All Threads by Date
MSNBC President Wants 'Investigation' Into Fox News' 'Impossible' Ratings Gain
"I have never seen it in all my years of cable," says Phil Griffin."
Megyn Kelly blew out Rachel Maddow in the key demo on Tuesday after losing to her the night before. "I have never seen it in all my years of cable," says Phil Griffin.
Phil Griffin, president of MSNBC, says there's something fishy about Tuesday's ratings for the Fox News Channel, which were up significantly from a day earlier when Fox News debuted its new schedule. And he wants an investigation.
"Monday we had a really good day in the key demographic. On the night that Fox News debuted their three shows, we either tied or beat them in those hours," Griffin said at a briefing, according to TVNewser.
"Tuesday -- you guys should be doing some investigations; I have never seen it in all my years of cable -- same overnight, same everything. And they doubled their ratings in a day? It is impossible." Griffin continued, "I have never seen it. They did election-night numbers in the demo Tuesday."
The Nielsen numbers Griffin refers to include MSNBC beating Fox News on Monday in the adults 25-54 demographic at 7 p.m. and tying Fox News at 10 p.m.
At 9 p.m. on Monday, MSNBC's The Rachel Maddow Show beat Fox News' new The Kelly File, hosted by Megyn Kelly, by a slim 10,000 viewers in the key demo.
By Tuesday, though, Fox News was back to its dominant self, with 573,000 in the key demo compared with 261,000 for MSNBC between the hours of 8 p.m. and 11 p.m.
Perhaps most dramatically, Kelly's narrow loss to Rachel Maddow from a night earlier was significantly reversed, with Kelly drawing an audience of 623,000 in the key demo compared with Maddow's 291,000.
Nielsen has not yet responded to Griffin's remarks.
On Wednesday, Kelly beat Maddow 384,000 to 299,000 in the key demo, with CNN's Piers Morgan Live at 117,000. And on Thursday, Kelly beat Maddow 376,000 to 288,000, with Morgan at 157,000.
Griffin's assertion that Fox News did "election night" numbers on Tuesday may have been hyperbole, considering on Tuesday Fox News had 2.65 million in primetime and 573,000 in the key demo, while on the night of the presidential election Fox News had 7.5 million viewers with 3 million from the key demo, according the Nielsen.
- MSNBC needs to be careful as how this looks to the low information voter.
- Come on, that sounds like sour grapes. From the numbers it looks like MK got buzz from the first night and more people tuned in, especially in the all important 25-44 demographic. That is all. This sounds like the MSNBC president is a crybaby.
- MSNBC has no credibility.
- Now if Rachel shows up with a blond wig and boobs, actually gives real news, the ratings could change.
- What makes you say that, r3?
Is there a news channel you prefer for credibility?
- Those numbers make sense to me!
- Yes, r3. Msnbc totally blew it when they predicted an Obama win.
- R3 neither does Fox. They've outright lied before.
- [quote]Now if Rachel shows up with a blond wig and boobs, actually gives real news, the ratings could change.
It's a news analysis show. And isn't that what Megyn Kelly's show is as well?
- Faux gets the superficial crowd.
Msnbc gets the thinking crowd.
America has more sheeple than thinkers. Faux gets higher ratings. Nothing to crow about. Msnbc is doing well...
- Do you guys even know how to pronounce faux?
- Does anyone really watch that Faux channel for news? Isn't it there simply to support people's prejudices and to bring their anger to a boil?
- In reality, for those that actually watch television, they probably switch back and forth. For RM's people they won't but for the casual channel surfer they will. If MK has something interesting going on and RM is droning on and on (& she does) then people will switch.
- I AM big!
It's the key demos that got small!
- At least Someone ought to be catching on by now to the fact that Roger doesn't care why people are watching his news, just so they're the right age.
Miss Megyn is blonde and pretty, even if she is 43, and still able to pull off the Basic Instinct trick with bug-eyed male viewers. The Lezbo, not so much.
That aside, Maddow is just too intense and cerebral for television while Kelly is that pretty girl you know who also seems to be fairly smart - wow.
- The Lezbo, r15?
Are you Bill O'Reilly...???
Rm is for smart people. M'kay is for loners.
- UVA. ACERBA.
- I prefer MSNBC, in fact, I can't even stomach Faux, because when I do flip the station to Faux, I'm bombarded by untruths, and blatant false equivalencies.
- Why are "ratings" considered sacred and above manipulation. Neilson does not have a pact with the public to give them the absolute unbiased truth.
- Who owns Neilson BTW?
- r18 just out of curiousity, are you the False Equivalency Troll here at Datalounge that screams it out every chance s/he gets?
- Actually ... the real hardcore right-wing crowd (those who wanted Rick Perry as prez) hate Fox as the "establishment" channel, preferring CNN.
- Are Hollywood Reporter readers normally right wing nuts or did this article draw them there? The best rated comments are conservatives.
- Drudge links to THR quite a bit. They used to be owned by Murdoch's son, not anymore though. He sold it. However, through those links he's kind of "made" THR one of the sites many conservatives read, like Deadline. He posted tons of links to Nikki's site and it became huge & people stay.
- Shenanigans! Shenanigans!
- [quote]Now if Rachel shows up with a blond wig and boobs, actually gives real news
Like Faux News gives real news.
Megyn Kelly is a moron, a homophobe, and the shit that's come out of her mouth has become internet memes. She said pepper spray was a food product when trying to defend the pepper spraying of protesters.
She's a vile pos, and love Maggie Gallagher.
She will never live down Election Night 2012.
- Anything that will have the tea party and republicans and BillO and Hannity and Limbaugh and Coulter and Malkin foaming at the mouth is OK with me. They have the most yankable chains and never disappoint.
- r14 made me laugh. would be perfect if you figured out how to get in a norma desmond reference in the signature. too funny.
- r12 - the right says the same about msnbc.
- I watch MSNBC as much as I watch Fox News.
Fox and Friends in the AM is unwatchable in my opinion. Morning Joe is slightly better although Mika is AWFUL.
I can take Maddow in small doses. I think she needs to change something up. Her know it all schtick is getting tiring and boring.
- R29, then they haven't seen Morning Joe.
- r14 made me laugh. would have been perfect if you managed to work in a norma desmond reference in the signature.
- Ratings fraud is pervasive, but it is no laughing matter since millions of dollars are at stake ... and yes, content and editorial direction too.
It's about time someone woke up to what has been going on.
- MSNBC is correct. It's impossible for Megyn's ratings to improve that much for no reason. They obviously cooked the books to help her.
- Who the fuck are all the idiot freepers in this thread?
- How would cooking the books be arranged?
- Haven't heard much about this topic lately.
Fox is completely blowing away every cable network news program starting with Bret Baier through Hannity...like it or not - it's the truth.
Maddow's show is unwatchable. Can't they get her some new graphics or some interesting guests? Get a decent make up person? Everyone on MSNBC look like extras from The Walking Dead.
- Maddow talks about small shit that no one but 20 people give a rat's ass about.
CNN's global warming bullshit propaganda primetime special got a grand total of 345,000 viewers.
Thursday, November 7....
Maddow still getting her insufferable arse kicked in total viewers AND key demographics
and Hannity's wiping the floor with crazy ass Larry O'D.
- I work sweeps at Nielsen. We can always spot a FXNC diary. They always make some stupid comment in the back about Fox being the only station telling us the truth about Obama and Hilary and the embassy massacre and blacks being forced on all of their favorite shows
- Spittle flying Lardball seems to be doing the best for MSNBC.
- Arse, R40? You wouldn't happen to be one of those Murdoch employees hired to troll and astroturf the internets, would you?
Helpful hint: When you troll, it helps to use idiomatically appropriate language for the country the site originates from.
But I do understand your need for a paycheck...
- Is news outside the Internet even a thing?
I'm going to check.
- You've got to be kidding R43. LOL
Just how limited is your vocabulary?
- R40/45 - You just did exactly what the Fox socks do!
- The first half is Bret Baier on Fox is solid news told from a conservative pov. If you haven't watched, it may help give perspective.
- Anderson, the typhoon didn't happen to us. OTAY
After a certain amount of days, we no longer give a fuck.
Just like they don't give a fuck when something bad happens here.
- This guy gets the award for embarrassing yourself.
- Rachel Maddow for President!