- Interesting. I don't follow pro wrestling so I'm not familiar with this guy, but my impression is that WWE guys are always playing characters. And that they maintain those characters out of the arenas just like during their shows.
So I wonder if this conflicts with the role he plays. Is he a ladies man in the ring?
- That is big news for a still predominately homophobic "sport". Management will handle this well considering their top exec Triple H and his wife are big supporters of marriage equality. They also have their anti-bullying campaign.
Being a casual wrestling fan, I'm stunned by this news. I never once had one gay ping whatsoever from Young. Good for him; he didn't have to do this at all.
- OMG yes. This guy is FOINE!! So glad he's one of us. For those of you who don't follow wrestling or him, have a look, and yes he changes his appearance a lot:
- Is he in blackface?
- You and I obviously have very different taste R3. He's anything but fine. He can obviously kiss his career goodbye. He'll be coming to you soon in some gay pron soon.
- lemme guess R5 is another only-white-is-hot DL moron. Darren Young is a handsome guy with a great body. Of course he has crazy style-he's in the WWE. Go back to your "average white guys who DL thinks are hot" threads.
- [quote] He can obviously kiss his career goodbye.
And you seem to oddly delight in that. And I disagree, it might even help his career because the WWE will be bending over backwards to make sure it doesn't look like he's being discriminated against. It'll be interesting to see how the audience responds though.
- Good for him OP!!
Sadly, there are 2 mitigating factors here:
- It is no longer 1988-1998, so the NY-based media cares about pro-wrestling.
- He is black. In the white community, gay black men have it easier since it makes them less threatening. Call me when a John Cena or Rock-caliber white wrestler emerges.
- (R4) or very tanned white guy.
- should have read as :
so the NY-based media NO LONGER CARES.....
- Why do people bother to clarify that kind of thing though r11? I never do, it was obvious you'd what you'd left out, it wouldn't make sense otherwise.
- He's pretty damn sexy to me.
- His body is definitely smoking. His face is good too, though it's hard to tell since he's usually mugging, as is expected for a pro-wrestler. It'd be nice to see a pic of him just looking polished and debonaire.
- This dude is hot to death, a kick ass superstar wrestler, and smart as a whip! What a true role model. This is the year of the Bi/Gay Athlete.
- I think he is sexy and good for him.
- With his hair straightened he does look kinda like a white guy in blackface. But with his natural hair you can clearly see that he's a black guy. He looks much better in the latter form. And he's probably a snowqueen, so that's great for me.
- He looks like John Cena. Are they related?
- John Cena, the current WWE Champion and the most popular wrestler in the company, says he is proud of Young’s decision to come out.
“Darren is a great guy and that’s a very bold move for him. Congratulations to him for finally doing it,” Cena told TMZ. “Good for him.”
For Cena, Young’s announcement hits close to home. The wrestling icon has an older brother who is openly gay.
- I want him deep inside me.
- Is he in blackface?
- Already been asked upthread, R22.
- He looks to be a light-skinned black man who wore bronzer.
Anything's better than the disgustingly milky white skin of Shaymus.
- Who can dispute that this guy is attractive? Weirdo racists, I guess, but otherwise?
- The TMZ interview seems to have been set up in advance. They just happen to catch the WWE wrestler and ask him about gay wrestlers and he just happens to be gay and comes right out.
- He just may be the hottest masculine gay celebrity or public figure. I can't think of one who is hotter and totally masculine.
- Anyone else see his resemblance to John Cena?
- anyone remember Pat Patterson's Cream Team?
- Yes, R28, a John Cena in blackface.
- The comments at r20's link show that mouth breathers are not quite ready for the gay thing.
- Darren Young is gorgeous and much hotter than Cena.
- Nice to know Cena's cool though. I already knew he was a softy because I heard he's fulfilled more "Make A Wish" meetings with dying kids, than any other celebrity. He's a gentle giant.
He seems to have a prolapsed vajeen w/ angry clit under left armpit @ R8 's link!?!?
- Wikipedia: n an interview released on August 15, 2013, he publicly discussed being gay, making him the first wrestler ever to come out while still signed to a major promotion. Later that same day, WWE.com released a statement in support of Rosser for being open about his sexuality
- Look at him in this pic! Just wow!
- Separated at Birth?
- He's not the first pro wrestler to come out. I remember one a few years back, Kayne or Kanyon or something who was quite a big star in his own right who wound up committing suicide.
- He's the first wrestler to come out while under contract to a major wrestling organization. Kanyon (RIP) came out after he was released.
- He is a hot piece of mancandy.
- I thought the blackface people were being racist. Then I Googled him.
Reminds me of Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder.
Hot body though.
- R24 I find both the milky white of Seamus and the bronze of Darren hot... Mmm
Does anyone know what happened to Goldberg?
- Goldberg was hot as hell.
- He has very "white" features.
- [quote]Call me when a John Cena or Rock-caliber white wrestler emerges.
What a stupid, short-sighted response.
ANY sport, or "sport," figure who comes out is important.
- I am so glad when someone at this level comes out and it's not the typical white dude. Of course, gay people and gay media will ignore him and worship whatever white dude from WWE comes out next, kind of like how Jason Collins came out and then that white soccer dude did and guess which one is on the cover of out?
But anytime someone comes out and they're black, I like it.
- preach R48 Young is a stud and I'm glad he's so comfortable being out. He's much hotter than most of the wrestlers in the WWE. Fuck the white-only DL queens here. To the non-white-only DL members, thumbs up.
- R17, why on EARTH would you say he's probably a snow queen? Where would you get that idea from?
- Sorry to all the cool White gay dudes, but the next time you hear people call White gay dudes out for being racist, don't be so quick to get upset.
- [quote]The TMZ interview seems to have been set up in advance. They just happen to catch the WWE wrestler and ask him about gay wrestlers and he just happens to be gay and comes right out.
It is kind of weird how there is NO ONE else around and all the baggage carousels have long been turned off. How long were these two talking!? Damn.
- he looks kind fat.
- r52 The media knows that all the WWE Superstars are on their way to LA for Summerslam. There is more cover than usual from TMZ in regards to WWE this time of the year.
The guy probably thought that Young was going to give a chaotic response and boy was he wrong.
- He's hot as hell
- That's nice but I really want to know about THE ROCK!
- I would pay good real money to have goldberg use me like a cheap whore.
- awww... a pic with mom :)
- Hottest openly gay dude in the Nation. By far.
- A) There was an episode of WWE Insider where wrestlers were asked something like, what celebrity do you most get confused for or resemble. Titus O'Neal instantly said John Cena for Darren Young.
B) Goldberg will be at my city's Comic Con in November. I am sooooo there.
- OMG! Can't believe this is actually happening!!
- Former WWE wrestler Orlando Jordan is also a proud homoerectus.
- [quote] like how Jason Collins came out and then that white soccer dude did and guess which one is on the cover of out?
Robbie Rogers came out before Jason Collins.
- Jason Collins got the cover of Sports Illustrated. Jason also got far, far more coverage on every sports TV program. And that is without him having a job.
Rogers is at least actively competing in his sport.
- R37, that pic has it wrong. Cena is on the left and Young is on the right. But they do look similar.
- Why is 'separated' spelled wrong in the link at R37, or am I missing a joke?
- "gay media will ignore him and worship whatever white dude from WWE comes out next"
I represent that remark!
- Darren Young is a fine ass dude. And 100 percent masculine jock. Rock on, Bro!
- [quote] Darren Young is a fine ass dude. And 100 percent masculine jock. Rock on, Bro!
Have you seen his bathroom cabinet?
By Josh Dulaney, LA Daily News
Posted: 08/15/13, 7:14 PM PDT | Updated: 7 mins ago
After becoming the latest high-profile athlete to announce that he is gay, Darren Young, a professional wrestler with World Wrestling Entertainment, spoke briefly at an anti-bullying assembly Thursday at Samuel Gompers Middle School in South Los Angeles.
But instead of talking about his sexual orientation, Young, whose given name is Fredrick Douglas Rosser, spoke to a group of eighth-graders about overcoming a speech impediment early in life.
“People told me that I would not be a WWE superstar, and I didn’t take no for an answer,” Young said. “I improved my speech and I’m living the dream. So (all I can) tell you is, if you have any types of disabilities, don’t (sell) yourself short.”
Young said he is gay during a TMZ interview Wednesday at Los Angeles International Airport while answering a question about whether a homosexual wrestler could be successful in the WWE.
“Absolutely,” Young said in the interview. “Look at me, you know, I’m a WWE superstar, and to be honest with you, I’ll tell you right now, I’m gay. And I’m happy, very happy.”
He went on to say that a person’s sexual orientation shouldn’t matter.
Young is the latest well-known athlete to publicly announce he is gay.
In April, professional basketball player Jason Collins announced his sexual orientation in a Sports Illustrated article.
The Collins announcement immediately overshadowed the one by Brittney Griner — a former center at Baylor selected No. 1 overall in the 2013 WNBA draft by the Phoenix Mercury — who shortly before came out as a lesbian.
WWE released a statement shortly after the announcement where they expressed support for Young, who was signed by the promotion in 2009.
“WWE is proud of Darren Young for being open about his sexuality, and we will continue to support him as a WWE Superstar,” the statement read.
The statement also referenced the event at Samuel Gompers Middle School.
On Thursday, “in fact, Darren will be participating in one of our Be A STAR anti-bullying rallies in Los Angeles to teach children how to create positive environments for everyone regardless of age, race, religion or sexual orientation.”
Be a STAR (Show Tolerance And Respect) is a multiplatform, global anti-bullying initiative that was founded by The Creative Coalition and WWE in April 2011, according to the WWE’s website.
- A bump - because some fool started a new thread.
WWE superstar Darren Young was in the grip of a force more powerful than John Cena when he decided to come out of the closet ... and that force is love.
WWE sources tell TMZ ... Young told the wrestling org. he is "deeply in love" with his boyfriend of 2 years ... a man named Nick (pictured above with Young). We're told Young -- whose real name is Fred Rosser -- has been living with Nick for some time now in Florida.
Our WWE sources say Young told them Nick was actually the driving force in his decision to come out.
As you know ... Young dropped the bombshell on a TMZ photog at LAX earlier this week. Since then ... he's received a ton of support, from wrestling superstars including John Cena himself. He also got a call of support from fellow gay professional athlete Jason Collins.
- Nick looks very "off duty drag queen".
- He's being interviewed on the Today Show this morning.
And he does look like Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder.
- Stone Cold Steve Austin weighs in. He took the goddamn words straight the hell out of my motherfucking mouth.
- Matt Lauer, who interviewed Darren Young on The Today Show this morning, seems more comfortable around gay people than he was a few years ago. He still keeps using the word "homosexual", though.
- [quote]Former WWE wrestler Orlando Jordan is also a proud homoerectus.
He came out as bi either while he was with WWE or TNA.
- hot couple...I'd like to see a sex tape of them fucking.
- Young (also known as Black Cena) used to go out with one of the divas, I believe. He's a nice guy, talented young dude. Could be better on the mic but very well liked.
- Matt Lauer is a cunt.
- I think he was on the Today Show today.
- SHOCKING that Stone Cold Steve Austin, who comes across as such a redneck, is actually for same-sex marriage. I guess you really shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.
Now, on the other side, is Shawn Michaels. You know, the guy who bared his ass throughout the 90s, appeared in Playgirl and looked like a Chippendale reject. After years of drug addiction he found Jesus and now he's a bible-thumper who is very anti-gay. Go figure.
- There was a time back in the day where you just KNOW Shawn Michaels probably engaged in the homosex. He was so hot back then.
- the boyfriend Nick is not hot. Homophobic wrestling fans think this coming out is all an elaborate hoax. I hope they're not right.
- Now Dwayne Johnson can come out and all will be well in the world of hot black homosexual wrestlers.
- Darren/Fred with Matt Lauer on Today Show.
- [quote]Nice to know Cena's cool... I heard he's fulfilled more "Make A Wish" meetings with dying kids, than any other celebrity.
Fuck him. Just fuck him. This is exactly what I'd expect from that monkey-faced prole. He's making it that much harder for those of us who don't have time for such nonsense.
- R87 thanks for that link. He's well spoken and it's amazing to hear him say he had a stutter as a kid too. It's all gone and now he's a public figure who's always on camera. I hope his career goes far and his reach extends outside of wrestling too.
- Homophobic Shawn Michaels (who has really butched it up since the 90s when he looked like a Chippendale reject) to TMZ: "It's hip to be gay right now."
- He really does resemble Cena facially. It's almost like Cena in blackface.
- Damn - I never knew Shawn Michaels was such a prick.
- Why is he a prick? He didn't say anything demeaning about Young or gays in that video. Hell, he looked like he was heading off to the local leather/bear bar.
I remember back in the day when everything he did was pretty much homoerotic. I love this clip of him simulating giving a blowjob, down to the "tickling of the ballsack"...
- My Respect for John Cena has soared.
Just watched the entire TMZ interview, the TMZ commentator's comments (he's a wrestler too), and the interview with John Cena.
Wow. What a cool story.
- r93, if you were aware of Shawn Michaels' comments about gays and same-sex marriage over the years, you'd be able to read between the lines. Saying "it's hip to be gay right now" is not a gay-positive statement.
- I want to see what he looks like with his hair cut low. He is hot now despite his big hair.
- August 21, 2013
When Darren Young came out of the closet to TMZ last week, it raced through most of the national media publications. However, there is some thought among insiders that the WWE planned out the reveal. Former WWE star Justin Credible said on Aug. 21 that he heard it was carefully thought out.
Almost immediately after announcing to TMZ that he was gay, Young began touring with the Be a Star foundation, the WWE’s anti-bullying partners. He also picked up a big tag team win on “WWE Monday Night Raw” as the Prime Time Players are suddenly wrestling as faces.
With all this happening, the idea that Darren Young coming out of the closet being planned makes a lot of sense. One thing that Justin Credible said was that it seemed strange that TMZ would show up and ask a gay wrestler what he thought would happen to a gay wrestler in the WWE. The coincidence is just too great.
Credible said that it was too convenient and that the Darren Young coming out party was planned out by the WWE to push their first openly gay active wrestler. He pointed out the mainstream press that the WWE received right before “WWE SummerSlam,” and said that it was a strong move by Young, but couldn’t have been just a coincidence.
If the WWE planned the Darren Young coming out with TMZ, does it lessen its impact at all?
- To the question raised by the r97 post...
So long as DY is being honest in what he is saying, I'm fine with the possibility that the coming out was orchestrated as a PR move.
What I mean is, I wouldn't hold it against DY so long as he is telling his own truth. As for the WWE not being up front about exploiting it as a marketing opportunity - I would expect nothing less from them.
People hire Howard Bragman to do something similar and prepare statements for them to say in public, so it's not all that much different.
- r93: If upon hearing I was gay someone said to me "it's hip to be gay", I would be very offended. I worry that you don't see the problem with that statement.
- Darren seems like a great guy too. He responds to a lot of his fans on twitter and always re-tweets pics of him with fans that his fans posted. I hope his popularity continues to soar.
- Is he really high profile, though, like the Rock? If not, then it won't matter to the rank and file wresting fan.
WWE fans are white. I don't think the demo cares about a black guy coming out. Sorry. Not saying I agree with it, but it would mean more if a white superstar, or even the Rock came out.
- while more wwe fans are white, there are a LOT of black and mixed latino fans that you see in the crowds. The main group who doesn't seem to be into wrestling is asians. So I disagree R101 . Darren coming out is a big deal.
- He's not high profile like the Rock obviously, but there is only a handful of wrestlers that are. But the fact that he's still active in the roster and he wrestles in main event matches makes him coming out pretty big.
- As a wrestling fan, I was really kinda curious how the WWE audience would respond to Darren Young during the PPV on Sunday or RAW on Monday night. The PTP (his tag team) didn't really factor in SummerSlam, but a friend of mine who was at RAW on Monday said they got an incredible pop from the crowd - a lot louder than usual. Considering how macho the wrestling audience tends to be, I think it's cool that happened.
- Has he had a match since coming out?
- Darren Young (w/Titus O'Neal) vs. Antonio Cesaro (w/Zeb Colter and Jack Swagger). Cesaro popped Young in the mouth and went to work fast, but Young came right back and hit a northern lights suplex. Swagger distracted Young, but Titus pulled him off the apron. Young hit the gut buster for the win…[C]
Darren Young defeated Antonio Cesaro at 2:31.
- Does he have a big cock?
- He really does look like John Cena dipped in milk chocolate. Yum!
Top or bottom?
- Darren is a fine ass dude. Look at him!
- There are so many hot WWE guys and Darren is certainly 1 of them.
- Those pics comparing him to John Cena are uncanny. I imagine Cena must know that people think he looks like Young.
- He is winning
- So many people are coming out this year, and it all started with this guy! First Darren Young, then Lucas Cruikshank and of course Wentworth Miller.
- So, does he have a big cock?
Eh... Jason Collins, Robbie Rogers...
- More masculine role models
- [quote]More masculine role models
- last week he had nice applause from the crowd. The WWE is a very reactive organization. I think they just might try to elevate Darren Young to main event status in the near future. That would be awesome.
- I need a dude like this
- He's a beautiful person!
- And what are the dimensions of his penis whilst erect?
- Don't be vulgar, dude
"Don't be vulgar, dude"
Oh, heaven forfend!
- LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC) — Two weeks ago Darren Young made history by becoming the first WWE wrestler to publicly disclose that he is gay.
And although one may assume the atmosphere inside of a professional wrestling locker room would more closely resemble a Hollywood set, given the elaborate story lines and over the top in-ring performances, the environment can still parallel that of an NBA or NFL dressing area at times as many of the performers come from traditional athletic backgrounds.
Still, the reaction to Young’s announcement has been “very positive” according to his tag team partner, Titus O’Neil. In fact, it’s been pretty much a non-issue.
O’Neil and Young perform together as the money-driven Prime Time Players on television.
Young’s announcement came as no surprise to O’Neil who tells the “4th & Pain” radio show that he has known about his wrestling counterpart’s sexual orientation for some time.
“Darren is a great friend of mine away from the ring,” O’Neil told Washington Redskins defensive end Adam Carriker and I on the show. “I consider him a part of my family. My kids call him ‘Uncle Darren.’ … At some point you have to say ‘Man, to hell with it. I am who I am. I do what I do and I’m going to be who I want to be.’”
But would Young’s reception have been different had it been in an NFL locker room?
O’Neil and Carriker, both of whom have experience in the NFL, were able to provide unique insight into the question.
Of the four major professional sports in the U.S., only the NBA has an openly gay athlete in Jason Collins. So closeted is the NFL that only a handful of players have chosen to come out after their playing days concluded.
Yet, despite an apparent stigma that still exists within the 32 NFL locker rooms, O’Neil believes a person might have a better overall reception within those confines, than backstage at a wrestling event where fierce battles for television time can lead to low blows, cheap shots and backstabbing in real life.
“If you play a position, you play a position. If you don’t play a position, you’re really not a threat [in the NFL],” O’Neil said. “In WWE, everybody really plays the same position. Everybody is trying to be a WWE Superstar. So, whatever shot you can take, whether it be if a person is gay or not, they’re going to try to make something of it. Whereas in football, whether a person is gay or not it doesn’t matter. If they go out and make plays, they make plays. Period.”
There were rumblings this offseason that a handful of NFL players were considering jointly breaking the sexual orientation barrier, but nothing has come of the rumors to date.
“I can assure you there are guys, whether they came out openly gay or not, there are gay guys in NFL and college locker rooms,” said O’Neil, who played for the Jacksonville Jaguars organization following a collegiate career at the University of Florida.
Although ultra-competitive behind the scenes, WWE has publicly supported Young.
The wrestling organization is highly touted for its philanthropic work in the community that including the Be A STAR anti-bullying effort. The campaign aims to teach children not to discriminate against others regardless of age, race, religion or sexual orientation.
Young, a 29-year-old New Jersey native, is not the first openly gay wrestler in the history of the company. In the past, a few wrestlers have chosen to come out within the confines of the locker room, but have kept their sexual preference from the public.
Orlando Jordan, a former WWE talent, portrayed an openly bisexual character during a 19-month tenure with competing Total Nonstop Action Wrestling that began in 2010. He is also bisexual in real life.
Young, whose real name is Frederick Rosser, wants to inspire others within WWE who fear coming out will prove detrimental to their personal and professional lives.
“I’m hoping to be able to make a difference,” he said. “It’s very important to me that people understand that someone’s sexual preference shouldn’t really matter. It should be about the person.”
Young has been a mainstay on the WWE roster since 2010 and is not expecting the disclosure to impact his in-ring performance. He expects others in the company to put personal feelings aside and maintain professionalism in the event they are worried about contact in the ring.
“All sports are physical. We’re all adults,” said Young. “To be honest with you, when I come to work, I come to work. This is business. I’m a WWE Superstar. I’m there to entertain the WWE Universe and that’s what my job is to do and I do it well.”
- WWE Superstar and one half of the Prime Time Players tag team unit, Titus O’Neil talks about Darren Young, his revelation about him being gay, the reaction in the WWE locker room and more in this latest interview.
On Darren Young: “Darren is a great friend of mine away from the ring. I consider him a part of my family. My kids call him ‘Uncle Darren.’ They run, they play, they joke with him.
“For him to exhibit the courage that he did to go and discuss his sexual orientation to the world was a brave move to some, but to me is just an act of what type of man he is. You can only live behind certain people’s stereotypes or certain barriers in life for so long. At some point you have to say ‘man, to hell with it. I am who I am. I do what I do and I’m going to be who I want to be.’ “
On how the reaction would be different in NFL locker room: “The football locker room and the WWE locker room are two completely different things.” He says that unlike an NFL locker room where 53 players comprise a single unit, the wrestling locker room is constructed of more individuals which lends itself to “more shots” for backstabbing. “If you play a position, you play a position. if you don’t play a position, you’re really not a threat.
“In WWE, everybody really plays the same position. Everybody is trying to be a WWE Superstar. So, whatever shot you can take, whether it be if a person is gay or not, they’re going to try to make something of it.
“Whereas in football, whether a person is gay or not it doesn’t matter. If they go out and make plays, they make plays. Period. I can assure you there are guys, whether they came out openly gay or not, there are gay guys in NFL and college locker rooms.”
- When I clicked on OP's link, I expected some steroid-inflated freak like so many in the WWE are. I was pleasantly surprised to see he has a normal healthy-looking physique. Another plus: Overcoming a speech impediment as a young kid is a huge deal.
- Dang. Titus O'Neil is hot too!
- The difference between the NFL and the WWE is that one is actually a sport.
- WWE and NFL players have similar bods. Equally as hot.
- DY is a class act.
- It's really only about "hot" it's not about gay men working openly in any field they choose. They have to be hot first, gay second...maybe.
- Well, masculine first, then hot.
- The Prime Time Players are undefeated since Darren Young said he was gay.
- WWE star Darren Young will be appearing on "Ellen" this Friday afternoon.
- Do you really feel you have to identify him as "WWE star" when you are posting in a thread that is all about him, r134?
- He was SO charming on Ellen today. I loved the way he blew a kiss to his boyfriend in the audience. It's also uncanny how much he resembles John Cena. It's like Cena dipped in caramel.
- Cena dipped in caramel sounds so friggin hot, dude.
- Height: 6'1"
Weight: 239 lbs.
From: Miami, Fla.
Signature Move: Gut Check
- damn I missed his Ellen appearance. I hope it's online.
- here's part of the interview...hopefully all of it will appear online soon. In addition to being HOT, Darren seems like a great guy and his bf is cute too. That's a sex tape I'd watch:
- [quote]In addition to being HOT
This is extremely, extremely important. The most important and pressing part of being a gay man. If you look like John Goodman, stay closeted.
Fugly Truth Fairy
- Actually, the most important part is being very masculine. The second most important part is being HOT. Darren Young is both, so he is an APEX ALPHA Male.
- I would say this:
1) Being a top
2) Being masculine
3) Being hot
4) Working as an administrative assistant
- And a subset of 1) masculine is: being an athlete/jock in major team or combat sports (football, basketball, hockey, baseball, wrestling, MMA, soccer, boxing, lacrosse)
- Darren Young's boyfriend Nicki
- Eh, he can do better.
- They seem like a cool couple
- [quote] 1) Being a top
Would others co-sign this?
- Being a top is up there in the rankings, but I would not put it in the top three because some bi/gay dudes are total tops themselves and only seek guys who are bottoms or versatile.
- Cool hot dude
- For years, wrestler Darren Young put on a brave face for his fans when he entered the ring, but in reality he was harboring a secret that was eating him up inside – he is gay.
"I was terrified of losing friends, losing my job, just everything," the World Wrestling Entertainment star, 29, exclusively tells PEOPLE in the latest issue. "I had no idea what would happen if I came out."
But Young's fears were put to rest on Aug. 14 after he announced his sexual orientation – a revelation he had shared with close family and friends two years ago – to a reporter with a camera who approached him at Los Angeles International Airport.
"There came a point in my life where I just wasn't happy living a double life," Young says about revealing his secret to the world and becoming the first openly gay WWE star. "It was spur of the moment, and I said what I said and I was confident. But when I left, I said to myself, 'What the hell did I just do?' "
Keep up with your favorite celebs in the pages of PEOPLE Magazine by subscribing now.
Despite his fears, Young – known outside the WWE world as Fred Douglas Rosser III – was greeted with open arms by not only the organization's management and fans, but also his colleagues in the ring.
"They all embraced me, and that was just shocking to me. I truly love them," says Young, who resides in Miami with his boyfriend of two years, Niccolo "Nick" Villa, 25. "It was such a relief. I'm not hiding anymore and I'm living the dream."
For more on Young, his life with Villa and the reaction from the WWE world, pick up this week's issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday
- YES. Love that he's getting a People article. The pic of him and his bf is cute :)
- He is very hot
- He seems like a sweetheart and will often retweet fan pics that his fans post on twitter. So glad this is working out for him.
- WWE's Darren Young wears purple against bullying for Spirit Day
Published Thursday, Oct 17 2013, 4:24pm EDT | By Catherine Earp | Add comment
WWE star Darren Young has shown his support for Spirit Day, in a stand against the bullying of LGBT youth.
The former Nexus member participated by wearing purple and encouraging others to do the same in a video posted on Twitter.
- He could do SOOOOOO much better than that BF.
- Love him and what he's doing and what he represents. Finally a famous and publicly out gay, black, masculine guy. I hope he continues to be one of the faces for LBGT people.
- Darren Young is a BOSS!
- [quote]Finally a famous and publicly out gay, black, masculine guy.
Fuck you, R157.
- Don Lemon is goodlooking, but he is not a jock.
- he even looks great in pink
- I really love this guy. He is just an awesome human being.
- He'd be hot in anything he wears. Love him and his personality too.
- Darren and his boyfriend have major potential as porn stars!
- Every time I watch that airport video I just swell with pride.
- R165 I love him for it. I want him to eventually do movies like the Rock. He deserves to be even more famous.
- El día de ayer 2 de noviembre del año 2013, el luchador profesional Frederick Rosser, mejor conocido en la WWE, como Darren Young, cumplió 30 años de edad.
Debutó en la WWE en el programa NXT el 23 de febrero del 2010, como face, siendo instruído por CM Punk. En su primera lucha fue derrotado por David Otunga.
El 13 de abril del año 2010 derrotó a Luke Gallows, acompañante de Punk, pero el 18 de mayo del 2010 fue eliminado de NXT. El 7 de junio del 2010 en RAW, Young y los demás rookies de NXT atacaron a John Cena, CM Punk y varios empleados y destrozaron equipos de alrededor del ring.
El 15 de agosto del año 2013, reveló al portal basado en chismes de las celebridades TMZ que es homosexual.
Aunque un poco tarde de parte de SúperLuchas le deseamos a Darren Young felicidades.
- R167 why da fuq en espanol? Darren looks great for 30.
- Are there any other wrestlers rumored to be gay/bi?
- Translation of r167
Yesterday, November 2, 2013, Frederick Rosser professional wrestler, better known in WWE as Darren Young, turned 30 years old.
He debuted in the WWE NXT program in the February 23, 2010, as a face, being instructed by CM Punk. In his first fight he was defeated by David Otunga. On 13 April 2010 he defeated Luke Gallows, Punk companion, but the May 18, 2010 was eliminated from NXT. On June 7, 2010 in RAW, Young and the other NXT rookies attacked John Cena, CM Punk and destroyed several employees and teams around the ring.
On 15 August 2013, revealed to the portal based on the TMZ celebrity gossip which is homosexual.
Although a little late from SúperLuchas wish congratulations to Darren Young.
- He is an awesome dude, inside and out!
- fine ass dude
- nodaysoff DYoung @DarrenYoungWWE 13h
It's not about the "media" attention u get from coming out, its about the respect u acquire by staying true & living an honest life.
- He really looks like John Cena
- ^ Speaking of, did y'all see this post in the "Who's Gay in Sports?" thread?
[quote]Does John Cena count as an "athlete"? If so, then he's ours.
[quote]by: military guy who has been with John three times
- Darren Young will be out of action for four to six months after having surgery to repair a torn ACL according to WWE.com.
- WWE Hall of Famer Pat Patterson revealed on the WWE Legends' House reality show on the WWE Network that he was gay and WWE Superstar Darren Young took to Twitter to comment on Patterson coming out after he did the same last August.
"WWE Hall of Famer Pat Patterson revealed on the WWE Legends' House reality show on the WWE Network that he was gay and WWE Superstar Darren Young took to Twitter to comment on Patterson coming out after he did the same last August.
- Darren Young at NYC Pride
- DY is still one of the top 3 hottest gay celebrities to come out. He is fine.
- thats very odd because I just came in his ass.
- can't wait for him to come back! He tore his ACL in April so he's been out of action.
- Follow him on Twitter
- working out
- Dang he looks so hot all unshaven.
- Is he coming back soon?
- Chris Jericho is co-owner of a gym with Timmy Tebow? Say it aint so.
- Darren Young Ready for Comeback
Darren Young has put out a “comeback video” to hype his return to WWE, following several months of injury following the split of his former tag team, The Prime Time Players.
Young had surgery in April and was expected to be out 4-6 months, and with no reports that he’s had unexpected difficulty with rehab, he should be back in a WWE ring soon.
- Great news that his hotness will be coming back!
and he looks hot clean shaven or with facial hair.
- His boyfriend has been working out too. I still don't dig the Drag Race eyebrows, though.
- He is so hot.
- photogenic bro
- He is the hottest famous gay male in America today.
- He looks so hot with the facial hair and the haircut. He can still do way better than his bf even with that extra muscle.
- He is a handsome man!
- Perhaps, he loves his boyfriend for non-superficial, lustful reasons. Perhaps, he is a better person than you are.
- WrestleChat.net @WrestleChatNet 11m11 minutes ago
And now The Ascension vs Darren Young and a partner of his choosing announced for tonight's #RAW. Millions of Dollars...Millions of Dollars.WrestleChat.net @WrestleChatNet 11m11 minutes ago
And now The Ascension vs Darren Young and a partner of his choosing announced for tonight's #RAW. Millions of Dollars...Millions of Dollars.
- and like all professional sports (okay, wrestling is more entertainment, but you know what i mean?!)... young is the only gay wrestler in ALL OF WWE, IMPACT, etcetera? uh huh.
- He's so hot. I'm jealous of his bf.
- with Great Khali
- Titus and Darren together again
- He always looks like he painted his face with brown paint. So weird.
- uh, you mean his skin color?
- The hottest and most masculine openly gay male celebrity in the United States. By far.