- I love Andy Murray and want him to win.
- R2 = Kevin Spacey
- Bernie Tomic gets my mussy warm.
- Bernie has ferret face. Is his super classy dad allowed on the grounds, or will he have to watch matches from a local bar?
- For the love of God, Tennis Channel, give Ian Eagle a raise so he can afford a better rug. His hairline looks like it was drawn on with a magic marker.
And why does Chrissie insist on wearing sleeveless frocks? To show us her skin by Louis Vuitton?
Oh, and fuck MaSha.
- I miss Pete!
- [quote]I miss Pete!
So stop off at the Bronx Zoo, there's plenty of him up in the trees.
- Nadal's ass looks incredible....somebody designed his shorts very well (it will not stop his pulling the pants ritual but....)
- Schiavone...still not gay????? Really?
- Poor Schiavone.....6-0 and 4-0 down.....
- Oh, great sighting this morning. Was heading to work at a godawful hour and just around the corner -- I live in the West Village -- I spotted a young woman with a big racquet bag. Just then she spied the US Open courtesy car pulling up at the next corner and she grabbed her bag and dashed off. Lisa Raymond. And she got in the front, which showed a lack of entitlement.
- I also spotted Jason Collins on my way to work this morning as he waited for her ride to the airport following the VMAs. Adorable.
- [quote]Lisa Raymond. And she got in the front, which showed a lack of entitlement.
She lost in doubles today. Is she still chunky? I am surprised at how big some of the women players are.
- Serena not Venus, right?
"As he waited for her ride"
Is that what you meant, R13?
- Yay! Thank you so much for this OP! :D
- I spotted Pam Shriver. But I was on site. She interviewed Jamie Hampton after her win. Her lady-loins must have been a-quivering!
As she left the court, she walked by someone with a camera who yelled out "Hey Pam! How about a picture?" She didn't stop. But in her defense I'm not urge she heard him, plus she was with the camera crews so she was probably getting yelled at to get to another court for TV purposes.
- Urge. Nole.
- " Jimbo, marinating some ice-cubes in Florida"
What does this mean?
- R5 Tomic's father is banned from going to the USO site. He will have to watch from a hotel I guess lol.
Sexy Verdasco blew his match today. He had a chance to get back on serve in the 5th set in 2 different Dodig service games. I enjoyed the match though as it had some nice shot making from both. The blond guy in Dodig's camp-either his coach or trainer, is nice and buff.
Serena was devastating today. It's not easy to destroy Schiavone 6-0 6-1.
So glad Venus battered Flipkens and Stephens survived Minella.
Unfortunately JankoBITCH won. Can't stand her.
If anyone say Ferrer vs. Kyrgios...watch for that kid in the next year. If he gets fitter he has a lot of game.
- [quote]The blond guy in Dodig's camp-either his coach or trainer, is nice and buff.
Dodig from the neck down is pretty dee-lish, too.
- R14, that's bs. They haven't started doubles yet
- If you're tired of constant PrimeTime, having to pay to post, threads getting deleted for no reason, and whimsical banning, click below.
Our WM isn't a stupid nazi cow, and we might one day have again what DL used to be.
- During the Serena/Frankie match, Pammie Shriver had a nice chat in the stands with fellow het-gal Robin Roberts.
Those broads seem to have a certain camaraderie. As far we we know, both are single ladies currently, right? I wonder if they got together later to go cruising for some cock.
Watch out boys if those two sexy cougars hit the club together.
- [quote] spotted a young woman...Lisa Raymond
Thanks! Young Lisa (just turned 40)
- R20, Verdasco has sucked for the past two years. He sorta started to play better again.. he improved. Then he just fell back into his old habits of choking again.
- Dani V at R21, I think you're the most delish personality in the tennis world! :-) Andy M. Is so lucky!
- R21 yes Dodig is hot enough IMO.
there are a lot of hot guys playing today too
- I hope James Blake has a good showing at the tournament. He hasn't always been a player that I liked, but as he's struggled to stay in the game these past few years, I've grown to appreciate him more.
Unlike Roddick's announcement a year ago which made me happy, Blake's makes me sad.
Also I hope he gets another chance to tell Pammie Shriver to shut the fuck up.
(I love you Pammie, but that was funny shit!)
- I for one don't miss Roddick. He sucked and was lucky to win that lone slam.
- Re: Verdasco, at least he's improved a bit. He'll always be a headcase - I mean every match he plays involves some sort of choke or mental walkabout.
But last year he lost to a player ranked 483 in the world. He's managed to drag himself up from those low-points at least.
- You're sweet, Not Kevin S., thank you!
I know someday Andy will recognize what he's got, and give it up to me.
- LOVE Del Potro!
Like them tall and hairy!
- Talking about Kevin S... I think he definitely will come this year since his lad Andy is the defending champion?
- YES! Finally found a shirtless pic of Brad Gilbert. Unfortunately you can't see all of his body but from what we can see, it's clear he works out. I think he's kind of a muscle bear dilf.
- Since athletes of all types are being asked their opinions on Russia's law prohibiting the propaganda & promotion of homosexuality, I bet we'll get some quotes coming from the US Open pressers.
I'm particularly curious to hear what kind of comments Kuzzy would make on the issue.
She's always struck me as the most anti-establishment of the Russkies, so she might have the balls to express a negative opinion.
Davydenko, on the other hand, probably thinks it's a great law.
- R36 that's why, as much as I dislike her, it's a bummer that $ugarpova is not playing. I'd be curious to hear what the "Russian" who has lived in the US since she was 7 has to say about the laws. She was one of the main "Russian" athletes used by Russia to get the Olympics in Sochi a few years ago.
- Guys check out Thomas Fabbiano, who is giving Canadian cheater Raonic a hard time. Fabbiano is a good looking guy and short! only 5'8! I haven't seen him play before but I'm impressed.
- R  How is Raonic a cheater?
- R39, he cheated against Del Potro when he touched the net and he won the point.
- I'm really pulling for Dellacqua in her match against Tomlijanovic.
- Why didn't the umpire do something about it then, r40?
- Dimitrov lost in the first round.
Anyone watching Federer right now?
- R43, I, myself, am not.
- R42 it was caught on television but the umpire was looking at the ball. Everyone – including Raonic – agreed that the sportsmanlike think to do was to man up, especially since it was on tape.
So cheater and liar.
- Casey Dellacqua confirmed as a lesbian (rumours around for years)!
- So many out and comfortable Aussie lesbians. Good on 'em!
- Shocking scores: Errani double bageling anyone and Donald Young dropping just 2 games in any match. They both were on fire today.
So Gulbis was right...Canadian Pospisil only plays well in Canada. He flopped in a 5th set tiebreak, losing it 10-12. He blew 7 match points.
- Love seeing Nole take his shirt off.
- WOW 17 year old Hatian-American Victoria Duval knocks out 2011 USO champ Stosur 5-7 6-4 6-4!
- Stosur out in the first round. She really is a total head case.
- [R37] Maria went to a gay friend's wedding in the US not long ago.
LOADED QUESTION: Sveta was asked about gay marriages...
- R45, you do realise that there are other linespeople and judges other than the umpire. So, even if the umpire didn't see anything, the people whose job it is to stare continuously at the net should have. Plus, the other player can issue challenges.
- r54 - but there are virtually no net judges any more (they're brought on only if there's no netcourt monitor thingy or if it's on the blink), so the net touching more or less has to be seen directly by the chair umpire, or has to be owned up to by the perpetrator. In this case the chair umpire (Layani) was keeping his eye on the ball and quickly looked back to the net, where Raonic had quickly pulled his foot back. It's clear that Raonic was aware of having nicked the net with his foot (even the commentators in the clip, below, noticed), and should really have given up the point (tennis ain't soccer...). He copped a lot of flak for not admitting to it, and eventually issued an apology. Del Potro was so incensed that he ended up losing the next 8 points or so.
There's no doubt that Raonic was guilty of cheating.
- ITA w/ R55. It was obvious from the replays that Raonic saw that he touched the net. DelPo saw it; only the umpire didn't see it because he was watching the ball.
It's a rule you're supposed to call on yourself. Raonic failed to do so, so I'd call that at the least very, very poor sportsmanship, and in substance, cheating.
- Pospisil wastes 7 match points and loses. Unbelievable. It's crazy to me that people think the ATP besides the very top guys is mentally tougher overall than the WTA. Maybe with the better serves and increased power the chokers can hit their way out of trouble a bit more easily, but it's still a tour full of nervous wrecks.
- Thanks for the link, r55. Del Potro is a top player and a Grand Slam winner. If he let the unfair loss of one point affect him so much that he loses the match then he needs to work on his mental outlook.
- The clip at r55 also shows that if Raonic had stopped two millimetres before the net the point would still have been Raonic's as there was no way Del Potro would have hit it.
- R59, agreed, but he didn't and, technically, the point wasn't dead yet. The "there's no way Del Potro could have gotten to that" argument is specious - the rule simply states that players cannot touch the net until the ball is clearly dead (i.e on the second bounce). There are no grey areas left to arbitration or jesuitical "what if"'s. Raonic was well aware of what he'd done. Hence his subsequent apology.
r58 - true, all too true. Del Potro should just have pulled his socks up and gotten on with it.
- Novak Djokovic attributes his success to a gluten free diet!
- Gluten free hotness
- Martina Hingis & Hantuchova have their first round match later today - against the No. 1 seeds Vinci & Erani.
That would really be something if they knocked them out of the tournament.
That Duval girl that took out Stosur last night - she's so cute but she has the voice of a little girl almost to the point of being unsettling.
She's got an interesting backstory though, so step aside Sloane and Madison because ESPN has a new drama to sell to the viewers.
- Russian tennis players quiet about anti-gay legislation
- Roger Federer talks to FOX Sports analyst Andy Roddick about his passion for tennis and the highs and lows of his career.
Roger: Unfortunately, you can't have it all
Andy: Yes, you can.... you selfish bastard
- [quote]In Russia if you don't support Putin you are in big, big trouble.
A Kuznetsova quote from that article at r64.
That pretty much sums up why there will be very little speaking out by Russian athletes on the issue.
It's much easier and safer to play dumb like the stars listed that claim to have no idea that the law even exists (Maria Kirilenko, Vera Dushevina, Nadia Petrova, and Dmitry Tursunov).
On the one hand I want to be angry at the lot of them for being afraid to speak their minds. But on the other hand, I don't know what repercussions they think they will face if they do publicly oppose Putin and his legislation.
It's really something though that even world famous athletes don't feel they are protected or safe enough to be open.
- The rumor of Jack Sock dating Marion Bartoli was put to death within about 10 minutes since it started...
- I miss Roddick and Sampras, two of the hottest guys in tennis.
- I never got the Sampras thing. He wasn't all that good looking and I strongly suspect would have been an extremely boring lay. No sex appeal at all beyond fleeting youth.
Thank god he was good at tennis.
- Pity that play was suspended. I was hoping for quick victories for Dewarman and Dolgopolov.
- I thought the Vicki v Stosur was a power lesbian match until Vicki spoke. Everything about her screams lesbian except that voice. Vicki has great length on her shots and it gave Stosur tons of trouble. I think she's going to be good but she needs to improve her serve.
- Andy Roddick actually did a pretty good job of interviewing Federer. Thanks for the link, r65.
- R64, they're not allowed to comment on it, it's illegal, they may be opening themselves up to prosecution back home. At least none of them have come out in favour of the legislation, like that idiot Isinbayeva.
Did you know that paintings satyrising Putin and other right-wing politicians who supported the anti-gay law were removed from by police an art gallery in St Petersburg today? That's the kind of environment Russian tennis players are in, not the nice safe American environment you are in, where anyone can make any statement they want.
- Stupid rain :(
- Andy looks better than he has in years. Well he was never really cut out for tennis....
- Burka, is that you at R75? Well, Roger was apparently cut out for tennis. He's the greatest ever. It's unfortunate that he focused on it so intently that he became blinded off court. He is now unable to recognize basic concepts like "thin" and "beauty".
- I want to sniff Novak's nationalistic Serbian pit in R62's pic.
- Thoughts on the Williams vs. Zheng match?
And I did mean Serena, not Venus, in my original post.
- Who has a better butt: Novak or Roger?
- That's a hard one, so to speak, R79. Neither has much of a butt. Roger's is a bit bigger, but Novak's looks more muscular.
- R79, Novak's was definitely better before he lost all that (gluten-induced?) weight. BUT, as far as bulge is concerned, it looks as if Nike has to make Roger's shorts a bit larger in front to accommodate what looks like a WHOPPER... I'm constantly amazed at the bulge...
- That is hard. I like Djoker's body more than Fed's but there is something different about Fed's body ( has he lost weight) I liked it more when I saw it yesterday. But better butt, I'll just say Djoker.
- Well,Rafa,when it comes to butts, I would say the ass of my dear husband outshines that of both Novak and Burka's husband. It's in a class of its own, somewhat like my thinness and beauty. See the link below of the two of us at the beach. I'm cut off in the pic, which is appropriate because the radiance of my beauty might, just might, distract from the beauty of my husband's voluptuous butt. Anywho, my image is virtually everywhere, from magazine covers to calendars to runway films. I don't want to be overexposed or "over" anything really, right Burka?
- "It's down to nerves now, not about who's a better player. It's all about nerves." - Chris Evert, World's Worst Tennis Commentator
- Venus out.
- Sad end to the Venus match. Blows a backhand volley when she was right on top of the net and then hits a sad backhand out on match point.
- I've always loved Roger from the waist down.
- Poor V. If only she could get more consistency on that serve ( especially that ball toss). It still takes quite the effort to defeat her even after so many injuries and so little match play so that's something good to take from it.
- James Blake and Ivo Karlovic is battling it out. Fifth set, 4 all now.
- Oh, and in case you didn't realize, that was me, Brooklyn, at R63. Kisses, beautiful gay men who adore my husband and me.
- Oops, R83 not R63. I'm a bit of an airhead tonight.
- I LOVE YOU BROOKLYN!
- Brooklyn Decker Roddick is my favorite. Only Brooklyn would have the cojones to tell Mirka that she thought she had died at the end of "Ghostbusters".
- Djokovic is too thin for me now. If he were to gain some muscle then I would consider him to be hot enough.
Roddick is funny looking with beady eyes and those ears, weird skin, off-white teeth...nothing sexy about him. His body was never more than mediocre either. He's not even intelligent but somehow lucks out and gets a sports "journalist" job. He really has had a lucky life.
Federer's temples are receding a bit. In that interview you can see it. I don't think he'll go bald though.
Shame about Venus, but she needs more match practice. Hopefully the doubles here will help her with her game.
Blake really choked after winning those first 2 sets.
Anyone see Del Potro? He ran into a dishonest opponent AGAIN. Garcia-Lopez got treated for "injuries" about 33 different times but was able to run and play just fine during rallies. Juan Martin was pissed but was too classy to chew him out at the handshake.
- R94, I agree that Andy R. is not good looking and has a mediocre body. Except for his ass which is freaking hot.
Andy M. is also not good looking but his rocking hot bod more than makes up for the face.
- The inconsiderate scheduling for defending champ Andy Murray is puzzling. He's been practicing at the site since early last week and they schedule him on Weds night with rain predicted? Did Princess Prissy Pants Roger Federer urge the organizers to do this? They would never allow that gramps three days before he took the court. The protocol was always for the defending men's and ladie's champs to play the first match for their draw in the stadium.
Victoria DuVall is playing mixed with Donald Young.
And Melanie Oudin - why does she stick around? She's in the mixed with some poor kid who will have a bad neck and back after carrying her lard ass for two sets.
- oh please. Fugly, boring and annoying Murray already benefits from advantageous scheduling at Wimbledon. He doesn't need it here. The first few rounds of his draw more than make up for his late start. I do agree spreading out men's round 1 action over 3 days is stupid though.
Oudin hits a hot streak every now and then. In addition to her 2009 4th round Wimbledon and QF USO results, she won a title last year. She has a leading h2h over former #1 Jankovic. Oudin isn't going to be a top player but every now and then she's capable of good results.
All the matches on Arthur Ashe will suck today. The matches that will likely be the most competitive and have the most drama are: Isner-Monfils, Ivanovic-Dulgheru, Jankovic-Kleybanova and Hantuchova-Duval. At first glance most of the men's will be bores.
- Actually, the highlight of this year's US Open has been my Tuesday commentary. That was when I proclaimed Tuesday - Day two of the Open - as one of the hottest days of the tournament.
- @R96 the reigning champ playing first is a Wimby only tradition. US Open have always spread out the men's first round over three days. Sick to the stomach of Misery (Murray) complaining about it and all the British commentators and pundits who would not have said a word about it had it had been Nadal, Djokovic or Federer waiting until the third day.
I predict Misery will not win this year as he will have to play two top quality players before the final (Berdych and Djkovic). The two slams he has won he didn't have to play anyone until the final.
I find it funny that the year he wins Wimby is the year a record number of players lose early or drop out with injury.
- Dearest Bronx,
How nice that you could take your finger out of your throat for a minute to drop us a note.
I will certainly agree that your Andy has a lush and ample posterior. Tell us, do you refuse to eat even that? Here's a newsflash: it doesn't have any calories.
- [quote]I find it funny that the year he wins Wimby is the year a record number of players lose early or drop out with injury.
- Really, Ouiza @ R99, your hatred of Murray is irrational, obsessive.
Murray holds the US Open title, and Wimbledon Title, Olympic Gold, and was a finalist at Oz.
It's not like nobody else showed up over the last year.
Let it go, it ain't healthy.
- M'lynn seriously who are you really? You must either be Mrs. Judy Murray or Mark 'Socks' Petche
ps I call Petche Socks because his head is so far up Misery's arse that all you can see of Petche is his socks.
- What makes Roddick's ass freaking hot?
- These threads are hilarious!
I thought Roddick was articulate and pretty good interviewing Roger.
I love Roger's silky locks but he needs a nose reduction. It's not working for me.
What about the beautiful David Ferrer? Nary a mention of his buttery soft skin?
- Fuck you R103. There are lots of us who find Andy Murray hot!
- R106 you need a trip to the opticians.
- Sloane Stephens looked fierce last night. It was the best I've seen her play.
- I think Sloane could beat Serena again here.
- I really like the look of Caroline Garcia, she potential has an excellent game but disappointly beaten by Robson.
Wow Robson really has very bad skin.
You are absolutely right. I saw a nude of David Ferrer some time ago that was just draw dropping. Or I should say, it made we want to drop my jaw...
And that hair! I want to stroke it.
- These tennis threads are worth it for the Brooklyn v. Mirka posts alone.
- What do you like about them, R112?
- Federer just won (easy match), querrey is playing Mannarino....what is the scoop on Mannarino. He looks like he is smelling cookies while he plays.
- What happened to Roger's bad back?
It's a miracle.
- Look at this video. Ferrer in underwear with Nadal in underwear. Monaco is sitting next to Nadal.
- I'm hearing some info that Jack Sock's contemporaries (younger American players) have acknowledged off the record that he has been with Bartoli, despite her twitter protests. Info is second-hand at best, so do with it what you will.
Mark Knowles on Tennis Channel looks cute.
- Sam Querrey bugs me.
- R99 indeed it's no coincidence. If Murray has to play multiple top players with tough lower ranked players before that, he doesn't win the tournament. At the USO last year and Wimbledon this year his paths to the finals were quite easy. He won't be #1 either unless Djokovic and Nadal both get injured for long periods of time. By next year at this time, Murray will be holding no slams.
- bye Querrey, gurl. You have a boring game, boring personality, fugly face, NO body...and just because he's american espn always hypes his ass up. Thankfully he's gone.
- 1 Slam, 3 Slam, no Slams. I don't give a fuck.
I'm in love with Murray's thighs and his ginge ass.
- Moo-ka, darling, I never knew that Van Cleef offered a plus size collection. Or are you using bracelets as rings to fit over your chubby fingers? Btw, when are you taking up sumo wrestling?
Roger's back probably healed once his wife stopped hoisting herself on top. The human body just isn't designed to bear that much weight.
Thank you for complimenting my Andy's luscious rear end. I admire it as do many others. I, in fact, do take care of it, servicing it like you do a twinkie: savoring and swallowing. Speaking of twinkies, did you miss them during their temporary absence, or did you stock up in anticipation? Are you disappointed that they are now smaller, like Roger's ass compared to my Andy's?
And you still have the power to surprise me after all these years: I'm surprised you have even a passing knowledge of anything that has no calories.
- WTF is Serena wearing?? It looks like some random rags she picked out of the laundry
- Venus's lovely top shows what good use there is for your grandmother's old chintz davenport!
- Sweet Jesus, Rafa looks tasty.
- I actually think Serena looks refreshingly normal. Venus on the other hand..
- Rafa has an incredible body.
- WOW. Isner must be VERY unpopular in NY. The crowd is solidly behind Monfils.
- That surprised me too, R129.
- Isner is boring. Monfils is an exciting player who entertains everyone. Monfils' biggest problems are A) getting injured as he throws his body around the court with his incredible movement and B) sometimes he's too flashy instead of just hitting a winning shot.
That's 1 thing about the USO crowds-they are not as blindly nationalistic as the crowds at the other slams.
Some very intriguing women's matches tomorrow. The only men's matches I want to see are Del Potro vs. Hewitt and Young vs. Mayer.
- I like Mitt Romney fan John Isner even less now. What a tedious turd he is. He should get paid the equivalent of his entertainment value.
- I want to eat out Rafa so bad. Oh, to savor that ripe ass...
John Isner is a slack-jawed pangolin. They try to make him look presentable from time to time, but he always gives off the Fragile X and FAS vibes.
- I agree with R121, Andy Murray is hot, with or without multiple slams.
Fed can have 200 majors for all I care, I still won't touch him with 9-foot pole. He deserves that fat ugly Mirka/Dorka/Burka, whatever her name is.
- Rafa is indeed looking really good.
- the "Murray is hot" trolls are laughable. You guys have really low standards.
- Let it go, Ouiza!
- Nadal looks like an ass-picking baboon. Completely unattractive.
Let it go, Quiznos.
- John Isner @JohnIsner 9h
I miss the south. #godscountry
Isn't he precious...
- ARTPOP beats Madonna for most Pre-Ordered album in History
ARTPOP is already #1 in 52 Countries
- Andy Murray @andy_murray
Great nipples from @Evo151216 never once seen that on a tennis court... Got the physio on due to nipple rash...
- Top Ten Sightings at the U.S. Open This Week
10. Pam Shriver and her duck walk. See R17.
9. Two mature (40s) gay guys walking around the grounds holding hands. I've been at the tennis several times in the last 15 years, and this is the first time I recall seeing gay PDA.
8. Feli Lopez changing his shirt during his match. Mmm, mmm, good.
7. Hot guys with ugly gals, and hot gals with ugly guys. I always find it interesting, and a little heart-warming. "Love is Blind," and all that.
6. Wrinkle Woman. It wasn't old-lady wrinkles; she was pale, kind of chubby (but not huge), and had rolls of skin on her arms, kind of like a Shar-Pei. It must have been a skin condition or something. But I was surprised she was wearing a skimpy tank top that showed off her wrinkles.
5. Mary-Bland Fernandez, offering her bland commentary at a bland Q & A session.
4. Fat ladies wearing skinny girl clothes.
3. Hot chair umpires and lines judges. There are not a lot, but there are a few.
1. Guys with huge biceps and jutting pecs walking around on spindly toothpick legs. It's an epidemic! Note to young men: your biceps shouldn't measure larger than your thighs.
- With Sampras and Roddick gone, there are no hot guys in tennis now.
- What's a "Mirka" and what's a "Brooklyn"? And why should anyone of us that matter care?
- R139 ugh. that white southern, Bill O'Reilly-loving Republican is getting more and more on my nerves. Of course when he moved to Florida, he picked Tampa.
35 year old Haas continues his good form. His face still looks very good and especially the skin but his arms and legs have that old man look to them (aka not enough sunscreen).
What is it about ugly male British tennis players? First Murray. Here's that Evans guy who upset Tomic. Just fug:
- I never considered Sampras good looking. He looks like a monkey with a tongue sticking out.
- r145 He tweeted that after yesterday's match in which he was disappointed that the audience did not support him.
Isner hits out as US crowd backs Frenchman Monfils
- Isner will get spanked by Rafa in the 4th Round. Can't wait to watch the Repug go down.
- If he thinks the NY crowd was against him before, it's going to be worse now. Isner is welcome to play all the Grand Slams in the South that he wants. What a baby.
- That slug really thinks he's something special. The NY crowd reminded him that he's a nobody. He has the most boring game, how can he be so surprised that the crowd preferred Monfils?
- [quote]6. Wrinkle Woman. It wasn't old-lady wrinkles; she was pale, kind of chubby (but not huge), and had rolls of skin on her arms, kind of like a Shar-Pei. It must have been a skin condition or something. But I was surprised she was wearing a skimpy tank top that showed off her wrinkles.
r142 - Hey, I noticed her too during the Monfils-Assner match. I think it is some kind of medical thing though. And that could explain why she doesn't give any fucks about it either.
I hope the crowd continues to give Assner shit, but I expect it had more to do with Monfils. Kohlschreiber isn't going to inspire any cheers. If Nadal falls behind in his match with the serving machine, then the crowd will desert JohnJohn again.
- Are the rest of the ESPN team required to say "6-time US Open champion" every time they introduce the worst commentator in the world?
- I do wish all the slam crowds were as non-nationalistic as the USO crowd though. It's annoying to see the Aussies, French and Brits go crazy over their players. I just feel everyone should cheer for a player they like based on game and personality, not just because he/she is from a certain country. By the same token, I hate when a crowd purposely is against a player just because of nationality.
- Stay loosey goosey, R152. Stay loosey goosey.
- Leave Chrissie alone!
- Dear Steffi,
22 Slams, I don't know how many millions from the products you shill, and you can't fix that can-opener of a schnoz? As a woman, you have no excuse.
- Yes. And they're also required to force all players interviewed to gush over how amazing it is to play in the US Open in NEW YORK CITY!!
- The Hewitt/Del Potro match is tense and exciting.
- I didn't know Hewitt was even still around, he must be ancient by now.
- Hewitt's 32.
- WTF is wrong with DelPo's wrist AGAIN?
Is girlfriend's purse too heavy?
- Hope Lleyton wins. Del Potro's shorts are damned ugly and I don't want to see them in another match.
- I'm glad to see that Lleyton is married to a thin, pretty blonde. So sad when some players just throw in the towel and end up with sad, shapeless frumps like what's his name from Switzerland did.
- Bitch Dumb as Rocks,
Some players take to whores as a consolation for their lousy careers.
- Rusty wins, yay!
- Sad for Del Potro...hopefully they can figure out something for his wrist that won't involve another surgery. It seems every few tournaments his left wrist starts hurting again. I wonder if it's just scar tissue or if the pain wasn't fixed from the first surgery...
- Honestly, I wonder how much of Del Potro's wrist problems are actually above the neck. I'm not saying he's imagining them, I just think he might be so afraid o having more wrist problems that he tries to overcompensate and makes it worse.
- Dearest "Brooklyn", which I'm guessing is more of a journey (for Andy) than a destination (he isn't staying, dear), we are fine with how we look. We've earned our place in the pantheon of greatness. We hope you arrive here soon! How's your forehand?
- the whole Brooklyn and Mirka thing in this thread is boring and tired at this point.
- So skip over the posts, Sunshine.
But I guess it's more fun to lay a turd in someone else's punch bowl, eh?
- R170 if you love the whole Brooklyn/Mirka thing THAT much, you have issues. It's boring and redundant at this point, homegurl.
- The point of the metaphor, R171 (which seems utterly to have escaped you), is that some miserable fucks just get off on ruining other people's fun.
Speaking of having issues.
- Kvitova lost again. The flop is never ending.
- I like the Brooklyn/Mirka thing.
Del Potro is my favorite... I want to give him a full body massage, and then some.
- Hello, lovely gays (and R169). Do that "Troll-dar" thing, and you'll see that I'm the real Brooklyn not the subpar impostor polluting this thread. And like all impostors, you must treat them just the same (I learned that at Wimbledon; Andy read it to me from above the entrance to Centre Court).
Hello to you to, Stuffi. Andre's ex-wife, Brooke, and I circle in some of the same circles, and while she's nice and beautiful and thin and beautiful, you two are truly a game-set-match and so well suited to each other. He truly hit the jackpot in meeting you especially since he can apparently ignore the whole not being beautiful thing. Especially compared to Brooke too. Did I mention that she's thin too?
- Well this sucks. Can't watch the Open all weekend. It's on fucking CBS.
- I know that Tipsaravic is a misogynist and homophobe, but I sure want to fuck him silly
- Kevin Spacey has finally made his way to USO.
- You can stream at usopen.org, R176.
- I hope that the crowd is cheering enough for Isner today so that widdle Johnny doesn't get his feewings hurt.
- Jack Sock has such a "punk" vibe.
- The Queen of Pop:
- Did anybody see why Bernie Tomic retired again today?
According to the scoreboard, he and Chris Guccione retired up 2-1 in the first set of their doubles match today.
I can't find info on which of the guys was hurt.
- Thank god Isner is gone.
I can't stand that freak, especially with that Roddick-Connors bullshit "I can't win so let me wave on the crowd to shout down my opponent." Obnoxious.
- Read about me, bitches! I'm in the New York, or something.
- Isner have two issues working against him: he's a servebot and a repug. He's not exactly the fan favorite because of that. Players like Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, and even the pusher Murray, are more interesting to watch.
- They also like winners, R186. After awhile, this "I'm so exhausted from my size and my game" bit gets old. Okay, you're trying -- and making a fortune for losing, but add the boring game to the losing, who wants to watch that?
- I agree with [R187]. Isner....go back to watching Fox News. Loser.
On another note, Dkokovic does not look that great on that NYorker article....
- There was something unpleasant about that New Yorker article. It seemed one-sided with just a slight attempt at pretending to be objective.
I am a Djokovic fan though, so maybe I'm just biased.
- R188, what else can you expect from a guy who's totally clueless, yet STILL wants to go work for the UN? He's against statehood for Kosovo. How the hell is he going to work for peace if he can't even get the Kosovo issue right? He is completely clueless, same with his family. There's a reason Djokovic was never well liked among tennis viewers, fans and experts. Yes, they all appreciated his amazing skills, and yes.. I do admit he's a brilliant tennis player (or at least he was when he was at his best). But and here's the thing.. the ATP and his team had trouble making him likable. There's a reason Rafa has more fans on Facebook and Twitter. Nadal is still a more household name than Djokovic. Even for casual people who know next to nothing about tennis.. I'd say all of them have heard of Federer, most of them have heard of Nadal, but few have heard of Djokovic. I saw a sharp decline in viewership when Djokovic was at the top too. Or at least it felt that way. There just wasn't this crazy buzz when Djokovic was good. Now Nadal is back, playing excellent and I've seen much more discussion from tennis fans, and more buzz too.
I think Djokovic is a brilliant tennis player, but he has an image problem. He just isn't that likable. It's bad enough that Serbs in general have a bad reputation in Europe. Add his cocky and obnoxious attitude and his stance on Kosovo, and you've got yourself a problem.
- Del Potro could stick it the whole way in. So could Djokovic. Both are hot.
- The fact that people like him less than Federer is bizarre to me R190. Federer is arrogant, petulant, self-absorbed, tactless and a sore loser. Yet he gets a pass for his behaviour by many. I mean his performance at Wimbledon this year alone should have been enough to question his character.
- R183, apparently Tomic has a virus.
- I'd like to know who Isner's tall, blond buddy was. I mean the guy that the umpire got out of his chair to yell at. He looked like he might be hot.
- [quote]Kevin Spacey has finally made his way to USO.
At the Nadal match, right?
Definitely an ass man. Like me.
- Wozniacki is terrible. No pace on her groundies. Can't move for shit.
- The homosexualist Mannarino appears to be losing quite a bit of hair.
- Mannarino sets my gaydar off big time. What's his story?
- Yeah, you have to have some ass to pull that off, R197.
- I don't think I'll watch Isner again. After his loss today, he stated that he didn't care and he was going to watch football and that's all he cared about. Sad attitude for the US #1 player.
- I agree R192. Fed must have a brilliant and powerful PR team, because he never gets called on his bullshit. Of course when you pile up a load of Slams, people tend to forgive a lot.
- For people who weren't following several years ago, when Djokovic first came on the scene he already had an attitude. He had a couple of infamous moments: he retired after losing 2 sets to Nadal at RG and then in the press claimed he "was controlling most of the points". Then at the USO in 2006, he was playing Monfils and was practically bending the rules with the amount of times he called the trainer due to cramping yet still won.
Djokovic was VERY off-putting and I only cheered for him to break up the Fedal dominance which was already boring by the mid-2000s. Then after he started winning a lot more, he must have hired an image consultant/PR people. Suddenly he went out of his way to do this fake humble thing to the crowd and worked very hard to try and win them over.
It's all an act. Djokovic is cocky and obnoxious. Eventually when a couple younger guys usurp his place in the game, I expect him to become a jerk again and the "charming Djokovic" image will be gone once again. The whole Kosovo thing is the icing on the cake.
- I would like to see an exciting new American prospect start doing well. I never liked Roddick or Isner. Blake was a headcase and kind of boring personality. The new guys coming up just don't seem to have a top player game so far.
Giorgi was very impressive. She is so hit-or-miss with her ball bashing game but tonight she was on and she had some nice long points against Wozniacki. It was an enjoyable match to watch. LMAO @ Giorgi's crazy-looking father though.
- BTW, we should start an Open drinking game during night matches: Every time an announcer comments on the "atmosphere" on Ashe in any way - be it "electric" "amazing" "like no place on earth - SHOT!
- I never felt an attitude, R202. My first memory of Djokovic is of his win in Miami in 2007 where he played Canas and was asked about Canas' drugs ban and about hugging him at the end of the match or something and he was extremely gracious and talked about how even though he wasn't South American or Spanish people should get used to him hugging them...this is all paraphrased from memory, but I just loved his attitude and became an instant fan. (I can't even remember the story about Canas' ban, but I liked how Djokovic did not want to get involved and seemed compassionate and warm)
- is that you, our anti Serbia troll @ r202?
- Novak had a lot of breathing issues early in his career, which have since been surgically corrected. I can't recall the last time he quit in a match.
- Or perhaps Djokovic has just grown up. People forget that a lot of these players are in the spotlight when they're young, and make mistakes, but many do grow up.
- Really, people, there is no anti-Serbia troll. I personally don't have a problem with Novak, but people are allowed to have an opinion about him without being called 'anti-Serbian'.
- Djokovic did hire a new PR guy - Benito Perez-Barbadillo - the same guy who looks after Rafa. He came on board after that US Open when Roddick made those comments about Djokovic always having something wrong with him. Notice the following year with Djoker having kids who lost parents in 9/11 in his box each night, doing the TV circuit, etc. There was a concerted effort to "rebrand" him.
And cannot agree with (R192) enough. I think the fact that Fed's game is just so aesthetically pleasing/graceful/apparently effortless also really helps him in the PR drive. He is quite articulate and smarter than most tennis players, but he is one pissy bitch - the moment he doesn't get his way it becomes very obvious.
- R209, are you delusional?
We've put up with this "all Serbs are homophobes" crap on these threads for over a year now, and bringing Kosovo into this is more of the same.
There are plenty of people who oppose breaking up Spain, Canada, and even the U.S., and that doesn't make those people "clueless" about peace. Even the EU is split over the issue.
Are you asking the British players why they're not supporting liberation of Northern Ireland? Israeli players about Palestine?
We've been free of this Djokovic is a homophobe crap and now this starts up again.
- r210 - I've never found Federer particularly smart or articulate, though I'll say success did polish him up a lot. When he first became dominant, he inexplicably got a 'nice guy' image that's always stuck, no matter how many examples to the contrary. I think he really benefited from timing - he hit big right after the dullard Sampras and Lleyton Hewitt, whose crazy father made him completely inaccessible and difficult with the media. Mirka, OTOH (who used to handle Roger's PR), made Roger extremely accessible, so he got great press.
Djokovic hired his own PR guy after he hit it big. But yeah, Benito did a lot of damage control, setting up Djokovic's foundation etc. Whoever's working for Djoker now has done a good job of keeping his creepy father in the background.
r190 - I agree that Djokovic hasn't caught on so much, but it's not entirely because he's unlikeable (and I say this as a Nadal fan). Federer & Nadal are still far more successful career-wise, and they had their rivalry bumping up both their profiles. Djokovic is late to the party. Not sure there's room in the general public's mindset for 3 big names in men's tennis. However, there is something crass and desperate and clowny about him. Nadal & Federer both assumed their fame a lot more smoothly.
I'm not even sure why I dislike him. Normally, I'd admire a straight man who loves a poodle unapologetically.
- lmao just because someone isn't a fan of Djokovic, it doesn't necessarily mean the person is anti-Serbia or anti-Serbians. Djokovic is 1 person. His game is a grinding game and is more tolerable than Murray's, but far from exciting to watch. Nadal can be a grinder but his heavy topspin on the forehand makes his game stand out. Federer has a modernized classic game and is fun to watch as well.
I don't think Djokovic is "evil" but he certainly has an attitude. I definitely feel he won't be so nice when the next younger player or 2 takes over the game.
Murray must have PR too. His personality borders from boring to whiny to cranky.
- Just read that New Yorker article. Yes, it does sort of highlight why Djoker just isn't an easy sell. He's full of bravado, yet kind of an effete idiot (even though intellectually, he's probably a little deeper than Nadal or Federer).
I don't have a good feeling about his future. I feel a bit for him; he seems to have a weakness in his character that makes him vulnerable to charlatans (the religious nonsense, the suspect doctor etc) and I can't help thinking that he's in for a lifetime of being used and exploited. With Nadal and Federer, you know they'll shuffle off to a pleasant tennis afterlife. Djokovic seems like he could end up anywhere.
- I kind of agree, r189, and I don't undersand why it ended so suddently and oddly. The journalist spent time with him in London, she was able to make follow-up calls, it's not like he hadn't dedicated any time to her and I can imagine he's a busy guy who can't be on the phone with a journalist all the time, especially when his car comes and he needs to go somewhere else. The last words of the article are: "and the line soon went dead." What does that mean? He cut her short because his car came? He put the phone down immediately without saying goodbye?
- Typical Noletards defending the slaughter of millions of muslims and a homophobic sh!thole of a country.
- The player who comes off as the least smart of the top players is Nadal. And it's not his lousy English, either.
At least Djokovic and Federer think with their own heads.
- It's pretty funny that Nadal basically gives the same answer to any question. I'm beginning to think that he's a tennis robot.
- Nole has become a class act today and is an excellent ambassador to the game. Tennis fanboys are notoriously territorial so the fact he was able to pick up his own following in the Nadal/Fed era is nothing short of miraculous. Oh, and if he were from a country like France, Germany, Britain I think he would be twice as popular.
- Nadal is very one-dimensional in interviews. He doesn't give much insight into his thought process but I think that is intentional. He is incredibly focused on winning and does not allow for any distractions. Nole needs to burrow some of that spirit from him right now.
- Please get help, R211. You sound unhinged.
- Sorry, not related to USO - I'm really interested in possible withdrawals from WTA & ATP Moscow from players who usually play there in light of that law or what will happen there in general.
Sam Stosur (an obvious lesbian) made the finals last year but maybe she'll opt out. Withdrawing from there wouldn't be as big a deal 'cause it's only one event.
- I'm hoping Andy Murray and Serena will win in singles, Vee and Serena in women's doubles, the Bryan brothers in doubles & Sloane Stephens and hunky Jack Sock in mixed doubles.
Roger Federer's slimmer body looks fabulous. In person he has a wide back, thick legs and big calves. Ivo K (the serve master), is a good looking guy. Andy M has a glorious body in person (his face is just fine in person. He reminds me of a young Charlton Heston.) Julien Benneteau has a handsome face, sexy voice, hot body and a lovely & masculine manner. The male players don't act homophobic when approached by gay male fans for autographs and pics.
Venus Williams is an elegant woman.
- TBH I don't know why people find Murray so hideous. To me he's totally normal-looking. His teeth could be better maybe, but still he's normal-looking not ugly.
- Pospisil has an average face, but some seriously hot legs. And that reminds me that I am loving the return of above-the-knees shorts.
Looking forward to the Serena/Sloane rematch later today. I think Sloane really does have the game to make it competitive, but I also expect Serena will be out for blood. Should be fun either way.
- Does anyone know who is calling this match on CBS? I want to go stuff a sock in his mouth. He talks as much as McEnroe!
- My man will hoist the trophy next week, bitches.
- Perhaps, Burka, but can he hoist you?
- R226, I like Vasek Pospisil's ruddy complexion. I think he's very cute. Very Bel Ami.
I hope he moves up in the ranking. He's talented but mentally weak.
- Any one want to predict how many majors Sloane will win in her career?
- Donskoy (the dude Hewitt is playing right now) doesn't have a stunning face, but he looks good in his tennis shorts. He's got a nice, solid body too.
- It sounds like Bill Macatee, R227.
- I hope Jelena Jankovic is in super bitch mode tonight when she plays Li Na.
That will make staying up late to watch that match worthwhile.
- It's hard to make predictions in women's tennis. One year a female player can look like a future multiple grand slam winner and the very next year they will hardly win a match and fall down the rankings. The thing Sloane has going in her favor besides her athleticism is that she doesn't appear to be mentally fragile ( at least for a player her age).
- Jankovic is always in super bitch mode. It would be unusual if she wasn't.
- WTF you guys are saying Pospisil and Donskoy have "average" faces but Murray is good looking? What planet are you living on? Pospisil and Donskoy are cute. Murray is fugly as fuck.
Some of you must be blind. This is NOT appealing in any way:
- I posted the Donskoy comment, r237.
I think he looks really cute on court today. But when I googled him, there were a lot of pictures where I didn't think he was all that handsome. That's why I added the bit about his face not being the greatest.
100% I agree with you about Andy Murray though. I'm not one of those that gush over him.
- FYI sloane and sock already lost in mixed double.
- Are Sloane and Sock fucking?
- Andy Murray is one of the most stunningly handsome men to have ever walked the earth. I'm not ashamed to admit that I often have erotic dreams of Andy, where we shower together after he wins Wimbledon!
- Sloane is the youngest in the top 100, right? Sock still looks chubby to me. He needs to work on that a bit more.
- I do think and hope that Sloane is the real deal. I'm not nationalistic when it comes to tennis, my favorite player ever is Rafa but we need some good American players.
- Is Serena wearing a figure skating outfit? WTF?
- Hope Sloan gives Serena a little shoulder bump on a change-over.
- She does look like she should be on ice lol. She seems like she's more focused on tennis than her outfits these days.
- Did Hewitt win?
- Nike's women's outfits have all been pretty bad. Vika looks terrible too.
- The Hewitt match is still going. He won the first 2 sets and they are on serve in the third 4-3.
Lleyton changed his shirt during the changeover. He's a little soft around the middle these days.
- Sloane does not look a bit chubby. And vika's outfits make her look fat.
- Sloane stands so flat-footed on the return of serve. That's so strange at this level. They both seem nervous too.
- [quote]The player who comes off as the least smart of the top players is Nadal. And it's not his lousy English, either.
I agree. I think it's because there's a perception that he is so controlled by his family and his uncle in particular. I heard a story a few years ago that he had to ask Toni permission to buy some flashy car. I've also read a quote from his uncle that he would never take a dime from Rafa for coaching him because that would give Rafa the power in their relationship.
But he also comes off as one of the nicest guys in the world, even if everything he says is scripted. His "lousy" English is kind of charming too.
- I said Jack Sock looks chubby ( or at least flabby) not Sloane.
- I think someone posted that Sock is chubby, not Sloane.
Sloane has to be one of the fittest players at present. Her foot speed is insane.
- Serena takes first set 6-4.
- Even though she lost that first set, it seems like Sloane is joining Vika as the only two that can routinely test Serena.
- Sloane is impressive, though. Not many people can hang with Serena from the baseline ( maybe her sister, Clisjters, Henin, Capriati?). I think she's the real deal and you can tell that Serena does too. I notice that when Serena starts consistently hitting serves in 120s she realizes that she's playing a quality opponent.
- It's a shame Serena and Sloane had to meet in the round of 16. When the draw came out I was hoping this wouldn't happen. I'm glad the match is competitive so far.
I hope Azarenka and Jankovic lose. Can't stand those bitches. They think they're hot too but they're ugly as fuck. Go Na and Ana!
I was hoping the wildly entertaining Baghdatis could upset that piece of shit Wawrinka but alas it didn't happen. The wife/child-leaver is through to the fourth round. Berdych needs to destroy him on tuesday.
- Did Wawrinka leave his wife and child for another woman? For some reason I always thought he was gay. But Fed seems gay too so maybe it's a Swiss thing.
- Supposedly he left them to "focus on tennis." His wife spilled all to a tabloid. Said he just abandoned them one day and moved into a hotel.
- My guess is that Stan left his wife for Benoit Paire...lol
- Wikipedia says that Stan is back together with his wife. Who knows if that is true.
Serena will be heading to the locker room in a matter of minutes.
- Lleyton Hewitt just advanced by finishing off Donskoy in 4 sets.
They had a nice moment at the net too.
- but the amusing thing is, Wawrinka's ranking has stalled and for someone who "wants to focus on tennis", how about getting in the best shape possible? His arms are skinny as fuck and he has a gut. That's a BS excuse. I'm sure he didn't mean to knock up that woman and he probably just used tennis as an excuse to rid himself of the responsibility of being a relatively young married father. His attitude in matches annoys me too. He's got this OBNOXIOUS yell when he wins a point and a stank attitude towards ball kids when he's losing.
Hewitt just won but I expect Donskoy to be top 20 next year. He's got serious game and is a decent athlete. All he needs is to become more consistent. He's also cute with a nice body. Hopefully he's not an asshole
- To focus on tennis or to focus on another tennis player? Tennis players hook up a lot.
- [quote]He's got this OBNOXIOUS yell when he wins a point
You could say this about any top player today, unfortunately.
I love the way Serena overpraises Sloane - just enough to let us know she's bullshitting.
- Stephens needs more time to develop but I think she's a champion in the making if she stays injury-free and can stop being a headcase. She got outplayed today, but in a number of matches this year and last year, she was in a winning position against higher-ranked opponents but choked.
Suarez Navarro randomly advances to the QF. She has a fun game to watch too.
Last American male Tim Smyczek is about to take on Granollers. If Smyczek loses, this will mark the first time in history that no American male has reached the fourth round lol. That is pathetic but the males suck. I'm glad we have some women coming along.
- Sloane got mentally and probably physically worn down. I've seen Serena play twice in person and it's a very different experience in person. The serve is by you if you blink, the second serve has a ton of action on it, the return back at you as soon as you hit the serve, she hits powerful shots anywhere in the court, she hits the ball early and deep.... It's hard to deal with that onslaught for an entire match. She has to be sub-par for opponents to have a chance. The good thing is Sloane still has a lot that she can improve on even though she's already very good. I think she's a future slam winner for sure.
- r267 There won't be a fun game against Serena though. Suarez-Navarro doesn't even have the strength and power to stay with Serena... Bad matchup.
- I want Ivanovic and Li Na to come through but I'm not confident about it ( although Li Na is in pretty good form).
- Na/Jelena should be hilarious. I'm looking forward to it.
- R271 It could be full of errors...if that's what you mean.
- Tennis Channel is showing the Haas/Youzhny match.
- I forgot about that match. Thanks!
- I hope Haas beats the shit out of Youzhny. Youzhny can be entertaining and play good tennis but he's so fucking stupid he annoys me. His brain is clearly just an ornament.
- Last summer there was a particular ballboy that I thought looked like the British diver Tom Daly.
He's working the Granollers/Smyczek match right now. He's just a little thicker this year, and he doesn't look as much like Daly as I thought he did last year, but he's still cute.
He must have gotten some sort of demotion. Last summer he worked matches an Ashe a lot, but I haven't seem him on the main court at all yet this week.
- R276, if it's who I think you mean, he's been working on Ashe quite a bit this week.
- r263 - Hewitt is always super friendly at the net.
r260 - Yeah, I think Stan abandoned his wife & daughter abruptly after less than a year of marriage when his tennis was going well, then went back to them when his tennis was on the skids. Pretty sure she and their weird looking kid are in the stands these days, so I guess it stuck.
- Too true, R266. I also laughed at how Sloane is hip to Serena's effort to always shake the umpire's hand first and didn't let her do it. Serena was taken by surprise ... "well, okay, go ahead".
But funniest of all is how Stephens boasted that the match was going to be "epic" and then, well, alas the second set was ... he he ... not so epic.
Let's face it. Serena looks classy next to this brat. She gloated after her win (no acknowledging that Serena was injured), overreacted to a tweet of Serena's (or took the bait, thinking it was about her) and then decided to go off on Serena for not being nice to her in the locker room or calling her up to chat. And then she had her ass handed to her on tour.
I want to see the next encounter between these two. Revenge is sweet, Ree.
Revenge is sweet, Ree.
- What's Vasek Pospisil's skin color, precisely?
- I'd say white, with some rosacea.
- Turquoise, imo.
- Anything interesting about Joao Sousa? It's the first time I see him...not baaad.
- Wawrinka is kind of a cunt. Where's the Sociopath Troll when you need him?
- Nadal is divine.
- Djokovic can imagine my ass is Croatia and pound away accordingly.
- Now that it's become such a item in the press, Serena has stopped racing to shake the ref's hand first. Serena didn't shake the refs hand first in the prior match either.
- I don't think she ever did it to be rude. Just one of those weird superstitious things the players get into to.
Sousa's kinda hot. And man does he sweat.
- Sousa has feminine, soft lips.
- "Roger Federer's slimmer body looks fabulous."
Good for him that he is slimmer. It's sad, though, that he doesn't encourage those around him to be slimmer. Perhaps he has investments in the makers of Peeps?
- The crowd for the Smyczek match does a "USA, USA" chant periodically. While that would probably make John Isner green with envy, it is annoying.
They are also doing the "What time is is?" chant. The answer of course is "Break Time."
That's for whenever Tim is about to break Granollers serve, which he's been doing a lot and just did again to go up 3-1 in the 5th set.
- Serena, meet the future...and her name, is Sloane Stephens.
- It's amazing how much better Novak looks with just slightly longer hair.
- Smyczek is kind of cute. 5th set, on serve, 4-4.
- Smyczek is cute. He's got a tight little body.
But I do kind of think he looks like Hermey the Elf from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
- I have a feeling Smyczek blew his chance. Hope I'm wrong.
- Tim is cute. He's got a face like he smells fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies.
- He is, and he does, haha, R288!
- You are right r277 and I've probably just been missing him.
He's on Ashe right now doing the Li Na/Jankovic match. There was a shift change during the Smyczek/Granollers match and he was relieved before their 4th set started. Now I see he's doing the late match on the main court.
- Is Suarez-Navarro a little "special"? She's also a fuggo mouth-breather. Her faux-jumper outfit doesn't help matters either.
- Lol at r300!
Most of the night matches have sucked this year!
- JJ really laid an egg tonight. What a disappointing effort.
She didn't even have any good blow-ups at her coach/brother.
- Ben Stiller @RedHourBen
So exciting getting to say hi to and watching @Andy_Murray today at #UsOpen
- I was at the match. Ben Stiller and his wife were seated next to Dr. Oz. Odd combo.
- I'm happy Serena put Sloane in her place today. Sloane comes across as entitled and spoiled.
When you come at the Queen, you better not miss. You did not throw The Queen off by claiming the match would be epic. Got it bitch?
- Sloane does come off as an entitled, spoiled brat. The difference between her and Serena is that Serena's earned it.
The media has already anointed her, but she hasn't won anything. Her lone semi came thanks to a hobbled Serena. If Serena had been at her best, the result in Australia would have been much like today's.
I hope Sloane takes a page out of Novak's book and turns her stank attitude around before it's too late.
- I like Sloane Stephens. She's got a great on-court low-key presence that's not overly emotional and LOUD (as in grunting) like the Williams sisters and others.
If she can cut down on the silly errors, become a better thinker on court, and improve her serve, she could be the next Serena.
Yes, I agree with the other poster, Serena's words about Stephens after the match, smacked of phoniness.
- It was hilarious how Serena was killing Sloane with kindness in her remarks, while schooling her on court. I don't begrudge Sloane her cockiness though; it's her prerogative at 19/20. I just hope she keeps improving and doesn't go walkabout like so many young players with promise.
- Can we go back to discussing that behemoth of the NYer article on Djokovic? I found R214 and R215's posts insightful.
What was up with the end of that article? "The line went dead"? How were we, the readers, supposed to interpret that? I thought it was perhaps meant to allude to the fact that no one seems to really know the real Djokovic, a point that comes up throughout the article.
I get the feeling that he's someone without a very stable sense of self.
I saw a clip from him winning the USO 2011 title; he was in a FDNY. I had forgotten about that, but how desperate does he have to be to do something like that? Dancing around the court in Montreal? He doesn't even seem that happy to be doing stuff like that these days; it's like he's resigned himself to the Djoker persona.
I can't believe someone would not only believe a story about how cursing at water turns it a different color but also write about it in their book, admitting to believing it.
As for why he's not very popular, it's because of Federer and Nadal's popularity but also because he has no real charisma. He seems like a basically friendly bloke though.
- Djokovic says against Syria strike plans
- Serena will clearly be out for blood each time she faces Sloane in future matches. Sloane truly got a schooling for gloating in the press for beating an injured Serena. Going off on Serena a few months ago in the press only added to Serena's whipping mission.
- r309 - Djoker seems like a really suggestible guy. When the player imitations got a laugh, he did them constantly, and on demand - like a monkey. When he got criticized, he immediately stopped. Until recently, when he started doing a few on request again. Dance monkey, dance.
I just can't see him ending up well; there seem to be so many dodgy influences in his life. His father blows him up with all these delusions of grandeur and paranoia that he's not being respected by the other top players. His quack doctor has him convinced his success depends on a highly restricted diet.
Then there's his "think of the children" foundation, which has been raising shitloads of money recently, but just seems like a recipe for misappropriated funds. Not that I doubt that Djokovic himself has good intentions. I just doubt his ability to surround himself with people of integrity. I mean, that exposed grifter Fergie is an ambassador for the foundation!
- R309 here. R312 seems to have it right. I think Djoker has basically good intentions but whose sense of self is too caught up in others.
I had the same thought about his foundation. Try as he might, no one really pays any attention to it, and it would probably be quite easy for some of his handlers to set up a scheme.
Has anyone read that new book of his promoting his diet? I read in the Wall Street Journal that he recommends a particular brand of honey that you can only get from Oceania and is quite expensive. He's in Gwyneth Goop territory with that one. I'm sure everyone in his war-torn home country will be running out to get honey.
- I'm a big fan of both Serena and Sloane and it doesn't bother me 1 bit that they're clearly just being nice to each other to keep the press/public off their backs. I like that Sloane has an attitude because it means she's not afraid of the top players. All she needs is to become more consistent and she can be a top player herself.
I'm thrilled Li stomped that Jankobitch gal.
Radwanska was terrible today in losing to Makarova.
Sousa is good looking! He actually didn't even play badly but Djokovic was just not missing tonight.
- It's odd with Nole. He's reminds me of Agassi with his talent. Insane return. Pure ball striker. Every shot in the book. I predict he ends up with 10 Slams. But he just doesn't have that "it" factor. I mean, no one had Andre's. But he's so far behind Fed and Nadal, even though he's near them in talent. Well, not near them really. They are two of the best three of all time (with Laver). But he's in the conversation. Maybe it is his chameleon skin. It reads false.
- [quote ] Then there's his "think of the children" foundation, which has been raising shitloads of money recently, but just seems like a recipe for misappropriated funds.
I have to agree. It seems shady and there are two issues with his foundation. First, he is desperate to find A-list celebrities to join him. During Wimbledon, the party for his foundation was SAD. And, secondly, if he cares so much about the kids in his country....why does he live in Montecarlo? Pay taxes in Serbia and you will help people in your country. To me, that is a sign of a Major Douche.
- When Federer quits the spirit of tennis dies. These new players are too much into the money, not the passion for the game.
- As if Fed doesn't play for the money,R317? Please, his face is on every Mercedes ad, coffee makers, Netjets, etc. He's not doing it for the "love of the game."
- Djokovic and Nadal make millions in endorsements, too. Do they not love the game?
They are smart about cashing in on the popularity, as athletes have always done. Why should Federer be any different?
- R316, I had forgotten that he doesn't even live in Serbia. Even if he doesn't want to live there, he could still have his official residence there. Living in Monte Carlo is basically just a declaration that he wants to dodge taxes of any kind. Why doesn't the media take these guys to task and keep them honest?
I don't understand why he needs to hunt down celebs for his foundation. It makes me think that part of his aim is to be seen and photographed with these celebrities. I saw some pictures from the Wimbledon event and don't even remember who was there, so that's probably a sign.
- Would you want to live in Serbia with all that homophobia? On the Riviera he can get all the cock he wants.
- "I mean, that exposed grifter Fergie is an ambassador for the foundation!"
Is that Fergie, Duchess of Pork, or Fergie, Duckface of Duhamel?
- Sloane has big eyes like a lemur. They want to set her up as the next Serena but so far she has not proved she has any mental toughness.
- Unfortunately most of the top European players leave their respective countries behind for Monte Carlo. That's why I scoff when they say how "patriotic" they are. Bitch, you ain't paying no taxes-you can't love your country that damn much.
Nadal lives in Spain and Murray lives in UK. Federer does have a place in Switzerland but obviously they don't do taxes there. Some of the Russians do stay in Russia but that's about it.
- At your link, R310, Djokovic makes it sound like Sebia was pounded with massive artillery for four years and not Croatia or Bosnia. Meanwhile, he won't comment on Srebrenica, because for him it's too complicated of an issue. He really needs to shut up about anything other than tennis.
- [quote] Bitch, you ain't paying no taxes-you can't love your country that damn much.
I totally agree with you on this one. And it's not only tennis players that do this.
- I don't think too many top players even live there and it's just a myth that gets handed down. I can think of Djokovic, Berdych, and Vika Azarenka.
- R327 yes they do-that's why a lot of them are so friendly. Wozniacki, Hantuchova, Dimitrov, Cilic, Dolgopolov,
Some others live in Switzerland such as Ivanovic, Bartoli, Mauresmo, Tsonga, Gasquet, Simon, Benneteau, Monfils and Kohlschreiber.
Others live in Dubai like Jankovic.
- A bit off-topic, but since it was brought up: Reading back on how the bombing of Serbia started, it is amazing to see the similarities with what is happening in Syria. There certainly seems to be quite a bit of skepticism as to who was responsible for the Racak massacre that eventually led to the strikes.
This obviously does not negate all the other atrocities that took place, but I do think there was also quite a bit of propaganda on both sides and apparently some false flags.
- How can anyone watch Rafa play, and think he doesn't have his heart in it, or only wants the money?
No one wants to win more than Rafa, no one. Every point of every match, he's focused and wants it.
And no one wants Rafa more than me.
- Rafa suffered from a game burn-out last year. He even talked about it himself.
- Well he obviously got over it, R213. He wants it more right now than either Nole or Roger.
- Probably because he took a lot of time off last year, R332. But he seems to have a lot of lows and highs, so I expect there will be another low for him at some point.
- [He really needs to shut up about anything other than tennis.]
Absolutely. When he opens his mouth and talks about politics, he sounds pretty ignorant.
- A lot of Serbians to this day don't believe or don't want to believe the things their government was doing. Their government is also historically a very close ally of Russia. That's telling.
We don't hear Ivanovic or Jankovic discuss poliics. We have only heard them describe what it was like growing up and training during the war. Djokovic for some reason feels compelled to make his views known and is arrogant about it. I wonder what would happen if an Albanian player were to rise up through the rankings before Djokovic retires. That would be quite interesting.
- Fat Mirka.
- R335, the Serbians also hid the war criminal/mass murderer Mladic for years. Most Serbians today still support what he did. It's like me supporting Anders Breivik. It's disgusting and despicable.
- R337, but Anders Breivik is cute, but not as much as my darling James Holmes. Squee!
- Because Djoker is an annoying and arrogant person. He thinks he's an intellectual. It's one thing to be arrogant about your skills on the court but it's another to be arrogant about your off court ( lack of) abilities.
- God, enough of Jimmy Connors. The only thing I hate more than rain delays is Jimmy Connors, the most arrogant prick to walk this earth.
No, I'm not Maria Sharapova.
- Exactly, R339. His cocky and obnoxious attitude is what is making him less likable. He always seems so self obsessed, he loves the spotlight, and it's annoying.
- Djokovic desperately wants to be celebrity famous and not merely sports famous. The Wimby gala was so odd. I was wondering why any of those people were there. Did they get appearance fees? I doubt most of them knew who Djokovic was or give 2 shits about Serbian kids.
The Tennis Channel was interviewing a new assistant coach of Djokovic's and he went on and on about what a great honour it was to serve on Djoker's team, like Novak was god-like or something. He also mentioned the biggest challenge is keeping him focused on the tournament; Novak is so confident that he'll win that he sometimes has trouble focusing enough to get the job done. That's a lot of bravado.
Then again, I guess that mentality has been working for him since he's #1.
r322 - Pork Duchess.
- Federer is a petulant, moody player who, as another poster suggested, gets away with murder with the media. He is such a sore loser and a bore to interview. How many times can he say that he plays "unbelievable tennis" while not giving any credit to his opponent? Enough already. Such a douche.
- Graf got away with being a poor loser too. She would give the quickest, most impersonal handshakes and was really cold to everyone. Post-tennis in interviews she does come across as nice though.
- Did CBS just put on a Capriati trilogy?
- Well, I won't lie, I don't like Federer and I don't feel sorry for him at all. And some of it does have to do with his attitude. The press constantly give him a pass. The press created this false image of Federer and won't let go of it no matter what he does, they see in Federer what they want him to be, what they desperately need him to be. I also don't think of him as the real GOAT and I can't wait until a certain someone (not named Federer) gets at least 18.
- I just turned on the TV and they're playing Agassi vs Sampras right now.
- I think they did, R345. Capriati just tweeted something about it.
- I love Federer. When he plays well, he says so. I hate it when Serena loses and refuses to give credit to her opponent for playing well.
Graf is my all-time favorite. She was so painfully shy and awkward with the spotlight, however, and built up walls around herself. She also had a lot of father-created issues to deal with. Graf has grown into an incredible, classy person. The Graf of today would be comfortable in the spotlight - and probably a lesser player because tennis wouldn't consume her life.
- As if Federer ever gives anybody credit.
- Is Novak playing at intellectualism now? He's just not a smart guy (he reads Rhonda Byrne's "The Secret", among other travesties) - I don't see that leading anywhere good.
- At least Federer doesn't seem desperate like Djoker. Federer is who he is, a businesslike and haughty Swiss guy.
Regarding R342, I found a page of photos from this gala. Funny stuff. Duchess of Pork and Beatrice are quite desperate to attach themselves to any charity event now. Goldie Hawn looks medicated. And you could cut glass with Djoker's girlfriend's chin and giant teeth.
- 1 off-putting thing about Federer is his friendship with pretentious snot Anna Wintour.
- Anna Wintour sitting near Federer's dad.
- UGH at the women's bottom section. 3 journeywoman scrubs into the QF? The winner of scrubfest Pennetta vs. Vinci to the SF?
I hate how bigoted Tipsarevic is. It's unfortunate because I really find him sexy. Despite the big nose I like his face. His body is really nice. I could do without the trashy tattoos but then again he's a jerk anyway.
- Feds is throwing this match to avoid having to meet (and lose yet again) to Rafa.
- Does anyone else here think Tipsy has a mincing gate to him? For such a mach guy..he is a bit of a priss-pot.
- Robredo is making me moist down there.
- [bold]Feds is throwing this match to avoid having to meet (and lose yet again) to Rafa.[/bold]
Exactly my thoughts....
And I always wonder if Anna Cuntour says something to Mirka or just ignores her.
- Anna Wintour hates fat people and Mirka is a fat person.
- [quote]Feds is throwing this match to avoid having to meet (and lose yet again) to Rafa.
Robredo up to sets.....If Federer comes back and wins (still possible); he will likely be exhausted Wednesday. I am not sure what is the best outcome for him. However, as  said, seeing Wintour is so off-putting that I want Robredo to win just to think that she will be pissed off.
- "Anna Wintour hates fat people and Mirka is a fat person."
- lmao anyone just hear the feature on espn2 narrated by Jared Leto? WTF does he have to do with tennis
Would be hilarious if both Federer and Nadal lost, setting up Robredo vs. Kohlschreiber QF
- [quote] Last summer there was a particular ballboy that I thought looked like the British diver Tom Daly.
He's working the Granollers/Smyczek match right now. He's just a little thicker this year, and he doesn't look as much like Daly as I thought he did last year, but he's still cute.
He is working the Nadal game....still hot.
- Looks like somebody forgot his readers and Celebrex.
- R348 Not related to anything US Open but thanks for sending me to Capriati's Twitter. Saw a picture she uploaded with Arantxa Sanchez. I loved Arantxa!
- Wow. I've been following tennis since Lendl was #1 and I've never seen Roger Federer play so poorly. He looks terrible tonight. I've also never seen him sweat so much either.
- The material on the front of Federer's shirt is a darker shade of blue than the rest of it. It does look like seat, but it actually isn't. Unless he was sweating through it before the match even started.
Pretty uninspired and sloppy play from Roger. Robredo will deserve this victory.
- Yeah, I've never seen him play so poorly. I actually almost feel kind of bad for him.
- I would blame Roger's loss on Mirka's truly hideous outfit.
- Federer is out....Tommy Robredo is adorable.
- [quote]The material on the front of Federer's shirt is a darker shade of blue than the rest of it.
Yes, the material is clearly darker in the front. I wasn't talking about that. I meant his head, arms and back. It must have been humid as hell out there.
- Well, thank Christ that miserable affair is over. My nerves are shot.
Now WHO DO I HAVE TO FUCK around here to get a goddam cheeseburger and fries?!?
- He wasn't sweating profusely. Wasn't playing very hard, in fact. Wasn't much effort from him.
- wow Reichen Lehmkuhl's friend def. Anna Wintour's friend. Who would have thought?
Federer was awful.
- i have never seen Roger sweat so much. His silky tresses are never that wet. Ever!
- When Robredo slipped and fell, face down, his ass was plump and delightful.
- Nadal down first set...
- Bye-bye, Roger!!! Anna is not going to like this!!!
- Rafa's return is off so far.
- Was one of the guys in Tommy's box his boyfriend?
- [quote]When Robredo slipped and fell, face down, his ass was plump and delightful.
Robredo no have good ass. I have good ass. My famous ass World Number One.
- Nadal apparently did a head-to-toe gear change after the first set. Where are the pictures?
- I hate to say it but I do find Tipsy attractive. And yes he is a little prissy. He also considers himself an intellectual.
- Tipsy really *is* a homophobe.
And just because you tattoo a some Nietzsche on your arm doesn't mean you're an intellectual.
- R384 sounds like he changed in the bathroom or something :(
- Nietzsche is the least respected of the major philosophers. His appeal to the rabble is inversely proportional to the respect he garners from both academic philosophers and literate people in general.
- For the record, I respect Nietzsche immensely as a thinker and a stylist. He is one of the best stylists of all the major philosophers -- SK being, IMO, the best.
However, I don't think Tipsy is an intellekshal.
- Rafa with another head-to-toe change! Is there a limit on the number of times you can do that?
R387, Brad Gilbert did make it sound like Nadal's been changing in the locker room.
- Nadal is sweating like anything... I remember last time that happened he was coming off a virus. How hot is it on center court, anyone know?
- 76, 92% humidity at Arthur Ashe right now.
They said that the humidity was @ 80%
Must be miserable out there
Maybe Nadal will play shirtless :-)
- Tipsy desperately wants people to think that he's a deep thinker and an intellectual ( kind of like Djoker). He likes to talk about how much he reads. I hate that he's a homophobe/bigot.
- 79 degrees, but also about 80 pct humidity.
I wonder what Nadal's pits smell like right now?
- I hate Nietzsche also, R388. It's funny that R386 likes Kierkegaard too, because he's the only other philosopher besides Nietzsche that I abhor. Plotinus, Kant, Meinong, Hegel, David Lewis are the ones I especially love, but I at least like the others - only Nietzsche and Kierkegaard get my goat.
Who's more homophobic: Hewitt or Tipsarevic? Or has Lleyton mellowed in recent years?
- R396 and R386, what do you think of Wittgenstein?
- I see no reason why he cannot just play naked. I volunteer to hose him down afterwards. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.
- They can leave the court between sets to do a full clothing change if they want. You can usually see them exit if you watch the online broadcast without commercial breaks.
The hot Tom Daley-ish ball boy got a camera shot all his own when they were explaining that Rafa has 2 towels now (one given to each ball person on the ad and deuce side) to save time between points.
- Oh so that's the ball boy you guys were talking about.
- Dear God. Kant and Hegel are HORRIFIC stylists. Kant admitted as much -- saying that if only he wrote like Hume, he'd have a much wider readership. Whatevs, de gustibus.
R397, I adore Wittgenstein, conceptually. He's one of my favorites, with SK and Kant. Stylistically he can be very obtuse (in The Tractatus, and some parts of PI). But conceptually, he is profound, and some of his writings, such as Culture and Value, are readable for the general layperson.
- I wish the guys played in those tiny ( and tight) shorts they wore in the 80s. Imagine Rafa in those.
- I agree. Katherine Heigl has horrific stylists.
- My posts are being blocked, apparently. The Webmaster must adore Nietzsche and Kierkegaard.
- That's weird. What kind of message are you getting when you try to post?
- For fuck's sake, start a philosophy thread if you want to debate the relative merits of Kant vs. Wittgenstein, and leave this one for tennis!
- Kierkegaard and Nietzsche were intellectually bankrupt. The former fought tooth and nail for Christ, and the latter just stole and made minor tweaks to Schopenhauer. Who cares about their 'style'? At the end of the day, it's their ideas that mattered.
I'm so happy that Robredo advanced! We need at least one gay to make it to the end...
- Eh, suck a cock, R406. Talk about tennis then instead of whining.
- Lord, R486. It was a small digression. Take a Xanax.
- I don't remember Kohls backhand being this good. He's annoying me.
- The greatest tennis philosopher who ever lived was David Foster Wallace.
- So, R396, what do you think of Wittgenstein and Evonne Goolagong?
- R411 is correct, actually... RIP DFW.
Let's talk more about Tommy Robredo! A thread I read on Men's Tennis Forums says that he dated Reichen. I try not to think of Robredo looking at Reichen as a human being.
- I can't believe Gasquet hasn't run out of gas in the long Raonic match! No way he'll recover from this if he wins, but still huge for him to actually hang in a physically demanding match.
[quote]I hate how bigoted Tipsarevic is. It's unfortunate because I really find him sexy.
Yeah, I liked him until I learned more about him. But it's not nearly as crushing as finding out Marat Safin helped vote in Russia's anti-gay laws.
r396 - I've never heard about Hewitt being homophobic. I know he's a total bogan and used to wind other players up on court, but by all accounts he's always been a mild-mannered polite puppy off-court. And he's always given great homoerotic moments at the net.
(Hewitt & Rafter in a full body hug after a Davis Cup match)
- Raonic and Gasquet are both cute.
- Raonic could possibly been cute as an infant, though I seriously doubt it
- Roanic looks like a petulant child. He's a Eustace from the Narnia books.
- Safin is just making up for his bisexual 'phase'.
Gasquet is very cute. I wonder who he's shtupping.
- Was that Marcus Schenkenberg standing and chatting behind Warren Sapp?
- Raonic looks like Kim Clijsters.
- David Foster Wallace died September 12 five years ago. Sad anniversary. That essay of his on tennis is heavenly. He's MY favorite philosopher.
- r420 - Haha! He doesn't, but he does. That sort of big Campbell's Soup Kid face. Guileless and not quite baked.
- R399, LMAO!!!
- That is an insult to Kim CLijsters! Bitch!
- There's also a pretty, dark-haired twinkish guy behind Warren Sapp. He has flamboyant hand movements and facial expressions.
- Richard is reading Milos' serve pretty well in the 5th set. But, he's doing a lot of running.
- r425 - Yes, he's very animated, probably knowing he's bombing into Sapp's shot.
- r424 - Kim's a pleasant-seeming, sturdy girl but she's not exactly Ivanovic in the looks department, no?
- R427, do you think the twink-like guy is gay?
- Yes, Kim looks exactly like Fiona.
- True, R430.
- r429 - He seems pretty sweet.
- Who's going to blink first? Richard or Milos?
This has turned into a battle!
- Rafa! The real GOAT was amazing tonight.
- r433 - Definitely. Gasquet was up a break and then got broken back. They've been showing the match on the Canadian sports channel without commentary from the beginning. It's kind of spooky.
- I like the matches without commentary because you get to see everything. There are no commercials.
- I like the shapes that aren't circles.
- Raonic looks like Marco Hofschneider from "Immortal Beloved" and "Europa Europa".
- Marco Hofschneider
- Marco Hofschneider.
- Raonic wishes he looked like Hofschneider. He's a dead ringer, though, for Moe Szyslak.
- Nice job by Gasquet, though unfortunately for him he's got the indefatigable Ferrer in the next round.
Also, a warm, friendly net exchange from Milos & Richard.
- WTF - they cut off coverage of the Gasquet/Raonic match when it's tied 5-5 in the 5th set??
- Richard !!!!!!!!!!!!
So so happy! Please take out that insufferable Ferrer creature.
Will Richard come out as gay now?
- lol r442
- Robredo just tweeted this.
- Robredo is definitely fuckable in a daddy sort of way
- r447 - That's so cute.
- Robredo aged badly, still very hot tho
- haha these Raonic look-alike things are great.
- Bummed for Roger.
- Robredo's ass still looks good.
- The Fed meltdown has one silver lining - he was humble about it, finally.
It's not his back, he says. He just didn't play well. Shockingly flat.
Take note, Fed fans.
- Now I'll have to root for the little engine that could - David Ferrer.
- Who will buy all my chocolate now? Who can get Roger to stop crying?
- Maybe you could take a lesson from Roger, R454.
Classy you ain't.
- Ana or Vika?
The "are you freaking kidding me" moment from VIka is just...not appealing.
- This Youzhny/Hewitt match is great - so old school, with neither player able to produce a blow-out shot and having to rely on tactics. They just had a 46 shot rally, with Hewitt on the ropes for most of it before finally lining up a winner (for a break point no less). Really fun to see.
- More Robredo love, people... He's one of us.
- Ivanovic is so frustrating. She was controlling most points today but after the first set her serve fell off and so did her ground stroke consistency. Azarenka is very lucky Ana couldn't keep up her level. Azarenka is also lucky with her draw-Hantuchova is slow as fuck and neither Pennetta nor Vinci have the game to stop her from reaching another final.
I'm sick of the Spanish veterans toughing out matches. I want new guys to start fucking playing. Nadal's path to the final is now pathetically easy. yawn...
- Shit I was hoping this was Ana's breakthrough but it looks like she is destined to be a 2nd tier player. She is gorgeous though.
I love David Ferrer and all the Spanish players. They're smaller and they hustle like nobody else on the tour. Ferrer is in a class by himself when it comes to dogged, won't quit attitude plus they're so much more fun to watch. I'm rooting for the smaller guys, sick of these serve only giants.
- Djokovic & Murray will have had ridiculously easy paths to the semis. None of the top players will be tested before they play each other. Not sure that really helps them.
But I love the Spanish veterans, even if they're rarely able to step up to Nadal. Actually, I have a soft spot for any of the old dogs (except Federer, because I can never think of him as an underdog, not because I have anything against him).
- Djokovic's brothers are cute.
- They play tennis too.
- The Djokovic match on currently, probably over already was an embarrassment. The Spaniard Garrolles or whatever his name is should've just forfeited. He was obviously exhausted but jesus. It was a pathetic display this far into the tournament.
- Yes it was terrible and very boring. I hate matches like that, but then I guess everybody does. Ivanovic is frustrating and it must be very hard to be her fan.
- That's why the Spanish veterans are annoying. They grind out matches against lower ranked players and then flop big time against the big boys. Occasionally they'll score a big win like Robredo yesterday. Guaranteed that Nadal will roll over Robredo and then Ferrer.
I hope Berdych annihilates Wawrinka.
- Berdych could win the tournament if he keeps on top of his game.
- R465, why do you think Murray has an easy path to the SF?
He has a losing record vs. Berdych (4-6) who is 2-0 against Murray this year.
While he leads Wawrinka h2h, it's close (5-8) and Wawrinka won the last time around.
I'd pick Murray to win that session, but it won't be easy...
- Damn!! Murray is so sexy!
- R473 = Judy
- Sigh, how can you not see it, r474
- Stop trying to make it happen, Judy.
- Murray has one hell of a body. No one can deny that. He is looking better without the wild hair. Also loving the tight shorts and quads.
- I won't lie I like the waist, thighs, and ass. However, the face is a nightmare, imo.
- I really am starting to think Serena is mentally ill or at least a borderline personality. What is with the King Tut make-up and the twirling waves to the crowd? She is nuts. I am all in for Li Na. She is a really cool, great player and sport.
- hideously ugly face and teeth scary as fuck
- Li Na will have to play insane tennis and Serena would have to be well below her level in order for Li Na to win. I'm just being honest.
- Murray is going to have to work tonight.
- Guess now that he won a set Murray's fake injury will go away.
- Serena looks lovely. She was incredible today! Great footwork, shots and speed. I don't think she'll have any real trouble with Li Na.
- Some phenomenal hitting between Stan/Tomas.
- Yes, it's a good match, R485.
- Li can hang with Serena from the baseline, but she's also wildly inconsistent
- Serena served a double bagel today! Li better bring her A game.
- Na usually plays Serena hard for one or sometimes even two sets. But Serena just does everything better, and usually Na makes 25+ UFE.
I'll call that one 7-5 6-3.
- I hope the winner of Serena/Li wins the title. I can't stand that bitch Azarenka and none of the other 3 in the bottom half of the draw are slam winning material.
Berdych is letting the match slip away. He's definitely had his chances.
- OP here. I saw the Azarenka/Ivanovic match in person today. Ivanovic is too slight to reach the top five of ladies' players. She had a terrific and precise first set, but she was overpowered thereafter by Azarenka. Ivanovic is like Chris Evert, but much like the World's Word Tennis Commentator, her style is 30 plus years old.
The second match, with Li Na, showed a surprising strength from her and her usual precision. She is truly at a level above Ivanovic and Azarenka. The second match of the day matches was at a level much higher than the first.
"Nole" and "Gondolier" was simply a thrashing. It's as if Gondolier just accepted he was going to lose and Novak just followed. Novak is so precise in person and has such superlative strength. This was my second match seeing him in a major, and he is more impressive in person than on tv.
- Wawrinka looks like he's going to beat Berdych.
- R491, I knew Chrissie was the World's Worst Tennis Commentator, but I had no idea she also was the "World's Word Tennis Commentator." I love word tennis.
That's quite the one-two punch for her resume!
- I'm strangely attracted to Wawrinka. He's got bad skin, but he looked cute in his outfit. Both were wearing shorter shorts. Berdych isn't as cute as he used to be. Seems too skinny now. I like wawrinka's stockiness.
- Stan's ass more than makes up for the acne scars IMO.
- Funny, R493. Obvious typo.
- Obviously, but it was perfectly awesome.
- Wawrinka does have quite an ass. He also looks like he lost some weight and got in better shape.
- I think a lot of you are selling Li Na short. She's played great tennis all tournament, she played Serena tough a couple of weeks ago, and Carlos Rodrigues has done wonders for her fitness and game.
I'm picking Serena, but I have a feeling it will be a close one.
- Novak won't be able to do that to Rafa!
- Wawrinka's ass is better than Nadal's?
- Hmmmmm, no. I'd say that Lopez is close or possibly better.
- A little fact about Serena and Li Na, the last time they played Serena won by 75 75, Li actually had chance to serve for both sets, before she double faulted on her set point and then double faulted on Serena's set point and match point.
- [quote]Wawrinka's ass is better than Nadal's?
In no conceivable universe.
- There is no stopping Serena this year. Once she gets to the semis it's over.
- Serena is playing much better now than she was in that tournament which is why I don't think Azarenka's win really meant anything. Serena looked impaired in that match. She couldn't serve the way she normally does, she was just spinning it in. Li Na will have to play her very best tennis and Serena will have to be off her game. I like Li Na ( I like Serena too so yeah) and always root for her but she will have to be on her game and playing her very best tennis. Serena is in a class of her own when she's playing well. So I'm not saying that it's impossible for Li Na to win, I'm just saying it will be very difficult if Serena is playing the way she's been playing so far.
- Both Men and Women Semis will be good
- Have you guys visited the "Gay Male Player Speculatron" thread at Men's Tennis Forums? It has seen a lot of activity lately, and they think that Mannarino, Kohlschreiber, Dimitrov, and Nadal are gay, among others. They kind of make us DLers look timid by comparison.
- I rewatched the 2002 Agassi/Sampras final today. Toward the end Dick Ebersol, Pam Shriver, and John McEnroe were talking about how Richard Gasquet could be playing in the final in a few years. Seems funny now - but could this be the year?
- Yes I'm a member on that site but I haven't posted in that thread, I've only lurked in it.
- @ 501 as a lesbian I really don't want to comment on Wawrinka's ass but his back hand is amazing, one of the best in men's tennis. I really hate two handed backhands, easily the ugliest shot in tennis.
Home is right but homo is more funny...#bye 😂
- I just can't keep my mind off Nadal's ass
- Next year, bitches.
- The Mirka "jokes" are so tedious and the people who make them really quite dumb.
- Rafa's huge rear has its own Tumblr. Federer and Djokovic are nonplussed.
- R512, that is hilarious!
Just by looking at his photos, I never considered Tomas Berdych to be cute. But, when I saw him in person at the LA tournament a few years ago, he was so much hotter in person. And, oh so sweet with his fans. And, those legs!!! Oh my....
- Only Murray and Nadal can even somewhat challenge Nole.
If anyone else makes it through to the final, just hand Djoke the trophy.
Same for Serena, but I don't think Vica can do it this year. She's been playing shit this tourney.
- I hope Gasquet can pull this off.
- I hope Gasquet can pull his briefs off too, R519.
- Ferrer is coming back! WTF is wrong with Gasquet?
- This is typical for Richard.
- Everything is wrong with Gasquet.
- Gasquet will never win slams because A) he's a headcase who either chokes or just can't maintain his good form for 3 sets and B) he's not physically fit enough.
Gasquet, like Federer isn't a big gym guy. Obviously he does something but it's not at the same level of most of the other top guys. Gasquet has great talent but he's short on the athletic side-he can move but he doesn't want to work out to get stronger and more endurance.
- Moist Rafa ass.
- I'm incredibly happy that we won't have a Nole v Murray final. They are just to boring. Two players trying to force to mistakes or waiting or the other to makes mistakes. The British commentators trying to make out that the rivalry is better and more intense than the Federer v Nadal rivalry. When it's just yawn.
- Thank God Ferrer is out.
- I love that Gasquet won. Especially after reading the naysayers here. Awesome!
- Yay Gasquet!!!
- It'll be Rafa/Nole thank God. Those two push each other to insane heights. The semis at the French this year was nail biting. I'm a Rafa fan, but I don't care if he loses to Nole. Nole is this era's Agassi/Conners. A great, great player.
- What do you have against Ferrer, r527?
- Who cares about women's tennis? Who wants to sit through two hours of shrieking headcases with 12 breaks of serve and multiple choking attempts? Add to that few rallies, can't serve for sh!t etc. Ugh.. women's tennis is just so awful. I don't get the appeal there at all. Can't play five sets either. I'm actually AGAINST equal prize money. The women can get equal pay when they can play five sets. Until that.. tough luck. I nearly laughed my ass off when I heard they needed a men's exo match for one of the women's tourneys. Why? Because they had trouble filling up the seats. They didn't sell enough tickets! LMAO. They needed MALE tennis players in order to draw in a crowd to watch the women! HAHAHA. Hilarious sh!t.
- R532 hi there, misogynistic pig. You must be 1 of Pat Cash/Janko Tipsarevic/Gilles Simon/Sergiy Stakhovsky. Maybe you wouldn't be so cranky if you would remove that 12 inch dildo from out of your ass. I like both men's and women's tennis.
I'm glad Gasquet actually won a 5 setter. It's unusual for him. He'll have 2 days to rest too.
- So is Gasquet..GasGay? Didn't we think he was family at one time?
I tend to agree with 532 about the prize money but there can be good Women's tennis. It looks like there are a lot of good American women coming up too.
- I think he's family, R354. Whenever someone brings up his homosexuality to him, though, he flips out. It's a very touchy subject with him...
- At the end of day, men's sports will always have more fans than women's sports. If the women ever played 5 sets, you would hear different complaints: the matches take too long, they're boring...blah blah. I love a good men's 5 set match but not EVERY 5 set match is a good one. There are plenty of boring ones.
There's always that rumor about Gasquet and some older guy in Monaco...who knows. Richard lives in Switzerland now but I can't remember back if he used to be in Monaco before that.
- Jesus check out Azarinka's most unflattering tennis ensemble. She's a mess.
- Who's the hot ball boy on center court? Christ: a little chunky but still dreamy. Fuckkkkkk
- I'm male and I'd rather watch female tennis than male tennis. I went to the Open this year and I'll go to the French next year. All to see the women.
- Why would she wear that? It's terrible.
- Hantuchova is such a clean ball striker.
- What Federer / Nadal rivalry, R526?
I can't remember the last time Fed beat Rafa.
- He's boring as hell, R531.
- Hantuchova needs a Big Mac, STAT.
- Daniela's a good size now. Nowhere near her sickly levels from 10-11 years ago.
- Yeah she go over the anorexia.
- Good luck to anyone prying a Big Mac out of your paws, Mirka.
Vika clearly needs a gay to help her in the wardrobe department
- Wawrinka is a tough out.
- Murray will have to win this 5. If he can get there.
- Murray is out.
- Bryan Brothers out too. No hot incest tonight!
- Good for Stan. First slam semi at age 28!
And speaking of age, I've been pretty amazed by the success of women 30+ years old on the women's side. For my own interest, I decided to compare the ages of the 2013 quarterfinalists to those of the 2003 quarterfinalists. And then after that I threw in 1993 just for the hell of it. Here are the three groups, ranked from oldest to youngest:
Serena - 31
Pennetta - 31
Li - 31
Vinci - 30
Hantuchova - 30
Jankovic - 28
Saurez Navarro - 25
Azarenka - 24
Capriati - 27
Davenport - 27
Saurez - 27
Mauresmo - 24
Schiavone - 23
Myskina - 22
Henin - 21
Clijsters - 20
Sukova - 28
M Maleeva - 26
K Maleeva - 24
Graf - 24
Sabatini - 23
Date - 22
Zvereva - 22
Sanchez Vicario - 21
- The Washington Post article on the match made it sound like Murray went psychotic / lost touch with reality after his loss.
- Why is Monica so thin?
- I've never found Novak all that attractive, but with his hair maybe just 1/2" longer, I swear he looks 10x sexier.
- Novak is a sexy dude who could be pretty dominant in the bedroom.
- Link please, R555.
- He said it was in the Washington Post, R559.
- I love how Djoker tried to pump up the crowd and got no response.
- I love that sour-face fuggo Murray got an old-fashioned beat down
- Well the photo of Murray during the match on this page should back up the psycho claim.
- And another.....I just think that Murray does not want it that bad. He never seems to enjoy himself that much out there.
- The U.S. Open crowd just does not care for Novak, R561. I almost feel bad for him - he always gets such a tepid response.
- It's so frustrating how no gay male players have come out yet. I'm actually a little ashamed of the sport... For having such a cosmopolitan reputation, tennis has really dropped the ball, so to speak.
I love this thread, though. Abrazos to all the interesting gays and lesbians who post on it.
- I do not think it is just the US Open crowd. He is admired as a great tennis player (and he should be). He is just not loved. His winning antics are very off-putting to some.
I am in England this week and I did not see the match but what did he do when he won that rubbed so many people off?
- Are you referring to Djoker, R567?
- Yes I was . I have read about it on a couple of forums....was it the usual?
I am attaching an article that is, somewhat, surprising. We all know how much JMac loves Nadal but...
'Rafael Nadal Is the Leonardo da Vinci of Tennis'
It’s usually Roger Federer who gets compared to intellectual heroes, but a remark by John McEnroe rightly appreciated that Nadal's best, most underrated weapon is his brain.
- Cmon, it's not Djoker's "winning antics" that put people off. Have you all watched how Rafa behaves on the court? It may not be at the level of Djokovic, but he fist pumps, kicks his leg up, and screams "vamos" after winning points (even on opponents' unforced errors) all the time. It's also not the US Open crowd. He's not really loved anywhere but Serbia and China.
The problem is that Djoker has no real charisma, either on or off the court. He is bland. Really, what reason does he give anyone to like him if they are not Serbian? He seems like an ok guy and to be fair to him, I know he takes a lot of time for fans, but his problem is that he doesn't have any personality or charm.
- Djoker's on-court antics were pretty much the same as always. But maybe I missed something that he did.
- I don't think you did, R571. It was just his usual screaming after he won.
- I find Novak pretty charming. He certainly has a more pleasant personality than Murray who's as exciting as bowl of cold oatmeal.
- I'll give you that, R573. Murray is excruciatingly boring in every way.
- How the hell did that Italian woman make it that far? Is womens tennis that far gone?
I can already tell Li Na is going to be choke-tastic.
- Serena's make-up is NOT BLENDED. And her eyebrow situation!
- Thank god she's not lip synching for her life!
- Will Li Na be able to win a single game?
They should just call it the Serena Williams Tennis Tour Featuring Venus.
- Serena's make-up is fine. Go Serena!
- It's so strange how someone like Serena (multiple grand slam winner) gets nervous. You wouldn't think she would. Champions are human too.
- Go Li Na!
- Serena is playing incredible tennis!
- I think Serena's coach is cute.
- Come on Serena...finish Li off!
- Is Carlos coaching Li from the stands (like he used to do with Justine)?
- Serena really schooled Li Na....wow!!!
- Ugh :-(
- Our only hope is that Azarenka's mindlessly brutal game will be enough to defeat an unbearable Serena Williams.
- I'm 'on the late show' with this, but I just watched the Murray/Wawrinka match today (which was much much better than any of the women's semis).
At least Valverdu looked very cute in his long-sleeved, heathered blue T-shirt and white shorts.
Early on in the match Darren Cahill was talking about Murray's relationship with Valverdu and he said they are definitely more than just good friends.
He was talking about how Dani is a hitting partner and assistant coach for Andy, but of course the comment can be seen as a wink and a nod to the many of us who have long suspected what else is going on there.
it's always better in motion.
- When Grand Slam womens semifinals aren't going to three sets, something is wrong.
- r589 - I remember Cahill stumbling around about Dani, but it was more like he was promoting him as a legit asset to Team Murray's coaching staff, and not just a good friend who's paid to travel with Andy. I didn't catch any winking or nudging about them being "good friends" but admittedly, I wasn't exactly enthralled by the match or the commentary. Of the American commentary team, I could see JMac, BG or Fowler going there before Cahill.
Anyway, it's not unusual for players to travel with hitting partners/buddies, so while it could be a cover, it's not that remarkable.
- Go Serena! Girlfriend has her game on point and her sexy French coach/boyfriend cheering her on. Living the Dream!
- You know people are going to start asking questions about the level of competitiveness in women's tennis considering some of these scores in the quarters and semis, particularly Serena's scores ( which I think is sexist). But the truth in Serena is just that good. Sloane, Suarez-Navarro, and Li Na are incredible players.
- Did anyone spot that hot, handsome, blond, fit guy sitting with Sloane's mom and aunt during her match w/ Serena? Is he her hitting partner, trainer or coach? Does anyone know if Sloane and Jack Sock are more than mixed doubles partners?
- And as I said earlier in this post, Serena has stopped racing to shake the ref's hand first. Notice how she invited Li Na to shake first? Mary Carillo almost queefed on air.
- It's odd because I know that's some kind of superstition of hers. I guess she got over it and doesn't need it anymore. I wonder if Rafa could ever do the same?
- When Serena is on, she's very hard to beat (and better than the other girls.) I wish she had more time to rest before her semi final doubles match.
Btw, even Martina N., Steffi and Chris Everett talk about how great & superior Serena is (they would truly know.) They are now her peers...not Venus, Kim, Justine, Davenport, Jennifer, Maria, etc.
That hot blond guy is her hitting partner I think.
- So what was Jelena Ristic, Djoker's long term GF, doing at Murray's match? She was sitting with Richard Branson. Was she scouting his potential next opponent, or is she just a climber and wanted to chat up Branson? So odd.
And is Kim Sears pregnant, or is that just a really unflattering blue top?
- I don't get the earlier posters saying the ny crowd doesn't like Novak. They love him, they were simply hoping for a more competitive match.