All Threads by Date
Daughter of the Sun's naked breast feeding photo sparks outrage -- account is banned by Instagram
This one hell of a mash up of Datalounge themes. Michfest-type woman, nude breastfeeding, frau outrage, and censorship. The picture must be seen to be beleived
Users 'outraged' after Instagram deletes account of naked breast-feeding yoga mom
Instagram has deleted the account of a mother who, last week, gained notoriety with the attachment parenting set thanks to a photo of her practicing yoga naked while her daughter Naia breastfed.
Amy Woodruff's account, Daughter of the Sun, was removed yesterday after the image, taken in a clothing-optional commune in Hawaii, caused controversy; with some calling it 'disgraceful'.
But Instagram users are outraged at the decision, and have created a petition asking the social media site to reinstate her account.
Iconic image: Amy Woodruff's Instagram account, Daughter of the Sun, was removed yesterday after this image, taken in a clothing-optional commune in Hawaii, caused controversy with some calling it 'disgraceful'
Under the hashtag Save Daughter of the Sun, hundreds of users have voiced their disappointment with Instagram.
'This beautiful, pure living inspirational mama has had her account removed by Instagram,' writes one Australian mother.
'A bunch of sad witch hunters have flagged her photos after Amy unwillingly gained their attention with a naked breastfeeding photo that unfortunately went viral after she posted it on her personal blog.
This photo was not even on instagram. . . [Instagram's] actions are incredibly disappointing and a global community is outraged! Bring her account back,' she adds.
Ms Woodruff was upside down and naked when a hungry Naia crawled over in 2011. Her partner, Justin, snapped the picture which was initially shared with friends and family on her personal blog, Daughter of the Sun.
'I was just doin’ my daily flow when the little sweet pea came to sneak a suckle. Papa had her out in the grass with him and she just couldn’t resist!' Ms Woodruff told parenting blog, Baby Center, last week.
'This happens all the time by the way,' she added. 'When a breast is out and baby is around, they are going to try and get it anyway they can! I have been blogging for years now and this photo was just a simple share of a beautiful captured moment.'
The image quickly spread via social media, and although many mothers labeled Ms Woodruff 'inspiring', there were more than a few who were disgruntled by the image.
'She is disgraceful and needs to cover up,' wrote one Huffington Post commenter. 'She has no self respect.'
But her supporters are calling the removal of Ms Woodruff's Instagram 'unjust'. 'Instagram has deleted her account probably due to malicious flagging,' wrote Instagram user Ashley Abott. 'Spread the word! This family oozes love and just brings so much inspiration.'
A Nantucket, Masachusettes mother, Kaity, who runs the blog Fare Isle, also used the hastag to boycott Instagram's decision.
'Breastfeeding is natural - get over it!,' she wrote. 'And if you can breastfeed in that position you deserve a medal not to be banned! This is a blow to breastfeeding mums everywhere!
'I do not find this type of nudity offensive. A mother feeding and nurturing her child is never inappropriate,' she said.
Instagram told MailOnline that while pictures of breastfeeding mothers is allowed, pictures of naked children are not. 'Instagram has a clear set of community guidelines which make it clear what is and isn't allowed,' a spokesperson explained via email.
'While we cannot comment on individual accounts, we followed our usual protocol on this occasion and took action on content that broke our community guidelines.
'We encourage people who come across content that makes them uncomfortable to report it to us using the built-in reporting tools next to every photo or video on Instagram.'
Since the photo was taken in 2011, Ms Woodruff has been busy weaning Naia after three years of breastfeeding, and 'embracing her inner flame,' she told Baby Center.
- Maybe if the daughter wasn't 8 years old.
- Maybe if it didn't look like a weird bondage scene.
- The article says the issue was the naked child, not her nudity. Of course that point was completely missed by the outraged frau brigade.
- Americans have such an unnatural attitude towards nudity. Stop behaving like perverts when it comes to naked children and other peoples' pee pee parts, butts and boobs. It takes a pervert to see anything sexual in a naked child or breast feeding. Europeans are so much more mature in that respect.
- Exactly:you take a picture of your kids in the bathtub among rubber duckies or playing on the beach and next thing you know you`re being charged with child porn and have your kids taken away. Out of mind.
- Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be an American, I hate puritanical prudes.
There is absolutely nothing sexual about this photo, breast feeding is normal and we are all born naked.
- Tit or no tit there is no earthly defense for a person who would write the sentence, "I was just doin’ my daily flow when the little sweet pea came to sneak a suckle." Stone her.
- Well, that's the Instagram policy. I guess they don't want to be held responsible for pedos posting the pics somewhere as JO material.
- And the rest is drag,R6.
- R4 :YOU may not see anything sexual with photos of a naked child but believe there are tons of sickos who do. And they're all cruising sites like instagram and facebook for clueless people like this who think that it's ok to post naked photos of their children for the world to see. Sometimes you have to protect people from themselves. People always put America down for being too prude but why do you think that some of the sickest crap on the internet is from Europe?
- None of this explains why her husband is skeletal.
- He's skeletal because they are almost certainly raw food vegans.
- I read HER mother's all caps defense on the Baby Center. Her mother pays for almost everything, though this bitch denies it. Her mother said she did in the midst of defending this bitch.
Plus I think they are getting state money for welfare. How else do you think they fly everywhere and both have bs jobs?
- Do you have a link, R13?
- On the plus side she has a very good body (ugly as shit feet though) but yeah, they seem like unemployed hippies and he needs a good cheeseburger but, good grief, wean that child already. It's pretty bad when your kid is coming up and grabbing your tit whenever it gets hungry.
- Proof R10? "some of the sickest crap on the internet is from Europe" - are you really that dumb? Never heard of a proxy?
Any proof at all, just 1 peer reviewed study, anything that might make you look less of a moron.
- Ugh Breeders
- Imagine the response if the genders were reversed! What would people say if a young boy started sucking on his daddy's dangling penis in the same position!
- r13 nope I can't remember the link, it was a link of a link and led to the Baby Center, which I do not normally read, if ever.
Let me look at my history, hang on.
Ok FOUND IT!
Let me look for her mother's posts and will post them here too.
FOUND DENI WOODRUFF (her mother's) posts!!
DENI WOODRUFF says:
August 7, 2013 at 6:28 am
I THINK THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING PHOTO I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!! WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD SOMEONE THINK ITS OFFENSIVE…. CRAZY!!!
YEP,SHES MY DAUGHTER, AND SHE IS THE TRUE LIGHT!!!!
LOVE HER!!! THANKS FOR THE INTERVIEW BABY CENTER!!!
DENI WOODRUFF says:
August 7, 2013 at 6:49 am
AFTER READING THE COMMENTS POSTED HERE, I FIND IT OFFENSIVE THAT YOU WOULD ATTACK AMY’S PARENTAL SKILLS AND THE CARE SHE TAKES FOR NAIA…. SHE IS A WONDERFUL MOMA AND WE SUPPORT HER IN EVERY WAY!!! YES WE DO HELP, AS EVERY PARENT DOES WITH THEIR CHILDREN!!! AND HER PARTNER… WHOM WE LOVE VERY MUCH IS A GREAT PAPA, WE ARE VERY PROUD OF BOTH OF THEM!!
OBVIOUSLY YOU DONT HAVE CHILDREN, ANY MOMA WOULD TREASURE SEEING SOMEONE WITH SO MUCH LOVE AND SEEING HER SO CONNECTED TO WHO SHE IS.., SHE IS THE MOST CARING PERSON I HAVE EVER KNOWN, MAYBE YOU SHOULD MEET HER ON “YOUR” ISLAND SOMEDAY, SHE WOULD WELCOME YOU INTO HER HEART IN A MINUTE!!! ALOHA………….
DENI WOODRUFF says:
August 7, 2013 at 7:22 am
AND BY HELPING I MEAN BUYING CLOTHES OR SIMPLE THINGS FOR OUR GRANDDAUGHTER WHEN SHE NEEDS THEM AS EVERY GRANDMA LOVES TO DO. AMY AND HER PARTNER HAVE PROVIDED FOR THEIR FAMILY ON THEIR OWN AND THAT DOESNT INCLUDE HELP FROM THE STATE AS SOMEONE ABOVE SUGGESTED. HER PARTNER IS AN AMAZING WORKING MUSICIAN AND AMY SELLS HER ART AND GLOBAL GOODS FROM THEIR TRAVELS. YOU DONT NEED A TON OF MONEY WHEN YOU LIVE A SIMPLE LIFE.
- R18 has the human race gone through an evolutionary step I didnt know about overnight or something? I wasn't aware that the male if the human species nursed their young, much less through their penis.
What a fucking idiotic comparison.
- And for the record I am childfree and don't personally agree with nursing beyond the normal age, although if people want to make that choice it's their business.
It's still a stupid comparison.
- "her partner is an amazing working musician" = plays the bongos on street corners with a donation cup in front
"Amy sells her art and global goods from their travels" = menstrual art, hemp jewelry and baubles purchased from third-world street kids for pennies, now being sold at 1000% markup
- I know a certain festival in Michigan...
- Fuck all you guys.
Seriously? From a group of gays?
LIVE AND LET LIVE.
- R18 This is the stupidest post ever posted on data lounge.
I hope your proud.
- [quote]Proof,r10? "some of the sickest crap on the internet is from Europe" - are you really that dumb? Never heard of a proxy?
Not that I agree with r10 but you only have to go to chaturbate and check out the Germans to realize some of the sickest crap on the internet is from Europe. Germany anyway.
- Exactly, R2. I love you, R9. (And it's "you're" not "your," R25.)
- I don't get this weird obsession some crazy women have of showing off the fact that they breast feed. They really just want an excuse to show off their tits.
- R10 Bullshit. What's next? Cersoring all innocent child nudity from children's movies? Putting down all art that shows naked children, like the antique paintings and sculptures all over Europe, including in many churches? Forbidding people to be naked on the beach or let their children run around naked? Forbidding parents to take a bath or shower with their little kids?
You can't just censor everything just because there are some perverts out there who might get off on something completely innocent.
R26 Since you apparently frequent that side and look at sick stuff it's kind of hypocrite of you to talk about others being the sick ones. The USA has the biggest porn industry, yet is completely immature when it comes to nudity, no matter how innocent. In Germany at least people can get naked on the beach, including children, and people won't bat any eyelid over it because it's just naked bodies (a mostly pretty unappealing thing anyway), not a mass orgy. American prudes are such perverts for constantly thinking about sex involving children.
- I frequent that site occasionally. Big fucking deal. It doesn't make me a hypocrite at all. Many of the German broadcasters are into scat. Sorry, I think there's something not right with sitting in a bathtub and rubbing shit on yourself. You don't have to click on the link to see what's going on.
As I said, I don't agree with r10. I agree with you that the US is immature when it comes to nudity. My partner and I go to nude beaches. I happen to like to be naked and don't have hangups about it.
- in this case, i am with instagram, the photo is a shameless stunt, and it's not even arty!
- r24 is a fucking homophobe. Fuck off to ivillage with your patronizing attitude cunt!
- [quote] the image, taken in a clothing-optional commune in Hawaii,
That kid is going to get molested.
- I'm not clicking on any urls in this link, sweetcheeks!
- [quote]in this case, i am with instagram, the photo is a shameless stunt, and it's not even arty!
Did you bother to read the article? She didn't post the picture on Instagram. She posted it to her personal blog and some rabble-rousing fraus tracked her to Instagram where they made false claims about her Instagrams postings. This is what led to the account cancellation. The picture was never on Instagram. Got it?
- Of course. A baby will suck on anything you put in their mouths. When you hear news report about some sick bastard with childpornovaphy with infants what do you think they were doing.....fucking them???????
God something of you are so naive.
- Such a shame the rope wasn't around the dumb bitch's neck. And Skeletor's. These fuckin' freaks should be neutered.
- This isn't "casual nudity" this is staged, posed, photographed, and posted. LOOK AT ME!!!!! nudity.
Posted by an attention whore. Who's getting LOTS of attention.
- It's interesting that breastfeeding photos have been removed from some popular sites but I know of two separate cases when child porn was reported but the photos were left up. They claimed to have reviewed (which is not possible) the photos and found nothing wrong. One of the photos is still up today, while the other has been removed. Sickening.
- Wow, some angry and fucked up people are posting on this thread. Maybe your mothers should have breastfed some of you, longer.
- There's nothing wrong with breast feeding.
There IS something wrong with HEY LOOK EVERYBODY!! I'M BREASTFEEDING!!!!!
- [quote]'Breastfeeding is natural - get over it!,' she wrote.
So is shitting.
- [quote] 'Breastfeeding is natural - get over it!,' she wrote.
Yes..it IS natural. What ISN'T natural is the need to photograph and post pictures of yourself doing it.
- I'm not sure what kinds of folks are posting on this thread. One Million Mom frau types or gay men? It's so hard to tell.
- R43 Of course it is natural. It's called mother's pride and people have been taking pictures of it or painted the moment since centuries. Not everyone has such an uptight attitude towards breastfeeding.