- Janet won more Billboard awards in one night for RN than any artist before her. She's still the artist with the most Billboard Award wins.
- This is what changed me from a person who liked her to a true fan.
- It turned me from a fan to an UBER-stan!
She was gorgeous in the iconic video for "Love Will Never Do (Without You)"...
- RN mini-movie
- Yaaaas hunty. Thank you for reminding everyone of this important moment in music history. This album changed the landscape of music. I hope Janet can serve up another amazing masterpiece with her next album.
- How did it change the landscape of music when most of the album was just samples of older hits?
- Oh, you know she will R5!
Here's MJ practicing his dance moves to "The Knowledge", his favorite song from the RN album...
- R1 actually Madonna has the most Billboard Awards with 39, she also has the most MTV Video Music Awards with 20.
- The ultimate example of a weak voice being propped up by stellar production values.
- [quote]How did it change the landscape of music when most of the album was just samples of older hits?
It ushered in the era of New Jack Swing R&B and put album interludes at the forefront of what may artists would begin to do at the time. Many pop/R&B albums that followed RN would feature album interludes.
As for being an album of samples, well, you're wrong. Only two tracks (the title cut and "Alright") contain samples of older hits. There were many sound effect samples used on the album (guns firing, breaking glass, a TV dial being changed, etc.), but musically, there weren't many samples.
- The #1 "Black Cat" (which Janet wrote by herself and co-produced with The Time's Jellybean Johnson) widened Janet's appeal with white audiences, and with it, she made fans in such rock stars as Tommy Lee and Extreme's Nuno Bettencourt (the latter performed the guitar solo on a remix of BC). Vernon Reid of LIVING COLOUR also performed on one of the remixes.
- The #1 hit "Escapade" almost started out as a remake of the Martha and the Vandella's hit "Nowhere to Run". Janet loved that song, but instead of remaking it, she and Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis decided to craft a new track with the same good time-vibe.
The video was shot on the Universal Studios Old Mexico/Flash Flood set, which is where Lady Gaga would later shoot her video for "Judas".
- The Broadway-esque 7 1/2 minute video for "Alright" featured such artists as Cyd Charisse, Cab Calloway, The Nicholas Brothers and Heavy D., and would later be mimicked by Chris Brown in his own music video for "Yeah 3x"...
- One of my favorite Janet ballads, "Lonely", was on RN, but it wasn't released as a single. Love the lush Spanish guitar and Spanish spoken word in the background...
- [quote]The ultimate example of a weak voice being propped up by stellar production values.
No. Now, if you were referring to any Britney Spears album, then...
- I like the album tracks best. And the interludes were good.
Why didn't they put out "State of the World" as a single? It would've been the 8th top 5 hit.
- When Sandy Hook happened, dozens of videos popped up on YouTube about the tragedy with RN's haunting "Livin' In A World (They Didn't Make)" as the soundtrack. Talk about a song being relevant for the times.
- This was a great album and one of the few I can listen to from beginning to end because there is no filler. I think "Lonely" would've made a good single as well.
I miss the days were artists made albums/songs that had messages in them.
- this is truly a great and iconic album.
- I was a casual fan until the release of "Love Will Never Do." Still love that song and the video is great. RIP Herb Ritts.
- I love the Janbot!
- R17,it was a single in Australia,South Africa and Japan in early Feb`91 but not in the rest of the world,pity.
- What was the song she "sang" on SNL while on her knees, thrashing around? State of the World?
- [quote]What was the song she "sang" on SNL while on her knees, thrashing around? State of the World?
The only thing Janet sang on her knees was "What About" from The Velvet Rope when she performed it at the 1998 VH1 Fashion Awards. She got a well-deserved standing o.
- Hope you're having a great Janet-full weekend, Janbot.
- [quote]I love the Janbot!
- This album put Janet on another level of fame. It's kind of strange that the other songs on this album besides RN don't get any airplay today on radio, and people really don't know them. Every song was a masterpiece on this, very high energy music that just kicks ass.
- Definitely a masterpiece, R28. I often hear various songs from RN piped over the store music system when I'm shopping, particularly "Escapade" and "Miss You Much". The '80s, '90s and Today stations and Urban stations also play the RN singles often, and sometimes I will catch "Come Back To Me" on our local A/C station. The songs are actually quite well remembered, with Plies and Ne-Yo having a top 10 Hot 100 hit with the "Come Back To Me"-sampling "Bust it Baby" a few years ago. Also, Kat Graham from The Vampire Diaries made a mash-up video tribute last year to two RN tracks ("Love Will Never Do (Without You)" and "Escapade").
- This album put Janet ahead of Vadge in 1990. Everyone was talking about how amazing Janet's songs were from this album.
- Soul Train dancers getting down to RN in 1989
- [quote]It's kind of strange that the other songs on this album besides RN don't get any airplay today on radio, and people really don't know them.
That's because the album has not aged well...the songs are dated and clunky. And of course, tempered by her non-existent vocals.
- [quote]This album put Janet ahead of Vadge in 1990. Everyone was talking about how amazing Janet's songs were from this album.
Yep. In 1990, Janet was also the only female to have a top 10 box office-grossing tour for the US leg of the RN tour (it was #5).
- RN is pretty dated today, and I never hear the songs much anymore.
Not to turn this into a flame war, but Madonna's 'Like A Prayer' album still sounds modern.
- Janet winning an MTV award in 1990 for Best Choreography in a Video, beating out Paula Abdul, Hammer and Madonna
- Not true r32, they aren't any more dated than anything else on AC radio. I think it has more to do with the album being New Jack Swing. New Jack was only popular for a short time in the early 90s, the rest of the 90s was a mash up of Hip Hop and 70s R&B.
- Winning the MTV Video Vanguard Award in 1990. Magic Johnson introduced her as "The Queen of Pop, Soul, Country, everything..."
- The chair dance sequence at the end of MISS YOU MUCH was just fucking all that. I remember trying to do this routine in my living room over and over as a kid. It was the precursor to all the pop acts who would later do intricate dance moves with chairs (Backstreet Boys, Britney, Beyonce, Ciara, etc.)
- R32, see R29 (and try not to bust your ass on the way out of the thread)
- [quote]Not to turn this into a flame war
You're trying, but you won't succeed
[quote]Madonna's 'Like A Prayer' album still sounds modern.
Who the fuck said anything about her?
- Janbot, have you ever met with Janet?
What direction is Jan going with her new album? Who is doing her A&R for it (i.e. who can we submit songs to).
- I love that Shep Pettibone laced a remix of "Miss You Much" with the beat that would later become the basic beat for "Vogue".
- I hate when people say a certain song or album is "dated". Music should sound dated-it's annoying to me how many songs these days rip off beats from the 70s and 80s. I like that different time periods have different sounds. If you don't think "Like A Prayer" sounds late 80s, you don't know music.
Anyway, Janet's Rhythm Nation is a masterpiece.
- [quote]Janbot, have you ever met with Janet?
I've come close twice. I was at both New York CD signings for DAMITA JO and 20 YO. They were both packed, but the DJ signing was a little less rushed. The 20YO signing was at Virgin Megastore in Times Square, and there were so many people that her "people" only allowed us to walk up to the table, state our name and have her personalize the CD cover. She was sweet and asked the correct way to spell my name. There are those fans who always get to do the concert meet-and-greets and such, but I haven't been fortunate enough to win one of those.
Her new disc will likely go back to a more raw, visceral Velvet Rope vibe, but with the funky uptempo stuff she's known for (from what I've heard and read). Producer Bangladesh is working on a song with her, and a couple other producers have been Tweeting about how they're working with her overseas (it's the first album she's recorded overseas).
- R42, the said beat first appeared on the single version of `Express yourself` in May `89.
- I heart R43
- Shep's productions then all sounded the same. The rolling snare was his trademark and he used it liberally.
- Janbot, I'm not saying that the Shep remix of the Jan song isn't great. It's just how I feel about Shep.
- That is true, R48. His beats did sound fundamentally the same back then.
- Janet and Paula in 1990. Pity it didn't go up to the legendary "Vibeology" performance.
- janbot, can we see a photo of you? You make me horny!
- I hear Janet will be debuting her next CD on a Carnival cruise. Heeheehee.
- Janet sound try to work with Future as SOON as possible. Janet, I know you read these Janbot threads. Ciara would be more than happy to work with you and Future to write and produce songs that can get at least top 10.
- [quote]janbot, can we see a photo of you? You make me horny!
- I FRIGGIN' LOVE JANBOTT!!! I LOVE YOU, BABY! YOU MAKE ME AND JANET SO PROUD!!
- [quote]Janet sound try to work with Future as SOON as possible
- They were going off in the Soul Train video at R31! Good to see former Prince girl Robin Power jamming at the 2:20 mark in the video. T4P.
- [quote]She was sweet and asked the correct way to spell my name.
Wow, all this time I assumed Janbot was white.
- [quote]Wow, all this time I assumed Janbot was white.
Tee hee hee. She didn't ask how to spell it because it's Anqwan or Devontay or something like that. My name is very Anglo. There are just various ways to spell it, and she wanted the correct way.
- [quote]I FRIGGIN' LOVE JANBOTT!!! I LOVE YOU, BABY! YOU MAKE ME AND JANET SO PROUD!!
- [quote]My name is very Anglo
So what are you Janbot?
- Janbot is the best, seriously. He has the most entertaining threads. I bet he's a hot late 30s guy who looks like he's in his late 20s.
- britbot and madbots can't hold a candle to janbot!
- janbot: age, sex, race, location, dick size.
- Janbot, I love you too. You're one of my DL faves. Keep up the fight and all of your good works. Love will never do without you babe!!
- Thanks guys! I'm 30-something, male, and mixed race. I have been told that I look younger than my years.
- [quote]location, dick size.
East coast, and if I was into women, I'd be adequate enough for the size queen that is Janet (hahaha).
- Janbot what is your height and weight? do you go to the gym? what kind of guys are you into? (I'm not being sarcastic; just wondering about what 1 of my favorite DL posters is like).
- No discussion of RN is complete without a mention of lickable Antonio Sabato, Jr.
- R69, I'm roughly between 5'11 and 6 feet. About 180 and I like to exercise but I'm more of a nature person as opposed to the gym (although I do belong to one).
- Janbot would you have sex with Antonio Sabato Jr and Djimon Hounsou?
- [quote]No discussion of RN is complete without a mention of lickable Antonio Sabato, Jr.
This is true...
- [quote]Janbot would you have sex with Antonio Sabato Jr and Djimon Hounsou?
In one-fifth of a heartbeat
- Loved this album. When I first went to the clubs, it was this, Black Box (Martha Wash's glorious voice)....so much music that had warmth to it.
Compared now with the coldness of Gaga. Blech.
I haven't enjoyed most recent Janet but Rhythm Nation, Janet and Velvet Rope were all wonderfully done.
- Is there anything more pathetic than our Miss JANBOT, coming here with her stupid facts about MTV awards of 20 years ago?
The problem with Janice Jackson and her career is that in 2013, no one can recall a single song of her's well enough to whistle to.
- [quote]I haven't enjoyed most recent Janet but Rhythm Nation, Janet and Velvet Rope were all wonderfully done.
I agree. Janet used to make great album after great album, but her last 3 albums have absolutely sucked. I'm glad I got to enjoy her best stuff when I was growing up.
- Janbot are you in a relationship now? Do you own any dogs or cats?
- I'm also a Janbot fan. He's hilarious, unlike the humorless Madbot and that Gaga freak who's shown up recently.
- At least Janbot is interesting. I also don't mind the Gagastan. It's that Vadgebot that is simply repugnant.
- BUBBLEGUM GARBAGE.
- [quote]BUBBLEGUM GARBAGE.
Are you talking about Shitney?
- Janet...and Janbot...are alright with me!
- I'm glad OP started this thread. As opposed to some of the posters, I think this album holds up better than much of the period.
How many longish pop/dance albums can be listened to from beginning to end? Donna Summer's seminal Bad Girls comes to mind--no puns on seminal/comes intended.
In any case, more of Janet and Antonio:
- It sucks being Janet with a burned out career.
- We gotta rewrite a Janet song and dedicate it to janbot.
- I wonder how big her Arab Prince's cock is! He's Muslim, so it'll be cut and shaved. Bet he eats good pussy.
- OH yes, R87. That's exactly what we have to do.
Now, be nice to the men in the white coats.
- [quote]Is there anything more pathetic than our Miss JANBOT
Yes. That repulsive thing you see whenever you look in a mirror.
[quote]coming here with her stupid facts about MTV awards of 20 years ago?
Stupid, no. Facts, yes. If you can't deal with facts, then stay the fuck out of the thread.
[quote]The problem with JANET Jackson and her career is that in 2013, no one can recall a single song of her's well enough to whistle to.
Reading is fundamental, fool. I've proven time and time again in various Janet threads (including this one) that not only is her music remembered, but it's constantly sampled, referenced and remade by today's pop acts.
- I love how whenever there's a Janet thread, the MANdonnaloons come out in full force. They're even more threatened now by Janet than HAGdonna was back in the early '90s.
- [quote]Janbot are you in a relationship now? Do you own any dogs or cats?
Not at present, and I don't have any pets.
- Janbot, why to you think JJ never really 'happened' over here? This particular album got to Number 4 and the singles performed badly. Of course we had our own Madchester, acid house etc. scene not to mention all the Stock, Aitken and Waterman crap for the kiddies.
But we've never embraced Janet in the UK. Is it because she's just too Apple Pie?
Thoughts appreciated. Flames not.
- Janbot what type of men are you into physically?
- Janbot, are you a musician yourself? Would you ever release a single on iTunes?
- R93, she's made waves in the UK before. There is definitely a core fanbase (they made their presence known when she appeared there for the WHY DID I GET MARRIED II premiere). Several of her tours sold out all over Europe, and she's had some hits, just never any #1s (although she's come close). Not sure why they haven't wholly embraced her, because she's released some great dance music over the years, but one reason could be because she chose not to tour over there in 2001 because of the 9/11 attacks. I think Virgin Records dropped the ball in 2004 after the SB incident, because, while the USA was in a snit over her boob-baring, Europe isn't nearly as uptight about nudity, and would have likely embraced her in spite of the nip slip. Alas, she didn't do much touring overseas at that time (besides some promo stuff), when she probably should have.
[quote]Janbot what type of men are you into physically?
It varies from day to day, LOL. Sometimes fit-fat, sometimes, toned.
[quote]Janbot, are you a musician yourself?
No, but I am into the arts. Acting, writing, drawing...
- Janbot when you say "fit-fat" are you talking about the "bulky" body type when a guy has muscle but is not toned?
Have you had sex while Janet music was playing in the background, and if so what song(s) or was it a whole album?
- [quote]Janbot when you say "fit-fat" are you talking about the "bulky" body type when a guy has muscle but is not toned?
I guess you could say that. It can go from a body type like the Talladega Tire Man who's always talked about on DL, to Max Adler from "Glee".
[quote]Have you had sex while Janet music was playing in the background
Ha! People who know me and know my love for all things Janet have asked me this question. Let's just say I've had "Making Love In The Rain" and "Love Scene (Ooh Baby)" on in the background at various times...
- Janbot, so we know obviously Janet is your #1 but which other singer do you love?
Also, could you date or have you ever dated someone who didn't like Janet's music?
How many years have you been posting on DL? You really are 1 of the best. So entertaining and witty, checking hos left and right when they try stepping to you. *bows*
- Thanks for the kind words, R99!
I've been posting here for about 4 years, give or take. I'm a big fan of many artists spanning various genres of music, from pop and rock to R&B, electro, jazz and even a (tiny) bit of country. I'm a very big fan of Prince as well.
I would date someone who wasn't into Janet. After all, to each his own, right? I know how I come across on here at times, but that's only for the people who say intentionally stupid/untrue things when it comes to Janet. They will be checked and read, LOL.
- So JANBOT posts a Happy Birthday greeting to a 24 year old album?
Priceless! Nothing could more eloquently state the irrelevance of Janice Jackson in 2013.
- [quote]Priceless! Nothing could more eloquently state the irrelevance of Janice Jackson in 2013
To the contrary, dickweed.
It actually solidifies her relevance. Not only are the tracks on RN still cited as masterpieces, but the topics on the album still affect the world today at large.
And you were saying...?
- Show us three quotes where the term masterpiece is used to describe her shit! With identifiable sources, please!
- p.s., I love how the troll at R86/R89/R101 keeps coming back into the thread to basically say the same "irrelevant" things over and over again. Pressed much?
- [quote]Show us three quotes where the term masterpiece is used to describe her shit! With identifiable sources, please!
I'm assuming you're aware of the way Google
works, motherfucker. But, just as a way of saying "fuck you" to you, I'll appease you with one quote...
[italic]Call it the nature of the genre, or simply credit Miss-Jackson-If-You're-Nasty, producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, and MTV for all hitting their stride at precisely the same moment, but the perfect storm that is her 1989 masterpiece, Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 (celebrating its 20th anniversary this fall), proves that, in the youth-oriented world of pop, it's both more enduring and more endearing for a kid to play older than their years...[/italic] --Eric Henderson of SLANT magazine
"Masterpiece" has also been used to describe her classic 1997 album THE VELVET ROPE, but, again, if you know how to use Google...
- No JanBot, 3 quotes---and you do the work, asshole. Bet you can't find them.
- Janbot, you're better when you're less cunty.
- [quote]No JanBot, 3 quotes---and you do the work, asshole. Bet you can't find them.
You were just provided with one, shithead. I guess "can't read" should be added to your bustling repertoire of assholishness. I'm not doing the work for you. If you're so interested in Janet (which you clearly are), then take my advice and look it up yourself. You will be rewarded with what you REALLY want to know.
- Where are the pics of janet in burqa?
- Couldn't help it, R107. Some people just bring out the cunt in me.
- WOW! JANBOT but must REALLY OLD! Swooning over a 24 year old album no one recalls. Are you in your 50s or 60s old man?
- Leave Janbot alone. He's amazing. Trolldar reveals much of the negative posts are coming from 1 person hmmm...
Janbot-don't fret-it's probably a bitch you turned down for a date one time.
- If JanBOTTOM believes that the world has called Jackson's music "masterpieces" repeatedly, than she should be called upon to supply us with those many quotes.
She obviously can't. We all know JanBOTTOM has a hardrive stuff with Jackson factoids, if this information were true, it would be available to her.
We are still waiting, JanBOTTOM.
- I remember when this came out, back when she was young and thin. Wow, did she seem relevant back then!
- oh please. Janbot is either a top or top/vers. He likely has a nice 8 inch, mocha-colored cock and has stuffed a lot of hot bottoms in either NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Baltimore or Atlanta. I'm sure he has a wonderful smile too, just like Janet.
- Yeah, I've discovered that the troll IS basically just one deluded and insane person with obviously a LOT of time on his hands. I have a feeling that I'd turn that thing down based on personality alone.
Suffice it to say that the one "masterpiece" quote I provided, proving him wrong, has gotten him hot under the collar. I'm loving every minute of it.
- R105, SLANT Magazine? Nothing like condemming Janet with faint praise.
- Janbot is a hot top, guaranteed :D
- [quote]Janbot is a hot top, guaranteed :D
I do love to dominate, LOL!
You asked for three quotes. You got one. You didn't specify the type of source it was to come from. Billboard Magazine has referred to The Velvet Rope as a masterpiece as well. Again, if you want to know more, do the homework. I can see by the link you provided that you've already begun. You closted Janet fans are the funniest!
- That's "closet" Janet fans.
- Janbot, how many times have you seen Janet live in a performance/concert? Have you met her too? If so how many times and what was she like?
- Hi Y'all! I wanna thank ya'll for coming here to remember the fabulous Miss Nasty. Twenty four years is a long time---a lifetime--for most of us reading this but that does not matter!
I'm JanBot, and I'm a top.
- I've been trying to get at Janbot for a minute. I could sense he was fine before he even told us what he looked like. So you hoes trying be fresh on this thread can get in line!
JB, if you're in my city I'm DTF. I like topping nice asses, and if you moan like Janet while we get it in, I will pay your way to a concert date on her next tour.
- [quote]Janbot, how many times have you seen Janet live in a performance/concert? Have you met her too? If so how many times and what was she like?
I've seen her live about seven times. I mentioned upthread that I've been to two CD signings where she personalized discs to me and said hello, asked me my name, etc., but that's about as close as I've gotten. I've never been able to win one of those meet-and-greets like many people on Janet-Xone and other fan sites have. She's even more beautiful up close.
- Hahaha! I love the offer, R123!
- Does Janet consider Ciara to be merely a "Janet tribute artist?" I know she put Ciara on her "Feedback" remix.
- I don't think she does, R126. She's always flattered when younger artists pay homage to her work or talk about her in a flattering way. She's also said nice things about Britney and Aaliyah in the past.
- Janbot do you have nice teeth like Janet?
Is your style of dress casual, sporty, trendy etc?
- My teeth are very nice, haha. I floss (almost) daily.
I usually dress comfortably (jeans, shorts when it's hot, t-shirts). When I go out, depending on the place, I like to do dress-casual. I like turtlenecks in the winter.
- This is absurd! Janbot is asking and answering her own stupid questions! Die, bitch, die!
- ayb @ r93, one reason I've heard for Janet not having a UK #1 was her singles were more rhythmic than melodic a la ABBA. She did a lot better with Control in the UK than Rhythm Nation, oddly.
I remember her appearing on Top of the Pops for Rhythm Nation and a group of her fans followed her on the M25, lol. The TOTP appearance aside she's kind of inaccessible like her brother which would be on reason. And I think the videos not being widely seen in the UK is another reason it didn't take off. Though technically the sales of the actual album were OK and on a par with Control.
The New Jack Swing sound didn't really take off in the UK, r&b didn't become big till the mid 90s where it started to become the dominant sound in pop. Control sewn the seeds for new jack swing and back then Bobby Brown's Dont Be Cruel did well and you also had hits like Alyson Williams Sleep Talk.
Janet's biggest UK hit was Together Again which sold more than most #1s. A shame she never made it considering some who did.
- Janet, Madge, Mariah and Paula Abdul were *the* female stars of the late 80's/early 90's, Ersatz soul and freeze-dried dance pop that went down well for the masses. It was only post Woodstock '94 did the emergence of Hole, Alanis, Gwen Stefani and Lauryn Hill did he see popular music go in a deeper and darker direction femalewise.
- [quote]Janet, Madge, Mariah and Paula Abdul were *the* female stars of the late 80's/early 90'
- R130 no, hater. I can assure you I'm not Janbot. Some of us just have love for this poster-why are you so pressed about it?
Janbot, do you have any friends or ever had a bf who was as big of a Janet fan as you are?
- [quote]Janbot, do you have any friends or ever had a bf who was as big of a Janet fan as you are?
I have lots of friends who are fans of hers, but there are two in particular who are HUGE fans like I am. I mean like know-lots-of-facts-about-own-every-album kind of fans. Never had a bf who was as into her as I am, but have had a few who were definite fans.
- Too bad she never bothered to befriend a vocal coach.
- It's now 25!
- And with each passing year, the memory of Janet Jackson grows dimmer and fainter.
- It was the first tape I bought. I got it from Safeway and played the hell out of it. I still remember all of the words.
- We guess it was on 8-Track way back then, R139?
- Yeah, legendary like Davy Crockett and just about as old.
- Why do keep trying to antagonize Janbot? Janet is great and you know it
- Janet is not great. Janet is nothing. Janet no longer exists except in your decrepit, wizened, plaque-filled, Alzheimer's brain, Gramps.
- How old does that make HER?