I just saw "Teenagers From Outer Space" (1959) and I have more questions than answers...
1) Why is 'Gramps' such a genial moron? Did he get shrapnel in his head in the First World War?
2) How can an alien from another planet be called Derek?
3) Whatever happened to David Love?
4) Is it really true that he was the boyfriend of the film's director, Tom Graeff?
5) If the gargons are just mega-lobsters does that mean that our lobsters are related to them? Should we be scared?
6) How did they make this whole film on a budget of $14,000?
I WILL CALL THE EARTH MY HOME, AND I WILL NEVER LEAVE IT.
When I was a little boy, I wanted one of those x-ray guns more than anything.
OP, as I was the best boy on the shoot, I'm glad to clear up your questions.
1. Harvey Dunn, who played Gramps, had a terrible heroin addiction at the time. They would slip him some reds, and start his scenes when he began to come down. Otherwise you couldn't understand him talk and he kept pissing himself, and they had to keep washing that one pair of pants over and over.
2. Originally the character's name was Roc but people thought that would be confusing, and someone said John Derek looked like an alien, so we went with that.
3. Chuck (His real name is Charles) lives in Palmdale, and he's retired and he's almost 80. He left show business right after the movie (He was the production assistant on the movie, so we hung around more than I usually did with cast members.). His dad died in 2006 and I think he got something out of that, but I missed the funeral. (Chuck was a Jr.)
4. It looked that way to me.
5. Yes, you should. But only scared of Maine lobsters.
6. See R5's response. Add as many zeroes as you want.
Great thread! More info, R12!
Thanks, R12. Got any more gossip?
I love that movie! Am I remembering right that they never actually show the lobster, just its shadow?
The lead actress was so cute - she could have had a real career with the right film.
Hey, OP. You know that only 3-6 are real, right? I didn't want to besmirch Harvey as a doper - he wasn't that old, by the way. He just wasn't very good.
And I don't actually know why "Derek" was chosen, except it sounded like the heart-throb names out there then.
AYB, I've watched some of this "thriller" and I too can not figure out why so much money was spent making this film. Surely the actors had good managers and demanded and received excessively high salaries for these Shakespearian thespians.
Ha, ha. R5 had the same idea and went to a CPI calculator.
r12, I know who are, I was your understudy. I guess we are dating ourselves by remembering best boy understudy's; those were the days. Little did we know the hippies would be making their debut in just 3 years. Some days when I can remember, I get all choked up over that film as I was allergic to shell fish and although the budget only allowed for one lobster, I was truly fearful I would somehow eat it.
I want whatever R20's on.... well, maybe not.
R12 I guessed answer 1 was nonsense but it made me laugh like a drain, so well done. He did suck, but then his dialogue was totally inane so I suppose it stands to reason.
Let's hear some more about stuff behind the scenes though. Made-up or otherwise! lol
"Oh my God. I'm back. I'm home. All the time, it was... We finally really did it ... You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"
We are switching to the new platform for The DataLounge this weekend. All of our mobile users have been using it for over a week and all first time users have been using it for about a month - which adds up to well over one million users. So we're ready to end this phase of the testing and move everybody to the new site. (more)
And yes, we've changed the look and some of how it operates.
Yes, we know you just *hate* it in well in advance.
Yes, we know we suck.
Yes, we are the biggest suckers that ever sucked.
But it was time for a change and with the huge shift to mobile it was long overdue. We've taken this opportunity not only to update the look but also make major changes under the hood (or "bonnet" if you're either British or pretentious or both). And we have to prepare for 2016 - a presidential election year where we can normally expect to see a 60% jump in traffic (yes, we've seen 5 presidential elections so far…Christ we're old).
The site has a bunch - nay, plethora - of new features which will make the site more usable: better search, the ability to ignore posters and threads, see link previews, to pick up a thread where you left off, spam and malware filtering and more.
If you want you can go explore and see for yourself, Click here.
And while running the tests we've noticed two interesting reactions to the new system - people are spending more time on the site and more people that come stay around longer and look at more stuff. Both good things. Yay!
Possibly we've not slain all the dragons and there will be issues that come up during the switchover. There's a help button in the lower right hand corner of the page which you can use to send us bug reports.
Please include as much information about the hardware (PC, Mac, Tablet, Phone etc), operating system (Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS etc) and browser (Chrome, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer etc) that you are using as possible to help us replicate and fix the problem.
Please note that complaints about colors, fonts, icons and the like are not "bugs" - they are design choices that we've made and we expect one or two cases of world-class bitching. But they won't actually cause headaches, scurvy, heart attacks, Restless Leg Syndrome, Morgellon's Disease or the vapors (but have your smelling salts at hand just in case).
Talking to DataLounge servers. Please wait a moment...