- Smart move on his part.
- Not as smart as having said no in the first place. No he looks unreliable.
- And I bet they'll still pass on Matt Bomer.
- Fuck Charlie Hunnam. I was looking forward to seeing him again without the beard.
Hire Matt Bomer and do it male/male, Fifty Shades of Gay. Hasn't someone already written a gay parody? Go with that.
- [quote]There is a lot of nudity in the film, and calls for the kind of things that might make a veteran actor like Hunnam uncomfortable.
Yes, that's the reason. He doesn't want to do nudity. Are the myopic idiots at Deadline.com aware that Hunnam's first big splash in the public eye was an hour of television that featured Aiden Gillen licking his ass?
I'm sure he has his reasons, but I doubt modesty is one of them.
- Seriously, R5. Talk about about brain deadline.
- Was it really a bad move? I knew who Charlie was because of QAF, many people did not. Even as the star of Sons of Anarchy, his name recognition was not great.
More people know his name. It was a trashy project to sign onto, how did he not know that? Perhaps he did and that was the point.
- Are these books still going to be popular by the time the movie(s) is (are) actually RELEASED? Hasn't the buzz for this kinda died at this point?
- Thank the maker.
- It should be that Brit who plays EJ on Gays With Our Wives.
- I wonder if it has something to do with the departure of James Schamus from Focus Features. Schamus was known for his commitment to quality and highbrow material, and his replacement is not.
I think the project is in trouble.
- R10 Lots of people have told me that. Have you read the book?
- R10, James Scott would be perfect. Especially if there's full frontal (calling the 13 x 8 troll).
- James Scott was born to play this role.
- Tara Lipinski refused to do nudity in films and look at what a great career she has had.
- James Scott and Matt Bomer: Fifty Shades of Gay
- Still hope they'll go for a Michael Mann artsy (see "Heat") film. Whatever happened to his fab creative work?
- He probably signed on because of Sam Taylor-Johnson. I wonder who she might call as a replacement? Hmmm...
- SCHEDUUUUUULE! NO, REALLY!
- BEE can start pushing for James Deen again. After Laurel Canyon everyone know Deen IS Christian Grey.
- The source material is just the worst. I mean, you could have Emma Thompson and Ronald Harwood team up to adapt the book, and it would still be complete shit. But Hunnam had to know what he was getting into when he signed on. Why does he have reservations NOW?
Also, Deadline said they should have no problem getting a replacement soon. However, I remember reading when the casting news was announced that no A or B-list movies actors were going NEAR the part. So, I wonder how many names they actually have on their back-up list.
- I recall the original thread about this and someone was posting excerpts from the book. I thought it was being made up by the poster. It was absolutely laughable. I couldn't believe what I was reading and that someone had become a millionaire off of it.
- I think the rabid fans caused him to back out. Hunnam shies away from the spotlight and I think this attention had been too much for him.
- I doubt that. Hunnam had been ambitious from day one. I think it's more likely that he lost confidence in the project.
- R22, The author's a marketing genius with great connections. The first time I read the phrase "my inner goddess," I thought, WTF? It got steadily worse with each repetition. Even the rich life fantasy descriptions felt hollow and emotionless.
- R24 That's my take also.
- I don't want to see Matt Bomer in this role or James Scott.
- Charlie probably read as far as the tampon scene and said "I'm out!"
Your move, Ian Somerhalder.
- Evidently, he gave an interview last week where he talked about how serious he was taking the role.
Now, with so many actors passing on the movie (Gosling, Pattinson, Garrett Hedlund, etc., etc.) and Hunnam dropping out 3 weeks before production, who would even want the role? Seems toxic all the way around.
- "Schamus was known for his commitment to quality and highbrow material"
Which is why Focus Features was involved with this dreck in the first place? Fabio has written better material.
- R30 Universal bought the rights to the books and gave it to Focus Features, its art house division, to develop because it felt that Focus could better handle that kind of material which is outside Universal's more mainstream movies.
- My personal vote would go to Ian Somerhalder but he's a TV name not really a movie name.
- [quote]Charlie probably read as far as the tampon scene and said "I'm out!"
Do I dare ask what the tampon scene is?
- R33: [quote]He reaches between my legs and pulls on the blue string – what?! – and gently takes my tampon out and tosses it into the nearby toilet. Holy fuck. Sweet mother of all … Jeez. And then he’s inside me … ah!
Here's the original thread which includes a few excerpts:
- Oh for fuck's sake. That is just horrendous.
Well done to Hunnam for bailing on this piece of shit. His agent must have talked him into it then someone with a brain talked him out of it.
They should cast Kirk Cameron and Victoria Jackson. Good times.
- I wonder if he ever read the books before signing on in the first place, or if he just got around to them now and went, "Holy fuck this is shit!! What have I done?"
My totally uninformed guess is that he signed on because of the director, thinking she'd have creative control to shape the material however she wants, but the author has enough clout to demand a faithful adaptation of her dreck.
I bet someone in his circle told him this could be his Showgirls, and he could end up the male Elizabeth Berkeley.
- I'll do it!
- lol, he finally got around to reading that shit.
- I guess he realized being famous for a shitty franchise isn't much of a long term career move. Just ask the Twilight actors.
- Those CW actors are lining up. Maybe now they'll have a chance.
- Remember, that hack "author" has final casting approval.
- Is "True Blood" going to once again keep Joe Manganiello from fulfilling his destiny?
- [quote]"My inner goddess is doing the merengue with some salsa moves.”
Ladies and gentlemen -- western literacy.
Thanks for the link, R34. I can't quite believe it.
- Yeah, I'm guessing he finally read that pile of shit and said, "Oh God, what have I done." Plus with all the backlash from fans about how ill suited he is for the part, who can blame him? 'Course it doesn't help that unattractive, druggie Dakota Johnson signed on as the female lead.
- I read that there is going to be a sequel to Pacific Rim. Maybe Guillermo asked him to be in it and he would rather be in a sure-fire summer blockbuster than a career killing movie of the week. Plus, the negative frau feedback over casting might have made him think twice. This is not his audience.
- I'm guessing he found out that the actor had to go full frontal, and he chickened out.
- Well they clearly signed on Hunnam and Dakota Johnson because it's being done on the cheap. I donut they negotiated five figures apiece.
Handing it to Focus Features is another way of Universal saying, "This is going to be very low budget. We're not risking anything on this."
It's straight to VOD.
- I was looking forward to seeing him in this but I'm also glad he dropped out. I think he's too good for that trash and I hope he finds success in better movies. He seems like he's headed in the right direction (being in Pacific Rim) and the new Guillermo del Toro horror movie.
- [quote]the author has enough clout to demand a faithful adaptation of her dreck.
How the hell does that bitch have any clout?
Isn't she some nobody who wrote a shitty Twilight fanfic and somehow got it published?
- Jared Padalecki would be perfect as Christian Gray or Grey.
- R47 Just because Focus Features is the art house division of Universal doesn't mean "very low budget". Universal all ready spent several million dollars just to buy the movie rights for the three books. They're going to protect that investment by making sure the movie has good production values.
As the Hollywood Reporter said when it reported on Universal winning the rights:
[quote] Focus is a logical place for Grey as it has an impressive track record of taking tough material and not only making artful and award-winning work but also making something that can transcend a core audience and generate broader appeal. Brokeback Mountain, with its gay themes that on paper would have only attracted a L.A.-NY crowd but ended up being part of the larger popular culture, is a prime example.
Of course the production budget isn't going to be a hundred million dollars because there are no action sequences, no special effects, no expensive set pieces, and the actors aren't big name stars demanding huge up front salaries. It's been estimated the budget is around $35-40 million dollars, which makes it about a mid-range budget movie.
If Fifty Shades turns out to be terrible, it certainly won't be because it was a "very low budget" movie.
- I don't get why anyone cares about this movie in the first place.
- [quote]How the hell does that bitch have any clout?
Because she negotiated it when she sold the film rights? The bitch may be an awful writer but you don't make $100 million off of a book without having some kind of smarts.
Producer Dana Brunetti basically treats her like she's his fag hag on his Twitter.
- [quote]Are the myopic idiots at Deadline.com aware that Hunnam's first big splash in the public eye was an hour of television that featured Aiden Gillen licking his ass?
Yeah but that was for TV. He might have come down with a severe case of Fullfrontalitis.
- [quote] Is "True Blood" going to once again keep Joe Manganiello from fulfilling his destiny?
Yup! I think I read that Fifty Shades was scheduled for an Aug 2014 release. Joe's going to be busy filming the last season of TB from Jan through July. So he's out.
Ironically, didn't Charlie also say that his "Sons of Anarchy" schedule caused him to turn it down?
- My vote goes to the absolutely sexy man with the most piercing blue eyes I've every seen - Travis Fimmel from Vikings. I wasn't able to post a link, but look at images on IMDB for Ragnar Lothbrok. He takes your breath away.
- How can he just leave? Didn't he sign a contract?
- He obviously included an out clause in his contract.
- I wouldn't have thought he was that powerful, R58.
- No real male star who wants a serious career will accept this role. It will be an unknown or a f list tv actor.
- You mean because it's soft porn, R60?
- I wouldn't be surprised if they go with another Brit - but one that's new to Hollywood and that's been to drama school.
- Who doesn't know this has "Showgirls" written all over it.
- Background people are talking about why he left and why it was (fairly) easy for the studio to let him go:
“Charlie got cold feet,” the industry insider told the gossip site. “He wanted to get out of the movie because he was feeling like it would be his version of Showgirls and he didn’t want to be remembered for that.”
They also added that Charlie "was not ready for the celebrity status that he would receive if the movie worked out."
Fan reactions to Charlie being cast as Mr. Grey were hardly encouraging and the insider adds that this also played a factor in the actor's decision to walk away from the role.
“Add that with the studio execs being highly disappointed by the reaction to the casting, they wanted to start over with a clean slate.”
- If the people in Hollywood were smart (and they're not) they would have developed this as a softcore series for Cinemax or Showtime. Who wants to see this in a theater full of people?
- This news has seriously ruffled my Inner Goddess.
- I think the exact same thing, R65. Cinemax has been looking to get into the series business and this would have been perfect for them.
- Maybe Charlie didn't like the script.
- Lol, R66.
R56, his eyes ARE incredible. They're almost like a special effect.
- I'm sure James Franco would be happy to do it
- 50 Shades of Weird: Charlie Hunnam Exit from Movie is Shrouded in Mystery
And so it was announced that Charlie Hunnam dropped out of playing Christian Grey in “50 Shades of Grey.” No adequate explanation. But did you know that Hunnam and director Sam Taylor Wood Johnson share the same manager? And that Cynthia Pett-Dante of Brillstein Management also manages Sam Taylor Wood Johnson’s very very young husband, actor Aaron Johnson?
Also Hunnam, it was announced in July, was going to be in “Triple Nine” with Cate Blanchett and Christoph Waltz. The John Hillcoat thriller was supposed to start shooting before the end of the year. But then Hunnam got “50 Shades” and was, according to my sources trying to exit that film. Or he actually did leave it for “50 Shades.”
All of this is very mysterious indeed. “Sons of Anarchy” finishes shooting next month. “Grey” was set to start right after that. It’s not exactly Shakespeare. Hunnam could easily have gone from one to the other. Was he really spooked by fans demanding someone else as Grey? And now can he go back to “Triple Nine”? And who will get handcuffed to “50 Shades of Grey” next?
If I were Jackie Collins, I’d be writing the book about this right now.
- Abe Vigoda, contrary to popular belief, is still alive. Just sayin'.
- I was thinking the same thing, R8. The book's popularity PEAKED in Spring 2012. It's now fall 2013 and they haven't even started production. I'm guessing the author, with all the approval clauses in her contract, has been very difficult in getting things moving, in an attempt to protect the integrity of her "art."
Hopefully if the executives were disappointed by the fan reaction to Charlie Hunman, they'll go for Matt Bomer.
I have a feeling it'll make a slight profit at the box office, but bring in tons of money on VOD and DVD. A lot of the book's readership would be too embarrassed to watch this in a crowded theater with other people present.
- GET TEDDY SEARS!!!!!!
- Hasn't Bomer said he doesn't want to do it, though? While it's encouraging to see a fan campaign supporting an out actor for such an overtly het role, are these fans planning on forcing him to act in the movie against his wishes?
- You're right about it peaking, used bookstores in the UK can't get rid of the thing.
- So, this is the reason that they're really pushing now:
[quote]"The attention and the pressure was intense," the source explained. "More than anything he hates attention and being in Fifty Shades of Grey would force him to do lots of media. That's really not his thing. Charlie doesn't want to be massively famous. Plus, he hates conforming and being told what to do. This role would force him to have to be something he is not."
- If they're going to hire a model, it should be Garrett Neff.
- he saw the light and ran for it.
- I really wish r76 would get rid of his stupid and unfunny signature. Is he mentally ill? It is NOT funny anymore, r76.
- Are there actually gay homosexual men who are interested in "50 Shades of Grey" in either book or movie form? Are you the same band of prisspots who screech about Gale Harold and hate Led Zeppelin?
- Who hates Led Zeppelin?
- Someone hates Led Zeppelin?
- Maybe I can make a very artistic sex tape with my hot husband and call it 50 shades of grey. Perfect mommy porn!
- R80 Hi, Simon
- Start with R-502 and work your way back. There are few of those prisspots on this thread:
- If 50 Shades had been written as a serious novel by a famous male author, the movie version would star Daniel Craig and be directed by David Fincher. No actor would ever have dropped out of it, no matter how risky the material.
Instead, we get this mess.
- r87 I doubt that.
- He backed out of a movie with Cate Blanchett and Christoph Waltz? He sounds like he is insecure about his acting ability. He listened to the right person when it came to Grey though. It has crapfest written all over it and is a sure-fire career killer.
- It's thinly veiled Twilight fanfiction - not erotic at all. It's BDSM as a 13-year-old virgin might imagine it, which makes it all the more embarrassing that a middle-aged married frau is responsible. There's no way the material could have ever been turned into a "serious novel."
- They are supposed to film next month. hmmmm. I bet the audition line is a mile long. Desperate fucks will do anything to get their names known in hollywood.
- [quote]Are there actually gay homosexual men who are interested in "50 Shades of Grey" in either book or movie form?
The ONLY reason anyone, male or female, gay or straight will see "50 Shades of Grey" will be to see beautiful naked people. There is no other reason.
- If I was the author, I'd just use a pseudonym, stay in the shadows and just get paid. I'd be embarrassed to lay claim to that shit, but boy is the money good.
- R93 she did use a pseudonym. She published it online as "Snowqueen's Icedragon."
- But people know her name and face, so she clearly wanted to be known for it.
- Actually EL James is a pseudonym too, her real name is Erika Leonard.
If 50 Shades had been written as a serious novel by a famous male author, it would have been a serious novel. It is fluff and that has nothing to do with the author's gender.
- Yes, R82 & R83. I fucking despise Led Zeppelin and everything the drug added scums stand for. Robert Plant's "singing" is almost as much of an assault on my ears as are Neil Young's constipated old lady sounding "vocals.
- Someone should consider Michael Fassbender- after all, after "Shame" he could do anything sexual onscreen, and besides, there's one BIG reason he's the prefect actor to play Christian Grey (uncut, and about a foot long!).
- I don't think Charlie Hunnam gets offered roles before Michael Fassbender.
Think: Chad Michael Murray.
- Isn't Josh Hartnett available?
- They should play this as high camp and have Charles Busch direct, and play Anastasia Steele.
- If you're a fan of, say, Matt Bomer or Ian Somerhalder, I don't know why you would want them to be in this. Sure, you would get to see them naked, but there's also a good chance it would be the last movie you'd ever see them in. The project has career killer written all over it.
[quote]Whomever the studio and producers Michael de Luca and Dana Brunetti decide on, the process will involve testing with Dakota Johnson to make sure the chemistry is right and that could take weeks, leading the studio to go the new, discovery route since most established actors aren’t looking to waste their time reading for roles.
- Yes, because god forbid they not perform well against the unestablished/uninteresting actress who only got the job because her parents are has-been stars from the 1980's.
- I have always lusted after Aaron Eckhart, but to get him to take off his necktie is a stubble. He takes his disrobing instructions from the President of the Mormon Church.
- [quote]I don't get why anyone cares about this movie in the first place.
Here, for the same reason people can't tear their eyes away from a car crash on the road. Among the frauen who bought this piece of shit "novel" in the first place, it's straight-mommy-porn that came out of the straight-mommy-porn closet, R52.
Sam Taylor-Johnson will end up convincing the fatty author to let her cast Aaron Taylor-Johnson. Pity. He might have had a career. \t
- And yet...if she gets Aaron into it, and it kills his career (which it will) perhaps he'll dump her unbelievably homely ass, which would be a blessing.
- He should have thought about it more before signing on in the first place. I mainly blame whoever his agent is because they should have known better.
- R102 I would watch that a billion times.
- I wish Madonna was directing this. That would be perfect.
- The "50 Shades of Grey" movie will make "Valley of the Dolls" look like "Citizen Kane."
- Guy Ritchie should direct with Madonna as Anastasia and Madonna's vagina as Christian.
- I think they need to make a call to Richard Greico or James Wilder (Kirstie Alley's old boytoy)
- They should get one of the cheaper Skarsgards. Or some other non-native English speaker who has no qualms about taking their clothes off.
- I think they should just go ahead and cast Joe Manganiello, seriously. He seems to be perfectly content with sexual objectification and none too concerned about mapping out a career as a serious actor.
- CG is a supposed to be a girlyman like Edward from Twilight, Manganiello couldn't play that.
- Manganiello's busy schedule will prevent him from doing so.
- Best suggestion I've read so far for CG: James Franco.
- [quote] CG is a supposed to be a girlyman like Edward from Twilight, Manganiello couldn't play that.
In that case, I suggest a bit of tweaking to the script. But failing that, how about Scott Eastwood for CG?
- In the space of a few days, Universal/Focus' Fifty Shades of Grey has seen the subtraction of its leading man and the addition of a writer.
On Friday, the studio hired Oscar-nominated screenwriter Patrick Marber (Notes on a Scandal) to do a polish and character work on the script. Marber's credits include Closer and he wrote a short film titled Love You More, which was directed by none other than Fifty Shades helmer Sam Taylor-Johnson.
The move to hire Marber was made before star Charlie Hunnam decamped the high-profile project on Saturday.
Speculation has swirled that the script, penned by Kelly Marcel, might be the reason Hunnam abruptly left the adaptation of EL James' mammoth best-seller. But sources say the polish by Marber is standard and the script is ready for a November start date, should the studio be able to find a new leading man in time.
Universal is now looking to fill the void left by Hunnam's abrupt exit. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the list of possible replacements includes Jamie Dornan of the UK series The Fall and Alexander Skarsgard of True Blood. The studio also is revisiting its initial list of possible contenders, including Theo James and Christian Cooke. Garrett Hedlund, who had received an informal offer during the first round of casting, is unavailable due to his schedule on Angelina Jolie's Unbroken, which starts shooting this week in Australia.
Dakota Johnson remains in place to star as the film's heroine.
- But R119 you can suggest any name you want, every name in Hollywood is saying no. You can suggest James Franco, you can suggest Gosling, Bomer, Manganiello, they don't want it.
And normally actors politely decline, but with this shit you have Emma Watson, Keira Knightley, Armie Hammer mocking the material.
Nobody even hides their disdain for it.
This delusional idiot thought every star in Hollywood would be clambering to sign up for her trash. It's obvious she thought she could pick and choose and be extremely picky about who she wanted to play her alpha male fantasy stud.
Obviously Ian Somerhalder - the only half-way famous name to express the slightest interest - isn't her type physically. From the way she went ga-ga over Charlie and totally dismissed Ian, I'm guessing she likes bigger, more muscly guys, not guys with a more slim and lean build, and since her novel is one big Mary Sue fantasy she only wants an actor who makes her pussy tingle.
She and her fangirls still don't seem to grasp that Somerhalder and Hunnam are literally the only remotely famous actors to express any interest at all.
They need to just go find some daytime soap hunk and make an offer. These guys know they have no other realistic shot at transitioning to film so they've got nothing to lose by rolling the dice - and besides, these soap studs are used to making terrible dialogue sound less laughable. Whatever acting skill they have is all to do with making the most of bad lines.
- Why don't they just try casting actors that fans actually want.
These fans are the ones who'll pay for the the tickets, no one else cares. So why piss them off, I don't get it - unless these favs don't want the job!
- [quote]Why don't they just try casting actors that fans actually want.
Because even though none of the actors they want (like Bomer, Cavill, etc) are going to give Marlon Brando a run for his money, they still have too much self-respect to do this shit.
I mean Dakota Johnson being the best they could get for the female lead pretty much tells you a long list turned it down.
- The kind of fans who sign petitions and stamp their feet aren't large enough in number to make or break a project.
- Every article's comment section about Hunnam dropping out of this movie has been really funny and really bitchy.
- I think with the next choice, they should have his name written on a tampon.
- Charlie is back on for Triple Nine and is also doing Guillermo del Toro's Crimson Peak.
Ok kids, get your popcorn - here ya go. This is sad as fuck. Calls going out to these interested/maybe interested parties:
Robert Kazinsky (who was in Pac Rim w/Charlie)
Xavier Samuel (who was in a Twilight: Eclipse)
Harry Lloyd (great choice, IMO)
Craig Horner (Australian guy)
Hayden Christensen (wow, but there are sched conflicts)
Ben Barnes (wtf)
Drew Van Acker
I will post more if I hear/see anything else.
- R122 You should pull your tampon out. The suggestion for James Franco was completely ironical. We know E.L. James's books are crap, but you seem to be taking her and this train wreck über seriously.
- Also, yes, Theo James and Christian Cooke - but I did not mention them because R121 already posted their names.
- Oh Lawdy, R128.
I only know two of those actors by name.
- How much penetration are they going to show in the movie?
They may as well go for an NC-17 rating at this point.
- "Nine 1/2 Weeks" called. It wants its movie back.
- Here's a hint R129, when you post a joke on a gossip forum, you should try to make it at least slightly funny. Your Franco comment wasn't.
"Completely ironical" posts only works when there's some sort of point to them. Simply mentioning James Franco's name isn't inherently witty in any way.
- Wasn't there a tampon-pulling-out scene in Endless Love back in the 80's?? I know it was in the book. I remember all of us giggling about it.
Looking back, it was a great (albeit creepy) book. It would have been a really good movie with a better cast.
- [quote]From the way she went ga-ga over Charlie and totally dismissed Ian, I'm guessing she likes bigger, more muscly guys, not guys with a more slim and lean build
Her first choice was Robert Pattinson, so I don't think she's against fem, slim guys.
- To the "completely ironical" guy, it would have been ironic if, say, something had happened to James Franco IRL that the novel pointed up, especially if it were something that hadn't worked out for Franco. I haven't read the book, don't know anything about the plot, so I don't have a parallel to suggest. But there has to be some kind of parallel in order for irony to exist.
As I now know, rain on your wedding day is only ironic if you're the weatherman.
- They'll end up giving the part to Meryl, she's the only one who can save this shit
- The sex is very explicit, according to the script. Charlie decided to bail.
- According to Just Jared, Jamie Dornan is in talks for the role, and the following names are also in the ring: Alexander Skarsgard, Theo James and Christian Cooke.
- Fuck yeah, Jamie Dornan.
- Never heard of that guy, but he's hot, R141. Just looked up some more pics and he looks a bit like Cavill.
The fraus will be pleased once they see him.
- R140, see R121 and R128
- You can scratch Hayden C. off. He would never be able to get in shape in time for the production start date.
With no-name actors as the leads and the shitty source material, this whole project screams VOD. They will release it in 2 theaters like they did with The Canyons.
- R142 [italic]Fraus?[/italic] If they cast Jamie Dornan, [italic]I'm[/italic] going to have to see this POS.
- I don't remember that guy from Once Upon A Time.
What character did he play?
- Jamie was season one's Sheriff/
Huntsman. He was having it on with Regina.
- Exactly what R122 said, the fact is most actors who already have a "name" don't want anything to do with this project.
And it is nothing to do with it being sexually explicit, actors are fine with doing things sexually explicit if they think they are in good hands, but no one wants to be embarrassed on film. The source material is embarassing and apparently the script isn't any better if Hunnam bailed.
- Here are some of the other guys (w/o their shirts of course) that R128 mentioned
Xavier Samuel (just did the mommy-porn film "Adore")
- [quote]Exactly what [R122] said, the fact is most actors who already have a "name" don't want anything to do with this project.
Which is why we are left with the C-Z listers at R128 and R121.
- Craig Horner
- Chris Zylka
- Alright, alright--I'll do it! I think I've already proven my overpowering sexual charisma and desirability to women everywhere in EYES WIDE SHUT, haven't I?
- Drew Van Acker
- Cam Gigandet -
- I used to look at Craig Horner's abs and nips any time they were on opposite the commercials of the show I was really watching.
- I vote for Aaron Taylor-Johnson's ass
- The guy at R153 would be nice.
- I hope they do cast of someone younger than Charlie and Somerhalder. Isn't that guy in the book supposedly in his mid-20s?
- R154 And others. Can we please declare a moratorium on Tom Cruise? [italic]Please?[/italic] He isn't even worth mocking anymore. Let him seep ever further into ignominy until he is finally not noticed.
- Why do they keep trying to get legitimate actors in this? Skarsgård has no interest in playing another vampire-adjacent character. Jamie Dornan is good in The Fall and has a bright future.
Just give this shit some low-rent guy from a CW show and be done with it.
- List at R128 makes sense.
Harry Lloyd? He's way too good an actor for this. I am glad to see him being considered but wow, no I can't see him doing this role.
Skarsgard is way too busy-filming The Giver, doing a charity trek to the South Pole, True Blood starts filming in the New Year and then the Tarzan movie
I don't see anything special about Rob Kazinsky looks or acting wise.
I've only seen Jamie Dornan in Once Upon a Time and I would say he fits the look of the character, but could his burgeoning career take the hit?
I don't know who Christian Cooke is. Saw Theo James in that terrible Golden Boy show and he might be the best they can get.
- Why did Charlie back out? I don't believe the bit about scheduling. They would've worked that out long before he got the part. Did he finaly realize that 50 Shades of Grey is a piece of crap?
- What are the odds that the studio decides to say fuck it, we are pulling the 50 Shades of Gray movie? With all the bad press surrounding this project, do they honestly feel that it has any chance of being the next Twilight? Also, if they pulled the plug now, they won't be out much money other than script costs and preliminary casting fees. I doubt they have even started pre-production on the thing. If no one wants to be a part of the movie, don't make the movie.
- R166 actually they would be quite far into preproduction, since the film was supposed to shoot next month.
- Holy fuck, he was only going to be paid $125,000 for this shit?
- Jesus, that's it? Then WTF is Johnson getting?
- That's really not surprising. He could have negotiated his pay upward for the sequels if it was a hit but for the first one there was no way he was going to get a ton of money.
Jennifer Lawrence was an oscar nominee and was paid 500,000 for the first Hunger Games which way a more high profile script.
- Still, R170, only $125K for a part that could potentially destroy his career...
I don't expect the guy to get $10M or even $5M, but they couldn't even go as high $250K?
- After taxes and agent/manager commissions, he would have been going home with only five figures.
- Salary is a negotiation. Unless you are a really marketable name you have NO leverage in negotiations for a new movie. If you want to play hardball your ass will be replaced in a instant and the part and all the fame and potentially financial success that comes later will be offered to someone else.
That is how it works. Actors have power in sequel negotations only because now their presence is necessary for the franchise to work, that gives them leverage because the studios know the audience wants them in the sequel.
It's just business.
- I believe the stars of Twilight were paid next to nothing for the first film and once that was a hit they were able to negotiate multi-million dollar salaries. Same with Jennifer Lawrence in The Hunger Games. They might have also promised some points on the backend too, in lieu of a smaller salary up front.
- All these youth-centric franchise films book little-known actors for little money for the first film with the promise of increases for each additional film. The Twilight stars took home eight figures for Breaking Dawn Part 2.
- But I don't recall those other franchises being ridiculed at the same level as FSOG.
I think there's a bigger risk with this one.
- "Why Jamie Dornan Should Be the New Christian Grey."
It's on Buzz Feed, so if you hate Buzz Feed, don't click.
- Why are some people pretending this could be a prestige project because they hired that woman with a razor-thin resume? They're acting like Nowhere Boy was a stunning directorial debut, like Citizen Kane or Who's Afriad of Virgina Woolf or Reservoir Dogs.
- A new article on Garrett Neff, who'd at least visually be right for the part.
- Oops. Garrett Neff article.
- It's a shame Ewan McGregor is too old for the part. It's totally beneath him, but he would have been great in it.
- Considering he did all those Star Wars movies, each with less prestige than the last, it may not be beneath McGregor to do it.
However, I doubt they're looking to cast a 40 year old in the role.
- [quote]However, I doubt they're looking to cast a 40 year old in the role.
No shit, that's why I said "It's a shame Ewan McGregor is too old for the part."
- $125,000?!? WTF? That's NOTHING. I'm sure he makes a shitload more playing Jax in SOA.
- Cameron Monaghan IN? He's got the attitude and the look. And if the character has an older brother, they could include Ryan Phillippe.
- Is that a joke? Sorry Cameron Monaghan's publicist, he is still a boy, not a man.
- Isn't Cameron, like, 18? Cute kid but he's way too young!
- I thought the part was that of a young man. Cameron's 20. (I have NOT read the stupid book.)
- I'm sure he is getting that or more per episode of Sons of Anarchy R184. You can make a lot of money doing TV, actors aren't trying to jump from TV to movies for money.
- I'm not into S&M, but if he wanted me to, I could probably get into it:
- Cameron Monaghan has to be a joke. He's only 20 and he looks even younger. NO.
- Isn't Cameron Monaghan one of the Hobbits? He was in LOST as well.
- No r192, Dominic Monaghan was in Lost an LOTR, not Cameron.
- Cameron is the gay teen on Shameless.
- Who is the freak pushing Cameron Monaghan?
Nobody wants to see a male ginger naked on screen.
What the hell is wrong with you?
- Plenty of people would like to see Damian Lewis naked on screen.
- Yeah, R195, who would ever want to see that?
- I'd rather see him than that Zylka you're pushing, R195. In fact, if you hadn't put Craig Horner up, I'd say your taste is in your ass.
- Scott Eastwood is a little intriguing to me.
But yeah, word is they're desperate - the guy who plays Nick Newman's son read twice for the part. Parker Young (Suburgatory, now Enlisted) chose not go in for a read. Even James Franco won't do this. I'm not sure Dave would do it.
Worse comes to worse, they cast Alexander Ludwig and have his father shoulder some of the financial load if the movie's a disaster.
- Scott Eastwood would only make it look like an even bigger joke.
Fifty Shades of Nepotism
- R198 my taste? I just posted pictures of the new shortlisted guys. That's not my taste.
Please stop trying to deflect from being exposed as a ginger fetishist. I'm embarrassed for both of us.
- WTF is wrong with red hair? I'm a "ginger fetishist"? I've also suggested Garrett Neff, Sean Maher, and Jamie Dornan.
"Ginger fetishist"? You embarrass yourself only.
- Here R202, do you need some crackers for your soup?
- Selfie, R203?
- [quote]But yeah, word is they're desperate - the guy who plays Nick Newman's son read twice for the part.
If they're auditioning soap actors, they need to get James Scott on the line.
- What they need is a french actor
- The Av Club's take. LMAO:
'After signing the contract that is the first step to any worthwhile erotic relationship, Charlie Hunnam has pulled out of Fifty Shades Of Grey, removing himself in a sudden, abrupt way that left the movie throbbing with desire, only wanting him more. “Holy crap,” Universal Pictures said, its inner goddess reflexively clenching around the aching void that Hunnam had filled just moments ago, now left empty and quivering...'
- The search for a Christian Grey continues after Charlie Hunnam wisely bowed out. But rabid fans who have an idea of a favorite actor may still be disappointed. Sources say that some of the actors who the fans like are either too old or out of the running. For example: “True Blood” star Alexander Skarsgard is out. “He’s too old,” says a Hollywood manager who has a client peripherally in the mix.
“Vampire Diaries” star Ian Somerhalder is also out, even though he put on a summer long campaign to get the role. According to my source, the author of the book “didn’t want him.” Amazing, huh? She’s not exactly Margaret Mitchell (author of “Gone with the Wind”). “He’s too old.” As with everything Hollywood, they’re looking for younger, younger, younger. (Maybe someone from Nickelodeon?)
Wow–you’d think they were hunting for Hamlet or MacBeth. Isn’t this just handcuffs, huffing and puffing?
Not so, warns a friend of mine who loves this book. Maybe no one can ever live up to the imaginations of millions of women who’ve fantasized Christian Grey knotting his tie.
Whoever is chosen, the producers must be certain. They are planning to make three movies (yeezus!) out of this literary, er, classic.
- Eek, proper link.
- I still think it's going to end up with the director's young, hot husband playing Christian Gray.
- Avan Jogia for the win!
- I hope its Aaron, R210. He obviously has seen the script and has heard his wife talk about it a lot, he has that advantage. Im a fan of his work, i think he would actually be great.
- Is anyone having issues viewing threads? I can't view threads that aren't in my history. I cleared cache, deleted cookies and did a hard refresh and restarted my browser. No luck yet.
- This has happened before, 213. I'm wondering if it's because of Windows 8.1.
- R214, it's happened to me before but the aforementioned steps worked. I tried on Vista and Windows7 and it didn't work up until early this morning but now, tonight, it's working fine. I did update a few FF add-ons but I doubt that was it. Glad it's working, wish I knew why this happened.
- The problems at Datalounge originated from Datalounge and there was nothing you could've done to fix it. To my understanding the site was like that to everyone.
- the author is an idiot! not that we needed her casting decisions as proof
who the eff cares if Skarsgard or Somerhalder are too old? they are still hot! make up can do wonders and the film is mommy porn anyway
- I agree R217. Give the role to Skarsgard, he actually wants it and he has decent name recognition and could do the role well.
- Skarsgard's too old, though. We don't want another LucyMAME situation.
- [quote] Give the role to Skarsgard, he actually wants it and he has decent name recognition and could do the role well.
He would be ideal. But unfortunately he is too old, particularly if they decide to make sequels for the other books. I think E.L needs to make some modifications to her characters. It would seem that the plot would work better (and be more realistic) if CG were an older man.
Or they just need to scrap the film project altogether and take it to cable or Netflix.
- Funny how no one's discussing the real issue, which is that no actor wants to play the 'sexy rapist' role.
And there's no way Aaron will do this. He'
s being fast tracked to the B list, and people are already creeped out by his marriage.
- Irish actor Jamie Dornan replaces Charlie!
- Was Randy Harrison considered?
- Shouldn't there be a new thread about this clusterfuck?
And I want more excerpts!
- It's a shame Joe Jonas is going to rehab apparently. He'd be perfect for this.
He was on the Disney show JONAS and can certainly act well enough for this shit.
Also, he wants an edgier image. Remember the apocryphal S&M sex tape with the beard?
- Joe JONAS??? Oh, MARY!! No one's going to buy Joe as a straight guy!
- Joe Jonas needs to get a role where he can utilise his child-bearing hips.