- That pic was long, lean John Isner, OP.
And thanks for the continuation thread.
- Pete (Bu)mpras...
- What do we want to talk about tonight, guys and gals?
- Has the staunch heterosexualist Pam Shriver ever dabbled in lez action? I find it hard to believe that she spent all that time around Martina "I loves me some pussy no matter whose it is" N and slutty, trashy Chrissie "I'll fuck anything, man, woman, beast or Shriver" Evert, and never partook of the rampant GOGA in the locker rooms.
- I have a feeling Pam and Tracy Austin never got along too well. I'm SURE Pam was jealous/furious that Austin became a 2-time USO winner and went to #1 while Pam peaked with her USO debut by reaching the final.
- Dear God.
John Isner looks like he got caught in a taffy making machine. And poor, sweet Aga could use a Big Mac and a bag.
- I'm a nun now, praise Jesus. Guess my days of dykin' it out with Wendy Turnbull are but a distant memory...
- Didn't Martina try to rape one of the younger players in the locker room back in the early to mid eighties? Or was that Billie Jean King?
- Dimitrov has major case of gay face. He is cute though. I doubt his "relationship" with $ugarpova will last past next year.
Hottie Fabio Fognini might win his first title this weekend although it won't be easy.
- Is it more than just the irregular heartbeat that is keeping Mardy Fish largely off the tour?
Does he have a mental health concern? He alludes to it in this story, but doesn't want to get specific.
- interesting...he implies the heart issue is cleared up. I wonder what sort of mental issue he's been having. Depression?
- Janko Tipsarević is YUMMY!
- Yeah r11, you might be right with depression. I was thinking it was something like anxiety or panic attacks, but depression makes more sense.
- R13 it could also be anxiety/panic attacks (as you thought) about something, and perhaps when he would get too anxious he would have rapid heart rate etc...it wouldn't surprise me if it's linked. If it's depression then something is happening that we don't know about. His personal life seems to be going well...
- Nooooo Mardy...!
- Connors to coach Sharapova? Talk about an odd couple.
So I was down in Newport today for the Hall of Fame inductions of Martina Hingis and Cliff Drysdale. Pam was there, maybe she'll post some updates for us later. Rain, off an on all day, prevented the tournament matches from going on, but we at least got to see the hall of fame ceremonies.
But my biggest surprise was seeing Lleyton Hewitt on the grounds. I say surprise, because while I've never been a Hewitt fan, or thought much of his appearance in general, in person he's quite striking. I've always thought he was short, but I'm six feet and we were just about eye-to-eye. And speaking of eyes, he has beautiful crystal blue eyes. I never really noticed that when seeing him on TV. His body was tanned and toned, and he was wearing athletic shorts, the kind you pull up with elastic around the waist... It was all I could do not to "pants" him and see if the rumors of his "Australian Python" are true. I was shocked by his sex appeal, never would have expected that.
- Anyone else hear Tommy Haas is a crossdresser?
(I know that doesn't necessarily mean he's gay."
- Really? r17
- Shut up James Blake at R16
For whatever reason there was this strange sexual vibe between Lleyton and James which felt so inapropriate. Especially after their imfamous clash at the US Open!
I remember talking to some of the female players at IW a few years ago(I used to volunteer) and to my surprise those girls were gossipy! Imagine DL style cruel gossip.
One thing I took away from the experience is that WTA players are far more catty than their male counterparts. However they are also more approachable.
ATP players were mostly indifferent to the volunteers. Someone of them were right down nasty towards the ballkids. I'm not sure about the rest of DL, but humiliating a poor ballkid because he brought you a soda instead of water is not my idea of good fun. Another one actually pushed a little girl as he was exiting the player's lounge. :O He said he didn't see her, but I was behind him and he definitely saw her. :(
Unfortunately my experience was that Easter European players were rude towards the staff.
To my surprise Andy Roddick was very likable. He was the friendliest male player I met.
Apparently Lleyton thought highly of James' ass.
taht's all I have :(
- Yay-hottie Fognini finally won a damn title.
Mahut beat that bigot Hewitt! He has won 2 titles (both grass) in a month's time!
- Is it possible to have one's nose made larger? Because Fognini needs that operation. He also need to lay off the plucking... He'd be more attractive without it.
- Martina Hingis to play doubles w/Hantuchova at SoCal Open, Carlsbad, California.
- Hingis built a cuntress around her heart. Hantuchova needs to set her free (free, free, set her free).
- Back to the Tommy hass cross dressing discussion, please.
- R21 don't hate on the beauty that is Fognini. I love his face.
R23 though not nearly on the same level, Hantuchova can be quite a bitch too. Just watch her handshakes when she loses to certain players.
So Jimmy "I'm broke and sold out my ex from 35 years ago Chris Evert by telling everyone that we broke up because she had an abortion as a teen" Connors is now the new coach of mega bitch $ugarpova. Interesting pairing.
- If Hingis is 100% fit, she could carry Hantuchova to about the semi finals. I read somewhere before Wimbledon that Hantuchova has hit more unforced errors than winners in 8 of the last 10 seasons. Actually this might be normal now. I think a fit Hingis would still have her opponents on a string on a doubles court.
- [R5] Pam and Tracy had a hilarious after match encounter in 1981. I read about it in Pam's book and found this article about it. Pam lost and called Tracey "a fucking asshole" and "a piece of shit" when shaking hands. In the article Tracy's quoted as saying she was called "a piece of blank"!
In Pam's book she says Tracy's mother said even her sons had never heard language like it, leading Pam to say they had clearly lead very sheltered lives.
- My bff gamboling on the sunny shores of Ibiza...
- Murray has got to be 1 of the ugliest, least sexy male athletes ever. Face, body, teeth and personality are just 1 big boner killer. I don't see how any woman finds him hot either.
- If you can't see that's a rockin' bod, R29 (that ASS!), your hatred is blinding you.
- r16 - Hewitt does seem tiny on tv; not so much short as just really fine-boned.
r19 - Haha, well Lleyton has always been really chatty & huggy at the net after matches. And I always thought he and that Aussie rules football player, Andrew McLeod, had something more than friendly to their relationship, even if it wasn't consummated. They took off on holiday together after Hewitt & Clijsters broke up and lived together for a while after McLeod separated from his wife. During their friendship, Hewitt used to actually wear McLeod's jersey number on a chain around his neck. And McLeod would do Hewitt's vicht sign on the field. Just a really intense friendship for two grown men. And then such a bad breakup; I think staying away from Hewitt was a condition of McLeod getting back with his wife.
Have never seen Hewitt look as happy as with 'Macca.'
- Agree: Murray is fug.
- Lleyton Hewitt is an odd one. He's just so hard to read.
- R27 that match was just a short while after Shriver defeated Austin for the first time at Wimbledon. Austin gave a quick ass handshake as Shriver was overjoyed and kinda rubbed it in. They barely acknowledged each other lol. I noticed Austin's handshake was that with Evert too. Was Tracy the weird one or were the others just that bitchy towards her?
lolz at Pam's fro
- Murray is just gross as hell to me but whatever. Seems like he's one of those polarising ones.
- R35 if he were not British, no one would like him. For whatever reason, SOME people will overlook all the negatives about his game, personality and appearance just cuz of his nationality.
- Austin was a NOTORIOUS Bitch! On the practice court sign-up sheets at tournaments, she would scratch off the names of lesser known players and put her own in wherever she wanted.
When Pam finished her last two years of high school in one year, Tracy told the press to be sure to ask what her grades were.
She was also known for OVER celebrating routine wins if she didn't like the opponents. She also refused to ever acknowledge that she patterned her game after Evert's even though it was clearly a direct replica.
- Better ass: Andy Murray or Andy Roddick?
- R38 they're both disgusting, not hot, had boring games and annoying personalities. I'd go straight before thinking of touching 1 of those idiots.
- Tommy Haas was a passable(but very tall) tranny in Germany.
Don't know about now. Sorry
- R37 very interesting goss but where did you learn this from?
- Martina never raped anybody. Let alone in a locker room. Where do people get this nonsense from?
- I did read on realjock from a guy who worked in some tennis charity events in Dallas that Navratilova had affairs with a couple of wives of high profile people there, such as doctors/lawyers/politicians. Not sure if it's true but I found it to be interesting.
- Why is Navratilova so obsessed with straight girls pussies? She always seems to be fucking some straight woman.
- I agree with most of the posters above that Murray is fug.
But that bod, either shirtless or in a tight shirt, gives me a boner all the time.
- here we go. found it. The thread was "have you met any celebrities in your lifetime?"
the second post on that page:
"Martina Navratilova at a charity event in Texas. She sponsored the entire venue (a live theatre production) for underprivileged kids and even paid for school busses to drive them there. She was also hooking up with my doctor AND my stock broker's wives. "
It was said so casually I'm inclined to believe it.
- Peter Graf used to bitch that their were lesbian "predators" preying on the young girls in the locker room. I think because Martina was the only out lesbian at the time, some people assumed it was her.
Fascinating that Steffi ended up having a very close "friendship" with Renae Stubbs, an Aussie player, back in the mid 1990s.
[quote]Martina Hingis to play doubles w/Hantuchova at SoCal Open, Carlsbad, California. Thoughts?
1. Martina H is managed by Octagon
2. Daniela H is managed by Octagon
3. SoCal Open is an Octagon event
4. I don't think this is a prelude to a big comeback
- Rita Mae Brown said in her autobio that Martina was a horn dog and wanted to get to it in their hotel room about five minutes after they met. Martina seems like a stereotypical male jock in her love 'em and leave 'em attitude and similarly has had to face the financial consequences on more than one occasion for her voracious love of the puss.
- [R37] here, that goss about Austin is pretty common knowledge and was actually written in at least one profile of her done back in her heyday (79-81). I don't even think that scratches the surface on what a bitch she was though. She completely dissed her sister in her autobiography for not congratulating her after she won her first U.S. Open (despite the fact that the book was written 13 years after her win) and has never overlooked an opportunity to diss Evert. She was probably the nastiest competitor in woman's tennis (which pretty much covers both men's and women's tennis since the women have been historically much nastier) and would probably cut a bitch even while wearing her Little Miss Lollypop pinafore (which she totally wore as a teenager to psyche out opponents even though it was completely age inappropriate).
- We'll all have to wait 50 years for a male tennis star to come out...
Martina seems so likable. I know there are a few unsavory rumors about her, but she comes off very genuine and kind. I don't want to think of her as another Melissa Etheridge.
- Federer is just flopping everywhere these days. Federico Delbonis? who da fuq?
Fognini might win his 2nd career singles title in consecutive weeks? whoa.
Serena has a chance to extend her unbeaten clay streak tomorrow if she wins the title.
- Serena will finish the year unbeaten on clay: Charleston, Madrid, Rome, RG and Bastad. Nice streak.
Fogini goes from having no titles to having 2 in the span of 2 weeks! He's on a 10 match winning streak I think. His opponent served for the title at 5-3 in the second set, then had 3 or 4 match points in the tiebreaker but choked. Fognini then dominated the third set.
- We have a new whacko tennis father, John Tomic. He and Bernard Tomic are in Madrid this week in court to testify about the alleged beatdown of Tomic's hitting partner.
- Regarding Tommy Haas, does anyone have the scoop on why he gets the worse wedgies in tennis history? I mean, you can see his entire crack when he plays... his ass isn't that big so, is it just the way he wears his shorts?
- Share those beautiful pictures, R55...
- R49 She is not the only Martina who loves them and leaves them. Ms Hingis's husband has called her a serial cheater in this article. Didn't Hingis get with Radek Stepanek for a while. That was before he married Vaidisova. Somehow.
Hingis is also playing the US Open too....
- ooh messy Martina! Her husband looks gay as fuck.
- R49 Speaking of Rita Mae and Martina, didn't Rita Mae nearly kill Martina when Martina left her. I remember reading Martina got in a car and drove from the house and Rita Mae fired a gun that blew out the window.
Martina went on to have an affair with Judy Nelson who left her husband for Martina. After they split Judy ended up with Rita Mae Brown for a while. Wonder what Martina made of that!
- John Isner is now dead to us, R60.
- Who is shocked? Isner is a straight white guy from the Carolinas. Not surprising he's a Republican. The idea that he supports O'Reilly is disgusting though. Btw his body is NOT good enough to be photographed naked. He needs more muscle.
- How very disappointing... :/
He's dead to me.
- Well I guess that clears up why he didn't support Athlete Ally. Eh, I never liked this dope anyway.
- Regarding Martina trying to forcibly have sex with someone in the locker room, I've heard that rumor too. The version I heard was about some younger American or Canadian player whom Martina allegedly forced herself upon repeatedly. Allegedly Martina and Billy Jean later hushed this up and even tried to convince the young player that she was a lesbian. The girl apparently quit pro tennis and left the tour soon after but the whole sordid affair was kept quiet because Martina was the top player then and the tennis associations didn't want the scandal.
I have to say I found it hard to believe about Martina though. She doesn't seem the predatory sort. Billy Jean King on the other hand, totally.
- R60 I think he's just another dumb jock.
- Why do you gays care about tennis? It's not a very interesting sport.
- What O'Reilly talking points was Isner referring to?
I know, it probably does not matter, but I'm just curious .
- Martina gets models and beauty queens. WTF would she force herself on some fugly teenager? Peter Graf has some nerve accusing anybody of sexual misconduct. He's a fucking drunk who sexually abused his own daughter.
- Do you think the hostility toward lesbian players is the reason there are few openly or closeted playing right now? I think it is. I think the character of the WTA has changed with the increasing presence of heterosexual males in the sport whether they are coaches, officials or agents. Heterosexual males have made women's tennis into a conveyor belt of attractive heterosexual women for their own pleasures. If you are not an attractive heterosexual female you don't get lucrative contracts which means you don't get money to have the best equipment, trainers, coaches, hitting partners etc.
- Tommy Hass goes "commando" when he plays. Hence the shorts going up his butt crack a lot. TV cameras have caught onto his lack of underwear and mostly train their cameras above his waist. But sometimes, they do pan down and WOW, that package! It's almost obscene. Tennis porn.
That raging bulge of his is impossible to ignore.
- R67, tennis is very popular. Skill and athleticism is needed as well as mental strength. Plenty of hot guys, and drama on the women's side too.
- [R70] There isn't much hostility from the other players. There are plenty of lesbians on the tour but because the majority are femme the public just assumes they're hetero. There is plenty of hostility from the managers and agents, though. Pretty much all of them try to market their charges as a hetero guys' dream. The WTA is also guilty of marketing the players in such a manner; they're using the more feminine physicality of the players to move away from the butch image it used to have in order to attract male fans, please sponsors and, also, aid growth in developing markets. All of this, plus the fact that many of the women hail from/have family in countries where homophobia is rife, ensures that they'll stay closeted and allow the WTA to foster the glamorous image it's promoting.
- Who are the femme lesbians? Sharapova?
- [R75] I don't know about Sharapova, her team guard her private life exceptionally well and have done since her early-mid teens.
As I've said in another thread here, the ones that are most talked about are Kerber and Makarova. The problem is that the women make a large amount of money for their management companies and the agents will do pretty much anything to make sure the player obeys them with regards to image. However, despite their best efforts and much to the chagrin of both the managers and WTA, countless journos, bloggers and even other players have frequently stated how common lesbianism is on the tour (and continue to state as such).
- Did Chris Everett and Martina ever fool around?
- r76 - Really? Neither Kerber or Makarova are household names in the running for lucrative endorsement deals. Hard to believe anyone would care that much about largely unknown players.
- If that was directed at me (I'm the poster R74&R76) then I'm not sure. I only know about what I see, and hear, as a result of my job and the friends subsequently made. I've only been doing my job for about five years and my time is mainly spent in Europe so most of my knowledge is limited to current, or recent, European players. Sorry.
- Kerber, Makarova, Stosur, Kuznetsova, Hercog, Daniilidou who else?
Some wonder about Schiavone, Vinci and Errani.
- [R78] I wasn't specifically referring to those two when speaking of deals etc. However, Kerber was top 5, is good-looking (although when posing for pictures she looks so damn awkward and insecure), has her fair share of creepy fanboys asking her to marry or sleep with them, so the management team would certainly see potential for bigger deals if she conformed to the ideal of a meek and subserviant female. Although that would, in my opinion, alienate a large portion of her fanbase because the majority of her fans appear to be female, particularly those that find her attractive. As a sidenote, with Kerber spending a large chunk of time in Poland and Makarova hailing from good old Russia, I doubt being out would be particularly appealing to either.
The whole aim for the managers is not necessarily to get huge contracts but, rather, to maximize their income in whatever way possible. The kneejerk reaction is to fear that being openly gay will damage prospective deals. It is actually surprising how much even the players with low rankings can get through sponsorship. Even a woman, or man, ranked 100 or lower can expect to make around £30,000 upwards per annum, particularly via local companies.
- [R80] On the doubles tour you've got Srebotnik and Moulton-Levy. I've heard rumours about Cirstea and Martic having relations with women, not that they're exclusively gay though. Barrois, Angi Bachmann, Woehr, Woerle, Krizan, and Pisnik are gay although some are now retired. I've also heard that Domachowska has a thing with a woman or two and, whilst she's hetero, I could well believe it. She just seems so sexual that it's possible that sometimes she wouldn't care as long as she got sex out of it.
- R80, Schiavone is straight. Believe it or not. lol
- Federer lost again today -- another early exit -- not close either.
- Isner is a freak. It's like he got stuck in his mom's womb and the doctor hooked the forceps to his F 150.
- One of the mysteries is why Stosur stays in the closet. And in the fluffy interviews, she dresses up as very femme (but looks uncomfortable).
- R84 Federer has claimed to have had back issues for most of this year. Brands is also having the best year of his career and took a set off of Federer just last week. If Federer's back is hurting, he should rest ahead of the USO.
R86 she has a shy personality and probably doesn't want any extra attention associated with being a top lesbian sportswoamn. Don't forget the homophobic Margaret Court is also Aussie and I'm sure Stosur has had to meet with her numerous times.
- Wow, there is some really fantastic lesbian tennis gossip on this thread. Go DL!
- You might ask why a gay man would care about lesbian tennis gossip... Remember, though, there there are lesbians bearding, gay men are not far behind.
- Dani V at R85: Isner is hotter than your beloved Murray
- The whistle-blower in the Biogenesis clinic scandal has indicated that it wasn't just baseball players getting steroids from the clinic. Athletes in several other sports were supplied PEDs from the clinic - including tennis players.
In this interview with Outside The Lines he doesn't specify anybody by name. In fact he doesn't even say that they are names on the ATP or WTA tours - could be challenger level players that aren't widely known or even college players.
But I'd imagine eventually all the athletes names connected to the clinic will be known. Before that this kind of news can only make people speculate.
Aren't there several tennis stars that would have convenient access to the clinic in Miami?
Andy Murray lives in Miami. Doesn't Serena Williams have a Miami residence as well? Those are just the first 2 South Florida residents whose names that jump out at me.
- Doping in tennis is like this massive potential scandal in-waiting. Time will tell if the media will continue to hide or gloss over it so that they get their fluff piece interviews with the players or not. Most top players dope. It's a fact. But will it come out?
- The rumor is that Martina took sexual advantage of Andrea Jaeger.
And, well, Jaeger did quit tennis and become a nun.
- I remember reading that accusation way back when in one of our American tabloids.
Jaeger has never confirmed or denied it, but she does say that she gifted the 1983 Wimbledon title to Martina because she didn't feel like trying.
would a nun lie?
- forgot the link
- r91 - It's Miami. Lots of players train there, besides the famous ones.
r92 - I have no idea if that's true or not, but stating it's a fact implies it's been proven. What evidence is there that all top tennis players dope?
Personally, I don't really care that much. I know I should, but I just don't. I presume that if one top player is doing it (at least in the ATP), then they all are. And it's easy to speculate about any of the top 5, for various reasons.
But truly, it won't happen. That would shut the sport down. If there is a widespread problem and the ATP wants to clean up, then a quiet amnesty period would be in order, followed by upgraded testing.
- "He also asked me about something he heard that happened in the locker room. I refused to answer.
If I'd told him some of the things I encountered on the tennis circuit, he'd have hurt people and pulled me out of that final.
Over the years, I took a few beatings from my father to protect players and staff."
- A new doping story...
Viktor Troicki is now fighting an 18-month doping ban issued to him. The ban is NOT for failing a test, but rather for not providing a sample when it was requested without a valid and approved exclusion.
This April at Monte Carlo he was summoned to provide a urine and blood sample as part of the routine, random screening process. He gave a urine sample, but declined to let them collect a blood sample.
His story is that he told the collector he wasn't feeling well and was told the blood sample could be put off. According to the ITF statement, the Doping Control Officer told him that she couldn't confirm whether his excuse of not feeling well was an allowable reason to not collect the sample, so she didn't advise him that it would be acceptable.
If that's the case, then he made a decision on his own to refuse to provide the sample without approved justification, and that violates one of the rules of the program.
So as is always the case, the 2 sides have differing stories.
Although the ITF statement doesn't detail this, Troicki says that he did provide a blood sample the following day and that sample was clean. That is probably accurate since he's not being charged with a failed test - the penalty for which would be a full 2 year ban. (right Wayne Odesnik, among others?)
But with this ruling, he is currently on an 18-month ban which would have him out of competition until the end of January 2015!
He is appealing however, so we'll see what happens.
- What is that from, r97?
Is that court testimony in the John Tomic assault trial?
- That's from Andrea Jaeger(link at R95).
I must say that Martina looks like she has a guilty face.
- They always go after the lower ranked players who have no backing and no chance of getting to the top. If these lower ranked players on the tours are doing drugs to get mediocre results then either higher ranked players are superhuman or they are doing drugs.
- If she wasn't tough enough to stop her dad from beating her, I don't see how she could stay on top of Martina.
- R87 thanks for your expert commentary.
Most tennis commentators aren't buying your version. The latest excuse is his change of racket.
But thanks for playing.
I find it interesting that she went running to Martina's flat.
- If Martina did deflower a very young Andrea, that makes Martina somewhat of a pig.
- R103 you anti-Federer troll, no one was defending Federer. He has said this year he's had back issues.
nooooo Viktor :( he's stupid if he really refused to give a blood sample day. I'll miss watching the hot yet stupid jock.
- can't wait for next week. Atlanta and Stanford draws this week are pathetic and not worth watching.
- Probable dopers on the men's side, IMO: Novak and Rafa.
I like them both, but their endurance is superhuman.
- Murray is also a likely doper.
- Tracy Austin used to treat her mom like garbage when she traveled with her. She would yell at her in front of people for forgetting the room key, the practice balls, whatever. One story had her locking her mother out of their hotel room and making her sleep in the hallway. The Chamber Maid found her and Austin refused to open the door. Finally, the pass key was used and Tracy ordered the Hotel Staff to find her mother another room, preferably a broom closet.
- Talking of Stosur and Margaret Court earlier, Margaret famously called Martina a bad role model for being a lesbian. At Wimbledon this year they held a WTA Love 40 event. Its all on youtube if you search WTA Love 40. Most of the numbers 1s are all there. Margaret and Martina are sat far apart. Arantxa looks very uninterested when Hingis appears but smiles and waves at Monica. Chrissie still thinks she is the best thing ever. All of the different tensions and looks are worth a watch.
- I think 100% some of them are doping. But some of them use gels, eat bananas etc during changeovers.
- R111 that clip was cool except it would have been better if Graf, Venus, Clijsters and Azarenka had been there. Those 4 were the only #1s absent. There would have been even more tension.
btw LMFAO @ how Henin looks now.
- r106 you moron, your reasoning is about as solid as your reading skill -- both poor.
I didn't accuse you of defending Federer. I dismissed your obnoxious know-it-all reasoning.
And I'm not anti-Federer. Nothing I wrote said so. I like him. Like most people interested in the sport, I can like him as a player and not appreciate his press conference shtick -- he has invoked the back problem curiously and randomly and has played wildly erratic tennis. Even by your own logic, you should doubt how bad his back is given that he entered two clay court tournaments -- the most recent at the last minute -- It's odd. That is all.
And it's a FACT that these two losses came while trying out a new racket.
You don't know what you're talking about.
- R114 if anyone is "obnoxious" and being a "know-it-all" it's YOU. I don't know if your giant-sized dildo got stuck in your ass and you can't get it out, or you simply can't anyone to fuck you because your attitude is so poor, but you're arguing with people in here for no reason. No one disputed your comment about Federer's new racket. If you were following tennis, you would also know he has mentioned his back for most of the year and has said he has been playing while it wasn't 100% healed. Dispute it all you want, you just look silly and ignorant.
- R114 you have no clue what you're talking about. Players play injured all the time. In a simple, quick and easy news search, you can find how Federer mentions he's currently receiving treatment for his back injury. Read the article sweetie and just understand that you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. Your haughty attitude and belief that you're right is quite entertaining as you've been proven wrong.
- Did any player like Tracey Austin?
Even Chris Everett despised her and wanted to kick her little ass all over the court.
- I really want someone to pants Tommy Haas. Going commando carries a risk... We should all benefit from it!
- r114 is absolutely right.
Federer's back comes up as erratically as Nadal's knee.
Federer's back doesn't explain why he's been hitting shots into the stands out of nowhere for over a year now.
It doesn't explain why, if it was so bad, he entered two tournaments on clay back to back. As the person who brought this up the first time, if it's so bad, he not only shouldn't have played, he wouldn't have played.
It doesn't explain why weeks ago at Wimbledon he was predicting a great rest of the year, no mention of the back then to blame what happened then.
And here's Peter Bodo's analysis of Federer's match. Apparently an expert missed his "bad back" where it was so hard to play.
Maybe you bitches should take your "sweetie" act on the air.
- Here's Federer from last week on his loss in the semis... a good week, feeling great, no problems to mention...
"It's disappointing, but defeats like that happen sometimes. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the final, but nevertheless, I did have four good matches and these are the kind of matches I need."
And on his decision to play to add two weeks, no worry for his back...
"This time around, all of a sudden I just had the extra 10 days, two weeks I was looking for, and I really was very serious about it. After I lost at Wimbledon, I thought this is a good time to go and test the racquets, to take a bit of time off and then add some tournaments and see was there enough time to change or not."
- And here's SI, not only calling the decision a "head scratcher" but separating it from his "slump", pointing out that the back tape showed up last week.
- And the history of the back injury, reporting a twinge from Madrid, then "alarms" at Wimbledon but entering two clay courts right afterward.
Are we all just saying he's stupid now? A masochist?
- I'm not saying the back problem caused the recent losses because, to be frank, I couldn't care less about Federer. However, the problem with chronic back injuries is that it is not constant and the flare-ups often occur without any prior warning. Players that suffer from such problems often state that it's hard to free their mind from the thought of the injury reappearing, even when playing without pain.
- Thanks R122 et al
And R123 you may not be saying it, but R87 and the hysterics at R115 and R116 dug in their heels and refused to concede that something about the explanation stinks especially because just two weeks ago he was eager to squeeze in extra tournaments to try out a new raquet.
It's not the explanation for what's been happening for months.
- I really can't be bothered to care about steroid scandals in the tennis world. At this point, I just assume that they're all doping.
Shouldn't their sex drives be sky high with all those androgens? With the exception of Martina, I wonder why we don't hear of more sex scandals in the tennis world.
- I'm a Rafa fan, but seeing Fed fade makes me a bit sad. I got hooked into tennis because of the Agassi/Sampras rivalry that riveted me as a kid. Then Rafa/Fed blew them out of the water. I have watched every single match between them since 2005. Alas, father time always wins.
- sigh, some of you must not play sports, or you haven't been injured. All of the top players at one time or another have or will go through a period of chronic injury, and they'll often play injured. It is baffling as to why they don't just sit out, but they ALL do it. From Federer to the Williams Sisters to Nadal to Djokovic, it happens. Some weeks or even days the injury is not bothering them so they play but at any time it can flare up again. It's really not so hard to understand.
To the idiots calling Pete Bodo an "expert", he's ALWAYS fucking wrong and doesn't have a clue. Just because you see a sportswriter "reporting" on something, that doesn't mean it's always accurate.
Anyway believe what you want. No one here is defending Federer, we're simply pointing out he has talked about a chronic back injury, including this week. Sometimes players will lie and say the injury is not bothering them, only to admit it the following week. Some of you are quite dense.
Carry on, trolls.
- Cilic failed blood doping test in Munchen.
- I still on holiday in Baleares.
I have new bathings suit. Xisca say it look good on my famous ass.
- A sort of preliminary story about Cilic being dinged with a positive test after losing at Munich - as r128 mentions.
Apparently the story has initially only been reported by the Croatian press, so this is a translation of there article about it.
Basically the report is that Cilic says he bought something he was unfamiliar with at a pharmacy and took it for an energy boost.
Even if that's true (and it's tough to swallow knowing that top tier athletes are aware that you've seriously got to know what you are taking before you put something in your body), he is still responsible for it.
An interesting note is that his withdrawal from Wimbledon was because he found about this - not because of a knee problem.
- Rafa should have chosen swimwear that flattered him better. His ass looks much better than in those pictures... Unless it has shrunk somehow. Also, his package looks small in those odd speedo-trunks.
- Thanks R130. Interesting stuff.
- Nadal makes the ugliest faces in pics and when he's playing. I don't get why he always has this natural scowl. His legs are always hot but I think the rest of his body is overrated.
I'm surprised about Cilic because he always comes off as methodical and intelligent in interviews and on court. The top players always ask doctors etc before trying any new product to make sure it complies. What a shame if it's true. He's a solid top 20 player and he'll missed on his likely ban.
- Which male players other than Connors did Chris Everett do it with? McEnroe? Borg? Any of the lower ranked ones? Boris Becker?
- R134 she was married to British tennis player John Lloyd for a time and even changed her name until they divorced. She cheated on with British singer/actor Adam Faith and they separated but Lloyd forgave her and they reconciled for a few years. Not sure what caused the divorce unless Chris' cooch needed more fulfillment outside the marriage.
- Uh no, R93 and friends, it was the other way around: Andrea Jaeger made advances toward Navratilova, who turned her down. There was an old thread on WTA World that discussed this. Jaeger had a notion that some other players were trying to push her into lesbianism - these players included Wendy Turnbull (dyke),Chrissie Evert and Chrissie's dyke best friend Ana Laird. Nothing to do with Martina.
- Why would Evert try to push Jaeger into lesbianism?
PURE BULLSHIT, but thanks for the laugh.
I do, however, believe that Martina has part predator in her. Friends are probably just covering for her.
If Jaeger ever writes a tell all, I'm reading it.
- R127 You are so right about Peter Bodo. Some of his articles on women players in particular are just full on attacks. He wrote one on Monica Seles that was brutal. Will try and find it. Kim Clijsters was also ripped to shreds in one article for being a phony and the niceness was all an act. There was no evidence to suggest this but there he was attacking her for no apparent reason in a lengthy blog. She was about 18 or 19 at the time and there just seemed to need for it. He also said Gaby Sabatini was basically a functioning retard. She wasn't the most charasmatic in interviews but that was a bit much.
R135 I remember reading in one of John Feinsteins life on the tour type books that John Lloyd was a huge porn freak. This was back in the 80s before it was everywhere online. Some interviewer went to see him and Chris at their house in Amelia Island and stumbled into a room full of videos and was quickly escorted back out. Chris rolled her eyes and said they were John's and quickly changed the subject.
- R134 I think Chris and Nastase might have had sex. He hinted at it once but may have been joking.
R136 Speaking of Wendy Turnbull she was also mentioned in that John Feinstein book I was talking about in the last post. Apparently Ted Tinling who designed all the famous players dresses in the 70s walked up to Wendy and said her commentating was the worst he'd ever heard and any fan on the street could say the "expert knowledge" she was hitting out with. Wendy turned round without saying a word and walked out the room.
- wow @ Fognini. He was ahead 6-0 3-6 5-0 and served for the match THREE times against Monfils. Then Monfils went up 6-5 30-30 before Fognini finally held serve to force a tiebreaker. Monfils went up an early minibreak but Fognini prevailed 7-3. He's on such a streak I hope he can win the final too. He'll never repeat this success so why not let him have it this summer.
- MARTINA IS A LESBIAN RAPIST!!!
- Andrea Jaeger is a deluded lunatic. She's not a real nun, either.
- If Fognini wins that 3rd title tomorrow...that will be quite impressive. DL favorite Robredo will be tough though.
- Did Martina and BJ King ever have an affair?
- More on he Troicki affair:
[quote]The tribunal decided that Troicki, in good faith, heard what he wanted to hear but it wasn’t reasonable for him to conclude that he was 100 percent excused from the test. His illness and his fear of needles heightened his level of emotional stress, and given the fact that he already didn’t want to give the blood, he interpreted everything the doping officer told him as an unequivocal assurance, even if it was, in fact, not.
Again, all this stinks of cover-up. What adult risks their career because of a fear of needles? What sporting association lets someone off the hook by buying into the specious pop psychology inherent in "he interpreted everything the doping officer told him as an unequivocal assurance, even if it was, in fact, not."
"I'm afraid of needles" = "I kissed a girl who'd snorted coke (but I didn't like it") = "I didn't know the energy booster I bought in a pharmacy contained a banned substance" = "My trainer didn't read the lable properly" = a big fat joke.
Why don't the ITF/ATP/WTA just pull out of ADA and sanction all use of PEDs? They'd have to give up the Olympics, of course, but at least we wouldn't have to go through these farcical hearings, where it's only the lower ranked players (usually from former Soviet bloc countries) who are ever found guilty.
- Anyone have photos of Tommy Haas in drag?
- Our Tommy won!!!!!!
Tommy Robredo won the Croatia Open clay-court event Sunday, beating Fabio Fognini of Italy 6-0, 6-3 for his 12th career title and second this year.
- Go Robredo! Gay as the day is long, that one.
- eew at Robredo. He's annoying as fuck. Too bad Fognini couldn't complete his 3 week run with a third title. 2 titles in 2 weeks is great though.
FINALLY Ana Ivanovic beat that slutty little troll Cibulkova! yes!
- Anyone watching Ivanovic vs. Vandeweghe? Coco just called her coach (hottie and closet gay Jan-Michael Gambill) during the changeover. I've heard him speak before but tonight he sounded gay as fuck, almost having a bit of a lisp. He's still gorgeous into his 30s though. I still can't believe someone like him accompanied Elton John and friends on that gay party cruise last year.
- Speaking of gays, get it Stosur! Nice win over Shriekarenka yesterday. Finally another title for her.
- I love Stosur's arms!!!
- Nadal is playing now. He is looking good.
He is playing Janowicz. Not a pretty man but BDF.
- Nadal won, Murray lost....
- Too bad Murray lost. I wanted to see more of his hot bod in a tight t-shirt. Yum!
- Is Gulbis a doucebag?
He's kinda fucking cute.
- I'm so glad that Gulbis knocked out Ol' Pruneface.
Gulbis looked great - best in years. He must have shed some pounds. And I hope he's forever finished with that grungy hippie bearded look from 2 years ago.
He is one that I really wish played for our team.
Nice big win for Pospisil too.
- Can someone please tell me what happened here?
- Underhand serving is legal. It's especially good when you burst into tears after losing the match.
A quick serve can be questionable though. Your opponent has to be set. Looks like maybe the ump called it for not allowing Pospisil to be ready...although that seems to be a discretion call.
Was Berdych about to get a time penalty for delay? So that was why he offered up the quick serve? That's what the commentator seems to indicate.
- So glad cutie Gulbis knocked ugly attitude, ugly game and ugly faced Murray in the battle of the red heads. When Gulbis is "on" he can beat anyone. I hate his take-back on the forehand though. That pointing he does with the left arm is bizarre.
so Raonic kinda cheated tonight vs. Del Potro...Raonic was running up to chase down a shot and his foot barely touched the net. The umpire was looking at Del Potro when it happened. Raonic didn't own up to it and an out-of-sorts Del Potro lost the match.
Pospisil is having the tournament of his life. He kind of looks like Berdych a bit so it was interesting to watch them play each other.
This joke writes itself...Bartoli had to retire in her match with an abdominal injury. They're not sure yet if it's just a pull or a strain.
Ivanovic choked against Li when she served for the match at 5-3. Li took the match 3-6 6-1 7-6 (5)
- I've never forgiven Fernando Gonzalez for what he did to James Blake at the 2008 Olympics.
Don't think I will forgive Raonic either.
- Yeah, Raonic knew his foot touched the net immediately by the way he pulled back from it. He could have been a decent sportsman and told the ump that the point should go to DelPo.
It is a game of honesty...at least for some.
- Berdych is such an asshole. He has always been an asshole, this kind of behavior is not new.
- I don't understand the Murray hate around here. Sure, he's fugly and whiny, but that bod! And he looks like he's hung. Surely, that count a lot around here.
- Murray is in decent shape but shirtless he looks like shit. He needs to bulk up a bit. While I can see he's quite fit, his body does nothing for me visually, even if it were attached to a hotter face.
Who cares if he is hung (not that I believe it)? Do the rest of you really think dick size is more important than a hot body and face? I'd rather someone have the body and face...who wants a 10 inch guy anyway.
- R165, I don't care for the dick; it's all about the ass for me. His face, however, varies between cute and ugly.
- Well I always love Murray no matter what you guys say. Those thighs and that ass! At least I got Kevin Spacey on my side...
- Wow.. the Canadians are doing amazing in Montreal! *no jinxing intended
- Rafa looked unbeatable tonight. Can't wait of Nole/Rafa tomorrow...
- N.K.S. at R168, I love Andy too! Would lick him from head to toe.
- Vasek's French is very good. I think he's kinda cute too. He's got that nerdy cute twink look going on. Can't wait to see him play today. I'm definitely rooting for him!
- Are those 2 Eastern European Canucks friends? Their handshake at the end didn't seem very friendly.
- Pospisil looks like he could be a relative of Berdych. When they played the other day it was quite clear. Both good looking guys. It's a shame he didn't win today. I was hoping he could beat the cheater Raonic. The handshake was quick because Pospisil just lost the biggest match of his life in very tight fashion.
Sorana Cirstea is so fucking random. Out of nowhere she knocks off Wozniacki, Jankovic, Kvitova and Li to reach the final.
Check out the draws for Cincinnati, guys. Everyone is there, unless someone pulls out at the last minute.
- Raonic is devastatingly ugly. How does something like that not get stoned in early childhood by the villagers?
- btw in both Montreal and Toronto this week the Canadian crowds have been so classless! Screaming out during the middle of points, when players are tossing the ball to serve, cheering double faults, shouting "Go Canada"...so tacky. Where are their manners?
- Raonic is a cheater.
Not Kevin S. @ R168: TESTIFY.
I don't know whether they are friends but they did play doubles together a few years back and they beaten Rafa and Nole.
I think he looks like Kim Clijsters...
Gulbis has something nice to say about Canadian
- hehe! Gulbis calling Canadian fans stupid and dissing the Canadian players except Raonic as sucking when they aren't in Canada. LOVE his candor.
Nadal going for Djokovic's head with that shot at net! whoa. He did apologize though when the match was over and all is good. I wish the guys would get as bitchy as the girls. Y'all know if that ish happened between 2 wta players there probably wouldn't even be a handshake.
- r182 - Eh, I like that Gulbis is candid, but he's pretty charmless too. He sounds like a petty bitch complaining about fans cheering for the homeboy. If he were a better player, it wouldn't affect him.
I don't mind that he's a bitch, but I wish he'd go full on rather than just pouting in pressers.
Winning this is great for Rafa's confidence. I think losing is probably the best possible motivation for Novak too. Hopefully they don't meet in the semis again at the USO.
- God Rafa is amazing.
In other news, Raonic reminds me of a fat kid who got kind of skinny, but still hates himself inside. Like a dark haired Baby Huey after Lap Band.
- Nadal shot on Djokovic's face
- R185 if only that was cum
- R177, can't be worse than the Wimbledon crowd cheering every time the opposing player of the brit make UEs and DFs. They actually cheered and clapped EVERY TIME Verdasco made a mistake when he played against Murray. They also yelled out on Verdasco's serve, to try and distract him. It was disgusting to watch. Worst crowd in the world, without a doubt. Yes, even worse than the French crowd at Roland Garros, and that is really saying something.
- The French are just as likely to turn on their own as on a player from another country
- The rudest ones are the Americans at the US Open.
- I am loving Rafa's shorter shorts. He is all beef.
- [quote]Are those 2 Eastern European Canucks friends? Their handshake at the end didn't seem very friendly.
I honestly have no idea. I often get the feeling that they're not as friendly as they're tying to come across. There's just some tension there. Whether it's from competitiveness in the sport, or on a more personal level.. who knows.
I prefer Pospisil of the canucks though. He's the more happy, positive guy, so energetic and fun to watch, he has variety in his game too.. unlike one big weapon (serve) Raonic. And I hate to say it, but Pospisil is kinda cute in a geeky kinda way, and him speaking French makes my heart melt. He was actually born in Canada, you wouldn't think so from his name, but he was. He was born in Vernon, BC I think.. but he's lived in Vancouver the last few years. He's proud of being Canadian. Don't judge him because of his name.
- Nole needs to stop being a baby. If he hits that drop shot, then he has to defend Nadal's return. Nadal apologized and Nole was an idiot.
- "I am loving Rafa's shorter shorts. He is all beef."
Pictures, guv'nor! I want to see big ass and flopping foreskin...
- Novak didn't acknowledge Nadal's apology during play, but during the post-match handshake, they spoke briefly at net at there did not appear to be any bad blood.
I know there are several people who don't like Djokovic, but he is very gracious in defeat. I don't think I've ever seen him be a poor loser.
- Watch that GIF to the disco version of "One Night Only" from 'Dreamgirls', R194. It's 1,000 times more amusing.
- R95, that interview makes Jaeger sound like a real whackjob.
- Here's a better gif of the incident.. still hilarious.
- Andy tweeted this during Nole getting hit in the face.
Nole just took one in the face! This could get tasty now!
- Ivan Lendl (Murray's coach) popularized the whole hit-the-ball-into-the-opponent tactic when at net. It's within the rules but I consider it poor sportsmanship (especially when you have the rest of the court to hit into).
Gulbis comes from money. His attitude comes from being an entitled brat more than a place of "honesty" or "candor." His family is one of the richest in Latvia. That's why he's prone to slacking off whenever he feels like it. He doesn't care. He doesn't need the money.
- Anyone watching the final? Rafa just grabbed his dick! HOT!
- He is grabbing (or playing with) his dick when he is returning. I love it.
- What an utter and complete beatdown. Embarrassing for the Canadian.
- Someone needs to take a screen cap of the dick grabbing if a video of the match pops up later. Or even better.. gif it.
- Rafa's form is amazing right now! I'm so pumped for the USO!
- I'm so happy for him! He played well today, the opponent wasn't all that.. but still. He returned the serve so well, his groundstrokes were good, he managed to get many breaks. All in all very good from Rafa today. The commentators said they've never seen Rafa return serve this well. Hopefully he can continue his form to Cinci and USO.
- Go, Serena! She wasn't at her best this week but I'm glad to see her hanging in and winning. Cincy should be interesting. I'm not sure if I want her to win there because if she loses there she will be on fire at the US Open.
Amazing match from Rafa yesterday. That was the real final. Same with Radwanska vs. Serena yesterday.
- Rafa was great today and last night. The real final, as some of you have said, was last night.
His form, his return of serve, his taking it early, the flattening of his shots....superb.
- Yeah, lookout for Rafa at the Open. I hope Roger doesn't have play him again, it's really embarrassing when guys don't know when to hang it up.
No wonder Moo-cow can't stop eating.
- Both finals were very 1-sided but good, the rude and pathetic Canadian crowds this week deserved that. Such poor behavior. Serena and Nadal played quite well while Cirsta and Raonic were outplayed/overwhelmed by the occasion.
- Raonic has one thing that he does well, and he didn't do it well today. Without the bomb serve, he is sort of an unremarkable player.
It made for an uninteresting match. We didn't even get much chance to appreciate how Rafa upped the ante on his service return. That was on much better display against Djoker.
The fact that Rafa played the entire tournament without taping up that knee that seems to be a chronic problem is a great sign for him to sustain this level throughout the hardcourt season.
That stadium in Montreal strikes me as a really nice size for watching a live tennis match. Arther Ashe stadium is ridiculous.
- R211, I totally agree that Ashe Stadium is too damn big. My partner and I are going to the US Open and we purchased grounds tickets so we can see matches in the Grandstand and Louis Armstrong Stadium which are much better venues to view a match. The only thing is that we probably won't see Nadal and Serena who tend to play on Ashe.
- Good for you r212. I'm jealous. Hope you guys have a great time.
At least on the outer courts you are likely to see some competitive matches. Since all the highly ranked players get on Ashe and Grandstand, those early rounds are usually blow outs and not a thrill to watch.
Hopefully you'll come back to DL after your visit and let us know who/what you saw.
- I don't know R189- I've been going to the US Open for years and have always enjoyed the crowds- I think pretty well behaved- and I'm saying this as a foreigner...
- The reputation of US Open fans stems from the 70s and 80s, and the days of McEnroe, Connors, Nastase... When the fans acted as poorly as the players did.
Since Arthur Ashe stadium opened in 1997, there's very little fan interaction. The place is too huge, and corporate boxes surround the court. The real fans are relegated to the upper deck, which is basically another zip code. Fans are much closer to the action on Armstrong and Grandstand and are well behaved.
I'd also note that the US Open doesn't draw a "New York" crowd like a Yankees or Giants game. It's a much more international crowd. Very different from 20+ years ago.
- The worst fan behavior I ever saw was a match in Mexico where the Mexican player lost and people started throwing their seat cushions onto the court. I love Mexico, but this was simply uncalled for and improper in any sport especially tennis.
- So what is the deal with Andrea Jaeger, we all know that she is a nut but is she a lesbian or not?
- Gulbis with shirt off.
- Gulbis shirt off.
- Gulbis Shirtless.
- Thanks r218 -r220. Bulb is looks very fit, which hasn't always been the case for him.
Can you tell us where you found those pics? I'm always on the lookout or shirtless tennis players. Just like Pam Shriver.
- Bulb is = Gulbis.
Auto correct strikes again!
- Go Sloane Stephens! Pretty impressive comeback against Sharapova in Cincinnati. I wonder if Sharapova is bashing in the head of her new coach, Jimmy Connors, tonight.
- Wow, thanks, R218-R220. Gulbis has my favorite kind of chest - hairy, and with pink, slightly puffy nipples.
- SO glad Sloane knocked out that cunt Sharapova. Always great when she loses. Sloane's next opponent is another notorious bitch, Jankovic.
It's nice to see Kleybanova won her first round match here before losing to Kerber, as she's just coming back after her cancer recovery, and some time playing challengers to get her form.
Gulbis does look good in those pics-I'm glad he finally started training. He's a good looking guy and if he only had the focus of other rich kids (Federer and Nadal) he could be a multi-slam champ.
- BREAKING NEWS:
Bartoli retires from tennis! Just a couple tournaments after winning Wimbledon, she stated that her body can't handle the rigors of the tour anymore. What the fuck!! I can't. Worst slam winner ever. She's not even 30. Maybe if she were in better shape she could have lasted longer. Her lucky fluke slam win was a blight on the women's tour.
- What?!!! That's a total surprise. But then, she won a slam and I'm sure her career feels complete to her.
I think she can qualify for the year-end championships this year? WTF... She should at least finish the entire season before she retires.
- The first story I could find about her retirement.
- I heard it on the tennis channel. After Li finished her match, Davenport and the sportscaster announced it.
- here's a clip from Cincinnati.
- [quote]Bartoli, who was ranked seventh in the world, was beaten 6-3, 4-6, 1-6 by Simona Halep in the second round of the Cincinnati Open. She said she called her father to let him know of her decision.
It seems like such a spur of the moment thing. I hope she doesn't regret it.
And maybe her body would hurt less if she were a fitter athlete.
- The tour is a beast on players bodies. Most of the recent players who have been able to play well into their 30s had missed chunks of time on tour earlier in their careers (Serena, Haas, Robredo, Agassi, etc.). Federer is the rare exception. Otherwise, the top players who have played without a break are done by age 30, either hanging it up (Roddick, Graf, Seles, Davenport) or fading away (Venus, Fish).
- such a shame Pospisil lost to fucking Goffin today. I wanted to see him take it to Djokovic tomorrow. Goffin will be a routine win.
old man battle! Federer vs. Haas. I think Haas has a good shot at the upset.
- Now I want to see her entire interview.
I don't know her that well - is she prone to making impulsive decisions that she later takes back?
I know she's supposed to be a very intelligent woman, so I'm guessing that a fair amount of thought went into this.
- Eh, she's tired and not motivated. She won her slam. She knows she won't win another. Makes sense.
- See Fognini being his douchey self in double-faulting his way out of Cincinnati.
- This is the first Dimitrov match I've watched (on right now vs Nadal). There's something about him for sure.
Are he and Shazza still in a PR match up?
And Rafa's off to a sluggish start. Doubt he's too worked up about winning Cincy, and Dimitrov would be a respectable loss.
- I take that back. Rafa looked like he'd just woken up when the match started, but Dimitrov was too timid to take his chances. What an unimpressive look for a so-called up-and-comer.
- This Cincinnati draw couldn't have worked out any better for Ol' Pruneface Murray.
Novak, Rafa, and Roger are all in the opposite half from him. At most he only has to face one of those three if he wants to win the title here.
But I think DelPo might take him out in the semis so he won't even get that far.
- Dimitrov won't do well until he drops the beard... And I'm just the man to help him out!
- That picture won't fully load for me, R242. I see a really tight body, a tennis racket handle poking out of his crotch (!), and two beautiful nipples, but no face. Who is it?
- [R240], Murray is in the same half as Fed and Nadal. If he beats Berdych tomorrow, he'll have to beat one of those two to probably get a shot at Djokovic in the final.
- Thanks r245. My mistake - I must have had a brain fart when reviewing the bracket.
It's actually Djokovic that would only have to face one (at most) out of those other 3 to win the tournament.
- I love OP!
- Fognini should do a gay porno with Bolelli.
I'd pay to see that.
- so Radwanska withdrew because she's flying back to Poland for her grandfather's funeral.
- Dani V at R48: are you over Andy? Can I have him all for myself?
There's a line here buddy!
- R250 -- what R251 said. And it starts with ME.
I'm just sayin, maybe the Italian' true talents are in another court...
- Dani V, you lost your spot after you lusted after the Italians. I'm now first in the Andy line. R251 is next after me.
- Can't believe Djokovic and Murray lost. This has definitely been a tournament of upsets.
- I do hope Rafa doesn't double-bagel Roger tonight. How sad would that be?
Although if there's a pound of cream cheese handy, Mirka would enjoy the bagels.
- VERY happy to see Djokovic and Mugray lose. Hopefully Nadal will join them on the loser's side. I'd like to see Del Potro or Berdych win the title.
- Who won the pool?
Who had 1 match for how long the Sharapova/Conners partnership would last?
- R257, Damm!
Beyotch don't take no prisoners.
- I knew Sharapova would fire Conners as soon as she lost that match. All that press beforehand just makes the irony all the more delicious.
- Pay to watch porn r248 ? How '90s.
- Damn right r259!
- Nadal and Federer are playing right now.
- Don't break a hip, Fed.
- Federer takes the first set 7:5.
- Does anyone have an Radwanska gossip? Besides the fact that she's allegedly a jesus lover who posed nude?
- Nadal takes the second. Nadal up 3-1 now.....
- Jesus, I don't think Rafa has enough juice in the tank if he wins.
I LOVE Pam Shriver. Last week she called Li Na "unprofessional" for tugging on her shirt during the match.
- Although you probably couldn't tell tonight, I do respect my elders.
- I've always been fascinated by Pam Shriver: never won a Slam event, but always had a respectable singles career, and of course the long, successful doubles pairing with Navratilova.
Upper middle class kid, private school, Republican (!), always maintained she was straight. First husband was a much older guy who died, second husband was former James Bond (!) George Lazenby with whom she had twins and a terrible divorce. A long, mostly respectable broadcasting career.
So IS she a staunch heterosexualist, or a closeted throwback?
- Lord knows Pam Shriver just tries too hard period. Frankly, I think she's the worst broadcaster there is. Never shuts up about herself, always full of boring personal trivia no one cares about while there's a match being played.
- It's hard to picture Pam having a husband or even giving birth to a baby.
- Just like I can't picture Mary Carrillo having a child and being married to a guy. How did the husband not know???
- Pam is funny to me and she has a pearl-wearing stepford wife look now. BIG contrast to her white fro and tomboy appearance 30 years ago.
That was a good match between Federer and Nadal. Too bad Roger couldn't take it in straights but he showed he can still compete.
BFFS Azarenka and Wozniacki are playing now. I wonder if they're still friends? haven't seen them together for a while. I know in march of 2012 former bffs Azarenka and Radwanska had a falling out so I don't know if Wozniacki is in the middle or has taken a side.
- Did Stosur fire her coach today?
- If she didn't, she should. Stosur is a talented player but I think she's a bit of a head case.
- (R266), the only gossip i have is secondhand but apparently that bitchface Radwanska has is a very accurate reflection of what she's like.
- hahaha I hope Sharapova crashes out of the USO by the third round.
- R272, I vehemently disagree. I am the World's Worst Tennis Commentator.
- The only way Roger is ever going to beat Rafa again in this universe is if he goes Tonya Harding on him.
I hope Sweet DelPo ties that annoying stick-figure Isner into knots.
- I agree with r280. And that's about the only opinion she offers that makes any sense.
- I hope Isner loses. I can't stand how he plays. He is so over-rated.
- I want a Del Potro vs. Berdych final but I'm sure fucking Nadal will win everything. Ass-picker seems to be unstoppable again...
- I can't even look at Isner, AKA Mr. Fundie. He really needs to get more muscle on those string bean legs of his.
- Isner hates gays.
Get him, DLers.
- When did Isner say anything homophobic?
- I can't stand Isner either. I hate his style of play and he's such a goof.
- Isner tweeted about how O'Reilly was so spot on one night. Enough said. Fundie, not a good player, get lost.
- Delpo.. I just. How is it possible to choke so badly? Stupid mug :(
- I'm pissed at Delpo. I hate that he let that big, dorky slug get to the final.
- R281, don't think you'll be very happy with him now. I'm a fan of Delpo, but he was disgraceful today. He wasted how many match points.. I lost count. He lost the TB and eventually the set. It's the biggest choke I've ever seen from him, and that says something. Unbelievable. We WILL have an Isner vs Berdych or Nadal final.
- And he double faulted a couple of times in the tiebreak...
Didn't seem to be motivated at all in the final set.
- R293, maybe he tanked on purpose to rest up for the USO?
- Ugh, R292. WTF was that? It's like he went on a walkabout for 45 minutes.
No, I'm not happy. Shitty performance by DelPo. Shameful.
I won't be watching the final, but I hope Rafa humiliates Stretch.
- Stosur has split from her coach, Dave Taylor. I wonder if she'll try a lesbian coach again. Heck, she might even come out!
- Stosur is hiring Alicia Molik on a temporary basis. Is Molik a dyke?
- Terrible for me. I'm a Delpo fan and a Rafa fan. First Delpo lost, now Nadal is losing. I am so over with this day. Done. Oh well.. at least he can now rest and prepare for the USO. I guess a SF is not that bad.
- WTF R298? Rafa was never even close to losing to Berdych. Berdych is Rafa's pigeon.
- Never mind, he did it! Rafa won! Vamos! Another final for the GOAT.
- On another topic....Serena's coach is hot, hot, hot....
- Yes, Molik actually is a dyke from what I've heard, R297. Ha.
- I agree, r301.
- He is also her boyfriend R301.
- Azarenka now serving for the match against crazy Jankovic - if she can hold serve! In 25 games in the match thus far, there have been 21 breaks of serve. This must be a record.
- Ok, it's now 22 breaks of serve in 26 games but Azarenka still up 5-3 in the third.
- 23 breaks of serve in 27 games and it's now all over. Azarenka and Serena in the final.
- Molik is married to a guy and they recently had a baby...
eew at the men's final...not a fan of either
I hope Serena double bagels Azashrieka.
- Ugh. In the interest of tennis fans worldwide, can't we reorganize the finals this way:
Serena v. Rafa
Stretch v. Azashrieka
At least there will be a little suspense as to the outcomes.
- Get ready for a lot more of Isner. He'll be fawned over and shoved in our faces as the great American hope at the U.S. Open
- Isner lost the first set in the tie break. More boring player never existed. And, Carrillo and Courier are a boring, boring pair. Give me Cahill and Brad.
- Nadal wins. Amazing run....
This has to be the ugliest trophy I have ever seen....from the Pier1 Imports collection....
- "Carrillo and Courier are a boring, boring pair."
I couldn't have said it better myself. Really, I couldn't have.
- Congrats to Nadal. Amazing run indeed. Still don't think he'll win USO though. But I hope he proves me wrong!
- Congrats to Nadal thank god he has pushed misery down to third in the rankings. I predict Nadal to win the open
- Why on earth did the ATP decide it was a good idea to make cartoons of the top 10 running forward -- awkardly -- for the rankings and website.
What's next, the ATP comic book? The Superfriends of the ATP tour Saturday morning cartoon?
Click on each player and cringe.
- Good lord, cartoon Raonic looks even more hideous than the real thing. Murray, on the other hand, looks better.
- What cartoon?
- [quote]Murray, on the other hand, looks better.
Impossible, if they show him from behind.
- r318 read r316 and do what it says
you don't think those wisps of wind are real ...
- Vika beats Serena.
- I feel so good about Rafa's chances at the USO this year, I can't wait! I just hope he didn't play too much. In with the new GOAT out with that old goat.
- Yah, R321.
It was a good match. Azarenka knocked off the she beast in a 3rd set tie breaker. Williams did have a match point in the 3rd set and in the tie breaker.
- Shriver never shuts the fuck up
- The ugly trophy....there are no words...
- Ugh, Nadal is losing his hair rapidly. Isn't that a sign of excess testosterone?
- Report: Sharapova Trying To Change Her Name
If reports are true, and tennis superstar Maria Sharapova actually goes through with a proposed name change, it could be one of the greatest (and most bizarre) marketing ploys in the history of sports.
A story in the British newspaper The Times indicates that Sharapova has inquired with the Florida Supreme Court about a temporary name change.
The 26-year-old reportedly wants to change her surname to Sugarpova, the name of her line of candy, for the duration of the upcoming U.S. Open.
Sharapova, who fired coach Jimmy Connors last week after just one match together, will reportedly also look to wear the logo for Sugarpova, a set of red lips, on her attire at the U.S. Open. Sharapova is currently the third-ranked player in the world, behind Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka.
Thanks in part to Sugarpova and her other business ventures, Sharapova has become the highest paid female athlete in the world.
- I forgot the link.
- So does Rafa win the US Open Series title since Isner withdrew from Winston-Salem?
Is is just me, or has Maria become kind of a joke this year? For so long she’s developed such a strong reputation as the most serious and focused athlete. But her 2013 has been highlighted by her playing up that nonsense of (how did you catch us?) “secret relationship” with Dimitrov. The hiring and rapid firing of Jimmy Connors almost seems like it was a media-seeking effort as well.
And now she is coming across as even more ridiculous with this request to have her name listed as Sugarpova for the USOpen. WTF?
Does she have a new PR team this year? It’s like suddenly for the first time in her decade as a pro player she’s been acting like a goofy 13-year old girl.
- Speaking of $ugarpova, no USO for her...just announced that she's withdrawing due to bursitis in her shoulder again. This is the same problem she had a few years ago and eventually had it surgically repaired.
- R327, she has said the Superpova name-change thing was a lie. Didn't happen.
- Sharapova has lost the fear factor other players used to have in playing her.
- TennisReporters is reporting that Sharapova had received shoulder injections, was advised not to play for 4 months.
- sniff...I'm going to miss seeing her take an early round loss...hopefully she won't need surgery though. It's no fun when players you love to hate are injured.
- I'll take her place!
Melanie Oudin first round qualie loser hoping to be a LL
- Melanie, you need to grow some tits, otherwise I think you'll have to look to the men's draw.
- Melanie, you have to make the final round of qualifying to be a lucky loser.
Come sit by me. I'll console you.
- Sharapova, who I actually like, has lucked out. Her talent is decent, no doubt. I mean if Davenport or Capriati played now? Each would have seven or eight Slams. If Sharapova played from 98-02 in her prime she would have won one.
- R336 just eew. Sugarpova is not likable. Horrible attitude and boring, ugly tennis not to mention that grunt.
We can joke about Oudin all we want, but even if she does nothing else in her career, she won 1 singles title, won a mixed doubles slam, reached the 4th round of Wimbledon, QF of the US, is 1-0 vs. Sugarpova and 2-1 vs. Jankobitch.
Oudin keeps losing so it's doubtful Sugarpova will have a chance to avenge that loss lol
- Serena Williams will be on David Letterman tonight. Maybe he can make her funny.
- I bet the newly tempestuous Sharapova crossed her arms, stomped her feet, and said something like "Fine, then I'm not gonna play your stupid tournament!" when she heard the USOpen wouldn't be officially listing her name as Sugarpova.
- In other, but probably more shocking news.. Verdasco finally won a match at the Winston-Salem Open! Wohoo! Not that the field this year is very strong, but still.. definitely progress for him with the way he's been playing lately.
- US OPEN draw is out....
Djoko got screwed....he should beat Delpo, Murray and Nadal (if everything goes according to Plan)
Federer to meet Nadal in the QF.
- I really miss the Capriati/Serena rivalry.
- Newly tempestuous? Sugarpova has bitch face for days. You just know she's a raging cunt when a camera isn't on her. But I give her props for making the most of what is really a very limited game and somehow convincing the world that she's a raving beauty.
- Maria Shriekapova is on a downward spiral for fucking sure. The second half of her year has been shit!
Don't believe for a minute that Rafa is gonna win the US Open, and I don't give a fuck how good he's played on hardcourts this year.
Queen Victoria is the ONLY player who can even somewhat challenge Serena. Hope those two make it to the final.
- Serena on Letterman last night attached...
She seemed like she was loose (or looser than in some other interviews) and was having fun. Also she looks good.
- "Queen" Victoria? What exactly is she queen of? certainly not tennis.
I quite like the men's draw, though Murray has unfortunately the easiest path.
I hate the women's draw.
There are some good players who have qualified today for the main draw. Karlovic is among them and will give whomever he draws hell in the first round.
Cutie Donald Young advanced too.
- Serena has NEVER looked good, and she shrieks with the best of them.
- R347 you hatin' ass bitch! Serena has looked good plenty of times, including in that clip R345 just posted.
For women qualifiers of note, former teen prodigy and recent Screamapova conqueror Larcher De Brito along with up and coming 17 year old Victoria Duval (originally from Haiti) are through to the main draw. Duval and her family were 1 of many affected by the horrible earthquake a few years ago in Haiti. Her father was buried alive and was near death when finally rescued.
- Keep yelling that to yourself r348.
You just might start to believe it!
- R349 hi there $ugarpova. I know you have a lot of time on your hands now since you won't be playing the USO, but Serena looks good currently. Not all of us subscribe to the "only white is right" theory.
- Who, in their right mind, would want to put a smooch on that fat, hairy ass?
- De Brito was very lucky at Wimbledon when she played Sharapova. Maria was injured and so uneasy on that court. I'm not Maria's biggest fan by a long way but De Brito got her on the best day possible. De Brito will hang about 50-100 for a few years if she is lucky but dont see her going any higher
- You know it's true...
- psst Ace
- Damn, Rafa's hair is thinning like crazy! Time to shave that shit off.
- R352 and Sharapova only beat a healthy Serena once. The YEC win was over an injured Serena. After winning the first set, Serena suffered an abdominal tear but continued to play on.
Azarenka has only beaten a sub par Serena-she has a win over an immobile Serena with bad knee in Miami a few years ago, a sick Serena earlier this year, and then Serena with an abdominal strain last week.
Do those wins count less? Most fans say no, so Larcher De Brito and Stephens' wins over Sharapova count just as much.
- LMAO at R356
I still remember the GI excuse Williams tried to use against Capriati in a grandslam(semi match I think)
Pleading to the chair umpire that
she just couldn't hold it in. It was fucking hysterical. In reality, Williams was just trying to slow down her ass kicking from a very motivated Capriati.
It didn't work. Williams lost and Capriati went on to win the slam... which put a nice feather in her comeback cap.
I LOVED IT.
- Fifth Harmony, Ariana Grande, Austin Mahone, Lawson, Coco Jones, and Cazzette.
Free concert: Before You Exit, Kenton Duty, Trevor Jackson, Megan Nicole, CityKids and Lucki Gurlz
That is the SUPERSTAR lineup of music acts scheduled to lip synch for Arthur Ashe Kids Day later today. Every year they've managed to get at least one fairly well known singer or group, but looks like they struck out this summer.
At least the first lady will be there as part of the Let's Move campaign.
- Ariana Grande is a new singer with a great voice and is popular. The others suck yes.
I see the regular anti-Serena troll is back in this thread.
- To be exact, 2001 French Open quarterfinal.
She got her bathroom break(in fact, I think she got 2), but it sure as shit didn't stop her from losing the 3rd set 2-6.
- Nope r360
It was the 2001 Wimbledon quarterfinals. The court side open mic picked up everything and it was fucking hilarious.
From a NY times reporter...
Williams rushed to the chair umpire after falling behind Capriati 4-0 in the 3rd set and ran off the court and into the bathroom, where she said she got sick to her stomach.
- And this...
But ailments are not new to Williams. At times, it seems as if critical matches trigger them.
At the Australien Open, Williams disclosed a case of food poisoning after losing in 3 sets to Martina Hingis. In Miami, Williams limped through a 2 set loss to Capriati with a knee injury. 3 wks ago, in a French Open loss to Capriati, Williams said she was not herself after a 3 month layoff because of injury.
Could it be Williams was just unable to stomach a loss? "Don't know," said Davenport, who watched the Capriati match before her own. "But it looked like that."
- Hi there, anti-Serena troll. We get it that you're mad that your overrated fave $ugarpova is not playing, but do you really need to make post after post about Serena again? You're as desperate as $ugarpova is trying to beat Serena. Both of you fail.
- Yet some people wonder why Williams was pegged as a sore loser/bad sport.
- Nadal vs. Ryan Harrison – That's a pretty interesting Day 1 match.
When the draw came out I thought for sure that would be the opening night match on Ashe. But instead they are going with Federer vs Zemlja.
I wonder if they worry that Rog won’t be going deep enough in the tournament to give him another shot at the prime time slot.
Rafa vs. Harrison will be on Ashe though, but it’s scheduled to be the last match of the afternoon session.
- Unless Federer's back is still hurting him and/or he plays like shit, he should destroy Zemlja.
1 match that should NOT be on Ashe is Radwanska vs. Soler-Espinosa. That will be too boring to watch. Jankovic-Keys should have been on there instead.
Venus-Flipkens will be interesting. If Venus is in good form she'll win handily, if not we'll see another Toronto result.
Serena-Schiavone is decent too. Even though it will be straight sets, Schiavone is a slam champ and at least she'll get on Ashe before losing this year.
DL'ers-try to watch Ferrer-Kyrgios if you can. The new Aussie kid is a real talent but I don't think he's consistent enough or in good enough shape right now to beat Ferrer. If he continues to improve and get in good shape, he'll be a good player in the future though.
Verdasco-Dodig and Jankovic-Keys could be fun matches to watch.
- The reason Radwanska is opening on Ashe is because ov TV. ESPN doesn't start broadcasting until 1pm, so Keys ( and Stephens) are on court later in the day to make their broadcast window. They're leaving Radwanska for Tennis Channel.
- and the USO officially starts!!! Yay. DL'ers, don't even bother checking tennis updates for at least an hour though. I just looked at the list of matches starting right now (11 AM) and all of them look on paper to be 1-sided boring blowouts. I won't even look at the scores until noon time.
The first day match that might be good is Verdasco-Dodig and then Venus-Flipkens. After that, things on paper won't look good until the third matches of the day start. Interesting third matches are Nadal-Harrison, Jankovic-Keys, Razzano-Pavlyuchenkova. Tomorrow has much better first round matches overall.
- oh dear wow. We already have our first double bagel of the USO: Suarez Navarro def. Davis 60 60 How embarrassing. Carla's spin must have been bouncing over Lauren's head, I would guess.
upset possibility: Nishikori is shocking having trouble with Evans (? some random Brit) and has lost the first set.
- WTF Nishikori. Gonna be straight setted by some random British ho?
- Venus's strategy of distracting her opponent with her horrific hair and dress appears to be working
- so glad Venus won. She's much better than Flipkens, who is a very weak seed on hardcourts. I love that Venus goes for different styles. Pop stars can dye their hair crazy colors so why not Venus? She has a decent draw this year with Flipkens gone.
- JMAC gets a boner every time he talks about Nadal. He has got a man crush....
Nadal looking cute, btw.
- Breaking: former #4 James Blake to retire after the USO
- Nothing wrong with different styles, but nearly all of Venus's are just plain bad
- r373 McEnroe's crush doesn't compare to good Nadal fuck fantasy... you know, like mine, where every time he does that ridiculous rub-the-nose-rub-hair benind the left ear-hair behind the right ear rub the nose routine, I get to slap him or spank his ass, flip him around and fuck him harder... which he knows will happen again because he's an uptight OCD bottom who needs it that way... which is why he does it...
- Can someone please make a new thread for US Open? Thanks.
- [quote]JMAC gets a boner every time he talks about Nadal. He has got a man crush.... Nadal looking cute, btw.
Nadal is cute! And he's soooo tanned. How is it possible to get that gorgeous tan? I guess it must be those Spanish genes. Unfortunately he's been playing like crap today though. Maybe this little rain break can help him re-focus. The first round curse is working it's magic again, unfortunately.
- JMac's crush doesn't even come close to his brother's obnoxious salivating over Agassi and Roddick
- PATHETIC loss by Gulbis to lose to Haider-Maurer in 5 sets. What a joke.
-  pass the cigarette.....
- Sounds hot, R376. That ass is just made to be fucked.
Anyway.. still waiting for my US Open thread :)
- goodness beautiful Stephens just survived a 4-6 6-3 7-6(5) match against pretty journeywoman Minella. That was a scratchy match.
- Lenny Kravitz is performing at the US Open? Is it 1998?
- Here's the link to the 2013 U.S. Open thread. Let the arguing begin.
- Since the U.S. Open is almost over, we should just return here to ride it out, not unlike the way Monaco rides Nadal's ass.
- I'd love to ride both of their asses.
- Wawrinka has great nipples. They won't help him against Djokovic, but at least he can play with them when he gets home.
- I can't get over how much these Russian tennis players must fear the power of the regime... Not ONE of them feels they can directly state that the anti-gay law in Russia are unacceptable. Kuznetsova sounds particularly grating ("them"??? really???), but the worst is Davydenko ("My job's tennis, I stay out of politics").
And I'm now convinced that the best way to avoid having to respect their country's rules (as they put it) is simply to boycott the country, its tennis tournaments, its sporting events in general—and not just its vodka.
I find Davydenko's answer perfectly acceptable. They should stay out of politics.
Or maybe if you were a journalist you would like to ask Serena Williams and John Isner about Edward Snowden or Trayvon Martin and you expect an honest and direct answer from them. Good luck with that.
- R390 - I think you might mean that Davydenko's answer is typical - typical for a troglodyte sportsperson - but surely not acceptable. Or are you happy with the fact that (a good number of) sportspeople have very little idea of what's happening in their own country?
- R390 I get what you mean. Look at the trouble Serena got into when she made comments on the Steubenville rape case.
- Djokovic and Wawrinka sure look close after their matches (I'm not suggesting anything, but they look cute):
- AO again:
- USO again:
- And one more USO:
- Stan was close to tears. Who knew that the Swiss were so emotional
- And Kuzy is the one of the most obvious lesbians in the game. However, you can't expect her to speak out about such an issue because there will likely be consequences.
- WHET Malivai Washington, the handsome African-American player with the thighs of death?
- I don't know what happened to him but I do agree that he is one handsome man. I do know that his sister was playing on the WTA tour at one point.
- Look at the shape of those gams...
- Mal Washington did some commentary after he retired, but he was a huge bore and didn't last long.
Think these days he's still doing tennis-related stuff.
He has a Twitter.
- Mal was at the US Open all week working for AmEx radio. He would introduce/interview players on Armstrong & Grandstand. He also played in the Seniors Mens event with Pat Cash... That's four killer thighs on one side of the court.
- He should come back and try again on Tennis Channel, R403. They'll take anybody.
- r405 - True. They hired Gimelblob.
- I'm bumping this since the USO is done.
R393 - R397 's pictures were a nice set, thanks. I don't know much about Wawrinka but I wouldn't be surprised if Djoker is bicurious. He seemed like much more fun on that front a few years ago. I recall a video where he dressed up as Shakira and proceeded to grind on a fellow Serbian player...he also did a few fashion shows where he'd strip to a speedo. God, maybe he wouldn't be so lost on the court if he just had a little fun with life these days.
- Who has the biggest package in tennis? Sadly, I never notice any guys with big baskets in this sport.
- Not sure who has the biggest package, but Tommy Haas seems to get very excited when he's on court. I guess that's a good thing...
- great angle.
- r408 - Well, legend has it, Lleyton Hewitt. He was definitely showing in his white shorts at the USO.
- Can we get some pics of uber hot and sexy Carlos Costa, former tour player and longtime manager of Rafael Nadal? Was he always so hot or is this a later in life sexy older guy kind of thing? Straight?
- I've looked for the Tommy Haas bulge before, but have never seen anything truly salient. He needs to pull a Muster, and let us better scope out the goods.
There is definitely something happening in Hewitt's shorts in that one video, though... Does he really run around like that without a jockstrap?
- r413 - I'm not sure when the video is from, but he seemed to be jock-free at the USO too. (And frequently rearranging himself.)
- Please, these guys have got nothing on me!
- R407, my post seems to have disappeared but I was agreeing with you about Nole possibly being bicurious at least and that he really does seem to be having less fun for whatever reason. I hope if he's been pressured into being more serious that he can be more like his old self again.
- eew don't imply that Gilles Shitmon is hot. He's scrawny, has bad teeth and is misogynistic. Tsonga and Clement are the hot French guys. Too bad Clement retired.
- I read today that Nicole Vaidisova is making a comeback and she is divorcing Radek Stepanek. Radek is now dating Petra Kvitova. He was engaged to Martina Hingis, married to Vaidisova and now with Kvitova. Boggles the mind....
- Agree, Djoker isn't much fun anymore. But, he did win one slam, 2 shams finals and 1 slam semifinal. For anyone not named Nadal, Nole had a good year. And for the moment, he is still ranked #1.
- R421, if he is happy to be more serious and feels it helps him do better then more power to him. I just hope it is not actually counterproductive and he would be even better if he were having more fun.
- That should have been R420 obviously...not addressed to myself!
- Did anyone watch the BJK show on PBS last night?
I'm curious to know if she talked about lesbianism and how/when she decided that she could be open about her life.
- Love the pic of the hug between Serena and Vika. When Serena says she thinks Vika is cool, I believe it, and Vika had been extremely generous in her praise for Serena.
Meanwhile, while other players were tweeting congratulations to Vika and Serena, Sharapova's tweet was "I'll be there next year."
- No one really likes Sharapova. While for some it is most certainly jealousy (I'm looking at you Jankovic), most of them just think she's a bitch who keeps to herself. It is any wonder Sharapova has had issues with Serena, Venus (hasn't said anything but if you're a Venus fan you know when she doesn't like someone), Azarenka, Jankovic, Radwanska, Schnyder, Myskina etc? Sharapova is also no longer friends with bff Kirilenko but it's not clear why. They don't hug and kiss at net anymore like they used to.
I just wish Capriati's shoulder had not given out at the end of 2004. If she could have stayed on tour another 2 years, y'all KNOW she would have hated Sharapova. Between the shrieking grunt and the bitchy attitude, Capriati would have gone ballistic at Maria and Yuri. Would have been hilarious.
- It's no secret that Sharapova is a cunt and almost universally disliked by the other players on the tour.
- r426 - If she could commit to being a straight-up "villain" type, that would be way more fun. But she's a mealy mouthed shill most of the time, so nah. I can't.
- Remember when Nole had a nicer ass than Rafa?
- Rafa wins the ass contest, by far.
- No, R428. Thought it was nice when he wasn't so skeletal.
Where's Pammy? I miss hearing about her 100% heterosexual adventures. Whose male loins is she lusting after these days? And Chrissie? Oh wait, I heard Chrissie's contract is up for renewal, so I'm sure her mouth will be quite full for the rest of the week. Come up for air why don't ya? And Mirka I heard about this brand new diet that is uniquely personalized to the dieter that I'm CERTAIN will work for you. It's called Roger losing. 3.6 million dollars worth of chocolates just slipped through your sausage like fingers, dear.
- Rafa might have the best ass, but Murray wins the best overall body contest: chest, abs, ass, thighs, legs.
I know, I know he's fugly bu that body more than makes up for the face.
- Has anyone read this interview? It's a must read, trust me. She heavily implies that Rafa is gay. It's an old interview.. but still.
- R432 thanks for that. That British journalist lady pissed him off by digging deeper and deeper about more Xisca information lol. Professional athletes are largely horn dogs. I can't see him just not having sex except a few days a year. If she doesn't secretly come out to meet him between tournaments, he must be getting it elsewhere. I'm sure he got some after the USO win. He's not playing again for several weeks.
R431 no way does Murray have the best body. There are plenty others on tour who look much better.
- 13-year-old Tommy Haas on Trans World Sport
- r432 - That's about the only time Rafa has ever been pressed in an interview (not that I can think of a time that any other top player has had anything but a cream puff interview either). It was kind of fascinating.
I think Rafa's team shut down any other candid interviews after that. And Xisca is around much more now; there are always photos of them at the beach in between tourneys. There are plenty of candid-seeming photos of them being affectionate, although when they walk somewhere together, she is almost always trailing behind him and he's not checking for her.
One of the strangest more recent photo opps; Rafa & Xisca. . . attend a Julio Iglesias concert. Yes, Julio, like all the kids are listening to, haha. You know Rafa was doing someone a favour, but still weird.
- Interesting interview with Rafa's PR guy (who was also Novak's for about 4 years); sounds like Rafa is 100% a company man who is pretty self-contained naturally, and Novak was far more of a loose cannon, but wanted to change.
Since he still works for Rafa, obviously he's very complimentary toward him. But funny for a PR pro that he actually calls Djokovic arrogant (though not in a malicious way).
- Tommy Haas on "Trans" Workf Sports. Hehe.
- I finally had a chance to watch the American Masters Billie Jean King show. They stuffed a lot of information into an hour and a half episode. They could have done 3 hours easily.
As someone that wasn't alive during those years, it was interesting to hear about how teh sport was before professional tennis. Learning about the formation of the Virginia Slims tour was fascinating, but I wish they could have gone more in depth on that part of the story.
One thing I never knew - Margaret Court had a "Battle of the Sexes" match against Bobby Riggs before BJK had her much more famous Astrodome match.
And she did talk about the soured (apparently, although they didn't go into how or why) affair with a woman on her staff that led to her outing in 1981 while she was still married to her husband. I would have liked to know more about that part of her story too.
It was notable that neither Navratilova or our own Pammie Shriver were interviewed for the show.
- Tommy Haas is hot now but he was FUG at 13.
- Full disclosure, fans: the American Masters folks ASKED to interview me, but I was so BUSY patrolling the DUDE'S locker room at Wimbledon that I couldn't make the TIME. The good news is the amount of SKIN I was able to SNATCH a peek at! I saw Fognini's firm FANNY, Tommy's tanned TITTIES, and Fed's floppy PHALLUS. So hot!!!
But the biggest DONG I spied was on this Australian guy named Sam Stosur. AMAZE-BALLS. All us straight gals like Kerber, Daniilidou, and Srebotnik compared TALES about our biggest SCORES. So I know BILLIE would have approved, since she was once a strictly HETERO-GAL, married to that stud LARRY. I never understood how Billie scored Larry - he could have had any CHICK in town. Why, that CURVY Wendy Turnbull threw herself at him, while good ol' Ginny Wade was basically on her KNEES 24/7. Back in those days the GALS tour was a HOTBED of whoring... But enough about Chrissie!
Well kids, gotta run, there's a great GEORGE LAZENBY flick coming on!
- I can't help it. Hetero Pammie makes me laugh every time.
- so it's true...
- What actually attracts all these young women to Stepanek? I know the usual answer, but in all seriousness, I think he must possess some sort of unreal charisma in person. Has anyone met him?
To get some gay discussion going again, I found the video that was referenced either here or on one of the US Open threads of Djoker and another Serbian player. Most of you may have already seen it. Anyway I would be very surprised if he, based on the way he interacts with the other guy in the video, is not bicurious. At one point he seems as if he's going to put his mouth on the other guy's chest and he's very eager to go in for the fake kiss at the end. My analysis of the other guy's reactions is that he seems amused but shocked. I'm surprised that I've never heard anything about Djoker and guys.
- Incidentally, after Raonic beat him in a 5-set Davis Cup match, Tipsarevic gave Milos a firm ass slap at the net. Some kind of Serbian brotherhood thing?
- And speaking of Davis Cup, Team Serbia throws up all kinds of shade. Ha, perhaps Djokovic's arrogance is a national trait:
[quote]“Every aspect in the Davis Cup counts and while we would have preferred to be two points to the good, we can take a lot of positives today and the main one is that Canada’s first-ranked player had to work his socks off to beat our second-ranked,” he added.
[quote]Tipsarevic said: “I am very disappointed because I thought I looked the fresher and fitter player in the final set. I could have carried on for another hour or two if I had to while Milos appeared to be running on fumes, but his huge serve bailed him out.”
Yeah, they were so confident in Tipsy that they pulled an offside by watering the clay court before the 5th set to slow down Raonic's serve.
- I love Pammie and heterosexual sensible shoes and stated boundaries.
Did that really happen, R445? I can't say that I'm surprised. And I think I remember a similar incident like that somewhere in South America but I can't remember the exact country. Sadly, the cheating/ poor sportsmanship can get pretty bad in DC.
- r446 - Yup. I watched the match. Not only did they water the indoor court, it was done with no consultation with Canada and then the players immediately resumed the match when the court was still really wet. Raonic said it was annoying, but good on him for not losing it mentally, even if he did play quite sloppily for most of the match.
The Canadian commentators couldn't believe it, but said it was still much better than the tie they played in Israel a few years ago where apparently rocks were thrown at the Canadian bench.
- r447 and r446 - very old tactics indeed. The Russians once watered their clay courts until they were slushy mud to take the edge off Sampras and Courier in the 1995 final.
- Wow!. I love DC but I hate that aspect of it. It just sours the whole thing. I'm so glad Raonic was able to handle and still win. Turning the court into a slushy mess just to win is beyond ridiculous.
- Old Man Nestor gets the dubs point for Canada.
There were tons of empty seats in the stadium for day 2. I guess the crowds only come out to watch Djokovic. There's also a large Canadian section who seemed far more into it than the bored-looking home crowd.
- Billie Jean's ex Marilyn Barnett (the one who outed her by suing for palimony) was one of those hot-but-batshit-crazy types. She tried taking her own life several times before finally succeeding some years ago. BJK was no prize either, BTW.
- Funny how lesbians don't have a problem seeing sexual harrassment in a male supervisor employing a girlfriend or boyfriend, but they give Ms. King a pass on this highly unethical conduct.
- Why is everyone saying "good for Raonic that he didn't let the cheating affect him"? Dude is a cheater himself. Don't forget just a month ago he did that cheating shit to Del Potro.
That said, I would like to see Canada win this DC tie. It would be funny as hell and the Serbians would be furious.
- r454 - Are you the troll who keeps bringing up the net touch? He publicly acknowledged that he should have confessed on the spot. If you're going to obsess over something trivial, at least keep up.
- Very interesting gossip indeed! Tracy Austin seemed like an hypocrite two faced bitch. She always crashed Sabatini commentating her matches but she said she was one of her favorite players when Gaby retired.
There seems to be something going on between Monaco and Nadal. Rafa's relationship with his girlfriend seems super weird and Pico is dating a girl that was linked to a soccer player who was supposedly gay. Plus, they seem to take more vacations together than with their own girlfriends.
And I love the commments of hetero Pammy!
- What's up with Jim Courier and his wife?? I always thought he was gay but I never heard a rumor about it.
- I think there have been lots of rumors but few actual facts, R457.
- r458 - No, of course Jim is also a staunch heterosexualist. Like all ladies' men, he was a big fan of the Tales of the City and gets a little misty-eyed when interviewing handsome ATP players.
- I think Rafa is asexual. He totally pings, but I also think he just doesn't give a shit about sex.
Of course, I have absolutely zero evidence for such an assertion.
- Love that photo r453! Coupled with the photo in r442's post, it sort of makes you wonder what sort of power Stepanek wields over the ladies and, apparently, the gentlemen...
- Nadal with his friends in Mallorca. Is it just me or do they look kinda gay?
- I was expecting hotter friends...blah
- he only has male friends?
- So is Rafa now the best ever? I think if he wins the AO, he is.
- r462 - These guys are probably local acquaintances hand-picked by Team Nadal for the photos. Nadal never strays off-brand.
- Yaaaas hunties! Venus Williams knocked out Azashrieka today!
full match linked below.
- Azarenka totally tanked the match. She didn't run to the balls, she was too busy being an actress on court. I thought I was watching wrestling. She should take acting lessons next time.The bookies must have been ecstatic.
- Whether Azarenka wasn't 100% or whatever, this is a great win for Venus. Azarenka is now 0-3 against her. 1 would think she would try to get that first win. Venus hasn't been 100% for several years now anyway, so this win totally counts. I'd say 60% Venus def. 40% Azarenka isn't bad at all.
- I'm sure you're right. They still look gay though! lol
- Oops, that was meant for R466.
- r471 - True. I guess Rafa likes to be the pretty one.
- Djokovic & Jelena Ristic are now engaged. I always find it funny when couples who have been living common law for years make a big pearl-clutching deal out of getting engaged, like it's 1950. These two have been together for 8 years.
Wonder if Team Nadal will make a move and also announce an engagement to the GF? Probably not their style.
- R473 who knows-maybe she's pregnant? sometimes that could be the reason...we'll know depending on how quickly the weddingi happens.
- BREAKING NEWS this might possibly deserve its own thread!
Martina Hingis' husband accuses her of not only cheating on him, but also that Martina, her mother, and mother's bf beat him up! whoa.
crazy this makes Capriati seem sane:
- r474 - Could be. I still think it's funny when two people have been sharing an address for longer than many marriages last act all blushing and coy when they get engaged. But I expect "luxury brand manager" Ristic to get the most mileage out of this.
r475 - Holy shit! I didn't even know Hingis was married. I had no idea Miss Prissy Princess was this messy either. I mean, we knew she was a party girl after her coke suspension but this is so hilariously trashy!
- Either way, whether the husband is totally lying, partially lying/exaggerating or he's telling the truth, this story is an embarrassment. Hingis was just making a comeback on tour in doubles (and with her that means she was likely testing the waters for another singles comeback after seeing over 30 Serena win so much), but this will put a stop to that. She won't want to have to face the press.
I don't know if you the rest of you have seen pics of Hingis' French soon-to-be-ex hubby but he looks more feminine than she does and she's by no means a tomboy.
- R477 I agree. He looks even more feminine than the guy Justine Henin married to become Justine Henin-Hardenne. I mean, that was just obvious.
- Hingis was always a cunt. I loved watching her play at her peak, but she was a cunt.
Stepanek must have a thick 10 inches. Nothing else explains his appeal. Jeezus, those jacked up teeth!
- Hingis could school Sharapova in cuntitude, which is really saying something, but there is no way she could handle the power of the women's game as a singles player.
- Hingis was a cunt's cunt. Terrific watching the Williams sisters destroy her career.
- from twitter
Hingis is in the crowd for Venus-Bouchard. No sign of a DVD player.
- Hingis flew out because of a contract (she was originally entered and withdrew at the last minute when this personal life mess happened).
Here she is jealously watching Venus beating newcomer Bouchard:
- Venus Williams vs Eugenie Bouchard Tokyo 2013 Highlights
- Very fishy news...
Ryan Sweeting and the chick from Big Bang Theory have been dating for 3 months, but they just got engaged.
Could she be knocked up? Not that couples feel the need to have shotgun weddings anymore, but why else would someone get engaged so early in a relationship?
I never even suspected Sweeting was gay until news that he started dating this Cuoco.
- Is Ryan Sweeting still playing?
- R484 Venus should have won that 6-3 6-3 but took her foot off the gas a bit in that second set. Bouchard will be top 20 for sure though.
Sweeting I think got injured this year. He was losing a lot in the first few months and hasn't played since. I haven't heard anything about him retiring yet. If he marries this girl, he very well could though. He definitely managed to date out of his league (status-wise) but his good looks are what Cuoco must be drawn to.
The semifinal against Kvitova should be fun. Didn't watch Kvitova's matches recently but Venus is definitely getting better each match.
- sigh...I think Lopez looked better without the beard and with longer hair...
- That beard really ages Lopez. He needs to go back to his long hair!!!
- Breaking: the talented, but also lazy, fat fuck David Nalbandian has retired from tennis due to an ongoing shoulder injury. Bye boo. I hate how he never gave his all to getting fit. He was a natural talent and gave Federer and Nadal absolute HELL but he was too lazy to commit fully himself to the game, which is why he never won a slam.
- I'll miss that fat fuck Nalbandian. I actually liked him quite a bit.
- r493 - Haha! And agreed.
- Yes, Nalbi was talented, and I remember he was a point or two from beating Roddick in the semis the year Roddick won the Open. I'm sure he would have beaten Ferrero. Oh, well. He was ugly, tho.
BTW, Nole looks cute with longer hair in Beijing. And Rafa looks fetching in blue.
- It's unconfirmed but people are talking about Serena possibly having broken up with Patrick Mouratoglou despite retaining him as a coach. Fans in Beijing also reported Serena was crying during practice the other day. This week, she has been struggling in her matches with close scores against the likes of over-the-hill Schiavone and non-threat Kirilenko.
I've been wondering what would happen if Serena broke up with her coach.
Maybe he can go give Shriekapova some advice.
Doesn't she still need a new coach?
- We'll see how much longer he's a part of her team. Who knows-it could be some other personal issue or maybe even something physical, but the rumors are out there.
Shriekapova said in a recent interview she plans to return for the YEC (year ending championships). We'll see if the bitch does come back then. No word on a new coach, but it was rumored she's going back with her evil father.
- Nadal nearly lost today.. he was under 6-2, 4-1 40-30*.. then Fognini imploded. But Nadal was very bad. He was awful.
- Andy Roddick tried to fight Novak Djokovic in U.S. Open locker room
- Wow, douchebaggery all around R500!
- "You swallow it sometimes"
That I believe.
- Mr. Gabe Kaplan looks like he does a lot of swallowing.
- Djokovic is an ass but Roddick always was an entitled, spoiled rich brat who thought he was a tough guy. What was he really going to do? If he assaulted Djokovic, he would have been banned forever from the tour. I hate how hyped up he was. He's SO lucky the other male Americans in his generation all sucked. I always was embarrassed that he was America's #1 player after Agassi retired. Disgrace.
Nadal was very lucky that Fognini self-imploded. He was kicking the ass-picker's ass and just got tight. Story of Nadal's career.
- r499 - I was wondering if he'd choke in the last stretch. He needs to win his semi to regain #1.
r502 - Haha! That was hilarious though, because they're not just douchebags, they're posturing dbags. As if they ever would have actually fought! (Though if they had, I'd put my money on Djoker. Roddick is bigger but he's soft and slow while Djoker would definitely fight dirty and fast.)
I'm not a fan of violence, but it's very "tennis" to mouth off, or make a gesture and then scamper off to the massage room.
I do hope Roddick spills some more backstage trash. I imagine he'll back off if he gets any backlash unfortunately.
- r505 - Your theory is that Nadal's entire career is based on other players choking? He sure must have a lot of luck stored in his ass of his that he's been able to pick 13 majors out of it.
And while Roddick was always my favourite player to hate-watch, I have to give him full credit for squeezing a pretty great career out of an unexceptional amount of talent. I admit I liked watching Agassi's game much more, but I'll take Roddick's pro-gay frat boy over Agassi's vomitous phony zen master schtick any day.
- A long thread. Has Bill Tilden been discussed?
- R507, comparing Roddick's game to Agassi's, even a tiny bit, is sacrilegious and moronic. Agassi is an all time great. Roddick is a footnote.
- r509 - I compared their court personas. There's no contest who was a better player, obviously. And settle down - there's nothing sacred about Agassi.
- anyone who watches tennis knows Nadal DOES get lots of guys collapsing or choking, its all that topspin and the way he grinds and runs, it gets on an opponents nerves and they choke a lot more, because they HAVE to make the play, Nadal will not just make an easy error like Federer does when he loses ... Nadal's tics and game bore me, and his false humility is getting OLD too
- R510, in tennis he is. He won all four Slams when they were actually different surfaces. He and Laver, to me, are the only true career Slam holders. I love Nadal, but he and Fed have career Slams on basically two surfaces, in terms of speed.
- I respect Nadal as the great champion he is, but if you look at his results over the years, a good third of his wins come from choking or mental implosions of his opponents.
I saw the match with Fognini. Sexy Fabio was up 6-2 4-2 30-0 and then the wheels went off. That 4-2 game went to deuce numerous times before Fognini just couldn't keep himself together anymore. There are countless other times when Nadal should have lost but lucked out. I'm not talking about the times he demolished opponents or won matches when both players were relatively even.
- R513, you have to be joking. You think Rafa beat Fed at Wimby 08, AU 09, all those French's, and Djoker in the French semi and USO this year because they choked? Did you watch those matches? Rafa is relentless, never gives up, plays great defense and offense, has a wicked forehead, a great backhand, and a good enough serve. He has no weaknesses, except his knees. He's an AO away from maybe taken GOAT from Fed and Laver, or at least tying them. You're insane if you think he wins because others implode. Have you every considered they "implode" because of Rafa's game?
- Fabio needs to show a little less facial hair, and a little more skin.
Those Capri pants he wears are ridiculous.
- R514 not all the matches. I'm talking about a lot of the ones in which Nadal is way down and has no momentum. Suddenly, he'll get lucky and the opponent will make some horrible miss on an easy shot and things will turn on a dime. You're delusional if you think all of Nadal's comebacks didn't involve choking or mental implosions from his opponents.
- That is the essence of almost all comebacks, idiot
- 513 yeah and rafa SUCKS to watch heavy topspin grinder with nervous tics and fake injuries-- his knees are suddenly golden? how? Fed is a millions times more fun to watch, even as he fades...
- You guys seriously think that Pico Monaco is gay?????????? Hhahahahhahahhaha, OMG, funny thing ever, he fucked every single model, actress and vedette in Buenos Aires and sorroundings. The only sad part is that he is getting married with Zaira Nara, bigest money chaser ever, who was dumped weeks before her wedding with football player Diego Forlan because she didn't signed the prenup.
- Luckdal wins 4-2 over Berdych who retired with an injured back. yawn...
- Winning due to Berdych's retirement is lucky. As for the rest of it, your theory is ludicrous r516. Luck plays a part in any sport, but the better a player is, the "luckier" he appears. You would notice the same pattern if you forced your theory on to any top player.
And where did r519 stumble in here from?
- There's something called bisexuality. Yes, I do believe Monaco is into women, obviously. But his close relationship with Nadal is still suspicious to me. They look like more than friends. Just my opinion!
Congrats to Rafa for #1. Whether he's gay or not doesn't matter in the end. He's at the very least gay friendly. He comes from the most gay friendly country in the world too. Spain is amazing, trust me, I've been there. Nice weather, beaches, hot men and lots to do and see.
- Title updates!
First Del Potro got revenge over cheater Raonic in Tokyo with a tough, entertaining and high-quality 7-6 (5) 7-5 win.
Then in Beijing, Djokovic won a comfortable 6-3 6-4 over new #1 and #1 ass-picker Nadal.
Finally, Serena stomped everyone's favorite transexual Jankovic 6-2 6-2 to pick up her 10th title of the season.
This week there are some very interesting draws at men's Shanghai Masters event, and ladies' events in Osaka and Linz.
- I'm glad for DelPo.
And good for cute, flat-assed Nole to finally stop the beatings he's been taking from Rafa.
- FINALLY not PT anymore!
I knew Nole would win today. I even made a bet on him. Rafa was very poor. I don't think the faster surface fit Rafa at all.
I don't get the hate for Rafa in here though.. I understand that you don't like his tennis, I don't either, but I still like him as a person. He's nice, humble and cute. And that ass! wow. He might not be as talented as Nole, but he has worked very hard to get where he is today. He's also one of the strongest players mentally. He deserves credit for winning 13 slams, with such a limited game. He's a grinder, a Spartan, who never gives up.
Last but not least, Rafa is atheist/agnostic and very gay friendly. He's also from the most gay friendly country in the world, where 90 % of the population accepts gay people.
- I'm happy for Delpo too. He deserved that title. I've always liked him as a person and as a tennis player. He has a nice game to watch, unlike the pusher Nadal.
- Spain's liberal attitude toward gays follows years of Franco's military dictatorship after the civil war in the 1930s to his death in the 1970s. I visited Spain in 1973, while it was not remotely as bad as Stalin's Russia or Hitler's Germany, you still did not want to be stopped by the military police for any reason.
(I am going by what I read about Russia and Germany; I only visited those countries after Hitler and after communism fell in Russia.)
I would go with Australia as the most gay friendly country in a thread about tennis.
- R527, umm.. I read a report where Spain came out on top as the most gay friendly country in the world. This isn't just what I think. It's a fact. The report is at the link..
- I also knew Nole would win today. The way the roof is configured, the China Open is essentially indoor hardcourt. Rafa is only an above average player on indoor hardcourt. It's his Kryptonite for sure. Too fast for his long wind-up.
Huge Rafa fan here, but I also love Novak.
- Nadal was lucky to reach the final. He should have lost to Fognini in the QF and then got a retirement from Berdych in the SF. Gifted #1!
- R530, Rafa would have been number one soon enough regardless. And Rafa always crushes Berdych. Injury or not. He's 17-3 against him.
- R529, yep. Rafa struggles on indoor hardcourt, and has never won a title this late in the year (also known as indoor season). That says it all really. But he has been especially bad this week. His serve has been non existent, and he has looked very tired. He got what he wanted anyway, the #1 spot, which was his goal. I'm not sure how serious he took this tournament after that. Don't get me wrong, Nole was clearly better than Rafa today and fully deserved to win.
R530, coming back from a set like he did in the QF is an accomplishment in itself. It basically mirrors his entire career. Rafa is clearly not the most talented player on the tour, and his game is not as complete as other top players. He still got far because he's mentally strong, his movement is very good, and he has a talent for grinding out matches and win, even if he's falling behind for a set (or two at slams). That's why they call him a Spartan. He fully deserved to win the QF. If anything, Rafa just took advantage of Fognini playing worse, or it was a combination.. Rafa played better while Fognini started playing worse. Also, ask yourself.. do you really think it was possible for Fognini to keep that level up for very long? He was bound to make mistakes sooner or later anyway.
Exactly, R531. Rafa would have been #1. He could basically have skipped all tournaments this month and still be #1. Don't be mad at Bertdych because of that. It just happened sooner than it would have otherwise. That said, since this is indoor hardcourt, Berdych definitely would have had a shot at defeating Rafa. It would have been a lot closer than what you think.
- Rafa would have been number one anyway because he did not play this part of the season last year, so has no points to defend. Nole did particularly well in the last months of 2012, so has many point to protect.
Nole has nothing to be embarassed about; he's tied with Agassi with 101 weeks at number one & until the ranking come out tomorrow he is one week behind Rafa who is currently 102 weeks at number one.
- Yup, R533. But Rafa's gonna have the #1 for a long time. He's got no points to defend through the AO, and then it's the clay season. He basically wins every tournament or makes the finals in every tournament, year in, year out. He should win the FO as usual. We all assume he will do much better at Wimby and gain tons of points there. Next year's hard court season is the when Nole can make up ground, but I think Rafa will be up by so much, it will take until 2015 for Nole to reclaim the top spot.
- "He [Rafa] could basically have skipped all tournaments this month and still be #1."
That's not really true. If Novak does as well in tournaments as last year in October, he would not lose any points, and maintain a narrow lead against Nadal.
- R534, he will probably keep the #1 for a year or so. Then, if it goes as I predict, Rafa having a not particularly good season, while Nole having a very good season, then Nole will get it back this time next year. No need to worry.
- No Rafa hate here. I love him and his famous ass.
- Nadal is not a sure winner at the French Open, Djoker almost beat him this spring. But, I agree that Rafa is a strong bet to keep the number one ranking for a while, perhaps 12 months.
It's been a very long time since anyone has emerged to challenge the top 4 players (Nadal, Djoker, Fed and Murray), but with Fed fading and Murray's back problems, perhaps someone will emerge. But, I have a strong feeling we will be writing about Novak and Rafa in the same way at least for the next two years.
- [quote]Rafa is clearly not the most talented player on the tour, and his game is not as complete as other top players. He still got far because he's mentally strong, his movement is very good, and he has a talent for grinding out matches and win, even if he's falling behind for a set (or two at slams).
I don't agree at all. Nadal has amazing hands and is a brilliant tactician. You don't win 13 slams being a "grinder." That's just asinine. Novak has a nearly flawless classic game, but there's no magic there, like there is with Nadal (or Federer). Novak is highly skilled but I think of Nadal as more gifted. They're both extremely ambitious.
- Nadal will be #1 until the end of the clay season, when he has to defend start defending all those points. Yes, he usually beats everyone but Djokovic has proven he can take him on clay as well. I don't think Nadal will be #1 for all of 2014.
There's some BS happening in Linz! Kvitova was originally going to play but she withdrew after going deep in both Tokyo and Beijing. Linz then made the draw with Stephens and Ivanovic as the top 2 players. 3 WCs were given to some lower ranked Austrian players. Today, a full 24 hours after the draw has been made, it was announced that Kerber and her team found a loophole in the WTA rulebook which allowed her to enter the tournament. That means 1 of the lower ranked Austrian WCs was FORCED to withdraw from the singles draw and it was given to Kerber. This also meant the draw was remade. The Austrian player was then given a WC into the doubles draw. Why is Kerber doing this? because she's in a 3 person race with Jankovic and Wozniacki for the last YEC spot.
- I think Rafa wins because, by continually picking his ass, he manages to disorient his opponents
- R541, some of his opponents are just mesmerized by his ass. Chiefly, Roger.
- I don't think it's Kerber, R540, I think it's the tournament. She may have told them she was interested in playing, but the tournament was the party to deny the wild card to the other Austrian woman (after it had already been given to her) then fit Kerber into the draw. You're giving Kerber far more power than she has.
- 519 here. 522 I know the concept of bisexuality, but my point is I've lived 5 years in Buenos Aires, and believe it or not in the scene over there people know who is who, and the one with bi rumours it isn't Monaco.
- R543 it certainly was the decision of the tournament and they are at greater fault, but it's still a shitty and selfish thing for a player to do. It's an individual sport and these people aren't there to make friends but it wasn't nice on Kerber's part either.
- I also disagree with the poster who says that Rafa "isn't the most talented" player. That's ridiculous. He has the best forehead in the game, not necessarily for it's flatness (that'd be Delpo) but because that nasty spin and pinpoint accuracy. His backhand is insanely good, I'd say on Novak's is better. His serve is accurate, if underwhelming. His net game is sublime.
I think the fact that he doesn't strike the ball as cleanly as Novak and Fed confuse people. Agassi struck the ball better than any player in history and he isn't ever mentioned as the GOAT. Nadal has variety, much more so than any other top player. He can attack, play defense, pass incredibly well, volley effortlessly. He's so much more than just a "grinder".
- [quote]He has the best forehead in the game
It's certainly not the biggest.
- I may be retired, but I cutta bitch who says I don't have the *highest* forehead in the game.
- 532....fucking Mary.
You're entitled to opinions but Jesus get your facts straight. Rafa won Madrid back when it was played indoors in October instead of Shanghai.
- When Nadal has to play top player after top player and they're in good form, he's fucked. Notice how he never won the YEC.
- R550, it's been well established that Nadal's weakest surface, by miles, is indoor hard court. Guess where the YEC take place?
This would be like having Wimby be played on clay and then complain why Fed and Pete hardly ever won there.
He is the ONLY player who has a winning head to head against ALL the top players. So, your thesis is just dead wrong.
- Vasek Pospisil finally won a match! He played great and it was a nice win over Gasquet. Now if he could only keep this level up, that'd be nice.
- r551—why should indoor hard courts necessarily be his nemesis? His stats are pretty stellar on grass, which, even though it's been slowed down (disgracefully so), is still a whole lot faster than indoor hard. I actually tend to agree with r550—it's more that he has to deal with a concentration of hard-as-nuts, match-perfect top-tier players.
Mind you, a whole year's worth of endless grinding and grunting to get all the other wins in doesn't help, either. He might just be due for another 7-month rest?
- R551 Nadal rarely has had to play 3 top 10 opponents back to back at the slams. Even if he does, he'll get a day's rest in between each match AND the benefit of best of 5 so he can use his fitness and consistency to wear them down. At the final tournament of the year, if he wants to win the title, he'll have to win at least 4 matches (in most cases a player can lose 1 of their 3 round robin matches and still advance to the SF) against top 10 players with just 1 day off during the whole week and in best of 3 sets. Only once has Nadal reached the final of the YEC.
- R554 and others, again, indoor hard is his worst surface. It's by far the fastest surface (it's much faster that Wimby), which is why Fed does so well on it. Every player has a weak surface, this just happens to be Rafa's. And it comes at the end of year, when he's exhausted. I do agree he has a very muscular game that takes more out of him than Fed's or Nole's.
Saying he can't beat three top players in a row is just ridiculous. Again, he's the ONLY one out of the Big 4 who has a winning record against every single player in the Top 20. Please explain how this is possible if he can't beat big time players?
And by the time you reach the Quarters, in any Slam, you generally are playing a Top 15 player, a Top 10 player in the Semis, and Novak, Murray, Rafa or Fed in the Final. So that argument, that he never faces 3 top players in a row is silly.
It's fine if you don't care for Rafa's game, but don't make shit up.
- You must be joking r519. Diego Forlan is known to be gay. And apart from Zaira he hasn't had any serious girlfriend just going around with these "models" which are known to beard for another closeted celebs in Argentina.
- R556 If you look at Nadal's slam draws, only a few of them had him facing 3 top 8 players in the QF, SF and F. On top of that, he gets a day off between each round at a slam and the matches are best of 5. Nadal does better in best of 5 because A) he has time to grind down his opponents and take advantage of his superior fitness B) he has more time to figure them out.
Now at the YEC, yes it's indoors but there's more to it. He HAS to play only top 10 (top 8 if everyone is healthy) players. He'll only get 1 day off during the week and the matches are best of 3 sets. Nadal therefore has less time to figure out someone's game that day AND it's harder to grind someone down unless he can make every game to go like 20 deuces.
The YEC conditions and format prove how reliant Nadal is on fitness, grinding and consistency, as the very best shotmakers who have more talent beat him there.
His grinding style requires that he has time to recover between matches and also that he doesn't have to face 5 straight top 8 players in a row. He's fucked at the YEC.
- I get it, R558. You're a Fed fan.
- Popsicle is hot. I'd hit that, hard.
- Pospisil is hot but he could stand to gain a bit more weight. He and Berdych have very similar features.
Some exciting matches today in Shanghai if any of you have time to watch.
- r558 - Because only the truly great players like Davydenko (2009) have what it takes to win the YEC? Quit reaching.
I'm sure Nadal would like to win one just to say he did, but he or any other player would trade any number of them for one slam title (even the Australian). YECs are more like a big exo unless the #1 ranking is on the line (which it might be this year).
- R562 forget the Nadal part-you're totally wrong about calling the YEC "more like a big exo". That's FAR from true. You have (unless someone is injured) the top 8 players of the year. There are a lot of points and money at stake. On top of that, it's a player's pride. Everyone in the top 8 wants to win the YEC because you have to beat at least 4 quality opponents (usually players can afford 1 loss in the round robin). Of course slams are the most important tournaments but you can get lucky draws at slams. You can't get lucky at the YEC with very low ranked opponents. You clearly don't understand professional tennis if you think the YEC is a big exo. Typical Nadal fan, since he hasn't won it you think it's not important.
- A YEC is a feather in a player's cap & an ego boost no doubt, but it's not why any of them play. While it's a big deal for a player like, say, Raonic, to qualify, you're exaggerating greatly its importance. It does have an inordinate amount of points for the winner relative to its prestige but the money is only significant to players who don't have a lot of endorsement money.
You're also exaggerating the level of competition. There are plenty of shit matches at the YEC. The players are often raggedy by then. No top player is going to risk straining anything to win a YEC match. You clearly don't understand professional tennis if you think winning a YEC is a greater accomplishment than winning a slam. I repeat: Davydenko won it.
As for Nadal's #1, Djokovic still has a great chance to get it back this year. He's defending in Shanghai & at the YEC, but has no points to defend in Paris. Djoker's looking much sharper and is hungrier. He could sweep all 3 tourneys. Who's going to stop him? Murray's out for the rest of the year. Nadal just wants to go fishing.
- The Nadal stan is crazy. What is there to argue about? No one is saying the YEC is on the same level of slams but it's still an important tournament and everyone in the field tries to win. The only time you see a player tanking is if they win their first 2 round robin matches and qualify, they might tank match #3.
Davydenko won the YEC but he was a great indoor player. It's just like some of the 1-time slam winners and finalists-does that mean those slams don't count as much? Again the matches are best of 3, giving more chance for an upset.
Nadal stan stop talking out of your ass.
- Double Bombshell! Declining/slumping/soon-to-be-0-3-punching-bag-at-the-YEC Ferrer gets routined by suspect gay Florian Mayer while Monfils survives a second set choke (he was up a break) to take out Federer.
Now if only Nadal and Djokovic could crash out, the day would be perfect.
Haas back to his retiring ways again, handing Del Potro a walkover.
- 557: Diego Forlan is not gay, are you joking????? That's a rumour that butthurt Zaira fueled when she was dumped. In any case, he is a serial cheater. But he is not on topic here. Like I said, in Buenos Aires, the argentine tennis player with bi rumours it isn't Pico Monaco. And Pico Monaco was in a long term relationship with an actress before Zaira Nara, get your facts in check.
There are a lot of celebrities in Buenos Aires who are gay or bi who are married or with bombshells on their arms and everybody knows that they have a double life, but I never heard anything about Monaco.
The fact that you are here, and pretend to know something about the argentinian scene and the name of the tennis player with real rumours didn't came up in this thread, let me know for sure that all your facts are bullshit.
- Christ, queens. Enough with the tedious Rafa flame war.
- What's Diego Forlan'd skin color?
- Damn, Monfils beat Fed?
How long before Mirka splits, too?
- I meant Diego Forlan's skin color.
- So many upsets today! First Federer, then Berdych and Nadal struggled a bit too.
- You can say Juan Monaco is straight as much as you want, R567. I still find his extremely close relationship with Nadal (who I do think is possibly gay, or at the very least bi), suspicious as hell. Maybe he is straight, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he and Nadal are secretly fuck buddies either.
- Of course Berlocq had not 1, but 2 double faults when he was leading in the tiebreak at 5-2. He also tapped a ball back in that he should have put away with ease. of course. and people say Nadull isn't lucky?
- [quote]How long before Mirka splits, too?
Thank Christ for endorsements.
- r565 - Oh simmer down Fed stan. I just find it ridiculous when idiots can't just admit they don't like him and construct elaborate scenarios that "prove" his lack of talent.
Anyway, in today's match, he looked like he'd been sprayed with a hose and his shorts were almost transparent. He does indeed wear plain old tighty whities and they do indeed ride up. I always thought it was a phantom wedgie he was tugging at, not an actual one. I guess he must like it.
- r576 - Oh simmer down Nadull stan. I just find it ridiculous when idiots can't just admit they're besotted with Nadal and construct elaborate scenarios that "prove" he's brimming with talent and, beyond a doubt, the GOAT.
- I'm total Nadalite. That ssad:
- Isn't McEnroe either tied, or only one slam victory ahead of some of people in tier three.
Why is he rated at #2 in the 2nd tier?
- Del Potro just took down Nadal pretty easy. Djokovic v Del Potro final.
- Djokovic has had trouble with Del Potro in the past. It's not a sure win for Novak. But, it underlines Nadal's problems in the end of year matches.
- Where are all the "Nadal is doping" people now? Shouldn't he have won this if he was doping? Instead he looked tired and defeated, not exactly a good thing for your argument, is it?
- Del Potro is really the fifth of the Big Four. And with Fed on his way out, he's now the fourth. He's a great player. We've been spoiled by the fact Nadal and Novak haven't had any bad days except against each other.
R579, I think if Mac played the Aussie, he'd have a few more. He played a bit before my time, but from all of my older tennis fans, they say he deserves to be a Second Tier great. And he consistently beat Llendl and Conners. Not Borg.
- Well, I hope DelPo wins. He seems very sweet and likeable, even if he does look like a caveman.
- YES. So glad Del Potro roasted the Nadull piggy. He served well and was really hitting through his groundstrokes.
It's pathetic how Nadull didn't lose on hardcourts until last week against Djokovic. Highlights of Nadull's roasting:
- Fed and Annacone have parted ways.
Maybe Fed should hire Jimbo, now that Shazza sent him packing.
- Federer and Connors kind of look alike. It's comical. Federer is just better looking and darker but their features are similar.
- R583: I did see McEnroe play and agree that he was something very special. But, once you start speculating on what might have happened that can apply to other players.
Becker was a great serve and volley player, one of the best. Did he start out in grand slams too young and therefore retire way before he would have otherwise? He should have at least two more slams. Also, he went out in the first round in far too many slams. Why didn't he have better coaching.
But, I do agree about McEnroe, but that should not take away from the players who have won the Australian Open.
- R582, I'm not saying Nadal does and I'm not saying Nadal doesn't take PEDs, but PED use and losses are NOT incompatible. Odesnik barely won matches, let alone tournies, and there are no doubts about his using.
- Novak did it again in China. Del Potro fought fought hard, but was constantly in trouble on his serve in the 3rd set. Novak deserved the win.
- I love Nole and Delpo's friendship...they are very sweet to and supportive of each other.
- Sweet trophy ceremony:
- And at the net:
- And what you saw today is exactly why Djokovic has an image problem. Pretty disgusting if you ask me.
- "And what you saw today is exactly why Djokovic has an image problem. Pretty disgusting if you ask me."
I watched the entire match and the awards early this morning U.S. time. What exactly do you mean?
There was nothing even remotely disgusting.
- LOOKS like we're going to need a new THREAD, peeps, and lets hope the new one has some NUDES of all those luscious LADS of tennis. Oh, and the LADIES, too. Not that I would PEEK at those pictures, since I'm a STRAIGHT gal, through and through, but I just like my LESBIAN pals to get some enjoyment of the best BREASTS and BUTTOCKS of the women's tour. But you folks know me, I'm all about the PEEN.
- I'm with you Pammy, but I'm all about the ASS!
- Hope the Nadal hating cunts get a new life, SOON!
- r582 Nadal and his team are not stupid enough to dope constantly. He's doped for the Slams.
Why do you think he goes from injured, to almost hyper at the French and US Open, to listless when he's off the dope?
They call it cycling. He's on a down cycle. One day this will all come out.
- I love Pamela Howard Shriver.