- Other people confirmed:
Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake
Karolina Kurkova in Mary Katrantzou
Amanda Seyfried in Givenchy
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley with pink hair
Carey Mulligan confirmed for Chanel makeup
Ginnifer Goodwin in Tory Burch
Miley Cyrus in Marc Jacobs (oy)
Bella Heathcote in Chanel Haute Couture SS13
- Isn't Beyonce the honorary hostess or some such ridiculous honor? Weird choice for a Punk theme. That said, knowing the theme I can't wait to see what people wear.
Also, do the designers always take a starlet as a date? Maybe they always have, I've just never seen the list.
- There's a glaring omission! Did her dress faux pas at the Oscars piss off the entire industry?
- [quote]Alexa Chung
Who the fuck invited this hoarse-voiced nobody?
- I'm assuming you are referring to Kristen Stewart, R3. She will be there.
Kristen Stewart in Nicolas Ghesquiere...
- Kim K will be there with Kanye. I guess Anna Wintour lost that battle.
- Saint Laurent is dead, how can he take anyone?
This show (ball) has turned into a B-list celebrity event. Too bad- it was much more fun in the 70s and 80s. But then there is really nothing left of good ol decadent and stylish New York society.
- R6 - Now I remember that there was criticism about Stewart's dress and overall styling. But meant AnnE. She freaked out and ditched the gown she was supposed to wear because her co-star was wearing a similar design. I can't remember who the original designer was, but they had some type of an agreement and she wore another one at the last moment. She even released a statement afterwards.
It's odd that a recent Oscar winner/attention whore isn't on the list.
- Yeah, AnnE ditched Valentino to wear Prada and then dissed Prada. Even with that kerfuffle, if she wanted to attend, some designer would dress her. She could still show up. She's in NYC right now.
But, it's B-list/C-list show at best now.
- From @dkny
Ladies & Gents! Emmy Rossum, Hailee Steinfeld, Naomie Harris & Jennifer Morrison will all wear one-of-a-kind #DonnaKaranAtelier #METGala
- There is nothing punk about any of this. Sid Vicious, Stiv Bators and GG Allen are spinning in their graves.
- And another failed attempt to make Julianne Hough a star. What kind of insane PR machine is behind this bitch?
- Poor Madonna's popularity has declined so much that she's attending C-lister events now.
- Katy Perry will wearing Dolce and Gabbana (she'll go to the opening of an envelope).
- Joe Manganiello will be in John Varvatos
- Don't Tom and Giselle ALWAYS come to this? Last year she was looking manlier than ever and he wore velvet tuxedo pumps with bows on!
- I have no idea why any straight man would want to go to one of these, unless they are dragged by their gf, wife or publicist.
- R18 Some go to meet women.
- Debbie Harry is punk.
Aside from Frank Ocean and her, this guest list is beyond weak. I'm stunned Madonna is attending given that GOOP will be in the same room, and we all know what a vicious backstabber she was to Madonna.
And why is GOOP still pretending she's some fashion icon. When can we finally say she isn't?
- I can't wait to see who looks like the biggest fool with a Mohawk.
Michael Kors is taking Jennifer Lopez. Who will be fake oranger?
- R20, AND Sandra Bernhard will be there, as she has posted on FB. Cat fight!!
- Rooney Mara
- Jamie Lannister is there!
- Looks like everybody ignored the punk theme.
- Meth Ball
- Ivanka Trump is there? Will she be stoned because of her father? This is a very gay-friendly crowd, while she is one of the biggest homophobes.
- Ha Ha! Kim Kardashian is big as a house. I think Wintour only invited her because she knew Kardashian would look terrible and Wintour's that kind of bitch.
- Kim looks like she's wearing somebody's sofa.
- Miley Cyrus looked hot. January Jones' makeup was atrocious.
- AnnE will not be attending because she will be entering rehab soon for her recent drug problems.
- AnnE as a blonde! Valentino is orange!
- The Met's Live at the Red Carpet is ridiculous. No one is wearing anything remotely punk, Wintour is in a floral Chanel gown. Miley Cyrus is actually the most punk so far.
- Rich people have no idea what punk is.
- R14, this is not a C-list event. This is a big deal. Madge has attended several times before.
- Goop is wearing another Pepto Bismol disaster.
- Everyone in fashion should die.
- Why is Nicole Richie's hair pure white?
- Who is Marc Jacobs bringing?
- Just checked out some of the pics - can't believe how bad everyone looks this year! What's with the batwing eye makeup on some of the women. Amanda Seyfried wore a sofa slipcover.
r33 is that AnnE this year or an old photo? She actually looks good blonde. Must have dyed it for the indie pic she's currently filming. A big change for her, I give her credit for showing up in it.
Nicole Ritchie wow. Give her credit for trying to be daring anyway.
- Kerry Washington...
- It's all a little over the top, but I the Met Ball is still one of the most desirable invite s in all of NYC.
Gay men live and die for a chance to attend such a prominent event.
- Uma Thurman has gotten back in shape fairly quickly after giving birth.
- Kerry Washington is wearing Vera Wang.
- AnnE doesn't have the face for that hair. It reminds me of when Julia Roberts went blonde. I like what I can see of her dress.
- AnnE's dress
- want to add, Goop looks fucking AWFUL in that dress. wtf was she thinking? I see the Olsens didn't disappoint this year, just as frumpy as ever.
I know DL hates her but AnnE actually steals the show so far, she's looks good in that dress (vintage Valentino - and he's walking in with her not Goop so you know he's forgiven her the Oscar debacle). Her body's banging in it and she's rocking the bleach blonde thing. She's one of the few there sticking somewhat to this year's theme (punk).
I also see she's panty-less here lol. But the dress requires it so ok.
- I didn't realize Kerry Washington is to tiny. Or that Vera Wang is so tall.
- The Mohawk look was worn by Sarah Jessica, who looked stunning and embraced the "punk" look.
Jennifer Lawrence looked stunning.
MANY A-List rivalries were there - Jennifer Lopez VS Gwyneth.
And do we still think Darren Criss is straight when he shows up early for the Met Costume Gala?
- Michael Strahan looked stunning
- SJP - always on theme
- Katy Perry is such a twat.
- Goop looks like shit.
- Last couple of links didn't work.
- Katy wearing the Burger King crown.
- Holy living fuck
- WTF is Tom Brady wearing?
- Are the arrivals over yet?
- Madonna is owning the red carpet.
- Lord, I want Tom Brady in me so deeply.
- Kristen Stewart looks gross, as usual.
- The Tom Brady/Gisele photo could be that scene from Annie Hall:
[italic]Alvy Singer: Here, you look like a very happy couple, um, are you?
Alvy Singer: Yeah? So, so, how do you account for it?
Gisele: Uh, I'm very shallow and empty and I have no ideas and nothing interesting to say.
Tom: And I'm exactly the same way.[/italic]
- Kristen Stewart smiles! Now we know why she doesn't do it very much. Dear god, the stylist matched the eyeshadow to the catsuit thingy she's wearing.
- [quote]Kristen Stewart smiles!
No, she just has gas.
- Did you all see the guy from Homeland?
- Anyone knocking my Tommy can fuck off. Your assflaps would burst open like an airplane hangar if he so much as glanced in your direction.
- Kristen Stewart looks better not smiling. Yikes.
- I did not see a picture of Madonna on the red carpet.
- SJP looks fabulous. She really pulls off the look and has a sense of fun and whimsy. Love the tartan boots.
- That's a pretty picture R70. It makes her look like she has a ginormous vag (instead of just being one.)
I just realized how perfect Kim and Kanye are. They achieve about the same super powered level of douche-i-ness and are not inflicting themselves on innocent partners. Sometimes God is kind.
- [quote]SJP looks fabulous. She really pulls off the look and has a sense of fun and whimsy. Love the tartan boots.
I wish she didn't uncover her underwear!
- Sorry bitches, AnnE stole the show, she looks fucking amazing
- Thanks R75, Madonna LOOKS FABULOUS!!!!!
- Ugh, Andy Cohen attended.
- KURRRRTY PUUURRRY.
- R73 A match made in douche heaven.
- kristen stewart has the deadest eyes I've ever seen on an actress.
- Beyonce looked horrible. That dress! And her weave looked like she pulled it out of the trash.
- I think Madonna's had work done.
- Who is Jennifer Goodwin trying to scare?
- Kristen Stewart's massive vagina pants.
- Holy Shit Anna Wintour just might be the most ridiculous and useless human on the planet. Did she have a stroke or did she wear this on purpose?
- Madonna and Donatella Versace. Do they share the same surgeon?
- "Well I'd like to see some real punks in here, some real street punks. But I doubt they were invited."
- Christ, Kuntrashian looks horrible. She shoulda stayed the fuck home. If she could be embarrassed she would.
- Easily the best pics here - including Sienna Miller, Jessica Pare, Linda Evangelista and the Vanessa Redgrave family - not included elsewhere.
- I cannot stand AnnE and I never compliment her--but tonight she owned. Flawless.
- AnnE looks like a contestant on Ru Paul's Drag Race. I guess since she flashed her snatch now she's going to terrorize us with her saggy boobs. She simply is not sexy. Did her fey husband not help her with this? He must be useful in some capacity. What other point is there being married to a gay man who designs jewelry? Then again, maybe after the Oscar debacle she was at Valentino's mercy and would've worn a shower curtain if he had asked her to.
Looks like someone skinned some granny's couch in order to make Kim K's dress. Horrid.
- What a wasted opportunity. The theme was wonderous and most of the assholes claim to have been "the weirdo" in school and this is the garbage they wear? Also michsel k photoshpped a grandma sitting on kim kardashian like a couch. I lol'd
- I thought that SJP and Miley Cyrus looked great. They understood the theme of the evening. Where did everybody else get the idea that that bold, ugly eye makeup fit? It's scary that there were enough makeup artists who thought this and clients who went along.
- So much second rate trash, it's not even funny. The Mara sisters? Solange Knowles? Jessica Alba? Nicole Ritchie? Lena Dunham? It doesn't help that the certifiable A-listers work dresses that looked like recycled shit (Gwyneth, Anna Wintour, Gisele).
Don't even get me started on those Olsen trolls.
- LMAO @ Chelsea Clinton!
- Madonna looks like a cracked out whore. She is so gross.
Jennifer Lawrence looks really drab and uncomfortable. She has become a zombie.
J-Lo and Beyonce phoned in "animal."
It seems more poser than ever. But the absolute worst was January Jones.
- Harsh Michael: " Kristen Stewart (semi-tried, because looking like an embroidered used tampon is sort of punk rock)"
- My Tommy was wearing a vest and a brooch!!!! Say what you want but what other man in the manliest sport there is would wear a brooch!!!! Last year he wore velvet slippers with bows!!!! I'm swooning!!!! GET MY FAN!!!!
THEE TOM BRADY TROLL
- Madonna looks like Pete Burns with that black wig and suit.
- God help me, but I loved Miley. And, yes, AnnE looked ravishing.
- [quote]Where did everybody else get the idea that that bold, ugly eye makeup fit? It's scary that there were enough makeup artists who thought this and clients who went along.
Nancy Spungen, for one. She always wore makeup like that.
- So are Kate Bosworth, Nicole Ritchie, and Jessica Alba high-end prostitutes?
- Nicole Richie has Lionel money. The rest? Who knows?
Why is Meryl's daughter on Eddie Redmayne's arm?
- Is Vadge's hair thinning or something? That's the second time she's wore a black wig recently.
- Did Madonna have fillers done all over her body? She looks inflated and... FAT.
AnnE looked the best and was on theme.
- What the fuck has Madonna got to with punk? She isnt fit to carry Wendy O Williams chain saw.
- Valentino is being quite inconsiderate. How are the other women supposed to shine in the presence of the most beautiful woman in the world?
- Great photos, R90. Thanks.
- [quote]Who is Marc Jacobs bringing?
Sofia Coppola, who apparently equates punk with wearing pajamas.
- Meryl's daughter got all of the bad features of her mother's face and none of the good.
- Kristen Stewart should just stay home. She always looks so angry and put out. Probably a function of the closet.
- I think Kim Kardashian looks MARVELOUS, boo...
- Madonna is so cringe worthy now it's sad.
- “Favorite punk song? Um, it’s kind of hard on the spot. Is Goo Goo Dolls considered punk?”
—Kimberly Chandler, trophy wife of NY Knicks’ center, Tyson Chandler
“My dog ate a safety pin during the fitting, which is punk.”
—Lena Dunham, star of Two Broke Girls or whatever
“I’m embracing the punk. There’s so much punk style in everything we do and wear everyday; we just never have the chance to do it all the way.”
—Hanneli Mustaparta, former model/current dummy
“I skipped punk and went straight to couture. I never did punk.”
—Andre Leon Talley, editor at large of Vogue/total fucking clown
“The curator of the exhibition told me that the color of punk is pink so I’m in pink by Chanel.”
—Anna Wintour, editor in chief of Vogue/woman who gets paid to talk about clothes
“I don’t think I had a punk fashion phase but I think I was definitely a punk.”
—Rooney Mara, actress who dressed punk in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
“I did not [have a punk phase]. That’s why I think my version of punk for me is not probably the mohawk, typical punk that you’d sort of envision. A little bit more like ‘romantic punk.’”
—Kim Kardashian, notable reality TV shithead
“Punk absolutely was an influence in my life. I grew up in the 80s, right at the end of the 70s. Still very formidable years of my upbringing and existence and it was absolutely formed by punk rock for sure.”
—Cameron Diaz, jizz-haired girl from that movie
“I’ve gone through many phases in my life, I think [punk] may have been one briefly.”
—Minka Kelly, most obnoxious character on Friday Night Lights
“I feel very elegant but kinda punk rock because it’s leather.”
—Jessica Alba, some actress
“I grew up on classic rock and that obviously at some point delves into [punk]. I love the Clash. I like the Sex Pistols. I did a movie called The Runaways that got me a little bit more aware of stuff like that. But the energy of it couldn’t coincide with who I am more.”
—Kristen Stewart, Twilight actress/pile of wet laundry
“Tonight for The Met I am channeling the OG queen of PUNK, JOAN of ARC!”
—Katy Perry, singer/whipped cream enthusiast
“I love a lot of the music from that time so it’ll be really cool to see what everyone was wearing and see how that’s inspired couture.”
—Anne Hathaway, America’s most hated actress
“It’s punk because I’ve gone totally classic on a punk night!”
—actress Gwenyth Paltrow on her pink dress
“Who’s not angry when you’re growing up?!”
—designer Alexander Wang, on his punk phase
“Punk rock has a unique culture and distinct style that I really admire. Music of all genres has always been a central influence in my designs. I tend to gravitate more toward classic American rock, but I listen to and love punk rock albums from The Ramones and Blondie.”
—Tommy Hilfiger, designer of clothes for rappers and white boat owners
“I don’t think I fully understood the theme.”
—Kate Upton, human Viagra for Terry Richardson
- SJP looks like she was sucking on a lemon.
- SJP's face has caved in on itself. Scary.
- Everything is beautiful, in its own way.
- Jesus R115, the fact that Kristen Fucking Stewart's quote was easily the best of that bunch says everything.
- - Chelsea Clinton is looking more like Eleanor Roosevelt by the day
- Kim Kardashian; I know there isn't anything this woman won't do for attention, but here's your big night and you look like your dress was made by Country Curtains? Also, what gives with her face? She isn't due for another couple of months - why is she so damn puffy?
- Some of the young women clearly got it or at least could carry over the faux punk look; SJP clearly could not. She looked hideous
On a positive note, I thought Lena Dunham looked prettier in that dress than she ever did in recent pictures.
- [quote]Also, what gives with her face? She isn't due for another couple of months - why is she so damn puffy?
Puffy face is pretty common during pregnancy. It could be a sign of preeclampsia which can be dangerous.
- Heath Ledger's special friend is hiding in a tent.
- No, that's Ashley. Heath's drug buddy was Mary Kate.
- [quote]Puffy face is pretty common during pregnancy.
She seems to be one of those unfortunate pregnant women who gain weight everywhere. That leg she's got sticking out is quite plump.
- Christina Ricci looked the best
- 2013 Met Ball Best and Worst Dressed List:
- This just in: Christina Ricci just added to Best Dressed List for 2013 Met Ball.
- And Madonna moved off to the worst dressed list to accommodate her.
- OK, I'm young and dumb but will someone tell me what's the difference between Punk & Goth?
- Stylists and fashion endorsements have ruined everything. Remember Lara Flynn Boyle's cracked out ballerina at the Golden Globes? I would have welcomed something like that at the Ball.
- Kate Upton
- Kate Upton looks kind of wide.
- What a bunch of C-list celebs!
- Which designer gown was Miss Cillian Murphy wearing?
- Jennifer Lawrence is adorable.
- R126 - Christina looks like she's had a few meals since Pan Am.
- R130 True punk was a rejection of the over commercialized music scene of the 1970s and incorporated feelings of frustration over the poor economic situation and lack of opportunities for working class youth in England at the time. Its sound with the strong 4/4 beat was influenced by Reggae and there was drive for a raw, unpolished musicianship. One of the reasons punk never took hold in America was because at the time, the disaffected youth here already had a music of their own: namely rap. Goth has a more polished, more produced sound. You would almost never encounter a synthesizer in punk the way you do with Goth and is not tied to the political or social issues. Although goth is a sub-genre of punk, the typical goth song's lyrics are going to be a lot darker and introspective than what you would find in punk.
- [quote]. One of the reasons punk never took hold in America was because at the time, the disaffected youth here already had a music of their own: namely rap.
The first rap/hip-hop record wasn't released until the late '70s a few years after punk exploded in NYC and the UK.
- R139 Rap existed for a long time before it actually made it to recording studios. It existed primary underground and at parties.
[quote]Prior to 1979, recorded hip hop music consisted mainly of PA system recordings of parties and early hip hop mixtapes by DJs. Puerto Rican DJ Disco Wiz is credited as the first hip hop DJ to create a "mixed plate," or mixed dub recording, when, in 1977, he combined sound bites, special effects and paused beats to technically produce a sound recording.
Just because white kids in suburbs had not heard it yet doesn't mean it didn't exist.
- Hah. In R136's linked gif, Marion Cotillard is giving SJP an unamused look up and down and cracks up when Lawrence pops in the picture.
- Punk has roots in the early '70s.
- Actually R142, some feel its roots go back even further to bands like The Kinks
- Kim's stylist added sleeves and gloves to that Givenchy gown because her arms are looking too doughy and fat.
- Ha! Robin Williams had a similar outfit as Mrs. Doubtfire.
- MC5 and Velvet Underground were both playing in the mid to late 60s. Punk precedes rap by quite a few years.
- R146 True, but Im talking about by the time punk broke out, which was about ten years later.