- Why ??
- Shocked!!!!! and right in the middle of the news in NYC
- Time Warner Cable Removes CBS in 3 Big Markets
By BILL CARTER
The war between CBS and Time Warner Cable intensified Friday afternoon when the cable company pulled the CBS stations from its markets, including New York, Los Angeles and Dallas.
CBS said the service was suspended around 5 p.m. Eastern time. Both sides then issued statements blaming the other for being unreasonable in the negotiations, which were extended from Monday.
The decision means that viewers in those cities that subscribe to Time Warner Cable will not be able to watch CBS programming until a deal is reached. In the past, subscribers have reacted with anger at such suspensions, but generally because they have missed specific programs. In this case, the summer programming roster does not contain many highly popular shows that may drive a settlement. CBS’s biggest appeal this summer is from the show “Under the Dome,” which will not have a new episode until Monday.
But the network does have the PGA golf championship coming in a week. Further down the road is the NFL season, which would surely stir outrage if viewers were denied access to the games.
The Showtime network, owned by CBS, was also pulled from the three markets. Showtime has a new, well-regarded show, “Ray Donovan,” running this summer, as well as the final season of the drama “Dexter.”
CBS called the action “ill-advised” and “injurious not only to our many affected viewers, but also to Time Warner Cable itself.”
Time Warner Cable followed with its own statement, saying, “CBS has refused to have a productive discussion. It’s become clear that no matter how much time we give them, they’re not willing to come to reasonable terms.”
CBS also used tough language in its statement, saying the cable company had “conducted negotiations in a combative and nonproductive spirit, indulging in pointless brinkmanship and distorted public positioning.” CBS labeled Time Warner Cable’s charge that CBS was seeking a 600 percent fee increase as “fictional and ridiculous.”
- Does anyone under the age of 50 even watch CBS?
- Fuck them times three!!!
- OMG, what will the Darfur orphans watch now??
- They did it on a Friday when no one watches TV anyway. And people can still get their local CBS stations using an old-fashioned antenna, if they're in a large urban area.
- r5 has obviously missed the "Big Brother" and "Under the Dome" threads
- Cable companies have a monopoly. They can do whatever they want and no one (especially not the Nobama admin) will do a thing about it.
- Does NYC have FiOS?
- Not even online:
Time Warner Cable subscribers who want to watch CBS programs on the network's website are out of luck as a result of the distribution fight between the two companies.
CBS makes a substantial amount of its content available on CBS.com, but it's blocking Time Warner Cable broadband subscribers from accessing its programming as of Friday afternoon.
When a Time Warner Cable broadband customer requests to see a CBS show on the CBS website, the words "content not available" appear at the top of the screen and then an ad critical of the cable company appears.
- Silly r10...
- Cable Companies are the Betamax of the internet age.
They are on their way out.
- Watchseries, 1channel, Solarmovie, tvlinks, etc....
Who fucking needs cable in this day and age?
- Riiiiight. R13. Illegal downloading on piratebay is going to put cable out of business.
How will people be able to watch The CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley?
Or more important, the "Morning Show"???
- Glad I have FIOS.
- They better get this shit straightened out before Charlie Osgood and CBS Sunday Morning goes on.
- Do they still have old-fashioned antennas? Where can I find one? Exactly what is a CBS, and do I really need one?
- For r21.
Type in your address and see what channels you can get and what kind of HDTV antenna you need.
You'll be surprised.
- Good thing today's Y&R was Phyllis' final episode!
- Man, I need my Dexter!!!!
- Showtime on Demand still works so I'm going to catch up on Ray Donovan. TWC says it's going to replace Showtime with Starz or Encore as a "courtesy" to their viewers but they haven't done so in New York. Yeah, fuck you TWC. I better get a full free month of Showtime next month. Just around the time my bill goes up. Oh, and fuck you too CBS.
- For r24.
- What?!!! Phyllis is off Young and the Restless? NOOOOOO.....
- "They can do whatever they want and no one (especially not the Nobama admin) will do a thing about it"
Oh, give it a rest, you stupid Freeper fuck.
Like the president of the US doesn't have anything better to do than get involved in this "crisis."
- I have to say I hope Phyllis doesn't come to Port Charles. Things are crowded enough and we're losing my beloved Connie!
- 2 Words: Ray Donavan!
CBS owns Showtime.
- Les ( Mr. $70 Million Bonus) Moonves wants a 600% transmission fee hike on a channel you can get for free. Which means all the networks will come back and want more too and your bill goes up and up.
- We still have it on our Time-Warner cable system. The only show my partner and I watch is "Under The Dome." I think we can see that free on Amazon because we're Prime members. I hate TWC but I hope they don't cave into CBS-the cable bill is high enough!
- There's gonna be a lot of pissed off viewers if they go dark during "Under the Dome."
- Ultravox was cool.
- OP, are you serious??? What am I supposed to watch, DAMNIT!
- The only show I watch on CBS is Good Wife. This better be fixed by then. And NFL. It better damn well be fixed by then.
- Why are you doing this to me? This isn't fair that I can't watch CBS!
- I don't like Ray Donovan. It looked promising enough at the start but I hate his wife. Her voice is just too irritating and ruins it all for me.
CBS- Cunt Broadcasting System
- R23 This is off topic, but I was wondering if they had written "Katherine" out of "Y&R," I wondered how thy would do that. I watched the Jeanne Cooper memorial episode.
- Does the president of CBS have womanly thighs? Please describe.
- I noticed that TCM is running an all day Doris Day movie marathon so I didn't care if CBS went off the air tonight and then I realized that MIDNIGHT LACE!?! is not in the line up. And I will have to stay up until almost 4 a.m. to watch Love me or leave me. God damn, motherfucker, shit balls, TCM! Give a bitch a break.
- R39, I'm friends with Paula (who plays the wife on Ray Donovan). The problem with her voice is that she's Irish. And she's trying to not only speak American English, but do a Southie accent on top of it. Not easy.
- I think Katharine on Y&R is on vacation with Murphy right now.
- Holy shit. My Showtime on Demand channel is 1006. There is no longer a 1006. 1005 to 1007. It's not even showing up. CBS is showing up but it has the blah blah blah message. Strange.
- my showtime HD channel starts on 666, how fitting lol!!!
channels are still there, only says "preview"
- I'm so mad that I can just spit!
- Viacom should offer free Showtime on all the other TV providers.
- Guys, do you not know how to post links to your news sources? I mean, come on now.
- Please help me, I can't find my Showtime now!
- [quote]Please help me, I can't find my Showtime now!
It's NOT coming from inside the house.
- They BETTER not charge me for Showtime on my bill... or I WILL SUE!!!
- I live in Texas. We are still getting CBS but showtime has been pulled off the air. It's great though because we are getting Starz and kill bill vol 1 is on. I honestly hope TWC does not cave. CBS gets enough from advertising revenue. They are being little bitches for trying to extort more from TWC. I wonder how the other major networks compare in revenue to CBS and TWC.
- I don't think Fios is available in NYC yet. I looked it up and we can get DSL only here (East Harlem.) Still may switch, although I hate to give up NY1 and my email address.
- TWC says it's going to replace Showtime with Starz or Encore as a "courtesy" to their viewers but they haven't done so in New York.
I'm getting Starz (in NY) but not Encore. But I wouldn't have even known to click on those channels to check if I hadn't read your post here on Datalounge.
- Fios is available in Manhattan, maybe not in your part of town yet...but my friend in murray hill switched a few months ago.
- R55, agree, i wouldn't even know about Starz if not for DL. I just discovered I have it now.
- Um...people...several links have already been posted where you can watch tv shows online. Welcome to the 21st century.
- I have a friend at Manhattan Plaza on 43rd and Ninth (no, it's not Jan Maxwell) and she's had Fios for years.
- 43rd and 9th?? Jesus H. Christ.
- I have cable (not TWC) and sometimes I switch over to the antenna (rabbit ears) to watch broadcast TV because the HD signal is actually better. Cable has to compress the signal so much that the picture quality deteriorates. (I also use the antenna to watch MeTV because my cable system doesn't carry the local channel that has it.)
- Is it just network CBS that's gone or all their affiliated cable networks? Showtime, The CW, The Movie Channel - are those gone too?
- I'm so glad this is anonymous:
If CBS is still off NYC TW cable on Sunday night, I will unplug the box in a desperate attempt to watch Big Brother.
- One word - get Dish.
- Global domination is mine!!!!!!!!!!
- But first,...
- Anybody knows if we can call TWC and get a credit since showtime was taken away?
Sure, they gave us starz but that's not we ordered.
Anybody knows? any lawyers out there?
I don't like Dish or Direct TV coz the picture suffers whenever there is a storm or bad weather.
- Let me know if you find out anything, r67. I already got Starz with my cable package so they're not giving me anything.
- [quote]Why ??
Greedy, rich cunts vs. Rich, greedy cunts.
- Is there anyone under the age of 50 who gives a shit about this?
- Same here, r67. I pay for Starz so this does nothing for me. At least give us the Encore channels. All of them. Or a credit for Starz, too. I'm going to call TWC and be a bitch about it. I'm in that kind of mood.
- Whose feces? If the 15 year old kids were smearing their own feces on the wall (locked up or not), I can see why the father might think they needed harsh discipline. As for the boiling water, R16 is right.
The father sounds a little fucked up, but the mother's the one after her kids' cash faster than the trust allows, for her own purposes. Are we sure she didn't know they were in the basement. Maybe it was her feces.
- Is r72 privy to some Time Warner-CBS negotiations we don't know about?
- R71, please let us know what they say. I remember a channel was taken from us a while back and I called to complain and they just read off a statement, might as well be talking to a robot.
- [quote]Anybody knows if we can call TWC and get a credit since showtime was taken away?
Yes. Call them.
- BTW which side are we on?
- Maybe this is a preview of the alternate programming they are offering us, r73. Columbo, the scat years.
- Sorry, I meant to post R72 in thread: Billionaire Child Heirs Reportedly Forced To Live In Feces-Filled Basement.
- R78 Was it Les Moonves' basement?
- Okay, I called TWC to ask what alternate programming they are going to provide for those of us who also pay for Starz. The only way you can get Encore channels as a replacement is if you pay for The Movie Channel. If you don't subscribe to that channel they are going to give a discount on Starz service that will show up on next months bill and comes to around seven dollars. They are also going to credit your account on a pro-rated basis for the days that Showtime is off the air. No credit will be given for local CBS channels. I don't know if this is going to be done automatically or only if you call and hold their feet to the fire. There is a recorded message citing why TWC pulled Showtime and CBS, blah, blah, but if you hang on you are given the option to speak to a human. Speak to the human.
- We pretty much hate both of them, r76. We are going to pay for this down the line. It's a chicken shit game of chicken and we are the ones stepping in it.
- it will be back on tomorrow...just chill
- Julie Chen might eat Les by tomorrow morning.
Like a spider!!
- This isn't fair.
- r40, Katherine will be written off this fall - killed off, in fact.
- Guys, can you please tell me how to get CBS on another frequency? I need a computer nerd to help me out, please! I will have to go through therapy, I'm very serious.
- [quote]Is it just network CBS that's gone or all their affiliated cable networks? Showtime, The CW, The Movie Channel - are those gone too?
I just checked and CW is still on (at least it is here in NYC), which kinda surprises me since I thought it was tied to CBS.
- r14 is correct.
A pair of rabbit ears and Hulu Plus is all you need.
After dumping DirecTV, the antenna provided a much, much better HD signal and the picture is stunning.
Nearly $90 a month for countless channels of white-trash reality shows was an absolute waste.
If there's a show on cable you can't miss, buy a season pass on iTunes or Amazon. At around $25, even three shows would cost less than one month of cable or satellite.
- [quote]Guys, can you please tell me how to get CBS on another frequency? I need a computer nerd to help me out, please! I will have to go through therapy, I'm very serious.
- OMG - The World is Ending ! The World is Ending!
- R88, I think the iPad has a CBS app that you can watch episodes of your favorite show, including Big Brother.
- who cares
- Are they bringing back CBS right away? They can't be dark for too long. Otherwise, I will have to go through analysis.
I'm seriously, not kidding.
- just unplug your cable and u will have cbs dummy!
- Oh, I'll try that...thx, r94!
That is because WPIX, the CW affiliate in New York is owned by the Tribune Co. (as is KTLA in Los Angeles and KDAF in Dallas-Fort Worth), and not CBS outright. The dispute between Time Warner and CBS only affects their O&O stations (owned and operated).
- What am I going to do now? I might have to actually meet people and converse.
- [bold]In vengeful move, CBS blocks web episodes for Time Warner Cable internet subscribers [/bold]
CBS stations have disappeared for many Time Warner Cable subscribers today, after the companies' negotiations over retransmission fees failed to reach an amicable conclusion. But cable TV users aren't the only ones without access to episodes of their favorite shows: CBS is also blocking Time Warner Cable internet subscribers from watching episodes on its website CBS.com. We can confirm that when trying to access a full episode of any CBS show, like Elementary or Two and a Half Men, those with Time Warner Cable internet will see an attack ad instead of their normal programming.
While that might sound like a valid tactic to use in a no-holds-barred game of chicken like the one these companies are playing right now, it also flies in the face of net neutrality principles. Not net neutrality laws or rules, mind you, as the FCC Open Internet rules restrict broadband providers, not content companies like CBS.
(more at the link):
- Dl's missing channels, Call up Time Warner and let them know you may be switching to Dish TV if they do not get CBS back on the schedule.
That will help toward a resolution.
Both Time Warner and CBS have BILLIONS and they make their subscribers be the pawns in their G R E E D.
85% of CBS viewers watch on cable television of some form.
How rude of Time Warner to single out NYC, LA and parts of Texas (?) to not get regular service and drag them into the Frey.
First the cable companies lobbied to get the regular band width changed so you almost have to get cable and then the pull a major network channel because they want more money.
Ruthless and sad. They send a bill to your house every month for cable service (if not bundled to phone and internet) and then ask you to Write CBS to complain. UGH.
- TWC has billions .. They even went in and put generic descriptions of the CBS programs on the channel line up vs. actual episode and guest stars on talk shows. UGH.
- I work for Cablevision, and when they had a disagreement and pulled off the CW last year, we did not give credit. The company response was you are paying for a cable package and not individual channels, so they are subject to change without notice. Showtime is different, because you are specifically paying for that channel(s), so you would be entitled to some credit. It is a really dickish move to block their subscribers from the CBS website.
- I'm a TWC subscriber in New York and I can access CBS.com on my iPad just fine. I don't use TWC for an internet connection though. And I use a WiFi connection when I'm on the iPad. Maybe I should be quiet about it!
- [quote]The dispute between Time Warner and CBS only affects their O&O stations (owned and operated).
Which means that in Los Angeles it affects both channels 2 (KCBS) and 9 (KCAL), part of the CBS duopoly. KCAL is not network-affiliated, but is still being taken off of TWC.
- if it weren't for Big Brother and the Big Bang Theory....I'd never watch CBS.
- What moron subscribes to Time Warner anyway? Dumb asses.
- I complained that if I can watch programs on the CBS app, then I should be able to watch CBS on cable. I hope they don't make the CBS app not functional.
- My show better be on tonight, dammit!
- The Talk won't be on everywhere...does not compute... does not compute....power source shutting down.
- I don't have cable because they're too damned greedy.
I have a Leaf digital antenna (that looks like a piece of notebook paper) that I have hidden behind a painting. I've had it a couple of years and I tend to forget it's there. With it, I get great reception on all the digital channels in my area.
I have Roku and I subscribe to Netflix ($9/mo) and HuluPlus ($9/mo) and Amazon Prime ($79/year). For about $25/month, I get all the entertainment I want.
- R109, you get all the programs on cable like Dexter, True Blood, Broadway Empire?
Do you get international CNN? Fox Soccer Channel? TV monde 5 (french), NHK (Japanese)?
Are you in NY? If so, do you get NY1?
- I have a fireplace.
- [quote]Do you get international CNN? Fox Soccer Channel? TV monde 5 (french), NHK (Japanese)?
Are these genuinely worth $200/mo or however much your cable provider is gouging you?
I watched soccer on Fox today. I don't watch CNN and I'm not interested in TV Monde or NHK.
I don't live in NY so I can't speak to NY1.
The other shows you mentioned are available through other sources. I got burned out on Dexter and quit watching, although when it ends I'll probably pick up where I left off. True Blood has been too disappointing and too flawed so I gave up on it. Boardwalk Empire is available via pirating and Amazon instant video. They're a little further behind on this series than they have been with others, but I've gotten spoiled and have developed a strong preference for watching an entire season back to back.
- TV is moving towards on-demand commercial TV (HULU) and a-la-carte subscription TV (HBO-Go, Netflix, Amazon, iTunes)
Netflix has already turned into an on-demand HBO type channel
Cable Companies are on their death beds. THEY CREATE NOTHING!!! They charge you for hundreds of channels YOU DON'T WANT.
People are dropping cable like a bad habit. They are dying.
People WANT to watch commercial TV and sporting events streaming LIVE over the internet.
(FORBIDDEN!!!) AND YOU CAN'T EVEN SKIP LIVE COMMERCIALS.
People WANT to buy HBO/Showtime ON DEMAND for $10/month. (without cable).
(FORBIDDEN!!!) Available to cable subscribers ONLY.
The cable companies have resorted to blackmail to prevent this. (They'll drop any channels who dare to offer to bypass them)
Until they get their shit together and offer people WHAT THEY WOULD GLADLY PAY FOR, just download it for FREE!
FUCK 'EM! FUCK 'EM in the Ass!
- Notice the New Yorkers are all in a tizzy. No CBS. What is it, not getting your dose of death and crime shows?
- No. I only watch The Big Bang Theory and The Good Wife on CBS. I will miss my local CBS affiliates news team. I hate the ABC and NBC local news shows. I can watch CNN and MSNBC for politics and national and international news. Watching Fox, CW and My Nine local news is like watching puclic access television.
- Thankfully Lawrence Welk reruns are on PBS.
- r114/r116 is the late night DL is for old people troll.....
don't feed it.
- Duly noted, r117. Will do.
- Can someone please tell me if CBS is back on air tonight? I may need my smelling salts, if I don't get to watch 60 minutes and Big Brother.
- [quote]Notice the New Yorkers are all in a tizzy. No CBS. What is it, not getting your dose of death and crime shows?
Put a lid on it! I do watch my crime dramas, not that it's none of your business.
- I wouldn't count on it, r119.
- I didn't know what to do last night without CBS in NYC, so I decided to start smoking crack. I'm totally lost and cannot function. Good thing I live here and not in Iowa. Wait a minute... they have CBS.
- Nope R119. I doubt they will come to a settlement on the weekend.
- R8 you can't get anything with an old fashioned antenna anymore -
- Do you know when they will reach an agreement soon? Hopefully, before the next live eviction of Big Brother.
- This little power struggle will go on at least until the end of the week.
The NY City Council is trying to step in - in other words, Christine Quinn is trying to make herself look good and shill for votes - but that won't work.
Remember when TWC wouldn't carry the Fox News Network, and it took MAYOR Giuliani to step in and make it happen? Those were the days....
- Thank you so much, r126!
- The main problem with R109's strategy for me is no HBO and Showtime. I'd miss some Bravo shows but I could live without them. AMC's shows seem to be available online.
All it would take is for HBO subscriptions to become available on the web, but that will never happen because it's owned by the same corporation as Time Warner Cable and they know it would kill their cable business in cities where people can get the networks via antenna.
- I just signed up for a free month of aereo.com to watch Big Brother and under the dome. If it works out, maybe we'll cancel cable altogether.
- [quote] I'm friends with Paula (who plays the wife on Ray Donovan). The problem with her voice is that she's Irish. And she's trying to not only speak American English, but do a Southie accent on top of it. Not easy.
How about this? They hire an American actress to play the part. Maybe even an American actress from Massachusetts! What a revolutionary idea.
And there's this too, tv execs -- not all Irish American women have to have red hair. I know it's a stereotype you dearly love, but I'm Irish American and don't have an Irish American friends who have red hair.
There are repertory companies and college drama departments all over the US that produce perfectly fine stage actors and actresses who can handle doing roles in cable tv shows. Look into it, tv exec bitches.
- I haven't had cable in years. If you don't know by now how to stream shows online - they're all uploaded within 30 minutes of being broadcast - you're fucking hopeless.
- I don't believe in theft, R131.
- [quote]I just signed up for a free month of aereo.com...
I'm curious too. I wonder if this will work if my internet provider is Time Warner.
- Oh! please, R132...the thieves are the cable companies and their overpriced cable bills. I live in Europe and I watch everything that you watch on cable on streaming sites. Guess what? I can also watch my local news affiliates(NYC) online as well. Cable is unnecessary in this day and age...you need to cut the cord!
- You can watch Big Brother on TVG (157 here in NYC). They do a weekly marathon on Friday nights.
- Yeah R133 Aereo is working so far. I set it to record BB.
- Aereo sounds great. Alas, I am in L.A. No coverage. Any west coast equivalents?
- [quote]What is it, not getting your dose of death and crime shows?
CBS Sunday Morning
..and that's just today! Not a crime show among them.
Thank god The Amazing Race is on hiatus.
- [quote]I don't believe in theft
Apparently that only applies when you're the thief. You're welcome to go ahead and let your cable company rip you off.
R128 hasn't noticed how many HBO and Showtime shows end up on Amazon Prime, HuluPlus and Netflix.
- You could pretend it's the old days and listen to 60 minutes on the radio (880 AM in NY)...
- Fuck TW and CBS in their greedy little assholes.
Except Les Moonves would probably enjoy it.
- If you ask me, both the cable companies AND network/cable stations need to get a grip and recognize there are other options - often far better, then what they are serving the public. It took me a couple of years longer than it should have to give up the land line. And I am just about there with cable. Get real folks!
- [quote]Apparently that only applies when you're the thief. You're welcome to go ahead and let your cable company rip you off.
It's my choice to pay them. Do you generally think high prices justify theft, or only when you can get away with it?
- [quote][R128] hasn't noticed how many HBO and Showtime shows end up on Amazon Prime, HuluPlus and Netflix.
That's correct. I haven't noticed. The prices are kind of high, but it might make sense. How quickly do they show up for sale?
- [quote]It's my choice to pay them. Do you generally think high prices justify theft, or only when you can get away with it?
I'm not a thief. I pay for Netflix, HuluPlus and Amazon Prime.
You apparently enjoy giving your money away to crooks. I'm pretty finicky about who I allow to steal from me.
- You said anything is available online within 30 minutes. That is a clear reference to torrents.
- No r146 it's the regular streaming sites like 1channel and watchseries. That shit gets up there FAST.
- Really goes to show you the age/generational differences on DL when streaming sites are actually controversial. Everybody I know under 35 uses them.
- don't you get viruses from illegal downloads? feck that!
Hulu Plus? I took a look and all the shows are old! nothing interesting to me.
- Those channels are just another form of theft.
- [quote]Really goes to show you the age/generational differences on DL when streaming sites are actually controversial. Everybody I know under 35 uses them.
What is it you think will drive people to create TV series and movies in the future? They are very expensive to make. If everyone is watching them for free, where will the money come from?
- It depends on the show as to how long it takes, R144. I don't know what factors are involved, but some shows take longer than others. I'm still waiting for Enlightened.
It's not that expensive when you consider you can watch a weekly series for around $3 per HD episode on Amazon Instant Video, if that's how you want to do it. Amazon offers a deal if you want to watch each episode as they become available. You're still saving a substantial amount over what you pay for cable. I've done that with a few series and I'm thinking about using it to watch season 3 of The Killing.
What I've discovered I enjoy even more is watching a year at a time or even an entire series, back to back with no commercials and no interruptions except for clicking a button to watch the next episode. The major downside to watching that way is how quickly most themes become grating.
- Well, those channels are not going to go away.
- [quote]Hulu Plus? I took a look and all the shows are old! nothing interesting to me.
Are you serious?
- Jesus, people -- if you want to watch CBS, buy a fucking $10 antenna. It's legal and free, and unless you live some remote area, it will probably work fine.
- [quote]What I've discovered I enjoy even more is watching a year at a time or even an entire series, back to back with no commercials and no interruptions except for clicking a button to watch the next episode. The major downside to watching that way is how quickly most themes become grating.
I do too. I just watched the first seasons of The Wire and Suits that way. They call it binge viewing.
[quote]Well, those channels are not going to go away.
I wouldn't be so sure.
- R152, good for you. But I like to watch them when they are released.
Also, I prefer to deal with 1 company. I don't like giving my info to too many companies for privacy and security reasons. I would imagine it's such a hassle when i have to pay 5 different companies just to watch TV.
I don't really care for CBS, I only care about the programs I watch on showtime. TWC said CBS wants 600% increase. Fuck CBS, I hope TWC don't cave in to them.
- Binge viewing. Good description. Thanks for that, R156.
I binge-viewed the first two years of Justified. Very nice.
- Our CBS affiliate was not affected and is still up and running but I lost Showtime and Flix because of this blackout. Right now, the only show I watch on Showtime is Dexter. Hope they resolve this soon.
- [quote]Jesus, people -- if you want to watch CBS, buy a fucking $10 antenna. It's legal and free, and unless you live some remote area, it will probably work fine.
Do you still get HD with an antenna?
- R157, Netflix and HuluPlus do an automatic monthly withdrawal so I don't even notice. Amazon Prime does its withdrawal annually. No hassle involved.
I like 1company, but I actually prefer Watch Series.
- R160 As posted above, HD is BETTER with an antenna than with cable, because the signal is not compressed.
- [quote]good for you. But I like to watch them when they are released.
I can't justify spending $250/month to watch a show when it's released.
- yes, you do, R160.
If you have an HD tv, of course.
- 1channel has abondoned its original domain and is now operating via the government of Tonga. That doesn't sound like a long-term business to me
- Who cares, R165? Long-term, short-term, all we care about is watching TV.
R160, Amazon's current indoor HD antennas. I have a Leaf and it's great.
LetMeWatchThis.ch Admin Warns Users Not To Use 1Channel.ch
1Channel is one of the world’s largest streaming movie and TV show portals but at the moment it’s working through a domain crisis. According to an admin, the 1Channel.ch domain has been “compromised”.
Last Friday we posted an update on a problem being faced by 1Channel.ch, a site that’s also known by its former name of LetMeWatchThis.ch.
Both domains used to direct to one site but last week the 1Channel.ch domain stopped working.
“We are having some issues with the 1channel.ch domain, please use letmewatchthis.ch domain in the mean time,” the site said.
Now a more serious problem has raised its head.
The 1Channel.ch domain is now working again and appears to display the correct LetMeWatchThis.ch site. However, on closer inspection it appears that 1Channel.ch now redirects to a clone of LetMeWatchThis, not the real site.
In a further indication that something is wrong, 1Channel’s forum section is not only out of date but whole sections are missing. LetMeWatchThis on the other hand appears to be working just fine.
“Do NOT use 1channel.ch domain, it has been compromised,” warn the operators of LetMeWatchThis.ch.
So, in summary – LetMeWatchThis.ch is now the real site and 1Channel.ch should be considered a fake/clone until further notice – logging in there should be avoided.
- [quote]Who cares, [R165]? Long-term, short-term, all we care about is watching TV.
I was responding to R153.
- I pay about $170 for cable and internet every month. Of course I would like to pay less but I get lots of channels esp the international ones, I'm learning to speak Mandarin so I watch them.
R166, what channels and programs can you get with that? I'm sorry but I'm a dummy.
- You can get any local broadcast channel (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, PBS, CW, independent channels, Univision, Telemundo, etc.) with an antenna. No cable-only channels.
I guess this is confusing for people who weren't around when there were only three or four channels.
- R169, I get all of the digital channels that broadcast within a fairly wide viewing area. I'm close to Mexico so there's a lot of Mexican TV available. Most of the digital channels I don't bother with, because it's crap like Xtian stuff. You pick and choose what stations you get so it's up to you.
I get all of the local network TV stations, and some of those stations offer several choices. My local PBS station, for example, has six alternatives besides the regular PBS programming. The NBC affiliate has a movie channel.
The picture quality is beautiful. My neighbor has cable and I get a much better HD picture with my digital antenna.
- Verizon FiOS will not let you buy internet service without TV service. I pressed them about this and they ultimately said I could do it but the price would be the same as internet plus TV.
I'm pretty sure this is a violation of federal antitrust law.
- Is CBS still off the air for people?
- R171 Yes, thanks. I forgot to mention all of the digital sub-channels (e.g., 4.2, 5.3, etc.) available over the air. There are where you'll usually find the new specialized networks like MeTV, Antenna, Bounce, This, VeMe, Create, et. al.
- I have no idea why most of you are bashing TW and giving CBS a pass... CBS has mostly crap shows, and is demanding outrageous payment for them and their mediocre audiences, compared to other networks. Which is why there's this disagreement to begin with.
- Cutting the cable cord: A step-by-step guide
- R175, I'm on TWC's side and hope they don't cave in.
someone on my FB posted that he stuck a paper clip into where the cable goes and he gets digital tv. that's all he has and hulu. lol
- (R25) I don't see Showtime on demand on the guide. What channel (number) is it ?...I need Dexter. thanks
- Is there a good service for locating where a particular TV show is streamable? The one recommended in that USAToday article linked in R176 only seems to work for movies.
- R178, showtime on demand is not available. I'm in NY. It's channel 220 for me.
- Dexter for R178:
- CBS still off the air will I live.
- No, r182, it's ON THE AIR.
It's only OFF TWC.
Type in your address and see if a simple antenna will pick it up.
- (R181) THANK YOU...& everyone else for the help
- Julie Chen is a mega bitch.
- On my cable listing I no longer have CBS but instead STARZ Kids and Family.
Kill me now!
- R186, same here lol.
All I gotta say is this better be over before the new season of HOMELAND starts!!!
- For r187.
- Showtimeanytime is the equivalent of HBOGO on the internet. Of course, CBS doesn't allow TWC to offer it to it's customers who subscribe to Showtime. Another reason to hate CBS. I quess they wanted a Kings ransom for that, too.
- I am on the LA area and there is a Miley Cyrus concert on what should be CBS. WTF
- Miley Cyrus VS STARZ Friends and Family?
There are no winners. We both lose.
- Big Brother is coming on in a few minutes, wtf am I supposed to do??
- r132 doesn't even understand the difference between theft and copyright infringement; how on earth do you expect him to know how to use the internet well enough to find one of the thousands of streaming sites searchable on google and hit play?
- Use a wire hanger for an antenna, r192.
- I dumped my cable subscription (RCN) in April and signed up for Aereo. I also have an antenna and watch all local channels (including 2) live all the time. And I don't miss cable at all....I can usually see what I want to online. However, this winter I will probably sign back up just to get ESPN (if someone can tell me how to get ESPN without all the other channels, I'd be happy to learn).
- ESPN is actually the only thing that is preventing me from cutting cable too.
- When will today's Big Brother be available online?
- Those of you who watch "Big Brother" have bigger issues to deal with than losing CBS.
- ooooo r198 is so smart and above it all....let's trolldar them and see what their topics of interest are!!!!!!
- It can't be watched online by TWC cable customers with Internet because that's being blocked as well.
TWC and CBS idn't meet at all over the weekend, and there's no plans to meet next week either.
- Any ideas on how long this stalemate will last? I'm guessing it will be resolved by the time the new season starts in September, if not before.
- R197, some of the streaming sites we've linked in this thread will let you watch Big Brother (shudder).
- My guess is it will end Monday.
Soon the talent...Letterman etc. will begin complaining.
- A poster in this thread said earlier that even though TWC cable customers have been blocked from BB online, this poster was able to access BB via wireless on ipad, using some other network I'm assuming. Not sure if true but just putting it out there.
I don't give a shit about CBS, just want my showtime back.
- If you cut the cord, how exactly do you DVR? I haven't watched commercials or a particular show when it's actually airing in ten years. It would be absurd and impractical to go back to that type of viewing.
It's worth it for me to pay 170 a month for Internet and cable simply for the fact that I can watch whatever I want whenever. I LOATHE TWC with the heat of a thousand suns, but with all of those ridiculous work arounds (streaming box like AppleTV for $99, HD antenna for $59 or more, several subscriptions Hulu, Netflix, etc. running over $25 a month, plus all the iTunes season subscriptions for AMC, HBO, Bravo, etc. that are all north of $45 apiece, and the fact that you will still need high speed internet for $75 a month to run all these things, and no recording capability,) I don't see how it's workable. I'd rather have the convenience, and if you do all the numbers I think TWC will still come out cheaper, per month.
- Yup, ESPN is why I don't cut cable too. I need my tennis, football, and NBA highlights. That's actually what I watch the most.
Couldn't give a shit about CBS. Except the Good Wife.
- You're overthinking this, R206.
First of all, you don't need DVR. The streaming sites store the programs; you don't have to. You can go onto the sites whenever you want to watch your shows.
Most people who cut the cable have Netflix, HuluPlus and Amazon Prime. Netflix and HuluPlus are $9/mo each; Amazon is $79/yr, less than $25/mo for all three. My wifi connection is $35/mo. Monthly total for all is $60.
Roku or Apple is a one-time expense. I've had my Roku about three years and it cost around $90, hardly a major expense. My digital antenna cost less than $30.
You can go the iTunes route if you want, but I never have because it's unnecessary.
Go ahead and pay your cable company $170/mo. You're the sucker PT Barnum was talking about.
- Where I live, in the NC Triangle I can get CBS, NBC, PBS by antenna but not ABC. The next town over they can get ABC but not PBS. I was watching CBS shows online, but with TWC now I can't. So I'm switching my internet provider so I can get a better price and get CBS. I got rid of cable ages ago. I use Hulu, Netflix and You Tube for a great deal of my entertainment. You Tube has tons of British documentaries from the past 20 years that keep me very entertained. I'm not immediately in the loop with shows like Breaking Bad and Dexter and True Blood but I end up seeing them eventually thanks to Netflix and DVDs. We still have a mom and pop "video" store that survived Blockbuster and they get all the good DVD TV shows for rental. Then there's Red Box.
And then the best of all, I saved my VCRs, and my tapes. I have two of them. I continue to tape things on my VCRs.
- I'm in Palm Springs where our local NBC affiliate has been blacked out onTime Warner.
- Today Time Warner Cable is airing other programs on the Channel 2 and Channel 2 High Definition station in L.A. The descriptions are generic for the programs that you cannot see.
On KCAL 9, a CBS affiliate, they still have the hostile message showing.
Everyone should call TWC to complain. They have plenty of (our) money from cable, phone and internet services.
- If you're stupid enough to have Time Warner you deserve whatever crap you get.
- NBC r209...? are you sure?
Yes, apparently Time Warner is in another dispute with stations owned by Journal Broadcast Group, based out of Milwaukee. The stations in their portfolio appear to be of various network affiliations, not just CBS. My two cents to this deabate: The cable companies are being especially greedy in demanding retransmission fees from the the networks, considering that consumers can access the channels for free over the air, just like in the days of the three network universe.
- Sure as shitting.
- E: The cable companies are being especially greedy
INDEED. Never enough of our $$$$ will make them happy.
- The Young and the Restless runs on TVGN on TWC. I don't think it carries BB.
- God, you useless queens. David Letterman has been ovah for some time. Big Brother sucks the big one. Shall I go on?
- F and F for their internalized homophobia
- What is on CBS that is worth watching?
Are they same day episodes?
- So, will we get CBS back on Monday?
- Thanks to the previous posters who suggested Aereo. I signed up today for the 30 day free tria, linked it to my Roku and recorded a few CBS programs and watched with no problems.
- I think they show the previous day's episode at 10 a.m. and then the same day episode at 7 p.m., r220. I never watched it on TVGN , only saw it advertised, but I will watch Monday if CBS is still off my t.v.I'm assuming SoapNet went off the air?
- Yes, SoapNet went off the air.
- Thanks for the info R223
- The NYTimes says that this could go on for at least 10 days and up to 6 weeks.
- An antenna does not work for most of NYC as the buildings block most transmission. TWC has this city in a death grip. There's nothing we can do here. Barely decent internet that doesn't fail every five minutes or lag out costs at least $75.
The "solutions" presented here are worthless and irrelevant for 99% of people who aren't in the flyovers.
- You assume 99% of those who aren't flyovers live in skyscraper land?
We flyovers are laughing at you, you know.
- R227 I agree with you for the most part, but internet (which is the only service we subscribe to TWC for) is just less than $40/month for high speed/turbo.
When it's fast, it's fast. It's just totally unreliable. I miss Fios.
We cut cable completely when Fios wasn't an option in our new apartment. Still get to watch all the same shows, just a few hours later via download. No extra costs, no ads. Totally worth it.
- aereo worked great last night. And $75 for internet is still a lot less than paying for internet and cable.
Besides, NYC has other cable options- Verizon, etc.
Don't be such a defeatist R227.
- Cable and internet are redundant. No need to pay two bills for the same functionality.
When live sports bails on cable, cable will be done.
- Did you have a stroke r228, or did you fail reading comprehension?
- SoapNet is still available on DirecTv.
- [quote] We cut cable completely when Fios wasn't an option in our new apartment. Still get to watch all the same shows, just a few hours later via download. No extra costs, no ads.
And no Fox News. It would be great if people leaving cable companies couls cause the demise of Fox News. Though I have seen it as a Roku channel. I hope Roku isn't offering it for free.
- Last year's Cablevision/CW dispute lasted more than 2 months. While I don't think this will be resolved today, I don't think it will be that drawn out for several reasons.
Obviously, CBS and its sister networks draw more viewers than the CW. Football season will start soon, so the NFL will probably pressure the two sides to work something out so fans don't miss games.
On a local level, candidates for New York's citywide offices will be airing more and more commercials as the Sept. 10 primary nears and they won't want any potential voters to miss out. In fact, they're probably mad right now that commercials they've already paid for are not being seen by the full potential audience.
- Does anyone under 70 even watch CBS? As for Showtime, there are workarounds to get their shows.
- Unfortunately R234, Fox News fans will still watch even if they don't have cable. My aunt "cut the cord" but she still watches it. Last year, I had the joy of watching my family watch inane "War on Christmas" segments via Roku.
- Shit. r236. CBS is the most watched free broadcast network in the U.S. Aaaand, they just won the coveted 18-49 demographic for the first time. Young, old and in between watch CBS. Give it a rest. The question is, who the fuck is watching NBC? At least ABC has Scandal and Modern Family. While I don't watch Person of Interest and Elementary on a regular basis, the episodes I did see were good.
- What CBS show got ratings in that demographic, R238?
- Across the board, r239. It is the network most popular with that demographic. The idea that CBS is still the old fogey network is outdated. I think that mantel goes to NBC.
- Okay, so is anybody getting CBS yet? I hooked up an antenna, but it's not working.
- R241 Did you change your "INPUT" setting to "antenna" and scan for all available channels first?
- R241, did you make sure your TV is close to the window? try sticking a paper clip in where the cable goes, someone said it worked for them.
- What are commercials for on network TV? And what do we pay cable companies monthly charges for television access? I am really confused about why so many hands are out for the same piece of pie. Oh, I know. To screw the consumer.
- R244, the usual BS commercials for cars, insurance, and during daytime, it's household items or for pets.
- I know what, R245. My question was more why are there commercials on network TV in the first place - to pay the bills for the network. And the cable companies make their money by charging a monthly fee to consumers who use their services. Why isn't this an adequate arrangement for both?
- [quote] Does anyone under 70 even watch CBS?
- R242 and R243, I will try that now...thanks. Under The Dome is on tonight, and I will be very upset if I can't watch it.
- If you do miss it, r248, it will be right here about an hour after it airs.
In both regular and HD versions.
- R249, do you get viruses from downloads etc? do they plant a bug in your computer and collect info on you? like which sites you go to etc?
- [quote]do you get viruses from downloads etc?
Just put a condom over your router.
- I just heard something about the CEO of Time Warner has now made an offer to CBS to basically make CBS a premium channel for viewers like HBO, Showtime, etc. No word yet on a response from CBS.
- I'm getting Starz Kids on the CBS channel. Thanks Obama!
- Here's your update R252. More penis waving bullshit
- yeah, fuck CBS, I don't know anyone who watches that crap.
60 minutes hasn't been the same since Mike Wallace left. I hardly watch it anymore.
I watch the good wife sometimes but the timing sucks, football always run long and fucks up my DVR recording.
That greedy pig was paid 70million last year. No CEO deserves 70 million, it's not as if he discovered a cure for cancer. Fucking hate him and his ugly witch for a wife.
- Here is Les Moonves (and Julie Chen's) home address :
Leslie Moonves : 210 Ladera Dr., Beverly Hills, CA. 90210
I say, bombard him with letters about how irresponsible he, and CBS execs., are being, and treating the TV watching public like crap.
- I'm thinking maybe write to the corporations that buy ads on CBS would be a better solution. Tell them we're not going to buy their products if they advertise on CBS. Bottom line is $$$ talks.
- Thanks, r256!
- Latest episode of Under the Dome is up.
- Can you people GET THE FUCK OVER IT already?
- On the Upper West Side of Manhattan and I can get CBS using a $10 antenna. I am in a low rise among many higher buildings. The only channels I cannot get are ABC, CW and Channel 13 PBS.
- [quote]Can you people GET THE FUCK OVER IT already?
NO, I can't! I'm already going through major analysis, because I can't enjoy my comfort TV shows. I may even have to go through therapy, because of this!
- Anyone getting CBS yet??
- NO, R263 and R263. I am PISSED. This sucks big time.
Poker? Mah Jong? A book? ARGH!!
- Every time I see the topic line for this thread, I hear Charlton Heston bellowing "THEY DID IT! THEY BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!"
- CBS eats people, PEOPLE!
- Have they negotiated yet? What happened so far?
- How is it going to affect the programming on CBS?
- What a bunch of losers paying for cable these days.
- Seriously people, just cut cable altogether and download the shows you watch for free.
I use Vuze. Downloads tv shows and movies in seconds, and can stream it directly to tv (assuming you have a wifi enabled tv). Simple as that.
- CBS are suggesting you guys who get TWC switch over to FiOS or Dish or another provider that may be available in your area. I thought I'd pass that along.
- Yeah. transfer to Dish and then you can lament the loss of AMC!
- [quote] On the Upper West Side of Manhattan and I can get CBS using a $10 antenna. I am in a low rise among many higher buildings. The only channels I cannot get are ABC, CW and Channel 13 PBS.
That's ironic since channel 13 broadcast studio is on the UWS.
- "An antenna does not work for most of NYC as the buildings block most transmission."
Not my experience. Like someone else who posted here, I live on a low floor of a low-rise building (mine is in midtown west), and I get all of the basic channels through a digital antenna, which I think you can purchase for under $20. Sometimes there are drop-outs on certain channels, I guess depending on the weather and other interference, but for the most part, reception is steady and 100 percent clear (because it's a digital signal).
- Okay, does anyone know when CBS will reach a settlement? No one has answered my question yet, and I'm going through major withdraw!
CBS wants $2 per TW cable subscriber (even if they never watch CBS)
Time Warner suggested "A-la-carte" pricing, allowing customers to pay $2 if they want CBS.
CBS threw a shit fit at that proposal because they KNOW their audience numbers will fall off a cliff if people have to pay for COMMERCIAL TELEVISION.
I hate cable companies but I'm actually rooting for TWC in this one. Fuck CBS! Commercial Television should be FREE. (That's why they have commercials)
- Thank you, r277.
- Greedy to the Max, CBS and TWC.
The country is coming out of or still in Great Recession depending who you talk to. And these companies fight at the expense of their viewers.
No wonder there are a few people who do not own a television set. They may be smarter than the rest of us...
- Why do networks have to be so greedy? This isn't fair!
- Everyone should call TWC to complain.
Dish satellite does not seem to have these conflicts, ... yet...
- I agree with Time Warner. Who the hell wants another inflated cable bill (if TW gives in the customers will be the ones that SUFFER with extra fees). CBS is being greedy and now they are paying the price.
- If TWC caves, then you can expect the other networks to expect the same and your bill will continue to increase. But maybe then we will get a la carte as an alternative. People like me would only subscribe to those channels they actually watch and can't get online (e.g., ESPN and Turner Classic Movies), which could be the end for several minor cable networks (no loss, in my opinion).
- is it still off in LA?
- Yes R284. I'll be there soon.
- Didn't someone say they can see CBS shows on the CBS website using their iPad? I don't care but my friend is quite anxious to know.
- You might try reading the thread, R287. I think it was said about a third of the way through.
Like you, I'm too lazy to go back and read the whole thing but you're the one who wants to know.
- Yes, it's true..r287 just download the CBS app from the iTunes Store on your iPad.
- I'll tell him to give that a try. Thanks, R289.
- Also, I just watched Big Brother on Barry Diller's Aereo.com . It's free for one month.
- At least TVGN shows all of the week's BB episodes on Friday nights from 8-11 pm EST. I'll catch up that way.
- The show usually appears on CBS.com around midnight Pacific Time of the day it airs (assuming you don't have Time Warner Cable)
- Thanks, R293, but I like to watch it on my TV. I don't mind waiting 24 hours.
- When will the agreement be made? It's overdue NOW!
- Time Warner wants to offer a la carte? Bullshit. They are kings of the ridiculous tie-ins. You want HBO? You can have HBO and Showtime. You want AMC? You have to take the Golf Channel.
- That's ridiculous! Why so much greed for one channel? I don't get it.
- Yes, r287, I can watch CBS.com on my iPad but I don't subscribe to TWC internet service. I have a WiFi hot spot with Clear Channel. TWC has blocked CBS.com for internet customers. The web site does not have real time viewing. You can access episodes that have already aired but no live streaming.
- [quote] Yeah. transfer to Dish and then you can lament the loss of AMC!
AMC and all of their channels are back on Dish, hon. And they have been for awhile.
- Thanks, R298. I will alert my friend. He wants to know because he wants to see his soaps (not sure which ones he watches).
- At the hearing Thursday in front of the NYC Council about the standoff, CBS said all the other cable companies (Cablevision, AT&T, RCN, Fios, Dish, etc.) have already agreed to the higher fee the network wants, and have passed that charge on to their subscribers some time ago. So TWC is the only one trying to keep fees down.
Looks like this won't be over for at least a month, folks...
- I am a TWC subscriber in NYC and tomorrow I am having VIOS installed. This is not just because of the CBS thing but also because TWC internet speed sucks.
- CBS wants TWC to pay two dollars for every subscriber, even if they don't watch CBS. I am sure there are some Americans who don't watch CBS because I don't watch anything on NBC, including news. We will be footing the bill so that people without cable can continue to access CBS for "free" while CBS gets paid ginormous fees to air commercials, and makes a huge profit, and then gets paid handsomely for offering "free" tv to TWC subscribers. I guess this is their version of Three Card Monty. The only way to really hurt CBS is to start boycotting advertisers. I don't know why but I have no interest in watching Dexter right now. For some reason I think it's a show that is more suited to watching when the leaves are falling and there is a nip in the air. Seems off to have it airing in the Summer. I will buy the Blue-ray DVD when it comes out or catch up later when Showtime comes back on. Same with Homeland. I can wait for the Blue-ray of season three if I have to. The shows that most interest me are on HBO anyway. Suck it, CBS.
- All TMC users in L.A. and NYC should call TWC and express their displeasure that they are having regular channels removed despite a monthly bill in the mail for the privilege of have TWC bring regular television to your home.
- And what do they say back?
- Looks like another week here in NYC without CBS on TWC. There was a rumor they'd work something out because of a Jets game.
- I'm also curious how TW's is responding to complaints about this. I picture Lily Tomlin's Ernestine the operator on the other end saying "We don't care. We don't have to care. We're the phone company."
- The TWC billing people were very nice and apologetic about No CBS. The ones you talk to did not put this greedy stalemate into effect.
Everyone affected should call TWC and express their displeasure at paying up to or over $100.00 a month for television service and having channels taken away by corporate Greed.
It's a 5 minute call. Time well spent. Pollsters know for every person who takes the time to call, 100 more people agree.
This is why these things keep happening. Corporations do not care about their customers.
Please call TWC
- I have TWC and I don't get CBS right now. If I call them, iIt would be to applaud their refusal to give CBS huge fee hikes. I agree with them.
- r307, TWC has responsibility to give customers regular programming. Do not buy into their poor me routine. Time Warner Cable has more money than CBS.
- [quote]Everyone affected should call TWC and express their displeasure at paying up to or over $100.00 a month for television service and having channels taken away by corporate Greed.
TWC didn't remove your channels, CBS did.
TWC is refusing CBS' $2 per subscriber fee and CBS pulled their channels.
CBS "could" continue to let TWC air their channels while negotiations continue, but they chose not to in the hopes you will blame that EVIL MEAN TWC and put pressure on them to cave.
If CBS wins this dispute, you will be paying $2/month for CBS while people with antennas pay $0
- Have they reached an agreement yet? It's already been a week already!
- CBS would have more money if they didn't pay Les Moonves $70 million per year. I am with Time Warner on this one, even though I miss Big Brother. If I call anyone to complain, it will be CBS.
- How much do they need to pay the networks? I don't get it.
- How come dish cable TV does not have a problem with CBS?
- Not just Dish, R315. Subscribers to other cable services are getting CBS.
Maybe CBS is trying a new strategy and decided to start with TWC.
- [quote]How come dish cable TV does not have a problem with CBS?
DISH is not cable, it's satellite. (Although that has nothing to do with the answer to your question.)
- It's CBS that are the bad guys here. THEY are the ones who pulled your channels. TWC is trying to keep rates down.
The US Government should start charging CBS tons more for the use of the airwaves and pass those $ on the the American public.
- Anything that hurts the cable companies gets my vote. Down with cable. My antenna for digital TV is wonderful and provides unmatched image quality.
- Those of us who have been using torrents for years are laughing at all of you.
- I have Directv and love it. I'm glad my building allowed it, because I know many in NYC do not.
Screw TWC. I suffered under their service and pricing for years before getting Directv.
Cable/Satellite is an absolute necessity R320. How else can you watch Football, Basketball and Baseball?
- Pirate Bay. You just need to adjust your expectations a bit about how "immediate" everything must be.
- [quote]Those of us who have been using torrents for years are laughing at all of you.
I will laugh at you when someone breaks into your home and steals all your stuff.
- I'm surprised CBS' sponsors haven't weighed in, or maybe they have behind the scenes.
If I paid for ads thinking that show was going to be aired in the NYC and L.A. metropolitan areas, I would be mighty unhappy with CBS.
- I just switched to Verizon Fios in NYC and the difference is staggering. For all NYC TWC users, I implore you to switch ASAP. I am very happy I did. And Big Brother is On Demand so i was able to get all caught up!
- [quote] If I paid for ads thinking that show was going to be aired in the NYC and L.A. metropolitan areas, I would be mighty unhappy with CBS.
The ads are still airing in the NYC and L.A. metropolitan areas.
No one needs a cable or satellite provider to be able to watch broadcast networks.
- Sorry, R326. I should have said:
[quote]If I paid for ads thinking that show was going to be aired [bold]to the millions of cable subscribers[/bold] in the NYC and L.A. metropolitan areas, I would be mighty unhappy with CBS.
Happy now? Can you go get rid of that bowel movement you've been holding onto for days?
- I live in the LA area (although not in a city served by TWC) and am amazed at the incessant commercials (especially the ones with Bill Cowher, with and without the "Hot in Cleveland" cast) for Time Warner urging people to switch. (It was like this pre-CBS problem, too.) Who in their right mind would sign up for TWC as a new subscriber knowing they couldn't get some basic channels?
- Time Warner Cable Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over CBS Blackout:
- Good. Enough already. I want my CBS Sunday Morning Show back already.
- I fail to see how a judge would even let that suit proceed, since TWC isn't the one who pulled the channels, CBS did.
- Is CBS back on yet? I'm already seeing a psychiatrist.
- Did anyone write to the advertisers to complain about CBS? Tell them not to advertise on CBS? Surely the CUNT BROADCASTING STATION is gonna be charging them more in future. They are next!
This better be resolved before Homeland starts!!!
- CBS Sunday Morning is still showing re-runs of past segments (e.g. the grilled cheese restaurant trend). But you can still watch the latest one online.
- So who's winning? TWC or CBS?
- nobody i know gives a shit about CBS.
- r323 Oh, please. You forgot to to sign your post Hollywood Against Piracy by the way, or whatever group they've formed.
- R334: Here's the thing. My internet is Time Warner and I am NOT able to watch CBS anything
at home. I just get the now tired "We aren't allowed to show you anything anytime ever" bullshit message.
I do watch Big Brother reruns at work as they are Charter Cable and CBS is not blocked there.
I too will be seeking therapy.
- r329, GO
How does Verizon Fios work? Cable or dish?
With Direct TV, do you need separate receivers for each room with a television?
- With Directv you get one dish and then a separate cable box for each TV in the apartment.
- TY r340. The boxes are wireless?
TWC has outages all the time esp. at night. I plan to move away from them due to their poor track record and now lack of std. channel.
- The boxes aren't wireless. There is (obviously) a power cord that needs to be plugged in, and then a cable is still needed to connect the boxes to the signal coming in from the dish.
My roommate and I each have box in our rooms and then there is a third box in the living room. The guy ran the wire very efficiently through the apartment and it's not unsightly at all.
Btw, you should definitely check with your landlord before making the switch. Some won't let the dishes be put on the roof.
- In NYC, whenever DirecTV goes out, you know you've 5 minutes until severe heavy rain hits.
If the signal can't get through the clouds, there's some bad shit coming.
- Any updates? Are the two sides even having discussions?
- No change. Could last for up to 6 months according to local CBS affiliate person.
- For all you TWC Big Brother fans, just get Aereo.com, Barry Dillers antenna in the clouds. I've been watching Big Brother on my computer now since the CBS Blackout. The first month is free, so hopefully the blackout will be over before I have to start paying.
And I am using my sister-in-law's FIOS sign in name to get Showtime Anywhere to watch Dexter on my computer as well.
- I got my time warner bill and noticed they didn't credit me anything for not being able to watch ShowTime (which I pay for).
I wonder if I should call and protest... anyone tried that?
- R346 Aereo is only in NY, Boston and Atlanta.
- Do it r347...they'll credit you but only if you ask.
- I just checked my Time Warner bill and I was credited $6.40 for Showtime. That's for two weeks so that amount is correct (12.00 per month). I didn't ask. It was credited automatically.
Whatever. I still want the Dexter shows I've missed.
- [quote]Whatever. I still want the Dexter shows I've missed.
- Yeah, no credits on my TW bill. Just the same outrageous price they always bill me for.
- Thanks 346, I just signed up hah.
Mainly for UTD..
- Are they negotiating? Is it ever coming back?
- CEO Leslie Moonves says the deal CBS just signed with Verizon’s FiOS TV in New York, Los Angeles, and Dallas, among other markets, is virtually identical to the one offered to Time Warner Cable. “This important deal was reached swiftly and amicably in just a few days after our conversations began,” CBS chairman Leslie Moonve said pointedly in a memo to staff. “You should know that Time Warner Cable has been offered almost exactly the same deal for CBS carriage to which Verizon has agreed.” TWC is entirely to blame for the “lack of urgency”on its retrans talks with the network, Moonves said
Rest of article at link.
Still f--k you, CBS!!
- Time Warner is giving away free antennas to their customers in Los Angeles.
- I live in NYC and got an email from them yesterday that mentioned the free antennas, so I guess they're giving them away here, too.
- WLNY, the CBS affiliate on Long Island, was supposed to be blocked too but it's on in Brooklyn. Usually the reception for that channel is shit, always breaking up like it's been scrambled, but it looks good now. I'm watching On Golden Pond. I will be able to see the local CBS news on this channel. I absolutely hate NBC and ABC for local news so this is a nice surprise.
- R358 Are you watching it on cable or over the air? If you're watching it over the air, why can't you get WCBS that way? If on cable, why would it be breaking up?
Also, WLNY is not a CBS affiliate. It's OWNED by CBS, but doesn't show their first-run network programming. It's like KCAL in Los Angeles-- part of a duopoly.
- I'm watching WLNY on Time Warner Cable. I don't work in Tech Support so I don't know why the signal for that channel is always breaking up. I live in South Brooklyn so it just might be the distance. When it was announced that CBS was removing it's channels from TWC, WLNY was included. I am going to invest in an HD antenna anyway. I'm buying a larger tv and the one I use now has a built in DVD player, so with the antenna, it will be a good set for the bedroom. Right now, the only thing I really miss is my local news on CBS.
- I'm watching WLNY/Ch 55 here in Manhattan on Time Warner. They're actually showing the live eviction Big Brother episode on Thursday night at 9. This must be like what they did last year when football pushed it on CBS/Ch 2 to the wee hours of the morning.
- Any updates as to what is going on with Time Warner and CBS? Are they even negotiating? This has gone on longer than I had expected.
- I have heard nothing R362 and yes, I figured this would be a week or two at most.
I miss Dexter.
- For r363
- Did you all receive the e-mail with the free PPV movie offer yet? I think I am going to order Passion, the new one by DePalma. It's getting decent reviews.
- I think it's interesting that you don't even hear any talk about this anymore -- i.e., it's like CBS is off TWC now and this is just the new norm, accept it or leave it (or go get an antenna if it's that big a deal to you).
- Cable is 20th century.
- I've been going through major meltdown, since they took away my CBS. I'm pretty much seeing my psychiatrist more often.
- TWC must be hemorrhaging viewers, since they have a new ad running now that says "blackouts" occur with ALL cable systems, not just theirs.
(So don't try switching to Fios or Cablevision or RCN 'cause the same thing will happen again).
If they want to keep subscribers, they need to lower their rates. I just got my latest bill and I thought it would be a lot lower without CBS and Showtime, but NO - only $10 lower than my usual monthly bill. GREEDY BASTARDS.
- The Queen of Pop:
- They have replaced Starz Kids with the Hallmark Movie Channel on blacked out CBS local channels. That was really a free preview of Starz to attract new subscribers. TWC is trying to make back lost revenue by playing three card monte with us. I called last month to ask about a credit for Showtime since I already pay for Starz and wasn't getting anything in exchange for losing CBS. They gave me a seven dollar credit but then dropped Showtime from my Premium package and charged me a dollar more this month for the remaining premium channels. They also added a 1.62 credit from last month onto my bill and listed it as an unpaid balance on this months bill. I didn't cancel Showtime but they insisted I did. Some of the Max channels were missing and other channels were fucked up but they insisted there was no outage in my neighborhood. Therefore, no credit for lost service. Lo and behold, a couple of days before my service visit, the channels were all there and working. I hate them both but TWC is always looking to scam us.
- Well, the stalemate is officially over, and it was reached on Labor Day no less. I knew they weren't going to let it go beyond the start of the NFL season.
- We never lost CBS, only SHO and the CW affiliate. Our cable shits get their feed from TWC, and their on-screen guide had nothing for the upcoming 7 days on "Arrow" a week before the blackout ( had been catching up on this), so the blackout was predetermined, never a matter of bargaining.
Utter weasel shits all around