All Threads by Date
Gay writer explains why he hates Jennifer Lawrence
Jumping Off the Jennifer Lawrence Bandwagon
By Tyler Coates
People don’t ask me often why I’m not on the Jennifer Lawrence bandwagon. Given my hyperbolic instinct to use “hate” carelessly, one friend of mine explained to an acquaintance that I “just like to hate things.” Being someone who writes online, of course, means that nonsensically disliking elements of pop culture is a given — providing a contrarian take on what is deemed “too popular” is, after all, a pretty clever click-baiting tactic. (Go ahead and count how many writers, either in headlines or just on Twitter, have timed their thoughts on how overrated Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby is to the release of a sure-to-be-polarizing big-budget adaptation of the classic novel.) So let me assure you that what I’m about to say isn’t a cheap way to troll an audience. But I’m afraid I just don’t care for Jennifer Lawrence.
Now, I don’t think she’s a bad actress. Winter’s Bone is a fantastic film, and Lawrence gives an incredibly nuanced and realistic performance. Even though I didn’t completely love The Hunger Games when I read it, I enjoyed the film version, and Lawrence’s natural style brought a necessary weight to a movie that could have otherwise derailed, given the heavy-handed, blockbuster elements of the narrative. I will confess, however, that I hated Silver Linings Playbook so much that I left halfway through the film, and snickered when I heard someone mutter, “What?!” as I made my way back up the aisle.
What bugs me about Jennifer Lawrence — or, more specifically, the cult of personality that surrounds Jennifer Lawrence — is the notion that she’s just an everyday, relatable girl who found herself in the acting biz, a narrative perpetuated by the February cover story in Vanity Fair. In a piece that, oddly, included almost as much revealing information about its author as its subject (a tactic that puts both on equal footing), Lawrence confides that she has the same kinds of neuroses as anybody else — the anxiety, for instance, that comes with being the object of attention. (I always find it odd when actors admit this, as if they didn’t choose a profession that requires being the center of attention.) She revealed how excited she was to meet Daniel Radcliffe at a talk show taping. And she expressed her love for food. It’s a narrative that promotes the idea that Lawrence is a refreshing version of a starlet, who’s excited to be at the party because she doesn’t think she belongs.
Lawrence was almost universally lauded when she referred to acting as “stupid” in the same profile. “Everybody’s like, ‘How can you remain with a level head?’” she said. “And I’m like, ‘Why would I ever get cocky? I’m not saving anybody’s life. There are doctors who save lives and firemen who run into burning buildings. I’m making movies. It’s stupid.’” Sure, it’s not on the same level as being a surgeon, but acting is still a profession that garners a lot of fame and money. Being an office clerk or working in a factory or writing books or cooking hamburgers at a fast food joint are, to be honest, as noble as acting. It’s the attitude behind that sort of statement, and especially the back-patting that followed it, that bugs me. If she thinks acting is stupid, she shouldn’t do it. If she gets fulfillment — or even just enjoyment — out of it, especially considering how many people study to act and struggle to make a career out of it, it’s meaningful. There’s a whiff of ingratitude about Lawrence that continues to be rewarded because most see statements like this as “honest” or “irreverent.”
Perhaps I don’t dislike Jennifer Lawrence so much as I dislike.....
- I kind of agree w him....
- This is what happens when we tell stupid bitches who have nothing to say here to "get a blog". Some of them do.
- Weird. Nit-picking and weird.
Does the anti-Jennifer Lawrence troll post every day?
- But she's Bradley's faghag... we have to support Jennifer and her efforts to find Bradley a man.
- Look. Tyler Coates took his anti Jennifer Lawrence posts on Datalounge and turned them into a little column! Isn't that cute? Awwwww
- This dude is leaving out parts of the article. She said that she didn't expect the fame to bring out the crazies like it has. She said that now she even regrets her behavior to famous people when she herself was not.
She's not acting all pious like AnnE Hathaway and it is refreshing. I thought it was funny that AnnE and Jennifer won in the same year because they are both young and couldn't be more different. Tyler Coates is a redheaded dolt!
- We throw around the word 'hate' so casually now. Shouldn't we reserve it for something worthwhile? I'm ambivalent about Jennifer Lawrence, and I've see many movies that I disliked, but what I actually HATE are racist, sexist, homophobic assholes. I hate rapists, and child molesters and serial killers; I don't give a fuck about what any flavor-of-the-month celebrity has to say about anything. Who cares?!
- I'm sure he meant Lopez.
- I don't like her either!
- [italic]Hatred for Jennifer Lawrence?![/italic]
Yeah ... that's really important.
- Miss, with all due respect I have my own problems.
- I can see the author's point, especially in the final paragraph. And I actually appreciate her more now, as a grifter, if not an actress.
- This is stupid. You are not making sense at all. Why don't you just admit that you are jealous and envious? Get a life.
- I love R7.
- That's right, R7.
And the other issue here is over-analysis by Coates. The conclusions drawn are not aligned with the "evidence" he presents. Personally, I don't like Lawrence on sight, and I thought she was wonderful in AMERICAN HUSTLE.
So? I don't like Julia Roberts on sight - dislike her, really, as an image based on a flash-and-blood person - and have not enjoyed her performance in any movie in which I've tried to give her a shot. And some actors, no matter how good they are, are beyond my wanting to even bother with. I will never watch Mel Gibson in anything, whether already done or coming up in his dotage. Separating the complexities of others' talent from our biases and knowledge is complicated.
But the thing he complains about with Lawrence actually is a time-honored reflex, truth and/or PR game among those in the acting profession. And I'll bet Coates does not avoid IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT because Clark Gable vociferously put-down the acting profession over the entire course of his career.
- Geez, even the other women on the red carpet smiled and laughed when Lawrence photo-bombed Parker. Stop taking everything so seriously.
- She recently admitted that even she is sick of her. She barfs at parties and drinks too much. Where is the talent, in her boobs?
- She so transparent.
- Stopped reading after the "loves to hate" part. Scanned another paragraph. Self-aggrandizing, cutesy, pretentious queen with a wide variety of purses generated by her computer as she types her witty columns.
- Gay writer hates woman = how unique
- I wonder if its hard for Jennifer to wash off that blue body paint, take a hard look in the trailer mirror, and then see a picture of her Oscar on her phone. Sad.
- [quote]Self-aggrandizing, cutesy, pretentious queen
Is there any other kind?
- Well, I still don't have any problem with Jennifer Lawrence, but now I hate Tyler Coates.
- She is not likable indeed, but for a fuck or two she would be fine.
She is very provocative with her boobs and she is kind of cheap. So yes, i would have SEX with her but i wouldn't want to date her.
- the writer is an idiot.
I don't care for Jennifer Lawrence but I like her comment that she understands being in hollyweird isn't important like, for example, a doctor is.
The author of this piece wants her to be more arrogant?
- I don't think that she ever felt anything special for the men she has dated, so far at least that doesn't seem so on her face. She seems cold and sarcastic, most of the time.
- Anyone who continually uses "like" as "I'm like" or "I was, like, ....." deserves any shit they get.
- I like Jennifer Lawrence.
Not because I really get anything out of her movies, or find her interesting, or believe anything that she says, but because:
a) The Fappening. Hundreds of pics, still all over the internet, and she's still working!
b) Whoever this girl is, she's doing what she wants. She's like a dude. Good for her.
- I can't get her awful singing on letterman out of my head!
- Jennifer Lawrence is an idiot. She acts like one, talks like one. She drunkenly stumbles on the red carpet. She fell down on her way to accept her undeserved Oscar. She flips the bird at photographers and has been photographed doing it. She stupidly took naked pictures of herself on an I-Cloud and after they naturally got hacked she whined about how it was a "sexual assault" on her. Yes, I'm sure a rape victim who's had a guy ram his cock up her ass would sympathize with poor little abused Jennifer. In effect, she is a total dipshit. But that's all part of her "charm!" It's considered refreshing to hear a young Hollywood star with the world at her feet talk about shitting in her pants and how she wants a boyfriend who farts unashamedly in her presence. THIS is what is considered "likeable?" I don't the appeal, myself.
- [quote] I “just like to hate things.”
If DL ever needs a new motto I say we use this.
- Dear Tyler,
there's a reason why people can't stand pasty gingers like you. Fuck off when we flush, you odious shit.
- For pity's sake have some sympathy for J-Law. She took a full load of cum in her mouth from Harvey Weinstein to win that Oscar. If not the Oscar she deserves some kind of award for her exemplary cockgobbling/cum guzzling skills.
- "She stupidly took naked pictures of herself on an I-Cloud"
First of all, she didn't take pictures of herself on an I-Cloud.
Secondly, she's in her early 20s, and a major star. She's kind of lacking in the looks department, and had no connections. And she's from Kentucky!
She's a hustler. I'm sure the last thing on her mind is what people though of her when she did ____.
- That he cares enough to write a whole blog post is sort of sad.
- tl; dr; twt.
He felt the need to explain?
- The writer is an idiot.
R22 is a bigot.
- Funny that this article was written two years ago and since then, Jennifer Lawrence has pretty much proven every point the writer made.
She does need to go the fuck away.
- "You're calling someone else an idiot?"
Yeah. Jennifer Lawrence and you.
- I don't hate her but I don't think she is going to have a long career.
- Finally saw Winter's Bone. What an excellent film. Great performances all around. Lawrence was very good as was Hawkes but I can't remember a flawed performance from anyone.
- Yes, Winter's Bone was really good
- My answer is shorter: mediocre talent who fakes that America's Sweetheart shit non stop. Oopsy, I fell down de stairs, tee hee.