An economics professor at a local college made a statement that he had never failed a single student before, but had recently failed an entire class. That class had insisted that Obama's socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great equalizer.
The professor then said, "OK, we will have an experiment in this class on Obama's plan".. All grades will be averaged and everyone will receive the same grade so no one will fail and no one will receive an A.... (substituting grades for dollars - something closer to home and more readily understood by all).
After the first test, the grades were averaged and everyone got a B. The students who studied hard were upset and the students who studied little were happy. As the second test rolled around, the students who studied little had studied even less and the ones who studied hard decided they wanted a free ride too so they studied little.
The second test average was a D! No one was happy.
When the 3rd test rolled around, the average was an F.
As the tests proceeded, the scores never increased as bickering, blame and name-calling all resulted in hard feelings and no one would study for the benefit of anyone else.
To their great surprise, ALL FAILED and the professor told them that socialism would also ultimately fail because when the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great, but when government takes all the reward away, no one will try or want to succeed. Could not be any simpler than that. (Please pass this on) These are possibly the 5 best sentences you'll ever read and all applicable to this experiment:
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it!
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.
This can't be real
Link, OP? Or is this from some freeper chain email?
That professor should be fired for being a fucking idiot.
Most likely, R1. It has the sound of "making shit up to prove a right-wing ideological point" ... because the only way to prove right-wing ideological points is to make shit up.
One could argue legitimately what giving everyone the same grade has to do with anything in Obama's policies or proposals.
It's not even remotely the same as ensuring high-income people pay the same percentage of their income in taxes (at least) as lower income people.
Facebook bull shit posted on my wall...by get this...a fucking PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!
Oh the irony!
1. It never happened for the same reason the prisoner's dilemma doesn't happen. People would act to prevent it.
To believe this you have to believe
2. Nobody has any motivation for study other than grades; nobody credits the efforts of anyone else; and nobody cares about the class grade.
3. Now let's look at the conclusions, which are not based on the story anyway. "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity." False. America's highest economic growth rate was in the 1950s when marginal tax rates on the rich ranged as high as 90%.
4. "What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving." This statement is true, but wealth is this thing one does not work to receive. It represents past work, inheritance, or luck. It is a store of value. To treat it, rather than work and risk, as the basis of value in society is to turn all investment decisions and price information over to the past, and the past is never the best judge of the future. It is because of this that free markets have never created prosperity, and it took the series of socialistic experiments we call "capitalism" like banking, socialized credit, public accommodations, legal tender, nationalized currencies, government derived legal liability corporations and all the rest to create prosperity.
5. "The government cannot give to anybody anythign they have not taken from somebody else." Obviously untrue even by conservative reckoning or else they wouldn't be bitching about fiat money all the time.
6. "You can not multiply wealth by dividing it." Experience shows that not only can you do it, but it is the best way to do it. Give a man a million dollars and he will buy a nice car. Give 100 men $10,000 each and you will sell a hundred cars.
7. Rich people's money is not working in our society, and that is the cause of the decline of our nation.
So what we have here OP, is a case where have the points are lies, and the other half apply more to the sloth and greed of capital than they do to the presumed defects of labor.
Let me restate that another way. The reason why redistributing wealth works to increase the pie for everyone (including the rich), OP, is that it preserves the value of WORK. When wealth accumulates in a few hands, so they do not have to work and have excessive influence on the risk, investment and price decisions in society, then the value of work is reduced. Wealth MUST be controlled for prosperity to continue, because without the fairness of work leading to reward, there is no society, just aristocracy. We have seen nothing but declining new business formation and patents for some time now. The cause is the increased concentration of wealth.
R7, you're addressing your comments to OP as if you don't realize he reposted it to mock it with us.
I love all of you posters. I can't say these things as articulately. Thank you!
No econ professor is ignorant enough to think Obama's economic policies are socialism.
Well, to begin with, the premise is completely and utterly flawed:
There is no "Obama's socialism."
R6 was pretty awesome.
OP, I hope you copied and pasted that in reply to that facebook bullshit.
ALWASY confront that shit with facts, reason, and logic. ALWAYS.
Once upon a time there was a little girl named Goldilocks...
OP, I'm pretty sure that "professor" was actually Sean Hannity.
R10: Sadly, no. And I know this because my state's most prominent Econ professor is at least as conservative as that asshole white Republicans adore, Thomas Sowell.
Many economists, most of whom are professors, are conservative and libertarian assholes.
"Oh my God. I'm back. I'm home. All the time, it was... We finally really did it ... You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"
We are switching to the new platform for The DataLounge this weekend. All of our mobile users have been using it for over a week and all first time users have been using it for about a month - which adds up to well over one million users. So we're ready to end this phase of the testing and move everybody to the new site. (more)
And yes, we've changed the look and some of how it operates.
Yes, we know you just *hate* it in well in advance.
Yes, we know we suck.
Yes, we are the biggest suckers that ever sucked.
But it was time for a change and with the huge shift to mobile it was long overdue. We've taken this opportunity not only to update the look but also make major changes under the hood (or "bonnet" if you're either British or pretentious or both). And we have to prepare for 2016 - a presidential election year where we can normally expect to see a 60% jump in traffic (yes, we've seen 5 presidential elections so far…Christ we're old).
The site has a bunch - nay, plethora - of new features which will make the site more usable: better search, the ability to ignore posters and threads, see link previews, to pick up a thread where you left off, spam and malware filtering and more.
If you want you can go explore and see for yourself, Click here.
And while running the tests we've noticed two interesting reactions to the new system - people are spending more time on the site and more people that come stay around longer and look at more stuff. Both good things. Yay!
Possibly we've not slain all the dragons and there will be issues that come up during the switchover. There's a help button in the lower right hand corner of the page which you can use to send us bug reports.
Please include as much information about the hardware (PC, Mac, Tablet, Phone etc), operating system (Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS etc) and browser (Chrome, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer etc) that you are using as possible to help us replicate and fix the problem.
Please note that complaints about colors, fonts, icons and the like are not "bugs" - they are design choices that we've made and we expect one or two cases of world-class bitching. But they won't actually cause headaches, scurvy, heart attacks, Restless Leg Syndrome, Morgellon's Disease or the vapors (but have your smelling salts at hand just in case).
Talking to DataLounge servers. Please wait a moment...