- Yeah, that song made me want to kill myself. Mission accomplished.
- The song is growing on me.
The vocals started off nice, but she couldn't keep up once the movement started. On the whole I'd have to say it underwhelmed.
- The audience liked it. Drake looked impressed, and some other guy was obviously impressed. I liked how she harkened back to different looks of hers from the past.
- People still watch these?
Say what you want to about them, but performers like Janet & Madonna always made a true fun spectacle of it and always delivered.
the excitement just isn't there anymore.
- The some other guy was Macklemore.
- It's unfortunate that she tries to dance. The performance was pretty boring.
- I think Drake was impressed with her retooled chassis. The song is a bore. As is this shit program.
- I agree, R4. Back then, I couldn't wait to sit down and watch the VMAs. Today's VMAs don't have the same spark.
- Yes, everything old was always better.
- This is certainly not the MTV awards that I loved growing up watching.
- Miley should be embarrassed.
- Breaking Bad is on and you are watching the VMAs?
- Whore say what?
- Was Rihanna giving Miley the side-eye just now?
Oh SNAP, Robin Thicke just joined her onstage. That ASS in those stripes! I would so eat it!
- Is Drake the arbiter of good taste tonight? They cut to him every time there is a live performance. He wasn't even looking at Miley. Embarassed for her? I am. Please clean your tongue if you plan to show it to us every chance you get. Ewww. Robin Thicke looks like a child molester next Cyrus.
- Is it just me, or is Lil Kim looking a little...Nicki Minaj-esque?
- I think she's going for Janet Jackson, r16. As if.
- Robin is not unattractive, but his stomach was hanging over those pants.
And I don't know what's more fucked up at present: Miley's mental state or Lil Kim's face.
- Who is that Australian chick talking like she is from 'da Hood?
- More like from Da Hungah, r19. Is that Mia Wasikowska?
- Shirley Halperin, Music Editor for the Hollywood Reporter, doesn't have her mind on the music.
- Lena Dunham won a VMA with Macklemore?
- Best Music Video with a Social Message?
Did they make that up just to give an award to "Same Love"?
Lady Gaga so chummy with Will Smith is blowing my mind.
- Miley won over Rhi Rhi? Shocking.
- Whoops, I meant Taylor won over Ri Ri. They are pretty interchangeable.
- I see Crazy Cat Lady in Taylor Swift's future. She isn't a teeny bopper anymore. She needs to have some sex so she can write about something other than boys only want to "do that". Ewww. Harry Whatshisname thought she was talking about him but it was probably Mayer she was singing about. She's surrounded by "the enemy" tonight. Kanye, Harry, Katy Perry (who's fucking John Mayer for realz) and Beyonce. You know Beyonce agreed with Kanye about the video award.
- At least Justin Timberlake is actually trying to be entertaining.
- I know I'm old because 90% of this music is horrid.
I like Timberlake so much better as a singer than actor.
- Justin Timberlake concert?
- This performance is going on way tooooo long.
- That's fine with me considering what came before, r30.
- Fuckimg enough already JT
- Still going???
- Robin Thicke must feel like shit right about now.
- Okay, Fallon is embarassing himself. Are they a couple?
- What next ? Will Jimmy Fallon suck JT off?? Get the fuck off the stage.
- [quote]Robin Thicke must feel like shit right about now.
Why? He has talent. He doesn't feel the need to copy Michael Jackson.
- The N'SYNC reunion was pretty damn short.
- NSYNC was underwhelming.
- They all steal from Shuggie Otis.
- A decade ago, this thread would have been up to page 20 at this point.
- Taylor Swift: "Shut the fuck up."
- Wow Chilli and TBoz!
- You can see Taylor's shut the fuck up a little better here. Her friend is like girl don't do this here.
- Chilli simply doesn't age.
Oh, and Drake could GET IT, with his fine butterscotch self.
- Some impressions:
Justin Timberlake is better than 90% of the acts in this arena. And he is gay.
Jimmy Fallon has lost a lot of weight. And he is gay.
- UPSET!! Bruno won Best Male Video.
- Did you notice how fucking wide GaGa's hips are? I thought it was funhouse mirror time.
- This music sucks!
- I always hate his lyrics, but I'm pretty sure Bruno Mars sounds better live than any other pop act at present.
- Best performance of the night...
Easily Bruno Mars.
I'm not even familiar with his music, but that is how a performance is done. Live vocals, explosions, lasers, etc...
This Katy Perry performance now is cringe inducing.
- Macklemore reminds me of Eminem. They both use that fake ghetto voice, what's with Macklemore's pronunciation though? He's got Gay Voice. Most one of his S's come out like Tsss.
Why do all the black hip hop type guys wear their street clothes to these events? They might as well be going to play basketball. And they slouch in their seats and glower, I guess they have to look real and whatever but give it up. Aren't they happy they killed pop radio?
- What was the deal with all these women (GaGa, Miley, Perry) wearing such unflattering costumes to perform in?
- Damn, Miley shut it down tonight. Gurl!!
- Adam Lambert was definitely the best looking man at the VMAs tonight.
Also the best dressed. (I just don't get why so many guys in music today
look like slobs. Ed Sheeran, I'm thinking of you.)
- R55 what the fuck were YOU watching? Miley made an unspeakable, desperate fool of herself tonight. Embarrassing... even Thicke looked like he was wishing she would just get the hell off of him.
- Robin Thicke looked kinda thick...
- I can't believe anyone would find Justin Timberlake more entertaining than Robin Thicke on any level of reality. Marys please! JT is one of the most overrated fucks the world has ever seen.
- Pharrell had a WTF look when Austin Malone got the best newcomer award. Guess he's the new Beiber.
- Yeah Timberlake's performance went on way too long. I played Candy Crush on my Ipad through most of it.
- Love the Smith Family reaction to Miley's whore act.
- Who decides who wins these things?
- R62, explain to us ninnies what "twerking" means in those twitters.
- Why is Drake so popular? Chris Brown may be an utter shit but he's really talented. And did you notice that Rhianna looked like she smelled a fart when he was on stage? No love there. I really love Timberlakes's dancers. Not the typical Hip Hop bullshit but real Broadway caliber talent. The back up dancers and singers are the best part of his act, really. Taylor Swift was trying way to hard to look like a girl with not a care in the world. Bitch, you know you were getting dissed left and right backstage! Still, I like her and think she's also one of the few people on this show tonight who have any real talent. I also hate Macklemore's phake Wigger act. Makes it hard to listen to him and I think the song has merit.
- Hated Robin Thicke's outfit. No class.
- I don't get the Macklemore love.
I don't care if the guy's uncle or whatever is gay. I could respect him a lot more if he were honest about his own sexuality.
- R66 haha I clicked on your link and for a second I thought that was Simon Cowell!
- Ed Sheeran. Do the teen girls really like guys like this?
He's certainly not threatening, looks like he'd just go off and wank himself, rather than put his hands up a girl's skirt.
- Yeah, he's an unfortunate ginger in the looks department but he has a lovely voice, r69. And he and Taylor sound fantastic together.
- I never thought much of Bruno Mars but he sounded great live.
- R65, I feel part of it is that Drake is pretty nice guy. I am actually impressed with his singing and hope he moves more in that direction than stick with the rap. Chris Brown is talented, but his asshole personality is doing him no favors with fans and the press.
As for tonight's show, oh boy, Miley has to be locked away for a long, long time. She is shameless. Bruno Mars is really the next Justin. Speaking of which, he was good tonight, but what's with him and Jessica Biel? There was no sighting or mention of her on pretty big night for him. There never seems to be any connection with those two. None of his songs seem to be about her. Either way, she was smart hitching her wagon to him.
- Well, Justin did keep his set at a brisk 17 hours.
- Miley Cyrus makes Jenna Jameson look like Dame Judy Dench.
- Katy Perry had a lot of vocal help, my 9 year old loves her though
- "...he and Taylor sound fantastic together."
I assume you mean Taylor Swift. Since she is not known to be any kind of a singer, are you saying Sheeran compensates for her shortcomings?
(I'm not being bitchy here. I just don't listen to country.)
- Who was the male dancer in Katy's performance with the tight sweatpants?
His ass was AMAZING!
- I saw Katy twice during her concert tourin 2011. She had some hot ass dancers then.
- It's nice to know that my Brooklyn was gentrified just enough to give the illusion of "urban," so MTV could make the little kids feel "edgy" for being in Brooklyn.
- Fatone is no longer the fat one.
- Lil Bieber should start taking Singing Dancing and Acting lessons soon.
Bruno Mars just bitched slapped him back to Canada.
- Katy looked good.
- Grown men are not only watching this dreck but writing about it as well? It's an awards show for commercials. And the commercials are advertisements for awful, banal music.
I last watched this show in probably 1993, and mainstream music is about 20 times worse now than it was back then.
- I love the song Blurred Lines and I'm pissed that Miley ruined it.
The song was cut to maybe one minute and we had Miley and Robin instead of Robin,T.I, and Pharrell.
Major fuck up MTV
- For the VMAs, it's as much about fashion as it is music.
Adam Lambert's suit was custom Lanvin, with great detailing. Best of the night for the men. Selena Gomez was probably the best of the women.
- Frankly, I think the legend award should have gone to the incomparable
Nile Rogers, who has worked with everyone from Madonna and Bowie on to Daft Punk, and has a trail of songs from "We Are Family" to "Get Lucky".
With his cancer in remission, he is working non-stop creating new music as well as performing with Chic. "Good Times!"
- Gaga did really good! The song isn't a "Mega" hit but it's on it's way to becoming one of Gaga's novelty hits. She's in her own lane. Also! Rihanna's facial expressions throughout the night!! Funny & Diva as hell!
- Selena Gomez? Please! She really is! That wack ass navy bedazzled "Prince" backup singer/dancer looking dress was ugly. What's with the power suit jack with your right tit hanging out?
- Downtown Brooklyn is about to be invaded by hoardes of Millennial MTVers who live in other parts of the country but who will now think it's cool to move here and live in the "bad" part of town. Gawd help us and show them the way to Williamsburg.
- I think some people in here clearly need a nice hot cup of delicious Sanka decaffeinated coffee to unwind with! Enjoy delicious Sanka decaffeinated coffee and all of your angers will melt away!
- Oh, Rhianna definetly was holding Court. She didn't look impressed with Miley. At all.
Oh dear, dear, dear...
- Often I take the celebrity slams that I read on DL with a grain of salt.
But tonight Paula Patton sure seemed lit up during the preshow. I don't know that I've ever seen her interviewed before. Now I'm feeling like the rumors about her could be accurate.
What rumors are you speaking of ?
- Miley, Selena and Demi. You must be joking...
- [quote]Did you notice how fucking wide GaGa's hips are?
Yes Kevin Hart, we noticed.
- r86, I wouldn't mention Get Lucky in the same breath as his major work.
That was an over-rated mess that had no groove. Rodgers did it no favours, either.
- Miley was on something - what makes you stick your tongue out and roll it around seemingly without control of it? Ruined "blurred lines" Why does MTV waste time on her? Not sure exactly who her fan base is.
Gaga was so freaking silly.
45 year olds look pretty pathetic doing synchronized dance moves!
Katy Perry had the most awful unflattering dress in the pre-show. WOW she looked fat and squat.
Macklemore is awesome
all in all a snooze-y non event.
- Best performance was JT and NSYNC, followed by Bruno Mars. I agree that JT has the best dancers, especially that sexy bald guy. And, did anybody notice that kid dancer from You Think You Can Dance?
Miley Cyrus was embarrassing. Like, we get it Miley, you're a ho that can't sing. And, she pretty much ruined Robin's performance.
Not impressed with Kanye West and his auto-tuning performance.
Austin Mahone is the new Justin Beiber.
Agree that Demi and Selena are nothing more but fake auto-tune performers.
One Direction looked like a bunch of drunken tattoo guys at a concert, and was Louise holding a mug of beer? I don't think it was tea.
- That one Katy Perry dancer was hot to death! A little scruffy, but can move. Just my type. Anyone know who he is?
I'm guessing Timberlake designed his own shirt that he wore at the end to accept Video of the Year, but it looked awful. Weirdly asymmetric white on top of black. It looked like a girl's top.
- "Miley was on something - what makes you stick your tongue out and roll it around seemingly without control of it?"
- Miley's tongue was probably trying to run away from her.
- How has it escaped the world's attention that JT is intensely fug?
- We need a grunge revival to sweep all this puke r'n'b into the gutter.
- Her momma must be so proud.
- Loved Thicke's outfit.
- Robin Thicke looked thick, he barely camouflaged his expanding waist and fat ass in that awful suit.
- Miley Cyrus was such a tease. Why didn't she just strip down to her bare essentials and blow Robin Thicke on stage. I mean c'mon what's with all the provocative sexuality with no happy ending ? She should have gone all the way and given Robin Thicke a happy ending. Look everybody was amused as it was, so she should have gone all the way or no way.
- Has Miley pretended to be a lesbian yet?
- "We need a grunge revival to sweep all this puke r'n'b into the gutter"
Yes grandma, we know-- it's the Devil's music.
- Queen of Pop.
Lady Gaga is the number one female artist on the planet.
- There not going to allow ant grunge music on the VMAs because like the other music(billboard,grammys,ect.) no rock is allowed anymore that's why they moved all the rock categories "off air".
- R109 I think she's flirted with RiRi who likes pussy.
R110 is a baby gay/proto-twink who's idea of music is tepid remakes of Marvin Gaye songs from thirty years ago!
Lastly, Gaga is the Queen of Flop darling. She's a bad Madonna ripoff and is so last year. I don't like Katy Perry at all either BUT at least she doesn't look like the old cunt Gaga has become.
- R93 That Paula Patton is bi-sexual leaning towards women. Robin Dick indulges in threesomes with her. Supposedly Paula loves going to the grotto at The Playboy Mansion and fucking the various playmates that hang out there.
- It's this year's annual Project Monarch pet show!
- Lady Gaga's performance wasn't very good but by the end of the night it look better and better compared to what came after.
Katy Perry is so boring and banal, I don't know how she is a star. Boring song, horrible performance, no stage presence. I don't know what she brings to the table.
- Lord have mercy. She needs to be locked up and never heard from or seen again.
- [quote]That one Katy Perry dancer was hot to death! A little scruffy, but can move. Just my type. Anyone know who he is?
All of her male dancers were super hot, the real stars of her performance IMO! Id love to find out who they are too.
- Lady Gaga's performance was
completely ignored. No one is talking about and it was suppose to be the highlight of the show. You know its bad for you when you are eclipsed by an atrocious performance from Billy Ray Cyrus daughter.
- Miley was the shit last night. Everybody was talking about it. I guess haters gonna hate.
- I totally agree, R120 - she was shit!
- Lady Gaga rules music. Best performance of the night.
- If it weren't for One Direction being booed, the whole show would have been a waste of time.
- The VMAs must now be a total frau magnet. GMA spent an entire segment drooling over Timberlake, Perry and Gaga
- Could Timberlake have given more than 20 seconds to the other members of NSYNC during his loooong set??
- I wish they would have zoomed in for a close-up on Lil Kim's face.
And I wish they hadn't zoomed in for that close-up of Timberlake's face when he won Video of the Year.
The audience didn't really seem too full of celebs. The camera's kept showing the same 8 people over and over.
- Gaga seemed...toned down?
Did we really need reaction shots from Will Smiths kids all the time? Where was Jada? Was there a lesbian bar near?
That Macklemore is kinda cute.
Justin Timberlake went on for far too long.
- The Daft Pumk dudes really didn't need to be there - if that was even really them.
I get that the headgear is their thing, and it's fine.
BUT... if you are appearing at an event it seems like there should be some way to know that the people behind the masks are who they say they are.
They didn't perform and of course they don't speak, so with helmets and clothing that completely obscures the wearer - they could be anybody.
At least Deadmau5 is a little more identifiable by his tattooed scrawny arms that you can always see cause he wears t-shirts.
The Daft Punk dudes really could have just been a couple of stage hands they dressed up for the night.
- We got your point already from the first sentence,R128.
- I bet that Ed Sheeran video NEVER played on MTV or MTV2. I mean it never played during the 2.5 hours that they actually play music videos on some weekday mornings.
The Sheeran song is straight up VH-1 and only VH-1. MTV doesn't showcase that kind of music at all anymore.
- [quote] Could Timberlake have given more than 20 seconds to the other members of NSYNC during his loooong set??
He gave them 20 seconds?
- R122 She looked like an old reclusive woman from Brooklyn who sits on her stoop all day!There was no sizzle in her performance,it was the height of snoozedom.
- Lady Gaga is the Meryl Streep of music. Britney, Tara Reid. Madonna, Mischa fucking Barton!
- whomp whomp whomp.....
- "To be perfectly honest, Miley Cyrus' performance on the MTVMAs tonight even made me uncomfortable." ~ Satan
- I don't understand Miley's performance. Was that supposed to be sexy? She has the body of a 12 year old girl.
- The worst part of Miley's performance was her dancing. What was with that "lift the left leg, stick out tongue, one arm in the air... now awkwardly lift right leg, stick out tongue, other arm in the air"...she looked like an idiot. Did you notice the black girls who were dancing with her at the beginning of the performance? Their expressions...they looked embarrassed to be doing the show.
- [quote]The worst part of Miley's performance was her dancing. What was with that "lift the left leg...
Bitch was just showing off.
Yes, we get it, you have a left leg.
- Her tongue is gonna be a big star!!
- I agree, Miley was trying way TOO hard...the constant toungue-sticking out was as embarrassing as her "naughty" moves. Jeez, Pink she's not.
- I haven't watched the VMA's since 2000. And after reading the reviews and reading about who all was there, I see I didn't miss anything.
Same usual people each year.
- If people are gonna judge Miley, they should also denounce Robin Thicke, who seemed just as sleazy, vulgar, and tawdry as Miley's performance.
- I can't believe more people are talking about how they fell out of their seats due to hysterically laughing at Miley Cyrus on stage. WTF WAS THAT??!!!
- I didn't hear the boos.
- Most people watch award shows just to see what the women are wearing, which is why they have to outdo each other year after year, in order to be the most outrageous. This morning, even people who know nothing about pop music are talking about Miley Cyrus's clothes (or lack thereof).
- [quote] This morning, even people who know nothing about pop music are talking about Miley Cyrus's clothes (or lack thereof).
They are talking about her tongue!
- Why was The Smith family there in the audience? I thought they were over? Shouldn't they be in hiding from the embarrassment of that box office flop earth movie?
- Is Gaga a trained dancer? She is a tad clumsy.
I will say, at least she keeps it interesting but I think the performance with the love make-up and costume changes were distracting and an ultimate fail.
- [quote]Say what you want to about them, but performers like Janet & Madonna always made a true fun spectacle of it and always delivered.
No she's not singing. But think how much time and effort went into this single performance? Costumes, sets, choreography?
Nothing like music video, and she never performed it this way again, and people still talk about it.
- Louis Tomlinson tweeted Gaga as thanks for leaving to go backstage and congratulating One Direction after they were booed while on stage. Of course it's the gay one that tweets her. Queen of Gays.
- [quote]Most people watch award shows just to see what the women are wearing, which is why they have to outdo each other year after year
Honey, this ain't 2001 anymore.
- r149, the ancient Madonna fangurl is loose again!
- Clearly I'm in the minority but I liked Miley's performance. She seemed to be having genuine fun up there compared to gaga and Perry trying to wow everyone with something "artistic."
Even if her whole schtick now is to seem she doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks, I buy it. People want to jump on everyone....so why not jump on the awfulness that was that last set on the boxing ring. WTF was that? Her lip sync wasn't even on point.
- Most people just rely on social media and news blurbs to tell us if anything interesting happened at these shows.
Today the blah-blah is all about Miley Cyrus. Next to no mention of the other performers. To shock is to win, and she won. If you define victory as getting talked about the most, the day after.
Poor Gaga. Live by the meat-dress, die by the meat-dress!
- Oh and Taylor swift? No words can describe how irritating
- I knew r149's link was Madonna's Marie Antionette "Vogue" performance before I even clicked the link. Say what you want about Madonna, but that bitch could put on a show when she was at her peak.
I was a kid back then, and the next day in school EVERYBODY was talking about that performance. The kids, the teachers, the cafeteria ladies, everyone. Pop stars today don't have whatever the hell it was Madonna had when she was on fire.
- I'm Queen of Pop.
- Back in 1990, Janet opened the VMAs with BLACK CAT. In 1993, she closed it with a medley of THAT'S THE WAY LOVE GOES and IF. She slayed both times. This was when pop stars were pop fucking STARS.
- r144, MTV lowered the boos,according to people in the venue they were really loud. watch the Lady Gaga reaction clip.
- Was she twerking or tweaking?
- I think the ass-licking of Justin Timberlake by MTV proves just how far down music has gone. Music is in a sad state.
- Is there a single pop act today who can actually sing without Autotune and other assorted software and is not a marketing creation thrown together by a committee? Where is the raw talent today? Are they just not being signed by the labels?
- For Robin Thicke to be a tall and generally slender guy, he's surely got some meaty thighs and a meaty ass.
- Taylor Swift telling one of the One Direction guys to "Shut the fuck up." Patty Princess she ain't.
- The suit r163 made him look very wide.
- R164, to be fair seemed like everyone was telling the One Direction guys to "Shut the fuck up."
- I'm definitely a trained dancer and also a genius.
I prefer this performance. Great mess. Rolling on the floor, humping her veil.
- Sorry meant this
- R168, it feels as if everyone is trying to copy that performance. I remember the director of that show talking about it and how it astounded everyone, the cameramen had no idea what to do, she (the director) just told them to follow her around the stage.
- Lady Gaga has a real set of pipes on her, but she buries it with production on most of her singles. She should offer more stripped down songs amd cut down on the dancinf for live shows. when it's just her and a piano she sounds great.
- It was not about MTV licking Timberland's ass. It is that Timberland represents today's music scene, which is about white people appropriating black culture.
Per today's New York Times:
Mr. Timberlake was on trend in way, though: this was a banner year for clumsy white appropriation of black culture – the shambolic, trickster-esque performance by Ms. Cyrus, to whom no one has apparently said “no” for the last six months or so, which included plenty of lewdness and a molestation of Robin Thicke; the ubiquity of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, the clumsy and intensely popular hip-hop duo, who were recipients of three awards, including best hip-hop video. They also performed “Same Love,” their gay rights anthem, with the singer Mary Lambert, though when Jennifer Hudson emerged to duet the last part of the song with Ms. Lambert, it felt like a sort of apologetic compensation for the night’s whitewash. (For good measure, Eminem announced the details of his new album in commercials sponsored by Beats By Dre.)
Hardly anything gets played on the radio unless it includes a collaboration with Jay Z, Pharrell,Wiz Khalifa, alone or in some combination.
- Boy George LOVED Gaga's peformance and Tweeted her about it.
- OOPS! I left out TI.
- God I just watched the video of Miley's performance and it was embarassing. She seriously seems mentally disturbed.
Drug addiction I am guess?
- I wish Taylor Swift would stop going out with a-list celebrity boys who only want to fuck her or who have egos as big as her own. She ought to date a nobody; one who would be grateful just to be with her.
- Gaga was praised by Cher, Boy George, Samuel L Jackson, Afrojack. Gaga is the Queen of Pop.
- i thought this take, very different from most opinions herein, was an interesting one.
- I think stuff like what r172 cites is complete bullshit. And I am not one of DL's resident white supremacists.
This is the most shiteous and meaningless of all the music award shows. I don't think white people winning a few of them means much in the cultural scheme of things.
- Miley looks like the pinhead from AHS.
- R177, please stop the propaganda.
- Miley killed. She won the night. She is all anyone is talking about. There is no such thing as bad publicity especially in POP. I thought Gaga was really good, but Miley upstaged her.
The VMAs are all about these kinds of cultural 'oh, no she did not' moments. Great article at R178.
Disclosure: I can't talk about the other performances, as I only watched these two.
- Maybe a grunge revival isn't that fat off.
- People are only upset because of Miley's past image. They should remember that the kids who were her fans then have also grown up and today's kids don't know who she is.
- An excellent article on why the music business has gone down the tubes.
I know, this represents "old man" thinking. But we can't all believe that
Austin Mahone is the next great thing and that Justin Bieber should win the lifetime achievement award next year.
- Please, it isn't that it was too sexual. It was an unimpressive manic performance that desperately sought to prove how "grown up" she was with nothing else to offer.
Please bitch, put down the meth pipe and put your tongue back in your mouth.
- Miley is an Illuminati puppet at the earliest stages of her death cycle, before her eventual (drug and waste-related) death and placement into "eternal" life as a mourned media icon. Her emergence - twerking with tongue hanging, symbolizing deranged, reptilian pleasure seeking - from a giant bear - the house of her former identity, the split personality of Hannah Montana, Disney's childhood idol - to debase herself ritualistically before her vacant, soulless audience as she waves madly on her voyage into degredation and debasement in the material world.
- I thought the biggest problem w Miley's performance was her lack of body sense. She looked so sadly awkward. Girl has not even one ounce of swag.
- The thing about Miley's performance? Yeah, it was bad. It was gross.. and I have to wonder if she went in knowing it was both those things because either way, she wins. Aside from Timberlake, she's the most talked about performance. She upstaged Gaga and that was supposed to be the one we were all talking about.
Another failure for Gaga. A win for Miley.
- [quote]Lady Gaga has a real set of pipes on her, but she buries it with production on most of her singles. She should offer more stripped down songs amd cut down on the dancinf for live shows. when it's just her and a piano she sounds great.
What an original idea!
- How the hell long will MTV keep referring to these awards as the VMA's?? Enough already. It's ridiculous.
- With regard to Gaga's performance were the boos PART of her act or were they in fact from the audience?
- Miley Cyrus’ BFF Calls Kelly Clarkson ‘Fat’ And ‘Bitter’ After She Slams Miley’s VMA Performance
As the world weighs in on Miley Cyrus‘ Video Music Awards performance — with most of the comments critical — Miley’s BFF Cheyne Thomas is sticking up for her in a big way, blasting Kelly Clarkson as ‘fat’ and ‘bitter’ after the American Idol alum pegged Miley as a ‘pitchy stripper’ on Twitter.
“Just saw a couple of performances from the VMAs last night,” Kelly tweeted Monday morning. “2 words…. #pitchystrippers.”
In just a few minutes, Cheyne was quick to snap back, responding to a fan who tweeted, “Kelly Clarkson called Miley a pitchy stripper. Do you think she’s mad because her past few singles flopped and wasn’t asked to perform?” Cheyne wrote, “and she’s fat and 30..”
Not content to leave it there, he continued, “the reasons Kelly Clarkson is bitter could really go on for day[sic]..”
But if Cheyne is planning on taking on all of Miley’s critics, he’ll be busy for a while. Thousands of viewers – some of them celebrities — took to Twitter after the performance to slam Miley’s twerk-tastic outing with Robin Thicke.
Judd Apatow tweeted a picture of a more innocent Miley on the front of her DVD So Undercover and captioned it, “I will always have this version of Miley. Let’s live in the past and heal.”
And E! Online sent out a tweet saying, “Raise your hand if you feel personally victimized by Miley Cyrus’ #VMAs performance.”
Country star Josh Gracin tweeted, “Thanks Miley Cyrus. Now I have to explain to my 11 yr old daughter why she no longer can follow your career.”
And DWTS alum Melissa Rycroft wrote, ”I think I’m too old to appreciate the (ahem) new Miley Cyrus….feeling slightly violated….#VMA.”
An image of Will Smith, wife Jada Pinkett Smith and kids Willow and Jaden watching the performance with jaws dropped went viral, although it’s since been speculated that the reactions were actually captured during Lady Gaga‘s performance.
Miley did win one person’s approval — she re-tweeted this message from rapper Trinidad Jame$: “Miley is turnt! My ni**a.”
Despite the shock and furor over her performance the singer did warn viewers ahead of time that her performance was going to be wild.
PHOTOS: Disney Star All Grown Up: Miley Cyrus Strikes A Provocative Pose
Speaking on the red carpet she praised Madonna and Britney Spears who once French kissed on stage during a joint set.
Miley said that the Like A Virgin star “passed the torch by passing the tongue.”
She went on to say, “We’ve got better in store for you guys. It’s going to be even crazier than the kiss.”
- R192, see the review from The Backlot. Yes, the boos during Gaga's number were part of the presentation, representing haters who try to pull her down. (Guess she reads DL.)
- 187=Sandra Bullock and Jamie Jones?
- R190 I didn't say it was original, it was just a response to another user bemoaning the lack of talent at the VMA's this year.
And anyway, what are you saying, that Adele invented singing a ballad accompanied by a piano?
- Wow, people are really getting in their feelings about about this Miley thing aren't they?
- Why is Miley being slammed but not the tasteless Robin Thicke?
After all, he was the one grinding into her behind. To me, he came off as a total sleaze.
It is kind of a replay of the Super Bowl halftime show where Janet Jackson
had her nipple slip. Janet lost the support of "middle America", but Justin Timberlake, part of the routine, suffered no consequences.
- LMAO r199!
- [quote]I'm definitely a trained dancer and also a genius.
by: Lady Gaga
To be honest, she just looks high.
- r199, I love how Rihanna sat there with her nose in the air the whole show like she is actually the one with real talent. Bye gurl, you aren't much better!
- R198, I agree with you. Robin Thicke was just pathetic. A grown man who happens to be married with a child grinding on this chick who is barely out of her teens. It was a total lack of respect for his wife. But what do you expect from a guy who steals another man's song and talks about how big his cock is? Sad state of modern music. I hardly listen to anything that was made after 1991.
- At least Rihanna makes sense. This Miley bitch is atrocious.
- Love this tweet by Bonnie McKee ("An American Girl"):
"Why is Beetlejuice humping that girl?"
- R198: it was gross watching Thicke grind on Miley. he is too old and should know better.
- A vid of Rihanna pulling a prank on the (tacky) girl sitting in front of her.
She does seem kind of over it all, but I don't blame her for knowing the night was going to be a mess.
- So agree R207.
- [quote]Taylor Swift telling one of the One Direction guys to "Shut the fuck up." Patty Princess she ain't.
Taylor Swift was of course aiming it at Harry Styles, because he bailed out of their orchestrated PR fauxmance much too early, costing her time and money.
At least Harry was gracious enough to keep his mouth shut and feign indifference. Though I really wish he had run right past her wrapped in a rainbow flag.
Taylor Swift's so Queen of the Beards I don't know how she dare bitch at anyone and keep a 'straight' face.
- [quote]Though I really wish he had run right past her wrapped in a rainbow flag.
That would have been awesome, I must say.
- I think Taylor is so emotionally stunted that she imagines all of her fauxmances are real
- Miley looks like her breath and ass would smell.
- R212, Taylor seems like one of those irritating people that can't let a grudge go and has to get the last word in all the time.
All it does is make her look more and more like a wasp sucking a lemon.
- Well anyway that's it for this year's sycophantic sideshow. What a celebration of 'world' music, eh?
Mostly boring, pedestrian, safe as houses pop and gimmicks that were tired before they got out of the dressing room. Miley Cyrus setting young women back about a million years as mere sex objects.
Macklemore was enjoyable. Rihanna's bitchface throughout was hilarious.
After all the Harry of One D/Taylor Swift stuff and nonsense, they were seen at the VMA afterparty in the same photo with Ed Sheeran, proving they're probably pretty 'okay' and it's all another dramatic 'twist' to get fans buzzing and tills ringing.
PR from start to finish. Remind me when MTV was last cool?
- About the Justin performance...uh, 15 minutes for mostly unmemorable songs? The Nsync reunion pretty much sucked. Could Lance ever dance or was he always so stiff and unnatural?
The whole show was a train wreck.
- Was that Timberlake's retirement party?
- I would have preferred if Nsync had more time to perform. They csn still harmonize.
Lance was always the laughably bad dancer while Chris could dance okay but he mostly phoned it in since Lance tried but was always worse.
JC looked great.
- Well I've got to say I enjoyed seeing Nsync back together. It was one of the few good moments imo.
- What was the point in giving Timberlake the vanguard award at the same time he was up for video of the year which he was blatantly gonna win. Made a mockery of it.
- The mockery is the plan to brainwash the masses and convince people that Justin is the new Michael Jackson. Only problem is Michael actually had talent.
- They shouldve had Janet come out and bitch slap Justin's ass, followed by her telling all these low talents hos that it was past their bedtime.
- NSYNC had no talent then, and they have no talent now.
- EVERYTHING IS FAKE and fed to us. We're no different than geese: what we're fed just depends on fate.
The country is pissed about a girl in her underwear yet they censor the word "molly"??? Kids can see axes smashing a head open like a fucking watermelon but the word "molly" is banned?
- I enjoyed Bruno Mars. He turned me on when he started grinding his hips. I think he's been taking twerk lessons.
- Does anyone remember what R158 is talking about?
So true, R204.
- R158, if there were an award for the most pathetic post on DL, it would be awarded to you.
You come here to comment on a 23 year old video performance? You are fucking crazy and a loser. Go away.
- Miley and all her schtick is reductive.
- Lady Gaga is the undisputed queen of music. LOL. Miley who?? Shitney who?? Madonna who?? Katy Perry who??
Lady Gaga has dethroned them all. She reigns supreme at the top. Cher loves the queen of pop. Lady Gaga is loved by everyone. She fucking rules pop music.
- Who's "Cher"?
- N Sync was on for too short of time, but I thought they still sounded good. I liked their style of music and I am way out of their age range, so sue me.
- [quote]I love how Rihanna sat there with her nose in the air the whole show like she is actually the one with real talent. Bye gurl, you aren't much better!
Rihanna needs to go sit down somewhere right along with all these other no-talents.
- Gaga's performance was underwhelming. And the close-up of her face at the very start of the broadcast should have been accompanied by a disclaimer: will induce nightmares. Yikes, that's a face for radio.
AND, for the record, the photo of the Smith family reacting in shock/horror was in reaction to Gaga's ridiculous performance.
REHAB is in Gaga's near future. She was drunk as a skunk in the audience boozing out of a sippy cup. Her mock indignation when One Direction was booed was just an excuse to get the hell out of there and endear herself to the insane Directioners fanbase.
- [quote]They shouldve had Janet come out and bitch slap Justin's ass, followed by her telling all these low talents hos that it was past their bedtime.
I wholeheartedly agree
the REAL JanBot
- [quote]haha I clicked on your link and for a second I thought that was Simon Cowell!
- Who does JanBot think the closest successor to Janet is currently? Ciara?
- Ciara looked damn good last night.
- Ciara still exists?
- Ciara is thin.
- I wish Ciara and Rihanna wouldve started bitch slapping each other in the VIP seating. Now THAT would've been a show!
- Didn't Beyonce wear this same dress or something similar? Ciara looks pretty, though.
- Lil Kim's strange appearance at the VMA is oddly appealing. She looks like a video game character.
- It's just so sad when talent is wasted on doing drugs. Lady Gaga beware!!!
- Miley's already out of the Yahoo trending top ten. Linda Ronstadt was number one for Sat and Sunday.
The public at large doesn't care. This is like the Madonna/Spears performance again. The media is hyping the "shock" beyond belief while the public briefly discussed it, yawned and moved on. The consensus is that it was a pathetic train wreck.
Her PR agents are simply working overtime.
- [quote]Taylor Swift telling one of the One Direction guys to "Shut the fuck up." Patty Princess she ain't.
My GAWD, Taylor Swift is certainly no angel with that foul mouth.
Lady GaGa just had hip surgery, and should be commended for giving a lovely performance. She is the Goddess of Pop.
Miley Cyrus was filthy with her stripper routine...that was trailer park low class. Even my grandmother nearly fainted, and commented, "What happened to Hanna Montana?"
Miley was horrendously an embarrassment to kids who might have watched her on MTV.
- [quote]Lady GaGa just had hip surgery, and should be commended for giving a lovely performance. She is the Goddess of Pop.
Lady Gaga is Queen of Pop.
- Why didn't Miley scrape her tongue before putting it on display. It had a thick white nasty film on it.
- The bar in pop music has hit an all-time low. The only thing left is if Cyrus, Perry, Rhianna etc. come out onstage buck-naked, spread their pussy lips and finger their clits for three minutes, while the slurping sounds of the finger-banging are Autotuned over a pre-recorded track. Then it'll be like "okay, that's it. Nothing more can be done. It's all over now folks, thanks." And that will be the end of this lowbrow era of music.
- "Miley's most recent track and possible future single, "Nutti Tastes Nutti Good", found buried on a mixtape from Buena Vista Entertainment last week, suggests a naughty new direction for the chalk-tongued twerker. "Nutti", featuring a hook sung by Pit Bull and Chezney Tesch (the R&B-crooning nephew of John Tesh), serves as Cyrus' declaration of her love of scat.
"Where do I begin/Got a shit-eating grin" goes the sing-song chorus, which is vaguely reminiscent of kids' classic, "It's A Small World". The droning, mechanistic treat also features a litany of digestive shout-outs: "Born for corn! Chunks of lard make it hard!" screeches Cyrus, as she celebrates a newfound feminist ideology with a mouthful of her self-produced, rebellious new snack."
- One good thing was Miley totally overshadowed Kunty Perry.
- [quote]Why didn't Miley scrape her tongue before putting it on display. It had a thick white nasty film on it.
OMG, that is gross.
- How the hell does one get a white tongue, especially someone as young as her? Is that a medical condition? Is it from poor oral hygiene?
- [quote]How the hell does one get a white tongue, especially someone as young as her? Is that a medical condition? Is it from poor oral hygiene?
dieting (going too long in between meals)
eating yeasty foods
- I knew that Miley had an eating disorder, not surprised.
- Talk about reductive, R246. You are so fucking annoying.
- Bruno Mars comes from Hawaii, why does he speak like a Southern black? "Y'all." "Wassup y'all." "Thanks y'all."
Why do mixed race people always gravitate to their black heritage? He's got a few things mixed in.
- When Whitney was queen of pop. So simple, so spectacular.
- Who on earth has Whitney's talent? NOBODY. Music talent died when Whitney died, that's why she was The Voice.
- There is something very phony about Whitney Houston in that clip. An eerily false mimickry of humanity. I'm not talking about the wig. Her talent is suffocating under layers of schmaltz.
- It's a bit staid though, r257, at the MOR Grammys and made Whitters look a good 20 years older. But yes, no doubting The Voice.
Here she is at the VMAs.
As cheesy as those early videos were, they were colourful and of the time at least. And she was the second black artist to get MTV play after you know who, she knocked the doors down and paved the way as Anita Baker said.
Let's not forget why Michael and Whitney were the first Black artists to get play on MTV... because they were not "black black." They had a white sound and were "non-threatening." Sad but true.
- Whitney could never dance. Her talent went into creating her vocal chords.
- Why didn't Cher and Lady Gaga perform The Greatest Thing together at the VMAs?
The press potential for their duet is phenomenal.
- You obviously gave that a lot of thought, r248. Waaay too much for this place.
- Very true r261.. some compromises had to be made. Clive Davis bleached Whitney out and made her pop, MJ ensured he had Van Halen on board with a pop/rock crossover.
Jackson never bettered Off the Wall with its blacker sound. Houston for me peaked on the debut.. the r&b of MLIYL seemed mechanical and forced but a great era.
- If Gaga dubbed in the boos she probably also dubbed in the cheering and clapping too.
Just watched the beginning with the close up of her face. Looked like she was lip syncing badly.
- "Lady GaGa just had hip surgery, and should be commended for giving a lovely performance."
She should also be commended for miraculously having no scars or sign of surgery on her bare legs. Gaga truly is a magical Goddess.
- "Who on earth has Whitney's talent? NOBODY."
- [quote]Does anyone remember what [R158] is talking about?
Yes. VMAs '90 Janet opened the show with a kickass rockin' Black Cat and Vadge closed the show with the memorable Renaissance Vogue.
In '93, Madonna opened the show with Bye Bye Baby and Janet closed with If.
Both artists and their material/performances couldn't have been more different but they really bookended what the MTV VMAs were/used to be all about. Excitement, stardom and spectacle.
- OMG! Does every black artist have to do rap in order to sound black enough. There's no pleasing you bitches with your endless obsession with race.
- So Gaga really was there? I must have missed her.
- [quote]She should also be commended for miraculously having no scars or sign of surgery on her bare legs. Gaga truly is a magical Goddess.
And we should all miraculously forget how right after her "surgery" she was able to go out and do Yoga!
- Robin Thicke's mom weighs in:
Ever wonder what the parents think of their child's onstage award show performance?
Well, "omg! Insider" got the chance to sit exclusively with Gloria Loring, Robin Thicke's mother, and caught her raw and shocked reaction to Miley dancing with her son.
She said, "I just keep thinking of her mother and father watching this. Oh, Lord, have mercy. … I was not expecting her to be putting her butt that close to my son. The problem is now I can never 'unsee' it."
While she can't take back what she witnessed, the "Blurred Lines" singer's mom did manage to mention her favorite — and least favorite — parts of the performance.
"Him? Loved it. I love that suit, the black and white suit. I don't understand what Miley Cyrus is trying to do. I just don't understand. I think she's misbegotten in this attempt of hers," Loring said. "And I think it was not beneficial."
Check out this video to see what would make Loring want to "unsee" her son's performance, and for more of the latest in entertainment news, tune in to "omg! Insider" on television tonight!
- Well then WTF was her reaction to her son's music video?!
- [quote]In '93, Madonna opened the show with Bye Bye Baby
That was cringeworthy and sticks out like a sore thumb amongst her other VMA performances.
Right in the middle of her backlash era and her becoming yesterday's news and a sad old slut and what does she do? Slut it up even more, of course. Luckily for her she got a second act with Ray of Light.
I saw an interview with Gloria where she defended her son's video. She said there was nothing wrong with it because the women were the ones with the power in the video. She said that they were being cat called and ignoring and saying no to the men... so yeah, it was a woman empowerment video!!!
- Just watched the VMA Red Carpet where Miley said that she had something better in store for audiences than the Britney/Madonna kiss.
Someone needs to give her a dictionary and teach her what the word "better" means.
- [quote]The VMAs must now be a total frau magnet. GMA spent an entire segment drooling over Timberlake, Perry and Gaga
Says someone who fucking watches GMA.
- [quote]The VMAs must now be a total frau magnet.
Take this for what it is worth, but when I was teen in the late 80s/early 90s my mother (in her mid thirties) loathed MTV.
Now I'm in my mid thirties and loathe MTV and my mother (60 in November) watches it all the time. Teen Moms, etc... She can't get enough of it.
- What could Liam Hemsworth possibly see in Miley Cyrus?
- Thicke looked like a sleazy porn director and Miley the underaged teen he picked up at the Greyhound Bus Depot. Ben Affleck must be relieved that people are talking about something other than BATMAN! Thicke also sang off key. Pharrell looks like a skinnier, smugger version of Nick Cannon and I get the urge to slap that silly smirk off his face every time I see him on my tv. Daft Punk looked like idiots sitting in the audience wearing those helmets. And why didn't GaGa change into another outfit after her big set? We get it. You work out more than Joe Manganiello but for the love of the noses around you, couldn't you have covered your sweaty ass with something more appropriate? Like a bologna sandwich? Trying way too hard should be the name of her new CD.
- Not the Greyhound Bus Depot r281!
- Maybe he has a thing for thirteen year old boys. Which is what she looks like with her clothes off.
- My reply at r283 is for r280.
- I didn't realize Bruno Mars was "mixed". I guess I should have known.
He seems like a contemporary Nat Cole, the safe, cuddly "colored boy" that white teen girls don't feel threatened by. His songs are safe and "cute-sy" too.
- r264 I typed that off the top of my head in half a minute.
And where is Bieber? He's been quiet for a little while now...rehab?
- Daft Punk could be anyone off the street with helmets stuck on. Preserving a mystique and trolling people is their schtick. I wish Karin Dreijer Andersson was there to show them how it's done.
Isn't Bruno Mars Filipino, Puerto Rican and Jewish?
- Miley wins. She shut it down last night and everybody is talking about her today. She did everything she needed to.
- Bruno is about 5 feet tall....
- Looking thru the thread, I don't think anyone has posted yet about the after parties, which are always interesting.
Here is a pictorial of the parties.
Plenty of interesting pictures (like Macklemore hugging up to Diddy).
- Why is Rhianna, who is trashy beyond words, held up as some sort of authority on moral behavior? I can't stand Miley, but I've seen Rhianna grinding up on Drake the same way. She just seems like a condescending bitch. I remember her laughing at Britney when she had that melt down performance. What goes around, comes around.
As for NSync, they really did have catchy songs. Their performance should have went on longer. JC looks great, if I remember correctly, he sang a lot of their songs. I'm surprised he didn't have more of a post NSync career. They can easily do a tour, even without Justin.
R288, he is.
- Gloria Loring fucked EVERYBODY--and God bless her for it! But she needs to chill with the fingerwagging and tut tutting. Miley is a revelatory artist.
- R285 Per Wiki, Burno Mars Father is half Puerto Rican and half Jewish and his mother Filipino with some Spanish.
Here's a link to his sisters. They all have that Latino look.
- So is Bruno Mars another one who is "appropriating" black culture (even if of the mildest, King Cole variety)?
- [quote]And where is Bieber? He's been quiet for a little while now...rehab?
Thank God we didn't have to hear him.
- Isn't saying Filipino with some Spanish redundant? Isn't that part of their blood/culture?
- R297 I believe so.
- Speaking of Taylor Swift, what a gutter mouth. I'm so disappointed with her...totally unladylike .
- Bruno Mars real name is Peter Hernandez. He changed his name because he was being pigeonholed as a latino singer and they wanted him to sing in Spanish. They wanted him to be like Enrique Iglesias and he wanted to go in another direction so he changed his name to his nickname, Bruno.
- At least Gaga wiped the floor with Perry performance wise. Applause rose a couple of spots on iTunes and should overtake the new Miley song, but I doubt it'll be enough to overtake Roar.
- Taylor Swift was never a lady.
- I didn't watch all of it but it didn't seem like there was much live music. Katie Perry certainly wasn't singing. I'd say Bruno Mars and Macklemore were live. I missed JT's performance so I can't say for sure.
But why would someone pay $100 to $300 to see a Katie Perry lip sync. I mean is looking at the hot dancer enough of a reason?
- Taylor looks very bitchy in that video. America's sweetheart my ass!
- Bruno Mars look black. But he not.
- A woman I work with holds up Swift as an example for her young daughters, or perhaps she is just relieved that her girls like Taylor, rather than one of the "wilder" young female stars. As she told me, she wants her girls to be "a virgin like Taylor".
- I've seen Katy in concert. She does not lip-sync that I could tell.
She does some audience requests with minimal accompaniment.
She is not "the great artist", but she is fun.
- Taylor was a virgin about 15 years ago.
- Looking at the party pictures link above, I see Pharrell with a woman, who is kind of plain-looking. Is Pharrell on the "down low"?
- I find Pharrell cute in a unique way. But I don't like that pic of him.
- [quote]I think the ass-licking of Justin Timberlake by MTV proves just how far down music has gone.
I agree. He's pure committee-manufactured drivel just like the Justin who came after him. Bruno Mars by far has more talent in his toenail than Timberskank has in his whole body (but gets half the hype).
Some writer today actually referred to Timberlake in his article as a "musical genius" (yes, I'm totally serious). Had to be the funniest shit I've read in 10 years.
- [quote]Miley wins. She shut it down last night and everybody is talking about her today.
Yeah, they're talking about what a fucking talentless whore she is. Some accomplishment.
- Taylor Swift was totally hanging on Justin Timberlake after his performance. Hooker.
- Bless you r311! I never got the Justin Timberlake love. Just another punk-ass pop singing white boy who wish he was born a black hip-hop artist. Remember, this is the same little bitch who cried for his mama when Ashton Kutcher was punking his ass several years ago. I can't stand Justin and anxiously await his downfall.
- Timberlake thanked his parents, manager, N Sync, etc. but no mention of his wife. And she wasn't there. So this is a fake marriage?
- r315 *roll eyes*
- [quote]I didn't realize Bruno Mars was "mixed". I guess I should have known. He seems like a contemporary Nat Cole, the safe, cuddly "colored boy" that white teen girls don't feel threatened by. His songs are safe and "cute-sy" too.
You clearly don't know anything about Bruno Mars' music, grandpa.
- well looks like gaga was upstaged by the little cunt miley cyrus, they were all talking about how slutty the little miley was last night.
- I can't believe what Kelly clarkson tweeted. That seemed so out of character for her to be so mean and bitchy to a mere child. That probably hurt Miley deeply. I'm disappointed, Kelly.
- I hate Jared Leto's stringy long hair.
- r317 clearly doesn't know anything about Nat Cole's, either.
- Bruno Mars killed it last night. It's sad that the good performances are overshadowed by shit.
- R317, Nat Cole was the first black (back then it was "colored") male singer to have a TV variety show.
Although he had began as a jazz artist, he made a career move to pop in the 1950s. His syrupy songs like "Too Young" were favorites of young white girls who felt "safe" with him.
He was later replaced by Johnny Mathis as the black singer white teen girls didn't find threatening.
- r323 Cole and Mathis were popular because they were exceptionally talented, not because white girls felt 'safe.' What an idiotic thing to say. Mars has talent as well. Perhaps it's the talent audiences respond to. All black male performers don't have to act like ghetto n----ers like Kanye and Chris Brown.
- r324, the 'safety' issue is true, but it came from the white music industry, not so much the teen audience who were the market.
I'm definitely not denying Cole's talents, but it was the major reason he was picked; he was very laid back personally, and had no whiff of sexuality around him.
Of course, it still wasn't enough for racist sponsors. One or two in the South got upset, and the network pulled his show.
Even my racist mother, who was a huge fan, couldn't understand why his show was cancelled.
- [quote]JC looked great.
Looking at him last night, I was wondering if he resents, after all these years, having to still play 1 of 4 second bananas to a giant greaseball with no more talent than he has but just with better managers, songwriters, producers, asskissers, etc. It's a shame really, especially considering that he (JC) sang lead on several of N'Sync's biggest hits and should've easily been a breakout star like JT after it fizzled out (plus so much hotter to look at, in my opinion).
- Looks like Miley's skanky performance stole Gaga and Katy's spotlight.
- [quote]Looking at him last night, I was wondering if he resents, after all these years, having to still play 1 of 4 second bananas to a giant greaseball with no more talent than he has but just with better managers, songwriters, producers, asskissers, etc.
Tell me about it.
- JC did look good in all those spotlights, and he was hot way back when, but these days he mostly looks like shit.
Moreover, he had his chance. As the hottest member, he was front & center in early Nsync appearances and apparently riding Lou perlman's dick behind the scenes. Justin bumped him aside, took his spot and ran with it.
Without getting into musical sense (I'm sure timberlake considers himself a musical genius), Justin has talent of a certain sort (charisma, physical expression) that's taken him astronomically high. you might not like what he does for whatever reason but he's been a phenomenal success.
Maybe after that long goodbye, Justin is ready to fade back behind the scenes and live out the remainder of his days smoking pot & riding Jay-z's cock. oh and "acting," lol.
- Some have asked about JT's wife, Jessica Biel. I guess you haven't looked at the after party pics link I posted in R291.
Jessica was there, doing her wifely duties.
- Info on Katy's dancer. Never seen a white dude with such a fat ass. Good Lord!
- [quote]And where is Bieber? He's been quiet for a little while now...rehab?
I think his manager put him in timeout.
- Queens, would you PLEASE find another icon to follow? Gaga has been over for some time now.
- If you're tired of constant PrimeTime, having to pay to post, threads getting deleted for no reason, and whimsical banning, click below.
Our WM isn't a stupid nazi cow, and we might one day have again what DL used to be.
- ++ Miley is a revelatory artist. ++
this made me giggle. um no she's not. I do want to know what she's on though. Looks like fun.
- As much as I ought to hate her, I just can't.
From what I've read, anyone who was a child star is completely fucked up, has probably been sexually abused at some point, and has asshats for parents.
A lot of them are probably conflicted over their sexuality, since they've been forced into the closet from young ages.
At least she's not out there running people over with her car, stealing, abusing staff, etc.
I think she'd be trashy fun.
- It came off as a second rate BET award show.
- Poor white people. Your world just keeps shrinking.
- Those Vampire Weekend dudes sure both seem gay - and I think Ezra is very fuckable.
Is Rostam Batmanglij really the only homo in the band?
- One difference between JT and Katy Perry is that Perry isn't afraid to hire dancers who are better than her. Never mind, of course, that she would have to.
- Vevo should make an awards show for music videos. MTV has nothing to do with the medium. Put the VMAs to rest already!
- The bearded Vampire Weekend - a whole display of purses fell out every time he opened his mouth.
- That Katy Perry song sucked, btw. At least GaGa's song was worth a listen. Perry's was more of a chant, really. Eye of the tiger? Please.
- Vampire Weekend went to the VMAs LMFAO, just proves they are a totally fake-indie shit band. I guess anyone hyped up by Pitchfork can't be that cool or credible a band.
- I think Taylor Swift's virginity is hanging on John Mayer's bed post.
- [quote]Vampire Weekend went to the VMAs LMFAO, just proves they are a totally fake-indie shit band. I guess anyone hyped up by Pitchfork can't be that cool or credible a band.
Oh, please. Another desk jockey weighs in on "cool."
- A good photo of the Katy Perry dancer's magnificent ass from the NY Times. WHO IS HE?
- No R328
Not even close to being the same. Donnie was hardly one of the lead singers of NKOTB.
- Who won the awards? Nobody seems to care about the VMAs alleged purpose.
I don't think it matters since they make up half of these categories after they figure out who they want to give an award to.
Best Summer Song? That has nothing to do with a video.
- Best Message Video or whatever it was called is the one that cracks me up. That's some Proctor & Gamble People's Choice bullshit. I guess that's MTV penance for showing Teen Mom 22 hours a day.
R329, I think what really helped Justin beyond NSync was Britney Spears. That reltationship gave him a reputation beyond the group that made the transition to solo artist much easier. JC, being closeted tried out beards like Eva Longoria but they didn't have the same oomph as Spears or m
- How long do you think John Mayer will wait before asking Miley for her number?
- What the hell is a "pitchy stripper"?.
- I thought Katy Perry's performance was boring. Gaga was better and I'm really starting to love the song.
- Miley has posed for provocative photos with her father in the past. The girl is indestructible.
There was something about her performance that was sort of Japanese-porn mixed with Japanese game show. The teddy bears/teddy hair thing was like a person trying to imitate Western entertainment and getting it wrong.
- Miley- was an embarrassing disaster.
Lady GaGa- It was good performance IMO.
Katy Perry- Did okay, her dancers saved it really.
JT- Went on for too long, I got bored with him.
NSync- Too short, but not bad. I would rather have seen the Back Street Boys reunited at the VMAs, at least they have aged well.
Bruno- Killed it, best performance of the night.
- Gaga did not have a good performance! Neither did Katy Perry.
- Nobody is taking about either of their performances because of me!
- [quote]Let's not forget why Michael and Whitney were the first Black artists to get play on MTV
Correction: Michael and PRINCE were the first Black artists to get play on MTV.
- Thank you for explaining it, R269. I don't know what's so difficult to understand about what I'd previously said.
- R226 is a complete and total hater. This one's for you, shithead...
- r348, I meant his brother Marky Mark
- The problem with Miley's performance is that it was sloppy and awkward. Outre antics work well on these shows if the person doing it has poise.
My gut reaction to watching Ms. Cyrus and her oddly large wagging tongue was "Yikes, there's a retarded girl flolloping about onstage and she is gonna get herself pregnant in the next 5 minutes."
- That girl is ugly as sin.
- Oh, fergawdssake. The "Whites appropriating Black music" argument goes back what, a hundred years?
So I suppose Leontyne Price and Kiri Te Kanawa "appropriated" White European music?
- r187 is 100% correct. It's the Disney-Illuminati innocent-corrupt-uncooperative-rehab-success trajectory, complete with tattoos. If the performers refuse to leave the "uncooperative" stage---i.e., if "rehab" fails---poof. No more success. Maybe even "death by misadventure," alone in a hotel room.
Rihanna is next to die young, or maybe Ke$ha, since the latter said she was MADE TO sing her song of the same name. The Illuminati don't like snitches.
- r198, JT was in absentia from the music world for YEARS after that Super Bowl.
- r367, that's because he bowed out like the little bitch he is to leave Ms. Jackson fighting for herself. More props to her because she got through it but that was a bitch move my Justina.
He's such a little bitch!
- [quote] Let's not forget why Michael and Whitney were the first Black artists to get play on MTV
What am I, chopper livah?
- I very clearly remember Donna Summer's 'She Works Hard For the Money' being in heavy rotation on MTV, and that was 1983. Donna or Michael Jackson was the first black artist to get airplay on MTV.
- Herbie Hancock's "Rockit" was played a lot in the very earliest months of MTV. But he wasn't really a "black performer" in terms of what the camera saw. The clip was more quirky/arty. Prince and MJ and Donna Summer were the first 3 artists that MTV played regularly.
- Prince's LITTLE RED CORVETTE was the first video by a black artist to get mega airplay on MTV after MJ had broken the barrier down.
- [quote]Those Vampire Weekend dudes sure both seem gay - and I think Ezra is very fuckable.
Yes the Vampire Weeks drummer (presuming he is the bearded one, as mentioned by r342) pings over the rainbow. He seems way gayer than the openly gay one and this has been picked up on a lot. He has a girlfriend though. *snicker*
- [quote]JT was in absentia from the music world for YEARS after that Super Bowl
Um, hello, what am I, chopped liver?
- [quote]Yes the Vampire Weeks drummer (presuming he is the bearded one, as mentioned by [R342]) pings over the rainbow. He seems way gayer than the openly gay one and this has been picked up on a lot. He has a girlfriend though. *snicker*
OMG, I was thinking the drummer was gay too!
- Don't forget about Lionel Ritchie, he received a lot of airplay for his early videos as well
- Supposedly this photo of Katy Perry's backup dancer is from his instagram page. wow!
- All right may as well just link to Katy Perry's back up dancer instagram page.
- On second viewing, nsync were fabulous! As much as they could be given the constraints of age & fitness & so on. They hit all the right notes of drama and winking parody. Anyone know who choreographed those amazing 120 or so seconds?
- I agree! Even though NSYNC was out of shape, I thought they were the highlight of the show...but only for a second.
Very hot, r377!
- This is beyond!
- "They're not grateful anymore...It used to be a very unique and blessed experience to be able to experience theater and to go to see it and only the most highest-class people in Shakespearean times would be let into the theater and everyone else would have to watch it in the square. Nobody feels that way anymore. It's so easily accessible on the Internet it's treated like McDonald's, it's treated like trash...I'm not a French fry, I'm foie gras."
Lady Gaga on the plebes in a recent interview. I think she's taking that Lady title a bit too seriously.
- [R377], thank you for the Instagram link! So his name is Lockhart Brownlie. Looking at his Twitter feed, it looks like he's from Australia, and it looks like HE'S GAY! OK, he's a backup dancer for Katy Perry, this is not a shock, but it's still nice to know!
I love this comment on his Instagram page: "I don't mean to be rude but I couldn't stop stating at your ass during the vmas. I wanted to throw quarters at my tv and hope they bounced off your ass and hittin me in the face."
- [quote]I'm not a French fry, I'm foie gras."
For that statement alone I'd like to smack the shit out of her.
- DL finds the ugliest guys hot.
- Vampire Weekend = 1 hit wonder.
- You're 2 1/2 years later, r374.
- R385 Everyone doesn't have the same taste and maybe you like more of the pretty boy type.
But if you're ref to the backup dancer there's no denying this guy has a phenomenal body and a whole lot of people outside of DL were the ones that went out of their way to track him down.
- Ugly? He's fucking HOT. And that ass could serve as a wall shelf in my apartment anytime.
I've met him a few times. We have a handful of mutual friends in common. He's got a rocking body and his face looks good in some angles but otherwise, it's just... okay.
- "Vampire Weekend = 1 hit wonder."
R386 Do you even know what that term means? VW has had no hit singles, and two huge hit albums. Their last two albums both debuted at #1 on the chart.
- Gaga BOMBED.
- After the show, Miley skipped the parties and went to recording studio to work with Kanye.
So I think the show will do for her what it needed to do: kill her Disney girl image and help her transition into an adult star with urban cred.
- Great after-party pic of Jared Leto and Adam Lambert, together at last, taken by celebrity photographer Terry Richardson.
- So what is the consensus, is Timberlake another plastic surgery disaster?
- Vampire Weekend are the same to indie as Miley and Robin Thicke are to R'n'B; a dilute down, lowbrow, chart friendly, readily accessible, cheap and hackneyed version of the real thing made for the mainstream pedestrian market, hence why they attended the VMAs and why they are also adored by music press like Pitchfork.
- I put music in a couple of categories; music I like to listen to and the ones that I don't. Pretentious twats like R396 just annoys me because the reason something is chart friendly, accessible and mainstream is because that's what the majority of music listeners find enjoyable. Most of the time it sounds good and is pleasant to the ear.
But somehow Mr. Highbrow music listener at R396 thinks he's above everyone else when he puts on his unlistenable piece of crap music that 10 people in the world probably wants to hear and then pronounces it genius. Why don't you just enlighten us R396 on what music meets your 'high standards'
- r397, the point is in general the bar is lowered every year in terms of music quality, Look at the VMAs it should be called the VCAs, because it's not music - it's "content" now, people don't listen to music, it's not important to them, it's not the soundtrack to their lives anymore; now it's just background music to be streamed while riding the tube.
Labels don't invest in artists, they sell the lowest common denominator to be sure of a profit, that's what you're listen to, it's not music the sound of them scrapping the bottom of the barrel.
- Robin Thicke is actually pretty good. His stage antics with Cyrus were embarrassing, especially for a man his age, but his music is not bad at all.
- Great point, R398!
- So Adam Lambert still gets invites, huh? He's looking pretty gender-straightforward these days.
- Despite all the hate he seems to engender here on DL, Adam Is well respected by the industry. So, of course, he is invited to events like the VMAs. (The producer of the VMAs is the same guy who produced the last VH1 Divas show, which Adam hosted).
Since cutting the chords from RCA, Adam has a lot of good stuff going on. See the tweet from Avicii (Tim Bergling). Rolling Stone's new "Playlist"
is topped by the song Adam co-wrote with Avicii and Nile Rogers and
which he does the vocal on.
Adam will also be a headliner at the big iHeart Music Festival in September, in the first US appearance of "Queen + Adam Lambert".
- *NSYNC 'Upset' With Justin Timberlake For Scaling Back Songs In VMAs Reunion:
- One thing's for sure, no matter how shit or embarrassing, this was the most talked about VMAs in a good 10 years so Viacom will be very pleased.
And a new "star" was born to anyone over 30 who didn't know her sugarpop. Miley went in saying she would top Britney/Madonna and she pretty much did. And the Madge kiss was even more desperate and sad, truth be told. Least Miles is age appropriate for this shit and wasn't shitting on a long illustrious legacy.
Poor Chris Kirkpatrick’s Hole Didn’t Work
- Trust me, they all worked.
- Why was the Miley Cyrus is Grotesque thread deleted? This place is weird. Threads get deleted for the silliest of reasons yet racist, misogynist and numerous threads about Cavill and Cooper and Affleck is Batman! live on for months. Access Hollywood can't show any more of the clips of her performance at the VMA's, citing that it is now considered "obscene", but we can't talk about her here? What a crock of shit.
- R407, posters were getting personal. So, I had to tell the editor about it.
- I'm not surprised NSYNC were upset at having such a short slot. Hardly any of their hits were covered, #1s were left out.
Of the 3 that were used "Gone" is basically a proto-Justin solo song with none of the other guys visible (it's the one NSYNC song he does in concert), "Girlfriend" is another from their least successful credible r&b era. Bye Bye Baby was the one pop hit they couldn't ignore.
Although NSYNC's music was very unmemorable compared to Backstreet Boys they could have had at least a couple more like "Pop" and "Tearin Up My Heart".
- Poor Gaga. Comeback slayed.
- Like, totally..r410.
- Lady Gaga must really hate Miley Circus by now.
- Lady Gaga fucking ruled the VMAs. Queen of Pop.
- I laughed when Joan Rivers made a joke about how Gaga first appears on screen at the beginning - with her face poking through that white square.
She said she could tell if that was Lady Gaga or George Michael at a gloryhole.
- Where the hell was Madonna? LOL. Skank is a has-been. No one under 60 knows who she is! Did she go to Vegas or something?
- r414 They all said they loved Gaga's performance. Yup, she's the Meryl Streep of music.
- Any suggestions for where I can watch the videos online in Europe? MTV.com's vids don't play here, VEVO doesn't exist and so on.
- Yawn @ R415
- R415 stop trolling Gaga stan
- R415 Maybe she was home counting her billion fucking dollars. 'Cause she can do that.
- Yeah yeah no one knows who Madonna is.. so shut up already and stop bringing her up.
- LOL. No she can't, r421. Madonna isn't a billionaire. She wasn't at the VMAs because she's a has-been. Madonna is past her sell by date.
Did she find a good school for her children in Vegas yet, or will they be home schooled?
- Whoever keeps saying that gaga slayed...is correct.
Just saw it for the first time. Brilliant. She totally hit the mark. Catchy tune. Thrilling performance. I admire her creativity and dedication.
- Too bad nobody remembers it.
- Shut up, r425.
- R423 Madonna hasn't released a video in over a year and has no new music coming out, so why would she be there?
For the record Madonna has won more MTV Awrds (20) than any artist in history
Go away Gaga stan!
- Is Gaga still tweeting and begging fans to buy her horrible new song multiple times?
What an embarassment!
- Madonna generally hates award shows, and usually doesn't even attend even when she's nominated
She did go to the Billboard awards this year, where she won 3 awards and the crowd went wild when she cane out on stage
Madonna was given a standing ovation for her entire 6 minute acceptance speech and all the celebrities in attendance were talking about how much they were dying to meet her
Why wasn't Gaga there? Oh that's right she's a has been and no one knows who she is anymore
And Gaga wasn't winning no Billboard awards, which are based purely on sales
- Haha, I see that Madonna & Gaga are the new Meryl & whoever that other old lady is.
- `She cane out on stage`. Madonna needs a walking cane now?
- R431 I meant to say came, but gaga was using a wheelchair and cane!
Due to her "hip injury"
Cough bad ticket sales cough
- LOL. She paid for those billboard awards. The album tanked. Or it was for the tour and all those questionable sell outs she had in the US?
And the talk the next day was now much of a fool she looked like in a leotard and those fingerless gloves.
- Lady Gag Gag needs to GO AWAY
- R433 you can't pay for Billboard awards you idiot
It's an awards show based on pure sales, maybe you can pay for Grammy's, which are voted on by an academy of peers
But not award shows based on sales