All Threads by Date
Sorority girl MELTDOWN!!
What's wrong with this bitch, bitches? OCD? Rage issues?
"If you just opened this like I told you to, tie yourself down to whatever chair you're sitting in, because this email is going to be a rough fucking ride.
For those of you that have your heads stuck under rocks, which apparently is the majority of this chapter, we have been FUCKING UP in terms of night time events and general social interactions with Sigma Nu. I've been getting texts on texts about people LITERALLY being so fucking AWKWARD and so fucking BORING. If you're reading this right now and saying to yourself "But oh em gee Julia, I've been having so much fun with my sisters this week!", then punch yourself in the face right now so that I don't have to fucking find you on campus to do it myself.
I do not give a flying fuck, and Sigma Nu does not give a flying fuck, about how much you fucking love to talk to your sisters. You have 361 days out of the fucking year to talk to sisters, and this week is NOT, I fucking repeat NOT ONE OF THEM. This week is about fostering relationships in the greek community, and that's not fucking possible if you're going to stand around and talk to each other and not our matchup. Newsflash you stupid cocks: FRATS DON'T LIKE BORING SORORITIES. Oh wait, DOUBLE FUCKING NEWSFLASH: SIGMA NU IS NOT GOING TO WANT TO HANG OUT WITH US IF WE FUCKING SUCK, which by the way in case you're an idiot and need it spelled out for you, WE FUCKING SUCK SO FAR. This also applies to you little shits that have talked openly about post gaming at a different frat IN FRONT OF SIGMA NU BROTHERS. Are you people fucking retarded? That's not a rhetorical question, I LITERALLY want you to email me back telling me if you're mentally slow so I can make sure you don't go to anymore night time events. If Sigma Nu openly said "Yeah we're gonna invite Zeta over", would you be happy? WOULD YOU? No you wouldn't, so WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO IT TO THEM?? IN FRONT OF THEM?!! First of all, you SHOULDN'T be post gaming at other frats, I don't give a FUCK if your boyfriend is in it, if your brother is in it, or if your entire family is in that frat. YOU DON'T GO. YOU. DON'T. GO. And you ESPECIALLY do fucking NOT convince other girls to leave with you.
"But Julia!", you say in a whiny little bitch voice to your computer screen as you read this email, "I've been cheering on our teams at all the sports, doesn't that count for something?" NO YOU STUPID FUCKING ASS HATS, IT FUCKING DOESN'T. DO YOU WANNA KNOW FUCKING WHY?!! IT DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN FUCKING UP AT SOBER FUCKING EVENTS TOO. I've not only gotten texts about people being fucking WEIRD at sports (for example, being stupid shits and saying stuff like "durr what's kickball?" is not fucking funny), but I've gotten texts about people actually cheering for the opposing team. The opposing. Fucking. Team. ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID?!! I don't give a SHIT about sportsmanship, YOU CHEER FOR OUR GODDAMN TEAM AND NOT THE OTHER ONE, HAVE YOU NEVER BEEN TO A SPORTS GAME? ARE YOU FUCKING BLIND? Or are you just so fucking dense about what it means to make people like you that you think being a good little supporter of the greek community is going to make our matchup happy? Well it's time someone told you, NO ONE FUCKING LIKES THAT, ESPECIALLY OUR FUCKING MATCHUP. I will fucking cunt punt the next person I hear about doing something like that, and I don't give a fuck if you SOR me, I WILL FUCKING ASSAULT YOU.
"Ohhh Julia, I'm now crying because your email has made me oh so so sad". Well good. If this email applies to you in any way, meaning if you are a little asswipe that stands in the corners at night or if you're a weird shit that does weird shit during the day, this following message is for you:
DO NOT GO TO TONIGHT'S EVENT."
"I'm not fucking kidding. Don't go. Seriously, if you have done ANYTHING I've mentioned in this email and have some rare disease where you're unable to NOT do these things, then you are HORRIBLE, I repeat, HORRIBLE PR FOR THIS CHAPTER. I would rather have 40 girls that are fun, talk to boys, and not fucking awkward than 80 that are fucking faggots. If you are one of the people that have told me "Oh nooo boo hoo I can't talk to boys I'm too sober", then I pity you because I don't know how you got this far in life, and with that in mind don't fucking show up unless you're going to stop being a goddamn cock block for our chapter. Seriously. I swear to fucking God if I see anyone being a goddamn boner at tonight's event, I will tell you to leave even if you're sober. I'm not even kidding. Try me.
And for those of you who are offended at this email, I would apologize but I really don't give a fuck. Go fuck yourself."
HORRIBLE PR FOR THIS CHAPTER! Oh, the irony!!
- I like this girl. I want to hang out with her.
- Why did you post this here, OP? I do not understand its relevance.
- She's basically pimping out her girls.
- [quote]I like this girl. I want to hang out with her.
Was it her use of "faggots" that sold her for you?
- Haha, I love it.
- Wow, Date Rape can't come fast enough for that one.
- [quote]Was it her use of "faggots" that sold her for you?
No. It was her use of "cunt punt." That's genius.
The girl has a way with anger. I'll forgive the faggot thing.
- Why the FUCK haven't we been using the term "cunt punt" on DL all these years?
- Hey, a female bossy bottom!
- If it wasn't for her use of the word faggot and the fact that she's in a sorority, I'd like her too. But I can't respect anyone who uses that word or cares about shit like this.
- And you'd better not open your fucking mouth if he's date raped you, I fucking swear to GOD!
- Parker Posey's character from "Dazed and Confused" goes to college! (starts at 1:00 mark - yes, that's a young Ben Affleck in the first scene)
- It really is astonishing the kind of self-involved nitwits that pass for university students in this country.
- I agree with the other posters. "Cunt punt" is a new DL classic.
Lets send her the waffle iron we apparently never sent to Canadian Joy.
- Someone needs to hit her in her mouth.
- Negative, R17. Someone needs to shit in her mouth.
- That works for me R18.
- Julia is a proud Delta Gam from U.of Maryland.
Can someone find her?
- Here's their website, but the "sisters" and "contact us" buttons are blank pages.
- Unfortunately there are no names on the their site.
- Both Patricia Heaton and Ann Coulter are Delta Gammas.
- [quote]Both Patricia Heaton and Ann Coulter are Delta Gammas.
I wonder if they were ever cunt punted? Or were cunt punters?
- This is supposedly the girl behind the e-mail. She looks like a huge slut, which works out well for her.
- Cunt punting was probably invented because of Ann Coulter and Patricia Heaton.
- True R26!
- her facebook page!
- Not anymore. Poor thing has deleted her page.
- What's her last name? She can try to erase her social media footprint but this will never go away.
- Someone's going to find out exactly who she is soon enough, there'll be pictures of her all over the place. Those "awkward" and "boring" girls she berated will see to that.
- The chapter president, Rachel Norris, tried to do damage control by contacting Gawker and other outlets asking them to remove it. I am sure she and the national leaders have already issued a directive not to release the girl's name to attract any more attention. I'm sure she's been kicked out.
I hope she was a finance major. She'll do great on Wall Street.
- R31, see R25. Her name and face pics have already surfaced. Surprisingly, she's pretty hot.
- Butter face
- She's pretty but definitely has a slutty. mean girl thing about her.
- R33, yep, the internets are a killer. Everyone has to watch what they do and say because someone will expose you almost immediately.
- Oh, so Gawker changed her name to Julia, but the link at r25 identifies her as Rebecca Martinson. Game over, Becky.
- Am I giving her too much credit in thinking that this is at least a somewhat intentionally tongue-in-cheek overuse of profanity and vulgarity?
Remember the angry Mid-Western Republican "activist" who drowned her election night sorrows in Buttershots and chips-and-dip? Her rant was raw and real and sincere even if she was a deluded fool to think her Facebook messaging would have changed the election if only more people had forwarded her links.
I somehow think this sorority's girl's foul-mouthed fury was adopted in the spirit of a pep rally. I could be wrong.
I'd like to see a dramatic recitation of this speech. It'd make one hell of an audition monologue.
- Demented bitch.
- Also, her real name is not Julia (they changed it for the article).
I love her. It's like as if Heather Chandler had lived and gone to college.
- I, too, think it might be a self-aware tongue-in-cheek letter. If not, that poor girl is a sociopathic nightmare of a human being. It's funny because it is so over the top. But it is NOT funny if it is meant in seriousness and that insane girl is really out there. In the world. Doing damage. Somebody's going to cunt punt her all the way to Siberia at some point!
- But why is this relevant? And why is Gawker even publishing this? Could this be considered invasion of privacy?
PS I admit I hate Gawker.
- [quote] But it is NOT funny if it is meant in seriousness and that insane girl is really out there
I agree, it's been kind of disgusting to read comments here and on Gawker from people saying how much they LOVE this girl and would want to be friends with her.
- Well, R42, the site's name IS Gawker.
- For the life of me, I have no fucking idea what she's yammering about. She sounds like she has a really nasal, shrill voice and says "like" a lot.
- Deleted Tweets from her Twitter
- What a heinous CUNT.
- She's a homophobe and a racist. What a surprise.
- For all her mean-girl posturing, DG isn't even a top sorority at UMD.
- One columnist has said that before the week is out she'll get a deal from a professional publishing agent to write a book called LEAN THE FUCK IN BEFORE I CUNT-PUNT YOU.
- [quote]But why is this relevant?
Drop the holier-than-thou shit: you're on a gossip forum, after all, so clearly you're not above such petty things.
[quote]And why is Gawker even publishing this?
Because it's funny.
[quote] Could this be considered invasion of privacy?
No. Once she published it she ceased to have any control over who reads it or who publishes it further.
- She's offensive and racist and just mean as hell, but she is kind of funny in an appalling way, just like Heather Chandler:
"To the girls running on the treadmill at 3.7mph... why do you even bother #domore #gohome"
"@ahoffma4 your dick is so used I wouldn't sell it in a second hand store."
- I'm hoping that at every job interview she goes on that she is asked to demonstrate the cunt punt.
- Except for the faggot comment, Rebecca really could be the slutty over the top mascot for DL.
- She's disgusting, And she looks like a human-monkey hybrid.
- Her pure unadulterated rage is really a joy to behold. It's like watching Queen Cersei scream at her palace guards.
- She's basically ordering them to get drunk and sleep around.
- [quote]For all her mean-girl posturing, DG isn't even a top sorority at UMD.
Which probably partially explains both how she got into such a position at the sorority and why she is so rageful at the thought of them dishonoring themselves in the eyes of the fraternity.
I really hope we get to hear follow up on this. I would love to hear how she responds to all the press.
- She's a TA for an English class. Interesting.
- I hope she hasn't ODed as a response to her rage at being exposed.
And of course she would need to be disciplined for this communication. I count 14 individual examples of (from a university perspective) actionable speech, and if the threats she spews were to be taken seriously, campus security and possibly the outside authorities could be called in. Certainly if this (excuse me) cunt were an African American or Saudi boy the police would be called.
Unfortunately she seems so damaged it does appear that newfound humanity, humility and respect for others will be the result of this landmark tirade.
- I don't think she quite gets how "literally" is supposed to be used.
- I love one of the reader comments at R25's link:
"I have never been so sure of anything in my life than the fact that this chick will let you put it in her ass."
- I read that too r63, I have to agree with him.
- I love her.
- Count me in as a fan. Especially if she goes back door.
- So she'll pretty much have her dream employment with positions at Lad Mags, those tacky publications like Stuff or Maxim, that rely on tacky women such as Rebecca Martenson or whatever her tacky name is.
Well done, babe! You've just set most women back while advertising your tits and your cunt widely for sale in lieu of your sorority sisters.
- Am I the only one who finds it disturbing at all of the comments on Gawker that are praising this little rich white cunt? It's scary seeing what people admire.
- She reminds me of nothing so much as Parker Posey's character in DAZED & CONFUSED.
- I bet you there is going to be SERIOUS retribution coming to whoever leaked that email to the general public. I'm sure the Queen Bee is running a Gestapo style interrogation session as we speak.
"None of you dumb twats will sleep or eat until you tell me which cunting whore ratted me the FUCK OUT!!! Don't even think of escaping because I have a sawed off shotgun and I'm not afraid to use it, bitches!!!"
- The really sad part is that she scored higher on the SAT than I did.
- Funny dramatic reading of the rant by Alison Haislip. She really nails it.
- r7 I am pissing myself laughing...
- Little rich white sorority cunt who's a racist and homophobic.
They're a dime a dozen.
- People here and elsewhere who say they love this bitch and want to be friends with her were probably the same people that sucked up to the mean girls in high school as if their lives depended on it. It's kind of pathetic.
- Alison Haislip is AWESOME. Her dramatic reading was GREAT. Thanks R72
- I hate my sister Julie.
- printing and hanging this in my cube - she put those bitches IN THEIR PLACE!
- [quote]Funny dramatic reading of the rant by Alison Haislip. She really nails it.
I was hoping John Lithgow would read it on Colbert like the gingrich letter. Sigh....
- I'm surprised she didn't threaten her sisters with her shitbra.
- I'm a nobody and I want to be like her.
- Racist, homophobic and intellectually stunted...of COURSE so many DLers want to be her friends! She'd fit right in here.
- On top of everything else, she has no upper lip. Age will be a bitch to her.
- She would actually be a fantastic drill instructor.
- If there's a revival of "Once Upon A Mattress," they could use her to punch up the dialog for Queen Aggravain.
- I do like her, but she needs to work on her racism. It wasn't quite edgy or bold enough for my liking.
- [quote]I'd like to see a dramatic recitation of this speech. It'd make one hell of an audition monologue.
You need to do this, r38, and post it on YouTube for our enjoyment.
- [quote]I love her. It's like as if Heather Chandler had lived and gone to college.
Fuck me gently with a chainsaw!
- This could follow her for decades.
- At this day and age when every potential employer scours the web for any available information on a job applicant, she may just live to regret it. Unless, of course, she wants the job of running a Nevada brothel.
- She's a year behind me in college, I'd love to see her yell at someone in public like that.
- Someone on Gawker said they would pay to hear Samuel L. Jackson do a reading of the email on iTunes.
- This toothpick is threatening to punch someone in the face? This bitch needs her ass kicked.
- In other spoiled-sorostitute news:
- That would be fucking awesome, r92!
- R74, did you mean to call yourself an "ugly slut?"
- It makes me sad to read the link at R94. I was in Bloomington from '88 to '93 as a grad student. I don't recall a homeless problem there, at least not in central B'ton. Students boozing it up and making fun of the homeless. Nice.
- r97, Bloomington has become overrun with homeless and meth users. It is nothing like what it was when you were there.
- Can someone please concisely explain what the fuck this cunt is ranting about?
- She's the new Lisa Lampanelli!
- How do these braindead soccer-moms-to-be even manage to pass exams, study or graduate in the first place?
Are they all studying media-management/communications or something?
- Honestly, I thought it was fucking hilarious when I read it, despite the Mean Girl vibe.
I still do, despite reading her entitled racist, homophobic twitter page.
I also agree with other Gawker commenters re: the grammar. It's a lot better than the majority of blogs/comments online.
- The e-mail could be turned into a great YouTube video with a chorus background chanting things like YOU. DON'T. GO, YOU. DON'T. GO, YOU. DON'T. GO and CHEER FOR OUR GODDAMN TEAM, CHEER FOR OUR GODDAMN TEAM, CHEER FOR OUR GODDAMN TEAM.
- P.M.S.: I luv u
- Quit giving this rancid clot credit for "cunt punting." It's a common campus expression. Christ. Just put her down, please.
- I've had my cunt punted so many times, it oozes pus and makes fart sounds when I put pressure on my distended mid section to pick up off the floor the string of potatoes I use as anal beads.
I've had people in truck stops tell me it smells rancid, but I don't even notice the smell anymore -- sometimes having cocaine-related septum damage is really a blessing in disguise. One of the only good things to come from my years as a whore on the Tex-Mex border.
- [quote]I also agree with other Gawker commenters re: the grammar. It's a lot better than the majority of blogs/comments online.
You'd hope so. She mentions being a TA for an English class in one of her tweets.
- She likes it raw.
Protection is overrated.
- So not only is she a cunt, she's a DUMB cunt to boot. A regular CDC petri dish that one.
This just keeps getting better and better.
- I think we identified another sociopath, boys. Karla Homolka is probably contacting her as we type.
- Sociopath? She's just an officious, petty, tiny-minded little idiot who takes unimportant things much too seriously.
She's not going to grow up to be a serial killer, she's going to grow up to be the office manager who chews you out for using too much printer paper.
- R111 wins.
- R111 fails. Not all sociopaths are murderers, dear. Does R111 even know what a sociopath is?
- I. Love. Her!
She sounds just like the girls I hung out with in college. 8 out of 10, mid tier sorority, on the slutty side and all bitch.
- Her tweet about not getting hired because she was participating in orgies is hilarious.
No, she's going to work in Human Resources.
- Did she ever respond to the attention and criticism over this?
- Wow. She went too far.
- Love the chick who read the letter at the link. Well done.
- She should join the Army.
- Agree with R119. That was masterful. Didn't look like she was reading it either.
Also agree with R120. She would make an AWESOME drill sergeant. Same with that loony lez who went on a rant about no one forwarding her Facebook posts during the election.
- LOVES me some Michael Shannon! His reading of the letter is positively HILARIous!
- If this bitch could tone down the mentally disabled/gay/disabled epithets, she would be epic -- a prophet for spoiled American asshole kids with no manners.
- Has anyone considered the fact that she may have just been addressing recent pledges/rookie sisters and treating them like scum (hazing style) because that’s what they do at those stupid Greek institutions? Obviously the whole thing has gone viral, so am I too naïve to even bring this up?
- An email is now a form/part of hazing? Doubt it r125
- DL classic, R15? My friends and I have been using "cunt punt" for years.
- This chick inhabits a strange, pinched little world. Why is this particular fraternity so important to her?
- Reminds me why I'm queer.
- I have the complete protype of this girl as a client (and she sounds just like Haislip). She is indeed in a sorority, and I wouldn't blink an eye if I heard she had fashioned such a letter (sans bigotry--this is not her style, in fact, she loves to "cunt punt" anyone who even gets close to breathing a word of homophobia or any kind of bigotry).
Sometimes it's a challenge to keep a straight face during therapy because she's funny as hell.
I kinda love her (in a professional way, of course).
Many years ago I wrote an email that also "went viral" before the term existed. Even though it's now been 18 years since I wrote the damn thing, it still pops up as the first thing you see if you google me.
When it happened, my inbox was flooded, as were the inboxes of my coworkers and several friends and relatives. I lost a job over it, and I still have to explain it to this day. Worse, I am forced to explain not only my original email, but also a lot of the incorrect, false commentary which accompanied many of the forwards. Things like "look at this note from a guy who was angry at getting arrested for stealing from his company" or "I know him and he has a serious crack problem!"
What I mean to say is that these things can be a huge mess and get way out of hand real fast. My situation was quite limited in a lot of ways: it was only transmitted via email; there was no picture of me accompanying it; there weren't (too many) places on the internet at the time where people could congregate and pile-on the way there are now; it never reached the level of being reported in any established media. And yet, it was still more than enough to completely devastate me. I had to rebuild personally and professionally; and it took many years and many countless hours of therapy.
Therefore, I always have a soft spot for people who get caught in these viral videos or texts, which now spread nearly instantly, along with many personal details (and lies) about the person and often cruel and disturbing commentary.
I don't know what this chick "deserves" but you should all rest easy knowing that she will get that and more in spades. She will NEVER live this down.
- R132, I think she will embrace it and use her "fame" to get ahead in some way. I heard she's already fielding job offers. I'll bet there are lots of companies who would want a take no prisoners shark like her on their sales teams.
- She's apparently a heavy twitter user...truly a gift from baby Jesus.
a sample of her bon mots:
"I like my men like I liked my karate movies...vaguely asian but white enough that I can understand what they're saying"
Dec 15, 2:39pm
No, she is not fielding offers. No, she will not get a job out of this. No one is out there saying "she is just we want for our company." Any interview situation for the rest of her life will be extremely uncomfortable and awkward, and she will always have an internal debate about whether to reveal her web notoriety or say nothing and hope for the best.
Nothing good will come of it for her. That isn't to say she might not have a couple of media appearances in the next few weeks, maybe even some outlet as notable as The Soup. But no, she will not turn any of this into a career.
- Well, R135, not everyone aspires to be an accountant or school teacher.
- Please let me know when Samuel L. Jackson does this.
- This sort of thing is so much more fun when the person's identity is not revealed. If it gets famous anonymously, then every girl in her sorority (and the other sororities on campus) will point at her and laugh, and that's appropriate payback for her behavior. If the whole world points at her and laugh, HR departments will know and it becomes kind of sad.
What kind of jerk needs to dig into stuff like this? That girl may be an idiot, but she wasn't hurting anyone who couldn't pay her back.
- Delta Gamma is a lower tier sorority at UMCP anyway (I have two sisters there). It has a reputation for having awkward girls in it, so the fact that she's complaining about a known thing just makes her look like a poser. If she was so cool, she would have gotten into a better sorority.
- Give it a rest, R138. She's a college kid, not an employee who embezzled money from her company. Every single college kid has embarrassing pictures and tweets that will live forever on-line.
- $138, and all the others who gloat over employer internet-snooping:
One of these days, an employer is going to get sued in a major way for distributing defamatory material within its offices that originated online. That little immunity (Section 230) that protects internet users and websites does not apply the second it moves in the real world. With the two worlds merging like never before, it's just a matter of time before someone actually questions when it became legitimate for employers to seek out lies online, and stick them in someone's HR file.
There's also a tort called "failure to hire in the public interest," as well as several statutes protecting victims of harsasment and stalking. An interview like this is also inevitable:
HR: "We found this about you online. Care to explain it?"
JA: "So you're saying you found something false, written by someone who is cyberstalking me, and instead of just ignoring it like any decent person would, you printed it, distributed it to your co-workers, and are making decisions which impact my career and your company's future based on unverfiied, anonymous statements you read online?"
Most people here would have loved the Soviet Union, that's for sure.
- This is the logical outcome of a society that values youth and beauty over intellect and merit. The woman is living, breathing testimony to the obvious, and that's what we can't stand.
- I agree with R142.
- Too bad it wasn't recorded.
- No they don't R136/140 etc...
- I used to call women like that "frat droppings" for a reason.
- She has "resigned" from Delta Gamma.
- Haha, she was "cunt punted"
- Her email was so ridiculously over the top. You know she was practically touching herself as she wrote it.
- Actually, I can think of at least TWO companies right off of the top of my head that LOVE cunts like her for management positions. One of them a very famous international company that will do ANYTHING to keep their squeaky clean image intact.
The nastier the better - as long as you never put it in writing and you pray your employees aren't smart enough to start taping your reviews.
[quote]Actually, I can think of at least TWO companies right off of the top of my head that LOVE cunts like her for management positions.
The question isn't whether any company (or many companies) "LOVE cunts like her for management positions." The question is whether any company will want THIS GIRL in any position of any kind. And the answer is no. Not a single one will. She cannot and will not be hired through anything approximating the "normal" job application process. She is far too toxic and damaged, and this will be a permanent condition, as true 10, 20, or 30 years from now as it is today. The internet has a long memory.
As far as I can tell, her employment options are:
1) Not even try to find a job and just start her own business;
2) Find an understanding family member or family friend who is hiring her exclusively as a favor;
3) civil service jobs that are barred from taking this kind of information into the hiring process;
4) work for an organization where her experience is directly linked to the work she would be doing. Something similar to when ex-drug addicts work at rehab centers or ex cons work in community youth programs (mind you, I can't quite think of an organization where her experience quite fits this model, but there might be one).
5) Fuck it all: screw work and screw the right Sigma Nu so she never has to work.
So I am not saying she will never find any kind of employment, but it will be through exceedingly narrow channels.
r135, HR Guy
- HR Guy speaks like a typical HR person who thinks the only professional options in the WORLD are corporate employment in companies like his.
I am not a fan of this chick and, though her options may have diminished somewhat, there are still all kinds of employment opportunities and employers who don't give a rat's ass about something that appears on TV, You Tube and/or Facebook.
Plus, her chances increase if she happens to have a marketable or special skill. Or, if she continues into higher education professions like healthcare, law, etc.
If then controversial Renee Richards was able to have a successful medical practice in the 70's and 80's based on her professional merits (and her sex change was publicized everywhere), and Vanessa Williams was able to bounce back on talent - and the publicity her scandal garnered - what's not to say this woman has options?
Though something tells me she's not the neurologist or rocket science type, my point is that there's MUCH more to life than molding your career around interviews with the likes of r135 (or me for that matter).
Open your mind, r135. It's not corporations or marriage.
- [quote]One of these days, an employer is going to get sued in a major way for distributing defamatory material within its offices that originated online.
Cupcake? It's not "defamation" if it's true. Furthermore, it would appear you know zilch about defamation law if you think an employer could be successfully sued for Googling someone and asking them about the results in a job interview.
[quote]She is far too toxic and damaged, and this will be a permanent condition, as true 10, 20, or 30 years from now as it is today.
Honey, all she has to do to avoid this mess is to change her name. She can do that either by a) going by her middle name professionally instead of her first name, or b) getting married and taking her husband's name. (And please don't tell me that "her application will have her middle name on it." The only time I've *ever* filled out a formal application in 25 years of employment was when I sacked groceries at the local supermarket in high school.)
- She's kept an exceptionally low profile since this happened. By the time she graduates, few people will remember this incident, let alone her name.
- [quote]few people will remember this incident, let alone her name
My god you people are dense. It's not a matter of whether this incident will enter into the history books and be taught to future generations, or whether there will be daily updates on cnn... what matters (to her) is that this incident will follow her forever, everywhere she goes, and there is nothing she will be able to do about it. I am not gleeful about this: in fact, I think the punishment she has suffered in terms of public humiliation, and the punishment she will continue to suffer in terms of diminished opportunities and permanently tarnished reputation, vastly outweigh the "crime" of liberal use of coarse language in a single email.
[quote]there are still all kinds of employment opportunities and employers who don't give a rat's ass about something that appears on TV, You Tube and/or Facebook.
Like what? Enlighten us. I would love to know which employers wouldn't care about a potential hire's foul-mouthed rant gaining her widespread infamy and notoriety. I actually outlined several viable options for her (you can read, correct?), but they are vastly narrower than they would have been absent this incident.
r135, HR Guy
- HR guy, unclench. When she's out of school in a year or two or three, and she applies for a job, some company may do an extensive background check on her. But for an entry level job for a new graduate, probably not. They might check her social media profile, and she has a lot of time to clean that up. There are companies that do that for you now.
She's already deleted her facebook and Twitter accounts. If she's smart, she'll start showing up for volunteer work, and before she knows it, her social media profile will be full of photos of her building houses for Habitat for Humanity.
- [quote]Like what? Enlighten us.
If she's qualified for the job, pretty much any company with less than 20 people in it, for crying out loud. I don't mean to come down hard on you, just that you need to see things beyond your corporate shell. Have you ever worked in small firms? They are not as caught up in the hiring-hurdle bureaucracy as corporations.
- [quote]may do an extensive background check
You mean like entering her name into google?
Whatever. Good luck to her. I kind of liked the note.
r135, HR Guy
- HR Guy, your perspective is warped because you have a modicum of power. You get 200 applications for every job, so you think you rule the world and that EVERYONE wants to work for your company.
What makes you think this English major is interested in a job as a corporate drone? Im sure she has other plans.
BTW--I'd hire her. She's got balls.
- She has balls, R159? She wrote an email that was stupid and immature, trying to make herself sound tough. Probably one of the reasons it was leaked is because she's a nobody in real life and people were laughing at her.
Go ahead and hire her for your small business.
My "warped" perspective is shared by the CEO of Reputation.com. Might want to tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about either.
Some of you people really have no idea how to think things through.
"So why has Martinson’s screed been such popular online fodder? Many reasons, according to Michael Fertik, founder and CEO of Reputation.com, who told CNN it was because of the "mean girls" stereotype... And, he added, the email could follow the college junior for years. "The Internet is forever,” Fertik added. “Unfortunately for her, her ‘online tattoo’ will stick with her for a long, long time—and it will likely color how peers, future employers, grad school admissions officers, etc., regard her as a person."