- [quote]ARE YOU SURPRISED that Henry Cavill and Kaley Cuoco’s relationship fizzled out so fast?
I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
- Just read it on D-Listed. Can all this pretending just end now ? It is all so ludicrous. P.R. people are not what they used to be. Give it a rest.
- I actually AM surprised that it ended so soon.
I assumed that it would run through the Summer and perhaps longer. Superman's a huge movie and Cavill's closet needs reinforcement. He's had three beards in a fairly short period of time. Are they trying to create the impression that he's a lothario? Oy.
They should hire Kate Upton. She's ridiculously expensive but the geek fanboys would love her.
- Jesus, this is a joke. Right? Oh. No.
- God, just come out already, Cavill. You can't even fake it.
Problem is that the PR make $$$ off the bearding so they don't want that. Lame.
- I predict a long period of perpetual bachelorhood with him smiling a lot and saying he just can't find the right girl.
- Is he actually going to be able to come out, though? They've dug him in pretty deep with the Gina Carano and Kaley Cuoco bullshit. He'll need to be outed - those two episodes tell me that his PR people are very invested in faking a heterosexual identity for him.
- Henry, did you intentionally look like you didn't care about your latest "relationship?" I think that you need to find an up and coming model, a Victorias' Secret type, that you really like as a person. Someone whom you could possibly imagine as your kid sister.
Help guide her career, when hanging out for coffee, show up on a few red carpets together, attend her modelling shoots, try to be a supportive friend. Then it will look somewhat believable, especially when she has a gig in another part of the country.
- I'm truly shocked. Amateurs!
- I told you, he didn't want Coffee, he wanted Tea!
- Isn't this unprecedented? Seriously. I've never seen an actor break up with 2 beards this quickly before.
Don't they realize it raises suspicion?
- This just makes him look unstable. Not boyfriend material.
- Isn't dating two weeks to see if you'd even be interested in being a boyfriend? He wasn't her boyfriend YET.
- A bearding test run?
I suppose it's possible.
- Bearding can be so itchy.
- This is bizarre. Something must have gone horribly wrong behind the scenes, or they really hated each other.
- R16 - THEY ARE BOTH GAY.
They were bearding long enough to throw any suspicion off their trails for a while.
- Now will all the straight 13-year-olds (or worse, women with a 13-year-old brain) leave DL?
It's worse than a roach infestation, because Raid doesn't work.
- What ass holes the paparazzi are. They ruined Kristen and Rob's relationship, now they kill another! Jerks!
- r17, I don't think Kaley's gay. I think it was a bad match at a bearding set-up. Here's my bet:
Henry and Gina got along pretty well, but once she realized she wasn't going to get Wonder Woman, she probably bailed. Henry spent the next month touring the world promoting Man of Steel, then when he got back to L.A., the "relationship" with Kaley was agreed upon. But two things happened, one we know for a fact is that nobody bought it and, in fact, were laughing and pointing; the other, hypothetically, is that Kaley and Henry seem like personality opposites -- I bet they didn't get along at all. So the situation was brought to a quick close.
- R19, You must be the only frau, not aware of the internet gossip sites, and reading up on these fauxmances. I strongly recommend it. Hysterical laughter helps the body deal with any kind of pain or injury.
- Contractually, who gets the groceries?
- R21 isn't very bright, is she?
- Probably Cuoco because Cavill is sleeping on couches.
- Henry, call me if you need a place to stay!!
- lol people didn't buy it, oops Kaley Cuoco, should meet rachel bilson she can give tips on on fake coupling...
- Was he ever a rentboy? He appears to have the lifestyle of one.
- Sweet sweet Henry Cavill needs a place to crash. Any takers?
- R23, What have you contributed to society lately, besides silly put downs?
- Oh, please. I had plenty of hit and run "relationships" back in the day - waaaay back in the day.
Usually summer romances that were fun and what life was all about.
- If his PR team is savvy, they'll have Henry photographed once a week out on a date with nobodies (PR interns, female friends, etc.) Fraus will go crazy thinking they have a chance.
- That's fine, R30 -- but 2 weeks doesn't even qualify as a "summer romance". More like a long weekend.
- Hypothetically-speaking: Let's pretend the guy isn't gay (stop laughing). Why couldn't they just fuck a few times and go their separate ways? Why does it have to be a relationship? They're both young and hot. Why not just have fun?
- r33 Because MOS is still in theatres. They want to sell more tickets. Relationships and break-ups create press. All PR is good PR. Ka-ching!
- Their people had totally different lives.
- I'm actually taken aback at the amount of disgusting glee some of these "fans" are displaying on various messageboards.
Henry has a fucked up fanbase.
- If they were interested in just having a fling, R30, their PR people wouldn't have put them in a position to be photographed like that.
Are people really so naive as to think that Henry is straight, and that Kaley was really interested in him? Wow.
- [quote]Henry has a fucked up fanbase.
Raging hormones can be a bitch.
- No, it's not just hormones, these bitches are just, vile, and bitter, and just plain mean. They can't be reasoned with. It's, unnerving. I weep for their futures.
- Are they in high school?
- At least we now know John Galecki and Kaley are straight.
See, she bumped his penis before bumping Henry's penis because of her straightness.
- Just embarrassing.
- He is going to turn into Jake Gyllenhaal if he lets his PR team control his every more. Henry needs to stay single and away from cameras. That's all I can say that [bold]might[/bold] help him.
- Say what you want about James Franco, but he was right about Cavill.
- [quote]No, it's not just hormones, these bitches are just, vile, and bitter, and just plain mean. They can't be reasoned with. It's, unnerving. I weep for their futures.
R39, you have more commas than you need. Please consider exchanging one for a semi-colon & donating the others to some worthy clauses.
- R45, this,is,datalounge,cunt,not,Harvard:!
- Not R45, but the post at R46 is just a mess.
Do you jerk off with those fingers?
- I'm just curious since I didn't know shit about this guy before MoS. Was there always speculation about his relationships or is this a new phenomenon? I mean I keep hearing about the other woman who was supposed to be Wonder Woman. Were they dating before he became Superman or did it happen after so as to help her get the role?
- R36, Start reading the message boards when Clooney shows up with his new beard, Monika Jakisic, who has a Diana Jenkins connection, if you want to see crazy fans.
- His lunatic fans want his dick and they will never get it - that's what it comes down to. Let's not pretend there's anything more to it.
- I remember Cavill being mentioned as gay here back in 2009.
- R50, Female fans do not always think like males. Most want a fantasy romance, a fairy tale. Quite different than "getting a star's dick." Likewise not every girl at a concert wants to bed the "rock god." Many know that fantasies are always so much better than reality.
- sorry. Let me try that again
- His people might pay too much attention to the press. I remember people saying that Gina seemed like an odd match as well, so they dumped her and hooked him up with someone wholesome and a "sweetheart". They probably went overboard with the photo-ops, because they thought people would be more receptive to Kaley. Instead the whole world laughed, and his fans didn't like her either, so she had to go too. The next beard will probably be a model, the Bradley Cooper/Joe Jonas/Leonardo Dicaprio way.
- [quote]... hooked him up with someone wholesome and a "sweetheart". They probably went overboard with the photo-ops ...
You think maybe? Grocery shopping, with enough ecologically correct bagsfull to supply a neighborhood? That looked like "Father Knows Best" or "The Donna Reed Show". Who writes this shit?
- These contracts are getting so short nowadays. I barely have time to get to the notary.
- huh? explain r44!! Please!!!
- When he had to take Cialis, she realized "Man of Steel" was just his character's name.
- [quote]Hypothetically-speaking: Let's pretend the guy isn't gay (stop laughing). Why couldn't they just fuck a few times and go their separate ways? Why does it have to be a relationship? They're both young and hot. Why not just have fun?[quote]
They announced via People Magazine that they were a couple. It then became official, when they hired the photographer to film it.
- [quote]Contractually, who gets the groceries?
Good point. And so ridiculous.
People who have a short-term fling like a one-night stand etc. don't go out buying tons of groceries together.
It's obvious they were trying to set them up as a long-term couple.
- I found some really interesting comments from a poster at the Henry Cavill IMDB board under the thread titled "What was the reasoning behind the staged supermarket photo op?". These comments are from a gay guy. He knows his stuff.
Post Edited: Wed Jul 10 2013 18:13
Lord, first Gina now this, and before that the controversial Ellen Whitaker. If I hadn't lived in L.A. for so long and known too many people in the "industry", I'd brush it off as nothing special. However, this is par for the course in P.R., especially with studio's banking $225 million on a fairly new actor and franchise reboot. It's interesting, I was speaking with a friend in marketing, and while reminiscing over the days when celebrity names were box office ticket items, he mentioned how that's changed. Names don't bring people in as much, it's all about viral marketing, merchandising, franchise.
This has prompted more concern over image as studio's are hiring lessor known actors as they negotiate for much lower fees and royalties in addition to contracts/riders than big names. The concern comes in from any "skeletons" the actor may have, new and cheap isn't without risk, just because names may not be bankable box office slam dunks, they can absolutely be failures in the face of public controversy.
Here comes the rub. Gay rumors plague a lot of male (and some female) celebrities for a reason: they're grounded in truth. Exhibit A: Henry Cavill has had gay rumors following him ~2004, when he lived between L.A. and N.Y.C. and openly dated fellow struggling American actor Corey Spears in West Hollywood. It wasn't uncommon in seeing them out and about. This posed a dubious issue, and in come the P.R. teams to "clean up" any image issues the mainstream public might take with the new rising star (see "Luke Evans" as a prime example). Pictures of Corey Spears and Henry were removed for "violation" rights, Corey "cleaned up" his social networking profiles, and Henry was thrust into mutually beneficial "romantic" relationships with up and coming women, most notably Gina Carano (who has had her share of gay rumors over the years).
Many believe Hollywood to be "liberal", I can assure you, the actors may appear as such but the producers, executives, CEO's - are extremely conservative. The "purse strings" call the shots, and many will not risk so much as a pimple on the face of their new bankable, $225 million dollar franchise leading man. It's not just "gay" rumors that plague celebrities and keep P.R. agents up at night, image in the face of drunk driving/alcoholism, personal beliefs/religion, drugs, "Mel Gibson" breakdowns - all are on P.R. houses lists of what not to promote. Sadly, being "gay" (or rumored to be) is worse than being a drug addict, the LGBT community faces the hardest battle in recent times for public acceptance and Hollywood will not risk their profits to stand behind an openly gay actor, especially on a billion dollar franchise. It's a shame that stunts such as these are staged, keeping the new franchise "it" actor in a good light for the public. That states more about humanity than anything, could women watch a blockbuster with an openly gay, hot, leading man? Could straight men (especially in the comic universe in this instance) rally around the new Superman is he was openly gay? You might claim, "sure! why not?!", I can assure you, the answer is generally no, and a risk Hollywood will not take.
On the heels of the success to "Man of Steel", the sequel is already under way, and Cavill's image has to be pristine to keep those ticket sales high. It disheartens me, as a supporter of equal rights for all, that general society will not accept a gay actor playing any role that isn't a gay stereotype. LGBT audiences haven't boycotted heterosexual actors playing gay roles, in fact most don't care, they've grown up with heterosexually flaunted at them form marketing and entertainment since childhood. It's important to realize this is a business, and as any business, image is everything.
So the next time you angrily dismiss the "is he gay" comment
- Second reply in same thread:
Many factors could be at play. Gina may have had an agreement for a stated period of time. Many instances, the studio's involved (in this case, Warner Bros. with "Man of Steel") are brokering said arrangements and handling P.R. in house. This would make the most sense given the time frame for the previous relationship. It isn't easy getting two actors together during interviews and appearances up to and during the release of a film. Having the leading man (especially a rather unknown actor for a relaunch of a billion dollar franchise hinging on the success of the first release) appear sans girlfriend for press junkets and releases will have an impact of the publics initial reaction and acceptance of said actor reprising a role of an admired American icon (toss in him being the first non-American actor to fill in Reeves' shoes). Assuming (and most likely, rightly so) that Warner Bros. handled the P.R. and relationship(s) during the "Man of Steel" production, it certainly stands to reason Henry Cavill's personal agent/P.R. representative(s) would "broker" the next public relations(hip). Henry Cavill is [for better or for worse] thrust into the spotlights eye; studios, agents, production companies, et al will be watching closely as the numbers roll in from "Man of Steel" to determine Cavill's longevity and bankability. While "Man of Steel" has ironed out the certainty of sequels in the years to come, audiences are fickle and the industry will move on if the money isn't there or the risk becomes to great. In Cavill's case, this means "all eyes are on him". From the press releases, Cavill's personal team is pushing his image. There is a fine line between "dating" and "taken". If Cavill continued with Gina Carano into a more serious relationship, it might negatively impact Cavill's appeal and interest to general female audiences as a new rising "it" man. From a marketing stand point, this isn't new but rather a well established point. Keep them interested, but not too interested. The next move would have to keep people talking, even if it fans the flames of the rumors around his sexuality. There's plausible deniability, increased and maintained public interest (this has mostly shifted to online media via blogs, et al), and plenty of money for exclusives as rightly suggested regarding the photographs and media outlets having access to "this just in!" pop culture.
Image is everything, it's a billion dollar industry, from the clothes celebrities wear to the personal relationships they invest in. Public Relations is the second most profitable industry in Hollywood; "You're only as good as your last movie, and your last relationship." That's become the new 'motto" for Hollywood agents.
- the third and final (at the moment) reply:
Post Edited: Thu Jul 11 2013 19:19
Wow, there are a handful on here who are taking this personally. The irony.
You're either very young or very sheltered. I'm speaking from both professional and personal experience in the industry. Whether you accept it or not is your decision. It is interesting to note that female commentators are the general market group outraged by any suggestion that Henry Cavill may be gay. This only proves my remarks on why movie studios, et al utilize P.R. firms (in house or otherwise) to maintain an "acceptable" public image. Re-read my post, then read it again, then again, and keep reading until the reality of the industry is fully comprehended.
As for claims for sources, what part of "removed" do you not understand? Additionally, there are no copyright infringement laws dictating what the owner of personal photographs may do with said personal property on a private social site. You can dissect every word in every sentence, make personal remarks, throw a tantrum, either way your words convey that being "gay" is "shameful", "unfounded", "ridiculous", etc.. I'm surprised more do not respond by simply stating [as I wrote], "So what if he is? I appreciate his acting." I certainly do not care as I will most likely never meet him, and if I do it will most likely be in passing through a random event in Los Angeles.
Suggesting I am doing harm to the LGBT community on a forum regarding statements on the inner workings of a multi-billion dollar industry reliant on the image and brand of actors in accordance with [general] societal norms is ironic. You and a few others have been doing such for what seems to be a long time. Pot, kettle, taupe? New-flash, even if Henry Cavill were heterosexual (or bisexual), even if you may cross paths, even if you catch his interest, you'll never meet him, he'll never know your name, and he won't be screaming it in pleasure.
Your personal offense at any suggestion someone may be "gay" is ironic as it is contrary to your above accusation towards my [allegedly damaging] comment(s). I didn't realize being "gay" [or perceived to be gay] was an offense so untoward, it necessitates strident, steadfast arguments that rival those of extreme religious zealots. Your remarks on this matter show your bias. Dissecting dozens of comments on countless threads for hours a day suggest you are either infatuated with Henry Cavill, cannot accept a celebrity may be homosexual, and/or refuse to acknowledge the reality of the entertainment industry. Before you attempt to turn this fact around, I've posted perhaps 3-4 comments on this topic in the past two days, a far cry from the steadfast few (which makes me wonder what they have to gain).
Instead of wasting your time online in endless banter, write a sad poem in your journal, and move on.
- [quote]Henry Cavill has had gay rumors following him ~2004, when he lived between L.A. and N.Y.C. and openly dated fellow struggling American actor Corey Spears in West Hollywood. It wasn't uncommon in seeing them out and about.
Interesting. So Cavill & Spears were a couple, afterall. Some people have tried to claim Spears was just a gay friend.
- Judging by his looks, I would say Spears was only a friend.
I can see a fling with Luke Evans, however.
- I was hounded in the other thread for suggesting he might be repressed/asexual atm but I still believe he had a relationship with Corey or that they hooked up atleast once. Corey was infatuated with Cavill and there was even a poem about Cavill published on his blog titled "my love" or something along those lines above a picture feat Henry wearing looking quite fruity and even wearing eyeliner.
I also remember an old picture of Cavill in his young twink days where he was lying on the floor, shirt open, jeans unzipped and displaying a happy trail and a very come hither look on his face.
I stumbled upon this pic when I was 14 and even then I remember not liking that picture of him and thinking that it looked a bit gay. That image was catering to the male gaze and even as 14-year old it was clear that Cavill was pleading for someone to fuck him as opposed to what I was looking for, namely a guy that alluded to I will fuck YOU.
That really says it all. I still wonder who took that picture.
- I honestly don't want Cavill to come out. I think an openly gay A-lister is possible, but it needs to be the right guy. Not only would he need to be handsome and masculine, but he'd also have to have talent. Cavill isn't a good enough actor, and that will kill his career sooner or later. If Cavill came out, when his career eventually fizzles out, they'd say it was because he was gay, even though he probably never had the ability to begin with.
- uh R69, mind sharing these pictures or link please? Or where those images the victim of the gayish Cavill pics purge a few years back?
- R69 - I can't tell if your "lustful frau" moniker is you being sarky or not, but I'll agree that the photoshoot you mention was a bit ott. All actors have those type of embarrassing early career photos somewhere.
Was it where HC was laying on a white tiled floor? Similar to these pics -
- This link has thumbnails of the whole set, I'm sure it's been linked on DL before.
- Are those pics legal to view? Was he 18 yet? LOL! Cute kid.
- r69 and r72
You mean this set right?
That's not the one I'm talking about. He looked alot younger in this pic. I might imagine this but I feel like there was a brithish flag in the photo too, eather in the form of a rug that he was lying on or something along those lines. He was wearing a white shirt in those pics too.
I really am a girl and used to have a huge crush on Cavill when I was younger. Idk, people used to call me a delusional frau so I just wen't with it.
- r73 Omg yes it's the one with his hand suggestivly down the lining of his pants. Considering I last saw these pics when I was 14 my recollection was still pretty good.
And the "british flag" must have been my memory mixing up the red carpet with the pattern on that awful burberry tie.
- Err R69, R75, your Trolldar is showing hon, you replied to yourself lol.
- Love the toilet bowl in the background, so classy. Really adds to the atmosphere.
- r77 I accidently replied to myself in that post. Why would I sign with my own nick if I was trying something like that. Ugh.
- [quote]I honestly don't want Cavill to come out.
Oh, please. We can't pick and choose which stars we want to come out by waiting for the 'perfect' A-Lister. Cavill should come out.
- The younger generation find gay guys hot, even get off on them kissing on another. Bearding today is a ridiculous concept.
- What about the Henry/Jake Gyllenhaal/Steven Dorff affair though? Henry and Jake were happily "dating" for a year or so and then scheming, bisexual, drug-addict, aspiring prostitute Steven Dorff finds out about the Henry-Jake relationship and decides to fuck around with Henry just to screw things up!
- Give this pussy-mad he-man a harem!
- I came out, and look what happened!
- More like mad-at-pussy, Cheryl.
- Why is that poster from IMDB even bothering with the fanatical kooks over there? He should be posting here where he'd be welcomed and a much more interesting discussion would commence.
- After looking at those pictures of him posted above, you cannot tell me he wasn't a rentboy when living in LA/NY. No way. How is it he didn't do legitimate modeling? He had the perfect look to be a marketable one.
And the only reason people don't want to believe he was with Corey is for the same reason his "girlfriends" get hit with verbal shrapnel: If he's not with his physical equal, they can't believe anything is going on.
- R86, maybe he was trying to reason with them. But according to his profile, he's been at IMDB for 7 years or so.
- Instead of expecting a very handsome, leading man-type to come out, and risk career suicide, why don't the powers that be focus on a very talented character actor revealing the truth? The latter could probably benefit from the pap coverage.
Then once it's been proven that talent really does triumph sexual orientation in casting, others would be more tempted to follow his lead.
- Love those photos of Henry lying on the toilet floor suggestively baring his lower stomach ... if that does not scream gay I don't know what does. It all suggests he is begging to be fucked. Those pictures couldnt have been aimed at females could they ?
- [quote]Those pictures couldnt have been aimed at females could they?
It was aimed at anyone with the ability to see. He has always been a beauty and there isn't a gay man or hetero woman who wouldn't want to fuck him.
- Cavill's looks are what works against him and that's why he can't come out.
It's not like NPH coming out.
- Thanks for the advice, Henry (R89)! When your career goes the way of Klinton Spilsbury, that's when you'll come screaming out of the closet. I thought the English were better than us Americans about the whole gay sexuality thing. Guess not.
- He's playing *the* iconic "American" superhero. He's trying to hit big in the US, not the UK, so why would it matter that the "English were better than us Americans about the whole gay sexuality thing."?
- I wish I had a career like Zachary Quinto. he is a great actor and a man with balls, unlike cavill
- R93, I'm definitely not Henry. Please re-read my post. Coming out for a handsome/cute lead is career suicide, especially with the focus on sales in homophobic China and Russia. I'm a realistic female that understands the downside of working in the entertainment industry.
How many Jews have had to anglicize their names, or lose work, especially if they didn't "look Jewish," a terrible and totally false stereotype?" If you're female, and not size 2, be prepared to endure non-stop emotional abuse. You've got to "sell" a perfect image, however false.
Don't like "the rules?" Look at the millions who'd do "whatever they're told" to be in your place.
Ask any minority actor about being told he/she "doesn't look Black enough," and then on the next audition, that he/she "looks too Black." Then please stop complaining if "selling your sole" is a requirement in the entertainment industry.
- Can you really fault the guy? He's been so close to stardom before and ended up having to do so many shit projects that when something this big finally came to him, he was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice... hiding who he truly was.
He'll make lots of money and be famous and once the parts start to dry up, he'll come out.
- he is hot beyond belief
- R97. Cavill will never come out if he's going from one beard to another. If he's going to come out, then he needs to have a very long dry spell without photos of beards tugging at his sleeve.
- Who gets to (really) hit that is my question?
I can't believe the paps who think nothing of chasing down people with little kids and insulting those little kids seem to draw the line at catching closet cases.
- R90, R91, While I find it strange that Cavill is lying on a bathroom floor, instead of a bed, I do think that he looks very appealing in those pics.
I admire male beauty and physical fitness; that's not the same as fantasizing about sleeping with him or anyone else not my boyfriend.
- Didn't they think that him being seen WITH a woman would only fuel the gay rumors? All you have to do is look at his body language when any female comes anywhere near him to know he's not interested.
Very well said.
- R101 is a real life of the party!
- R104, I don't understand your post; please explain.
- You're right R96. If the people who criticize Henry would look at the big picture as you explain it, then maybe they will have a better understanding. Henry has been working since he was 18/19, and at 30, he's finally very famous. He had to make some personal sacrifices, we all do, but it is what it is.
Don't make Henry your gay flag carrier, find someone else. It's my hopes too that one day he can be seen having dinner with a male and slowly open his closet door. But it must be under his terms, not demanded by people on the internet.
- I have nothing invested in Henry being out; however, he needs a better PR team.
- What I mean is that r101 sounds so prim and proper! Why couldn't he/she just go with the flow rather than talking about not ever fantasizing about anyone other than his/her boyfriend?
- R106, Thank you. Always nice to be validated for my opinions on DL, rather than dissed.
R107, I strongly agree. My comments in the other threads on how ridiculous Cavill looks with his beards, given the savvy of fraus now reading the internet, point out how sympathetic I am to his situation. Please tell his PR Team to stop trying to copy Clooney, who's become the laughing stock of the internet with his no chemistry, talentless beards.
Or maybe that was the intent, as ANY publicity is good publicity?
- Henry Cavill couldn't care less about the LGBT community. He sold his soul for fame and money a long time ago. I'm sure that doesn't make him a bad person. He's just the equivalent of someone who sleeps with the boss to get ahead.
He will soon meet his soulmate and then we'll see
- Each new beard of his is the equivalent of a coming-out.
- I think the vast majority of women could care less if an actor is gay. Yes there's still some who do, and they're very vocal about it, but like with most things the people who don't care or are supportive are not the ones who are going to bother commenting or get all crazy about it.
Some of it anymore probably does have to do with selling films in places like Russia and China. I really object to films being driven by the foreign market. It makes for bad films and regressive attitudes. I guess it's no different than all those Jewish studio heads that made sure their films didn't offend Hitler and the Germans in the 30s and early 40s.
Hollywood must have more self-loathing people than anywhere else in the world.
- "I really object to films being driven by the foreign market."
Go ahead and object. But here are the cold, hard facts:
2 movies released this spring/ summer:
*Fast and the Furious 6
US Box Office: $235 million
Foreign Box Office: $460 million
*Iron Man 3
US Box Office: $406 million
Foreign Box Office: $804 million
In just these two films, you would lose $1.264 BILLION DOLLARS if you ignored the foreign market.
Your objections are interesting, but Henry Cavill has to play to the foreign market (both onscreen and off) in order to have a second or third home in Malibu like Halle Berry has.
- [quote]I really object to films being driven by the foreign market. It makes for bad films and regressive attitudes
Are you fucking high? Oh yes, because flyover and the south are the height of sophistication. I'm sure Superman is closeted because of China and Russia rather than the narrow-minded trash we have in THIS country.
Many of the great films being made today (ie. not this 3-D/IMAX nonsense) aren't made here. They're made in foreign countries and never see the light of day here.
- He should keep quiet about his private life, studios don't like openly gay actors.
- He needs to lay low for a while while his pr team re-works his strategy.
I agree with others who say keep the private life relatively quiet. No more splashy photo ops with fame-thirsty starlets or actresses. Find a young (not too young, maybe even slightly older than HC) reasonably attractive up-and-coming jewelry or handbag designer or interior decorator from LA (not to difficult), prep them carefully and sign them up for a contract. Occasional quiet dinners or lunches with him, show up on his arm at events, mention her obliquely in interviews as the "gf", etc. It should be enough to quell any rumors, but keep the pr workload light enough to handle and most importantly will be much more believable to the public.
The gf will get a boost in publicity obviously and maybe some financial compensation. Cavill will have the time to put his head down and WORK to keep his career going, as this is what he needs to be doing and not spinning his wheels fixing delusional failed bearding strategies.
- R106 and r109 are clueless straight women.
- Has DL ever had anyone from his inner circle post on here or is there really absolutely nothing on this guy outside of Corey Spears?
I mean we've had other friends/sources of closet cases in the past, but nothing on this guy.
- You should be hired for Henry's PR team R116. Henry's next "girlfriend" should not be an actress, just a nice looking lady with her own career/business who signs a private contract and escort Cavill to industry events.
- He's so milquetoast that I think they should really go all out with the new beard. Like a Rihanna or an Eva Mendes. Someone exotic to make him look more interesting because lord knows the personality isn't doing it.
- Actually, him being openly gay would become the most interesting thing about him. If he dated another famous star, it would humanize him immensely.
- Very succinct r119. Said much better than I, you hit the nail right on the head.
- Exactly r121 There should be no next fucking beard. He needs to stay single for a while and when he comes out he can explain away the beards with some excuse or another(maybe something about confusion or denial) since I don't think he'd be fully honest and say it was for PR. Maybe Kaley will discuss it in her memoirs.
- Or how about the studios realize it's 2013, and let him live an openly gay life? The fortysomethings need to die, so all this regressive 'PR closet' bullshit can also disappear.
- R108, Thank you for your explanation. I see no reason "to go with the flow," without a strong emotional connection, and I've been hit on by plenty of models, including former platonic roomies. I'm known for my loyalty.
- R117, Why do you call me "clueless?" Do you have a different version of reality? Please honestly explain your position.
- What is this talk about contracts? I understand bearding situations being based on agreements. But they'd hardly put anything down in writing - what would be the point? Is it something to do with "non-disclosure", which is not something I've ever encountered in my work life....
- The latest tongue-in-cheek theory from imdb.com:
"So he is not actually Gay, He is too perfect for sex with humans. If he had a choice, he would pick being straight occasionally but most times, he is an Asexual, interested only in Self-perfection, as can be seen from his Superman personality and personal character.
I know this, because I am a lot like Henry. We are epitome of human evolution. Except I am already at God level. Henry, not yet there, still learning."
- WHO GETS THE FUCKING GROCERIES???
Why don't we know this???
- I didn't think it was possible to make a Kardashian relationship look genuine by comparison and yet, here we are...
- Man of Steel had its success.
Doesn't need to be linked to a "girlfriend" anymore.... for now.
- That's rather naive, R131.
- There will be extra scrutiny on the next beard chosen, so he and his "brilliant" people should probably wait a while before they choose one because the vultures are circling and waiting to see who's next.
- This bitch is going to have a breakdown... just wait and see! And make no mistake, he will be outed!
- Since some people are so insistent about the foreign market driving the bearding situation, here are some comparisons -- films that feature an openly gay actor in a heterosexual lead role:
Star Trek Into Darkness -- Zachary Quinto playing the straight Spock who has a relationship with Zoe Saldana's Uhura:
Domestic: $223 million
Foreign: $220 million
The Smurfs (2011) -- Neil Patrick Harris playing a straight man married to Jayma Mays:
Domestic: $142 million
Foreign: $421 million
- And here I thought I was being cynical, R132 ...
- Are you saying that Henry is actually straight, R135?
- R120 The problem with a Rihanna or an Eva Mendes is they actually want and need dick. LOL!!!
- r137, no, I'm saying that I believe the excuses for Cavill being in the closet -- the foreign market would reject him -- are spurious.
I totally believe he's a flaming queer.
- Here, here R130
- R135, I don't think that those 2 movies can be compared to Superman. They don't have the same following. Neither Harris nor Quinto is a true romantic lead, like how Cavill is being portrayed. In person, Harris is definitely not believable as straight. Are there posters of those 2 actors in teen girls bedrooms? Please note my earlier post where I said that a talented character actor could come out and not have their career completely destroyed.
I believe in being a realist, even if I think it's the wrong decision. If Cavill came out, the powers that be would find an excuse to cut him out of the next Superman.
- "Henry's next "girlfriend" should not be an actress, just a nice looking lady with her own career/business who signs a private contract and escort Cavill to industry events."
It's surprisingly hard to find such a woman, because every normal, sensible person out there would realize if the became Henry's public girlfriend, every fangirl and gay bitch on the internet would rip her to shreds. It happens to every woman connected to a male sex symbol, and only actresses and showbiz wannabes think they can work the situation to their advantage.
But seriously, I think Cavill's best bet is to emulate the young Keanu Reeves. Keep his private life private, and let everyone who likes beautiful young men concoct their own fantasy.
- [quote]why don't the powers that be focus on a very talented character actor revealing the truth?
Haven't we been there and done that many times by now?
- [quote]This bitch is going to have a breakdown... just wait and see! And make no mistake, he will be outed!
How do you know this?
- Kaley tweeted this tonight - does this mean she and Henry are still 'together'?
[quote]Kaley Cuoco: “Please tell me it’s not true… #CoryMonteith no words. Prayers. Thoughts w his family. This is terrible. Henry and I can’t speak.”
- Maybe she forgot that the contract had been ripped up or tweeted in a confused, drug-addled state.
- R143, Sir McKellan is an example of a talented, character actor who came out and it did not destroy his career. Actually I was trying to think of his name when I wrote my original post. Now if more, younger character actors followed his example, those in other fields, like sports and music, would hopefully follow suit. Then it wouldn't be as big a deal if a handsome, leading man type came out.
- There are many, many females that would love to be beards, and enjoy "being in the limelight." Not all of them demand money. It's a bigger version of dating the high school football star.
Too reduce the negative comments from online fans, it's very important that the lady show true and public appreciation for being a celeb's friend. More and more anything that looks really fake is going to be savaged. Why don't they give acting courses for beards?
- [quote] Sir McKellan is an example of a talented, character actor who came out and it did not destroy his career.
Four words... Life Is Beautiful: Roberto Benigni
- r149, that's five words...and a non sequitur: Benigni may have beat McKellen to the Oscar, but who is still headlining Hollywood films today and who has only appeared in 1 American film since then, a Woody Allen flop?
- R145, "Henry and I can't speak" may mean "Henry and I are prevented by our people from having communication."
But it's more likely proof that celebs have low-level staffers doing their tweets for them.
- Two weeks? Is that really dating?
- R151, don't call Kaley a low-level staffer. She did her best for two weeks. It's not really her fault nobody took them seriously. The press and fangurls were out to get them.
- R153, Cuoco may have tried her best but she honestly didn't look happy in the pics with Cavill. Watch real couples walking in the park, and notice their non-verbal communication. Go out to Sunday brunch and see if you can tell who's happily partnered. If the 2 were just beginning to date, in real life, you'd quickly pick up on special signs, such as hesitant smiles, a gentle touching of the arm, an eagerness to please, something real and tangible.
Future beards be warned. You'd better be able to make your "relationships" look realistic, or the fans will make fun of your limited talent.
Post Tom Cruise, people are looking for signs of fake friendships. They're calling out the media on their phony "love" stories.
- Kaley actually tweeted, "#CoryMonteith no words. Prayers. Thoughts w his family. This is terrible. Can't speak."
- Where did the part about Henry come from in the article then? Did someone make that part up?
- Seems like it R156
- Why are people still arguing with the (many) straight females who have found this site lately?
Ignore them, and maybe they'll realize they're not welcome.
- R158 speaking of straight, are there any big name male movie or TV stars that are undisputed straight?
- Re r159:
- Miley's ex-fiance and his brother who played Thor.
- r158, those whom you think are straight females are more likely to be Henry's PR minions.
This straight female has NO problem with HC being gay.
Many straight females have no issue with gay actors. We know we're not going to marry them and have their babies.
- An Asian guy posted this on imdb.com: "I think he likes black guys, he's clearly not into women. He needs to hook up with Jason Collins. They would make a cute couple."
- R162, you may be more reasonable than a lot of other women. I'm not sure how representative you are. I go to many websites and there are always women denying certain celebrities are gay. Not just Henry, but in many other cases, too.
- [quote]An Asian guy posted this on imdb.com: "I think he likes black guys, he's clearly not into women. He needs to hook up with Jason Collins. They would make a cute couple."
Oh, an Asian guy wrote it? Well, then we have to believe it. I mean had you said a Norwegian or a Turkish guy, I'd have to question it.
- How is it no one has come forward to say they've fucked him - even anonymously?
- I wouldn't pay a dime to watch Superman, but watching him get it from a black guy? I'd sure as hell give a week's pay... which is slightly above a dime.
Who is this Asian guy of which you speak and how does he know, R163?
- If this isn't the look of "Had him," I don't what is:
- R165, it's more significant that any Asian guy writes that in that he is neither white nor black. Thus, he has no "skin" in the game, so to speak.
- But he's just some guy. He had no further info to add. No context for WHY he "thinks" Cavill likes black guys.
[quote]His dream role is to play Alexander the Great
[quote]His favorite film is ''Gladiator (2000)''.
- [quote]An Asian guy posted this on imdb.com: "I think he likes black guys, he's clearly not into women. He needs to hook up with Jason Collins. They would make a cute couple."
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he did like black guys - I've noticed anytime that I've visited England that white Brits seem to like black people and they have a lot of interracial relationships there.
- And they're probably less likely to know who he is - well, prior to MoS.
- Name that cock!
- Then WTF was the point of posting it?
- No more pointless than all the deranged yammering on the rest of this thread.
- Yeah I think I'd rather see a fake cock pic than read about him possibly liking black guys just because some dude on imdb thinks that to be the case.
- Well, at least let us compromise: Have it be a fake black cock.
- R178 Who gives a fuck what you think?
- [quote]How is it no one has come forward to say they've fucked him - even anonymously?
The same could be asked about thousands of other celebrities.
- R181 Exactly. Also, none of Ricky Martin's ex's outed him when he was in the closet.
- Except in occasional cases, we rarely hear of people coming forward to talk to the press about their sex lives - whether about gay or straight celebrities.
- [quote] those whom you think are straight females are more likely to be Henry's PR minions.
[quote]Many straight females have no issue with gay actors. We know we're not going to marry them and have their babies.
I don't think he even has PR people here to counter the gay rumors. There are more than enough delusional straight women who think he'll marry them that he doesn't need PR people
- It doesn't surprise me that no one's come forward to say they've slept with any of the closet cases in Hollywood right now. The bigger ones pay off their past tricks and relationships and/or cry/beg/threaten them into signing non-disclosures; the smaller-time ones, well, no one wants to be known for the rest of their lives as the attention whore who outed a Z-lister.
- I keep hearing about pictures this Corey Spears person took down. WTF did they show? I mean the ones that are still out there are still pretty intimate. It's not the type of relationship you'd see between a straight and gay guy even if you pull that "European/British guys are far more evolved than American guys" bullshit.
- "Meet Confused Charlie Part 1 from March 6, 2010
Still Likes Boobies Blind
These two young stars have been secretly seeing each other for months. Both males, one more tv star one in the movies. They have had a relationship that included some drama, break-ups and make-ups. It all started when the movie star, Romeo, was still seeing his ex, Macbeth. They attended a function and the movie star met the new guy, Confused Charlie. They hit it off right away and Romeo dumped Macbeth, who was too busy with his own faux-romance.. So the Romeo and Confused Charlie began seeing each other. When rumors of Confused Charlie still seeing an ex-girlfriend of his behind closed doors, Romeo dumped him. But Confused Charlie wouldnât let go that easily and worked his way back in the movie starâs heart.
Romeo, not stupid at all, decided to give him another chance because he loved him and the Confused Charlie was easy on the eyes. But that all went downhill when the Romeo went to attend to business and left for a few days. The second his plane landed, he began getting text messages from friends reporting that Confused Charlie was already out and about. Romeo star then recieved a picture of his man and a girl making out heavily. The worst part was that in between Romeo guy getting the tattling texts, he was getting sweet text messages form his guy saying how much he missed him. So what did the movie star do? He forwarded the picture he received to his cheating boyfriend. And he hasnât heard from him since.
And Macbeth has been trying to show him the error of his ways for months and even confessed to wanting him back. But Romeo realizes that the only reason his ex is crawling back is because he knows that Romeo is about to hit it even bigger and wants to ride the wave with him.
After all the drama, Romeo is about to just go back to having a beard and living his life with her just because she never broke his heart.
Part 2 from May 6 2010:
Confused Charlie Comes Crawling Back
Poor Charlie has decided that he longs for the comfort of his ex-lover Romeo and came up with the idea of going to see his jilted ex. Charlie thought tht his efforts in taking the long trip to see Romeo would show that Charlie was a changed man and willing to work for their relationship to survive. As if a plane ride would trump all of the nastiness Charlie has been partaking in since their split.
Romeo should feel like a stud. Not only did he have Charlie begging for a second chance, but a couple of blinds ago Romeo came back to his room to find his ex-girlfriend show up naked in his bed. Charlie however kept his designer studs on and convinced Romeo to have dinner with him and talk out their relationship. Or lack thereof.
It was pretty clear that Charlie was going through something and Romeoâs heart took over and comforted the confused boy. After a hot night of make-up sex, Romeo awoke to find Charlie had already vacated the suite. Charlie must have been a Sex And The City fan, because all that was left behind was a note explaining that he thought he could commit, but realized that he couldnât.
Now Romeo is mending a smashed heart and cursing himself for falling for Charlieâs misguided heart once again. And Charlie? Well he has fallen into a downward spiral that might land his gorgeous ass in New Jersey rather then the UES.
Charlie Is Not: Nick Jonas James Van Der Beek Alexander Skarsgard[/quote]
- I don't think Cavill was worthy of having blinds written about him in 2010.
- It's him, R188. Jake G-Henry C.
Too many hints.
- I'd prefer to see Henry giving it to a black guy, R167. Taking it is so cliche.
- [quote]might land his gorgeous ass in New Jersey rather then the UES.
You can't get more obvious than this. He has an incredible ass and he's from some area of the UK called Jersey.
Not to mention "Charlie." He had a pretty big following due to "The Tudors." I never watched it, but I always saw his name mentioned on here and other places.
[quote]I don't think Cavill was worthy of having blinds written about him in 2010.
On his own, no, but being involved with JG? Yes.
- [quote]You can't get more obvious than this. He has an incredible ass
I didn't realize this had been established as a scientific fact.
- Henry Cavill has been the #1 celebrity at IMDB for six weeks now. He's definitely going to be the highlight of Comic Con on Saturday.
This silly snafu with the 'find a beard' game has not hurt him.
- Kaley is the bigger star, why would she want to give him any press?
- [quote]I didn't realize this had been established as a scientific fact.
Anyone with the gift of eyesight can see that it is a fact.
- Even if ex-lovers came forward, WHO would print it? All of the "legitimate" entertainment mags/websites thrive on straight female fangurls. Thus, they have no financial incentive to out a hot young actor. They could get maybe one cover/expose outing an A-list actor; they can get multiple having him pretend to be straight and in various showmances.
That leaves no-name websites to out celebrities. And those places can't provide financial compensation for selling your story.
- For what it's worth, I remember reading (here and elsewhere) gossip that Jake and Henry did indeed have a torrid affair -- if I recall the details correctly, they met when Jake was in England filming "Prince of Persia" (locations were in Morocco, interiors were filmed at the 007 soundstage at Pinewood Studios).
- They fucked, but Henry's clearly a whore and God bless him for it. It's his duty to give that ass to as many as possible before it gives out.
- R199 LMFAO! I hadn't seen that one before.
Body language is real - you frequently see gay men who try to act "straight" let their femme side slip out if you pay attention.
Just like when he was in another movie (where he was supposed to be playing a pussyhound!), the gayness kept slipping out.
- Maybe it was part of the character in that movie, R200.
- Here come the stupid fangurls again like R201
- I'm not a fangirl. I'm just trying to play Devil's Advocate and argue that we may be reading too much into it.
- R203 Go back to IMDB and ONTD if you want to play "Denial Advocate" - everyone here can see through the charade and you're not going to change anyone's mind.
- Are you saying that the clip of Henry at R200 from 'Hellraiser: Hellworld' shows that he is gay?
- R201, It doesn't take a body language expert to see that Cavill felt uncomfortable walking next to Cuoco. Even if it were just platonic friendship, hetero males at least occasionally, glance at their female companions. More likely they touch their hand or their shoulder.
- I agree that Cuoco and Cavill looked uncomfortable together. I've even commented on how ridiculous it looked for them to be buying enough groceries to feed a family with 6 children. New couples don't buy groceries.
All I asked is whether we can tell he is gay based on video clips such as those posted above.
- Go away r207
For everyone else
Awkward Cavill at Comic Con. In this pic he looks annoyed and in the others he looks uncomfortable.
- He looks gorgeous in this pic with the chest hair peeking out.
- r208, why does your link take to me a 2007 article about Rachel Weisz?
- You know this man is just a perfect physical specimen and has been treated as such because I swear if he didn't have the accent, he'd be Ryan Lochte.
The guy has no personality and nothing interesting to say.
- JustJared links don't work anymore. Just an FYI. They always send us to different pages.
- But doesn't Lochte say stupid things? I don't think Cavill's known for that.
- Cavill repeats the same things over and over again like a trained monkey regardless of the questions being asked. Now I don't know if it's a new phenomenon with him as I'd never heard of him prior to Superman, but yes, it does make him look a bit dim.
I'm sure he's a fine person, but I get the feeling the conversations would lack depth.
- If you had any doubt IMDB loons post here:
[quote]I would not be suprised that Poetist writes on Datalounge or if Poetist,himself,is
a gay Dude.Those guys over there acually make up strories to make actors and singers look gay and then they post them everywhere.It's like they are on a mission or something.
- Oh, god r215.
- I can't believe this closet-case has convinced anyone he's straight
- He convinced the fraus
- Awww r217. It's good to see him behaving normally.
- Who's the guy he's with in the photo?
- R220, I think that's Henry's brother in R217's pic.
- I would love to see the sex tape (minus the Indian dude, of course) of the orgy!!!
I think Kellan Lutz has a semi.
- How can you see Kellan's pants? It looks so dark and shadowy to me.
- R223, if you enlarge the pic, there is no doubt you can see his semi-hard penis!
- Lutz may not be hard. He may just have a big dick. It's not a secret that he has the biggest cock amongst the actors in the Twilight movies.
He knows it - and he shows it off. That's why there are so many photos out there of him jogging and walking his dog wearing no underwear. He lets his big bulge come through so clearly you can tell he's circumcised.
- Forget the terminal gay face, it's the ring he's wearing @R217 that gives him away. Straight men don't wear rings on their right middle fingers unless they're hipsters. He's no hipster.
- So guys who wear rings on their middle fingers are all gay?
- [quote]So guys who wear rings on their middle fingers are all gay?
That's the rule of thumb.
- Yeah, the ring doesn't convince me -- otherwise, most of the guidos in NJ and Long Island would be gay, and they're not.
It's still the body language.
- Guidos wear pinky rings, not middle finger rings... unless they're part of a set of brass knuckles.
- I admit going full "fangurl" when I look at this handsome motherfucker:
- Damn water bottle. That is a most striking picture R231.
- R217 He looks SO gay in that picture! Also, he looks like he's morphing into David Hassellhoff. Definitely not attractive.
- I wish Henry and Luke Evans had been a thing, but they seem to have just been pals. If anything did happen, they did a good job of hiding it.
- The dumbest, saddest thing of many things about straight girls who are on DL is that they never just lurk and learn. Let's think: who would know more about how gay guys recognize each other... gay guys, or straight girls? Who would recognize trends, ways of dressing, or expressions and phrases that gay guys use... gay guys, or straight girls?
Second-saddest thing: they spend time on a site where no one wants them around.
- Very well said, R235
- I also agree with r235.
So... Do you think Henry would accept the role of Christian Grey? His name has apparently been bandied about. If it's true that they would consider him, I hope he and his team has enough sense to say no.
- He knew the paps would be there waiting for him.
This is embarrassing! Just come out!
- His schedule is such that he couldn't do 50 Shades. Besides, he's already stated he finds sex scenes icky.
- He's a cute drunk.
- Got this from another thread. This fucking guy.
- I wonder if Jonathan Rhys Meyers is jealous of how Henry's now a big star while he does direct to DVD movies now. He's doing some silly Dracula TV show this fall, but I don't see that being a hit since the vampire craze is getting a bit dated.
- R241 I'm so over him. He's a disgrace.
I don't mind someone being in the closet, but when they pull stupid stunts like bearding and set up photo shoots where they pretend to be surprised when the cameras are around while pretending to be a womanizer who doesn't want to get caught, I can't think of them as anything but sad, desperate and pathetic.
Congratulations Henry! You've shown yourself to be a vapid, shallow famewhore just like most of Hollywood. You'll fit right in.
- He does have a type. She's got Whitaker's jawline/chin:
- Henry is not only a closet case but also a chronic, insufferable narcissist. He consistently chooses beards with weak, disappearing jawlines in order to emphasize his own striking bone structure.
- [quote]He consistently chooses beards
More like he has them forced on him - I doubt he has much say in the matter.
- R243 and R245, stop hating on the man, and go out and find your own boyfriend. You girls are sad, just sad. LOL!
- said the idiotic frau.
- Cavill threads being deleted
- Which ones r249? I can still read the ones I've got in thread watcher.