- I'm the manufactured ennui.
- I'm the shirt ruffles. And I am everywhere.
- I'm the WiliWear outfit worn to the record launch party.
I'm the black suede pirate boots, furiously tapping time to the synthesizer.
- I'm the Kate Bush-Sarah Brightman-esque backup dancer in the flowy white gown, spinning around in wind machine-whipped rose petals.
- I'm the song that sounds like one long verse with no distinguishable chorus in sight.
- I'm the flock of birds cawing in "It's My Life."
- I'm Nick Rhodes' lipstick.
- I'm one of several cans of V05 maximum hold hairspray on Nick Rhodes dressing table.
- I'm the single electric drum that will be 'played' during a lip-synched performance on the BBC's Top of The Pops program. The drummer will never look gayer.
- I'm the Safety Dahnce.
- I'm Alannah Currie's stupid fuckin' hat!
- I'm the case of bulk eyeliner and mascara in Robert Smith's dressing room.
- I'm the speedball in Dave Gahan's dressing room.
- Im the can of Manic Panic who was required during a Fuzzbox video shoot
- I'm the two dozen donuts from Randy's Donuts marked "BELINDA'S DO NOT TOUCH!!!" in big, black letters on the Go-Go's tour bus.
- I am the spats in Tony Hadley's closet.
- I'm the photo of Marilyn tacked to a dartboard in Boy George's flat.
I'm the store, Jay Jacobs, where the WiliWear outfit was bought to go to the record launch party.
- I'm the cocaine fueled vidso shoot. We need more doves, tin foil and stained glass windows. This is so brilliant. Cue the ballet dancers on the motorcycles.
- I'mthe cluster of 5 broaches worn like war medals
- I'm the Mary Quant foundation that gave Boy George that china doll look.
- I'm Stephen Sprouse, and I'm here to make sure you all look like shit.
- I'm asymmetry, and you wear me in your hairstyle, your eye makeup and your lapels.
- I'm the lead singer in Romeo Void, Debora Iyall, giving all kinds of attitude as I sing the words: "I might like you better, if we slept together."
- I'm the dandy highwayman that you're too scared to mention!
- I'm Marilyn, here to feed off the scraps of all of your careers.
- R25 I love you!
- I'm the Keffiyeh that blouses out of parachute jackets. I work well with houndstooth as well as red and black.
I make the band look too matchy-matchy, so the less-out bass player will wrap me around his left ankle. The keyboard player will wear me as a belt.
I was going to be worn on someone's head, but marketing said the fabulous gay pirate look has already been claimed by Adam Ant.
- I'm the halfway good looking guy with the seriously ridiculous hair-don't.
- I'm John Moss, blissfully unaware that my "experimentation" will make me an object of obsession for over thirty long years!
- I'm Pete Burns' low hangers.
- I'm a classic Sixties psychedelic song, begging you to hide me from Bananarama.
- I'm the crack Smokey Robinson despairingly turns to every time he's "flattered" by ABC.
- I'm the punk icon flirting around the edges.
- I'm the farting synthesizer intro from [italic]Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)[/italic] that will haunt Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart for the rest of their lives.
- I'm trillions of cubic meters of chlorofluorocarbons released into the atmosphere from all the cans of Aquanet used to make hair bigger and spikier.
- I am the Hoover that Lene Lovich is sick of. Apparently, I don't expand her mind enough.
- I am the shoulder pads worn by absolutely everyone.
- I'm Ambiguous Sexuality, and I can't decide whether I like David Byrne or Gordon Gano better. I guess I'll have David date tiny Chinese chicks and Gordon date very tall black chicks. Go ahead, speculate.
- I'm David Sylvain, seething that Duran Duran stole almost everything from my band and made a bloody mint off it.
- I'm that little dance Boy George does in the video for "Do you really want to hurt me?". In the late 80s my disk jockey partner used to do that dance which I thought was cute - he died in 1996 and then some time later I saw the video with Boy George doing the dance - it floored me, as it was exactly the same, I hadn't realised my guy had copied George, but it was perfect.
- I'm the train carrying away Jimmy Sommerville to his new life in the video for "Smalltown Boy" ...
- I'm that raunch in the video of Frankie's "Relax" ....
- I'm Simon Gallup's magnificent haystack of hair.
- I'm the floppy bangs on every New Wave man ever.
- I'm the guitar that no one knew how to play the first time they picked me up.
- I'm the receding hairline on the lead singer of Flock of Seagulls. He works with me to create a look that absolutely no one else wore at the time but gets used in every homage to the 80s from Friends to The Wedding Singer. I'm rather proud of that and now reside at the back of Mike Score's skull.
- I'm the Keytar.
- I'm totally rad!
- I'm a pair of overalls, and my hygenically-challenged owner is prancing down the cobblestone streets of a depressing mining town in Wales whilst swinging his arms wildly.
- Thank you for that one R43. I was 13 years old and the meaning of that video wasn't lost on me, it made me feel so sad. I didn't look at it that he was liberating himself to go somewhere else, it was more like he was exiled from everyone he loved. Very moving.
- I'm the band who may or may not be ironic.
- I'm high-school-musical production values.
- I am Roger Taylor's speedo in the "Hungry Like a Wolf" video.
- I'm David Bowie, capitalizing.
- I'm that song you can't get out of your head but whose name you don't know.
- Actually R57, its more like David Bowie created the scene. Nearly all the new wave acts at the time credited him with being a big inspiration.
- I'm Madonna. I will outlive you ALL!
- I am the WTF faces of people on the sidewalks in that Orange Juice video
- I'm the musty smelling over-sized plaid wool topcoat purchased from the overpriced vintage clothing store in Ann Arbor. A budding trendy gay will wear me to art history class with a 50's costume jewelry broach jauntily attached to my collar and with a working class lunchbox carried ironically to hold my pens and highlighter. (I wish it were warm enough for me to wear my Chinese flats!)
- I'm whipped good.
- i'm the spicy smoke wafting from the clove cigarettes in the hands of the groupies outside the band's hotel.
- I'm Kurt Cobain. I will destroy you ALL!
- [quote]I'm the shirt ruffles. And I am everywhere.
- OMG! Look at what fat slob the lead singer of The Cult turned into!
He can barely sing anymore. (The rest of the band looks great).
- Sad, Ian was one of the sweetest and most beautiful rockers I've ever met. That was in the 80s. Billy still looks incredible. Also a really nice guy.
- I'm John Taylor's bleached blond bangs.
- I'm Adam Ant's sanity slowly dripping from his brain pan.
- I am the threat of nuclear war, who wove my way into many a new wave song.
- I'm the multi-artist 80s retro tour coming to a casino near you!
We're all best friends now despite the fact that we all hated each other then.
- I'm one of Nena's neunundneunzig Luftballoons.
- I am the Z. Cavaricci baggy parachute pants worn with a contrasting skinny tie by the bassist.
- I am one of a multitude of fashion horrors worn in a semi post modern ironic way. My wearer doesn't fully understand.
- I'm Haysi Fantayzee, billed as the Next Big Thing, and I will disappear without making a ripple.
- i'm the lack of defined abs on the band's sexually ambiguous male singer; i will only be considered attractive for a few more years, when muscle fascism becomes the new gay norm of beauty.
- I'm Alison Moyet and I want a fucking sandwich!
- I`m a bouquet of gladioli hanging from Morrissey`s back pocket.
- I'm the lead singer of Baltimora, to date the only pop star who thought that looking like Peter Scolari was the key to success.
- I am the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal finding it hard to believe my ears and eyes.
- I`m Enola Gay.
- I'm the white Capezio shoes worn with tapered pleated trousers with a thin white belt. I'll carry the lead singer to exotic beaches all over the world where he will sing gayly to supermodels.
- I am the Heath Ledger troll.
- I am the John Hughes soundtrack residuals, without which your second career as a wood working artisan wouldn't allow your child to attend a state university.
- [quote]I'm the thick, furry bush around Jon Moss's pendulous cock.
- I'm the knock-off Memphis Group furniture who turned up whenever needed.
- R80 The Smiths were not New Wave and they sure as hell were not New Romantic. They were just a rock and roll band, albeit probably the best rock and roll band of the era.
- Habitat R88, Habi-TAt
- I used to have a Culture Club calendar and Jon was May. He was shirtless.
Damn, I blew so many loads looking at that picture.
- R89,lately there is some kind of understanding that all UK music from the 80s is New Wave and EVERYTHING is being put in that box even Culture Club and Wham!(???).
- R89 Well, sorry if I wasn't correct.
For me, I meant the early 80s, mostly UK driven pop.
Others are correct that, say, the Smiths would not be "new wave."
- I'm Live-Aid in Wembley. I'm the last hurrah for most of you bitches.
- [quote]Sad, Ian was one of the sweetest and most beautiful rockers I've ever met. That was in the 80s. Billy still looks incredible. Also a really nice guy.
I know Billy, and yes, he really is a great guy. Sexy too. But alas, very straight. Even in the 80's. Yes, I tried. (embarrassingly enough)
- I'm Bono's mullet!
- I'm Siouxsie Sioux's harlequin pajamas.
- I'm the "mime artist" who had Howard Jones's back...'til he found success and dumped my useless arse!
- I am the worn out copy of Roxy Music's "Stranded" in John Taylor's childhood bedroom back in Birmingham.
- I'm the nacerous layer of burnt gel on the crimping iron.
- I'm Morrissey and I don't belong on this thread or any thread. I've been bored since 1975.
- [quote] I'm Morrissey and I don't belong on this thread or any thread. I haven't taken a shit since 1975.
There, I fixed that for you!
- "New Wave" is not limited to UK pop. Blondie and Talking Heads were New Wave. That said, the term never had a clear meaning. I thought of it as any music from the late 70s and early 80s that was from a new band and didn't suck, but that excludes Depeche Mode.
- [quote]I'm Bono's mullet!
Nobody was looking at Bono's mullet back then.
We were all focused on his tight pants.
- I'm Limahl's replacement as lead singer for Kajagoogoo. I am SO happy I'm about to be a huge pop star and everyone will remember me and talk about me for years to come.
- R92 : You're wrong. Multiple web-based sources include Culture Club among the New Romantics. One linked here. You can google others.
- R92. And New Romantics was a sub-genre of New Wave. Here is another source referring to Culture Club as New Wave.
- I'm the commercial running now for the Liberty Mutual Insurance Company. I am using Human League's "I'm Only Human" as background music.
I am reminding you all of how fucking great the song was back in the day. Great group too.
- I'm King's spray painted combat boots.
- I'm a rock and roll puppet in a band called Bow Wow Wow!
- Boy George was one of the original New Romantics, hence Culture Club being lumped into that category.
- I'm Linda Rondstadt's criminally underrated New Wave-inspired Mad Love album.
- I am "Renaissance," the Village People's embarrassingly bad attempt to stay relevant during the last days of disco.
- R113 Thats not New Wave/New Romantic. Thats just plain old gay.
- I'm Annabella Lwin's precious flower, which Malcolm McLaren took.
- I'm Always Touched By Your Presence, Dear
- I'm Warren Cuccurulo.
The bands I was in don't really fit into this thread, but I later showed off my huge erect penis, so I imagine you're slightly amused.
- I'm a 1983 high school dance. You can't imagine how awesome my music was.
- Warren Cuccurullo was in Missing Persons, which definitely was new wave.
I'm Warren Cuccurullo's tombstone which reads "Here lies Warren Cuccurullo underneath Tom Cruise."
- I'm not lying down! In fact I'm quite an upstanding fellow!
- R117 jeez Warren is hot!!
- I'm the hedge clippers Helen Terry cut her hair with!
- I'm the visible penis in black vinyl pants at R113. I am actually way ahead of my time. You might see me again at a metal show in ten or so years.
- I'm Limahl of Kajagoogoo, teetering on the edge of the closet door.