All Threads by Date
Josh Hutcherson Says He's "Mostly Straight"
Josh Hutcherson, Straight Talker
BY SHANA NAOMI KROCHMAL
Josh Hutcherson on fame, his gay uncles' legacy, and how the best thing for his 'Hunger Games' character might be a threesome
We’ve barely started lunch, and I’m nowhere near my usual open-ended sexuality question, when Josh Hutcherson offers this: “I would probably list myself as mostly straight.”
That “mostly” is what makes Hutcherson winningly uninhibited, but also typical of his generation. New research published in The New York Times in 2010 shows that an increasing number of guys his age identify as “mostly straight,” and Hutcherson’s ease in embracing ambiguity over neat and secure boxes speaks to his self-assurance.
“Maybe I could say right now I’m 100% straight,” he says. “But who knows? In a fucking year, I could meet a guy and be like, Whoa, I’m attracted to this person.”
Hutcherson grew up in Union, Ky., a small town close to the Ohio border, and his slouchy, chill California vibe is still tinged with a soft Southern accent. Everything he says sounds easygoing. “I’ve met guys all the time that I’m like, Damn, that’s a good-looking guy, you know?” he says. “I’ve never been, like, Oh, I want to kiss that guy. I really love women. But I think defining yourself as 100% anything is kind of near-sighted and close-minded.”
Hutcherson is not exactly an average 21-year-old. He’s one of the stars of the blockbuster Hunger Games films, he’s rich and famous, and he’s self-aware enough to grasp how good he’s got it. Yet his take on sexuality reflects a healthy skepticism of labels that’s helping shift American public opinion on LGBT equality.
According to Cornell University psychology professor Ritch Savin-Williams, whose work was the basis of that New York Times op-ed, many “mostly straight” young men see the fight for LGBT equality as the defining civil rights movement of their time, just as Hutcherson does. But they’re neither just allies nor passing through before coming out as gay or bi. “These are the Kinsey 1s,” Savin-Williams says, meaning they fall just to the queer side of totally heterosexual on the famous sliding scale of sexuality. “Their primary object of desire is women. They’re not giving that up—they’re just adding to it.”
Hutcherson seems delighted by the complicated nature of human sexuality, but he doesn’t take sex too seriously—“Sometimes the rhythm isn’t right or you’re trying to make a new position work and it really doesn’t, and you have to laugh”—and isn’t allergic to oversharing. Of nude photos it’s rumored he posted to a dating site, he shrugs off any comment except to say, “I find it so shocking still that nakedness is so shocking.”
He definitely doesn’t understand judgmental attitudes toward gay people, which is why he cofounded Straight But Not Narrow, a youth organization that focuses on arming allied kids with the confidence and tools they need to speak out against homophobia. “Sometimes it’s frustrating to comprehend how people are not OK with it. If you can try to tell me how it’s hurting you, you’re crazy. You’re absolutely crazy. Like, what do you mean it’s not natural? Even if—even if, which, I disagree, but even if—why the fuck do you care?”
More at link.
- Meanwhile, in that picture he looks "Mostly Gay"
- His cock is mostly suckable.
- He's just leading you on.
- He is hot and seems a great guy.
- Does anyone know if this photo is real?
- More PR pandering bullshit.
- R5 funny shirt
- Mostly straight my ass. Josh likes hot daddy types and was recently seen pressing his pretty face deep into the tumescent trouser bulge of Elias Koteas.
- All kidding and persons aside, I have noted that there is something to this among our straight brothers out there.
- "Mostly seeking gay fans to add to established fanbase" more like.
- It's cool to say you're open-minded to sex with the right guy in theory. But it's no indication that such a guy will ever materialize.
- r11, that's not such a small thing to say.
- R9 what's changed is straight guys are now comfortable admitting that, like all guys, they're interested in sex.
How many try it? No idea. But it doesn't make them gay or bi to admit they're curious about it.
- I totally agree, R13. I was in no way suggesting that it was anything that they would act on, or that I am even interesting in them acting on. More just appreciating the recognition that sexuality expands far beyond simply "straight" and that it is OK that it does.
- It's not a small thing to say, but I bet it seems far less significant or brave to people his age. Progress.
- Josh in 2012
- Josh is mostly tiny. A pocket straight, or so he thinks.
- I don't like his mouth.
- Maybe you'd like it better if it had your cock in it, r18.
- Wonder if Josh is fucking his good friend Avan Jogia?
- Wait, wasn't this guy the kid in that "Bridge to Tarabithia' movie? He co-starred with the girl who now plays the young Carrie Bradshaw?
- I am so in love with him.
And by love I mean lust.
- By mostly straight, he means most of him, except for the dick part.
- He's mostly ugly so I mostly don't care.
- "Mostly straight" = 'Dude, you can suck my cock, while I'm watching porn.'
- Same, R25. I never understood the attraction with this guys. He's not hot. He seems like a great guy, don't get me wrong. But his looks are average, same with Darren Criss, another one who is highly overrated.
- Why do young American stars come off so unpleasantly?
I think back to young stars from the UK - the Harry Potter stars, Charlotte Church, even the precocious Jude Law and they all seem much more humble, articulate and likable.
Is it something to do with America's culture identity? "Cocky" has always been a quality attributed to Americans, so perhaps that is it...?
Any pop culture savvy people want to weigh in and enlighten me? :)
- He didn't deny that the nude pic wasn't him.
- He didn't deny that the nude pic was him.
- [quote]Of nude photos it’s rumored he posted to a dating site, he shrugs off any comment except to say, “I find it so shocking still that nakedness is so shocking.”
So he doesn't actually deny it, but doesn't actually admit it either. Why not just say one way or another?
- Yes R28, we get the message from a very early age that 'winners' exude confidence. While the marks of true character, like humility and integrity, are often seen as weakness.
Unfortunately, the result is you have lots of people running around acting cocky with nothing much in the way of talent, education, intelligence or accomplishment to back it up. It sucks.
Love the Brits and their quiet, humble ways. They remind me of the turtle that wins the race.
- Is he supposed to be attractive?
I don't see it.
- He's full of it. No straight man finds other men as attractive. They might admire their achievement or lifestyle, but don't find them attractive. You don't change sexual preferences at the drop of a hat. He sounds like an idiot.
- What's with all the swearing in the interview, btw?
- Groovy Mama, you touch on a great point at R34.
I hate this fucker for perpetuating the myth that people can switch their sexuality "if someone cool comes along". it's part of that crap mainstream society laps up, "oh it's the person, not the gender", etc. Bullshit. If you can get it hard thinking of a man, you are definitely gay. Might be bi if you can do that thinking of a girl ... but all that, "his/her personality makes me hard" only exists in Anne Rice novels.
- Does "mostly straight" mean mostly acceptable?
- R28, you must be fucking kidding? CHARLOTTE CHURCH humble? Well-spoken, etc.? She was the very picture of cheap, arrogant stupidity. I worked for her record label, and she was the bitch of all time. And we had to beg interviewers to censor her awful remarks. Though I'll never forget the time she said she hoped the Queen wouldn't invite her for a social event, because she thought the Queen would be too boring for her with-it lifestyle.
- maybe he'll change his mind if he meets Taylor Lautner
- "You don't change sexual preferences at the drop of a hat. He sounds like an idiot."
That makes him bi not an idiot.
- He's too short.. only 5'2" high???
- I'd hit that so hard.