- Hope and Jennifer remain remarkably thin despite choosing down on the donuts.
- I sympathise. I've banned all junk food from my diet but then I read about people eating yummy things or see them doing it on TV and the cravings go nuts.
- Yeah, fuck them right in their donut little holes!
- Kristen needs to stuff one up her rancid vagine!
- I'll fuck JJ and Will. I'll even cover them in doughnut glaze first.
- You all are mean mean mean
- Eric Martsoff always looks as if he's smelling cookies AND donuts, can't believe he's straight!
- That pharmacy set on today's show was a joke. It looked like a high school stage set!No wonder ED is leaving. Not only will Days not pay her BUT they are making the sets out of paper mache'!;)
- Jillian and Bob will kill me if I eat them.
- I'm glad she's leaving, her entire storyline is way-too-over-the-top and I can't stand the actress.
I really don't enjoy batshit crazy villains. Victor got it right, Kristen is a sociopath.
I also can't stand Stefano, he's really overstayed his welcome.
This Sami shooting Joe Bernardi to death situation is going to be dragged on for months because Stefano is always somehow one step ahead of everyone. Booooring!
I'm sure that new nurse, with the eyeglasses,, the one walking into Rafe's room, is a Stefano plant. It's all so predictable. I guess she'll try to off Rafe again?
I hope Kristen isn't pregnant. Age doesn't seem to be a factor on these shows!
- Eric Martsoff is married with two kids ..but that does mean he doesn't get a little (or big) dick on the side.
- Eric Martsoff not only pings, he super pings!
I laugh during his sex scenes with Kristen. Not to mention, Eileen D looks about 15-20 years older than him.
I don't get this pairing other than it was all about Kristen "destroying" Marlena. even though Brady is not even her son. Fucking the priest was also laughable. Now she can't reveal the video, because she might be pregnant. It's been extremely dumb writing.
- Eric Martsoff has always intrigued me. He's ken doll hot, but his mannerisms on the show are so ... different. The way he moves his hands and his head - it's all slightly over acting yet it compels me to watch him move.
and the actor who plays JJ - that guy is so snotty attitude hot. He's quickly rising to the top as my fav hot guy on the show. Those lips!
- Eileen will return. She had to take a break. They offered whatever she wanted. They shoot 7 episodes in 5 days. She was worked non-stop. She said she could do shorter story arcs. She's now constantly tweeting everyone, saying how much she misses them and the show.
About her storyline, are you nuts?! It's incredible, and her character is iconic! The ratings went up thanks to her, and when polled, 92% of viewers want her back on the show after her break and not that godawful Y&R! 18000 votes were cast too.
She was trying to destroy John by using Brady. She's using Eric to destroy Marlena. Kristen fell in love with Brady. Kristen mentioned that instead of Eric, she could have fucked Sami, but wasn't sure she swing that way.
ED said that this is the best writing she's ever received, and the critics all agree. She's a knockout with it.
Her scenes with Nicole are a blast! Did you watch last week? Scary as fuck.
ED said that she's more like Kristen than any other character she's ever done.
- Eric said that the majority of his friends are gay. He said that he toured in "Joesph and the Technicolor Dream Coat," of course he loves gay people. He said that they're the most loyal, and that he's active in the community in regards to gay rights. He said he's never played a gay character before, and would have no issue doing it
- Kristin/Sami would have been fun. I do love how Eileen is playing her.
- I haven't watched this show in years, probably not since the late 90's. Turned it on a few weeks ago and saw that they brought the Kristen character back. Could never stand her. The whole show seemed way campy.
I was also surprised that the actress playing Mrs. Brady was still on there. Do they only keep her around because Alice Reid died?
- [quote]ED said that she's more like Kristen than any other character she's ever done.
That's a damn odd thing to reveal, especially as Kristen is completely insane, she's clearly a sociopath. Why would an actress state they are like a character who is a sociopath? Maybe ED isn't too bright, because that was a really moronic thing to say.
Kristen is not a character any stable human being should compare themselves to.
I think she's a horrible actress. Kristen has no depth. The character is basically nuts and always out for some sort of revenge. I enjoyed when Victor asked Brady if he and Kristen did anything else but fuck. Victor got their relationship 100% right, that's all they do, fuck and then she lies to him some more.
What's with this "iconic" shit? Give me a break.
The DiMera's are the most cartoonishly silly villains ever to be on a show of this type.
Stefano needs a top hat, a long black cape and a long moustauche to twirl! He's as ridiculous as Mitch Lawrence, another jerky villain!
- I never understood why they keep bringing Stefano back.
- [quote]ED said that she's more like Kristen than any other character she's ever done.
That is sort of hilarious.
- [quote]That is sort of hilarious.
Yeah, hilarious and a very ignorant statement for her to make.
If ED is anything like Kristen, it makes me dislike the actress even more.
ED looks evil and crazy most of the time, she has crazy eyes, she's suited to play this psychopath/sociopath.
She needs to be listed on the crazy eyes thread.
- [quote]Yeah, hilarious and a very ignorant statement for her to make.
I know, I'm agreeing with you. I can't stand the actress and it's hilarious that she'd be stupid enough to make a comment like that.
- Don't go hating on Eileen. She is one of the bright spots on daytime TV.
- R13 He actually was a lot of fun on "Smallville" playing Booster Gold.
Most chemistry he had was with the girl he was rescuing in the tunnels Melanie. But the nutty storylines and the douchey clothes he wears - he could put to better use.
But that would mean less time for Dr. Encino Man and his cross-eyed "Duh, I'm concentratin' here!" reflex.
John Aniston seems to enjoy himself - much more than when he was the recast Riddler.
- R22, I know you were agreeing with me.
If you read the fan forums, these people have way too much invested in this show.
There is an obsessive ED troll who sounds like, if given the chance, he, or she, would drink ED's piss and eat her shit.
This person trails any anti-ED posts, then childishly attacks the person for not worshiping at the altar of the 'iconic' Kristen and the superb acting of ED. It's downright laughable.
This show's super fans have more than a few screws loose.
- [quote]This person trails any anti-ED posts, then childishly attacks the person for not worshiping at the altar of the 'iconic' Kristen and the superb acting of ED. It's downright laughable.
Is that much discussion on her? Maybe it's Kristen herself!
- Forget the donuts. I'll have a mimosa.
- Is there* that much discussion on her.
- R36, at IMDB, the DOOl forum there is insane, there are a few truly obsessive fans who snark like children.
They act as if these characters are real. If someone points out it's a show, they get even nastier.
Threads about Kristen are all over that forum. There's one troll who changes their name weekly! That person is the worst Kristen/ED troll, it's scary.
I don't post there I just read the threads. I have enough stress in my real life!
- Imdb boards in general suck.
- One of the last ED threads at IMDB, they were arguing about her being too old to get pregnant.
Some of the fans were bringing up her real age, 50s, and the age Kristen is supposed to be (40s?). These shows never reveal the characters actual ages.
Others in that particular thread were arguing that either age was too old to get pregnant. Since many posters there are tripping over themselves to worship Kristen/ED, they thought she could easily get pregnant.
Of course, most of them forgot the character had a fertility problem or whatever Kristen's scrambled eggs problem was.
- There is no chronological time on Days. EJ should be younger than Will.
- Is Shawn Christian still on? He gives me a big ol' boner.
- Jason Cook back in the day was steaming on that show!
- [quote]either age was too old to get pregnant.
I beg to differ.
- What Ed actually said is that she is more like Kristen than any other character she's played except for the evil part. I wouldn't take her statement too seriously to begin with. She was sleepwalking as Ashley on the glacially paced Old and The Bored for how long? She seemed more like a zombie than anything else on that borefest.
- EM pings a little bit. Add to that the age difference between himself and ED(12 years). He seems like a gay cub whose bearding.
As for the people complaining about the mustache twirling etc so on,soaps are not Shakespeare. Not even close, they are the bottom rung of the entertainment industry. The actors and actresses are not exactly in the category of Streep and DeNiro. Yes, I know some of the NYC soap actors used to do Broadway as well. Even John Bryggman from ATWT did Broadway and did a Die Hard movie. However the genre attracts a certain type of actor like Ron Moss or Drake Hogestyn who can do two expressions and play a role for 25 years and get away with bad acting.There are hardly master thespians left in this field.
- [quote] Alice Reid
You must mean Frances Reid, who played Alice Horton. Yes, Caroline Brady is probably now what Alice Horton used to be.
- I think she meant like Kristen seems to be fun-loving, and has a don't give a shit attitude. I don't think she meant the koo-koo part. This is evident when you compare Kristen with Ashley Abbott, a stone cold bitch with a stick up her ass, or the other characters on days, especially that Elvis loving, Appalachian weirdo.
- R33 He's still on.Dannifer or whatever it is called is annoying though.
On post R36 I actually meant The Old and The Rested but it was a slip. Mainly because ED looked bored playing the sleep inducing Ashley for what seemed like an eternity!
- r4, r7, r10, r12, r18, r21, r25, r29, r31 is mentally ill, and forgot to take her meds. They're exactly the reason why soap threads are banned here. This frau found us via Google.
- I bet JJ has fucked one of those donuts.
- JJ made a doughnut of my lips. I was on my knees, lips puckered. He stared down at me and dragged his meat along my lips, leaving that sweet doughnut glaze behind.
- r37, there is a huuuuuge difference between the actors on New York soaps and actors on Los Angeles soaps.
- Well, that, and Ronn Moss & Drake Hogestyn are two of the worst actors ever to appear on TV.
- R44 The last NYC soap was OLTL as of now the remaining 4 are shot in LA. The two PP soaps are shot in Stamford,Conn. That being said I mentioned the Broadway soap connection and gave the example of someone like Larry Bryggman.Even still the acting on NYC soaps could be quite shitty!It was one of the only places in entertainment one could witness the pre-Method acting and its camp and hamminess.
As I mentioned previously, this is perhaps the only genre where two actors like Moss and Hogestyn could ply their trade for 25 years and become stars. What chance would they have had to become stars in primetime and/or features? Slim to none.
- Fuck you R41, I am not a "frau".
I don't know many fraus who use the word "pings", which I used to describe the actor who plays Brady. You sound like a bloody imbecile.
I'm a gay man who has been posting here at DL since the late 1990s, go take your fucking meds.
Why would anyone Google to post here about any soap? Especially as there are tons of soap forums for those fanatics to go to, why post at a gay forum? I read the DOOL forum at IMDB, sue me.
I'm not allow to comment on the craptaculous acting of Eileen Davidson? Sounds like YOU came here from IMDB, because there's an insane ED troll there.
Her acting is awful, the character is ridiculously written, I can't wait until she leaves.
Now go stuff an entire box of Entenmann's in your mouth!
- They would not have had careers that lasted 20 years, but there have been some pretty back actors in prime time series in the past. CSI Miami was on for years, and the 80's had some pretty bad acted action adventure series. There is some bad acting in all mediums (Keanu...). That said, I think there are some decent actors who being on a soap is beneficial for a couple of years. If they stay longer than that I think they start to pick up some habits or tics that work well within the soap world, but not so much otherwise.
- R47's (endearing, in my opinion) love of ED and hatred of "The Old and the Rested" as he loves to call it has been around DL soap threads for as long as I've been reading them. He's clearly a gay man who's passionate about soaps, and I wouldn't change a thing about him :) I sometimes feel like I'm the only one. R47, if you're interested in another gay-friendly soap place to chat, Daytime Confidential, even with the annoying Jamey Giddens, is full of gay dudes who take absolutely no shit and have a good time.
- R49, I didn't call Y&R "The Old and the Rested", those aren't my posts. In fact, I never watched Y&R.
I watched DOOL, OLTL and GH before it became "The Sonny Soprano Show". When GH became all about Sonny and Carly, it was time to stop watching.
"Endearing love of ED", once again, not my posts. I cannot stand ED or her character.
- [quote]As for the people complaining about the mustache twirling etc so on,soaps are not Shakespeare. Not even close, they are the bottom rung of the entertainment industry. The actors and actresses are not exactly in the category of Streep and DeNiro.
When you see a character such as Stefano DiMera do the same things year after year, you can't always blame the actor's acting, you have to blame the horrible writers. Actors and actresses can only do so much with a terrible script or storyline. Stefano has been coasting for years, he's now longer surprising.
It would great to once again be surprised by the antics of these cliched villains, it rarely happens. Eileen Davidson came back as Kristen with a ton of hype, yet her juvenile revenge plot against Marlena and The King of All Eyebrow Arching John has been one huge snorefest. Fucking a drugged priest? How shocking!
The writers keep on insulting the viewers because they don't think we want anything different. Stefano might as well be twirling a long black moustache! Because he's been written in broad cartoonish strokes for years!
Are you aware the man who portrays Stefano, Joseph Mascolo, was a film actor before DOOL? Don't always assume these actors and actresses were 'soap actors'. I saw him in one of the "Jaws" movies.
A ton of film actors and actresses were formerly on soaps: Kevin Bacon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tommy Lee Jones, Demi Moore, James Earl Jones, Brad Pitt, Julianne Moore (seriously!), Meg Ryan and Susan Sarandon, to name a few.
- Does anyone ever actually eat the donuts?
- R49 Actually I'm the one who calls Y&R The Old and The Rested and I do love ED. She's been great on Days camping it up to the nth degree. She was literally sleepwalking through her last stint on Old, Sony did her a big favor by firing her and hiring her on Days. Old and Rested has become a farce, nothing like it was in the 80s when ED first started there. BTW I'm a gay male and a little bi. I have had affairs with women. One of the things I loved about the soaps was that you could see beautiful people of both sexes. However the acting can be stagey,campy and over the top sometimes. As well as the storylines.
R51 I agree about Stefano. Though I haven't seen Joe Mascolo around that much lately. I figured he'd be interacting with Kristen much more. There is only so much you can do with him and it's seemingly all been done.
Eric Braeden was on Rat Patrol on TV and was in movies like Colossus and Escape From The Planet Of The Apes before he did soaps. Now he's typecast as a soap actor. Though EB appeared in that piece of shit called The Ambulance with the once great Eric Roberts and Titanic. Otherwise he's a soap actor. Same thing with Thaao Penghlis, he was in Altered States(by the late Ken Russell) before he did soaps BUT ended up as a soap actor despite doing the new Mission Impossible and films. In the end, the steady paycheck becomes very attractive.Instead of being i a cool film with Ken Russell or a big one directed by Ken Russell, an actor can get paid weekly albeit on a genre with substandard acting!
- Yeah, r46, my point was you would only find stiffs like Hogestyn and Moss on west coast soaps and never on east coast soaps. East coast soaps always relied on stage-trained actors where west coast soaps hired people who could never quite make it or whose day had passed.
- They certainly were shitty actors/pretty boys on the NYC soaps in spite of its proximity to the NYC.Once again actors like Bryggman could do stage and soaps and do a credible job on both. Some of the older actors/actresses and mainstays were not exactly Method actors either. They were very stagey and hammy. A lot of them seemed to have skipped The Method and the idea of organic acting. Then again the genre is so hacked out and everything is regurgitated over and over again ,Larry Olivier could have done soaps and would have been called a bad actor!
- Greg Vaughan does it or me . . . loving the Kristen/Father Eric forbidden fruit storyline.
Casey Moss is doing a great job as JJ, especially for someone who's never really acted before.
- Eric used to work at Dollywood as a singer/performer.
On the show Tommy Horton defected to Canada to avoid the Vietnam draft.
He opened up a chain of Coffee Shops named Tim Hortons.
It is now a Billion dollar industry.
- Eric Braeden plays Robin's father on HIMYM.
- Drake was fired from Days. No one wants to watch his poor acting. Marlena can do fine by herself.
- On Days John Aniston, Suzi Rogers, Peggy McCay have all had Broadway.
James Reynolds continues to do theater in the LA area.
- In fact Peggy McCay is a member of the Actors Studio.
- I had a friend that used to refer to Drake as, "the mouth breather."
After she said that, it was all I could notice.
His acting pretty much consisted of long pauses, raising an eyebrow, squinting/staring off, and heavy mouth breathing.
I haven't watched the show in years. Didn't know he was fired. Just watched an episode of Top Chef Masters where they cooked for the cast of Days, and he was on it making some bitchy remark about the food, as though he was actually an expert. It reminded me why I can't stand him.
- Again Peggy McCay is a member of the Actors Studio
- Why do the fans hate the character of Daniel and his romance with Jennifer? I think Shawn Christian is smoking hot.
- Shawn Christian IS smoking hot.
He's good in the Lifetime movie "Murder in the Hamptons", playing Danny Pelosi.
- R64 Because he was forced onto the canvas, ate a lot of screen time and people just got sick of him.
Also, despite the obvious pretty, the character of Daniel isn't all that interesting, and his romantic pairings have been about as exciting as watching a scabies rash change shapes.
- They resurrected Susan Seafoam Hayes last week for the book club doughnuts/weed scenes.
- [quote]The DiMera's are the most cartoonishly silly villains ever to be on a show of this type.
You've apparently never seen General Hospital.
- Shawn Christian is very hot and has one hell of a body for a man in his late 40s. Unfortunately all of his on screen pairings have been cold as ice except possibly with Arianne Zucker (Nicole). It doesn't help that the current Daniel and Jennifer pairing is promoted by so many other characters as being the best love story ever in Salem.
- R68 - God yes. That started with the Ice Princess story 30 years ago.
- agree with r69
Jack has been gone a year and Jennifer was with Daniel only a month or 3 after jack's death. I know they dated before Jen and Jack got back together but it was still rushed even for a soap opera! JJ is a little snot but I want him to break them up he is on point about how soon Jennifer went after Daniel after Jack died and I don't understand why others esp Aunt Maggie didn't object on the mourning process alone
- You guys DO know that the actor that played/plays Jack just had a baby in real life with some chick who wasn't his wife? I think he's hot.
I always assumed he was gay even though he was married
- [quote]Endearing love of ED", once again, not my posts. I cannot stand ED or her character.
Yeah, okay, frau. Eileen is an icon, and Kristen is a beloved character. This idea that it's just one person who loves her, and it's impossible that the public adores her, shows your ignoarance. Soap Opera Digest just had a poll which had @ 19000 entries. 92% chose for her to come back to "Days" after taking a break. This was the "What Should Eileen Davidson Do Next?" The critics love her, viewers love her. People love Sami and EJ to death. I can't stand them, but I accept reality. I want Missy Reeves to get run over by a truck, but her Q rating is through the roof. I don't know who these people are who love her, but I get why she's on. Eileen Davidson has saved the show, and will most likely win her first Emmy next year. The politics are on her side. If she irritates you so much, change the goddamn channel. You are truly a lunatic. You sound like she ran over your dog. You just make yourself sound even crazier by defending yourself.
- [quote] Well, that, and Ronn Moss & Drake Hogestyn are two of the worst actors ever to appear on TV.
I agree with this, but I think Drake is a tad better than Ronn.
- [quote] There is no chronological time on Days. EJ should be younger than Will.
I think EJ is one of the worst examples of SORAS on soaps. He should also be younger than Abigail.
- Gary Tomlin is a huge Shawn Christian fan, and NBC is also in his corner. He also tests very well with the viewers who don't go to message boards. They thought connecting him to Maggie would help, but it hasn't, in fact that character's popularity has suffered because of her connection to Daniel. Bottom line, he's not going anywhere and they are going to continue with Dannifer because they feel the audience will eventually come around.
- Who is older Abigail or Will?
- R60 John is known as a soap actor. Peggy was part of The Actor's Studio BUT she is no great shakes as an actress. She probably fell asleep during the exercises!Suzanne is still cute and she's really nice BUT she's a lightweight as well.I like JR BUT he's no heavy hitter either. How many jobs has he gotten outside of Days?
R58 He's hardly a regular!
R70 Pat Falken Smith who the head writer of GH during the Ice Princess moved back over to Days. She enticed Thaao Penghlis to go to Days(from GH) by telling him Tony DiMera would basically be Victor Cassadine. Gloria Monty promised to bring him back BUT TP wasn't being paid to wait so he went over to GH.So the DiMeras began as an ersatz version of the Cassadines. I do think that Stefano /Elvis bit was pure camp/cartoonishness. As silly as the Cassadines have been(Stavros' recent return was pure camp), the whole Susan/Elvis/Stefano/Kristen storyline in the 90s makes The Ice Princess saga look reality bound.
R74 ED will probably win an Emmy just for playing one role this time out! And that pseudo version of Susan that one time. Ed did revivify the show. Her reappearance really added a lot of pizazz to the show. Patty Pease coming in after her is a yawn. I liked her and Robert Scorpio...er I mean Shane together but they need another bitch/cunt to come on the show to shake things up.
- Abigail is older
- The Daniel story also suffers from being stuck with frau extraordinaire Jennifer Horton, as played by right wing cunt Melissa "I Eat Shit-Fil-A" Reeves.
- I don't understand why Stefano is still there, either. Mascolo is a tiresome old ham. Yeah, he played a minor role in the godawful Jaws 2, big fucking deal. Kill him off already.
- The Daniel / Jennifer romance has got to be one of the dullest relationships on soaps. The only interest that is generated is when someone is trying to break them up, like Chloe or JJ. Outside of that, watching hairy earnest doormat Daniel romance judgmental stick up her ass Jennifer is like watching paint dry.
And while I'll miss ED - because lets face it, she is what revitalized Days - I do think characters like that need a break from the canvas. Without sending her away for a while (please, please come back some day), Kristen risks becoming the dull joke that is Stefano. A character can only burn so many bridges before she's written into a corner or other characters have to be written like idiots (hello Brady) to make having any relationship with her viable.
- Stefano is also ugly as sin. Very repulsive looking.
And he smokes repulsive repugnant cigars.
- Daniel, the surgeon, is absurd with his ridiculous rawhide string silver circle necklace that he NEVER removes and his weird hair that appears to be a small hair piece/toupee in the middle because otherwise why would he comb his hair so weirdly.
And what surgeon would wear that absurd necklace.
- .....is this a soap thread?
- Regarding Drake, does anyone else remember when Friends' Joey (Matt LeBlanc) was on Days?
I don't remember the set up but he said he does what he called "smell the fart acting". I always thought that was a reference to Drake because when he did it, he had the same expression that Hogestyn has been doing now for what, 30 years.....
- It was almost sad to see Jon Hensley assume a two day bit role on B&B recently, as a doctor consulting on a case.
Once so popular as Holden Snyder on ATWT, apparently CBS threw him a bone with this mercy casting.
- The former GH actress who is now playing Theresa on DOOL plays bitch/cunt very well.
James Scott is quite the hunk, but he plays EJ like he's auditioning to be the next James Bond.
- R79 Peggy McCay happens to be an Emmy Award winning actress.
- R91 Julia Roberts won an Oscar and she's a shitty actress! Those awards are bought and sold they usually don't mean a damn thing.At least that's the way Cesar Romero put it. I like Peggy and I'm glad she's still around but she's no Glenn Close or Meryl Streep. Unfortunately the soap genre is littered with people who couldn't make it in primetime or in features.
R90 She is so beautiful(she reminds me of an oldtime Hollywood actress a little bit of Ava Gardner maybe) and so cunty.She had some Twitter fight with the girl who formerly played Belle on Days. They both played Maxie on GH and the actress who played Theresa claimed something to the effect that Theresa could kick Maxie's ass. The Former Belle/current Maxie took umbrage to that and cuntiness ensued. It was all so silly.
R89 The Bland and The Boring? John Hensley? Who? Only joking....Days could use another hunk like him around. Hope and Kayla both need some it's about time that we see them get laid for a change. Resolve Bo bring in Hensley!
To the anti-Stefano fans, Stefano has become too soft because he's become a semi-regular. There's only so much you can do with him. He's become like a supporting figure to Sami/EJ and Kristen to be honest. He's also become too cute and cuddly relative to what he once was. Bring back Tondre to replace Kristen and have TP play him as a bad guy for awhile.
Dannifer? I thought that the relationship didn't test well at all.Shawn looks too much like Guy Pearce for my taste. He has a nice body but he looks more like a surf rat than a doctor! BTW Chloe is coming back again which I'm happy about! She's not a good actress per se but she's nice eye candy for sure. Anyone breaking up those two is OK in my book. Melissa plays a right wing cunt in her real life BUT she works on the pro-gay/filled with sin Days set. A lot of her politics might come trying to appease her husband after her affair with Peter Blake. If she was such a religious zealot why is she on the gayest show in daytime with people fucking around left and right. It's definitely for the paycheck......If we had the odiously stiff Missy Reeves doppelganger Stephanie Cameron playing Jenn we would have the handsome hunk called Peter Blake come back. Instead Missy can't be on the same show she might fuck him on the premises again.
- Jason Brooks was smoking hot on DOOL . . . who could blame Mrs. Reeves for wanting to ride him?
- HD has to be a soap actor's worst nightmare.
Every imperfection is there to see in those endless close-up shots.
- Jennifer told Kristen "You'll never end your pregnancy because you've always wanted to be a mother!" on Friday. I wonder if the writers did that to mess with Reeves by making her character talk about abortion as an option, when I'm sure she'd rather it never be discussed.
- Well Missy was married and had a kid right? Then again it would be hard to say no to a muscle queen like Jason! He must be elephantine as well. Especially when compared to Missy's little husband.Scott might be ripped BUT he looks like a short dick man as well.
Speaking of HD, Missy Reeves looks rather old. Has she had any work done? She's looks decent for her age BUT looks worse than Suzanne Rogers.Does Suzanne have a boy toy because she's still cute for an older woman. I wonder....
- r92 Yes, I agree, Stefano was softened when they made him a regular. Back in the 80s and 90s, he'd come to town for a few months then leave again. He was much more threatening in those days.
Plus there was always lots of build up to Stefano's arrival. For weeks, if not months, there would be talk of Stefano will be here soon to enact his plan. And when he did arrive, it was always spectacular!
Thus, even when Stefano wasn't on screen, you still felt his presence in the storyline. The Maison Blanche storyline in 1994 where they found Hope/Gina? Stefano was only there for the very end.
Much of the build up to the Kristen hiring Susan to pretend to be a pregnant Kristen, Stefano wasn't there for it either as he was on the run from the law. He only arrived in time for the Elvis-themed wedding between John and Susan (impersonating Kristen).
If I recall correctly, Joe Mascolo insisted they put him on contract in the late 90s, right around the time James Reilly left as headwriter.
- Who's combing Suzanne's wigs?
- Who are the gays on this show now?
- The Theresa actress is fucking gorgeous.
- r100, like OMG you are such a poser. No one can like stomach that bitch.
Farah and Kirsten
- [quote]Peggy was part of The Actor's Studio BUT she is no great shakes as an actress.
Well, she's not exactly give weighty material on DAYS. But she has won an Obie for a production of Uncle Vanya and she's been nominated for three prime-time Emmys in addition to her three DAYS nominations. She certainly has the best acting pedigree of anyone appearing on the remaining soaps. (Faint praise, I know.)
- Regarding HD- I was home one day a few weeks ago and had Y&R in the background. I agree HD is not a soaps friends - it makes the sets look more fake, and being that it is an aging genre with older stars, it is not kind to some of their facial work.
- Peggy McCay originated the role of Vanessa on Love of Life
- Regarding HD, I think Eric M (Brady) Botoxed his forehead. About a month ago, I couldn't get over how wrinkled it was. I noticed the other day is was as smooth as Baby Arianna Grace's.
- He gets it every six months or so but you can always tell when its time for more and then the contrast after he's had it.
- I'm gonna cut for Drake here. He IS John Black. The fact that he can't act, just makes the character better and you believe him. And back in the day, John Black was just drop dead hot. He's aged, but he still has that John Black swagger. He was daytime's Ken Doll, you could change his history, change his character and he would just roll with it. And behind the scenes he is one of the nicest guys. When Dee came back and wanted his dressing room with the shower, Drake just moved to a new dressing room. No bitching, no crying, no diva antics, he just moved. And he loves the fans.
- Bottom line about Drake.
He is just playing himself, and has qualms about doing so.
- Does anyone know what happened to me?
- Tommy Horton, Jr. fled to Canada to avoid the draft and opened up Tim Hortons, a coffee shop.
Now it is a billion dollar business.
- And when you realise the sheer volume of work they do, it's no wonder that the "acting" falls by the wayside. In the link below Chandler talks about having to film 23 scenes in 1 day. That's just inhuman.
And yes, for anyone using troll-dar I have been posting this elsewhere. I'm stunned--why would they have to film at this pace when they are 3-4 months ahead?
- Most people believe that he is dead. At Tom Horton's funeral Alice referred to Mickey as Tom's oldest son, so everyone just assumed that Tommy died in Hawaii, but it was never mentioned on the show.
- You are wrong R112
- Does anyone remember me?
- R114 you went out to mail a letter, and never returned.
- R111, they no longer do overtime or weekends and they are dark for one week a month. They have also eliminated rehearsal (most soaps have) and extra takes. They are basically doing live to tape. The 4 month ahead schedule keeps costs down and the show on the air. They are working on a budget of about $700K a week, the lowest of the hourly shows. Y&R is about 1.5 million a week and GH is $850K.
- When will the mystery of Kate Roberts being Dr Kate Winograd be revealed? I tune into every episode hoping this 40 year gripe will be resolved.
- Don, who was better in the sack? Marlena or Maggie?
- Marlena was better. Maggie's cooter was a bit dry. FYI, she is not a natural red-head.
- I hate the lighting on Days. It's way too bright and unflattering and the sets look SOOOO fake. Horton Square is dreadful. It just doesn't seem like it's outside at ALL! I seem to remember Salem Place actually looked like it was outside.
- [quote] Fuck Those Hortons and Their Donuts
when I first read this I thought you had a problem with Tim Hortons
- [quote] Reeves by making her character talk about abortion as an option, when I'm sure she'd rather it never be discussed.
One of my favorite Jennifer story lines was when Nick was going to force her to lose her virginity by filming a porn with Frankie. Missy must have LOVED that.
- Missy was a good time girl before she was dragged into a crazy evangelical church and forced to admit her sins in a front of an alter of church elders and then the entire congregation. That little fucker was going to take her kids away.
- Hi guys! It's me, Arleen Sorkin! I would have loved to have been in those scenes! Why didn't Jenn invite Calliope?
- [quote]That little fucker was going to take her kids away.
Her kids have to be adults now. Shouldn't she be able to cut and run?
- Does Julie even remember that she has a brother?
- Does she remember that she has a son?
- The girl is 21 and is totally brainwashed and a Jesus freak. The boy is 16.
- R120, Salem Place WAS an outside set. Those were the days.
This was one of my favorite sets (and storylines) from the past. Not only was it a nice set, but the costumes were top notch (for daytime) and the plot was incredibly fun. These are the episodes that proved Jim Reilly was a homo.
- Don't forget about me.
- Back in the day Missy was involved with both Jon Hensley and Rocky Paull Golden.
- R100 I know right Theresa is fucking beautiful. Definitely the type of girl that I go straight for. And yes she plays a cunt even too well.
R102 She had a pedigree but once you lie with the soap crowd you start to become one of them. Thaoo Penghlis seems like he's doing Iago when he plays Andre or Tony BUT he ain't no Olivier when it came to movies or TV though he wasn't that bad.
R107 I don't think that Drake is a good actor but he was perfect for that role,John Black or was it Roman?!;)Who would have thought that Wayne Northup and Deidre Hall would be surpassed by Drake and Deidre at one point.
R111 As ED said they are trying to cut out all the fat. It's too torrid a pace even for daytime. It was one thing when Days taped 6 shows in 5 days but 25 shows in 15 days? That working schedule drove ED off the show.
R116 Sony is supposed to further cut Old and The Rested's budget. They are not shooting Days style yet BUT but as ED has said Y & R is getting there.
R114 Yes and no. However I had once heard that you also played CC on a long gone soap and a Quartermaine on Generic Hospital.
R118 Marlena. She's a lady in the street BUT a freak in the bed. Maggie makes a better companion but her oral skills are somewhat lacking......
R120 I hear you but that's part of its campy allure. BTW it's the only remaining network soap that doesn't even do exteriors anymore. That's how much they are cutting the fat there. Even GH did exteriors this year. I wonder when the last time they did exteriors on that show was?
- Young Missy must have been a hoot. I bet she was coked up during the '80s with the rest of the cast. I wonder if soft-butch Deidre Hall showed her the pleasures of Rue Sappho?
- R120, Horton Place is under a dome. So it's not really supposed to be outside.
- There was only one straight actor that played Mike Horton, the last one? Roark Critchlow. He pinged a little though.The other actors were most certainly gay.....Paul Coufos had that gay clone look for awhile. Wesley Eure had an affair with another doctor called Kildare didn't he? Micheal T Weiss was gay as far as I know.
- That's Salem "Under The Dome"??
- Roark Critchlow is so dreamy. After Jack Deveraux #2, he's the hottest guy who's ever been on DOOL, in my opinion.
- Did Jennifer ever find out that Jack fucked her mom?
- Jack# 1 was very preppy looking and cute. Jack #3 was the hottest Jack. Mark Valley is smokin hot.
The one thing I miss about Days is that Days would always have the guys taking their shirts off. The shirts would be off for no good reason. Will and JJ and Cameron should never be in shirts.
- Let's talk the 90s primetime spinoff soap Manhattan Lives which was supposed to star Deidre Hall as Marlena in New York?
- R133 I doubt it. I had heard about Mary Frann, Dee Hall and Mary Hart all screwing each other back in the day and I was kind of surprised. I think Dee was good looking back in the day and she's not bad now BUT she never pinged to me. I'd say she's bi veering towards women. I hear conflicting reports about her and Jane Eliot on Generic Hospital. That they were involved sexually and they weren't, they were just close friends. I had heard some BS that they were living together and then I found out that they weren't. Even still where there is smoke there is fire.
I think Drake fucked Dee.She has always had the strangest body/facial language around him in interviews. With Wayne Northup it was always an affectionate thing with Drake she's always seemed quite flirty.
- Drake had that raw animal sexuality thing going on. Wayne is just a good guy, but doesn't have that sex thing like Drake does.
- R139 They had Cameron, Daniel and Rafe take off their shirts at some strip club this year.Brady was there as well.Cameron's body is so hot! I wonder if he is screwing Abby D in real life? If I were her I would be pulling a Missy Reeves on him and blow him in my dressing room every day!
- R141. "Electra-Woman" & "Dyna-Girl"
Now it can be told...
- R139, I meant Mark Valley in my post. Thanks for the correction. He's so hot.
- Just because a girl did one silly blow job in a dressing room a few years back and you all can't seem to let it go.
- God, I loved Mark Valley's feets. Especially in that TV series Keen Eddie which he shot in London with Sienna Miller.
- R146 Honey Missy got caught once that means she had done it before and not gotten caught! That one time her hubby had shown up was the time she got caught. She didn't even finish Jason off to completion that time! Scotty should have at least let her swallow.....
- With Days airing 5 years in the middle east/arab world what will happen when they finally get "Wilson" is several years will most of them heads explode.
- Somehow, I don't see Nathan "Cameron" Owens screwing any of the female cast members.
Check out his model page and accompanying photos.
Note the size 12 shoe . . .
- Whatever is sprinkled on those donuts can help a sixty year old woman get pregnant
- Regardless of Eileen Davidson's age, Kristen is younger and is still capable of getting pregnant. There was a scene back when Kristen first showed up in Salem when Kristen said she graduated from Princeton in 1986. If she was 21 in 1986, that would make her 48ish. A 48 year old woman is more than capable of having natural children, as both my Grandmother and Mother can attest to.
- I thought Kristen couldn't get pregnant which was why Brady decided to look into adoption. Now, all of a sudden, there's another miracle pregnancy just like Nicole's?
- How long have you watched soaps R153? Not being able to get pregnant is only a plot device until they don't need it any longer. That goes back to the beginning of soaps.
- In all fairness to Kristen...
Are we forgetting that Deidre Hall was in her 50s when Marlena gave birth to Belle?
- My mistake, Deidre was 46 when Marlena had Belle.
- Although I think Marlena was pregnant and miscarried a few years back when she would have been close to 60. A lot of mockery on the boards over it.
- Was Christie Clark a bit of a diva?
- [quote] Although I think Marlena was pregnant and miscarried a few years back when she would have been close to 60. A lot of mockery on the boards over it.
I remember that storyline. Some Guiding Light fans also loathed the storyline of Reva Shayne having a baby in her 50s.
- after reva had already gone thru menopause!
- [quote]I think Drake fucked Dee.She has always had the strangest body/facial language around him in interviews.
Doubtful. They weren't exactly friends off screen. They maintained a civil relationship and played respectful for fans, but that's it.
- Didn't Victoria on Another World have twins when she was well over 50?
Lucci's character on Devious Maids tried to tell her blind billionaire boyfriend she was 39 and wanted a baby. When he found out her real age, he shouted she went through menopause in the Clinton administration. She desperately argued, the second term. Judy Reyes also got a couple of digs in - like "didn't he feel your neck?" and made a comment on her face telling her not to pull it so tight. I have go give Lucci kudos for playing up that part of her character.
- Cameron screwing or being blow by Kate is a big possibility.That model p[age is inconclusive. So what if he has a 12 inch shoe size does that make one gay!?
It's a fucking soap opera Kristen can get pregnant. Stefano and Tony have come back from the dead how many times and the audience accepts it. Ed is playing a character who is in fortyish. She can still have kids. The whole "can't have kids' routine is a common trope in entertainment. The shock of it all is that Kristen can get pregnant.
Someone mentioned Reva? Darlings this is not the Soap Graveyard thread, this is the Horton Donut thread. Scurry along then!;) I actually gave a shout out to Kyle Sampson on the Upstate NY Hospital Thread.It seemed like the minute Larkin Malloy left the scene Josh magically was the perfect one for Reva!Or that's how it felt like to me. It was like Kyle never existed.....However tying into GH,Kyle Sampson currently resides in a clinic in Switzerland in a coma!Just like the one in GH. I wonder if Ron Carlivati will refer to him somehow.
- R161 I don't doubt anything.A lot of people are friends off screen that we don't know about. Like Eileen Davidson and Drake Hogestyn, I didn't say that he fucked her though. Dee Dee on the other hand......
- Cameron fucking Kate would be hot. Kate is so glam and luxe...love her blue streaked hair. Of course only gay writers really "get" Kate and give her lots of screen time. She's a female tranny-inspired femme fatale.
- I meant Kate Mansi actually!;) No matter I still love Kate. The unlikely pairing of Rafe and Kate is OK with me. I'm glad she's been on Days for so long, she's really been quite good all these years.
- Peggy McCay gets second billing right behind Suzi Rogers.
- Can someone tell me what happened after they ate the doughnuts? I'm going to try to watch the episode but sadly SoapNet no longer does the Days marathon on Sunday nights. I hate watching shows on my computer, but I will if it was a good ep. So...did they get high? Did they go to the hospital?
- It would have been funny if all of them had got arrested.
- Who ate the donuts?
- Adrienne, Jennifer, Julie and Nicole ate the donuts. (Annoyingly, Hope was called away before she could get high. I guess DOOL didn't want Det. Brady unintentionally breaking a law?) The episode was amusing, especially Julie's antics, but I think it could have been funnier. Worth watching.
- I would have loved to have seen Kate, Nicole, and Sami high.
- I don't think anyone posted a link to the clip yet, did they?
- R171 You forgot Kayla! I think this is the first time she's been out of the hospital in how long?Is she an asexual ninny now? When is Steve coming around to pile drive her or some young ripped stud instead?
- Kayla is VERY sexy. She needs a man...and NOT Abe. Abe is kinda old and too boring for her. She needs to date one of JJ's barely legal stoner friends.
- Has Nicole gained a little weight?
- I did forget Kayla, I'm sorry! I like Kayla a lot, but Judi Evans is still my favorite. I really want them to bring back the rest of her kids, get rid of Dee "Butch" Hall and make her rivalry with Sami the centerpiece of the show.
- I don't really know any of the story lines as I haven't watched since the whole Hope/Princess Gina storyline, but I'd love to see them bring Eve back. I think there's a lot they could do with her and the trouble she could cause.
- They should bring back Cal Winters, get him involved with Theresa just to drive Kim crazy!
- R178 - That was almost 20 years ago.
- speaking of the Gina storyline, I saw this on DC and didn't know the answer, I'm sure someone here will...
1. I was watching some clips when Gina comes back and they all think she is Hope. Bo says they didn't have Hope's fingerprints to match but why didn't they do a DNA match with Doug or Shawn Douglas?
2. also, does anyone remember how long Is Gina Hope storyline went on?
3.(my question about the storyline) Anyone know if Gina was always going to be Hope? Did they have another plan?
1. They did eventually do a DNA match with Shawn Douglas.
2. The Gina/Hope Storyline went on at least two or three years. I think it started in 93/94 and kept going because they added the story line of an actual Princess Gina who recovered her youth or something like that and that kept the story going on for years. I stopped watching by that point.
3. Yes, Hope was always going to come back as Hope. She was one of the most popular characters at that time.
- Apparently, the Princess Gina storyline ran all the way up until 2000. Not sure if there was a break in-between Hope coming back in/around 1994 and then just bringing up another Gina storyline in 1999.
Thanks, Do you remember why it went on so long if they could have just done a DNA test on Doug or Shawn D? All I remember is the is she or isn't she Hope stuff esp with Billie
- When was the Garden of Eden?
I don't remember why they didn't have the DNA test done sooner. I think at the time, if I remember correctly, everyone just assumed she wasn't Hope and it was Stefano messing with them. Hope/Gina had no memory of being Hope, etc. and I think they just figured "Gina" got John Blacked.
It wasn't until Hope was able to open the box and she was able to recite what the letter in it said that they decided she might actually be Hope and they could get a DNA test.
I really don't think it was anything explained or discussed about why they didn't do it sooner. It was just one of those things where you just don't ask because it's obvious they're doing it to stretch out the story line.
- Since we're on the subject of Hope.
Anyone know the story about Kristian Alfonso and Lisa Rinna supposedly teaming up to get Robert Kelker Kelly fired? I read about that somewhere that just alluded to them thinking he was scum and him dating an under age actress on the set at the time. (I think he later married her).
- Gina was always going to be Hope. Reilly even set up a code with the name Gina.
The letter after G is H
The vowel after I is O
The letter after N is P
The vowel after A is E
Remember this was really before they were doing DNA testing in a regular basis. All of the blood work came back inclusive. It was suspected that Stefano was behind that. What sealed the deal, in true soap fashion was that Gina opened a puzzle box that only Hope and Dr. Tom could open.
Reilly didn't write the Princess Gina storyline. His storyline was going to involve that Jungle Storyline and what was under the sheet, an evil Hope clone that Stefano was going to use to destroy the Bradys, but Sally Sussman dropped the story and Tom Langan created the Princess Gina storyline.
- I think some of you were talking about this earlier.
- [quote]The letter after N is P
- Kristen's on through November Sweeps. Her character would start showing by then if she happened to be pregnant. I want them to have her leave with a bun in the oven. She sounds positive that it's Eric's. Dee posted a picture of her and Eileen together, and Eileen is shielding herself behind Dee's back. Hmm.
- RKK was handsy in love scenes and would do love scenes naked. But the real reason Kristian wanted RKK gone was because fans wanted RKK and Lisa Rinna's Billie together. She got Corday to ask Peter back, knowing full well that fans would wants Bo and Hope original recipe together. She was right. Peter and Lisa didn't have the chemistry that Lisa and RKK did. Kristian has been pulling diva shit forever, though. Lisa went along with it, but she was practically out the door anyway because she was getting primetime offers. Remember, this was when Days was a rock solid #2 and was even threatening to dethrone Y&R on some weeks.
- BTW, Kristen mentioned Peter a few days ago. Us he still rotting away in prison with Sami?
- In the early 90s, DNA testing was just beginning and it took a long time to get the results. That was true in real life and Days made it a plot point. They said it will be four to six months before the results come back. And since Jim Reilly was the headwriter, they milked every second of that wait period.
No, the Hope/Gina storyline didn't run continuously for 7 years. Hope/Gina came back in 1994 and by late 95, early 96, it was definitively established she was Hope.
Then they had the Bo with Billie while Hope was with Franco plotline for a long time.
The Gina plotline was came back about 1999 when Stefano triggered something in Hope's brain to convert her to Gina. Later Gina kidnapped John during his honeymoon with Marlena and they had the infamous submarine sex scenes.
Later the real Princess Gina showed up and impersonated Hope. That storyline eventually wrapped up in 2001.
Thanks. But at the time, the touchy/grabby nude scene thing wouldn't have affected Kristian since they didn't have any love scenes when she first got back on. Seems like a weird excuse for her to be able to use, even if it wasn't the real excuse.
And I can see why they'd give in to any demand Kristian made at the time. I remember how huge it was that she was coming back. Even them hinting that Hope was coming back got a lot of people to tune in at the time.
- From things I have read KA can be a real bitch. She and Crystal Chappell hate each other and KA was responsible for CC being fired the last time she was on the show.
- Why does KA still pronounce "about" as "aboot"? I thought that was a Canadian thing and she's from Boston.
- The consonant after N is P. My mistake.
KA got a lot of people fired from that show. The fans love her, but she's a real diva behind the scenes.
- KA looked so much better in the 90s, before her face started looking like Skeletor.
- [quote]Anyone know the story about Kristian Alfonso and Lisa Rinna supposedly teaming up to get Robert Kelker Kelly fired? I read about that somewhere that just alluded to them thinking he was scum and him dating an under age actress on the set at the time. (I think he later married her).
It's true that RKK was paying too much attention to the underage actresses, and reportedly, Alison Sweeney's mother and some other adult women complained about that. RKK was eventually bounced from DAYS for any number of reasons (KA, his rep with the young women, the drive to bring back PR, etc). He got a gig on a soap in NYC (I forgot which) and did end up marrying Miriam Parrish, who played Sami's friend Jamie. I believe that RKK and Parrish went public with their relationship after he left DAYS -- I don't recall if she was still a minor or had turned 18 at that point.
- I looked into the comment about Matt Ashford having a baby with another woman and was surprised to read this is true. He's acted opposite this other woman in theatre. He and his wife Christina have been married since 1987.
- In retrospect, does anyone know why they brought on Vargas? For the first part of his story, it sure seemed like he was going to be the man who raped Nick in prison. But then they seemed to shift gears and put the blame on some guy that they came up with out of the blue. One would think they may have done that because they had other plans for Vargas - but he's done nothing. He had a fling with Nicole - that went nowhere. He worked some with Hope - that went nowhere. And ... now he makes occasional appearances to sit and talk with Nick.
- RKK went to Another World after Days. He and Miriam did go public after he left Days. I remember the soap magazines announced their engagement and featured pictures of them from events.
- [quote]Yeah, okay, frau. Eileen is an icon, and Kristen is a beloved character. This idea that it's just one person who loves her, and it's impossible that the public adores her, shows your ignoarance.
Once again, I am NOT a "frau", I'm a a gay man who who has posted here at DL for many years. Learn how to spell ignorance while you are at it!
Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong suit either.
I never posted that "it's just one person who loves her" nor did I post it's impossible that fans "love" her. Yeah, I get it freaks as yourself 'love' this skinny actress. Just because some viewers think she's an 'icon', it sure doesn't mean we all do. I never enjoyed ED or her character, stop beating a dead horse.
I posted my opinions on her. If you can't comprehend, you shouldn't be replying to anyone posting here.
I also posted there is one fanatic who trails and verbally attacks anyone at the IMDB forum who posts anything negative about ED or the character she portrays, Kristen. Kristen is a character, got that?
Soaps fans, as yourself, sure don't have too much of a grip on reality. I am wondering if you and the creepy IMDB ED fanatic are one and the same!
I am so sick of posters here calling anyone they don't agree with a "frau", there are a lot less str8 women posting here than you think.
- KA was gorgeous in the 80s, with a voluptuous figure.
- [quote] I hear conflicting reports about her and Jane Eliot on Generic Hospital. That they were involved sexually and they weren't, they were just close friends. I had heard some BS that they were living together and then I found out that they weren't.
I've heard from a number of sources that Jane is NOT a lesbian, but she and Dee are close friends.
Jane was involved with a married man for quite some time, before she adopted her kids. I think to some degree the Dee rumor actually helped her because it distracted people from what was really happening.
- God, as a baby gay I had such a crush on RKK.
He was Sam on Another World before playing Bo and he was so hot. Sam apparently didn't own any clothing because they kept RKK as nearly nude as decency would allow.
He later returned to AW as a different character, then disappeared altogether.
- RKK firing wasn't only about the underage actress.
He is extremely difficult to work with. Every female actress he has worked with has nothing good to say about him.
- [quote] But the real reason Kristian wanted RKK gone was because fans wanted RKK and Lisa Rinna's Billie together
Nice story, but Rinna had already announced she was leaving way before RKK got the axe.
The real reason was a) RKK was a pig to the actresses behind the scenes b) Kristian got along better with Peter, and he was BO to her HOP originally.
- Hi Kristian at r210. May I bum a Marlboro?
- [quote]Kristian got along better with Peter, and he was BO to her HOP originally.
Which was ironic, because Alfonso and Reckell didn't get along at all for years.
- R212 supposedly they patched things up. They do say back in the day they were young and wild.
But then they matured.
- r205, the anti-Eileen Davidson troll/loon, doesn't know when to quit and take her meds.
- I wonder who they'll recast Will with.
Vargas is in today's episode. His character is coming to a close now. I love how they announced that, like he's been on the show for months now. That last time we saw him was like 4 weeks ago for one second.
- [quote]Why does KA still pronounce "about" as "aboot"?
I always laugh when she says it, and when she says "foe-toe."
They don't let John Aniston move around a lot for the fact that he has a cane.
Eileen Davidson is now putting her house up for sale because she needs a break and knows she's going to be out a lot of $$$. She said that she TOLD them to give her a lot of work because she took a pay cut when she left "Y&R". Bitch didn't know what she was in for. Chandler is now leaving the show because of the schedule.
I heard Ken Corday is a real bastard when it comes to funding the show, spending tons on himself, and kissing the ass of Ali Sweeney, giving her whatever she wants. He claims that he has no control over the show in terms of writing or hiring. Who is he kidding?
- [quote] Eileen Davidson is now putting her house up for sale because she needs a break and knows she's going to be out a lot of $$$. She said that she TOLD them to give her a lot of work because she took a pay cut when she left "Y&R".
Yeah, they apparently worked her to death and she wants a break. She's 54 now and wants time with her 10 year old son. She said in Digest the DAYS thing wasn't about story or pay or anything else other than she'd worked pretty steady for 30 years and wants a break.
- [quote] I heard Ken Corday is a real bastard when it comes to funding the show, spending tons on himself
He owns the show you know
- Horton hears a who!
- I couldn't dance with another...
- RKK apparently pissed off his young leading lady on AW, Sandra Ferguson. He strung her along for a while but ended up banging one of the producer's assistants.
- Looks like Eileen doesn't get a return trip to Genoa City for Katherine's funeral/memorial.
- Vargas looked nice all dressed up in a suit. I wish they show was keeping him around.
- On the 15th of May, in the Jungle of Nool, In the heat of the day, in the cool of the pool, He
was splashing... enjoying the jungle’s great joys... When Horton the elephant heard a small
- I love a good donut "hole"
- I need hot daddy Bryan Datillo to fuck me silly.
Lucas and EJ would be my dream double penetration team.....
- They need to bring me back to the show!
- They need to bring ME back to the show!
- [quote]He owns the show you know
Yeah, and? He talks like he doesn't.
- [quote]Looks like Eileen doesn't get a return trip to Genoa City for Katherine's funeral/memorial.
GOOD! No one wants her back on that show. They want her on Days. Sony wants her on there. They own both shows. They will not allow Eileen to return to Y&R. They made their conditions clear. She's allowed to leave, but when it comes to the Sony-owned shows, a contract from them will only consist of a Days contract. She must have had an extremely cushy job on Y&R. How hard is it to play "wallpaper" on that show?
Why would she ask to work more because she took a paycut? Does Days pay by the episode number?
Her latest interview is all over the place though. She says that she wants a break, but that she'd take anything at this point. She must really live paycheck to paycheck, which is amazing since she has a mansion. I'm a bit shocked that her agent was talking about sending her out on auditions for other shows now. She still has to audition??
- [quote] Her latest interview is all over the place though. She says that she wants a break, but that she'd take anything at this point.
I didn't get that from the Digest interview.
The DAYS schedule was draining her. She essentially worked 12 hours days 6 days a week, and in a role that - like it or not (and I'm not a Kristen fan) was central to the show.
She said she would consider something down the line that had a more flexible schedule, like a sitcom, and she would consider another soap, but schedule was the biggest factor. She is 54 with a 10 year old kid, and she and her husband want to downsize because all their older kids/stepkids are out of the house now.
- Days schedule used to be one episode a day. You got in at 6AM and had to stay until 6PM. No exceptions. You spent the entire day running lines with co-stars until tape time.
Even at Y&R the schedule was much better. You show up two hours before you tape, block and then tape. It is a much better family friendly tape schedule. That is why at Y&R, many of the actors were able to do outside projects. The schedule was much easier.
Eileen was used to that.
Now to stay on the air, Days has this crazy schedule where you are filming multiple scenes (out of order) that is live to tape. No retakes, no second chances. Everything has to be done in one take. The show cannot afford any re-takes.
- In other Y&R news Robert Gant (Ben QAF) will be doing a few episodes as the son of Kay's lawyer.
Mitchell Sherman was Katherine's long-time lawyer.
Now stepping in for the reading of the will is the son of Kay's lawyer, David Sherman. Played by Robert Gant
- R233 Darling no offense this is not an Old The Rested thread. There was one or was it a Bland and the Boring thread? I always confuse those two snoozefests.....;)
What Eileen was used to on Old And The Rested was appearing infrequently and being on easy street money and work wise. She was even willing to play both Kristen and Ashley at one point before Maria Bell and O & R didn't want to share her with Days. Sony made the right decision and ED might finally win an Emmy for her work as Kristen. Yes Days burnt her out by making her do the "9 to 5" shift 5 days a week with a week off each month instead of working 14 hour days in the 90s like she use to! The poor thing.It was much worse years ago on soaps but with Sony running Days and Old and The Rested in a certain way and Valentini looking over ever penny in Generic Hospital's budget things have changed on soaps.
ED did seem concerned with not being able to take a second take at times. As an actress I know Corday and Sony want things on time and on budget BUT they are not just trimming the fat they are cutting into the muscle as well!
- R232 - I think Days is set up as a M-F type gig. Yes, they do everything out of order and one take but they don't work weekends or stay late. It had something to do with the unions.
- Why have they gone live to tape?
- [quote]She said she would consider something down the line that had a more flexible schedule, like a sitcom
That was hilarious. As though she could get work doing anything other than a soap?
- [quote] Why have they gone live to tape?
To cut costs.
- So Horton stopped splashing. He looked toward the sound. “That’s funny,” thought Horton. “There’s no one around.” Then he heard it again! Just a very faint yelp as if some tiny
person were calling for help. “I’ll help you,” said Horton. “But who are you? Where?” He
looked and he looked. He could see nothing there but a small speck of dust blowing past through the air.
- Will looked good for the opening of Sonny's coffeehouse/club.
- R235 As I had said in R234 It's basically a 9 to 5, 5 days a week work schedule. That has to do with costs. If they shoot beyond that it will cost Sony and Corday much more money including OT for the grips etc so on. The entire cast and crew have a week off every month to further save costs.Old and The Rested have gone to a 4 day shooting schedule a week. I wouldn't be surprised if they go to a Days type of shooting schedule as well.
- [quote]Old and The Rested have gone to a 4 day shooting schedule a week.
Would they be shooting 7 shows in 4 days now a week then?
- [quote]She said she would consider something down the line that had a more flexible schedule, like a sitcom, and she would consider another soap, but schedule was the biggest factor. She is 54 with a 10 year old kid, and she and her husband want to downsize because all their older kids/stepkids are out of the house now.
I don't remember he saying "sitcom." She's putting her house up for sale because she want be able to afford it because of what she's doing now.
Look, people on Days have multiple kids under 10, and they do this show. She liked the ability to be lazy on Y&R and get paid good money for doing so. She asked for more work to make up the paycut she was taking on Days. She wore herself out. Now she has nothing. She even said that in order to get out of the deal, she asked to work one day a week for a ridiculous amount of money, and she did it without an agent, which she said was stupid. She's going to end up right back at Days. What other show is going to take her, and offer Y&R money?
Sony will not allow her back at Y&R. She could do both shows, but Days is a must. Why did she do Y&R and Days earlier this year if she was so tired? That was back in February, she announced her leaving Days in March. She says that she had the option to leave after three months. Last month, Days asked her to give them a few extra weeks to finish her storyline. She said that she gave them "a week." As nice as she is said to be, that's a pretty cunty response to them. They were willing to work with her and give her whatever she wanted. They said she could do both shows. She could have gotten two paychecks. You know what her problem is? Y&R doesn't want her. She probably took her worn out ass for a few eps back in February at Y&R to get them to consider asking her back.
Y&R has gone through a ton of writers in the last three years. She hardly knows anyone there. She doesn't have her great supporters, and they really screwed her over in the end. They all said that they didn't want her to leave. She publicly stated, "Well that's not what I heard," and she referred to the person who stated that they wanted her to stay and were fighting for her. Days is a family atmosphere. Y&R doesn't give a shit, and they're said to be clannish. Now, she's at home tweeting about how much she misses Days, her co-stars, especially Eric Martsolf, and is watching the show.
Days gave her the best writing she ever received (she said so herself), and made her the star of the show. At 54, who the fuck gets that, especially when you left 14 years ago, and were only on the show originally for 5? She should have done whatever it took to stay. Days is now winning awards and pushing the envelope.
She said that on her week off, she had a bunch of scripts she had to learn. She said that she was tired of sitting in traffic for two hours everyday. Then why not just move closer??!
I hope someone posts that new interview. It's very telling. She praised the show though, so she wasn't a total bitch. Wait until Days sees the ratings in the November which is her official send off. It's for November Sweeps, and it's suppose to be one of the biggest send-offs the show has ever done. They'll be begging for her to come back, and she'll have had a few months sitting around, probably gained 5 lbs, and want to come back.
If they get rid of Wilson, have no gay characters, and she's not around, I ain't watching! Missy Reeves can go fuck herself.
- Finally, Shawn Christian has removed that stupid rawhide necklace . . . it's been off all this week.
- The fight Vargas got into today with the guy who picked up his date, that screwball Theresa, was hilarious. Since Vargas did coke at Chad's new club, it's assumed he went ballistic due to the coke.
Theresa is as mentally unstable as Kristen. I guess the reason for introducing more of Theresa's wacky antics is because ED is leaving?
Theresa is all over the map. Seems she'd fuck any guy for drugs or money. Daniel made it very clear he is not interested. It's pretty funny that she's more away from her job than there.
I don't pay much attention to her character, is Theresa supposed to be working with Jennifer instead of going to jail in LA? What was she going to jail for, drugs or prostitution? Both?
Who are Theresa's parents?
- Theresa's parents are Kimberly Brady and Shane Donovan. Patsy Pease is coming back as Kimberly fairly soon--don't know for how long.
- Patsy Pease had a pretty rough life, it could be a soap opera.
Her schizo mom tortured her and her siblings for years. Patsy had many spine surgeries due to her beatings. Her brother died in his 20s from his years of beatings. The mother committed suicide when Patsy was a teen.
- Vargas leaves next week. That guy is not really hot in this show, but off-camera is is FINE! Doesn't he look like a typical gay guy? I swear I saw him in gay porn.
- When does Sami get out of jail?
- Yes, Vargas looks like someone you'd see in gay porn.
Too bad Vargas is leaving, I was really hoping for some interaction with Theresa, that he'd be someone who'd really mess with her head.
Also, Vargas possibly setting up a low level drug operation with that annoyingly smug little twit J.J. Then J.J. finding out that Vargas is really a narc!
I cannot stand that little bitch J.J., I want to see someone beat the shit out of him. I cannot take his constant smirking and that annoying self satisfied laugh when he thinks he got over, once again, on his mother.
Not that I particularly enjoy Daniel and Jennifer, it's just that I cannot stand that little punk thinking he has so much power in his mother's romantic relationship choices.
He's a manipulator and Jennifer continues to be an idiot. If I hear him mention Jack one more time, I will scream.
- JJ is his father's son R250
- Yes R250, J.J. needs a good, long old-fashioned, over the knee, bare-assed paddling. And I volunteer to administer it.
But first, pour me an Abbetini.
- this isn't about donuts??????
- Someone needs to administer some surprise anal on J.J.
That will wipe that permanent smirk off his face. Then again, he might enjoy it.
The 'actor' playing J.J. was a model before appearing on DOOL. WTF did he model? He looks like a troll.
I love how casting agents, and producers, hire actors and actresses who look nothing like the actors and actresses playing their parents. Not even slightly similar features, skin tone or even the same hair color, nothing!
J.J. looks nothing like Jennifer, or Jack, and neither does Abigail.
- What head of a department(PR) shares a cramped office with her assistant?
Enjoy and look forward to the scenes with the bitchy head of HR, who hates Jennifer.
- R243 Old and The Rested shoots 5 episodes in 4 days.They don't go dark once a month like Days does. Eileen Davidson did say that the industry was going in that direction.
Look Ed hadn't worked that hard in years. She was a background character on Old and The Rested.Katherine had more sex than she did on that show!;) Josh Griffith and the rest of them gave some BS about wanting her back. JFP isn't paying ED a gazillion dollars a week to do one scene with Jack and spend the rest of the week hanging out at home. ED has done the best work of her career at Days, she should thank her lucky stars that Sony fired her from their CBS snoozefest. She went from being background fodder to being the star of a show.
JJ being mentioned.....JJ is a cocky little cunt. I hope he gets what he deserves like Cameron's cock in his mouth!Cameron cheating with JJ over Abby would be a trip.
- Damn, Theresa is one major bitch!
- Cal Winters needs to come back, hook-up with Theresa and drive Kim bat-shit crazy!
- I like the suggestion that Kelly Sullivan (who just wrapped as GH's Connie) come to DAYS as a recast Eve Donovan, Theresa's older sister.
Eve could take up some of the bitch slack after Kristen is gone!
- I would love if Eve came back(with Frankie!) but why? She alone would be an island, she's not related to anyone else except Teresa
- But she has a bit of a past with some characters, like Jennifer. She could fight Jen for Daniel.
And Eve's stepmama Kimberly will be back soon.
- Eve is connected to the Brady family via her father's marriage to Kim.
- Abigail looks like Jen.
- Abby looks nothing like Jen or any of the Jacks. She's still cute though.
- Brenda Epperson has been meeting with CBS. If Eileen doesn't want to come back, Brenda's back as Ash.
- Im the one that posted that they should bring Eve back, however I'd only want to see Charlotte Ross play her, not anyone else.
They could easily bring her back in a storyline revolving Kim. They could also bring her back with or without Frankie. I'm not sure if she's still with Frankie as he didn't mention her when he made his visit a few years ago. She could come back though with his kid and start all kinds of shit.
In the past, they'd bring in characters all the time that weren't tied to anyone (look at Stefano, he'd come back all the time, even when Tony was around just to mess with the Bradys).
As someone else mentioned, Eve has a long history with Jen and fucking with her life, so they could easily bring her back for that.
Eve was a great character because when she was evil, she was ruthless. She was a better (and more interesting) character than Kristen, because unlike Kristen, Eve didn't cause trouble because she was crazy... she mostly did it for revenge or just for the fun of it.
- [quote]Brenda Epperson has been meeting with CBS.
Eileen posted on Twitter that she's throwing shit out of her house, "downsizing." She's selling her place cause she's not going to have a paycheck anymore. She seems to have lost her mind a bit. Maybe she's drying up down there and her head is spinning. What she's doing is batshit. You just don't do this, especially when you had so much going for you, and she could have gotten a better deal. She had a show that was willing to work with her, as well as let her do whatever the hell she wanted. She went from asking to work more because she took a paycut, to not working at all and making nothing. The show was even willing to write her out until the fall, and she wouldn't even do that. She's willing to sell her home, but wasn't willing, or wouldn't even consider moving closer to the set. She complained about traffic. I just don't get it. Wait until she gets her Emmy nom, then she's really going to feel stupid. She's already at home watching "Days," lamenting and tweeting about it. She has one kid, while everyone at that show has multiple kids under ten, and somehow she just couldn't make it work.
BTW, she wasn't even asked back for that upcoming tribute show.
- [italic][R243] Old and The Rested shoots 5 episodes in 4 days.They don't go dark once a month like Days does. Eileen Davidson did say that the industry was going in that direction.
Look Ed hadn't worked that hard in years. She was a background character on Old and The Rested.Katherine had more sex than she did on that show!;) Josh Griffith and the rest of them gave some BS about wanting her back. JFP isn't paying ED a gazillion dollars a week to do one scene with Jack and spend the rest of the week hanging out at home. ED has done the best work of her career at Days, she should thank her lucky stars that Sony fired her from their CBS snoozefest. She went from being background fodder to being the star of a show.[/italic]
So, you'd agree that Davidson is being incredibly stupid, right?
I almost want her to be hit hard for being such a moron.
One thing Corday is completely right about is that "Days" doesn't have a real lead-in show set like the others do. The show was just completely dropped by one syndicate. They're now tied or beating "General Hospital" every week, so that isn't too horrible.
If Eileen did next to nothing on Y&R for so long, why is she still such a big deal over there??!
- r268 Ashley Abbott is a legacy character at Y&R. She's part of a main family. Her character has been a part of the show since 1982.
Y&R didn't use her well for the last 3-4 years, so she really was just a background character. Her absence hasn't left a huge hole on the canvas.
Y&R is known for bringing back characters for special occasions like weddings and funerals. Danny Romalati has come back for a visit several times. Traci Abbot makes several visits to town each year. That's just how the show works, especially if the actors maintained a good relationship with the show's brass.
Can't tell you why they didn't ask Ashley back for Katherine Chancellor's funeral, but it will be a glaring omission.
- I think some of you are a bit crazy.
Have you ever been burned out by a job? That Digest interview screamed it. It sounds like she wanted a break for a while.
She actually had this problem when she left before - Days had her playing Susan and all those other characters and she was burned out then, too.
Sometimes it's not about fame, or a job, or how many times a day she's mentioned on Twitter. It sounds like she needs a fucking rest. Occam's razor, bitches.
Yes Ashley is an omission but P3 is a bigger one!
- I'm surprised Thom Bierdz and his huge loads weren't invited back. I suspect his behavior during and after his last return did not endear him to the network.
- [r271] Yes, I agree, Phillip the Third should definitely be there. And Thom Berdz certainly wanted to be there.
- Isn't the Ashley character on Y&R actually not an Abbott?
Wasn't she really fathered by another man other than John Abbott?
- I hate the term "legacy character". Soap fans should really stop using it because half the time they don't know what they're talking about. Ashley Abbott is not a legacy character. The Abbott family was not on YR at any point in 1973. The only legacy character left on YR is Jill Foster.
- You don't know what it's like to shoot a soap at the pace DAYS does. You can't know. Eileen is not just an actress, she's a genuine creative artist and Kristen is a character that cannot be played on the wing. Don't you get it? DAYS is not a creative environment, it's basically a factory. It doesn't matter that the actors are well known and get paid, they are basically manual labourers. Do you know what it is to memorize lines and yet not be allowed to really 'play' because of time constraints? It's no life anymore, the soap gig.
- LOL @ R276.
Of course we all get it. Everyone, EVERYONE, from doctors and lawyers to stock clerks and everyone else is being given less and less time to do more and more work.
Congratulations on joining our capitalist society.
- R265 I like Brenda Epperson BUT is she meeting with Sony or CBS? If she is meeting with CBS she might play Ash on Bland and teh Boring. If she is talking to Sony she will reprise Ashley on Old and The Rested.She was decent as Ashley. When ED was going to start playing multiple roles on Days, Ed suggested to TPTB that they get Eppy to play one of her other alter egos.
R266 Charlotte Ross was so good as Eve. So innocent and beautiful looking yet such a cunt!
R267 She was burned out on Days when she left in the 90s and was overworked this time as well. I hope that she comes to her senses and goes back to Days.At the very least to make a paycheck.....
R268 ED isn't the big deal you think she is on Old and The Rested at least to TPTB.Certain people have said the right things over there BUT JFP is not bringing ED to do walk-ons for the money she was making. Sony brought her on to cut the budget not spend more money.
R276 ED was sleepwalking over at Old and Rested/Bored. It was easy street. She was very comfortable making her big salary and enjoying her glorified cameo status. Days brought her back and made people take notice of her again. Yes the work schedule is tough BUT this isn't primetime or a feature film. However they could at least allow another take every now and then !
- Four words:
- Soap Opera Digest published its poll "What Should Eileen Davidson Do Next?" this week. I think this says it all. 18000 votes were cast for it. I don't doubt for a second Sony sees this.
BTW, Eileen REQUESTED more work. She burnt herself out. The show was willing to work around her schedule.
- Eve Donovan paved the way for Sami and Kristen. It would generate enormous coverage if Charlotte Ross were to return although as said above, Days is not about creative storytelling anymore and is taking advantage of its acting company through ridiculous working hours.
- R278 you are the ONLY person on the board who thinks "The Old and the Rested" is funny.
- R282 Wrong. It's about sarcasm. BTW other people have started using that well deserved nickname for the soap AKA The Bell Borefest on DL as well. Then again people who currently watch Old and The Rested are devoid of subtlety,sarcasm and irony because they are beguiled by that zombie-like snoozefest every day. Oh and this is a Days thread NOT a O & R thread. Talk about an example of trolling. No wonder the anti-soap trolls get into a tizzy fit every time they see a soap thread....
- R281 If you have seen the latest ratings for Days they need an Eve to come along.They need a baddie to come back whether it's Tondre or Eve when Kristen leaves Theresa as Princess cuntbag will not be enough.
- [quote]It would generate enormous coverage if Charlotte Ross were to return although as said above,
Unfortunately, Charlotte's already on another show. She's also garnered enough success away from Days, on Primetime TV, that I doubt she'd come back unless she becomes really hard up for a job/cash.
- The actors on Days have committed to this schedule to keep the show on the air. It is a real team effort over there and it is the most drama free of all of the soap sets, because they don't have time for bullshit. Corday offered Eileen a reduced schedule and would work out a shooting schedule more family friendly, but she wanted a break and didn't want to do that to the rest of the team. The Days schedule is coming to the rest of the shows, just wait.
- R286 I know they've really bought into Corday's guerrilla film making tactics but unlike other people on the back burner with kids ED was burnt to a crisp. She was basically became the star of the show and wasn't used to be working that hard.The strange thing is that other people have a flexible schedule on the show, ED was just looking for an excuse to get the fuck out.Even though she wasn't working 14 hour days like in the 90s this 9 to 5/a gazillion scenes a day got to her.
- In spite of efforts to reboot and save the genre, soaps will be gone in a few years. It's not a sustainable model anymore. Network prime time advertising revenue driven dramatic programming to follow.
- The soaps are weak in young demos and that will be their ultimate downfall. Though Bland and Boring will be the one that definitely survives as its a show that's shown internationally and has a great deal of success in that regard relative to the other American soaps.
- You can blame a lot of things on Ken Corday R287, but this filming style works because it is the most cost effective. Days used to have one of the biggest budgets in Daytime, then they more or less sliced it in half, they had to make changes. And the only person with a flex schedule is Ali Sweeney because of her Biggest Loser schedule. And lets be real here, those 23 scenes a day are, what, 45 second scenes? Maybe at the most a minute and a half. Soaps haven't done 5 minute scenes since the early 80s. I'm not saying the schedule isn't hard and grueling, but c'mon.
- Soaps aren't 'dead', just different.
Watch 'Downton Abbey' ..... total soap ... a supercouple with Mary/Matthew, supposedly returned from the dead relatives (Patrick, who 'died' on the Titanic), paralyzed guy who can suddenly walk, sisters at war ....
- R290 According to what I understand Alison is not the only one that comes and goes when she wants and shoots when she can. ED has made that clear that they were other people(plural) on the show that had such a deal.She really chose not to do it because she is so burned out.
I'm not blaming Ken really just making an observation about how deep the cuts are and how adversely they have affected the show.Ken's tactics have kept the show on the air but to what end? How much did his salary go down when all these cuts were made? A lot of what he has done has been necessary to keep the show on BUT what point does it become more about NBC making a profit and Sony making peanuts/a lesser profit?
IN addition compared to the other Sony soap Young and The restless,Days is run on an absolute shoestring budget and shooting schedule is quite grueling.Look Old and Rested gets the ratings so the higher budget is warranted BUT they haven't cut all the fat off yet.Especially when it comes to shooting. Sony even tried to get Eric Braeden to take a 500,000, he said no and is making a million.And unlike GH,B & B and Y& R, Days has the most grueling schedule of them all.
- Sony and Corday make their money in foreign sales. NBC makes money through ad revenue. Corday also owns a piece of Y&R. Alison doesn't come and go when she wants. She can only work certain days and at certain times. KA who only shoots in the morning, but that is a perk of being a vet and negotiating certain things when additional money is off the table. Those are the only two that I know and I wouldn't call KA's morning shoot request special. She just negotiated first in first out in her contract. Frances Reid got a brand new car every year she was on Days as part of her contract, then when she couldn't drive any longer, she got car service. Drake Hogestyn, in the 90s, got a special schedule so he wouldn't miss baseball games. And don't get me started on the perks that they have over at YR and GH, they would blow your mind.
- If Days stripped down the episode number to 3 days a week the quality would be restored and the ratings would skyrocket. How about a primetime slot too? Early evening on NBC.
- Corday owns such a small piece of Old and Rested. It's a token interest at best. what Sony is making in foreign sales is nothing like what the Bells and CBS are making from B & B. Mind you I could never stand B & B BUT on foreign sales alone it could survive. Days...not so much.
I wonder if this is my old friend,Michael? If it is say hello to ED for me!
R294 If it went internet only it would go to 3 days a week.Early evening on NBC? Nothing else is working.....
- Corday owns 15% of YR. Nothing sells like BB, but YR and Days do very well in international sales.
- The Bland and Boring is the highest rated American soap internationally with estimates of between 20 to 30 million viewers around the world, so the Bells and are raking in money off Bland and Boring compared to Days and Corday/Sony
- B & B is the biggest internationally by far. I'm no Bland and Boring fan at all but The Bells and CBS have geared that soap not only for the US market but internationally as well.Sony does well enough with both of their soaps BUT B & B is the most successful US soap in terms of foreign sales and popularity.
R297 The Bells are doing well BUT their shows are terrible. There's no counting for bad taste in this world. Now if you tell me about what Bill Bell did back in the day on Days and Y & R,I'll give him credit. That being said his heirs have turned both soaps into borefests of the highest degree.
R296 Ask Ken if you see him or know how many decisions he's made on Y & R throughout the years?Trust me The Bells have say on that front. If he sells his share,he'll get paid however unlike B& B Old and Bored would get canned first oddly enough.
- [quote]And don't get me started on the perks that they have over at YR and GH, they would blow your mind.
MORE on soap perks, please!
- Charlotte plays an "Eve-like" character on her new show, Hit the Floor. The character is described as being a "toxic, opportunistic, snake in the grass who under the surface is a good person battling insecurities."
Interestingly, Charlotte's ex-husband discovered Amanda Bynes and predicted to Charlotte that Amanda would basically end up having some kind of meltdown.
- That 15% paid for Ken's 4 houses.
- [quote]I'm no Bland and Boring fan at all but The Bells and CBS have geared that soap not only for the US market but internationally as well.
I haven't watched B&B in years, yet this statement interests me. What makes the show so appealing to an international audience? Has the cast become more diverse (it was always rather lily white when I watched)? Is it because the fashion industry has universal appeal? Something else?
- Before BandB, Santa Barbara was the #1 soap in foreign sales. Santa Barbara is still a phenom. I travel around Europe in June and every country, there was Santa Barbara still on the air. Another soap that did will internationally was Sunset Beach.
So think about it, what do those three soaps have in common? There is your answer. What do foreigners love and consider "American".
- Here's Eve Donovan, Lucy Coe and Leanna Love. Pretty iconic magazine cover, guys!
- They really did give Eve one complicated life in the four years she was on.
From what I can remember, her storylines included growing up not having a father, finding out the person she thought was her mother wasn't, her real mother resurfacing, finding her father, becoming a prostitute, having her classmates find out she was a teen prostitute and them labeling her a slut and being used as a bet, getting knifed by the Salem Slasher, being (partially) responsible for her step-mother's miscarriage, attempting suicide, getting kidnapped, failed lounge singing/music career, stealing Jen's love interest in order to get her hands on Nick's money, eventually having to give up everything to follow the man she loved to Africa....
What else am I missing?
- Look at Lynn Herring's ass on that magazine cover. Absolutely amazing. Even gay guys wouldn't say no.
- Days was a bit more realistic in the late 80s during the Eve Donovan era. You could even describe it as gritty.
- Ha, thanks for posting that R307. I was looking for it earlier.
- R301 Ummm, I would say Days paid for all of that.According to Wikipedia his production company owns 1 percent of Old and Rested.
R303 Credit goes to the Bells who tailored their show to those foreign markets. They've been to Italy as a show how many times now? Fucking Days hasn't done exteriors for how many years now? as much as I deride Bland and The Boring I must give the Bells and CBS for making the show conscious of its foreign market. Tristan Rogers AKA Robert Scorpio had said that B & B is the only soap that could survive this mess in the end.
R302 Part of it initially was the very Americaness of it all. Katherine Kelly Lang was seen as an all American girl as was Joann Johnson. The fashion industry plays a part in its success as well. In addition the show has traveled to Italy to shoot capitalizing on its popularity there.Ron Moss even did the Italian version of Dancing With The Stars!
R304 I like Barbara Crampton. She was in a lot of horror and B films. Charlotte Ross is so angelic and pretty and sweet looking. Lynn Herring seems like the straight girl so many gay men would fuck. I think she's a trip.
- [quote]Abigail looks like Jen.
Abigail and JJ looking NOTHING like Jack or Jennifer.
Put your eyeglasses back on OR your contacts back in.
I hope you never have to identify anyone in a police line-up!
- Days was a lot better in the 80s through early/mid 90s.
- Chandler, Casey and Blake
- What's the big deal about characters not looking like their on-screen parents? It's hardly ever taken into consideration when casting.
Look at the Brady clan. None of those kids look like Caroline or Sean. Those kids don't even look like each other.
- Oh... R312.... dat arm! Mmm...
- R313 That was part of the black sheep allure of Bo when Victor Kiriakis was supposed to be his dad.He didn't look or act like any of the Bradys. However to be honest that is the anomaly! Days even cast an Aussie playing one of the Bradys from Ireland with an Aussie accent!Talk about miscasting.
- Then there's that time the demon took over for Deidre Hall when she was on hiatus. Who did they think they were fooling? You can't just throw a blonde wig onto any old spirit entity and transform them into Dr. Marlena Evans!
- [quote] I like Barbara Crampton.
She is signing autographs at Fan Expo this weekend in Toronto
- I like the gasp of the audience when Deidre tells Regis and what's her name that soon Marlena's eyes will become clear white which is "a sign of possession" - she says it like it's akin to having a common cold LOL
- I would be less inclined to play up the lack of lead-in for Days declining ratings.
At the time Days was #1 in the female demo, AW, Sunset Beach and Passions all followed Days at one time or another. And still had rock-bottom ratings.
- [quote] I like Barbara Crampton.
That makes about twelve people all together.
- Remember the Sami execution storyline? Here's an interview with Alison Sweeney from then.
- If you've seen any of those ghost shows, R318, the whole thing is pretty cut and dry. Young couple with a troubled marriage move into a new place. Husband works long hours to afford it, resents housewife. Housewife starts getting haunted, husband calls her a crazy bitch. Eventually he has experiences too, they reconcile, cue the Catholic priest or Native American Shaman. Either way, say prayers, sprinkle holy water and/or burn some sage and your done!
- [quote]That was part of the black sheep allure of Bo when Victor Kiriakis was supposed to be his dad.He didn't look or act like any of the Bradys. However to be honest that is the anomaly! Days even cast an Aussie playing one of the Bradys from Ireland with an Aussie accent!Talk about miscasting.
Yes, but Bo didn't look like Caroline or Victor either. And none of the other Brady kids looked remotely alike.
And what about Steve, Jack, and Adrienne? Although I can't remember if Jack shared the same father as Steve.
- R323 I had already said and you quoted this(about BO):He didn't look or act like any of the Bradys. Who happen to be are Caroline,Sean, Kim,Roman,Kayla etc so on!
- Sorry R324. We must have confused it with your other 900 posts on the soap threads today....
My point was that Bo also didn't look like Victor, who was supposed to be his biological father. I didn't mention that previosuly.
- And speaking of Jack. This was written about the character and I sort of found it funny how much the topic of rape does surround his character:
Jack has a dark family history of rape. In addition to being a rapist himself, his father and father-in-law are also rapists and his wife, ex-wife and sister have all been raped. Both he and his father-in-law were eventually forgiven by those they had raped, and his father-in-law even ended up marrying his victim.
- R327 with pedigree like that, no wonder JJ is screwed up.
- R325 Sorry Ken it's you isn't it? I thought that you happy enough nickel and diming your actors and crew!Don't be bitter "your show" is still on. Oh and sorry about outing you too.......
- The show just had an entire scene explaining the term "Dannifer". The show is reading our messages of hate!!!
- [quote]At the time Days was #1 in the female demo, AW, Sunset Beach and Passions all followed Days at one time or another. And still had rock-bottom ratings.
- How much do you think Days actors generally make now given their massive paycuts?
- Ken Corday dirt NOW! Is the guy a cheap bastard? What's with the hate?
- Ken Corday is not a cheap bastard. He is doing what he can to keep his show on the air. Eileen made a choice. Ken was more than willing to work with her. I don't think it's fair to beat up Ken in this instance.
- and you guys have to remember, they are out on their own now.
They no longer use NBC facilities and studios. So they don't have that infrastructure anymore.
- Ken is trashed all the time, for years now, and Eileen had and has nothing to do with it.
[quote]They no longer use NBC facilities and studios.
Where are they now?
- [quote]And what about Steve, Jack, and Adrienne? Although I can't remember if Jack shared the same father as Steve.[/quote].
Really? I always thought those three passed for siblings -- epsecially when you saw them with Jo. And yes, they all had the same father, Duke Johnson....who had dark brown hair, brown eyes and olive-skin.
- R337, no don't worry about it. It should be okay, just let it out...and make sure it don't stink
- R334 How much has Ken reduced his salary when the deep cuts began? Ken wanted Eileen back on Days for a long time BUT he didn't want to pay her Old and Rested salary. I mean just out of professional courtesy pay her what she was making on Y & R. Ken was courting ED not the other way around.Mind you Eileen didn't want to go back to Days and leave Old and Rested she wanted to do both.Maria Bell's stupidity and reluctance to share her with Days ended up with Eileen going to Days and having no choice but to take their offer.
One other thing Days had been shooting a 6 episode every five days before they would only shoot 15 days a month. So Corday was mindful of cutting the fat for awhile.
One more thing, NBC and Zucker were ready to pull the plug on Days back in 2009 so NBC(not doing well) is keeping it for the time being. The last straw might be when NBC wants to further reduce what they pay for the show. At that point Sony will probably throw in the towel and close up shop.There's so much fat you can cut before you cut into muscle.
- First of all R339, Ken was not courting Eileen. Eileen's arrival at Days was Sony. Sony made the deal, pulled the strings, and made everything happen. And if you don't believe me, it was well documented in the soap press. Sony decided that Days needed a shot in the arm via Kristen and they worked it out. The current shooting schedule works for Days, it didn't work for Eileen. Hopefully she'll be back. If not, life will go on. As for Ken's salary, I don't know what it is or care. He produces the show. The actors and crew have protections in place via unions.
- How much do the actors make? For example, how much was Chandler Massey making? How much is Deirdre Hall making? How much did she used to make?
- R339 is mostly full of shit in whatever she posts here.
- R340 No,no,no. Days wanted Eileen back before the Maria Bell/Sony debacle.There's a difference between the truth and what you read in the soap press. Trust me Ken wanted Eileen back and Sony helped facilitate that process. In other words, Sony wouldn't have foisted ED,Penghlis or anyone else on Ken. That request would have to have come from Ken.
R342 You are simply a clueless and ignorant cunt! You either are a hausfrau who doesn't have a life or a gay soap empress who thinks that Ms Brenda Dickson was tasteful.BTW I know someone who works at Sony, do you? Of course not. You're sitting in mom's basement fantasizing about Will when Will wouldn't take a look at you even if you paid him a gazillion dollars to!
- R320 Actually she(Barabara Crampton) has much many more fans than that,madame. She's known outside of the soap opera ghetto in the horror world. It might be a debased genre BUT soaps are the lowest in the entertainment world. Waitaminute you are the lowest in the enterainment world. You are worse than a carnival bunker. You are an opinionless,clueless cunt.
- R344 Babs was at Fan Expo this weekend in Toronto, and has a rabid fan base.
- DeeDee Hall is barely an extra on this show.
- R343 Sure you are. And I'm Marie of Romania.
You're the same lunatic who rants and raves over at the GH thread. Please eat a pile of shit.
- R345 No doubt. That clueless thing that posts doesn't know any better because they are totally ignorant of things in the outside world. BTW Crampton looks great in the nude. Those people in Hollywood knew how to really exploit her assets.....
R346 Suzanne Rogers has far more stature than Dee has now. Not to mention Peggy McKay.
- First, Y&R was dumping everyone from the roster last year, and Eileen was part of that. She was officially out of work there, and let it be known. If anything was going on behind the scenes, she didn't know it.
Story 1: Sony cancelled Eileen's contract personally because they felt that "Days" needed her more.
Story 2: Eileen dumped by Y&R, Ken Corday calls her to hire her in the aftermath.
Both of these stories cannot be correct, per the opening paragraph.
I guess we'll never know the truth.
I don't believe Sony would do a damn thing for Corday though, if he wanted her. He doesn't have that type of clout. "Days" wanted her in the mid-00s. Y&R would not spare her. If that show had a right to do what they wanted with her, how does Sony suddenly have the right to come in and decide everything?
- What was Eileen Davidson's relationship with Maria Arena Bell like?
- R349 Ken wanted ED back for some time. Ken does have clout with Sony otherwise they would have bought him out AND hired another producer.Ken is involved in almost every facet of the show from production to even doing music on the show himself!Sony finally had a meeting with Eileen to see if she would do both shows. She said yes but then Y & R producer said no. Sony used a Gordian knot solution and fired her from Y & R so that she could do Days.
The first scenario you posted is what happened.If Maria Bell had played ball with Sony, ED would have been on both soaps instead she was obstinate.When Eileen did that guest appearance on Y & R this year, Ken was OK with it and Sony made it happen.So to Ken's credit he might be aware of every single penny that is spent(even more than Frank Valentini at GH)but he hasn't been like a Maria Bell who cut her nose to spite her face. Many of the actors at Days have bought into the on time and on budget philosophy there.
- Ken still says he had very little say in what the show does. lol
Ken wanted Eileen back for years. Why then did Sony wait until all these years later to cut a deal on his behalf? That doesn't make sense. It reads more that it was a business decision, not a favor to Corday.
Why did Eileen make public statements about losing her job and her childcare, and then later talked about feeling free without having a job? She really sounds oblivious to whatever was going on. She was actually still ticked and dumbfounded by all these idiots who run the show saying that they didn't want her to leave, and that they were the reason she returned to the show to begin with. She said that she had heard the exact opposite about them.
If Maria Arena Bell had been with Y&R now, do you think Eileen would have had a better to return today? That tweet by one of tptb saying that they were dedicating "Come On Eileen" at a party sounded like they were indicating their desire to have her back. Soap Opera Digest is basically now saying that Eileen Davidson does not want to work, and she wouldn't take a meeting with Y&R even if you begged her to.
Since Sony says that they made the decision to put her on Days because Days needed her more, if she wants to return to work, work on one of their shows, would they even allow her back at Y&R? She did what she was to do contract wise, but they are still going to want her at Days, period. Would they even consider her for Y&R now? What if Y&R wanted her back personally. Would Sony stand in their way?
- Regardless of who's right and who's wrong, I wouldn't believe much of what Ken Corday says.
He likes to have Sony and/or NBC be the fall guy, but he makes a lot of decisions - a lot of bad ones.
Before DAYS' recent few years on the upswing, there would be a quarterly/semiannual article about "Saving DAYS" in Digest. He'd try something, and then shake everything up six months later if it wasn't working.
[quote] Soap Opera Digest is basically now saying that Eileen Davidson does not want to work, and she wouldn't take a meeting with Y&R even if you begged her to.
ED wants a break, she's made that super clear. I'm sure in six months or a year she'll probably think about one show or the other. But I also think she knows she can't do the 7 shows in 5 days pace anymore.
- R353 True. Ken has taken some risks that have worked and some that haven't.He still runs things there for better or worse. Yes, ED left because she was burned out. As for Old and Rested,Angelica McDaniel at CBS likes ED BUT JFP could give a shit. She was hired by Sony to cut the budget. The best they could give ED at this point is recurring and maybe not even that! BTW TPTB at Old and Rested knew she wasn't renewing with Days why didn't they pursue her back in March?
Reb if that's you thanks for the comment.
R352 That's a bunch of bull(about Ken's non-involvement). Ken is involved in every facet of the show. Including enticing people back. Ken had wanted Eileen back for years but Y & R took precedence. A favor to Ken? They wanted ED back to regain market share/up the demos etc so on. So for Ken it is a business decision and always has been.At this point, the people at Sony saw that Days needed a jolt ratings wise. They felt that ED would provide that.
If ED wanted back at Y & R she would have to do Days as well.It's not so much that Sony would stand in her way per se but rather ED would have to return to Days as well.
- This thread is a tedious mess and "The Old and the Rested" queen is the source of it all. Put a cork in it, hon.
- Eileen was fired from Y&R by Lynn Marie Latham back in 2006 and went to B&B for a year or so.
If Ken Corday wanted Eileen so bad for years, why didn't he take that opportunity to grab her? EJ was already a part of the show at that point, so Susan and/or Kristen would have fit onto the canvas easily.
There was much speculation in the soap press at that time that she would go back to Days, but Eileen stated repeatedly that Days never contacted her. So, when Brad Bell did contact her about bringing Ashley to B&B, she jumped at the chance.
- Why do these threads always turn into boring discussions about behind-the-scenes bullshit. Honestly, who cares? Some here know more about the actors and actresses private lives than the stars' families do!
There are some people who just watch these shows for the entertainment value alone. Most viewers could care less about the behind-the-scenes drama.
I for one could give a flying fuck about ED, I don't enjoy her as actress let alone the Kristen character, I don't care whether she leaves, stays or comes back. I try to ignore her scenes.
I never found I needed to know what goes on behind-the-scenes as being an important aspect to enjoy these shows, Who cares about knowing every minute detail about the producers, writers and casts private lives.
- R355 One of Ken's lackies at it again! Or is that same old troll going at it from his work computer? No matter he's an odious Old and The Rested queen and for that he shall be eternally loathed! Touche' oh and up yours hon.....
R356 B & B is not owned by Sony. That whole Eileen getting dumped from Y & R mess was quickly resolved when Brad Bell brought her on.Ken didn't have a chance to even go after her full throttle.Corday's pursuit of ED happened after all that when she went back to Sony's Old and The Rested.
R357 You never cared if Depp was a bottom or not? Or if Will Smith was topped by Eddie Murphy. Well then you must be in the 1 percent of the people who post here on datalounge.
If you don't like Eileen fine, that's your opinion.The fact that she came one helped this soap ratings wise. Without her the show stands a much greater chance of cancellation.
So who do you like Sami,EJ? Daniel and Jennifer?
- R341, Chandler was making between $1500-$1750 an episode with a 3 episode a week guarantee. In her hey day, Dee was one of the highest paid actors in daytime, making well over 7 figures. She currently makes in the $7500 an episode range with a one day a week guarantee.
Someone like Casey Moss makes $1000, which is slightly above scale. Jen Lilly, who had some previous soap experience is probably in the $1250 range.
Ariane Zucker, James Scott, Shawn Christian, Eric Martsolf, Galen Gering, and Gregg Vaughn are in the $3000 - $3500 an episode group. Each with a 3 or 4 day week guarantee.
Then you have your next group, Missy Reeves and Kristian Alfonso who are probably somewhere between $5000 and $7000 an episode. Eileen Davidson is probably in this group as well.
The highest paid is Ali Sweeney who gets between $8000 and $9000 an episode.
- R359 when she was being sued by Corday in 1996, he revealed Reeves was making in excess of $500,000.00 a year.
- Eileen Davidson was making around 1.5 million when she was fired from Y & R and was making less per episode on Days.
Someone in my family knew a P and G soap actress who has become a film actress. It was a big deal that she was getting paid 600 dollars per show. Even still these salaries are not what they were a few years back.
- An actor in the 50-80 range was given an opportunity to help out budgeting issues on the show and now will be appearing infrequently as a day player - no lines, but to fill in the background when other scenes are going on at the forefront. She'll be the woman walking back and forth for hours through Horton Square while Abby is flirting with some guy, the anonymous woman sitting at Brady Pub drinking a never ending cup of coffee, etc. He/she will receive $50 a day.
- I'm not surprised at that move, especially at that price. Days has a dearth of background people as it is ,may she be the lone background artiste?!;)
- Preview 8/26 - New jail outfit for Sami
- [quote] This thread is a tedious mess and "The Old and the Rested" queen is the source of it all. Put a cork in it, hon.
Thanks, R355. She's posted 7 of every 10 comments. She thinks saying "Old and Rested" is high-larious but no one is remotely amused.
(However, say "Lady Geary" to her in the GH thread and watch her lose her SHIT!)
- R361 I hate Carolyn Hinsey, but her book did have a helpful listing of what the union minimums were for most performers and shows.
Many shows got around that by putting actors on recurring.
Really, the shows are back to the way they were in the 50s and 60. The difference then was that it was easy to only have 8-10 contract players because shows were 30 minutes. To run an hour show with 15 contract players is a bit more difficult.
(Though most hour shows now only have 36 minutes of actual air time, which helps some of that. Far less than the 42-45 minutes in the 80s and 90s.)
- Who would have ever thought that sweet Jennifer would be called a slut? And by her son nonetheless?
I don't know... maybe Scott Reeves?
- She is a slut, but not a very good one. She could only get about half of my ten incher in her mouth.....
- “I say!” murmured Horton. “I’ve never heard tell of a small speck of dust that is able to yell.
So you know what I think?... Why, I think that there must be someone on top of that small
speck of dust! Some sort of a creature of very small size, too small to be seen by an elephant’s eyes...
- LOL @ R368
- R361 What do top daytime stars make? I'm pretty uninformed on that.
If I heard correctly, a reporter said Mariska Hargitay is now making $400,000 per episode for SVU.
I'm a gay guy and love her and the show but that's a fuck of a lot of money.
- R361 Sorry, but Eileen hadn't been making 1.5 million at Y&R anytime in the last decade or so.
The top paid actor at Y&R was (and likely still is) Eric Braeden and when he left briefly a few years back (in 2009) he was at a million, as was Melody Thomas Scott. They both agreed to pay cuts that brought them under a million a year.
Both Eric and Melody fought the cuts, and maybe made out better for it, but they did cut to under a mil a year. Most other contract players at Y&R are probably in the 200K a year or less range.
Eileen might have made 1.5 mil in the 80s or 90s, but she hasn't made that kind of money recently at Y&R - at least since she went over to B&B and then came back.
Y&R *is* number one and may pay a bit more, but not THAT much more.
- [quote]Eileen Davidson was making around 1.5 million when she was fired from Y & R and was making less per episode on Days.
1.5 a year? For how many episodes?
They get contracted for a number of episodes, right?
- Eileen Davidson made six figures, not over a million.
- [quote]Most other contract players at Y&R are probably in the 200K a year or less range.
Holy shit! What was Eileen getting when she was on recurring? That's just insane. You might as well get an office job.
Eileen has a mansion that she's going to have to sell now. She said that she doesn't want to work just to support a lifestyle. How could she keep a place like that for only 200k a year?!
I wonder how much Deidre Hall pulls in from the show. No wonder she has all her product lines.
Now I know why these people do all those tacky fan events. I'll never look down my nose at them ever again!
- The 80s, early 90s was the heyday when Soaps Stars were pulling in the big bucks.
- [quote]If ED wanted back at Y & R she would have to do Days as well.It's not so much that Sony would stand in her way per se but rather ED would have to return to Days as well.
Wouldn't they be standing in her way though? They would be demanding that if she wanted to return to Y&R, she'd have no choice but to also do Days.
We do believe that this would in fact be the deal, right? I mean, if it was all Ken's doing, wanting Eileen back, if he wasn't after her once it was out there that she wanted to work again, Sony would let her back on Y&R without a demand for Days?
This is actually interesting, how they shows work now.
BTW, someone said that the show no longer uses NBC Studios for Days tapings?
- Eileen's big article/interview last week in Soap Opera Digest at link.
- I'm kinda into the idea of Lucas being re-cast in the role of Will. I mean.. he sorta looks like the first (second?) Will before Chandler Massey. It wouldn't be too far fetched. IMO a Will would have a darker complexion and have brown eyes.. not blue eyes and blond hair. In all seriousness Chandler Massey was a horrible casting choice. Anyway.. Lucas even sorta looks like Will's dad.. he could definitely pass for their child. Lucas has been acting before, he's cute, and he's young, about Will's age.
The things working against him is that he's kinda queeny. If he's able to tone that down a bit, I think he'd work well in the role. He's also just come out of a kids show. He's been on Nick. I'm not sure if he'd be bold enough to branch out and play a gay character. I sorta don't see it happening. But you never know..
- Who the hell braided Sami's hair in prison?
- Some soap stars have made good investments and have or had side businesses. Some soap actresses are married to men with high paying careers. I can't remember which actress it was, but I recall there was a soap actress married to a CEO of a major corporation.
- The only people making $200K are first year newbies making $1000 an episode. A veteran soap performer makes anywhere from $500K to $900K annually. A select group makes over a million, but it's not a big group.
- R365 Other people have used Old and The Rested as well. So you are wrong.It's about sarcasm something which evades you totally. You went to all that trouble to figure out that I don't like you calling Geary a woman? You really need to get a life. What's unamusing about that is the silly tendency of some gay men who feminize males in order to sound clever. You sound like someone who watches Mame on an endless loop instead!
And for Y & R it's become so boring, such a snoozefest. It's unwatchable.Then again Bland and Boring is only a half hour and that one is unwatchable as well!
Days still shoots at the (old name) NBC Burbank studios and has no plans to move. Sony wanted them to move into one of their studios when NBC sold the Burbank studios but they are staying put for now. I had read somewhere that they were moving but someone at both Sony and Days has claimed otherwise.
- No soap actor/actress is making 1mil or more a year anymore even LaLucci towards the end of AMC had stopped making that amount of money.
- I didn't think anyone made that type of money. Especially on Days.
- R385 Supposedly Eric Braeden is making a million a year at Old and Rested. Sony wanted him to take 500,000 and he basically said one mill or nothing.
- Chandler Massey said that he taped his lines to Freddie Smith's forehead. lol. Apparently, the younger cast has their lines hidden around the set. Oh, and Chandler tugs Freddie's ears because he hates it. No wonder they despise one another.
- It's his ears he tugs? Are you sure?
- [quote]You never cared if Depp was a bottom or not? Or if Will Smith was topped by Eddie Murphy. Well then you must be in the 1 percent of the people who post here on datalounge. If you don't like Eileen fine, that's your opinion. The fact that she came one helped this soap ratings wise. Without her the show stands a much greater chance of cancellation. So who do you like Sami,EJ? Daniel and Jennifer?
My point was, I can actually enjoy this show without caring about the actors and actresses private lives or finances. Or any other behind the scenes drama. Though, when an actor, or actress, is monumentally awful, I do wonder who they are fucking.
I've never put any soap actor or actress in the same league as film actors and actresses. I would care more about Depp's personal life than say Deidre Hall's or the model who plays J.J. I am actually more interested in musician's personal lives than actors and actresses.
Why ask who my faves on DOOL are? I not one of those rabid fans who goes to a soap's meet and greets! I don't care which characters are the most popular. A lot of the cast I enjoyed are long gone or dead.
Sami? I don't see what EJ sees in her, he seems educated and sophisticated. Sami is an airhead. When they are not fucking what do they talk about? Like Kristen and Brady, their relationship seems solely about their sexual attraction.
It's bizarre how Sami became the show's focus. The Daniel, Jennifer and J.J. story line is laughable. I want J.J. to get involved with some very dangerous people, then I will become interested in that jerk. Right now he's repetitious and not at all interesting.
I would have liked to see the Vargas character stay and him possibly getting involved with Theresa. They could have been the new low level crime duo. Vargas had an edge and the actor was sexy. It would have been funny had Vargas and Theresa screwed over J.J. on a big drug deal, would J.J. have whined to mommy?
Salem is filled with wealthy and upper middle class people. I guess there is no diversity in Salem?
- What kind of place is the Salem prison given Sami's hair and wardrobe changes?
- The subpoenas in "Days" have "State of California" written on them.
- back in the day, that would have been caught; today, there's no time -- and sadly, very few care.
- This is the only acceptable Soap thread.
- Did you catch the guy standing over the bed next to Eileen and Greg in their sex scene? It's really creepy. You see two long legs in black pants. It's obviously the cameraman, and what's worse, they showed it again a few weeks later. Fans tweeted Eileen about it, and she was shocked and found it hilarious. What's really strange is that she didn't even seem to remember the person standing there. I think they shoot so fast, they can't even remember what they did on the show. She said that she and Eric Martsolf did one sex scene after the next in one day for a whole load of different episodes.
- Eileen's back on Y&R for a visit in October it was just confirmed.
- Soaps In Depth's web site. Can't seem to link on my phone.
- She'll be in three episodes in October.
- 3 days work, either she's desperate for the money or JFP felt generous this week! Say what you want about Days they at least wrote a juicy part for her. As Ashley she is more like a Bell zombie more than anything else.
- She is desperate for money and a break. She's dumping shit out of her house because she has to sell because she can no longer afford it not working. It's obvious that she just wants a paycheck. It could be the most boring role on the planet. Watch her win for Days next year. She's really going to feel stupid for leaving then. Three days is strange. That was either their decision or hers.
- Breaking: Jean Passanante Leaving GH To Be Named New Co-Head Writer at Y&R
Is his why Eileen's returning?
- R402 I can tell you she's(Jean) leaving because Cartooni is destroying Generic Hospital though.
ED doing story arcs on Days and recurring episodes on Y & R wouldn't be a surprise to me at all.I can't see JFP signing her to a contract. Days again yes, Old and The Rested no. Because when ED leaves there is a good chance that Days becomes Dulls of Our Lives again...
Josh Griffith wanted to write for ED and ED came back to do those episodes for the millionth wedding between the stripper and the Canadian born millionaire with a heavy German accent!
- No one is making a million a year in soaps anymore.
Braeden was. They asked him to go from a mil to 500K in 2009 and he said no. He settled for *some* kind of cut from a mil, but it wasn't half. He's probably making 600-800K.
I can't stand him and have no idea why everyone loves him, but apparently they thought he was worth that.
Most of these actors now, the old timers and the front burner ones, are somewhere between 150K - 300K a year. This is a lot less than the 80s, 90s and even early 2000s.
These cuts are the reasons why Ronn Moss (B&B) and Peter Reckell (DAYS) left. In both cases the pay cut they were asked to take was more than they were willing to accept.
- Questionable story has Farrah A from Teen Mom coming to DAYS....
- When is Kimberlin Brown coming back as Sheila? Those soaps are nothing without her.
- Is Jean Passanante not the one wrote the train death of Dr. Reid?
- What was Mr Bell Senior's obsession with women drugging men and getting themselves pregnant? Did that happen to him as a young man?
- [quote] Is Jean Passanante not the one wrote the train death of Dr. Reid?
Yes, she drove ATWT into the ground.
- Shirtless Father Eric on Wednesday's episode and having an erotic dream too!
- Father Eric was dreaming about the day that Krispy Kritter Kristen drugged him, then fucked him and filmed it, all in the name of Kristen getting back at Marlena.
I guess you missed that episode? Kristen never showed the video to Marlena because Brady took her back.
Eric doesn't actually remember what wacko Kristen did to him, the drug was supposed to surpress any memories of the encounter. My guess is, he inevitably will remember he fucked old bag Kristen, then that will be one of the reasons why Kristen leaves Salem.
Kristen still has the video of their encounter on a flash drive in her handbag. She'll probably drop the drive somewhere, Marlena, Nicole or Eric will probably find it, then all hell will break loose.
- I just read that they fired Chandler Massey early because they had already hired a replacement for him.. is this true? Do you guys know who it is? I'm just curious :)
- [quote]The subpoenas in "Days" have "State of California" written on them.
Look again. It clearly says Salem, USA.
I caught it on my 55" HD tv...
- Missy Reeves and the guy who plays Daniel are so cute together. Missy should not be playing the mother of that ugly Abby - why don't they replace her? Abby looks slutty while Jen is an angel.
- Melissa Reeves looks like a woman in her fifties in HD close-up shots.
- [quote]Missy Reeves and the guy who plays Daniel are so cute together.
OMFG!!! They have A FAN!!!!
- Thanks for the link, R413. But do we know who's replaced him? Any news on the new actor? Just wondering.
- The name of the actor hired as the replacement has not been released. Any rumors to the contrary are not credible.
- ONE fan! Wow! Hello, Scott.
- The new Will is John-Paul Seponski
- R404 Eric is very prideful. There's no way he would take close to 500,000.The real figure is either a million or close to it. Alison Sweeney is not making a mill? Tony Geary is not making a mill? I find that very hard to believe.
R415 Abby is not ugly she's cute,she's doable. Dannifer? They are unfabulous together. Bring back cuntbag Chloe or let Nicole and Kristen double team the man, Jen is so boring with him.
- I didn't know this thread existed. Looks interesting. I guess I'll take the time to go back and read it.
- It's cool how Days has two concurrent threads on DL right now.
- Abby is definitely attractive. Great hair, eyes and a very toned body (verging on too skinny, but she's a young actress so it's about typical). And even better, Mansi is a good actress. She does wonders with the crap material she's gotten.
- [quote]Look again. It clearly says Salem, USA. I caught it on my 55" HD tv...
Take a look.
- "Teen Mom-Turned-Porn Star Farrah Abraham Lands Role on Days Of Our Lives"
No, not a joke.
- What is on Shawn Christian's head? Wig? Dead animal? Really, really bad styling?
- Would EJ's 13x8.5 fit through a Horton donut hole?
- Mine would.
- "Teen Mom" thing was wrong. Soap Opera Digest reported false shit AGAIN.
- Shawn's speaking voice = Drake Hogestyn's. Did people get lung cancer on that show?
- "Days" moving to Noon in CT & Philly...banished to 3AM time slot in Utah
CONNECTICUT & PHILADELPHIA "DAYS" FANS..."DAYS" MOVING TO NOON AS OF SEPTEMBER 9...SALT LAKE CITY MOVING "DAYS" TO...3AM?!?!
WVIT, the NBC affiliate in Hartford, Connecticut is moving the time slot of "Days of Our Lives" to Noon beginning Monday, September 9. WKYW, the NBC affiliate in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is also switching "Days" to the Noon time slot as of September 9.
KSL, the Mormon Church-owned NBC affiliate in Salt Lake City, Utah is banishing "Days" to the unbelievable time slot of 3:05-4:05AM beginning September 9. "Days" fans who live in Utah probably won't be watching the show live much anymore (except for some very late night owls!), but you can always tape the show and watch it later or catch it on NBC.com or Hulu.com
- Fuck KSL. They didn't give a shit when straight people were boinking but now that a gay couple is fucking it's not OK. Not to mention Kristen is the biggest drag queen in the history of soaps!
Some of these NBC affiliates look like they are trying to kill this soap before NBC cancels it. What fuckheads.
- This show is getting super, super boring. The Sami jail scenes are always very good though...Alison Sweeney is a phenomenal television actress. She can make even the most bizarre, unrealistic scenes seem somehow totally relatable.
This show is always good for about 6 months a year and then it gets very slow.
Most interesting actors to watch on this series right now: Nicole, Sami, Abby, Sonny, Lexi's brother (the stripper doctor, forget his name), Kate, Kayla, Adrienne, Justin, Jennifer, Theresa, and that chick from Legally Blonde who is the head of HR at the hospital. I dislike the Jennifer actress for her personal views but I always feel as though she's able to bring it 100% in every line, evoking the emotion that the character would be experiencing in a realistic, effective way. Contrast her acting with, say, Drake or Will, who will just smile, smirk or in Drake's case, grimace, while leaning their head to one side while delivering their lines.
The most boring Days actors to watch right now: CHAD (absolutely awful), Daniel, Daniel's monkey baby, Will, Kristen, JJ, JJ's stoner friends, Brady, Stephano.
It's funny that a lot of actors that I'm not enjoying watching are leaving.
- [quote] Eric is very prideful. There's no way he would take close to 500,000.The real figure is either a million or close to it. Alison Sweeney is not making a mill? Tony Geary is not making a mill? I find that very hard to believe.
Do you understand how significantly the budgets were cut for all of these shows?
This started back in 2007-2008 with Guiding Light. When it went to its digital camera thing, its budget was something like 40 percent of what it had been. NOT cut 40 percent, but cut 60 percent to leave 40.
When DAYS is renewed by NBC, they have to agree on a number they can bring the show in at. They've cut across the board - in crew, in sets, etc. But probably the biggest part of the budget is cast, and they have had to cut that deep.
Alison and James Scott are probably highest paid on DAYS, but no, they aren't making a mil. They are possibly in the 400K-500K range, or as in Ali's case, there are generous outs to do other projects.
Braeden isn't making a million. He didn't accept that earlier paycut, but he quietly renewed this time and while he may be near or at the top of Y&R's pay scale, he's not at a mil.
And I don't think Geary's at a mill. He may be at a rate that would equal a mill at 12 months, but he works seven months of the year, so he's obviously negotiated for perks.
What's lost on a lot of fans who think this is all about fame and money is that soaps are one of the few, if not THE LAST, steady year round job actors can have. They're easier to break into than prime time, and you can keep a soap job for years. As a result, many of the actors have accepted substantial pay cuts.
I mean, think of it this way: Say you were an actor at DAYS making 300K a year. You're told that your salary must be cut to 225K a year. Do you take 75% of what you had, or all of NOTHING? If you want to eat and pay bills, you stay with the steady gig. It beats being third fry cook from the left at Bubba Gump's.
- [quote] Would EJ's 13x8.5 fit through a Horton donut hole?
I've got a hole he can fit into!
- R436 Is this the Antoinette Lady Geary troll again?! I don't think there have been budget cuts on soaps I know it as a fact. It's a reality of the business. When Days goes dark for one week a month that tells you enough you need to know. Or even Y & R shooting 4 days a week. Something tells me that Sony would love for Y & R to shoot more like Days and go dark once a week.
I've talked about GL before on DL. The idea was to cut costs considerably and Wheeler did. By that time the show was on its last legs.
Why do you think ABC moved AMC to LA? So all the actors could get suntans? They wanted to cut costs dramatically instead they were still going over time and over budget.
Alison is making just 500,000? You know that as a fact or is that conjecture? No matter how low the budget is, she is the star of the show. Ken and Sony wouldn't nickel and dime AS being that she is important to the NBC brand.
Braeden would leave that soap if they paid him like a "relative mid level person." It's not like he's broke. Yes the industry changed blah,blah blah, Eric hasn't though to his credit. Deutschland ueber Alles indeed!
As per Geary, I still believe he's making a mill there. Though some of the other old timers are making peanuts in this new soap economy.
As per the comment about soap actors, that's an absolute fait accompli. Yes there was always less money in soaps relative to prime time and features but it was a steady paycheck.As Eileen Davidson herself admitted the money ain't what it was like it was years ago.
- Alison is 4th in seniority at Days.
- If you think that Rogers,McKay and whoever else is getting paid more than Sweeney, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn! I'm not an Alison fan by any means BUT the supercouple on that show is EJ and Sami, love or hate it.The hausfraus eat up that couple like you wouldn't believe. Add insult to injury that Alison is know from the Biggest Loser.Alison doesn't look like some of the soap divas of the past BUT when Ed Scott let her write her own lines you knew the woman knew she was one! Until all that stopped.....
- [quote]The most boring Days actors to watch right now: CHAD (absolutely awful), Daniel, Daniel's monkey baby, Will, Kristen, JJ, JJ's stoner friends, Brady, Stephano.
The fact that you spell his name "Stephano," and think that Alison Sweeney is some phenomenal actress, makes your analysis completely irrelevant. Good day, sir or madam!
- NBC licenses Days for about $45,000,000 a year. You better believe that Ali Sweeney is making well over a million dollars a year. There is nothing worse than when people who have no clue about shit, post as if they do. No, soap salaries are not what they were, but there are still some high earners in the genre. Sweeney, Bernard, Burton at YR, Braeden, Bergman, Howarth, Wright, Monaco at GH. And high earners are defined as people making $750,000 to over a million annually. The thing about soap salaries is, every soap has a few superstar salaries than are offset by the newbie salaries, actors making scale to $1000 an episode. For instance, a one day quarantee for Ali Sweeney equals the one day salaries (in total) for Chandler, Casey, Casey, Camilla, Mansi, Nathan.
- [quote]Alison is 4th in seniority at Days.
Nope. The show revolves around her schedule. That's been known for years, and was discussed again after Eileen Davidson essentially let the cat out of the bag. Alison has Ken Corday in her back pocket. He won't shut up about her. She has a second show she hosts, how much money does she possibly need??! EJ and Sami have the biggest following. It's insane.
I'll bet you this new Will is getting paid peanuts. I wonder how much Chandler was bringing in a year.
I like how fans have called out the Mormon-owned affiliate for trying to shove the show off the schedule due to their homophobia. "Days" has made an impact on Middle America and its view of gays with the older, and more conservative viewers, believe it or not.
As much as July and August seem to lull instantly, I've still be able to sit and watch it without FF. However, I have FF through sex scenes. If it ain't Will and Sonny, I don't want to watch that. "Days" is really overdoing it with those scenes now too. Critics have picked up on it.
I really wish they would bring out Will and Sonny merchandise (calendars, books). It's been a missed opportunity.
This week's upcoming SOD has photos of the cast when they were young in school. Some of them are hilarious. Casey Moss said he was depants, underwear and all in gym class.
- r442, how much do you think Chandler and Freddie are making a year? BTW, they get a guarantee of how many episodes they'll appear in beforehand, right?
- Based on what we've seen, Chandler had a 2/2.5 day/week guarantee and Sonny had a 2 day a week guarantee tops. Freaking Allison Sweeney has a 3.5/4 day guarantee. AS' one day salary probably pays off all the recurring characters for a month. Sadly.
These guarantees are the reason you had a heavy Nick storyline for months and then you stopped seeing him for the longest time. Probably same reason why we hardly see Wilson since they were seen so often in that storyline (which was really all about Sami and Nick, Wilson were supporting characters on that sl. It didn't help that Chandler could hardly muster up energy in those critical Nick scenes).
- I haven't been following this thread at all but what's happening with Tim Horton's Donuts? Their coffee isn't bad but the donuts themselves are pretty mediocre.
- Chandler is probably making about $1250 to $1500 an episode with a 2 or 3 day a week guarantee. Freddie is probably around $1000 an episode with a 2 day guarantee. The key for most soaps these days is to not allow an actor to go over his/her guarantee. If you play an actor heavy in a story during one cycle, you need to make it up in the next cycle or somewhere down the line.
- Why so much Nick?
I wonder how much Eileen was making. She asked for more work to make up for the paycut she was taking. Never heard anything like that before. I guessing she was asking for a greater guarantee? They tally every actor's episode count. Eileen has been #1 for nearly the entire time she's been on. She's been on more than Alison every month.
Why didn't they put the younger cast on recurring or something?
We're still seeing Wilson A LOT. Granted, this stupid jail storyline has taken a lot of time, but Will and Sonny are see every week. Their characters are essential to the show's success. Without them, EJ and Sami, the show has nothing. Do you think Dannifer could carry a show? lmao. I'm really hating myself for not hating Jennifer these days. Casey Moss isn't half bad. I'm still not sold on Jen Lilley though.
- Sorry, R441, as I am not a deaf old curmudgeon like you, I do not require the use of closed captioning, thus I am blissfully ignorant of the correct spelling of Stefano/Stephano DiMera. Who gives a shit, really? Sorry for putting such a damper in your day. Go eat a donut!
- r449 = Ali Sweeney.
- How would Al Sweeney not know how to spell Stefano properly? Please forgive me for saying she's a good actress...obviously you dislike her. That's okay!
- There's a tape where Casey, Blake, Freddie and Chandler strip down and jerk off onto a doughnut. The loser has to eat the cum glazed doughnut. But before anyone can shoot onto it, Chandler gets on his knees in the middle of the group and it turns into a bukakke scene.
Later, Missy Reeves walks into the scene, finds the doughnut, shrugs, picks it up and takes a bite. She makes a face, reaches into her mouth and pulls out a long nasty pube. She wretches and runs off. The actor who plays JJ watches from the shadows, laughing.
This tape will become public at a future date. Critics will hail it as the most engrossing Days story in years, and Daytime Emmys ensue.
- R448 Jen Lilley is gorgeous and she's plays a great cunt. I can't wait to see her when Kim comes back. Maybe Aunt Kayla might have to treat Theresa over a cat fight or two......
- R441 I'm not an Alison fan by any means BUT she ain't Drake Hogestyn or Ron Moss bad darling! Alison has certain limitations as an actress(that's putting it lightly) and she plays pretty well within those parameters.
- Re: Nick. Blake Berris was a well liked actor even when the show decided to DESTROY his character to prop Melanie and the hated Daniel. Nick was made to do things he would not have done before just so that his gf Chelsea could hook up with Daniel and to bring in Melanie and give her some story. B/c he did such a great job in humanizing Nick, the fans continued to root for him.
Fans were happy Blake/Nick returned but his return was for 26 weeks and if his character worked well tptb would keep him for a year (accd to Blake). The year is up and tptb gave Blake another contract.
Nick's prison story was to give Wilson something to do (since these idiots can't think of anything for Wilson but to give outside angst). Seems that it was also a way to make sure Sami tied to the SL since it was Will getting a girl pregnant and said girl hooking up with his cray cousin. TPTB worked the Nick character and then b/c Blake would have to be paid extra for doing more shows than his guarantee he was backburned. That's why we have not gotten Nick's rape story's aftermath. Now they brought Nick back to give Wilson a little more grief and MAYBE to guide Gabi out when Camila leaves. Problem is that Blake is the best young actor on the show so they should be working to keep him on the canvas. They won't do that since they think that Daniel and EJ are the one's who carry the male characters.
Some Wilson fans don't like Nick but most everyone appreciates Blake's talent and his ability to make story interesting thus many people like him on canvas...if he were ever allowed to work a few days.
- "Their (sonny and will) characters are essential to the show's success. Without them, EJ and Sami, the show has nothing. Do you think Dannifer could carry a show?"
It's not what we as fans think it's what Sony and TomSell thinks and based on the crap we are seeing onscreen these dumb motherfuckers think that's who is carrying the show. Besides idiot Corday's constant squaking (he did it recently) saying that Sami is the most important person on the show and that goes for EJami. I don't think he even mentioned that Wilson is important...that's the problem, the show runners don't seem to live on the same planet some of the fans live in. Also, online fans are probably a different animal from regular fans. Apparently, SC and Dannifer have FB fanatics and score well (yes it beats me how that could even be remotely true) outside of the snarky message boards.
- Nick is going back to torturing Will and Sonny now.
Jen Lilley is a fundie cunt. Her and Missy Reeves must have Bible study on-set.
- Ali is a good actress.
- Jen maybe religious, but where have you ever seen her push a bunch of religious shit on people. There is a difference between being religious and being a push religious person.
- Isn't Jen L. a hag for all those gaggle of Days young actors? All those guys (Chandler, Blake, Casey, Nathan) seem very liberal/non traditional so I can't see her pushing her Christianity when she's surrounded by actors.
BTW a fan asked during the Chicago meet and great about same sex kissing. Chandler said that kissing guys onscreen made him less picky when it comes to girls. He said that same sex onscreen kissing was awkward. Jen L said she doesn't think she would feel comfortable doing it onscreen but she didn't say anything homophobic in regards to it.
- She was tweeting for Chick Fil A during that nonsense.
She probably wants to mouth off, but knows that people will just remind her that her mouth used to be stuffed with Jason Brooks ample sizemeat.
What do soap actors do when they aren't working anymore? Like, where does John Black go? Do they have enough stashed away to live off of for an extended period of time?
- The chick who plays Anna DiMera (Carrie's mother) is a funeral planner at a Hollywood cemetery. i believe I read on here that Judi Evans does something similar.
- JP Levalor is 33 years old .... might be a bit old to play Will
- [quote]Missy Reeves and the guy who plays Daniel are so cute together. Missy should not be playing the mother of that ugly Abby - why don't they replace her? Abby looks slutty while Jen is an angel.
This has got to be a parody post.
The Daniel and Jennifer relationship is mostly despised, especially Daniel.
Jen is routinely called "a bad mother" and "a slut" by a lot of the people posting at most DOOL forums. Daniel is usually called "a smelly pig". I have to wonder about the median age of the people who post this stuff. They sure do have a lot of free time on their hands. I watch DOOL, but don't get involved to the level some of these people do, some act of if these characters are real.
AS for Abby, she seems like the only voice of reason in Jen's wacky family! Abby is surely more of an adult than her obnoxious drug dealing always pouting brother J.J.!
From the the opinions about some of the characters posted on the DOOL forums, it seems as if there are a lot of close minded people and possibly Born Again Christ-Stains posting on these forums. Their views re some characters are extreme and laughable.
Daniel is constantly slammed because he fucked a lot of women, others are also calling Jennifer the Slut of Salem or something equally juvenile. Jennifer is blamed for her piece of shit son J.J.'s drug use.
I guess Jen's schmuck husband Jack doesn't share the blame for that nasty piece of work J.J.? According to these freaky fans, parenting seems to be the sole responsibility of one parent.
Meanwhile, these are the same DOOL fans who adore and worship that lunatic Kristen, they see her actions as perfectly normal, they find her "delicious". As someone else said here, Kristen looks like a drag queen, I guess viewers from Middle America are clueless.
- JJ is the only one in that family that seems to be liked, and that's b/c he speaks for the fans when he badmouths Daniel.
Abby is such a Daniel propper that it has turned off a lot of people who hate the Dan/Jen pairing.
JJ is just a kid who is suffering b/c his dad died and NO one in his family has spoken to him or understood where his rage comes from. His momma hooked up with dirtbag Daniel and is only thinking of that relationship. Abby seems to have forgotten her dad. JJ at least seems to be the child of Jack D. He can be a little jerk at times but there are reasons for it and he defends him mom and sister even when they act as if he should be 'over' his dad's death.
Days made a mistake by not milking drama from Abby feeling guilty about her dad's death or at least deal with this realistically instead of pairing Dannifer together two days after the funeral. It makes all of them look bad.
- Any pics of any of the guys in flip-flops?
- Daniel seems to be universally hated. I wasn't watching when he started, but he can seem to do no right with the fans. Apparently because he slept with a lot of women. I agree about the Jennifer and Daniel power, however. They both deserve other partners. For some reason Sony doesn't like the Jack character because he's always fired, maybe it's Matt Ashford. I love JJ, he really is a mini Jack. People forget but Jack was douchey and schemely just like JJ.
- Daniel and Jennifer have legions of frau fans on Facebook so it's no wonder Days is shoving this couple down the viewers' throats. They also hate JJ. How fucking lonely are these women?
- Dannifer only has fans on FB. Also they are the only ones who don't like JJ. He reminds us long term fans of Jack.
- "The most boring Days actors to watch right now: CHAD (absolutely awful), Daniel, Daniel's monkey baby, Will, Kristen, JJ, JJ's stoner friends, Brady, Stephano."
How could anyone find watching the JJ character play out boring?
Casey Moss is doing a fine job as JJ, especially for someone who's never acted before.
- JJ is by far one of the most interesting characters on Days. Casey is doing an amazing job.
- R461 John Black is selling his Malibu house and has some money on the side as it is. Drake played baseball so I'm surprised that he hasn't tried to get on one of the sports networks. He won't have to act so how bad could he be?!
R465 I like Ed and I like the Kristen character BUT she is the ultimate manifestation of the drag queen in soaps. She doesn't have to try that hard either. Her actions are normal? Sez who? She drugged and raped a priest for Pete's sake! C'mon the middle class hausfraus must be in on the joke. Remember Kristen was on when James Reilly's wacky storylines reigned supreme. Andre shot/killed himself in order to blame John Black. The Possession story arc with Marlena turning into a black panther. I miss those completely stupid and silly "Days".
I think JJ is a little cunt. That is a compliment BTW. You love to hate that little fucker. I don't think he's such a good actor yet. He does a decent job of playing the bad boy though.
Dannifer? The fraus do love them. Their market research must tell Corday and Sony that because I've seen this relationship savaged beyond belief online in certain places. Jennifer needs Peter Blake's big fat cock inside her mouth once again. It's too bad they can't bring Jason Brooks back. Maybe they can bring back the character with another actor. Then he can stuff his sizemeat into Jennifer's mouth!
With regards to Missy, if she is such a fundie why does she fuck Daniel and sit by while the gay storyline goes on? Of course it's money but Mr Reeves didn't have a problem being on shows where people were fucking left and right either. Part of her religious act is to appease her husband,who shamed her when she found her with Jason Brooks.Before she met her husband she wasn't exactly the Virgin Mary either.....
- JJ's great and he and Rory have excellent chemistry, especially as they're playing straight boys.
- Rory reminds me of Russell Brand. Is that the inspiration? All he needed was an Essex accent and 'history' with EJ.
- R466, you're not a DL regular are you?
You sound like a typical DOOL fan who posts on one of the fan forums. They use words like "a Daniel propper" and all those odd soap related words.
The hatred of Daniel is ridiculous. DOOL fans don't want to face the fact that J.J. is a criminal in training.
Jennifer becoming celibate will not change this pouting whining punk kid, I think it's odd that the fans keep siding with that little pig nosed punk. They act as if Jennifer is such a terrible mother that she's been going out bar hopping every night, doing crack or is a street corner hooker! Their hatred of Daniel and Jennifer is bizarre.
- [quote]JJ is just a kid who is suffering b/c his dad died and NO one in his family has spoken to him or understood where his rage comes from.
Guess you missed a few episodes? J.J. has whined to Jennifer several times about his anger. He told her it's due to Jack's death and how he feels Daniel is trying to be his father. Oh boo hoo, poor baby.
J.J. is not the only teen in the world with a parent who is dating after a spouse dies. Jennifer did explain to him that Daniel was not trying to take Jack's place, even after that discussion, J.J. continued to manipulate Jen's love life.
Nowhere in the story line has Daniel tried to take Jack's place in Jennifer's kids lives. Daniel has his own kids, Melanie and Parker.
All J.J. continues to do is prove how petty and bitchy he is. I enjoyed Rory calling J.J. on his drug dealing being much worse than what Jennifer was supposedly doing behind J.J.'s back.
J.J. is a real jerk, when he initially met Daniel he borrowed and broke Daniel's MP3 player (a gift from his daughter Melanie), damaged Daniel's car, ignored Parker (who almost had a bookcase fall on top of him) when Abby asked J.J. to watch the kid for a few minutes and let's not forget J.J.'s continuing lies and manipulation of Jennifer. What is there to like about this moron?
I guess the years of boarding school haven't taught J.J. much. What happened to traditional canings in British boarding schools? Wasn't he kicked out of the school for drug dealing?
- Why was the JJ character initially sent to boarding school in the UK?
- [quote] There is nothing worse than when people who have no clue about shit, post as if they do.
Yes, that annoys me too, so shut the fuck up!
Jack and Jennifer were living in the UK when JJ started school. I always thought JJ was born with certain mental/physical defects ough
- DAYS needs to bring on a hot young British guy as one of JJ's friends. And EJ can be his mentor!
- Jennifer went to the same boarding school as Carly.
Abby and then JJ went to the same one, as per Horton tradition.
- Oh R477, you sad little frau, you.
Jennifer divorced Jack because she thought he had abandoned her for a year-long hiking adventure when, in fact, he had gone on a short-term, undercover reporting assignment where he was kidnapped, held captive in a cave for a year and tortured.
When Jack escaped and returned, Jennifer and Daniel were madly in love. They were so condescending and dismissive of Jack, who was suffering from PTSD. They treated him like gum on the bottom of their shoes. Eventually, Jennifer began dating both men (really?) and Daniel the Noble stepped aside, so the fraus could wub him even more.
Jack then was killed saving his daughter's life. JJ didn't get to leave boarding school for the funeral, and Jennifer didn't bother spending any quality time with her teenage boy after the death of his father. (JJ may be the one person in that family who really loved Jack.)
Less than two weeks later, Jennifer is consumed by her need to be with Daniel, and they begin dating again while the other characters insisted to Jennifer that she had mourned long enough!
I can see why JJ is so screwed up, and yes, a lot of it is Saint Jennifer's fault. Mother in absentia.
By the way, Parker didn't almost have a bookshelf fall on him. In the 90 seconds JJ wasn't looking at him, Parker climbed onto a chair then Daniel walked in, had a panic attack (OMG! A chair!!) and tossed JJ around. Do you know how many scenes we've had a Daniel giggling on the phone with Jennifer while Parker played in the background or in his own room? What a hypocrite Daniel is.
I can't stand Daniel and Jennifer, and the insane propping by other characters is nauseating. That's what makes me think the pairing isn't as popular as Days would like. Why do so many other characters spend so much screen time obsessing over "Dannifer"?
Missy is to blame for Matthew Ashford's exit on Days. She lobbied Corday to put her character back with Daniel because the pairing, in her mind, was so exciting, so Corday ordered the writers to kill of Jack.
- I agree. Daniel and Jennifer are unbearable. Daniel must have gone to he Drake Hogestyn school of acting. He's just that bad.
- [quote]Oh [R477], you sad little frau, you.
ONCE AGAIN, douchebag, I'm a gay man who has been on DL since 1998.
Go fuck yourself.
- WOW R483, such a badge of honor, you knowing all the minute details of Jen and Jack's life, how pathetic.
You are here calling ME a frau? Check yourself darling! You are clearly a woman.
Please leave DL, go back to the DOOL fan forums, you belong with those freaks. I cannot stand when DL gets infiltrated with rabid soap fans. Stop using that stupid word "propping".
Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong suit.
Yes, Parker WAS climbing on a chair, THEN he was trying to climb a BOOKCASE to get his toy which landed on top of a bookcase. If the furniture wasn't a bookcase it was some type of tall cabinet. I never posted it was a BOOKSHELF. I'm sure you have the show on DVR, watch it again!
The amount of time douchebag J.J. was listing to his 'tunes' was much longer than a 90 seconds. He's a self absorbed piece of shit character.
I don't care much for Jen and Dan either, but J.J. is not exactly a beacon of sweetness and light, he's a conniving lying sack of shit.
- This is what gets soap threads shut down.
- [quote]This is what gets soap threads shut down.
Yes, rabid assholes like R483, ramming all the minute back details about the silly story lines down others throats.
Sometimes viewers don't enjoy being told which characters they should like or not like. It's entertainment, period. These soap freaks are always moralizing. They seem to forget the characters are not real people, they are exaggerated versions of real life.
Jen's son is dealing coke, I guess these anti Daniel/Jennifer freaks have no problem with that? Talk about a hypocritical character.
- Anyway, has anyone noticed that nothing came of the pot doughnuts thing? The critics are still writing about what a great scene it was. However, fans are now questioning if there truly was any point beyond just wanting to have a funny scene. They should have had one of the characters almost die from it. I think one of them has health problems.
- Is the role of Will Horton being recast?
- Yes, R490. Please catch up.
It's the reason Chandler Massey's time at DAYS was cut short. They found his replacement and told him they were making the transition now.
- Re the donuts, it was a fake build up to J.J. getting caught with the pot, it never happened. They turned it into the women getting stoned.
Who has health problems?
It was very odd that no one smelled the pot cooking when J.J. added it to the donuts, which he then deep fried.
Wouldn't there be an odor? Years ago, I had hash brownies a few times. I wasn't around when the person baked them, I don't know if there would be a smell of the pot, or hash, while the brownies were cooking, I assume there would be.
- When is the first airdate for Nu Will?
- R493, January 2014.
- He's going to be off the canvas for that long? Admittedly, I stopped following the show (again) when they started that ridiculous "Will knocked up Gabi" storyline.
- Let's talk about Eve Donovan.
- Is Parker supposed to be autistic or something?
- Eve? She's a cunt. A cute cunt but a cunt nonetheless. Perhaps Ken could get Charlotte Ross back. They need to fill the void Kristen is leaving. They need a wicked bitch back in Salem....
- Will getting a girl pregnant was akin to Bianca getting raped and impregnated 10 years ago on AMC. They always have to saddle these characters with kids and heteronormative lifestyles.
- I like the JJ character, he's funny. And I do think the only reason we give him such pass is because he's the only one in Salem against Dannifer. I think you would have a completely different reaction to this character if it were Jack and another woman he was raging and scheming against. And Abigail acts all Miss Goody Two Shoes, but she was chasing after a married man not that long ago.
- R476, not only am I a DL regular, I've been posting since DL had separate boards (Gossip, Politics, Lesbian, etc). I became a real DLer during the halcyon period of Andy Sullivan's Milky Loads debacle...ah, the good old days. I don't post on soap boards but like everyone online I do check out what's being said at other places so I do know the terms fans use to describe situations that are occurring with characters. Propping is a tradition of shitty soap writers that sadly is of overuse on Days (and GH but lets not discuss that shitfest). BTW you need to also check yourself on your 'views' of JJ since ya seem to not like the kid as much as some fans dislike Daniel. I do think the story is of that kid going off the rails but the underlying theme they are trying to point it towards is his unresolved issues with his daddy's death (or at least that's what I think these writers are going for).
I have to say, I was one of the people happy when DL cut the Soap Boards it created to deal with the soap fans influx a decade ago. Back then was a nightmare, back then we also had the crazy Prancing Ponies. Let's hope this thread or others don't get derailed by that type of mentality/craziness.
- R495, Will isn't going off the canvas until Jan 2014. Days shoots four months in advance so Chandler worked until last Friday, Days has a two week period when they aren't shooting scenes. When Days returns to shoot scenes mid September, nuWill will be shooting scenes to start airing in January 2014.
Supposedly there won't be a break with the character. Presumably nuWill is going to appear a few days after old Will. Although it would be funny if nuWill appeared like Gordon Thompson did in Santa Barbara when he took over someone's role. The old actor fell down out of camera range from a punch and Gordon (who took over that role) stood up from the hit in the next scene. Hilarious. They should have done it during a Will and Sonny love scene. Chandler would start the love scene and the new actor who turn over and appear in the following scene.
- How would great-grandpa Dr Tom Horton feel about all these gay bois bottoming their way through Salem?
- [quote] Chandler would start the love scene and the new actor who turn over and appear in the following scene.
Already done on Soaps. Jack on Days and Vanessa on Love of Life
- Oh yeah R504, I remember Jack in the shower on Days. That's why I thought of it. Days tends to recycle plots (eg. Nick vs. Wilson) so why not how they handle a recast.
Oh and someone upthread mentioned JJ and Rory. Yeah, those two guys have great chemistry. The Rory actor is hilarious. I can see the R. Brand similarity in features.
- Yes, R485, but you sound like the ultimate frau.
- GH did it with Carly. I think Sarah Brown went up to the penthouse bedroom to make love with with Sonny on Friday and Tamara Braun came down from the bedroom on Monday. I remember thinking how funny it was.
- r507, that's not accurate. Sarah Brown's last scene on GH as Carly was Sonny storming out of his birthday party when he found out she'd stopped taking birth control. Tamara Braun didn't show up for another two weeks.
What you're referring to is when Tamara left. Her last scene was walking in on Sonny having sex with Reese and then the following Monday, Jennifer Bransford repeated the scene but her response was about ten times funnier, all wide eyed and opened mouthed.
- They did something similar on AMC with Babe. I think they ended a Friday episode with Krytal hugging Alexa Havens' Babe, and picked up on Monday with Krystal hugging the totally forgettable Amanda Baker's version.
- Actually, IIRC they switched the Babes in the same episode! Alexa's Babe hugged Krystal, and when the scene came back it was Amanda Baker who pulled away.
- r510, the scene didn't even cut:
- R501 It's all good. I never thought you were part of the frau infestation anyway. Look your opinion is your opinion. Everyone else has one like an asshole! Contrary to what some people might tell you otherwise.
- [quote] Eve? She's a cunt. A cute cunt but a cunt nonetheless. Perhaps Ken could get Charlotte Ross back. They need to fill the void Kristen is leaving. They need a wicked bitch back in Salem....
Charlotte Ross is on a primetime show for VH1 which got renewed for a second season.
- Susan Seaforth Hayes and Charlotte Ross LOATHED each other. Susan still wields clout with Ken Corday, so Charlotte will never be back.
Alex and Sister Marie's S&M Dungeon
- [quote] Susan still wields clout with Ken Corday
If that is the case why is Suzi Rogers ON-contract, while Suzi Seaforth Hayes is NON-contract
- Because the Hayeses prefer to do their cabaret act and take it on the road. Ken has asked Susan and Bill to return on a regular basis over the years and in front-burner storylines, but they prefer the easier way or life their cabaret engagements afford them. They make appearances from time to time as a personal favor to Ken. The fans still adore them.
- R516 that is BS. The Hayes would sign a contract in a minute. Fact is back in the early 80s, Corday cut down their appearances to focus on Bo & Hope.
Rather than stay, they left.
Susan came back awhile later, only to be cut loose by Jim Reilly. Corday could have saved her job, but he didn't.
Since then they have been recurring. Work is better than no work.
It is cheaper to have then off-contract than on.
If Corday was such a fan, he would sign Susan back on-contract.
- FLASHBACK: Susan Seaforth Hayes Dropped From DAYS Cast 1992
Last week DAYS OF OUR LIVES executive producer Ken Corday informed Susan Hayes that her services would no longer be needed. According to Hayes, who called us last week, "Julie's story has been told. It's on to the next generation." Hayes' last scheduled appearance will be during the second week in January.
If he was such a fan why did he fire her in 1992?
- Also, Bill Hayes is nearing 90 (88 to be exact). No way Corday would ever sign him to a contract again. Susan Seaforth Hayes is 70, but ditto - Doug and Julie are definitely background players at this point.
And whether fans like it or not, Marlena seems to be headed that way too. If Drake is off contract, they are using Marlena to support her kids and grandkids.
- Actually, Sarah's last Carly scene was her on the steps at their penthouse, looking down on an upset Sonny.
- The Hayes are lucky for the work.
Let's be clear. Corday is not a FAN of Susan Seaforth Hayes. But keeps her (and Bill Hayes) around in a recurring basis to respect the history of the show.
If they weren't connected to the Horton family, we would never see them.
- Susan and Ken have a very good relationship. He wanted Susan and Bill to be a central part of his ultimately unsuccessful Days reboot a couple of years ago. He offered them big bucks to go back on contract in a front-burner storyline. There were scheduling conflicts with their cabaret act, so they couldn't do it. The only reason Suzanne Rogers is around is because Susan won't commit to a contract. Ken keeps Suzanne around as the old-time vet as a connection to the past. He would axe her red crotch in a second if Susan would agree to return as the vet point person.
- Charles Shaughnessy returns to "Days" for Nov Sweeps episodes
Exciting news for "Days" fans: Charles Shaughnessy is returning to "Days of Our Lives" as Shane Donovan! Shaughnessy, who debuted as the ISA agent in 1984, returns to "Days" along with long-time leading lady Patsy Pease (Kimberly) for a limited run during November sweeps. Shane and Kimberly were one of the many supercouples "Days" made famous in the 1980s. Shane and Kimberly's daughter, Theresa, recently returned to Salem after not being seen since 1997. This will be the first time Shane or Kimberly ever share a scene with one of their children as an adult (their other son, Andrew, also was last seen as a child in 1997). Shortly after leaving "Days", Shaughnessy went on to star on the hit sitcom "The Nanny", where he played Maxwell Sheffield, the love of series star Fran Drescher's character. This will be Shaughnessy's fourth visit since he left "Days" in 1992. His previous returns were in 2002, 2010 and 2012.
- R522 that is complete and total bullshit
- Days should have Julie take Theresa under her wing. Theresa is essentially young Julie.
- [quote[Susan Seaforth Hayes and Charlotte Ross LOATHED each other. Susan still wields clout with Ken Corday, so Charlotte will never be back.
Wait, why would they have any feelings about one another? They weren't even on the show at the same time (not from what I remember...)
- R526 they only worked together for one year (1990 to 1991)
Suzi came back in 1990 (while Char was on the show). Char then left in 1991.
So why do they hate each other? What's the story?
- I never heard that they hated each other.
I do know that Char best friend in the whole wide world is Melinda Clarke, daughter of John Clarke (Mickey).
They met on Days and have stayed best friends to this day.
- Charlotte Ross was stunning.
- They need to bring me back to the show! I was besties with Marlena for a minute.
Interesting to hear. Didn't realize that. I don't remember much of Faith's story line on the show. I do remember Eve having some sort of rivalry with her over the singing thing.
Then again, who didn't Eve have a rivalry with?
Kim, April, Faith, Jen.. who else am I missing?
- I demand that the writers of Days address my existence!
- Tommy Horton, Jr. is married to the real Kate Winograd and living in Melaswen.
- [quote]BTW you need to also check yourself on your 'views' of JJ since ya seem to not like the kid as much as some fans dislike Daniel. I do think the story is of that kid going off the rails but the underlying theme they are trying to point it towards is his unresolved issues with his daddy's death (or at least that's what I think these writers are going for).
If indeed you are gay, I find it ironic that a very sexually active character such as Daniel gets ripped apart here because he's fucked so many women.
A large portion of this board's threads are about fucking, sucking, rimming, not to mention gay men boasting they are fucking str8 men (str8 men don't fuck men) and the worshiping of gay pornstars. Yet Daniel gets put down for having a lot of sex in his past?!! I would assume gay men would be more forgiving of Dan's past.
My reason for disliking J.J. is his manipulation of Jennifer and his utter hypocrisy.
J.J. is dealing coke, yet is getting all bent out of shape because his mother is fucking Daniel. The entire storyline doesn't have much depth, it's all about J.J. whining and accusing. Perhaps Jennifer wants to move on due to Jack antics and lies? None of them sit done for serious discussion re Jack's death etc, it's accusations and lies non-stop.
Even if Jen was with a great guy, J.J. would hate him too. This is also never seriously discussed.
J.J.'s obsession is bordering on him having an Oedipus complex, I'm not the only viewer who sees this. The pug nose punk needs to keep out of his mom's private life and get some serious therapy.
Last time I looked, it's not illegal for two consenting adults to be in a relationship and fuck. Drug dealing is illegal. That glaring fact is being glossed over.
- R532 - Eve was a little like the prototype of Sami.
Yes, but I think Eve would have wiped the floor with Sami. That's a showdown I would have loved to have seen. Or if Eve had been on the show when Sami was, Eve could have decided to pimp Sami out. That would have been brilliant.
- And speaking of hookers... here is Farrah Abram's audition tape for Days. It's seriously hilarious.
- People hate Daniel because many characters have been thrown under the bus and completely changed in order to Prop(Yes, I said PROP) this relatively new character.
First Kate, then Chloe(along with Lucas), Then Philip, then Chloe again, Then Maggie(egg baby my ass), Then Carly Manning, Then Jack, then Jennifer, Then Nicole(and her baby) and Now JJ is a "Bad bad boy" in order to facilitate the pairing.
THIS is why he is hated. A troubled JJ should be about his TROUBLES and how he and his family deals with it and not about St. Jonas.
- Also, there is the ridiculous fact that pretty much every character on the show has droned on about Dannifer's wonderfulness. It's pathetic and kind of tells the tale. If TPTB need people to TELL the audience how great a pairing is...chances are they are not.
And they know it.
SC must suck a mean cock. J/k. But seriously this is clearly agenda.
- R537 - That would have been amazing. Maybe they should bring Charlotte back. Charlotte and Alison even look a little alike.
- R535-"If indeed you are gay, I find it ironic that a very sexually active character such as Daniel gets ripped apart here because he's fucked so many women."
You are presuming as to why I and others despise the character of Daniel. I don't care that's he's fucked so many women. I dislike him for his presence having a negative impact on some of my favorites characters/actors. B/c of him Chelsea dropped Nick and the immensely talented Blake Berris was fired after he was sacrificed to the alter of god Daniel and his dingbat daughter Melanie. Chelsea became an idiot with Daniel and degraded herself for him (that's character propping of Daniel). Chelsea's grandmother Kate also degraded herself for this no talent sun baked idiot. Then it was Chloe's turn to lose her three brain cells when she hooked up with Daniel. Hello, based on Parker's birth certificate, Daniel is old enough to be her dad.
Then it was poor Carly and then poor Nicole. The amazing Ari Zucker had to play a fool for this asshole. Now it's Jennifer's turn to be a moron.
Speaking for myself, I don't give a shit that Daniel likes to screw around. Some of my favorite characters are sluts (Nicole) who've banged everyone in town. It's the fact that the writers are schizophrenic in that they act like he's god's gift and throw favorite female characters (and some male one's e.g. Nick and Lucas) down the toilet to prop him. I mean, is SC screwing the producer or writer? That's the only explanation for why he gets so many front burner storylines which make his female partners look like idiots (in a genre FOR women). I think the only one in town besides JJ who hasn't forgotten that Daniel is a douchebag is Lucas.
So the point is, STOP presuming the reason WHY the fans on DL dislike Daniel. For most of us, it's not because we're puritans. (Besides, he's not attractive to some people. Sorry, but the actor does nothing for me). And I agree about the comment on everyone having an opinion and an asshole.
- Eve singing
- [quote] People hate Daniel because many characters have been thrown under the bus and completely changed in order to Prop(Yes, I said PROP) this relatively new character.
Yes, this nails it.
Anytime you have a soap character where the existing story bends (or breaks) to prop them up, it usually pisses off the audience.
I like Shawn Christian well enough, but his Daniel has been a manwhore with little to no chemistry with ANY of his leading ladies. Buying him as Maggie's son was a stretch, but then retconning Melanie and Carly to be his new "family" was just lazy.
- Bill and Susan Seaforth Hayes left the show in 1984 amid a contract dispute. The had been the stars of the show, the face of the show (and the network) throughout the 70s and early 80s. Then when Brian Frons came in as head of NBC Daytime programming in 1983, he ordered the show to focus more on the younger characters. Doug and Julie were quickly relegated to the background merely serving as a barrier to Bo and Hope's romance. They went to the press demanding the show give them a storyline. The show didn't, so they walked.
Susan moved over to Y&R to play Lauren Fenmore's mother. In 1986, Bill came back to Days on recurring, mainly just to give Hope someone to talk to. He stayed for about a year.
In early 1990, after Y&R left Susan go, Days invited her back on contract as Julie. Bill was not invited back. Julie was supposed to be involved with Victor K, but ended up mostly being a talk-to character for the Eve Donovan character. In her biography, Susan doesn't have anything nice to say about Charlotte Ross.
When Jim Reilly took over the show in 1993, he wrote Julie off.
Since then, Doug and Julie have come back periodically as storyline and their schedules permit. They're generally part of the Christmas tree trimming episode. In fact, more than once they've specifically requested to be written into that episode.
In 2000 and 2001, Doug and Julie were on the show frequently. They had many scenes reminiscing with Alice about the past. It certainly felt like the show was grooming Doug and Julie to be the new head of the Horton family (which would be appropriate since Julie is a Horton by blood, Maggie is only a Horton by marriage).
I have no idea whether Ken Corday intended to bring Doug and Julie back on contract at that point, but it would have been in keeping with what we were seeing on screen.
- [quote]So why do they hate each other? What's the story?
I don't know the exact reason for the animosity between Hayes and Ross, but I suspect it has something to do with SSH's well-known intolerance for unprofessional behavior. She expected her fellow actors to show up fully prepared and ready to go, and she had little patience for on-set shenanigans. She's mellowed in the years since.
- [r492] Why wouldn't there be an odor when the pot donuts were cooking?
There's nothing burning. The odor you smell from pot is the fact its been ignited.
Mixing the pot into the donut batter and then baking/frying the donuts isn't going to produce anything like the smell you're accustomed to when someone's smoking a joint.
If there is any detectable smell of the pot from baking/frying, it would be slight. It would also be mixed in with all the other odors of the other ingredients.
- Ken Corday appears to have no power or even know what is going on in his show thus I doubt he has say about who is crucial to story. Julie and Doug were given the heave ho. It would have been nice if Julie were around more to deal with family stuff. For example, be there during Nick's drama. Alas, the show mostly calls them for the holiday show and in case there is something major going down that needs their face for two minutes. It's too bad b/c SSH is still a firecracker.
- Jim Reilly wrote off Julie because he had to free up money and his new character of Kate Roberts was going to duplicate some of what Julie had been doing.
Despite popular belief Jim Reilly didn't want to get rid of Matt Ashford in 93. He had big story planned for the character, but he was forced to write out the character, along with the planned exits of Carly and Laurence to pay for Eileen Davidson, Thaao Penghliss, and Joe Mascolo.
- JJ gets busted by the cops next week for drug dealing and Mother Jennifer finally sees him for the manipulator he is.
- [quote]Julie was supposed to be involved with Victor K, but ended up mostly being a talk-to character for the Eve Donovan character. In her biography, Susan doesn't have anything nice to say about Charlotte Ross.
Weird, I honestly can't remember any interaction between the two characters. What was the premise on the show for why they would even have any contact with each other?
What does Susan say about Charlotte in the Bio?
[quote]I don't know the exact reason for the animosity between Hayes and Ross, but I suspect it has something to do with SSH's well-known intolerance for unprofessional behavior. She expected her fellow actors to show up fully prepared and ready to go, and she had little patience for on-set shenanigans.
I've never heard anyone complaints of Charlotte's professionalism from any of her co-stars, so I'm interested in hearing what Susan's beef could possibly be.
- Okay just found the clip below. I'm guessing Julie came back and started managing Wings? I honestly can't remember what her storyline was back then.
- r551 Talk-to characters are rarely memorable. That's why you don't remember Julie consoling Eve on her romantic problems.
It's been years since I read the Hayes, but what I recall was that she just said Eve was a piece of work or something to that affect. There might have been a comment about her being bitchy to coworkers as well.
- Oppps, should have said it's been years since I read the Hayes' AUTOBIOGRAPHY.
- Apparently Susan also didn't like Francis Reid?
- Erica Kane smacked down Grandma Horton?
- I miss Calliope and Eugene.
- [quote] Ken Corday appears to have no power or even know what is going on in his show thus I doubt he has say about who is crucial to story.
That's an act. He pleads ignorance in the soap magazines, but he knows what's happening.
He's not very decisive, and he quite frankly doesn't know how to tell a story after all these years, so he tends to veer from right to left, so to speak, a lot in his decision making.
Which is why every 6 months to a year, the show becomes something completely different. (Except it has calmed down a bit since the recent "classic" reboot.)
- R513 How many episodes do they do a year? You mean to tell me Char can't do a story arc?
Shane coming back to Days....boring. I like him BUT where is the big bad coming on? Don't tell me it's Stefano or is that Stephano?;)
- How is the Hayes autobiography?
- [quote] How is the Hayes autobiography?
Compared to some of the other ones I've seen (Jeanne Cooper, Zimmer, the Bill Bell one) it has some more grit and teeth.
Especially when she talks about Brenda Benet, who she wasn't incredibly nice to on set.
I don't think she and Dee Dee Halls are sending each other birthday cards, either. Marlena usurped Julie's role as lead.
- Sounds like Susan may have just had issues with anyone with whom she felt she was playing second fiddle... Francis Reid, Deidre Hall... maybe that explains her dislike of Charlotte Ross, if all she was ever doing on Days was listening to Eve's problems. Maybe she just thought she was and should have always been the star at all times.
Do you remember what she said (if anything) about Kristian Alfonso?
- What does Madame Hayes think of my formerly fur-coated pecs?
- In the book, Susan Seaforth admits to being highly protective of the Doug and Julie pairing and feeling threatened by Brenda Benet's pairing opposite her husband. That's why she was not nice to Brenda, even though she and Brenda had been friends prior to her casting as Lee Dumond.
She said after Doug and Julie were reunited onscreen that she went to Brenda to apologize. The two got along better after that, but were never especially close.
She doesn't talk about being threatened by Deidre Hall in the book. Makes it sound like they were pals in the 70s and still are. But rumor is that were not especially close in the 70s.
I've never heard any rumors of animosity between Frances Reid and Susan Seaforth. The worst I've ever heard Susan say about Frances is that she was nothing like her character, something that has been verified by many others.
- Apparently the rumor that Susan didn't get along with Frances started because of an interview where Frances stated, when asked to comment on her fellow co-stars, said when Susan's name was asked, "She doesn't like me and I don't know why."
Some people thought it was a joke but supposedly other cast members confirmed it was actually true.
That's the rumor, anyway.
- Did SSH's book predate Brenda's suicide?
- R566 I would be curious about that too.
Dee has claimed they were all shocked and horrified by Brenda's sudden and inexplicabe suicide.
Dee claimed there was a memorial to her in the hallway.
- [quote]Chelsea's grandmother Kate also degraded herself for this no talent sun baked idiot.
Are you calling the actor OR his character an idiot? Is the actor hated as much as the character?
Isn't Daniel supposedly a brilliant surgeon? Didn't he save Jen's life when that organ stealing ring was about to take Jen's heart? (That was another ridiculous storyline, it was so damn silly, I thought I imagined it!)
Wasn't Maggie also locked in a coffin?!
From reading some soap forums, I also notice the lines get blurred when some viewers really dislike a certain actor/actress, they also start hating the character.
- R566 No, Benet died 30 years ago. The book came out recently.
- Brenda Benet committed suicide in 1982.
The Hayes' book came out in 2006 or so.
- SSH & BH book - 2005
- R557 I do too think that Calliope and Eugene will be on when(and if ) Days makes it to its 50th anniversary.
Why are people going on about Corday not knowing about what is going on with Days? You must be kidding me, he's aware of everything that goes on there. From the budget to the scripts, he knows those details like the back of his hand.
- [quote] Dee claimed there was a memorial to her in the hallway.
Not true. They had the memorial at Launa Saunders (Marie) house
- How would Eve and Kristen interact?
- [quote] Despite popular belief Jim Reilly didn't want to get rid of Matt Ashford in 93
Which is why it was recast with Mark Valley.
Matt Ashford needed to be brought down a peg or two. The last contract negotiations he wanted major money. He even said he wanted to be 'valued' as the next performer. Plus he kept wanting the character to be comical.
The next round of contract negotiations, the show was changing. No longer was it going to be couple dictated, but rather much more of an ensemble.
TPTB realized that Ashford needed to be dropped because they were going to change the character. They wanted a straight man to cause Jennifer and her new love-interest trouble, not some comedian.
- Biggest cuntfest ever!That's how. Kristen would make mincemeat out of Eve. Though Eve's become older and probably wiser at this point.
- In terms of vets who've appeared off and on since 2010, but haven't been seen during Kristen's reign of terror, which one would you have liked to have seen return to have it out with her?
BTW, Charles Shaughnessy is coming on for November Sweeps? November was already filmed, so has he already been filming this entire time and no one leaked the news? Eileen Davidson is suppose to be the main event for November.
- What should our follow-up thread be titled, because we're about to max out this one.
- r577, why not bring back Charlotte Ross as Eve for a few weeks to fill the void? I'd love to see Eve size up Dannifer!
Look at this!!!
- HD is not flattering is it? James Scott looks a bit haggard in recent episodes.
- e always has odd hair, R580.
- Charlotte Ross was incredibly gorgeous. I'd say she was the most beautiful actress to grace soap opera primarily because there was something incredibly feminine about her. Dee Hall and the like have a more Amazonian appeal that lends itself to queer culture I suppose. I would say that Charlotte Ross conveyed the same quality that made Marilyn Monroe so famous. It's something that cannot be duplicated - an absolute womanliness and yet nothing coquettish or sheltered.
Charlotte Ross could easily have made a major impact in Hollywood if they were still making those kind of films where women are driving the narrative. Instead we got Julia Roberts becoming THE Hollywood star (ironically a huge fan of Days herself, she must have been aware of Charlotte - legend is Julia was actually was turned down for a role on the show pre-fame).
If Charlotte Ross had gone on to star in Pretty Woman instead of Julia Roberts, I can guarentee that she would be a major movie star today.
- This is what SSH wrote in her autobiography about Charlotte Ross (though she didn't name Ross):
"The little blond ingenue the Fates gave me to work with next was playing a sassy bitch, but the writing never matched her talent for being hateful. After an unforgettable run she left Days to do more of the same on nighttime TV. At her farewell party the cake had a picture of her face on it. I remember nobody took a slice of her mouth."
- Sounds like we have a member of DAYS PTB here to try and justify the firing of a popular vet and the destruction of a popular supercouple. *yawn* Care to enlighten us as to why it's ok that Peter Reckell was just allowed to walk away(thus ending Bo and Hope) and Drake Hogysten was shown the door?
Whatever. What MADE Jack and Jennifer was the unique chemistry between MA and MR. It was also the comedic aspect(So fuck you and your "some comedian"). Recasting Jack with Ken Doll Mark Valley(and later Steve Wilder) ruined the pairing. Ironically though, they had to replace MR with Barbie Doll Stephanie Cameron so it ended up fitting in a wierd way, but it wasn't Jack and Jenn. Hence why they were packed off when the Peter story ended. And when they returned they were WISELY in the form of MR and MA.
- Is she referring to Charlotte or her character? Here's a scene with Julie & Eve:
- R584 You sound a little fan-gurl-y, but I do agree with you, Ashford made that pairing.
Unfortunately, his brand of wry humor seemed to have fallen out of favor, and it also didn't help that none of the DAYS writers "got" his character or that kind of humor.
Soaps as a whole are a bummer these days. No one knows how to balance. Yes, you need car crashes and shooters and all that drama, but there also needs to be family and fun and humor and romance. Most shows have forgotten about those finer points, and go straight for the crime/car crash/fire/shooter/massive death scenes to goose ratings.
- Can we be real here? SSH was a major bitch diva. I love the character and SSH is Julie, but even she has admitted that she was a cunt on that set. Going all the way back she had issues with Denise Alexander, Frances Reid, Margaret Mason, Kristian Alfonso, Patricia Barry, and Brenda Benet. Even though the Brenda thing was due to Brenda's issues and demons, SSH didn't exactly welcome the woman with open arms. She treated Kristian horribly, they made up years ago, but she wasn't nice to a young girl. SSH is one of those women who doesn't like other women. And she used her clout on the set, at the time, to push other people around. End of story.
- Does Martsolf wear a hair piece? Why does his makeup always seem so awful?
- R584 True. The chemistry was perfect between MA and MR.Stephanie Cameron acted and looked like a zombie/Bell soap version of Missy.
Drake hasn't really been a real series regular for some time now. Then again I think ED was surprised that she didn't have more interaction with him.The Reckell thing is silly though. Hope going solo is a pure snoozefest.
R585 SSH was talking about Charlotte the actress not Eve the character.
- [quote] Recasting Jack with Ken Doll Mark Valley(and later Steve Wilder) ruined the pairing.
Mark Valley has more work than he can handle.
While Matt Ashford can't get even an under-five part on night time.
His ego got too big (MA) that is why they gave him the heave-ho.
- Peter walked because he didn't want to take a pay cut. It's called karma. In the same way that Peter pushed actors off the canvas and off the show, where he showed up and became the star, the same thing happened to him. He would still be there, if he realized that his days of making 7 figures are over.
Drake is part a money thing, but Drake has stated that he would work for much less because he doesn't need the money. The man apparently has invested very, very well. And part Gary Tomlin doesn't particularly care for the character.
JER wrote a story for Jack where he was going to sleep with Kate. Ashford was on board with the story and was excited about the dramatic potential of the storyline, that is when Sony fired him. And it was because Ashford had said and done some things in the press and other places that pissed them off.
- [quote] Ashford had said and done some things in the press and other places that pissed them off.
Again MA ego got too big for the show.
- Ashford can act circles around any other actor on Days, with the possible exceptions of Davidson and Zucker.
Alfonso, Reeves and Sweeney get to walk around with egos the size of Texas dictating their storylines, but Ashford has too big an ego? Doubtful.
- [quote] Ashford can act circles around any other actor on Days
Then why can't he get Prime Time work, and Mark Valley is getting more work than he can handle.
[quote] but Ashford has too big an ego? Doubtful.
Then why did he tell the press he wanted a big raise because he wanted to be 'valued' as the next performer on the show?
- btw when Melissa Reeves resigned with the show (the same time MA got fired) she was making $500,000.00 a year.
That was revealed in the lawsuit papers filed by Corday against MR.
- Stephanie Cameron was like a zombie/Bell soap opera version of Missy. She was slow as molasses. Mark Valley was good looking but it wasn't the same. MA and MR had all the chemistry in the world and without those two it simply wasn't the same.
SSH is referring to Charlotte the actress not Eve the character.
- The most promising storyline on Days of the past 5 years was the Hope/Bo/Carly triangle. If the show hadn't resorted to having the women become love rivals and actually written a mature dynamic, it would have been one for the ages. Would any writer you can think of have handled that story differently? Kristian and Crystal were absolutely terrific together. There was an alertness and an aliveness in their scenes together, as if one coveted what the other knew about Bo.
- [quote] MA and MR had all the chemistry in the world and without those two it simply wasn't the same.
The ratings actually went up with Mark Valley, not down.
- There is a difference R593. You can dictate story all you want, as long as you play the company man in public. Don't put all your business out in the streets. And KA is more or less a recurring player these days, so she is dictating nothing.
- Days has got to ditch the HD. It ruins the quality of the storytelling and it probably costs much more. The old format of shooting a soap was much more flattering to the actors, physically.