- They're just young black guys having some fun OP. Sheesh! Racist much?
- [quote]I would have run Orr the bikers too.
Then, hopefully, your day would end with your dumb ass being yanked out of your car and beaten.
- You need to get your eyes checked if you think these are "black guys," r1.
- Did any of you watch the entire video? This man ran some of them down in the street--it was really awful.
If you've never ridden a motorcycle before, you have no idea how hair-raising even a close call can be. This sort of deliberate rundown would get anyone's blood up. Add to that the knowledge that almost no one is ever charged for things like this, or even given a ticket for reckless driving that imperils motorcyclists every day. Riding in Manhattan is like being in a battle zone.
Oh, and r1 is a racist shitstain.
- R5, that is not the full story, hon.
The SUV driver accidently hit the bike stopped in front of him, who had slammed on his brakes causing the small push from the SUV.
At that point other bikers and started hitting the windows of the SUV and threatening the driver. They were terrorizing him, not the other way around. Plus he had his wife and baby with him. HE WAS PROTECTING HIMSELF.
I would have run over their asses too.
- Actually, R3, they're both black and Latino (blatino to some here).
I live in lower Westchester (Bronxville) and these guys are part of a very well known group who cruise up and down the Westside Highway and the Hutch all weekend long. I've always considered them pretty harmless, but I've seen them be somewhat aggressive and it's true, they do get in front of vehicles and play a type of 'chicken' with them. It's aggressive and provocative and perhaps has shades of racism since I've seen them provoke people in newer, more expensive SUVs and expensive cars.
The last time I saw it for myself was about one month ago on the cross Bronx.
I'm not sure what the deal is but this is definitely a new level for them. I've seen cops pull them over but they generally take off like a pack of wolves, cops usually having to focus on stopping one or two at a time.
Local news reports say the driver of the SUV bumped into one of the cyclists and then the rest began taunting the driver.. He had a wife and small kid in the car.
- I would like to feel sorry for the driver but he is driving an SUV.
- I guess R5 didn't watch the video or listen to most of the news reports.
The bikers started trailing the SUV BEFORE the SUV driver hit the motorcyclist. It was a game the bikers started, not the SUV driver.
One of the bikers, deliberately stopped in front of the SUV, the biker slowed down and the rest of the bikes surrounded the SUV. It's there for all to SEE. What are you smoking R5?
It's pretty CLEAR from the video that the motorcyclists were deliberately taunting the SUV driver.
Let's not forget that one of the motorcyclists was FILMING the entire road rage incident, crazy much?
These pigs went on to drag the driver out of the car and beat him, while his wife and baby were watching in horror.
These guys were on the prowl for some trouble, otherwise why film a leisurely motorcycle ride?
- I can tell you from daily experience that the west side highway is unpoliced, in every respect. people drive like madmen, with impunity (and yes, it's usually scum from the bronx in hopped little s__t cars). i NEVER see a police presence. so i don't know what those guys are doing, policing elsewhere or eating donuts, but they are dropping the ball, like crazy.
- What R9 saw in the video is what I saw.
- [quote]Real bikers ride Harleys.
Harley-riders are the biggest assholes on earth.
- You should never fool around with a biker when it comes to driving.
- I encountered them on the 59th bridge one Sunday late morning. They were fucking assholes - totally aggressive, cutting other cars off, stopping short to fuck with people. Some of them were on these trike (three-wheeled) type motorcycles and wearing pickelhaube helmets.
Others wore no helmets at all. In total there were about 50 of them. 3/4s black, the rest latino.
Can't believe this city that is so hyper-vigilant and gestapo-like when it comes to petty stupid shit like proofing 50-year olds at bars are letting lawless Road Warrior behavior like this take place.
- I fucking HATE motorcycles and pretty much anyone who rides them. The majority of people who ride motorcycles are brainless morons... I laugh to myself when I see one all geared up in leather, hands on the handlebars with chest puffed out... who the fuck do they think they are kidding?
In my opinion, the driver of that SUV showed incredible restraint. If I had been the driver, with my spouse and INFANT CHILD in the SUV, I would have run over anyone in my path and not given a fuck who got hurt or died. Get out of my way or else. I am so glad the one moron got his legs broken... how tough is he now? What a joke.
Motorcyclists all across America have fought for years for safer conditions and to bring awareness to drivers to be mindful of motorcyclists when driving. Sadly, idiots like this ruin it for the small percentage of bikers that are actually decent people. Most bikers bring on their own misery by their own reckless driving and incidents like the one that happened in NYC.
- [quote]HE WAS PROTECTING HIMSELF.
Protecting himself does not mean running people down in the street, "hon." Go stand your ground in Florida, where you belong.
- Exactly R14! WTF does douchebag Bloombucks have to say about this?
Guess he's too busy monitoring people's soda consumption and giving that wacko Sadik-Khan nut-job more bike lanes!
As usual, the real problems in NYC are usually ignored and glossed over.
- I also read that the SUV driver made the big mistake of blowing his horn at one of the bikers to get him to notice there was another vehicle on the road. Bikers don't like to get horn blown.
I was amazed at how empty that highway seemed to be...just the SUV and the bikers for miles and miles.
- Shut up R16 you ignorant fuck... what would you have done in his situation? Oh let me guess... get out of the SUV, pull down your pants, and lay on your stomach with your ass in the air begging for mercy.
Well some of us prefer to stand up for ourselves and if it means having to run over the idiots that are threatening me and my loved ones then yeah, that's what's going to happen.
- Exactly, R19. Even though I drive a fucking Camry, if I come across a bunch of thugs like these idiots and they harass me for being in my own goddamn lane with my family in tow....I will run over their asses as well. Best my little Toyota can.
- Look, when I first saw the video I must admit I had some sympathy for the motorcyclists.
Then I learned that these guys taunt motorists all the time by playing a game of chicken. They zoom in and out of traffic and then suddenly stop in front of a motorist. Downright scary.
I HATE Range Rovers (the owners are always douches) but I feel that this man's life was in danger and he was just protecting his family.
- The people commenting that the SUV DRIVER was in the wrong, haven't watched the video.
It was VERY CLEAR the bikers were out there taunting the SUV driver. They were surrounding his car BEFORE he hit the biker! The biker who was hit slowed down, on purpose, in front of the SUV!
What's wrong with people today? Do they pull illogical answers out of their asses?
If they refuse to read the FACTS, how the hell can people comment on ANY situation?
There's a lot of morons in this thread.
Wonder what the hell they would do if they were taunted by a bunch of rabid motorcyclists! Moon them?
- [quote]Protecting himself does not mean running people down in the street, "hon."
You're a fucking moron.
Yes, I'm sure that many bikers altogether were abiding by the law. I'm sure the pack mentality didn't take effect and the driver was looking to simply run down a group of "youths" because it would be fun to do with his wife and 5 month old baby in the car. Makes perfect sense.
I wish he had run down every single one of them, doing society a favor.
- If he had a gun this wouldn't have happened.
- If he was allowed to have a gun, don't you think all of them would also be allowed to have a gun?
- As if some of those bike riders were not already armed. They would have returned fire. Don't be so naïve R24.
- [quote]I will run over their asses as well
Sure you would...
[quote]I wish he had run down every single one of them, doing society a favor.
Yes, because that is a rational reaction.
- [quote]Yes, because that is a rational reaction.
It is when you're dealing with animals like those bikers. Sorry if you're idea involves beanbag chairs and "talking it out."
Perhaps if it was someone you loved lying face down on the ground getting the shit beaten out of them, you wouldn't be so tolerant.
Every last one of those assholes is either useless or a danger to society and you know it.
- Another fine example of why many consider latinos to be wild animals that belong in the fucking jungle.
- Here's what it really comes down to, and what our PC media will not tell you: The bikers are mostly Puerto Ricans and some blacks from the Bronx. Working-class. They deliberately taunt whites in expensive vehicles who are driving up from Manhattan. "Getting back at whitey, etc." This has been going on for a while.
Bloomberg, of course, is doing nothing because somebody might be smoking in a bar somewhere or buying an extra large soda.
- [quote]Sorry if you're[sic] idea involves beanbag chairs and "talking it out."
I'll have to "Oh Dear" myself for this mistake.
- [quote]They zoom in and out of traffic and then suddenly stop in front of a motorist.
Why? Do they realize that they could get killed?
- Please, they kill each other in their own ghettos, r32. You think they care if a white guy runs them over? Then there can be candlelight vigils held all over America for these victims of racism.
- I love how none of these thugs are ever seriously punished, all that happens is a slap on the wrist. Ridiculous. Whip the piss out of them and see if they try something like this again.
- are these kids? why the fuck would they do this? really dumb. i hope their licenses get taken away from them and i read in the paper that he may never walk again.
- The sky was so blue that day....
- Golly, R32, I guess not! Maybe you should tell them that!
- R33, the family is Asian, not white.
- One of the bikers in now in a coma. His mother was crying about her poor baby on TV.
This was on the local NBC new about five minutes ago.
Is this woman serious? Of course, it's her son, but didn't she see the video?! She was acting as if her son was totally innocent.
If her asshole son hadn't been out on his motorcycle taunting the SUV driver, he wouldn't now be in a coma.
She was going on about people, and the police, caring about justice for the driver, "But what about my son?"
Yeah, lady what about your son? Why was he out acting like an animal? Bothering an innocent driver?
- [quote]he may never walk again
The Asian guy or the biker?
- The biker, R41.
- Thanks, R42. WHY did he stop short like that, the biker? What a dumbass thing to do.
- R40, I saw it and had the exact same thought as you did. WTF was the guy supposed to do surrounded by these hyenas?
Had her "precious baby" not been a piece of shit harassing people in traffic with other mothers' "precious babies," her scumbag son wouldn't be in the hospital. KARMA.
The only problem I have is that the driver didn't take down more of them. And if that driver needs money for a legal team, I'd be the first to give him some.
They were playing games in traffic to hurt people and it cost a few of those roaches. Good.
- He stopped short on purpose. This is what assholes do to fuck with people. They better not try and press charges against the driver. What in the hell was he supposed to do?
My God, look what ended up happening to him.
- Black people are judged more harsher. Just give racists more excuses not to like them. They were stupid and jerks though. A lot of bikers are road hoggers.
- The best part about all of this is that the evidence AGAINST the bikers was filmed by... wait for it... one of the belligerent BIKERS via his helmet cam!
Could they get any stupider!?!!!
- Ray Kelly said that on Sunday alone, they got 200 calls to 911 about these savages. The driver did the world a favor by taking one of them out.
- [quote]Black people are judged more harsher.
For all sorts of things.
- [quote]Black people are judged more harsher. Just give racists more excuses not to like them.
Black people, R46? IIRC, most of the bikers were Latino and the SUV driver and his family were Asian.
Whatever race or nationality the bikers were, they caused their own problems. If they weren't out causing trouble, one of them wouldn't be the the hospital in a coma.
It was very clear form the video, they were on the prowl for trouble. One of them was filming the entire incident! If none of their actions were pre-meditated why film it?
Could these bilers be even more ignorant, they caused the violence which resulted in two people being badly injured and one of them was filming it!
- I bet that asian will get a gun and carry it in his car now and the next time a motorcycle gets close to his car he will blow that fuckers brains out.
Quite honestly if my wife and kid were in the car I would have gone from running away to mowing down all those fuckers - chase them down and run them over see how they like it.
- Because the overwhelming majority of the riders involved in this event and others like it (they call themselves the "Hollywood Stuntz")are black or latino the apologists for and defenders of anarchy,thuggery,intimidation,assault,flagrant disregard for the safety of others AND the law and God knows WHAT else are out here desperately trying to justify and rationalize these fuckers who for no legitimate reason and NO legal authority intentionally surrounded and blockaded a hapless family on a public highway...impeding the entire flow of traffic and creating a major safety hazard in the process.
And this is OK with you unhinged,morally relativistic assholes?
These bikers are purposely targeting and cowing innocent motorists or aggressively creating dangerous situations in order to declare "victimization" so as to give themselves the excuse to then mete out their own idea of vigilante "justice".
Here is another example of their gangster tactics:
- The bikers provoked and terrified the driver. Too bad for the deceased riders that their game of "chicken" left them dead ducks.
- They are a menace and should be destroyed.
- They will be charged with hate crime.
- The problem is they aren't dead, R53. Only one fucker is paralyzed, and his charming wife with the neck tattoos was trying to tell us how "innocent" he was because it makes so much sense for some guy in a car with his wife and 5 month old daughter to try and start trouble with dozens and dozens of animals on motorcycles. Perfectly logical scenario.
The rest of the savages will continue to be out there for the rest of us to deal with. And fuck any one of you idiots trying to justify what they do. You're sickos just like them.
- It's all fun and games until someone gets run the fuck over, isn't it? Perhaps they'll think twice next time. Have fun in your coma, bro.
- That video makes my heart pound...I'd have been absolutely terrified if I was the SUV driver. Outnumbered 50 to 1 by what is essentially a swarm of wet hornets. No, scratch that--a horde of semi-domesticated street apes. How stupid of them to upload this incriminating video, and how convenient for it to cut off just before they beat the man senseless.
- Oh, god. Another thread ruined by fraus.
- I would have been terrified too and the bikers clearly provoked it, but running over the bike/biker (I couldn't really tell from the video) and speeding away was the totally wrong thing to. The driver should have pulled over and called 911. Yes, it's easy to say if you're not the one sitting in a vehicle surrounded by a bunch of Sons of Anarchy wannabes, but running away clearly escalated the situation in a way that they wanted.
- WTF are you talking about, R59? Would you prefer posts that ask how big their cocks were because it takes big men to take on one guy, his wife and baby.
- [quote]Some of them were on these trike (three-wheeled) type motorcycles and wearing pickelhaube helmets.
The etymology of the word "pickelhaube" is fascinating. It comes from the gold miner slang term "Pickle Haver." During pioneer days, tradition dictated that you couldn't buy pickles -- you just had to stand in the street and hope a shopkeeper threw one to you. Pickle-loving guys got sick of having to pay constant attention, so they started wearing these hats so they could passively acquire pickles on the spike as they went about their business.
Jump forward 700 years, and now they're worn as a cultural identifier by guys who are really into motorcycles. Ironically, they don't want a pickle.
- I cannot believe there are people defending these idiot motorcyclists. What was that moron doing who stopped in front of the car? The car was surrounded by bikes and this guy was alone with his wife and baby. He stops for a few seconds after hitting the idiot and then it does appear he panics after all of the bikes surround his car.
Then to be pulled out of the car and beaten by a bunch of them in front of his wife and daughter? Yes, I suppose he was right to have been afraid of these neanderthals in the first place.
Those of you who ride and so are defending the bikers, get serious! Your experience of taking a leisurely ride and not being an asshole is probably very different to what these douchebags appear to have been doing here!
- [bold]Donate To The Justice For Jay Meezee Fund Now! (No, Please Don't)[/bold]
Aspiring rapper Jeremiah Mieses, aka "Jay Meezee" needs your help. Despite standing in the path of a family man scared for his life, Meezee has medical bills that need to be paid, yo.
Now hang on, I hear what you're saying:
~~ Meezee and his gang of squids hunted down and stabbed a family man in the face and body with knives in front of his two-year-old daughter. Why should I care about his bills? ~~
That's an excellent question, and I'm glad you asked.
You see, Meezee is in a coma, paralyzed from the waist down.
~~ But didn't he bring this upon himself? Aren't people supposed to be accountable for their actions? ~~
Don't ask questions.
You can donate here (No!)
On the site one contributor, Patrick Whitney, who donated $10 had this to say:
~~ I am sorry you and your family have to experience such pain and heartache, and I hope you come out of this with the ability to live a somewhat normal and happy and fulfilling life but your medical bills should be paid solely by the mob of bikers who you were riding with that day. If they feel such a need to act on behalf of another member of their "crew" it should not be limited to inflicting pain and fear upon other citizens. They need to take responsibility for the actions of their aggressive mob mentality. The reason you were injured is a result of your friends trying to create a conflict when no conflict was necessary. I wish you a speedy recovery and as much joy and good health as you can possibly experience in your lifetime but I personally feel that the fact of your motorcycle crew is more than willing to assault an alleged "antagonist" in front of his wife and infant child yet won't fully fund your rehabilitation which is a direct result of their aggression is appalling. ~~
- Where were he police??
- It's clear the SUV guy panicked when they surrounded him and came to a complete stop. He thought he saw a clear path OUT of there so he gunned it, but it turned out not to be quite so clear after all. The rest is history. I'd have done the exact same thing. There were no entrances/exits for the longest time, so calling 911 wouldn't have done shit unless they dropped down in a helicopter.
- R60, he called 911 before that happened. They kept coming after him. And had he "pulled over," (on the highway, no less), they would've kicked his ass then. You might as well be surrounded by rabid dogs.
I want to know how in the hell it got to that point and not a cop car was scene. It was in the city for fuck sake.
- Play by play, courtesy of the DM:
- I would like to extend a personal invitation to those bikers to come and try that bullshit in rural northwestern Pennsylvania. A few broken legs would be the LEAST of their worries.
- They've probably gotten away with that behavior for years. The first generation of Black Bikers were retirees. Now with the newer folks they are bringing the thug culture to the road. Just act right and like you have some sense. Jail time
- [quote]The driver should have pulled over and called 911.
What kind of a fucking moron are you? He was terrified by the way they were taunting him. He didn't want to stop because he feared for his safety if he did. And of course, that's exactly what happened.
- "Pull off to the side and call 911"
There are so many hopelessly stupid people posting on this thread that I seriously fear for all of humanity right now.
- The bikers, no matter their ethnicity, acted like animals and suffered the consequences of acting like a rogue biker gang from The Stand. I sympathize with the man and his wife, and hope they don't get any more trouble, legal or otherwise.
- r72 Yes, asking "God" for help is a sure sign of intelligence.
- Anyone who lives in NYC and owns a car knows ALL ABOUT these fucking motorcyclist assholes. For whatever reason the FDR and West Side Highway are filled with morons on motorcycles on the weekends.
Obviously they were jonesing for a confrontation. The driver was lucky he wasn't killed.
- What is it about the herd mentality that makes one forget he is no match for a 2-ton steel vehicle?
- What a clever and riveting statement, R74! And you're only the 1,984,673 person to post that here on DL! Wow!
Try again, idiot.
- Did you see the injured man's wife interviewed during the Anderson Cooper's show? She
was arrogant beyond belief.
- r77 Just calling you out on your delusion, dear. Or would that be your cliche?
- The video made me sick to my stomach. It's like cougars running down a rabbit.
The bikers were not in their lanes, but all over the road. The SUV that was clearly cut off. The driver panicked when confronted, but who can blame him? I don't.
The world is a scary place anymore.
- The dumb motherfucker who said that the driver should have pulled over to call 911 is TOO stupid to live.
I live in Washington Heights and this past Sunday was scary as shit with these fucking animals in the street. In fact, I saw this same crew running up 170/Broadway close to 2pm in the afternoon. First of all, they were NOT paying attention to street rules. They were driving through red lights, not one, I mean 50-60 of these assholes in regular bikes and the three wheelers. Thankfully I figured these dumb fucks were going to run through the lights on Broadway when I saw them streets away so I dragged my elderly mom back on the street b/c I feared that they would run her down.
I didn't know what would happen with the cars across the street who had the green light and were trying to go on their way while these dickless wonders were intimidating drivers and pedestrians to not cross b/c their whole stupid fucking crew had to hit the red light on 170 and continue going uptown.
At the time I told my mom, one of these morons will get himself hit and then his enabling mother will go on the news and cry for her baby. Well tough shit. These guys are animals and they deserve to get wrecked. The problem is that they clearly want to take people down with them. No way would I or anyone with sense stop when you see these guys coming. They were clearly looking to show that they had a dick between their legs. Pathetic.
- R52's video starts at the 1 minute mark. Bring it back to zero and watch these assholes. They ran like 4 or 5 red lights, drove on the wrong side of the road and it looks like they were arguing with the Prius driver because he dared to try to go through a green light when they all wanted to go through a red light
- Whatever you say, R74 / R79. I'm off to have a good cry now.
- Oh and I'll also confirm that they were driving up/down the wrong way on the streets. It was insane. Every year it gets worse and there apparently are no cops around when you need them. Instead of patting down potheads maybe police need to do something about these motorcycle thugs.
- The father of the biker in the hospital is a pastor .
His congregation was getting on him on his fb page for having a son involved with a mob of biker assholes.
- Deleted Videos Show Asshat Bikers Before Range Rover Attack
- Those creeps love to claim the sidewalk too.
I was walking with my elderly mother -- I know, Mary! -- when these bikers came around a corner by the 125th St subway like a swarm out of the Warriors movie. We were almost taken down by two on either side of a very narrow sidewalk. Six inches either way and there would have been blood and broken bones.
Maybe Bloomberg and Co will do something. This incident has provoked a reaction.
- FINALLY! I've been waiting forever! Ripped from the headlines1
LAW and ORDER, SUV!
- Red Rover, Red Rover send the Land Rover on over!
- just watched the whole video. The first question that came to mind was, why didn't the driver lock the fucking doors?
His door was opened by one of the thugs at an earlier point and he managed to drive off. Why didn't he lock it?
Oh well. Sad situation.
- I grew up in NYC in the 90s, but these days it seems like the prolapsing asshole of a very sick organism.
- I was wondering the same thing, r90, but then when they caught up to him again, you see that one of the guys broke the window when he realized the door was locked.
Instagram pics of the aftermath with the poor driver on the ground and his vehicle damaged.
Notice the comments.
- Bloomberg has already checked out as mayor, that is obvious. Ray Kelly is the one taking charge here.
All I can say is thank God for the clear, unambiguous video images.
- I hate motorcycle gangs and people who ride motorcycles in general. It's understandable that the SUV driver panicked which is unfortunate, but I don't feel bad for the injured bikers. These guys are fucking pains in the ass and act like they own the road.
- [quote]Notice the comments.
Man, black people sound just as stupid on the internet as they do in real life.
- It is people like the ones who responded to the photo on Instagram that make me so fucking happy that I don't live in the fucked up, low-expectation having environment called the U.S. of A any longer. What a cesspool.
- The Asian driver is part of one of the richest banking families in the world. I kid you not.
Can anyone say,
"Bonfire Of The Vanities, part II"?
- Here is one of the loser's raps on Youtube. He pisses sitting down now.
- People who think Manhattan or NYC are glamorous don't realize that the rich and famous are small in number, and hide behind walls of security, ande that for every one of them, there are a thousand slugs like this.
- Should we bring the children out and hide them in the countryside? Is it that dangerous now?
- In DC, all the local news coverage have reported on the status of the bikers but not the SUV victim. How's he doing? Did he sustain any serious injuries? How are his wife and child?
- He was stabbed in the face, stiched up, recovering. The wife and kid were unharmed.
- Why can't shit like this happen to Kim Kardashian?
- stitched, obviously.
- I guess when he recovers he'll have to join the Cripps! Bahahahahahaha!
- Let's give the guy a standing ovation!
- I wonder if there's any revenge being plotted?
- STABBED IN THE FUCKING FACE!??!
- Are any of these bikers in jail?
And I repeat R108's anguish: STABBED IN THE FUCKING FACE!??!
- [quote] I guess when he recovers he'll have to join the Cripps! Bahahahahahaha!
He'll have to, he left his bloods all over the pavement.
- They have brought in two (or three - I think I heard one more was brought in) of the bikers for questioning. Not sure if they are being held.
- Shouldn't all the bikers be arrested for intimidating a civilian. It was gang activity.
- LMFAO @ R103 and wholeheartedly agree. That twat is trying to get on the cover of Vogue now. She's vile.
- "Thug" is the new racist word for "black."
- [quote] People who think Manhattan or NYC are glamorous don't realize that the rich and famous are small in number, and hide behind walls of security, ande that for every one of them, there are a thousand slugs like this.
I live in Manhattan and no, there are no "walls of security" and there aren't a thousand "slugs" for every other NYer in Manhattan. This is a small group of people in upper Manhattan in a neighborhood that has been shitty for more than 50 years.
- In today's ny papers, they're reporting that the DA is not going to charge the bikers. They are still looking for the one who attacked the driver, he dragged him out of the car and stomped on his head, according to witnesses and the cops recovered new video and other video recorded by other bikers.
They received over 200 calls reporting their reckless driving. Lots of them have fake plates so they are hard to track down.
- Remember the good old days when thug trash just shot at each other?
- [quote]I live in Manhattan and no, there are no "walls of security"
Then you must have a shit doorman/front desk.
[quote]The Asian driver is part of one of the richest banking families in the world. I kid you not.
If this is true, I hope they do us all a favor and hire some Chinese gangs to take out every one of those animals.
Cougars running down a rabbit!
- R119, I'll add mine: All of the above.
- So if over 200 people called 911, why weren't cops there?
Supposedly these guys do this every weekend? Why? Cops could stop it in a heartbeat by doing the old "CompStat" method. But they don't. Why not? Cuz they can't stop and frisk and take possession of drugs that they can use and sell themselves. Much more lucrative and fun to grab those drugs. Much safer to arrest potheads, enforce smoking bans and bravely capture turnstile jumpers.
Why don't you hysterical ALL CAPS users demand an investigation as to why this has been allowed to go on for what you claim is years?
- [quote] Then you must have a shit doorman/front desk.
Doormen are now "walls of security"? Lol. I'll remember that at Christmas. "A tip? Why, you're a wall of security, why would a wall need a tip? I am the one who knocks ---- at your wall of security!"
- [quote]The SUV driver accidently hit the bike stopped in front of him, who had slammed on his brakes causing the small push from the SUV.
Then the SUV was driving TOO DAMNED CLOSE. Basic driving school tells you to give Motorcycels twice the distance of a car length— if not at least one car length. if this SUV was so close that it didn't have time to stop— IT WAS HIS FAULT.
This is true for any fender bender. The person behind the vehicle is responsible for keeping a safe distance - period.
- R122, I was actually joking.
- [R123] is the crying mother.
- R121, the over 200 calls were not related to the incident but other reckless driving incidents. Over 50 bikes were taken away, according to reports.
- Out where I live on weekends, cops will pull you over for a loud muffler.
They're trying to catch DUIs and illegals. They're pretty successful at catching them. NYPD could take a hint and use excessive noise as an excuse for pulling over bikers.
- R123, the biker had passed him in his own lane and then slowed down while looking back at him, trying to create contact.'
- The driver of the SUV will not be charged. But I bet 100% that the guy lying in hospital will sue the rich man for his injuries in the civil court.
I don't own a car so i don't know but will his insurance cover the judgement of the suv driver?
- It doesn't seem like a scene that would happen in a sophisticated city.
- r123, they cut in front of him. I've had them do the same to me on the FDR and I drive like an old lady. They are biker gangs out to fuck with people. They ride between lanes at a very high speed, swerving back and forth and are extremely intimidating. And just in case you think I'm a racist, I'm a Latino.
- These bikers are grown men without jobs, responsibilities, ethics, and a purpose in life.
Coming to a city near you.
- That biker who may never walk away is a married father of 3. His wife is insisting for the suv driver to be charged.
- This is allegedly a description of the traffic record of the now-paralyzed asshole biker:
[quote] Edwin E. Mieses, 26, of 17 Bernard Ave., Nov. 28, charged with operating a motor vehicle after license was revoked, illegal possession of a Class D narcotic, operating a motor vehicle with defective equipment and on five outstanding warrants;
Arrested Again in May, Since 1999, he has been ticketed by police 16 times, in Lawrence, Methuen, Roxbury, Andover, and New Hampshire, according to registry records.
In June, the Registry notified the National Driver Register that Mieses was a habitual traffic offender whose right to drive in Massachusetts was revoked until 2017, records show."
- maybe the biker's wife needs to have a little accident of her own.
- Who posted the vid initially in the first place? Did the moron that shot the video think it was funny or would garner sympathy? The video really incriminates the bikers. The biker that was bumped clearly stopped short in front of the SUV so that it had to bump his bike. What psycho, ghetto assholes.
- [quote]It doesn't seem like a scene that would happen in a sophisticated city.
It didn't happen in a sophisticated city. It happened in New York.
- The driver was surrounded and he panicked.
I probably would have done the same thing he did.
- picture of the suv driver linked, he's lying on the road face down.
- I can't believe NY isn't prosecuting these bikers.
- I would assume from the way drive they have a death wish so it's too bad the biker didn't just die.
- Here's an article for what to do if you find yourself surrounded by a herd of angry bikers (and none of them look like Jax Teller!)
- NO WAY the driver should be charged.
- He'll never ride a bike again, R141, and he'll have a long time to reflect on how his own actions made that happen.
- HAHA r107/Paris. Have fun with your Muslim invasion.
- that guy didn't even have a license to drive in MA! what kind of trouble can he be in ny? anybody knows?
he's hit the jackpot now, he will collect damages in civil court for his injuries.
why the fuck didn't the wife take picture or video footage of them? don't these rich folks own fancy phones?
and are they really from NYC? because the real new yorkers i know carry mace. or they would know to lock their fucking doors.
i read a report that said the couple was celebrating their 1 yr anniversary. Maybe he was drunk driving?
- Asian driver, R146.
- R114. Guess what dear bleeding heart...if they were white I'd use the EXACT same lexicon to describe the sociopaths.
Just to refresh your memory...I see no mention of race anywhere.
Don't forget aspiring rapper and music artist!
It's simply the same fatuous mentality that allows Domino's employees to post videos of themselves blowing snot into the pizza sauce.
- I've seen a bit of this video, where a bunch of bikers chase a guy driving a Range Rover. What the hell happened, exactly?
Deleted Videos Show Asshat Bikers Before Range Rover Attack
Okay, on Sunday there was a huge mass ride of a number of motorcycle clubs in NYC had a kind of end-of-the-season get together. We're talking 200-300 bikers who were riding like assholes, as their deleted videos show.
At some point at around 1:30 in the afternoon on the West Side Highway in Manhattan, one of those riders (28-year-old Christopher Cruz) brake-checked the driver of a black Range Rover (33-year-old Alexian Lien). Lien rear-ended Cruz, and a number of bikers swarmed around the Range Rover to see what happened. Lien had his wife and two-year-old in the car. He panicked and took off, knocking over a number of bikers.
One rider Jay Mieses was sent to the hospital with serious injuries. He is currently in a medically-induced coma and his family claims he may be paralyzed from the waist down. Mieses, by the way, has a criminal history of riding infractions and is banned from driving in Massachusetts until 2017, as the Boston Globe reports.
The bikers gave chase, stopping Lien further up the highway. When one biker threw open Lien's door, Lien took off again, knocking over more bikers. At either this second stop or the first, one of Lien's tires was slashed. The chase resumed, but when Lien hit traffic on 178th street, riders mobbed his Range Rover again, bashing in one window, pulling him from his SUV, and beating him in the street. You can see the scene of the beating below.
Lien was taken to the hospital and released with stitches.
Holy crap. Has anyone been arrested?
Yes. The police arrested Christopher Cruz and basically threw the book at him for reckless everything. One other rider who was one of the first to attack Lien's car on 178th street turned himself in and another was arrested, also for starting the attack on 178th street. The police are still looking for the rider who broke Lien's window with his helmet and possibly pulled him out of his car.
Jeez. Why did this all happen?
Well, it's hard to tell because the video starts after what appears to be some kind of altercation between Lien and Cruz, so it's possible Lien bumped Cruz before Cruz brake checked him. One rider claimed the initial approach around Lien's car was non-violent, but after Lien panicked and drove over Mieses everything pretty much goes to shit.
No, I mean, what were a few hundred motorcycles doing on the highway and why'd they try to make the Range Rover slow down in the first place?
It looks like the riders, loosely organized around a website called 'Hollywood Stuntz,' were on an annual ride planning to collect in Times Square. At the time they slowed down Lien, they were apparently trying to close the highway .
Close the highway?
Yeah, the New York Post reports that the riders were trying to stop all traffic on the West Side Highway to make room for stunts. The New York Times reports that detectives are looking into this as a possibility.
WHAT? Please tell me this isn't normal.
Bikers beating up a driver is rare, but huge pop-up motorcycle rides are pretty common in the north end of Manhattan and in the Bronx. If you live up here you might see a hundred dirtbikes, quads, and other bikers go by a few times in a summer.
Don't the police shut this stuff down?
New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly stated that the NYPD was aware that this ride was going to happen and they successfully kept it out of Times Square.
- Beyond that, though, the police are instructed not to chase after illegal riders like this, as the Post points out.
Wait, the cops don't chase these guys?
Generally not. It's too easy for these riders to evade the cops by riding on the sidewalk or going against traffic, particularly for the dirt bike riders, and it's therefore dangerous for everyone.
But everyone in this ride is recorded in the video, surely catching them will be easy now?
Not quite. Many of these bikes have no plates at all, and the ones that do often belong on a different bike. Beyond that, these bikers wear masks and helmets so their faces obscured.
So you're saying it's like Grand Theft Auto out there?
A little bit, yeah. These guys ride like dicks, they get caught up in mob mentality any time a car driver acts out, and the cops generally don't chase them.
So what the hell am I supposed to do if I'm in Lien's position?
Well, Lien didn't do everything right. As you can see in the video, other drivers make it out of the situation okay by moving slowly to the right. The riders go by those cars, but Lien remains in the center lane, gets brake-checked and things go downhill from there. Lien did call the cops early in the incident, it should be said.
If you find yourself in Lien's situation, I would advise that you:
Move to the right.
Lock your doors.
Call the cops.
Basically, just do what you can to let the riders by and get out of the way. When it's you surrounded by a couple hundred bikers, anything you try and do will probably get one of them hurt, and then you'll have hell to pay.
None of this seems like a real solution.
Yeah, these riders taking over streets and highways is pretty bad. If you have a solution, call the NYPD or the Baltimore PD, where they have these dirt bike riders, too.
It can be a shit show out there, people. Try and stay out of the way.
So basically you're advocating appeasing criminal motorcycle gangsters and hoods and enabling their supremacist attitude by deferring the right of way to them as we would emergency vehicles. How wonderfully solicitous of you.
This of course sends the message loud and clear...INTIMIDATION WORKS.
Should we flash our lights and blow our horns in tribute as they pass too?
- I thought it was the guy who "brake-checked" Lien who had his legs broken.
- [quote]Basically, just do what you can to let the riders by and get out of the way.
But the bikers WOULDN'T "get out of the way" you moronic dipshit. They were CHASING this guy and surrounding him like a pack of wild animals. Slowing down and pulling over to the side of the road (by the way, there is nowhere to pull over on the WSH) would have done nothing. Those animals were out for blood.
They ain't exactly black...but they ain't exactly white either.
Truth is neither politically correct or incorrect...at least it shouldn't be.
Not only for blood but probably also for a little on the spot cash "insurance" settlement.
- The problem here is not that these young men were riding motorcycles: it's that they're MEN.
I've been riding motorcycles for 30+ years (I now ride a Harley touring bike), and I have never threatened anyone. Of course, I have BEEN threatened by other vehicles. I once even had a sport biker (what most young men ride, and what the NYC guys were riding) intentionally try to hit me.
Testosterone, not motorcycles, is the root of all evil.
- it looks like a SWARMING
- the coma guy's wife is claiming his husband is the VICTIM. how is he the victim? the guy wasn't even supposed to be on the road, he's banned from driving until 2017!!! should't he be charged with something?
what a great example he's setting for his kids.
- r157 that is also true. It's also why certain people cross into the street without looking. Get hit by a car = insurance payola. Easy money.
- sounds like idiocy to me
- One more reason that I love winter, rain & snow. No fucking motorcycles!
- I don't understand. This scenario is something that would likely happen in a crime infested shithole like Caracas, but in NYC? WTF?
- Based on this thread, we're so fucked as a country.
- Diesel Dyke on bike, R158, warning of the dangers of testosterone when she probably has more than most men.
- I wish I did, R166 -- perhaps then I wouldn't get put down by you assholes all the time.
- They were trying to get the roadway completely free of cars so they could do "stuntz" on their bikes. The SUV driver, along with his wife and child, got in their way somehow and they decided to harass him a little bit. The one fool brake checked him and the SUV bumped his bike and that is when the trouble started. The instigator was not the one who is in the hospital. That guy decided to block the SUV while several other bikers tried to get at the driver. That was when he went into a panic mode and ran over the blocking bikers to get away from them.
They caught up to him and again surrounded the SUV, made it stop and tried to drag the driver out of the vehicle. Somewhere along the way someone slashed a tire on the SUV. He managed to get back in the SUV and drove only a little bit further before the flat tire stopped him and he was dragged out of the car and beaten and slashed.
Everyone can thank the guy who decided to record all of this and upload it to the internet along with other rides that show how intimidating they are on the streets. He deleted them all, but it was too late and they had been captured by other people before they were gone.
- [quote]This is true for any fender bender. The person behind the vehicle is responsible for keeping a safe distance - period.
Hope you fall victim to a swoop and squat, so we can all point and laugh at how it's your fault.
- [quote]the real new yorkers i know carry mace. or they would know to lock their fucking doors.
What kind of lock is this that keeps the windows from being broken? Does everyone have burglar bars on their car windows?
- Thank you R168 for summing up exactly what DID happen. There shouldn't even be any questions about this bullshit.
Fuck those bikers.
- The new normal in traffic management.
Brought to you by The Progressives
- r172 is our resident FREEPER troll.
F&F the fuck out of it.
- How about one of the reporters ask that cunt of a mother or cunt of a wife what that scumbag in the hospital was doing prior to getting what he deserved?
We know one thing: It wasn't to make sure the people inside the vehicle they were fucking with were OK.
R172: Drop dead.
- Gloria Allred is now representing the biker who may never walk again. She is such scum.
That guy wasn't even supposed to be on the street, he's been banned until 2017.
I read in the comments section in one of the papers, a trucker who delivers in ny/nj area claims that he has seen such bikers and if you see them you must never stop, they pull this stunt to get money from you. They usually pick white or asian drivers.
Why haven't any of the politicians said anything? Bloomberg? or the celebs etc? Nobody is coming out to defend the Liens? Asians votes are not needed, i suppose...
- R175, you know you are not allowed to question these actions, just like the whole flash mob incidents or black on black crime for that matter.
- Bloomberg - this happened during Ray Kelly's tenure. It must annoy them this did not happen AFTER the election, which Diblasio will win - 71% vs 21%.
Asians are discriminated in this country. No one defends them when they are picked on or abused.
Asians quietly go about their business to maintain some modicum of success and people resent that.
I hate to say this, but Asians are not looked upon as 100% American still, to this day.
And, they are mostly discriminated against by other non-whites.
- R178, most of the Asians I run into are college students, whom I see and hear on the bus. Almost invariably, they speak to each other in their Asian language. I don't mind that. I'd probably do the same if the situations were reversed. But by virtue of their not speaking American, you are right, they are definitely not looked upon as American. How could they be?
- There's a language called "American?"
- I think of the language I speak as American. Yeah. I do.
- Are the leins americans? Are they from NY? Papers report that he went to columbia U.
- Trayvon's revenge, part two.
- R183, what was part one?
- The cops are onto the guy who smashed the windows of the suv. He is identified as Reginald Chance, 38, lives in Brooklyn. He is from Guyana.
Link below to his FB profile.
- [bold] 5 off-duty officers among bikers in SUV incident [/bold]
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Eyewitness News has learned that among the bikers on the Henry Hudson last weekend, were five off-duty NYPD officers.
- Hope they're all given tbe boooterini !
- [quote]Gloria Allred is now representing the biker who may never walk again. She is such scum.
- Everyone I know in NYC is very angry about this. And they all support the driver.
- R (189) only knows only old white people. Most people I know feel SUV driver should be arrested. Per video, he was not in any danger, nor was he being threatened/assaulted at first stop...bikers were all just sitting on bikes. It wasnt until second stop (after running people over) that they approached car, attempted to drag him out, etc.
Every biker I know thinks that the rich entitled asshole in the Range Rover did something to antagonize bikers in the first place.
- Sounds like your friends with scum, R190.
Everybody I know in New York is like, R189. On the side of the driver.
- just being surrounded by bikers who FORCE YOU to slow down at their whim on the highway is threatening behavior. R190 every BIKER you know sides with the Bikers - everyone else in the world who sees the video is siding with the driver of the SUV.
- For those old enough this reminds me of the Billy Jack movies with the scary bikers
- New Yorker here, who is not a biker nor owns a Range Rover. Clearly all parties are at fault.
Bikers were being assholes on the road. Annoying but not yet criminal.
RR driver bumped the biker causing him to fall then fled. That's fleeing the scene of an accident. He needed to pull over and call the cops right then and stay put. He then ran over someone while fleeing, DEFINITELY a hit and run crime.
Bikers, quite understandably, didn't want driver to get away so they pursued. But they cd've trailed him and called cops with his plate # until cops captured him.
- Hey, trolls!
- r194 again.
OK, on second thought, the bikers were probably not just annoying, but were reckless driving, which is a crime.
Still one crime led to the next with all parties .
- "RR driver bumped the biker causing him to fall then fled. "
That's because the biker stopped abruptly in front of him to keep him from driving. Which is illegal. The biker wasn't a traffic cop. He broke the law first.
" He then ran over someone while fleeing, DEFINITELY a hit and run crime."
Because they were trying to get *into* his car. The guy had a flight reaction to protect his family.
You really have no clue what you're talking about. I've seen these guys. They are aggressive, violent, menacing and ignore the law with impunity. So this is what happens.
The guy in a coma is trash and scum, and the lawsuit against Lien will go nowhere. End of story.
- (R192) Thanks Mr. Zimmerman.
- Oh I DO know what I'm talking about r197. I'm a New Yorker and have seen these guys and been on the road with them.
Yes, they're aggressive, menacing assholes and that's why you pull the fuck to the right or get out of their way or slow waaaay down and let them pass you.
And as someone upthread said, it's always the responsibility of the rear driver to maintain safe distance. You won't hit someone who brake checks you if you fall back. Sorry but RR driver isn't exactly faultless in this.
- They swarmed HIM, and they slowed down purposefully. They are at fault, not the driver.
I hope you will Get brake checked and beat up by these thugs next time. Let's see how you defend them.
Intentionally slowing down on the road to stop someone is not legal and it is threatening behavior.
- You notice the idiots defending the animals can't explain 200 motherfucking 911 calls in ONE day about these animals? When you get that many about families of three driving RRs, let us know.
And to R190, I say FUCK YOU. I was born/raised in a working class neighborhood in Brooklyn. The very idea that you would turn this into something based on race/economics makes me sick. Most of those 911 calls were coming from poor, minority neighborhoods. You think anyone outside of hoodlums would defend these assholes?
Every last one of them needs to end up with RR tire tracks on their heads.
- Thank God that video exists. It incriminates the bikers, period. When I first heard the story, it sounded like a hit and run by some ahole banker in an SUV. Without the vid, the bikers may have been able to successfully spin the story in their favor. I shudder!
- Once again the powerless tries to be the powerful. You have different dynamics (Race, bike vs truck/car). Oppressed become oppressors.
- "And as someone upthread said, it's always the responsibility of the rear driver to maintain safe distance."
how can you maintain safe distance when *they* are swarming *your* car and deliberately cutting you off? Explain that to us, idiot.
- I don't understand how some of you are so naive when it comes to these swarms.
Do you not understand that the shithead in front of the RR *purposely* slowed down to start shit? They wanted the roads cleared so they could pull illegal moves. They're a nightmare for civilized people.
Face it, most of the city is furious with the NYPD for not having arrested these assholes a long time ago. They're troublemakers who have no business making life hell for the rest of us. The idea that we have morons trying to justify their ILLEGAL behavior in any way, shape or form is repulsive.
BTW, that vegetable in the hospital had a suspended license (until 2015 or 2017?) and other "priors." That tattooed cunt of his trying to act like he was so innocent and trying to defuse the situation rather than what he was really doing --being a part of the jackal mob trying to keep the driver from leaving-- can also go fuck herself.
- His license was suspended till 2017 in Mass.
- "Face it, most of the city is furious with the NYPD for not having arrested these assholes a long time ago."
It's coming out now that more than a couple of these douche bags on bikes were cops themselves (off duty). Wouldn't be surprised at all if they had a hand in the laissez faire attitude of the NYPD.
"That tattooed cunt of his trying to act like he was so innocent and trying to defuse the situation rather than what he was really doing --being a part of the jackal mob trying to keep the driver from leaving-- can also go fuck herself."
Oh god, that thing --to my horror--is bringing out my inner Ann Coulter. She is probably euphoric at the prospect of having a multimillion dollar lawsuit, and is counting the money already. Piece of trash.
- I read that the incident with the RR and the bikers went on for an HOUR? Does anyone know if this is correct? It boggles, if true. I'd think that the wife would be on the phone to the police about what was going on. Hearing about the 200 calls to 911, the blase attitude of the NYPD, and the involvement of off duty cops is disturbing. I have to wonder if the next bit of information to come out is that a call to 911 had come from the couple's cell phone.
This is going to be one enormous civil suit nightmare.
- Holy Shit!
An undercover police officer was arrested Tuesday after allegedly lying to police about his involvement in the Sept. 29 motorcycle mob and subsequent attack of an SUV driver in New York City.
The veteran detective originally told police he didn't arrive on the scene until after the attack on Alexian Lien took place. However, video viewed by the NYPD told a different story, according to NBC New York and the Daily News.
In the video, the undercover officer can be seen smashing the rear window of the Range Rover, unnamed police sources told the affiliate. According to the reports, the new footage contradicts what the officer initially told investigators: that the attack was breaking up when he reached the scene.
"It shows him punching the back window," another unnamed source told the Daily News of the new footage reviewed by investigators on Monday. "And then as the camera is moving it catches him maybe throwing a kick at the side of the car."
After Lien was pulled from the SUV by the bikers, the undercover officer is then seen riding away. Lien was then beaten in front of his wife and daughter by the bikers, who had followed the vehicle up the West Side Highway after it clipped one of the cyclists.
- Too bad Lien cant sue the NYPD.
- He can't? Why not?
The victim's wife called 911 four times in 8 minutes. She was terrified and told the operator how desperate they were. By the time the police came, he was already beaten.
- Soooooo, it turns out I was right. NYPD is to blame for this.
There's a reason why these assholes have been allowed to ride roughshod all over the city and Westchester County for MONTHS, despite hundreds and hundreds of 911 calls. These assholes are cops and NYPD leaves them alone -- except when NYPD is HELPING the bikers destroy property and harass citizens.
- I hope that cop gets raped in prison. Fucking piece of shit.
- And the cop was right there, I'm glad we place our lives in their hands.
- It was copS plural that were riding with the bikers. I'm sure some Long Island pigs were around for the ride also.
- It's a truly multi-cultural affair:
[quote]Detective Wojciech Braszczok, 32, turned himself in shortly after the Manhattan district attorney signed off on his arrest. Braszczok allegedly lied to police about his role in the beatdown. Video, a source said, shows Braszczok banging on Alexian Lien's SUV moments before Lien was pulled from the vehicle by the mob of bikers and beaten.
- So far SIX COPS have been identified as being among the bikers.
Wonder why they're violent?
Wonder why they have a chip on their shoulders?
Wonder why they are allowed to assault peope despite 200 911 calls?
Wonder why this has been ongoing for at least several weeks, despite multiple calls to police?
You ASSSHOLES made it about race. It's about cops and cop culture. White, black, Latin, it doesn't matter. They behaved like cops.
- I couldn't give a fuck what color they are - every last one of them is a savage who needs to be lined up on the ground and have a RR drive right over them.
- This is interesting. The public's confidence in the police is going to be at an all-time low when di Blasio takes office. He's going to have an interesting chore on his hands with the department.
- OMFG, the cops are all claiming they were "undercover" in this motorcycle gang. Like the NYPD needs to assign at least a half a dozen cops to a group of bikers who intimidate motorists.
"Uh, can't we just pull over the motorcycle gang and give them tons of tickets until their licenses are suspended?"
"By God, no! We must infiltrate this group. They are the Al Qaeda of the roadway. We've got to put as many men as possible on the inside in order to get the measure of this terrorist gang of traffic infringers!"
I'm sure there will be an internal affairs "investigation," all the cops will be found faultless and they'll return to work with back pay.
- [quote] The public's confidence in the police is going to be at an all-time low when di Blasio takes office. He's going to have an interesting chore on his hands with the department.
NYPD will sweep it all under the carpet. Not to worry.
- [quote] Once again the powerless tries to be the powerful. You have different dynamics (Race, bike vs truck/car). Oppressed become oppressor.
Not by a long shot.
It's the oppressor being the oppressor.
- It was so obvious the cops had to be in on it.
You can get arrested for breaking wind too loudly in NYC, yet somehow these herds of scary bikers were allowed to run roughshod all over the city on the regular.
- Herds of minority bikers, no less. Can you imagine cops allowing minority bikers to ride like maniacs through Westchester, which has been going on every summer weekend? Like hell. There would be a big stop and frisk of every dark skinned person on a bike. So it had to be cops. People have been calling 911 on these guys for ages, and nothing was being done.
- [quote] These bikers are grown men without jobs, responsibilities, ethics, and a purpose in life.
Say what? They're NY's finest!
I was wondering why I read that the DA wasn't going to charge these bikers a few days ago. Only one guy was being charged. Now we know why. That one guy wasn't a cop and he must've been the one who said hell no, I'm not taking the fall for everybody else.
- R40 - mothers gather and weep outside the walls of every prison. Mothers are like that. Except judge Judy of course.
- Lines blur between cops and bikers across the country
The undercover NYPD detective now charged with taking part in a bike gang’s assault on an SUV is not the only police officer who may have crossed the line between cop and biker. Across the country, say experts, that line has grown blurry as the number of active police officers joining and forming motorcycle clubs has soared.
“Within the last 10 or 12 years, there has just been an explosion of these clubs of law enforcement, firefighters and military,” said Terry Katz, a retired lieutenant in the Maryland State Police who is vice president of the International Outlaw Motorcycle Gang Investigators’ Association.
Most simply ride with friends in their free time, but some have been involved in violent incidents while in “biker” mode. An Arizona officer goes to court Thursday for allegedly assaulting a bar patron who made comments about his bike gang's “colors.”
According to Katz, it doesn’t help that many of the law enforcement motorcycle clubs model themselves on outlaw gangs like the Hells Angels and the Warlocks. They wear the same kind of patches, ride the same bikes, and, sometimes, break the same laws.
“You can’t act like something and not become it,” said Katz, who spent three decades investigating bike gangs. “You can’t be a biker by night and a cop by day.”
Officer Eric Amato, a 13-year veteran of the Phoenix police force, may have crossed the blurred line one night last December when he and other members of a motorcycle club called the Iron Brotherhood decided to party in full regalia at the bars on Prescott, Arizona’s “Whiskey Row.”
The club gathered on Dec. 22 at Hooligan’s to celebrate the Christmas holidays. By about 10:30 p.m., some had moved to Moctezuma's, where the bouncer stopped them at the door. The bouncer later told investigators the bar normally did not let in people wearing biker club paraphernalia, or “colors.”
Then one of the Iron Brotherhood bikers, Yavapai County Sheriff’s Dept. Sgt. William “Bill” Suttle, a member of the local narcotics task force, flashed his badge. The bouncer let them in.
Prescott Police Chief Clair “Billy” Fessler, the president of the Prescott chapter of the Brotherhood, was also at Moctezuma’s wearing his colors. Most of the club’s members knew him as “Tarzan.”
A 23-year-old bar patron named Justin Stafford then approached Fessler and began asking about club patches on Fessler’s motorcycle vest, according to a report later filed by investigators. Both men had allegedly been drinking. A brawl ensued. Surveillance video from the bar obtained by a local newspaper, the Prescott News Courier, shows men wearing Iron Brotherhood jackets taking swings at Stafford and another man.
The Special Investigations Unit of the state’s Department of Public Safety launched a probe of the incident. In a report that runs more than 350 pages, investigators reported that Stafford said he was “very intoxicated” when he approached the bikers to ask about their machines and their patches. Fessler said that Stafford’s questions were aggressive, and that he was touching the patches while cursing.
According to the report, Stafford said that a biker standing next to Fessler grabbed him by the throat, pushed him against a wall and punched him in the face. The report said that Amato, who also used the gang name "Guido," threw the punch. He has been charged with one count of assault and appears in an Arizona court for a preliminary hearing Thursday.
Other men traded blows in the scrum that followed the first punch. But the investigators said that their probe of the fight was hindered by an alleged lack of cooperation from Suttle and Fessler. The report recommended charges of felony obstruction of criminal investigations and misdemeanor charges of false reporting to law enforcement against Fessler and Suttle, as well as a disorderly conduct charge
- None of the three men were ever criminally charged. Fessler, 54, denied taking part in the fight, but retired from the Prescott force soon after the incident to prevent what he called "further uncorroborated accusations." Suttle resigned from the Sheriff’s Department.
Amato has declined to speak to the media. The Phoenix police department will not comment on the case due to an ongoing internal investigation, but said Amato is still at the department, though unable to make arrests.
In Baltimore in 2008, 65-year-old Norman Stamp, a 44-year veteran of the city police force, was drinking in a strip joint with fellow members of the bike club he helped found, the Chosen Sons, when a brawl started in the street outside.
Police said Stamp, off-duty and dressed in his Chosen Sons gear, rushed into the fray with brass knuckles. On-duty city cop John Torres, who’d been called to the scene to break up the fight, used a taser on him. When Stamp, on the ground, allegedly reached for his service weapon, Torres shot him.
Stamp identified himself as an officer as he lay dying on the street. Stamp’s widow brought a wrongful death against Torres in 2010, but he was cleared.
That same year, five off-duty Seattle police officers gathered at the Loud American Roadhouse bar in Sturgis, S.D., during the city’s annual motorcycle rally, which draws thousands of enthusiasts from around the country.
All five officers were members of the Iron Pigs motorcycle club, composed of law enforcement and firefighters who ride American-made V-Twin-engine motorcycles.
Several hundred people were in the bar when shots rang out at 1 a.m. A member of the famed Hells Angels motorcycle gang was hospitalized. Investigators found that one of the Seattle officers had fired the shots, but the charges against him were dropped after video evidence showed he acted in self-defense.
But it’s not necessary for police officers to join old-school bike gangs for them to find themselves in compromising positions, as the videotaped confrontation between a group of sport bike riders and a New York driver on Sept. 29 shows.
In recent years, sport bike enthusiasts have begun forming impromptu packs, sometimes assembled via social media, for massive “runs” that clog highways and can intimidate motorists. On Sept. 29, as many as six police officers who took part in an annual New York City sport bike rally called Hollywood Stuntz were nearby when bikers surrounded Range Rover driver Alex Lien in Manhattan, pulled him from his car and beat him in front of his wife and daughter.
Only one officer has been charged with taking part in the attack on the car. Video of the incident allegedly shows undercover NYPD officer Wojciech Braszczok bashing in the rear window of the SUV after it had been surrounded. The officer did not take part in the assault on the driver.
This detective had originally been defended by officials as a deep undercover who failed to defend Lien because that might have damaged his cover. When the videotape surfaced those officials felt duped, sources said. Braszczok has been charged with riot and criminal mischief.
For some members of formal bike clubs, the growth of these loosely organized and loosely controlled rides has become a black mark on a culture defined by codes and credos.
Michael Spano has been riding in New York’s Islanders Motorcycle Club for 14 years, and has designed artwork for clubs across the nation, many of them made up of law enforcement. He says whatever the division between the outlaw clubs and those made up of police, in both, members must follow codes of conduct and rules of the road absent in the big sport bike runs.
“We don’t consider them bikers -- they give us a bad name,” said Spano. “They’re like a pack of wolves.”
Spano said that any cops who were part of the pack that pounced on driver Alex Lien “should be kicked off the force.”
“They should have been the first ones to run over there to pull their gang members off the vehicle,” said Spano. “And they didn’t.”
- Communities should ban their LEOs from joining biker gangs.
- Dang. That cops hang out in biker bars in places like Prescott and Sturgis which are huge motorcycle gang hubs going back decades is crazy. That they dress in biker regalia that attracts attention, flash badges and drink like fish in these settings is even crazier. And that they get away with all sorts of violent crime in the process is beyond the pale. Not one of the cops in the article above faced legal consequences beyond investigations.
- Just more proof that many cops in communities the nation over are thugs with badges. Scary.
- I love how they initially tried to make it sound like the cop was "undercover." Meanwhile, we now know the truth - he's a scumbag like the rest of them.
- Did anything more happen with this?
- Doubt it, R235.
Although I just checked out the "Justice for Jay Meezee" gofundme page and am extremely disappointed to see that 123 shitheads donated a total of $3,820 (of requested $5,000) to this piece of shit.