All Threads by Date
The exuberance of Dorothy Squires
She makes Judy Garland look like Astrid Gilberto!
- Good Lord. I've never heard of this woman before, but now I'm her most devoted fan!
She has almost as many gestures in her arsenal as Mitzi Gaynor.
- Has anyone verified that she's female?
- Hand claws, pointing, unhinged jaw. There's just so much to look at. And the diction!
At :42 she hikes up her dress and it's fantastic.
- Nice voice.
- I heard a BBC Radio 2 doc on her a few months ago. Highly entertaining - she was a real mess. She was married to 007 Roger Moore (12 years her junior) in the 1950s.
- I'm bumping this because I feel this woman should be a DL icon.
- Shirley Bassey has admitted to cribbing her phrasing and belting style.
- Gawd! Mess doesn't even begin to describe her. DL icon? No, DL Goddess!
- Earrings! Caftans! Gnashing of teeth!
She's the Spirit of Datalounge Incarnate!
- [quote]She has almost as many gestures in her arsenal as Mitzi Gaynor.
Please. She makes Mitzi look like Keely Smith.
- I keep thinking this is a character dreamed up by Catherine O'Hara back in the SCTV days.
- R12 Exactly! She's Lola Heatherton's drunk aunt!
- Dorothy somehow makes "Say it With Flowers" terrifying, and then attacks her accompanist at the end.
- I saw her in a vanity concert at Carnegie Hall 30 years ago. People who compare her to Garland are way off the beam.
- Now we know what a lesbichild of Barbra Streisand and Carol Channing might look like.
I know I was curious.
- Why can't Beyonce wear outfits more like this?
- She sort reminds me of Eva Las Vegas, that wretched drag queen from New Orleans whose iconic photo has been posted here before.
DataLounge get your fix of gay gossip, news and pointless bitchery.
Talking to DataLounge servers.
Please wait a moment...