All Threads by Date
Shepard Smith berates waitress: "Get my fucking drink!"
He had his man whore with him at the time with him at the time.
Shepard Smith, the new director of Fox News’ breaking news operation, is by far the channel’s most lovable anchor—a cuddly-if-irascible antidote to his demagoguing colleagues. Like most people on television, however, he’s a lot less nice in person. Especially to waitresses.
One night last March, at a Chelsea speakeasy called Bathtub Gin, Smith and a group of friends were downing cocktails when the 49-year-old anchor, his drink half empty, noticed their waitress attending another table.
He wanted the next round now.
“He got up from his table, grabbed my elbow, and started yelling,” the waitress, a 30-year-old woman named Katya Minskova, told Gawker. Smith continued berating her: “Where the fuck is my drink! Where is my fucking drink! Get my fucking drink!”
(Smith prefers a special off-menu concoction of gin, muddled cucumber, and shaved ice when he patronizes Bathtub Gin. In fact, he never orders anything printed on the speakeasy’s menu.)
“He started smacking his hands, like the back of his right hand into the palm of his left,” Minskova said. “He was spitting. His veins were popping out.”
Smith had arrived earlier that night with a straight couple and his own regular date, a muscular 6-foot-2 30-something white male, whom Bathtub Gin employees refer to as “his boyfriend.” Like most other nights—Smith frequents the bar, located behind a coffee shop on 9th Avenue, about once a week—the anchor’s attention fell on his date. According to Minskova and one other source who have seen Smith and his date drink there on multiple occasions, the couple frequently holds hands and rests them in each others’ laps under the table. Nobody we spoke with, including several Fox insiders, knew the name of Smith's date.
“There was no reason for you to scream at me,” Minskova told Smith.
“Yes, there was. You’re fucking slow. I told you I wanted a second round.”
Smith continued: “Why don’t you take my order right now?”
Minskova tried explaining that the bartender was still mixing the second round, but Smith, visibly angry, told her to cancel it and asked for the check, a duty she passed to another waitress before telling the speakeasy’s manager what had happened.
“I’ve dealt with assholes and drunks before,” said Minskova, who has worked in the service industry for several years. “But nothing like this.”
Smith and his entourage left without leaving a tip, and without apologizing. Minskova wound up quitting a few months later.
It wouldn’t be Smith's first public demonstration of rage. In 2000, while covering the Florida recount, he was arrested by Tallahassee police for “aggravated battery” against a female reporter, after he reportedly slammed his car into her standing body. (Here is his mugshot.) The charge was dismissed after Smith and his victim agreed to an out-of-court settlement.
Neither Shepard Smith nor Fox News Channel responded to emails, a voicemail, and a faxed letter requesting comment. The owner of Bathtub Gin did not respond to requests for comment, either.
- He doesn't respect women, does he?
- Bitch was lucky she wasn't standing in his parking spot.
- photo of bfriend?
- A classic
- Let's see ... he grabs this woman, acting in a threatening manner ... and works at Fox News! Could there be a connection here?
- Less douchey than his Faux Noise colleagues but still a douche.
I presume he's closeted, it makes for a very unhappy life.
- Alkie behavior
- He's a well-known drunk in NYC. Nasty, nasty temper. And yes, gay as a goose.
- Didn't he threaten a woman a few years ago over a parking space?
- Is he a pocket gay as well?
- A friend of mine served him and said he was friendly and nice. Tipped well. He was with his friends. My friend is straight so clearly has no gaydar and can't tell if shepard is gay or not.
- Why is this coming out now when it happened in the spring?
Has the girl decided to sue?
- Thanks, OP. At least my name is spelled correctly in this thread.
- any particular reason why we are talking about a fox news personality here. btw, no evidence at all he is gay.
- He's hideous on the air, and obviously a pissy, smug jerk. And he works for Fox.
I'm not suprised by this pattern of behavior. He's a bully but only goes after women, the wimp.
- wow, did gawker out him? yes, he works for the devil but still...
- Biggest gayface of all time
- It's been known Smith is gay for years. Where have you all been?
- I think Smith was just ready to leave and was demanding: "Get my fucking mink!"
- r19 = w and w
- The story reads bullshit. "Downing cocktails" later becomes "a second round". A lot of physical words used for no reason.
Look, if you're waiting more than 30 minutes between drinks in NYC in a place you frequent regularly and your dumb-ass server passes you by, letting them know you're unhappy is in-bounds. And in NYC, letting them know with some emphasis and color is not unusual, either.
She left her job a few months later. Sounds like she was pushed for sucking at her job.
- A purse AND a bottle of gin fall out of his mouth most of the time!
- My, my, my....... what a prissy little queen she is.
- [quote]I presume he's closeted
Wow. You're really going out on a limb there.
- How much is Fox paying these days, R21?
- He says he always thought he'd have a wife but then he became an anchorman and that took that dream a way. Soon as I heard him say that years ago I knew he was gay.
How'd Dan and Tom and Peter and Brian and everyone else manage a wife and a career?
- I'll believe it when I see the video.
- One night last March??? I call BULLSHIT.
- Now that is how you get a hand "accidentally" dipped into your drink before its served.
- [quote]He doesn't respect women, does he?
Is he supposed to respect women any more than he respects men? Why does this story bother you simply because the person allegedly berated has a vagina?
- I know I'm boring, old and from flyover country.
But really - bars with menus? Bars that even have cucumbers on hand, let alone muddle them?
- r30 I think the point is that he wouldn't have done this to man.
- [quote]I think the point is that he wouldn't have done this to man.
How do you know this? What evidence do you have except your own bias and assumptions? Considering the chances of him working with more men over his lifetime than women are great, it isn't logical to assume he's never been nasty to a man.
Push your man hate somewhere else R32.
- I wish we had a Fox insider to spill tea about him. I wonder how he's regarded around the office. What a Fox anomaly.
- [quote]I wish we had a Fox insider to spill tea about him.
"Spill tea." G-d, I love that phrase.
- Idiot @ R33. He practically ran over another woman with his car. He has a pattern of abusing women, not men.
- All the attitude from a man who reads teleprompter.
- I always thought he was a cunt.
- The waitress should have thrown the drink at him.
- I always thought he was a lush.
- [quote]But really - bars with menus?
Have you never even heard of a cocktail? Let alone wine and beer menus?
Some of us like more options than Miller, Bud, shots and "well drinks".
You sound a bit backwards.
- Obviously, he doesn't like women.
- He was probably right, bitch should've danced his drink over. Did she have him on the pay no mind list or what.
- Yes, let's rally around the right-wing closet case and foot soldier for the GOP and smear the woman working for tips who had to put up with his bullshit.
You guys are truly pathetic.
- I should like to know the American definition of a "muddled cucumber".
- Funny, most gay bars have nicer clientele.
- R31 Thanks for confirming for me how provincial, parochial, unsophisticated, and downright sad most flyover states as well as their occupants truly are.
- You know how bitchy fags can be.
- R31 doesn't need some fancypants bar menu to order his Jack and Coke! And the only bar that a cucumber belongs in is one of them new-fangled salad bars, but R31 isn't too keen on them, either. He saw alfalfa sprouts and something called "ballsomick vinegar-ette" at one once and decided they were strictly for city-slicker queers.
- He has serious lush face.
- Heh heh, you're all taking the piss out of poor old R31, but you secretly crave a no-bullshit, man's man like that who won't tolerate a cucumber in a bar unless he's reaming you with it.
- A person of Smith's visibility and means could be quite powerful. It's a shame he's low-class and universally despised within the industry. He'll never work anywhere but Fox and he knows it.
- Shouldn't that be "mottled" cucumber?
- How dare he orders drinks not on the menu!
- [quote][R31] Thanks for confirming for me how provincial, parochial, unsophisticated, and downright sad most flyover states as well as their occupants truly are.
Doesn't it make you feel fulfilling to be that nasty and extraordinarily rude?
- Also, he wears eye shadow on air and everyone makes fun of him. He's a joke, even at Fox.
- Yet wasn't he just re-signed and didn't they re-name the program after him, i.e., "Shepard Smith Reporting."
I'm sure that came with a nice raise.
- [quote]Thanks for confirming for me how provincial, parochial, unsophisticated, and downright sad most flyover states as well as their occupants truly are.
Bigots love to have their prejudices confirmed.
Using your standards I could point to the two million functionally illiterate people who reside in NYC to show how ignorant city dwellers are.
- [quote]But really - bars with menus?
Is this bitch serious?
- True, R57. But he lost his 7 p.m. slot and was moved to a 3:00 "breaking news" slot, which doesn't have half the eyeballs on it. Seems like a quiet demotion, but I guess time will tell.
CNN has always ruled real "breaking news" anyhow. When there's an international crisis, regular Fox viewers head straight to CNN.
- R35 And I guarantee you that each and every one of the people that you are referring to are Democrats.
- Scoffing at cocktail menus is ridiculously provincial and small-minded. Why do some idiots revel in their ignorance, and why are others so defensive about it? Perhaps if you didn't couch your parochialism and lack of sophistication in such judgment and disdain you wouldn't be mocked so mercilessly.
It's a fucking drink menu in a bar. To act like only dandified fops who hold their drinks with their pinkies out would go to such a place shows how sheltered and inexperienced you are outside of Hicksville, Nowhere. You're laughable.
[quote]you secretly crave a no-bullshit, man's man like that who won't tolerate a cucumber in a bar unless he's reaming you with it.
A no-bullshit, man's man? Could you please be more cartoonish in your references? "Man's man" is another word for closet case, or misogynist, or backwards weirdo, but most likely all three. A real no-bullshit man would be utterly unfazed by a cocktail menu since they exist in most cities with more than 30,000 residents. Some country bumpkin who's never left his hometown, let alone his comfort zone, is most definitely not a "no bullshit man". He's an ignorant, small-minded rube.
- Shep's here in Boston for the World Series and he just announced on FOX News that he's rooting for the Cardinals.
- Like Andy Cohen.
Is it ia gay thing?
- Gee, a FOX News guy is a closeted homosexual who hates the working class? What a shock!
- r62 is way too invested in this
- He's a dirty little foul-mouthed cocksucker who thinks he's entitled because he's on FOX News. At home he's a nasty little dirty-minded cocksucker who talks dirty to his grunt boyfriend while he gets his old loose ass packed by his paid whore boy. "Oh God, fuck me. OH, OH, OH! Your dick is big!" Panting and shrieking like a woman -- because he WANTS TO BE a woman and hates his mother because he listened to her getting fucked all night and that made the little creepy sexually frustrated and me.
- R44 Is that you Michelle??
- That's why I have never felt bad about ejaculating into his drink and onto his food when I served him once.
- What's absolutely stunning is that every site is reporting Shepard Smith is gay. That's it.
So, we drop the alcoholism - nobody needs to know that.
We drop the fact he's a raging asshole - nobody needs to know that.
We focus on what a fine looking boyfriend.
Dlisted says he's a hottie. Towleroad says he's a hottie.
Yay, another gay newsman.
Give me Jerry Pennacoli any day.
- His tantrums are always aimed at women. He probably wishes he was one.
- His mother made him jump up to suckle - ruined him for life.
- r70 it's getting to the point where Internet media outlets just report on gay celebrities whether or not that celebrity is 'officially' out. It's a whole new world.
- He is actively working/reporting to prevent gays from having equal rights. I don't know how one just drops that, R71, as if it's irrelevant.
It is not irrelevant.
Shepard Smith actively engages in gay sex, and actively opposes gay rights. OUT the motherfucker.
- I meant R70, not 71. Sorry,
Bring me the AXE!
- This. Never. Happened.
- You truly are an idiot r33.
First of all, I'm not a man hater. I'm a guy. So your implication that I'm a man-hating lesbian is wrong. Secondly, what does the fact the he works with men have anything to do with this situation?
I also love this "man-hater" bullshit that's become more prevalent on the board. Aw poor men, we've been so victimzed.
- I live in a small Pennsylvania town. The local beer and burger joint has a beer and a wine menu. No cocktail menu, however.
- Wow, this thread brought out the wackos. Did we know we had this many Shepard Smith fans on Datalounge?
First we have the GOProud and Log Cabinette idiots attacking the waitress, the nutty misogynist who can't quite grasp that this guy does display a pattern towards women (like the nutty misogynist himself), and finally, we have Cletus J. Jingleheimer Jr. posting from a roadhouse outside of Flyoverville to remind us that real men worry what others might think of them if they order a drink off of a goddamn sissified drink menu.
- Has R31 never been to a chain restaurant? My partner's parents will eat at nothing but so I'm unfortunately familiar with TGIFridays, Chili's, Olive Garden, Applebee's, Long Horn Steakhouse and others. These places dot the landscape all over the country. I drink soda or beer but I'm pretty sure every single one of them has cocktail menus at every table. This is not new, either.
Seriously. Get OUT more. I'm struggling to picture the demographic that has never heard of a cocktail menu. Very old/very poor is the best I can come up with.
- [quote] [bold]Considering the chances of him working with more men over his lifetime than women are great[/bold], it isn't logical to assume he's never been nasty to a man.
How old are you, R33? I worked in TV news and I can tell you that Shepard Smith has likely worked with roughly the same amount of women as men, especially among production and editorial staff, fellow on-air talent and anyone who would be subordinate to a star anchor. TV news has been practically dominated by women in the last few decades, except at the management and corporate levels. Many TV news producers, writers, reporters and creative/technical types are women. Colleges are pumping out female journalism and communications majors at record rates. It's a heavily female field, even at FOX news.
I'm with R78. You are an idiot. And don't start--I'm a guy.
- R80 = insane.
- No comments on R69?
- Pic of Shep's bf at link . . .
- Shouldn't R85's link headline read:
"Giovanni Graziano, Fox Anchleholder Shepard Smith’s ‘Boyfriend’: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know"
- Shep's bf resembles Scott Caan.
- is his bf out?
- r84, do you not feel it was well deserved? The guy is an asshole.
- "is his bf out?"
He is now.
- We keep hearing stories like this, but who knows if they really happened? I can see a movie star behaving badly, because scandal doesn't appear to slow them down at all. Or sports figures, etc. But an anchorman on any news show, no matter what network it is, would have a reputation to protect. There was a story comparable to this about Thomas Roberts (speaking of gay newsmen) supposedly acting up at a wedding or something like that. I didn't believe that one, either. Why do so many people automatically believe anything they hear? If you want to believe the worst of someone, why not believe the worst of the waitress? Or whoever? Not every tale you hear is a true one.
- R91, your whole post can be summed up with "I don't believe TV news personalities ever get drunk or act less than perfectly nice", which is laughably absurd. I should know, I work in TV news. Trust me, many many of them are nasty drunks.
[quote]If you want to believe the worst of someone, why not believe the worst of the waitress?
The waitress is not accused of anything, except by the nut jobs on this thread.
[quote]Not every tale you hear is a true one.
Oh, but it's ok to completely fabric the waitress's bad character when she hasn't been accused of anything? You're insane.
- Sometimes it's necessary for a waitress to be reminded of her place. He was doing her a favor, really.
- His rentboy is really HOT!
- gross he looks like an asshole. i dont know much about him i have seen and heard about him while flipping through the channels......cant stand entitled, angry douchebags.
- What it's like to be a closeted republican in relationship with a closeted republican?
- An alcoholic hell, R96.
- How embarassing.
- Any more incidents?
- r96 ask Aaron Schrock.
- Oh, man. Those side by side photos at r85 do Shep no favors. They really emphasize what a bloated, old hag he's become when compared to his toy.
- Slate is claiming that gawker is "stalking" Smith's bf.
- I would stalk him too and then rape with my BIG DICK!