shame on me. Jealousy. One of the best lyrics ever to describe the fear that grips you when you know you're losing someone: where'd you go? who'd you see? you didn't call when you said you would. do you lie? do you try to keep in touch? you know you could. i try to see your point of view, but could not hear or see for jealousy.
- Thank you for your valuable input, R64. Now, kindly fuck off.
- R64 - People like you amaze me. You click onto a thread topic about something you dislike just to make racist remarks and trash it. I'll never understand people like you. Go back to your Lionel Richie or New Edition thread (since they were so much better than White acts) and fuck the fuck off, asshole!
- Shitty music like Pet Shit Boys is why Hip-Hop rose to prominence and domination in the eighties. That is why Rap & Hip-Hop still dominate to this day. That bland "music" like Madonna, R.E.M., The Cure, Pet Shit Boys and all of those terrible eighties metal bands had one good thing going for them. They forced the music industry to finally put out something of quality like Public Enemy, 2 Live Crew, N.W.A., etc. Rap and Hip-Hop saved the music industry from boring, bland pop like PSB.
- Thank you for the hearty laugh, R68.
- My October Symphony - quite apt this time of year.
I like the dvds of their recent concerts at both Glastonbury and the O2 - they do good shows now, I like the dancers, and those new long versions of West End Girls and What Have I Done to Deserve This with that video projection of Dusty in day glo colours. Fab.