All Threads by Date
Maria Sharapova Rips Serena Williams Over Rape Comments (Video)
Serena on the teen girl who survived rape by two high school football players in Steubenville, Ohio in Rolling Stone:
[quote]“I’m not blaming the girl, but if you’re a 16-year-old and you’re drunk like that, your parents should teach you: Don’t take drinks from other people. She’s 16, why was she that drunk where she doesn’t remember? It could have been much worse. She’s lucky. Obviously, I don’t know, maybe she wasn’t a virgin, but she shouldn’t have put herself in that position, unless they slipped her something, then that’s different.”
LONDON — Maria Sharapova took quite a shot at Serena Williams – and it was nowhere near a tennis court.
At her pre-Wimbledon news conference Saturday, Sharapova was asked about a recent Rolling Stone article where the author surmised that critical comments directed at an unnamed player by Williams were referring to Sharapova.
"At the end of the day, we have a tremendous amount of respect for what we do on the court. I just think she should be talking about her accomplishments, her achievements, rather than everything else that's just getting attention and controversy," Sharapova said.
"If she wants to talk about something personal, maybe she should talk about her relationship and her boyfriend that was married and is getting a divorce and has kids," Sharapova continued. "Talk about other things, but not draw attention to other things. She has so much in her life, many positives, and I think that's what it should be about."
Williams has been linked to coach Patrick Mouratoglou, but neither has confirmed their relationship extends beyond the court. When Mouratoglou was asked about the topic at the French Open this month, he smiled and replied: "Sorry. I don't understand the question."
According to the Rolling Stone story, posted online Tuesday, Williams spoke about what the reporter described as "a top-five player who is now in love."
Williams is quoted as saying: "She begins every interview with `I'm so happy. I'm so lucky' – it's so boring. She's still not going to be invited to the cool parties. And, hey, if she wants to be with the guy with a black heart, go for it."
That is followed by these words in parentheses from the author of the piece, Stephen Rodrick: "An educated guess is she's talking about Sharapova, who is now dating Grigor Dimitrov, one of Serena's rumored exes."
Sharapova beat Williams in the 2004 Wimbledon final. But Williams has won their past 13 matches in a row, including in the French Open final two weeks ago.
At Wimbledon, where play begins Monday, Williams is the defending champion and seeded No. 1. Sharapova is seeded No. 3. They only could face each other in the final.
Williams is scheduled to hold a pre-tournament news conference at Wimbledon on Sunday.
The Rolling Stone article, which was about 4,000 words, drew widespread attention mostly for a one-paragraph reference to the Steubenville rape case. Williams is quoted as saying the teenage victim "shouldn't have put herself in that position."
Two players from the Steubenville, Ohio, high school football team were convicted in March of raping a drunken 16-year-old girl; one of the boys was ordered to serve an additional year for photographing the girl naked. The case gained widespread attention in part because of the callousness with which other students used social media to gossip about it.
A day after the story was posted, Williams issued a statement in which she said she was "reaching out to the girl's family to let her know that I am deeply sorry for what was written."
Williams' statement continued: "What was written – what I supposedly said – is insensitive and hurtful, and I by no means would say or insinuate that she was at all to blame."
Said Sharapova on Saturday: "I was definitely sad to hear what she had to say about the whole case."
- The Williams sisters are Compton trash. No matter how much money you have or how many Wimbledon trophies you have, that kind of trash can never be taken out.
- I want to see these two in the Wimby final. This is getting good! Maria clearly cares little for Serena and Vika. They likely feel the same way.
- Shazza usually comments in PR-speak. Hard to believe she actually said:
[quote]"If she wants to talk about something personal, maybe she should talk about her relationship and her boyfriend that was married and is getting a divorce and has kids," Sharapova continued.
Haha! Now if only Serena will drop some shit on Shazza. Though since she also claimed to date Dimitrov, I can't see her going there.
Maybe this is all a Nike-induced faux controversy. Shazza sticks to the script as much as Nadal does. I don't believe she'd ever go so offline.
- The Williams sisters are the best thing that has happened to Women's Professional Tennis (especially for the USA) since the Chris Everett era - amazing Athletes and real people - Of course she was dead wrong if she made that comment - but the Number One Player in the World at age 31 - is hardly trash - anyone with even a semblance of appreciation for the world of Professional Tennis would know that - I can't wait for Wimbledon!! Go Serena!!
- Girls! Girls! You're both bitches!
- Clearly, r1 is a racist troll. You can count on the boring little bastard to show up at every Williams sisters post.
About the only place that Maria can rip Serena is in the papers. She's doesn't have a prayer on the court.
- What does being an incredible athlete have to do with whether or not someone's trash? I don't have an opinion on Serena either way, but there's no logic in what you say. Plenty of athletes have trashy personal lives.
I don't think Serena is trashy, just massively egotistical and fairly immature and dumb. No worse than lots of other rich, famous professional athletes with enabling entourages.
- R4 you mean the Evert-Navratilova era.
Martina dominated tennis, not Evert. But they did have an exciting rivalry.
- Political correctness elevates peoples' feelings over truth. While the rapists are more culpable and objectionable than the drunk underage victim, the victim made a very bad choice, and as such, parents and other concerned citizens should point out how she made unwise decisions. Yes, the largest focus should be on the intentional, evil actions of the raptists, but the foolishness of the girl should not be ignored either.
- I guess it depends on your definition of Trash R7 - R1 didn't define it - except by saying that she was from Compton - How do you define it -
You don't have an opinion on Serena except that you "don't think Serena is trashy, just massively egotistical and fairly immature and dumb. No worse than lots of other rich, famous professional athletes with enabling entourages."
I don't have a definition for "trashy people" as I don't think any person is "trash" R1 as usual was successful in eliciting a reaction.
- R9 the ONLY person responsible for a rape is the rapist. The victim is not responsible for someone else's actions and the constant victim blaming in all aspects of the media is sickening.
If you rape someone you are the one responsible for your actions, no-one else. It is possible to see a drunk person without raping them, but if you decide to rape then that is a decision you have made and no-one else.
Rapists are rapists, not poor deluded victims who were forced at gunpoint to violate another human being. Society needs to stop making excuses for rape, stop defending the indefensible.
- Jealous much, R2?
- R9, the girl was slipped a roofie. The whole thing was premeditated.
You can't expect a drunk and drugged 16 yo girl to protect herself from a mob of rapists.
It's not like they told her that they were going to drug her, rape her, drag her all over the place, and piss on her.
She was a child. Not a cop.
- I eat shit.
- Whoops that was me! I EAT SHIT!
- r10 - Yeah, you're right I did kinda trash her. But that doesn't mean I think she's trash. I like her as a tennis personality and talent, even if I don't admire her behavior sometimes.
It's too bad Maria & Serena aren't a good rivalry on court.
- My comment was actually directed at R1, not R2.
I'm certainly not a Serena hater, but, I wish athletes, actors, etc. would remember to stay away from controversial topics when asked their opinions about such matters. Most of them always stick their feet in their mouths. I don't agree that Serena is dumb. Both Serena & Venus have continued to advance their educations while still playing tennis. I do, however, feel Serena has a big ego, but, then again, many people have massive egos.
I'm hoping Serena can win Wimbledon for herself and the US.
- Don't lump Venus in with her sister. She is a class act.
- I am black,I am also a life-long tennis fan. I always found the Williams sisters to be trashy. I did have an affection for their outfits and hiatus from tennis for Nail Tech school etc only to comeback and kick ass on-court. Serena's Stuebenville comments have changed my mind. Serena is just a skank who won the genetic lottery.
- Serena Williams was named Time Magazines Person of the year in 2010 for her and her sisters contributions to charity, especially in Africa. R19 - You are the only person who has brought up race in this thread - She may not be the sweet Tennis princess that we fondly remember from years gone by but at 31, she is the number 1 female player in the world - genetics alone don't get you there - Your affection for their outfits etc. belies your affinity for the sport of tennis - Her performance at the French Open was nothing short of amazing.
- If you're truly black R19, you dear black thing are a disgrace to your black people. How dear you join the white enemy to bring down one of your own.
I suppose you think Garcia's cheap shot at Tiger Woods was also right.
There's a reason why active players on the wta tour have a venemous dislike of sharapova.
- Williams so deserved it.
Serena talking about a black heart, yet did she break up a marriage.... not giving a shit about the wife and 2 kids?
- Serena is the one who took the first personal cheap shot.
- Serena Williams was named Time Magazine's Person of the Year in 2010?
Um... I googled it but I find evidence to back up that claim, R20. Do you have a link?
The Williams sisters have always been trashy, especially Serena. It's not their fault. Everyone knows it's that awful father of theirs.
- Did anyone actually read what Serena said about the girl who was raped ? She basically said she deserved it unless she was a virgin there is no defense for that. I don't care if she writes checks to Africa.
She may be a beautiful player on-court but I don't think she is any better that racist f-k Leyton Hewitt or any other tennis player.
I only brought up my race because the other poster thather trashy was roasted
- Serena took the first cheap shot. I bet she regrets that interview now.
That said, Screampova has been in a simmering rage over the repeated ass-whippings Serena has delivered her time after time after time after time after time...
If they meet again this year, I will be watching. I suspect Serena will be even more motivated to dominate her.
- R25, wow, i didn't know she said that. What a fucking whore she is to break up a family, who the fuck does she think she is to pass judgement on that gal who was raped?
How can any man find her attractive? She's so manly! I know A-rod likes that body type but he likes them to at least look feminine.
- Why is Williams so jealous of Sharapova? I don't get it!
- R25, I'll repeat what I said earlier, if you are black please go bleach your ass until you look like Michael Jackson. Did you hear Serena say that garbage you wrote, no. You are what real Black People call the black kkk. That's why real black people avoid black things like you in real life.
Silly black thing joining the white kkk to destroy one of your own, idiot.
- Serena has no class, is a sore loser and winner and juices, to boot.
- In May this is what Sloane Stephens said about Williams -
"People should know. They think she's so friendly and she's so this and she's so that--- no, that's not reality."
- R28, Sharapova gets a lot more money, works harder, more positive press, adulation for being slim, blonde and model-like.
But Sharapova would probably love to have Serena's titles, so it's apples and oranges.
- I wish people would quit grouping together Venus and Serena. Venus is a class act. Serena is not.
- something is wrong with my google. No porn at all comes up when I search ... the usual key words... or even studio names. Nothing at all. It is like someone completely blockeed all porn on the net. anyone else notice this?
- It looks like the backlash against Serena has finally begun.
- In that article Sharapova sounds like a bitch and a jealous one at that. She couldn't wait to attack Serena because she can't beat her on the court. Just because Sharapova is skinny & lily white does not make her superior to anyone except to the racist troll that can't stand the fact that a black player dominates in a white person's sport.
And from what I can tell from the Rolling Stones interview, Serena was not making some pronouncement but the television happened to be on during her interview and she just made an off the cuff comment. In retrospect was probably thoughtless. The kind people make and then reevaluate at a later time when they get more info.
Except in Serena's case, the interviewer decided to include it as part of his story. The writer was looking for controversy to sell and he was right.
- Serena is - by far - the more successful female tennis player. Sharapova is - by far - the more popular female tennis player.
Until Martina Navratalova truly got her act together, Chris Evert could (and did) beat her. They had a true tennis rivalry, at least for a time. I don't think Sharapova's beaten Williams in about ten years so it's not actually a tennis rivalry (if it ever was).
Serena, a tragic fashion wannabe, is probably irked by Sharapova's reputation as a beauty and by the attention she receives in magazines and on red-carpets. Maxim readers and fashionistas are not waxing rhapsodic over Serena's gigantic haunches and questionable taste level.
At the same time, Serena and her giant haunches will continue to annihilate Sharapova every time they meet on the court.
- Yep, r37. And as much as the media likes to make Sharapova into "one of the greatest players to ever play", she will always be at best, second best to Serena on the court, LOL. Cracks me up,
- What I can't figure out is who are these guys that supposedly dated both women as they are certainly different physical types.
It seems that Sharapova is currently dating one of Serena's ex, Dimitri. The rumors are that Serena dumped Dimitri for her coach. And the married coach Serena is now dating, was maybe someone that Maria once had her eye on.
- correction: Serena's ex is Grigor Dimitrov (not Dimitri)
- Hate both of them. But yeah Serena has no business slut shaming anybody while she is riding a married man's cock.
- I guess that was point of Maria's comment, R41. Serena is no angel, yet she's slut shaming a rape victim. Serena has no business commenting in public on this case. Both are spoiled, rich assholes...annoying people.
- But getting back to the story, it's one of the few interesting ones to come about in awhile.
- Dimitrov - an ambitious guy with major gay-face, coincidentally sponsored by Nike like Serena & Sharapova - who "dated" Serena briefly and is now Sharapova's first romantic interest since her broken engagement a year or so ago; cue awkward "candid" photos of them giggling
- a reporter allegedly overhears some completely fake-sounding convo where Serena is dishing to Venus, supposedly about Maria & Dimitrov
- Maria, who generally NEVER admits to giving any fucks about other players, not only says she read the article on Serena, but reacts with uncharacteristically personal remarks about her
- Serena's married coach whom Maria was referring to, is Dimitrov's former coach
Eh, I have no idea what's going on, but something just isn't right here.
- Yes, R31, and Stephens is a rich bitch like the daughter of BET's founder, used to black people like the Williamses being either subservient and cringing, or invisible. So what?
Besides, Sloane is 19. She should win a few GS tournaments before she goes around trashing the greatest player in women's tennis over the last decade. She could easily end up just another rich girl wannabe.
Tennis and golf players are such hothouse pussies.
- Williams apologized in a statement released through her agent Wednesday.
"I am currently reaching out to the girl's family to let her know that I am deeply sorry for what was written in the Rolling Stone article," the statement said. "What was written — what I supposedly said — is insensitive and hurtful, and I by no means would say or insinuate that she was at all to blame."
- The "what I supposedly said" makes me gag. The journalist says he has it on tape and I believe him.
She has no grace.
- Aren't there three threads on this topic on DL? Who knew Serena Williams was so relevant to the gay community?
- Serena Williams is just a steroid abusing street thug from Compton. Someone should take her quote on the rape victim and say something similar about Serena's sister - the one who got killed - being responsible for her own death by hanging around an urban ghetto late at night.
Serena and her father are what they have always been. Low-rent, ghetto, uncouth vermin.
- I sense you're holding something back R48. Try opening up a little. It would probably feel good to get it off your chest.
- [quote]I'm hoping Serena can win Wimbledon for herself and the US.
How exactly does the US "win" when Serena wins? Sports fans are strange. They represent themselves and only themselves. It's about their own personal glory and ego. Maria Sharapova lives and trained in the US yet she still represents Russia. How does Russia benefit from her win?
- It's called patriotism, R50?
- Maria is just mad that Serena can have such a typically masculine looking physique, and still not have anyone think she's a lesbian
- Funny, R52.. I laughed. Serena just doesn't really ping though, whether in terms of lifestyle or mannerisms.. it's more than just having a masculine physique.
- Really, the only thing masculine about Serena's physique are her pipes and shoulders, though Maria's got linebacker shoulders herself.
And if Serena had swanned around with a special friend like Maria did with Camilla Bell back in the day, yes there would be lesbian rumours r52.
But who cares about that? I really want to know what's really prompting this public messiness. I want conspiracy theories, dammit.
[quote]at 31, she is the number 1 female player in the world - genetics alone don't get you there
You're right, but there's another thread where they're debating Serena Williams and PEDs. This one's dedicated to Sharapova's maladroit snipe at SW for using language usually relegated to potboilers and bodice rippers ("the man with the black heart").
- Maria is pissed off because Serena has bigger biceps than her boyfriend, yet Serena doesn't have to beard
- [quote]Maria is just mad that Serena can have such a typically masculine looking physique, and still not have anyone think she's a lesbian
Most people thinks Serena is a steroid abusing tranny. That's worse than being thought of as a lesbian.
- Serena Williams winning a tennis trophy is your idea of "patriotism?" r51?
I always thought technological and scientific innovations was what made most Americans proud to be American.
- my favorite is when Serena beats her chest and picks lice out of her sister's hair.
- huh, r58? science and technology are not the only areas people are patriotic in.. and in fact, they're definitely not the first things i think of. i think of sports, war, cultural stuff.
- The "street thug from Compton" racist has shown up with her tired schtick on every thread referencing Serena Williams for years.
We get it. You're a vile, subhuman, basement dwelling cunt r48. Now begone, before someone drops a house on you.
- Another slam so you know its that time for the anual Serena bashing to begin. You know the usual racist are coming out in full force to call Serena every degrading name in the book. Steroid abuser, tranny, gorilla, primate, monkey,ugly,ghetto trash, and welfare queen. You name it. White homosexuals only care about themselves and are no different from the right wingers they complain about. Datalounge is basically a cattier version of Storm Front
- Maria Sharapova hasn't beaten Serena in almost a decade.
Maria? You in danger, girl. Serena will stamp on you, if you even make the final, that is.
- Speak for yourself, r62, not your version of an anonymous board.
- In R61 and R62's defense, he/she/it probably grew up with a herd of feral black women. So it's only natural that this creature thinks Serena is some kind of role model.
- I feel sorry for the black people here who actually pay $18 to support this site.
- Maria can't defeat Serena on the tennis court, so she's attempt to defeat her in the press, to psyche her out before Wimbledon.
It won't work
- [quote]Serena is - by far - the more successful female tennis player. Sharapova is - by far - the more popular female tennis player.
I think Serena is far more famous, domestically and worldwide, than Sharapova. So how is that more popular?
- Maria should shut her big old labia loving trap. I wonder if Serena should retort by exposing Maria Cuntapova's lesbian love life? Cuntapova would be crying for days as her precious endorsements would be threatened. In essence, Cuntapova has opened herself up for personal attacks now. What an absolutely clueless dolt she is. No matter she's still Serena's bitch, Serena owns her. All that talk from Cuntapova's idiotic mouth will not give her a win on the tennis court.
- How the fuck did a thread about rape victim blaming degenerate into a racist name calling thread?
It's not so much fun here anymore.
- R68, i don't think so.. i think they're probably both well-known. Maybe Serena is more well-known in America. But Sharapova's endorsements and the money she makes clearly shows that she's more popular and marketable.
- Some people, no matter how much money they have (Kim Kardashian, Serena Williams) will always be trash. Others are not trash, no matter how much money they have (Venus Williams). It hasn't to do with race but rather individual characteristics.
- No, r71. Serena William's is far more famous than Maria Sharapova. Whether it's name recognition by the general public or the much more reliable google hits.
Serena is favored by fashion magazines and marketing industry because she's tall, blonde and white. That's it. Same reason Anna Kournikova earned so much money as an alleged tennis player without winning a single tournament.
- yeah but the point that the OP was making was that Sharapova is more popular. I don't think Serena is actually very popular. Hell, just look at her rape comments.
- Maria has a more marketable look than the Williams sisters, she's blonde ,haired blue eyed and seen as more beautiful. No matter what strides African Americans have made in this country,that white beauty syndrome still survives
BTW Maria wouldn't be so popular or have the endorsements she has had if her Sapphic ways are exposed. So like Gwennie, Julia and all the Hollywood phonies, Sharpie is in good company. She's another phony in a sea of many.
- I meant that Maria is: blond haired, blue eyes and seen as more beautiful.
Ironically Maria's face looks hairy in some HD photographs. Someone needs to seriously tweeze her face.....
- Ha! Go Maria.
- Girls neither one of you are that pretty.
- Has anyone seen Venus and Serena? It's pretty good, a tad long. Whoever is saying Venus is a class act, it's true, she seems like sweetheart. Serena on the other hand seems immature, and unaccountable. She blames her behaviors on different personalities, which I know was kind of a joke, even her Mom mentioned Takwanda who appeared during the Clijsters match in 2009. She's the naughty one. She is definitely an egomanianc. I still kind of like her, based on her success and the fact she's American but you can tell she was the baby of the family.
I still can't stand Sharapova.
- Her different personalities are simply the steroid usage. All of Serena's wins need an asterisk by them.
- See!? 10% of conflict is due to difference in opinion and 90% is due to tone of voice. Speak mindfully and lovingly.
- R21 - Are you suggesting that blacks support rape, in general? Because your attacks on R19 sure sound like it.
[quote] [R19], you dear black thing are a disgrace to your black people. How dear you join the white enemy to bring down one of your own.
Rape victims are the enemy now? Oh, dear.
- What happened to Venus? She broke out and hand success before Serena, didn't she?
- Serena just did a press conference and apologized to Pova for her comments. I guess Maria put Serena in her place.
You Don't Mess With Russian's
- If Serena stepped up and apologized, then she is the better person of the two
- Wow. And we were talking about who is classier? Well, Russians are rude and boorish. Sharapova behaves like Rich Russian Lady.
- Team Sharapova on this one.
What Serena said was hurtfull and stupid. She has no grace whatsoever. And no, not every negative comment about someone who is black is racism. It has nothing to do with her color. It has with her actions.
- Make no mistake, this was on advice from her PR people, Serena hasn't let this go by a long shot. As always with this ruskie bitch, she'll do her talking on court.
- serena, venus, the mother, the father, ALL ARE GARBAGE! and I am black
- And you're an idiot, r89. They are not garbage. Serena and Venus are 2 of the greatest tennis players ever, and at the end of her career, Serena will likely be regarded the best ever (that according to Chris Everett).
So, r89, what have you done with your life? How do you, and the long list of peckerwood racists who posted ahead of you, stack up against your peers? Perhaps the garbage you smell is your stinking life.
- Well. Serena is black, therefore absolved of all wrong doing including racist comments, sexist statements and being a complete piece of human waste.
It's the white girl's fault anyway.
- serena sleeps white, she can handle white racism, lol. let whites beat them down!
- Graf will be regarded as the best ever unless Serena wins at least six more titles - and isn't publicly outed as a steroid abuser.
- Its amazing how many trolls show up and post to start a flame war. Its best to ignore folks like r89 and others who are clearly miserable in their lives.
I hope to see a Serena and Maria final at Wimby this year. Serena will go at Maria big time!
- By the time she was 19, Sharapova had had her panties stained by Adam Levine, Andy Roddick, and Cristiano Ronaldo. She gets round like a $5 bottle of vino on skid row. Just another high-price low class piece of ass.
- R86 Russians are rude and boorish but Sharpie grew up in the US.She's been here since she was a kid. She's almost a Russian in name only. That being said she comes across as a rude,boorish and clueless cunt! I wonder if Serena will comment on Sharpie's lesbionics? That would put Ms in her place.
- Every time I see Serena I'm reminded of this line from (I think) "Sex and the City": "Chicks with dicks. Boobs on top, balls down below".
- lol at r96 ask Kelly Rowland about how "straight" Serena is
- R89,what right do you have to call people you don't even know garbage? Serena and Richard have said things in the past but how do you justify insulting Venus and the mother who have always been quiet and gracious? The mother has never said anything or done anything but support her daughters all of these years. You hardly hear about Richard these days because he doesn't bother to come out to these matches anymore. R89 is just a self loathing negro.
- no r99 the Williams FAMILY are prime examples of self hating ghetto negroes! ALL OF THEM!
- They're both idiots. Most pro athletes are dumb.
- I'm amazed at how practically all discussions on this site devolve into race-baiting nowadays.
- What's the story about Serena and Kelly Rowland r98?
- Serena tried to force herself on Kelly Rowland but it wasn't rape rape.
- r1 Don't lump in Venus with Serena. Venus didn't make the comment.
- Venus has klass, Serena is krass.
- Yep, r102. Very telling.
- I dont watch/follow tennis but is Venus retired? You never hear about her anymore.
- Another insincere apology from Serena, this one for Maria:
"I made it a point to reach out to Maria, as well, because she was inadvertently brought into the situation by assumptions made by the reporter. I said, ‘Look, I want to personally apologize to you if you are offended by being brought into my situation. I want to take this moment to just pour myself, be open, say I’m very sorry for this whole situation."
Assumptions made by the reporter.
If you are offended.
- R108, Venus has some kind of illness that causes her energy to be frequently depleted. She's trying to play through it, but her results have been awful the past year. I think she has a sprained ankle or something and won't be at Wimbledon.
- R103 They were fucking.Serena broke up Kelly's engagement. I wonder whose engagement Sharpie the Harpie broke up? She made Camilla Belle run into the arms of closet queen Joe Jonas after they were spotted together everywhere.
- Serena is clearly pissed at the reporter for how they framed her comments and how they breached what she considered private moments.
Despite that, she has made public apologies to everyone involved. So sorry she isn't willing to kiss your feet, r109. For most people, she apologies to the people and the public apology is enough.
You're going to have to find other reasons to hate her and her success. Meanwhile, she will keep on winning, fairly and squarely.
- R98 I've been talking about Kelly and Serena for awhile now, where how you been deary? I don't think Serena gives a shit. Sharpie on the other hand is deathly afraid of losing her endorsements. Her bearding arrangements have been laughable.Now who is Sharpie banging? The bedpost!?!
- Wasn't Sharpie allegedly banging her daddy at one point, according to the rumor mill?
- No. He was not nice to her and was controlling but no daddy banging.
- she's winning fairly and squarely! if you don't count the juicing.
- Serena intentionally had a conversation on the phone in front of a journo she was on record with, raising her voice really loud when she said that crappy stuff about other players. She wasn't anymore manipulated, exploited or misquoted on that than the rape victim blaming. She knew damn well he was listening and did it on purpose, which is why she didn't say a name. You're gossiping with your sister, believing no one else is listening, and say "that players," instead of "Maria"? Yeah, right.
Typical Serena, does something shitty, and blames it on someone else. The interviewer has all of this on tape if he feels like proving beyond all doubt Serena is lying about both.
- Ugh. Just FF the posts like r49 AND r62 and keep it moving.
You know, even though Serena definitely deserved to take some shit over her rape comments, I don't understand the Sharpie apology. Especially since Maria came back at her pretty strong.
Why do I think this is all a set-up?
- Prove it, r116.
- It wasn't set up, because Serena apologized for it at the pre-party and said she thought Maria had accepted it.
Maria was presumably being polite for the cameras with every intention of ripping her a new one on media day.
It's always amused me that people believe other players (who see what Serena is really like all the time) actually like her or don't believe she takes more peds than Lance.
- No one could prove Lance was juicing, because the cycling association concealed his positive tests.
In Serena's case, they don't need to. They don't test her anyway.
- Every one of these anti-Serena threads is written like a bunch of bitter cracker queens who could pass for Paula Deen.
- I read the whole article in RS and a big part of it was that Serena is probably the most dominating sports figure of our time in any sport male or female. More than Tiger or Michael Phelps or any ball player.
What she has accomplished over an unbelievable amount of time puts her in the pantheon of the all time greats in sports. Yet people don't seem to see what a big deal this actually is. Her looks, the antics, gender or whatever overshadow her accomplishments.
And yes Maria makes more than twice the money of Serena. Tiger is a dick but makes a shit load of money.
In the article as a whole she comes off as both woman/child more excited about clothes and getting her nails done but still practicing her ass off even though she hates practice. On the other hand she is a warrior who has a temper that is part of what keeps her winning.
I got the feeling she was feeling unguarded in the interview as if she was thinking of him as a friend to chat with.
The most touching thing in the article is about how her and Venus still live together and love and care for each other dearly and help each other through injuries and illness. I'm glad they have each other.
- Lets at least clear up one issue - While Tennis may be behind the curve for testing for steroids, The USADA reports that for the first quarter of 2013, 8 professional tennis players were tested - Serena Williams was one of them - She was tested twice and was clean
- R20, if only her quotes were as amazing as her game is.
- Williams is a lowlife thug who I hope gets booed at Wimbledon.
- Back when Barry Bonds was still insisting he was innocent of steroid abuse, critics pointed to the increased size of his head and rounder face. Serena seems to have the same issue in recent years, and it appears to be more than just normal aging.
Throw in the temper issues, an increase in strength and durability in her 30s, that odd health issue she had a couple years ago and the hiding in her "safe room" to avoid a drug test ... I don't think steroids speculation is out of line.
There's certainly as much evidence that Serena is on steroids as there is Maria is gay, and we all believe that!
- Not on either team here but I can testify first hand that Sharapova is an ice queen bitch extraordinaire. I had a run in with her about 5-6 years ago when she was at the height of her media overexposure. It was in the elevator of The 60 Thompson hotel in NYC. We both got on and she was holding some tabloid rag in her hands. Right away, she kind of asserted through her body language: "You little peasant, don't you dare look at me let alone even attempt to talk to me." To drive her point home she pretended to read the tabloid almost immediately. As I was leaving the elevator, I muttered: "Are you hoping to see a story about yourself in there?" She shot me one of those looks that could kill...
I find Serena's behavior on court often off putting but I know someone who was doing promos for Rogers Cup here in Toronto and he claimed that the only two players who were fun to deal with and had any semblance of personality outside tennis were Serena and Jelena Jankovic.
- But why would she need to take steroids? It's not like the competition is so tough in women's tennis that she needs to resort to juicing. Nadal and Djokovic are more convincing examples of steroid use because of their unusual endurance. Didn't Djokovic use to have breathing problems and couldn't sustain in matchs, now all of a sudden he can endure five sets for six hours? Strange. Here is my theory why Serena's career have lasted this long. For many years Serena and Venus were both criticized for having too many outside interest and not playing enough on tour. Venus and serena never played a full calendar year on tour. They were always part time tennis players who only showed up for the slams and only a handfull of other tournaments. While other players burned out early like Henin and Hingis who played tournaments like every week. In many ways, Serena was smart for carefully planning her schedule instead of playing alot events eventually burning out like her peers. Even Andy Roddick said after he retired wish he had followed Serena's example not to playing too many tournaments.
- If you want a prime example of someone who is/was on steroids, look no further than Samantha Stosur. I don't think that either Nadal or Djokovic are on steroids and that, generally, the men's tour is less plagued by that particular problem.
- R130, there has been suspicion for years now that Nadal is juicing. He was linked to a Spanish physician who was supplying spanish athletes with steroids. Nadal use to have a thick head of hair, his hair has been thinning due to juicing. Djokovic is suspect too.
- Now I'm not a Sharapova fan nor do I think she's likely a terribly nice person, but seriously r128? You were on an elevator. She read a magazine instead of chatting with you. WTF do you expect from complete strangers?
And will the juice-conspiracy nuts please get it all out of your systems? Until they've been caught, they're innocent. So Nadal is on steroids that cause his hair to thin but leave him with perfect skin and plenty of body fat? OK then. If it makes you feel better to pretend that players you don't like are cheating, fine. But you know if one of the top players is doing it, they all are.
- All or most of the top players are doping - and this includes BOTH Sharapova and Serena.
It is being covered up but one day it might all come crashing down like with cycling or baseball.
- R127 There is more proof that Serena is gay than Sharpie is BTW! I haven't heard of Sasha catching Maria making out with another girl, now have you? However Serena did get caught.
How do you know that Sharpie hasn't done HGH or roids for that matter? You don't. Same thing with Serena.
- R134, who was Serena caught kissing? I'm sorry but I don't pay much attention to her love life. I think most of them juice or use substances to enhance their performance. There is so much $$ at stake. The prize $$ alone is enormous.
I saw Serena's apology on TV, her make up is so bad! The way she drew her eyebrows and her eye make up, very bad.
I'm not sure if it's possible to be so muscular without help. She looks like a bodybuilder and 99% of bodybuilder juice.
- [quote]bitter cracker queens
More like bitter women.
- This "feud" was so obviously staged--from Serena's bizarre rape comments to letting a reporter "overhear" her phone conversation with Venus--in order to boost interest in Wimbledon which is soon to start.
- I'd be an incredible athlete too if I took banned substances.
- Serena looks softer and more womanly now than she did when she was a teenager. She was always muscular. The biggest change I've seen is her fitness. She's more fit than she has been in five years. I think it helps that she's in love with her coach. He's hot.
- R139, are you blind? Her coach is merely OK. Not Hot at all. What the fuck is she doing with him anyways? He's got tonnes of baggage, kids etc.
She won't be with him much longer. Unless he is the supplier of "vitamins"...
- This boyfriend couldn't be more different than the last public one, the rapper Common.
- I think she dated an NFL player too. Venus likes white guys, she dated her bodyguard, he was Italian. Not sure who Venus is dating now.
- "Softer and more womanly" - are you high? Yes, she was always muscular, but now she's a heavyweight. She's packing an extra 30 pounds of muscle.
And in "love with her coach"? How romantic. She's sleeping with a married man with children. How jolly glorious for her.
- serena's just a big fraud,like Armstrong. I hope it comes to light, sooner rather than later.
- Oh, please. She is not packing 30 pounds of muscle. Half of her weight gain is in her ass. Another chunk is in her breasts. I've followed Serena since she came on the scene. Go look at her pictures at 17. She has become more womanly and more curvy. That's undeniable.
And yes, I think her coach is hot. I don't know what her marriage is like but since they aren't hiding, I suspect that marriage has been in name only for awhile.
- Yes, R145, they are hiding the relationship publicly. He hadn't left his wife when the affair began. Classy.
- There were pixs from last year of Serena and her coach shopping in Paris. Also, of them on a yacht. The last pixs were a few weeks ago -they went shopping with her sisters. He was holding Serena's bags. I had no idea the guy was married, but paps have been following them for awhile. It's obvious they are dating - arms around each other, head on shoulder...no way they are NOT together.
- Serena and coach Patrick in Paris.
- Someone asked about Venus' boyfriend...he's hottie.
- Yep. Serena's definitely fucking her married with kids coach. You don't put your hand in the ass pocket of a friend and/or mentor. I don't really care - people can fuck whomever they want to fuck.
Steriod use and abuse in athletes is another matter. The fact is that Serena has obviously used dope. As Lance recently taught us (again), testing clean is definitely not proof that someone is training and competing clean.
- The USTA also has covered up positive drug tests before. Andre Agassi revealed that in his book a few years ago. He tested positive for crystal meth, and US officials covered it up for him.
Granted, meth isn't a performance-enhancing drug, but don't doubt that officials would go far to protect Serena.
- Will Miss Tyler Perry play Serena in her biopic? Can Miss Perry pull off the juiced look? The roid rage scenes should be easy to play though.
- Can you imagine Shaquille O'Neal and Williams fucking?
Hard to believe Shaq would lower himself to that.
- At that Wimbledon presser, Williams looked like a deer caught in headlights.
- r149 - Nice trophy boy, V.
WTH is going on with Serena's eyebrow situation? I may have to alert Michael K.
- Not just officials but sponsors, Nike was the one who jumped in and covered up Nadal's positive steroid results years ago. But its been going on for so long now it's like baseball...they'd have to put footnotes next to a whole decade's or so worth of titles. But it would make men's tennis more exciting again if they weren't all doping ramming machines.
- I don't think Federer dopes, R156. His body type hasn't changed.
Serena is the obviously blatant one on the women's side. I doubt if Venus abuses.
- Nobody's commented on Serena's statement that the rapists didn't deserve their sentences. Add that to the 'slut-shaming', and it really doesn't paint a very flattering picture of her. And to the poster who referenced Ana Ivanovic, wow; she was always pretty, but her slimmed-down physique makes her a bona fide babe-o-rama.
- No, don't think RF dopes, but he'd need a footnote too for all those titles he SHOULD have won....
- Agreed, R159. That's why the pathetic attempts earlier to justify that if Williams dopes, it's OK because they all are. They're not. I'd bet most aren't.
I really liked Nadal early on, but the past five years, it seems apparent he's getting outside help - and not just from his uncle's illegal coaching from the stands. So unfair to Federer.
- There is no evidence that Serena dopes. And every argument that you come up with falls because it's based on your assumptions not facts. If she is revealed to be doping, I'll be the first to make a post about it and rip her to shreds but the disgusting way you all try to negate her accomplishments with crap you swear is the truth....
- Her coach has a nice ass. For someone who claimed in the Venus and Serena doc that she isn't in to white guys, Serena is racking up quite a few.
- My partner ran into Serena in Sao Paolo a few months ago. She was nice and approachable.
- R161 probably also believes that Marion Jones and Flo Jo never doped either.
- The WTA would love for Sharapova to dominate and be the face of women's tennis. Don't you think if Serena was actually doping they would love to expose her and have her kicked out of the game for good? The Williams sisters always proclaim themselves to be god fearing Jehovah Witnesses , so I seriously doubt they would abuse their bodies by doping.
- It does seem less clear with the williams sisters re doping, but stan-the-man and the ancient italian phenom/resurrection...oy.
- People can proclaim anything R165. And although it may be true that the tour wishes Maria were #1, that doesn't mean that would want to acknowledge doping in the sport in order to knock Serena out. That would be suicide for the sport.
- Some of you are so ignorant. You look at Serena and assume, based almost entirely on her appearance, that she's juicing on something. You don't even know how to look at her body objectively. You see muscles. While she does have a muscular physique, she's not like female gymnasts (those who are muscular with low body fat). Nor does her physique closely resemble that of professional bodybuilders (juiced or not). Serena could lose some weight. She's not lean, she's not cut. There's quite a bit of fat with all that muscle and I'm not even talking about her glutes. BTW, even dense heavy natural breasts don't weigh that much. How do I know this? Have you ever watched a breast reduction surgery uncensored? Well, I did. The woman had enormous breasts that the surgeon weighed after he excised the bulk of them and it didn't weight more than a few pounds. Enormous natural breasts do not weigh 15 lbs.
Check out this pic from April 2013.
She is certainly fit, she can run around for the entirety of a grueling match and she's done so throughout the years. Just because someone isn't lean or cut doesn't mean they're not in great shape. There are a lot of people out there who do tons of exercise whose bodies will ever be on the covers of fitness magazines. This doesn't negate the fact that they're very fit people. Serena has always been muscular, some people are built that way. My aunt has muscular biceps, always has, gets asked about them. She's never lifted a dumbbell or exercised seriously. My mom even after giving birth naturally to four children regained her figure and you could see the muscles in her back. She never did exercise aside from walking a lot.
Also, someone's face being bloated is not proof of anything. She may be using performance enhancing drugs but her physique is certainly not proof. That's laughable.
Serena was definitely smart. Many players overplayed. Some did so because that's the only way they could get up in the rankings eg. Caroline Wozniaki who didn't fare well against top players and earned/sustained her #1 ranking due to the volume of matches she played. Tennis is fucked up, the season is too long at 11 months. The tennis associations don't care about the welfare of the players. It's all about money despite the increase in injuries. Think about a player who wants to play Davis cup or the Olympics. Sure, the season was trimmed a bit but it was only by about 2 weeks. Players have retired years earlier than they would have had the tennis season been shortened.
BTW, thanks to Venus women are earning comparable prize money for 2 grand slams, French Open and Wimbledon. She actually spoke to officials, wrote a Times article, spoke about it at length and on numerous occasions for years.
- I would rip Maria Sharapova!
- R168, none of us have bagged on Venus. We like her. I think she's a class act.
If Serena is such a devout Jehovah Witness, she wouldn't be fooling around with a married man. If she can violate one body issue, no doubt she'd violate more.
- Oh my eyes! Oh my ears!
Just watched the Drop Dead Diva ep with RiRi playing a family lawyer (season 4, episode 6).
Let's just say she's better at on-court & press-conference melodrama than that thing called "acting".
Oh my eyes! Oh my ears!
- R3 The problem is that Serena is kind of Sapphic like Sharpie is. It's like the pot calling the kettle black.as much as I disdain Sharpie(she is a fake ,manufactured and clueless cunt) Serena would do herself no favors by outing that closet case. Both Sharpie and Serena are clamboxers so it would be rather hypocritical for Serena to out Maria when she's had several stints on the downlow. However she hasn't been as lowkey about her love affairs with women.
- Maybe if Maria had concentrated on tennis she would not have been OUTED so early. I love to see her lose to Serena.
- I think Serena's more of one of those women who like to have some casual sex or fooling around with women but has their real feelings and issues with men. Maria, however, I suspect is the other way around. She was very into Camilla, pings if you look closely while Serena doesn't, and there are a few little pieces or gifs up of her checking out women or flirting.
- R174. Interesting theory. It sounds like the typical post one sees on Lezzie Chat though.BTW Miss Serena looked very happy when she was around Kelly Rowland. Her involvement with Miss Kelly broke up Kelly's engagement.Serena's had quite a few dalliances with women.As a matter of fact if you look at Sharpie Vs Serena, you could make a case that based on the evidence Serena is far more of a lezzie than Sharpie is.
Honey Serena pings big time. Sharpie can pass for straight very easily,why do you think she fools the general public so well? I've told straight friends about Miss Serena and Sharpie and most are shocked by Sharpie but not by Serena. Serena hasn't had much hype from the white obsessed Lezzies at Labia Chat. They are so focused on Sharapova you'd think she shits gold and pisses vintage wine!A lot of them are so fixated on her they can see Serena as gay?!
- Honestly, I'm a lesbian and Serena just doesn't ping. Her relationships with men look more convincing as well.Straight people tend to lack gaydar because they don't look for these things. Serena has quite a butch presence but she still doesn't ping. It's hard to explain.. it's subtle.
- It sounds like you have some insider knowledge r175 - are you involved with the tour? Apart from Kelly Rowland who has Serena been with? Have either Sharapova or Serena been involved with other players?
- R178 doesn't have insider knowledge. They got that Kelly Rowland thing from a Jacky Jasper blind.
- R177 Serena pings you suffer from Sharapovaitis! You see what you want to see. Once again to the general public Sharapova passes and she doesn't seem queer.Straight people have fine gaydar honey do you think people were fooled by Liberace or Ellen?! Hell no. Sometimes when you find someone so hot, they ping beyond belief. Beyond that point,Serena is butch and she pings on top of that.
R178 A lot of Lala's crew were "having fun together." In addition girls would come over to Serena's place while Common was there! He knew so was it bearding or was he in on the fun?
R179 Totally fucking wrong cunt. It doesn't come from a blind item. Who the fuck is Jacky Jasper?!
- Serena is generally into men. You should read her past tweets about getting her heart broken by men. Serena only turns to women for comfort when she's having man problems and lonely. Sharapova on the other hand is pretty obvious. There is no chemistry between her and the so called boyfriends she's with. No chemistry with that Laker player and no chemistry with the current beard.I think Pova only hooked up with Grigor to make Serena jealous because Grigor and Serena were together first.
- R181 I'm asking you this seriously but it's intuition on your part,right? Beyond Camilla Belle who has Sharpie lezzed out with? Serena likes women and men.She turns to women because she is attracted to them like men.
- R182, maybe its intuition because Sharapova just seems like she's not into guys. I could be wrong. Perhaps she is straight.
- Ex-boyfriend of Maria's - the one after Camilla (Charlie Ebersol)
- and one more -
- I don't get a lesbian vibe from RiRi. The man dated Michael Bay, for God's sake--that's not something someone who's trying to be a textbook heterosexual would do. Sharpie seems bi or lesbian, though.
- I mean come on guys.
- Anybody actually buying this?
- Is that Kellan Lutz? Kellan is definitely gay, I have heard that.
- Thats Sharapova's butch attire.
- At least Grigor is hot, cause the last one. NO
- It's working well.
- r188 - I'm not buying it, never in a million years...
And yet two fairly good, with-it tennis podcast-journalists like Rothenberg and Nguyen (see link, below, podcast 44—"A Russian Sniper"), just go on and on and on about Serena Williams and Dimitrov and Sharapova and Dimitrov as if they're really buying into the relationships as if they were real.
I don't know. I look at Dimitrov and think "GAY!!"; I look at Sharapova and think"GAY!!"; I look at Serena Williams and think "BI!!!!"
- A lot of mainstream journalists go along with the PR measures - you see this with tabloids as well - because, well, it's what or what they think mainstream readers click on and want? I don't know. It's protecting the status quo and is lame.
- I dont buy it either. With Camilla Belle she was all over her. LOL
- Sharapova is not even hot to me. She pales in comparison to....
- Outing people is very frowned upon as well, as Pam Shriver made the salient point of..
- Maria looks ecstatic to be with Dmitrov. Really. He looks bored like he has a 4 O Clock nail appointment or would rather be sucking cocks at the local glory hole.
Those pictures of Charlie are fabulous. He had such a low profile with Sharapova it wasn't even funny.He seems that Sharpie turned him into a raging queen! Either that or he is the world's gayest metrosexual ever!;)
- R180, yes it was totally a blind item. LOL.
- R200 Wrong. It didn't come from a blind item. Big fail. I wasn't even aware of that site you posted a link to. There are sources that mention BOTH Serena and Kelly's names directly. No need for a BI when the situation is spelled out clearly AND the people's names are given!
- PnL at R200.
- Serena is not a Lesbian. Neither is Lala she is married to Carmelo Anthony and they have been together for years now. Jacky just recycles old rumors he finds on websites.