All Threads by Date
The exuberance of Dorothy Squires
She makes Judy Garland look like Astrid Gilberto!
- Good Lord. I've never heard of this woman before, but now I'm her most devoted fan!
She has almost as many gestures in her arsenal as Mitzi Gaynor.
- Has anyone verified that she's female?
- Hand claws, pointing, unhinged jaw. There's just so much to look at. And the diction!
At :42 she hikes up her dress and it's fantastic.
- Nice voice.
- I heard a BBC Radio 2 doc on her a few months ago. Highly entertaining - she was a real mess. She was married to 007 Roger Moore (12 years her junior) in the 1950s.
- I'm bumping this because I feel this woman should be a DL icon.
- Shirley Bassey has admitted to cribbing her phrasing and belting style.
- Gawd! Mess doesn't even begin to describe her. DL icon? No, DL Goddess!
- Earrings! Caftans! Gnashing of teeth!
She's the Spirit of Datalounge Incarnate!
- [quote]She has almost as many gestures in her arsenal as Mitzi Gaynor.
Please. She makes Mitzi look like Keely Smith.
- I keep thinking this is a character dreamed up by Catherine O'Hara back in the SCTV days.
- R12 Exactly! She's Lola Heatherton's drunk aunt!
- Dorothy somehow makes "Say it With Flowers" terrifying, and then attacks her accompanist at the end.
- I saw her in a vanity concert at Carnegie Hall 30 years ago. People who compare her to Garland are way off the beam.
- Now we know what a lesbichild of Barbra Streisand and Carol Channing might look like.
I know I was curious.
- Why can't Beyonce wear outfits more like this?
- She sort reminds me of Eva Las Vegas, that wretched drag queen from New Orleans whose iconic photo has been posted here before.
- Bump, goddammit.
- This woman was a goddess. I heard about her from my mother who always said "he's a nasty piece of work" whenever Roger Moore was on TV. When I eventually saw her on some TV show it was hooked.
- Have you ever seen so much peroxide and campiness in one place before?
- Her "My Way" is fabulous.
- She sounds like what Lauren Bacall wanted to sound like when she sang.
- If Carol Burnett and Julie Andrews had a daughter.....
- I love that she always travelled with her old love letters from Roger Moore.
DataLounge get your fix of gay gossip, news and pointless bitchery.
Talking to DataLounge servers.
Please wait a moment...