- Oh Gawd OP, why add to the Madonna threads by creating yet ANOTHER one? You truly are Rose Nylund-dumb.
- At 54, Madonna is actually a few years older than Rue McClanahan was when "Golden Girls" premiered, but I can't even imagine Madge or other fifty-somethings like Sharon Stone or Michelle Pfeiffer or Demi Moore as Golden Girls. Fifty today just doesn't look like 50 back then.
- Incidentally, Madonna was referenced a couple times. At the beginning of "The Break-in" episode in Season 1, the girls are returning home from a Madonna concert. I'm guessing it was The Virgin Tour, since she toured that year (1985) exclusively in North America.
BLANCHE: "Well, I loved her! ROSE: "The name Madonna doesn't really fit her." SOPHIA: "Slut would be better." ROSE: "Sophia!" DOROTHY: "Oh, please, she did things on that stage I never did with my husband."
Another time, Dorothy mistakenly went off on a preacher whom she'd mistaken for a personals ads pervert. After she realized her mistake she said, "Oh, I'm terribly sorry. I promise that I will say Hail Marys until Madonna has a hit movie!"
- Picture it, Detroit, 1889....
- Never understood why they all went to a Madonna concert in the first place.
- R5 because it's MADONNA! But in 1985 when that episode aired it would have been during the Virgin Tour when Madonna's dominant fan base was teen age girls who all dressed like her
- [quote]Never understood why they all went to a Madonna concert in the first place.
As a setup for jokes. Christ, people, this was a sitcom, not socialist realism.
- R7 I think there should be a socialist realism GG.
They should all be Russian grandmas living on the steppes.
- [quote]But in 1985 when that episode aired it would have been during the Virgin Tour when Madonna's dominant fan base was teen age girls who all dressed like her
Can you imagine four old ladies flanked by a bevy of screaming teenagers and early twentysomethings in signature Madonna outerwear, lace gloves, and big bows?
- IKR - I don't get the obsession with either.
- Janet was mentioned on The Golden Girls before, too. So has Cher.
- [quote]At 54, Madonna is actually a few years older than Rue McClanahan was when "Golden Girls" premiered
That's just sad when you think about it.
- Janet only got a passing mention, when Rose couldn't sleep.
ROSE: "I can't count sheep, I'm allergic to them. So then I tried counting members of the Jackson family: Michael, Janet, Latoya, Tito. And then there was Stonewall Jackson but I don't remember him from the Victory tour."
It's not like they went to one of her concerts.
- [quote]Janet only got a passing mention, when Rose couldn't sleep. It's not like they went to one of her concerts.
So what? She got a mention. And Janet has acted alongside one of TGG...
- R13 Better than being joke material like Vadge was (Sophia's "Slut would be better" remark and Dorothy dissing Vadge's movies).
- Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT Vadge = CUNT
- R15 the Golden Girls were being hip by going to a Madonna concert and commenting on her huge influence on pop culture, Janet got a passing memtion along with Tito!
R16 needs help
- We should start a TV shows who've referenced Madonna thread.
I remember a Growing Pains episode where Kirk Cameron was in love with a Madonna wannabe played by Dana Plato!
The Facts of Life had an episode with one hit wonder Stacy Q, when Jo is Djing at the college radio station one of the producers tells Jo that Cinnamon (Stacy Q's character) will be bigger than Madonna and puts a poster of Cinnamon/Q over Madonna
Melrose Place mentioned Madonna a few times, when Jane tells Rhonda that she heard
about these great new excercises that Madonna does and when Jo the photographer is out in LA and Jake goes. "Jo look, it's Madonna."
Blossom had a WHOLE Madonna/Truth or Dare parody episode, even filmed in Black and White just like the documentary film
- Married...With Children also mentioned Madonna a few times, when Marcy tells Peg that she wants to be just like Madonna and put on a cone bra and Vogue, later in the series the Sex book is mentioned
Roseanne also Mentioned Madonna when DJ wanted to dress up as a witch for Halloween and Roseanne joked "Don't you wanna go as Madonna instead"? Madonna was also mentioned another time on that show
Janet not so much, she never had that influence on pop culture
- R18 Not all of us were around in the 80's - you know, when she was actually popular.
- ROSEANNE also referenced Madonna during an end credit sequence with Jackie and Dan dancing to "A Man and a Woman" elevator-type music, and all of a sudden John Goodman ad-libbed "Let's Vogue!", and the two started voguing. (Laurie Metcalfe starred in Madonna's first feature Desperately Seeking Susan).
Madonna must have been referenced on Will & Grace more than once. Incidentally, both Madonna and Janet Jackson guest-starred on their own episodes of Will & Grace.
- Thank you for thinking of me, r16. Even though I have no fucking idea who you are.
M. Ciccone, blowing r16 a big juicy kiss
- R20 that's why Madonna had the highest grossing tour of 2012 and most attended to with 2.2 million tickets sold because she's so unpopular
That's why her MDNA album was the 12th biggest selling album of the year worldwide in 2012 and the years biggest selling dance album, she has the Billboard awards to prove it
By the way most Madonna TV show references are from the 90s like Bh 90210 (multiple times), Family Matters, Step by Step, Murphy Brown Dawson's Creek etc.
- Diff'rent Strikes mentioned Madonna twice during their final 85-86 season as did Small Wonder when Jamie and his friend were trying to get tickets to see Madonna
The primrtime soap Dallas also mentioned Madonna with Sue Ellen and Mandy Winger.
Will and Grace mentioned Madonna in 2006.
The Tea Leoni ABC 90s sitcom The Naked Truth had a whole episode about Leoni trying to get a picture of Madonna's baby in 1997.
- 227 had episode where Brenda was trying to get Calvin's attention by dressing in the Madonna look in 1986.
Madonna was also referenced in Will and Grace in 2000.
A 2010 episode of the new Melrose Place mentioned Madonna
- [quote]Janet not so much, she never had that influence on pop culture
You couldn't be more stupid and ignorant even if you tried. Janet never had influence on pop culture? What rock have you been under? Not only was Janet mentioned on TGG, but she was also mentioned on an episode of "Who's The Boss?" when Angela got Sam tickets to go see her in concert. Judith Light delivered the line "Nasty Boys...that WAS one of her hits, y'know."
Janet was also mentioned on season one of "Beverly Hills 90210", when Kelly asked Brenda to come and pick her up from the concert venue because "Janet Jackson has laryngitis and this guy I'm with is a total loser."
Janet has been mentioned on the sitcoms "My Wife and Kids", "Martin", and Kim Fields was dressed as a Rhythm Nation-era Janet in an episode of "Living Single".
Janet was parodied on "In Living Color", she got a mention on an episode of "King of the Hill", "The King of Queens", and her song "Nasty" is being used on promos for the new season of "Psych" (not to mention the same song was the basis of a TV series in the '80s...)
There's more, but I'll leave you with this for now.
- Madonna was just mentioned on an episode of Hot in Cleveland
I remember a Who's The Boss episode where Samantha is hanging with her friends in her living room and she's looking at a magazine and sees a picture of Madonna in a leather jacket and says that she wants that jacket.
Absolutely Fabulous also mentioned Madonna a few times as did the US version Cybil in the 90s.
- This is getting ridiculous.
- The Carrie Diaries just had a whole episode all about Madonna
Kate and Allie had an episode where one of the girls sings Papa Don't Preach at the school talent show
Glee of course had a highly rated Madonna tribute episode in 2010
Not really a TV show, but in 1994 FOX aired an unauthorized Madonna biopic called Madonna:Inncocence Lost
- Why did the Janet loon even come in here? This thread is about Madonna and The Golden Girls
- Also: Janet was mentioned several times on "Saved By The Bell", and Zack had a poster of her on his wall...
- Janet poster on "Saved By The Bell"
- The wall behind DJ's bed on "Full House" was adorned with a Janet poster for several years. On one episode, DJ made a call and said her name was "Janet Abdul".
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-embP1Orem1U/TWXnELi65nI/AAAAAAAAACM/0h8jj86XVvo/s1600/Full House Girls Room.png
- "Psych" paying homage to Janet's legendary Rolling Stone cover
- Janet poster on DJ's wall on "Full House"
- Timberlake showing off his Janet poster
- It's THE showdown to end all showdowns: the Janbot vs the Madgebot duking it out with their encyclopedic knowledge as weapons.
But seriously, I love that both fanbots can rattle off every episode of every TV show that mentioned their idols. I'm also a little frightened.
- Janet was mentioned in the season two episode of THE OFFICE called "Take Your Daughter to Work Day"
She was mentioned in an episode of LIZZIE MCGUIRE called "Inner Beauty", and in a season 4 episode of EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS.
Beyonce mentioned Janet in her HBO documentary as one of the women she looked up to as a child
On a Halloween episode of FAMILY MATTERS, Judy Winslow dressed as Janet from the Rhythm Nation video.
Janet was mentioned in the film "Party Monster" by Seth Green and Macaulay Culkin. She was also mentioned in Will Smith's "Enemy of the State" and the movie "Friday", among several others.
Tina Fey posed for a photo on an episode of 30 ROCK in the same pose as Janet's Rolling Stone cover. There was also a painting in the image of the RS cover in an episode of 30 ROCK (Tina Fey is a Janet stan)
Kenny and The Chef from SOUTH PARK were on the cover of SPIN Magazine posing like Janet's RS cover, as was a shirtless Tim Allen on the cover of LAUGH Magazine
Janet was an answer on an episode of JEOPARDY
In the second season of THE SOPRANOS in an episode called "Toodle Fucking-Oo", Tony Soprano is pulling up to a houseparty, trying to find his daughter. One of the daughter's friends is outside, dancing on the street. He says to her: "Hey Janet Jackson..."
On 1 GIRL 5 GAYS, Janet has been mentioned several times, and on Aliyah Jasmine's last episode, panelist Gerry lapdanced AJ to Janet's "Nasty"
Indirectly to FAME, Melissa Etheridge mentioned in her autobiography that she auditioned for a role on the TV show, and the part came down to her and...Janet Jackson. She said she was pretty much in awe at seeing Janet in the same room as her.
KIDS INCORPORATED covered several Janet songs over the years. Here's Martika covering "What Have You Done For Me Lately"
- THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB covered Janet's "Funky Big Band". In the lineup are Ilana Miller with JC Chasez, Nikki Deloach, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Matt Morris and Rhona Bennett...
- WAYNE'S WORLD! EXCELLENT!
- Madonna was mentioned on Charles in Charge, in an episode with the first-season family.
- In Britney's movie "Crossroads", this scene has the girls driving along with a Janet magazine on their dashboard...
- Yes, at one point Janet was super popular/famous and had hit records, but she was never a pop or cultural icon in the vein of Elvis Presley or Marilyn Monroe. Only her brother Michael Jackson and Madonna achieved that level of notoriety and influence. Not even Mariah Carey nor Whitney Houston (who were huge in their time, too) really achieved that type of iconic status.
It's one thins to be famous, it's another to be iconic. Both Michael and Madonna were living legends in the 1980s into the '90s. Ever since Michael died, it just added to his legend, which continues to grow and, in fact, he's eclipsed Elvis and Monroe as the top-earning celebrity. He's currently #1 and they've moved to #2 and 3.
Say what you will about Madonna, but she continues to record music, tour, and fill arenas. You can't say that about Janet or Mariah, and poor Whitney's death didn't put her in the top dead celebrity earners like it did Elizabeth Taylor and Michael.
- Actually, you can say that about Mariah because she just put out a new single that's rising on the charts, and you can also say that about Janet, because she toured the world recently and is currently working on a new album. Also, who is deemed "iconic" or not is subjective. The stark imagery of Janet's RN video is still being copied by today's artists. Her 1993 Rolling Stone cover is one of the most copied/parodied photos ever taken of a female pop star. Janet (and Prince, as well) occupied the same stratosphere as MJ and Madonna when she was at her peak.
- GLEE covered Janet's "Control"
- In the film "Sister Act 2", the choir (which includes a young Lauryn Hill and Jennifer Love Hewitt) breaks into a cover of Janet's "What Have You Done For Me Lately" during the song "Joyful Joyful".
- Janet's "Nasty" also inspired the name of the WWE wrestling duo The Nasty Boys.
"Nasty" was also featured in the Marilu Henner/Thomas Calabro '80s TV movie "LadyKillers", which was about male strippers being offed by a psycho killer.
"Nasty" also appeared in the Kirk Douglas/Burt Lancaster film "Tough Guys" at the 21:32 mark...
- My God, people on DL are OLD! [R47] People my a my age have never even listened to Janet Jackson. That's like saying when you were 25 you should know everything about the hits before you were born!
- Kind of strange that everyone has remembered all of these random mentions of Janet and Madonna on these shows.
- I fail to see what some career-dead fat old irrelevance like Janet Jackson has-been has to do with Madge and The Golden Girls.
Stop shitting all over this thread, Janbot, and let us get back on topic lest I come over to the states and slap you viciously until you can no longer remember 'if you're nasty', let alone which month in 1988 the girl from My 2 Dads happened to be listening to Control for 3 seconds in her bedroom before they launched into a monologue about the evils of smoking or some shit.
- R44, you and that fat tart Janet have been selling that "she's working on an album right now" for the past 6 years. She ain't working on no album because SHE DOESN'T HAVE A LABEL ANYMORE, SHE WAS FIRED 6 YEARS AGO. And if you claim she has a label, TELL US NOW!
- R20 according to Billboard Madonna was the #2 best selling artist of the 80s after Michael Jackson in both the US and worldwide
In Billboards end of the decade 90s issue, which I own, Madonna is the 6th biggest selling artist of the 90s in the US, behind Garth Brooks, Mariah,Celine, Boyz II Men and Janet and the 4th biggest selling artist of the decade worldwide
At the end of the 2000s Madonna placed among the top 50 selling artist of the 2000s in the US, for a third straight decade(not sure what position). Worldwide she was the 5th biggest selling artist of the 2000s!
Billboard also listed Madonna as The Top Singles Sales Artist of the 2000s and the 3rd highest grossing touring artist of the 2000s, with over $800 million in box office during the 2000s. Only U2 and Rolling Stones grossed more on tour than Madonna, but they also did way more shows.
Madonna has been a popular recording act for 30 years and her longevity is amazing and unlikely to be duplicated again in the music industry
- Janbot is would take me forever to mention all the Madonna references in TV and now movies too.
This thread is about Madonna and the Golden Girls
Why are you here?
- r49, the trivia mentioned here can be found on their Wiki pages.
- KUDOS to R52 and the excellent statements of fact found therein. Meanwhile, while Madonna was doing all of this Janet was downing entire pork roasts for breakfast.
- R55 thank you, some people on the DL can't deal with FACTS and they're always using lies to bash Madonna
- Why are the Madonna fans so desperate to prove she's relevant? It's not going to make you any younger. You're reduced to listing 80's tv shows that she was mentioned on?
It's cute that you have nice memories of dancing in your bedrooms to Cherish (R50 seems to be clinging to those old memories for dear life) but that was years ago. At some point you need to let go. There are a lot of more current artists out there that you could be listening to and enjoying. Accept your age and move on already.
- We will never let go!! Just like Madonna will never not wear her panties in public!
Please start your own thread about Carly Rae Jespin or Taylor Swift or whoever you are listening to now.
- Oh please, bitches. In the 90s, Hagdonna could barely get arrested and was writing poorly handwritten letters to filmmakers begging them to put her in their movies, while Janet was making movies, putting out blockbuster albums and signing recording contracts that made her the highest paid singer of all time. As for the new album yes, she IS making one. And she asked to be let out of her Def Jam contract. She was not fired. And she still gave them a number one album that didn't sink like a stone the way FlopDNA did. She's also the singer with the most Billboard award wins with 33 in all.
- Janbot, please go away. FYI in the 80s I had no time for Madonna, and I remember complaining that her True Blue period was just a rip off of Monroe. Only with the passing of the years have I come to appreciate the pop brilliance of a lot of 80s Madge (not all).
Back then I was all about A-Ha, Bananarama, Erasure and The Beatles. Mostly A-Ha.
Anyway you bots obviously have reading comprehension issues. This thread is about what Madonna would be like on the Golden Girls, not YET ANOTHER opportunity to have your pointless little flame war.
Stay on topic or sod off. You're so tiresome.
- The Madge Loon who's always quoting her 2012 ticket sales is really tedious.
Besides, there's always an audience for nostalgia acts. Prove that the overwhelming majority of the audience wasn't over 40 and you might have a point about relevance.
- R59 that's why in the 90s Madonna sold more albums than Janet worldwide?
The fact that 2.2 million people were willing to spend HUNDREDS of dollars the world over for Madonna tickets, when no other artist can do it proves she's still relevant
And Madonna BARELY performs any of her old stuff
And Madonna outsold Janet in the US and worldwide in the 2000s as well!
- R59 actually Madonna has won more Billboard awards than any other artist with 39
She just won 3, including 2 for her MDNA album for Top SELLING dance album of the year and Top SELLING dance artist of the year
So much for it being a flop. The last time poor Janet won a Billboard award (which is based solely on US sales) was in 2001!
- Karma will fuck r48 in the ass in 20 years when he wants to talk about Justin Bieber, to which a zillion voices will say "who?".
- GLEE did an entire episode of Madonna's music.
FAMILY GUY referenced Madonna when Brian, Peter and Peter's dad suddenly went into a rant about how stupid and crazy she is, how everything she does is because it pisses off her father, and Peter had looked up La Isla Bonita to find it isn't an actual place.
- In 1992 Madonna signed a HUGE contract with Warners and formed her own label Maverick, where she signed artists like Candlebox, Michelle Branch and Alanis Morrissette, whom Madonna took under her wing
She also released the biggest selling coffe table book in history and most in deman out of print book the notorious SEX, which has become iconic in it's own right
Madonna only toured twice in the 90s, due to film roles and getting pregnant with Lourdes but both tours were huge successrs with the Blond Ambition tour regarded as one of the greatest tours of all time by critics.
Madonna also had film success that decade with Dick Tracy, A League of Their Own, Evita and her documentary Truth or Dare, which became the second highest grossing documentary film ever after it's release.
The reason why Madonna wrote a letter to the Evita director for the lead was because Michelle Pfeiffer was already signed to star, MP got pregnant and dropped out, the producers remembered Madonna's letter and cast her
In 1990 US magazine named Madonna the most powrful celebrity in the world
Madonna appeared on the Entertainment Weekly Most powerful People in Entertainment list all throughout the 90s in '90, '91, '92, '95, '96, '97, '98 and '99. Janet made the list like 3 times.
Madonna was a successful record company CEO and she even produced films during the 90s through Maverick
- I am not downplaying Janet Jackson's accomplishments, but she was never in the same league as Madonna, who tapped into alot of cultural myth to extend her influence into everyday awareness. That is something most of her wannabees and successors never "got"/"get". It isn't just the youth that you want- Madonna blanketed her fame over the whole genrational board. She ran the gamut of pop culture - 50s, 60s, 70s - and brought not only kids int her sphere, but their parents and grandparents as well. I remember sitting in a Dairy Queen in the early 90s and my friend and I laughed as two old people in their 60s/70s couldn't help but move to the tune of Vogue while it played over the radio - a song that paid homage to stars that were their generation. Years before that, my parents got a kick out Madonna doing old Hollywood Monroe with Material Girl or later Kim Novak in Papa Don't Preach.
No matter how "risque" she was, she still managed to maintain an innocence to her music that when all was said and done, it was infectious and instantly recognizable, becoming a part of the scene and helping to define that scene. "Crazy For You" became the eternal prom song; "Into the Groove" the eternal sappy dance tune with a safe edge. Not alot of grandparents today know any of Britney's songs, let alone Gaga's.
People take it for granted to be blasphemous and iconoclastic these days (in fact, it is the norm and has lost its shock value), but Madonna's "Like A Virgin" unsettled alot of people in the 80s because of its blatant parody of her own name with the Holy Virgin of the Catholic Church. That kind of blasphemy was always held in check on the fringe, the underground (Prince was an acquired taste who wasn't that well-known to Moms and Dads). Madonna brought it into the mainstream and turned it into one continuous dance party that played - and hasn't stopped - on everyone's radio station (which people listened to in the 80s and 90s more than they do now, what with the introduction of technology in which you can listen to your own personal choice of music anytime you want). She combined feminism, religion, sexuality, pop culture, and music like her contemporaries Janet or Cyndi never did: Cyndi was just a girl who wanted to have fun while Janet wanted control. Great messages for little girls, but nothing compared to the impact Madonna had when she was showing girls they could be anything they wanted while having fun and being sexy and not letting anyone tell them what to do, drawing not only them, but their parents and grandparents into the whole discussion. Britney and Gaga and the others who reference Madonna like Madonna referenced Monroe or Dietrich will never be able to achieve the same mythic icon status because of the fragmentation of media that is now the norm in today's world (everyone is watching their own shows and listening to their own music on their own schedules).
If it's a question of talent or sincerity or quality, that is a whole other discussion. But to not realize that Madonna is a pop cultural icon for the ages akin to Presley and Monroe, Brando and the Beatles, or Bowie or Springsteen - a fame in which the name alone evokes fame and carries force just by itself - is just being incredibly ignorant. Janet may be a better singer, for instance, but her influence was not - and never will be - on par with the influence Madonna has had. Monroe was not a great actor - neither was Brando or Dean for that matter - but they, like Madonna, tapped into something quite vital in the mythology of Western history. All you have to do is go in the cultural section of the library and see oodles of books written on Madonna by sociologists and academicians who are trying to find meaning in her videos and theorize ad naseum the social impact of her pop politics. Janet, Cyndi and all the others have never inspired that kind of response. No matter how badly her most rabid haters want it, Madonna is here to stay even way past her mortal expiry date.
- OH MY GOD SHUT UP YOU FREAKS
- r67, THANK YOU. Please re-post that at the end of ALL Madonna threads.
And then we can be Madge-free for a day or two.
- No one's denying that Janet at one point was popular and had hit songs, which people and movies emulated. But she didn't have the same cultural impact worldwide as Madonna and her brother, Michael.
Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, and even Rhianna are very popular right now with big hits, but they're not really changing the music landscape. Janet was very much in the same league. She was famous and had hit songs (for a bit there) but she didn't change the landscape much.
- Great post R67!
- I'm actually a Janet fan, which is why I never bash her or talk bad about her
She's definitely an icon and influential in her own right.
But she's in no way in the same league as Madonna which also includes the Beatles, Elvis, Michael, and Marilyn
And yes it's true that Madonna has successful and makes big bucks off of her tours based on nostalgia, but that's true of anything in pop culture that's been around for 30 years
If a new Star Wars movie opens, part of the success will be nostalgia mixed with new audiences that's just the way it is.
The point is she's still popular enough where people the world over are willing to spend hundreds of dollars to see her live
That's more power than getting people to spend $10 bucks on a CD nowadays.
Rihanna, Katy Perry and especially Gaga would love to be as irrelevant as Madonna supposedly is with her huge tour grosses.
Huge tour grosses = huge money for the artist
- R67 wonderful post, you hit the nail on the head.
When Madonna dies everyone will kiss her ass, that's just the way it is.
By the way I was looking at the RIAA web page, which Billboard uses for it's charts and here are Madonna's album sales from the 80 and then 90s in the US only
1. Madonna 5 million
2. Like a Virgin 10 million
3. True Blue 7 million
4. Who's That Girl Soundtrack (only a couple of songs by Madonna) 1 million
5. You Can Dance (dance remix EP) 1 million
6. Like a Prayer 4 million
Total US 80S sales
Here are her US 90s sales
1. I'm Breathless (Dick Tracy Soundtrack) 2 million
2. The Immaculate Collection 10 million
3. Erotica 2 million
4. Bedtime Stories 3 million
5. Something to Remember 3 million
6. Evita Soundtrack 5 million
7. Ray of Light 4 million
Her total 90s album US sales 29 million
As you can see Madonna was just as popular in the 90s as she was in the 80s, it's just that her 80s work is more remembered and she had a bigger pop culture influence in the 80s.
- It's 2013
- R74 and we're still talking about Madonna
It's called career longevity
Look it up
- It's also called obsessive-compulsive disorder. Look it up.
- Madonna is a gross old whore. The only people talking about her are dizzy, daft homosexuals with loud, trashy taste who think she is still "the bomb diggity."
The rest of us, those of us who have not had all of the taste burned out of our mouths, moved on EONS ago.
Nobody gives three festering fucks about that old cunt.
- R77 than why are you posting on here? Because obviously you do and judging from the record breaking ratings Madonna's Superbowl half time show (most watched TV show in US TV history, 3 million more viewers than the game 114 million viewers total) a lot of other people care about her too.
Did you see Madonna accept one of her Billboard awards for Top Tour, not only did she receive a standing ovation but the crowd stood for her entire 6 minute speech.
I looked at video from the press room, when a celebrity came out and was photographed the press was cool, when Madonna came out THEY WENT FUCKING WILD. Everyone screaming her name and calling her the Queen
That's true star power and only a handful of celebrities durung the last 100 years have had that affect
- R77 her tour grosses, TV show appearances ratings and even album sales (in this climate) all disagree with you.
- HA! I know who the madgebot is!!
- I think it's interesting that the heterosexual community have no real problem with Madonna - the only brutal hatred toward her is from the gay community.
- It's an age thing. All gay men hate getting old, even more than women. Madonna just reminds them of thier faded youth.
- [quote] I think it's interesting that the heterosexual community have no real problem with Madonna - the only brutal hatred toward her is from the gay community.
Actually, it's just the we-like-our-musicians-to-have-actual-talent community that finds her ridiculous and pointless.
But many of the unwashed masses confuse quantity with quality, record sales with some sort of stamp of approval. The stamp of sheep running to the bandwagon, maybe.
- R80 no I'm way younger than him, believe it or not. I'm actually the same age (27) as Lady Gaga.
R81 you're right about certain gay men having a problem with Madonna, which is shocking condidering all she did for gay rights and even AIDS awareness
I also think that Gaga's ignorant fan base also spreads bullshit and hate and has no regard for the legacy Madonna forged. They really are an appalling group of freaks and are already starting to be responsible for Gaga's downfall
Madonna will remain unbothered and have the last laugh as usual.
I work with predominantly straight men and they alk seem to like Madonna and a couple of them were saying how hot she looked at the Billboard awards.
They don't have the vile hatred for her that some gay men on the DL have for whatever reason.
It is weird when you conside that Madonna put her career ob the line in the 80s talking about gay rights and becoming one of the first performers to hold a benefit concert for AIDS research in 1987.
In the 90s she was saying stuff like "Every straight guy should have another man's tongue down his mouth at least once" and "straight guys need to get over the gay images in my SEX book because those are MY fantasies." And"there's nothing hotter than 2 guys having sex".
- R83 yes Madonna has no talent, she can sing (not amazingly but decent enough), write and produce music, dance and play instruments
I'm not saying she's amazing at everything but she's pretty decent in a lot of what she does.
If you've ever seen her in concert it's like a talent show come to life, she does everything on stage.
It's only ignorant people who hate pop music and don't follow her career closely who claim she has no talent.
- Producer Babyface himself said that Madonna was the hardest working artist that he's ever worked with and that she's a great record producer and kmows how to craft a pop song to make it work, he also said that he was surprised that Madonna could both read and write music because most artists don't.
He comparrd working with Whitney to Madonna in which he said that Whitney just came n the studio and laid down vocals and then went home for the day, but what Madonna it was completely differed she was on top of everything in the making of her records.
Yet Madonna is the one who people say has no talent?
- This thread just jumped the shark. Soo what golden girl would she be? Is Blanche too obvious?
- R87 definitely Blance, trying to hold on to her youth and dressing inappropriatly fo her age.
A crazy sexual appetite
Plus she is actually the age range of Blanche in real life
I still love Madonna though.
- "actually Madonna has won more Billboard awards than any other artist with 39
She just won 3, including 2 for her MDNA album for Top SELLING dance album of the year and Top SELLING dance artist of the year
So much for it being a flop. The last time poor Janet won a Billboard award (which is based solely on US sales) was in 2001!"
r63, you forgot to tell us how many Blockbuster Entertainment Awards each of them has!
- R89 you're right awards really do mean nothing in the big picture
- Jumped the shark?
This thread is shark fin soup.
- "I also think that Gaga's ignorant fan base also spreads bullshit and hate and has no regard for the legacy Madonna forged."
Please. Madonna fans act as if she discovered gay people (some nut actually claimed that on a Madonna thread here years ago) and was the only person who ever lifted a finger regarding gay rights and the AIDS crisis.
"They don't have the vile hatred for her that some gay men on the DL have for whatever reason."
I don't think the hatred is aimed so much at her as it is for her obnoxious, incredibly bitter stans.
- R92 most Madonna fans realize that the gay rights movement was set in motion way bedore Madonna burst on the scene.
As for Gaga fans they really are that dumb, I was on a message board once and somebody said that Gaga has taken from Madonna, Bowie and Grace Jones and a bunch of monsters posted shit like who's Bowie and someone posted a picture of Jones and they were all like who's that black woman?
They really are clueless and disrespectful
- R87 = smoking menthols, looking at her nails (in the wrong way), and wishing for the days when she was a Pink Lady.
- "I looked at video from the press room, when a celebrity came out and was photographed the press was cool, when Madonna came out THEY WENT FUCKING WILD. Everyone screaming her name and calling her the Queen"
Was this the special press room for MARY!s?
- OP, I hope you learned a lesson here about ever starting another thread with Madonna or Janet or GaGa in the subject line. It serves you right. Now come over here for your spankie.
- Madonna referenced on ROSEANNE: Dan is upset DJ wants to dress as a witch for Halloween; Roseanne wisecracks perhaps the kid should go as Madonna.
- David Letterman referenced Madonna for years in his monologues before she finally showed up and embarrassed the hell out of him with her infamous f-bombs.
- Nice try honey [R94].. You keep working at it you'll get there someday.
- R94, please keep your mincing "honeys" between you and your girlfriends.
- [quote]Meanwhile, while Madonna was doing all of this Janet was downing entire pork roasts for breakfast.
What was Madonna doing when Janet was collecting checks from starring in "Good Times"? Wasn't she still ho-hopping and tricking in NYC?
- [quote]So much for (MDNA) being a flop
Oh it was, honey, it WAS!
MDNA-record holder for THE BIGGEST PLUMMET ON THE ALBUM CHARTS
- Janet was mentioned in the book "About a Boy", which later became a film starring Hugh Grant.
She was also mentioned several times in "Showgirls".
- [quote]but I can't even imagine Madge or other fifty-somethings like Sharon Stone or Michelle Pfeiffer or Demi Moore as Golden Girls. Fifty today just doesn't look like 50 back then.
There are plenty of women in their fifties who nowadays look much worse than Rue McLanahan (who BTW was a beautiful woman at any age all during her wonderful life) did in the 80's. Madonna, Sharon Stone et al are very rare exceptions to the norm, as their careers strive on their looks and they have the money for the upkeep.
Plastic surgery aside (and many of those choices end up sacrificing looks for fake youth), 50 looks just as old nowadays at it did in the 1930's or 1980's. What has changed are behavioral boundaries, restraints, and attitudes. In other words, fifty year old women are no longer required to stay home hosting bible meetings and acting like passive grandmas. Technology, health advances, broader attitudes, and physical fitness (not synonymous with smoking hot looks BTW) have helped immensely.
- Where did this thread go?
- To CONNECTICUT, ROSE!
- janet Jackson STARRED in Good Times?! hahahahahahahahaahahahah!
- Slap r107, Willona!
- Jesus Janbot, for someone so defensive of your idol, you sure do come off insecure.
- r101, you are fucking reaching. Lol.
- The Queen will ALWAYS rule.
- [quote]Janet Jackson STARRED in Good Times?!
She sure did. All of the regulars starred on the show.
- R111, except Madonna has 39 of those ridiculous awards, asshole.
- This whole Madbots vs Janbot used to get on my nerves but now, I kinda like it. R113 made me laugh and so does the Fuck Janet thread. So over the top, it's great.
I heart (Janet signal) you guys.
- [quote]She was also mentioned several times in "Showgirls"
That was odd. When Nomi took over the lead in the Vegas show, they said they could have gotten Janet Jackson or Paula Abdul. But I don't recall Paula doing any topless shows...
- There is a certain kind of satisfaction knowing that Miss Janet was associated with that all-time campy superbomb of a movie, Showgirls. I think it was very intentional!
- In the movie SELENA, early on she's trying to justify to her disapproving father her reasons for wearing a bustier.
[quote]SELENA: Dad, you don't understand. Look, all the singers are doing it. It's the style.
[quote]ABRAHAM: They're wearing bras?
[quote]SELENA: Yes! Madonna, Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul.
And, of course, later on Selena would be referred to in the press as "the Mexican Madonna."
- In the Bette Midelr/SJP movie HOCUS POCUS, the kids' mother dresses up as Madonna for Halloween:
- "Madonna will remain unbothered and have the last laugh as usual."
Can you give us a time frame as to when that will happen?
The person at the billboard awards was clearly trying to seek approval from a much younger audience. From that ridiculous outfit to having Will I am present it to her (only to have her mock him on stage, again trying to be above it all).
Her stans make me laugh in pretending that she's not bothered by the thought of being a nostalgia act. Everything she's done in at least the last five years has been an attempt to court the late teen to twenty something crowd, at the expense of long time fans.
The "worldwide" bit amuses me. You'd know she'd throw anyone under the bus to get another million selling US album again.
- R119, you'll have to wait a bit, only because it takes a bit of time to count up all that $350 million dollars in cash she made a few months ago at the end of her block-busting world tour.
2.2 million people paid money to see her. I was wondering, how many people paid to see Miss Janet in those half-dozen itty-bitty reviews you say she was "invited" to play in last year? Could you add that up for us? You are so remarkable with making up numbers out of thin air for Janet, why don't you try it one more time for this question.
- Madonna can relate to all of the Golden Girls:
Slutty as Blanche
Dumb as Rose
Ugly as Dorothy
Old as Sophia
- [quote]You are so remarkable with making up numbers out of thin air for Janet, why don't you try it one more time for this question.
Don't worry, bitch. Janet will ALWAYS be younger, more beautiful, and more talented that that desperate, dirty ho-bag MANdonna. Janet's accomplished so many firsts in the industry that it would take me all day to prattle them off. Suffice it to say that Janet Jackson remains the first female to have 5 consecutive #1 albums, her Rhythm Nation tour REMAINS the most successful debut tour by any artist, her janet. album (which was just celebrated by Billboard for its 20th anniversary) was the first #1 album by a female in the SoundScan era, her "All For You" album was the biggest first-week seller by a female at the time, her first 3 movies debuted at #1 at the US box office, she was the first female to have a #1 song in the 80s, 90s and 2000s, she's an Academy Award nominee...
Get my drift?
- r122 [quote]Janet's accomplished so many firsts in the industry
Another first is showing her nipple. Madonna, talentless old copycat that she is, had to do it too. LOL. Madonna is so fucking PATHETIC!
- [quote]Madonna is so fucking PATHETIC!
LOL! You can say that again!
She knows that Janet is often imitated but never duplicated
- Poor Janet. Tit job, a thimble nose job at Tom's Rhinoplasty, ethnic hair turned high white-lady! How she hates her ethnicity and birthright. And an abandoned child that never new her mother. Sad, sad, sad.