- MY SCHEDDDDDDDDULLLLLLLLLLARGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!
- Nooo Charlie! You're better than that.
- Who dis?
- Charlie is gorgeous. Why not, r3?
- A poor man's Ryan Gosling. This is definitely B-list casting, but none of the A-listers would touch it with a ten foot pole. Still, he's sexy and appealing and can act.
- who? what is Christian Grey? why is this "news?"
- This is going to be a real career killer.
- It's "50 Shades of Grey" casting news, R7
- R5, clearly R3's issue isn't Hunnam's looks. It's a cheesy role.
[quote]who? what is Christian Grey? why is this "news?"
Character in a book used for frau masturbatory purposes.
- so, will the tampon scene be in or out?
- What happens in the tampon scene? ew
- Damn you, True Blood shooting schedule! Damn you!!!!
- ?? I love CH but what's this movie and why is it a big deal?
- [quote]A poor man's Ryan Gosling
Um, no. A poor man's Brad Pitt.
- Someone named Dakota Johnson was cast as the female.
- "A poor man's Ryan Gosling
Um, no. A poor man's Brad Pitt."
What's the difference?
- Dakota is Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson's daughter. She was the lead on a Fox series Ben & Kate last year.
This is definitely B-list casting, but they really didn't need A-listers for this to be a success. And even if the movies suck, they're gonna make the actors into household names.
- R16? She's Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith's daughter.
- The book was huge in the mommy porn market, R14. As R10 pointed out, it's for fraus to fap their flaps, so they'll be cumming out in droves.
- r16 She's the spawn of Antonio Banderas' wife and Barbra Streisand's ex boy toy.
- Dakota is the daughter of Melanie Griffin and Don Johnson.
- Does he show his Dick?
He reaches between my legs and pulls on the blue string – what?! – and gently takes my tampon out and tosses it into the nearby toilet. Holy fuck. Sweet mother of all … Jeez. And then he’s inside me … ah!
- Is it true Dakota Johnson is the daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith?
- [quote]A poor man's Ryan Gosling.
[quote]Um, no. A poor man's Brad Pitt.
Charlie Hunnam, the poor man's Ryan Gosling, who is the poor man's Brad Pitt, who is the poor man's Robert Redford, who is the poor man's Cary Grant, who was the poor man's Rudolph Valentino, who was the poor man's caveman, who was the poor man's ape man.
- The fraus are pissed that it wasn't either Bomer or Cavill.
- [quote]This is definitely B-list casting, but they really didn't need A-listers for this to be a success. And even if the movies suck, they're gonna make the actors into household names.
I see what they did there.
- Cavill would look miserable throughout the movie.
- What's his skin color, precisely?
- [quote]Cavill would look miserable throughout the movie
What do you mean?
I never watched "The Tudors," but wasn't he convincing as some Lothario?
- What are Charlie's feminine features?
- This will be as bad as "Atlas Shrugged" and "Eat. Pray. Love".
- Lulz. The fangurls are not pleased!
- I saw him once outside of Vons, he was so gorgeous he moved in slow motion. Will have to watch this shitty movie!
- Settle down, fangurls. It's not like they cast him as Batman.
- Actually, it is, R36... in that you have yet another bunch of idiots whining about casting, but every last one of them will go see the movie once it's out.
They're so full of shit about not going to see it. Anyone who cares this much will go see it.
- Well he's hot. I'm enjoying looking at pictures of him while I have my hand in my pants.
Looks like they found one of the few heterosexual men in Hollywood.
- One way to piss off some haters would be to post pictures of Hunnam from Queer As Folk UK having sex with guys.
- God bless Twitter.
- Hopefully, this means he'll be naked a LOT in the film.
For anybody who's read the book: does it mention if Christian is cut or uncut? And do we know if Charlie is cut or uncut? I presume this would've been considered in the casting process.
- I love the Bomer fans, as if Hollywood would have cast an openly gay actor in this role. They must be insane.
- None of the big names floated around wanted the part. The only actors that were interested were Ian Somerhalder and alike. At least the guy is good looking, Dakota Johnson is not at all attractive. I think the movie will bomb regardless.
- Wasn't his first role as a bottom?
- IKR, r42? They can't have seriously thought all their bullshit tweets and msgs would make it happen. Plus they don't want Bomer to get the role because it would help his career, they want him to get the role because it would make it easier for them to fantasize about his being straight.
- This reminds me of the day they announced Carre Otis would be starring in Wild Orchid!
- So this is going to be super low rent then. With all the assembled talent it's still like a seven figure budget.
- Alex Pettyfer really wanted this. His mother told me.
- Are there many 27 year old billionaires?
- I'm sure this will be released simultaneously to VOD. Who would want to watch this in a cinema with a bunch of other people?
Cue 4 or 5 straight to VOD sequels, like Bring It On.
- We're looking pretty classy now.
- They wanted Bomer because his softball White Collar character and his own homosexuality made Christian Grey nonthreatening. Christian Grey is an abusive psychopath, but casting someone like Bomer with his benign, Aspergic cow eyes made the character more palatable.
- [quote]Well he's hot. I'm enjoying looking at pictures of him while I have my hand in my pants.
So no BBQ for Labor day, then?
- I remain unconvinced, r52-they wanted to see him doing sexy things to women, that's all.
- Does he get to rim the female lead?
- You say that as if there is something wrong with that R54. There is nothing wrong with a woman thinking Bomer is attractive and wanting to see him have lots of sex scenes. That is a great thing for an openly gay actor.
They are just kidding themselves if they think he was ever going to get offered this role.
And thank you r24, I never get tired of seeing how unbelievably god awful the writing for this fanfiction turned "book" is. He was in me, ah? That isn't even sexily written. I almost feel bad for the women that get off on that, they deserve better erotica.
- Johnson was charming in "Ben and Kate", with Nat Faxon.
I can see that a young Melanie "Working Girl" Griffith would be perfect here, but- I dunno.
Looks like their going after the Chinese market. Hunnam's "Pacific Rim" was huge there.
Pacific rim--that might be in this as well, heh
- They just need direction, R56.
Erotica is not something you discuss everyday.
FSG was like McErotica for the masses.
- "Christian Grey is an abusive psychopath"
Perhaps they should have cast Simon Halls instead.
- I'm embarrassed for these idiots who are all pissed. This isn't about the better actor - we're not talking Olivier with any of them.
Women wanted to be able to have two hours of visual "wanking material" for their own fantasies. Most had envisioned either Bomer or Cavill doing these things to them.
They'll get used to Hunnam.
- I don't care what anyone says, the Simon Halls troll amuses me.
Side note: I didn't know Dakota Fanning was Don Johnson/Melanie Griffith's kid
- You may be right, R52. My thought was that Bomer didn't have the range and the ones who wanted him weren't even thinking about what the roll required in terms of acting.
- This is some Lifetime Movie casting right here. Then again I expected it. No big name would touch this.
- Most of these Bomer fans have not seen Sons of Anarchy. In fact, it finally got too dark for me, but not before I saw the scene with Hunnam's very fine ass.
- I can't get over the fact that the source material is TWILIGHT FANFIC.
- Misspelling role as "roll" is only the a recent thing. Why is that?
- He's a good actor remember him from Queer as folk. Hopefully they have a good screen writer.
The books would have been good if the writer knew what she was doing. It had a good story but told poorly. And way to many distractions.
Should have kept with his abuse and left the story go from there.
- The funniest thing? They announce the casting and who is trending on Twitter? Not the guy that just got the role, but Matt Bomer.
Actually, for Charliie Hunnam it's probably not so funny at all.
This is better even than all the (melo)drama after Batman casting.
- I don't have Bomer trending, I have Charlie Hunnam.
- I don't think Bomer would have been right for the role. All jokes aside the character is supposed to a strong dominating and almost abusive presence with a irresitable sexual charisma. Bomer hasn't given any indication he can do that type of role, maybe he could but he was never an obvious choice.
Someone like Fassbender or Tom Hardy would own it, not that they would have touched this script with a 10 ft pole.
- All the fraus will flock to this film together? Where's James Holmes when we need him!
- [quote]All the fraus will flock to this film together? Where's James Holmes when we need him!
Now that's dark humor right there...
- I knew they choose a British actor!
- He is, R69.
I've got him trending.
- I would love to know who was offered the role and turned it down.
- I think Charlie Hunnam is the best choice out of everybody.He is actually sexy and will go there with sex scenes. Sam Taylor Wood is a very under rated director and she will make something out of nothing with the book.
Not saying it's going to be a great film but it will be sexy and better than people expect.
- Let's see what kind of trouble they have with the ratings board.
- For this type of movie trouble with the ratings board is exactly the type of PR they need. Expect to hear all about them fighting with the MPAA because the MPAA thinks some scenes are just "too sexy". It is exactly the headlines they want.
Then watch once you actually see the movie everything will seem fairly tame and overblown. Then expect them to tease hotter scenes if you just buy the DVD, which will also be overblown.
Hollywood is nothing if not predictable.
- Why are people going nuts over this? Was the book that good? Is this a straight person thing?
- Considering they are opening it in August, it already looks like it's not expected to do too much.
- Tom Hardy would have owned this role. He would have beat that bitch's ass.
He would never be a part of this shit show though
- Bret Easton Ellis reveals that EL James's top choice for Christian Grey was... wait for it...
ROBERT PATTINSON! DERP! DERP!
Ian Somerhalder and Matt Bomer weren't even in the running, according to BEE.
- I can see her choosing Pattinson because the whole thing was Twilight fan fiction to begin with.
- Well, considering the whole book is Twilight fanfiction....
- R79, the books are AWFUL. Utter shit. That's why nobody can believe Hunnam would take this role.
- R79 no the books were horrible. Like so bad it's good horrible. That's why there's so much interest because most people (not including the horny frauen) are expecting this to be amazingly bad.
- I wish they chose Ben Affleck.
- No A-Lister was going to go anywhere near this movie.
- Chaelie was such a delicious little twink in QaF.
- There's a real sadist for you. Stops up your toilet with a tampon and then fucks you.
- R82 - Just like how Brett Easton Ellis was never in the running to be the screenwriter...
- [quote]I can see her choosing Pattinson because the whole thing was Twilight fan fiction to begin with.
What's ironic is that Pattinson is all wrong for the role. Much too asexual and nelly for a dominating pussyhound. And he has never displayed any willingness to shape up his body for a role.
For CH, well this is the most recognition he's gotten as an actor so far. So it will either work out in spades or it will be a major bust.
- Is this really any different from some comic book movie?
It's shit that will make money. This was never going to be an Oscar contender.
- Even comic books have much better source material than this fanfiction. Please read the excerpt from R24 again if you doubt that.
- They kept putting out stories that every young actor in Hollywood was fighting for the roles. But you had actors like Garrett Hedlund - who isn't even A-list - turn them down. And then, you had Emma Watson, who seemed offended that anyone would think she would even consider doing the movie...
- [quote]Like so bad it's good horrible.
Er, no. It wasn't bad in a fun, schlocky way like, say, Jackie Collins, it was just complete and utter boring shite. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. Or at least that's what I took from the five pages I managed to read, and twenty I skimmed to try and see what all the fuss was about. I highly doubt it suddenly got way better after that (and by "way better" I mean remotely interesting or readable).
And the poster above who said that the fangirls wanted Bomer so they can imagine him doing stuff to them is right; that's exactly why they wanted him. I'd think that was a great development - for an openly gay actor to be pushed by the female fans because they find him gorgeous and hot. And those are the reasons, nothing more complicated than that. Those who say Bomer doesn't have the range haven't watched White Collar. He can play Neal as plenty dominating when he needs to.
- R92, I'd say lead in Pacific Rim was much bigger deal than this in many ways, but I admit that Fifty Shades is (still) hot at the moment, so in that sense it's big for him.
- Charlie Hunnam will be a big commercial star, because no one really knows him, except from Vikings and Pacific Rim. Charlie is like a chameleon, sometimes unrecognizable in every project he does.
- for your reading pleasure
“Suddenly, he sits up and tugs my panties off and throws them on the floor. Pulling off his boxer briefs, his erection springs free. Holy cow! … He kneels up and pulls a condom onto his considerable length. Oh no … Will it? How?”
“Show me how you pleasure yourself … Keep still … We’re going to have to work on keeping you still, baby … Let’s see if we can make you come like this … You’re so deliciously wet. God, I want you … I’m going to fuck you now, Miss Steele … Hard ... Come for me, Ana.”
“I pull him deeper into my mouth so I can feel him at the back of my throat and then to the front again. My tongue swirls around the end. He’s my very own Christian Grey-flavored popsicle. I suck harder and harder … Hmm … My inner goddess is doing the merengue with some salsa moves.”
- [quote]Tom Hardy would have owned this role. He would have beat that bitch's ass.
Not with the ugly tats all over his body...major deal breaker.
- "So no BBQ for Labor day, then?"
Plenty of dip, at least...
- "Tom Hardy would have owned this role"
IF Christian Grey was chav trash...
- but wait, there's more
“Suddenly he grabs me, tipping me across his lap. With one smooth movement, he angles his body so my torso is resting on the bed beside him. He throws his right leg over both mine and plants his left forearm on the small of my back, holding me down so I cannot move … He places his hand on my naked behind, softly fondling me, stroking around and around with his flat palm. And then his hand is no longer there … and he hits me—hard.
“We lie there, panting together, waiting for our breathing to slow. He gently strokes my hair … Boy … I Survived. That wasn’t so bad. I’m more stoic than I thought. My inner goddess is prostrate … well, at least she’s quiet.”
“Sitting beside me, he gently pulls my sweatpants down. Up and down like a whores’ drawers, my subconscious remarks bitterly. In my head, I tell her where to go. Christian squirts baby oil into his hand and then rubs my behind with careful tenderness—from makeup remover to soothing balm for a spanked ass, who would have thought it was such a versatile liquid.”
“You beguile me, Christian. Completely overwhelm me. I feel like Icarus flying too close to the sun.”
- lol R99/103
- I wish someone would make films of some good gay fanfic. There was some great fanfic of Starsky & Hutch at Nifty that I used to love.
- Yes, it is a boring, stupid book with bad writing. That didn't stop Twilight from making $3 billion at the box office. So who knows?
- The fact that Matt Bomer is currently trending on Twitter because so many *women* saw him as Christian Grey and are now pissed off he wasn't chosen should tell the morons in Hollywood not to underestimate the public's "tolerance" for gay men playing straight.
- I'm glad Charlie is getting the lead, because he deserves recognition. He is a very strong actor, and is very beautiful when cleaned up.
- Why are they waiting until NOW to make a casting announcement? The height of this book's popularity was a year and a half ago. Did they give that grumpy, untalented author too much creative control, and she kept getting the start date pushed back?
And isn't Charlie Hunnam a little old for the part?
- Dear God, are those excerpts @R99/R103 real?
That's the first time I've ever seen anything from the book.
- Erotica as a mainstream film is pretty hard to sell. They probably have to tone it down to the Basic Instinct level where you see some boobs and maybe a quick male frontal. I haven't read the books but to my understanding they are pretty much porn, and obviously they can't do that.
I'm expecting quite the mess as an end result, i.e. a bland mainstream film.
- From Queer As Folk!
- How old is the character supposed to be, R109?
Hunnam is 33.
- I wonder who's going to play the Mexican character...the one that goes around saying "Dios Mio!" all the time.
- R110 I shit you not they are real quotes.
- I remember that day like it was yesterday, R46.
- I am also wondering if the passages from r99/103 are real. I've never even read one word of this book, so I really don't know.
If they are real, I could have written that shit and made $10 million dammit!
- I think the character of Christian is supposed to be 28.
- Christian Grey is supposed to be between 27 and 30 something.
- Then I better get my estrogen levels checked because I'm just laughing at that shit, R115.
How could I not???
[quote]Up and down like a whores’ drawers
- Oh R113, I thought he was older than that.
- “Let me ask you something first. Do you want a regular
vanilla relationship with no kinky fuckery at all?"
My mouth drops open. "Kinky fuckery?" I squeak.
"I can't believe you said that.'
"Well, I did. Answer me," he says calmly.
I flush. My inner goddess is down on bended knee with her hands clasped in supplication begging me.
"I like your kinky fuckery," I whisper.”
- The book started as Twlight fan fiction. The 'author" changed the names Bella and Edward, so as not to get sued, and voila, 'Shades of Gray'.
- [quote]If they are real, I could have written that shit and made $10 million dammit!
E.L James has actually made $95 million. She has to be the most successful fanfiction writer in history.
The worst part of the book by far is how jaw droppingly stupid Ana is. No 23 year old could possibly be that dumb and naive about sex. The girl also doesn't seem to own a cell phone or a computer, which in this day and age would never happen. In the book Christian forces a Blackberry on her and she doesn't even know how to use it! She's never masturbated and refers to 'tingles down there.' Again, too stupid to live.
- I have a question:
I stated earlier that Bomer is trending. I've also seen Cavill and Somerhalder's (Sp?) names floating about for this role. Those three have a similar look and Hunnam obviously looks nothing like them, so am I to guess the character is described as having dark hair/light eyes and Hunnam will be dying his hair?
- The housewives are not happy...LOL!
- The character is supposed to have "copper" hair, since he was intended to be Robert Pattinson.
- Yes, r125.
- On an interesting note, they have given this fanfic writer total control of the movie. She has final say on EVERYTHING -- from casting to the script to the sets to wardrobe.
- So, Gray is a Ginger? whoo hoo hoo!
- Fan trailer for 50 Shades with Matt Bomer and Alexis Bledel.
- I have a hard time believing that is true R130.
If I was a studio producing this movie I would never allow that and if I were a director directing this movie I would never allow that.
That is not how it works when you buy the rights to a story.
- Then why were the other three names always mentioned if the guy is supposed to be a ginger?
- R132 It seems that trailer is much better than the actual movie is going to be.
- Those were just three actors who were popular with the fanfraus.
- R133 - here's the article.
- Was the lead female character supposed to be homely because Dakota Johnson is decidedly so.
Charlie is way too hot for her.
- r138, I think that's the idea!
- Here is E.L. James. She looks pretty much like you would picture a Twilight fanfic writer to look.
- She's British? Thank GOD!
I thought this shit was written by an American.
- As i aked on the other thread, how much will he show?
- R137, that article from March, 2012 doesn't say that the studio has given her total control of the movie at all. It mentions some of the demands she was making, but says that Universal declined to discuss terms of its deal.
- R142: There's a difference between how much he's willing to show vs. how much they'll let him show.
I imagine the latter will decide.
- I remember seeing her on The View and wondering "Who the fuck does the smug, entitled cunt think she is?"
- charlie is not a ginger - above or below the equator!
- Holy shit. I hadn't realized he was the twink from QAF until this thread.
- I don't know a single person who's read this, is it a good role or a bad role for Charlie?
Met him when I was an extra on QAF. Lovely guy, and funny. Always had time to talk to those like me that were in crowd scenes. Good luck to him.
- We know Charlie isn't a ginger but some think the character is, r146. This has shitfest written all over it. I remember all the hype surrounding nine 1/2 weeks and it was not the least bit shocking or erotic. This sounds like it will be no better than a Hallmark Channel original movie.
- I don't think it matters if it's a bad role. He's worked for so long, it'll hardly kill his career.
- But who will play the "inner goddess"? I vote for Rachel Dratch.
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson's old lady wife is writing and directing. She's good. This will be better than it deserves to be.
- The director, Sam Taylor Johnson, did a pretty good job with Nowhere Boy. I don't know how this is going to be good but it's not like it has to be spectacular to make money.
About a year ago this book was selling hotcakes. Every woman on the subway or bus was reading this. And they weren't ashamed either.
Even now the author is making about a $1 million a week in sales.
If those fraus show up for the film, it will be big.
- Just shows what shitty taste they have, [italic]en masse[/italic].
- [quote]Aaron Taylor-Johnson's old lady wife is writing and directing. She's good. This will be better than it deserves to be.
I shouldve known her old ass would have a part in this!
- R155, you're just jealous that she gets to fuck Aaron.
- Well you can surmise that SHE knows all the tricks and then some - look who she snagged, after all.
- So Charlie got the part. Hmmmm. His big role was in Queer as Folk, where he played an underage kid who's perved on by an older adult, who then becomes a sort of lover-parent.
Why would Sam Taylor choose him?
Oh and, she's not all that. Nowhere Boy was good, but hardly brilliant, and her REM video was bonkers.
- R156, no one's jealous of an ugly old hag who's a sex creep, dear.
- Wait a fucking minute!!! I married some loser BEARD from 'Next Top Model' and knocked her up, and I didn't get the part I've been practically begging for online?!! Fuck that! I'll have to console myself by burying my face in Colton Haynes ass!
- I should've taken this instead of Superman. I would have gotten less shit for my wooden acting, and I might have been remotely believable as straight for once!
- This thread is full of Matt Boomer's angry fraus, as expected.
- Fuck you, Henry Cavill!!
- Oh well, this role is not for an Artist like me.
- Zombie Lucille Ball was offered the part, but Gary Morton talked her out of it.
- Om my GAWD!!!!
- [quote]The fact that Matt Bomer is currently trending on Twitter because so many *women* saw him as Christian Grey and are now pissed off he wasn't chosen should tell the morons in Hollywood not to underestimate the public's "tolerance" for gay men playing straight.
The fact that Matt Bomer is currently trending on Superherohype Forums and IMDB because so many *straight men that would turn gay for him* saw him as Superman/Batman and are now pissed off he wasn't chosen should tell the morons in Hollywood not to underestimate the public's "tolerance" for gay men playing superheroes.
- I'm currently trying to find the website where the women are upset that Henry Cavill wasn't chosen to play Christian Grey. It's hilarious!!
- Unlike Joe M., I have an actual schedule and wouldn't have been able to do this crap anyway.
- Whenever I see Matt Bomer, all I can think of is
- What's interesting is that a lot of you Marys don't see it as a positive thing that frauds wanted Bomer for Grey, and that fanboys wanted him for Superman. That's a pretty big change in a very short period of time, in terms of gay acceptance in media.
See the picture posted in R170, that's more likely the real reason he wasn't chosen, not just because he's openly gay. He doesn't look badass for Superman (Cavill does), and he's not sensual enough for Grey, he's got this hysterical look in the eyes that kill the sexual mood.
- R165: That was bizarre, but I loved it.
Even in my most "mommy-porn-vanilla-S&M" fantasies, I'd still prefer Joe Manganiello to any of these guys. I imagine this will be an even weaker 9½ Weeks sans the once gorgeous Mickey Rourke.
- [quote]the once gorgeous Mickey Rourke.
Ah Mickey, you were this fanboy's teen crush. Then you turned up in Iron Man 2 looking like the cowardly lion carved out of pepperoni.
- [quote]he's not sensual enough for Grey, he's got this hysterical look in the eyes that kill the sexual mood.
The core audience for the books disagree with you to the point that Bomer's name was trending for quite some time on Twitter. The fans of the books wanted him.
- R172 that "hysterical look" is the Asperger's Stare. That is why his eyes are so striking. It's like he's looking at you, but his eyes are somewhere else.
On the left, "Aspergers Stare" girl from Google Image Search. On the right, Matt Bomer.
- This movie will be the new Mommie Dearest.
- [quote]The core audience for the books disagree with you to the point that Bomer's name was trending for quite some time on Twitter. The fans of the books wanted him
You mean, Matt Bomer's Twitter frau brigade.
- [quote] that "hysterical look" is the Asperger's Stare. That is why his eyes are so striking. It's like he's looking at you, but his eyes are somewhere else.
Yeah, and it is not sensual.
- Dakota Johnson was super cute in Ben and Kate. The director and cast have me a little more curious than I want to be.
- [quote]You mean, Matt Bomer's Twitter frau brigade.
Well who in the hell do you think is reading this crap? That's the core audience.
- Lol R181
- So the two leads are a British man playing an American and the daughter of a famous power couple?
Welcome to Hollywood in 2013.
- Being a power bottom for my powerful dick isn't enough...
- Is there any scat or water sports in the book?
- Yes, yet another Brit taking a job away from an American.
I'm starting to think Bomer didn't get it because he's American, not because he's gay.
Our people are being discriminated against in Hollywood!
- BTW, Bomer is STILL trending.
- LOL again
- What are these idiotic "job-stealing-Brit" comments? Brits have always been part of Hollywood.
- There's some lunatic anti-Brit troll who's been on DL for years. Totally unhinged. Just ignore him.
- Charlie's nipples are too dark. Not good.
- [quote]What are these idiotic "job-stealing-Brit" comments? Brits have always been part of Hollywood.
[quote]There's some lunatic anti-Brit troll who's been on DL for years. Totally unhinged. Just ignore him.
Between the two of you, there's what? Maybe three functioning brain cells?
- People are stupid. There was no way Bomer would have been cast because he's gay. There was no way Cavill would have been cast because he's now A-list and Superman. There was no way Ian Solemander would have been cast because he's short, scrawny, and balding and Z-list. When I first heard Charlie was in the running, I knew he would be the one. He fit all the requirements and was not A-list or gay.
- Bomer isn't trending in the United States. All the tweets are in Spanish. They're coming from Latin America and Spain. He's trending in those countries.
- Charlie Hunnam looks like shit! What a fatass.
- I don't think Cavill is quite A-list yet. B+/A-
His next movie will show if he's truly A-list.
- Ugly feet with yellow toenails.
- Gross albino
- He really is packing on the pounds. He looks like a fat Spencer Pratt.
- [quote]Bomer isn't trending in the United States. All the tweets are in Spanish. They're coming from Latin America and Spain. He's trending in those countries.
No wonder his ass looks soapy...yummm
Someone needs to write a book about a Thong Matador and Del Toro The Peen-horned Bull.
- My but you queens seem to be just as invested in this as the frauden. Tsk, tsk. I'm unsurprised, though, since Matt Bomer's name is involved. He always brings out the claws on both sides of the fence.
Anyone who hasn't heard of Fifty Shades of Grey is living under a rock. It (and/or its sequels) was/were number 1 on the NYT bestseller list FOREVER. Supposedly a BSDM-fest, which is hilarious. Never read 'em, never wanted to.
Hunnam was lovely on QAF and has lovely moments on SoA. He's played American convincingly enough on TV for 5? 6? seasons now, so he can probably handle this just fine. Total borefest.
- I think Charlie is so hot. If I were to be in a kinky relationship he would fit the bill. Perfectly. I cannot believe all these women would prefer Matt Bomer. Oh brother. So glad I am gay.
- [quote]So Charlie got the part. Hmmmm. His big role was in Queer as Folk, where he played an underage kid who's perved on by an older adult, who then becomes a sort of lover-parent.
Lol...no. His iconic role so far is "Sons of Anarchy", the highest rated show on FX which is going into its 6th season. He also was in Pacific Rim which was a pretty big blockbuster that did huge business overseas.
Only gay men like us would remember his first big role as the cute little twink in the British Queer as Folk.
Honestly given the options and the talent that would be willing to take on this role they probably made a decent call.
And in terms of nudity, expect him not to show full frontal, which will probably be a directing/studio call.
Most executives don't want to show flaccid penis which is the only penis they can show. A flaccid penis isn't a sign of "power" for their lead male. And unless you are hung like Fassbender focus groups will say it works better to leave it to the imagination. I'm sure there will be plenty of ass shots, but that is it.
Charlie Hunnam clearly wanted to do this role and would show/act out anything they wanted to. How explicit something is not limited by the actor in most situations.
- What R203 said.
- I think he looked his best circa "Undeclared." Not too twinky, not too bloated.
- The Bomer fraus wanted him because they thought that his looks fit the character. I seriously doubt that he was even considered by the studio. There's no way they would jeopardize the box office of their movie by casting an openly gay actor in the lead role.
The director and studio clearly care more about the actor's ability to play the role, rather than just trying to cast an actor who looks the part. Having watched Charlie Hunan through several season of Sons of Anarchy, I think he has the acting chops to pull it off.
Still I think it's good that there were women who embraced the idea of Bomer in a role like that. It gives me a glimmer of hope that some day an openly gay actor can break through successfully in leading roles in movies.
- I forgot all about "Undeclared."
He's actually an Aussie, who played a Brit on QAF, and can play American. I TOTES FORGOT ABOUT THAT.
- Wow. He was 20 when he did QAF. He's gone from the epitome of definition of twink to stud in 13 years.
All twinks should hope and pray that they grow up like that.
- [quote]BTW, Bomer is STILL trending.
Ahem, Carnegie Mellon's artists is STILL being underestimated and underused. All we're being asked to do is either rip our shirts off or wear thongs, and it is still trending.
- That looks like my ex girlfriend, R195
- You're right. He does look like a butch dyke.
- I just threw up in my mouth a little at r24 's post. In between the laughter.
This is Lifetime movie material given a big screem budget.
- Who wouldn't want a Charlie Hunnam popsicle?
- He needs to rid himself of that disturbing, disastrous mole on his face.
- I love his mole, he looks sexy
- I think in another 10 years a gay actor in a lead role playing a straight guy won't be an issue anymore.
- Trending: #NoBomerNoMovie
- R203, WOW. You REALLY missed the snarky remark I was making? I really need to spell out what I meant? Incredible!
- The movie contractually has to come in with an R rating. So that means no full frontal male nudity in a sexual situation.
- "jeopardize their box office"???
DL is often WAY out of it, but this is a new glimpse into just how far some of you queens lie on the periphery.
This movie won't make a CENT. The books were a (poorly written and envisioned) fantasy, much like romance novels. Women are not going to flock to some S+M rape fantasy MOVIE. Aint gonna happen.
As far as Bomer goes, he'd HELP box office. Charlie is popular with guys, not women. It seems like they're going to try to turn this into nine and a half weeks, and that will go down in flames. Charlie is not a sex symbol for women, he's the kind of guy straight guys get wet over.
- Not a BDSM fest, the book was all hype and there was not much sex in there at all so no real need to tone anything down. I bought it read it for awhile and only because I paid money did I try to finish it but couldn't. Those excerpts are real, sad but real. It was so poorly written that inner goddess stuff grated the nerves and it was all through out the book.
As far as the BDSM some brief spankings is all. The idiot heroine Ana would cry almost immediately after he started and he would stop.
Why a billionaire would have any interest at all in this befuddled girl was a complete mystery. Should have made a film quickly, starring anybody, and raked in the money while it was hot.
- I could not remember, who he was.
- It's one thing for women to buy a book with a picture of a tie on the cover or, more likely, to download it to their e-reader, but to go to a movie theater with a bunch of other people? I dunno. I'm very dubious about this thing.
- Women will see this in groups like they did with Twilight or Sex and the City.
- I had thought Grey was more dark, then blond?
- "This movie won't make a CENT. The books were a (poorly written and envisioned) fantasy, much like romance novels. Women are not going to flock to some S+M rape fantasy MOVIE. Aint gonna happen"
Did you say the same thing about "Twilight"?
I think you're wrong, I think this mess will also attract an audience no batter how cheap or how bad it is. I mean, when liking the book shows that you have no taste, why should the filmmakers knock themselves out?
- No, I thought Twilight would be huge. Every girl I knew was talking about it. Shades has already gotten old. I'm not wrong. This isn't going to make money in theaters. And women aren't going to go to this in groups. It's not Sex and the City.
- [quote]Thread closed!!
No closing the thread, don't start that!
- What a hunk.
- I wonder if the Grey fangurls know that Charlie is a bottom.
- Why is this character such a big thing?
- Please, say you're joking, r233
- [quote]He's actually an Aussie, who played a Brit on QAF, and can play American. I TOTES FORGOT ABOUT THAT.
He's not Australian, he's English.
- OMG, is he really a bottom??
- Why would I be joking, R234? I don't get why some soft-porn playboy character is such a huge hit and why he is such a big deal. Why does he matter so much to women?
It's like the Twilight novels/films and Edward and Jacob. I don't get the obsession with them.
- He's so hot. I would lick every inch of sweat off of this dude's body.
- here's over one hundred pictures of him shirtless
- The amount of press this has garnered leads me to believe SOMEBODY is interested in this garbage.
Yeah, I think the movies could be big. The books are world wide hits. Women were reading them in DROVES. It was #1 for WEEKS on the NY Times Best Seller list.
If you are able to herd in the fraus who were obsessed with the book with non-fans who are just curious what the whole thing is about and how 'porny' film is going to turn out, could equal big bucks.
- But how about the theater seats? What is the damage from all these saggy, 'sack of kittens' thighed, fat bitches sopping all over the theater seats? Factor the polyester grannie panties and we have some serious biohazard shit going on.
Will they mark the theater when they change movies so we know to avoid it? How many years will it take before the pathogen levels settle back to normal?
- What I can't understand is why the fanfraus are so insistent on Alexis Bleidel playing Anastasia. Bleidel is 31, and most reasonable people can see that she's a decade too old for the part.
Oh wait, I said reasonable people.
- Can't believe how bad he looks in the photos they've been showing on TV.
- He will look perfect clean shaven and slicked-back.
- In the uk I don't think he was taken too seriously because of his pretty boyness so he presents himself as rough and it worked as he got himself a role on SOA. But he will scrub up very very well.
- Alex Pettyfer would've been a much better Christian, but I think the producers felt it would've taken him too long to get in perfect shape. Meanwhile, Charlie is already there with his ridiculously fit body.
Plus, Alex Pettyfer has a reputation of being difficult to work with. Too bad; he drips sex.
- [quote]Alex Pettyfer has a reputation of being difficult to work with
You answered your own question why he wouldn't be considered. And his reputation has spread enough that a decent segment of the public is aware of it also which studios don't like.
- Just looked at Twitter. About a half of the fans talking about Matt B and Christian G were boys. I knew it. Fifty Shades got gay fans. Shame on them didn't cast Matt B.
- Hey, at least it wasn't that flat-faced, limp-dicked, Rob Pattinson though, am I right, boys?
- Pettyfer has the right look, but he doesn't come across as a very nuanced or charismatic actor.
I thought Theo James would have been a good choice as well, he's intensely beautiful and a very good actor.
- Theo James is actually a good choice - never thought of him.
- Did Bomer ever actually express an interest in the role? Any respectable actor would want to stay as far away from this trash as possible.
- R241 said it best. Those seats will have to be destroyed after the run of the film.
And the smell....ugh...
- R79, The book is a marketing marvel. When I was a very young girl, I saw the cover of a Harlequin Romance novel. Then I tried to read a few pages. Contrast that with Jane Eyre. I wish Jackie Collins, who has a light, seductive style had at least written it.
It's like learning that the ads lied, and Tahiti vacations are not all romantic walks and beach swims at sunset, because there's sand that gets in the wrong places at the worst times.
Most straights disappoint women in bed. That's the popularity of the book; the idea of the character. It wouldn't work if he didn't look like and have the status and charm of Christian Grey.
- "The books were a (poorly written and envisioned) fantasy, much like romance novels. Women are not going to flock to some S+M rape fantasy MOVIE. Aint gonna happen."
Agree with this. I think the movie will do so-so business at best.
- Why does everyone think that actors wouldn't want this role? The books were shit, but the movie production team has a very good pedigree - Focus Features, the best-run of the specialty divisions; producer Michael DeLuca (The Social Network, Moneyball); and director Sam Taylor-Wood. They are obviously invested in making this trashy book into a marketable film.
- R252, no. And at least one of his friends tweeted that he would never consider doing it.
- [quote]Charlie is popular with guys, not women.
So, so wrong. I cannot tell you the number of women in the last 5-6 years who've told me they were naming their child-to-be Jackson, and calling him Jax for short. I always ask them if they watch Sons of Anarchy (which always surprises them, I guess bc I'm black), and to a person, they've said "Yes."
Though I'm a Tig person, myself. I like the freaks.
- I can't wait to jerk off to this about a year from now.
- worst part about the negative comments, they're concern about the actors chosen!!!! They need to hope the person writing he screen play can put together a story line that doesn't turn this movie into a back handed comedy.
I've read all three books, the story-line could have substance if the writer focus on his abuse and her dealing with the issues. The adults characters personalities felt like a day care center play time.
- R258, I wasn't talking about your trailer-trash friends, dear. I was talking about women in general. You can see the frau reaction to the announcement...it's NOT positive.
Now go back to the Bar-B-Que, hon.
- R256 I agree. James Schamus, the CEO of Focus Features, been involved with many critically acclaimed movies like 'The Ice Storm', 'Brokeback Mountain',''The Brothers McMullen', Crouching Dragon, Hidden Tiger', etc. I'm going to wait and judge the movie on its own merits. How well it turns out will depend on the screenplay, the director, and the actors who have been cast.
- R262, LOL!! Honestly, you must be marginally retarded if you think this movie will be anything but trash. Get a grip and a clue, snooty Mary!
- [quote]I wasn't talking about your trailer-trash friends, dear. I was talking about women in general. You can see the frau reaction to the announcement...it's NOT positive.
Yeah, well the fan fraus were all against Robert Pattinson's casting as Edward before Twilight was made, but with a large marketing push behind him, they came around. Same will happen here I'm sure.
- Agreeing with if the screen play steers away from the books then it has a fighting chance. They should focus more on the abuse and less on the other distractions in the book.
- [quote]Did Bomer ever actually express an interest in the role? Any respectable actor would want to stay as far away from this trash as possible.
I wouldn't say Bomer is a respectable actor if I were you. His role in Magic Mike was lower than Christian Grey, and his character in WC hardly makes him a "respectable" actor.
- The only way I'll be able to suspend my disbelief about the storyline and enjoy the movie is if they go full on camp like Showgirls.
Any chance Joe Eszterhas will be writing the screenplay?
- The script has all ready been written by Kelly Marcel. She also wrote the screenplay for the upcoming Saving Mr. Banks, which is about the author P. L. Travers and her meeting with Walt Disney. That the producers hired Ms Marcel suggests they wanted a screenwriter who understands what will appeal to women, not offend them.
- R263 writes,
[quote]LOL!! Honestly, you must be marginally retarded if you think this movie will be anything but trash. Get a grip and a clue, snooty Mary!
[italic]Trash[/italic] is good. Garbage is not.
I think you're believing it will be [italic]garbage[/italic].
- Wow, isn't there ONE female in your family or circle of acquaintances that you have any respect for, r241? I refuse to believe that just being a gay man predisposes one to such a toxic case of misogyny. You are one fucked up piece of work.
- Wow, maybe things really are changing since the public is demanding that the OPENLY GAY actor play the part instead of Hunnam.
- Hey, eye candy is eye candy, gay or straight.
- "The Other Side Of Boredom"
- The weird thing is, the book is pretty puritanical, even though it is porn. It's made clear that BDSM is something only psychologically fucked up people like. Christian was abused by his "crackwhore mother's" pimp and then raped and forced to be a BDSM bottom as an underage boy by some older woman, and that's why he has a need to "beat up women who look exactly like his mother." (Anastasia pretty much always describes BDSM as "being beaten up" and as something horrible and scary.) When he falls in love with her, her pure virginal love magically cures him of his interest in/need for BDSM. I can't remember but I think they only have non-vanilla sex a couple of times. Though he's still a psychotic, emotionally abusive control freak/stalker.
It's crazy how the book has been misrepresented by the media as this super erotic BDSM book. There are a million far better and sexier books that don't portray BDSM as some icky thing only fucked up people like that they need to be rescued from.
- Neither actor resembles the characters. What fuckery!
- Haha, well if it makes you feel better R274 I appreciate it. At least now I have a better idea of what this "book" is really about.
- Ewwwww, I had no idea Anastasia was supposed to look like Christian's mother! That is fucked up, people really think that's romantic? It's like a Alfred Hitchcock or Roman Polanski film, but without the self-awareness!
- This site has funny recaps of the 50 Shades books.
- Who will be cast in the inevitable gay-porn version to be produced by Lucas Entertainment?
- Internet's semi-literate fangurls ARE NOT pleased with Charlie and Dakota's casting and have launched a petition to have them replaced with Matt Bomer and Alexis Bleidel!
Hollywood Reporter featured some choice tweets:
@DanaBrunetti you bastard son of your mom, and your @E_L_James not think about the fanatical about your book that movie failed!
@DanaBrunetti You're a beast. I think if you had put a monkey , surely you had chosen to be Grey, Idiot!
- Most of the petition signers are from Latin America, Spain and the Philippines. Interesting.
- So much for "too respectable for a trash" huh!
- [quote]'50 Shades of Grey': 23 funniest quotes from EL James's novel
[quote]"His voice is warm and husky like dark melted chocolate fudge caramel... or something." -Or something. We get what you're going for, EL James.
[quote]"And from a very tiny, underused part of my brain - probably located at the base of my medulla oblongata near where my subconscious dwells - comes the thought: He's here to see you."- The core of our frontal lobe, which is the area of the brain that controls logical reasoning, is telling us that this sentence is needlessly convoluted.
[quote]"I feel the color in my cheeks rising again. I must be the color of The Communist Manifesto."-Definitely the first comparison that springs to our mind when we think 'red'.
[quote]"His lips part, like he's taking a sharp intake of breath, and he blinks. For a fraction of a second, he looks lost somehow, and the Earth shifts slightly on its axis, the tectonic plates sliding into a new position." -Not that these characters are self-centred.
[quote]"He smiles, then strides with renewed purpose out of the store, slinging the plastic bag over his shoulder, leaving me a quivering mass of raging female hormones." -Technically one of the main hormones associated with sex drive is testosterone, which is a male hormone. That bit of biochemical know-how is brought to you straight from our medulla oblongata.
[quote]"I can almost hear his sphinx-like smile through the phone."-Ah, yes. Those infamously smiley sphinxes.
[quote]"Holy crap! He's wearing a white shirt, open at the collar, and tray flannel pants that hang from his hips."-Holy crap! This is a running theme, by the way - Christian Grey doesn't just wear clothes. Clothes hang from him.
[quote]"His tone is so... so directorial, his usual control freak. I imagine him as an old-time movie director wearing jodhpurs, holding an old-fashioned megaphone and a riding crop. The image makes me laugh out loud."-We're... not sure what to do with this one.
[quote]"The orange juice tastes divine. It's thirst-quenching and refreshing."-Fifty Shades of Tropicana!
[quote]"Oh my… sweat and body wash and Christian. It's a heady cocktail - so much better than a margarita, and now I can speak from experience."-Grim.
[quote]"I flush at the waywardness of my subconscious - she's doing her happy dance in a bright red hula skirt at the thought of being his."-Yeah, this happens a lot. Ana has a really loud and obnoxious subconscious that's always doing dance moves in her head. We're not clear on whether she's actually supposed to be mentally unwell.
[quote]"My very small inner goddess sways in a gentle victorious samba."-She also has a really loud and obnoxious inner goddess who's always doing dance moves. It's basically an embodiment of her sex drive and/or her vagina, we think. Again, we're unclear.
- 50 Shades turned down by Ryan Gosling, Shailene Woodley, Garret Hedlund.
Dakota Johnson landed the role of Anastasia Steele after the likes of Alicia Vikander, Imogen Poots and Elizabeth Olsen were considered.
Felicity Jones was reportedly deemed too old at 30 to play 21-year-old college student Ana, while early favorite Shailene Woodley - who did not object to the nudity the role demands - is said to have bowed out due to her upcoming publicity commitments to Divergent.
- It would have been odd for Woodley to appear in The Fault in Our Stars and 50 Shades of Gray within a short space of time.
- Charlie talks about doing sex scenes in Queer as Folk. He sounds like a pretty cool guy.
[quote]As far as the explicit nature of the book and the scenes between Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele, Hunnam said: “My first job was on a Channel 4 miniseries called Queer as Folk. It was incredibly explicit sexual scenes with a man.” He added: “I mean I’m 16 and 17 years wiser now. So if I could do it when I was 18 with a guy, I can certainly do it at 33 with a lady.”
- Any nude pictures of Charlie?
- R284 Imogen Poots? This is a real person?
How dare you joke about my fiance!
- He practically showed his asshole (excuse me - presented his hole) on this week's Sons of Anarchy
- For cheap fame, he signed up for a career kill.
- Charlie Hunnam has been awful in lots of bad projects. I doubt he won't survive 50 Shades.
- this pussy got extra security because of delusional murderous fangirls.
I hope this fame ho gets his career destroyed.
- At least Robbert Pattinson is good looking and young; he can get more jobs and get a stronger role later in life. him signing up for a shitty movie like Twilight is forgivable.
But Charlie signing up for a cheap script slutty movie and becoming a fame ho thinks he'll become a big movie star.
- How many books are there. Charlie will make a fortune.
- There are 4 books, but I'll predict they'll split the last book into 2 movies. But this will only happen if the first movie makes a profit. With the obvious low budge, I'm pretty sure It will make a profit. Can't believe women are into this shit, and then they cry wolf later when it happens to them in real life. Maybe you should stop sponsoring abuse to begin with. And YES, it is Abuse.