- I am NOT GAY, dammit!
- I'm not gay, I'm just out of a job right now
- Who cares about who is or not gay
- Holy crap I'd never seen that Tebow press conference video before!!
All I can say is wow...Talk about letting your guard down.
- "Who cares about who is or not gay"
You're posting this on a gay gossip forum?
- I was thisclose to turning Chrissie.
- Isn't that diver, Greg Looseanus or whatever his name is gay?
- Rumor has it figure skater Johnny Weir may be a homosexual, but one wonders why he has not been banned by a sport, run by the 700 Clubs Scott Hamilton, Mitt Romneys campaign commercial star, Kristi Yamaguici and also a sport rumored to have figure skaters with links to the anti-gay hate group, the Heritage Foundation, run by long time enemy to the gay community, Republican Jim DeMint.
- Brian "loves the Boys" tano.
- Brian Boitano is a creepy, closeted queen who likes to spend time around young children. Maybe he should become a Catholic Priest.
- Keith Hernandez, Mike Piazza, Warner Wolf,
- ^ Didn't Mike Piazza do one of those "I'm not gay" press conferences?
- FF r3, please get the fuck off this site.
- R8 he ended his own career when in his only competition this year ***BOMBED***
He finished DEAD LAST in a major international competition.
He was competing against skaters who were just out of the junior levels!
- At least I have a job.... just no real girlfriend yet... er...
- R8 Why did you post a picture of Chloe Sevigny with your message?
- Tebow. Trust me on this.
- Why do only the ugly ones come out?
- Rumor has it Johnny Weir is not the only gay US skater in competition today.
- There sure is a lot of online speculation about Aaron Rodgers. I'd love it if he came out.
- There are NO GAY FIGURE SKATERS in Canada....er...no longer any.....
- "Why do only the ugly ones come out?"
That's not true at all
- Rusty Staub ... Carl Pavano.
- Billy Bean
- Tebow looks all roided up. It's got to reduce his mobility and speed.
- Scott Adams prof golfer tranny.
- [quote]Scott Adams prof golfer tranny.
- [r.27} must be dyslexic.
- Someone gets to fuck Tim Tebow's gigantic muscular ass, or will, some day.
- Jeff Gordon.
- R30, Tebow has a flat ass.
And he's not very tight either.
- Why are there so few gay male golfers?
- In continuing with obscure, still-active gay NBA players, another pair out of left field:
Former Laker/current Cav Luke Walton & Richard Jefferson are boyfriends. I've seen them out and about and they are not just friends. They co-owned real estate and like to "take vacations together."
- Being a baseball fan, I'm wondering if an active baseball player is coming out soon and who?
- I don't know why, but R36 made me laugh out loud. It sounds like something a slow person would say. Or an older housewife. Just incredibly dull but also sweet in a way.
- Interesting and quite cynical, in a cunty sort of way, r37. I read r36's post and considering what's going on right now, I thought it was an interesting question. Some of you DataLounge posters are sooo unhappy.
- I want Jason Collins coming out to create a domino affect on others to come out as well..unfortunately that will never happen anytime soon.
- All DLers will collectively cream their shorts if/when one of the young, under-30 NHL hockey boys come out. You just know that a ton of those hockey guys did some "experimenting" and hazing growing up.
- I'm hoping for an onslaught of pros from the big four -- NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB -- who are on teams from established Republican states.
- Frank ocean came out almost a year ago..he also got praise for it but non of the r&b or rappers follow his footsteps..so it'll prob be the same situation with Jason Collins.. he will the lone one for another decade.
- R37, you make it seem as if R36 is Joey Luft. I think R36's question is perfectly legitimate.
- I still have my fingers crossed for Joey Votto to be the first Out MLB player, r36. He just got a huge 10 year contract extension with the Reds so his career is all set, and he's the star of the team so has a huge fan base to support him. Maybe he's watching and waiting to see how the general public reacts to Jason Collins before he comes out?
- [quote]You just know that a ton of those hockey guys did some "experimenting" and hazing growing up.
How do we "just know" that?
- No offense, but people want bisexual and gay athletes to come out in the team sports, the major sexy sports (hockey, basketball, baseball, football). Those popular team sports are where the biggest barrier to being openly bi or gay exist, and the sports people care about the most.
- Dave Kopay wrote a book in the 70s about coming out as a gay pro footballer, Sandy Koufax (rumoured),
- R48, I've heard the rumors about Koufax over the years. What's prompted them? Is there any real evidence, or is it just the usual wishful thinking?
- R35, I'm sure those two guys are just business partners. I always take vacations with my business associates!
- R46, because I grew up sucking a lot of the local guys on the hockey team. That's how I "just know."
- Too bad Brady Anderson will never come out. He's so adorable.
- "Former Laker/current Cav Luke Walton & Richard Jefferson are boyfriends. I've seen them out and about and they are not just friends"
Where did you see them together? Just curious.
- Kordell Stewart is pathetic
- Maria Sharapova
- Come to think of it, the least gay sport is male golf.
Shouldn't at least 10% of male professional golfers be gay?
- Is WWE wrestling considered a sport? Because Evan Bourne is rumored to be gay, while CM Punk has been described by more than a few people as closeted bi.
- Are there any actual gay rumors about hockey players in the NHL? Wishful thinking aside. And don't say Crosby.
- I played hockey in high school and college. Late 80's and early 90's. Serious hazing that involves lots of gay stuff that no one thought was gay but just fun. The elephant walk. Cream and cookies. The olive run.
Now that I'm older I get it--and yes, a lot of experimenting after games.
- I'm NOT gay.
Look! I'm surrounded by hot chicks!
How butch can you get?
- The elephant walk is fraternity favorite.
- "Come to think of it, the least gay sport is male golf."
Not while Adam Scott is around!
- Richard Jefferson dumped his fiancee the night before their wedding! Wonder why...
- OP, we've had a thread about gays in sports so long that it's now in its 54th part.
- [quote] OP, we've had a thread about gays in sports so long that it's now in its 54th part
That's a fantasy/lust thread!
- R65, aren't those threads all about soccer/football? I've not been reading them but from the thread titles I never got the sense they touched on sports outside of soccer.
- "Cream and cookies. The olive run."
What do these two involve.
The 'elephant walk' is like gay heaven. You get to rim a straight guy for several minutes under the guise of punishment.
- There have got to be gay pro wrestlers. How can you roll around with another half nkd guy and not be gay?
- Who is left handed in sports?
- Somehow can't imagine hockey players doing the elephant walk. Maybe it's different in North America? Oh to be a fly on that wall!
- R70 pretty much half of the figure skaters are lefties.
- When Ian Roberts came out in Australia people wondered if it would open the door for other gay NRL and AFL players to come out. Roberts came out in the 1990s and nobody has come out since.
It will be interesting to see if Jason Collins will be out on his own for a similar amount of time. You'd like to think not considering it's no longer the 1990s.
- ! there are now reports that 3 MLF teams are intrested to sign Robbie Rogers but Chicago Fire who owns his rights(even though he retired) ..refused to trade him to the LA Galaxy because they think he's a good player for them.. and they don't care if he's gay and are willing to wait!anway I can't believe Robbie walked away from the game at the age of 25 to come out so he could get publicity and promote his underwear line...he's even planning to visit Europe for fashion week..how sterotypical! He could have set an example and kept on playing...instead he followed the advice of his greedy agent. coward!
- sports stars active or legendary who I KNOW to be gay:
1. Sandy Koufax
2. Troy Aikman
3. Keith Hernandez
4. Mike Piazza
5. Richard Jefferson
6. Jeff Garcia
7. Baron Davis
8. Earvin Johnson
9. Isiah Thomas
12. Vince Carter
13. Allen Iverson
14. Richard Singletary
15. David Justice
16. Jason Richardson
17. Lennox Lewis
18. Coach Bill Parcells
Derek Jeter did not make the definite list, but there is plenty of evidence that he is.
And please don't respond with "but he's married with 3 children." I know that is true for many of them. There are probably 10 other I am reasonably certain of, but I only wanted to list the "ones of which I am certain".
- R69, many wrestlers are closeted gays, thats why wrestling is so popular in homophobic countries where its only legal way to be intimate with other men
Why is everyone looking at me?
- Jeffie, I don't consider NASCAR a sport. Sorry Sweetie.
- [quote] Jeffie, I don't consider NASCAR a sport. Sorry Sweetie
Fuck you, Charles! NASCAR is the manliest sport in the world---THE WHOLE FUCKING WORLD! Let's see YOU get out there and bump draft at 200 mph and then get into bitch fight afterwards.
- R75, can you give some indication of how on earth you would KNOW that all those guys are gay? Do you work for an agent, maybe?
- Julian Edelman?
Is he Bradley Coopers' new man?
- I'd like to know that too r80. Not that I don't believe r75 because everybody on that list I've heard rumors about one time or another. And the list has a large number of black athletes, who usually get ignored in the speculation talk
- R75, how do you know about all those people?
- r75, unless you at least explain what you heard or how you know that its merely just a recycled list of people that anyone can make... Opinions. Break it down or stfu!
- Oh here we go again, I have a lot of contacts which allow mw mounds of juicy info just by sheer chance.
My first husband was an 80's multi-platinum rocker, my second husband was a PGA Tour player, and my 3 year bf after the Tour player was one of the most successful sports agent attorneys in the biz. He's no Johnny Come Lately. He was repping stars when only the big stars had agents.
- r85... ah ok. See that's all I wanted to know. Carry on my dear. Have you heard anything about Mark Sanchez's best friend, ugh I forgot his name, Scott something? There was a bi about him and his alleged bearding with HaydenP?
- No I have not. I have heard vague stuff, but nothing even close to provoking my pingy hackles.
- I really wouldn't know.
- [R86] I would like to thank you for being a gentle person and questioning me before admonishing me to STFU as [R84] did. People like he drove me off DL. But people like you brought me back.
You were reared well. No pun intended.
- R86, don't sweat it. R84 has a collasal case of hemorrhoids that hept it from getting laid this weekend!
- Wow. Is no one straight in sports?
- Roger Staubach QB Dallas Cowboys, but I bet that was waaay before your time. He used to hold prayer circles in the huddles and on the sidelines
And most def my favorite guy in sports broadcasting, Sir Charles Barkley
- Thanks for your post, R75. Well, thanks until you reached No. 18, and then you made me vomit.
Regarding your ex-PGA spouse, was it someone I've likely heard of? Did he qualify to play in the Grand Slam events regularly? I've been following golf pretty closely for about 20 years, so I'm wondering if I would recognize his name.
- R86, HaydenP is now with that huge klitschko boxer dude...is he gay as well?
- Thanks a lot for that list, [R75]. Being that I'm a big sports fan, and I know a few gay professional athletes myself who haven't yet been named (who I really don't feel like outing here because I have friends who personally know them, so it'd be easy for it to get back to me), finding out the who's who of gays in sports has always fascinated me more than anything in Hollywood. You've also confirmed a few that I only had hearsay knowledge of, which is nice.
By the way, if it wouldn't be too pressing, do you know any actual stories on any of those on your list? I'm honestly most interested in the NFL players--Aikman and Young, in particular.
And on Jeff Garcia, does his wife know that he's gay? I just ask because Carmella is one of the most beautiful women I've seen, and I know for a fact that she used to be a slut before she married him (for money/fame purposes, I've always assumed), so if he is stepping out with other men, I'm sure she is, too.
- [quote]I know a few gay professional athletes myself who haven't yet been named (who I really don't feel like outing here because I have friends who personally know them, so it'd be easy for it to get back to me),
Can you tell us what sport(s) at least?
Bring gay is an abomination against God. It says so in the bible. You can pray the gay away--not that I would know anything about that. It's just something I've heard about from my friend, Marcus Bachmann.
- R75, any gossip on Bill Cowher? He looks like a leather daddy.
- Bill Parcells? Please give more info. I've never heard this one before.
I can confirm Walton and Jefferson. Josh Smith and Chris Bosh.
MLB- Joey Votto, Justin Morneau, Jed Lowrie, Jacoby Ellsbury
NFL- Ryan Tannehill, Jacoby Jones, Tony Gonzalez, Michael Strahan(retired)
- OMFG r61! The only thing that could make that video any gayer would be if Carla worked out whilst wearing a caftan!
- R99 - Michael Strahan? Really? How can you confirm it? I don't doubt you - after all he is conveniently with Eddie Murphy's ex, of all women. I just wonder how you know.
- [quote]Josh Smith and Chris Bosh.
Also the ugliest mfs in the NBA.
- Was the Daley Thompson t-shirt about Carl Lewis?
- [quote] any gossip on Bill Cowher? He looks like a leather daddy.
Hmmmmm....featuring Kasey Kahne, Victor Cruz & Ian Poulter in what appears to be some subtle crotch grabbing between Kahne & Cruz
- No one mentioned Tom Daley?
Opps! Here's link to Coach Cowher and the crotch grabbers:
- R99, why do you include Jacoby Ellsbury in your list? I am friends with his brother. Jacoby just got married over the winter. I have no reason to believe he is gay, but curious of your knowledge.
- [quote] Was the Daley Thompson t-shirt about Carl Lewis?
It was always very confusing. At the time, I thought that Thompson's shirt was about Thompson.
If it was about Lewis, then it was most inappropriate.
- My ex bf made out with George Brett, former 3rd baseman for the KC Royals, in the bathroom at a party. This was 30 years ago when he was still an active player. We'd been together a little over a year at the time when he finally told me, and his best friend, who was also at the party, confirmed it. There were people waiting to get in the bathroom so they never got past the kissing and crotch grabbing stage, and they never exchanged numbers to hook up later.
- If Robbie Rogers return to MLS he will be the first openly active male player to do so..Robbie is still young and is well known in the soccer community both in America and Europe...unlike Jason who was unheard of before his anouncement,old and at the end of his career.Robbie is also marketable than Jason..because he's very good looking.
Here's the article "Robbie Rogers says "a good chance" he will play in Major League this year"
- Don't just type names, say what you know!
Seriously...Bill Parcells? Roger Staubach? Never heard a peep about them.
Tim Tebow Jockey underwear ad. Yep--nice "Christian Virgin" does underwear modeling. DEFINITELY not gay! * eye roll *
- There are some pictures of Tebow sitting in a training room in his underwear, and the man has a nubbin for a cock. Granted, it wasn't erect, but it would have to grow substantially just to reach an average length. It was literally a tiny head and that's it.
- I don't know how to cite my previous post, but Michael Strahan I can confirm through a friend of his private and professionally. I met him while he was playing, and after his career was over. He seems MUCH happier now that he has retired.
Jed Lowrie and Jacoby Ellsbury I met in North Carolina. I know first hand and first everything else. This was about 6 or 7 years ago when I was in college.
- r99 thanks but come on, you have to tell how you know such things, listing names is easy... Provide some extra tid bits!
- Michael Strahan is not gay. Anyone who confirms that is a liar.
- R103 and R108, the Daley Thompson t-shirt was about Carl Lewis.
From the Guardian article:
He had already appeared for the medal ceremony with a slogan on his T-shirt castigating the host broadcaster's obsession with US athletes but at the winner's press conference he turned up with a different one which said: "Is the world's 2nd greatest athlete gay?" Rumours about Carl Lewis's sexuality had been rife during the Games and Thompson's dig, playing to the gallery of the US tabloids, was crass and no one bought his excuse: "In England gay just means happy."
- Eight Footballers say 'we're gay' but keep quiet in fear of fans
- r113, that is a sick posting. Grow up, dude.
- Proof positive that R75 is full of shit, aside from the ridiculous list he posted, is using the old line about "Oh, I have stuff to tell but anyone who dares to doubt me is going to make me stomp my feet and go away, so there!"
R75, you're the same liar who's been on the DL forever. Your style of writing is instantly familiar. I don't know what is sadder, that you still have no life or that people are stupid enough to believe you.
- R119... Hi, Tim!
- Tebow looks pretty hot in those undies. Just sayin'
- I have never no allusions as to having a life.
I am not a liar.
And yes R109, I am reasonably sure that George Brett fits the bill. He married very late, and Rush(most self loathing 'mo of the 20th century) is one of his most trusted, close friends.
- ^ He's friends with Rush?!
- [quote]Eight Footballers say 'we're gay' but keep quiet in fear of fans
They're actually right. If they come out the fans will tear them to pieces.
- Not in one of the big four sports, but... Nathan Adrian pings like crazy.
- Does anyone remember Brett's hemorrhoid problems during the World Series? He was sidelined by them. I think he had prolonged issues with them.
- Is Rusty Staub really gay? My brother used to love him
- I've heard long-standing rumors that Greg Maddux is gay. However, a blog posted an excerpt from a baseball groupie who said that he was an expert at cunnilingus and drove her wild when they hooked up.
- George Brett has gayface
- Eric Lindros, Sidney Crosby, Wendel Clark (Love him! #17 for life), Glenn Anderson.
Heard rumours about Brendan Shannahan and Scott Stevens (?).
I know we have some hockey fans here-does anyone know?
- There was a blind item about a hockey player hooking up with a male prostitute in NYC
- I mean, really Chris?
- R134 When? Link please!
Brian Mullen, retired hockey, player is gay. He wanted to go into coaching earlier but had to do front office work for the NHL No one would hire him as a coach, it's an open secret. He might have been one reason the NHL has jumped ahead in the fight against homophobia.
Of course Coach Brendan Burke has led the way against homophobia in the NHL. He serves his props, but he is straight, so off topic.
Johnny Bench -- An ex-wife: "I knew we had a problem when he spent our wedding night playing ping-pong with his best man." Cincinnati is a real redneck state. They know, but they love him, so nobody talks about it.
- "Brian Mullen, retired hockey, player is gay. He wanted to go into coaching earlier but had to do front office work for the NHL No one would hire him as a coach, it's an open secret."
I've heard there is a lot of discrimination against gays in coaching. They used to insist that coaches had to be married (of course, married guys can be gay but the assumption was that no wife=queer)
- R138 Wow, didn't know this. What about Adam Oates then? He wasn't married and there were rumors about him.
I think the whole Eric Lindros thing got debunked, was just a rumor.
What about Pavel Bure? Didn't he used to have a 'close friend' or something?
- r138, then who did Mike Milbury fuck at Head Office?
Someone on here mentioned that it wasn't his temper that derailed him so much as his sampling the rookies.
r134, my guess on that one would be Sean Avery.
r137, I think you mean Brian Burke, ex TO exec and coach. Brendan was his son who came out while working in college hockey. He died in a car crash, aged 21.
- so robbie rogers gave his debut for the galaxy. i love that none of the guys shied away from giving him a hug. he had a a huge smile on his face...good for him and his family.
- Adrian Peterson
- FWIW, Brian Mullen is married with kids. I know, not that it means anything ...
- Gary Fencik (sp?) who was on the 1985 Chicago Bears championship team.
- r143, that was funny!
- Mike Milbury - really?! Never heard that. Do his anger issues stem from being in the closet?
- Bill Cowher's late wife, Kaye, was a high school girls' basketball coach.
Rumor had it that he was boffing an African American --female -- secretary within the Steelers' organization
Speaking of the Steelers, lots of rumors but no smoking gun about Kordell Stewart's orientation.
One of the worst kept secrets in Pittsburgh sports was Kevin McClatchy's orientation. Everyone knew, but no one said a world in print or on broadcast media.
- I believe it r148. Everyone knew about Tiger's whores too, but no one wrote or talked about it.
- The only thing I learned from this thread is that Cincinnati is a state.
- "One of the worst kept secrets in Pittsburgh sports was Kevin McClatchy's orientation"
McClatchy did come out, though. I think he claimed someone tried to blackmail him.
- R141 you think Avery is actually gay or bi? Doubt it, but who knows. I think if he of all people came out, no one would give him shit about it.
- There was some scandal a few years ago - Avery was in some madam's little black book. He likes female prosties.
- David Justice? Allen Iverson? Jacoby Ellsbury?
Really? What proofs do you have???
- I think where threads and speculations like these often get derailed, or the poster called a liar, is that people often equate a gay experience or rumor with that person must be 100% gay. There doesn't seem to be any room for possibilities like experimenting or being bisexual or whatever else may be on the sexual spectrum.
- Re. Mike Milbury - what was up with quitting the coaching job at Boston College? He abruptly quit and at the time there was a lot of speculation about why he left...
- R156 Oh, interesting...
- How true is that story the former Yankees locker room attendant put out there about catching Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada making out in the steam room or jacuzzi? What's the real skinny on that?
Any other major league baseball players where the gay rumors may actually have some serious legs?
- "How true is that story the former Yankees locker room attendant put out there about catching Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada making out in the steam room or jacuzzi?"
That definitely happened (in my masturbatory fantasies)
- Luc Robitaille
- R160 Really? He's married, right? Not that it means anything of course.
- R161 a friend of mine made out with him on the dance floor at Montreal's Black and Blue party. Luc's wife was with him at the party but off somewhere else during the make out session.
- Orb, he likes to cum from behind.
- R162 A male friend? Do they have an open relationship then or is he actually gay?
- Has anyone been watching the Stanley Cup playoffs? Some of the guys are really cute
- EVERYONE!!! EVERY GOD DAMNED PERSON WHO EVER DECIDED TO PICK UP A SPORT IS GAY GAY GAY AND TAKING IT UP THE ASS RIGHT NOW!!!!
- r144, IIRC, there was another brother, Joey. Maybe the poster is referring to him.
I also think that TPTB are conflating gay and paedophile again. That would explain the reasoning behind having bearded coaches, if this were true of course.
r153, it was always rumoured of him that he was genuinely bi, one of those fuck anything kind of dudes. I never heard any actual closeted gay stories.
- r162, I'm not surprised.
His former teammate, Marty McSorley also had a lot of rumours around him during his playing days.
- R167 Would his reputation suffer if he actually came out (as bi)? I think he of all people could get away with it.
This is still my favorite interview with him. If he has no problem telling people he played with dolls and interned at Vogue, he'd have no problem telling people he likes men. JMO.
- Luke Walton
- Brent Sopel brought the Stanley Cup to Chicago Gay Pride in 2010. Since he has been booted from the NHL and lives in Chicago with his family. No word on if he is an actual gay.
- Friend of Dorothy.
- R172, is that fake?
the video equivalant of photoshop?
- Some guesses -
Mark Foster, Colin Jackson, Ian Thorpe, Nathan Adrian, Tim Tebow, Ashley Cole, Tom Daley
- Obviously not R173. The more you see of him, the more it fits.
Is Jeff Gordon still hooking up with Mark Consuelos?
- r172, that is funny
- "Is Jeff Gordon still hooking up with Mark Consuelos?"
Were they even hooking up to begin with? I don't think Consuelos is gay
- R101, really? You don't know about Michael Strahan?
- Kerry Rhodes said "keep my name out your mouth.
- Strahan kinda pings
- Why do you keep posting that shit in every thread?
- Check out all of the wrestler boners on youtube. Some of those guys are poppin out of their singlets. Do you think they don't take care of business in the showers. And, when they do, they're probably not alone.
- Tim Duncan?
- R27 / R28 I don't think Adam Scott is gay. He was on and off for 2 years with the most gorgeous female athlete, tennis player Ana Ivanovic. I doubt she would have gone back to him after the first break up if he is gay.
- RIP Emile Griffith
- and again a bunch of female soccer players came out. good for them! interesting: one of them is the long term "roommate" of abby wambach.
- Any photos of Tommy Haas in drag?
- Which female soccer players came out?
- sorry R188, primetime didn't let me answer.
sarah huffmann came out, and so did liz bogus
- Dead @ that Tim Tebow video @ r171. Adorable. *youtubes every Tim video I can find* I'd love to know how popular he is in the locker room.
If this is OPENLY gay then you'll have one fuck of a short list. Sports cunts are the worst when it comes to this.
- Men or Women?
Because you can't throw a rock at a woman's sports team without hitting a lesbian.
The better question there is: Who isn't?
- It's about time there's more for the most homophobic sport of em all: football/soccer. Here's hoping Saint Robbie Rogers has opened the floodgates.
It helps of course if you're incredibly good looking like him which opens up all sorts of opportunities. Just on Google just now it says he has a new fashion line. For the younger generation this is much less of a big deal, so hopefully more will follow.
- Isn't baseball statistically the most homophobic?
- R192, Saint Robbie only came out when he decided his career was effectively over, pretty much like every sportsperson before him. The only professional footballers that came out at the height of their careers were Justin Fashanu (suicide) and Anton Hysén, who plays for a minor team in Sweden.
L.A. threw him a lifeline, but he would never have come out if his career had taken off in England. I cannot see anyone following him. Even if you could win over the fans, the press would on your back the whole time for soundbites over any tangentially gay topic as a 'role model' to aspiring gay footballers. You would never be able to concentrate on your football career and managers would not appreciate the distraction.
- Djokovic, I hope.
- r194 I knew about Justin Fashanu, glad to see there's at least one other - of course he would be Swedish or something, but encouraging nonetheless. I'm sure the uber masculine RUGBY has more openly gay players.
No doubt you're right about Saint Robbie, they all wait till they have nothing to lose it seems and I know he wasn't exactly the most promising player. On the plus side, he didn't wait till he was old and withered which is the usual norm.
- "Isn't baseball statistically the most homophobic?"
I don't know...football has some real assholes
I want to hear more about Bill Parcells. THAT sounds intriguing!
- [quote] I knew about Justin Fashanu, glad to see there's at least one other - of course he would be Swedish or something, but encouraging nonetheless.
What? That Swedish guy plays for: 1. A fourth tier league in 2. Sweden (Not one of the better league systems in Europe). If he earns like 20 bucks a game. LOL. He's not true football professional.
As for Robbie Rogers, he was with 2nd and 3rd division sides in England but even then he didn't consider the the atmosphere conducive enough to come out. I don't expect we'll ever see an openly gay in the Premier League, La Liga, The Bundesliga or Serie A; especially considering what happened to Justin Fashanu.
- r8, ALL male figure-skaters are gay. That's just a given.
- R196 I have my theories about David Wolfman Williams and James O'Connor. Just curious to know who you think is gay in rugby.
- Olympic Bronze Medalist Jeffrey Buttle has recently come out.
- ^ Good for him!
- Blind item about Michael Strahan. Found this at the blind item website:
It’s no secret that this 41-year-old national morning talk show host is a former NFL player, but what you may not know is his beard lives in the Bel Air home he bought — while our blind item is secretly shacking up with with his ‘Celebrity Fitness Club’ BFF [Dr. Ian Smith] in a New York City condo. Sources say our blind item’s ‘Hollywood Exes’ beard is no stranger to his bromance lifestyle. Know why? Because she’s doing nothing different from when she shared ex-hubby Eddie Murphy with Johnny Gill. Don’t believe me.. Just ask our mystery man’s ex-wife, Jean Muggli. You may recall Muggli spilled the beans during their divorce, back in 2006 — telling how he cheated with another man, while they were married.
- R204 How can that possibly be considered a blind item?
- Darren Young, WWE
- How about Tim Tebow?
- Thanks to r74. A few years ago the internet wsa a buzz with gay stories about Peyton Manning. What happened? I know he married and had kids. Did he and Kenny Chesney break up? Thanks, r74.
- R208, the straights can keep Tebow. He's lumpen, fundie and has a flat ass.
- DO you guys think I'm gay????
- R211...oh my. i remeber the day when i saw his big tv interview. i was waiting for a purse to literally fall out of his mouth.
I have never said I was gay !!!
- "A few years ago the internet wsa a buzz with gay stories about Peyton Manning. What happened? I know he married and had kids. Did he and Kenny Chesney break up?"
What's this about Peyton Manning and Kenny Chesney?!
- R214 For a very disturbing moment there I mixed up my country Kenny's and pictured Kenny Rogers. I guess it would give the song "Mary, Did You Know?" a completely different meaning.
- What's the story on hockey player Michael Del Zotto of the New York Rangers?
And, what about TJ Galiardi of the Calgary Flames?
- R26 Oh? Never heard anything about MDZ. He is hot though! Also has a reputation as a pussyhound (as all of them do).
Heard a vague gay rumor about Galliardi, but no one has any solid info to back it up.
- Calgary Flames - gayest team name after the Packers
- R202, no he didn't. I googled it and nothing came up. Nice trolling attempt though.
- Your Google must be broken, r219.
- Any dirt on the behind-the-scenes power players like the team owners, GMs and the like?
- Just seems like "gossip" about Michael Del Zotto, R217 about him "wheeling" females. Never seems true or actually happening.
I youtubed TJ Galiardi, and I don't need rumors about him. Youtube was enough.
- Michael del Zotto has a girlfriend
- Is anyone watching baseball? I want to marry Joey Votto.
- I wish Jason Collins would get picked up by a team.
- Jason Collins knew he wasn't going to be picked up by a team and hence came out.
- This says Collins is playing for the Wizards
- Since coming out three months ago, Jason Collins is receiving more attention than he ever has during his 12-year journeyman NBA career.
Jason Collins Photo by The Associated Press, 2012
Photo by The Associated Press, 2012
Recently he graced the cover of Sports Illustrated and appeared on the “Today Show.” And last week he shared the stage at MTV’s Video Music Awards with Seattle rap artists Macklemore and Ryan Lewis.
However, Collins told a gathering at the A Plus Principles to Live By gala Wednesday that he wasn’t seeking fame or publicity.
“When you’re in the closet you’re telling yourself a lie day in and day out to the point that you start to believe it, but deep down you know it’s not true,” he said. “Once I told my family and my friends – I was one of the lucky ones and everyone supported me – it became a no-brainer as far as it’s time.
“It’s time for me. … It’s time for someone to step forward.”
Collins was the keynote speaker at the downtown fundraiser, which included former NFL player Wade Davis and photojournalist Robin Layton, who also spoke about being gay.
“Just to be free to exist in the world as my authentic self is something that I had never experienced,” said Wade, an undrafted cornerback out of Weber State in 2000 who had stints with the NFL’s Seahawks (2001), Tennessee Titans (2000 and ’02) and Washington Redskins (2003).
Wade, who never made it on a 53-man roster, announced he was gay last year, nine years after he retired. He laughed Wednesday when recounting the things he did to keep his sexuality private.
“I remember watching film when I was playing for the Redskins and thinking, ‘wow you’re running gay, or your standing gay,’” he said. “Imagine policing yourself to the point of every action and everything that you do, you’re scrutinizing it.
“It was harder for me to exist in the closet than it was to come out.”
Wade admitted he couldn’t have come out while he was playing and described Collins as a “pioneer who’s doing things right now that’s blazing a path for others to follow.”
Last month, WWE star Darren Young said he was inspired by Collins to announce that he was gay.
Former NBA player John Amaechi, who announced he was gay in 2007, four years after his retirement, told Collins his life would change if he came out.
“He said, ‘Jason going forward, people aren’t going to recognize you as the pro’s pro,’” Collins recalled. “’Your teammates and the people who truly know you will, but to the rest of the world you’re going to be the gay athlete.
“And you have to have strength. Find a way to embrace that identity, but at the same time that identity doesn’t define you.’”
Collins told the audience that included NBA player Jamal Crawford and A Plus’ student-athletes about the traits he used to rise from a Los Angeles prep school and become a star at Stanford who was taken 18th overall in the 2001 draft.
Telling his parents about his sexuality was one of the most difficult things Collins ever had to do.
“My mom refers to it as letting go of the dream,” he said.
Collins also talked about the unexpected benefits to coming out.
“The coolest thing … it’s when I got the call from President Obama,” he said, laughing. “Now I get to tell all of my gay friends: ‘When you came out, did you get the call from the President too?’”
Still with training camps opening next month, Collins is waiting for a call from NBA executives.
The 7-foot free agent played in just 38 games last season while playing with the Boston Celtics and Washington Wizards. He averaged 1.6 rebounds and 1.1 points.
Admittedly, Collins has never been a superstar in the NBA and never averaged more than 6.4 points and 6.1 rebounds during a season.
“I’ve always had that reputation of being a pro’s pro, a great locker room guy and a great teammate,” Collins said. “That’s an identity that I formed and that’s an identity that I worked for and I’m so proud of.
“I don’t care if I score a single basket. I care about winning basketball games. There’s no better feeling for me than playing with a great player like Jamal and setting a great pick like blindsiding whoever is guarding him. Knocking him on his butt so Jamal can go out there and score baskets. That’s what I’ve done my whole career and that’s what I hope to continue to do in this upcoming season.”
- Does anyone remember this?:
- Do you think Aaron Rogers will ever come out? Or, do you think he'll be the "if you can't figure it out, that's your problem" type.
I can't understand why it's so hard to simply say, "I'm gay". It really lends to the idea that gay men are afraid. If shit happens to you, it happens to you. Shit happened to me and I'm still here. So, if it's all about money...then what low character he has.
- Michael Del Zotto does not have a girlfriend.
- If a twirly little fag boy like Tom Daley won't come out then what chance is there that somebody like Aaron Rodgers(if he in fact is gay) would come out.
Wait. Why do we think Aaron Rodgers is gay again?
- I don't know what the first part of your post means, R233 other than it's just purely hateful. But, Aaron Rodgers is gay and it's widely known in Green Bay. That Kevin, roommate of his, is his partner and has been. He's an athletic trainer for GB. Not sure if he's a legit athletic trainer, as in licensed by the state, and holds a degree in it, but he works for the team. He also raps.
- Aaron Rodgers is a fundie. If he's gay he won't be coming out.
- In 1991 Troy had a College Freshman(male) move in with him. They were a couple for six years. The front office was in a panic.
Up thread someone said the rumors of Eric Lindros being gay had been disproved. That's a crock of shit. First of all, to his credit, he's never done the beard thing. Has never, ever been linked to any woman or faked a relationship to please anyone. The fact is a sports show was ready to go public with a story on Eric being gay. Shortly before it was to air Eric's career ended so the story was just dropped.
- As a lipstick les who loves football and Aaron, I would LOVE it if he were gay and out!!
- R232 Yeah, but that doesn't prove anything. Although it'd be great to have a gay guy like him in the league.
- R236 Was the Lindros thing known around the league? Was it an open secret?
- "In 1991 Troy had a College Freshman(male) move in with him. They were a couple for six years. The front office was in a panic."
Troy who? Aikman?
- "Troy who? Aikman?"
No, Rose! Helen of!
- I don't get how they claim Aaron Rodgers is a great leader. He's a gay man concealing the fact he is gay. He's essentially lying and leading the public on. Maybe when they claim he's a great leader, maybe these are the same people who claim George W. Bush is a great leader too.
- R238, you can't possibly believe that Michael Del Zotto is heterosexual, can you? Or, maybe you're just a homophobe. Either way, you're wrong. Sorry to ruin your party.
- Troy's ex-wife has been arrested in Dallas for drunk driving. She's an absolute mess. I think she was naively used by Troy as a beard when the gay rumors starting to reach their peak in the 90s.
I don't know if Troy still fools around with guys, but it was well-known in Dallas in the late 80s and 90s that he was at least bisexual. I've heard from a very reliable source that he likes young Latinos.
- Troy Aikman is so old no one cares anymore. Same for some other names talked about. If they are old enough to, or actually have, a boy in college then the boy can compete but they're one foot out of a Sunrise Retirement Home.
I know people can only post 'Tim Tebow' so many times, but lets not start digging people out of the grave just to talk about them.
I mean, you guys posting on this thread aren't THAT old, are you?
- Yeah Aikman retired in 2000. He's a regular Methuselah. I mean look how hideous he is. Go back to your Judy thread.
- Aikman looks like an ape in my opinion. I prefer Drew Brees (even with ugly face mole) and tard face Eli Manning.
- R236, Lindros was linked to a Tennessee Lady Vol very early in both of their careers. Her name was Ace Clement. Stories said they were dating her senior year of high school or freshman year of college. Don't know how serious it was though.
- Aaron Rodgers sleeps with a lot of people out in the rural area outside of green bay to keep it hush. I've also heard his trainer friend and him were caught in a compromising position by a hotel housekeeper in Chicago. Where there's smoke there's fire...
Most pro sports are very rough still when it comes to gay athletes...i know i played college baseball in the SEC. Currently in minor league ball now, season over. Louis off hot his yes, but very redneck and homophobic.
- How would Aaron keep from getting an erection in the team locker room with all the muscled, naked bodies walking around and showering?
- Don't know what happened in that lady sentence, damn auto correct...
Lots of hot guy's yes, but very redneck and homophobic...
- Just because you're a gay athlete in the showers with other hot guy's doesn't mean you're going to get hard, contrary to what porn companies would have you believe. I've seen none of that kind of stuff.
I'm showering around some pretty hot and a few hung dudes but i don't get bones in the lockertoom. Adrenalin and being pumped up after competition i suppose is more of a cause especially in sports like wrestling.
- Who's that, r253?
- Wikipedia says Troy Aikman's wife worked in the publicity department for the Cowboys - PR sham?!
- R253 is Michael del Zotto
His beard looks pretty trashy with those godawful hair extensions.
- Do closeted athletes ever hook up with each other? That would probably be a good way to keep your "secret" - finding a guy who is equally closeted, instead of screwing an out guy who might go to the gossip blogs like Kerry Rhodes' bf did.
- R243 I assure you I'm not a homophobe. I was just pointing out that not having a girlfriend is not a sign anyone is gay. Would be great if he was. He's hot, we'd gladly claim him!
- I like the fact that Brittney Griner and Seimone Augustus of the WNBA are openly gay and don't give a flying fuck in the middle of the night about who knows what as they could care less.
- Not me!
- R246, based on the pictures at the link you inadvertently proved Troy is aging very badly
- MDZ does not have a girlfriend. That photo is years old.
There are rumors he "wheels" girls, but no evidence. Just gossip. Nothing real or concrete.
- They (MDZ and girl) both don't even look natural either. It looks completely fake/staged for the camera.
- "I like the fact that Brittney Griner and Seimone Augustus of the WNBA are openly gay and don't give a flying fuck in the middle of the night about who knows what as they could care less."
Brittny Griner is awesome
- Has Datalounge ever outed anybody? Does this website have clout the way Perez Hilton did?
- He looks so sad, sitting there all alone :(
- R265, tried couple of times ,to no avail.
- why bother writing down names here and simply go to a gay sports website using Google to search by keyword?
- I have such a crush on the Nationals First Base Couch and former MLB player Tony Tarasco.
- What are you R262 / R263 / R265, some desperate fangurl looking for a new spot to stalk Michael del Zotto?
And why would you ask if "this website" is like Perez Hilton?
Shame on you, little straight girl.
- R268, Outsports is a shadow of its former self. It's not even worth visiting any longer. It's utter crap now.
- Outsports sucks now. There are so many Log Cabin gays trolling those boards.
- LOL - what fangurl wrote this?
- Actually, R273, boy-on-boy fanfic is huge amongst straight young fangurls. One Directioners in particular.
r273--read the NASCAR slash fics @ Live Journal. You will never think of Dale Earnhardt Jr. the same way again.
- R262 / R263 - The picture of Michael del Zotto and his girlfriend is NOT years old, and it looks real to me. Del Zotto is a marginal NHLer at best; he's certainly not high profile enough to be staging photo ops with a beard. You sound like some straight chick who would rather that your dreamboy is gay than date a chick other than you.
- Has Tim Tebow come out yet now that his career is over? Have we checked on him lately? He's on suicide watch, right?
- Michael Del Zotto is far from straight. Faaaaar from straight.
- Aaron Rodgers' brother, Jordon, came out against gay people joining some fraternity (I think?) at Vanderbilt. There were rules that stated because homosexuality went against religion they were not to join this Christian group. Or, something to that effect.
Aaron said nothing publicly. I think when people, gay or straight, say nothing when a group of people are marginalized, that really says a lot about their character. But, people who try to be good Christians, that usually says they have some evil lingering inside of them, so his silence doesn't surprise me.
- NASCAR slash actually exists?!
[quote] NASCAR slash actually exists?!
Yep. Live Journal has a section devoted to it and there's a website called Fan Fic Nation that has some NASCAR slash. Though most of the stuff on FFN is het, there some slash fics, usually involving Denny Hamlin or Tony Stewart.
Crypt Of Fic has some interesting NASCAR slash--see link below.
- Ronaldo. Ronaldo. Ronaldo
- Keep dreaming, R278. I'm sure you're too short/fat/ugly/desperate/trashy/homosexual/heterosexual/bisexual for him anyway. Scurry back to the talk-sport boards where you belong.
Any scoop on Brady Quinn? I heard that when he played for the Browns,he had a "friend" who was a doctor.
- How many of these "eligible bachelors" are actually confirmed bachelors?
- Any gay male GOLFERS?
- Thanks, r285. Now go through the list and tell which ones actually are.....
- Former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Kordell Stewart says he's not gay. Stewart, who faced gay rumors for years with the Steelers in the 1990s, was responding to a promo clip for Bravo's "Real Housewives of Atlanta," where his estranged wife Porsha is a cast member.
"Kordell didn't necessarily want me physically, and that made me wonder what does he want," Porsha Stewart, 31, said in the clip. This prompted Stewart, 40, to say Porsha was creating news to get attention and he issued a statement:
"I'm very ashamed of my wife for saying something that she knows is not true at all. The rumors have never been true. I'm not gay," he said. "It is sad that she would target the homosexual community which often times lacks support to begin with."
Less than a year ago, Porsha was signing a different tune about Kordell:
"One thing I do know is that my husband loves me and he puts it down and I will be with him forever," she said in a December interview on Power 105.1. "And you know what? He's more man to me than I have ever met. So for me gay is just out of the window."
The rumors about Stewart being gay were so rampant in Pittsburgh in the late 1990s, that Stewart stood up in front of the team to deny them. He also met with then coach Bill Cowher and team president Dan Rooney.
Since retiring, Stewart has had several media jobs, including ESPN, and is a radio host in Atlanta.
- Kordell Stewart is such a shitstain for making antigay comments on twitter. It's one thing to be in the closet - many sports figures are, because its so hard for them to be out - but another to insult gays. His life is a lie. Even though he's an ass I feel sorry for him because he will never be able to live an honest life or accept himself.
The comment about him being "more man than I have ever met" sounds like it came from a PR person. I think one of Ricky Martin's beards said the same thing about him years before he came out.
- I know he's married but....does anyone else think David DeJesus from the Tampa Bay Rays pings?
- What about Ted Thompson (Packers GM)? People have posted about him in other threads
Aaron Rodgers' roommate
- Who I think is in the NFL:
- Gay men would get more respect if there were NFL players that are openly gay. Football is the national game.
- Any new dirt?
- Kordel was quoted as saying he is not gay because he is all man...as if being gay is not a man.
Brady Quinn - rumors abound when he was in Cleveland but nothing concrete. His gay claim to fame is his image was used to promote a gay hook up site.
- "Kordel was quoted as saying he is not gay because he is all man...as if being gay is not a man."
His ex-wife is now outing him!
- Everyone in KC knew about George Brett and Jamie Quirk. They were room mates and had matching cars and went everywhere together...and then that him-roid thing.
- Why doesn't the famedriven website write an editorial on who these male roommates are of Aaron Rodgers for example? Why does this Kevin guy spend ample time with him? Why did Aaron embrace Kevin after he won the Super Bowl? Why do they wear matching suits to award ceremonies? Why does Kevin no longer for him and is now living back in Cali? Why were there tweets about "ending relationships" and "people taking their costumes off after Halloween"? Was Aaron his boyfriend?
I think these are viable questions. Since these professional athletes are not going to willfully come out like they should, because it's the honest and right thing to do, ( I mean, they are "leaders" aren't they?) then this website might as well get the ball rolling with "who are these male roommates?"
- [quote]Brady Quinn - rumors abound when he was in Cleveland but nothing concrete. His gay claim to fame is his image was used to promote a gay hook up site.
Brady and friends, while with the Browns, went into the gay district of Cleveland and were harassing gay patrons at a gay bar with homophobic slurs, calling them "f-words" and "q-words".
- Any rumors about Adam Scott, golfer?
- *He longer works for Aaron Rodgers.
Kevin also wore his Super Bowl ring.
- Tom Daley came out today. Good for him!
- "Brady and friends, while with the Browns, went into the gay district of Cleveland and were harassing gay patrons at a gay bar with homophobic slurs"
They went all the way to the gay district just to harrass people? Hmmmm.....
- what gay district? Lakewood?
- R305, yes.
You've never heard of that before?
- Anyone want to guess the next athlete to come out after Tom Daley?
- I really get the feeling that the QB for Oregon, Marcus Mariotta is totally gay but can most likely never come out because of his religious upbringing.
- "I really get the feeling that the QB for Oregon, Marcus Mariotta is totally gay but can most likely never come out because of his religious upbringing."
Gurl, I've been there
- There are so many gay quarterbacks.
- Sorry, but that gay quarterback thing is just wishful thinking because they tend to be the best looking and most intelligent player on the team.
Don't look at me!
- Don't look at me, either!
- Or me!
- LOL @ r260!
- We still need a major team sport male athlete to come out, especially football player. That would challenge stereotypes more than just about anything else.
- I'm more interested in who is bi in team sports
- Why R318?
- Why is it nobody is gay in the NHL, especially retired hockey players? I have heard it's pretty anti-gay, especially in the minors (AHL). Is it a conservative sport and run by good ole-boys worse than the NFL? What about Russian players...etc.
Any insight/inside info?
- actually, surveys have consistently revealed that the NHL is the most gay-friendly of the big four team sports.
- For some reason, I don't believe those polls, R321. You can't rely on polls either. Nobody in the NHL has come out in the history of the sport so the culture must prohibit something like this from happening.
I tend to believe that the administration is far worse than the NFL even.
Now, I live in a hockey state and I can assure you, the most homophobic people I have encountered were actually hockey players. Could be a coincidence...But, I don't know the business side of the league, which may prove as to why gay hockey players remain closeted for life or, never publically come out.
- "actually, surveys have consistently revealed that the NHL is the most gay-friendly of the big four team sports"
Most of them are Canadian, and they are a lot cooler about gay issues than Americans
- R322, has the NFL ever had a PSA like this?
R323 is right. NHL is by far the most gay friendly of the big four team sports. It's because most players/fans are from Canada.
- I'm a Canadian and my cousin played rep hockey (highest level) for many years. It is a VERY homophobic, misogynistic and racist culture. Hockey parents often have money (hockey is expensive, lots of travel costs), but they are mostly uneducated rednecks. Almost everyone is White in the sport. The NHL "You Can Play" initiative is a positive development I suppose, but it won't change the ingrained culture of the sport.
- NHL Players Support Gay Marriage A Lot More Than The Rest Of The Sports World
According to this survey that recently popped up on reddit, NHL players are vastly in favor of gay marriage. NFL players support gay marriage by a small majority, and MLB and NBA players are against it.
- Cormack: MLB trails NHL on gay tolerance
By now, most of you are probably aware of Torii Hunter’s recent comments in the L.A. Times regarding his thoughts on the idea of having an openly gay athlete.
If not, here’s what he said in a Dec. 29 on the difficulties gay athletes still faced in 2012:
“For me, as a Christian … I will be uncomfortable because in all my teachings and all my learning, biblically, it’s not right,” said Hunter. “It will be difficult and uncomfortable.”
When the inevitable backlash arrived, Hunter quickly claimed on Twitter that his quotes had been misrepresented. For his part, the article’s author, Kevin Baxter stands by his reporting and says he has Hunter’s comments recorded.
Also quoted in that L.A. Times piece was Patrick Burke, co-founder of gay advocacy group You Can Play. Burke, you may recall, was scheduled to meet with Yunel Escobar in Toronto last summer after the Cuban shortstop had been suspended three games for writing a homophobic slur in Spanish on his eye black.
When reached by telephone Friday in Boston, Burke, son of Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, told sportsnet.ca that he took a deep breath when he first learned of Hunter’s comments and that they were typical of what he hears from athletes.
“They (say) they have no problem with gay people, no issue with people being openly gay, but (they are) confused as to how they would react to having an openly gay teammate in their locker-room,” he said.
An awful lot of Christian athletes are confused about how they are supposed to react to gay teammates. Educate, educate, educate.
— Patrick Burke (@BurkieYCP) December 31, 2012
In Toronto, the Escobar incident was met with loud cries of outrage from some fans and members of the media. It was the biggest sports story in the city for days, if not an entire week.
In Detroit however, — where Hunter signed in the off-season as a free agent with the Tigers — his comments barely created a ripple. And until Jon Morosi’s column Friday on foxsports.com, the mainstream U.S. national baseball media had largely ignored it.
Burke says he hasn’t personally reached out to Hunter and is satisfied with the explanation the 37-year-old offered on Twitter.
But for other athletes, such as in Escobar’s case last summer, a more intensive course of action is required.
To that end Burke and Jose Estevez — a Spanish-speaking openly gay Boston College runner — flew to Toronto and met with Escobar for an hour and a half.
“You could tell — and I was mostly reading body language because my fourth grade Spanish wasn’t letting me keep up — but in the beginning I think Yunel started out a little defensive and kind of, ‘why am I here,’ but Jose’s got a very strong story and is a very sharp kid and an eloquent kid and he talked Yunel through the issues,” Burke recalled. “By the end of it, I think Yunel really was engaged in the conversation. I think he understood, I think he learned from it and at the end of it, they gave each other a big hug and wished each other the best.
“We have a really, really high success rate when you put us in front of athletes.”
Getting an audience with more baseball players before, not after, the next controversy is something Burke is keen to do. He says You Can Play has let Major League Baseball know they are available to conduct education seminars for the league as a whole or on a team-by-team basis.
He also says it’s too soon to pass judgment on how well MLB is addressing homophobia within the game.
“I’ll have a better answer for you in the coming months,” he said.
One thing Burke is certain of is that an active member in one of the four major North American sports leagues is going to come out soon, and it’s going to be a very big deal.
“I think everyone is looking forward to the day that that athlete is ready and willing to take that step,” Burke said. “I think it’s going to break down a lot of stereotypes and it’s going to give a lot of kids a role model. If you work in sports media, there are writers you can look up to. But if you’re a gay hockey player and you’re 15-years old in Toronto, there’s no one like you in that sense that you can look up to, that you can sit there and say, he did it so I can do it too. We need athletes who are willing to set that example and set that tone.”
When will it happen? Six months ago, Burke said it would happen within the next two years.
“So I guess we’re at a year and a half now,” he said, sticking by his earlier prediction.
And in Burke’s mind there’s no doubt which sport is best equipped to welcome that athlete.
“I know for a fact, hockey is more willing to embrace that player than any other sport,” he said, citing a 2006 Sports Illustrated survey in which 80 per cent of NHLers said they would be happy to support an openly gay teammate.
The other three major leagues polled between 52-61 per cent in the same survey, according to Burke.
“That was before my brother came out, that was before You Can Play launched. My guess is that number is anywhere from 95 to 100 per cent (in the NHL) now.”
Regardless of what number you think baseball is sitting at today, it appears tolerance for gay teammates is one area in which MLB should be working harder to catch up to their friends in the NHL.
- All this support, all this gay-friendly environment, and yet not one gay NHLer...even retired. Ever.
Could it be that gay men just don't play hockey at the professional level?
- R325, seems to understand where I'm coming from. I live in the hockey culture in the states (Midwest state) and I have seen and experienced that homophobia and misogyny up close and personal. You can cite link after link that states otherwise, but if you don't live in it, if you don't experience hockey culture, even as a spectator, you have no idea. That's why I read these articles and I read these polls and I wonder where they get this info from.
All I know is the AHL is a pretty hardcore place as I said before.
- "Could it be that gay men just don't play hockey at the professional level?"
Oh, they do.
You really think out of the thousands of guys to play hockey throughout history not one is gay?
There are a lot of things that keep athletes (and even ex-athletes) in the closet, it's not just about whether your teammates support gay marriage.
- So far, R325 is the only one who knows what I'm talking about. I think you are understand too, R330. The hockey world is not the nicest place, regardless of polls and pro-gay articles. It's very redneck...almost Tea Party.
- Isn't Drake fucking some college football player?
- Drake and Johnny Football
- Damn, Drake's arms look INSANE in that picture
Helen of Troy Aikman
- Who's Drake's chosen one in that pic, R333?
- they guy directly across from him, he is the quarter back for Texas A&M
- Drake has been lifting
- it's "Johnny Football," from Texas AandM, probably the biggest player in college football now.
- They look like they are ready to kiss
- How can the NHL not be gay-friendly.
It is a well-known fact that ALL Canadian men, at the least, are bisexual.
- Who is the OTHER guy in the picture with Drake and Manziel? He's hot